Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who Was The Worst Charlie's Angels Replacement Actress?

After Kate Jackson left Charlie's Angels at the end of the third season the show started to drop in the ratings during the final two years until it was cancelled.

Shelley Hack was not a hit with the viewers after Kate left and was replaced with Tanya Roberts who could not bring the ratings back up again.

Which of the 2 actresses gets most of the blame as the worst replacement?

by Anonymousreply 441July 10, 2020 6:23 AM

Shelley Hack. She wasn't a brunette match for Kate, acted too elegant to be a detective, and wasn't much of an actress. She pretty much dropped out of sight afterwards.

I liked Tanya Roberts betters. She was a beautiful auburn/brunette, was very gritty and down to earth, and could really fight. After the show she went on to star in movies and then That Seventies Show.

by Anonymousreply 1July 30, 2017 4:15 AM

Farrah Fawcett was the most difficult angel to replace but Cheryl Ladd managed to pull it off quite nicely.

Kate Jackson should have relatively easy to replace but she and Shelley Hack were such complete opposites that it really screwed up the show. Bad call for the casting department.

by Anonymousreply 2July 30, 2017 4:35 AM

The demise of the series wasn't Tanya's fault; viewers had already grown tired of it prior to her arrival. She was collateral damage in its wake.

Daym, she was hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 30, 2017 4:42 AM

Tanya Roberts.

Shelly Hack was okay but ugh. It just got ruined after Kate left.

by Anonymousreply 4July 30, 2017 4:44 AM

Cheryl was much better than Farrah.

by Anonymousreply 5July 30, 2017 4:47 AM

Though I'd watched the show, I don't recall Farrah's appearances. I didn't perk up until Cheryl made the scene.

A few years later, she made "Millennium" with Kris Kristofferson. Bow down, 80's bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 30, 2017 4:55 AM

r5, they were apples and oranges.

I liked them both.

by Anonymousreply 7July 30, 2017 5:02 AM

Shelley Hack had a pretty well received appearance in Scorsese's King of Comedy. She is really the only angel with a classic film appearance.

by Anonymousreply 8July 30, 2017 5:11 AM

Shelley was worse. She didn't fit in at all. She wasn't believable as a detective or had the sex appeal the show required. She was also not a very good actress. They cut many of her scenes in her first episode because she was so bad. She improved some as the season progressed, but it was too little too late. The ratings were dropping big time (60% over the course of the season).

Tanya was not a strong actress either but she did have a tough edge to her and had sex appeal. I thought they should've made her character tougher though, so she would've stood out more. They made her seem quite airheaded at times and inconsistently written. Cheryl Ladd said she was glad when Tanya came along because got a lot of bikini scenes so she herself wouldn't have to do so many.

by Anonymousreply 9July 30, 2017 5:18 AM

The show had already started to fade even before Kate's departure, so it's unfair to blame either Shelley or Tanya for its eventual cancellation.

HOWEVER, Charlie's Angels was still a top 20 hit during Shelley Hack's brief run. It plummeted significantly with the arrival of Tanya Roberts. Personally, I think they should have stuck with Shelley. -- the show would have ended anyway, but the constant cast turnover only hastened the end.

(BTW, how gay is this conversation?!)

by Anonymousreply 10July 30, 2017 5:31 AM

I liked Shelly Hack but the writing was no longer gritty or interesting. The show was much better the first season and a half when the Angels were conning bad guys and beating them at their own games. Season 3 and 4 it became more of a mystery show. After Shelly's addition to the show the ladies appearance went up a notch.. Their hair, makeup, and clothing were flawless. I think she had a lot to do with that. She had been a New York high fashion model since she was a teenager. At one point, one of my favorite actresses was going to be cast. Her name was Claudia Jennings. Producers decided against her at the last minute because they discovered her nude scenes in movies and her long running centerfold work with Playboy magazine. I think she would have returned some of the appeal the original show had because she was gorgeous and very hard working. I heard that Shelly Hack was the reason it took so long for season 4 to be released on DVD. She was holding out for more money. TNT ran a week long marathon which allowed fans to tape the shows, then she relented and the season was released on video. I lose respect for actors when they do not consider their fans and co-workers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 30, 2017 5:37 AM

R11 seasn 4 on dvd. I have season 1 and I can't find seasons 2 and 3. No interest in 4 or 5.

by Anonymousreply 12July 30, 2017 8:46 AM

Jaclyn Smith stayed with the show for the entire 5 year run and went through all the angels (no pun intended). Apparently she was very gracious and pleasant to work with.

Tanya Roberts said that when the show was cancelled Jaclyn could be heard shouting and yelling for joy all over the set.

Tanya had just started and was disappointed but faithful angel Jaclyn had had enough and was happy to move on.

by Anonymousreply 13July 30, 2017 8:44 PM

The show was just tired by the end. They were recycling plots. If they weren't recycling plots, they were nonsensical or stupid. Were we supposed to believe that Shelley Hack was a streetwalker that could earn $1K (in 1980) a scene?The hair became atrocious-Jaclyn's poodle perm, Shelley's dry mop of straw hair.

Of course, it was never a writer's show. There's an episode in season 3-"Marathon Angels-"that has dialogue that would be ridiculed in a beginning writer's class at The Learning Annex. That's the episode where Kate really lost it and started screaming on the set "THIS IS SHIT! SHIT! SHIT!"

The thing that always stood out for me -because it was a 70s show and car chases were such a big part of it-were the CARS looked old. These women were supposed to be glamorous and apparently well paid. and were driving banged up Pintos and Mustangs. In the last episode, Tanya's Pinto (which was Kate's Pinto) can be seen with a big piece of trim hanging off. There's a scene earlier in the previous season where you can see Jaclyn Smith's car seat is held together with duct tape. It was just odd.

by Anonymousreply 14July 30, 2017 8:55 PM

[quote]. In the last episode, Tanya's Pinto (which was Kate's Pinto) can be seen with a big piece of trim hanging off.

I saw Tanya's Playboy spread and she can confirm she had a ginormous trim.

by Anonymousreply 15July 30, 2017 9:27 PM

Didnt Claudia Jennings play Johny Bravos manager in that Brady Bunch episode?

by Anonymousreply 16July 30, 2017 9:55 PM

By Season 3, they had started to split the Angels up more and more.

By Season 4 it was pretty much solo Angel adventures except for the episode where they are dumped on an island and hunted - still one of the more memorable episodes.

Season Five was a slight improvement only because they had the Angels working more as a threesome again.

by Anonymousreply 17July 30, 2017 10:33 PM

One episode in either season 4 or 5 I don't recall had Kelly finding her birth parents (or she thought) and they were rich. Bobby Ewing/Patrick Duffy was a lawyer/con man who Kelly fell in love with. Only he accidentally slept with Kris. Then the angels were not bffs anymore. You always assumed they did the deed but that was the first time we had proof one had sex and was not married, and she was did her friend dirty. I can't remember if Kris knew he was also carrying on with Kelly at the time.

by Anonymousreply 18July 30, 2017 10:41 PM

I had a friend who was a PA on the show in its last two seasons and she told me that after they fired Shelley Hack the powers that be thought that they get back to basics and hire another 'smart' angel, ala Kate Jackson. They also thought that hiring an older angel might broaden their demographic and bolster their sagging ratings. Essentially they shot a test episode with Sada Thompson as the new 'Angel' Laraine. This was right after 'Family' had been cancelled and Thompson was pretty popular at the time, plus a multiple Emmy winner who the producers thought might add some 'tome' and prestige to the show. Anyways, I guess they only shot Thompson's scenes and there were quite a few problems with their new 'angel'. Thompson found it difficult to run for any considerable amount of time and hated her costuming which consisted of blue jeans and twin sets. My friend also said that one thing they hadn't anticpated was that in hiring an older actress would lead to palpable sexual tension between Sada and David 'Bosley' Doyle, there was, and my friend said that the producers didn't want that distracting from the plot of each episode. Obviously they went with Tanya Roberts but you do have to wonder what might have been had they gone forward with Sada Thompson as Angel Laraine!

by Anonymousreply 19July 30, 2017 10:43 PM

That might have been interesting, the possible sexual tension with her and Bosley, John Bosley. I always liked when he had a woman in his sights.

by Anonymousreply 20July 30, 2017 10:54 PM

Shelley Hack was beautiful in a WASPy sort of way, but she was a lousy actress. Not as bad as Jaclyn Smith, though. No, I take that back, she was. They were both awful.

by Anonymousreply 21July 30, 2017 10:57 PM

But Jacklyn Smith has other talents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 30, 2017 11:01 PM

Please tell me r19 is a joke post.

by Anonymousreply 23July 30, 2017 11:03 PM

r23, I didn't post it so I don't know but maybe to keep it in the family it could have been Sabrina's mother. Like how they did Jill's sister. Sabrina's badass cop mom.

One reason I think it failed was they stopped trying to pass of the replacements as cops. It wasn't 3 little girls that went to the police academy. It was some cerebral, ivy league chick and a model.

by Anonymousreply 24July 30, 2017 11:11 PM

The show had a small cast - 4 characters essentially. I don't count Charlie as he was only a voice. When you have 2 or half the cast replaced (Fawcett and Jackson), it's no wonder people lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 25July 30, 2017 11:21 PM

Jaclyn's other talent was often showcased on the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 30, 2017 11:23 PM

Charlie's Angels had the worst scripts of any detective show that I have ever watched. It had great potential, 3 female detectives, but it turned into a juvenile shallow fest.

There was a standing joke that (straight) men would turn the volume down and just watch the girls cavorting on the screen.

I watched it a number of times but the scripts never got better. I'm surprised that it lasted 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 27July 31, 2017 1:20 AM

Yeah, the cars were awful.

They were all Fords because Ford was a sponsor and provided the cars free.

by Anonymousreply 28July 31, 2017 1:33 AM

That musical number is so bad. But Jaclyn was so beautiful, even moreso than Farrah. I thought Shelley was too...but the acting. She made an execrable TV movie called "Death Car on the Freeway", which reached new heights in bad tv acting. She made Jaclyn's turn as "Florence Nightingale" look like Meryl Streep in "Sophie's Choice".

by Anonymousreply 29July 31, 2017 1:40 AM

I agree that it did have the worst scripts of any major network detective show. Even when the Angels would "explain" the non-sensical plot to the audience in the kicker - in which Charlie would invariably make a sex joke - I could never quite figure out what happened.

by Anonymousreply 30July 31, 2017 1:41 AM

Scripts? Plot?

One word: nipples.

by Anonymousreply 31July 31, 2017 1:58 AM

Smith discusses the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 31, 2017 1:58 AM

Perhaps it's the choice of clips/editing (though Roberts has a horrible voice, that's clear as day) but Miss Tanya Roberts comes off as much worse an actress than Hack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 31, 2017 2:51 AM

Miss Shelley Hack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 31, 2017 2:53 AM

The show sucked in general after Farrah left. The storylines were silly, but it was enjoyable to watch while she was on. Even as a gayling, the show was way too fishy, with nothing else to offer, after she left.

by Anonymousreply 35July 31, 2017 3:01 AM

R33 Tanya Roberts has a cute, slightly raspy voice and it's very distinct and sexy in its own way.

by Anonymousreply 36July 31, 2017 3:49 AM

Tanya Roberts was Charlie's second sexiest Angel after the breathtaking Farrah Fawcett.

by Anonymousreply 37July 31, 2017 3:51 AM

I thought Hack was the most attractive of all the angels but the worst actress. She was much better as the Charley Girl.

by Anonymousreply 38July 31, 2017 3:52 AM

Kate Jackson always seemed sort of butch.

by Anonymousreply 39July 31, 2017 3:53 AM

If Kate had been allowed to do Kramer Versus Kramer.....would M still have become M?

by Anonymousreply 40July 31, 2017 3:56 AM

R39 Lesbians LOVED Kate Jackson. Even K.D. Lang said that she got this ping from Kate and really liked her.

by Anonymousreply 41July 31, 2017 3:59 AM

Hi everyone! It's me, Margo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 31, 2017 4:21 AM

Everyone thought Kim Basinger would be Farrah's replacement as she was on the top rated Angels episode of all time, Angels in Chains. The tag was that she was now working in the agency and Kim's show, Dog and Cat had been cancelled.

That Broadway episode had two Cassies from A Chorus Line. Pamela Peadon who did the show in LA and Sandy Roveta who was the original Cassie in the international company.

by Anonymousreply 43July 31, 2017 4:40 AM

Finally, r42! I can't believe it took 42 replies before our favorite T was mentioned. Let's enjoy the thrilling climax - it's dubbed but that actually improves the performances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 31, 2017 4:43 AM

I took care of that bitch later on

by Anonymousreply 45July 31, 2017 4:45 AM

Cheryl Ladd was and is a cunt. Always a Republican, she was much worse after she became an evangelical christian. It's the reason Jackson, a Democrat and liberal, hated her. My parents worked in thee business for a very long time and knew Jackson. When Jackson made "Making Love", Ladd sent her a card with bible passages condemning homosexuality. In return, Jackson had her lawyer send Ladd a letter telling her to cease and desist.

by Anonymousreply 46July 31, 2017 4:47 AM

I very briefly dated this guy who had worked in Hollywood and he told me Cheryl Ladd was a lesbian with a live in girlfriend. He had no reason to make up a story about a has been, but he was kind of an idiot, so maybe he meant Kate Jackson or even some other tv actress.

by Anonymousreply 47July 31, 2017 5:21 AM

Not true - Cheryl is VERY gay friendly and liberal. She has a bi-racial step daughter and has a small circle of gay friends, including interior designer who work with her and her husband. Jackson was upset that Ladd easily replaced her friend, Farrah Fawcett. Ladd quickly helped the show stay in the top 5 during season 2. Jackson thought she was the "star" of the show and it had become an ensemble that highlighted the other girls

by Anonymousreply 48July 31, 2017 5:23 AM

Cheryl taking over for Farrah had to have been one of most seamless replacements in TV history. It's a very difficult thing to pull off, especially replacing someone very popular and Cheryl was accepted by viewers immediately. It was probably a very good move having them make Kris be Jill's younger sister.

by Anonymousreply 49July 31, 2017 5:35 AM

R39...sort of? She was always in turtlenecks. That's the lesbian dress code...hello?

by Anonymousreply 50July 31, 2017 5:52 AM

I liked Shelly Hack and thought she was too good for the show. I thought her Charlie commercials were better than Charlie 's Angeles. I did not like Tanya Roberts at all and thought she was gross. I liked Kate Jackson the most out of the original three.

by Anonymousreply 51July 31, 2017 7:38 AM

r51

No one likes Shelly Hack

by Anonymousreply 52July 31, 2017 12:25 PM

The Fifth Season was awful but for one classic camptastic ep: Angel on The Line. The trannie Margo who detective Kelly Garrett can't quite see through. I would fault Jaclyn Smith's acting but for the fact she kept a straight face during filming. Would love to see the outtakes from that one!

by Anonymousreply 53July 31, 2017 12:34 PM

There was an episode of King of the Hill where they were watching TV and an episode of Charlie's Angels came on.

[quote]Damn, it's a Shelley Hack! That's like gettin' a Shemp!

by Anonymousreply 54July 31, 2017 12:35 PM

Jaclyn was never much of an actress, but she totally phoned it in during Season 5. She let it be known that she was leaving the show at the end of that season before it even started airing. Cheryl seemed bored sometimes too. Say what you will about Tanya, but she did bring some energy to the show that was really needed.

Season 5 also had some of the worst scripts. Moonshinin' Angels, Chorus Line Angels, Mr. Galaxy (despite the male eye candy) and the finale Let Our Angel Live were some of the shows worst episodes.

by Anonymousreply 55July 31, 2017 12:49 PM

Great clip R44. Even the dubbing was phoned in.

by Anonymousreply 56July 31, 2017 12:59 PM

In truth, were the show on today, Margo would have been brought on as the replacement angel, probably having been reformed and also cleaned up after lying for seeming ages in that puddle of mud.

by Anonymousreply 57July 31, 2017 1:30 PM

Let our Margo live!

by Anonymousreply 58July 31, 2017 2:12 PM

Worst actress on Charlie's Angels had to be Mercedes McCambridge in the episode entitled Angels in Springtime 1978, ridiculous story and campy performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 31, 2017 3:40 PM

Angels in Chains is the straight male's cult fav episode Angels in Springtime was made for chicks who dig chicks

by Anonymousreply 60July 31, 2017 4:05 PM

Another show that plays better in memory rather than in reruns.

by Anonymousreply 61July 31, 2017 4:09 PM

LORDY did Shelley Hack have bad hair.

The hair-and-makeup budget didn't stretch all the way to conditioner?

by Anonymousreply 62July 31, 2017 5:35 PM

R59 - she was awesome! Your mother sucks cocks in Hell!!!

by Anonymousreply 63July 31, 2017 5:46 PM

R62 Shelley was hated by people behind the scenes because she a bitch to them, so maybe the hair people hated her too.

All this reminds me of Nolan Miller's bitchy comments in a interview about Shelley, Kate and funny story about Tanya. He had only good things to say about Jaclyn, Farrah and Cheryl.

[quote]Kate: Nolan said Kate was a bitch and had a scrawny neck. She wouldn’t come to fittings and was a total diva. All she wanted to do was “wear those damn turtlenecks” and stand behind the bar.

[quote]Shelley: He begged Aaron to hire her. He felt like he was cheating on Jaclyn when Shelley was hired, and especially loved when she would flip up her collar and strut. However, a few months into the fourth season, he said Shelley turned into a MEGAbitch. She was difficult, complained about everything, and then he was begging Aaron to get rid of her.

[quote]Tanya: Lastly, when asked about Tanya, Nolan said “Oh God, is anyone going to see this?!”. He said he went to her house to measure her when she was hired, and her husband Barry opened the door and was fucked up out of his mind on whatever he was on. He got her measurements, asked if she was comfortable in a bikini, etc. and Barry said “Nolan, she can wear anything…show him honey”, so Tanya proceeded to get completely naked in the living room, and Nolan said “Gulp”. He said she had an amazing body, and the first thing he made for her was a crocheted bikini, which she wore to her first press junket as an Angel.

by Anonymousreply 64July 31, 2017 6:02 PM

Tanya Roberts had looks, but nothing else. She was a terrible actress. She starred in that atrocious movie "Sheena", in which she was a kind of female Tarzan. In commercials she was shown riding what was obviously a horse painted with stripes to look like a zebra.

I remember her being on the Tonight Show and boy did she make a bad impression. She came on; Johnny Carson rose to greet her with his arms outstretched....and she walks right past him, making a beeline for Michael Landon! After kissing Landon she dutifully goes back to Carson. I bet that made him REALLY mad, to be snubbed like that. The dumb bimbo. Her interview didn't go much better; she had nothing to say and the interview went nowhere. Tanya Roberts was truly one of the those women who had nothing but her looks going for her.

by Anonymousreply 65July 31, 2017 6:06 PM

I just googled Tanya Roberts nude. She should have kept those implants covered. They looked fine in clothes but strange uncovered.

by Anonymousreply 66July 31, 2017 7:07 PM

R59 Mercedes McCambridge won an Oscar way back in the early 1950's.

by Anonymousreply 67July 31, 2017 7:50 PM

Mercedes's son killed himself. wife and and two daughters.

by Anonymousreply 68August 2, 2017 3:08 AM

R68 He claimed that his mother was abusive to him when he was growing up. What an awful mess.

by Anonymousreply 69August 2, 2017 3:16 AM

No love for any of the reboots?

by Anonymousreply 70August 2, 2017 3:29 AM

That's hilarious, r66 - I did the exact same thing! There is one shot where her left breast looks weird, like her nipples are pointing in different directions. But for whatever reason, Tanya Roberts (in her prime) is one of the few females I would switch for. She was gorgeous back then, though I liked her better with dark hair. Even now looking at the nude pics I get a little heated up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 2, 2017 7:06 AM

I'm surprised the post by R19 didn't get more traction. I laughed my ass off!

Thanks R19!!

by Anonymousreply 72August 2, 2017 2:50 PM

R48 You're a liar. She and her hubby are both homophobic fundies. Not sure what her "biracial daughter" has to do with anything.

by Anonymousreply 73August 2, 2017 4:45 PM

Cheryl's a conservative Republican.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 2, 2017 4:47 PM

I thought Shelly Hack was very good in King of Comedy. I think Tanya Roberts is the pits.

by Anonymousreply 75August 2, 2017 4:51 PM

I worked with Woody and Marty. The others can't touch me.

by Anonymousreply 76August 2, 2017 7:36 PM

Shelley stunk it up in The Stepfather and that movie that she played a blind woman hiding from a killer.

by Anonymousreply 77August 2, 2017 8:24 PM

"No love for any of the reboots?"

The tv series was a piece of crap. So were the movies based on it. I never saw any of them ,but the film clips I saw were enough to turn me off. It was just mindless drivel meant for a particular type of audience. Movies where 100 pound little females beat up men twice their size. A movie Movies with lots of explosions where nobody gets hurt, least of all the cast. They might be blown 20 feet in the air during an explosion, but hey, nothing can keep these tough little chicks down! Stupid movies for stupid people.

by Anonymousreply 78August 2, 2017 8:43 PM

There's yet another reboot in the works to be directed by Elizabeth Banks coming in 2019. I don't think even the most hardcore CA fans are clamoring for another movie or show. Hollywood has no creativity left.

by Anonymousreply 79August 2, 2017 8:54 PM

I enjoyed both CA films and thought they were a lot of fun.

Tried to watch the TV reboot and it was boring.

by Anonymousreply 80August 3, 2017 2:42 AM

Blanche: I'll create a diversion by picking up something seductively, and you two sneak up and give him a karate chop.

Dorothy: Blanche, what do we look like, Charlie's Angels?

Blanche: I have been told I bear a striking resemblance to Miss Cheryl Ladd. Although my bosoms are perkier.

Dorothy: Not even if you were hanging upside down on a trapeze.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 3, 2017 4:19 AM

I'm so excited that many of you have mentioned Margo! She has become quite the DL sensation. She even has her own thread, in case any of you missed it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 3, 2017 4:24 AM

How could Shelley Hack or any actor hold up a DVD release? Esp a show that was made before VHS releases of old shows was a thing.

by Anonymousreply 83August 3, 2017 4:41 AM

Margo's line to Kelly that 'the same thing happened to ME!' when Kelly was detailing the strange man following her and asking her questions has to be one of the funniest line readings in tv history. Oh really Margo!

by Anonymousreply 84August 3, 2017 9:02 AM

I looked up the actor who played Margo - his name was Bruce Watson. According to his IMDB, he suffered from bouts of manic depression which led to his suicide in 2009. It also appears he pretty much stopped acting after that CA appearance.

Other than CA and a guest spot on an episode of Star Trek, it seems his most notable appearance was in a 70's exploitation film called 'The Swinging Barmaids' about a serial killer targeting-you guessed it-barmaids. He played the serial killer, no surprise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85August 3, 2017 11:56 AM

Beamish does not approve of this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86August 6, 2017 4:00 AM

My dream trio of replacement Angels: Beamish, Margo, and Angel Laraine from r19.

by Anonymousreply 87August 6, 2017 4:29 AM

Hack, however, had the life of note...

"After Hack left acting in the late '90s, she entered politics. Hack became a voting registration and polling station supervisor in the 1997 elections in Bosnia-Herzegovina and produced the first-ever televised presidential debates there as well. She also produced the debates in Sarajevo, Mostar, and the two in Banja Luka. She established herself in a new field as a media consultant for pre- and post-conflict countries. Among her duties was to help spread independent media such as newspapers, radio and television, citing the fact that, with autocratic governments, the population is often fed only State television, which delivers biased content. Hack worked in the television sector for ten years, creating ethnically diverse television programs in Eastern Europe. Additionally, she became a member of the Pacific Council on International Policy (PCIP), whose mission is to give a more effective voice to West Coast perspectives on critical global policy issues."

by Anonymousreply 88August 8, 2017 4:17 AM

R88 Good for her. Busy gal! Doing something of substance.

by Anonymousreply 89August 8, 2017 4:21 AM

Both Cheryl Ladd and her scrawny bitch of a daughter are right wing homephobes, Cheryl actually told a male fan who told her he had a crush on her as a kid that she was happy she contributed to his heterosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 90August 8, 2017 7:34 AM

That's not exactly what she said, r90/Kate.

I'm no fan of Ladd and thought she had annoying tics. But show me evidence she's a homophobe rather than twisting something she said to a fan into a gay insult.

by Anonymousreply 91August 8, 2017 11:55 AM

i love Cheryl Ladd. I used to listen to her 2 albums when i was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 92August 8, 2017 11:57 AM

I loved Margo. I used to pretend I was her/him when i used to play Charlie's Angels when I was a boy.

by Anonymousreply 93August 8, 2017 12:02 PM

It's a very odd statement to make R91.

by Anonymousreply 94August 8, 2017 12:06 PM

I think the actual quote by Cheryl is at the end:

[quote] The producers enlisted Cheryl Ladd as the new Angel who was to play a scene opposite the woman she was replacing. “I went on location that day,” recalls Goldberg. “Farrah had decided she wasn’t doing any more bikini stuff, so she wore a chic-looking beach costume. The camera panned over to pick up Cheryl, and she was wearing a very little, very white bikini. She started to walk—very slowly, very deliberately—toward Farrah. I knew then we were going to be fine without Farrah.” Ladd was equally gung ho offstage. “If I can help get anybody through puberty,” she told an interviewer, “I say, ‘Good!’ ”

by Anonymousreply 95August 8, 2017 8:03 PM

This was an on air statement to a caller R95 not a print interview.

by Anonymousreply 96August 8, 2017 8:05 PM

Hey R88, I sold shit at K Mart!

by Anonymousreply 97August 9, 2017 3:20 AM

Around the time the series was cancelled, an interview with Tanya was published in "People." She'd said she was devastated when the series was cancelled. Her cast mates had screamed with laughter when they were all told the news. Tanya had said she cried because the cancellation had meat she and her husband were going back to charging their groceries on their credit cards, while the other ladies would be recipients of residual checks.

by Anonymousreply 98August 9, 2017 3:35 AM

Shelley sure was pretty, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99August 9, 2017 4:31 AM

I still don't understand why they let Kate Jackson simply walk away? Why didn't they torture her and make her do "guest appearances" like they to Farrah? It would have made it easier on accepting a NEW replacement Angel. They got VERY lucky replacing Farrah with Cheryl Ladd. You got to hand it to her, she had BIG shoes to fill - Farrah was an icon and a phenomenal era of television

by Anonymousreply 100August 9, 2017 5:07 AM

I thought that LADD had the going for her. JACKSON was fun to watch, SMITH pretty but bland. FARRAH stupid, HACK a skinny mannequin and TANYA ROBERTS hot but barely tolerable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 9, 2017 5:51 AM

[quote]I still don't understand why they let Kate Jackson simply walk away? Why didn't they torture her and make her do "guest appearances" like they to Farrah? It would have made it easier on accepting a NEW replacement Angel. They got VERY lucky replacing Farrah with Cheryl Ladd. You got to hand it to her, she had BIG shoes to fill - Farrah was an icon and a phenomenal era of television

Basically it was timing. When Farrah left, the show was at the height of its popularity. It was a cultural phenomenon and Farrah was a sensation and key factor of the show's success. ABC and Aaron Spelling were terrified the show would flop without her so they forced her guest appearances as a way of keeping her a part of the show.

You're right about Ladd. She comfortably replaced Fawcett and the show continued to be a hit, I think even getting higher ratings than when Farrah was on. Kate Jackson had been vocally unhappy with the show and difficult to work with ever since Farrah left. There was apparently a sense of relief from all involved when she didn't renew her contract. The show had weathered one replacement so the PTB assumed they could do it again but I think they really underestimated the importance of Jackson's character. She was the only one really believable as a detective and she offered the audience more than just T&A. Without her anchoring everything the show pretty much became a parody of itself.

You're probably right that some guest appearances by her might have helped the transition, but really the show's popularity was on the downward slide anyway. Very few TV sensations sustain that initial level of popularity and Charlie's Angels didn't have much to offer beyond the (at the time) novel concept of gorgeous female detectives.

by Anonymousreply 102August 9, 2017 6:52 AM

Everyone hated Kate (except for Jaclyn) by the time she left and was happy to see her go. She was really insufferable because she wanted to leave to do Kramer vs. Kramer but Spelling wouldn't allow her to do it and the declining quality of the scripts. She was always vocal about the quality (or lack thereof) of the scripts and that only got worse during Season 3. She threw a huge fit during the taping of Marathon Angels. It had a very weak script and much of the episode focused on the skimpily attired marathoners and their bouncing tits.

Of course they didn't realize how hard it would be to replace her.

by Anonymousreply 103August 9, 2017 10:11 AM

If Shelley had started the season looking like that, r99, I think audiences would have been more accepting.

She went through the first half of her season with a hairstyle that was quite off putting.

by Anonymousreply 104August 9, 2017 11:52 AM

I don't care what anybody says... I liked Shelley Hack as Tiffany Wells.

by Anonymousreply 105August 9, 2017 12:00 PM

It really was a pretty bad show all around. It should've been full on camp. Shelly does look gorgeous with that sleeker look above.

by Anonymousreply 106August 9, 2017 12:00 PM

Tiffany Welles, expert gun handler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107August 9, 2017 12:14 PM

Has not aged well at all!!! Not for me, anyway. A curiosity piece at best.

by Anonymousreply 108August 9, 2017 12:17 PM

I have all 5 seasons on DVD. Love it. I was obsessed with Charlie's Angels as a small child. Had the dolls too.

by Anonymousreply 109August 9, 2017 12:27 PM

[quote]If Shelley had started the season looking like that, [R99], I think audiences would have been more accepting.

Agreed. And if she had actually been in the first few eps more substantially. It is a challenge for audiences to connect with someone they rarely see and who is poorly defined and developed.

by Anonymousreply 110August 9, 2017 12:42 PM

"Two graduated from the police academy and the other from a top school for models" was so cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 111August 9, 2017 8:10 PM

"Two graduated from the police academy and the other from a top school for models" That was the nail in the coffin. and they get some "special" PI license for her to work with Charlie? PULEAZE Why was Patti D'Arbanville featured during the first Hawaii episodes when Roberts started? She is one ugly woman. She had like this dumb 4th Angel vibe going on the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 112August 10, 2017 1:27 AM

I still found Tanya more believable as a detective than Shelley. She was way too prim and high maintenance to have been a cop or a detective.

Aaron spelling said that Season 5 would most likely be the last season before filming even began on it (see newspaper article below). The writing was on the wall, ratings were down big time, Jaclyn was leaving at the end of the season and they would have enough episodes for a good syndication deal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 10, 2017 1:45 AM

Oh and from the article above, Tanya must be fibbing about her age, they had he being 27 at the time of the article and would make her birth year 1952.

by Anonymousreply 114August 10, 2017 1:47 AM

I liked Cheryl Ladd as Katherine Heigl's bitchy mom in UNFORGETTABLE

by Anonymousreply 115August 10, 2017 2:07 AM

Shelley's debut performance was during the infamous Love Boat Angels crossover. Talk about a confusing miss-mash of different tones, actors and plot lines!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 10, 2017 2:29 AM

R100, When Farrah walked after one season, Aaron Spelling sued her for breaching her contract. As part of the settlement, Farrah agreed to guest star in several episodes. Not so with Kate. She outstayed her welcome, and when her contract was up, both parties agreed to part ways.

by Anonymousreply 117August 10, 2017 2:34 AM

Why did everyone in the 70's think that obnoxious blonde bitch in R116's pick was so hot, she has big tits but her face screams man in drag!

by Anonymousreply 118August 10, 2017 2:36 AM

R118 Judy Landers was a butterface long before the term was coined. I think her sister Audrey got the looks and talent of the two.

by Anonymousreply 119August 10, 2017 2:39 AM

I think both the Landers sisters are right wing cunts now to top it off.

by Anonymousreply 120August 10, 2017 2:40 AM

Imagine if Judy got cast as the new angel instead of Shelley or Tanya? It could've been much worse!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 10, 2017 2:49 AM

Jackson left before her 5 year contract was over - Spelling must have REALLY wanted her gone to let her out of her 2 years left on the show. Kate is never heard from, WTF is she up to these days? Ladd and Smith kind of embraced their time on Charlie's Angels, Kate is still waiting for the next "Kramer vs Kramer" role to act in I guess..

by Anonymousreply 122August 10, 2017 2:52 AM

I am actually looking forward to a new Charlie's Angels incarnation - IF the writing is at least decent. Had high hopes for the 2011 TV revival too. But that show must have been planned as a tax write-off. Why else would they have given the show the the worst writers and worst actors. What were they thinking? The only reason I made it though two episodes was Ramon Rodriguez. He was just so handsome... Unlike the poster upthreat who wants a campy revival, I wish they go a more serious route. I don't mind comedic elements but I prefer them to rather hit the tone of L&O SVU than for example the campy dreck they are throwing together for the new Dynasty. If they hit the tone somewhere in between I am good. That campy style is great for short term buzz, but it doesn't get the show into a third or fourth year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123August 10, 2017 3:02 AM

Kate has been working on her autobiography for several years and the date keeps getting pushed back. December 2020 is the current planned release date, if it ever gets released.

by Anonymousreply 124August 10, 2017 3:02 AM

Cheryl's career experienced moderate success with the 1989 release of the SciFi time-travel film, "Millennium," also starring Kris Kristofferson and Daniel J. Travanti.

Such a good movie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 10, 2017 3:05 AM

How many of you had this poster in your bedroom?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 10, 2017 4:06 AM

R121 Shelley, or even Kate would have struggled to top Judy Landers riveting performance as "Chicken Girl".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 10, 2017 4:11 AM

Why wouldn't Spelling give Kate Jackson a few days off to do Kramer Versus Kramer? The part really isnt that big.

by Anonymousreply 128August 10, 2017 4:29 AM

"Web Extra: Which of TV’s Charlie’s Angels is really the devil? Free answer: The replacement angel, Cheryl Ladd. She had been booked on The Frank DeCaro Show on the gay channel Sirius OutQ, but then her publicist called to say that OutQ is “not her demographic” and canceled her appearance and another interview she was going to do with the same channel. Clueless? Phobic? Yep, and just plain moronic, considering she was going to promote her new book on being a lady golfer! What could appeal to lesbian listeners more than that?"

by Anonymousreply 129August 10, 2017 4:32 AM

Ladd cancelled her appearance on the gay channel, but did appear on CBN to promote her book. She has been interviewed there multiple times, on Robertson's show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130August 10, 2017 4:34 AM

She failed to mention there that her new husband, with whom she'd 'found Christ", had been her best friend's husband with whom she was having an affair.

by Anonymousreply 131August 10, 2017 4:37 AM

Kate Jackson was not shown the door by Spelling. They were friends. She'd helped create the show. The original concept was called "The Alley Cats", about three women who lived in an alley, wielded whips, and were sent on missions with their male boss. Spelling wanted Jackson for the Kelly character, but Jackson preferred Sabrina. She and Spelling agreed the concept was wrong, that it should be classier. It was Jackson's idea to call them Angels (from a print on the wall in Spelling's office), and she came up with the idea that the boss should never be seen. She helped retool the show. Originally, Smith was almost not cast because they wanted a blonde, brunette, and redhead, but Jackson and Spelling agreed that Smith was the one with whom she and Farrah had chemistry. Jackson went on to produce other series and TV projects, she was a huge success.

by Anonymousreply 132August 10, 2017 4:45 AM

R128 Spelling did not block Jackson from taking the role. There was an issue with scheduling, with the movie shoots conflicting wit the series shoots. But it was Sherri Lansing who nixed Jackson, because she wanted Streep, who'd been originally cast as Hoffman's one-night stand.

by Anonymousreply 133August 10, 2017 4:50 AM

Jackson and Spelling's relationship likely began back when she used to do "The Rookies" for him on ABC.

by Anonymousreply 134August 10, 2017 4:50 AM

Thanks God for Sherri Lansing - All we would have seen is "Sabrina Duncan" on that movie screen. Jackson was a nasty piece of work and kept Ladd out of many reunion specials. American loves an underdog, and Ladd was really able to step into Farrahs shoes. What I DON'T understand is why the fuck wasn't Jackson & Smith upset that Farrah left them high and dry?

Ladd's wasn't having an affair, but her husband was married to Breda Russell previously - "Piano in the Dark" They can be seen singing back-up for Ladd on Midnight Special.

I love how Shelly hack wasn't notified that she was let go - She heard it from the media.

by Anonymousreply 135August 10, 2017 5:50 AM

[quote]I don't care what anybody says... I liked Shelley Hack as Tiffany Wells.

[quote]Agreed. And if she had actually been in the first few eps more substantially. It is a challenge for audiences to connect with someone they rarely see and who is poorly defined and developed.

Shelley Hack was by no means a great actress but I also felt at the time, and still do whenever I see the reruns, that she was given no chance to prove herself by the producers, who sidelined her virtually from her first appearance in the series. Perhaps she did (as reported) had a hard time in the beginning with learning lines and such, but I'm sure if her part hadn't been reduced to basically a smile per episode, maybe she would've gotten better. Like Kate before her, she gave off a vibe of being a smart girl, not just some vapid beauty queen, and I don't think playing dumb would've been her lane. But the producers just did not seem to give a shit about her from jump and all of her episodes, save for the one or two that season in which she was the focus, were all about either Jaclyn or Cheryl with Shelley reduced to holding a gun on some perp at the end and yelling "freeze." (Think of the episode in which the Angels were lured to an island where they were hunted by a psychopath. What was Shelley's role? She was knocked unconscious into the river early on and thought dead by her colleagues for most of the episode.)

I recall reading an article at the end of that season (I think it had been in one of those Rona Barrett mags back in the day, which I bought religiously) stating that the producers of "Charlie's Angels" had decided to dismiss Shelley Hack due to her inability to boost the show's sagging ratings. Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 136August 10, 2017 5:56 AM

From what I recall from the Charlie's Angels casebook (yes I own it) the deal to cast Hack was reached rather late and the writers weren't sure if they'd have a third Angel for the 4th season premiere so they purposely underwrote the part. After that it quickly became clear she was a terrible actress so they continued to minimize her role. They even offered to get her acting lessons which she refused. Pretty embarrassing she couldn't even hold her own with the low acting standards of Charlie's Angels.

Hack didn't give an interview for the book so I'd say in her defense that even an accomplished actress would have a hard time creating a memorable character out of the show's weak writing.

by Anonymousreply 137August 10, 2017 6:45 AM

I think Jackson and Smith knew Farrah was under pressure from then hubby Lee Majors. Remember the contract clause where she had to be done in time to get home and make his dinner??!!! Seriously Lee's jealousy probably ruined CA for Farrah more than anything else. He was now Mr. Farrah Fawcett-Majors and kudos for Farrah for getting away from him. The damage had been done though.

by Anonymousreply 138August 10, 2017 8:56 AM

Shelley Hack was my favorite replacement Angel. When I was a little boy and I'd play Charlie's Angels, I'd pretend I was Kelly (Jaclyn Smith) or Tiffany Welles (Shelley Hack).

by Anonymousreply 139August 10, 2017 11:54 AM

Is this Cheryl's husband?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140August 10, 2017 11:57 AM

god he's ugly, r140. Brenda Russell looks like shit too there. she looked much better later on.

by Anonymousreply 141August 10, 2017 11:59 AM

A bit off-topic, but I don't understand what happened to Kate Jackson's career. I'm not one who thinks she would have become some huge film star over time, but she's talented. I loved Jill Danko on The Rookies, then there was Charlie's Angels. Next she had a successful 4 year run with Scarecrow & Mrs. King, then made a good effort with the sitcom Baby Boom.

After that, what happened? it can't be just the cancer... something's just off. Was it Jackson herself? She made terrible choices in husbands, then appears to have gone under the knife for some very bad plastic surgery and now the long, long overdue autobiography.

Personally, Jackson was a TV actress I enjoyed watching and years ago she seemed like an interesting person - what's going on?

by Anonymousreply 142August 10, 2017 1:10 PM

From everything I've heard/read about Kate over the years, the bitterness about her career (and specifically the whole "Kramer" thing) drove her a little cuckoo. But you're right, R142, that she was a very good actress.

by Anonymousreply 143August 10, 2017 1:24 PM

Scarecrow was a piece of shit and Kate was thoroughly miscast.

by Anonymousreply 144August 10, 2017 4:31 PM

Why would they undercut Hack and not Roberts? Roberts is no better an actress. I'd say she's worse.

by Anonymousreply 145August 10, 2017 5:03 PM

Hug fats girls. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 146August 10, 2017 5:05 PM

Remember the contract clause where she had to be done in time to get home and make his dinner??!!!

Is that for real? I mean even if I don't take this line/clause literally, what rookie actress would be allowed to have a clause for special accommodations in their first year contract?

by Anonymousreply 147August 10, 2017 7:46 PM

Honestly, I think Farrah just had "it" and the producers went along with her demands until Farrah decided to pull the plug and quit. Who the fuck cast this show? Passing up Michelle Pfeiffer & Kim Basinger for fucking Shelly Hack and Tanya Roberts? What the hell were they thinking?

by Anonymousreply 148August 11, 2017 5:26 AM

There were rumors that they approached Farrah in late 1980/early 1981 to potentially return for season 6. Her movie career had stalled big time and it would be a few years before she turned it around with The Burning Bed. I'm guessing the talks didn't go far and she wanted too much money or something so the show was canceled soon afterwards. I think it would've been interesting to see a team of Farrah, Cheryl and Tanya. Not so sure it would've been enough to revitalize the show though.

by Anonymousreply 149August 11, 2017 6:17 AM

R148 Kim and Michelle were nothing special at that point in their careers. I've never really thought Kim was that good of an actress. Michelle turned into a very good one.

by Anonymousreply 150August 11, 2017 6:19 AM

Cheryl Ladd TV Star woman

by Anonymousreply 151August 11, 2017 6:20 AM

Julie Rogers graduated from a top school for models.

by Anonymousreply 152August 11, 2017 10:56 AM

Are you making fun, r152?

by Anonymousreply 153August 11, 2017 11:08 AM

Tiffany Welles is from Boston, MA.

by Anonymousreply 154August 11, 2017 11:11 AM

Kelly and Kris treated Tiffany like she was a piece of gum on their shoe, yet they had the audacity to call her 'Tiff' as if they had been friends from college! Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 155August 11, 2017 11:25 AM

The problem with Tiffany was that she was suppose to fill the Sabrina role, the smart one, and instead they teamed her with Kelly. Like in the episode "Angels on the Streets" they had her and Kelly go undercover as hookers. It should have been Kris and Kelly as hookers and Tiffany as the music student. I love Shelly Hack but she wasn't the best actress. But she did radiate sophistication. They could have written scripts that catered to that.

by Anonymousreply 156August 11, 2017 11:37 AM

I liked Tiffany wells in the second half of season 4. 1980 to be exact. I didn't care too much for her in 1979. I did like the episode in 1979 where they were stranded and hunted on that remote island.

by Anonymousreply 157August 11, 2017 11:40 AM

Kate mad bad choices in husbands because she was a lesbian. Right?

by Anonymousreply 158August 11, 2017 11:49 AM

R156 I enjoyed Tiffany the most "Angels on the Streets". Watching Shelley Hack as a hooker was hilarious. Walking down the street twirling her purse around and tough-talking the pimp (in a stilted delivery) "I was talking to you!". Both she and Jaclyn were of course totally unbelievable as street hookers. Jaclyn did have the camel toe though.

by Anonymousreply 159August 11, 2017 12:19 PM

Did someone say camel toe?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160August 11, 2017 3:43 PM

I love Shelly in that episode too, but I felt it did her and the character a disservice to put her in situations she was not suited for.

by Anonymousreply 161August 11, 2017 5:08 PM

R160 LOL. They photo shopped out the camel toes on the Season 4 DVD cover. I think all of the angels had a camel toe at one point on the show due to those tights 70s era style pants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162August 11, 2017 5:28 PM

Shelley Hack was cast at the last minute, and the agreement with the producers and network had been that they would tailor the character to the actress they picked. This left the writers, who needed to have the first batch of scripts completed before Hack was cast, with a problem. The new angel -- who's personality had yet to be decided -- was written lightly and without personality, with the intention to punch of the scripts later to add in an actual character for her. But that never really happened.

So, for the first third of the season, Hack was working from scripts that were specifically designed to be nondescript about her character. This left her at a disadvantage coming out of the gate. At the same time, Jaclyn Smith and Cheryl Ladd were getting burned out from the workload, so the decision was made to focus on one or two of the angels each week, with the other(s) written lightly so that they had an easier work week once a month or so. This also gave each of them a chance to shine with a bigger storyline a few times through the season. But for Hack, this meant that even after she got through the first batch of scripts that had been written with no personality for her character, she was sidelined for additional episodes that focused more intently on Smith or Ladd. Hack got a bum deal. And as noted, her styling was very off for the first half of the season, and on a show where appearance was 75% of the game, that left her in a weak position.

by Anonymousreply 163August 11, 2017 5:49 PM

An early post said Hack basically dropped out of sight while Robert went on to Bond and That 70s Show, conveniently leaving out that in between Roberts' bread n butter was soft porn (sorry, "erotic thrillers"). Hack worked well into the 1990s, and in more respectable, though no doubt mostly dull, fare.

It must have been devastating to get booted from Night Court after a day. It was a strange business. Is Hack a bit like Cybill - seemingly lacking in self awareness?

by Anonymousreply 164August 11, 2017 6:07 PM

Speaking of Foley, she might have been a good replacement. Scrappy, streetwise and quirky in comparison to more traditional glamour girls Ladd and Smith

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165August 11, 2017 6:14 PM

Didn't Joanne Cassidy audition at one point? She would have been perfect as Kate's replacement as "the smart one with a side of lez". I remember she did go on to guest star in Season 5 in one of the Hawaii episodes.

by Anonymousreply 166August 11, 2017 7:47 PM

Shelley Hack also starred in another ABC TV series a few years after "Charlie's Angels" called "Jack & Mike." It only lasted a season as I recall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167August 11, 2017 11:31 PM

Hack also starred in the CBS series Cutter to Houston in 1983 with junior hot piece Alec Baldwin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168August 11, 2017 11:40 PM

...and as mentioned upthread, she was the female lead in Night Court for long enough to take one publicity shot and do a table read. She never filmed a scene.

Hack had more network shows go to series post-CA than any other angel. Somebody liked her, in the same way that somebody liked Carlene Watkins and Nancy Travis, other charisma-vacuum blondes who inexplicably got series after series during the same time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169August 11, 2017 11:48 PM

Night Court had a very hard time settling on it's female cast for the first few seasons before finally settling on Markie Post and Marsha Warfield.

by Anonymousreply 170August 12, 2017 12:15 AM

SUCK IT, BITCHES!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171August 12, 2017 12:21 AM

SUCK IT HARD!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172August 12, 2017 12:22 AM

Ellen Foley was too flat chested to be a good Angel. And wasn't she doing that 3GIRLS3 show with Debbie Allen and Mimi Kennedy? What happened to that show.

by Anonymousreply 173August 12, 2017 12:47 AM

I never understood the appeal of Shelley Hack as a model. I thought she was fug, something about her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 174August 12, 2017 12:55 AM

R74's linked article is 22 years old. Have something fresher, r74?

by Anonymousreply 175August 12, 2017 1:20 AM

[quote]Her name was Claudia Jennings.

If she'd gotten the job, maybe she wouldn't have been killed in that car crash.

by Anonymousreply 176August 12, 2017 1:21 AM

No one ever compared to Farrah. Watch any episode from the first season. She was incredible

by Anonymousreply 177August 12, 2017 2:33 AM

Nobody but Farrah has ever looked good with her Season One iconic hairstyle .

Farrah has never looked good except for when she wore her Season One iconic hairstyle.

by Anonymousreply 178August 12, 2017 2:44 AM

r155, I agree they were indifferent with Tiffany. They seem to be ignoring her here.

Also, this pic gives us a glimpse of Tiffany's hideous hairdo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179August 12, 2017 4:27 AM

The look on Kelly's face says it all: "Bitch, please"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180August 12, 2017 4:30 AM

Loser.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181August 12, 2017 4:46 AM

[quote]Is Hack a bit like Cybill - seemingly lacking in self awareness?

There's an anecdote regarding this in the Charlie's Angels book I mentioned earlier. Dick Sargent was a guest on Shelley's first episode and while they were sitting at dinner one night, Sargent was chatting with her and asked if she was intimidated or nervous stepping into a hit show and replacing a popular character. "Not really," was her casual reply. Sargent exchanged a look with a writer or producer at the table like, you guys are in for it.

by Anonymousreply 182August 12, 2017 5:29 AM

Hack claimed she didn't know how popular the show was and that she didn't own a TV. I find it hard to believe she never heard or read about it some way. The show was huge at the time.

The crew (The writers and Nolan Miller especially) grew to hate her, which is probably why she didn't get a second chance. Nolan Miller was close to Aaron Spelling and he grew to hate her fairly quickly, after being her biggest cheerleader initially.

by Anonymousreply 183August 12, 2017 5:42 AM

They really did go in a completely opposite direction by casting Tanya after letting Shelley go. Unfortunately it was a really stupid premise. She could have still been the streetwise Angel...who graduated from a police academy in Detroit or New Jersey.

I suppose that Drew Barrymore's character in the film version was an amalgamation of Kate (the leader) and Tanya (the streetwise one). Cameron was a mix of Farrah/Cheryl, and Lucy a combo of Shelley (rich, elite) and Jaclyn (sophisticated).

by Anonymousreply 184August 12, 2017 3:01 PM

Meet Shelley and Tanya in person! I see some DLers were able to attend this fan fest!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185August 12, 2017 3:05 PM

Shelley Hack attempting a serious role in the movie Blind Fear. A role where her stiff acting style pays off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186August 12, 2017 3:34 PM

Not the worst actress of the six. Neither Tanya nor Jaclyn could have done this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187August 12, 2017 3:43 PM

Regarding the Shelley/Cybill comparisons, wasn't there an ABC commercial promo where the two appeared on camera together (along with their co-stars) to promote Jack & Mike / Moonlighting which aired back-to-back at one point?

I do recall rumors that Shelley, like Cybill, did not get along with her male lead.

by Anonymousreply 188August 12, 2017 3:55 PM

R187 Tanya supposedly did some off-Broadway work before she landed Charlie's Angels such as Antigone. Not lightweight stuff. Can't comment on the quality of her work in it though since I doubt it was recorded.

by Anonymousreply 189August 12, 2017 10:51 PM

Tanya Roberts in Antigone?

(coughs furball)

by Anonymousreply 190August 12, 2017 11:00 PM

"Tanya Roberts in Antigone" lost out to "Ruth Buzzi in Evita" in the Golden Girls writing room.

by Anonymousreply 191August 12, 2017 11:25 PM

[quote]They really did go in a completely opposite direction by casting Tanya after letting Shelley go. Unfortunately it was a really stupid premise. She could have still been the streetwise Angel...who graduated from a police academy in Detroit or New Jersey.

I guess I can kinda sorta see what they were going for -- an "untrained professional" using her street smarts in a line of work in which she has absolutely no experience whatsoever. It's kind of how Mrs. Peel was described in the opening of "The Avengers" as a "talented amateur."

by Anonymousreply 192August 13, 2017 1:17 AM

Were there ever any rumors/stories about how Farrah and Cheryl got along when Farrah did her guest appearances? I could easily imagine Kate, Jaclyn and Farrah going the mean girls route and icing Cheryl out (which would fall in line with the rumors that Kate and Jaclyn did that anyway, at least for a while after Cheryl first started).

I also heard that Jaclyn forced the producers to order Tanya to dye her hair so that there wouldn't be two brunettes on the show in the final season.

by Anonymousreply 193August 13, 2017 1:22 AM

R192 I was just thinking of Mrs. Peel (Diana Rigg) today - she was fantastic and really put The Avengers on the map. After she left the show, it was only on for one more season and then was cancelled.

Diana Rigg had that Lightning Rod effect on a show and in television that you only see once in a great while. Unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 194August 13, 2017 1:25 AM

Honor Blackman revitalised The Avengers. Diana Rigg didn't drop the ball, unlike Linda Thorson and the producers.

by Anonymousreply 195August 13, 2017 1:33 AM

If anyone wanted Tanya to dye her hair I imagine it was Spelling. He always had a hard-on for the idea of one blonde, one brunette and one red-headed Angel. While I wouldn't call her a red-head it was definitely as close as Spelling ever got.

I swear I remember reading complaints that Cheryl Ladd and Shelley Hack looked too much alike during their season but maybe that was just my brother.

by Anonymousreply 196August 13, 2017 1:47 AM

Must have been your brother. Shelley was like a foot taller than Cheryl for one thing.

by Anonymousreply 197August 13, 2017 1:57 AM

I just met Shelley at a Hallmark Channel party in Beverly Hills; she was really nice and looked great given that CA was 37 years ago

by Anonymousreply 198August 13, 2017 2:33 AM

In the last year, Helen Lawson was a replacement angel for a few episodes. Her Angel, Gertie, was just a mess. They don't even include those episodes in syndication any more.

by Anonymousreply 199August 13, 2017 2:36 AM

During the fifth and last season of Charlie's Angels when Tanya Roberts was brought on, they only made 16 episodes. The ratings had dropped continually and when they had over 100 episodes made (in this case 110 in all), they pulled the plug on the Angels because they had enough episodes for syndication purposes.

by Anonymousreply 200August 13, 2017 2:58 AM

r184, I used to think the same thing about Julie being from a grittier city or town. The intro would have been more realistic.

"Once upon a time there were three little girls who went to the Police Academy. One in Los Angeles. One in San Francisco. The other in Newark."

by Anonymousreply 201August 13, 2017 4:09 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202August 13, 2017 4:16 AM

Watching this show now is pure comedy and escape. The plots, costumes, sets, bad editing, bad dialogue, bad guest stares. I guess I didn't realize how camp it was 30 years ago. They just don't make 'em like this anymore nor would the censors let them get away with some of this today. What an amazing contribution to American culture and entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 203August 13, 2017 4:23 AM

The Replacement Angels, courtesy of Photoshop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204August 13, 2017 4:23 AM

I imagine the cast of 'Antigone' with young Tanya Roberts looking something like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205August 13, 2017 4:29 AM

Yes R203 it is a hoot watching the episodes today. What I find hilarious is how easy it is to spot the stuntmen in wigs. And the same sound effects over and over esp the same scream and squealing tires.

by Anonymousreply 206August 13, 2017 4:37 AM

Julie, Tiffany and Jill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207August 13, 2017 4:42 AM

How did Hack get into King of Comedy? All these bad roles and then suddenly she is working with Deniro and Scorsese on their follow up to Raging Bull. (And she did pretty well too.

by Anonymousreply 208August 13, 2017 4:45 AM

In my gayling dreams.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209August 13, 2017 4:47 AM

r207: that's Julie, Tiffany and Kris.

by Anonymousreply 210August 13, 2017 4:47 AM

R209 that would be a massive case they all would be working on.

by Anonymousreply 211August 13, 2017 4:56 AM

The poster upthread wasn't lying about Farrah being nothing without the flick, c.f. r209

by Anonymousreply 212August 13, 2017 2:17 PM

Cartoon Julie and Tiffany are in totally the wrong outfits for their eras.

by Anonymousreply 213August 13, 2017 2:18 PM

I presume Hack got the role for the same reason Cybill got Taxi Driver (minus the big ass). Do Italians have a term akin to "shiksa goddess"?

by Anonymousreply 214August 13, 2017 2:20 PM

When Kate met Tanya.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215August 13, 2017 8:52 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216August 13, 2017 8:53 PM

R215, that's cool and somewhat surprising that Kate went to a convention and let herself be photographed with Tanya. Surprised they hadn't met before then.

by Anonymousreply 217August 13, 2017 9:02 PM

Kate probably would have gotten along fine had they worked together on CA - two broads who like to cuss up a storm.

by Anonymousreply 218August 13, 2017 9:18 PM

Bringing it back to OP's question: I actually think Demi Moore's angel was rather weak. I am OK with the idea of an angel going rogue. But she just wasn't right for it in my opinion. Maybe it was the writing that turned me off. Madison had a lot of anger that wasn't plausible to me. And in a way she did way too much "mustache twirling". For that I guess I can blame the director.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219August 13, 2017 9:37 PM

Jaclyn and Cher need to stage an intervention for poor Kate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220August 13, 2017 10:56 PM

Is Kate still "living in squalor"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221August 14, 2017 12:28 AM

Let Our Hoarding Angel Live!

by Anonymousreply 222August 14, 2017 12:36 AM

Looks like Kate's eye work settled at least. She was looking strange there for a while.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223August 14, 2017 1:21 AM

Take it or leave it but the three top Angels will always be the original girls that started the popular, original series: Sabrina (Kate Jackson), Kelly (Jaclyn Smith), and Jill (the incomparable Farrah Fawcett). They'll always reign.

by Anonymousreply 224August 14, 2017 1:26 AM

Young Kate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225August 14, 2017 1:32 AM

R225 Young Kate (Jackson) got her big break in show business by appearing in the iconic, gothic soap opera "Dark Shadows". Initially she played a ghost without any lines called Daphne. About the last six months of the series she got to speak, and she became one of the big breakout stars of DS.

by Anonymousreply 226August 14, 2017 1:45 AM

This is the original version of the groovy cartoon at r207. It features the original three - Kelly, Sabrina, Jill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227August 14, 2017 4:01 AM

Any chance in hell that we will see any type of Charlie's Angels reunion?

by Anonymousreply 228August 30, 2017 12:37 AM

R228 They're all getting older now and the most popular angel, Farrah Fawcett, is dead. Don't look for any reunion unless the ladies are really desperate to get back in the limelight again. Charlie's Angels wasn't exactly Shakespeare.

by Anonymousreply 229August 30, 2017 12:44 AM

They wanted to do a reunion in the 80s and 90s but couldn't get 3 Angels they wanted at the times there were talks of it. Farrah and Kate always said no, Jaclyn and Cheryl were open to it, and they weren't interested in using Shelley or Tanya.

by Anonymousreply 230August 30, 2017 1:10 AM

Farrah, Kate and Jaclyn all presented an Emmy together a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 231August 30, 2017 1:24 AM

The show still worked when Cheryl Ladd joined. It couldn't survive Kate's departure. She was the grounding element--the "smart Angel". The worst thing they did in the Shelly Hack years was split up the Angels too much. The Angels were always symbolic of female unity. They had too many episodes where they were split up or fighting (the Patrick Duffy episodes where Kelly and Chris were fighting over a man). Lazy writing and a failure to understand that the women had to remain united misfired and led to declining ratings. I really don't think it was Shelly Hack's fault, but she got the blame. There's nothing Tanya Roberts could have done after the ratings fell so far. Yeah, the Shelly Hack season finished #20 in the ratings, but the individual ratings of the show toward the end of the Shelly Hack season really dropped off. It was only the strength of the early episodes that year and curiosity of the new Angel that helped that season to a Top 20 finish. By 1980, the country was changing and the Angels were tired.

by Anonymousreply 232August 30, 2017 1:24 AM

It really wasn't Shelley's fault. I'm surprised though that they couldn't seem to find a way to style her. As one of the first super models I'm surprised she put up with the shitty way they made her look. Shelley's look was completely East Coast and they didn't seem to know how to do that. My god who thought of putting someone like Shelley in spandex? They got her look right once and it was for a photo shoot. Her she is styled properly and she is clearly the prettiest. The one you eyes go directly too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233August 30, 2017 1:50 AM

I mean this is Shelley's look. It had no place in Charlie's Angels. Smith and Ladd could were anything Hack couldn't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234August 30, 2017 1:53 AM

What?

by Anonymousreply 235August 30, 2017 3:29 AM

Let the truth be known. I was offered the part of the new Angel after Kate Jackson departed. I thought it would be a wonderful opportunity to hold a gun and say "Freeze!" and occasionally kick men in the balls. But then I found out that bitchy Joan Fontaine would be making several guest appearances and I turned the series down flat. Never! I would have rather done a remake of "Straight Jacket".

by Anonymousreply 236August 30, 2017 4:32 AM

If they end up making a NEW Charlie's Angels movie, Im sure that Smith and Ladd will have cameos

by Anonymousreply 237August 30, 2017 4:39 AM

They already made two r237 without any cameos. Why would you be so sure that Smith and Ladd would appear in a new one. (which I doubt there will be, the new TV version only ran like 3 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 238August 30, 2017 4:48 AM

Jaclyn Smith was the only TV angel to appear in one of the feature films. Jaclyn had a short cameo in the second movie "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" (2003).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239August 30, 2017 4:52 AM

As a kid it confused me that David Doyle played Bosley yet Tom Bosley was on Happy Days (and they looked alike a little bit)

by Anonymousreply 240August 30, 2017 4:58 AM

Actually, Kate was asked to do a cameo in one of the movies, but she wanted to be the villain. She was turned down.

by Anonymousreply 241August 30, 2017 5:07 AM

Kate must be nuts - Bitter old woman who would piss on her own legacy

by Anonymousreply 242August 30, 2017 5:52 AM

yes r242 apparently so

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243August 30, 2017 7:10 AM

R240, me, too!!! I thought I was the only one.

by Anonymousreply 244August 30, 2017 9:05 AM

Would have loved to be on set the day Farrah had to show up after walking out the first season. Talk about humble. Even worse, returning the 4th season and having to work with Shelly Hack when the show was on decline!

by Anonymousreply 245August 30, 2017 2:56 PM

He's a cop or a nurse.

by Anonymousreply 246August 30, 2017 6:02 PM

R234, I dunno...that look is totally working for me!

by Anonymousreply 247August 30, 2017 11:24 PM

R239 That was beautiful! Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 248August 31, 2017 4:08 AM

Seriously why didn't they ever cast a man as one of the Angels? Men can be angels too.

by Anonymousreply 249August 31, 2017 11:31 AM

I'm a Shelley Hack fan. I liked her portrayal of Tiffany Welles in season 4.

by Anonymousreply 250August 31, 2017 1:05 PM

R249, I think they tried that with that Barbara Stanwyck episode in which she played a female Charlie-type character who employed three handsome male detectives. I think it was called "Toni's Boys" or something like that. It was supposed to be a spinoff series but apparently was not picked up by the network.

by Anonymousreply 251August 31, 2017 1:17 PM

Also, IIRC, it aired during the Shelley Hack season.

by Anonymousreply 252August 31, 2017 1:18 PM

Really wish I could see the footage of Sada Thompson's Loraine, I think they should have given her a shot.

by Anonymousreply 253August 31, 2017 3:13 PM

Charlies' mAngels?

by Anonymousreply 254August 31, 2017 8:13 PM

Yes, Charlies'. In my spinoff, there are multiple Charlies.

by Anonymousreply 255August 31, 2017 8:14 PM

Jaclyn was barely phoning it in during season five. In this promo shot, she looks like she didn't have time to change after her shift at the makeup counter at Ace Hardware.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256September 4, 2017 2:43 AM

Yes Aaron Spelling, the man who gave us Love Boat, CHARLiE'S ANGELS and Tori Spelling. . . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257September 4, 2017 2:52 AM

The ratings for season 5 were horrific: It ranked 59th out of 65 shows.

I can't think of another hit show that fell from the very top of the ratings all the way to the basement.

by Anonymousreply 258September 4, 2017 3:45 AM

Season 4 ratings decline helped the further Season 5 ratings decline a lot. It only ranked at #20 because of the first half of the season did well because they had The Love Boat Crossover for the season premiere, and strong episodes like Angel Hunt, Caged Angel and Angels on the Street (plus the latter two had the titillation factor) . Ratings dropped 60% from the beginning to the end of the season. They also moved it around a few times during Season 5, including to Saturday night. People were just over the show, too many changes and it was obvious most involved with the show had given up already.

by Anonymousreply 259September 4, 2017 4:25 AM

i have the first season on dvd I would like 2 and 3 also.

by Anonymousreply 260September 4, 2017 4:39 AM

Nobody wants to admit the real reason for season 5's disastrous ratings: transphobic audiences rejected attempted replacement Angel Margo. Angel on the Line was originally intended as the season 4 finale, with Margo joining the team after a huge twist revealed Shelley Hack's character to be a double agent sent to take out the other Angels and ruin the Townsend Agency. Margo would have been the first positive transgender character on network TV but a Moral Majority protest, ironically supported by Olympian Bruce Jenner, spooked the network and advertisers so ABC and Spelling opted to go in a safer direction. The actor who played Margo was so devastated at losing the part that he left the industry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261September 4, 2017 5:39 AM

R256 Jaclyn was probably tired of doing that intro walk. That would have been the fourth time she had to do it. I'm sure she was ovah.

by Anonymousreply 262September 4, 2017 6:57 AM

[quote]but a Moral Majority protest, ironically supported by Olympian Bruce Jenner,

Bruce and or Caitlyn is/was such an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 263September 4, 2017 7:13 AM

R46, R48, R74, R90, R91, R91, R120, R129, R131

Cheryl Ladd is indeed a far right Christian bigot. She has appeared on the 700 Club numerous times over the past 25 years.

She has also been seen at several Republican National Conventions over the years.

I don't know what networks revealed her in the audience but I bet you could find her if they are on You Tube.

I'd try the '88 to '96 years first if anyone is still doubting/ interested.

by Anonymousreply 264September 4, 2017 7:41 PM

Datalounge Pot has spoken. Off to the reeducation camp for Ms. Ladd.

by Anonymousreply 265September 4, 2017 7:43 PM

We have the chance to right past wrongs with the next Charlie's Angels reboot. One slot is reserved for Loraine. Another slot for Margo. What about the third angel?

by Anonymousreply 266September 4, 2017 7:55 PM

R266, I'd like to nominate Rachel Dratch as the third angel. She's always fun and I'm certain she'd be a great mystery-solver. And she wouldn't be so dumb to get shot in the head multiple times within a few years, like SOME people.

by Anonymousreply 267September 4, 2017 8:03 PM

They need to have butch, predatory lez as the 3rd new Angel. Big Aggie or Zora would've been good choices, but there portrayers are dead. Mary Woronov should return as Max...err Maxine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268September 4, 2017 8:21 PM

I agree with r87! I hope the next trio of Angels will be:

Beamish, Margo, and Angel Laraine from r19.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269September 5, 2017 3:31 AM

Beamish was a meanie poo !

by Anonymousreply 270September 5, 2017 4:11 AM

The third needs to be young to balance out Angel Laraine. The autistic kid, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 271September 5, 2017 4:17 AM

The worst replacement Angel ever was counterfeit Kelly.

Counterfeit Kris and especially counterfeit Bree were both outstanding, but the one they cast to be the lookalike of my mistress? Bitch, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272September 5, 2017 4:18 AM

Well, Cheryl Ladd's only daughter is a childless 42-year-old spinster / D-list actress, so Ms. Family Values got hers in the end.

by Anonymousreply 273September 5, 2017 4:59 AM

I don't do the butt sex like you homosexuals. I don't get it in the end.

by Anonymousreply 274September 5, 2017 10:19 AM

Beamish looked like she could mess someone up. I wouldn't mess with her pussy.

by Anonymousreply 275September 5, 2017 11:27 AM

Vote for Tranny Margo - stylish with the clutch purse - as the new Angel had Season 6 happened. I can hear her saying 'freeze'!

by Anonymousreply 276September 5, 2017 11:36 AM

Margo has the tendency to make people feel..... uncomfortable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277September 6, 2017 3:40 AM

Aren't they ready for a NEW Charlies Angels reboot?

by Anonymousreply 278October 17, 2017 12:02 AM

Yes and here it is!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279October 17, 2017 4:53 AM

I think Elizabeth Banks is doing a reboot - Producing it, not acting in the film. I hope they do a retro feel

by Anonymousreply 280October 18, 2017 3:34 AM

Correct, r280. The new "Charlie's Angels" movie will be directed by Elizabeth Banks (Pitch Perfect 2) and is scheduled for a Summer 2019 release. They haven't announced who will be playing the Angels, but the latest names mentioned were Kristen Stewart and Lupita Nyong'o.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281October 18, 2017 4:13 AM

You have got to be kidding - Kristen Stewart? God, she makes Shelly Hack look good!

by Anonymousreply 282October 18, 2017 4:30 AM

Kristen Stewart?! Charlie's Angels is supposed to be FUN.

by Anonymousreply 283October 18, 2017 4:36 AM

Um, Lupita Nyong'o is not a replacement for Cheryl Ladd.. Cheryl is a singer, dancer, and actress who has appeared on broadway!

by Anonymousreply 284October 18, 2017 4:18 PM

I can see Kristen Stewart as a smart, no-nonsense Sabrina type.

I can see Lupita Nyong'o as a cool, streetwise Kelly type.

As for a bubbly blonde Jill type, maybe Margot Robbie.

And as for Bosley, I would love to see Steve Carell.

by Anonymousreply 285October 19, 2017 4:49 AM

R285 Kaitlyn Jenner as Trannie Margo?

by Anonymousreply 286October 19, 2017 9:54 AM

What the fuck has Kate Jackson been up to?

by Anonymousreply 287December 14, 2017 4:25 AM

r19, Sada Thompson? Really? You might as well have said Doris Roberts. Actually, I think Doris Roberts would have made a really interesting addition to the show.

by Anonymousreply 288December 14, 2017 5:10 AM

Shelley Hack was a great model, but she didn't have the warmth necessary for a show like this, that depended so much on the personalities of the leads. I appreciate Tanya Roberts much more in retrospect. She was immediately "relatable" in a sexy, blue collar kind of way. I know "relatable" is a cliche...but in a show as thin as this one was, that aspect counts for a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289December 14, 2017 5:18 AM

What a gorgeous picture of Tanya, R289.

by Anonymousreply 290December 14, 2017 5:36 AM

R290 She really is quite amazing looking.

I think her downfall was when she was kind of bland as a Bond Girl in A VIEW TO A KILL. Of course it was a stupid part, but she should have made more of an impression.

Grace Jones walked off with all the fun scenes in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 291December 14, 2017 5:53 AM

I always thought there was sexual tension between Sabrina and Ms. Smyth "with a Y." It was either the football episode or the cheerleaders one.

by Anonymousreply 292December 14, 2017 7:08 AM

i love tanya roberts. julie rogers is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 293December 14, 2017 10:22 PM

Roberts unquestionably had the best body on the show, ever.

I mean, they were all beautiful women with exceptional bodies (well, Jackson's figure was nothing to write home about) but Tanya Roberts' physicality was of a calibur where she could have worked as a professional body double.

I'm for serious...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294December 16, 2017 2:08 AM

Roberts had a great body, so did Ladd.

by Anonymousreply 295December 16, 2017 2:13 AM

I thought Shelley Hack was marvelous in those old “Charlie” perfume commercials. I wish we’d have commercials like that these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296December 16, 2017 2:45 AM

r289, that IS a beautiful picture of Tanya Roberts. I remember Cheryl Ladd once saying that Tanya had the most beautiful skin of any woman she had ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 297December 16, 2017 3:29 AM

[quote]R297 I remember Cheryl Ladd once saying that Tanya had the most beautiful skin of any woman she had ever seen.

Mmmm!

I remember in the book "The Nashville Chronicles: The Making of Robert Altman's Masterpiece" (2000) one of the actresses said costar Gwen Welles had the most clear and beautiful skin SHE had ever seen.

Welles was a strict vegetarian, or something, for decades. Then she died of anal cancer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298December 16, 2017 3:53 AM

Tanya was given the lamest character name. All of the other Angels had cool names.

Julie Rogers???

by Anonymousreply 299December 16, 2017 3:55 AM

[quote]R299 Julie Rogers???

So funny...I never noticed that. Yes, it DOES sound like someone's secretery.

May as well have called her Darlene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300December 16, 2017 6:03 AM

Better put some respect on Julie Rogers' name...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301December 16, 2017 6:30 AM

And don't think of coming for Kelly Garrett!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302December 16, 2017 6:34 AM

R302 NO ONE messes with Kelly Garrett.

She will hit them with her hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303December 16, 2017 6:39 AM

Didn't Miss Ann Miller knock Kelly out with her hair on The Love Boat?

by Anonymousreply 304December 16, 2017 6:42 AM

The thing that distinguished Tanya Roberts from all the previous angels is that she could care less about being a real actress or having great scripts. All five had complained about being exploited in various ways, Tanya embraced it. She was an exhibitionist. She was thrilled to do bikini scenes just so she could show off her tits. She wanted to be known as a sex symbol. She was the only Angel to do a full throttle Playboy spread...

Yeah, Farrah did one many years later, but that was to promote her art book and a lame attempt at resurrecting her career. It was also around the time she went bonkers.

by Anonymousreply 305December 16, 2017 8:00 AM

I think Tom Bosley in drag was the worst.

by Anonymousreply 306December 16, 2017 9:49 AM

Bosley, John Bosley.

by Anonymousreply 307December 16, 2017 11:51 AM

A funny David Doyle/Bosley story. During in one of Season five's Hawaiian episodes (Hula Angels, I think) where Bosley does the Hula dance in the grass skirt, Doyle didn't wear underwear during one take and mooned the Angels once. That's why they got a such great response shot from that time. I believe Cheryl or Tanya shared that story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308December 16, 2017 12:40 PM

I preferred Bernie Mac as Bosley over Bill Murray.

by Anonymousreply 309December 16, 2017 12:48 PM

R298 - who da fuk is Gwen Welles? Is she related to Tiffany?

by Anonymousreply 310December 16, 2017 2:21 PM

Catching up on this old thread. - Was there ever an on-screen explanation why the angels operated in Hawaii for half of the last season? I can see that somebody tried to boost ratings. But was there an explanation why they left LA for HI , and why they then later went back to LA? I cannot recall any explanation in those episodes.

by Anonymousreply 311January 6, 2018 9:21 PM

R311, because of bikinis.

by Anonymousreply 312January 6, 2018 10:19 PM

They went to Hawaii on a case and thats where they met "Tiffany Welles" replacement model "Julie Rogers"

by Anonymousreply 313January 8, 2018 3:44 AM

No, r313.

by Anonymousreply 314January 8, 2018 3:49 AM

R314, I believe R313 is correct -- the season 5 premiere was set in Hawaii, Tiffany had taken off for New York, and Kelly and Kris met Julie along the way when they were working that episode's case. In fact, IIRC, they thought at first that she was criminally involved, only to find out later that she was a private detective working the same case; of course they would later ask her to join the team and come work with them full-time for Charlie.

I'm going purely on memory here but I do believe that is how Julie Rogers came into the show.

by Anonymousreply 315January 8, 2018 4:13 AM

R315 - your memory is correct except the first episode of S5 was set in Los Angeles. At the end of the episode Julie joins the agency and Charlie surprises them with the news that he is sending them to the Honolulu office.

The Hawaii episodes started with episode two. Immediately after arriving Kris is kidnapped by Gary Frank from ‘Family’.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316January 8, 2018 4:26 AM

Thanks, R316. I appreciate the correction.

by Anonymousreply 317January 8, 2018 4:50 AM

The ratings for Charlie's Angels fell after the year 2 1976- 1977 #5

1977 -1978 #4 (Wed)

1978 - 1979 #12 (Wed)

1979- 1981 #17 (Wed)

1981- 1982 #29 (new night Sat)

by Anonymousreply 318January 8, 2018 6:02 AM

So, Shelley scapegoat?

by Anonymousreply 319January 8, 2018 2:47 PM

The reason they moved to Honolulu for part of the final season is that there was an empty production setup there (Hawaii 5-0 had been cancelled but Magnum -- which later used much of the same crew and production facilities -- had not get begun) and they got a good deal on it at a time when they were looking to cut expenses. Plus, the Hawaii eps gave them something extra to promote, plus bikinis.

by Anonymousreply 320January 8, 2018 10:08 PM

1978 - 1979 #12 (Wed) 1979- 1981 #17 (Wed)

Why in God's name is #12 & #17 "Bad Ratings?"

by Anonymousreply 321February 13, 2018 1:06 AM

would Kim have made a better Angel than Shelley?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322February 13, 2018 1:43 AM

Kim looks WAAAY better as a blonde

by Anonymousreply 323February 13, 2018 2:59 AM

I watched "Magic Fire" last night and oh what a treat that one is. Ludicrous, funny and so confusing it just doesn't matter!

by Anonymousreply 324February 13, 2018 3:06 AM

"Magic Fire" is that the one from the opening credits where Kris is a magician?

by Anonymousreply 325February 13, 2018 3:15 AM

Kris as a magician was the beauty contest episode.

by Anonymousreply 326February 13, 2018 3:18 AM

[quote][R314], I believe [R313] is correct -- the season 5 premiere was set in Hawaii, Tiffany had taken off for New York, and Kelly and Kris met Julie along the way when they were working that episode's case. In fact, IIRC, they thought at first that she was criminally involved, only to find out later that she was a private detective working the same case; of course they would later ask her to join the team and come work with them full-time for Charlie. I'm going purely on memory here but I do believe that is how Julie Rogers came into the show.

I remember it differently from watching some eps a few years ago due to a different CA thread (they pop up on DL periodically):

Tiff had returned to the East Coast, and Kris & Kelly were investigating a case involving missing or dead models or something like that. Julie was a model (she was not a detective or PI or cop) who took it upon herself to investigate the death or disappearance of a fellow model friend. She turned out to be so effective (snort) that Charlie et al offered her a spot in the agency and she was sent to a crash course on how to be a licensed PI (or something like that). Even in the opening credits, Charlie says that while K & K graduated from the police academy, Julie “graduated from a top school for models” (snort again).

by Anonymousreply 327February 13, 2018 4:58 AM

Shelley the Hack - it just didn't work out, and some (like costume designer Nolan Miller) found her to be tiresome on set, because of her attitude and inexperience

See 14:00 mark HERE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328February 13, 2018 5:18 AM

r315 is correct about how we first met Julie Rogers. Regarding the Season 5 premiere, at first the Angels (Kelly and Kris) thought Julie was shady, and she might have been involved in the murder they were investigating. Julie was behaving very suspiciously, so the Angels were keeping a close eye on her. It turns out that Julie WAS working for a Private Detective, played by Vic Morrow. He was killed on the beach, that's when the Angels found out Julie was one of the "good guys". r327 is also correct that Julie was NOT a licensed detective yet, she was more like a 'trainee' who worked for the Vic Morrow PI. Julie had been a tough chick with a criminal past, and the Morrow PI rescued her from the streets.

Kelly, Kris and Bosley took a liking to Julie after the truth came out about Julie and the PI. Charlie then hired Julie, trained her as a PI, got her a PI license, and the rest was history!

by Anonymousreply 329February 14, 2018 4:39 AM

r315 is not correct about Hawaii though. The Angels go to Hawaii in the episode immediately following Julie’s debut episode (which I believe was a two hour premiere episode that was set in LA).

Just after arriving in HI and getting settled, Kris is kidnapped by Gary Frank and his nutty family - and before you ask, no Sada Thompson did not make a special guest appearance.

by Anonymousreply 330February 14, 2018 11:56 AM

Tiffany Welles went back to Boston as for the reason of her departure in season 5.

by Anonymousreply 331February 14, 2018 12:01 PM

Unfortunately, that episode where Kris gets kidnapped had no Sada Thompson, bit it did have Jane Wyman playing a psychic!

Here's a 1-minute montage of the divine Ms. Wyman's guest appearance on "Charlie's Angels".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332February 16, 2018 5:16 AM

Did Farrah make any guest appearances during Tanya's season? Or had she fulfilled her obligation by then?

by Anonymousreply 333February 16, 2018 5:23 AM

I think Farrah's last appearance was during Shelley Hack's season but I could be wrong

by Anonymousreply 334February 16, 2018 5:47 AM

r333, Farrah was done with CA by Season 5. She was required to do 6 guest appearances in total: three in Season 3 and three in Season 4.

by Anonymousreply 335February 16, 2018 5:47 AM

Tanya Roberts and Vic Morrow in the Season 5 premiere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336February 16, 2018 5:52 AM

Someone left a black rose in my apartment today....and the creepy thing is I was home all day.

by Anonymousreply 337February 16, 2018 6:57 AM

*cue stock 1970s female scream, r337.

by Anonymousreply 338February 16, 2018 11:52 AM

lol, r337. that scream! i fondly remember it throughout the series.

by Anonymousreply 339February 16, 2018 12:16 PM

And then what happened, r337? Were Margo and Beamish hiding under the bed?

by Anonymousreply 340February 17, 2018 4:15 AM

The infamous "Charlie's Angels scream" can be heard in full 2:50 seconds into this slip. Sometimes they would just use the first part of the scream.

I wish some CA fanatic would put together a montage of the scream scenes throughout the series. That would be - a scream!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341February 17, 2018 4:54 AM

Sp how many nosejobs did Tanya Roberts have? And are there any high school age pics showing original schnoz?

by Anonymousreply 342February 21, 2018 11:50 PM

After finding the rose and posting here about it, R337 was promptly chloroformed, dragged to an abandoned warehouse and was later sold into white slavery. And then he died.

by Anonymousreply 343February 22, 2018 4:58 AM

R342 I think she's had two. The first was before Charlie's Angels and another one later on. The last one is too sculpted looking. I doubt there are any High School pics readily available, she dropped out school when she was 15 to run off and marry a guy.

Tanya, get this, was actually born in 1949. Ancestry.com recently acquired and posted New York birth records from 1910-1965 on their website and exposed her real age. I was surprised, she didn't look 31 when she was on Charlie's Angels. She looked quite a bit younger than Jaclyn and Cheryl. Both were starting to look a bit tired (and bored) by the last season.

by Anonymousreply 344February 22, 2018 5:25 AM

Spelling should have made fucking Kate Jackson say until her contract was over - I think even he got too confident and thought the the girls were interchangeable. Each brought something unique to the role. They got lucky with Cheryl Ladd and Aaron didn't give the girls any credit. Honestly, they have rebooted this concept and they get to release the chemistry of the girls was the magic

by Anonymousreply 345April 1, 2018 3:53 AM

I liked all of them. but i bought the sabrina doll last in my collection of charlie's angels dolls.

by Anonymousreply 346April 1, 2018 1:33 PM

R346, I actually liked all of them, too. They were each unique in their own way.

by Anonymousreply 347April 1, 2018 2:38 PM

I liked to pretend I was Kelly Garrett and Tiffany Welles.

by Anonymousreply 348April 1, 2018 2:40 PM

Sabrina/Kate was the best as her character remained the most consistent throughout her entire run. Kate was also great at balancing the comedy with the drama.

Jill/Farrah was second best. Perfect in Season One but her light was dimmed with each subsequent guest appearance in Seasons 3 and 4. Farrah clearly didn’t want to be there, and the storylines involving Jill’s life after leaving Townsend Investigations were deadly boring.

Kelly/Jaclyn was great in the first two-three seasons - she was the sultry, adventurous and slightly mysterious lady of the group. But by Season Four she had morphed into a PTA mom who carried a gun in her purse. Check out some of her outfits and hairstyles in the last 2 seasons. Kelly was often a bitch to Tiffany too.

Kris/Cheryl was a surprisingly welcome addition to the agency at first. As the kid sister and rookie, she was the one with whom young girls and gaylings could best identify. By Season Four, both she and Kelly had become humorless and basically interchangeable. Also I’m not sure if it was hair, make-up or a combination of the two but Cheryl was no longer cute in S4.

Tiffany/Shelley was a weak addition at first in both character and appearance. She improved on both counts throughout the course of her season, and they probably should have stuck with her instead of letting her go. It didn’t help that the writing in Season 4 was so bad, and the entire season was basically solo Angel stories.

Julie/Tonya was super-strong in appearance. Tonya was a strikingly beautiful woman. But she could never overcome the awful concept of her character joining the agency (‘...from a top school of models). And frankly Tonya made Shelley look like Meryl when it came to acting.

by Anonymousreply 349April 1, 2018 5:38 PM

Here is an interesting take on Charlie's Angels. (The blog has some nice writing on Dallas and Falcon Crest too, in case you care for those shows as well.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350May 7, 2018 2:53 AM

I'm a Tiffany Welles fan. I used to play her (as a child) as I thought she was a fresh addition to the show.

by Anonymousreply 351May 7, 2018 12:08 PM

Just when you think Datalounge couldn't get gayer, a post like r351 comes along. Love it!

by Anonymousreply 352May 7, 2018 12:15 PM

Looks like MeTV is bringing back the Angels this summer. Just saw a commercial saying "coming soon."

by Anonymousreply 353May 15, 2018 12:29 PM

can't wait, r353, even though I own the series on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 354May 15, 2018 12:33 PM

I have the DVD set too, but I love when they are aired. Unfortunately, my cable provider dropped MeTV.

by Anonymousreply 355May 15, 2018 2:53 PM

Why didn't they conisder hiring DL Icon, Donna Pescow? She would've added some New Yawk sass to the show and can you imagine her in a bikini? Hubba-hubba!

by Anonymousreply 356May 15, 2018 3:02 PM

Thanks, r350.

That was a great read. I had never thought of the original Angels being more feminist than their movie counterparts, but the writer makes a good point about them being mostly freed from the confines of boring boyfriends and the almost obligatory salvation by men.

by Anonymousreply 357May 15, 2018 9:02 PM

Are you sure, R355? I recently thought my cable provider had dropped it, too -- and even called them to complain -- but turns out they had just given it a new channel number. It's now 1239 instead of whatever it was before but it's still there.

by Anonymousreply 358May 16, 2018 2:18 AM

R358, I double checked with the MeTV website. Comcast dropped MeTV in the SF Bay Area. AT&T and Dish still carry it.

Thanks though.

by Anonymousreply 359May 16, 2018 1:09 PM

MeTV's new summer schedule. "Charlie's Angels" will be on every day at 5:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360May 17, 2018 3:23 AM

CharliesAngels.org (the Townsend Agency fansite) with all the great episode commentaries and angel articles and statistics is GONE! If someone here knows the webmaster please have them bring it back.

by Anonymousreply 361July 9, 2018 12:25 AM

I watched the first season on MeTV and I just couldn’t go any farther. I loved the show as a kid, but as an adult I just can’t get past the abominable scripts.

by Anonymousreply 362July 9, 2018 12:28 AM

I can't decide, they were all so good!

by Anonymousreply 363September 4, 2018 10:19 PM

Tanya was bad, I turned off.

by Anonymousreply 364September 4, 2018 10:25 PM

In addition to Claudia Jennings, Spelling was quite taken with foxy Shari Belafonte, wanting to cast her after Jackson's departure. The network reportedly nixed the idea of a black Angel -- Spelling later cast her in the "Angels"-inspired spy chicks TV pilot "Velvet" and then later "Hotel" -- but I still think that hiring a black actress and getting away from the too-glam plots of the fourth season might've been a good move. I can picture Teresa Graves in the role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365September 4, 2018 10:42 PM

I remember all of the talk back then about the potential for casting a black angel. Many saw Jayne Kennedy as a top candidate for a role but of course it never happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366September 4, 2018 10:50 PM

Shelley Hack episodes start tomorrow at 5 on MeTV.

by Anonymousreply 367September 5, 2018 1:49 AM

I think they should have gone with an off beat choice like Debralee Scott or Helaine Lembeck.

by Anonymousreply 368September 5, 2018 2:07 AM

Debralee Scott was like the big famous hometown girl made good where I grew up. I never got to see her though on TV until she did that new material they added for Earthquake.

Mary Hartman and Welcome Back Kotter where considered too grownup for me.

by Anonymousreply 369September 5, 2018 2:11 AM

Both of them were foxes!

by Anonymousreply 370September 5, 2018 2:22 AM

Shipping Kelly/Sabrina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371September 5, 2018 4:54 AM

thx, r367. I love my Shelley Hack season. Tiffany Welles all the way!

by Anonymousreply 372September 5, 2018 11:18 AM

"I wanted to stride like her with confidence. I wanted to be this fabulous." --Oprah

I inspired Oprah with my Charlie! perfume commercial, bitches! I think it's clear that I was not the worst.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373September 5, 2018 11:28 AM

Hey gays! Head to Target to pick up their exclusive new Kelly Garrett action figure! Designed by an autistic Bootsie Gumdrops!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374September 5, 2018 8:11 PM

I am now watching her first episode.

She wasn't so bad.

by Anonymousreply 375September 5, 2018 9:46 PM

love me some Shelley Hack.

by Anonymousreply 376September 5, 2018 11:51 PM

Sabrina's absence was explained away by the voice on the speaker phone as being a sudden marriage and a pregnancy. Kris and Kelly looked like they couldn't care less.

by Anonymousreply 377September 6, 2018 3:15 AM

We don’t know her^

by Anonymousreply 378September 6, 2018 3:20 AM

Shelley Hack looked much better as her season progressed.

by Anonymousreply 379September 6, 2018 11:20 AM

I love Tiffany. Shelly Hack certainly wasn't the best actress but they really didn't try. Watching her first episode yesterday, she was basically in the background. Kris gets to be the focus. The main problem is the show needs a Sabrina and Tiffany was more a Kelly. Plus she's way to sophisticated looking to be dressed as a truck driver or hooker.

R377 I find that funny too. As if Sabrina wouldn't call her friends herself to tell them she's pregnant.

R379 I agree. When she gets rid of that poof at the end of her hair, she looks much better. I think she looks the best in her solo episode when she goes back to her sorority.

by Anonymousreply 380September 6, 2018 12:29 PM

I liked the episode where they are stranded on that fake island full of exotic animals and Tiffany gets hit in the face with a riffle. She hits the water and wakes up with a fake lion getting ready to eat her!

by Anonymousreply 381September 6, 2018 12:32 PM

R381 I like that Kelly and Kris really don't even try to help her.

by Anonymousreply 382September 6, 2018 1:52 PM

They should've had a BLACK Angel. Perhaps casted Teresa Graves and had a few plots in the ghetto etc... Would've been very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 383September 6, 2018 2:37 PM

r382, i liked that too. I like Tiffany but still, who does that?!

by Anonymousreply 384September 6, 2018 4:10 PM

R383, that would have been funny. Especially the Angels trying to talk "ghetto" to try and blend in.

by Anonymousreply 385September 7, 2018 3:16 AM

Or having their hair done in corn rows.

by Anonymousreply 386September 7, 2018 3:20 AM

Those bitches left me for dead, r382!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387September 8, 2018 7:45 PM

[quote]r380 Shelly Hack certainly wasn't the best actress but they really didn't try. Watching her first episode yesterday, she was basically in the background. Kris gets to be the focus.

That's because they gave most of Hack's lines to Ladd when they discovered on the set she couldn't actually ACT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388September 8, 2018 7:49 PM

I always thought Kate was a great actress and if you can get Emmy nominated off Charlie's Angels -- twice -- then, yeah, you can act.

It's really too bad she didn't get the Streep role in Kramer; she'd have had a different career.

This said, I actually liked Shelley Hack. They didn't give her much to do; and they should have shown her how to hold a gun in that one episode where she took down a sorority sex ring; I didn't care for Julie, the ex-model and con artist or whatever she was.

by Anonymousreply 389September 8, 2018 8:13 PM

Tiffany Welles, gun expert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390September 8, 2018 8:59 PM

R11 & R27 hit the nail on the head - among others. The writing was appalling by the end.

Saw in a documentary about it - as well as the Tele-movie about how it all came together - there was one show-runner producer guy who had a real sense of what it could be and was simpatico with Kate jacckson - they wanted quality. The spelling team and network just wanted tits and ass. Quality cost more in time and effort - all too hard. So he left to do another show. And with him went the originality and charm and slight quirkiness he brought that first season (think he started a few shows in?)

It was sad how they treated Hack. Her scripts weren’t much at all - and they started to cut and marginalise her even more rather than giving her a chance to grow into it. She might have been a model turned actress - but so were most of the others. If she’d been scripted properly and allowed a chance to endear herself to the cast and viewers - it might have made a difference. But it was starting to slide and considered pretty disposable by then. Ditto Roberts, the whole thing was just an insult to the intelligence of an adult viewer. At least the earlier eps had some wit and a kittenish quality that was appealing. By the end - just a bad detective show.

by Anonymousreply 391September 8, 2018 9:05 PM

Well said, R391.

I often wonder what the show would've been like had it lasted one more season. It was said that Jaclyn Smith had already indicated she was not returning after the end of the fifth season, which I'm sure, along with bad ratings, contributed to ABC's decision to cancel it. But had it returned without Smith, that means Cheryl Ladd would've moved into the first position, followed I'm assuming by Tanya, and of course a new face that would've been added to the show. It would've been the perfect opportunity to "risk" adding a black actress to the cast, which I think could've given the show a much-needed shot in the arm (and generated interest in it again). But I guess everyone involved decided people were just too over it by then and decided instead to close it down and move on.

by Anonymousreply 392September 8, 2018 9:45 PM

[quote]r391 It was sad how they treated Hack. Her scripts weren’t much at all - and they started to cut and marginalise her even more rather than giving her a chance to grow into it. She might have been a model turned actress - but so were most of the others.

Clearly they should have gone with Kathie Lee Gifford of the HEE HAW HONEYS, who was up for the part.

She could have brought in some musical numbers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393September 8, 2018 10:14 PM

Hack was pretty bad when she first started and I think they lost confidence in her quickly. As someone mentioned earlier, they gave Cheryl Ladd a lot of her lines in her first episode, because her line delivery was so awful. She also rubbed some people wrong behind the scenes. She started to improve during the second half of the season, but it was too little, too late. The ratings were beginning to drop, they dropped like 60% over the course of Season 4. Shelley got the blame was canned.

by Anonymousreply 394September 8, 2018 10:44 PM

[quote]Hack was pretty bad when she first started and I think they lost confidence in her quickly. As someone mentioned earlier, they gave Cheryl Ladd a lot of her lines in her first episode, because her line delivery was so awful.

I've always heard this story, too, with regard to Hack and it's always posed more questions for me than answer. For starters, if Shelley was so bad, how the hell did she even get the part in the first place? Did she audition for it, made a great impression, and then totally blew it when she got before the cameras? Or did they just see her in one of those "Charlie" commercials she used to do and cast her based on that? And if she was so bad out of the gate, why the hell didn't they just fire her after the first damn week? (I guess that would've thrown production into chaos and cost a fortune.) But they could've let her go, wrote Tiffany's intro out of the fourth season premiere episode, hired someone new, then brought the character in during the second or third episode of the season (and the story would now be "Shelley Hack played the part first but got fired because she couldn't deliver the lines; that's when they brought in Kathie Lee Gifford").

This could've been a legend by now like the two Darrins on Bewitched!

by Anonymousreply 395September 8, 2018 11:50 PM

[quote]r395 And if she was so bad out of the gate, why the hell didn't they just fire her after the first damn week?

They had done a ton of publicity bringing her onboard (including a PEOPLE cover) so it would have been very embarrasing to ditch her right away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396September 9, 2018 12:03 AM

Ladd was frankly undervalued herself. She brought a real sensitivity and depth to Kris, whom I always preferred to Jill. There are episodes where I feel that she's the best actress on the show, perhaps even better than Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 397September 9, 2018 12:06 AM

[quote] R395 why the hell didn't they just fire her after the first damn week?

That is what they did with her on NIGHT COURT. She was announced for the series, then dumped after a day of shooting, or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398September 9, 2018 12:09 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399September 9, 2018 12:11 AM

I think Jayne Kennedy was being bandied about as Farrah's replacement.

As much as I liked Shelley Hack in season four, the show wasn't as tight.

Season 1, I had the sense that these three women were all super close and making Kris be Jill's sister was smart and helped smooth the transition.

TIffany and Kelly and Kris were all too similar...they blended together and by the time they realized Shelley could actually do stuff (her poorly handling the gun aside, she was perfectly fine in episodes that focused on her) it was too late.

What I never got was in the two part episode with Patrick Duffy, Ray Milland (!), Robert Reed and that blonde woman who was with David Soul (Marta, Marte ? - I'm too lazy to google) was that Ray's character was convinced Kelly Garrett was his stolen at birth daughter because she was a dead ringer for Ray's character's late wife -- well, if Kelly WASN'T Margaret Ellen Barrows (I think that was the name) who was she?

Exploring Kelly's family would have made for a nice episode.

by Anonymousreply 400September 9, 2018 1:31 AM

IMDB does not list the name of the actress who played Beamish (from Season One’s ‘The Seance ‘).

DL sleuths - can you find out who this was? As a kid she scared the shit out of me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401September 9, 2018 1:37 AM

She got a raw deal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402September 9, 2018 3:32 AM

Lilibet - lesbian slash fiction with Sabrina and Kelly!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403September 9, 2018 3:42 AM

[quote]r402 She got a raw deal.

What?? She got more chances than most. Three prime time shows and she fucked 'em ALL up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404September 9, 2018 3:45 AM

She was charming as Tiffany Welles,

by Anonymousreply 405September 9, 2018 3:57 AM

R404, I don't think she fucked up (i.e., got fired) on Jack & Mike. It simply got canceled due to poor ratings.

by Anonymousreply 406September 9, 2018 3:57 AM

The Original Three are the only Angels. They seemed to get along IRL. Maybe because they were in the same generation and all 3 raised in the South (Farrah and Jaclyn from TX, Kate from Alabama. I wish it had lasted 3 seasons and then cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 407September 9, 2018 5:48 AM

OK... I like Tiffany Welles and Julie Rogers.

by Anonymousreply 408September 9, 2018 10:32 AM

R407 - I would like to remind you that Seasons 2 and 3 did not have the original three.

by Anonymousreply 409September 9, 2018 12:55 PM

————-

by Anonymousreply 410September 9, 2018 4:01 PM

My dad hated the show...especially after one episode where the Angels were investigating a case and Kelly confronted the suspect, a burly fellow...she pulled out her gun and the guy overpowered her and slung her into the wall. she fell to the ground in a heap of permed hair and lipgloss.

by Anonymousreply 411September 9, 2018 4:04 PM

Class act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412September 9, 2018 5:38 PM

Her death in S4 was brutal!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413September 10, 2018 12:02 AM

Go fuck mud, Cheryl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414September 10, 2018 1:04 AM

^^ sorry....for r409

by Anonymousreply 415September 10, 2018 1:05 AM

One of Tiffany's two solo episodes was on yesterday and I never realized before that her sorority house is actually the Doyle house from "Halloween".

by Anonymousreply 416September 20, 2018 1:18 PM

Hack was a delight.

by Anonymousreply 417September 20, 2018 1:40 PM

Kate looks gay in everything she's ever done. When she kisses a guy on screen we fall out. And I'm a guy.

by Anonymousreply 418September 20, 2018 3:09 PM

She has her goofy charm.

by Anonymousreply 419September 20, 2018 3:09 PM

Exactly. I loved her and her voice and her sense of humor which the show really needed. She had chemistry for days with David Doyle.

by Anonymousreply 420September 20, 2018 4:54 PM

Have they shown the haunted house episode yet? It was fun but stupid. It ended with the ghost of the murdered woman shaking Bosley’s desk violently because he is skeptical of her existence. Instead of freaking the fuck out like any normal person, the Angels just laugh at Bosley instead!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421September 21, 2018 1:08 AM

[quote]r421 Instead of freaking the fuck out like any normal person, the Angels just laugh at Bosley instead!

Bullying at its WORST.

by Anonymousreply 422September 21, 2018 7:01 AM

It's only as I got older, looking back, that I realized "Charlie's Townhouse," where the agency was, really isn't anything special.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423September 21, 2018 7:09 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424September 21, 2018 7:13 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425September 21, 2018 7:15 AM

Interesting find, r425. I wanted to work at the Townsend Agency when I was a boy. I was a glamour puss.

by Anonymousreply 426September 21, 2018 9:22 AM

r413, nice kitty. nice kitty.

by Anonymousreply 427September 21, 2018 10:01 AM

Yesterday was the episode where Tiffany, Kris and Kelly are hunted on the island. I had forgotten that in the end Charlie speeds away from the island leaving the angels behind with the big cats just so they don't see his face. Why would they work for that man ?

by Anonymousreply 428September 21, 2018 11:40 AM

r428, the pay must have been good. Otherwise they were very stupid women.

by Anonymousreply 429September 21, 2018 3:32 PM

Yep the first Charlie’s Angels movie with Sam Rockwell as the villain seeking revenge on Charlie ripped off that episode big time, r428.

by Anonymousreply 430September 21, 2018 10:17 PM

I love it when the angels kick some ass.

by Anonymousreply 431September 27, 2018 10:14 AM

They were all good in their own way.

Apples and Oranges.

by Anonymousreply 432March 18, 2019 9:46 PM

I liked Shelley. I hated Tanya. Shelley got progressively better and if they had given her more time to fit in the show would have lasted another two seasons. That being said; there were so many other actresses who would have lit up the show with good publicity and better acting than Shelley. At that time there were just so many actresses they could have gone with. I would have gone with Jayne Kennedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433March 18, 2019 10:00 PM

That would have been an excellent choice.

by Anonymousreply 434March 19, 2019 12:46 AM

Me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435May 1, 2019 2:22 AM

Cheryl was probably the best cast addition in TV history. Except for maybe Joan in Din Nesty

by Anonymousreply 436May 1, 2019 2:26 AM

R64 Nolan Miller was the real bitch on the show! Always bitching about Kate because she wasn't that much into glam. Then Shelley comes along and he's happy only to diss her, too (mind you I only watched the Kate Jackson episodes but just saying).

by Anonymousreply 437July 7, 2020 4:54 PM

R411 LOL!!!! Kelly may have been considered the classic beauty but oh so boring. Like a porcelain doll. She was never believable as a cop.

by Anonymousreply 438July 8, 2020 8:04 PM

R292 So true. Check this out: Sabrina and Miss Julia Smyth with a "Y".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439July 9, 2020 4:00 PM

How did this old thread get dug up by the cat?

by Anonymousreply 440July 9, 2020 4:05 PM

R439 This is really well done! And fun!

by Anonymousreply 441July 10, 2020 6:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!