Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Crown, Season 2 started streaming last night

I watched the first episode.

It really seems to miss John Lithgow's presence as Churchill. Claire Foy's Elizabeth is more confident this season, but she is also so prissy; while Margaret, in contrast, seems like a drunk bitch. Why would the queen want to spend any time with her?

The costumes and sets continue to look great. Jeremy Northam looks REALLY old, but they've whitened his hair and he is playing older than he is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234January 20, 2019 6:16 AM

OP, you are worse than Pol Pot, Jeffrey Dahmer and Kim Davis combined.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 8, 2017 3:28 PM

Gee, I wonder who started the linked thread at r1?

by Anonymousreply 2December 8, 2017 3:32 PM

I actually started the thread linked

by Anonymousreply 3December 8, 2017 3:34 PM

It's a weird season so far. They're still stuck in the 50s four episodes in. They don't explicitly say Philip cheated on his wife, but they imply it strongly (like the first season).

I'm kind of tired of Foy's same bag of tricks--the stiffening of the jaw to indicate distress, the "oh" to indicate surprised disapproval.

by Anonymousreply 4December 8, 2017 4:48 PM

Watched the first two episodes of Season 2 and really found them lacklustre.

by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2017 7:58 PM

[quote]It really seems to miss John Lithgow's presence as Churchill.

As indeed Britain missed the man himself.

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2017 8:03 PM

[quote]while Margaret, in contrast, seems like a drunk bitch. Why would the queen want to spend any time with her?

Well, she was basically a drunk, drug addicted bitch, wasn't she? The Queen's Sister (2005, clip at link with Dame Maggie Smith's lookalike son Toby Stephens) was pretty good at portraying how her whole life was more or less pointless as the unnecessary, spoiled, "spare heir."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2017 8:11 PM

Her life was "pointless" because ... she wouldn't be Queen of England? Don't tell the billions of others in the same boat!

by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2017 8:13 PM

They could have made it clearer, though, why Elizabeth agreed to spend so much time with Margaret during their life. Even among the royal family there are cases where siblings avoided each other as much as they could; but Elizabeth actively sought out Margaret's company in real life, as she does on the show. But Margaret only has bitchy comments to make to her about Philip.

by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2017 8:15 PM

The series gets much better as it goes. The first three episodes with the Suez crisis and Philip on his big trip are pretty interminable, but then it becomes about Margaret's courtship of Tony Armstrong-Jones, and Harold Macmillan and his philandering and almost hilariously mean wife Dorothy (the great British stage actress Sylvestra LeTouzel) take important roles.

by Anonymousreply 10December 8, 2017 11:26 PM

One of the themes for the season is that marriage is pretty horrible. Almost none of the marriages depicted are happy: Elizabeth and Philip, Mike and Irene Parker, Harold Macmillan and wife, JFK and Jackie, Mountbatten and a... in most of them the partners loathe each other (the queen's marriage is the most functional and even it is unhappy). And of course Margaret's marriage to Lord Snowden is going to be the most miserable of all (although they don;t know it fully yet).

by Anonymousreply 11December 9, 2017 12:20 AM

I'm enjoying it, though I wish they would get the hell out of the mid50s. The fourth episode with Margaret being seduced by Tony Armstrong-Jones is terrific--even though Matthew Goode has practically no chin, he's still very sexy.

by Anonymousreply 12December 9, 2017 6:48 PM

I agree that the big mistake this season was spending three episodes on Philip's Australia trip and the Suez Crisis. Two episodes would have been more than enough, and that would have left more time to explore Margaret and her scandalous private life: a much more interesting thing to explore.

Once you make it past those first three episodes, the series picks up considerably.

by Anonymousreply 13December 9, 2017 7:11 PM

The series gets much better as it goes.

There's a lot of staging meetings with people with the queen that probably never happened (I can guarantee you Jackie Kennedy never told the queen about JFK abusing her or their taking drugs), but it does make the series more dramatic. As with last season, the second-to-last episode acts as pretty much a standalone drama with very little of the queen herself in it, and again it's the season standout: this one is all about how miserable Charles is at the horrible public school his father sends him to, Gordonstoun in Northern Scotland, and why Philip sends him there (with many flashbacks to Philip's tortured past).

The episode where Margaret marries Anthony Armstrong-Jones is also superb, with the story probing intelligently why Armstrong-Jones married her in the first place (i.e. to impress his distant and social-climbing mother) when he obviously never loved her. Margaret is beside herself with bliss, and Armstrong-Jones realizes on the drive to Westminster Abbey he's made a terrible mistake.

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2017 3:29 AM

Matthew Goode looks like what happens when a cat fucks a robot and no one stops it, and then they have a baby. What a weird looking dude.

by Anonymousreply 15December 14, 2017 4:29 AM

And who do you find attractive, R15?

by Anonymousreply 16December 14, 2017 4:50 AM

You, R16.

by Anonymousreply 17December 14, 2017 5:13 AM

What a boring season this was. I’m ready for some Diana and Camilla action.

by Anonymousreply 18December 16, 2017 3:45 PM

Michael C Hall as JFK was just bizarre.

Jackie going into the castle to meet the queen with all of her mounted guards & then more guards on the stairs was the most funny moment of the whole series. They did that to just be camp, right? I mean, that's not even remotely believable. "Make way for the Queen's Guard!" with 50 horses about to trample Jackie... lol.

The JFK episode was good though. I liked this season, except where it dragged on too long in some of the scenes. The pacing wasn't that even.

by Anonymousreply 19December 16, 2017 3:55 PM

How's this for a laugh...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 17, 2017 10:44 AM

Season 2 was good overall but nowhere as consistently good as season 1 IMO.

Michael C Hall was terrible as JFK. He sounded nor looked anything like JFK. Hall was very good in Dexter but his performance in The Crown missed the mark.

Claire Foy is most definitely the best actor on this show now that John Lithgow(as Churchill) is gone. She's really the anchor of the whole series. Alex Jennings, who plays the Duke of Windsor is also very good in his role.

by Anonymousreply 21December 18, 2017 7:07 AM

[quote] #TheCrown is stunning every episode jus well shot, well acted and incredibly historically accurate ... i will say I’m tired of watching shows where every last person except a servant is white, accurate or not. Not here for the daily reminder of white supremacy

First of all, they had a whole episode that revolved around President Nkrumah of Ghana, and neither he nor anyone is his cabinet were white.

Next: did this idiot really think they'd have a black actor play prince Philip? or Elizabeth II?

by Anonymousreply 22December 18, 2017 7:20 AM

How about Margaret referring to Princess Marina as a minor royal? Marina's husband, the Duke of Kent, was King George's (Margaret's father) brother.

No wonder people hated her.

by Anonymousreply 23December 31, 2017 7:28 PM

I loved Season 2 as I did Season 1. Superb acting, direction, art direction, costumes.

by Anonymousreply 24December 31, 2017 8:39 PM

Now The Crown chat is on this thread, folks.

by Anonymousreply 25January 6, 2018 12:28 AM

Helena Bonham Carter as Maggie. Nice casting.

by Anonymousreply 26January 6, 2018 12:34 AM

[quote]Marina's husband, the Duke of Kent, was King George's (Margaret's father) brother.

Wait, what? I thought there were just the three brothers: Margaret's and QEII's father, the Nazi king who abdicated, and the younger brother who died of epilepsy. You mean to say there was [italic]more[/italic] of them?! Or was this the epilepsy one?

by Anonymousreply 27January 6, 2018 12:51 AM

I agree HBloodyBC as Princess Margaret is great casting--and next season will allow for a great performance from Margaret, since she will be psychologically tortured by her husband, take up with Roddy Llewellyn, and become the first major royal to divorce--only to watch her family then refuse to close ranks around her and prefer Lord Snowden to herself! I hope she gets an Emmy for it.

by Anonymousreply 28January 6, 2018 12:52 AM

[quote]Wait, what? I thought there were just the three brothers:

No,George and Mary had six children. You know Princess Michael of Kent that has become a DL benefactress? Well she married Prince Michael of Kent. George, Duke of Kent was Michael's father, which makes him first cousin to Queen Elizabeth. George, Duke of Kent was also bisexual.

The next question is why did George and Mary name two of their children George? Actually, this one's first name was George. Elizabeth's father was Albert Frederick Arthur George.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 6, 2018 1:15 AM

R29 Holy shit, this changes *everything*!

by Anonymousreply 30January 6, 2018 1:22 AM

R22, Pomolibs of color aren't interested in their own history. Not glamorous enough to them. Only rewriting European and/or white history to star them will satisfy, just like the trans and Stonewall. They're spitting in their ancestors' faces by obsessively claiming someone else's history at the expense of their own (e.g. Hamilton).

by Anonymousreply 31January 6, 2018 1:36 AM

You want something that will really rock your world? It is believed that George, Duke of Kent fathered an illegitimate child with Kiki Preston. The child was adopted and raised as Michael Canfield. Canfield married Lee Bouvier.

by Anonymousreply 32January 6, 2018 1:38 AM

They had 4-5 boys and 1 girl I believe. The daughter, Mary married into the Lascelles family...thus making Tommy a distant member of the family by marriage.

John passed away early from autism or epilepsy.

I think another died during one of the wars....maybe Kent?

There were: King George (born Albert), John, Dukes of Windsor (Edward who abdicated), Kent and Gloucester and Mary, Countess of Harewood.

by Anonymousreply 33January 6, 2018 1:39 AM

[quote] I think another died during one of the wars....maybe Kent?

Yes, Kent died in WW2, after having bed half of England and imbibing in large amounts of drugs.

by Anonymousreply 34January 6, 2018 1:41 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 6, 2018 2:09 AM

Prince George is on the far left in the above pic, with his brothers.

by Anonymousreply 36January 6, 2018 2:11 AM

I fear that casting for next and coming seasons will be all about getting name actors, not those who are appropriate or resemble the originals.

by Anonymousreply 37January 6, 2018 2:26 AM

I fear for the corgis

by Anonymousreply 38January 6, 2018 2:36 AM

R37 Olivia Colman is not that big. The show is a hit so they're able to attact better talent.

by Anonymousreply 39January 6, 2018 4:09 AM

How big of a name are you thinking? Season 1 had John Lithgow, Jared Harris and Eileen Atkins. Plus the show has attracted a lot of familiar faces who may not be A list, but they are well known on British tv: Ben Miles, Anton Lesser, Harriet Walter, Alex Jennings and others.

by Anonymousreply 40January 6, 2018 4:26 AM

I assume inspired by the success of The Crown, Netflix has a documentary series now called the House of Windsor.

It's excellent

by Anonymousreply 41January 6, 2018 4:29 AM

Is anyone going to watch Ryan Murphy's Charles & Diana Feud? or will audiences be too royalled out with The Crown and The Windsors.

by Anonymousreply 42January 6, 2018 4:32 AM

R37 is deranged. Kill it!

by Anonymousreply 43January 6, 2018 4:51 AM

Thanks for letting us know about House of Windsor on Netflix. I'm going to start it tomorrow. I don't really know why I, as an American, am so interested in Royal stuff, but for some reason I enjoy learning about the Monarchy.

by Anonymousreply 44January 6, 2018 5:31 AM

R588, from the other thread, Greg Wise won’t be coming back for S3. None of them will. Peter Morgan made it clear there will be a completely new cast for S3/S4 and then S5/S6.

by Anonymousreply 45January 6, 2018 11:58 AM

I can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 46January 6, 2018 11:58 AM

HSBC is going to chew up the scenery - hope she Tries to keep to the tone of the show.

by Anonymousreply 47January 6, 2018 1:05 PM

She will need a fake nose.

by Anonymousreply 48January 6, 2018 3:32 PM

R45 I know that they are recasting main roles. Hoping they age-up supporting roles like Duke of Windsor, Tommy, Mountbatten...

But if they announced recasting of ALL roles then I guess not...

by Anonymousreply 49January 6, 2018 4:12 PM

Bummer I think the guy playing Mountbatten now is a hot daddy.

by Anonymousreply 50January 6, 2018 8:22 PM

They need to write Helen Mirren a blank check to play the Queen in S5/S6.

by Anonymousreply 51January 6, 2018 8:29 PM

I love the visit to Ghana. This scene isn't entirely by-the-books, but it captures the spirit of the visit, and the dance with Kwame Nkrumah, which was shocking to many. There are real films from British Pathé that are fascinating to watch, for anyone who wants to compare the series to the documented events.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 6, 2018 9:34 PM

A contemporary photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 6, 2018 9:37 PM

Vogue-- HELENA BONHAM CARTER is set to replace Vanessa Kirby as Princess Margaret for the next two seasons of Netflix's The Crown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 7, 2018 12:38 AM

R52, "I believe the Foxtrot, sir" "the Foxtrot". "The Foxtrot!"

by Anonymousreply 55January 7, 2018 1:39 AM

Just watched Netflix's documentary The House of Windsor's first episode.

It began a little stodgily but was really riveting by the end. All of the drama of The Crown but seen through real historic footage. The first episode covered the days before WWI and ended with the victory of WWII. Less than an hour so it moved along briskly.

I recommend it!

by Anonymousreply 56January 7, 2018 2:25 AM

thank you

by Anonymousreply 57January 7, 2018 2:41 AM

R56 We watched it too after watching the first few of the Crown so we could get a little backstory about the era before the show.

by Anonymousreply 58January 7, 2018 12:45 PM

And one of the main talking heads in the Netflix Windsor thingy was Alistair Bruce, also the main historical person for Downton Abbey.

Guess he is Go To History Queen for all things British.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 7, 2018 12:46 PM

Well, smell her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 7, 2018 12:47 PM

[quote] Guess he is Go To History Queen for all things British.

I always wished that I had a job like that.

by Anonymousreply 61January 7, 2018 12:51 PM

I wonder if Margaret had been allowed to marry Townsend, if the marriage wouldn't have ended in divorce anyway. Margaret was such a spoiled, impossible bitch, perhaps she would have eventually driven him away.

by Anonymousreply 62January 7, 2018 2:25 PM

Perhaps that's true about Margaret, r62.

But it's interesting to watch all of the footage of her as a teenage girl in the Netflix doc where she seems quite modest and easy-going. In the 2nd episode we see her and her sister on a 3 month long trip to South Africa, frolicing on the huge battleship with hundreds of young sailors and Margaret appears very sweet and shy.

by Anonymousreply 63January 7, 2018 2:53 PM

coquette

by Anonymousreply 64January 7, 2018 4:00 PM

Who the phuck is playing Philip?

by Anonymousreply 65January 9, 2018 12:51 AM

HM's visit to Ghana.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 9, 2018 1:23 AM

[quote]Who the phuck is playing Philip?

Charles Dance. For Seasons 5-6.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67January 9, 2018 1:38 AM

[quote] Is anyone going to watch Ryan Murphy's Charles & Diana Feud? or will audiences be too royalled out with The Crown and The Windsors

I can not wait for this

by Anonymousreply 68January 9, 2018 2:07 AM

I don’t think Feud: Charles and Diana will begin shooting until the summer at the earliest.

by Anonymousreply 69January 11, 2018 10:12 PM

If Ryan Murphy was smart, he wouldn't attempt Charles vs Diana.

Of course, he's not smart.

by Anonymousreply 70January 11, 2018 11:22 PM

[quote] If Ryan Murphy was smart, he wouldn't attempt Charles vs Diana.

I just think it's overkill. The Brits have royalty covered. The Crown is very popular and also the sitcom The Windsors. Plus, they televised King Charles III starring Tim Piggott-Smith which envisions the unrest when Queen Elizabeth dies.

by Anonymousreply 71January 11, 2018 11:26 PM

Well, this goes back to Victoria. But I really get tired of all the racism comments on these threads. There are plenty of racists in the royal family, but Victoria and Elizabth seem to have risen above that shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 12, 2018 12:13 AM

Helen Mirren has come out and said she does not want to do The Crown.

[quote]When asked whether or not she’ll be appearing on The Crown, Mirren confidently replied, “No, I’m not. No, no. Done with that.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 13, 2018 8:57 PM

"The Coronation" is on the Smithsonian channel Sun. night. The Queen herself will be interviewed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 14, 2018 1:09 AM

R71, The Crown is technically an American production because it’s from Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 75January 14, 2018 2:06 AM

I'm a nobody American, but thanks to my aristocratic British colonial grandfather, I'm cousins with both Lady Rosse (Anthony Armstrong-Jones' mother) and Tommy Lascelles. Never met any of them...

by Anonymousreply 76January 14, 2018 2:10 AM

Charles Dance to play Philip seasons 3-4.

by Anonymousreply 77January 14, 2018 5:12 AM

[quote]Charles Dance to play Philip seasons 3-4.

He's too old for that point in Philip's life. He would look like Olivia Colman's father. He'll be fine for season 5-6.

by Anonymousreply 78January 14, 2018 12:59 PM

Does anyone have a link to The Coronation?

by Anonymousreply 79January 15, 2018 4:19 PM

It’s looking more and more like it will be Paul Bettany as Philip.

by Anonymousreply 80January 19, 2018 6:23 PM

R35 This is off topic, but why is it that you can never find that much information about Kiki Preston? She’s namedropped in plenty of biographies from that period, but I can’t seem to find much more about her other than the fact that she was a drug addict. She is often referred to “the girl with the silver syringe.” ...with a name like that, I want to know more!

by Anonymousreply 81January 19, 2018 7:17 PM

It’s official.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 20, 2018 6:45 PM

Paul Bettany works fine.

by Anonymousreply 83January 20, 2018 6:46 PM

for r79

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 20, 2018 7:20 PM

Such good news about Bettany. I find him hot AF.

by Anonymousreply 85January 20, 2018 7:27 PM

[quote]Both before and after his marriage, Prince George had a string of affairs with both men and women, from socialites to Hollywood celebrities. The better known of his lovers included banking heiress Poppy Baring, socialite Margaret Whigham (later Duchess of Argyll and involved in a notoriously scandalous divorce case), and Barbara Cartland (who believed him to be the father of her daughter Raine McCorquodale).[25]

[quote]There were "strong rumours" that he had affairs with musical star Jessie Matthews,[26] writer Cecil Roberts[27] and Noël Coward,[28] a relationship which Coward's long-term boyfriend, Graham Payn, denied.[29] The security services "reported that Coward and Kent had been seen parading together through the streets of London, dressed and made up as women, and had once been arrested by the police for suspected prostitution".[30]

[quote]The Duke of Kent is rumoured to have been addicted to drugs, especially morphine and cocaine, a rumour which reputedly originated with his friendship with Kiki Preston,[31][32][33] whom he first met in the mid-1920s. Reportedly, Prince George shared Kiki in a ménage à trois with Argentinian Jorge Ferrara.[34] Other alleged sexual liaisons were with the art historian and Soviet spy Anthony Blunt, Indira Raje, Maharani of Cooch Behar,[26] and José Uriburu, son of the Argentinian ambassador to the UK, José Uriburu Tezanos.[35]

[quote]In his attempt to rescue his cocaine-addicted brother from the influence of Kiki, Edward, the Prince of Wales, attempted for a while to persuade both George and Kiki to break off their contact, to no avail.[36] Eventually, Edward forced George to stop seeing Kiki and also forced Kiki to leave England, while she was visiting George there in the summer of 1929.[37] For years afterwards, Edward feared that George might relapse to drugs if he maintained his contact with Kiki. Indeed, in 1932, Prince George ran into Kiki unexpectedly at Cannes and had to be removed almost by force.[38]

R81, I'm sure the current Royals would prefer the public not know more about the late Prince George, as he's the father of the current Duke of Kent, Princess Alexandra and Prince Michael.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 20, 2018 9:53 PM

[quote]Kiki was a scandalous presence among the Happy Valley set, noted both for her great beauty, as well as her wild lifestyle, which included partying all night long, rising from bed during dinnertime and drug abuse.[31] Kiki had become a notorious drug addict by that point; she was especially fond of heroin[41], cocaine[42] and morphine[32]. She was nicknamed "the girl with the silver syringe", due to her habit of always carrying with her a syringe with which she injected herself.[38][43][44] She was reported to often take out the silver syringe to inject herself, oblivious to onlookers. Swedish Baron Bror von Blixen-Finecke's second wife, Cockie, once wittily remarked of Kiki: "She's very clever with her needle".[43] Kiki was one of the best clients of the chief drug dealer of the Kenya colony, Frank Greswolde Williams, until his death in 1932. Whenever she was out of morphine, she would send an aeroplane to pick up new supplies.[32][43]

[quote]Kiki had many lovers during that time, including actor Rudolph Valentino[37][38] and Prince George, Duke of Kent, whom she first met in the mid-1920s. Through 1928, she introduced him to cocaine and morphine among other drugs.[31][32][45] Reportedly, Prince George shared Kiki in a ménage à trois with Argentinian Jorge Ferrara.[46][47]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 20, 2018 9:55 PM

[quote]The so-called Happy Valley set was a group of hedonistic, largely British and Anglo-Irish aristocrats and adventurers who settled in the "Happy Valley" region of the Wanjohi Valley,[1] near the Aberdare mountain range, in colonial Kenya and Uganda between the 1920s and the 1940s. In the 1930s, the group became infamous for its decadent lifestyles and exploits, following reports of drug use and sexual promiscuity.[2]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 20, 2018 9:56 PM

R88, oh to be a fly on the wall.......

by Anonymousreply 89January 20, 2018 10:00 PM

The movie White Michief is about the Happy Valley Set. They weren't very nice...

by Anonymousreply 90January 21, 2018 3:41 AM

R90, I agree. I'm a great admirer of Her Majesty, but my overall opinion of the English Aristocracy isn't very high. I remember reading 'Murder Must Advertise' which was one of Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey mystery novels, and when she mentioned 'dope' it was clear she had no idea of what she was discussing. Apparently, Kiki Preston was using cocaine, morphine and heroin/

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91January 21, 2018 11:09 PM

The Queen Mother never forgave the Duke of Windsor and Wallis Simpson for forcing her husband to become King, which she believed was much too stressful for him, and hated them both with a passion.

by Anonymousreply 92January 21, 2018 11:45 PM

[quote] The Queen Mother never forgave the Duke of Windsor and Wallis Simpson for forcing her husband to become King, which she believed was much too stressful for him, and hated them both with a passion.

Queen Mother = Cookie

Because she's fat and common like a cook.

Elizabeth = Shirley Temple

by Anonymousreply 93January 22, 2018 12:21 AM

Why wasn’t Claire Foy in LA to collect her SAG Award?

by Anonymousreply 94January 23, 2018 11:52 PM

I wasn't going to fly in to lose to Moss again!

Who knew I would win dammit

by Anonymousreply 95January 23, 2018 11:56 PM

The news is reporting that Diana will be introduced towards the end of Season 3.

by Anonymousreply 96January 25, 2018 12:16 PM

I'm not sure I'll get over the absence of Vanessa Kirby, her Margaret was fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 97January 25, 2018 12:22 PM

Oops. Now Paul Bettany is NOT playing Philip. I thought he was too young, anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98January 25, 2018 7:07 PM

Well, shit. What could he have going on that's more important than such a high-profile role as that? My interest in Season 3 is now nil.

by Anonymousreply 99January 25, 2018 7:16 PM

Someone on another site suggested Matthew McFadyen which would be a good casting idea for it but I think he’s shooting that HBO series Succession until late March. I think his wife Keeley Hawes would have made a great Margaret, though.

by Anonymousreply 100January 25, 2018 8:44 PM

I wonder why Paul Bettany dropped out.

[quote]What could he have going on that's more important than such a high-profile role as that?

Exactly, I don't believe the official line of he was too busy. Obviously there was a real reason he backed away.

by Anonymousreply 101February 28, 2018 8:17 PM

I think I read where they are shooting Seasons 3 and 4 all at once. Just one continuous shooting. So PB may not have wanted to commit that much time to it. Or be away from his family for so long. Do they live in the States?

by Anonymousreply 102February 28, 2018 10:23 PM

Gdammit no eye candy now!

by Anonymousreply 103March 1, 2018 7:10 PM

I'm really looking forward to Olivia Colman, she's a wonderful actress.

by Anonymousreply 104March 2, 2018 12:44 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105March 11, 2018 4:38 AM

Helena Bohnam Carter as Princess Margaret after Vanessa Kirby? Hugh Laurie after Matt Smith? Have they no eyes to see? I understand the characters are aging but my lord!

by Anonymousreply 106March 11, 2018 5:05 AM

Will Hugh Laurie have to wear lifts?

by Anonymousreply 107March 11, 2018 5:17 AM

Omg that blows.

by Anonymousreply 108March 12, 2018 11:56 AM

It really does. Awful casting.

by Anonymousreply 109March 12, 2018 1:38 PM

Yeah Hugh Laurie is a very weird choice.

It is a pity Paul Bettany didn't want the role, he seemed like a good match.

by Anonymousreply 110March 12, 2018 1:54 PM

I still think Matthew McFadyen would have been great, with his wife Keeley Hawes as Margaret.

by Anonymousreply 111March 12, 2018 3:55 PM

[bold]Claire Foy Was Paid Less Than Matt Smith on ‘The Crown’[/bold]

Embarrassing and unbelievable news.

[quote]Asked whether Foy was paid the same as Smith, the producers acknowledged that he did make more due to his “Doctor Who” fame, but that they would rectify that for the future. “Going forward, no one gets paid more than the Queen,” said Mackie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112March 13, 2018 8:58 PM

Keeley Hawes is busy with the Durrells.

by Anonymousreply 113March 13, 2018 9:02 PM

[quote]Keeley Hawes is busy with the Durrells.

She also has another series coming out in 2018 called "Bodyguard."

by Anonymousreply 114March 13, 2018 10:50 PM

The Durrells finished shooting its last season last fall. I don’t know anything about Bodyguard.

by Anonymousreply 115March 14, 2018 2:00 AM

R112–Makes perfect sense. Smith is a bigger name than Foy. I’m sure the dude playing Churchill got more than Smith

by Anonymousreply 116March 14, 2018 3:40 AM

No, R116, John Lithgow didn’t get more than Smith. Churchill was a supporting role.

by Anonymousreply 117March 14, 2018 3:42 AM

Matt Smith looked SO hot as Phillip.

by Anonymousreply 118March 14, 2018 12:13 PM

With Bettany out, Laurie in, and the ridiculous HBC stunt casting, I will give season three a hard pass. They could possibly still redeem it with brilliant casting for Charles, but that doesn't seem likely now.

by Anonymousreply 119March 14, 2018 12:16 PM

I’m looking forward to seeing what Colman does with Liz, though.

by Anonymousreply 120March 14, 2018 12:49 PM

r116 Doesn't make any kind of sense, let alone "perfect sense". Hence the dragging on social media this news has been getting. And the fact that this shit went on for the whole of season 2 as well is extraordinary and makes me like Matt Smith less.

by Anonymousreply 121March 14, 2018 1:19 PM

Well, thank God it isn’t Hugh Laurie now...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 28, 2018 10:18 PM

[bold]‘The Crown’ Sets ‘Outlander’s Tobias Menzies As New Prince Philip[/bold]

[quote]Tobias Menzies has closed a deal to play Prince Philip in Season 3 of Netflix’s The Crown. This is the role that Paul Bettany had been in early talks to play before he abdicated for unspecified reasons. Menzies has signed on for the next two seasons, and begins shooting this summer in the UK.

Holy shit! What happened to Hugh Laurie?! And my boo as Prince Philip?! I'm hyperventilating as I type.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123March 28, 2018 10:18 PM

r122 You bitch.

by Anonymousreply 124March 28, 2018 10:18 PM

Gonna miss Matt. I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea and usually he isn't mine either. But I was swooning over his Philip

by Anonymousreply 125March 28, 2018 10:36 PM

I still think Paul Bettany was the best choice for Seasons 3 & 4.

by Anonymousreply 126March 28, 2018 10:52 PM

I guess we should know better than to trust the Daily Mail.

by Anonymousreply 127March 28, 2018 11:15 PM

So this doesn’t even start shooting until the summer. I guess it won’t be out until next spring at the earliest. I hope HBC ends up dropping out and they cast a better Margaret.

by Anonymousreply 128March 28, 2018 11:18 PM

Tobias Menzies is a good choice for Philip. He always seems onscreen like he has a major stick shoved up his ass, just like the real Duke of Edinburgh.

I'm not sure that he'll have much to do this season, except to purse his lips over Maragret's affair with Roddy Llewellyn.

He'll have more fun in the fourth season when he (inevitably) gets to tell Charles to stop sniveling at the table after the death of Louis Mountbatten and to say cryptic and menacing things to the young Diana.

by Anonymousreply 129March 28, 2018 11:32 PM

[quote]no one gets paid more than the Queen

That's always been my motto.

by Anonymousreply 130March 28, 2018 11:40 PM

[quote] and to say cryptic and menacing things to the young Diana.

HOT, can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 131March 29, 2018 1:24 PM

It's official: HRM HBC and Jason Watkins join the cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132May 3, 2018 4:59 PM

I wonder if Netflix will go the Kimmy Schmidt route and put out four episodes in December to be eligible for awards (like Golden Globe and SAG) and the rest sometime in 2019.

by Anonymousreply 133May 4, 2018 3:11 AM

It must finally be shooting now, no?

by Anonymousreply 134June 9, 2018 10:34 PM

[quote]"I've got two weeks to prepare so I've got to find her character soon," she admitted. "I'm posh, but not that posh!"

[quote]Although we've got second-hand nerves for Helena's last-minute approach, the actress is in very fine company indeed, as Olivia Colman hasn't been worrying about her role too much either. Despite playing the biggie – the actual Queen Elizabeth II – Olivia recently [June 4th] revealed that she 'hasn't started' work on The Crown yet.

[quote]"I haven't started that yet. It starts in July, haven't read it yet," she explained before (hopefully) joking: "I'm going to play her Welsh."

These two better fucking take this seriously or face the wrath of DL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135June 15, 2018 8:35 PM

R135 one of them already did a fantastic job as the Queen Mother in the King’s Speech so there is nothing to worry about.

by Anonymousreply 136June 15, 2018 8:47 PM

Ben Daniels just tweeted he’ll be playing Antony Armstrong-Jones in Season 3. I guess Antony will be even gayer than when Matthew Goode played him.

by Anonymousreply 137June 20, 2018 4:38 PM

[bold]Ben Daniels Joins Cast of ‘The Crown’ for Season Three[/bold]

[quote]“After being glued to the first two seasons of ‘The Crown’ I am beyond thrilled to be joining the cast of this incredible piece of television. Snowdon was such a dynamic and complex man, I’m really looking forward to playing him,” Daniels said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138June 20, 2018 9:26 PM

I’m guessing the time jump is to 1973 when there was an attempted kidnapping of Princess Anne.

by Anonymousreply 139June 25, 2018 9:42 PM

A handy list of who is replacing whom.

Do you think HBC has found her character yet? It's almost July! This show is the singularly most important distraction from the current global shitfest and we need it to be perfect!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140June 27, 2018 12:47 AM

Before you ask, Ben Daniels shows peen in the tv series "Flesh and Bone." It was uncut and average. And he has the ugliest ass, flat and shapeless.

by Anonymousreply 141June 27, 2018 2:26 AM

No announcement as to who’s playing the Queen Mum, though.

by Anonymousreply 142June 27, 2018 5:48 AM

First look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 16, 2018 10:41 AM

I've seen people elsewhere mentioning that her helmet hair isn't fluffed enough and that she seems to have forgotten to pick up the saucer for some reason. And yet DL is totally quiet. What the fuck is happening? This is not the natural order of things!

by Anonymousreply 144July 16, 2018 1:46 PM

I’m crying as I type this

by Anonymousreply 145July 16, 2018 1:52 PM

r145 That's the spirit!

by Anonymousreply 146July 16, 2018 2:02 PM

I've lost all interest with the cast roll-over.

I'll amend that: I'm interested in Tobias Menzies' take on Phillip, but the rest are a resounding "meh" or in HBC's case an outright "WTF."

by Anonymousreply 147July 16, 2018 2:03 PM

The actress they've chose to play the young Princess Anee is great and looks just like her. As does Josh O'Connor from "The Durrells" as the young Charles.

by Anonymousreply 148July 16, 2018 3:54 PM

BUT WHO’S PLAYING THE QUEEN MUM?

by Anonymousreply 149July 16, 2018 5:39 PM

[quote]I've lost all interest with the cast roll-over.

The cast roll over was openly talked about since day 1 of the show.

by Anonymousreply 150July 16, 2018 5:41 PM

Josh O'Connor is handsome. Charles was never good looking.

by Anonymousreply 151July 16, 2018 5:42 PM

Josh O'Connor has the confidence that comes from being a guy who is hung. Poor Charles doesn't have that.

by Anonymousreply 152July 16, 2018 5:47 PM

Hung or not to hung

by Anonymousreply 153July 16, 2018 7:21 PM

R287, selfish is the proper term

by Anonymousreply 154July 16, 2018 10:15 PM

[quote]BUT WHO’S PLAYING THE QUEEN MUM?

They should have casted Patricia Routledge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155July 17, 2018 12:45 AM

Patricia Routledge was offered to play the Queen Mum in The Queen but declined. I hope she ends up in Season 5 to play out the Queen Mum’s final years.

by Anonymousreply 156July 17, 2018 1:34 AM

First image revealed today of Olivia Colman as Elizabeth II:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 17, 2018 1:42 AM

Yes, already posted at r143. It only took a couple of hours and a minor freakout for people to finally start talking.

by Anonymousreply 158July 17, 2018 1:47 AM

Olivia Colman looks great, and she's about the best actress of her age group in the UK.

These two seasons will cover the least dramatic years in Elizabeth's life, 1964-mid Eighties (her early reign had her coronation, Philip's philandering, and the Peter Townsend crisis; the later years have the fire at Windsor Castle, the divorces of three of her children, and the deaths of Diana and her mother and sister), but at least we know she should be amazing in these seasons.

by Anonymousreply 159July 17, 2018 3:05 AM

[quote]These two seasons will cover the least dramatic years in Elizabeth's life, 1964-mid Eighties

We get the attempted kidnap of Anne. That will cover one whole episode. They'll definitely have an episode about the Queen being dowdy against the 1960s Carnaby Street fashions. And we'll have the sexual awakening of Prince Charles.

by Anonymousreply 160July 17, 2018 3:20 AM

I hope we get some nude scenes. O'Connor isn't shy about showing off his butt and peen.

by Anonymousreply 161July 17, 2018 3:40 AM

R159, I’m pretty sure there will be a substantial time jump and S3 will begin in 1973.

by Anonymousreply 162July 17, 2018 10:30 AM

Scary to see

by Anonymousreply 163July 17, 2018 7:40 PM

Peter Morgan has already said what Season 3 covers.

[quote]Confirming two more seasons of Netflix hit “The Crown,” creator Peter Morgan says he is thick into the writing process for both seasons, which will be shot one after the other. Season 3 will span the years 1964 to 1976 and usher in Olivia Colman as Queen Elizabeth II, replacing Claire Foy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164July 17, 2018 7:47 PM

I think Morgan’s plans changed when casting was finalized. It could start in 1964 but fast forward very quickly. Anne and Charles are being played by young adults.

by Anonymousreply 165July 17, 2018 9:30 PM

[quote]Anne and Charles are being played by young adults.

Well, since the plan is til 1976, that will be needed. Prince Charles was 28 in 1976.

But yes, I do imagine we will spend more time in the 70s, with the 60s being finished off in a couple episodes.

by Anonymousreply 166July 17, 2018 9:41 PM

HBC as Princess Margaret.

[quote]Hope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167July 18, 2018 12:33 PM

Ben Daniels as Antony Armstrong-Jones.

[quote]Hurt.

Notice that Colman got "Patience" as her caption.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168July 18, 2018 12:34 PM

Colman and Daniels look great, but I'm not seeing Margaret in HBC's picture. But she's a good actress, so perhaps she'll convince me. Kirby IS a hard act to follow.

by Anonymousreply 169July 18, 2018 2:17 PM

I sure am!

[quote]‘I will talk about Margaret forever’ Vanessa Kirby on The Crown, Time’s Up and the text she got from Helena Bonham Carter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170July 18, 2018 6:25 PM

Talk about naked

by Anonymousreply 171July 18, 2018 8:34 PM

Margaret was probably the last living person to use a cigarette holder.

by Anonymousreply 172July 18, 2018 8:42 PM

I can only hope the inevitable Princess Anne photo is captioned "Irritation."

by Anonymousreply 173July 18, 2018 8:46 PM

No, it should be captioned “Equine.”

by Anonymousreply 174July 18, 2018 11:31 PM

I can already tell you the ending of this segment. It takes place in 1976. It shows Elizabeth boarding her ship with Philip. She has just left the United States of America, which is in the midst of celebrating their Bicentennial. She is seen standing on the deck with the Statue of Liberty in the background bathed in fireworks. She turns to her husband and she says, "Oh, Philip, where did we go wrong? To be young, gifted and free!"

by Anonymousreply 175July 19, 2018 12:51 AM

[quote]We get the attempted kidnap of Anne. That will cover one whole episode.

Episode 4 will be an Anne-centric episode, but it won't just be the attempted kidnapping. I think it will also feature the courtship of Anne by Mark Phillips, and then their wedding--the latter happened just weeks before the attempted kidnapping.

by Anonymousreply 176July 19, 2018 2:12 AM

Charles's caption word should be "Indecisive."

Philip's should be "Sulky" or "Thwarted."

The Queen Mother's should be "Gaga" or "Dotty."

It should be an interesting season. They'll show the death and burial of the Duke of Windsor, and also how the royal family dealt with the Duchess of Windsor when she came to England in 1973 (the first time, I think, since 136) for his funeral. By that time she had the weirdest hairdo ever.

They'll have an episode on Charles' courtship of and then breaking with Camilla before he left for the navy tour.

by Anonymousreply 177July 19, 2018 2:17 AM

Here's a photo of Erin Doherty, who is playing Anne, next to Anne herself.

Anne was really striking when she was young. he became ugly really quickly, but she was almost a head-turner when she was younger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178July 21, 2018 2:54 PM

She was not a head turner. Photographers just caught a few images of her at certain angles. We just know her as someone important which her more interesting in pictures. She basic.

by Anonymousreply 179July 21, 2018 2:59 PM

Ben Daniels, who plays Lord Snowdon, is very out (he once remarked: "Out? I've never been in!"), and has lived for years with his partner actor Ian Gelder, who is 15 years older.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180July 21, 2018 3:01 PM

r179, I'm sorry, but I don't think anyone who uses the word "basic" would genuinely remember Princess Anne when she was young. (That's a compliment, I guess.)

by Anonymousreply 181July 21, 2018 3:02 PM

r181, I'm not even 30 so no I don't remember her from her younger years. But pictures and videos don't lie, she was a basic woman with dusty ass brittle pad looking hair. She was basic, as in not terrible when young but no great beauty.

by Anonymousreply 182July 21, 2018 3:10 PM

I added a lot of shade in my comment, so I'll say that she seems like a good woman. Probably the best of the lot outside of her mother. r182

by Anonymousreply 183July 21, 2018 3:12 PM

[quote] I'm not even 30

Surprise!!!

by Anonymousreply 184July 21, 2018 3:31 PM

I’ll always love Bette Midler’s assessment (paraphrasing here): “Princess Anne is a big fan of nature despite what it did to HER!”

by Anonymousreply 185July 21, 2018 5:03 PM

Yikes

by Anonymousreply 186July 21, 2018 6:51 PM

[quote]It transpires the real Queen is a fan, though. Kirby only knows this because a friend of hers was at a fancy party recently, “where he didn’t know a soul so when he heard some people discussing The Crown he was like: ‘Actually I know someone in that.’ They were like: ‘Cool.’ He goes: ‘No, but I really know someone in it,’ and, meanwhile, this girl says: ‘Well my granny likes it,’ and he suddenly realises her granny is the Queen. It was Princess Beatrice. Although, I told someone else recently it was Eugenie,” she laughs, “but I got that wrong.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187July 22, 2018 6:17 PM

“Fancy dress” is such a stupid term for a costume party. Going to a party as a nun or a cowboy ain’t “fancy dress.”

by Anonymousreply 188July 22, 2018 9:57 PM

[quote]I’ll always love Bette Midler’s assessment (paraphrasing here): “Princess Anne is a big fan of nature despite what it did to HER!”

The actual quote is, "She loves nature, despite what it did to her."

by Anonymousreply 189July 22, 2018 10:30 PM

Libby sitting down and enjoying the Crown makes me smile.

by Anonymousreply 190July 22, 2018 10:31 PM

r188 Are you referring to r187's quote? Because that says "fancy party", not "fancy dress party". She just meant there were really posh people there, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 191July 22, 2018 10:38 PM

My crown is fucking heavy

by Anonymousreply 192July 22, 2018 10:59 PM

Anne was never considered pretty, but she would have been considered 'handsome', and she's always been athletic (she was the first member of the British Royal Family to compete in the Olympics) and had a very nice figure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193July 22, 2018 11:09 PM

Agreed r183. Anne is a no-nonsense hard worker who doesn't care about excesses of pomp and fancy things. She seems like a good person.

by Anonymousreply 194July 22, 2018 11:31 PM

R189, thanks for the clarification.

I also remember a horse whinnying sound was used when Bette talked about Anne.

by Anonymousreply 195July 23, 2018 1:15 AM

Marion Bailey is the Queen Mother.

Anyone familiar with her work?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196July 26, 2018 5:12 PM

^^ he's got the ears for the role

by Anonymousreply 197July 26, 2018 5:17 PM

Josh O'Connor has been announced for months, I don't know why they are treating it as news.

by Anonymousreply 198July 26, 2018 5:19 PM

r198 I don't know how Daily Mail got that scoop back in May. They have spies everywhere on that island, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 199July 26, 2018 5:24 PM

According to imdb Marion Bailey is 65 which would make her the right age for the Queen Mum. Her credits indicate she’s a solid character actress. And in her photo she physically resembles Olivia Colman so that will be good.

by Anonymousreply 200July 26, 2018 7:16 PM

It was rumored for months but hasn't been official until today.

by Anonymousreply 201July 26, 2018 7:24 PM

I feel the crown

by Anonymousreply 202July 28, 2018 5:16 PM

[bold]Claire Foy disputes report she received back pay after Crown inequality controversy[/bold]

[quote]“That was what was reported that I was back-paid. I’ve never mentioned anything about it and neither have the producers. The fact that that is ‘fact’ is—not quite correct,” Foy told Al Arabiya.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203July 29, 2018 4:30 PM

I am very surprised to see that Claire won!

Pleased, but surprised!

by Anonymousreply 204September 18, 2018 2:22 AM

She deserved it over Moss and Russell.

by Anonymousreply 205September 18, 2018 8:25 PM

I watched season one last week, but it didn't really hold my attention. It's one of those shows where you can miss a scene and it won't affect your understanding of the plot. The characterizations are not very deep and they do not evolve or deepen in any way. How many more episodes of Phillip's bratty sulking? Or Margaret's frivolousness?

Matt Smith is good looking compared to the rest of the male cast, but what a ham. I'm going to fast forward through the Suez crisis episodes.

Alex Jennings is a standout. Best scenes in the show, hands down. Jared Harris too.

Couldn't they find a better looking actor to play Peter Townsend?

John Lithgow is good as Churchill, but I've recently watched Darkest Hour and Gary Oldman gave a much more nuanced performance.

by Anonymousreply 206September 18, 2018 8:57 PM

[quote]I’ll always love Bette Midler’s assessment (paraphrasing here): “Princess Anne is a big fan of nature despite what it did to HER!”

I wonder what she'd say about her own daughter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207September 19, 2018 1:17 AM

[quote]Josh O'Connor has the confidence that comes from being a guy who is hung. Poor Charles doesn't have that.

Prince Charles will be a ruler. Doesn't that mean at least 12 inches?

by Anonymousreply 208September 19, 2018 1:18 AM

[quote]Prince Charles will be a ruler.

Charles will never rule. Liz will make sure of it.

by Anonymousreply 209September 19, 2018 2:06 AM

Was so hoping we’d get at least 6 episodes or so in December but I don’t think that’s happening now..

by Anonymousreply 210October 3, 2018 12:48 AM

Huh? Why would that happen r210? Netflix releases it all at once when it is finished.

by Anonymousreply 211October 3, 2018 12:55 AM

Remember, back when Midler made those comments about Anne (the early 70s), Anne was being touted as a great beauty.

by Anonymousreply 212October 3, 2018 2:21 AM

R211, Netflux released six episodes of Kimmy Schmidt a few months ago (for awards consideration) and will release the rest of the season (its last) in January. I thought Netflix might do the same with The Crown, releasing at least part of the season so it could at least be a presence at the Golden Globes.

by Anonymousreply 213October 3, 2018 5:57 AM

I think Netflix, because of all the buzz surounding Olivia Colman’s performance in The Favourite, wil end up releasing six or so episodes in December. I can see Colman being a double winner at the Golden Globes and SAG Film Awards in January.

by Anonymousreply 214October 5, 2018 4:16 AM

No new news about The Crown? I’m disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 215October 19, 2018 2:02 AM

They are filming, you know the main cast, what do you expect to hear r215?

by Anonymousreply 216October 19, 2018 5:56 AM

I want to know if there’s any homosex in this season, R216, sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 217October 19, 2018 12:58 PM

They’ve cast Camilla!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218October 23, 2018 3:23 PM

If Charles croaks from a heart attack and Wills dies in a helicopter rescue mission, I will be your new King bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219October 23, 2018 3:32 PM

How is it that there were almost no scenes with Elizabeth and any of the kids, while you saw Phillip play with them a lot?The show suggests that she never spent any time with her children. Is that possible?

by Anonymousreply 220October 31, 2018 10:23 PM

Season 2 was good overall but nowhere as consistently good as season 1 IMO.

Agree100%.

by Anonymousreply 221October 31, 2018 10:29 PM

Possible r220? I would say it isn't even surprising. But yes Elizabeth was a distant mother for Charles and Anne, Charles has even publicly complained about that. Though apparently by the time Edward and Andrew came along she was more involved.

by Anonymousreply 222October 31, 2018 10:37 PM

Well you are already a queen honey R219.

by Anonymousreply 223October 31, 2018 11:55 PM

I hope they do a spoof of The Crown on SNL with Claire Foy on December 1st. Heidi Gardner would make a great Vanessa Kirby as Princess Margaret.

by Anonymousreply 224November 22, 2018 1:12 AM

They've recently filmed at Caernarfon Castle for Season 3 to film a reconstruction of Prince Charles's Investiture as Prince of Wales in 1969. They've almost exactly reproduced the insane contemporary-designed coronet Charles wore as well as the equally insane starship stewardess's hat the queen wore for the occasion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225November 22, 2018 1:42 AM

My favorite scene is when the queen's chic Greek aunt, Marina, Duchess of Kent, comes to her in the final episode to complain bitterly about Margaret's renovations to Kensington Palace.

"BANG-inggg, and HAM-meringgg, and DRILL-inggg!!!"

by Anonymousreply 226November 27, 2018 3:35 AM

When does the next season drop?

by Anonymousreply 227November 27, 2018 3:46 AM

No announcement yet, R227. I don’t think they finish shooting S2 until February.

by Anonymousreply 228November 27, 2018 4:05 AM

Oops, I meant S3, of course.

I wonder if the shooting schedule has been altered to accomodate Colman’s participation in the awards season for The Favourite.

by Anonymousreply 229November 27, 2018 4:08 AM

I know this is OT for this thread BUT...

When does Victoria drop?

by Anonymousreply 230November 27, 2018 4:11 AM

The ITV series, R230? Isn’t it only on PBS?

by Anonymousreply 231November 27, 2018 11:43 PM

I thought the Victoria dropped in the UK before is was shown in the US.

by Anonymousreply 232November 29, 2018 5:19 PM

Victoria is broadcast as a weekly series on ITV in the UK before it’s broadcast on PBS in the US. It isn’t dropped like Netflix drops The Crown.

by Anonymousreply 233November 29, 2018 5:30 PM

Gillian Anderson is playing Margaret Thatcher? Awful casting.

by Anonymousreply 234January 20, 2019 6:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!