Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Flush your acting career down the toilet!

Which actors did a terrific job of destroying their careers?

by Anonymousreply 467January 2, 2019 6:48 PM

Tom Sizemore

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2017 9:51 AM

Sean Young

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2017 10:22 AM

Him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2017 10:24 AM

Def. Sean Young.

Also the lesser-known Michael Biehn, who was gorgeous and could have had a decent career if he hadn't blown it all by being a nasty drunk.

And Linda Fiorentino, who apparently didn't have to act much to play her scheming bitch character in The Last Seduction (okay, maybe she did have to act the scheming part, the bitch -- not so much).

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2017 10:25 AM

Him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2017 10:27 AM

Him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2017 10:28 AM

Her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2017 10:28 AM

What is the explanation for Cuba Gooding?

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2017 10:30 AM

Bad choices. Same with Gossett.

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2017 10:31 AM

Michael Muhney the tit toucher. Can't get a job anywhere. Even McDonalds turned him down because of their sexual harassment policies. Asswipe.

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2017 10:31 AM

[quote]What is the explanation for Cuba Gooding?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2017 10:33 AM

Romola Garai is nowhere to be seen.

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2017 10:35 AM

Deanna Durbin - she decided to pack her bags and move to France at the height of her career. Hollywood producers constantly tried to lure her out of "retirement", but it's a good thing she never made a comeback because by that time her quasi-operatic style of singing was not popular anymore and the results would probably be disastrous.

It's really hard to imagine someone pulling a stunt like this nowadays - can you imagine someone like Jennifer Lawrence or Emma Stone just quitting Hollywood overnight?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2017 10:37 AM

Brett Butler

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2017 10:44 AM

Roseanne Barr

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2017 10:46 AM

[quote]Romola Garai is nowhere to be seen.

And that makes me sad because she was my favorite Briony.

Also, Paul Schneider's nowhere to be found. I wanted him badly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2017 10:48 AM

Monique

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2017 10:55 AM

Ain't my fault I was blacklisted, baby!

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2017 11:01 AM

Wesley Snipes.

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2017 11:06 AM

Betty Hutton

Barbara Payton

John Barrymore

Oliver Reed

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2017 11:14 AM

Mel Gibson!

by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2017 11:21 AM

Someone on Reddit rightly pointed out Emma Stone represents what Lindsay Lohan could've been.

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2017 11:32 AM

I own this thread

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2017 11:48 AM

Lindsay Lohan

by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2017 11:52 AM

Shia LaBeouf - a falling star

Benicio del Toro - a star back on the rise?

Alicia Silverstone

Jean Seberg

Mischa Barton

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2017 1:02 PM

Jonathan Rhys Meyers....almost.

He still works pretty regularly but can't get a studio film to save his life. Don't think he would have been A list but could have had a very solid B+ indie/studio career but now does cable TV and VOD films. And we all know why.

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2017 1:12 PM

Some in here have major personal issues.

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2017 1:13 PM

I know she's been mentioned but LILO owns this thread. So many wasted opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2017 1:29 PM

George Raft

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2017 1:52 PM

I never knew one of my ultimate fantasy fucks Michael Biehn had a destructive drinking problem. Damn, what a shame.

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2017 1:55 PM

Steven Bauer

Meg Ryan

Jennifer Grey

Val Kilmer

Christian Slater

Winona Ryder

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2017 1:59 PM

I don't think Gooding and Spilsbury did anything to destroy their careers. They never should have had them to begin with and people quickly realized it. They were both just incredibly lucky when they started out, esp. Gooding to win his Oscar

by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2017 2:02 PM

Deanna Durbin doesn't belong on this list. She left the industry on her own terms and never seemed to have any regrets.

by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2017 2:05 PM

Instead of saying him and her, could you name names? No one could recognize those pictures.

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2017 2:08 PM

Valerie Harper

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2017 2:10 PM

Right, r33. She was a very savvy woman who had good managers and financial advisors and had become very, very wealthy. She was completely fed up with insipid roles she was offered, so she said enough and moved to Paris. As mentioned above, both Hollywood and Broadway producers tried to lure her back for years but she just wasn't interested. She was offered the original stage production of My Fair Lady after Mary Martin turned it down but she passed on that too.

by Anonymousreply 36January 24, 2017 2:13 PM

Barbara Payton is a good choice...She deserves a thread of her own.

by Anonymousreply 37January 24, 2017 2:16 PM

Eric Stoltz - could not play Marty McFly convincingly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 24, 2017 2:19 PM

Winona Ryder. Her star was already beginning to slip when she was convicted of shoplifting, in a high profile case, fueled by drugs, and her career pretty much slipped away. I always think of her as 'The Shoplifting Girl' as opposed to her movies.

by Anonymousreply 39January 24, 2017 2:25 PM

her. .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 24, 2017 2:30 PM

Antonio Banderas

Charlie Sheen - kinda owns this thread

Ken Wahl - he was so hot

by Anonymousreply 41January 24, 2017 2:36 PM

Louise Brooks

by Anonymousreply 42January 24, 2017 2:37 PM

Winona Ryder will never be able to play her age anymore because of her odd voice. She can only play a teenager convincingly.

by Anonymousreply 43January 24, 2017 2:40 PM

I think Meg Ryan didn't so much throw her career away as age out of the "America's Sweetheart/ ingénue" roles she owned. The disastrous plastic surgery surely sped the decline, as the nasty Russell Crowe/ divorce situation may have, but I think she would have been on her way out anyway.

Benicio del Toro certainly has some acting chops and still looks interesting, but if those stories about his acts of rape and violence in Puerto Rico that have reputedly been hushed up by his well-connected family get publicized, he may find himself in the same boat as Mel Gibson.

by Anonymousreply 44January 24, 2017 2:42 PM

Antonio Banderas threw away his career in Spain. In Hollywood he was lucky to have a career at all with just so many Latin lover parts to go around and his English was awful.

by Anonymousreply 45January 24, 2017 2:49 PM

Funny, JRM and Banderas completed a European-backed film in 2016. Wouldn't surprised if it goes straight to VOD and/or not get a release at all in the US.

by Anonymousreply 46January 24, 2017 3:10 PM

Welcome to my whoopi cushion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 24, 2017 3:16 PM

I didnt do it. The JEWS DID IT TO ME !!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 24, 2017 3:17 PM

I once had promise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 24, 2017 3:18 PM

Judy Garland?

by Anonymousreply 50January 24, 2017 3:24 PM

Crispin Glover

by Anonymousreply 51January 24, 2017 3:34 PM

Meryl Streep. After that awful Mamma Mia, it's been downhill ever since.

by Anonymousreply 52January 24, 2017 3:41 PM

Faye Dunaway for starring in Mommie Dearest about a Hollywood icon, Joan Crawford, that came out too soon after her death. After the movie, Hollywood disowned Dunaway. Trivia point: Anne Bancroft was initially hired to star in Mommie Dearest and was in full make-up as Joan when she suddenly quit. Smart lady.

by Anonymousreply 53January 24, 2017 3:42 PM

Thanks, r34. I found that annoying too. Please label photographs!

by Anonymousreply 54January 24, 2017 4:05 PM

Pamela Sue Martin and Al Corley (Stephen Carrington) of TV's "Dynasty."

by Anonymousreply 55January 24, 2017 4:52 PM

Bela Lugosi.

by Anonymousreply 56January 24, 2017 5:49 PM

Constance Wu

by Anonymousreply 57January 24, 2017 7:21 PM

Tim Roth turned down the role of Severus Snape - a role that JK Rowling wrote with him in mind - in the Harry Potter films, and has vocally and bitterly regretted it ever since, calling it pompous stupidity on his part. He's not wrong.

by Anonymousreply 58January 24, 2017 7:31 PM

Whoopi Goldberg got fucked over pretty hard for an anti-Bush routine she did at a fundraiser. That was pretty weird and an obvious bit of scapegoating.

by Anonymousreply 59January 24, 2017 7:54 PM

R34 I easily recognized all the pictures. If you don't know who the people are by seeing them, would you really know their names. And btw, some of these actors are actively working, just not starring in huge movies. Winona Ryder is starring in "Stranger Things" , a Netflix series that has gotten great reviews. Micky Rourke still works as well. Most of these people do.

by Anonymousreply 60January 24, 2017 8:03 PM

Tonya Crowe

by Anonymousreply 61January 24, 2017 8:07 PM

I agree about Paul Schneider, R16. He was pretty hot in "The Assassination of Jesse James..." Anyone know why he left P&R?

by Anonymousreply 62January 24, 2017 8:12 PM

[quote] Constance Wu

who??

by Anonymousreply 63January 24, 2017 8:20 PM

Some of these are bad nominations. Antonio Banderas did nothing to flush his career down the toilet, and he had a long good run. He's not getting the kind of roles he used to get, but he's in his fifties, and has been a star since his early 20s.

by Anonymousreply 64January 24, 2017 8:27 PM

Josh Hartnett peaked with that masturbation movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 24, 2017 8:34 PM

Billy Crudup really hit it big with ALMOST FAMOUS in 2000, after a few years in movies and theatre.

He was predicted to be a huge star, one of the brighter lights of his generation of actors. (FYI: His contemporaries include Hugh Jackman, Daniel Craig, Josh Brolin, & Will Smith.) He had looks, presence, and major acting chops, even a flair for comedy.

He opted for a lower public profile AND made some seriously bad choices (turning down THE HULK)... AND got some bad press for abandoning Mary Louise Parker (while she was pregnant with his child) for Claire Danes. Moviegoers, especially female fans, remember this kind of thing.

He still works in indies, TV, and direct to DVD projects, but he'll never have the career he might have.

It's all in the timing: for most mortals, you're only young and hot once.

by Anonymousreply 66January 24, 2017 8:36 PM

Hello. And I was so fucking cute too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67January 24, 2017 8:45 PM

Back in the 1960s, Eartha Kitt was asked to luncheon at The White House. She took the occasion to launch into a tirade against the Viet Nam War, bringing Lady Bird Johnson to tears. The incident was widely publicized and Kitt was subjected to so much criticism that her bookings in the US completely dried up. She had to move to Europe to get work. It was a number of years before she was able to work in the US again.

by Anonymousreply 68January 24, 2017 8:54 PM

R3, Damn, I'd forgotten how utterly hot Mickey Rourke was back in the day. Not to mention talented, he was only in 2 scenes in Body Heat, but I couldn't take my eyes off of him.

Now though...man, he's uncomfortably hard to look at. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 69January 24, 2017 8:59 PM

[quote]who??

No, not "who," Wu. She's the mother on [italic]Fresh off the Boat[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 70January 24, 2017 9:03 PM

I just watched Cuba Gooding Jr in Pearl Harbor and event though it's a crappy movie, he was very moving in his cliché filled part. He's a good actor who can make a part better than it deserves to be but ever since Jerry Maguire he's picked terrible movies.

I'd have to say David Caruso blew his career twice, first after NYPD Blue and then, after his comeback in CSI Miami. I dont really follow the film industry but a friend of mine was a technical consultant (and an extra) in a movie about the USS Indianapolis about 25 years ago and met Caruso and worked with him. Even back then before he was famous, his asshole tendencies were well honed and firmly in place. Doesn't surprise me he wore out his welcome twice.

by Anonymousreply 71January 24, 2017 9:08 PM

[quote] I just watched Cuba Gooding Jr in Pearl Harbor and event though it's a crappy movie, he was very moving in his cliché filled part. He's a good actor who can make a part better than it deserves to be but ever since Jerry Maguire he's picked terrible movies.

Everybody plays the fool.

by Anonymousreply 72January 24, 2017 9:09 PM

Cher

by Anonymousreply 73January 24, 2017 9:15 PM

Seriously, R65? He might no longer receive teen heartthrob status, but he has worked consistently, and was just in a pretty well-acclaimed Showtime series, Penny Dreadful. He's only in his late 30's and still looks hot. He's doing pretty well for himself.

by Anonymousreply 74January 24, 2017 9:41 PM

R66 Billy Crudup made so much money being the "Priceless" voiceover for MasterCard, he never needed to work again. So he chose smaller parts.

R71 Show, don't tell. What did David Caruso do to display his "asshole tendencies." So many people talk about him, or call him names, but no one ever says what he actually did to deserve the degree of derision that gets heaped upon him.

by Anonymousreply 75January 24, 2017 9:46 PM

General prima donna behavior, R75, especially for a guy who was way down in the credits. It was filmed in Mobile AL, where courtesy and manners are important, but he was very standoffish, didn't acknowledge people who weren't important and was rude to several WW2 vets who were historical consultants on the film including one who I think was an actual survivor of the Indianapolis. He got himself an unflattering nickname like "Miss Faye Dunaway" or something similar from the crew who called him it behind his back. There was a buzz around him back then of someone who was going to make it big, but in general it pays to be pleasant to work with if you're going to stay big.

My buddy also said Richard Thomas pinged off the scale.

by Anonymousreply 76January 24, 2017 10:10 PM

[quote] Some of these are bad nominations. Antonio Banderas did nothing to flush his career down the toilet, and he had a long good run. He's not getting the kind of roles he used to get, but he's in his fifties, and has been a star since his early 20s.

I think some people just listed actors that they don't like.

by Anonymousreply 77January 24, 2017 10:19 PM

I'm not sure you call it 'flushing your acting career down the toilet' when you just decide you've had enough of a career, then want to move on to a different life. Debra Winger and Julie Christie pretty much dropped out of the limelight on their own terms, but then have re-appeared from time to time, and shown that they still had what it takes. Jane Fonda didn't make a movie between 'Stanley and Iris' (1990) and the terrible 'Monster in Law' in 2005. Vanessa Redgrave alienated so many people with her Academy Award speech for 'Julia' that most people now would forget that she received 4 nominations for Best Actress for that. Glenda Jackson went into politics.

by Anonymousreply 78January 24, 2017 11:10 PM

R58...the story I've always read is that Tim Roth couldn't take the part because of scheduling for another job. Kind of how Dougray Scott was supposed to be Wolverine in X-Men but then had some shit movie he had to finish so we got Hugh Jackman.

Love Alan Rickman, but Tim Roth would have brought some sexiness to Snape.

by Anonymousreply 79January 25, 2017 12:23 AM

Jan Michael Vincent. And I think it was because he was generous enough to show it all in "Buster and Billie." That set off a panic in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 80January 25, 2017 1:00 AM

Columbus Short?

by Anonymousreply 81January 25, 2017 1:10 AM

{quote]Michael Muhney the tit toucher.

Had no idea who this was until I looked him up. Who wouldn't him touching your tit?

by Anonymousreply 82January 25, 2017 1:12 AM

Samantha Eggar, best actress at Cannes for William Wyler's "The Collector," did a few roles after that, like "Dr. Dolittle," but career petered out because she was reputedly a rude British diva.

Julia Ormond, much touted, got 3 big leading roles, all flopped, never did much else.

When it comes to the topic of an actor's career longevity, I love Noel Coward's observation: "Keir Dullea gone tomorrow."

by Anonymousreply 83January 25, 2017 1:56 AM

Those Teen Wolf kids now.

by Anonymousreply 84January 25, 2017 1:59 AM

Hugs and kisses !!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 25, 2017 2:03 AM

Diana Ross. After a stellar debut in "Lady Sings The Blues," and an entertaining performance in "Mahogany," she chose to force herself into the role of Dorothy in "The Wiz," which she had NO business portraying. She got the role after much begging and convincing to the producing movie studio, and a very reluctant Berry Gordy. The part was revised from a teenaged Kansas farmgirl to a thirty-something year old Harlem teacher, with additional script modifications to explain why a middle-aged women needed The Wiz experience to "find herself."

Well, the movie was a critical and commercial failure, mainly due to the miscasting of Diana Ross, the reworking of the script to accommodate her now-adult character, and the inability to transfer the magic of a phenomenal Broadway show to the big screen.

"The Wiz" was the last theatrical movie Diana Ross ever starred in. She did two TV movies afterwards. But her acting career was already flushed away for having bulldozed her way into a movie role that she didn’t deserve, and ruining the magic of the story by her appearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 25, 2017 2:08 AM

R86 Ross's second movie, Mahogany, was one of the worst films I have ever seen. Bad acting, script, directing, and plot. It was the beginning of the end for Diana's career. You haven't lived until you've seen Ross walking on a catwalk in clothes that she designed herself. Horrid film. And I wont even mention how bad Anthony Perkins was as a stereotypical villain. A big bore/laugh fest of a movie.

by Anonymousreply 87January 25, 2017 2:43 AM

Dorothy Provine. She did a commercial ad for tampons in the late 50s or early 60s, and the offers dried up. There were none.

Period.

by Anonymousreply 88January 25, 2017 2:55 AM

Katherine Heigl went from Knocked Up to kitty litter.

by Anonymousreply 89January 25, 2017 3:21 AM

heigl was terrible in knocked up. acting as in a high-school play.

by Anonymousreply 90January 25, 2017 3:24 AM

Actors and actresses who die suddenly usually lose some career momentum. Look at Heath Ledger. I mean, after he died, he didn't get much work.

by Anonymousreply 91January 25, 2017 3:26 AM

Katherine Heigel went from Knocked Up to Zzzzquil to a TV show to kitty litter. Get it right!

by Anonymousreply 92January 25, 2017 3:27 AM

I own this thread bitches.

by Anonymousreply 93January 25, 2017 3:27 AM

R6. You know I was thinking about him at first but that's actually not true. Ryan Murphy has totally revitalized his career. Cuba has actually made a nice comeback in the past year.

by Anonymousreply 94January 25, 2017 3:30 AM

I see AIKC is being his typical cunty self posting responses that don't make sense.

by Anonymousreply 95January 25, 2017 3:33 AM

Stop it R88.

R71, does David Caruso want to work now? He's had an amazingly long career for someone Hollywood hates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96January 25, 2017 3:33 AM

R95, this potshot is a good example of why so many of us DL posters opted to become anonymous when we had a choice.

by Anonymousreply 97January 25, 2017 3:36 AM

R81 is a good choice.

by Anonymousreply 98January 25, 2017 3:41 AM

Leave me out of this!

by Anonymousreply 99January 25, 2017 3:43 AM

Nicolette Sheridan.

by Anonymousreply 100January 25, 2017 3:44 AM

Louise Brooks. She would stay out all night drinking and dancing and screwing when she had a studio call at 6:00 a.m. the next day. She did a movie called "The Canary Murder Case"; some scenes were reshot and she was needed to record her lines. They offered her more money, but she declined to do it. Instead she went on a trip to New York with her boyfriend. A new actress had to be hired to dub the dialogue for Brooks, increasing the film costs. Brooks got a bad reputation for not cooperating and being irresponsible, which she deserved. She liked to make it seem that she "walked out on Hollywood" but it was Hollywood that walked out on her.

Frances Farmer. Poor Frances was like Brooks in some ways; she was surly and behaved in a way that did not endear her to many. Of course her major crack up landed her in a state asylum. She would have been better off if she'd never gone into acting.

Betty Hutton. After the big success of "Annie Get Your Gun" her career went downhill fast, some said because of a contract dispute, some said because she wanted her husband to direct her films. I've heard that she just wasn't very well liked.

by Anonymousreply 101January 25, 2017 3:45 AM

R88 Dorothy Provine had a good career in television and movies until she willingly retired in the late 1960's. Not a superstar but a good, dependable actress.

by Anonymousreply 102January 25, 2017 3:47 AM

"Also the lesser-known Michael Biehn, who was gorgeous and could have had a decent career if he hadn't blown it all by being a nasty drunk."

He DID have a "decent career." He's been working steadily for years. He was in two hugely successful movies: "The Terminator" and "Aliens." And I've never heard anywhere that he was a "nasty drunk."

by Anonymousreply 103January 25, 2017 3:47 AM

Magdalena Montezuma was the meanest spic in pictures.

by Anonymousreply 104January 25, 2017 3:48 AM

As we all know, Helen Lawson. I think the less said the better.

by Anonymousreply 105January 25, 2017 3:50 AM

Josh Hartnett could have been A-List but he turned down Superman (which he now regrets) and some other lead roles. He got a bad reputation with studio execs and He didn't work for a while. Even after PD, he can only get roles in Indie films. He's in his late 30s but his looks are going fast.

by Anonymousreply 106January 25, 2017 4:05 AM

Megan Fox is usually put out there as Exhibit A of actresses who flushed their career down the toilet. Rude, sullen and hated by the crews on her movies. Pissed off her mentor Michael Bay by trashing him in the press comparing him to Hitler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107January 25, 2017 4:06 AM

I think it was Jan Michael Vincent's addictions and mental health issues that ended his career, rather than anything else. Although he couldn't be said to be a finely skilled actor, he was kind of cute, popular, and probably could've gone on to have steady work in action films. Unfortunately, he took another path and ended up where he is now. Poor dude.

by Anonymousreply 108January 25, 2017 4:06 AM

Sharon Tate

by Anonymousreply 109January 25, 2017 4:07 AM

Michael Pitt was hailed as an upcoming new star, just like Ryan Gosling whom he starred with in that movie with Sandra Bullock (forgot the name). He was offered a lot of good roles but turned a lot of them down. He got another chance with Boardwalk Empire but was fired due to difficulties on the set and probably his drug addiction.

by Anonymousreply 110January 25, 2017 4:10 AM

Beautiful Brad Renfro, sexually abused as child, took to drugs and OD'd

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111January 25, 2017 4:13 AM

Michael Biehn is about the only person I've ever known who actually had nice things to say about James Cameron. He worked with him several times.

by Anonymousreply 112January 25, 2017 4:15 AM

Matthew Newton.

by Anonymousreply 113January 25, 2017 4:17 AM

Tommy Kirk

by Anonymousreply 114January 25, 2017 4:24 AM

Lori Petty. Paula Patton.

by Anonymousreply 115January 25, 2017 5:01 AM

Come on, r87, here's Diana giving it her all! "I'm a winner, baby! These people love me, and you can't stand it!"

Billy Dee Williams: "Let me tell you something, and don't you ever forget it -- success is nothing without someone you love to share it with."

Diana: "Get out of here with your goddamn philosophies! You're a loser and you ain't shit! And I hate you! Sob, sob, WAAAH!"

This movie was/is a campfest that actually kept her movie career rather strong. But her publicized deplorable antics for getting The Wiz role, and the movie's subsequent failure (with a large amount of the blame directed at her) ruined any further chances of a continued Hollywood career. Her hopes of becoming Barbra Streisand's movie role comparison and competition were now forever dashed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116January 25, 2017 5:20 AM

r116, I beg to differ...my mother dragged me to see this movie when I was 11 year old because she thought it had life lessons, and you know...she was right!! god damn it.

by Anonymousreply 117January 25, 2017 5:24 AM

[Quote]Her hopes of becoming Barbra Streisand's movie role comparison and competition were now forever dashed.

Her Funny Girl soundtrack album came out before Barbra's. Rumor has it that Barbra was livid, and has never forgiven Diana for that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118January 25, 2017 5:25 AM

r108, Jan Michael Vincent never did drugs...and didn't drink until he was in his late 30's, and he only did so to deal with the pain of losing his spouse.

by Anonymousreply 119January 25, 2017 5:27 AM

[Quote]my mother dragged me to see this movie when I was 11 year old because she thought it had life lessons, and you know...she was right!! god damn it.

Ooh, you're terrible, r117. But I bet your mom played the hell out of that movie's theme song! Hell, I bet you still can recite the lyrics by heart, lol.

by Anonymousreply 120January 25, 2017 5:31 AM

You are an obvious cunt expert huh hon R95? What about my posts are cuntish Connie?

Nicholas Cage

by Anonymousreply 121January 25, 2017 6:37 AM

R86 How many leading (or even supporting) roles are there for black actresses now? How many do you think that there were in 1980?

by Anonymousreply 122January 25, 2017 6:38 AM

Lara Flynn Boyle

by Anonymousreply 123January 25, 2017 6:54 AM

r114

I was a victim

by Anonymousreply 124January 25, 2017 7:24 AM

r86

Still bitter Stephanie? Well you sing like a goat.

by Anonymousreply 125January 25, 2017 8:51 AM

Stephanie was not even considered for recreating Dorothy for THE WIZ-they bluntly told her she lacked physical beauty. Poor Stephanie Mills - she clearly sings circles around Miss Ross. But she didn't have Diana's striking good looks. Even after going under the knife several times and having an image makeover, she was never what one would call beautiful. But the voice - ahhh! Ross couldn't touch her vocally.

by Anonymousreply 126January 25, 2017 9:20 AM

r126

Give it up Stephanie I wanted Miss Ross and what I say mattered, no go find a sheep to sing to.

by Anonymousreply 127January 25, 2017 9:28 AM

Yep, Mills' vocals for The Wiz are a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 128January 25, 2017 9:35 AM

Mills isn't ugly. Is she really 4'9"?

John Cusack

by Anonymousreply 129January 25, 2017 10:00 AM

[Quote][R86] How many leading (or even supporting) roles are there for black actresses now? How many do you think that there were in 1980?

Oh, not that many, r122. I'm very aware of that. But Diana was a rare breed in the 1970s. She was the epitome of a crossover success. She was practically like Barack Obama in that regard. She got the fame that most of the other Black female singers and actresses desired. Come on -- she got her Oscar nod before veteran actresses Diahann Carroll and Cicely Tyson got theirs.

For a time, she was the only Black woman who could've been given movie roles meant for White actresses, and been a success in them. For a time, she was the only exception to the rule in Mainstream America. But she was offered supporting roles, which she refused to take. She wanted and expected LEADING roles, like Barbra Streisand. She was advised to build her acting reputation through formidable supporting roles until the idea of eventually casting her in leading ones would no longer seem bold and controversial to White Hollywood producers.

But she refused. It's understandable. Why should someone of her success and stature have to drop down a peg when Barbra Streisand never had to? But that was the only option made available to her, an option other Black actresses would've sold their souls for. But Diana said "NO." When she finally got a lead in another Hollywood feature, it was for "The Wiz," which she had no business being in. After that film's failure, she was never cast again in another Hollywood feature. She blew her chances by having too big of an ego in narrow-minded Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 130January 25, 2017 10:09 AM

Dorothy Provine is wonderful in "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World", and in the documentary featurette you can watch on Youtube, her co-stars have lovely things to say about her. I always wondered what happened to her.

by Anonymousreply 131January 25, 2017 2:10 PM

Ba-WOOSH!

by Anonymousreply 132January 25, 2017 2:24 PM

R129 I agree, Mills is an attractive woman. But she was up against women like Whitney Houston, Jody Watley and dare I say it - JANET Jackson- all of whom had more camera ready looks ideal for the age of the music video.

by Anonymousreply 133January 25, 2017 2:40 PM

Irene Cara? She was a very popular actress and singer in the late 70s and early 80s, especially when the movie "Fame" came out. But what exactly happened? It seems her career suddenly dropped into a Floridian sinkhole, and then .... well, nothing. Did she do something that immediately pissed off all of the right people, and lose her career because of it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134January 25, 2017 6:06 PM

R134, all she sang was that one song, FAME, over and over again on every show on TV.

SNL did a skit about her. Forget who it was, but went out on stage and sang: "FAME! I sing the same song forever!"

by Anonymousreply 135January 25, 2017 6:11 PM

She actually had another popular song, "What A Feeling," from the Flashdance movie. After that, though, POOF, she gone!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136January 25, 2017 6:19 PM

What about semi-closeted DL Fave Seann Michael Scott? His last film where he played the main lead was "Goon" back in 2011, with mostly voice-over work and TV work since then. Does he qualify?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137January 25, 2017 6:29 PM

For that matter...the entire cast of the TV show, Fame, disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 138January 25, 2017 6:31 PM

Stephanie Mills, god bless her, was uglier than a dog's ass. No way in hell would they let her do the movie version of The Wiz.

by Anonymousreply 139January 25, 2017 6:43 PM

Meg Ryan, who forfeited her "America's Sweetheart" title the second she dumped Dennis Quaid for Russell Crowe

by Anonymousreply 140January 25, 2017 6:46 PM

Crisper Glover owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 141January 25, 2017 7:39 PM

Eric Roberts. He was more famous and admired than his sister at the beginning of his career

Michael Richards

Charles Rocket (RIP)

Where'sJoe Pesce these days?

by Anonymousreply 142January 25, 2017 7:42 PM

No r139, Stephanie looked okay after getting her whole face done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143January 25, 2017 7:47 PM

Lol 😝 the picture won't show!!!

by Anonymousreply 144January 25, 2017 7:48 PM

[Quote]Eric Roberts

Excellent choice. I had forgotten all about him

by Anonymousreply 145January 25, 2017 7:52 PM

Lots of things with Irene Cara. Drugs (she was fired from Ain't Misbehavin' for it), bad management that signed her to a horrible record contract.

by Anonymousreply 146January 25, 2017 7:57 PM

Jeanne Tripplehorn?

by Anonymousreply 147January 25, 2017 8:04 PM

Megan Fox although it's debatable if what she used to do could reasonably be called acting.

by Anonymousreply 148January 25, 2017 8:14 PM

Janine Turner?

by Anonymousreply 149January 25, 2017 8:14 PM

Isaiah Washington.

by Anonymousreply 150January 25, 2017 8:18 PM

Irene Cara was allegedly a coke fiend, and it made her impossible to work with or even be around. She was one of those people who just turn into a nuclear nightmare when they're coked-out.

by Anonymousreply 151January 25, 2017 8:22 PM

Kip Pardue

by Anonymousreply 152January 25, 2017 8:24 PM

Brad Rowe: From cover of US magazine to "WTF happened to him" in under six seconds. If the gays don't even miss him, who will?

Mia Sara

Phoebe Cates

Justin Guarini

by Anonymousreply 153January 25, 2017 9:18 PM

R137 After those Pie comedies I don't think there were many opportunities. R149 Her political views are one of the reasons she isn't working.

by Anonymousreply 154January 25, 2017 10:00 PM

Mia changed... a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155January 25, 2017 10:03 PM

R142 - Joe Pesci doesn't have to work for the rest of his life. The man spends his days golfing while counting the tons of dollars earned as one of the producers of 'Jersey Boys'.

by Anonymousreply 156January 25, 2017 10:19 PM

Julie Andrews

Hooking up with Blake Edwards was disastrous for her career.

I mean after TMM which she made at 30 she took a header off a cliff.

One respectable success with V/V and some nice TV dramas in 50 years is a waste of an enormous talent like hers.

As much as I dislike Streisand's films after What's Up Doc she continued to have a major important career throughout her life.

I hope Andrews was very happy with Edwards and her children. She gave up so much for them and if indeed she was she came out a winner.

by Anonymousreply 157January 25, 2017 10:33 PM

R142 Pesci is attached to Scorsese's next project The Irishman. Filming is due to begin in February. De Niro, Pacino, Keitel, Cannavale and Pesci. Looks very, very promising.

by Anonymousreply 158January 25, 2017 10:39 PM

r158 Aha! I knew Cannavale would become the new generation of Scorsese -Mob-Flick-Mobster eventually. He gave himself over to the dark side of the force.

by Anonymousreply 159January 25, 2017 10:48 PM

[quote]DL Fave Seann Michael Scott?

Not sure who this is; DL's fave is Seann WILLIAM Scott.

by Anonymousreply 160January 25, 2017 11:14 PM

R134 & R136 - To add onto what R146 said, it was a combination of a bad record deal, and the drug problems, Irene Cara also sued her record company due to unpaid royalties from "What a Feeling," which she co-wrote. She was blackballed from the industry for taking a stand.

by Anonymousreply 161January 25, 2017 11:16 PM

I would still love to eat Seann William Scotts ass and give him a good pounding.

by Anonymousreply 162January 25, 2017 11:17 PM

Fuck off and die, R162.

by Anonymousreply 163January 25, 2017 11:27 PM

r142, Thanks for that reminder. I remember the first time I saw Eric Roberts, in 'King of the Gypsies'. I thought he was the most beautiful man I had ever seen. He was in a bad car wreck back in 1981, which really banged up his face (and the rest of him, of course). The offers he started getting after that weren't counting on the kind of looks he had before, sort of like what happened with Montgomery Clift after his horrible car accident, when Liz supposedly saved his life by pulling his teeth out of his throat. And nothing will ever explain (to me) his relationship with Sandy Dennis, who was apparently a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 164January 25, 2017 11:38 PM

Eric Roberts was very disturbed and self destructive (his family and upbringing was quite dysfunctional). He threw caution to winds, hence getting in a bad motorcycle accident which disfigured his face. His days as a leading man actor were over after that. He became a character actor and a good one; he was nominated for an Oscar for "Runaway Train" and should have been nominated for an Oscar for "Star 80." He's still a pretty messed up person but he always had talent and he still gets work. He has several projects lined up for 2017.

by Anonymousreply 165January 26, 2017 12:08 AM

Cuba Gooding Jr is riding the biggest career high since winning his Oscar. Back to back hits with OJ and AHS:Roanoke. He did not throw his career away.

Ryder likewise was just nominated for a Golden Globe for her brilliant Stranger Things performance.

Megan Fox is nailing her arc on New Girl.

by Anonymousreply 166January 26, 2017 12:08 AM

Was it coke? I remember being a young gayling in L.A. during her "window" when she had several hits (not just those two themes, come on... "Why Me" is a great song) and Irene Cara being the first person I ever heard gossip about being a heroin addict.

She was extremely talented, though she did have to deal with her voice being compared to Donna Summer all the time.

by Anonymousreply 167January 26, 2017 12:12 AM

Thanks, R146, r151, r161. Irene Cara was quite a young talent, and although she's Cuban-Puerto Rican, she played Black roles in features like Sparkle, Roots (The Next Generation), Sister Sister, and The Medgar Evers Story. African American audiences at the time knew her quite well before her infamous role as Coco Hernandez in "Fame."

What a shame regarding her drug use and industry blackballing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168January 26, 2017 12:46 AM

R79 not quite - he said on his Twitter, which he deleted a couple of years ago, that he had to pick between two roles, Harry Potter and some other movie, and went with the one he thought was the more serious one. He's regretted it ever since. He would have been an awesome Snape, and he's a superb actor, but he's had a lot of shit roles in forgettable films in the last ten years that he probably wouldn't have had to take with the Harry Potter series on his resume.

by Anonymousreply 169January 26, 2017 2:08 AM

Okay r139, Stephanie looks ok to me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170January 26, 2017 2:17 AM

R163 - Seann, is that you? I'm not trying to hurt you, baby...I just want to make you feel good!

by Anonymousreply 171January 26, 2017 2:26 AM

Samantha Morton showed a lot of promise in Movies like Minority Report, In America and others. She supposedly suffered mental and physical health problems and has gained weight and looks awful now. I really liked her and I hope she can pull herself together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172January 26, 2017 3:57 AM

Helen Lawson ended up in a Vegas casino starring in an abridged version of Mame, which was cut to an hour so the audience could get back to the tables and slots.

It was the nadir of a once thriving career.

by Anonymousreply 173January 26, 2017 4:22 AM

So why does Madonna in a top hat look exactly like Lucy in Mame?

by Anonymousreply 174January 26, 2017 4:39 AM

Because you are farsighted?

by Anonymousreply 175January 26, 2017 4:42 AM

No she really does.

She's got that face taped up under the wig Lucille Ball look.

And the the wig is attached to a top hat and you expect Robert Preston and a chorus to come out singing to her glory.

by Anonymousreply 176January 26, 2017 4:51 AM

[quote]Helen Lawson ended up in a Vegas casino starring in an abridged version of Mame, which was cut to an hour so the audience could get back to the tables and slots.

And yet it was probably still better than the movie.

by Anonymousreply 177January 26, 2017 4:51 AM

Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 178January 26, 2017 4:55 AM

Did Michael Biehn ever fix that short labial frenulum which pulled his upper lip?

by Anonymousreply 179January 26, 2017 6:55 AM

R48 fuck the academy for nominating hom this year, they haven't minded snubbing people in the past so they should have snubbed him this time for Hacksaw Ridge. Isn't Garfield a jew and accepted working with Gibson? They used each other to benefit themselves no doubt. Gibson lives for the acclaim. Garfield was supposed to make this thread after his failed spider man franchise and for making ridiculous statements and even criticizing his movies publicly right after they were released. Thanks Gibson... Not!

by Anonymousreply 180January 26, 2017 7:17 AM

Andrew Garfield is dangerously close to being here after snubbing THE HEAD CEO of Sony Pictures who wrote a far more glowing speech dedicated to him than he deserved 2 hours before the ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 181January 26, 2017 7:23 AM

Why did he do that? Was it Amazing Amy Pascal or someone new?

by Anonymousreply 182January 26, 2017 10:49 AM

Julia Ormond had a supporting role in The East. I liked it and her in it. The film didn't make big figures.

by Anonymousreply 183January 26, 2017 10:59 AM

Two words: Stephen Collins

by Anonymousreply 184January 26, 2017 12:45 PM

I remember an interview with Irene Cara around the time of "Fame" where she came across as VERY arrogant. Attitude issues were even mentioned in the accompanying article, which mentioned that she'd acquired the insider nickname "Irene Careless"!

by Anonymousreply 185January 26, 2017 1:21 PM

Donna Summer should've sung the theme to Fame. I wonder why that didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 186January 26, 2017 3:12 PM

Ingrid Bergman, for a long stretch in the '50s after the Rossellini scandal.

by Anonymousreply 187January 26, 2017 3:13 PM

Irene Cara didn't have the best voice either. Cruise ship lounge level singing. She could act though.

by Anonymousreply 188January 26, 2017 3:58 PM

Michael Schoeffling

by Anonymousreply 189January 26, 2017 4:01 PM

Schoeffing quit Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 190January 26, 2017 4:09 PM

[quote] I knew Cannavale would become the new generation of Scorsese -Mob-Flick-Mobster

There will definitely be a scene where Cannavale snorts cocaine, throws his head back, bugs out his eyes and pinches his nostrils together. He will then go, "Woooooooh!" followed by a montage of him strutting around with crazy big eyes at a nightclub, a liquor store, a whorehouse, another nightclub, and behind the wheel of a car where he struts with his head instead of his legs.

by Anonymousreply 191January 26, 2017 4:11 PM

r190 Or did Hollywood quit him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192January 26, 2017 4:14 PM

[quote] Thanks, [R146], [R151], [R161]. Irene Cara was quite a young talent, and although she's Cuban-Puerto Rican, she played Black roles in features like Sparkle, Roots (The Next Generation), Sister Sister, and The Medgar Evers Story.

She actually played a Latina on [italic]What's Happening!![/italic] when she was the Mexican girl Rerun almost married so she could stay in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 193January 26, 2017 4:17 PM

[quote]Julie Andrews; Hooking up with Blake Edwards was disastrous for her career.

Would she still have had a career in film if she didn't? [italic]Star![/italic] lost $10 million for 20th, and [italic]Darling Lili[/italic] lost a similar amount of money for Paramount; even the two Sherman Brothers musicals she turned down to do them did better without her! The New Hollywood artificially engineered backlash against musicals hit her hardest of all because two of the three films all those others were made in response to were ones she was in. Her TV variety show in the 1970s was also a flop that only lasted a year, and she barely made any movies that decade while she took time off to raise the two adopted kids. And in 1977, the issue of People Magazine with her on the cover was the lowest-selling issue of the year. The early 1980s home video debuts of her first two film musicals helped, and they coincided with the two films she made that revitalized her career briefly. She even recorded a country album around the same time! If she had kept up her voice, she would be working more on Broadway and in Hollywood in more than just shitty kids' films with Larry the Cable Guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194January 26, 2017 4:37 PM

What about Phillip Michael Thomas? He wanted to become the first EGOT winner, but I don't remember that happening. After "Miami Vice," he more or less disappeared.

He was fine as hell in his heyday, but according to Pam Grier's autobiography, he seemed to be a fuckboy.

by Anonymousreply 195January 26, 2017 5:45 PM

In all honesty, most of the names here are people who were incredibly lucky to stumble upon one successful role given how marginally talented they were in the first place. They didn't flush their careers down the toilet - they were very fortunate to have one. On the other hand, Mickey Rourke is a perfect example of someone the thread is supposed to be about.

by Anonymousreply 196January 26, 2017 6:05 PM

Bergman didn't flush her acting career down the toilet in the 50s. True, she was essentially blacklisted from Hollywood and denounced on the Senate floor. And yet, during her exile she she made five films with Rossellini and one with Jean Renoir. And then came back and won her second Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 197January 26, 2017 6:11 PM

I think you prove my point with how pathetic her career became when she started her relationship with Edwards.

At least Star! had an excellent soundtrack album but Lili is abysmal and then came the TV show and The Tamarind Seed.

She should have returned to Broadway much sooner but financially she didn't need to.

Andrews was too great a talent and she needed other advisors and management rather than Edwards.

Look at somebody like Lansbury who though was never a movie star like she wanted to be still had a first rate career full of achievement.

by Anonymousreply 198January 26, 2017 6:24 PM

[quote] I think you prove my point with how pathetic her career became when she started her relationship with Edwards.

Blake Edwards had nothing to do with [italic]Star![/italic], and the problems with that film begin and end with Bea Lillie refusing to allow someone else to play a younger version of herself, and when they cut the film they cut the songs instead of the scenes. Why, I will never understand, but it sealed its fate, and the only reason the uncut version survived is because the cuts were only for 35mm and the negative was left unharmed. But to me it seemed like there was a lot of schadenfreude in the industry over her having two expensive flops in a row. But what if she had never married Edwards? If she had married someone else, there's no guarantee that theoretical someone else would have resulted in a better career. Things might have turned out even worse for her had she taken another path. Doris Day and Helen Reddy both let their husbands manage them; Doris ended up broke when Marty Melcher died and had to do a CBS sitcom to pay the bills, and Helen essentially got de-platformed with the 1980s-era backlash against feminism and with her divorce from Jeff Wald, who almost died from his cocaine abuse. Compared to them, she came out ahead.

[quote]Look at somebody like Lansbury who though was never a movie star like she wanted to be still had a first rate career full of achievement.

Not being a movie star at a young age was probably the best thing that ever happened to Angela Lansbury. It forced her to work that much harder, and as a result some of her greatest successes were later in her life.

by Anonymousreply 199January 26, 2017 6:37 PM

[quote] In all honesty, most of the names here are people who were incredibly lucky to stumble upon one successful role given how marginally talented they were in the first place. They didn't flush their careers down the toilet - they were very fortunate to have one. On the other hand, Mickey Rourke is a perfect example of someone the thread is supposed to be about.

Regardless of perceived levels of talent, any actor is lucky to work and beyond "lucky" to achieve super stardom. And even they have a very limited shelf life.

by Anonymousreply 200January 26, 2017 6:48 PM

Wow I didn't know that, R106. And not only did he turn down Superman, but Batman AND Spiderman in order to return home to try to re-kindle things with his high school girlfriend. What a hopeless romantic! I guess he thought Hollywood would be waiting for him, but there are pretty boys coming in by the busload every day. I really like him and hope he continues to get work in indies, which I prefer to brain dead blockbusters.

by Anonymousreply 201January 26, 2017 7:12 PM

The public, myself included, do not like Julie Andrews. She is a very dull girl and so fucking fake. People love TSoM. She was right for it, though too cloying even there. Victor/Victoria is a fun film, Andrews is the weak link. She's so damn plummy. Her voice doesn't serve the music. But she looks good in short hair. The end.

by Anonymousreply 202January 26, 2017 7:15 PM

[quote]Her voice doesn't serve the music.

That was kind of the point: Victoria Grant, in addition to being a woman pretending to be a man pretending to be a woman, was a legitimate soprano trying to turn herself into a red hot mama.

by Anonymousreply 203January 26, 2017 7:18 PM

I know that Edwards had nothing to do with Star! that's why I said at least something good came of it if only a soundtrack album.

But Edward's Lili was the nail in the coffin. She should have run very far. She was paid I believe 1 million dollars NOT to make the Irving Berlin Say It With Music movie.

If there wasn't Lili we might have gotten her and Van Dyke in She Loves Me. Can you imagine?

I saw The Tamarind Seed the first performance at a packed Radio City. People wanted it to be good and it wasn't.

In her 30s she was in the prime of her life and career wise she has nothing to show for it. Not even a stunning return to Broadway.

I laughed when Michael Feingold wrote in the Voice, 'The answer to Andrew's career woes is divorce.'

She's cherished today for two movies. And they opened within a year of each other.

For a talent like hers when she's lived to 80 that's very little.

by Anonymousreply 204January 26, 2017 7:19 PM

And what else R202 "do" the public, yourself included, not like. perhaps subject/verb agreement?

by Anonymousreply 205January 26, 2017 7:24 PM

[quote] But Edward's Lili was the nail in the coffin. She should have run very far. She was paid I believe 1 million dollars NOT to make the Irving Berlin Say It With Music movie. If there wasn't Lili we might have gotten her and Van Dyke in She Loves Me. Can you imagine?

I thought that was cancelled when James Aubrey became head of M-G-M, auctioned off several things he and he alone perceived to be worthless, and slashed the budgets on whatever was left over. His ultimate revenge to the recently deceased Judy Garland was tearing up Emerald City and selling off the Ruby Slippers. I'm surprised that the mega-musical craze didn't result in more musicals from M-G-M, of all studios. All they had was [italic]Goodbye, Mr. Chips[/italic] (which wasn't all that expensive compared to most of the others), [italic]The Boyfriend[/italic] (another theatrical hatchet job now restored for DVD), and [italic]The Great Waltz[/italic], which vanished pretty quickly. Perhaps if not for their money problems there would be more; all their talk of "Lion Power" and they barely had any hits but [italic]2001: A Space Odyssey[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 206January 26, 2017 7:29 PM

Julie Andrews also has a legacy that includes "My Fair Lady", "Camelot", Rodgers & Hammerstein's "Cinderella" that was written for her, "The Boy Friend", lots of recordings, tv clips, "SOB", "Victor/Victoria", "That's Life" with Jack Lemmon I think made money, and other work as children's book writer, director, throughout the years. Yes, she should have come back to Broadway years ago, and yes, she really should have worked more in the 1970s. But it's quite a career.

Even with that career, Deanna Durbin (and Jeanette McDonald) are the biggest soprano movie stars. Durbin had a great dozen years or so -- even being the highest paid woman in the world a couple of years - and then wanted out. McDonald started out co-starring with Maurice Chevalier in funny, sexy romps at Paramount directed by Lubitsch and Rouben Mamoulian, then she was made more prim and proper when teamed successfully with Nelson Eddy at MGM. When her film career started to peter out, she turned to opera and concerts and had great success -- especially getting fine reviews in "Faust" and "Romeo et Juliette" at Chicago Lyric Opera.

by Anonymousreply 207January 26, 2017 7:29 PM

[quote]Not even a stunning return to Broadway.

Oh, people were stunned when she returned to Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208January 26, 2017 7:32 PM

Keanu Reeves ruined his career because he really can not tell a good script from a bad script. And he refuses to clean up.

by Anonymousreply 209January 26, 2017 7:34 PM

And every time he lucks upon a good script, he's usually the weak link in it.

by Anonymousreply 210January 26, 2017 7:40 PM

Jake! Jake! he still looks handsome as hell R192,who among us(except for the delusional) still look like they did 30 years ago!

by Anonymousreply 211January 26, 2017 7:50 PM

[quote] She's cherished today for two movies. And they opened within a year of each other.

Only one of those was any good, and it's not the one she won the Oscar for.

by Anonymousreply 212January 26, 2017 7:59 PM

Yeah, I never understood the Julie Andrews thing. Boring vocals, boring acting, just boring everything.

by Anonymousreply 213January 26, 2017 8:13 PM

[quote]The answer to Andrew's career woes is divorce.'

What's the answer to an inability to distinguish plurals from possessives?

by Anonymousreply 214January 26, 2017 8:40 PM

I can not stand sound of Music but I kind of liked the live TV version, at least I got through it and was able to watch ten whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 215January 26, 2017 8:42 PM

Keanu has worked steadily for over 30 years. He's starred in some huge blockbusters. He knows what it's like to be A list +. He is in his 50's now, so he's no longer part of the new shiny toys set, but he's had a career 99.9% actors would kill for. What the hell is he doing here?

by Anonymousreply 216January 26, 2017 8:49 PM

I've never been able to sit through more than a few minutes of Sound of Music, R215. Glad to know I'm not alone.

by Anonymousreply 217January 26, 2017 8:50 PM

He also aged well, r216.

by Anonymousreply 218January 26, 2017 8:51 PM

Samantha Mathis was very pretty and a decent enough actress. After the death of River Phoenix seemed to disappear. I heard rumors of mental health issues and drug problems. Recently appeared on that shitty zombie show The Strain.

by Anonymousreply 219January 26, 2017 8:54 PM

Me either R215 R217! Every time I see footage of her spinning across those fucking hills I wish a Nazi would jump up and gun her down!

by Anonymousreply 220January 26, 2017 9:27 PM

I remember hearing rumours of folks telling Mathis (who was there that night) to get River to the hospital and she was snotty back. Until it was too late. Remember that?

She was a bore as an actor anyway. As was her mother, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 221January 26, 2017 9:29 PM

I does not like Julie Anderson, The Hills Have Eyes or R205.

by Anonymousreply 222January 26, 2017 10:11 PM

McDonald was pretty terrific and is little appreciated today.

Not only her early sophisticated musicals at Paramount but her prim prima donna musicals at MGM are enormously entertaining as well.

And Lubitsch's The Merry Widow has some of the most amazing designs and camera work ever.

by Anonymousreply 223January 26, 2017 10:44 PM

Ugh!

Ya got me R214.

by Anonymousreply 224January 26, 2017 10:46 PM

All those people having hissy fits about Trump. They don't know it yet but at least half of their fans are now ex-fans.

by Anonymousreply 225January 26, 2017 10:50 PM

I agree.

Hepburn should have won for MFL. And yes I know she wasn't nominated.

Andrews should have won for SOM.

Even if you don't like Andrews like Leigh in GWTW it is one of the most indelible performances in screen history.

by Anonymousreply 226January 26, 2017 10:52 PM

For those of you who keep referring to Julie Andrews' most famous roles, I'd like to direct you to another thread. I love her, but have never even watched one scene of the saccharine nonsense that is the 'The Sound of Music'. Dame Andrews has had a VERY long professional career, and has never been shy to admit to her vocal limitations (not suited for real opera, despite her training, eg.).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227January 26, 2017 11:00 PM

I thought Julie Andrews voice was ruined by a vocal surgery that went wrong? Phillip Michael Thomas actually had a necklace made for him that said EGOT, because he was going to win all 4 of those awards in a short period of time.

I thought it was "What a Feeling" that Donna was supposed to sing? I would think the theme song would be sung from the perspective of one of the cast members (which Cara was). Cuba Gooding Jr. took paycheck parts for years and was lucky that Ryan Murphy put him in the OJ miniseries.

That's not Michael Schoeffling R192.

by Anonymousreply 228January 26, 2017 11:01 PM

Veronica Lake owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 229January 26, 2017 11:14 PM

R4, If your film debut was opposite Lauren Bacall, you'd become a nasty drunk too.

by Anonymousreply 230January 27, 2017 12:18 AM

You love Andrews and have never seen SOM?

That is very peculiar.

It is one of the all time great performances in a movie musical.

And even if you think it is saccharine nonsense-and what musical isn't?-it has one of the all time great Broadway scores.

Just listen to the obc one of the very best.

Even Saul Chaplin who co-produced the movie and didn't like the show considered the score among R and H's best work.

by Anonymousreply 231January 27, 2017 12:18 AM

Debbie Reynolds always bemoaned losing the Oscar for Molly Brown to Julie Andrews, but I sat through Molly Brown the other day on TCM and it was really a bad movie and Debbie's performance was disappointingly inferior, at times cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 232January 27, 2017 12:25 AM

I stopped reading after r132, so sorry if that has already been asked and answered. My question is to r7: is that a very young Debra Winger?

by Anonymousreply 233January 27, 2017 12:30 AM

Through much of Molly Brown Debbie is embarrassing until she goes through her European phase.

Her nomination was an affectionate nod by the Hollywood community.

by Anonymousreply 234January 27, 2017 12:32 AM

R207, Jeanette was cast as the middle aged pregnant wife in The Thrill of It All, with Doris Day, but the heart problem that later led to her death prevented her from remaining with the film and she was replaced by Arlene Francis.

by Anonymousreply 235January 27, 2017 12:33 AM

Mischa Barton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236January 27, 2017 12:34 AM

R233, Winger in "Urban Cowboy", hence the hat. Sex on legs somehow.

by Anonymousreply 237January 27, 2017 12:35 AM

[quote] Irene Cara was allegedly a coke fiend, and it made her impossible to work with or even be around. She was one of those people who just turn into a nuclear nightmare when they're coked-out.

Irene had a pilot on NBC in 1981, but they passed on it and chose [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] instead, and once it caught on, Nell Carter managed to get over her coke problems in time to save the show, her career and her life (at least for another 20 years).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238January 27, 2017 12:42 AM

Speaking of Miss Reynolds, tomorrow is TCM's day to honor her:

6:00 AM It Started With A Kiss (1959).

7:45 AM Bundle of Joy (1956)

9:30 AM How the West Was Won (1962)

12:30 PM The Tender Trap (1955)

2:30 PM Hit The Deck (1955)

4:30 PM I Love Melvin (1953)

6:00 PM Singin' In the Rain (1952)

8:00 PM The Unsinkable Molly Brown (1964)

10:30 PM The Mating Game (1959)

12:30 AM The Catered Affair (1956)

2:15 AM The Singing Nun (1966)

4:00 AM How Sweet It Is (1968)

by Anonymousreply 239January 27, 2017 12:43 AM

Courtney Cox

by Anonymousreply 240January 27, 2017 12:46 AM

Debbie's acting in the Molly Brown hillbilly scenes wasn't even worthy of a sketch on The Red Skelton Show.

by Anonymousreply 241January 27, 2017 12:51 AM

Adrien Brody.

by Anonymousreply 242January 27, 2017 12:53 AM

R239, Sorry TCM is not including "Divorce American Style".

by Anonymousreply 243January 27, 2017 12:53 AM

[quote] Courtney Cox

AKA the weak link in a show made up of nothing but weak links.

by Anonymousreply 244January 27, 2017 12:55 AM

Arlene Frances is embarrassing in The Thrill of it All.

Back in that era a 40 year old, ok.

But a woman pushing 60 is ludicrous.

Jeanette McDonald would have been equally embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 245January 27, 2017 12:57 AM

Andy Gibb. His first three songs went to number one, but he had a raging cocaine addiction. His brother Barry had to step in a provide many of the vocals for his final studio album because he was so strung out on drugs and his voice was failing, he was 21 at the time. He was supposed to launch his film career with Grease 2, playing ONJ's cousin but failed his screen test and was dropped from RSO. He was supposed to do a Bob Hope special but wouldn't come out of his house when the limo came to pick him up. Bob Hope had him blackballed at NBC. He blew every opportunity including two stage shows and the hosting stint on Solid Gold.

by Anonymousreply 246January 27, 2017 1:00 AM

Surprised there hasn't been an Andy Gibb biopic. He was hot hot hot and then his death was one of those River Phoenix type shockers. Oscar bait for someone (and I hadn't even heard all of R246's good stuff).

by Anonymousreply 247January 27, 2017 1:02 AM

R240 I disagree about Courtney Cox. She's had a very good career for someone of limited talent. She's grabbed every opportunity and made the most of it. 2 highly successful series, 1 moderately successful series and a big film franchise isn't bad.

by Anonymousreply 248January 27, 2017 1:07 AM

But she didn't have the kind of spunk that got me cast as Tonya Harding.

by Anonymousreply 249January 27, 2017 1:15 AM

R246, There was also the issue of his turbulent relationship with Victoria Principal.

by Anonymousreply 250January 27, 2017 1:30 AM

I like Julie Andrews and ITA that Blake Edwards was a disaster for her career. He was obsessed with ham-handedly shooting down her supposed governess image to show her off as the most vulgar kind of sexy, which she wasn't. You can't make her a hot mama, and there's no reason for her to have tried. There's such a thing as a sort of natural appeal, which she definitely had. I love "The Americanization of Emily" even though Chayevsky's script has way too many didactic speeches. She plays a war widow who has an affair with James Garner. No singing. Looks great, plays a savvy, experienced young adult who has humor and charm (Garner sees a picture of her husband and says "He looks like a rogue" and she laughs and says "He was bawdy.") She should have alternated singing projects with normal roles, not fucking "vehicles" created by her husband.

Didn't Phoebe Cates marry Kevin Kline and that's why she left the screen? Years ago I saw her in Much Ado About Nothing at the Delacorte/Shakespeare in the Park with her husband and Blythe Danner. Terrible role and she was terrible in it (she played the put upon ingenue).

Edward Norton ruined his career.

Meg Ryan - she might have squeezed a few more years out of her career. After all, Diane Keaton, who also did quirky and disingenuous, was a generation ahead and managed to continue on as she aged. Her problem was she didn't realize that she didn't have the same power/leverage at 38 with Russell Crowe than she might have had ten years before. Ten years before she could have run off with the then hottest new leading man in Hollywood (he's awful, but that was his press). At 38 she was older than he was and she couldn't close the deal. Everyone knew it before she did. Her p.r. people - and even Crowe - were constantly strategizing to bail her out of it with her image intact. Everyone knew he escaped and basically dumped her. They called in the paps to show them canoodling while eating in the window of some restaurant - it's as staged as the time Gwyneth Paltrow and her husband pretended to have "just learned about her pregnancy" so they could stage paparazzi candids for one of their photographer relatives to sell to the tabloids. Then came a people magazine cover where they claimed she was happier than she'd ever been, more in demand as an actress, and was confident in her decision not to marry Crowe, because he lives in Australia and she needed to parent her son in L.A. That was the last straw and there was outright derision in the letters section that responded to the People cover.

by Anonymousreply 251January 27, 2017 1:31 AM

[quote]Me either [R215] [R217]! Every time I see footage of her spinning across those fucking hills I wish a Nazi would jump up and gun her down!

Or force her into the gas chamber with his foot, then skin her gassed body and make a lampshade out of her skin while her body burns in the crematiorium!

We get it - you HATE Julie Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 252January 27, 2017 1:35 AM

[quote] Andy Gibb. His first three songs went to number one, but he had a raging cocaine addiction. His brother Barry had to step in a provide many of the vocals for his final studio album because he was so strung out on drugs and his voice was failing, he was 21 at the time. He was supposed to launch his film career with Grease 2, playing ONJ's cousin but failed his screen test and was dropped from RSO. He was supposed to do a Bob Hope special but wouldn't come out of his house when the limo came to pick him up. Bob Hope had him blackballed at NBC. He blew every opportunity including two stage shows and the hosting stint on Solid Gold.

So I became a willing dupe of the War on Drugs for nothing while Henry was popping pills behind my back?

by Anonymousreply 253January 27, 2017 1:38 AM

[quote] I like Julie Andrews and ITA that Blake Edwards was a disaster for her career. He was obsessed with ham-handedly shooting down her supposed governess image to show her off as the most vulgar kind of sexy, which she wasn't. You can't make her a hot mama, and there's no reason for her to have tried. There's such a thing as a sort of natural appeal, which she definitely had. I love "The Americanization of Emily" even though Chayevsky's script has way too many didactic speeches. She plays a war widow who has an affair with James Garner. No singing. Looks great, plays a savvy, experienced young adult who has humor and charm (Garner sees a picture of her husband and says "He looks like a rogue" and she laughs and says "He was bawdy.") She should have alternated singing projects with normal roles, not fucking "vehicles" created by her husband.

In [italic]Duet for One[/italic] she did a nude scene without Blake Edwards' involvement, but she showed she could still do drama.

by Anonymousreply 254January 27, 2017 1:40 AM

I liked Julie in "That's Life!", a 1986 film with Jack Lemmon.

by Anonymousreply 255January 27, 2017 1:46 AM

Those two movies aren't even on DVD yet. Were they really that bad?

by Anonymousreply 256January 27, 2017 1:48 AM

[quote] Surprised there hasn't been an Andy Gibb biopic. He was hot hot hot and then his death was one of those River Phoenix type shockers. Oscar bait for someone (and I hadn't even heard all of [R246]'s good stuff).

Garrett Clayton could easily play Andy. All he'd need is a wig and some period clothes, and teach him to sing falsetto, and he's good to go.

by Anonymousreply 257January 27, 2017 1:50 AM

RE: Andy Gibb - I heard he actually OD'ed by injecting too much cocaine into his penis. Is that an urban legend?

//never taken cocaine before, is that even possible?

by Anonymousreply 258January 27, 2017 1:59 AM

There was also the young actress who was fired from an off-Broadway Dracula because of her creepy, interfering father-manager, who finally menaced one of the actors. There was such tension that they replaced her even though they were just about to open.

I don't recall her name, but if you google "Dracula father fired," it will come up.

She;s supposed to be talented, but this kind of thing warns everybody against one. Fathers are not supposed to come to rehearsals, much less get aggressive with actors.

by Anonymousreply 259January 27, 2017 1:59 AM

Mena Suvari.

by Anonymousreply 260January 27, 2017 2:01 AM

Myocarditis R258. His heart was weak from the years of drug and alcohol abuse. He was in England writing material for a new album and got freaked out by the pressure and not being able to write. He started drinking shortly before his death. When he died his brother Robin found a bunch of liquor bottles under his bed.

by Anonymousreply 261January 27, 2017 2:04 AM

[quote]After all, Diane Keaton, who also did quirky and disingenuous, was a generation ahead and managed to continue on as she aged.

Diane Keaton is a great actress, quirky on the side. Don't compare her to the narrow talent of Julie Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 262January 27, 2017 2:07 AM

Dennis Christopher. Hart Bochner.

by Anonymousreply 263January 27, 2017 2:08 AM

[quote]Those two movies aren't even on DVD yet. Were they really that bad?

"Out on DVD YET?" Are you posting from 2002? WTF is "out on DVD" in 2017? Are you a 100 year-old shut in? Out on DVD? For fuck's sake!

Get on streaming, Methuselah!

by Anonymousreply 264January 27, 2017 2:09 AM

Jared from subway

by Anonymousreply 265January 27, 2017 2:09 AM

R264: Those movies aren't on streaming either.

by Anonymousreply 266January 27, 2017 2:11 AM

R250 Victoria loved Andy but grew tired of his drug addiction. She gave him an ultimatum-the drugs or her. You see what happened.

by Anonymousreply 267January 27, 2017 2:24 AM

Constance Wu, one can only hope.

by Anonymousreply 268January 27, 2017 2:25 AM

Did Gwyneth Paltrow sabotage her career? She's been quotas saying some really insufferable shit. And her Goop webpage is so snooty and elitist to the point of being offensive. And she doesn't seem to be making many films.

by Anonymousreply 269January 27, 2017 2:26 AM

"Two words: Stephen Collins."

He didn't flush his career down the toilet. His vengeful wife leaked a tape of him admitting to admitting to past sexual abuse of a minor. And that was that? But how many OTHER actors have done the same thing? Probably most of them.

by Anonymousreply 270January 27, 2017 2:28 AM

Thora Birch was the one fired from Dracula. Her father came off as threatening to an actor who was massaging her back in a scene they were rehearsing. She was also fired from Election in 1998. She is getting work again, but is still in denial about how damaging her fathers actions were to her career. A lo

by Anonymousreply 271January 27, 2017 2:29 AM

David Cassidy

by Anonymousreply 272January 27, 2017 2:34 AM

O. J.

by Anonymousreply 273January 27, 2017 2:36 AM

Victoria was using, recreationally and could take or leave it. I think he was much more enamored of her then she was of him. She had been around the block and he really had not in terms of relationships. He was devastated when they broke up and it took him a long time to get over it. She started dating Harry Glassman within a month or two after they broke up and eventually married and divorced him.

by Anonymousreply 274January 27, 2017 2:40 AM

R270, Steven Collins was the child rapist or molester (can't remember which), not his wife. With that kind of skeleton in his closet, it would have behooved him to keep her wife happy. Undoubtedly there was more than enough bad behavior on his part to go around. So yeah, he flushed his career down the toilet with his bad behavior. Don't try shifting the blame from the perpetrator by putting it on the person who reported him.

by Anonymousreply 275January 27, 2017 2:46 AM

Worth viewing . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276January 27, 2017 2:47 AM

"But how many OTHER actors have done the same thing? Probably most of them."

Let me guess, you are one of those freepers looking for any excuse to bash "evil Librul Hollywood"

No, most actors are not child molesters.

by Anonymousreply 277January 27, 2017 2:48 AM

I liked Andrews in "Duet For One" too. Remember that? It was a Cannon film when they were trying for Oscar and respectability. Instead, they went out of business. But it was a nice try.

by Anonymousreply 278January 27, 2017 2:49 AM

There's some good pictures of Andy Gibb at the Getty Images archive. There's a series of pics from Maureen McGovern's birthday party show him getting more drunk/high as the night progresses.

Stephen Collins wife got somewhat screwed in their divorce settlement. I think she was wanting alimony and once the tape came out, he was dropped from every project he was attached to which left him with no income.

by Anonymousreply 279January 27, 2017 2:54 AM

So damn cute. And with DL fave Donna Pescow, no less. Thanks for the tip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280January 27, 2017 2:57 AM

"So yeah, he flushed his career down the toilet with his bad behavior. Don't try shifting the blame from the perpetrator by putting it on the person who reported him."

HE didn't flush his career down the toilet. His wife did, by releasing a tape. As for his "bad behavior"...well, there are probably a lot of actor who have fucked underage girls. I don't think Stephen Collins is one bit unusual in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 281January 27, 2017 3:06 AM

"No, most actors are not child molesters.'

LOTS of actors have fucked underage girls. If you don't believe that, then you're living in a dreamworld. You don't know much about Hollywood, do you?

by Anonymousreply 282January 27, 2017 3:08 AM

"With that kind of skeleton in his closet, it would have behooved him to keep her wife happy. "

Judging from her actions, it would appear that his wife was the Bitch From Hell.

by Anonymousreply 283January 27, 2017 3:09 AM

Weren't the tapes that the ex wife released from therapy sessions cause Collins realized he was a perv? I'm torn on the Collins thing cause it's wrong to release something from a therapy session, specifically as he was seeking help for being a perv.

by Anonymousreply 284January 27, 2017 3:11 AM

Benicio del Toro has no place on this list. Nor does Antonio Banderas. Cuba Gooding just played the lead in the #1 mini-series of the year for pete's sake.

The one who REALLY sunk his career was Eugene Pallette, aka Friar Tuck from the Errol FLynn Robin Hood film.

Eugene stopped production mid-scene of an Otto Preminger film because he loudly said he resented working with a n....r in front of the actor - in 1943.

Eugene expressed admiration for Hitler DURING THE WAR.

Eugene fled Hollywood to live in a bomb shelter.

His busy career ended after 1946.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285January 27, 2017 3:12 AM

Jake Gyllenhaal.

by Anonymousreply 286January 27, 2017 3:17 AM

Brad Davis. After the success of "Midnight Express" he went hog wild with the drugs and booze and sex. At a party, observing his behavior, one onlooker said "there goes that career." And there it went. He did some minor movies after that, some tv, but due to his hell raising he was not in demand as an actor. Several years after "Midnight Express" he went to a film festival and people approached him, asking where he'd been, what had he been doing all this time. They thought he hadn't worked since "Midnight Express." He got sober and later found out he had AIDS. Rather than continue to suffer, he ended his own life. A very sad Hollywood story. Anyone who wants to know more about him should read "After Midnight: the life and death of Brad Davis" by his wife Susan Bluestein. It tells his story very well and since she was a casting director, it gives the reader some interesting information on the inner workings of Hollywood and the ups and downs of an actor's career.

by Anonymousreply 287January 27, 2017 3:24 AM

r271 - it wasn't just that Thora Birch's damn was weirdly controlling (he was), it was that he was unnaturally obsessed with her and it was suspected that he was either perving on her or actually molesting her. Cast and crew were said to feel extremely uncomfortable about her behavior.

For those who don't know her/recognize her name, she was the daughter in "American Beauty" (not the blonde on trying to seduce the Thora's character's dad - if i recall that part of the movie correctly).

by Anonymousreply 288January 27, 2017 3:48 AM

"about *his behavior"

by Anonymousreply 289January 27, 2017 3:54 AM

Sharon Stone -- should have done smart comedy stuff after Basic Instinct -- the closest thing to what that movie was -- but she instead went down a humorless genre hole (Sliver, Quick and the Dead, Specialist, Sphere). She was good in the Albert Brooks movie The Muse but, by then, no one cared about her anymore -- I always wonder if Hollywood didn't give her much to do because they knew something that might get out about her -- something incriminating.

by Anonymousreply 290January 27, 2017 4:09 AM

[quote]Judging from her actions, it would appear that his wife was the Bitch From Hell.

He married her, so that was on him too.

No sympathy for Steven Collins from me. There's an old saying, if you can't do the time, then don't do the crime.

I don't care if every actor in Hollywood was screwing young girls, it's still against the law. Anyway, that 'everyone else is doing it' excuse doesn't cut it.

by Anonymousreply 291January 27, 2017 4:24 AM

R268= Casey Affleck

by Anonymousreply 292January 27, 2017 4:27 AM

Winona

by Anonymousreply 293January 27, 2017 4:32 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294January 27, 2017 5:18 AM

Thora Birch showed so much promise especially in Ghostworld. That is so sad.

by Anonymousreply 295January 27, 2017 5:24 AM

r294 , who is that?

r295 , she was supposed be one of those "next big thing" actresses.

by Anonymousreply 296January 27, 2017 5:31 AM

Who is R294?

by Anonymousreply 297January 27, 2017 5:45 AM

Wow, the Thora Birch/Dad thing gets even more twisted when you find out that both of her parents were porn actors on "Deep Throat" and also that he gave her co-star a thumbs up (good job) during a sex scene on one of her movies when she was 26 years old.

by Anonymousreply 298January 27, 2017 5:56 AM

R296, R297, Next big thing, Emily Lloyd

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299January 27, 2017 6:07 AM

Wow, looks nothing like her (Emily Lloyd). She looks sadder than my dog and i look having to take a walk in the pouring rain.

by Anonymousreply 300January 27, 2017 6:12 AM

Patti Dukes. She really went downhill fast, aged rapidly, and was destructive to her life and career. She was done before I was born but because of DL I watched some shit with her in it. Other than The Miracle Worker and her TV show, it was all shit. She wasn't even a ham, just a bad actress who overplayed every moment. That Christmas memory story - oy. She never won anything because she was terrible. I think Streep might have chunneled P Duke for her own terrible performance in August Osage County.

by Anonymousreply 301January 27, 2017 6:21 AM

R13 missed the whole point of this thread. Deanna Durbin deliberately flushed her own career down the toilet because she didn't want it anymore. Her life became exactly what she wanted.

Every other actor on here fucked the selves over with bad behavior or drugs or alcohol or stupid career choices. None of them wanted to lose their acting careers.

by Anonymousreply 302January 27, 2017 7:02 AM

If Stephen Collins' wife was the bitch from hell, then why did he marry her?

You can't say he didn't know she was like that. Even if the other person, male or female, is hiding it, there are always signs. I know a guy who started an affair with another guy. Early on, there was some misunderstanding about meeting up for dinner, and when my friend came home, the guy was waiting for him outside his apartment building. Angry as heck.

And that was the end of that relationship-, then and there. My friend reasoned that anyone who'd go off on you for a misunderstanding would be...yes, a bitch from hell.

Moral: You always know. As my high-school algebra teacher at Friends Academy, Mrs. Schmidt, used to say, "A word to the wise should be sufficient."

by Anonymousreply 303January 27, 2017 8:24 AM

Here's an interesting interview article about Thora Birch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304January 27, 2017 10:19 AM

Mia Farrow, who made the career and life mistakes of hooking up with the likes of Frank Sinatra and Woody Allen. After a brilliant performance in "Rosemary's Baby", she should have paid more attention to her career and role choices.

by Anonymousreply 305January 27, 2017 10:29 AM

r304 - thanks for that. she sounds like she might be a bit delusional. too bad.

by Anonymousreply 306January 27, 2017 4:00 PM

Johnny Depp should definitely be here. He has been a disgusting pig for a number of years. He looks like he hasn't brushed his teeth in a decade and doesn't shower more than once a month. But miraculously, he continues to get decent roles.

by Anonymousreply 307January 27, 2017 4:18 PM

Emily Lloyd has had a host of mental health issues.

by Anonymousreply 308January 27, 2017 4:19 PM

And how is constantly gorging herself on carbohydrates supposed to resolve them, R308? If anything, it's just exacerbating them.

by Anonymousreply 309January 27, 2017 4:26 PM

Melba Moore. Great voice, had an acting career going, then disappeared. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 310January 27, 2017 4:45 PM

R310: She had a sitcom that premiered the night of the Challenger Explosion and was pulled after its first broadcast. After that it was all downhill.

by Anonymousreply 311January 27, 2017 4:48 PM

A lot of the people mentioned here had mental health issues. I don't know that they would have been able to sustain long term careers given the pressures involved. Though I think it does help to be a little bit crazy in order to survive the biz.

by Anonymousreply 312January 27, 2017 6:56 PM

"LOTS of actors have fucked underage girls. If you don't believe that, then you're living in a dreamworld. You don't know much about Hollywood, do you?"

Any evidence to prove the % of actors who have fucked underage girls is higher than in any other profession? Yeah, that's what I thought. You don't know much about anything, do you?

Btw, He didn't "fuck" those girls. He molested them and exposed himself to them. And they weren't barely underage teens, they were small children.

by Anonymousreply 313January 27, 2017 6:57 PM

r13 the amount of underage fucking in Hollywood is obscene. Female and male. I'm not saying it's all non-consensual, but it happens. People fuck for roles.

by Anonymousreply 314January 27, 2017 7:04 PM

r314, there is "underage fucking" everywhere

And again, there was no "fucking" in the Stephen Collins case. He touched small girls. There was no intercourse.

by Anonymousreply 315January 27, 2017 7:11 PM

Doug Hutchison destroyed his acting career only to become a pimp for this whore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316January 27, 2017 7:23 PM

r15 my comment wasn't about Stephen Collins: what he did was wrong, and i'm not sure why thought it was a commentary on him. It was just a general observation on Hollywood in general. Pull your panties out of your ass...

by Anonymousreply 317January 27, 2017 7:39 PM

r317, why don't you do the same?

by Anonymousreply 318January 27, 2017 7:44 PM

r318 because i don't wear them. jesus, go find another more worthy cause to argue about.

by Anonymousreply 319January 27, 2017 7:46 PM

Mia Farrow had a brilliant career resurgence when she was involved with Woody Allen with some wonderful films like "Hannah and Her Sisters", "Purple Rose of Cairo", "Radio Days" and her brilliant, hilarious turn in "Broadway Danny Rose, among others. Of course, it ended badly, but when they were together she inspired him to write great parts for her.

by Anonymousreply 320January 27, 2017 7:47 PM

John Candy

by Anonymousreply 321January 27, 2017 7:48 PM

Mark Salling from Glee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322January 27, 2017 7:56 PM

Lauren Tewes from Love Boat. she could have made it off the boat and into something else if not for her massive coke habit.

by Anonymousreply 323January 27, 2017 8:00 PM

R181 hopefully insufferable Andrew Garfield's nom is only a bright spot before his careers demise. Can't believe people thought he was snubbed for an at best adequate performance in the Social Network, they only say that because people have Director Fincher's dick deep down their throats and believe he can do nothing wrong. I also hope Aaron Taylor Thomas is close after he showed he is a poor leading man in Godzilla for which he deseved a razzie nom. Don't know what it is about hollywood that it thinks they owe something to certain people.

by Anonymousreply 324January 27, 2017 8:38 PM

sure some actors stumble into lucky roles and then go back to being what their little talent allows them to be but there are as well mediocre actors who have gone on to have careers they didn't deserve, Bruce Willis springs to mind. Pretty boy Alex Pettyfer could have had a bigger career but became too difficult and entitled early in his career.

by Anonymousreply 325January 27, 2017 8:42 PM

Everyone from [italic]Glee[/italic] flushed their acting career down the toilet by being on [italic]Glee[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 326January 27, 2017 8:46 PM

[quote]Meryl Streep. After that awful Mamma Mia, it's been downhill ever since.

Don't forget her speech at the Golden Globes.

by Anonymousreply 327January 27, 2017 8:52 PM

You're obviously a hater, r324..

by Anonymousreply 328January 27, 2017 8:54 PM

John Mayer....Tattooing himself, and totally going Hollywood, and dating every Hollywood starlet. And, forgetting his musical roots as a serious artist.

by Anonymousreply 329January 27, 2017 8:57 PM

Didn't Irene Cara also star in the Ghiana Tragedy?

by Anonymousreply 330January 27, 2017 9:16 PM

R328 Oh I don't worship celebs yeah I'm a hater

by Anonymousreply 331January 27, 2017 9:23 PM

R268 pleaseee! As if she was going to have a bug career and lost the chance for calling out industries for casting Matt Damon in a Chinese movie or calling out creep Casey Affleck. At least Freah off the boat is a good sitcom and better than everything Affleck has ever done.

by Anonymousreply 332January 27, 2017 9:26 PM

getting back on track...

Gretchen Mol. not sure what her story was, but she has seemed to pick herself up in the short lived Hugh Laurie tv serial "Chance."

NOT her agent or publicist. just thought it was a good series and remembered her from awhile back.

by Anonymousreply 333January 27, 2017 9:35 PM

Jill Clayburgh in Luna.

What the hell was she thinking?

by Anonymousreply 334January 27, 2017 9:35 PM

I feel bad for truly talented actors like Emily Lloyd and Lisa Nicole Carson whose careers AND personal lives flame out because of severe mental illness.

Not that it excuses his criminal behavior or spousal abuse, but the old black gossip blogs have discussed Columbus Short's mental problems for years, speculating whether (or how long before) they would crater his career.

Not personality disorders like BPD, narcissistic personality disorder, or sociopathy, which are rampant in the entertainment industry; but organic, soul-destroying mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, bipolar, intractable unipolar depression, TBI (which is why I can't completely hate on Gary Busey), can be incompatible with sustained achievement.

Nobody accuses John Cazale of "destroying" his career because he got terminal cancer, right?

by Anonymousreply 335January 27, 2017 10:25 PM

Heather Graham

by Anonymousreply 336January 27, 2017 10:37 PM

[quote][R240] I disagree about Courtney Cox. She's had a very good career for someone of limited talent. She's grabbed every opportunity and made the most of it. 2 highly successful series, 1 moderately successful series and a big film franchise isn't bad.

[italic]Ace Ventura: Pet Detective[/italic] is a franchise? She was only in the first one, and anyone could have played that part. She's just so uninteresting.

by Anonymousreply 337January 27, 2017 10:50 PM

SCREAM

by Anonymousreply 338January 27, 2017 11:33 PM

Oh that. I only saw those in the hopes that she'd be one of the ones they killed off. I tolerated her in AV:PD just to see Jim Carrey's ass. But no more.

by Anonymousreply 339January 27, 2017 11:35 PM

[quote]Nobody accuses John Cazale of "destroying" his career because he got terminal cancer, right?

He didn't get sick because of self-destructive behavior.

by Anonymousreply 340January 27, 2017 11:36 PM

Joe Pesci

by Anonymousreply 341January 27, 2017 11:39 PM

David Caruso

by Anonymousreply 342January 27, 2017 11:39 PM

"If Stephen Collins' wife was the bitch from hell, then why did he marry her?"

Oh, I'm sure they probably got along with they first married. But when they divorced....well, a lot of things could have happened. Maybe he wanted to end the marriage and she didn't. Maybe he didn't want to give the huge amounts of money she wanted in a settlement. Obviously there was some severe acrimony there. So she decided to take revenge by releasing a tape of him talking to some kind of therapist, which is really a very evil thing to do. She wanted to get back at him and that's why she did it. Sure sounds like a bitch from hell to me.

by Anonymousreply 343January 27, 2017 11:45 PM

"John Candy."

How did he flush his film career down the toilet? By dying?

by Anonymousreply 344January 27, 2017 11:46 PM

"So she decided to take revenge by releasing a tape of him talking to some kind of therapist, which is really a very evil thing to do."

She wasn't the one who released the tape, btw. And he is the evil one, not her. DL is quick to label guys as "evil" if they molest young boys but guys who molest girls get a free pass.

by Anonymousreply 345January 27, 2017 11:54 PM

R344, By overeating. When he died on location in Mexico, one of the tabloids published a photo of the inside of his motel room. Dozens of boxes of junk food were stacked against the wall, it looked like a Hostess warehouse.

by Anonymousreply 346January 28, 2017 12:00 AM

John Candy never should have done [italic]Wagons East[/italic], not least of which because the script wasn't very good, but because the physical strain of climbing all those hills while eating all that crap was just too much for him. He only made it to 43, a year longer than Divine, whom he impersonated on [italic]SCTV[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 347January 28, 2017 12:03 AM

I didn't know that about John Candy. That's just sad he had that level of sugar obsession. Such a great talent.

by Anonymousreply 348January 28, 2017 12:22 AM

Cathy Moriarty

by Anonymousreply 349January 28, 2017 12:29 AM

[quote]Cathy Moriarty

I guess Hollywood wasn't big enough for her and Christine Baranski.

by Anonymousreply 350January 28, 2017 12:30 AM

Rae Dawn Chong is another actress who seemingly vanished after being in features like "Commando," "Soul Man," and "The Color Purple." Maybe bad luck in choosing quality movies was the cause, but she definitely flushed her career out to sea after calling The Oprah a brown-noser and a field nigger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351January 28, 2017 12:41 AM

Alicia Silverstone.

by Anonymousreply 352January 28, 2017 12:42 AM

I assume they meant Scream not Ace Ventura.

by Anonymousreply 353January 28, 2017 12:52 AM

R340 You don't "catch" mental illness from self destructive behavior.

by Anonymousreply 354January 28, 2017 1:26 AM

Anybody remember Roz Kelly? She got the plum role of Carol "Pinky" Tuscadero on "Happy Days", a tough chick who rode motorcycles and always wore tight white short shorts and a midriff baring top. She was slated to be Fonzie's long-term girlfriend, after her initial appearances and commercials for the next season even began promoting Kelly's new character. She seemed like a fitting companion for the Fonz, a sexy redhead with a throaty voice. When discord occurred among Kelly, the cast and producers, her character was dropped; she was only mentioned briefly in two later episodes. An incredible opportunity, poof, gone like that. She did some other tv appearances but her career faded pretty quickly. She obviously had some problems. On November 29, 1998, she was arrested for firing a 12-gauge shotgun into the living room window of a neighbor's house after a car alarm woke her up;[5] she also shot the neighbor's car and another car nearby. On October 27, 2000, she was sentenced to 120 days in jail after pleading "no contest" to charges stemming from an August 20, 2000, arrest for hitting a man with her cane. She'd be 73 now. I've seen a picture that is purported to be her; if it's really her than she is totally unrecognizable, and not from bad plastic surgery. The picture shows a sagging, overweight woman with long disheveled dark hair and glasses; in no way does she resemble the woman that was once the Fonz's girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 355January 28, 2017 1:37 AM

Roz Kelley died in a nursing home at age 73.

by Anonymousreply 356January 28, 2017 3:07 AM

Roz Kelly was great in Sweet Charity.

by Anonymousreply 357January 28, 2017 3:21 AM

Roz Kelly's Wikipedia page does not say she died in a nursing home at age 73. I assume she's still alive, but presumably not in good shape.

by Anonymousreply 358January 28, 2017 3:29 AM

[quote] On the other hand, Mickey Rourke is a perfect example of someone the thread is supposed to be about

He suffered tough times, but he was nominated for an Oscar not too long ago and got some good roles after that. He works steadily.

by Anonymousreply 359January 28, 2017 3:40 AM

R358, her Wiki is not up to date. She died ina nursing home at 73. Look around for info other than her Wiki and you will find it there.

by Anonymousreply 360January 28, 2017 3:52 AM

Christopher Jones

Mark Frechette

by Anonymousreply 361January 28, 2017 3:57 AM

Wilfred Brimley, when he came out of the closet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362January 28, 2017 6:20 AM

R335, what's TBI?

by Anonymousreply 363January 28, 2017 8:36 AM

^What is TBI? Traumatic Brain Injury

by Anonymousreply 364January 28, 2017 8:41 AM

Thank you r364. I didn't know. This is from Busey's auto accident?

by Anonymousreply 365January 28, 2017 8:55 AM

Michael Moriarty who played ADA Ben Stone in the first few seasons of Law and Order. A really talented actor with a serious drinking problem, who then moved to Canada and became a crazy right-wing, hardcore anti-abortionist.

by Anonymousreply 366January 28, 2017 10:50 AM

SNL alumna Victoria Jackson, who managed to star in features like "Baby Boom," "The Pick-up Artist," and "I Love You to Death," could've chosen to broaden her craft and intellect, which might've turned her into an appreciated character actress today. But no, she chose to regress into a batty conservative loon, whose deranged commentaries make you wonder why she still hasn't been committed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367January 28, 2017 2:27 PM

r362 Stupid and malicious

by Anonymousreply 368January 28, 2017 2:47 PM

[quote] could've chosen to broaden her craft

R367 = Phylicia Rashad

by Anonymousreply 369January 28, 2017 3:28 PM

Thomas Gibson. CM gave him so many warnings and second chances. The scuffle with the writer/producer that finally got him fired was just the straw that broke the camel's back.. He will probably get other jobs but screw those up to. Something's wrong with him.

by Anonymousreply 370January 28, 2017 6:19 PM

Brendan Fraser. Although I don't exactly know what caused his downward spiral.

by Anonymousreply 371January 28, 2017 6:22 PM

R371....when Brendan spazzed out at the Golden Globe awards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372January 28, 2017 6:34 PM

Actually, I blame Brendan Fraser's former wife for ruining his life, demanding 900k in alimony. And, Brendan suffered a bad back injury from a freak ccident.

by Anonymousreply 373January 28, 2017 6:44 PM

OTOH we had huge stars Greta Garbo, Norma Shearer and Alice Faye who all terminated their long-term studio contracts during WWII and happily retired from film stardom. They were all smart enough to realize their time in the sun was coming to an end and quit (almost) at the height of their careers.

Alice Faye raised her children and was heard on the radio on her husband Phil Harris' show. She finally made a film comeback in the early 1960s in the mother role in State Fair, as well as appearances on TV variety hours but apparently never felt any regret leaving 20th "Penitentiary" Fox to successor Betty Grable.

Shearer and Garbo never acted again in any medium.

Personally, I think that was the wise way to go.

by Anonymousreply 374January 28, 2017 7:21 PM

What about that black actor on Grey's Anatomy who was fired for calling T. R. Knight the "f" word? Has he worked since?

by Anonymousreply 375January 28, 2017 7:29 PM

R375, Isaiah Washington. He's currently on "The 100" on the CW.

Which reminds me... Katherine Heigl. Has she already been mentioned?

by Anonymousreply 376January 28, 2017 7:34 PM

Good, I am not a fan of that "f" word, of course, but I must admit that whole thing with Knight felt a bit fabricated. With Heigl's assist. And T.R. is gone iwth the wind, by felicia for real. He annoyed the shit out of me anyway.

by Anonymousreply 377January 28, 2017 7:38 PM

Heigl just gave birth, after having adopted two other children.

by Anonymousreply 378January 28, 2017 7:42 PM

R372 is one of those misogynist dlers who blame women for everything. Apparently, Brendan Fraser's wife is responsible for the fact that his movies flopped.

by Anonymousreply 379January 28, 2017 8:45 PM

"Brendan Fraser. Although I don't exactly know what caused his downward spiral."

I think the major reason was that he kept making truly dreadful commercial movies, incredibly stupid comedies. He kept making one shitty movie after another. His divorce probably didn't help his financial situation, but I don't think that was the reason his career tanked. Plus, he lost his looks. That doesn't help an actor's career, either.

by Anonymousreply 380January 28, 2017 11:40 PM

Brendan Fraser lost his looks......catastrophically.

This was no small thing and nobody could've survived that transition that quickly successfully.

by Anonymousreply 381January 28, 2017 11:51 PM

"She died ina nursing home at 73. Look around for info other than her Wiki and you will find it there.'

Not meaning to hijack this thread and make it about Roz Kelly, but I have found nothing, no obituary or news item anywhere, that confirms that she's dead. IMDB doesn't report her as being dead, either.

by Anonymousreply 382January 29, 2017 2:25 AM

I don't think kids liked her character. I seem to remember all of us calling her Stinky Tuscadero

by Anonymousreply 383January 29, 2017 2:28 AM

Randy Quaid owns this thread

by Anonymousreply 384January 29, 2017 2:40 AM

Gee R382, this was hard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385January 29, 2017 3:18 AM

"Gee [R382], this was hard."

"The Wow Report?" Never heard of it. And it doesn't state with certainty that Kelly is dead. It just says:

My source here is kind of sketchy, but I’m inclined to believe her. Sandie Crisp, better known to as The Goddess Bunny (of Obey the Walrus fame), has been living in a skilled nursing home in Inglewood, California – the SAME nursing home that Roz Kelly of Happy Days fame reportedly lives in. Sandy took to Facebook today to announce that Roz had passed away, at age 73. No other media outlets are reporting this yet. Not Wikipedia, not IMDB, nobody on Twitter, and no blogs. But Sandie writes:

Roz Kelly past (sic) away today at the age of 73 better known as Pinky Tuskadarow on Happy Days as Fonzie ‘s girlfriend. She was also in Lords of FlatBush , and many more television shows

I’m just passing along her post. If Roz is, indeed, alive and well, I’m terribly sorry.

TMZ, will you do a little sleuthing here and get to the bottom of this?

by Anonymousreply 386January 29, 2017 3:29 AM

I think Lil Kim and Biggie Small should have created a rap opera together, they were magical.

by Anonymousreply 387January 29, 2017 3:48 AM

R386, there are other articles online that verify that report.

by Anonymousreply 388January 29, 2017 3:57 AM

R374 Here's an interesting story of how Greta Garbo came thisclose to coming out of retirement and making another movie. In 1945 the one and only Tallulah Bankhead had been signed to star in a film called "A Royal Scandal" as Catherine The Great. Garbo somehow got ahold of the script, loved it, contacted the producers and told them that she really wanted to do the film. Ernst Lubitsch, the director who put the film together and had hired Tallulah, was pressured by the Studio heads to get rid of her and put Garbo in the movie. Lubitsch was loyal to a fault and stated that not even for Garbo would he fire Tallulah - the film was hers. The Studio finally accepted his decision and Tallulah made the movie. Garbo stayed in retirement.

by Anonymousreply 389January 29, 2017 4:23 AM

Jake T Austin. Two DUIs before he could legally drink. Got fired from The Fosters

by Anonymousreply 390January 29, 2017 4:32 AM

Garbo should've done "The Love Boat," like me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391January 29, 2017 4:37 AM

I can't believe no one's mentioned Angus T. Jones.

by Anonymousreply 392January 29, 2017 4:38 AM

I just saw a commercial for Katie Heigl's new legal drama "Doubt." Good for her for still having a career after her prima donna missteps.

by Anonymousreply 393January 29, 2017 4:48 AM

"R386, here are other articles online that verify that report."

Where are there? Are they of the same caliber as "The Wow Report?" It's just an unsubstantiated rumor, and that's all.

by Anonymousreply 394January 29, 2017 4:51 AM

"She wasn't the one who released the tape, btw. "

She was the one who brought the whole thing out into the open. Which makes a Bitch From Hell.

by Anonymousreply 395January 29, 2017 4:52 AM

I never knew Luise Rainer did The Love Boat. The things you learn on DL!

by Anonymousreply 396January 29, 2017 4:54 AM

"There is "underage fucking" everywhere."

In the entertainment industry it's commonplace. You don't know much about the entertainment industry, do you?

by Anonymousreply 397January 29, 2017 4:59 AM

John Candy didn't "flush his acting career down the toilet" by overeating. He killed himself by doing it, but his career was unaffected by it. In fact, his whole career was based on being a funny fat guy. His overeating hurt his health, not his career.

by Anonymousreply 398January 29, 2017 5:02 AM

Sorry, wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 399January 29, 2017 5:02 AM

Dead or Alive says Pinky is alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400January 29, 2017 5:30 AM

Does anyone know how we can convince R398 that when you die, your career dies with you? When you've chosen a lifestyle that places your existence in jeopardy, you're basically flushing your life and thereby your career down the toilet. Candy's overeating was just as destructive for him as a drug or alcohol problem. He flushed his life AND CAREER down the toilet just like Philip Seymour Hoffman did.

by Anonymousreply 401January 29, 2017 7:47 AM

If you've ever seen A Royal Scandal you know Garbo's pristine reputation was saved by not getting involved. It is a campy embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 402January 29, 2017 1:37 PM

r374, Garbo actually expressed interest in appearing in various films after her retirement but, of course, nothing ever came of it. I read that was offered the Norma Desmond role in Sunset Boulevard. She even did screen tests in 1949 for 'The Duchess Of Langelais' which never materialized.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403January 29, 2017 2:08 PM

"In the entertainment industry it's commonplace. You don't know much about the entertainment industry, do you?"

You don't know much about the entertainment industry do you? Again, please offer some proof that this is more common in the industry than outside of it. I'm waiting for your evidence and statistics.

by Anonymousreply 404January 29, 2017 3:12 PM

Wow, r392, Angus T. Jones has changed completely ever since being on "Two and a Half Men." He's still young, so maybe he can make a successful comeback.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405January 29, 2017 3:32 PM

The Wiz did not singlehandedly sabotage Diana's movie career. She was actually offered the Bodyguard with Ryan O Neal months after The Wiz opened. Everything was set to go, but she backed out last minute for a number of reasons. One being that there was a nude scene she didn't like. Another was that the title emphasized Ryan's character over hers. She was also set to do the Main Event, but Sue Mengers went and offered Barbra Streisand to the producers.. And that was that

In the early eighties, she was supposed to do the Josephine Baker story with Richard Attenborough as director. But it fell through, allegedly because she wanted complete control over everything.

Diana spoke on Oprah a few years back saying that she didn't really want a movie career, and that might have factored into why she made the decisions she did. It seemed to be all or nothing with her.

by Anonymousreply 406January 29, 2017 3:53 PM

"He flushed his life AND CAREER down the toilet just like Philip Seymour Hoffman did."

The careers of John Candy and Philip Seymour Hoffman were fine when they died. They weren't "flushed down the toilet." Their careers ENDED because they died, in Hoffman's case due to drug addiction and in Candy's due to poor health habits. But neither of them had "flushed their careers down the toilet." You seem to want to blame them for ruining their careers, but their careers were NOT ruined. Their choices ended their lives but did not destroy their careers before their premature deaths. Got that?

by Anonymousreply 407January 29, 2017 4:05 PM

"You don't know much about the entertainment industry do you? Again, please offer some proof that this is more common in the industry than outside of it. I'm waiting for your evidence and statistics."

I don't have to offer any proof. Anyone who has knowledge of the entertainment industry knows that underage fucking happens all the time. You don't have any knowledge of the entertainment industry, do you?

by Anonymousreply 408January 29, 2017 4:18 PM

r408, so you admit you don't have proof? Btw, their have been studies about people arrested for sex crimes against children, and the professions they belong to. Shocker! - most people involved in child sex offenses are in professions that put them around kids constantly, like teaching. Clergymen also ranked pretty high on the list. There were not any showbiz-related professions on the list.

by Anonymousreply 409January 29, 2017 4:25 PM

[Quote]Diana spoke on Oprah a few years back saying that she didn't really want a movie career, and that might have factored into why she made the decisions she did.

Ha ha, I call bullshit on that. Miss-Ross-To-You became egotistical and self-deluded regarding the power of her celebrity status. She had offers that NO other Black actresses were getting, but she let her diva attitude prevail, which blew her chances clear away. Eventually, she did two TV movies, but by then, her appeal had lost too much power for her to rebound for theatrical films. She was just trying to save face with that statement to The Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 410January 29, 2017 4:40 PM

"So you admit you don't have proof?"

No, I admit I don't need to supply any proof. I repeat: anyone who has knowledge of the entertainment industry knows that underage fucking is a commonplace occurrence and it's basically ignored. And if "show-biz related professions" were not on the list it's because in entertainment circles that sort of thing is seldom reported simply because it's not considered that big of a deal. Rarely is someone in show business, especially someone of high rank, held accountable for fucking/molesting a kid, although sometimes it does get out (Woody Allen and Roman Polanski are two glaring examples). You just don't get it, do you? You just don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 411January 29, 2017 4:43 PM

Define "commonplace"

by Anonymousreply 412January 29, 2017 5:05 PM

"Rarely is someone in show business, especially someone of high rank, held accountable for fucking/molesting a kid, although sometimes it does get out (Woody Allen and Roman Polanski are two glaring examples)."

Being in showbiz doesn't mean you are rich or powerful - why would low-ranking people be protected? Despite your lurid right-wing fantasies about evil librul Hollywood, the vast majority of kids who are molested are molested by a family member.

by Anonymousreply 413January 29, 2017 5:12 PM

Define "commonplace."

"Commonplace": a usual or ordinary thing. Couldn't you look that up for yourself? I'm not your teacher!

by Anonymousreply 414January 29, 2017 5:12 PM

Shirley Temple as a twelve year old saw Arthur Fred's cock and laughed at it??? AND she told that story years later???? I don't believe it. Wasn't she very conservative? I can't see her telling a story like that.

by Anonymousreply 415January 29, 2017 5:14 PM

Now that r414 is getting testy in a juvenile way she's best ignored.Q

by Anonymousreply 416January 29, 2017 5:22 PM

Omg, Angus T. jones looks awful!

by Anonymousreply 417January 29, 2017 5:32 PM

R407, Your ignorance is mind boggling. You won't find any IMDB postings after their premature and self-inflicted deaths. They pissed their careers goodbye when they departed the planet due to their destructive and reckless behavior. Got that?

by Anonymousreply 418January 29, 2017 5:41 PM

In Phoneywood the toilet flushes both ways.

by Anonymousreply 419January 29, 2017 5:46 PM

Angus T. Jones will never have to work again if he doesn't want to.

by Anonymousreply 420January 29, 2017 6:03 PM

I wonder if Angus T Jones is still dating stalker Sarah.....😕

by Anonymousreply 421January 29, 2017 6:12 PM

Angus T. Jones was a not very cute kid who turned into an even more unappealing adult at least in looks in charm. He is very involved now as a born again/fundamentalist Christian. I do not think it is the worst thing his rejection of Hollywood but I doubt his career had much promise as an adult actor.

by Anonymousreply 422January 29, 2017 7:33 PM

[quote]I do not think it is the worst thing his rejection of Hollywood but I doubt his career had much promise as an adult actor.

Who does? You can almost count on one hand the ones who made the transition into successful careers in adulthood.

by Anonymousreply 423January 29, 2017 9:02 PM

Like those Golden Age actresses who knew when they'd had enough and had no compunction walking away from Hollywood, I admire young actors like Michael Schoeffling and Matt Keeslar who evidently became disenchanted with the business and had the courage to get out while they were still young and found something that truly inspired them.

I realize those 2 examples weren't big stars yet fame and money aren't everything.

by Anonymousreply 424January 29, 2017 9:09 PM

Vaginos, you're BOTH boring the pants right back onto us.

by Anonymousreply 425January 29, 2017 9:15 PM

[R370] Is that you Craig Dorfman, you faggoty, HIV riddled low life bottom dweller? Worst and least liked "agent" in the biz.

by Anonymousreply 426January 30, 2017 12:08 AM

"Your ignorance is mind boggling. You won't find any IMDB postings after their premature and self-inflicted deaths. They pissed their careers goodbye when they departed the planet due to their destructive and reckless behavior. Got that?"

So what you're saying it they they flushed their careers down the toilet by DYING? They flushed their LIVES down the toilet but at the time of their deaths (Candy's and Hoffman's at any rate) their careers were intact. If a person is alive, and due to bad behavior have made themselves unemployable, that constitutes throwing a career away. But to die unexpectedly and prematurely due to excess is just dying, you fool. EVERYBODY'S career ENDS when they DIE, you cluck.

by Anonymousreply 427January 30, 2017 12:33 AM

R416 thinks children are only molested by family members. My, how ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 428January 30, 2017 12:38 AM

"Being in showbiz doesn't mean you are rich or powerful - why would low-ranking people be protected?"

It's not a matter of being "protected", you dumbass. It's a matter of nobody giving a damn. As for "lurid right-wing fantasies about evil librul (?) Hollywood"....well, you obviously don't know a damn thing about Hollywood. Not a damn thing.

by Anonymousreply 429January 30, 2017 12:42 AM

"thinks children are only molested by family members"

You obviously can't read. I said MOST kids who are molested are molested by a family member. Not all.

by Anonymousreply 430January 30, 2017 2:58 AM

Both Schoeffling and Keeslar did very well in the business and also got to taste what fame felt like. Sucks that it ends but they both handled it wisely. The old "better to be a has-been than a never was" still holds true.

(They also both got to experience what it was like to be smoking hot in their youths. I wish we could have gotten a nude scene out of Michael S. before he retired but Keeslar gave us some, at least).

by Anonymousreply 431January 30, 2017 3:36 AM

Ronald Reagan and Nancy Davis

by Anonymousreply 432January 30, 2017 4:33 AM

r424, Thank you for that. Matt Keeslar was someone who I kept expecting to 'break through'. Apparently not. I had no idea he had turned his back on performing and become a nurse. But that's sort of the problem: a performer who's excited you, made you tingle, just falls off the radar.......and it's not like there's a dog-party out looking for that performer when they disappear. I like it much better when I learn that some Hollywood type achieves success outside of that company town, and has a real life. There's been a different thread about Freddie Prinze Jr achieving success as a chef: that's a step up, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 433January 30, 2017 5:44 AM

There are a couple of casting directors I'd like to flush down the toilet!

Most are fantastic, but a couple of real Jeckyll and Hyde characters acting as if they're keeping all of television alive!

They'll never go voluntarily.

by Anonymousreply 434January 30, 2017 6:10 AM

Here are some ideas...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435January 30, 2017 6:12 AM

Irene Cara was the last of the old school singers of the 80s. Like ON-J, Diana Ross, Laura Branigan, Dionne, the Pointer Sisters she couldn't compete with the new singers like Madonna and Whitney that came to dominate the mid to later 80s and then on.

It had nothing to do with her, it's more a reflection of just the way the music biz operated, you came in for about two to five years and then left. Someone like Ross or Newton-John that managed to cover a decade or more was very rare back then.

by Anonymousreply 436January 30, 2017 6:48 AM

R357, that was Paula Kelly (not Roz Kelly) in "Sweet Charity" (1969).

by Anonymousreply 437February 3, 2017 1:10 AM

And now they want an Oscar for Casting, R434. As if.

by Anonymousreply 438February 3, 2017 1:30 AM

[quote]she couldn't compete with the new singers like Madonna and Whitney that came to dominate the mid to later 80s and then o

You forgot one, bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439February 3, 2017 2:03 AM

Robert Blake. He got recognition for his portrayal of Perry Smith in "In Cold Blood" but his career was nothing much until he got the lead in the tv series "Baretta." It was a success and he won an Emmy and for a while had a career in television. But he keep clashing with tv executives, was considered a troublemaker and eventually the roles dried up. He became involved with a crazy woman who was obsessed with latching onto celebrities; she got pregnant and he married her. She ended up shot to death. He was arrested for her murder but was acquitted. He was found guilty of her death in civil court, and was told to pay millions in restitution. He's 84 years old now. Blake is a good example of how to ruin your life, but it's easy to understand why; he had a horrible, miserable childhood that no doubt scarred and traumatized him for life, hence his poor choices and self destructiveness. It's a shame; he did have acting talent.

by Anonymousreply 440February 3, 2017 2:39 AM

Nancy Allen

The entire Arquette family....What happened?

by Anonymousreply 441February 3, 2017 4:28 AM

Ray Liotta. Gorgeous and great in Something Wild and Goodfellas. Then Dumbo Drop and oblivion.

by Anonymousreply 442February 3, 2017 6:57 AM

Brendan Fraser is the poster child for poorly aging. He's on The Affair this season looking like deep fried shit. He was good in the role, but roles for people who Look like he does are very limited.

by Anonymousreply 443February 3, 2017 8:15 AM

[quote]it's not like there's a dog-party out looking for that performer when they disappear.

A "dog-party," r433?

by Anonymousreply 444February 3, 2017 6:19 PM

That's a playdate with Giudice spawn, R444.

by Anonymousreply 445February 3, 2017 6:39 PM

O.J. Simpson

by Anonymousreply 446February 3, 2017 6:51 PM

r367 I'm pretty sure Drumpf had her on the short list for VP.

by Anonymousreply 447February 3, 2017 7:22 PM

R405 That guy is so fug, I don't think he'll be hired for anything else.

by Anonymousreply 448February 4, 2017 11:14 AM

What about me, R441????

by Anonymousreply 449February 4, 2017 11:39 AM

M. T for DC Cab

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450March 5, 2017 10:26 AM

[quote]He was supposed to launch his film career with Grease 2, playing ONJ's cousin but failed his screen test and was dropped from RSO.

Wasn't it Xanadu?

by Anonymousreply 451March 5, 2017 11:39 AM

Danny Masterston

by Anonymousreply 452March 5, 2017 2:51 PM

Nicholas Brendon

by Anonymousreply 453March 6, 2017 12:04 AM

corey fieldman

by Anonymousreply 454March 13, 2017 2:26 AM

RAy Liotta still has a career playing bad cops.

by Anonymousreply 455March 13, 2017 2:30 AM

Sharon Tate

by Anonymousreply 456March 13, 2017 2:36 AM

Alex Pettyfer. Was working up into the next big thing then pissed off everyone who had to work with him, and disappeared pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 457March 13, 2017 3:21 AM

Michael Richards aka Kramer from that Jerry Seinfeld show...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458March 13, 2017 3:23 AM

" I guess I should have done the water scene and not refused. PARAMOUNT executives had me black-balled. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459March 13, 2017 3:58 AM

James Franco. A singular case he ruined his career by just being too hipster for Hollywood and opting to do a stint on General Hospital, just doing anything he could to be annoying and douchey.

by Anonymousreply 460March 13, 2017 4:18 AM

Shia LaBeouf

by Anonymousreply 461March 13, 2017 4:53 AM

What a depressing story about Thora Birch. I loved her in Ghost World and was hoping to see more of her. I guess it's too late for a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 462March 13, 2017 5:25 AM

Thanks for the video, R435. It was all the usual suspects, but still fun to see them rolled out all in one place.

by Anonymousreply 463September 11, 2017 10:30 PM

Kirk Cameron. He was a good looking guy and could have had at least a couple more TV series, and maybe even a small movie career. But he became a Jesus freak and had to be a totally dick about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464September 11, 2017 10:38 PM

Well, Jonathan Rhys Meyers is still pressing down on that toilet handle. He's persistent, give him that.

by Anonymousreply 465September 11, 2017 10:42 PM

Mae Murray, silent film actress. Former Ziegfeld girl, she danced professionally with Valentino and starred opposite John Gilbert in "The Merry Widow." Walking out on an MGM contract to marry a phony-baloney "Prince" caused LB Meyer to blacklist her, despite her decent showing in early talkies. Bankruptcy followed as well as homelessness. Sympathetic friends such as Loretta Young and George Hamilton helped her financially. She died in the Motion Picture Home in 1965.

by Anonymousreply 466January 2, 2019 6:38 PM

William "Billy" Haines, a popular actor of the 1920s, because he refused to conceal the fact that he was a homosexualist. But he became a fabulously successful designer and furniture maker.

by Anonymousreply 467January 2, 2019 6:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!