Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why isn't Julie Andrews' lesbianism more widely known?

Everyone are shocked when I tell them that Mary Poppins is a muff diver in real life. But are people really that blind? She pings to high heaven with that Luke Skywalker hairdo she's been rocking since the late 50's and her asexual onscreen persona.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 22, 2018 7:57 AM

Well she played all those sweet, wholesome sunshine roles.

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2017 7:33 PM

She reputedly had a very long lesbian affair with Carol Burnett.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2017 7:34 PM

She doesn't broadcast it. She's circumspect. Hardly even discussed her husband, Blake Edwards. Very private person. Very English in that regard. I saw her interview a couple of years ago and the name Carol Burnett came up.

All Julie said was along the lines of "We're great friends" ...and merrily and very quickly changed the subject. Wasn't going to dwell on Carol one second longer.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2017 7:38 PM

No way! She hooked up with that Australian boat Captain- Von Trapp and the dirty English roof dancer when she was working in London for that foreign family.

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2017 7:42 PM

[quote]Everyone are shocked

Is they?

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2017 7:45 PM

Short hair makes her lesbian? Typical DL logic. Short hair makes one lesbian; handsome face makes one gay.

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2017 7:45 PM

Everyone loves Julie Andrews & I doubt there are any smart journos out there who'd want to be the one to make that accusation, even if it were true.

There are plenty of real scumbags to pick on.

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2017 7:48 PM

I recently watched a PBS New Year's EVe show from Vienna and Miss Andrews was hosting.

My 80-year-old mother turned to me and said: "Why is Mary Poppins dressed like a man?"

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2017 7:48 PM

People aren't really interested in whether a woman is gay - men, a different matter.

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2017 7:49 PM

R8 I've heard that Julie secretly escapes from Vienna New Year's Concert during the intermission every year. Force of habit, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2017 7:53 PM

Julie Andrews and Carol Burnett go back a long way, and had a big hit all the way back in 1962 with 'Julie and Carol at Carnegie Hall', and they did any number of specials after that. Supposedly, Julie got Carol to agreeing to prank Mike Nichols by kissing when the elevator doors opened.....only it was Lady Bird Johnson who walked in. Julie was married twice, had a child with her first husband, adopted two kids with her second husband and is step-mother to Blake Edwards' two daughters, while Carol Burnett's been married three times and had three children. Doesn't prove anything, one way or the other. But both of them have told that elevator story on several occasions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2017 7:54 PM

23 year-old Blake Edwards pings mightily in the low-budget horror flick STRANGLER OF THE SWAMP (46). His biggest role in a movie before he quit acting.

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2017 8:06 PM

She's one of those celeb homosexuals whose secret will remain well hidden as long as she's alive. But once she dies it won't take an hour before the headlines will blare "THE LATE JULIE ANDREWS SECRET LIFE AS A LESBIAN",

by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2017 8:14 PM

Being a lesbo is perfectly fine for many straight men. They love lesbians because they're doing to each other what straight men like to do with women. They understand the lesbo motivation. But many straight men hate homos because they can't fathom doing that to another man. In other words, most straight men are as dumb as rocks.

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2017 8:17 PM

Them telling that elevator story willingly sounds more like a good cover than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2017 8:19 PM

If this is true, then she's one hell of an actress!

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2017 8:26 PM

Well, it's news to us too!

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2017 8:26 PM

Peggy Wood didn't call her a cunt face for nothing!

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2017 8:31 PM

Good cover, yeah R15!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2017 8:32 PM

R17 Hey there girls, maybe we could hang out sometimes!

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2017 8:34 PM

"I heard that my Darling Lili taskmasters, Blake Edwards and Julie Andrews, were implying to the press that I'm gay. I could hardly believe it! Talk about the kettle calling the pot black!"

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2017 8:37 PM

Blake Edwards was always rumored to be gay or bi, and even admitted to experimenting with guys when he was young. He included sympathetic gay (male) characters in Victor/Victoria, S.O.B. and 10, which all featured his wife, so it's not like they were dodging the issue. And Julie and Carol never hid their friendship: they made plenty of appearances together, even (shudder) rapping together at one point. And S.O.B. was full of actors playing real life characters, like Robert Vaughn as Robert Evans and Shelley Winters as Sue Mengers, and was a scathing indictment of the Hollywood studio system. It really took some balls to put that one out, and it pissed a lot of people off, and Julie showed her tits for the first time on screen, throwing her saccharine image to the curb. I'm only offering some context: Julie and Blake were pretty much hung out to dry after a couple of flop films, and they just threw caution to the wind and moved forward. If she's really a lesbian or not makes not one little tiny difference in my opinion of her, but the idea of her being cowardly closeted when she's otherwise taken some real risks seems inconsistent, whether it's true or not.

I'll leave with a link to one of Roddy McDowall's home movies from Malibu (no sound) with Julie and her daughter walking on the beach. There's a whole trove of these home movies posted online, and they capture a different place and time so well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2017 8:39 PM

[quote]Everyone are shocked

By what, now? Your illiteracy or your stupidity or both?

Which is them?

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2017 9:03 PM

R22 I wish someone would leak those Roddy McD diaries.

by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2017 9:13 PM

I'll bet Ruth Gordon was a hoot to hang with.

by Anonymousreply 25January 15, 2017 9:21 PM

Should have titled this thread, "Why didn't Julie Andrews' Lesbianism Have a Bigger Career?" Then we'd have 300 replies by now.

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2017 9:22 PM

That haircut has never, ever been flattering. Why hasn't anyone told her in all this time?

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2017 9:24 PM

Julie is an anomaly. Elegantly dykey in appearance, but ultra feminine in demeanor.

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2017 9:33 PM

r22, I totally agree. He was part of the gay Hollywood inner circle. I love the way those home movies make Malibu look like the small beach town it was at one time.

One the running jokes when she's performed with Carol Burnett is that Carol tells everyone how potty-mouthed and not-so-innocent Julie really is. She's basically playing herself in S.O.B. and you see her in a very different light.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 15, 2017 10:03 PM

Why are people in a gay discussion thread talking as if being "lesbo" is something shameful? We're not in the dark ages and I don't care if she is or not. It's her business.

by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2017 11:01 PM

[quote]Short hair makes one lesbian; handsome face makes one gay.

Gay men handsome? You haven't looked online or at a gay bar lately have you?

by Anonymousreply 31January 15, 2017 11:35 PM

How the fuck do you know? You tell people she's a lesbian? You share your speculations with them. And the significance of. short hair...Jesus....

by Anonymousreply 32January 16, 2017 12:10 AM

R14 I don't think that's it.

Generally intercourse between women is not considered proper sex because they don't have a penis. So there is no threat there.

And in heterosexual intercourse men completely ignore women's pleasure and their bodies objectifying them and therefore treating them like a piece of meat. So in a straight guy's mind if men were to treat other men in the same way that they treat their women, they figured it would be a raw deal. That's why they don't like man on man sex, because they know how crap straight sex is (especially for the receiving end) and they don't want that for themselves but they don't mind doing it to others. See?

by Anonymousreply 33January 16, 2017 12:12 AM

Over the last several years, there's been a lot of attention paid to the length of Queen Elizabeth's reign. But take this in: Julie Andrews first performed for the Royals, including PRINCESS Elizabeth, at the age of 13 back in 1948. Her 'professional career' has been even longer than the Queen's.

She was raised by her parents to be a performer. She put out an autobiography in 2008 sharing that she was the product of an affair her mother had had, and didn't learn her biological father's name until 1950, when her mother told her. She lived with a violent alcoholic stepfather who tried to climb in bed with her. If she's a lesbian and prefers to keep that private, that's her right, and I wouldn't really expect anything else for someone from that generation who was raised in show business. And yes, as soon as she passes, the tabloids will have a field day, instead of simply honoring her talent and grace and professionalism.

by Anonymousreply 34January 16, 2017 12:12 AM

R30 this is the DL. They hate women and they cannot conceive of anyone male or female who doesn't worship men.

by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2017 12:13 AM

Because people are still too busy laughing at Dick Van Dykes borderline racist accent, to address this.

by Anonymousreply 36May 21, 2018 8:09 AM

I are shocked to read this. Then again, I are not so shocked given the high I.Q. of many successful actors. They can negotiate being bisexual better than average intelligence straights and homos.

by Anonymousreply 37May 21, 2018 8:16 AM

[quote]R25 I'll bet Ruth Gordon was a hoot to hang with.

I can't remember who it was, but some younger actress was saying in an interview Ruth Gordon was an utter and gigantic pain to work with.

It surprised me. It was one of those [italic] "Next question!" [/italic] moments.

by Anonymousreply 38May 21, 2018 8:17 AM

Lesbian?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 21, 2018 8:32 AM

Julie is amazing. I love her; I simply love her.

by Anonymousreply 40May 21, 2018 2:13 PM

R2 I have no idea what you are talking about!

by Anonymousreply 41May 22, 2018 2:57 AM

She's an interesting character. Unique.

I recall reading in some book, that Sir Ian MacLellan outed Julie and Blake to a gay actor who was preparing to fly out to LA to work with Blake.

IM told the actor 'Yyes Blake. He's wonderful. You'll like him. Did you know he and his wife Julie Andrews are gay?'

by Anonymousreply 42May 22, 2018 3:20 AM

The Lesbianization of Julie tomorrow night on TCM.

by Anonymousreply 43May 22, 2018 7:41 AM

It’s been fifty years since she’s been relevant. That’s why.

by Anonymousreply 44May 22, 2018 7:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!