Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A Place to Call Home

Have any of you watched this Australian nighttime drama?

It is very soapy, but fun. And has a gay story. It takes place in early 1950s Australia and revolves around a conniving, rich, snobby cunt who looks like Aunt Bea, but who is constantly plotting.

They guys are cute and the storylines are so about to be over-the-top, but the acting is good enough (for the most part) to bring you back into the story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2018 9:29 PM

I loved this show! Binge watched 2 seasons in about a week. What fun! An old fashioned soaper with a gay storyline (complete with electro-shock conversion therapy) with a sensitive love story, PTSD, alcoholism, secret children, class warfare, murder, blackmail, family matriarch, amazing cars, a beautiful mansion and all set in Australia. The acting is good enough to keep you involved.

I loved the Christmas Past episode. Every cliche in the book, yet it has something a little extra that keeps you watching. I am looking forward to the next season.

by Anonymousreply 1July 30, 2015 5:13 PM

No but we will watch Please LIke Me season 3 starting tomorrow on Canadian Broadcast Corp.

by Anonymousreply 2July 30, 2015 5:25 PM

R1 I believe Season 2 was the last.

by Anonymousreply 3July 30, 2015 5:27 PM

No there will be more seasons. ABC I believe was airing it. They cancelled,but due to fan uproar it was picked up by Austalian cable network Foxtel. New eppies out I believe this September, but don't quote me.

by Anonymousreply 4July 30, 2015 7:33 PM

Just watched the end of Season 2 and DEMAND more, motherfuckers!

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2015 3:25 AM

The villains twirl their mustaches, but then do or say something that makes them seem human.

The only characters I did not like were the girl living with her EYE-talian boyfriend (what a ridiculous storyline!) or the rich boy in Sydney. They were not good actors and their stories made absolutely no sense.

I went to school in Sydney and had a love affair with a boy who now looks exactly like the doctor (only, I assume, he still has his dick).

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2015 3:49 PM

I tried watching the second season but couldn't get into it. It's such a fluff. I appreciate the gay storyline, though, but I was annoyed by the hospital stuff even if that might've been realistic. I guess I should sometimes try watching if from the beginning since the first season seems to have had the gay love affair.

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2015 3:55 PM

I missed the first season, but was able to pick up on what happened through flashbacks and discussions.

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2015 3:59 PM

It is total fluff, but I was in the mood for that, after watching some very dark European movies.

To me, it was like a slightly better written Dynasty.

by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2015 4:00 PM

Australia has some good / entertaining shows. Please Like Me, A Place to Call Home, and Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

by Anonymousreply 10July 31, 2015 4:06 PM

Where would I watch it?

by Anonymousreply 11July 31, 2015 4:51 PM

R11 I tried to watch it on PBS but they were repeats and out of order (or, at least, my DVR recorded them out of order).

I found season 2 on geektv.

by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2015 5:01 PM

I'm so happy the show is back! James is obviously gonna fuck that doctor. It's obvious he wants him.

by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2015 2:58 PM

I watched it to season 2 (which was a bit difficult with the gay conversion therapy horrors in early episodes) and I am currently catching up. I am now in season four episode two and the show is such a delight. I must say I am a bit surprised how little the show is discussed around here. The costumes, the scenery, and the man-candy (like Tim Draxl as James' love interest) is pretty great. I love the comedy relief character Doris Collins, the town gossip.

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2016 9:26 AM

r14 here. I am sorry for the grammar error.

The costumes, the scenery, and the man-candy (like Tim Draxl as James' love interest) ARE pretty great.

by Anonymousreply 15November 27, 2016 9:31 AM

I haven't seen the show in ages... the last episodes I watched revolved around Sarah an her European (French?) husband who had survived the horrors of WWII, but was a mess. Didn't he go of with a rifle and shoot George? Can anyone tell me what happened after that? I'm assuming George is still alive... what happened to Sarah's first husband?

by Anonymousreply 16November 27, 2016 9:54 AM

r14, just caught up (the final episode of season 4 should be available soon). Wow, that Regina is one crazy cold bitch (best female villain in a long time).

The gay characters and their storylines are quite nice (in season four there are three gay male characters and they are all hot looking!). In episode 11 season 4 James, Henry, and Harry join a private party and it shows how secretive the gay community was back then and how scared people were of outsiders (who could be narcs).

The show is borderline shameless (on a MTV's Teen Wolf level) of exploitive scenes featuring guys being shirtless. In one of the earlier episodes of season four James and Henry go to a beach to visit some hot looking gay friends at the beach where the guys (except timid James) play around in the water just wearing tight swimwear.

by Anonymousreply 17November 27, 2016 7:20 PM

It's kind of funny that every time at the end of the season someone claims to leave for good and yet still manages to be around next season, and the next ...

by Anonymousreply 18November 27, 2016 8:25 PM

Just finished season 4. What an excellent show. The sets, the characters, the costumes are all wonderful and the production values seem to get higher and higher with each season. During S1 they used the same stock footage of Sydney over and over. In S4 you actually saw a lot more exteriors which were lovely. Ash Park is picture-perfect. I got tired of the Geeno storyline and I hope he won't be coming back. The woman who plays Anna is so pretty but reminds me of Elizabeth Hasslebeck. Anyone else agree?

by Anonymousreply 19January 20, 2017 11:16 AM

The best series on American television, this is done by professionals who know what they are doing. Love the original music too, the 50s music not so much. Excellent actors and writing. Elizabeth and Sara are peerless at least on US made shows, no actress had even come close to their talent. They are up to season 5. When will 5 be available for the U.S Are they making season 6?

Oh and Michelle dear, try watching this for some real art, you think stupid Hamilton is it.

by Anonymousreply 20November 2, 2017 1:56 PM

Loved it and turned several friends and co-workers on to it who all loved it as well.

by Anonymousreply 21November 2, 2017 3:17 PM

The 6th season starts in Australia on Foxtel.

by Anonymousreply 22August 27, 2018 3:59 PM

Love the mansion!

by Anonymousreply 23August 27, 2018 4:04 PM

A little Marta Dusseldorp goes a looonnnggg way.

by Anonymousreply 24August 27, 2018 4:09 PM

I started watching it on youtube several years ago.. Then PBS started showing it. When I was in Australia last month, they were announcing the new upcoming season as the final season of the series. I have a lot of catching up to do.

by Anonymousreply 25August 27, 2018 4:21 PM

I enjoy a good soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 26August 27, 2018 4:26 PM

I love this show!! Just started watching on Acorn TV through Amazon Prime. Rotten tomatoes score: 100%. (You don't see that very often.) Can't wait to go home and binge watch this weekend. Favorites are Anna and Carolyn so far.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2018 7:55 PM

If you are enjoying A Place to Call Home (I love the early seasons, but it got too soapy for me) you should look for and watch the Dr. Blake Mysteries. I love the first three series, the program loses something by season four; I won't give my opinion, that's a spoiler.

Again, this is Australian, set in the 1950s. Nice period piece in the early seasons, I don't care for the 1960s as much.

One thing that's interesting (for an American) is seeing the Australian viewpoint of WWII.

Honestly, check out Dr. Blake.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2018 9:01 PM

Already watched, and loved Dr. Blake R28! Have you watched Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries? Loved that one too.

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2018 9:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!