Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Deceased bisexual hunk (oh yeah, and murderer) Aaron Hernandez had severe CTE

Aaron Hernandez, the former New England Patriots tight end who committed suicide in April while serving a life sentence for murder, was found to have a severe form of C.T.E., the degenerative brain disease linked to repeated head trauma that has been found in more than 100 former N.F.L. players.

A lawyer for Hernandez, Jose Baez, in announcing the result at a news conference Thursday, said researchers determined it was “the most severe case they had ever seen in someone of Aaron’s age,” which was 27.

C.T.E., or chronic traumatic encephalopathy, can be diagnosed only posthumously. Hernandez is the latest former N.F.L. player to have committed suicide and then been found to have C.T.E., joining Dave Duerson, Junior Seau, Andre Waters, Ray Easterling and Jovan Belcher, among others. Seau and Duerson shot themselves in the chest so that researchers would be able to examine their brains. Hernandez was found hanging in his prison cell.

Seau, Duerson and Waters were all older than 40, while Hernandez is one of the youngest former N.F.L. players to have been found with the disease. In July, researchers at Boston University released findings that showed that they had found C.T.E. in the brains of 110 of the 111 former N.F.L. players they had examined.

Baez said he has filed a lawsuit in federal court against the Patriots and the N.F.L. on behalf of Hernandez’s daughter.

Continue reading the main story RELATED COVERAGE

111 N.F.L. Brains. All But One Had C.T.E. JULY 25, 2017

The Fall of Aaron Hernandez APRIL 19, 2017

A Business Deal and a Murder, Seen Through the Rearview Mirror APRIL 27, 2017 Hernandez’s brain was examined by Dr. Ann McKee, chief of neuropathology at the VA Boston Healthcare System and director of the CTE Center at Boston University. She developed categories to describe the severity of the disease. Those with Stage 3 of C.T.E., typically had cognitive impairment and trouble with executive functions like planning and organizing. Those with Stage 4, the most severe version of the disease, had dementia, difficulty finding words and aggression.

Dr. McKee said in a statement that Hernandez had Stage 3.

The discovery of C.T.E. adds another turn in Hernandez’s meteoric rise and fall. After a standout career at Florida, Hernandez signed a record $40 million contract with the Patriots in 2012, when he was 22 years old. Just five years before, he had been working menial jobs in his hardscrabble hometown of Bristol, Conn., where he drove a $300 used car he bought with money borrowed from friends.

Yet 10 months after he signed his contract, in 2013, the body of a friend who had been shot multiple times, was discovered. He was convicted of the friend’s murder, was accused and acquitted of two other killings from 2012 and became a stark example of out-of-control, off-field behavior by N.F.L. players.

Even his demise was filled with turmoil. After Hernandez died, Baez called a news conference in front of the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner and accused the state of “illegally” withholding Hernandez’s brain. Hernandez’s body had been discovered the day before tied with a bedsheet to the window of his prison cell in Shirley, Mass. His death was later ruled a suicide.

The findings may help Hernandez’s family if it chooses to file for an award in the class-action settlement with the N.F.L.

Players who are younger than 45 when they are found to have C.T.E. can receive as much as $4 million. Those who died after the settlement was approved in April 2015 are not eligible for an award, but Hernandez’s family could argue for an exemption.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 16, 2018 2:58 PM

I thought he killed himself so his daughter will get the millions owed to him by the Pats?

by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2017 8:34 PM

Please do a search before starting a new thread about this topic

by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2017 9:09 PM

r2 This is the first thread about it, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2017 9:13 PM

Fuck, he was hot. I wish I was one of the guards cutting down his body just so I could feel his muscles.

by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2017 9:14 PM

Shouldn't all football players be tested regularly?

by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2017 9:24 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2017 9:53 PM

He also had severe G.A.Y.

by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2017 9:59 PM

OP this is hardly surprising and it also extremely dreary.

I don't see why there is any football in schools, nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2017 10:08 PM

"I don't see why there is any football in schools, nowadays."

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Anybody who thinks football is going to be disappearing from high school and college sports programs any time soon is extremely naïve.

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2017 10:11 PM

Happily, the CTE didn't affect his penis size. It just shriveled his brain.

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2017 10:17 PM

This isn't the first time someone has filed a lawsuit about CTE.

Honestly, humans are not meant to be knocked around that much.

The problem is the NFL knows about it and still doesn't bother to do anything about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2017 10:50 PM

Is there going to be a future cutoff point with these lawsuits? After awhile you have to know what you're getting into. I wonder how much damage Hernandez had before he even went to college.

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2017 11:03 PM

R5 - currently I think you have to be dead to be tested. The only way they can tell is by looking at your brain in an autopsy.

I gather there are various projects afoot to be able to creat effective tests for CTE on living brains - but still not quite there yet...

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2017 11:10 PM

When will we stop cheering for and praising these modern-day gladiators! We cheer them until they turn on us ...then we wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2017 11:23 PM

Does it affect the part of the brain that governs impulse control and violent behavior?

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2017 11:59 PM

R15 Yes it does. From my understanding it is a series of injuries that damages the brain tissue.

by Anonymousreply 16September 22, 2017 12:21 AM

Was he a top?

by Anonymousreply 17September 22, 2017 12:42 AM

R17, yes he was

by Anonymousreply 18September 22, 2017 12:44 AM

but they are wearing helmets. what about other sports like rugby?

by Anonymousreply 19September 22, 2017 12:44 AM

What does Paul thinking of America voting for ***Cody*** overwhelmingly over him?

"I don't care," is what his Stans will parrot, but that's bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 20September 22, 2017 12:47 AM

[QUOTE]Was he a top?

God yes. An extremely powerful top. Here's a re-enactment of a typical day when him and his white boy jailhouse lover Kyle Kennedy could sneak somewhere for private time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 22, 2017 12:51 AM

Well then he was a loss to the gay world.

by Anonymousreply 22September 22, 2017 3:00 AM

[quote]but they are wearing helmets. what about other sports like rugby?

R19, in US football the point is to stop your opponent using your entire body with your head first or as part of the hit. Also since the players are wearing helmets they use their heads more often because they think they're safer. They're not.

That's the difference between rugby and football injuries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 22, 2017 4:17 AM

American football says so much about our limitless appetite for violence, regardless of the human cost. But this will not continue. The game, as now played, will be sued out of existence.

by Anonymousreply 24September 22, 2017 4:33 AM

Here is a doc about concussions and how the NFL tried to cover it up. There is also a book of the same name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 22, 2017 4:50 AM

Couldn't agree more r10: A dumb jock with a big cock is a gift from heaven!

by Anonymousreply 26September 22, 2017 4:59 AM

In retrospect, it probably should have been obvious that the changes in Hernandez's behavior were likely linked to brain damage (at the time, I remember thinking that performance-enhancing drugs might be causing his craziness).

So I just got a shock looking at my FB page and realizing that a relative by marriage -- solidly middle class, college-educated, lives in NJ, not the South -- is still posting pictures of his 15-year-old son playing full-contact football all over, with captions like "Go get 'em Bears!". Seriously, how deep in denial are these people?

by Anonymousreply 27September 22, 2017 8:52 AM

[quote]God yes. An extremely powerful top. Here's a re-enactment of a typical day when him and his white boy jailhouse lover Kyle Kennedy could sneak somewhere for private time.

Are you so lazy that you couldn’t find a scene with a Latino?

by Anonymousreply 28September 22, 2017 9:08 AM

Considering this info is coming from that crooked scumbag Jose Baez I have little doubt the findings are most likely greatly exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 29September 22, 2017 9:17 AM

You guys are against football because none of you could throw a ball if your life depended on it.

by Anonymousreply 30September 22, 2017 9:24 AM

Huh, well I be damned ! I knew he didn't just go faggot, it was brain damage. I knew Hernandez didn't play that shit. It was the brain damage that mades him a bitch !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 22, 2017 6:12 PM

R30 Also because it's something straight men enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 32September 22, 2017 6:24 PM

[quote]I knew he didn't just go faggot, it was brain damage

Gurl please, he'd been pounding me since the 9th grade

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 22, 2017 6:40 PM

What happened with the Kyle story? Were they lovers or just friends?

by Anonymousreply 34September 22, 2017 8:16 PM

I hate watching games at the annual Thanksgiving get together and listening to the over amplified sound of helmets crashing. Can the rules be changed so it's more like rugby and players' heads are protected from all that battering?

by Anonymousreply 35September 22, 2017 8:48 PM

Im upset that Ryan is not trying to get some coins like Shayanna is. He should also get a cut because that is what Aaron wanted. Ryan held Aaron down more than Shay did, and was probably the true love of his life!

by Anonymousreply 36September 22, 2017 9:09 PM

R21 Anyone know who the top is? Or what movie its from?

by Anonymousreply 37September 22, 2017 11:02 PM

Yeah, and having and raising his daughter is nothing. No wonder women are getting hip to gay men and leaving you all the fuck alone.

by Anonymousreply 38September 22, 2017 11:07 PM

[quote]Yeah, and having and raising his daughter is nothing.

Gurl bye. She knew exactly what she was doing by having the girl $$$. Like so many others. If Aaron was still alive I know she would've moved on to another baller or celeb, or just spent his money. And Ryan would be the one still faithfully visiting his man.

by Anonymousreply 39September 23, 2017 12:01 AM

This morning on "First Things First with Cris Carter and Nick Wright" Cris basically had an emotional breakdown while discussing this story. I wish I could find it and post it here. Basically he was explaining that EVEN knowing of the danger of CTE before hand, he and other "boys from the projects(literally in his case) would still risk it all in order to elevate their families and break the cycle of poverty. Cris was one of 7 boys to a single mother of 25 years of age. Today, he is an incredibly bright, articulate man with his own TV show and multi- revenue streams, and he makes it clear that football is the only reason he is not in prison like so many men his age. It was raw and painful to watch..it would be an EMMY moment in scripted TV.

Oh and his mother went back to college and eventually earned her Master's degree.

by Anonymousreply 40September 23, 2017 12:37 AM

[quote]but they are wearing helmets. what about other sports like rugby?

An Australian rugby player who had dementia was later found to have severe CTE. There will be likely be more reported cases of CTE in rugby, boxing, MMA, and other extreme sports in time. Several deceased ice hockey players were autopsied and their brains showed CTE.

by Anonymousreply 41September 24, 2017 5:30 AM

r41 Also in soccer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 25, 2017 12:06 AM

48 Hours is doing a special about Hernandez on Saturday

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 14, 2018 4:23 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 44January 15, 2018 12:44 AM

Damn I missed the 48 Hours special because I didn't see this til Monday night.

Was it interesting?

by Anonymousreply 45January 16, 2018 6:51 AM

r45, you didn't miss it - it's on this upcoming Saturday (the 20th)

by Anonymousreply 46January 16, 2018 2:56 PM

I dont know if Im going to watch. It's probably just going to be some experts talking about CTE and some video of Shay and their daughter together. Call me when they have Ryan on to spill the true tea on his lover!

by Anonymousreply 47January 16, 2018 2:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!