Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Did Jackie Kennedy Marry that Toad Onassis?

Was she a gold digger?

Eldergays from that era, was there a big uproar when she did this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286March 30, 2018 10:22 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2017 1:51 PM

From what I read she wanted safety and security, and he provided it...

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2017 1:52 PM

Back in those days, there weren't many people who were as filthy fucking rich as Onassis, you had to take what you could get. It was totally different than the world today.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2017 2:02 PM

It's fairly well known that Jackie felt Aristotle's wealth was the only thing that could protect her and her children from "they" who killed Jack.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2017 2:06 PM

They used each other. He married her for the name. Poor Maria callas.

Remember the story about how he was photographed eating lunch in Paris w Maria, and the next day Jackie demanded they have lunch at the same place and be photographed? I don't think she gave a damn that he carried on w Callas, but she was not going to be humiliated.

There were no winners in this sordid tale. None. Maybe money. But I think the whole lot ended up bitter and resentful.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2017 2:08 PM

Is JFK supposed to be some kind of looker? He's really not. Not sure where that narrative started. Maybe it was his charisma.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2017 2:13 PM

If they're killing Kennedys...

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2017 2:16 PM

She was understandably scared as shit about her security and her children's security. Onassis could provide her all the security she needed. Yes she got a huge amount of blow back over marrying him. People wanted to take away her Secret Service protection, revoke her citizenship.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2017 2:17 PM

You should have heard the hilarious justification for this we got in Catholic school since Onassis was divorced and god forbid we should think ill of a Kennedy. (The marriage would never be consummated, don'tcha know!)

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2017 2:26 PM

Protection from the mafia

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2017 2:28 PM

People were upset. They were saying that she belonged to America, how could she go from JFK to that funny looking Greek, those kind of things. They lost interest eventually which always happens.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2017 2:30 PM

Any good book recommendations on Onassis? That whole thing was a national fascination and yes, my Catholic school explanation was a pretzel discussion!

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2017 2:33 PM

Shortly after the marriage Onassis' only son was killed in a small plane crash that he was piloting. I think it affected everything, Onassis went into a deep depression after that. Some claimed that it was the Kennedy curse that killed him, some said it was punishment for Onassis taking Jackie away from the US.

The son Alexander Onassis was quite good looking, very much a playboy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2017 3:06 PM

[quote]Is JFK supposed to be some kind of looker? He's really not. Not sure where that narrative started. Maybe it was his charisma.

He was young, virile and attractive, especially when compared to his predecessors and opponents.

I never heard the stuff posted above about Jackie wanting security for herself and her children (although it certainly makes sense), but her insatiable love of shopping was well documented. I remember there was an article where a reporter went shopping with her; Jackie decided she liked a particular t-shirt, so she bought a dozen of them. Kennedy used to raise hell about her shopping excesses and put the brakes on her, so I'm sure she enjoyed having access to as much money as she wanted to spend.

It may have helped that JFK absolutely despised Onassis for such boorish and gross behavior as picking his nose in front of people. JFK had not treated her well and he thought nothing of humiliating her in public (e.g. that Marilyn Monroe Happy Birthday, Mr. President mess), so part of her probably enjoyed getting back at him.

by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2017 3:10 PM

Ok. I guess that was the standard of good looks. Yes, he did have a youthful quality in comparison to previous presidents, but he has a weird face.

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2017 3:13 PM

She has an odd looking face. Too much space between the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2017 3:16 PM

Perhaps rich, old Greek dick was still good....for her.

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2017 3:16 PM

R15, I always thought JFK looked a bit lizard-y for my tastes, but whatever. He was quite an improvement over Ike and poor Nixon who looked like he got his face caught in a car door when he was a child.

R16, she had FAS face.

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2017 3:18 PM

R17, it's far more likely she tolerated the rich old Greek dick for the money. She was a courtesan, pure and simple.

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2017 3:21 PM

sexy sexy

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2017 3:21 PM

Ruined Maria Callas' life. Ariana Huffington wrote a book about Callas when she was still Stassinopolos (or whatever her name was) and dished the dirt. Inexplicably, Callas really WAS in love with Onassis.

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2017 3:29 PM

He owned his own island and had security guards all around it. She felt Skorpios was safe.

by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2017 3:29 PM

🥂💰💰💰🥃🍔👠👛👘🍧🍣🍱

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2017 3:29 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2017 3:29 PM

There used to be a saying among women of her class at that time: You marry three times: First for love, Second for money, Third for companionship.

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2017 3:34 PM

I don't think her marriage to JFK had anything to do with love.

by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2017 3:38 PM

[quote] You marry three times: First for love, Second for money, Third for companionship.

Yet Jackie never married Maurice Tempelsman her companion of 14 years.

by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2017 3:41 PM

In the play Master Class, it mentions his big uncut dong

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2017 3:41 PM

size meat, some charm, good fuck, masculine

great name, jet set and business connections

vast wealth,

he wanted her, its nice to be wanted

security and privacy

NOT american - jackie was quite chic and this guy was a glamorous euro playboy even if a bit of a troll

etc etc etc

i bet her kids liked him at least when they were kids.

by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2017 3:48 PM

a dick cannot possibly be big enough to compensate for having Onassis attached to it.

by Anonymousreply 30September 14, 2017 3:51 PM

Sez you, R30. I've fucked circus freaks with huge dongs. For free. I find freak + monster meat to be grittily exciting.

by Anonymousreply 31September 14, 2017 3:53 PM

Jackie was essentially a high-class gold digger. I suspect she had a variety of reasons for marrying Onassis, one of which was one-upping her sister.

by Anonymousreply 32September 14, 2017 3:55 PM

[quote]even if a bit of a troll

A bit? Onassis was a prototypical troll.

by Anonymousreply 33September 14, 2017 3:59 PM

I suspect Jackie was tired of being on assistance.

by Anonymousreply 34September 14, 2017 4:12 PM

I know these people. First of all, Onassis was going to marry Lee Radziwill. When Jackie became available, he traded up. Second, Tempelsman never divorced his wife Lilly, who is alive to this day and is very rich from her family. They are major diamond dealers Maurice is a partner with DeBeers who control the diamond industry. There was too much at stake for Maurice if he divorced, and it would have required a "get", which is an orthodox divorce, something Lilly would not agree to. The Tempelsmans were friends with Jackie and JFK during the White House years and in fact attended JFK's funeral. Read the book "Nemesis" by Peter Evans which goes into a lot of this in great detail.

by Anonymousreply 35September 14, 2017 4:12 PM

When JFK was assassinated, Jackie moved to NYC. She claims that she was very nervous about the children's safety. Onassis came along providing safety and money so Jackie took it. Jackie had to give up all US government support including Secret Service.

Some people thought she was a high class whore, some people thought she sold out the US and some people felt sorry for her.

Does anyone know about the Onassis family? In the Broadway show about Jackie, Christina is portrayed as squeezing a Diet Coke can and throwing it on the ground. What was the joke there?

by Anonymousreply 36September 14, 2017 4:28 PM

It's an odd coincidence that both partners in the Jackie-Onassis marriage had good-looking sons who died while piloting a private plane.

by Anonymousreply 37September 14, 2017 5:02 PM

You know who was a great First Lady? Lady Bird Johnson. She showed Jackie how it should be done.

by Anonymousreply 38September 14, 2017 5:12 PM

@38 I'm a fan of Lady Bird too. There are a lot of wonderful stories about this woman. Great example of a Texas woman who did what needed to be done..

by Anonymousreply 39September 14, 2017 5:19 PM

Onassis' wealth provided Jackie with three things: an opulent lifestyle, physical security and ultimate privacy. His money and influence could keep Jackie in the lifestyle she was accustomed to. Another attraction was his ability to provide security for her and her children after the two Kennedy assassinations. I think she felt that her children may be targets just for being Kennedys. Onassis also had his own airlines and a private island of Skorpios so her privacy was ensured as well.

by Anonymousreply 40September 14, 2017 5:30 PM

[quote]It's fairly well known that Jackie felt Aristotle's wealth was the only thing that could protect her and her children from "they" who killed Jack.

But soon after the marriage, she was back in NYC. Her kids remained in US schools.

This had nothing to do with "safety" outside of the cash she milked from him.

by Anonymousreply 41September 14, 2017 5:34 PM

[quote]It's an odd coincidence that both partners in the Jackie-Onassis marriage had good-looking sons who died while piloting a private plane.

No coincidence. The children of rich people are over-confident.

by Anonymousreply 42September 14, 2017 5:40 PM

Wasn't Onassis bi ? Heard he had a thing for young men ?

by Anonymousreply 43September 14, 2017 6:06 PM

She married him for the waters.

by Anonymousreply 44September 14, 2017 6:57 PM

Watersports?

by Anonymousreply 45September 14, 2017 7:02 PM

For which Jackie was undoubtedly grateful, R43.

by Anonymousreply 46September 14, 2017 7:02 PM

R36 No, not a joke. Christina's mother was a known beauty, and was apparently very disappointed she has such an unattractive child. Christina had major body image issues and was a notorious crash dieter. I don't remember if it was Coke or Diet Coke, but I remember reading she would have cases of it shipped wherever she was in the world and she was so intense about it that she claimed to be able to taste the difference between the different bottling plants.

R43 Rumor has it he let guys fuck him for money when he was young and poor. I believe they even portray this in the mini series about Onassis starring Jane Seymour as Maria Callas. (Maybe called The Richest Man in the Workd? ...whatever it's called, it's on YouTube. Go watch!)

To the person who wanted a book rec, I second the suggestion of Nemesis.

by Anonymousreply 47September 14, 2017 8:03 PM

For the money of course.

Onassis could have done far better.

BTW, Onassis was said to be both a sister and horse-hung!

Discuss!

by Anonymousreply 48September 14, 2017 8:05 PM

Also, no one has mentioned this component yet: Lee and Jackie were super competitive. Lee rushed into the marriage with her first husband in part because she wanted to beat Jackie to the altar. Supposedly, Lee slept with JFK at some point. I imagine Jackie derived some sick satisfaction from stealing Onassis from Lee for herself. Lee was pissed.

by Anonymousreply 49September 14, 2017 8:07 PM

R49, meet R32.

by Anonymousreply 50September 14, 2017 8:09 PM

[quote] BTW, Onassis was said to be both a sister and horse-hung!

He was a stinkfish and a sea horse?

by Anonymousreply 51September 14, 2017 8:10 PM

R50 Immediately after I posted I realized I phrased that poorly and some little shit was going to call me out. I should've said that while the competitiveness between the sisters has been mentioned, no one had yet repeated the rumor had it Lee fucked JFK.

by Anonymousreply 52September 14, 2017 8:13 PM

Fuck Lady Bird and all the rest. Who besides Crazy Mary Todd's characterization got a nomination for the Best Supporting Actress??? Pat Nixon!!!' And that's me, baby. Fuck Nancy, Bar Bush, and even Elle Roosevelt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 14, 2017 8:15 PM

I beg to differ R38 and R39

by Anonymousreply 54September 14, 2017 8:16 PM

R50/R52, I'm that little shit.

Precision of language!

by Anonymousreply 55September 14, 2017 8:21 PM

Amateurs all of them.

by Anonymousreply 56September 14, 2017 8:23 PM

Financial $ecurity

by Anonymousreply 57September 14, 2017 8:27 PM

Was Jackie also screwing Bobby ?

by Anonymousreply 58September 14, 2017 8:28 PM

I think it was his darker connections. Rumors in Kennedy land at the time intimated he was able to call off a mob hit on her because she knew who was responsible for the assasination. RFK wouldn't back off and we know what happened to him. Folks in Boston, at the time, blamed LBJ, the mafia, and the so-called Dark Government who killed JFK to hide the Johnson ties to gun-running and money laundering that was happening around the Vietnam war. The Johnsons made a killing. Lady Bird's family are munitions manufacturers.

by Anonymousreply 59September 14, 2017 8:32 PM

And this is important to us why?

👻 Jackie and Lee are coming back to haunt you this Halloween !

One should never speak I'll of ☠ The Dead.

by Anonymousreply 60September 14, 2017 8:35 PM

It is clown season. And we all know Jackie had that mysterious 'IT' factor.

by Anonymousreply 61September 14, 2017 8:37 PM

Just to correct the above, Jackie and Ari were married for 5 or so years before the son died.

Christine met her end early and the bulk of the Onasis money went to her baby daddy.

by Anonymousreply 62September 14, 2017 8:43 PM

No, it went to the child she had with the baby daddy.

by Anonymousreply 63September 14, 2017 8:45 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't think Christina looked THAT ugly?

by Anonymousreply 64September 14, 2017 8:45 PM

[quote] Am I the only one who doesn't think Christina looked THAT ugly?

Yes, Stevie.

by Anonymousreply 65September 14, 2017 8:48 PM

She had enough for good surgeons. She needn't have been so. That mother of hers must've really kicked the shit out of her ego. Her daughter is cute, but she did marry a lying cheating Brazilian.

by Anonymousreply 66September 14, 2017 8:51 PM

I remember my mother being thoroughly disgusted she married a "toad" like Onassis. She might have even referred to him as a toad, exact words.

I'm not sure many people realized at the time she needed protection for herself and her children, children coming first. The financial benefits were obvious but she was determined to give her children the best of privacy, education and a future. She got what she set out to accomplish and good for her.

First Ladies weren't help in nearly as high regard then as they are noe, even with the murder of her husband.

(My spell check wanted "Onassis" to be "on assistance." Glad I did a quick review.)

by Anonymousreply 67September 14, 2017 8:52 PM

Back to life, R60???? Lee's pussy is alive and well. She ain't no ghost. Unlike YOU, Norma Jean who has been worm's meat since '62.

by Anonymousreply 68September 14, 2017 8:52 PM

You're silly, R68. Norma Jean is alive and well and living in Houston with her love, Elvis. Get with the program.

by Anonymousreply 69September 14, 2017 8:53 PM

..."held", not "help."

by Anonymousreply 70September 14, 2017 8:54 PM

R21 your comment invokes a particular wrath. Yes, he betrayed me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 14, 2017 9:00 PM

[quote] Her daughter is cute, but she did marry a lying cheating Brazilian.

Yeah, but he's so hot.

by Anonymousreply 72September 14, 2017 9:02 PM

Can someone post a picture of the lying, cheating Brazilian ?

by Anonymousreply 73September 14, 2017 9:03 PM

He is. Didn't they divorce recently? I know it was a huge scandal in the competitive horsey jumping set.

by Anonymousreply 74September 14, 2017 9:04 PM

Jackie needed someone who could afford to buy her cartons of cigarettes. From all accounts she was a chain smoker, yet there are few pictures of her smoking.

by Anonymousreply 75September 14, 2017 9:05 PM

Here you go, R73.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 14, 2017 9:05 PM

And hello, magazine!

by Anonymousreply 77September 14, 2017 9:06 PM

[quote]Why Did Jackie Kennedy Marry that Toad Onassis?

She already landed herself a President, maybe she thought if she kissed this one hard enough, he'd turn into a prince.

by Anonymousreply 78September 14, 2017 9:07 PM

Thank you R76. Agreed he's hot.

by Anonymousreply 79September 14, 2017 9:07 PM

Poor Maria. She was amazing and deserved a lot better treatment. Apparently Ari sought her out, in Paris, many many times during the marriage.

by Anonymousreply 80September 14, 2017 9:10 PM

r72 Oh honey, anybody rich, middle class, or poor that marries a man from South American man needs their head examined. The bastards just want permanent residency in the U.S. or money. At least in Europe, they usually only target the rich women. That big pinga is not worth the grief.

by Anonymousreply 81September 14, 2017 9:10 PM

When she started dating the Greek it was reported that the Kennedy family joke was"Jackie won't be happy until she marries Ft Knox".

by Anonymousreply 82September 14, 2017 9:11 PM

Is there a good book about both Callas and Jackie? That would be a FEUD I would break my no more Murphy Productions vow to watch.

by Anonymousreply 83September 14, 2017 9:15 PM

Wow, Christina died at 37. That's sad. And she wasn't *hideous* but just a plain Greek girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 14, 2017 9:19 PM

Oops, let's see if this pic posts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 14, 2017 9:22 PM

Remember in the 70s. shortly before Onassis died, when he was appearing in public with his eyes taped open due to some sore of ailment? I wonder what that was. And even back then I thought, he has all the money in the world and he's resorting to this?

by Anonymousreply 86September 14, 2017 9:41 PM

I think she has a certain beauty, R85. Her skin is lovely and those lips are gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 87September 14, 2017 9:43 PM

I miss John John Kennedy.

by Anonymousreply 88September 14, 2017 9:55 PM

r85 Who the hell is that ugly thing?

by Anonymousreply 89September 14, 2017 9:57 PM

I don't think Christina was as ugly as Caroline Kennedy with her gopher teeth.

by Anonymousreply 90September 14, 2017 10:07 PM

You are all wrong.

The REAL reason she married him is that she found his amphibian light green skin tone irresistible.

by Anonymousreply 91September 14, 2017 10:07 PM

Jackie was on an around the world sex tour. She went from Irish to Greek to Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 92September 14, 2017 10:12 PM

Why not? It's the color of money, R91.

by Anonymousreply 93September 14, 2017 10:13 PM

I heard he gave her anal warts.

by Anonymousreply 94September 14, 2017 10:14 PM

R84 and r85 that is NOT Christina Onassis.

by Anonymousreply 95September 14, 2017 10:22 PM

R86, he had Myesthenia Gravis, and eventually died of complications relating to the disease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 14, 2017 11:08 PM

She said it was for "protection" and yes and yes. It was well known at the time that Jackie felt Aristotle's wealth was the only thing that could protect her and her children from "they" who killed Jack. Who could she ever have married? The Pope couldn't. Most of America wrung their hands, but understood. She felt Skorpios was safe. Her children actually spent little time there. In their bios it doesn't figure.

by Anonymousreply 97September 14, 2017 11:39 PM

The difference between being "brought up to marry well" and being a gold-digger is... um...

Let me get back to you on that one.

by Anonymousreply 98September 15, 2017 12:44 AM

Christina Onassis wasn't ugly, she was just brought up to believe she was ugly. Her features were actually fine, and with her huge dark eyes and thick hair she could have been looked very striking, if she'd had enough self-confidence to dress and present herself well.

And the perfect person to show her how to do that would have been her stepmother Jackie, now there was someone who took middling dark looks and made the world believe she was a great beauty and a style icon! But no, Christina resented her father's remarriage too much, and Jackie was never very interested in other women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 15, 2017 12:53 AM

Didn't Christina have a history of mental problems?

by Anonymousreply 100September 15, 2017 1:01 AM

R97, In addition to money and security, wasn't she also trying to get away from being the Widow Kennedy? Ethel didn't remarry but she wasn't revered like Jackie was.

by Anonymousreply 101September 15, 2017 1:14 AM

Onassis was supposed to be a very good step-father to John-John.

by Anonymousreply 102September 15, 2017 1:34 AM

Love Jackie threads.

Fwiw, Elizabeth Taylor defended Jackie for marrying Onassis. Iirc from what I read, Taylor said something like, "I think Jackie made an excellent choice. Ari is smart, charming and lots of fun."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103September 15, 2017 2:06 AM

[quote] smart, charming and lots of fun.

Like Della.

by Anonymousreply 104September 15, 2017 2:08 AM

smooooches, r104. Back at 'ya.

And I've posted this a million times before but i'll make it a million and one. According to Letitia Baldridge, or Nancy Tuckerman, (I get the two mixed up) if Christine Onassis did hate Jackie, that didn't stop her from calling on her at Jackie's 5th Ave. apartment with new boyfriend in tow to impress him. And this was AFTER Ari was dead.

Jackie always welcomed them in for tea, or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 105September 15, 2017 2:15 AM

Interesting to read here that she feared for her safety. Who did she think was responsible for JFK's assassination? What about the Kennedy family? Sorry for the derail.

by Anonymousreply 106September 15, 2017 2:21 AM

[quote] Who did she think was responsible for JFK's assassination?

Them.

by Anonymousreply 107September 15, 2017 2:28 AM

Well said R107

by Anonymousreply 108September 15, 2017 2:54 AM

[quote]Is there a good book about both Callas and Jackie?

"Greek Fire" is about Callas and Ari's relationship, and of course there's some Jackie in it. It's good.

by Anonymousreply 109September 15, 2017 3:09 AM

Can someone post a picture of Tina Livanos, Christina's mother who married both Ari and Stavros Niarchos who had been previously married to her sister Eugenie? Thanks

by Anonymousreply 110September 15, 2017 3:39 AM

He was a seXy lil guy and she was so horny all the time.

by Anonymousreply 111September 15, 2017 3:41 AM

Tina Livanos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 15, 2017 3:43 AM

Here, this is Tina Livanos Onassis. A good-looking woman, but not a beauty on the level of Grace Kelly. But Grace Kelly wasn't the daughter of a Greek shipping magnate, Onassis married her for her connections more than her looks. Onassis beat her up, and she eventually divorced him and married his most hated rival.

Was it Tina who called Christina "ugly" when she was growing up, or was it Ari?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113September 15, 2017 5:35 AM

Tina

by Anonymousreply 114September 15, 2017 5:37 AM

As a typical fish Jackie was interested only in money, not sex.

by Anonymousreply 115September 15, 2017 6:15 AM

The girl waving in r99 is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 116September 15, 2017 6:15 AM

What I remember most about Christina is her hound dog eyes and the dark circles under them.

by Anonymousreply 117September 15, 2017 6:56 AM

If I had a choice between rich or pretty, I would choose rich, R116.

by Anonymousreply 118September 15, 2017 8:48 AM

Stinkfish, R115.

by Anonymousreply 119September 15, 2017 10:47 AM

I thought Jackie's children as the children of the former POTUS had lifetime protection? This was certainly stated when she had the trouble with photographer Ron Gallela.

by Anonymousreply 120September 15, 2017 11:45 AM

R38: Bird was older and had her own money coming into the marriage. Jackies' family never really had a stable base of money. Her mother married Auchincloss which was a bit like Jackie marrying Ari. Give Jackie some credit with financial security and age, she became less of spoiled snob and that aside, she was always protective of her children having something resembling a stable childhood.

by Anonymousreply 121September 15, 2017 11:56 AM

Jackie's mother Janet Lee Bouvier Auchincloss was a first-class bitch who could've given even Bar Bush a few lessons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122September 15, 2017 12:00 PM

Please, R75, there are plenty of pics of Jackie O. smoking. Here's one of her smoking while pregnant with Patrick. And we all know how THAT turned out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123September 15, 2017 12:18 PM

Jackie was probably willing to do anything she could to afford her own security detail considering how much she knew about the underworld. JFK's father was a bootlegger of the first order who dealt with the mob not only in his Prohibition days but also during his time as part-owner of RKO studios. I am sure she heard one or two stories even though men didn't talk about business in front of women. Plus, politics was (is?) a nefarious business when she was working as a Girl Photographer in DC. And, think of Jack Ruby's connections. No doubt Jackie didn't want to end up like Dorothy Kilgallen.

by Anonymousreply 124September 15, 2017 12:54 PM

Jackie was motivated to get from under the thumb of the Kennedy family; look what they did to poor Joan. Jackie needed her own purse strings and Ari provided her with an allowance that gave her a good deal of freedom.

by Anonymousreply 125September 15, 2017 1:15 PM

He was kind of hot when he was young

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126September 15, 2017 1:23 PM

Jackie after marrying Ari spent most of the time with her children in NY anyway.She might have convinced herself it was a security thing but that was total bullshit.

Ari then would complain about how much money she was spending. As if she married him for love! She took the money Christina gave her at Ari's death and had Templesman parlay that fortune into a bigger one.

As selfish and snobby as Jackie was she treated those she worked with as a good colleague and she was totally devoted to her family including nieces and nephews.

And Greek Fire is a very entertaining book mostly about Ari and Maria but there of course is plenty about Jackie. Callas her self comes off as a generous selfish miserable handful who threw her great career away for a man who then humiliated her in front of the entire world.

And then she took up with him again. A feminist story about a self sufficient independent woman who will not give up her life for the love of a man this is not.

by Anonymousreply 127September 15, 2017 1:32 PM

Jackie Onassis always irritated the hell out of me, especially with her sing-song voice.

by Anonymousreply 128September 15, 2017 1:55 PM

Calling out Blackie-O and her beard cost me my life!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129September 15, 2017 1:56 PM

Yeah it was 100% preventable is she hadn't gone for her thousandth nip and tuck.

Can't even begin to imagine all the stress her body has been through.

by Anonymousreply 130September 15, 2017 2:26 PM

No r126, he was not hot. He as always ugly.

I didn't know that the bar stools on Aristotle's yacht were covered with the skins of whale testicles!!! Nasty and vulgar.

My opinion of Jackie has dropped considerably over the years, the more that I've read about her. Selfish, snobby, greedy and controlling. She wouldn't even let John Junior pursue an acting career because she didn't want him to become, in her words, a "fruit". She was a greedy cuntrag with eyes too widely spaced, small crooked teeth and the hands and feet of a Cro-Magnon. And a massive head. Not a beautiful woman at all.

by Anonymousreply 131September 15, 2017 2:33 PM

No. The bar stools on the "Christina" were actually Sperm whale penises. Jackie visited Hyannisport on the yacht when I was a kid and got to go aboard as a kid. Even as a baby gay the whole thing was gaudy and awful.

by Anonymousreply 132September 15, 2017 2:45 PM

Ari had a great big Greek cock. It was huge. Jack Kennedy suffered from The Irish curse.Both liked homosex on the side......

by Anonymousreply 133September 15, 2017 2:48 PM

R127 Callas was a low born Greek American from NYC. She also collaborated with The Nazis in WW II. Ari really treated her like a 5th class citizen when he married Jackie. Callas was good enough to be one of his fuck toys(along with other boys and girls) but not his wife. She thought she was classy BUT Ari put her in her place. She was a courtesan who loved the ugly Ari whereas Jackie loved him in a more Anglo Saxon type of way..........

by Anonymousreply 134September 15, 2017 2:53 PM

Callas was not a collaborator in the sense that we think. She was a teenage girl who sang for the Nazi and fascist occupiers in order to avoid starvation for herself and her family. Who wouldn't?

by Anonymousreply 135September 15, 2017 3:17 PM

Callas was the highest paid classical singer in the world. She did not need to be paid for her companionship. Though having a billionaire lover has perks that a dinky millionaire lover could not provide.

by Anonymousreply 136September 15, 2017 3:22 PM

[quote] It's fairly well known that Jackie felt Aristotle's wealth was the only thing that could protect her and her children from "they" who killed Jack

It's fairly well known that was a bullshit line she made up. Her kids weren't any safer with her being married to Onassis. I could possibly believe her if she went and lived on his private island in Greece to get away from America and the "they who killed Jack". But she didn't. And neither did her kids. The kids continued to go to school in America and they continued to have secret service protection. Jackie continued to live in NYC and she continued to have secret service protection. The only thing that changed with her marriage to Onassis was her bank account

She was a greedy money grubbing whore. She really wasn't that much different from a woman who used to set out to marry a doctor or a lawyer and be set for life financially. Jackie was just on a much, much, much grander scale. And she certainly was set for life financially. She was an extremely successful prostitute.

by Anonymousreply 137September 15, 2017 3:48 PM

[quote] Here, this is Tina Livanos Onassis. A good-looking woman, but not a beauty on the level of Grace Kelly. But Grace Kelly wasn't the daughter of a Greek shipping magnate, Onassis married her for her connections more than her looks. Onassis beat her up, and she eventually divorced him and married his most hated rival.

You might find this ironic. Jackie used to go to NY Hospital for cancer treatment. She had to be hospitalized a few times and also had surgery there. This was back in the 1990's and the hospital had a few "suites" for their VIP patients. The one Jackie always used to stay in had a big plaque out front of it saying "The Stavros Niarchos Suite". She spent the last week of her life in that suite before she went home to die". The room was very, very nice. I worked there at the time and I always wondered what Jackie thought when she first saw that plaque.

by Anonymousreply 138September 15, 2017 4:00 PM

JO was so stupid (going to doctors and being poisoned to the point of having to perform self-euthanasia when there had been nothing wrong in the first place) that she did not get to enjoy the money for long.

by Anonymousreply 139September 15, 2017 4:09 PM

R85 pic is not Christina onassis

by Anonymousreply 140September 15, 2017 4:14 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141September 15, 2017 4:15 PM

R85 pic is some boring kiwi who gets her kicks out of imitating other people. In that photo, she is imitating Christina Onassis

by Anonymousreply 142September 15, 2017 4:30 PM

Christina was fug! That face could stop Big Ben! Athina isn't a great beauty, good thing that she had a cute dad, or she'd be like Beatrice and Eugenie.

R132, whale penises? Think I would rather have the testicle skin.

Was Jackie's lymphoma the non Hodgkin's type or the other?

by Anonymousreply 143September 15, 2017 4:33 PM

Anybody be it a man or woman who marries for security which is a lot of people is a legal prostitute.

by Anonymousreply 144September 15, 2017 5:57 PM

That's bullshit, R144. Judgements like that belong back in the Middle Ages.

by Anonymousreply 145September 15, 2017 7:43 PM

Funny how everyone criticizes Jackie for marrying Onassis for his money, and nobody criticizes Onassis marrying Jackie for her fame.

He didn't love her and she didn't love him and they both knew it, so I don't know why he spent the whole marriage complaining about her. All he ever offered his new wife was money, why be angry that she went out and spent it. What did he expect, after marrying for purely cynical motives, did he think she would act all devoted and submissive in return?

by Anonymousreply 146September 15, 2017 8:15 PM

Of course Jackie married Onassis for his money, and why not? The Kennedys had her on a short leash and she was tired of it. In Onassis, she saw a way to break free from the control of the Kennedys and have unlimited $$$ at her disposal. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 147September 15, 2017 9:36 PM

A girl's gotta eat.

by Anonymousreply 148September 15, 2017 10:25 PM

On the contrary R145 it's just reality as it's always been.

True in the middle ages and just as true today.

People marry for money and for lust.

Only the lucky few for genuine love.

by Anonymousreply 149September 16, 2017 12:40 AM

[quote]I thought Jackie's children as the children of the former POTUS had lifetime protection? This was certainly stated when she had the trouble with photographer Ron Gallela.

The same protection given to JFK, and we all saw how effective it was.

by Anonymousreply 150September 16, 2017 10:03 AM

Ari chose well to marry Jackie over artistic genius but fucked-up Maria. Jackie was a pleasant and moderate person, quite conventional to her class. I don't think she was a lot of work for any man. Costly might be the most of it.

by Anonymousreply 151September 16, 2017 10:16 AM

Ari's sister who was very close to him disliked Maria and knew if they got married it would have been a disaster. Callas would not even tolerate his discreet affairs like Tina or Jackie would.

Callas's deep to the point of masochism love for him(she never got over her mother's dislike, maybe hatred, of her) was going to be her undoing no matter what. I think it was Rudolf Bing who said she had a super-inferiority complex and could never be happy.

by Anonymousreply 152September 16, 2017 12:08 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

by Anonymousreply 153September 16, 2017 12:56 PM

💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

by Anonymousreply 154September 16, 2017 1:12 PM

I thought that when Jackie remarried she lost all Secret Service protection.

by Anonymousreply 155September 16, 2017 1:21 PM

Yes for herself but not for the children.

by Anonymousreply 156September 16, 2017 1:41 PM

Cash!

by Anonymousreply 157September 16, 2017 1:42 PM

Great pic of Jackie with a cig in her mouth. What brand did she smoke?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158September 16, 2017 1:43 PM

[quote]Yes for herself but not for the children.

So basically she could get free Secret Service protection and all she had to do was have one of the children with her wherever she went.

Caroline: But Mom, I don't WANT to go to Bergdorf's.

by Anonymousreply 159September 16, 2017 1:50 PM

R158 smoking is how we keep ourselves lithe and oh-so-alluring!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160September 16, 2017 1:54 PM

I think that was how she won the case for a restraining order against Ron Galella, because he was within a certain distance of her children when he photographed Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 161September 16, 2017 1:55 PM

Christina Onassis was pretty as a young, happy woman. Misery, pills and bad men aged her.

People here are piling on Jackie for marrying for money, but Christina Onassis and her daughter Athina were preyed upon by male gold diggers with little hesitation to destroy their own families to win the prize -- Athina's husband's GF committed suicide after he left her. Men pull these tricks too, often with more collateral damage.

by Anonymousreply 162September 16, 2017 2:17 PM

R158 I remember reading somewhere that she smoked Parliament cigs.

by Anonymousreply 163September 16, 2017 4:59 PM

R162 People are piling on Jackie here because the thread's about Jackie Sherlock.

Nobody is saying men aren't as venal. That's why Ari married Tina as somebody above noted. You might want to read the entire thread before making accusations.

by Anonymousreply 164September 16, 2017 5:37 PM

Why Did Jackie Kennedy Marry that Toad Onassis?

To prevent this from happening, as described in the now DL classic, "Jackie on Assistance" . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165September 16, 2017 5:47 PM

Jackie and Lee popularized the 'no tits' look in fashia!

by Anonymousreply 166September 16, 2017 5:49 PM

I believe every one knows she married him to provide an inheritance for her children.

by Anonymousreply 167September 16, 2017 5:52 PM

[quote] That's bullshit, [R144]. Judgements like that belong back in the Middle Ages.

It's true. And I don't think there's anything wrong with being a prostitute. But let's call it what it is. Prostitution. And it's the oldest profession in the world.

by Anonymousreply 168September 16, 2017 5:56 PM

[quote] Funny how everyone criticizes Jackie for marrying Onassis for his money, and nobody criticizes Onassis marrying Jackie for her fame.

Why should anyone criticize him? . He wasn't trying to hide that fact. We are criticizing Jackie because she is the one who made up the whole tall tale about marrying him so she and her children would be safe. It was complete and utter bullshit. And yes, people are going to call her out for it. She was in it for the money. She was a prostitute (a very successful one). Good for her

by Anonymousreply 169September 16, 2017 6:04 PM

But didn't both families have money--the Kennedys and the Bouviers? Wasn't Jackie set up for life, with a goodly amount left over for her children?

Or was it that she didn't have a genuine fortune and she wanted a genuine fortune?

And it's true that marrying Callas would have made anyone's life hell. She was a great artist, but completely crazy and very clingy.

by Anonymousreply 170September 16, 2017 6:07 PM

Onassis did not marry Jackie for being the woman she was; he married her because of to whom she was once married.

If Lee had been married to JFK, rather than Jackie's being married to him, Onassis would have pursued/married Lee.

by Anonymousreply 171September 16, 2017 6:11 PM

It's kind of hilarious that Jackie considered herself so poor after JFK died, with all her yapping about security "for her chiildren." I don't think JFK's left her gazillions, but surely it was comfortable enough, especially for the '60s.

I read that the very day of Onassis' funeral, she and Ted Kennedy were arguing in some limo (that was in the funeral procession) with Christina about what Jackie should get. Christina was pretty disgusted with all the haggling, quoted Jackie a final figure and left the car, steaming. Tacky Jackie just couldn't wait to count the $$$$.

by Anonymousreply 172September 16, 2017 6:14 PM

[quote] I believe every one knows she married him to provide an inheritance for her children.

That's complete bullshit. Her children were already set to get a great inheritance from their father's side of the family. She married him for his money and what it could do for her. There's nothing wrong with that either. The minute she married Onassis she set about spending as much of his money on herself as she possibly could. She was extremely selfish and greedy. She was a money grubbing whore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173September 16, 2017 6:15 PM

First Christina who knew she wasn't anywhere near being as lovely or pretty or charming as her mother found their divorce very painful. She also knew she could never know if any man would love her for herself being a billionaire's daughter and no looker.

Then her brother whom she was very close to died tragically and nobody knew if it was murder to get at Ari or simply a terrible blunder.

Then shortly after that her mother died in misery after Alexander's death possibly at the hands of her uncle/stepfather who was already under suspicion for murdering Christina's aunt(Tina's sister.) He was a wife beater.

After Alexander's death Ari who staked everything on his son taking over his empire went into a deep depression, suffered major business failures when in the past he had always been a shrewd but also lucky gambler, and then his body went into a steep decline suffering from myasthenia gravis. And then he died.

Christina's good looking final husband who everyone knew was in it for the cash kept his very pretty girlfriend as his mistress.

Then between the pills for depression and the pills for dieting I'm sure death was some sort of freedom for her.

And I didn't even mention that she and her brother hated Callas hoping their parents would one day reconcile. And they called Jackie 'the widow' who brought misfortune to others wherever she went.

by Anonymousreply 174September 16, 2017 6:16 PM

[quote][R162] People are piling on Jackie here because the thread's about Jackie Sherlock.

Jackie Sherlock? Who's that? I'm looking for the Jackie Onassis thread.

by Anonymousreply 175September 16, 2017 7:30 PM

Jackie was a tramp. Aside from Onassis and possibly having an affair with Bobby Kennedy and Secret Service agent Clint Hill, she also had an affair with Jack Warnecke (the man who designed JFK's gravestone) . He wanted to marry her. She also probably slept with Peter Lawford. Newly divorced Peter and Jackie spent several weeks together (with their kids) on vacation in Hawaii.

While dating Onassis, Jackie also strung along a few other men (Roswell Gilpatric and David Ormsby Gore). Jackie broke up Gilpatric's marriage. While on her honeymoon with Onassis she wrote letters to both men breaking the news to them that she had just married Onassis

by Anonymousreply 176September 16, 2017 7:45 PM

I always thought the marriage was a business deal. At the time, Jacqueline Kennedy was the most famous, revered woman in the world and Ari felt it gave him some kind of stature to marry someone like her; she of course got the moola (you go girl)! She did not owe loyalty to anyone, especially the Kennedy family. She suffered in silence while she endured a cheating husband and stood by him so he could be President. I am sure she felt it was finally her free time.

by Anonymousreply 177September 16, 2017 7:51 PM

R176, Jackie and her sister, Lee, learned well from their mother.

by Anonymousreply 178September 16, 2017 7:53 PM

Smart lady.

She wasn't going to stick around for the Widow, paparazzi has been bullshit and I am sure on some level she was terrified for her and her children's safety after Bobby got shot right before she decided to marry Onassis.

Be the spoiled wife of a billionaire, with a private island, security, yacht etc..., some good sex thrown in, plus he was very flexible about her having her kids in school in NY and living her NY life, for him it was a prize to get her. Plus he was an intelligent motherfucker and knew how to protect her.

This relationship, sadly, was not built to last, things turned batshit when his son died. I read he blamed her, so he was most likely a prick on some level. He wrote her out of his will and everything but Christina gave her a big payout to go away.

She was quick to run back to the Kennedy's after that, realized they would always be there for her unlike the batshit Onassis family. Teddy obviously summoned to help with the fall out, went to Greece to be with her for the funeral.

Christina had her completely sidelined at the end, made her walk with Teddy and the kids a few rows after the coffin at Onassis funeral. Despite the bad ending, she knew she had to be more than the Kennedy widow. From '68 to the end of her life she referred to herself as Jacqueline Onassis. Like I said, smart as hell.

by Anonymousreply 179September 16, 2017 8:03 PM

No doubt, Jackie was a bully.

Read the Vanity Fair article from several years back (perhaps it's archived at their website) about her mean treatment of William Manchester, who she commissioned to write about JFK and the assassination.

Still, I cast no stones that she peddled her pussy and stature to Ari Onassis. Security , sex and stature are commodities that trade at what the market will bear.

by Anonymousreply 180September 16, 2017 9:21 PM

I like Jackie. I didn't for a long time. But as I grow older and appreciate the realities of the times and the world in which she grew up, I think I'm glad to know she could be tough and calculating and you know, raise two really fine children. Onassis was no saint you know. He was fucking Maria Callas right up to and during his marriage to Jackie O. And Jackie knew exactly what she was to him. She was a trophy wife. The biggest Trophy Wife in the world. Jackie played him. So what? They were both adults both walked in with their eyes wide open. He knew exactly what was going on and so did she. That's why they had a pre nup. She told him she had to spend a certain amount of time in the United States and insisted her children go to American schools. YHe and his ex wife and Stavros Niarchos and his ex sife's sister were all scandalous people.

by Anonymousreply 181September 16, 2017 9:32 PM

So did Caroline end up with any of the Onassis cash???

by Anonymousreply 182September 16, 2017 9:36 PM

Gold digger for sure

by Anonymousreply 183September 16, 2017 9:45 PM

I do feel bad for Christina, who seems to have lived a singularly unhappy life.

But she also seems to have been an extremely limited person, who spent her entire life looking for someone to love her, and who never developed any interest in anything outside herself and her needs. If she'd looked outside her own need for love and worked at feeding the hungry, housing refugees, climbing mountains, or just riding horses like her daughter, she'd have been happier and much more confident. And maybe she'd have been able to actually get a man interested in her, but no, she seemed like someone living their life under a curse.

by Anonymousreply 184September 16, 2017 10:38 PM

Jackie married him for his money, period. She was already quite well off but she wanted to be filthy, disgustingly rich, so she married the ugly, vulgar Onassis. She was a compulsive spender; he gave her a huge allowance and it still wasn't enough to satiate her "money lust" as one person put it.

She didn't care about him. When he was on his deathbed she was traipsing around Paris, flitting about and getting her hair done. When he died, she was not with him. At his funeral she was smiling.

by Anonymousreply 185September 16, 2017 10:44 PM

I'm glad she wrote those men on her honeymoon that she had married Onassis otherwise how would they have known?

by Anonymousreply 186September 16, 2017 10:53 PM

… Now I ain't saying she a gold digger But she ain't messing with no broke niggas Now I ain't saying she a gold digger But she ain't messing wit no broke niggas…

by Anonymousreply 187September 16, 2017 11:00 PM

Once again, it's was all about this: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thinking otherwise is nonsense. When a person is used to a certain lifestyle, they fight hard to keep it. From what I read over the years, she sure didn't love Ari.

Was Jackie O really a book editor or was she hired because of who she was. How much work experience did she actually have in the publishing world to get such a position?

by Anonymousreply 188September 16, 2017 11:08 PM

yes she actually published books, hands on.

by Anonymousreply 189September 16, 2017 11:09 PM

she had a great skill set for that job. writers liked her as a publisher.

by Anonymousreply 190September 16, 2017 11:10 PM

So you're telling us that some foreign vulgarian actually paid for our house repairs?

by Anonymousreply 191September 16, 2017 11:13 PM

[quote]Was Jackie O really a book editor or was she hired because of who she was. How much work experience did she actually have in the publishing world to get such a position?

She was hired for who she was. And what writer is going to come out and say "Jackleen knows fuck all about editing"?

by Anonymousreply 192September 16, 2017 11:15 PM

I never thought her marrying him was totally about money. After Kennedy was shot, Jackie was probably the #1 celebrity, and the public expected her to play the virtuous widow forever and ever. Nobody could have lived up to those expectations, especially someone as intelligent as her. I always suspected that married Onassis in part because it would spoil the image she never wanted. It seemed partly to be her way of sticking it to the adoring American public. I really admired her for that.

by Anonymousreply 193September 16, 2017 11:16 PM

MONEY pure and simple. I don't think Jackie Onassis really gave two fucks about the American public. Jackie Onassis did what was best for Jackie Onassis.

by Anonymousreply 194September 16, 2017 11:21 PM

Exactly, r193. The American public wanted Jackie to be the National Widow for the rest of her life. Always "Jackie Kennedy," like a living monument. Jackie said "fuck that." Good for her. What a miserable existence that would've been.

by Anonymousreply 195September 16, 2017 11:22 PM

Everyone smiles at a funeral if they have been left a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 196September 16, 2017 11:23 PM

Well he didn't love her either so they were even on that score. As somebody pointed out they both went into it with their eyes wide open.

He could have married Callas who he knew loved him but what was the world's most famous opera singer compared to the catch of the century?

Jackie was no worse than he was. She gave him her fame and he wanted her love too? As they say it can't be bought. His ego was as big as his fortune.

Of course she was smiling at his funeral it was time to cash in.

by Anonymousreply 197September 16, 2017 11:24 PM

Does anyone know how much Ari guaranteed her in the will with the prenup? I guess the prenup wasn't so ironclad and Christina was afraid she would line her pockets with more if she didn't offer her another large amount to just go away.

by Anonymousreply 198September 16, 2017 11:32 PM

Yeah I read that Jackie could have gotten a whole lot more despite the pre nup due to Greek law. She seems to have been pretty nice about it and walked away with about 20 million which for Ari was pocket change even back then.

by Anonymousreply 199September 16, 2017 11:38 PM

$20 million is nothing today, as far as rich celebrities go, but back in the 70s that was quite a fortune.

by Anonymousreply 200September 16, 2017 11:40 PM

Not for Ari. The guy was a billionaire. Jackie as his widow was legally entitled to 10s of millions more if she were to pursue it.

by Anonymousreply 201September 16, 2017 11:46 PM

Jackie certainly had the pottiest mouth of any first lady. /every other word was four letters.

by Anonymousreply 202September 16, 2017 11:48 PM

[quote]Ok. I guess that was the standard of good looks. Yes, JFK did have a youthful quality in comparison to previous presidents, but he has a weird face

Well, he was no William McKinley I can tell you THAT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203September 16, 2017 11:52 PM

[quote] She wasn't going to stick around for the Widow, paparazzi has been bullshit and I am sure on some level she was terrified for her and her children's safety after Bobby got shot right before she decided to marry Onassis. From '68 to the end of her life she referred to herself as Jacqueline Onassis.

If she were terrified she got over it very, very quickly. After she married Onassis she went on a honeymoon for 3 weeks and then went back to NYC. And then she was out and about all over the city. And she referred to herself as Jacqueline Onassis because that was her name. She ceased being a Kennedy when she married him. She would have been called out on it if she tried to go by Kennedy.

by Anonymousreply 204September 16, 2017 11:57 PM

No she decided to marry Onassis before Bobby was shot.

He knew and asked her not to announce it before the election and she agreed.

Of course she then could claim they were killing Kennedys so she had to get her children out of the US.

Things worked out very well for her until they didn't.

by Anonymousreply 205September 17, 2017 12:02 AM

All Lee got was a million from Ari as a consolation prize when he ditched her for Jackie. I realize that was a lot of money back then but Lee lived lavishly and it was a drop in the bucket compared to what Jackie was going to get.

by Anonymousreply 206September 17, 2017 12:14 AM

Ethel was being pretty nasty to her as RFK moved closer to getting the White House. Ethel wanted to be THE Mrs Kennedy...

by Anonymousreply 207September 17, 2017 12:37 AM

I want to know more about the Tina Livanos-Ari Onassis-Stavros Niarchos thing. Can any of you seasoned gossips recommend a book?

by Anonymousreply 208September 17, 2017 12:43 AM

True, r207. Ethel became quite haughty with Jackie when it was assumed that RFK would win. Ethel was always jealous of her.

by Anonymousreply 209September 17, 2017 1:45 AM

Does anyone recommend the Kitty Kelley book, "Jackie Oh!"?

by Anonymousreply 210September 17, 2017 2:12 AM

Why would Ethel be jealous of anyone? She had the better looking husband and if you look at the number of children they had, she was getting it quite regularly.

by Anonymousreply 211September 17, 2017 2:14 AM

Watch it!!! Ethel will flick a booger on you!

by Anonymousreply 212September 17, 2017 2:15 AM

" It seemed partly to be her way of sticking it to the adoring American public. I really admired her for that."

You admired her for THAT? Boy, are you fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 213September 17, 2017 2:24 AM

I once read that Jackie always slept on new sheets every night. Any truth to that?

by Anonymousreply 214September 17, 2017 2:34 AM

I feel bad but I always associate Jackie Kennedy's eyes with a hammerhead shark....

by Anonymousreply 215September 17, 2017 2:36 AM

She was a greedy cunt.

by Anonymousreply 216September 17, 2017 2:38 AM

I think Jackie really loved Onassis's true kindness and his abundance of penis by all measures. Compared to her 1st love Jack, she was never able to become comfortable having the same first name as here husband#1 since they couldn't be differentiated from one another when nude. With Onassis she could walk on beach with him and anyone possessing the gift of vision could tell which tracks were Jackie's and which were Aristotle's. That Grand Canyon middle groove in the sand between one set of tracks truly made Jackie's whopping size 11 foot prints look almost feminine even though Aristotle's foot in comparison was a petite sized 8. One could stare at those tracks and quickly surmise these two love birds were made for each other.

by Anonymousreply 217September 17, 2017 3:15 AM

I was in high school when Jackie died, and back then I thought of her as an old lady. Now that I'm over 40, I realize how relatively young she was.

by Anonymousreply 218September 17, 2017 3:20 AM

Is R217 a quote from Kitty's book?

by Anonymousreply 219September 17, 2017 3:41 AM

Ethel Kennedy teased her about her large feet more than once.

by Anonymousreply 220September 17, 2017 4:26 AM

These people were supposed to be our contemporaries and everyone I knew was horrified. No one we knew who were our age were like those people, and it depressed us that we were viewed that way.

by Anonymousreply 221September 17, 2017 5:22 AM

It was good while it lasted. He was supposed to be very charismatic and sexy in person. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 222September 17, 2017 7:39 AM

----

by Anonymousreply 223September 17, 2017 12:22 PM

R210 Jackie Oh! is a good read, however, in my opinion, Kitty Kelley's book on Nancy Reagan is her true masterpiece. (I've been know to hand it out as a gift.) If I remember correctly, Jackie Oh! was written at the end of the 70s, so it leaves a lot of her life out.

I think it's fine if you're just wanting a little bit of Jackie dish, but for a comprehensive look there are better books out there.

by Anonymousreply 224September 17, 2017 12:31 PM

R12, "Greek Fire" by Nicholas Gage

by Anonymousreply 225September 17, 2017 12:45 PM

I heard that as much as Christina resented Jackie, even after her father died and she would be in NY, she would always bring her friends to meet Jackie. No fool she. She knew it would impress them.

by Anonymousreply 226September 17, 2017 12:47 PM

Jackie made a damn good book editor.

by Anonymousreply 227September 17, 2017 12:48 PM

r213, A good portion of the American Public voted for that bigoted, ignorant, grafter Trump.

So yeah, r193's point about Jackie not acceding to play the frozen widow on the pedestal for the benefit of us is well taken.

by Anonymousreply 228September 17, 2017 12:53 PM

I agree R227. She worked closely with her writers and several of them were foreign and had no concerns about bad mouthing her if she didn't deliver. To an author, his book is like his child. They need support, and they need care and her suggestions and help were very much valued.

Now, I read Greek Fire and have it in my personal library. It was about Maria Callas, and of course Ari Onassis, and their years long affair. But there are other books out here that focus primarily on Ari and Tina and her sister and Niarchos. Niarchos murdered her sister, then, after she divorced Ari and her sister was dead, at some point she married Niarcho.

He was a brutal man. So was Ari. Culturally these two men were very old school about being authority figures and beating their wives, etc. It was part of the old world culture. Plus neither Ari or Stavros Niarchos came from money. They clawed their way up and they left some bodies in their wake.

Christina was sort of overlooked. Her parents marriage was a battleground, and after Alexander Onassis was born, Christina became practically invisible. For a Greek father, his Son was his whole world. Christina's mother was known all over the world as one of the great beauties of her day. Christina was homely. Really homely. She chased after her father learning about the shipping business and in fact helping him run his empire. But she was also an alcoholic, a manic depressive and completely dependent on prescription drugs.

When Alexander died in a plane crash, Ari fell apart completely, and he and Jackie became irreparably estranged. There was no way Jackie was going to be a dutiful Greek wife. She knew to keep Ari under control she had to be elusive, just a little bit out of reach. At first he doted on her and really indulged her, over promising her the moon.

But Jackie also had to maintain her independence because of her kids. I read something about Teddy and Bobby and Jackie talking about how the President's children were Kennedys and they were American and should be raised and educated from that perspective.

They spent some time in Greece in the summers, and Ari was kind to the children. Both have said they remember him as a kind man. But Ari agreed to allow the children to be educated and live part of the year in NYC. Soon, Jackie was inventing summer vacations with special activities for them so they didn't simply idle their time on some Greek islands. As she observed Greek culture and the way Alexander and Christina turned out she was convinced she had to avoid Ari influencing her kids too much.

After Alexander died Ari turned to Christina for support and she helped him revise his opinion of Jackie. They became estranged, and of course Maria Callas was still around whispering in his ear now and then. Do try to find some Onassis biographies. Fascinating shit. Especially the deaths of the Livanos sisters.

by Anonymousreply 229September 17, 2017 1:20 PM

I'm curious to know why people thought Niarchos killed his wife.

by Anonymousreply 230September 17, 2017 5:27 PM

From another thread:

Stavros was considered to be a very violent man, [R28]. His first wife, Eugenie, Christina's aunt, died while her husband was with her. Although the husband claimed that Eugenie had taken an overdose of sleeping pills, the autopsy showed that Eugenie had bruises from her neck to her feet. Some say that Stavros was sick of Eugenie's jealous tantrums and simply snapped. In any case, Greek courts wanted to charge Stavros with murder, but the arrest warrant was overturned by the Greek military government. The military junta in power at that time was involved in very beneficial business transactions with Stavros that they did not want to jeopardize.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231September 17, 2017 6:16 PM

After Alexander's death Ari's, when things started to turn against him with a vengeance, greek superstitiousness rose up like a sea monster blamed Jackie whom death followed like a stalking suitor and his own foul deeds including murder for his catastrophic bad luck.

by Anonymousreply 232September 17, 2017 7:37 PM

Let me guess... after Onassis married the most famous woman in the world, a worldly sophisticate from an upper-class background, he expected her to start behaving like an obedient little Greek wife? And got angry when she didn't?

by Anonymousreply 233September 17, 2017 11:21 PM

That's a big part of it, r233. I know, ridiculous to think Jackie would ever have changed.

by Anonymousreply 234September 17, 2017 11:23 PM

Ethel Kennedy was just on a rerun of Cheers

by Anonymousreply 235September 18, 2017 7:06 AM

I don't think a sister, even one who who hates her sister, would marry the murderous husband.

by Anonymousreply 236September 18, 2017 9:22 AM

R85 that is NOT C.O.

New Zealand photographer Yvonne Todd dramatizes the artifice of the commercial ideal by appropriating the aesthetic conventions of advertising and product photography. Her studio portraits of heavily made-up young women — with their wigs, staged poses and gaudy dated costumes — are character studies of amplified and embellished femininity. The impassive vacant stares of the women in these shots betray the fragility that hides behind their highly stylized appearance.

In ‘Self portrait as Christina Onassis’, the vacant stare belongs to the artist herself. Todd is in character, disguised as Jackie Onassis’ stepdaughter Christina. Borrowing this identity, Todd inserts herself into the wealthy heiress’ personal tragedies. Addicted to amphetamines and struggling with body image, Christina Onassis died of a heart attack when she was 37.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237September 18, 2017 10:43 AM

I'm convinced Stavros Niarchos had an affair with the young Princess Sophia of Greece prior to her marriage to Prince Juan Carlos of Spain. He gave her an extraordinary set of rubies, probably priceless. She still wears them.

by Anonymousreply 238September 18, 2017 11:27 AM

These rubies, R238?

Jeez, who wouldn't fuck a man who gives presents like that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239September 18, 2017 4:33 PM

Ari underestimated Jackie. He bought himself a trophy wife and expected her to be a fashion maven, a wife who would allow him entree' into the upper echelons of society, yet be almost child like in terms of her obedience. He was the head of the household, the boss, the authority figure. What he said goes. It was the way he ran his businesses, and the way he ran his family. In exchange he would indulge her. As long as she never humiliated him or made him feel she was better than him. There are a lot of vacant women out here who'd be perfect candidates for such an arrangement. Look at our First Lady, Melania. Ari wanted his own Melania...absent the porn background.

by Anonymousreply 240September 18, 2017 7:43 PM

You know there are some women in this world who accept the authority figures who beat them and discipline them as part of their cultural background. Tina and Eugenie Livanos had a father who was probably like Ari and Stavros. And there is always that lie that a man will tell insisting that he would never do that to you. You were different. The other one deserved to be beaten because she was stubborn and disrespectful. But you were different.

by Anonymousreply 241September 18, 2017 7:46 PM

Ari was pure ego and though a fabulous host and incredibly charming man he was a very cruel fucker. He got everything he deserved at the end. Even Monaco which he helped enormously to make flourish kicked him to the curb.

by Anonymousreply 242September 18, 2017 9:01 PM

I have read several dozen books on the Kennedys. A good one is "The dark side of Camelot". Onassis was said to enjoy relations (or was paid) with Turks as a teenager in Smyrna. A darker story is that he paid $$$ to Palestinians NOT to hijack his airplanes, this funded RFK's assassination. Ari would schtup Jackie on the deck of his yacht in front of crewmen. Personally, I feel she was a golddigger, but hey, JFK, his brothers and father, and a couple of sisters (So the books say) were whores.

by Anonymousreply 243September 18, 2017 9:14 PM

[QUOTE] and a couple of sisters (So the books say) were whores

Untrue!!!!

by Anonymousreply 244September 18, 2017 9:22 PM

Rosie, as the family called her, had jet black hair to the end, and kept her pretty looks. She was large, the nuns at St. Colletta's rewarded her with chocolate for good behavior.

by Anonymousreply 245September 18, 2017 9:35 PM

I'd love to hear horsey hypocrite Caroline be frank in an interview and publicly decry what her grandfather did to her aunt, and how her grandmother basically swept the whole thing under the carpet.

by Anonymousreply 246September 18, 2017 9:55 PM

That 'Dark Side of Camelot' book is an absolute whopper.

Enormously entertaining and a lot of truly filthy stuff. Catnip for us DLers. Makes Full Service look like Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.

by Anonymousreply 247September 18, 2017 10:21 PM

Her snatch was always for sale.

by Anonymousreply 248September 18, 2017 10:27 PM

None of the original Kennedy sisters were "whores", they were raised to believe that sexual freedom was for men only. The wildest any of them got was Kathleen defying her family to marry a (gadp) Protestant!!

Although I've always wondered that if Eunice had been born in a different era, she'd have been an out and proud lesbian. Of course she got married and had a bunch of kids, and I've never heard of her getting involved with a woman. But then with her background, she wouldn't have felt free tocome out, even to herself. we

by Anonymousreply 249September 18, 2017 10:29 PM

Jackie was a Kennedy and they could do whatever they fucking well pleased.

Nothing could stop them except when karma saw them and said 'Buffet!!'

by Anonymousreply 250September 18, 2017 10:34 PM

It shoulda been me!

by Anonymousreply 251September 18, 2017 10:36 PM

R249. not according to secret service agents, who were chased by one of the "Nasty asses".

by Anonymousreply 252September 18, 2017 10:46 PM

R53 no, fuck YOU! I got a Best Actress nomination!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253September 19, 2017 5:08 AM

IMO, it was the height of arrogance for Aronofsky and Portman to make that craptastic piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 254September 19, 2017 5:17 AM

R254 how do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 255September 19, 2017 5:24 AM

It's not the 1960's anymore. Nobody gives a shit about this Jackie bitch. She's obvi trash and ON ASSISTANCE I might add!!

by Anonymousreply 256September 19, 2017 5:24 AM

Portman was quite terrible in that "Jackie" movie, terribly stiff. Not stiff like a reserved upper-class woman maintaining her ladylike poise, but stuff like an actress who's concentrating so hard on getting the voice right that she can't move!

It's amazing what pretentious crap can pull an Oscar nomination these days.

by Anonymousreply 257September 19, 2017 6:37 AM

"You never dated Joe Kennedy, what a whopper!"

by Anonymousreply 258September 19, 2017 11:30 AM

I agree with R 257. All Portman did was get the wardrobe, work way to hard to mimic the voice, and then just wander around. I found the scenes of her conversing with Billy Crudup completely implausible. Aronofsky gave her a haughty, sort of private finishing school viciousness that was completely incompatible with the situation in which she found herself.

I'd be quicker to believe she was enlisting his "help" and trying to make him an ally. Her presentation would have been, more likely, as the grieving widow, inviting a certain intimacy, making him feel very special and...very self conscious about intruding. Jackie would have come across as vulnerable, not "I'm powerful and I'll ruin you" Billy Crudup's character was really Theodore White in real life, and he was very deferential.

I know. We don't know how the conversation went, but Jackie was very shrewd and I doubt it went as it was portrayed. In the end, after I watched it, I concluded that the filmmakers had a very superficial understanding of Jackie as a person, and robbed her of any humanity. They missed an opportunity to make her more accessible, at a time in her life when she was probably more open to it, than she ever would be again.

by Anonymousreply 259September 19, 2017 12:20 PM

r259 -- it was the sheenies rubbing their dicks all over an American Icon

by Anonymousreply 260September 19, 2017 2:51 PM

But she had such grace

by Anonymousreply 261September 19, 2017 4:01 PM

Aronofsky didn't direct nor write JACKIE. He merely produced it. Pablo Larrain directed, and Noah Oppenheimer wrote it.

by Anonymousreply 262September 19, 2017 5:07 PM

[quote] Ari would schtup Jackie on the deck of his yacht in front of crewmen.

That

Never

Happened

It's an EST in book form

by Anonymousreply 263September 19, 2017 5:15 PM

R263 were you there?

by Anonymousreply 264September 19, 2017 5:33 PM

I've read it was a control thing, he owned her and let her know. I believe those yacht stories.

by Anonymousreply 265September 19, 2017 11:06 PM

The only thing I ever read was that they were taking a moonlight stroll around his yacht and he pulled her into one of the lifeboats, which was covered with Tarp. They were under the tarp. but it was noisy and it was obvious to a couple of crew members that they were fucking. Now maybe it happened or maybe it didn't. But she married him. So unless part of their pre-nuptual agreement was that she didn't have to have sex with him, She probably fucked him in the early days.

by Anonymousreply 266September 20, 2017 1:51 PM

She was the Wendi Deng of her era.

by Anonymousreply 267September 20, 2017 5:31 PM

The Jackie film is unwatchable. The Kennedy scandal books are mostly based on bullshit. JFK didn't have enough hours in the day to be fucking as much as been claimed. No one denies he had affairs. Jackie wanted financial security and some distance from the Kennedy family. Her alliances were with Joe and Bobby--with Joe ga-ga and Bobby dead, she no longer had allies. She could have found someone better looking but not someone as wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 268September 23, 2017 2:09 PM

JFK on how much he supposedly fucked: "No, I don't have the strength."

by Anonymousreply 269September 23, 2017 3:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270September 23, 2017 3:40 PM

She didn't actually have that many options when it came to finding a second husband. She was world-famous and fairly good-looking, but by her second marriage she was pushing forty and had two kids, and few men of means would have wanted a middle-aged woman who came with the Kennedy legacy or the Kennedys themselves. And she didn't have money of her own, most of Jack's fortune went in trust for the kids, if I'm not mistaken she got a generous living allowance with which to raise the little heirs, but no real "security".

Frankly, I suspect a big part of the reason she married Onassis is that he was the one who asked.

by Anonymousreply 271September 23, 2017 3:55 PM

I remember Quentin Crisp writing that she threw away a life-time role as Grieving Widow by marrying for money, but I really think that was her intention. The American public would never have accepted her dating again: she was expected to behave like Queen Victoria, and spend the rest of her life in perpetual mourning. Of course, she would never have married a man who wasn't rich. But she and Lee were already familiar with Onassis back when she was still the First Lady.

I remember hearing that Onassis complained bitterly about how much she spent on clothes, when he never saw her wear anything but jeans. I don't think he would have minded the expense if she had played the part of the standard trophy wife, wearing haute couture that reflects on the stature of her husband.

by Anonymousreply 272September 23, 2017 7:11 PM

"She was world-famous and fairly good-looking, but by her second marriage she was pushing forty and had two kids, and few men of means would have wanted a middle-aged woman who came with the Kennedy legacy or the Kennedys themselves."

Oh, come on. Plenty of men would have been interested in her. She was JACKIE KENNEDY, for God's sake. The reason Onassis married her was because she was the ultimate trophy wife. See what I got! I got Jackie Kennedy, widow of JFK! He thought he'd really pulled off something momentous, but in the last years of their marriage he realized that all she cared about was money and that marrying her was a big mistake. He died before he could get around to divorcing her.

by Anonymousreply 273September 23, 2017 8:48 PM

Onassis had hired Roy Cohn to begin the divorce but he died before he could go through with it.

by Anonymousreply 274September 24, 2017 5:42 AM

There would have been a very nasty divorce, His death spared Jackie an extremely nasty fight. She always would have the American public and press on her side which would have p'ed Onassis off no end

by Anonymousreply 275September 24, 2017 8:43 PM

This is an educational thread needing a bump because the same damn question was just asked.

by Anonymousreply 276December 29, 2017 3:41 PM

He looked like he didn’t bathe and probably had bad breath from all that ouzo and garlicky Greek food. Slathered himself in fancy cologne to hide the funk!!

by Anonymousreply 277December 29, 2017 3:55 PM

Onassis was charismatic looking. I would not call him ugly (Trump is ugly).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278December 29, 2017 5:14 PM

No child at r278. He was ugly. But I’m sure he was more fun to be with than Donald.

by Anonymousreply 279January 4, 2018 7:41 PM

Years ago, a witty DL queen made a hilarious joke which I've never forgotten.

How do you know when Jackie Onassis orgasmed? She dropped her nail file.

by Anonymousreply 280January 4, 2018 7:52 PM

R271 she was left security from JFK, just not the kind she wanted. Yes, she was a gold digger. In Onassis funeral procession, Teddy boy brought up to Christina how much would Jackie get. Christina had the car stopped, got out and got in a different car. Talk about low class, no class thats the Kennedys.

by Anonymousreply 281January 4, 2018 7:56 PM

It was all about the Benjamin's baby. What else? She wanted financial security for herself and her children. She got it.

by Anonymousreply 282March 30, 2018 3:51 PM

There were many benefits to being married to Onasiss. And Jackie took full advantage and benefited tremendously.

by Anonymousreply 283March 30, 2018 6:39 PM

The reason JBKO bought all those clothes was not to wear them, but to immediately turn around and sell them via consignment stores and collect the cash.

He gave her credit, but she wanted cash.

by Anonymousreply 284March 30, 2018 6:56 PM

R284 She was smart to do that.

by Anonymousreply 285March 30, 2018 10:19 PM

There was a Jackie Susann book that answered this question

by Anonymousreply 286March 30, 2018 10:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!