Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A Place to Call Home

I just discovered this Australian drama on Acorn. David Berry plays a hunky,closeted gay. Any other fans?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 19, 2020 3:34 AM

I loved it!

Fasten your seatbelt for Regina, later on...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 3, 2018 2:13 AM

Looks interesting. Thanks for the tip, OP!

by Anonymousreply 2January 3, 2018 2:17 AM

I've watched eight episodes. I don't want to spoil anything but I'm hoping William will visit and there will be a love triangle with James and Harry.

by Anonymousreply 3January 3, 2018 2:27 AM

He's also playing a gay character on Outlander.

by Anonymousreply 4January 3, 2018 3:14 AM

It has great clothes...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 3, 2018 6:13 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 3, 2018 6:15 AM

And of course, Regina, looking fab as she bitches everything up, as usual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 3, 2018 6:19 AM

I only watched it for the gay storylines. Henry Fox is a sexy dreamy doctor, but the magnificent specimen that is Harry Poulson was just beyond beautiful. He was the main reason I watched... but sadly, I think his character has left the show for good now...

Also Regina is a GODDESS!! "Call it a review of your pedestrian prose!!" **SLAP** Lololol.

by Anonymousreply 8January 3, 2018 6:55 AM

I love how Harry is always strutting around bare chested and sweaty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 3, 2018 7:00 AM

[quote]R8 Also Regina is a GODDESS!! "Call it a review of your pedestrian prose!!" **SLAP** Lololol.

SARAH: Did he shoot George deliberately, or not? REGINA: That depends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 3, 2018 7:20 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 3, 2018 7:22 AM

The scenes of James being tortured to cure his homosexuality were brutal.

by Anonymousreply 12January 4, 2018 7:43 PM

I am watching the latest season now and - SPOILER ALERT - I am so bummed that David Berry has left the show and only shows up in one scene around episode 7. I guess he left doing Outlander. I have not yet managed to wacth the season to the end.

The previous season was so awesome, so campy (Regina going totally mad!) and very gay with three gay characters and a private gay party in later episodes.

by Anonymousreply 13January 4, 2018 7:49 PM

R13 I was planning on catching up with James/Henry's storyline until I read about his only 1 appearance and then exit and also saw (Spoilers) that apparently Henry, who knows full well he is gay, bones James' sister. (Rmfe)

So, yeah, guess I'll just skip it... sigh.

by Anonymousreply 14January 4, 2018 7:59 PM

r14, yeah, I read that, too and now I am not really that eager to keep watching (even though I have only a few episodes left). It's just not as fun as the previous season. And the whole stuff about Regina trying to make amends and helping to take down her former partner in crime is kind of tedious.

by Anonymousreply 15January 4, 2018 8:06 PM

I've watched the entire series and found it GREAT. Very hot men. One of my favorite Netflix finds. Also, check out Grand Hotel. There are a couple of versions, Spanish, English, they're all fun plus Velvet.

by Anonymousreply 16January 4, 2018 8:08 PM

A gay man must have done the casting. The men are prettier than the ladies. Also if they ever need someone to play Princess Diana the actress who plays Sarah would be perfect.

by Anonymousreply 17January 4, 2018 8:15 PM

Patchy Soap.

Brief glimpses of pretty gay characters

Very annoying Jewish Meryl-Streep-imitator martyr in the main role

Nice houses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 4, 2018 8:31 PM

Season 5 gets great at the end when they defeat Sir Richard and he plays his final trump card, and then they tie it all up fairly quickly. Nice ending.

by Anonymousreply 19January 7, 2018 1:00 PM

[quote]Also, check out Grand Hotel.

I did not realize Grand Hotel was back. I had just started the third season when it got pulled. I will have to go back and finish it (and I was just thinking about cancelling Netflix - It might have to wait another month).

by Anonymousreply 20January 7, 2018 1:08 PM

Cable Girls is very similar to Grand Hotel. Done by the same production company. Also Velvet. All have the same basis premise. Small town girl comes to big city and goes to work for a major company (Hotel, Department Store, Telephone Company) and then falls in love with the rich and handsome owner's son who will one day run the company. The parents try to stop the romance as their son has to marry within the same class. There are competing love interests for both the rich son and small town girl. The small town girl has a group of friends/co-workers with their own problems and also help her ultimately catch the rich son and live happily ever after.

by Anonymousreply 21January 7, 2018 7:59 PM

I wish it had more male nudity.

by Anonymousreply 22January 7, 2018 11:28 PM

Does anyone else hate Olivia? I'm glad the stupid cow got fucked and dumped by that painter.

by Anonymousreply 23January 7, 2018 11:31 PM

[quote] Does anyone else hate Olivia? I'm glad the stupid cow got fucked and dumped by that painter.

Oh, no! She's sweet. How did you expect her to react to being married to a liar?

I don't remember her really hurting anyone in the show, long term. Did she?

Olivia is an ally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 8, 2018 12:02 AM

James literally went through torture because he wanted to be "normal" for Olivia and their baby. He never cheated but Olivia was on her back the first chance she got. She lied to James about their dead baby and let him believe Georgie was his. Then bitch has the nerve to be disgusted when she sees James and Henry together.

by Anonymousreply 25January 8, 2018 12:08 AM

Great show and so is Velvet. Too bad the latter is over.

by Anonymousreply 26January 8, 2018 3:29 AM

The first four seasons were GREAT. Haven't seen anything of season 5 yet, but it sounds like it may have dropped off a bit

The actress who plays Sarah is Marta Dusseldorp; she is fabulous. She is also in an Australian series, JANET KING, in which she plays an out lesbian lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 27January 8, 2018 4:04 AM

Season 5 is ok, but its biggest problem (apart from almost no James and no Gino at all - except in a brief flashback) is that if comes after the marvelous season 4 and I don't know if that counts as spoiler but the Regina from season 5 is most certainly not the Regina from season 4.

[quote]James literally went through torture because he wanted to be "normal" for Olivia and their baby.

Olivia was always very supportive of James and begs him not to do it from the start. I imagine she could have been ok with both of them having affairs on the side while staying together for their son. SPOILER, she gets her happy ending with a new guy in season 5.

by Anonymousreply 28January 8, 2018 5:22 AM

What bothers me a bit about season 5 is Sarah. SPOILER - early in the season she pretty much blackmails George to have their son be raised Jewish or there's going to be no wedding. I thought that was a bit out of character for her, especially after what George went through with Sarah's first husband. But she gets a great episode when she spots a former Nazi guard at an event.

by Anonymousreply 29January 8, 2018 5:27 AM

[quote] Season 5 is ok, but its biggest problem (apart from almost no James and no Gino at all - except in a brief flashback)

He was a horrible, misogynistic pig. And severely overrated his worth.

by Anonymousreply 30January 8, 2018 5:48 AM

Apparently, we can expect a Season 6 in 2018. The Australians love to draw out their drama for a long time. Sometimes past the due date. I got sucked into another Australian drama called "Off Spring." It's basically Grey's Anatomy meets Bridget Jones. It's very cute but damn is it long. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure. Some hot guys and a little gay (lesbians). I think it has finally ended after Season 7 but there are rumbling of a Season 8.

by Anonymousreply 31January 8, 2018 7:52 PM

JANET KING is well worth your time!

by Anonymousreply 32January 8, 2018 7:55 PM

There will be a season 6? How and more importantly: Why? There was no cliffhanger of sorts and all the stories had been resolved (including a heartwarming hug between George and his son James "at the Rivera").

SPOILER

And without Regina what sort of drama could there be? Introduce a new villain would indicate they hope to keep the series running beyond season 6. But then I doubt anyone could beat Jenni Bair's performance as villain in season 4 and rehabilitating the hell out of her character in season 5.

by Anonymousreply 33January 8, 2018 8:01 PM

Thanks OP! I'd not heard of it, but I'm about 7 episodes in. I'm trying not to read much of this thread so I don't get spoiled, but I will say I'm crushing a bit on "daddy" Brett Climo!

Almost all the men on the show are handsome, actually.

by Anonymousreply 34January 13, 2018 1:49 AM

Okay OP, thanks! I've been snowed in for four days and I watched all 5 seasons!

--SPOLIERS---

I didn't like season 5 as much without James and Harry, but while it didn't bother me SO much that Henry and Anna fucked, I do hope that Henry gets a love interest for season 6. Maybe Harry comes back?

It does get a little contrived towards the end -- trying to keep so many characters to have a reason for being at Ash Park. It seems like Olivia is done--it would really be pushing credibility if she and her surfer hubby stayed in Australia.

I like the lead actress. She reminds me of Gillian Anderson, but with height and warmth.

Shocked they killed off Regina, but I guess she'd run her course. I'm having a hard time picturing what season 6 would be...they will have to come up with a big bad, I guess.

Didn't realize until the end that the villainous Sir Richard was Mark Lee, the cute twink from GALLIPOLI and gay classic EVERLASTING SECRET FAMILY!

by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2018 6:28 AM

The show was renewed for a sixth season

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2018 1:35 AM

It is not on Netflix. Where can I find it?

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2018 1:55 AM

Just started watching. Is it worth watching?

by Anonymousreply 38December 27, 2018 3:31 AM

This looks good but I don’t have Acorn. Going to see if it’s on any other streaming services.

by Anonymousreply 39December 27, 2018 3:33 AM

What the hell is "Acorn"?!? Never even heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 40December 27, 2018 3:34 AM

Yes. It's good, if you like that kind of period drama.

Very good cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 27, 2018 3:36 AM

[quote]r40 What the hell is "Acorn"?!? Never even heard of it.

It's a cable channel specifically for Brittish and foreign projects.

[quote] Acorn TV streams world-class mysteries, dramas, and comedies from Britain and beyond.

by Anonymousreply 42December 27, 2018 3:38 AM

I downloaded it from Pirate bay. You can get it there.

by Anonymousreply 43December 27, 2018 3:40 AM

If you are an Amazon Prime member Acorn TV is $4.99 a month. If not, it is $12.99 a month.

by Anonymousreply 44December 27, 2018 3:59 AM

Finally started watching this on Acorn. Berry is indeed a beautiful young man. And Noni Hazlehurst is fabulous as the bitchy Mrs. Bligh.

by Anonymousreply 45February 5, 2019 12:56 AM

The girl who plays Anna looks a lot like Ivanka. I bet she’ll play her in the inevitable film version about the Asshole-in-Chief.

by Anonymousreply 46February 5, 2019 3:24 AM

I want a prequel set in turn of the century Australia with young Elizabeth and her homo hubby.

by Anonymousreply 47February 7, 2019 7:26 PM

The man who plays Sarah’s husband Rene is gorgeous. And they’re also apparently married in real life. Is it a marriage of convenience? Wouldn’t be surprised if she’s a lesbian and he enjoys the homosex.

by Anonymousreply 48February 12, 2019 10:22 PM

[quote]The actress who plays Sarah is Marta Dusseldorp; she is fabulous

For me a little Dusseldorp goes a long way.

Always, always sanctimonious as shit.

I think she's even worse on Janet King. Her obsession with sperm is almost enough to make me dislike the stuff.

by Anonymousreply 49February 12, 2019 10:30 PM

I just watched the episode of Miss Fisher's that featured David Berry as the killer.

He certainly seems to have hit the gym since 2012 when he did that part.

by Anonymousreply 50February 12, 2019 10:39 PM

David Berry reminds me a lot of the beautiful young actor William McNamara. He did some TV, was in the Bette Midler remake of Stella and then disappeared. I think he gave up acting. It’s possible he was from a wealthy family and daddy gave him a job in his business.

by Anonymousreply 51February 12, 2019 11:33 PM

Remember when Billy played Monty in that Liz biopic, r51? So fucking adorable.

by Anonymousreply 52February 12, 2019 11:34 PM

Oh, right, R52. Berry really does remind me of him. Gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 53February 13, 2019 12:08 AM

According to his imdb McNamara is still working today, albeit not in high profile projects.

by Anonymousreply 54February 13, 2019 12:09 AM

This is a great show. Strong seasons 1 to 4, seasons 5 and 6 aren't as great but still better than many things out there. David Berry appears in more Season 6 episodes than Season 5, but it's clear that he no longer had the same availability to be on the show that much, his scenes are quick and not really important.

SPOILER ALERT

However, the final season has plenty of Henry (no more hooking up with Anna) and the return of Harry! It's interesting to watch where things go from there. Season 6 is the end so the show wraps up the storylines and there's a nice epilogue in the end telling what happened to most characters. The show ends in 2018, bringing back old Sarah (which we saw back in Season 2).

by Anonymousreply 55February 13, 2019 12:10 AM

Just started Season 3. Elizabeth never comes back! The actress who played her was so good.

by Anonymousreply 56February 13, 2019 5:45 PM

Sorry, that was meant to be a question about Elizabeth.

by Anonymousreply 57February 13, 2019 5:45 PM

I binged watched this last fall. I agree wholeheartedly with the poster above who said a little of Sarah goes a long way. Overall loved the show except for her. I wouldn't watch Janet King if you paid me.

by Anonymousreply 58February 13, 2019 7:34 PM

Sara Wiseman (Carolyn Bligh) and Craig Hall (dr Jack) are married kiwi actors.

I stopped watching when they put in the gay doctor fucking that little blonde hoe. Mary me all you want, but I am so sick of every gay character having some homoflexible moment or whatever. Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 59February 13, 2019 8:05 PM

I searched and could not find a recap of season 6. Could anyone post a link I missed or give a recap?

I enjoyed the early seasons, but the show got to be too soapy for me. I think the last time I watched APTCH, that woman who was after George, murdered some guy in a car... she had gone off the rails which was great fun. I think George and Sarah and their baby were a family. George's son had gone gay.

I probably missed a lot, but I was only catching the show on a PBS station.

I wish The Dr. Blake Mysteries (another good Aussie program) had a thread on DL... I really enjoyed that program in its first seasons, but it got very soapy toward the end. Did Lucien ever marry Jean? I think TDBM was cancelled before they tied the knot.

by Anonymousreply 60February 13, 2019 9:49 PM

[quote]I stopped watching when they put in the gay doctor fucking that little blonde hoe. Mary me all you want, but I am so sick of every gay character having some homoflexible moment or whatever. Bullshit.

r59, I haven't watched the show consistently. So they made the 'gay' doctor bisexual?

by Anonymousreply 61February 14, 2019 12:49 AM

[quote]r58 I agree wholeheartedly with the poster above who said a little of Sarah goes a long way. Overall loved the show except for her.

What I've noticed with some long running TV shows is it's not the central character that's really the most interesting -it's all the varied people in their orbit that make the show sizzle.

Often you need someone who's on some kind of "honorable" journey, but it's the icebergs blocking their course that liven things up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 14, 2019 5:47 AM

Yes, I agree R62, good point. Elizabeth Bligh definitely had a life journey. I wound up really loving her by the end.

by Anonymousreply 63February 14, 2019 7:21 PM

Season 3 is a genuine slog to get through after the first two fabulous seasons. I suppose the absence of creator/writer Bevan Lee (damn, that Mary knows how to tell a story) had a lot to do with it. The actor who plays Rene is very pretty but they should have written him out by the third episode.

by Anonymousreply 64February 14, 2019 10:45 PM

Saw YT footage of the series creator Bevan Lee and he seems old enough to have been a young fan of Another World in the 1970s which I gather was a big hit Down Under back then. Blonde nurse Sarah really does seem to be a variation on Alice with Regina a combination of Iris and Rachel.

by Anonymousreply 65February 24, 2019 2:29 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 66January 2, 2020 1:46 AM

I just finished all six seasons and want to talk about it (with spoilers):

- It's almost like three different takes on the same people. Season 1 and 2 are very "Downton Abbey" by way of Douglas Sirk ... so many tortured "inappropriate" relationships. Season 3 and 4 (and part of 5) are a trip straight to "Dynasty," complete with Regina as Alexis Colby. Season 5 and 6 turn nearly sentimental as they give all the characters reasonably happy endings.

- Whatever production change was made between seasons 2 and 3 -- wow! Not one single character smoked in the first two seasons; come season 3, nearly everyone was lighting up at all times. The same sets and clothes were used over and over in the first two seasons, but they must have realized during season 3 that people wanted to see glam period costumes and sets. The difference was stark.

- Like "Dynasty," they often just switched up characters and motivations as necessary. Carolyn started as the estranged bohemian sister, then suddenly became a relatively square member of the household. Regina went from villain to cartoon villain to victim. Anna started as a member of the gentry who fell in love with a farmer, and then she turned into a designer version of Grace Metalious. Anna also went from barren to getting knocked up in a one-night stand. Etc.

- LOVED Carolyn's Sydney apartment with all the modern art.

- Sarah's holier-than-thou act really got shopworn by the end of the show.

- As did Gino's on-again, off-again Chef-Boy-Ar-Dee Italian accent.

- Last: I didn't get what was supposed to be so special about Inverness, the "place to call home." It just seemed like a potsy, boring backwoods town without even much natural beauty.

But I loved the show! Here, have a shot of Dominic Allburn as proudly gay farmer Henry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 14, 2020 5:31 AM

I just finished Season 6. Dominc Allburn played my favorite character.

by Anonymousreply 68December 19, 2020 2:36 AM

R67

Dominic played proud gay farmer Harry, who plowed Dreamy Dr.Henry Fox!

by Anonymousreply 69December 19, 2020 3:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!