Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Townhouse Bar: Upscale Gay Bar in NYC

What's the story? Is this just a place for the well-to-do NYC ElderGays? If you're under 28 and stumble in there you automatically feel like a Hooker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373May 16, 2020 12:56 AM

Love it. Enjoy the piano lounge. Mentioned going there to my mother who looked it up and ever after she referred it as a wrinkle bar. "Are you singing at the wrinkle bar Thursday night?"

by Anonymousreply 1August 20, 2017 3:26 AM

Here is a list of items that may inhibit your entrance to the club:

• Hats or baseball caps • Gym or workout gear • Sleeveless shirts or tank tops • Ripped or torn clothing • Oversized jeans or t-shirts • Head bandanas or do-rags • Cut off shorts • Lycra spandex

I wish every place was like this

by Anonymousreply 2August 20, 2017 3:28 AM

It looks like my dream bar/lounge.

If I were a man living in NYC, this would be my second home.

by Anonymousreply 3August 20, 2017 3:38 AM

I'm 43, have been here twice, and felt totally out of place. I'm not an old guy and I'm not a young gigolo.

by Anonymousreply 4August 20, 2017 3:38 AM

It's a place where you can actually, you know, have a conversation.

by Anonymousreply 5August 20, 2017 4:05 AM

Nyc lifer here. Run, don't walk, far away. I am 45 years old, thus certainly the right age for the townhouse. aaaaarrrrgggghhhhhhhh. Or as they say on DL, "kill it with fire". Preferably a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 6August 20, 2017 4:10 AM

R6, have you in fact ever been there?

Are ties required? I don't do ties.

by Anonymousreply 7August 20, 2017 4:21 AM

It has a reputation of being a hustler bar, but I've never seen anyone in there under 50. A real hustler would make a killing, I should think.

by Anonymousreply 8August 20, 2017 4:27 AM

Can be fun.

Ties not required R7 but you'll see a lot of them after work.

A few years ago I met a beautiful dark Irish man with one of the biggest penises I have ever seen, sucked on, ridden. For that alone TTH will always hold a special place in my man-cunt.

by Anonymousreply 9August 20, 2017 4:29 AM

I hope you aren't speaking literally.

by Anonymousreply 10August 20, 2017 4:29 AM

If you like serial killers, you have a blast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 20, 2017 4:30 AM

Lots of men under fifty. I'm under fifty and have been going for years. Sure some boys there are working but they dont bother you unless that's what your looking for. Mostly nice, normal sane men who actually hold down jobs. Some of the guys who sing are very good.

by Anonymousreply 12August 20, 2017 4:35 AM

Love when Rick is playing

by Anonymousreply 13August 20, 2017 4:38 AM

There's some cute blonde kid who sings there sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 14August 20, 2017 4:44 AM

R11 so it's campy? Serial Killers from the 90s, Lounge Acts, Hustlers, Bronze-Age Gays, how Chic...

by Anonymousreply 15August 20, 2017 5:37 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 20, 2017 5:40 AM

I went there once on a trip to NYC. I had a pretty good time watching the old queens around the piano, along with the ANCIENT fag hag who really thought she was a "Broadway Baby"...there were definitely some "working boys" there the night I went. The decor and lighting of the piano bar area reminded me of a funeral home.

Overall, I wouldn't mind going again, I guess, but have never been compelled to go on any of my trips to NYC since then.

by Anonymousreply 17August 20, 2017 5:49 AM

Here all I have to do is smile and somebody buys me a drink. At most other bars I'm the old guy.

by Anonymousreply 18August 21, 2017 3:27 AM

It's the gold in your teeth, toots.

by Anonymousreply 19August 21, 2017 3:31 AM

friendly crowd. low key, civilized, lads are welcomed, but not fawned over,

by Anonymousreply 20August 21, 2017 3:41 AM

My favorite bar in the whole wide world! And even though I have had traveled extensively, i have never found a place like this anywhere. Almost like a second home. It is not a place for a hookups, especially if you are into young guys. I have always preferred the more mature, more sophisticated crowd.

by Anonymousreply 21August 21, 2017 3:50 AM

In the 1990s, it wasn't a hooker bar. The hooker bar was Rounds, down the street a few blocks.

In the 90s, The Townhouse was full of old, oooooold men. I went in there one Friday night, and there wasn't a man under 95. I could smell the Ben Gay and hear their dentures grinding. Maybe I should have stuck around and found an old sugar daddy, but I could never get past the "Larry King crypt keeper" look.

by Anonymousreply 22August 21, 2017 3:54 AM

Am I hallucinating, or is the Townhouse an upscale hustler bar?

I remember seeing acres of older gentlemen and the 20 yo twinkies who love them.

by Anonymousreply 23August 21, 2017 3:55 AM

[quote]A few years ago I met a beautiful dark Irish man with one of the biggest penises I have ever seen

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah, oh that's a good one. I'm laughing so hard, I'm weeping. An Irish man with a big penis. Oh, sweet Mary, Jesus and Joseph, that's funny.

An Irish man, with a big penis. Oh my God, that joke just made my weekend.

by Anonymousreply 24August 21, 2017 3:59 AM

[quote]An Irish man, with a big penis. Oh my God, that joke just made my weekend.

Keep that sense of humor, son.

by Anonymousreply 25August 21, 2017 4:20 AM

my friends and I have been frequenting this place since we were in college and we're in our 30's now. It's laid-back and unpretentious. Being in the piano lounge with the elder gays is fun, they sing, have a good time and it makes me wonder why young gays can't be more friendly to each other instead of standing around a club being bitchy. I've been invited home by older men here regularly but never with the mention of money being involved but I have the thought that if you come to this bar alone and you're a young man..you're looking for a Daddy.

by Anonymousreply 26August 21, 2017 4:22 AM

[quote]—Liam "10 inches" Neeson

Rumor until proven guilty.

by Anonymousreply 27August 21, 2017 4:23 AM

If you're say, 25, don't go in wearing one of these. Subtlety is key.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 21, 2017 4:29 AM

I haven't been there in years. It's like a funeral parlor. With a piano. Lots of money, lots of ascots. Older white men who have good jobs or are just rich and missing Rounds. I can't imagine any guy under 35 going there unless they are hooking. You can smell money as you walk through the front door.

by Anonymousreply 29August 21, 2017 4:31 AM

Looking at the bio for pianist Michael Ferreri.

[quote]Michael has appeared in concert with such celebrated performers as Michael Feinstein, Andrea McArdle and Greg Edelman, to name a few. He has also been given the unique honor of performing for HRH Prince Philip (where was Liz?)

And now he's headlining at the last stop before Gay Croaksville

by Anonymousreply 30August 21, 2017 4:34 AM

R24, maybe Colin Farrell, in his sex tape, is the exception that proves the rule ( whatever that means).

R28, thanks!

by Anonymousreply 31August 21, 2017 4:37 AM

I will never forget the image of Liam Neeson in some movie naked running with his big johnson flopping about. The scene was at night but you could see it was huge when soft.

by Anonymousreply 32August 21, 2017 4:43 AM

Well, what's the TITLE!

by Anonymousreply 33August 21, 2017 4:45 AM

[quote]Well, what's the TITLE!

The title is "R32's Wet Dream." You can find it on xtube.

by Anonymousreply 34August 21, 2017 4:48 AM

I had a nice time there when I went to visit a friend I had gone to art school with. We settled into the short arm of the bar at the back, and after a while a tall man with silvered dark hair, suit and waistcoat, came in and sat next to us. He started talking to my friend Paul and, as the saying goes, a purse fell out of his mouth. When he found out Paul was an artist he told him about this art foundation he ran in Italy. I stayed out of the conversation mostly, just enjoyed the environment as their conversation seemed to take over the bar. I still have the guy's card around the house somewhere. That was the same visit when I met Caleb Carr at a wedding party at a large house in the village. It was one of my best visits anywhere, but I don't travel much.

by Anonymousreply 35August 21, 2017 5:01 AM

The last time I was there, I saw a man who was no less than 80 years old hitting on a twink bartender that looked like he was barely 21. The hustlers that work these bars deserve to be paid big money for what they have to go through. I could just picture some young dumb twink asking an older client he met at the Townhouse Bar, "What's in that bag on your side?" His response, "Well, that will have to be a surprise for later young man!"

by Anonymousreply 36August 21, 2017 5:08 AM

What is all the insane anger against gay men over 50!?????

by Anonymousreply 37August 21, 2017 5:11 AM

It is everywhere [37] ... I just don't know who to blame, the ignorant, arrogant under 50, or the age discriminating over 50, who will not date anyone their own age. I'm 54 - not overweight, well educated and cultured, and not too bad looking either - but have given up any hopes of seeing anyone my own age as most of them are just chasing after younger guys. Well, screw them! Got a cat, started playing guitar and learning French to fill the void. Happy as can be, but there is a bit of bitterness underneath toward my own kind.

by Anonymousreply 38August 21, 2017 5:32 AM

[quote]or the age discriminating over 50, who will not date anyone their own age.

That's just men in general. How many straight men have you seen with a much younger woman? It's so prevalent, it's cliche.

by Anonymousreply 39August 21, 2017 5:35 AM

Many [39] ... but none of them was gay, unfortunately. It's not a cliche, it is a reality ... just step outside the yellow brick road for a moment and open your eyes.

by Anonymousreply 40August 21, 2017 5:40 AM

Correction for the above: Not as many [39] ...

by Anonymousreply 41August 21, 2017 5:43 AM

liam talked about his penis on andy cohen's show one time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 21, 2017 5:57 AM

R42, thanks for the link, that's the image I was referring to, DL was the place I first saw this, years ago.

I don't remember which talk show it was ( i think it was Leno?), Liam said William Defoe and himself have the biggest cocks in hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 43August 21, 2017 6:06 AM

Danna Delaney, who did a nude scene with Dafoe, was often heard saying that Neeson and Willem were the biggest in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 44August 21, 2017 6:10 AM

R43, But sadly, two of the ugliest faces in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 45August 21, 2017 6:10 AM

Good for you, R38.

And thanks for torpedoing my foul-ass mood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 21, 2017 6:11 AM

Adorable

Liam s cock in that gif is not spectacular, especially if he's a shower, not a grower

by Anonymousreply 47August 22, 2017 1:24 AM

Is Liam the kitty?

by Anonymousreply 48August 22, 2017 2:46 AM

An Irish man, with a big penis. Oh my God, that joke just made my weekend.

lol, you really need to get out more pops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 22, 2017 6:23 AM

Older men can be so generous.

by Anonymousreply 50August 24, 2017 3:39 PM

[quote]A few years ago I met a beautiful dark Irish man with one of the biggest penises I have ever seen, sucked on, ridden. For that alone TTH will always hold a special place in my man-cunt.

Sounds hot, how much did it cost you?

by Anonymousreply 51August 24, 2017 3:50 PM

I'm genuinely glad for the people who have a good time here, but I've never really enjoyed it.

The last time I went no one talked to me. I'm in my mid 30s with an average body. I figured I confused people since I was clearly not a hooker or rich enough to pay.

I thought it was interesting people watching though. There were the 20 something hustlers but also 40/50 something hustlers acting like twinks with the geriatric crowd. I guess it's the last stop on the line of hustling.

It reminded me a lot of this country club on Long Island my social climbing uncle used to make us go to. Not really all that fancy but pretending to be.

by Anonymousreply 52August 24, 2017 3:53 PM

I go there to feel young.

by Anonymousreply 53August 24, 2017 4:06 PM

by Anonymousreply 54August 24, 2017 4:17 PM

by Anonymousreply 55August 24, 2017 4:18 PM

It's wonderful that there is a funeral parlor/speakeasy still in operation!

by Anonymousreply 56August 24, 2017 6:15 PM

I just turned 45. Should I start going?

by Anonymousreply 57August 24, 2017 6:36 PM

Strongest drinks in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 58August 24, 2017 6:39 PM

longest caftans north of the Pecos

by Anonymousreply 59August 24, 2017 6:47 PM

Is there still a lower level/basement bar? I've had some fun conversations with the gents there. I haven't been to TH in at least 10 years. Is there still a gay bar across the street? It was once called Oscar Wilde and then OW Bar.

Rounds has been gone for nearly 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 60August 24, 2017 6:48 PM

R49, nothing wrong with that one, except that it's attached to a lousy actor.

by Anonymousreply 61August 24, 2017 6:52 PM

R52, i had a similar experience. I'm 60, but I look 30, so the hustlers thoight I was competition, and the old farts, in which category I put myself, thought I was trade. It made for an undatisfactory evening.

The next time, I "aged" myself in advance. Accentuated the nasolabial folds and forehead wrinkles with eyebrow pencil, dusted a bit of talcum powder through my luxuriant locks, and the took down the tooth whiteness a few shades by rubbing on a mixture of turmeric paste. Worked wonders.

by Anonymousreply 62August 24, 2017 7:06 PM

honey, you need to not start drinking so early in the day, your spelling is ATROCIOUS

by Anonymousreply 63August 24, 2017 7:27 PM

[quote] Strongest drinks in NYC.

My experience was that the drinks were pricey AND not strong but that the glass was nice.

I prefer 9th Avenue Saloon though so what do I know.

by Anonymousreply 64August 24, 2017 7:31 PM

It should be clarified that the problem is not that the clientele is over 50. The problem is that the clientele is over 50 with matching ascots and pocket squares, pug dogs, tassel loafers, and too much cologne. The bar is right across from the D&D Center. (That is not as interesting as it sounds. D&D stands for the Design and Decoration Center. ) It is also near Bloomingdales. The clientele tends to be older Inferior Desecrators and even older Shop Bottoms from Bloomies. You also get some antique dealers who have not yet been priced out of the area.

by Anonymousreply 65August 24, 2017 7:41 PM

[quote] The problem is that the clientele is over 50 with matching ascots and pocket squares, pug dogs, tassel loafers, and too much cologne.

Holy shit, this is spot on.

by Anonymousreply 66August 24, 2017 8:22 PM

Actually, the fact that they refer to their cocktails as "sublime" tells you all you need to know.

by Anonymousreply 67August 24, 2017 8:28 PM

Saloon is down and out, but more friendly than those whore-roddiled bars in Hell's kitchenette

by Anonymousreply 68August 24, 2017 8:41 PM

Holy Shit!

by Anonymousreply 69August 24, 2017 8:57 PM

I'm 48 and have known about the Townhouse for years. But now that I'm "of age" it suddenly sounds like a great place to visit. I wonder what kind of bar snacks they offer.

by Anonymousreply 70August 24, 2017 9:36 PM

I just turned 45. Should I start going?

—Anonymous

oh yes dear, we'll be waiting for you.

by Anonymousreply 71August 25, 2017 3:44 AM

R70 Spicy Peanuts and mini crackers in silver serving dishes, for real

by Anonymousreply 72August 25, 2017 3:51 AM

I went a few months ago. They now have some go-go boys downstairs on Friday and Saturday night who offer lap dances. Some folks upstairs don't like that management is trying to turn a gent's bar into something else.

by Anonymousreply 73August 25, 2017 3:52 AM

R73 well they need to make money and any remnants of class is on its way or already out the door in America

by Anonymousreply 74August 25, 2017 3:56 AM

Never been but every description I've heard (including the very funny one from R65) made it sound like a real life version of DL, where a bunch of eldergays in ascots constantly judge each other for signs of being less than high class, even though the lot of them were born in working class families in Flyoverstani small towns.

by Anonymousreply 75August 25, 2017 4:03 AM

I still say that it sounds like a place I would hang out in if I were an older gay man in NYC.

These sort of places are disappearing quick, and it's sad to me, I think a sophisticated lounge where people dress well, even if it is ascots and pocket squares, sounds very appealing. I will bet good money that the conversation is witty and I love a piano bar.

by Anonymousreply 76August 25, 2017 4:57 AM

D & D building is on 3rd AV. Not across the street. There used to be a restaurant a few doors west. Not sure if it still exists. The East 50's has been a gay older white male enclave for many years. It's gentile. Lots of high end antique stores on the block. Close to Bloomingdales .

by Anonymousreply 77August 25, 2017 5:16 AM

I am visualizing what R75 said. That would be enough to make me run far from the place.

by Anonymousreply 78August 25, 2017 5:44 AM

Townhouse should of been the DL Happy Hour Locale.

by Anonymousreply 79August 25, 2017 5:48 AM

It looks like those lounge restaurants that were in sitcoms in the late 70s and 80s. It looks like somewhere George Jefferson would go.

by Anonymousreply 80August 25, 2017 5:54 AM

R70 this is one of the bar snacks presented in very tasteful silver bowls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 25, 2017 6:07 AM

George Jefferson was on the downlow, R80?

by Anonymousreply 82August 25, 2017 6:13 AM

R77, the D&D building is across the street. The main entrance is on 3rd Ave, but the building is across the street. If you cannot understand that concept, I certainly hope you are not a designer.

The original restaurant closed many years ago. It was basically another version of the Frown House. They tried an updated version. I can't remember is it was in the original location of a few doors down. (I think the original location became part of a tile showroom.) The new version seemed to feature swivel hipped waiters and not much else to recommend it. It closed as well.

by Anonymousreply 83August 25, 2017 12:01 PM

IT'S FRIDAY!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 84August 25, 2017 3:37 PM

I'm in my early 40s in NYC and I guess am the right age for this now.

The place always had a reputation for being sad, and now here I am, at the sad age.

I plan on committing suicide in the next year, so I won't have to face old age, isolation and invisibility.

by Anonymousreply 85August 25, 2017 4:28 PM

I love that at 47 I still feel young and desirable there haha.

But seriously it's a very pleasant place, it's a comfortable space with flattering lighting and no major attitudes from people. The regular customers seem very happy in each other's company. Not every place has to be Hell's Kitchen, you know. I respect these older guys because they're the guys who were hot in the 60s and 70s and survived it. They know that looks and youth are temporary.

by Anonymousreply 86August 25, 2017 4:49 PM

I'm 48 and I LOVE going there

by Anonymousreply 87August 25, 2017 5:50 PM

r22 It was an upscale 'Hooker' bar though. My friends thought they turn me out and I could earn extra money while I worked a real job during the day. I found out after one night that life wasn't for me. Loved the bar though.

by Anonymousreply 88August 25, 2017 5:53 PM

one time I went and a guy next to me got slapped at the bar

by Anonymousreply 89August 25, 2017 6:02 PM

r65, forgot to mention the corner of the room where the men sit there and shift their dentures.

by Anonymousreply 90August 25, 2017 6:02 PM

Why there is so much hate toward the elderly gay men here? Do you really think you will never be one? Well, that’s OK ... just as long as you don’t expect any flowers on your early grave from me. I’m 54 now and have been going on and off to the Townhouse Bar for over 25 years. Had many interesting conversations there, made some wonderful friends as well. A great laidback place to enjoy company of men, who do not act like the ultimate God’s gift to humanity. The bartenders are attitude free, very friendly and some quite funny (especially Eli, whose stories of Aretha, Tallulah and Bette are simply priceless). Rick is without a shadow of a doubt, the greatest piano player /entertainer I have ever seen. Many years ago, at the height of the “Les Mis” fever, he did a Carpenters’ take on “Bring Him Home”, which I will not forget till my final resting moment. And last, but not least, on Saturday nights, there is an elderly gentleman standing at the piano and singing a few old-fashioned tunes. Every time I see Eddie, I think of the many years he has lived as a gay man and how difficult it must have been in these times for men like him. A kind old man, that I look with an awe and respect. But I don’t think many of you ageist trolls here will understand that ... certainly not before dropping that delusional sense of self-adulation.

by Anonymousreply 91August 25, 2017 6:30 PM

Slapped at the bar? Was Alexis Colby visiting? Did he get a drink tossed in his face for good measure?

by Anonymousreply 92August 25, 2017 6:31 PM

I love the drama

by Anonymousreply 93August 25, 2017 6:32 PM

[quote] Why there is so much hate toward the elderly gay men here? Do you really think you will never be one?

R91, I am 58.

Kisses,

R65

by Anonymousreply 94August 25, 2017 6:44 PM

I've only been one time a few years ago. It was a very nice atmosphere, flattering lighting as everyone mentions, and very strong drinks. It's like a fussy little country club or an Episcopalian funeral parlor, everyone dressed up a little and chugging drinks. Tassel loafers and blazers as far as the eye could see, myself included.

I had just turned 34 and was one of the youngest guys there by a long way. A few well dressed fossils bought me drinks, and I was very pleased with the whole experience. I love daddies and old men, but ended up taking an overdressed preppy guy my age back to hotel for some excellent rough sex.

by Anonymousreply 95August 25, 2017 6:59 PM

For everyone mocking eldergays, where do you expect them to go out? Would you prefer them at thumping HK bars?

by Anonymousreply 96August 25, 2017 7:02 PM

POSH just aint posh enuff

by Anonymousreply 97August 25, 2017 8:31 PM

R36, a colostomy bag. SURPRSE!

by Anonymousreply 98August 25, 2017 10:03 PM

REBELS, are we

by Anonymousreply 99August 26, 2017 2:57 AM

R85, you're a BABY!

by Anonymousreply 100August 26, 2017 3:01 AM

little 40 year old twinks are fun to play with

by Anonymousreply 101August 26, 2017 3:08 AM

That's a good song, R99.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102August 26, 2017 3:58 AM

R101 What about 49 year old twins?

by Anonymousreply 103August 26, 2017 8:03 PM

"Tassel loafers" is everything you need to know about this place.

No surprise that numerous DLers hang out there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 26, 2017 8:07 PM

The website layout looks like it was designed in 1999 and hasn't been updated since.

by Anonymousreply 105August 26, 2017 8:08 PM

"Tassel loafers" is everything you need to know about this place.

only after Labor Day, dearie, right now it's espadrilles

by Anonymousreply 106August 26, 2017 8:10 PM

Men who call other men "dearie" is the other thing you'd need to know about the place.

by Anonymousreply 107August 26, 2017 8:13 PM

I like going to the townhouse when Im in New York because the guys there have stories and wisdom that they are willing to share. That type of dialougue matters.

by Anonymousreply 108August 26, 2017 8:16 PM

Tim Gunn used to go there, but was supposedly very rude to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 109August 26, 2017 8:41 PM

I really pity you guys for never having the experience of Fedora's. It made the Frown House look like the youngest, hipest, place in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 110August 26, 2017 9:09 PM

I met an ancient queen who worked on the puppets on "The Sound of Music" movie. He was enchanting, like from another time. He was fascinating to talk to.

by Anonymousreply 111August 26, 2017 9:21 PM

R111, I know that person ;)

by Anonymousreply 112August 26, 2017 9:24 PM

what a small world after all!

by Anonymousreply 113August 27, 2017 1:09 PM

R91 I am HERE for the elder gays. They are the heart and soul of Data Lounge, and I suspect 90% of the bitter lemon, whip smart wit is a product of their savvy brains.

by Anonymousreply 114August 27, 2017 1:40 PM

Do Andy Cohen or Anderson Cooper or Alan Cummings or Thomas Roberts go there?

by Anonymousreply 115August 27, 2017 1:49 PM

No, but HRH Prince Dimitri of Yugoslavia has been there in the past.

by Anonymousreply 116August 27, 2017 1:57 PM

Sounds like a great place.

by Anonymousreply 117August 27, 2017 2:04 PM

Actually And Cohen DOES pop in their from time to time. We go there around the holidays...the piano sing-a-longs get particularly epic that time of year. And we always see some level of celeb: Andy Cohen, Bryan Batt, etc.

by Anonymousreply 118August 27, 2017 2:04 PM

r111, he lied to you. Julie Andrews and the child actors worked the puppets. I saw the movie.

by Anonymousreply 119August 27, 2017 2:08 PM

I love the drama that ensues

by Anonymousreply 120August 27, 2017 2:13 PM

No he didn't say he actually performed the puppets, he did some technical thing or took care of them or something else. Maybe he dressed them :-)

Btw, he wore copious eyeliner. He was sort of Boys In The Band kind of figure. I just recently started going back to the TH after years absence, and I never see him now. I'll have to ask Rob my usual bartender what happened to him.

by Anonymousreply 121August 27, 2017 2:14 PM

This Prince R116?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 27, 2017 2:17 PM

Yes that's him. At one time he was voted NY's best dressed man. He does a line of jewelry now, I've corresponded with him via Instagram, he gets right back and will answer some of my obscure questions about his famous ancestors. His great grandmother was a Russian Grand Duchess. He's thoroughly royal on both sides of his family, and connected to nearly every royal House in Europe, with the exception of the princely Houses of Liechtenstein and Monaco. And even those he might have connections going back centuries.

Anyway, his price points were out of my budget so I couldn't buy anything from his collection. He lives nearby, I could wind up seeing him on the sidewalk one day, who knows.

by Anonymousreply 123August 27, 2017 2:25 PM

Upscale? Lol. A fun place when you take it for what it is- a real throwback that could only thrive in NYC in 2017.

by Anonymousreply 124August 27, 2017 2:28 PM

R91, I will never be one. I will kill myself the day I turn 50. Or even beter I will buy a farm and take care of it. Certainly I will not go to a bar, all dressed up with tacky clothes, pretend I am attractive and try to pick up men 30 years younger than I am.

by Anonymousreply 125August 27, 2017 2:38 PM

I will

by Anonymousreply 126August 27, 2017 2:53 PM

Actually I found a line connecting Prince Dimitri to the House of Grimaldi. The Grimaldis have a line of descent from the House of Baden, which has a line of descent from the Danish royal House. Dimitri's grandmother Princess Paul was born a princess of Greece and Denmark. It's a long long descent from a shared ancestor, but I think I'm right if the Wikipedia entries for all ancestors are correct.

by Anonymousreply 127August 27, 2017 2:55 PM

Wow, but that Prince looks spectacularly elegant.

by Anonymousreply 128August 27, 2017 3:02 PM

Does having a colonostomy bag eliminate the need for douching?

by Anonymousreply 129August 27, 2017 3:03 PM

I think so.

by Anonymousreply 130August 27, 2017 3:11 PM

[quote] Does having a colonostomy bag eliminate the need for douching?

Then this is working out well for all concerned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131August 27, 2017 3:33 PM

"On our way!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132August 27, 2017 3:44 PM

Is the bar frau free?

by Anonymousreply 133August 27, 2017 3:48 PM

yes

by Anonymousreply 134August 27, 2017 4:16 PM

No [125], you will not do neither - one takes courage, the other hard labor. You will most likely turn into an old grumpy queen, like all of the youth worshipers here. I’m fortunately not one of them ... and since turning 49, these are the best years of my life! Believe you me, I would never, ever want to be 25 again. At 54, I do look my age and I’m proud of every wrinkle on my face - these are the signs of wisdom I have acquired throughout my life. These days, I don’t go on the cock chase anymore just to prove my own appeal and don’t give a shit if others find me attractive or not. Use my time wisely, on hobbies and cultural activities. And every single day I ride a motorcycle, with an attached speaker, blasting the old good rock’n’roll that brings a lot of warm smiles from the passersby. One of them once screamed at me “Long live youth!”

by Anonymousreply 135August 27, 2017 4:24 PM

[quote]No he didn't say he actually performed the puppets, he did some technical thing or took care of them or something else. Maybe he dressed them :-)

So, he was a puppet wrangler? Okaaaaaaaaaay.

I went there when I was in my 20's not knowing that it was a hustler bar. They swarmed me the second I entered the place. I must have gotten 15 business cards that night. I ended up going on a date with a super wealthy interior designer who's regularly featured in Architectural Digest. He took me to the famous restaurant at the Four Seasons hotel. He took me on several trips that must have cost $50k in all.

by Anonymousreply 136August 27, 2017 4:27 PM

So it paid off nicely for you, R135.

by Anonymousreply 137August 27, 2017 5:17 PM

How often did you have to put out, R136?

by Anonymousreply 138August 27, 2017 5:46 PM

R135, I want to kill my self even more after I red your post. I guess having erectile dysfunction after age of 50 is an act of mercy. That way will no longer have the craving for what you can't get.

by Anonymousreply 139August 27, 2017 6:00 PM

Would this bar /establishment be a welcoming good place for gay tourists wanting to experience some nightlife?

by Anonymousreply 140August 27, 2017 6:01 PM

R136, did you you have to suck his dick, was his ass saggy. How did you cope with the smell of his arthritis creme?

by Anonymousreply 141August 27, 2017 6:04 PM

R136, are you a hustler?

by Anonymousreply 142August 27, 2017 6:04 PM

The line between hustler and not is very thin.

Sure you might not be directly paying for sex, but when you are throwing lots of money around to get a guy to sleep with you it is still essentially getting a rentboy, just by another name.

by Anonymousreply 143August 27, 2017 6:06 PM

[R135], I want to kill my self even more after I red your post. I guess having erectile dysfunction after age of 50 is an act of mercy. That way will no longer have the craving for what you can't get.

oh sonny so much for you to learn. ED means it doesn't get hard, it doesn't mean the craving goes away.

by Anonymousreply 144August 27, 2017 6:13 PM

Oh wow, it is even worse then, cravings without hard on. Blessed are those who can experience G-spot orgasm.

by Anonymousreply 145August 27, 2017 6:30 PM

Cravings without an erection is torture.

by Anonymousreply 146August 27, 2017 7:18 PM

worse for tops than for bottoms

by Anonymousreply 147August 27, 2017 7:19 PM

Exactly. I'm speaking from experience, damn my blood pressure pill.

by Anonymousreply 148August 27, 2017 7:22 PM

R139, you just need some adventure in your life! I hear that Iraq is lovely this time of year. Why not give it a try? Or Syria.

by Anonymousreply 149August 27, 2017 7:44 PM

R148, if that's the sole cause, aren't there other meds that don't have that side effect? Or maybe some cialis?

by Anonymousreply 150August 27, 2017 7:52 PM

My twenty something friend went to the graveyard as we call the Townhouse. He left covered in drool.

by Anonymousreply 151August 27, 2017 7:52 PM

This reminds me of the bar in Dublin, The George, where there is a smaller room on the first floor they call "Jurassic Park." I accidentally walked in there when I was in my late 20 and I think everyone was staring at me trying to figure out what I was doing there. It didn't seem like there were hookers in there. There's actually a bouncer who sort of stands in front of the door - but mostly to keep the two areas separate (and possibly to keep the Brazilian hookers out). Now that I am older, I like that section actually, but I am still "too young" for the core demographic in there. They're much more friendly & talkative than the rest of The George in there. Both bars used to be friendly, but then apps / smart phones came along and nobody will look at you except in the "eldergay" bar.

It's interesting to go because everyone knows everyone within 1 or 2 connections, within the whole city. So, people are on their best behavior - unlike the younger gays and their ability to block you on apps (their only method of communication). I like talking to people but don't really want to have sex with random people from bars these days - and in Ireland it's a little easier to do that because everyone is friendly and talkative without expectation. If you have a conversation with someone in an American bar for more than 15 min, it seems like they expect you'll go home with them or that you're sending "mixed signals" just because you're talking.

by Anonymousreply 152August 27, 2017 7:55 PM

R135 you are simply way beyond stupid. Nowhere, in my previous post I have indicated any sexual irregularities, and you may be projecting something that I hope stays strictly between you and your shrink. Learning proper grammar wouldn’t hurt either.

by Anonymousreply 153August 27, 2017 8:20 PM

I've heard the piano lounge of the TH referred to as "the embalming chamber" because the older patrons like to hang out there and listen to the piano player. Cruel.

by Anonymousreply 154August 27, 2017 8:24 PM

such simple pleasures

by Anonymousreply 155August 27, 2017 8:26 PM

Years ago, I was Midtown with a pal after a business attire event, and we stopped in out of curiosity, as we were both actually downtown East Village twinks. We both hooked up with a pair of suited handsome older gents (and went off separately). Mine worked for a Dem. senator in Albany. We had suit & tie semi-clothed sex years before the Men At Play trend. Fun!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156August 27, 2017 8:30 PM

you WHORES!!

by Anonymousreply 157August 27, 2017 8:35 PM

If you are a hot but poor guy looking for a wealthy benefactor, it is the perfect place to go.

by Anonymousreply 158August 27, 2017 8:37 PM

We didn't take money, but we each joked about that possibility later.

by Anonymousreply 159August 27, 2017 8:41 PM

[quote][R136], are you a hustler?

NO, I'm not, nor have I ever been a hustler. The guy in question was only 20 years older than me, which isn't a huge age difference in the gay world. He was handsome and in-shape. I wanted to have sex with him and we had a great sex life. I'm also into interior design and art, so I was immediately attracted to him.

Why does everyone assume that you're a hustler or a gold-digger if there's an age difference? It's so juvenile.

by Anonymousreply 160August 27, 2017 8:44 PM

[quote]Why does everyone assume that you're a hustler or a gold-digger if there's an age difference?

Says the person who immediately bragged about the nice dinners and expensive trips he took you on. But yes, there was nothing in the least gold-digging about it...

[quote]It's so juvenile.

Or realistic...

by Anonymousreply 161August 27, 2017 8:47 PM

or sympathetic

by Anonymousreply 162August 27, 2017 8:49 PM

I got it wrong, the prince who goes to the TH is related to the princely family of Monaco via Denmark as I said, but not via a Swedish connection. It's through a long connection through the Houses of Holstein-Gotturp, Hesse-Darmstadt, and finally House of Baden which is was Prince Rainier's grandfather's maternal line.

At any rate, fascinating stuff to me. I guess it's no wonder I'm a Townhouse patron, I'm into farty old royal history :-)

by Anonymousreply 163August 27, 2017 9:32 PM

Thanks for the correction R163, now....is the prince hung?

by Anonymousreply 164August 27, 2017 9:34 PM

R163, are you also into farty old royals?

by Anonymousreply 165August 27, 2017 9:39 PM

How many of these accomplished men are wearing fake Rolexes?

A LOT, I would guess.

by Anonymousreply 166August 27, 2017 9:56 PM

How many prissy crass materialistic queens would notice a fake Rolex?

ONE, we see.

by Anonymousreply 167August 27, 2017 10:13 PM

Just because The Townhouse doesn't have EDM blasting loudly from speakers all around the place, do not think this place is "upscale." It isn't. It's pretty much a dump, but it's decor ham handedly aspires to something vaguely British and aristocratic. 'Shall we to the hounds,' and all that. Puh-leeze. Iit is a poor man's idea of what that all would be.

it's just a bar., a bar that made a marketing choice to target guys in suits who want to able to talk to one another. Good luck finding other bars in NYC where you don't have to shout to be heard by the person next to you.

Bring back Regent East. It had the New York vibe that The Townhouse always aped and could never deliver.

by Anonymousreply 168August 27, 2017 10:20 PM

Wait a minute, there, R152...

A bar in Dublin with a doorman to keep out BRAZILIAN hookers?

Are there THAT many Brazilian hookers in Dublin to make it necessary to have a bouncer?

by Anonymousreply 169August 27, 2017 10:24 PM

As someone who's spent time in Dublin and who has Grindr, yes, there are quite a lot of Brazilian. It can be hard to tell the Latin American aesthetic from the hooker aesthetic, but my nosey ass did check on one of the hook up sites with an escort section, and there was more than a handful of said Brazilians with escort profiles.

by Anonymousreply 170August 27, 2017 10:28 PM

*BrazilianS

by Anonymousreply 171August 27, 2017 10:29 PM

are they there for waxing?

by Anonymousreply 172August 27, 2017 10:31 PM

i hope not. save the gingers!

by Anonymousreply 173August 27, 2017 10:32 PM

A Brazilian in Dublin sent me his xxx pics and they were professionally done, could've been from G magazine. We're peers so I don't think he was fishing for work, but I didn't pursue it.

by Anonymousreply 174August 27, 2017 10:33 PM

If I go to Dublin, I know what kind of hookers I want!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175August 27, 2017 10:33 PM

I think it's easier to get into Ireland to study English than the UK.

by Anonymousreply 176August 27, 2017 10:34 PM

R172, "are they,there for waxing?"

No, they thought they were going to Hireland.

by Anonymousreply 177August 27, 2017 10:36 PM

There is definitely a large Brazilian community in Dublin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178August 27, 2017 10:36 PM

Back in the late 80's, my friends and I in NJ would go into NYC. We'd start at The Monster for happy hour at the piano bar. Next, we went to Boots and Saddles which usually had a few really hot men. Then it was off to The Spike to see some really sleezy, sexy guys (we usually lost one or two of us there.) But I almost always held out til the end of the night for The Townhouse where there would usually be one or two really handsome, older guys, ( I was always into older guys) mixed in among the last call queens. I met some great men there. Went back with some friends two years ago with my husband and it was very disappointing. You can't go home again.

by Anonymousreply 179August 27, 2017 10:47 PM

At least it was nice for the old farts there, when they saw that you had not changed at all in 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 180August 27, 2017 10:54 PM

Brazilians go to "English language schools" in Ireland due to a former loophole in the visa laws that allowed them to work if they are considered students. Most of the schools were recently shut down because they were just fronts for Brazilians to get access to Ireland's job market and work there. Still, somehow 1/3 (it seems like) of the gay scene in Dublin is now Brazilian - when it was maybe 2% ten years ago.

The two cultures are oil and water. Brazilians are far more superficial, can't make conversation, have limited education / knowledge of world events, don't speak English well, have no sense of humor, and are often rude with no manners / politeness. Irish guys (on average) are the opposite of everything I just listed, except for many of the 20-somethings.

The "Jurassic Park" section of the George doesn't want to be overrun by people like this since they are there to talk to their friends, not be solicited. If they really wanted it, they can go online were the majority of the hookers in Dublin are Brazilian anyway.

by Anonymousreply 181August 27, 2017 11:27 PM

Makes sense

by Anonymousreply 182August 28, 2017 12:07 AM

many people come and go and never find out where they have been

by Anonymousreply 183August 28, 2017 12:42 AM

This thread has been quite educational!

by Anonymousreply 184August 28, 2017 12:47 AM

mentoring the young has always been our calling

by Anonymousreply 185August 28, 2017 1:06 AM

slapping faces only happens after ten PM

by Anonymousreply 186August 28, 2017 1:47 AM

Are women not permitted is accompanied by their gay gentlemen friends?

by Anonymousreply 187August 28, 2017 6:56 AM

Fellow old queens, I used to go to this bar everytime I went to NYC. Even in my late 20's. After the show.Fun times Listening to the showtunes at the bar. In my 30's, picked up a some age guy.Went back to my hotel. Turns out he was an amaphrodite( double the fun .) He started crying as I sent him packing. Have not thought Of that in years.

by Anonymousreply 188August 28, 2017 12:01 PM

Anyone see Charles Gross there with his wrinkle room no-sex sugar daddy?

by Anonymousreply 189August 28, 2017 1:35 PM

I saw him after the operation

by Anonymousreply 190August 28, 2017 2:05 PM

Some of my finest memories have been of being at the Townhouse with my escort, sipping a Side Car and listening to Merv Griffin on the Victrola.

by Anonymousreply 191August 28, 2017 3:53 PM

R187, please don't ask one of your gentlemen callers to take you there. Let the guys have their spaces. As an old lesbian, I remember the days when boys and girls had their separate spaces, and how grand that was. In the 1970s Castro District , the guys made it very plain that we were an unwelcome distraction...I stepped in only once. Leave the older men to enjoy their bar without the distraction of gawking frauen with little to contribute.

by Anonymousreply 192August 28, 2017 10:00 PM

I love men-only lounges

by Anonymousreply 193August 29, 2017 12:48 AM

bump for the cube dawgs

by Anonymousreply 194August 29, 2017 5:35 PM

merv griffen bump

by Anonymousreply 195August 30, 2017 12:36 AM

Bump for the most elegant wrinkle room in America!

by Anonymousreply 196August 30, 2017 4:05 AM

Here's my question about this kind of place. If you are in your 30s, can you just go in and talk to people or are they going to think you are looking for free drinks, a sugar daddy or sex? My friend goes in there, but I don't live in NYC. He says the guys are nice and all buy him drinks because he's just new and there aren't that many new faces in there (I sent him this thread which he thinks is hilarious - he also thinks DL is the online version of this bar) . I would go with him the next time I'm there, but I hate when guys think I want to sleep with them just because I say hi. I like these kinds of places way more than clubs or bars full of cunty gays on their phones who can't talk.

by Anonymousreply 197August 30, 2017 5:20 AM

I haven't been in years, but if you go, it's fun to chat with elders and get a free drink. I like it when older guys flirt. It makes me feel young! Mostly that just happens at Julius' or The Monster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198August 30, 2017 5:25 AM

yes, it's a comfy low-key place that is warm and welcoming, most guys won't care if you are looking for a free drink. one will most likely be offered, without strings. it's easy enough to read the vibe, if you're looking for a one night sugar daddy, you'll likely find him. if you just want to chat or listen to the music, that's fine too. you can go home with another younglin, or alone. if you're polite and friendly, it will most likely be returned, if you come with attitude or "let's visit the zoo", then fuck you (and not in the good way)

by Anonymousreply 199August 30, 2017 5:26 AM

That's good. I think I might accidentally give off "I am interested" vibes because I am very very talkative. I just ordered a sofa at this custom place & it took a few visits & back & forth to get right, and then the decorator invited me to a concert. Maybe he was just doing it as a friendly gesture though. It's not the first time it has happened, and I personally do not think it has to do with my looks. I think I just talk a lot more than most people & it looks like I want something out of them. On the other hand, there are people who think I am ADD or have a touch of the mania given my communication style.

by Anonymousreply 200August 30, 2017 5:31 AM

we're very attentive to our younger visitors

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201August 30, 2017 5:37 AM

Is there a link to that video....

by Anonymousreply 202August 30, 2017 5:46 AM

google: gay porn cmnm

by Anonymousreply 203August 30, 2017 5:50 AM

Both Prince Dimitri & Andy Cohen hang at the Townhouse and after a few cocktails easy to take home for sex! HRH Prince Dimitri is very hot, great body, nice guy and hungry wild+++ bottom! While Andy Cohen is passed his prime & boring in and out of bed. His dog would have been hotter to gave sex with!

by Anonymousreply 204August 30, 2017 7:42 AM

Sexy Prince Dimitri at his UES home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205August 30, 2017 7:49 AM

he's got that look

by Anonymousreply 206August 30, 2017 1:45 PM

He's got a twin too, just as handsome.

by Anonymousreply 207August 30, 2017 2:04 PM

The Prince is hot! Are there a lot of rich single hot princes at the Townhouse?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208August 31, 2017 9:10 PM

You wouldn't believe how royal he is, barely a drop of commoner blood on either side of his family. More royal than the Windsors, really.

by Anonymousreply 209August 31, 2017 10:04 PM

any drop of commoner semen?

by Anonymousreply 210August 31, 2017 10:11 PM

I take that back, he's got some non-royal blood in the paternal line. He's a descendant of Prince Alexander Karadordevic who was elected King of Serbia in 1842, born the son of an illiterate peasant who rose in prominence as a revolutionary figure. Alexander was married to a commoner woman too, the daughter of a governor. Dimitri's line comes from Alexander's son Prince Arsen, who married a Russian princess of non-royal blood. But Prince Arsen's son Paul married Princess Olga of Greece, a descendant of the royal houses of Greece, Denmark, Russia, and the German grand duchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.

On his mother's side though, there's all the royal houses represented; Italy, Belgium, France, Austria, Sardinia, Coburg, Saxony, Bavaria, The Two Sicilies, Montenegro, and many more. A small slice of non-royal blood comes from the consort of Dimitri's ancestor King Nicolai of Montenegro, he married the daughter of a governor.

Still, it's a very interesting heritage. Full of history!

by Anonymousreply 211August 31, 2017 10:49 PM

Question about royal twins. So, if you are the older twin, only by a minute or two, are you still first in line for the throne?

by Anonymousreply 212August 31, 2017 10:51 PM

Fank you!

by Anonymousreply 213September 1, 2017 3:01 AM

I've been going there on and off since they opened. The first time I was wearing ripped jeans and the doorman told me "Any ungentle manly behavior would not be tolerated." Ha. Twice I had a run in with David Hampton, the guy who "Six Degrees of Separation" is based. I called him out on his bull shit. The place is a bar, with some good piano players (Michael Farrari) and some shitty piano players. It's like an old school country club vibe. Yes, there are older men there, after all it's the UES, not HK or LES. Who cares. It's a fun place, you can have a conversation, meet people, or belt out a tune. Sure, call it the Wrinkle Room, or the Clownhouse, I don't think it's swarming with hookers...It's a "Gentleman's" bar. On a side note, the younger of the two owners (this was a while ago) liked to fool around at the gym.

by Anonymousreply 214September 1, 2017 3:47 AM

must have been a while, David Hampton died of AIDS-related complications while being treated for his illness at Beth Israel Hospital in Manhattan. in 2003

by Anonymousreply 215September 1, 2017 4:45 AM

r212, depending no, if you are a female. Depends on the country.

by Anonymousreply 216September 1, 2017 5:03 AM

You senile queens ... this topic is not about "faked" royalty, but about a great gay bar Townhouse. Get your act together bitches!

by Anonymousreply 217September 3, 2017 2:59 AM

I was there tonight and has an amazing time! One of the few bars left that you can talk to be people and gay men of all ages & sizes can interact.

by Anonymousreply 218September 3, 2017 7:13 AM

Is there still a policy where you can't wear jeans and have to wear a suit jacket?

by Anonymousreply 219September 3, 2017 5:58 PM

No 219.

by Anonymousreply 220September 3, 2017 9:52 PM

The restroom urinal gives zero privacy. There's a huge mirror above the sink that reflects the partition-less urinal, I'm sure it's by design. I use the stall, I'm a little modest.

by Anonymousreply 221September 3, 2017 9:56 PM

and presumably, have a small dick

by Anonymousreply 222September 3, 2017 9:57 PM

A grower not a show-er, yes.

by Anonymousreply 223September 3, 2017 10:11 PM

The King of Siam is another frequent guest of the Townhouse. The purity of his blood is apparent just in his bearing and demeanor. It is really something to behold.

by Anonymousreply 224September 4, 2017 12:10 AM

Wouldn't surprise me. Actually he's had HIV rumors for years. Anyway, look at his wasting face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225September 4, 2017 12:17 AM

He looked that way when he was 12 years old.

by Anonymousreply 226September 4, 2017 12:25 AM

Is the wealthy and handsome Prince Dimitri to be found nightly at the Townhouse? Sounds like the Townhouse is the place to meet the perfect husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227September 5, 2017 6:19 AM

Townhouse sounds like Monster on Christopher St.

by Anonymousreply 228September 5, 2017 6:34 AM

R224, Don't they call it Thailand now?

by Anonymousreply 229September 5, 2017 7:45 AM

Isn't the King of Thailand the one who is covered in tattoos?

Dos anyone know if Prince Dmitri is related to Princess Elizabeth who is Catherine Oxenberg's mother?

by Anonymousreply 230September 5, 2017 8:09 AM

Yes she is his aunt, making Catherine Oldenburg his paternal first cousin.

by Anonymousreply 231September 5, 2017 11:32 AM

The Townhouse and The Monster both share a certain moldy odor, I'm not being a wise guy and saying it's from the patrons. But I can definitely smell it, I wonder if it's because they aren't well lit.

by Anonymousreply 232September 5, 2017 11:39 AM

I love the Townhouse. One of the last classy places for men of all ages to meet.

by Anonymousreply 233September 6, 2017 7:44 AM

I want to visit NYC this fall... it's been ages since I was there. I expect we can have a DL meetup there then? Proper attire required (finest hand woven caftans only).

by Anonymousreply 234September 6, 2017 7:47 AM

R230, the King of Thailand is Prince Dmitri's fourth cousin once removed.

by Anonymousreply 235September 6, 2017 7:48 AM

Prince Dimitri will have the slings & paddles ready for the DL after party!

by Anonymousreply 236September 7, 2017 6:59 AM

Paddle Thai

by Anonymousreply 237September 7, 2017 7:04 AM

Really fun place if your not an obnoxious young jerk.

by Anonymousreply 238September 7, 2017 11:38 AM

Just home from another delightful Saturday night with friends at the Toenhouse. Lots of handsome and sexy men of all ages there tonight.

by Anonymousreply 239September 10, 2017 8:10 AM

Connecticut expatriate here. I remember the days in the early seventies when, as a twenty something, I would take the train in for happy hour, with a razor and a toothbrush in my jacket pocket. Sometimes I'd be back on the last train. Sometimes I'd close the place and wait at some all night diner until the first train at 5:40 am.

If I got lucky sometimes I'd be back on Saturday, Sunday, or even directly to work on Monday morning. Good times, until they weren't.

by Anonymousreply 240September 10, 2017 8:35 PM

For some reason your post got me a little, R240. I realized the other day that coming of age in the 80s, as I did, was really like being locked in two closets--one built around the fear of coming out and the other around the specter of AIDS. I mean, I've always felt grateful that I was lucky enough to get the message at a young age so that I could take steps to protect myself--but I do think living your teenage years as a gay guy in the 1980s was a rather singular experience. Anyway, I hope those times in the 70s were indeed good for you and I'm glad you made it through to the other side.

by Anonymousreply 241September 10, 2017 9:31 PM

Thanks for your good thoughts, R241. Like many others, I lost a lot of friends in the 80's, gone before their time. Sometimes think that one of the reasons there are so many depressing and crabby eldergays now is that most of the fun ones died off.

I owe my survival to the fact that I'm kind of a prude sexually and never was into particularly risky activities, and once I learned that I was negative, I was determined to stay that way.

I'm in my mid-seventies now, have been very fortunate in my career and my relationships. And I still like to go to the Townhouse once in a while when I'm in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 242September 11, 2017 12:02 AM

I when I get into New York for business, I try to stop in at the Townhouse. I am in a suit and tie; my clothes come from a department store since we don't have a Brooks Brothers nearby. My clothes and my Appalachian accent seem to keep hustlers at bay.

I also like the Monster when I am in New York. Both places seem to cater to men who want to talk to the men sitting next to them. not necessarily to dance with them

by Anonymousreply 243September 11, 2017 12:18 AM

Wow R241, that's pretty eye-opening. I can only imagine how hard it was to be gay in that era and it explains why so many guys were in the closet. Fear of dying will do that to you.

I've heard guys your age say they tested negative in the early 80s and basically gave up sex for the next ten years. Or limited themselves to hand jobs.

Sorry seems trite, but it's from the heart.

by Anonymousreply 244September 11, 2017 12:36 AM

Not trite at all, R244; I appreciate your understanding. Plus you're absolutely right. My, uh, repertoire was very limited until I was about 30. And R240/R242, it sounds like you've had a great life--no crabby eldergay you!

by Anonymousreply 245September 11, 2017 8:31 PM

So what is the Townhouse like on a regular Tuesday night?

by Anonymousreply 246September 16, 2017 5:23 PM

Always someone sexy to take home from there.

by Anonymousreply 247September 16, 2017 10:02 PM

friendly as always, just less busy

by Anonymousreply 248September 16, 2017 10:09 PM

Let's all go tonight.

by Anonymousreply 249September 24, 2017 9:03 AM

From my email:

Happy Fall!

Here are some events going on at Townhouse that you just can't miss!

Thursday October 12th: Oktoberfest @ the Townhouse!!!

The hottest lederhosen in town worn by our sexy bartenders. German appetizers galore! Drink specials on all German Beers! The party of the season!

Saturday October 28th: Halloween @ the Townhouse!

Winner takes it all!

Our annual costume contest where the Grand Prize Winner takes home $500!!!!!

All of our bartenders will be dressed in their BEST costumes!

Every Friday and Saturday: Come see the hottest boys in town @ in our Down Under Room!

Hats allowed downstairs, enjoy some of Today's best music with our Down Under DJ!

($10 Drink Ticket with Entry)

10 PM - 2 AM

Drum Role Please!

Introducing, by popular demand, the Down Under Room!

Our downstairs is currently expanding!

We are still open for business as usual, but we are renovating to make the size bigger to host your upcoming seasonal private parties!

Contact management at any time @ michael@townhouseny.com to set up a viewing to host your private party!

Have you had time to check out our Facebook? Get the latest updates every week on our Facebook @ Townhouse Bar NYC

Regards,

Michael

by Anonymousreply 250September 27, 2017 11:16 PM

This has been one of the best threads I’ve ever read on DL. It has made me laugh and wonder and smile. I so want to visit The Townhouse now. I love eldergays— I am one myself at 51. Young men, if you don’t have some old gay friends you don’t know what you’re missing, wafting ungurnt odors aside lol. I wish the place well!

by Anonymousreply 251September 28, 2017 12:54 AM

^ Unguent*

by Anonymousreply 252September 28, 2017 12:54 AM

oh honey, at 51 you are just entering your ladhood, come sit by me and i'll buy you a drink

by Anonymousreply 253September 28, 2017 2:13 AM

Great time around the piano last night.

by Anonymousreply 254September 29, 2017 2:21 PM

R254, were you chased or the one chasing?

by Anonymousreply 255September 29, 2017 2:34 PM

Friendliest bar in NYC! I go there and beer bust at th eagle

by Anonymousreply 256September 29, 2017 2:35 PM

I smells musty in there sometimes, and I don't mean the men. Like the smell of a long enclosed chamber.

by Anonymousreply 257September 29, 2017 4:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258September 30, 2017 5:19 AM

Best bar in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 259October 7, 2017 9:53 PM

Forensic Files just ran their episode on the Last Caller Killer (I mean, it just ended a few minutes ago! Spooky....

by Anonymousreply 260October 8, 2017 3:34 AM

Townhouse has become one of the friendliest bars in NYC. One of the last places you can live to another gay man!

by Anonymousreply 261October 13, 2017 3:36 AM

I'm going to NYC this weekend. I may check it out.

by Anonymousreply 262October 13, 2017 4:00 AM

Ok, think I'm going tonight. Haven't been there in about 13 years. Since then I've crossed over from "you look young for your age" to silver haired "daddy" (I'm 45) so it will be interesting.

I will not be wearing any kind of neckwear or tasseled loafers...will I be permitted entrance??

by Anonymousreply 263October 14, 2017 1:20 PM

we gladly welcome lads of 45, regardless of attire

by Anonymousreply 264October 14, 2017 2:13 PM

My husband likes to go and sing at the Tiwnhouse.

by Anonymousreply 265October 20, 2017 6:29 PM

I've been wanting to revive the Regency neckcloth but didn't know where to wear it without getting beat up. Would the gentlemen at The Townhouse admire it?

You must admit, it is very dashing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266October 20, 2017 8:52 PM

r263, I believe it is a blazer joint, where you pull out your Gucci [Tom Ford, not current Gucci] black slim wallet for your credit card.

by Anonymousreply 267October 21, 2017 1:22 AM

Dreadful website. Lederhosen and go-go boys... so upscale.

by Anonymousreply 268October 21, 2017 1:41 AM

R266, I'll admit it looks like a neck brace.

by Anonymousreply 269October 21, 2017 1:59 AM

r268, they do themes for fun. Octoberfest? Plus they have a dungeon of sorts.

by Anonymousreply 270October 21, 2017 2:16 AM

what does on in the dungeon? are you sure?

by Anonymousreply 271October 21, 2017 10:51 AM

Fun place

by Anonymousreply 272November 9, 2017 3:41 PM

I had very confused experienced when I was there as a 21 years old alone on a Saturday night during summer. There were a lot of women and groups of men in their 30s. I like men purely in their 50s - 60s and the reviews promised me all of that ! There were a couple of men I liked there but all already engaged in a conversation with someone else. Guess I need a professional wingman next time.

by Anonymousreply 273December 26, 2017 9:22 PM

Picked up a cute cubby Doctor from Fla there. He was in a great grey custom suit. Wish I could remember his name.

by Anonymousreply 274December 26, 2017 10:10 PM

Lots of rich young hot Eurotrash to fuck there?

by Anonymousreply 275December 30, 2017 11:05 AM

There's always a line at the urinals. What with the prostate issues...

But I've been there and everyone was friendly and great.

by Anonymousreply 276December 30, 2017 11:09 AM

Elder/Hooker Bar

by Anonymousreply 277March 18, 2018 5:00 AM

Is Prince Dimetry stil hanging at the piano?

by Anonymousreply 278March 20, 2018 5:19 AM

R252 "unguent"

Isn't that an animal that chews its cud?

by Anonymousreply 279March 20, 2018 6:01 AM

Do the Andys go here yet or are they still "Twink Adjacent"?

by Anonymousreply 280April 7, 2018 1:58 AM

I would totally have fun with Prince Dimitri.

by Anonymousreply 281April 7, 2018 2:03 AM

Rounds was the best bar ever. seductive with them old oval leather cozy nooks to sit in, ok food

too bad it was shut own by the bitch judge who moved in down the street . had been there for ever ..fun old lady piano singers and hot hores. that was my go to spot fer hores, and another sleezy one called Zelda or Selma or sumthin like that , near times sq.

LORD I MISS THE GAIETY.

TOWNHOUSE IS OK BUT BIT OF BORE..

by Anonymousreply 282April 7, 2018 2:21 AM

It seems an interesting establishment. I've never been to a piano bar before and would probably really enjoy it sometime. I also enjoy the company of handsome mature men with panache.

by Anonymousreply 283April 7, 2018 2:46 AM

I am love with Prince Dimitri! Long live the townhouse!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284April 7, 2018 4:04 AM

When I lived in Manhattan, its nickname was "Heaven's Waiting Room."

by Anonymousreply 285April 7, 2018 4:06 AM

was 21 when I first went

elder queens were all over me. could name my price

highly recommend it for lads wanting to make a few grande....lotsa famous old richies...

by Anonymousreply 286April 7, 2018 4:09 AM

I am 25, tall, hot and muscular and love the diversity of guys old and young there!

by Anonymousreply 287April 7, 2018 4:11 AM

R286, How famous? Any ever discussed on DL?

by Anonymousreply 288April 7, 2018 4:13 AM

HRH Prince Dimitri is a regular. I have meet him there several times & had hot sex with him. He is one of the hottest & very wild bottoms in NYC!

by Anonymousreply 289April 7, 2018 6:21 AM

I met who i swear was tom selleck bak in the seventys. he was in disguise, he was very odd....

was hustler huntin,

by Anonymousreply 290April 7, 2018 12:45 PM

[quote] bak in the seventys

Oh my.

by Anonymousreply 291April 7, 2018 1:50 PM

Gee, ARod looked a bit stunned in Prince Dimitri's presence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292April 7, 2018 1:55 PM

Better link for you, R292.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293April 7, 2018 1:57 PM

Dimitri loves big bats!

by Anonymousreply 294April 7, 2018 2:59 PM

OP you win for most perfect DL thread topic

by Anonymousreply 295April 7, 2018 3:50 PM

That whole block on E. 58th street is gay. There's another gay bar across the street from the Townhouse, gay restaurants, and the rest of the businesses are gay designer galleries.

by Anonymousreply 296April 7, 2018 10:30 PM

I am love with the handsome Prince. The opportunity to meet a sexy man like him is a reason to go to the townhouse.

by Anonymousreply 297April 7, 2018 11:20 PM

I miss the Rounds also, someone should write a book about it and the Gaiety....fun times. Never seen any other places like em...

by Anonymousreply 298April 8, 2018 4:28 AM

Thank you for the posting. I went to the Townhouse Saturday night and meet a very sexy older man in his 50's there. (I am 28) spent all day Sunday with him and looking forward to a dinner date Friday.

by Anonymousreply 299April 9, 2018 7:55 AM

Was he one of the royals, R299?

by Anonymousreply 300April 9, 2018 12:17 PM

I went there years ago, when I was in my late 20's... now mid 40's. I did get hit on by a few older types (ascot types) and then I left rather quickly. It did feel like a funeral parlor, although a very clubby funeral parlor.

by Anonymousreply 301April 9, 2018 1:16 PM

I met a boy there who had been hired often by sigfried and roy, and was flown to vegas to be with them. before the accident. he was hot and smart and a great guy....HUNG love to see him again. jus know he aged well and looks sooper dooper

by Anonymousreply 302April 9, 2018 1:36 PM

Coincidentally, I'm writing a history of gay nyc bars called TOWNHOUSE OR ROUNDS? keep the storys a cumin

any places to find info bout them?

by Anonymousreply 303April 9, 2018 11:09 PM

302, hired for what?

by Anonymousreply 304April 9, 2018 11:54 PM

[quote] hired for what?

House staging, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 305April 10, 2018 12:00 AM

[quote] I went there years ago, when I was in my late 20's... now mid 40's.

Go there again now, R301, now that you're older and see if you feel the same way.

by Anonymousreply 306April 10, 2018 1:32 AM

It is now the best bar to find a handsome husband or boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 307April 10, 2018 3:48 AM

hired to fuk and suk both of them, and their hot friends, it was wild he said and his tits and hole were sore for weeks. very well paid for the weekend

by Anonymousreply 308April 10, 2018 9:40 AM

You are 100% correct R181 - I have lived in countries with large Brazilian communities and I have never met a more superficial, vacuous, self-serving and treacherous bunch of people than the fucking Brazilians. There are exceptions, of course, but generally that's who they are - vile people. Their country is the corrupt, violent cesspool that it is because they are mostly morally bankrupt assholes.

Ever known another nation that had the officially sanctioned and widely supported killing of its street children, as occurred in the 80s and 90s? That's Brazil and the Brazilians for you.

Oh, and there are of course very hot and sexy Brazilians, but the vast majority are fucking ugly, dumpy and badly-shaped.

How very depressing to hear that the gay scene in a city as genuinely friendly as Dublin is overrun with Brazilians - the poor Irish!

by Anonymousreply 309April 10, 2018 10:31 AM

my worst whores were Brazilians, they demand $ up front and don't deliver the ass.

bummer!!

theyr all str8 con men workiin the white man

by Anonymousreply 310April 10, 2018 9:44 PM

I wonder if Cubans would be any worse if they were liberated from their dictatorship.

by Anonymousreply 311April 10, 2018 10:55 PM

Downstairs at the Townhousd always good place for sex with a trick

by Anonymousreply 312April 13, 2018 3:26 AM

one memorable night a kid was buck naked and 5 old men were devouring him.....

awesome

by Anonymousreply 313April 13, 2018 3:29 AM

It USED to be, R312, now they use that space for gogo dancer on weekends, and on the other nights they keep it closed down.

by Anonymousreply 314April 13, 2018 3:47 AM

I went there once, in April 2001. I was 36 and my boyfriend was 25. Back then, we were two of the youngest patrons by far. There were a few fruit flies in the company of their chicken-hawk patrons, but most of the crowd was elderly.

The boyfriend had heard that the pianist played show tunes, and his love of Broadway shows is his only publicly discernible gay trait, so off we went. No desire to return. Sounds like it hasn't changed much.

by Anonymousreply 315April 13, 2018 3:56 AM

in the 90s I made a grande one nite in the toilet, old men sukin me all over...

by Anonymousreply 316April 13, 2018 12:46 PM

[quote]I made a grande one nite in the toilet

Turd or trick?

by Anonymousreply 317April 13, 2018 12:51 PM

I meet a young Saudi Prince there and dated him for a few years.

by Anonymousreply 318April 14, 2018 6:20 AM

This one, R318?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319April 14, 2018 6:26 AM

I went last night and went home with a hot muscular couple in their mid-30s.

by Anonymousreply 320April 15, 2018 5:34 AM

Bully for you, R320. Now go check for herpes.

by Anonymousreply 321April 15, 2018 6:12 PM

I have meet several boyfriends there and I am under 40!

by Anonymousreply 322April 22, 2018 8:12 AM

This place is probably the most unique in NYC. A classy Elder/hustler bar in front, a piano bar in the back, a stripper lounge downstairs....it's worth the price of admission, but wait there is no cover charge, just a Dress Code!

by Anonymousreply 323April 23, 2018 6:31 AM

Early 20s guy going there on Friday. What should I expect? I am worried people may mistake me for a hooker.

by Anonymousreply 324May 1, 2018 1:14 PM

All the hookers are online, on Rentmen.com, not at any bar!

by Anonymousreply 325May 2, 2018 5:44 AM

It's packed on Saturday night!!!

by Anonymousreply 326May 2, 2018 8:52 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 327May 31, 2018 5:31 AM

ive gone numerous times but ive not seen a whore I would pay

the queens in suits,, even the young ones, are repulsive and SQUARE AS FUK

by Anonymousreply 328May 31, 2018 6:23 AM

You must not have meet the handsome Prince Dimitri. There are many princes who frequent the Townhouse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329May 31, 2018 6:33 AM

You never who you will meet there. Lots of Hollywood actors frequent it.

by Anonymousreply 330June 1, 2018 6:49 AM

How will an eldergay in a cheap suit fare there?

by Anonymousreply 331June 1, 2018 6:52 AM

Let me know as I am pressing my Robert Hall wool poly blend suit...

by Anonymousreply 332June 1, 2018 7:08 AM

In all my time at Townhouse, I’ve NEVER seen a Hollywood actor. Though for some reason, it does attract a certain semi-closeted old money type who would never be seen at say Julius. Like attracts like I guess. And I’m sure the Upper East Side location plays into that.

by Anonymousreply 333June 1, 2018 2:12 PM

It's one of life's soulsearching moments when one is asked how much money sex with you is worth. Though it's more a Rounds (now long gone) on the next block than a Townhouse moment.

by Anonymousreply 334June 1, 2018 3:11 PM

I’ll be there tomorrow night.

by Anonymousreply 335June 18, 2018 5:23 AM

Lots of famous people and wealthy Titans go there

by Anonymousreply 336June 18, 2018 5:54 AM

If you are a star with any kind of fame, AVOID like the bubonic plague unless you are out and proud. Because the gays will jump all over that in a heartbeat and make sure the media knows about it, like, instantly.

by Anonymousreply 337June 18, 2018 6:00 AM

was that Bradley cooper in drag I saw there???

by Anonymousreply 338June 18, 2018 9:56 AM

When did the Townhouse have a darkroom? I never saw one there. For that matter, I never saw dancers either.

by Anonymousreply 339June 18, 2018 10:01 AM

They recently started having dancers on the bottom floor on some weekend nights (with cover charge to enter that area).

by Anonymousreply 340June 18, 2018 12:36 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 341July 19, 2018 2:59 AM

This place is so fun, because of the mix of demographics. Also, if you're under 35 the dress code does not apply. WORKING BOYS WELCOME!

by Anonymousreply 342July 19, 2018 7:35 AM

Can men in this bar tell if a younger guy there is into daddies or working? I(22) was there last week and some men definitely thought I was there to earn money. Even tried to dress like a smart geeky boy lol

by Anonymousreply 343July 20, 2018 12:39 AM

The best gay bar in Manhattan

by Anonymousreply 344August 1, 2018 8:50 AM

Awaken this thread!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345August 30, 2018 6:52 AM

Unless you’re our fav teen, Joel with his elder neighbour

by Anonymousreply 346August 30, 2018 6:59 AM

Tell the bartender you know Prince Dimitri of Yugoslavia and you get a free drink!

by Anonymousreply 347August 31, 2018 2:19 AM

I meet my husband there

by Anonymousreply 348September 6, 2018 5:42 AM

This is the classiest Gay Bar in NYC. On busy nights there are 40% 20/30/40yo guys (10% under 30 are escorts), 55% 50-80+ guys and then 5% Frau and UES elder fag hags. Quite an eclectic crowd!

by Anonymousreply 349October 1, 2018 4:45 AM

Friend and I used to call the downstairs room "The Air France First-Class Departure Lounge". It frequently smelled of mildew due to flooding(?). Haven't been there in years. Back 10+ years ago on Friday and Saturday nights there was this awful fag hag there by the name of Ruthie. She could get belligerent and nasty the drunker she got and she'd grope men too. Was supposed to be a nurse.

by Anonymousreply 350October 1, 2018 5:01 AM

R350 she was ahead of her time now all the "faghags" sexually assault men at gay clubs

by Anonymousreply 351October 1, 2018 5:03 AM

Great place!

by Anonymousreply 352October 14, 2018 8:43 PM

Sometimes some Elder Gay celebrities will wonder in

by Anonymousreply 353October 26, 2018 6:49 AM

Rex Reed? Who else who's still alive?

by Anonymousreply 354November 3, 2018 3:38 AM

If Datalounge were a gay bar, it would be the Townhouse.

by Anonymousreply 355November 3, 2018 3:42 AM

This place is actually really fun on Fridays and Saturdays.

by Anonymousreply 356July 30, 2019 7:18 PM

R13 I agree. Thursday thru Sunday, Rick is the best!

by Anonymousreply 357July 30, 2019 7:24 PM

Is it still busy anymore?

by Anonymousreply 358July 31, 2019 9:52 AM

We have a Datalounger reporting LIVE from Townhouse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359December 16, 2019 9:17 PM

I hope Townhouse makes it through this crisis.

by Anonymousreply 360May 2, 2020 12:22 AM

I'm sorry if this was posted somewhere else, but Rick died of Covid.

by Anonymousreply 361May 3, 2020 5:00 PM

The piano player, R361? That's sad to hear.

by Anonymousreply 362May 3, 2020 5:11 PM

I’m dreading when my gay bar reopens - I fear many of the eldergays didn’t make it through. A few had serious health issues including lung cancer before this started. I’ll be sad if they died.

by Anonymousreply 363May 3, 2020 5:44 PM

Townhouse should update their site to reflect they are now closed.

by Anonymousreply 364May 3, 2020 6:40 PM

R364 yes, I’m sure Elders have mistakenly dropped by thinking they were open.

by Anonymousreply 365May 3, 2020 7:01 PM

I used to go to Regent East way back in the 80’s, before I moved out of town. I met some nice men there. I guess that’s been gone for a long time.

I’ve been to the Townhouse, but only once or twice, mostly because, when I come back on visits, I rarely get over to the East Side. The crowd seemed amiable. I suppose they get more amiable later in the evening.

by Anonymousreply 366May 4, 2020 11:41 PM

I thought the Townhouse AKA The Wrinkle Room closed years ago.

by Anonymousreply 367May 4, 2020 11:50 PM

Extensive article on the Townhouse killer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368May 5, 2020 6:11 PM

Why would you post that, R368?

by Anonymousreply 369May 5, 2020 6:50 PM

It seems it is true that Rick Unterberg has died of Covid-19.

Fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370May 5, 2020 7:41 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371May 5, 2020 9:36 PM

RIP Rick

by Anonymousreply 372May 6, 2020 1:09 AM

Exhibit A

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373May 16, 2020 12:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!