Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Problems Do You Have With the Over hyped and Over Praised Call Me By Your Name:

(Other than the fans posting here are bat shit crazy)

1. Armie was too old for the role of Oliver = the Diana Ross The Wiz Effect. Oliver comes across as a mentally deficient. He actually looks older than his real age. Why cast a mediocre actor who is almost a decade older than the character and who looks 15 yrs older.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110January 18, 2018 3:15 AM

The only problem I have with it is dumbasses on here keep repeatedly creating new threads about it.

by Anonymousreply 1December 28, 2017 6:03 PM

My problem is with the haters trying to draw attention by hating in a really monotonous way.

by Anonymousreply 2December 28, 2017 6:04 PM

[quote] My problem is with the haters trying to draw attention by hating in a really monotonous way.

Yes how dare we point out what we disliked about the movie that we payed to see. I personally don't hate the movie. It was okay, but not great.

by Anonymousreply 3December 28, 2017 6:15 PM

My problem is I can't find it on a streaming site. Damn AMPAS and its crackdown on uploading screeners!

by Anonymousreply 4December 28, 2017 6:16 PM

It's a great film, OP.

And a stupid thread.

by Anonymousreply 5December 28, 2017 6:17 PM

Awesome, ANOTHER thread about the same movie. What - are there about 9 threads now? What's the point in creating another one?

by Anonymousreply 6December 28, 2017 6:18 PM

R4 try Kodi.

by Anonymousreply 7December 28, 2017 6:24 PM

[quote] Awesome, ANOTHER thread about the same movie. What - are there about 9 threads now? What's the point in creating another one?

There's too much craziness to wade through on the other threads.

by Anonymousreply 8December 28, 2017 7:25 PM

Yes Armie Hammer looks nowhere near 24 but then it was intentional I think. How many teenagers fantasize about going at it with an older man? Like EVERYONE? This movie was an homage to that fantasy. Let's not beat around the bush. So many of my friends are loving this relationship not inspite of Armie looking like Tim's uncle or teacher but because of it. I personally think Oliver was miscast but the difference in their ages and sizes isn't an accident. Armie did a passable job as Oliver but could've been better in the hands of a better actor.

by Anonymousreply 9December 28, 2017 7:57 PM

I abso-fucking-lutely agree with R9. Armie was no mistake. Not using an actor closer to 24 changed the entire dynamic of the story.

by Anonymousreply 10December 28, 2017 8:01 PM

[quote] I abso-fucking-lutely agree with [R9]. Armie was no mistake. Not using an actor closer to 24 changed the entire dynamic of the story.

Made it creepy and tone deaf for this particular moment in history.

by Anonymousreply 11December 28, 2017 8:17 PM

Your survey writing skills suck, since you don't have an option to disagree with your premise, ergo it's a leading question.

by Anonymousreply 12December 28, 2017 9:45 PM

No problem. It's terrific.

by Anonymousreply 13December 28, 2017 9:49 PM

Loved it. My only problem is idiots like OP who feel they need to take it down for some reason, and try to force it by creating polls that only skew in the direction they want.

by Anonymousreply 14December 28, 2017 9:53 PM

I loved it too

by Anonymousreply 15December 28, 2017 9:54 PM

I thought the dad's speech at the end was kind of creepy. Was the dad trying to tell his son something?

by Anonymousreply 16December 28, 2017 10:00 PM

I loved it and would not change a single thing in it.

by Anonymousreply 17December 28, 2017 10:01 PM

If you loved it and found now major flaws. Then please take your ass and your comments back to one of the 16 threads that you've already filled with your bat shit lunacy.

by Anonymousreply 18December 28, 2017 10:05 PM

I enjoyed the film but have a few observations.

#1. The gayest thing in the film was the Dad. This was evident in the scene where he and Oliver one-up each other about some obscure historical fact, again when they all admire the statue fragments brought up from the deep, and was most apparent in the overly precious father/son dialogue after Oliver departed. During some of the pauses I was beginning to think that Dad was hoping that Elio would fill him in on Oliver's dick size.

#2. What the heck was with all of the cigarette smoking ? All of the main characters smoked and Mom in particular was almost never seen without a butt. Perhaps if Dad was better at fulfilling his spousal duties Mom wouldn't need to look to caffeine for kicks.

#3. The young actor who played Elio gave the strongest performance. He had an appealingly natural quality which never flagged. It took me a while to warm to the actor playing Oliver but ultimately he proved equal to the role.

#4. It was a bit of a stretch to believe that a supposedly straight upper middle class famiily would be so accepting of Oliver and Elio's affair and have no worries about what it might portend for Elio's future.

by Anonymousreply 19December 28, 2017 10:16 PM

Oops, not caffeine, nicotine.

by Anonymousreply 20December 28, 2017 10:20 PM

Ansel Elgort would’ve made a better Oliver.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 28, 2017 10:21 PM

Ansel would've been completely unconvincing as a graduate student in any field outside of Business.

by Anonymousreply 22December 28, 2017 10:35 PM

Too many close ups of Timmy's armpits.

by Anonymousreply 23December 28, 2017 10:35 PM

[QUOTE]Ansel would've been completely unconvincing as a graduate student in any field outside of Business.

A little facial hair would’ve taken care of that.

by Anonymousreply 24December 28, 2017 10:49 PM

Italian critical bias.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 28, 2017 10:49 PM

Enough of this pretentious pederast wop propaganda. We want [italic]God's Own Country[/italic]!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 28, 2017 10:50 PM

How about the suggestion of anal sex with no preparation and no lubrication?

by Anonymousreply 27December 28, 2017 10:51 PM

[QUOTE]Enough of this pretentious pederast *** propaganda. We want God's Own Country!

Uhh, can’t you have both? Nothing wrong with discussing two films. Why don’t you make a thread for GOC?

by Anonymousreply 28December 28, 2017 10:52 PM

Because the better and more age-appropriate of the two films is not getting enough publicity. And frankly, yes it is disgusting to me that a country allows someone who isn't yet an adult to have sex but not to marry someone of the same sex.

by Anonymousreply 29December 28, 2017 10:57 PM

R19 Near every intellectual smoked in Italy in 1983. Different times. Besides, you can hardly do awards-level ACTING without a butt in your mouth at all times. Everyone knows that. Just ask Oldman's nicotine-stained face.

R27 Who said they had anal sex? I just assumed oral and frottage. And I love anal but for some reason, I didn't get the vibe here that they did it.

by Anonymousreply 30December 28, 2017 10:59 PM

I'd love for LG to have cast a couple of hot Euro gay actors closer in age and who'd have no problem with full frontal. But then we'd just get another God's Own Country and who's talking about that one?

by Anonymousreply 31December 28, 2017 11:02 PM

The book is pretty clear on that R30. Not as it's happening, but Oliver asks Elio if his hole hurts the next day and Elio ruminates on how his aching hole is going to remind him of Oliver and what they did. And then one morning at breakfast Elio is thinking about how he topped Oliver the night before (no detail, just a sentence to the effect that Oliver had let Elio top him.)

It seems that Ivory's original script had the first time anal sex scene it it, reads very similar to QAF, you see them in position and then see Elio's pain/pleasure face.

by Anonymousreply 32December 28, 2017 11:08 PM

[quote]reads very similar to QAF

Another attempt to normalize pederasty.

by Anonymousreply 33December 28, 2017 11:10 PM

[quote]Ansel Elgort would’ve made a better Oliver.

Ansel isnt a very strong actor, compared to Armie. Plus, Elgort looks way too young to play Oliver.

by Anonymousreply 34December 28, 2017 11:11 PM

Ansel is at 23 too young to play a 24 year old?

Armie Hammer is a strong actor?

by Anonymousreply 35December 28, 2017 11:14 PM

Nothing. It's a beautiful gay movie for straight people.

by Anonymousreply 36December 28, 2017 11:15 PM

[quote] Ansel isnt a very strong actor, compared to Armie. Plus, Elgort looks way too young to play Oliver

Do you know what a 24 yr old actually looks like?

Mediocre Armie is by no means strong.

by Anonymousreply 37December 28, 2017 11:16 PM

Ansel is 29, I'm quite sure.

by Anonymousreply 38December 28, 2017 11:16 PM

Ansel is too pretty boyish, and looks 18. Armie is macho looking, and he’s got that sexy voice!

by Anonymousreply 39December 28, 2017 11:18 PM

Ansel Elgort (born March 14, 1994) is an American actor, singer and a DJ (under the name Ansølo). As a film actor, he played Tommy Ross in the horror film Carrie (2013), Caleb Prior in The Divergent Series franchise, Augustus Waters in the romantic teen drama The Fault in Our Stars (2014), and the title character in Edgar Wright's action thriller Baby Driver (2017). He received a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy nomination for the last of these.

BorntMarch 14, 1994 (age 23)

New York City, New York, U.S.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 28, 2017 11:20 PM

Yes, and you can just imagine Armie using that sexy voice to say, “Get upstairs and finish your homework.”

The character was supposed to be 24. Timothée with his scrawny shoulders and brawny Ansel would’ve looked better together with a relationship that played closer to the book.

by Anonymousreply 41December 28, 2017 11:23 PM

I want a beautiful gay movie for gay people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 28, 2017 11:23 PM

[quote] Yes, and you can just imagine Armie using that sexy voice to say, “Get upstairs and finish your homework.”

Laying in bed together they softly whisper:

Call me by your name . . .

Uncle Bottom

Elio

Uncle Bottom

Elio

Uncle Bottom

by Anonymousreply 43December 28, 2017 11:30 PM

Stop calling heterosexuals straight.

And since Corey was molested by men and didn't turn out gay, that theory is out the window. But I still can't help thinking he has a point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 28, 2017 11:55 PM

I find it very interesting that Wilmer Valderama has been criticized and demonized for decades; because he dated 17 yr old Lindsay Lohan and a few other 17- 19 yr old women, while in his early twenties. Which I always thought was ridiculous. Being that technically she could have been a college freshmen and he a grad student. It was plausible and probably not that unusual. Now the same people, who still criticize Valderama, praise the casting of CMBYN.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 29, 2017 12:06 AM

I have no praise for anyone involved with [italic]That 70s Show[/italic], especially not someone who dipped his dipstick in a skank ho like LiLo.

by Anonymousreply 46December 29, 2017 12:08 AM

Hammer looks 40

by Anonymousreply 47December 29, 2017 12:14 AM

Armie Hammer is a strong actor?

by Anonymousreply 48December 29, 2017 12:16 AM

Does he get any money from the baking soda?

by Anonymousreply 49December 29, 2017 12:17 AM

R45 Brad Pitt did the same thing but he was never criticised for dating 16 year old girls odd

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 29, 2017 12:18 AM

Armie Hammer is annoying

by Anonymousreply 51December 29, 2017 12:22 AM

And Jerry Seinfeld saying "no hugging, no learning" seemed kind of disingenuous when he was dating the then 17-year-old Shoshana Lowenstein.

by Anonymousreply 52December 29, 2017 12:24 AM

Pitt is gay Juliette Lewis was bearding for him but it seems being seen as a pedo is better than being openly gay for some people (Incl. Brad Pitt) 🙄

by Anonymousreply 53December 29, 2017 12:31 AM

My problem with the movie was that I didn't really get this as a great "love affair" -- sex, sure, but real connection not so much. Given how long and slow-moving the movie was, I didn't see why this wasn't explored better. I have not read the Aciman book, so maybe there's more there.

The people I saw the movie with didn't have a great answer to this either. They thought maybe Oliver was impressed with Elio's intelligence/musical skills but to me, given that Oliver is in graduate school, he probably has other smart people around him.

by Anonymousreply 54December 29, 2017 12:32 AM

Thank the Children of God cult for that, R53. They were all over Hollywood in the 1970s and 1980s, and they tolerated every kind of sex except adult male homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 55December 29, 2017 12:32 AM

I'm just really tired of half the threads on DL being about this movie, or its actors.

by Anonymousreply 56December 29, 2017 12:36 AM

Then talk about [italic]God's Own Country[/italic] instead.

by Anonymousreply 57December 29, 2017 12:50 AM

And do it here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 29, 2017 12:50 AM

Enough with the glorification of all things Italian. In real life, if you want your heart smashed into a million pieces, then by all means fall in love with one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 29, 2017 3:04 AM

R54 the book isn’t about a love affair, it’s about the narrator’s obsession. There really isn’t a love affair; the characters have a sexual relationship for ten days and then Elio is obsessed with it for the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 60December 29, 2017 10:47 AM

There weren't enough closeups of Armie Hammer.

by Anonymousreply 61January 1, 2018 11:23 PM

More Armie closeups, please!!!

by Anonymousreply 62January 1, 2018 11:46 PM

There is no sexual misconduct in this film. So you idiots who cannot distinguish a great love story in a country where the legal age of consent is 16: go suck you thumbs in a corner while you strangle yourselves in your pearls. God no wonder we ejected Trump.

And I hope none of you have children too.

by Anonymousreply 63January 1, 2018 11:46 PM

Elect, not eject

by Anonymousreply 64January 1, 2018 11:49 PM

My problems:

1. Pretentious setting and tedious characters who spend all their time lolling about an estate smoking, reading, eating fruit and swimming in the lake.

2. Armie Hammer sounds 50, looks 40, and is clearly self-conscious in many scenes.

3. Ellio and Marzia are a much more appealing match than Ellio and Oliver.

4. Ellio’s Father reminds me of Robin Williams.

5. What the Hell was Oliver supposed to be doing to help the father? He spent most of his time sunning and riding his bike.

by Anonymousreply 65January 2, 2018 12:07 AM

Or we could just watch movies about age-appropriate gay relationships, R63/R64.

And the legal age of consent in Italy is 14, not 16.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 2, 2018 12:10 AM

And don't use "but it's the law" as an argument for anything. Just don't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67January 2, 2018 12:10 AM

Scarlett Johansson was 17 (i.e., three years younger than Timothée during filming) when she filmed "Lost in Translation" and played a married woman who had a romantic connection with 52-year-old Bill Murray and no one seemed to be upset by this...

by Anonymousreply 68January 2, 2018 12:22 AM

That would require me to give a shit about that movie, R68.

by Anonymousreply 69January 2, 2018 12:26 AM

You forgot to include the following options, OP:

---the creepy apologists bleating about age of consent laws/it's not pedophile, it's EPHEBOphile.

---even if everything is legal, the pics of them together still skeeze me out.

---Chalamet looks like a rat

and of course, the all-important

---ALL OF THE ABOVE

by Anonymousreply 70January 2, 2018 12:27 AM

"What Makes You Beautiful" came out in the U.S. when the members of One Direction were 18-20… Does Timothée in CMBYN look younger than the members of 1D in 2012? No he does not.

by Anonymousreply 71January 2, 2018 12:31 AM

I have no problem with the father. My father is a doctor (medical) and we have had many similar conversations. And, some that were rather more embarrassing. My mother has even written about my homosexuality and how I deal with it along with my myriad life issues. The liberal, intellectual class tend to be more open regarding sex and sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 72January 2, 2018 12:32 AM

I don't understand why we shouldn't point out the age of consent laws. Do people not understand the purpose of those laws or what, exactly? We don't legislate by what *you* (in another country, at that) personally find skeevy and inappropriate. If we did, SSM would still not be legal.

But I agree with the poster who said Hammer looks forty and sounds about fifty. When he told Elio that he had massaged him in the first days to show him he liked him, I got a bit skeeved out myself. We wouldn't be having this conversation around age if they just found a more age-appropriate actor for the part. Which they easily could, of course, if the director just allowed the traditional audition process to go forward.

by Anonymousreply 73January 2, 2018 12:47 AM

Typical survey and totally irrelevant. There are no options for those that liked the movie. I haven't seen it yet so I didn't vote.

by Anonymousreply 74January 2, 2018 12:51 AM

I thought the talk with his dad at the end was beautiful. Especially in light of Oliver calling to say he was engaged and that he was jealous how well Elio's parents took the news he was gay, how his own parents would have sent him away or something like that. That scene spoke volumes looking back to 1983 and the climate then.

However, I would have appreciated Oliver's part being played by an actor who looked a little younger in both looks and attitude. It was like watching Don Draper chase a child for 2 hours.

by Anonymousreply 75January 2, 2018 1:38 AM

Do not try to equate laws banning same sex marriage with laws prohibiting sex between adults and minors, R73, or imply that as a member of a minority oppressed on the basis of same sex-attraction, I'm obliged to to support the loosening of restrictions on the age of consent.

by Anonymousreply 76January 2, 2018 1:48 AM

I personally loved the movie. A friend, who was sexually abused as a child calls it "trash" and "pedophilia propaganda" . Is it "Pedophilia propaganda" if they are both willing participants? Eilio, to me was very mature mentally, that was attractive to Armie's character. It also seems like a double standard, Eilio is having sex with Maritiza as well. Is it OK for him to fuck her but NOT for him to have a sexual relationship with Armie? BTW I LOVED those tiny shorts and was really expecting, the way they filmed it, to see ball sacs.

by Anonymousreply 77January 2, 2018 2:11 AM

Armie was 29 years old when it was filmed.

Only problem was no naked Armie :(

by Anonymousreply 78January 3, 2018 2:24 AM

He easily looked early 40s and like he was the dad. That dancing scene was chaperoning the school dance. No way did he look remotely close to a 24 year old grad student.

by Anonymousreply 79January 4, 2018 3:14 AM

Instead of Ansel as Oliver what about Scott Eastwood? To me he looks younger than Army and older than baby face Ansel. Though i dont know how good he would have been acting wise.

by Anonymousreply 80January 4, 2018 3:26 AM

[quote] Is it "Pedophilia propaganda" if they are both willing participants?

"They want it" is a common defense pedos use to justify their behavior.

by Anonymousreply 81January 4, 2018 3:27 AM

I cant imagine that young people watching the film view Hammer as one of their peers. I don't believe that this film will age well.

by Anonymousreply 82January 4, 2018 3:36 AM

The onus should be on the adult character to know that it’s unfair to pursue the youth. The book has an epilogue which shows Elio being permanently scarred by the affair, while Oliver is able to more maturely compartmentalize it. The movie only drops off at the suggestion of “puppy love heartbreak.” So yes it is propaganda in the respect. As well as, “Oh he’s so precocious and intelligent, he can handle it.” We’re back to “Manhattan” with Tracy being wiser than Isaac in the finale.

by Anonymousreply 83January 4, 2018 10:44 AM

Film Fest Darling Call Me By Your Name Romanticizes Predatory Relationships

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 4, 2018 11:06 AM

It seems to have DL in a tizzy, and I don't care for tizzies.

by Anonymousreply 85January 4, 2018 11:09 AM

The claim that the minor "came onto the adult" thus making it ok and leaving the adult blameless, was even made by an OH politician about a 4 year old girl. It's a perv script.

The stills from this movie are and SHOULD BE uncomfortable for adults. TC does not appear sexually mature and AH looks to be middle aged. This kind of thing fucks kids up, mitts off!

by Anonymousreply 86January 4, 2018 11:38 AM

Armie is simply not talented enough. Chalamet is too skinny and too odd looking. I'm sick of queens shoving this film down our throats like some steam room encounter.

by Anonymousreply 87January 4, 2018 3:46 PM

It’s the greatest gay love story ever made. So, get over it!

by Anonymousreply 88January 4, 2018 3:52 PM

Armie Hammer, handsome as he is, strikes me as an awkward, lumbering doofus.

The scene where he orders Elio to drop his pants then gives him a quick suck creeped me out.

by Anonymousreply 89January 4, 2018 4:04 PM

My biggest problem with the movie is that my shrink hasn't seen it yet!

by Anonymousreply 90January 4, 2018 11:27 PM

Granted it was a beautiful script and a beautifully shot movie. Without Timothy Chalamets great emotional acting this movie could've fallen flat on it's face. Altho I did enjoy the movie I did feel extremely uncomfortable seeing someone like Armie (uncle type) chasing after Elio. My son will be 17 in a few years and the thought of him with someone who looks like in his late 30s of early 40s gives me the creeps. It's a predatory behavior. But sadly it's also a fantasy of many teen boys to get it on with older people. So yes they want it? Does that make it moral on the adult's part? A resounding NO! Also I found Oliver's acting subpar on the whole. Yes good in a few scenes but overall blah. Armie looks like too much like a noodle man to be sexy.

by Anonymousreply 91January 4, 2018 11:52 PM

^^ When was Oliver "chasing after Elio?"

by Anonymousreply 92January 5, 2018 12:10 AM

I think we wouldn't have the predator discussion if the movie had better captured what the older guy saw in the younger guy. If the movie had better described why Oliver fell in love with Elio, I could have related easier. Likewise with Elio. It's not quite clear to me what made him fall in love with Oliver.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie a lot though. Once I accept THAT they are in love with each other, I find the movie quite touching. And I don't care about the age discrepancy. The teenager is 17; he is not a child. Legally it isn't wrong, and morally it's not wrong either. It's certainly emotionally challenging for a teenager, but that goes for all teenagers who are in love for the first time. And Oliver didn't do anything a boyfriend of the same age wouldn't have done. Quite the contrary; Eliot was not blind-sighted or tricked or manipulated into anything. So I don't really get the outrage here. Again, it probably would have been easier to relate to these two, if the mutual infatuation had been more obvious.

by Anonymousreply 93January 5, 2018 12:18 AM

[quote]He easily looked early 40s and like he was the dad.

Well he was only 29 playing 20's (in the book 24), and Timothee was 19 I believe, playing 17.

In a court of law, how you LOOK is not relevant, rather how old you ARE. As pointed out many times already, Elio was above the age of consent in Italy. And Armie was 29....

So all this clutching at pearls is moot and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 94January 5, 2018 12:41 AM

So sick of reading that Armie looks 40. He doesn't. He looks his age. He looks great. Timothee looks like a thin young man. The film is superb and Chamalet's performance is a phenomenon. The only people who see pedophilia here are creeps.

by Anonymousreply 95January 5, 2018 12:49 AM

why feed the pedo trolls? do not engage with them. they are impervious to facts and reason and have no understanding of either the book or the movie, just tedious shit stirrers

by Anonymousreply 96January 5, 2018 1:06 AM

I can't imagine anyone taking issue if a 29-year-old actor was paired with a 20-year-old actress...

by Anonymousreply 97January 5, 2018 2:15 AM

Pervs, the movie is not going to find a wide audience, thus the need for shills to encourage gays to see it multiple times.

The images being flacked so hard are intended to norm perving on minors. The casing looks like an underaged kid and a middle aged man. Upon repeated viewing, the goal is to lessen the visceral reaction. Pervs even have conferences at Cambridge, of course it is a multi-pronged approach.

In the past, gays kicked N A M B L A out, time to do it again. If not, don't be surprised by the backlash, esp to gay teachers and dads.

by Anonymousreply 98January 5, 2018 3:22 AM

[quote]He easily looked early 40s and like he was the dad.

Put him next to your average 40-year-old man and he easily looks a decade younger, which, of course, he is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99January 5, 2018 4:53 AM

Hammer doesn't look older than Jude Law when he played Dickie Greenleaf in "The Talented Mr. Ripley," who, like Armie, was then at the peak of his beauty.

by Anonymousreply 100January 5, 2018 4:56 AM

Baking Soda has a receding hairline and the demeanor of a doofus. Overreaching doesn't help your cause.

by Anonymousreply 101January 5, 2018 5:37 AM

10 years ago he looked young, now, very much like the 40 year old posted, actually.

Slumming it with the "experimenting" film out of desperation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102January 5, 2018 5:43 AM

I wanted to love the movie but was let down. I don't get all the love for Chalamet. I didn't think his performance was anything special and don't find him attractive so I didn't see the big deal.

Hammer is good looking but not a good actor at least in this.

But there are the commercials stating 'hands down best film of the year' and 'a masterpiece'

Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 103January 5, 2018 7:12 AM

They are trying to make an ok or good adaptation of a book the end all of all movies. Let history be the decider. Will we be googoo and gaagaaing over this movie in ten years?

by Anonymousreply 104January 5, 2018 7:24 AM

The part where Armie tries to eat the jizz peach is really sweet.

by Anonymousreply 105January 18, 2018 1:38 AM

Armie did manage to get a little taste of Timothée's peaches and cream.

by Anonymousreply 106January 18, 2018 2:50 AM

Bear Emo Love

by Anonymousreply 107January 18, 2018 3:08 AM

[quote]But there are the commercials stating 'hands down best film of the year' and 'a masterpiece'

The only movie in the box office top 10 that wasn't a sequel or a reboot was [italic]Wonder Woman[/italic]. It's been a slow last 25 years for intelligent adult-centric mid-budget American mainstream movies.

by Anonymousreply 108January 18, 2018 3:11 AM

The part where his father has the heart to heart with him about Oliver, where he's going on and on about "what you had with him," fell so flat for me, because the actors didn't show me what the characters "had" leading up to that point. I felt nothing for them. The best acting by either of them was Chalamet in the last 60 seconds of the film. By then, it was too late.

by Anonymousreply 109January 18, 2018 3:11 AM

If this wasn't set in Italy, it wouldn't be getting a tenth of the kind of hype it's getting.

by Anonymousreply 110January 18, 2018 3:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!