Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Amazon Reviews are so Confusing Now

Tried sorting out the most popular reviews yet doesn't seem to work. Non verified reviews with many helpful votes are buried under lots of verified purchase reviews that contain only 1 or 2 sentences. Once you get past the verified reviews (there is no filter), all the other reviews are sorted irrespective of the number of helpful votes. It's just one big clusterfuck. Does anyone know of any alternative consumer review website for books, movies, and music? Perhaps, there is a review aggregator site that works the way Amazon used to.

by Anonymousreply 26May 22, 2020 4:00 PM

On the item's front page, if you click "see all verified purchase reviews" it will take you to the review page where you can change "filter by" to "all reviews" and it should go back to the way it used to be. It won't save that setting, though; showing only verified reviews is the default now and you have to change it for each item you look at.

by Anonymousreply 1July 11, 2017 8:29 AM

Fat mongrel bitches

by Anonymousreply 2July 11, 2017 9:47 AM

There's a website (fakespot.com) where you can plug in an item's Amazon URL and it will try to determine how reliable the review(ers) are.

by Anonymousreply 3July 11, 2017 1:07 PM

Even I'm not that stupid

by Anonymousreply 4November 7, 2017 12:04 PM

preparation h. what a wonderful thing.

by Anonymousreply 5November 7, 2017 12:06 PM

I only read reviews that are 3 or 4 stars. everything else is bots.

by Anonymousreply 6November 7, 2017 12:18 PM

I'm the OP, dah a hee

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2020 2:35 AM

I automatically disregard any review that includes the words "this product was sent to me free of charge in exchange for a vine review". Ok, thanks for nothing then bitch.

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2020 6:54 AM

[quote]There's a website (fakespot.com) where you can plug in an item's Amazon URL and it will try to determine how reliable the review(ers) are.

Yes but some of the sellers offer Amazon gift cards for reviews. They don't say the review has to be positive, but they want you to take a photo of it and provide them with a link. I tried posting a product review that mentioned the incentive offer, but Amazon rejected my review.

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2020 10:04 AM

I was contacted repeatedly by a company that wanted me to remove my 3 star review. They offered to pay me basically a refund without me having to return the product. It wasn't worth the hassle for me regardless and I felt my review was fair so I said no. But it really surprised me the lengths companies will go to so their reviews are perfect. I mean this product had over 1000 reviews and most of them were positive so why worry about my one mid-range score?

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2020 11:06 AM

Well, books/music/videos are completely subjective, so random reviews wouldn’t count for much. Basically any discussion of an artist’s work here has wildly differing opinions.

Other consumer products can be just as inconclusive. For example, I researched melatonin gummies. Some people raved (“best sleep ever!”), some people hated them (“made me so groggy the next day, what’s the point?”)

The reviews I take into consideration are ones where a flaw is mentioned several times. An example is a sweater on LL Bean; several reviewers said the sleeves were too tight and the neckhole was too small but the rest of it was loose and boxy. Or “the xxx isn’t detachable so you can’t clean it”. That’s the kind of information I’m looking for.

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2020 11:10 AM

[quote]But it really surprised me the lengths companies will go to so their reviews are perfect.

eBay started that. Why buy from a seller with less than perfect feedback when you can (usually) choose from a number of 100% positive sellers?

by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2020 11:14 AM

There are very few Amazon reviews I take seriously, and that's for 20+ years. There's always someone/something stuffing the ballot box.

by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2020 11:25 AM

The idiots that get me are people that give a product 1-2 stars because they had a shipping problem or something completely irrelevant to the product itself. That’s the problem with making it more about “customer purchase experience” than anything. Stupid.

by Anonymousreply 14May 22, 2020 11:32 AM

Slightly off topic, but Amazon customers seem to have serious problems with reading comprehension. I've tried using the q and a before for product questions and there will always be a series of complete non sequitor responses. Like if you ask "Is this a genuine wool sweater? " the response will be "I think it's fantastic, I bought it for my uncle as a gift". Or "Is this detergent suitable for HE washing machines? " and someone will answer "It cleans very well! ".

by Anonymousreply 15May 22, 2020 11:45 AM

What R11 said. The personal opinions are not worth anything to me. I would never think to look at Amazon reviews about books or music.

But if a particular fact, especially about a design defect or problem with item's durability is mentioned repeatedly, I will avoid that product.

by Anonymousreply 16May 22, 2020 11:47 AM

The amazon reviews are now basically worthless. I still buy stuff, but I try to find reviews on multiple sites if it's something new to me.

by Anonymousreply 17May 22, 2020 12:02 PM

Products that ship from China have flooded amazon. The reviews are best when you only look at the 1-2 star reviews. It tells you everything you need to know.

by Anonymousreply 18May 22, 2020 12:15 PM

1. There is no point in even reading any Non-Verified Reviews, OP, because the rest of them are fake.

2. Amazon has the worst fucking search engine I've ever encountered and it has to be on purpose. It is nearly impossible to find anything you specifically search for by name.

3. There is so much fucking Chinese garbage on that site that you can barely get any actual name brand electronics, etc. Zero quality crap. Horrible plastic junk.

4. I think it's hilarious that they're asking for a law to ban price gouging during a pandemic, when the only instances of price gouging I've come across on their site since April have been things they were directly selling. In one case, they wanted $22 for a $3 box of cereal.

by Anonymousreply 19May 22, 2020 12:25 PM

I hate it when I buy stuff on Amazon or EBay that claims to be a US seller, and weeks later, it arrives on a slow boat from China or from some other random country that requires going through customs about ten times first.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 22, 2020 12:35 PM

Like if you ask "Is this a genuine wool sweater? " the response will be "I think it's fantastic, I bought it for my uncle as a gift".

OR, they answer "I don't know, I haven't opened the box." Amazon pressures prior purchasers to answer these questions, and they're so stupid they answer even if they have nothing to add.

by Anonymousreply 21May 22, 2020 12:39 PM

A few years back I put some things for sale on Amazon Marketplace. Not long after, I had a death in tbt family and had to leave town. I sold some things in the meantime and reached out to the buyers, letting them know about the situation and would ship as soon as I returned home the next week. Everyone was fine, I thought, and I did exactly as I said upon returning. But the sellers came for me with knives in reviews, and got me banned as a seller. Amazon is the yard sale crowd online, on steroids.

by Anonymousreply 22May 22, 2020 12:51 PM

OP, the reviews of these bones are pretty straight forward. I don't know if you're looking for human bones, but if you are...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 22, 2020 1:25 PM

I used to find the obviously fake reviews very funny especially since it was for stuff that people would never buy anyway. Some guy raving about a new sex toy and its many uses for example. Amazon sells a lot of weird shit.

by Anonymousreply 24May 22, 2020 2:02 PM

Burying non verified reviews may not be such a big deal anymore but at the time many reputable reviewers who posted much older reviews had their writing pretty much disappear. The disappearance of all those humorous non reviews for useless products was just another unfortunate side effect.

by Anonymousreply 25May 22, 2020 2:05 PM

R23, Muriel can sell you all the bones you need. They get picked clean around here. You'll be satisfied.

by Anonymousreply 26May 22, 2020 4:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!