Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Frank Ocean is the most culturally relevant and widely espected LGBT artist around today

and mostly by keeping his mouth shut and being all enigmatic and shit -- just the way itt should be

by Anonymousreply 596March 12, 2019 1:03 PM

what's an LGBT artist?

what does it eat in winter?

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2016 4:47 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2016 4:48 PM

She's no Billy Ocean

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2016 4:53 PM

she's a mess

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2016 4:57 PM

No one even knows who he is.

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2016 5:03 PM

He's not el-gibiti, OP. He's gay. Say it.

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2016 5:13 PM

OP is 100% correct.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2016 5:16 PM

That's how straight men like their gays: keep out of their eyes and don't shove your sexuality in their faces, whatever that means.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2016 5:22 PM

Hardly, Lance bass @ fan r8

He makes a SIGNIFICANT impact....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2016 5:32 PM

Frank's tumblr ( The only legitimate use of that T word ever )

I read in the paper that my brothers are being thrown from rooftops blindfolded with their hands tied behind their backs for violating sharia law. I heard the crowds stone these fallen men if they move after they hit the ground. I heard it’s in the name of God. I heard my pastor speak for God too, quoting scripture from his book. Words like abomination popped off my skin like hot grease as he went on to describe a lake of fire that God wanted me in. I heard on the news that the aftermath of a hate crime left piles of bodies on a dance floor this month. I heard the gunman feigned dead among all the people he killed. I heard the news say he was one of us. I was six years old when I heard my dad call our transgender waitress a faggot as he dragged me out a neighborhood diner saying we wouldn’t be served because she was dirty. That was the last afternoon I saw my father and the first time I heard that word, I think, although it wouldn’t shock me if it wasn’t. Many hate us and wish we didn’t exist. Many are annoyed by our wanting to be married like everyone else or use the correct restroom like everyone else. Many don’t see anything wrong with passing down the same old values that send thousands of kids into suicidal depression each year. So we say pride and we express love for who and what we are. Because who else will in earnest? I daydream on the idea that maybe all this barbarism and all these transgressions against ourselves is an equal and opposite reaction to something better happening in this world, some great swelling wave of openness and wakefulness out here. Reality by comparison looks grey, as in neither black nor white but also bleak. We are all God’s children, I heard. I left my siblings out of it and spoke with my maker directly and I think he sounds a lot like myself. If I being myself were more awesome at being detached from my own story in a way I being myself never could be. I wanna know what others hear, I’m scared to know but I wanna know what everyone hears when they talk to God. Do the insane hear the voice distorted? Do the indoctrinated hear another voice entirely?

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2016 5:35 PM

Wow, powerful stuf R10 - I never realized he had a tumblr - I just followed him so thanks for re-posting his words!

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2016 5:51 PM

He's done little since Channel Orange (well, he's done stuff, but nothing that got a lot of publicity) - the beginning of his mentioning that he's LGBT. Remember all he hoopla and articles. Well, it hasn't stuck. He's still here of course, but on the periphery. Most culturally relevant and widely respected? How?

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2016 5:53 PM

he's pretty hot in that Malcom X kinda way... and apparently his new album is dropping this month, after 4 years of waiting

by Anonymousreply 13July 3, 2016 7:27 PM

The RELEVANCY it burns!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 6, 2016 7:55 AM

^.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 6, 2016 7:57 AM

Some embarassingly out-of-touch, culturally benighted old farts gonna be looking pretty damn stupid imminently

by Anonymousreply 16July 6, 2016 8:07 AM

takes a mind to worry

A consciousness to feel ashamed

But there's nowhere to hide out here

This sky is filled with planes

by Anonymousreply 17July 6, 2016 8:28 AM

Dat a tranny or nah?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 6, 2016 8:48 AM

From Reddit re new album:

•the song ommas called "one of the greatest pieces of modern music"

• incredibly powerful lyrics,

• subtle gay pride song, but lyrics are abstract enough for interpretation.

•the snippet with the beach boy harmonies is this song.

• uncredited composition by sufjan stevens. Some of his best work lands on this song.

• song would be this generations "imagine" by john lennon " ---

Lawd if true!!!

by Anonymousreply 19July 6, 2016 9:12 AM

you start a habit and you keep it up for four or five weeks and then you stop,

you feel like you’re missing something in your day, that’s what music is for me.

feels like a necessary act, it takes a mind to worry, a conscious to feel ashamed

but there's no planes to hide out here, these skies are filled with planes

you just sort of romanticize something that's in the past is fantasy because

it's not exactly how it went down, a fantasy plays like the role of a supplement,

drawn fantasy to make things hyper real, saturate the colours --- And you know he had a hand in every single detail of the aesthetics of that commercial!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 6, 2016 9:21 AM

I give him props, but I think he's overrated. Channel Orange wasn't all that. He doesn't get a pass from me just because he's gay. Culturally relevancy and being respected are far from qualities that I care about in an artist.

by Anonymousreply 21July 6, 2016 9:33 AM

Love the way the gay men and the LGBT trans crowd try to claim a bisexual man when it's convenient, like Frank Ocean or Shakespeare or Oscar Wilde. Frank Icean us a self-professed bisexual man. He us not gay. He is not "LGBT", or as someone put it above, el-gibiti.

by Anonymousreply 22July 6, 2016 9:55 AM

What do you think the B stands for?

by Anonymousreply 23July 6, 2016 10:08 AM

Dem veins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 6, 2016 11:43 AM

He is bisexual, not an alphabet letter claimed by tumblr otherkin ilk and their allies. He is

by Anonymousreply 25July 6, 2016 11:44 AM

Tumblr idjits stealing essence of proud out BISEXUAL men in order to create fictitious otherworld of otherkin unicorn-fancying-my-boyfriend is Brony so I am queer community.

by Anonymousreply 26July 6, 2016 12:04 PM

He's got one of those crazy paradoxical one-moment-ugly-next-moment-stunning faces

His inhumanly beautiful smile along with the ice berg melting emotional tension here totally murder-rapes my heart:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 6, 2016 12:07 PM

Brothas always gotta keep it on da low. Otherwise they won't be welcome at da club, drinking Hennessy with their bros in the VIP section.

by Anonymousreply 28July 6, 2016 12:16 PM

(R27) Really?

by Anonymousreply 29July 6, 2016 12:18 PM

Which part do you wanna query, queery r29 ?

by Anonymousreply 30July 6, 2016 12:22 PM

He says a few more words in this, possibly new lyrics ; his music his the background?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 6, 2016 12:50 PM

^ Thank God that Frank and former Sex God Henry Rollins don't lower themselves to parroting directly the shill phrase like the rest of these whores

by Anonymousreply 32July 6, 2016 12:55 PM

Just posted on tumblr " self-portrait " :

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 6, 2016 1:10 PM

Fringe artist.

by Anonymousreply 34July 6, 2016 1:56 PM

He sho' is uglyyyyyyyyy, haaaaaHA!

by Anonymousreply 35July 6, 2016 2:15 PM

The man in the still from R24 is not Frank Ocean in case anyone cares

by Anonymousreply 36July 6, 2016 2:27 PM

R36 it's from the fucking video. He wearis a white tee in that too. It's him. Why do you say otherwise ?

by Anonymousreply 37July 6, 2016 3:33 PM

R24. 99% certainly ihim

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 6, 2016 4:14 PM

Frank and the guy from R24 don't have the same veiny arms. Watch the video again to see how they splice in Mr. Veins.

Also, look at Frank fully clothed. Does he really look THAT shredded? Not complaining, just pointing it out. I'll stop now.

by Anonymousreply 39July 6, 2016 4:37 PM

Arms: check Veins: check Frank: check

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 6, 2016 4:49 PM

* Arms:: check

Veins: check

Frank..

Etc

by Anonymousreply 41July 6, 2016 4:51 PM

There have been several shirtless pics of him over the years and he's always had a low BF level ; if anything ihes even lower now . He's always been kinda low key skinny-buff.

by Anonymousreply 42July 6, 2016 4:58 PM

He is much better than Kanye, but a hipster hopper nonetheless, and as with all hipster hoppers wildly overrated. And beside he is bisexual so part of the BT bit, which isn't really part of the gay and lesbian culture.

by Anonymousreply 43July 6, 2016 5:10 PM

There are just as many quotes and inferences to suggest he's gay as opposed to bisexual. But the jury remains tantalisingly out

by Anonymousreply 44July 6, 2016 5:19 PM

His new record is the most anticipated of the year. Hyped, but arguably completely justified.

by Anonymousreply 45July 6, 2016 5:25 PM

where's Billy Ocean, BTW? He was fun!

by Anonymousreply 46July 6, 2016 5:34 PM

Re frank's body:

I remember his Instagram (before he deleted his social media) he would only rarely interact with the clusterfuck of messy psycho fraus , trannys , and creepy desperate bottoms fighting eacother over him... One Such times he did deign was after hed posted a pict of his face while lying down and he received a comment to the effect that he looked like he'd gained weight… Quick as a flash Frank put that motherfucker in his or her place and let it be known it was not true.. He's family alright!

by Anonymousreply 47July 6, 2016 5:39 PM

Yeah r46 he's more for ya original thinker, comedy genius kind of music fan

by Anonymousreply 48July 6, 2016 5:48 PM

I kind of fell in love with Channel Orange. Can't wait for the new stuff.

But I did think he was keeping the gay stuff on the down low until he made that Tumblr post after the Orlando shooting. It looks like he's triggered.

By the way, a story is out that he's the new Calvin klein model.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 6, 2016 5:57 PM

a "story"? the damn, pretentious AF ad is online already!

by Anonymousreply 50July 6, 2016 6:00 PM

I stand by the premise of this thread; there is no one else even close

by Anonymousreply 51July 6, 2016 6:07 PM

He's a genius. I can't wait for the new album.

by Anonymousreply 52July 6, 2016 6:12 PM

He can't sing, he has no hit songs, he's pretentious and fails at being poetic. He managed to make a name for himself by coming out as gay but he tries to distance himself from his sexuality ever since. He used the gay community to further himself and he's still a flop. No respect from me.

by Anonymousreply 53July 6, 2016 6:18 PM

Worse have been said about a lot of geniuses R53. Many aren't appreciated in their time. Also he's far from a flop and has one of the most anticipated albums coming out possibly soon.

by Anonymousreply 54July 6, 2016 6:20 PM

R54 "Geniuses" child please, and anticipated by who? Other self hating gays??

by Anonymousreply 55July 6, 2016 6:23 PM

Agreed, OP.

"Thinking About You" is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 56July 6, 2016 6:26 PM

It seems like every other month there is a new World's Greatest Rapper who all the hipsters and critics fawn over. Remember Jay Z, Lil Wayne, Kanye, Kendrick Lamar, 2 Chainz? Now there's a new GOAT at least until the end of the summer, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 57July 6, 2016 6:29 PM

Hipster throw around the word genius like it means nothing. Frank Ocean is not a genius, he may be a very talent rap artist, but he is not a genius. Eisenstein was a genius, Hawking is a genius, De Vinci was a genius, Verdi was a genius, Wagner was a genius. rap musicians are not.

by Anonymousreply 58July 6, 2016 6:29 PM

He's a talented rapper? I thought he was just a really bad singer?

by Anonymousreply 59July 6, 2016 6:31 PM

Lord. The elderqueens are really exposing themselves in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 60July 6, 2016 6:32 PM

Yes Frank Ocean may be too lowkey on the gay issue but on the opposite spectrum you get instagram happy gays like Steve Grand. Sometimes it's better not to advertise yourself so much so everyone is sick of you.

by Anonymousreply 61July 6, 2016 6:33 PM

is he a rapper? he doesn't rap that much on Channel Orange. That's the main reason i like that album!

by Anonymousreply 62July 6, 2016 8:01 PM

He doesn't rap at all on Channel Orange nor on its predecessor Nostagia Ultra . Now, he *can* rap, quite well in fact, but it's not primary occupation artistically (thus far).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 7, 2016 12:19 AM

I've never heard a Frank Ocean song. Has he had any mainstream hits? Or is he one of those acts only loved by critics?

by Anonymousreply 64July 7, 2016 12:23 AM

"mainstream hits"

See... that's your problem

by Anonymousreply 65July 7, 2016 12:27 AM

Greatness

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 7, 2016 12:30 AM

Listen to Sweet LIfe, R64. It's a great song of his on Channel Orange. It's a very pop song, i think was one of the singles.

by Anonymousreply 67July 7, 2016 12:37 AM

He can't sing.

by Anonymousreply 68July 7, 2016 12:39 AM

I looked for the video for "Pyramids" and the electronic instrumental middle break wasn't in it. Which is the coolest bit of music on the whole album.

I know it was about a stripper, but too cliche for me

by Anonymousreply 69July 7, 2016 12:43 AM

I'm not saying he's untalented but can your cultural relevance be considerable if most people have never heard your music?

by Anonymousreply 70July 7, 2016 12:43 AM

Let's face it even Clay Aiken (gag) has had more impact than this hipster trash singer.

by Anonymousreply 71July 7, 2016 12:48 AM

R68 You tried.

He can sing ...but it's when he elavates into his falsetto is when the magic occurs. But he reserves this sparingly, like his smile , to glorious effect. But singing is not everything. You sound like you'd be better off with an American idol contestant. . John Lennon couldn't sing. Bob Dylan couldn't sing etc etc Some things are more important than vocal perfection: such as art; and genuine emotion instead of emoting; and ideas

by Anonymousreply 72July 7, 2016 12:49 AM

I understand the notion of being enigmatic, but Frank took it to far. His failure to produce as album all these years has withered his fanbase and cultural relevance. People got tired of him delaying the album and being cuoy. His failure to engage the public is viewed as him being a jerk or scatterbrained. He has allowed Miguel and The Weeknd to supplant him. You can't be so withdrawn that people start to think you are a jerk

by Anonymousreply 73July 7, 2016 12:51 AM

R72 Honey, he's not John Lennon nor is he Bob Dylan. You're right some things are more important than vocals, it just so happens that he has none of those qualities either.

by Anonymousreply 74July 7, 2016 12:52 AM

Yep, people think he's pretentious. His Grammy performance seemed like he wasn't even trying. People wanted him to be big, but instead he seemed stuck on being weird and enigmatic. You can be enigmatic, but at least be prolific

by Anonymousreply 75July 7, 2016 12:55 AM

R74 Well, we'll see.

Or rather I will; you're old and will be dead soon

by Anonymousreply 76July 7, 2016 1:19 AM

R74, don't call dudes "honey. " at least not like that.

by Anonymousreply 77July 7, 2016 1:21 AM

We're comparing a rapper with one unsold record to Bon Dylan and John Lennon?

Response #1: I hate Millenials

Response #2: Only on Datalounge

by Anonymousreply 78July 7, 2016 1:35 AM

I'm a huge fan of Dylan. Not his singing, but his songwriting.

"Bad Religion" is equal to "It Ain't Me Babe".

by Anonymousreply 79July 7, 2016 1:42 AM

Hopefully his new album (?) will feature a big pop friendly number that will give him the big audience he deserves.

Half the motherfuckers on this thread probably thought Prince would be a flash in the pan since they didn't hear about him until "Purple Rain".

by Anonymousreply 80July 7, 2016 1:48 AM

He is gay. He was saying bi sexual to ease the black commuinty into his persona.

by Anonymousreply 81July 7, 2016 1:54 AM

R78 yes, that's the writing terrotiroty he's iin marking out or is looking likely to develop into. I'd also add in Joni Mitchell, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield. But maybe you know better than the music professionals and critics?

by Anonymousreply 82July 7, 2016 1:57 AM

*Marking out

by Anonymousreply 83July 7, 2016 1:58 AM

If the handful of stunning songs off James Blake's latest is any indication.... There should be a lot to enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 84July 7, 2016 1:58 AM

* sigh* also "territory"

by Anonymousreply 85July 7, 2016 1:59 AM

Would it be an outrageously problematic microaggression to aver he's quite an impressively articulate chap?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 7, 2016 2:11 AM

Prince's Little Red Corvette hit #6 and 1999 hit #12 but NOBODY heard of Prince until a year later when Purple Rain hit.

That's two top 10 singles on Billboard. Frank has zero top 10 singles so far.

by Anonymousreply 87July 7, 2016 2:12 AM

Top 20 not Top 10

by Anonymousreply 88July 7, 2016 2:12 AM

Is this thread real? Channel Orange was pretty good but does the OP really think Frank Ocean is the most culturally relevant and widely respected LBGT artist? I guess we could ask who the other contenders would be.

by Anonymousreply 89July 7, 2016 2:24 AM

R89 Be my guest..the floor is yours

by Anonymousreply 90July 7, 2016 2:38 AM

Andy Cohen, obviously!

by Anonymousreply 91July 7, 2016 2:41 AM

[quote]is the most culturally relevant

Ellen

[quote]widely respected

Eh....

by Anonymousreply 92July 7, 2016 2:42 AM

Certainly not Colton!

by Anonymousreply 93July 7, 2016 2:47 AM

Whether by default -- due to the parlous state of LGBT culture which seems to consist chiefly of twerking,YouTube attention whoring, and RuPaul's Drag Race -- or otherwise, my assertion stands: He is CURRENTLY the most significant homo or homo-adjacent artist (I meant musical artist but I think it might stands more generally) around who's still relevant and garnering buzz from the cultural elite as well as the street. But please feel free to submit your own candidate.

by Anonymousreply 94July 7, 2016 2:52 AM

It's a rare artist that can bridge the cultural elite and da street… And it's unfuckingheard of for an openly gay or bi artist to do so. I'm thinking Andy Warhol maybe but, not quite... Or Freddie Mercury, but that coward didn't even come out till he was almost dead, and was never really had any cultural cache (post Bohemian Rhapsody ) except in a fond, guilty pleasures kinda way. Oh wait… What was I thinking… of course… Adam Lambert !!!!!

by Anonymousreply 95July 7, 2016 3:11 AM

I like your style mister OP @ R94. I have some challenge candidates for you, but we will see how this shakes out. More would be better than one, we can agree?

by Anonymousreply 96July 7, 2016 3:13 AM

Eh.. Maxwell!

by Anonymousreply 97July 7, 2016 3:14 AM

The retards have arrived

THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 98July 7, 2016 3:15 AM

I never got into this music. His voice just doesn't move me.

Zayn Malik is not gay, but he is the only singer I enjoy when it comes to the younger guys. His voice amazing but he has turned out to be a studio singer.

by Anonymousreply 99July 7, 2016 3:23 AM

Why my good sir, R96, I most heartily accept your challenge on behalf of the blessed acronym (or whatever that lgbt thing is called) The only winner will be Culture herself

by Anonymousreply 100July 7, 2016 3:24 AM

Now, some ancient white FAG at r98 got his Prince panties in a knot. His contributions to this thread have all been negative statements plus of course the hilarious Andy Cohen remark! Keep going pa. Retards love the effeminate gays as court jester generation. Who doesn't?

by Anonymousreply 101July 7, 2016 3:26 AM

Y'all so old and out of touch

by Anonymousreply 102July 7, 2016 3:28 AM

Duh r99 One of, if not THE, biggest influences on Zayn Malik' is * drumroll*...Frank Ocean ...even copted same producer to get a similar sound

by Anonymousreply 103July 7, 2016 3:31 AM

*copped

by Anonymousreply 104July 7, 2016 3:32 AM

R104

Coöpted

by Anonymousreply 105July 7, 2016 3:35 AM

Cräp.

by Anonymousreply 106July 7, 2016 3:35 AM

Frank is one of the vanishingly rare widely acknowledged cool gays. That shit takes some finessing. Trust.

by Anonymousreply 107July 7, 2016 3:37 AM

r103, yes gurl, I know one of Frank Ocean's producers worked on Zayn's album...but I am talking about vocal quality here. Zayn Malik's voice is more pleasing to me.

by Anonymousreply 108July 7, 2016 3:39 AM

What is the DL consensus about his penis?

by Anonymousreply 109July 7, 2016 3:40 AM

His penis is GAY

by Anonymousreply 110July 7, 2016 3:42 AM

"You say it's big but you take it.. riiiide cowgirl"

Confirmed

by Anonymousreply 111July 7, 2016 3:46 AM

I dunno this seems pretty smooth to me, "gurl" r108 -- for a throwaway tumblr track.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 7, 2016 3:52 AM

Get back to me when Zayn Malik can write anything approaching this… Or write anything on his own without a shit ton of help

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113July 7, 2016 4:04 AM

Better link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114July 7, 2016 4:05 AM

Anyone heard of the artist Blood Orange. His new album is called Freetown Sound and it's gotten rave reviews. Not to derail the thread, but it's sort of alt-R&B in the vein of Frank Ocean. Not that they sound the same, but some similar templates. And, Blood Orange seems to suggest he's gay positive/friendly. The first paragraph from the Onion AV club review:

"In an Instagram post three weeks ago, Devonté Hynes, better known as Blood Orange, explicitly declared who his third record is for: “everyone told they’re not black enough, too black, too queer, not queer the right way, the [underappreciated]… it’s a clapback.”

by Anonymousreply 115July 7, 2016 4:07 AM

R175 Yeah Aka Lightspeed champion I love him forever and hoped he was gay; he would definitely qualify for the cool gay club. Also love the work he did with solange. Do you think is the closet case, discreet, or straight?

by Anonymousreply 116July 7, 2016 4:13 AM

If Hüsker Dü had been out in the 80s they would be about the same level of coolness as Frank ocean but not as widely known; or if Michael Stipe had of come out about the time of losing my religion

by Anonymousreply 117July 7, 2016 4:19 AM

Before anyone tries it Morrissey doesn't count.. for sooo many reasons

by Anonymousreply 118July 7, 2016 4:21 AM

Were Bob Mould and Grant Hart ever out when Husker Du were together? I don't recall that they were.

Love Husker Du (and Sugar and Mould solo). Still love the fact that Husker Du was 2/3 gay and the member who looked straight up like a 70s era mustache gay was the straight one while Hart and Mould looked like sloppy straight guys.

Grant Hart got thin and sort of looks like an aging lesbian - but I still love him. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 119July 7, 2016 4:23 AM

I think the reason to exclude Morrissey is simply his current cultural relevancy. The Smiths were SO great and so was some of his solo stuff - and it's still beloved and listened to. But, is he currently culturally relevant?

by Anonymousreply 120July 7, 2016 4:26 AM

honourable mention: Wookid

by Anonymousreply 121July 7, 2016 4:27 AM

^And especially his video concepts and directing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 7, 2016 4:29 AM

Oops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123July 7, 2016 4:30 AM

Fun fact: Frank's ex BF is the long haired dude in that woodkid video

by Anonymousreply 124July 7, 2016 4:33 AM

Dev Hynes has spoken of his new album in queer terms. It's safe to say he's LGBT.

by Anonymousreply 125July 7, 2016 4:34 AM

I don't know, R116. He has an album as Lightspeed Champion called Falling off the Lavender Bridge. And his Blood Orange album Coastal Grooves is apparently "inspired by the film Paris is Burning" (per iTunes summary of the album).

by Anonymousreply 126July 7, 2016 4:34 AM

Mykki Blanco is male, right?

by Anonymousreply 127July 7, 2016 4:36 AM

Trans (well this week anyway)

by Anonymousreply 128July 7, 2016 4:38 AM

yawn

by Anonymousreply 129July 7, 2016 4:38 AM

Honourable mention : Block Party's kele unpronouncablesomethingorother (Well technically about 5 years ago when he wasn't yet gay)

by Anonymousreply 130July 7, 2016 4:41 AM

R129

Lady Gaga ➡️

⬅️ Captain and Tenille

by Anonymousreply 131July 7, 2016 4:48 AM

Yes he fucking was, r130.

by Anonymousreply 132July 7, 2016 4:50 AM

Lol You hardly count as male, Simon

by Anonymousreply 133July 7, 2016 4:53 AM

Blood Orange has some great throwback r n b, and dance pop, some well arranged moments and musical passages, and a lot of tracks on it.

Its written from the underdog perspective and celebrates keeping going under life's adversity and bs.

No one has to buy Frank's music, but i root for him and pay attention because of where he is at the moment. A LOT of people are anticipating this release.

Including Adele who arguably owns the current stage with him as well... Bey is a given

by Anonymousreply 134July 7, 2016 4:57 AM

Morrissee is not gay or bisexual he's " HUMASEXUAL"

I guess that must a cool thing for his incongruous adoring Latino devotees

by Anonymousreply 135July 7, 2016 5:09 AM

Oooohh I just remembered a genuinely cool one ...but I don't know whether it still counts because they were MASSIVVE in the 90s but still going...and not many people even today that they were gay..and I don't know if they were big outside of Europe

UNDErWORLD

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136July 7, 2016 5:17 AM

* not many people even today know they were gay

by Anonymousreply 137July 7, 2016 5:18 AM

Oh...I can't find any references to karl Hyde from underworld being gay. Could've sworn I read or heared an interview about two of the three being gay. But can't find it so disregard

by Anonymousreply 138July 7, 2016 5:33 AM

Briefly Uber cool honourable mention: the XX

by Anonymousreply 139July 7, 2016 5:42 AM

Briefly über cool, honorary mention (although not 100% determined coz ya know too cool n' shit) : The Knife

by Anonymousreply 140July 7, 2016 5:45 AM

100% accredited cool ass gay with left field superstar potential: Arca (and cute)

by Anonymousreply 141July 7, 2016 5:50 AM

^ Edit my muthafucking eyes: No longer cute by a looooooong way

by Anonymousreply 142July 7, 2016 5:52 AM

Yeah imma stop because this is futile., frankly ( 😉) no one comes close to occupying the position that Frank holds in the culture righ now. Which is as much a testament to him as it is an indictment on us and culture generally

by Anonymousreply 143July 7, 2016 6:04 AM

Average age of urban hipster = 33.

by Anonymousreply 144July 7, 2016 7:06 AM

I hardly listen to any gay artists, like Frank Ocean most just suck. Tara Jane O'Neil is lesbian, and awesome, she is pretty much the only gay or lesbian artist I get, some Hidden Cameras tracks are pretty cool too.

by Anonymousreply 145July 7, 2016 7:13 AM

He's a hot bisexual brutha 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

by Anonymousreply 146July 7, 2016 3:00 PM

Things will only dramatically change when a straight teenage boy can look at his hero and think: "I wanna be just like that guy, as cool ass as that guy"; irrespective of his idol's sexuality. The Frank Ocean phenomenon is laying the foundation to that destination, a future of TRUE acceptance.

by Anonymousreply 147July 7, 2016 3:54 PM

R147 But the shrill, gay ghetto-minded, "heteronormality!!!!" shriekers and edgy "queers" will try to hold us back. They pine for a fantasy of a Weimar Republic, long for fabulous degeneracy cred, routcasts status and romantic victimhood and romantic martyrdom.

by Anonymousreply 148July 7, 2016 4:12 PM

* or maybe "Heteronormativity "

by Anonymousreply 149July 7, 2016 4:15 PM

Dat damn smile bump!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150July 7, 2016 7:39 PM

i like his songs, but the people all over this thread claiming he's changing western civilization need to put the pipe down.

by Anonymousreply 151July 7, 2016 8:22 PM

I think he is the best singer after Bowie and Elton. I would actually he is better than Elton.

If Frank has his head in right place he could be the next iconic music star like Elvis or Bowie.

by Anonymousreply 152July 7, 2016 8:24 PM

I think his strength is musical atmosphere and setting a nice groove. His singing is medocore, but it works for his music.

by Anonymousreply 153July 7, 2016 9:48 PM

Frank Ocean’s estranged father is blasting his famous son for telling the world lies about him being homophobic in response to an essay the singer posted days after the Orlando nightclub shooting in which he recalls an incident as a child where his dad hurled homophobic slurs at a transgender waitress, with the man saying his son fabricated the entire story and it never even happened.

On July 5th, Frank’s dad (Calvin Cooksey) sent over a strange letter to the judge in the case explaining – for no apparent reason – he has been distracted, sleepless and confused after he discovered his son made headlines by telling more lies about him.

According to the letter, Frank recently released an essay on his Tumblr in which he responded to the Orlando nightclub shooting at the gay nightclub Pulse. He posted,

Cooksey says his son is a liar and he is not homophobic. He accuses his son of lying because he is scared to face his father as a homosexual male. Further, he points out that if Frank was really 6-years-old, he wouldn’t be able to remember such an incident.

The man says that Frank wouldn’t even provide a declaration to the defendants in the legal battle because he claims the singer knows he is lying when he labels Cooksey a ‘dead beat dad’.

He argues that since his son is a known liar and Global Grind repeated the lies and thus he should be awarded $5 million dollars in damages or the entire $142 million he originally demanded in the legal battle.

---

Rest of the article details the deadbeat's previous attempted shakedown

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154July 8, 2016 5:07 PM

Edit

*he posted:

"I was six years old when I heard my dad call our transgender waitress a faggot as he dragged me out a neighborhood diner saying we wouldn’t be served because she was dirty. That was the last afternoon I saw my father and the first time I heard that word, I think, although it wouldn’t shock me if it wasn’t. "

by Anonymousreply 155July 8, 2016 5:10 PM

R150 ewww he's cockeyed!!!

by Anonymousreply 156July 8, 2016 5:36 PM

[quote]He has no hit songs.

LOL. Oh, grandpa.

Frank is def hot AF but something about him makes me think he's uppity. Like if you're not "Hot" or "Cool" he won't give you the time of day. I don't get that from Dev.

by Anonymousreply 157July 8, 2016 5:44 PM

Channel Orange is pretty great. But, when it was released, people were talking about about his supposedly legendary Nostalgia, Ultra, which is much worse, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 158July 8, 2016 6:00 PM

He's got swag.

by Anonymousreply 159July 8, 2016 6:27 PM

R157 because Dev Hynes has that traditional (often faux ) British self deprecation thing going on. Frank walks a endlessly interesting precarious line between turnt up Hyper-masculine swag and braggadocio, and humble sensitive singer-songwriter-cum-intellectual without risking the ultimate sin of appearing "soft!" let alone reading "gay!" No easy task. His code switching is as endlessly dextrous and fascinating as any of his other creations.

by Anonymousreply 160July 8, 2016 7:34 PM

^ *endlessly "endlessly". Sorry

by Anonymousreply 161July 8, 2016 7:39 PM

[quote] I think his strength is musical atmosphere and setting a nice groove. His singing is medocore, but it works for his music.

Let me preface this by saying I only listened to this album today after reading this thread, so over time my opinion could change. I actually find his voice to be the more interesting and enjoyable part of his music. The samples and beats sound a bit dated and bland to me. I know this makes me sound super old, but most of the songs sound like what you'd hear on side 2 of an album. Not bad, but not exactly pulling you in. I think there's a lot of potential there and will keep listening. Definitely interested to hear what he does next.

by Anonymousreply 162July 8, 2016 8:04 PM

R162, it would be interesting to get your take on hist first album (mixtape technically) -- NOSTALGIA, ULTRA. Half the album employs extensive samples of other artists' songs -- the use of one EXTREMELY iconic track in particular is breathtakingly shameless act of iconoclastic effrontery -- taking them into new and fascinatingly cinematic territories.

But the original tracks here are amongst his best work.

The track NOVACANE charts territory never before explored in any song, to my knowledge, certainly not in an uptempo R&B song: namely that of a man in extremis, a midst a sexual-identity crisis, and it employs the metaphor of drugs and increasingly rote sexual encounters with multiple women in order to numb the pain of a...something..some dark nameless dis-ease in his soul..which in retrospect we know all too well; until finally he "can't feel a thing", he's close to losing the struggle or perhaps coming to a new realisation. Or maybe not. His best work, not unlike all good poetry, eschews easy glib answers and single interpretations.

Another song, WE All TRY, being perhaps the best example of this trait, finds him hard to pin down vis-a-vis liberal/conservative, hawk/dove, pro-life/anti-abortion, hypocrite/sincere, rational/conspiracy theorist, believer/atheist -- he's endlessly tricksy, playful and fork-tongued. And it's all this but it's also primarily love song too. A love song to humanity -- at its crooked timber less-than-perfect best. That's frank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163July 8, 2016 10:10 PM

We all try

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164July 8, 2016 10:12 PM

Wow. Confirmation that frank has been working on that novel he promised. Some one naked into the Calvin Klein websites code and found this ready to go but not yet officially posted. Also the magazine (possibly fashion and culture) :

Frank Ocean is one of the most artistic and enigmatic musicians working today. Though it has been more than four years since he released his debut studio album, Channel Orange, interest in Ocean hasn’t waned. Instead, it’s increased.

He is known for being a perfectionist, and a pursuant of creativity in all forms. He resists pressure and follows his own vision. He has published a magazine and worked on a novel while continuing to perfect his highly anticipated second album.

Ocean shuns interviews and social media, and prefers instead to speak through his work. He has said that when it comes to understanding music, the most important thing is to just press play. Ocean is a powerful storyteller, using his own openness and honesty to create an emotionally intimate world in each of his songs. With his craft, his aim is not money, power, or fame, but to grow, progress, evolve and eventually be the absolute best.

So while he continues to work on that, we’ll continue to wait, as long as it takes, because when Frank Ocean does something, he does it right. The wait will be worth it."

by Anonymousreply 165July 9, 2016 12:24 AM

*hacked into the code

by Anonymousreply 166July 9, 2016 12:25 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 167July 9, 2016 2:50 AM

While I do find Frank to be musically awful and horrible for the gay community I do quite like the other gay musician who spawned from his "Odd Future" collective, Syd/The Internet. She's consistently stepped up and grown as an artist, not the best vocalists and her albums aren't perfect either but she always manages to create a handful of songs that show her development and soulfulness each time.

by Anonymousreply 168July 9, 2016 3:53 PM

R168 " horrible for the gay community"

Troll harder

by Anonymousreply 169July 9, 2016 4:00 PM

I wanna add that in every interviews he's given he looks low, depressed, and quite unhappy. Hell, even that Calvin Klein ad is disturbing. He's probably mentally ill: black and gay is still a heavy burden.

by Anonymousreply 170July 9, 2016 4:11 PM

He was replaced by the Weeknd, who is even more enigmatic, yet somehow manages to consistently release new material.

by Anonymousreply 171July 9, 2016 4:36 PM

R170, Respectfully, you're an idiot! There's a video interview posted on this very thread where he's smiling and being charming virtually the whole way through. Youre trolling. You know nothing about this guy. Your too old and outta touch. Glad to be able to enlighten you.

by Anonymousreply 172July 9, 2016 4:36 PM

i still bet on suicide 5 years from now, r172

by Anonymousreply 173July 9, 2016 4:39 PM

I see R170 's problem. He doesn't get the concept of natural "swag ." Why would he? Personally more invested in the Liberace approach

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174July 9, 2016 4:41 PM

* he's more personally invested in the Liberace approach

by Anonymousreply 175July 9, 2016 4:44 PM

I thought the Weeknd replaced Burial(talk about enigmatic) love all three artists...

I thought Frank would surprise us by dropping it out of nowhere. Now with all the chaos going on, it coud matter more... Salve

by Anonymousreply 176July 9, 2016 4:48 PM

Code switchin suave SMILEY Frank

(Only let down by his using "less" instead of "fewer." He knows better!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177July 9, 2016 4:56 PM

Gay men are waaaay to smiley, seeking endless validation. They should take a tip from this guy.

by Anonymousreply 178July 9, 2016 5:00 PM

^Too smiley

by Anonymousreply 179July 9, 2016 5:00 PM

He's a massive fan of Celine Dion and the collects classic typewriters. I'll just park that here because I'll never use it again.

by Anonymousreply 180July 9, 2016 5:06 PM

He is very sexy

by Anonymousreply 181July 9, 2016 5:07 PM

If I recall correctly he Had a reading list up on his social media that was quite impressive in its breadth of subject matter not skimping on politics and high culture. I think Christopher Isherwood's Mr Norris Changes Train was a one of his favourite novels.; Probably gay themes.

by Anonymousreply 182July 9, 2016 5:27 PM

Frank's stepfather was former New Orleans Police Chief Warren Riley

"Katonya Breaux Riley is married to former New Orleans Police Chief Warren Riley, which means that Frank Ocean’s stepdad is the controversial, much-criticized guy in the infamous photo below with former NOLA Mayor Ray Nagin…"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183July 9, 2016 5:37 PM

Singer. Songwriter. Novelist. Magazine publisher. Photographer. Painter. (Possibly ceramicist )

Tryhard pretentious cunt!

by Anonymousreply 184July 9, 2016 6:35 PM

Too fucking cute

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185July 10, 2016 12:45 AM

Cool

by Anonymousreply 186July 10, 2016 12:47 AM

R178, I know people here criticize today's men for not being smiley, but I like that about mainstream men. It conveys seriousness, masculinity, strength.

by Anonymousreply 187July 10, 2016 12:49 AM

Releasing a novel is a terribly --TERRIBLY! --risky idea. It's not as readily transferable skill as you'd imagine. Morrissey died on his arse -- a lesser overinflated ego would never recover from the public humiliation. Conversely Salman Rushdie's lyrical collab with U2 was a dud.

Can anyone think of any successful crossover of rock star to respected novelist? Nearest I've got is Bob Dylan even though technically Chronicles is a memoir. I think Joni could pull it off. And maybe Leonard Cohen -- but again poetry or poetic doesn't necessarily successfully transfer across into prose.

by Anonymousreply 188July 10, 2016 12:59 AM

^Or Not book length extended prose anyway

by Anonymousreply 189July 10, 2016 1:02 AM

Tracy Thorn formerly of Everything But The Girl is a good writer. Ditto Patti Smith

by Anonymousreply 190July 10, 2016 1:08 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 191July 10, 2016 8:22 AM

God he's sexy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192July 10, 2016 1:55 PM

Best pic of him IMO. I like 'em mean & moody... suicidally inclined & rich

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193July 10, 2016 4:07 PM

what a nice pic, R193... very handsome.

by Anonymousreply 194July 10, 2016 10:45 PM

He's hot

by Anonymousreply 195July 11, 2016 3:44 AM

Pure masc SEXXXXXX here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196July 11, 2016 7:32 AM

On your knees bitch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197July 11, 2016 7:34 AM

Haha so nobody able to rebut my thesis after all....where dem other names be at breh?

by Anonymousreply 198July 11, 2016 11:08 AM

R115 Dev Hynes latest interview:

Singer-songwriter and producer Dev Hynes has spoken about how he perceives his sexual identity in a new interview with ES Magazine.

The 30-year-old, who performs as Blood Orange (and previously Lightspeed Champion), and has produced and written songs for the likes of Kylie, Mutya Keisha Siobhan and Solange Knowles, revealed that when it comes to his sexuality, he’s taking a leaf of Prince and David Bowie’s book when it comes to labelling himself.

“Things are fluid. I think a lot of people look at me and think, ‘No, it’s strong if you define yourself and it’ll be helpful to others.’ But I think they don’t realise that I’m not hiding in not defining myself”, he explains.

“I’m openly not defining myself. To me, that’s the school of Bowie and Prince, where they were just themselves.”

London-born Hynes, who released third studio album Freetown Sound earlier this year, adds that while he has slept with men in the past, it “wasn’t his thing”, and is currently seeing “a couple of people”.

As a child, Hynes would paint his nails and took tap dancing and ballet classes, which attracted bullies.

“It was mainly black kids doing it,” he says. “There was a sense that I was different to them. White people didn’t really give a f**k”.

You can read the full interview with Dev Hynes in ES magazine, out today (July 28).

----- Wait, weren't the two guys he specifically singles out ultimately judged by public consensus to be very, even *very* straight?! So what signal is this guy really sending out by not really sending out a signal? Still, how brave and noble of a guy practically unknown to the public to sacrifice his public-image for the less fortunate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199July 28, 2016 1:43 PM

Album

tonight?!?!?'

by Anonymousreply 200July 28, 2016 1:47 PM

Neither Prince nor Bowie were people who refused to "define" their sexuality. Both were unambiguous. Bowie said early on, quite clearly, that he was bisexual then later on stated that it was an obvious (and highly successful) publicity gimmick dreamed up by his then wife. From then on he was clear about his heterosexuality. Prince was basically homophobic. No ambiguity there, at all.

by Anonymousreply 201July 28, 2016 1:52 PM

Excellent point r201. It's just a shame no journalist similatly calls these types out on their contradictory BS in what effectively is little more than ego-massaging puff pieces

by Anonymousreply 202July 28, 2016 3:44 PM

This bitch has hate raped my mental joy hole by withholding this album ..he has less than 48 hrs to drop this Imuthafucking Ju-lie record as promised or I'm THRU ...after 4yrs unrewarded selfless stanning

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203July 30, 2016 5:10 PM

OMG! Something is happening… Some kind of live stream

by Anonymousreply 204August 1, 2016 8:34 AM

...OR it could be a Frank trolling us in the name of "art" ..The title is called "endless" (ahem)

by Anonymousreply 205August 1, 2016 8:42 AM

Wouldn't it be hilarious if, after taking several years to make, his second album was - industry term coming up - shit on a stick.

by Anonymousreply 206August 1, 2016 8:45 AM

I like the name of his new album. Very original!

by Anonymousreply 207August 1, 2016 8:51 AM

He should call his new album "Perfectly Frank" or "A Drop in the Ocean".

by Anonymousreply 208August 1, 2016 9:40 AM

Is he another Lauryn Hill in the making?

by Anonymousreply 209August 1, 2016 9:41 AM

If I kept my mouth shut, I wouldn't get very far in the gay department, wink wink,

by Anonymousreply 210August 1, 2016 12:59 PM

Frank handles wood like a pro!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211August 1, 2016 5:45 PM

BTW he's building a staircase

by Anonymousreply 212August 1, 2016 5:48 PM

Coming Friday!

Love him.

by Anonymousreply 213August 2, 2016 2:47 AM

On the job again.

ASMR for masc gay hipster worshippers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214August 2, 2016 1:11 PM

I really liked the last album but what has he been doing for four years?

by Anonymousreply 215August 2, 2016 1:53 PM

R215 Refining his wood handling skills apparently.

I've got a few knots he could smooth out

by Anonymousreply 216August 2, 2016 1:57 PM

At fist sight the reachiest of all pseudo-intellectual clickbait think piece reaches ...but actually: yes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217August 3, 2016 7:33 AM

Is it out yet, then? And if it still isn't out yet, does that indicate that the album is - industry term coming up - a pile of shite?

by Anonymousreply 218August 6, 2016 9:20 AM

It's not trending. It must not be out

by Anonymousreply 219August 6, 2016 1:13 PM

That high pitched screeching in You Are Luhh (Luhh---cringe!) is annoying. I couldn't get through the whole thing. Prince he ain't. It remains to be seen if he'll produce a masterpiece...not just what passes for a masterpiece in the age of Kardashian.

by Anonymousreply 220August 6, 2016 1:43 PM

Sausage value check on aisle 3!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221August 18, 2016 10:06 AM

How good is Endless? Has anybody listened to it yet?

by Anonymousreply 222August 19, 2016 7:51 AM

Nnhhh

by Anonymousreply 223August 19, 2016 10:04 PM

Album is amazing, --I was starting to have my doubts with the endlessEndless debacle -- but, no, amazing,amazing, in fact era defining. Don't believe me? See for yourself. We should feel proud to have him there representing us whether that's his intention or not I'm sure he's representing himself. But above all he's representing cultural excellence and the best of the old and the new. Open your minds, your heart's already his bitch.

by Anonymousreply 224August 21, 2016 2:59 AM

Oldheads in the thread proved wrong again. Cynical fucks have no conception of aesthetic refinement true beauty

by Anonymousreply 225August 21, 2016 3:06 AM

*AND true beauty

by Anonymousreply 226August 21, 2016 3:08 AM

Currently bumping this masterpiece

by Anonymousreply 227August 21, 2016 4:05 AM

How's the video?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228August 21, 2016 4:12 AM

R224 (or anyone really) what would you suggest a new listener pay the most attention to in his music? This isn't the sort of stuff I listen to so I'm not really having the immediate reaction you are. What would you say the highlight is--lyrics, flow, production, other? I know you probably like it all, but what was it that first caught your ear with him? I actually started to really get into Endless because I like a lot of ambient music and I thought what he was doing was pretty interesting and a few of those tracks were great.

by Anonymousreply 229August 21, 2016 5:56 AM

R229

This order: Jimmy Fallon version of "Bas Religion" (his very first as a solo performer. Simply stunning! Gay heartbreakingly authentically gay minus the maudlin diva melodrama )

Swim good (first album; mixtape really)

We all try

Pink matter (chills; mystically sublime with a bit of sly postmodern cultural reference humour thrown in such as manga cartoons and Kung fu grunts -- in general he's amazing at mixing genuine emotion and sly wit and wordplay and making it work as sincere)

Novacane (upbeat but not really; noirish and paranoid with Kubrick references and sexual dysfunction--his acknowledging being numb to women)

Thinking bout you (Seemingly Gossamer light pop but actually keening criers de cor utilising war technology..fighter jets LOL)

Pyramids (album version and SLN Version. ) Frank has a habit of having no fixed version and some live versions are different and better than on record)

Wiseman

Lost Sweet life .. By then you'll love all of them (don't skip Nostalgia Ultra -- especially not the interpolations and rstraight up cheeky assed iconoclastic sacrilege even up to refurbishing Hotel California ..and miraculously making it work !!! Stay to the end of that track for a sublime evernescent coda. Oh and on humour and iconoclasm the sneaky mother fucker genius actually redid carpenters Close To You on this album!!!! Again worked)

I'm blearily eyed and sleep deprived and cried out like a baby due to this album so can't think clearly to give any others and forgive any and all incoherence LOTS of incoherence. But also unexpected clarity

by Anonymousreply 230August 21, 2016 7:02 AM

I really believe he's the poet laureate of pop. Or Langston Hugh'es of r'n'B or ..alt r n b....or indie something or other beyond categorisation ..or bluegrass

by Anonymousreply 231August 21, 2016 7:09 AM

This upgrades his seat to Superstar future legend level. Watch.

by Anonymousreply 232August 21, 2016 7:12 AM

Oh shit man that orchestration! Johnny fucking Greenwood. Take a muthafukin bow. Wasted in Radiohead and Hollywood film scoring LOL

by Anonymousreply 233August 21, 2016 7:16 AM

How has Johnny Greenwood been wasted in Radiohead and film scoring? Stupid comment righ there.

by Anonymousreply 234August 21, 2016 7:19 AM

I've grown to love a few of those Endless (fragments and a couple of seemingly complete ) songs and now he's changed the whole lyrics and theme and yet I love the new version too!!! Da fuk

by Anonymousreply 235August 21, 2016 7:20 AM

Being playfully ironic r234

by Anonymousreply 236August 21, 2016 7:22 AM

Yeah all fine and well but where's the Novel bruh?

by Anonymousreply 237August 21, 2016 7:26 AM

Seen some uploaded booklet scans with tBowie credited as collaborating. Anyone confirm that and in what capacity? Or is it more as a tutelary spirit kind of way?

by Anonymousreply 238August 21, 2016 7:31 AM

Whoa R230 I was not expecting a list like that, but I will definitely work my way through it! I get really excited about music, so when I see it in others I like to dig in, even if it's not familiar. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 239August 21, 2016 7:32 AM

Anyone else heard the album besides superfan upstairs? What are your thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 240August 21, 2016 7:36 AM

Guys. Sorry, I'm gonna be dumb and just ask it. Where are you all hearing the album? Apple Music? Or is it available somewhere else now?

by Anonymousreply 241August 21, 2016 7:38 AM

The new albums are shit, Nikes is embrassingly bad, like a novelty record. Pretentious lowbrow urban hipster shithuggers dig it, so that should really tell you everything you need to know.

by Anonymousreply 242August 21, 2016 8:02 AM

Nikes is not representative of the album and indeed the album version of Nikes is a far more staid affair.; sadly, as someone who appreciates a gangsta rapper chihuahua as much as the next 40 yr old.

It's a post modern HUMOUROUS and yet ultimately paradoxically VERY poignant gay artists (in every sense ) take on a hyper current black urban youth club banger

by Anonymousreply 243August 21, 2016 8:39 AM

R243 - what's Nikes about? I'm not being facetious. I'm asking. I liked it, but have absolutely no clue what, lyrically, the song is about.

by Anonymousreply 244August 21, 2016 8:44 AM

Mashable has the headline of "Don't freak out" but his album is finally here. Right...like majority of people even remembered he existed.

by Anonymousreply 245August 21, 2016 8:45 AM

Edit : gay black artist take on a hyper-current hyper-masculine black urban youth club banger

And it's fucking beautiful. Y'know aesthetics. Read some Kant, cunt

by Anonymousreply 246August 21, 2016 8:46 AM

244 heavens gate cult .. Seriously. Amongst other things. Multi layered like art should be Hint: rap genius lyric site parses it line by line.

Oh and consumerism. These bitches want Nikes ,they looking for a check.

Ba boom; ttish

by Anonymousreply 247August 21, 2016 8:52 AM

R244 Heavens gate cult mass suicide were required to wear a certain type of Nikes and corpses covered in purple ..cloth shown in video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248August 21, 2016 8:56 AM

R245 - sorry, Gramps, although I totally get how annoying the hype is, for this one, it's real. "It" being the anticipation. I haven't listened to the album yet to comment on the quality of the actual product. But to suggest that no one even remembers Frank Ocean is to be incredibly out of touch with popular culture. It's been the most anticipated forthcoming album for two solid years. You don't have to take my word for it. Just look up the hundreds upon hundreds of articles and blog posts written every single time a tiny hint of the album came out - a random one-off single, even a mention of Frank Ocean by another artist (like Adele talking about how thirsty she was for a new Frank Ocean album on the Tonight Show) and on and on. Yeah, it's a bit over the top, but to suggest that he's some flop that everyone's forgotten about is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 249August 21, 2016 8:57 AM

* shown in video

by Anonymousreply 250August 21, 2016 8:57 AM

As much as I like Frank, something about a hugely successful, very wealthy singer-songwriter-producer writing an anti-materialism song rubs me the wrong way. They always write about how it's 'not about' money or fame AFTER they've amassed plenty of both.

by Anonymousreply 251August 21, 2016 8:58 AM

[quote]Mashable has the headline of "Don't freak out" but his album is finally here. Right...like majority of people even remembered he existed.

Lots of people remembered he existed but the idea that his album was *ever* coming out was a joke to many on the internet. I'm not a fan of his but I've seen those comments flying left and right everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 252August 21, 2016 8:59 AM

and I bet it won't lead to anything r252. People can joke and comment but it don't mean they will buy.

by Anonymousreply 253August 21, 2016 9:02 AM

I would not say Frank's forgotten, or a flop, but the truth is life goes on. What I mean is you can't play that "I'm hiding, I'm a shy talented genious" game in this era, because everyone else's noise will down you out. Besides, the truth is he was wildly over-hyped to begin with. His Grammy performance with that keyboard was beyond underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 254August 21, 2016 9:07 AM

R254 - yeah his Grammys performance was terrible. He's a mixed bag live. Sometimes, he pulls it off and gives a stunning performance, but in the same concert he can give you many duds. I think he's a much stronger studio artist than he is live performer.

by Anonymousreply 255August 21, 2016 9:09 AM

R252,

[quote] and I bet it won't lead to anything [R252]. People can joke and comment but it don't mean they will buy.

Agreed. Honestly.

He waited this long to release an album and ran right smack dab into a leak of Britney Spear's album Glory. (Which is probably her best since Blackout. I don't know what Britney Jean or her other albums were trying to do but it actually seems like her team gave a shit with this one.)

The gays were focusing on other things today.

by Anonymousreply 256August 21, 2016 9:11 AM

I'm still blown away by r240's amazing signature .

by Anonymousreply 257August 21, 2016 9:12 AM

R242

Seriously I get it. Sometimes you just don't fuck with an artists work. Even one you hitherto did fuck with. Case in point I love Radiohead but the last album was such a down for me that I never replayed (partly cause once you go Blake (James) you ain't ever going ..etc) it felt middle aged and depressing like egg timer sand running out scary depressing. And I say this as a now officially middle aged guy.

I hope you will go listen to it with your mind and heart (yeah that silly word) open. Don't BS me with the hipsters line. If you know anything about hipsters they are fickle as fuck and contrary as two crosswise cunts and hate what everyone else loves. Oh wait. Tell me my dude how's that beard going ;)

by Anonymousreply 258August 21, 2016 9:21 AM

Britney Jean. Spears ...In a serious music thread ! Only on Datalounge

by Anonymousreply 259August 21, 2016 9:29 AM

R249, thank you. Frank Ocean actually trended for hours on Twitter after the Endless release, and this was during the Olympics, he STILL managed to get all the buzz. That says something. It's ridiculous to say people don't remember him.. WTF?! His new album was highly anticipated and fans have been waiting for new music from him for ages now!

by Anonymousreply 260August 21, 2016 9:30 AM

Most if not all hipster are 30 something, it's a 00 generation of music. I'm 19 and don't give a shit about hipster music, the truth is it is my parents music. They love all that hipster shit like Sufjan and Kanye and Drake and Beyoncé and shit. Even though like I have a slightly affectionate vibe to it, it's what my mom and dad played in car when I was kid and it has good memories for me, but it doesn't do anything to my blood.

Right now I'm listening to a lot of vintage 4AD shit, really Heaven or Las Vegas is pretty much all I'm listening to right now, But yeah, you know whatever, people like what they like.

by Anonymousreply 261August 21, 2016 9:31 AM

[quote] Oh and consumerism. These bitches want Nikes ,they looking for a check.

Wait a second. He writes a song criticizing consumerism!? Wow, that's awesome. I assume he's giving the album away for free, then? Thank God he isn't selling it exclusively through iTunes, as that would be super hypocritical!

by Anonymousreply 262August 21, 2016 9:35 AM

Every body think they cool or ironic or anti or hip or dark or new when they 19. non conforming is how you conform at any age. Hipsters are non conforming too in their minds. Those beards are itchy and the coffee tastes bitter man. Its work to be stay thin AND in bad shape. Old people spit on the street and eat pie for breakfast. Your mommy and daddy have a rebellion to their conforming too, no doubt. They are robbing as many people as they can while they can. Who don't want to hear some Beyonce in the Carpool lane? Beyonce is some universal goddess or the one we all are secretly working for, nobody knows. Britney Spears is as important as anyone else mentioned here. What do you call Frank Ocean fans was a twitter question this day. "Disappointed" seems to be the consensus, from Capetown to Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 263August 21, 2016 9:45 AM

People need to realise dude is going Beyoncé level ..or has the ability to do so IF HE WANTS IT **IF** ...maybe prince, MJ level for this generation ...and what's more he's synthesising TRUE avandgarde and art and popular song in a way that GAGA foolishly laughably pretended she could. He's the real deal..and intellectualism , unsurpassed story telling He'll be one of THIS decades pop triumvirate (or the 4 equivalent , I forget.. Fucking no sleep. ) ..but he'll be much more and go on...while your divas asses droop and our replaced by fresher asses. And most of all hell do it as a BLACK OPENLY *GAY * man. Think on that Think on it some more. Again because he the real deal. And once again only if he wants it. I'm not sure he does tho.

by Anonymousreply 264August 21, 2016 9:46 AM

*I'll have you know spelling it ".avandgarde" Is the vey mark of the truly avantguarde

by Anonymousreply 265August 21, 2016 9:52 AM

R262 citation needed for "criticising "

Art and poetry is about complexity. Good art is anyway.

You're so reductive

by Anonymousreply 266August 21, 2016 9:57 AM

I think Frank's sensational, but to suggest he's going to he's going to even approach MJ or, frankly, even Beyonce levels of stardom, ubiquity and cultural relevance is just ridiculous. For one thing, in an age of such media fragmentation, it's virtually impossible for anyone to be as dominant as MJ was at the height of his success. There are very few albums released these days that "everyone" is collectively experiencing and losing their shit over. We just have far fewer communal experiences - we're far more niche now.

Why the hyperbole, anyway, he's going to sell a ton of this album, receive heaps of critical praise and probably win some Grammys next year. I'm sure he's fine with that level of success. No need for world domination ala Bey.

by Anonymousreply 267August 21, 2016 10:15 AM

The song/video isn't even on youtube, just "reaction" videos to it. Art for the masses, controlled by The Man at Apple, lol.

by Anonymousreply 268August 21, 2016 10:30 AM

Frank is like Kanye and Bey, he bridges the world between hipsters and commercial mainstream. But hipsters are now the mainstream. Frank is part of the mainstream and his music reflects that, it is commercially viable, easy music for the masses, but it is also pretentious enough for the hipster mainstream to think they are above the commercial mass market.

by Anonymousreply 269August 21, 2016 10:31 AM

r260, I hope you understand how Twitter and Facebook now have professionals dedicated to having their clients name in Trending positions. Just because a person has 10million followers, that also doesn't mean they are all real people too.

I can't believe people haven't figured this out.

by Anonymousreply 270August 21, 2016 11:11 AM

Since when has this crap become some sort of hero?

by Anonymousreply 271August 21, 2016 11:14 AM

[quote]Frank is like Kanye and Bey, he bridges the world between hipsters and commercial mainstream.

Except most people know who Kanye and Beyonce are and can even name at least one song by each. Not so with ol' Frank, sadly. If he puts out a hit single or two, then he might be in a position to claim to be some kind of bridge to mainstream commercial success, but until then he's a hipster artist who got a lot of press after he came out of the closet. He has a solid fanbase, I guess, and the media give him a great deal of coverage because the kind of white middle class squares who write for the music press think he's cool, but beyond that...

by Anonymousreply 272August 21, 2016 11:17 AM

But people he's ours. Fucking OPENLY gay And the young guys are not threatened they love him..they endlessly meme about going gay for him if he drops the album. That's big. And not entirely or mainly his doing. It's a sign of the times (in the west!) But come the times comes the man or something I can't recall. He's cool. No two ways about it. Call that hipster shit but it's not it goes far beyond that narrow white middle class niche. He's talented. VERY super talented. And cool. But for genuine merit. Don't underestimate that. And OUT.

We made it.

by Anonymousreply 273August 21, 2016 11:19 AM

Addendum to r273

And that's why Frank Ocean is the most culturally relevant and widely espected LGBT artist around today

by Anonymousreply 274August 21, 2016 11:26 AM

Put some especk on Franks name

by Anonymousreply 275August 21, 2016 11:29 AM

R274 yup a circle of life like an ocean flow

by Anonymousreply 276August 21, 2016 11:32 AM

Since when is Frank openly GAY? I thought he was openly BI.

by Anonymousreply 277August 21, 2016 11:52 AM

It's looking increasingly just gay, reading around the recent comments and writing/lyrics. Even the tiny minority of hold outs on Reddit and Ktt are coming round to the fact it wasn't just "he got feelings for his bro but he was confused and it's not like they had se or anything. He's straight" to accepting he's bi and defiantly defending it while the former bi-believers are calling "gay". I was betting on bi. Better for career if nothing else. But he ain't said the word or the other one but he's been as explicit as he could be without letting us exams his ..nvm..and we can't rexpect more if it's just not his aesthetic or whatever

by Anonymousreply 278August 21, 2016 12:38 PM

Anyone here cop the his 360 page magazine I wanna know what his screenplay is like. Has his photography which I know is good from his insta days but he's been influenced the anti I-style style of trash like Wolfgang Tillmans and that brutalist and brutally dull aesthetic

Oh and it include a poem by Kanye "the McDonald's man" I think , ice already erased it from consciousness mid sentence. . How did we ever live..

by Anonymousreply 279August 21, 2016 1:00 PM

His three fans on here are all heated up. He's this generation's Tevin Campbell.

by Anonymousreply 280August 21, 2016 2:00 PM

R280 I'm feeling a light 4 for that diss

Meanwhile feast your starved eyes on this classy ass starter to the 17 course banquet laid out for Frank fam while your poverty favs have you flipping famine burger residue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281August 21, 2016 4:46 PM

^Now THAT my friends is how you do a CD case ! Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 282August 21, 2016 4:48 PM

Frank likes his mags like he likes his men -- thick and slippery

by Anonymousreply 283August 21, 2016 4:50 PM

...and BIGGGGGG

by Anonymousreply 284August 21, 2016 4:50 PM

King of the coffee table book crew. All dem honours. All dem honours keep rolling in

by Anonymousreply 285August 21, 2016 4:56 PM

R280 But that would mean his music is good and he has a good voice.

by Anonymousreply 286August 21, 2016 5:19 PM

Confirmed Tevin Campbell fan at r286 meaning. there's still plenty of space on those no book having bookshelves and no art other than velvet Matadors having walls for Miss Tevins vast opus of masterworks. Or some one similar. Always endlessly someone similar. You people are poverty personified in mind and spirit.

by Anonymousreply 287August 21, 2016 5:55 PM

Cultural elitism is not a bad thing people. In fact it's vital. for a Civilisation worth its name.

by Anonymousreply 288August 21, 2016 5:59 PM

[quote]Cultural elitism is not a bad thing people. In fact it's vital. for a Civilisation worth its name.

How so?

by Anonymousreply 289August 21, 2016 6:02 PM

How not so?

by Anonymousreply 290August 21, 2016 6:43 PM

He's got one of those weirdly variably-attractive faces but when he looks fine he looks foine!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291August 21, 2016 6:46 PM

The album is absolute garbage, the hipsters will love it.

by Anonymousreply 292August 21, 2016 7:03 PM

r268 says it all. If it is anti-consumerism he is preaching, Im puzzled as to why he has released this exclusively through the icon of American consumerism, Apple? Gurl bye!

by Anonymousreply 293August 21, 2016 7:07 PM

R293 makes a valid point.

I'll support his anti consumerism message and wait till it drops on Spotify. I'm going to eventually hear Frank's latest but I'm not paying extra for it. This is probably because I'm old and have lots of patience.

It looks like Blonde is #1 on itunes album chart so someone is buying it. Ironically the song from Channel Orange, Thinkin bout you is the only single I see charting on the itunes 200 singles chart. Still he got maximum publicity and buzz out of this so well done for him.

by Anonymousreply 294August 21, 2016 7:17 PM

[quote] Most if not all hipster are 30 something, it's a 00 generation of music. I'm 19 and don't give a shit about hipster music, the truth is it is my parents music.

Hipsters have been around for generations, it's just the styles and music that changes. And being a 19 year old listening to "vintage 4ad shit" in 2016 is exactly how it starts, though proper elder hipsters would roll their eyes at Heaven or Las Vegas being your favorite.

by Anonymousreply 295August 21, 2016 7:21 PM

BUT no one here said he was *criticising* consumerism any more than Warhol or Jeff Koons so fuck your straw man. He has a magazine glorifying super cars of which he personally and conspicuously luxuriates in. Fucking hell. I can't with the plebs tonight.

by Anonymousreply 296August 21, 2016 7:23 PM

I want the physical. But I want to help it chart. But I don't want to pay twice. And I'm on the Apple Music 3 month trial period. And I'm holding out for bonus tracks.

by Anonymousreply 297August 21, 2016 7:27 PM

Frank is a massive label queen, lustre brand ligger, and notoriously a designer groupie. He fux for tux..ask Tisci when his mouth his free of Kanye

by Anonymousreply 298August 21, 2016 7:33 PM

*luxory brand ligger

by Anonymousreply 299August 21, 2016 7:34 PM

*luxury damn AC

by Anonymousreply 300August 21, 2016 7:36 PM

I was wondering if the lover on the album is about Tisci

by Anonymousreply 301August 21, 2016 7:39 PM

I really wanted one of those magazines but I'd be tempted like these other guys not to open it and leave it sealed and I don't want to be that guy. I bet there are still Madonna Sex even now insured against nuclear attack in their protective Mylar and inside the face and tits rapidly grow younger and firmer like a Dorian Grey portrait in reverse.

by Anonymousreply 302August 21, 2016 7:46 PM

[quote] Some embarassingly out-of-touch, culturally benighted old farts gonna be looking pretty damn stupid imminently

And by then you will be one of those old farts yourself.

by Anonymousreply 303August 21, 2016 7:55 PM

[quote] I really wanted one of those magazines but I'd be tempted like these other guys not to open it and leave it sealed and I don't want to be that guy.

It's already all over ebay with prices up to $1,000. Madness! I wonder if anyone will ever open a copy of it. Can what's inside be more valuable than the resale value? Anyway, maybe a pdf will show up somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 304August 21, 2016 8:02 PM

The new album is shit.

by Anonymousreply 305August 23, 2016 1:18 AM

Frank Ocean's 'Blonde' Set for Third-Biggest Debut of 2016

Per Billboard.

Frank Ocean is already on his way to his first No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 chart with Blonde, and now industry forecasters say it will do so with the third-largest debut of 2016.

Sources suggest Blonde may start with around 275,000 equivalent album units earned in the week ending Aug. 25. In terms of opening weeks in 2016, that would stand behind only the arrivals of Drake’s Views (1.04 million units) and Beyonce’s Lemonade (653,000).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306August 26, 2016 2:19 AM

Nice

by Anonymousreply 307August 26, 2016 2:37 AM

Nice! Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 308August 26, 2016 2:46 AM

It moved 278k copies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309August 27, 2016 4:48 PM

I was about 14 or 15 when the whole Brit pop scene was huge and every music journalist was hyping all the Brit-pop bands like the sun shone out of their holes and no one else every made music as great as this. Now almost 20 years you look back at those bands and the praise they received and you think, Really? And in time bands who flew under the radar and received hardly any attention the music press re now cited as the bands who made the best music of the 90s.

To me the likes of Frank Ocean, Bon Iver, Kayne West, Drake and Sufjan Stevens are the Brit Pop bands of today, hyped up to a ridiculous amount, but when I hear that music I know in 10 or 15 years time when the happening bands and trends have happened, people will be like, Really? I mean really?

by Anonymousreply 310August 27, 2016 5:21 PM

Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat PORN PORN PORN PORN PORN PORN Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat PORN PORN PORN PORN PORN PORN Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat

by Anonymousreply 311August 27, 2016 10:13 PM

Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat PORN PORN PORN PORN PORN PORN Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat PORN PORN PORN PORN PORN PORN Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat scat Israel scat Israel scat Israel scat

by Anonymousreply 312August 27, 2016 10:14 PM

by Anonymousreply 313August 27, 2016 10:14 PM

by Anonymousreply 314August 27, 2016 10:14 PM

So who's his boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 315September 7, 2016 3:16 AM

Considering he's a snow queen, probably some AWG.

by Anonymousreply 316September 7, 2016 4:13 AM

Looking so hot here and remarkably comfortably around that carnivorously carnivalesque cringe queen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317September 14, 2016 7:43 AM

^ *remarkably comfortable (or relatively so considering..)

by Anonymousreply 318September 14, 2016 7:48 AM

I think we've possibly --just possibly -- got a future contender for Frank's throne. Some gossip is saying bi some saying straight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319September 23, 2016 6:50 AM

Kevin Abstract :

old friend from high school hmu and told me he liked 'empty' and i told him 'thanks, i used to have a crush oh u' glad thats out the way 1 day ago - Twitter

by Anonymousreply 320September 23, 2016 6:53 AM

He's definitely biting off Frank's style to a degree but I ain't mad. Steal from the best I say. I love that he directed this video and that's it's already getting so much critical buzz. The single is out Friday I hope y'all will stream it and get the numbers up. This is sooo fucking positive for the culture.

by Anonymousreply 321September 23, 2016 6:58 AM

Kevin i(sans crazy hair colour) is so much more fuckable than Frank. I only ever want to cheer up,, cuddle and protect Frank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322September 23, 2016 7:07 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323September 23, 2016 7:10 AM

I would

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324September 23, 2016 7:12 AM

Only 20. So much potential

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325September 23, 2016 7:15 AM

Oh and Kevin's got the same management that Frank once had, and some of the same creative team.

by Anonymousreply 326September 23, 2016 7:19 AM

R95 You prefer Freddie to downgrade his profile by coming out, over making homoerotic songs and performances a BIG part of millions of kids, teens and adults' lives?

Infiltration, do you dig?

by Anonymousreply 327September 23, 2016 7:26 AM

R327 No I think he played it superbly well with a nod and a wink to those in the know -- surprisingly fewer than in number than hindsight paints -- but after a certain point post/AIDS that coyness was indefensible and iwas solely a multi millionair protecting his potential to make further million particularly in the U.S. He could've been a bigger game changer while alive But hey he was an artist not an activist.

by Anonymousreply 328September 23, 2016 7:50 AM

Kevin Abstract is a perfect blend both musically aesthetically and even -- uncannily -- physically of Frank Ocean + Donald Glover AKA Childish Gambino. And yet somehow he's able to be make it work and be more than a hybrid clone because he has that extra "it" factor or relevancy potential that's garnering buzz even this early.

by Anonymousreply 329September 23, 2016 8:12 AM

LOL I hope this is fake it would be tragic if not ..Frank's mini me..but oh well he was only 17 or 18. And he's a massive Frank fan even queuing up for the mag -- whic clears up that rumours I read about Frank being his boyfriend ...unless Frank is *that* stingy. (Although in an interview of a year or two back Kevin said he was in a long distance relationship...(London?????) so there's that! lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330September 23, 2016 8:27 AM

Kaytranada has also come out as homosexual/queer. He's amazing and very popular. Kevin Abstract is great too.

by Anonymousreply 331September 23, 2016 9:31 AM

R331 Wow. Fuck. I had no idea! I've slept on that dude after quickly dismissing one track Imma give it more exploration. What with this and queer is straight guys like Young Thug Yachty the culture has changed for damn sure and in no small part due to Frank. If only the likes of Luthor and Billy Preston could have lived to see this

by Anonymousreply 332September 23, 2016 10:08 AM

*queerish straight guys (or "straight" ? )

by Anonymousreply 333September 23, 2016 10:11 AM

I was here first, bitches !

by Anonymousreply 334September 23, 2016 10:12 AM

Not to be a party pooper, but I thought the video was WAY more interesting than the song. He may have a somewhat similar style to Frank, but I don't think he's at Frank's level of songcraft and production. Judging by this song at least.

Also, what's with the "rumored to be bi/gay" stuff? He's getting blown by a high school football player in his self-directed video. As far as we've come, there's no way a straight artist is going to do that.

Oh, and, the video's dedicated "in loving memory of Summer LaBeouf. Any idea who Summer LaBeouf is? Here's his Twitter account. With lots of pictures of Kevin Abstract and he's still tweeting as of a few hours ago, so I assume that he's still alive...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335September 23, 2016 10:15 AM

Oh shiiiiit! I just found out through that Kaytranada wiki that MNEK is gay..holy shit..I had my strong suspicions a couple of years ago from a few of his covers on soundcloud inc George Michael! Fuck we got all the talents. Now if only Sampha could be persuaded to be gay lol

by Anonymousreply 336September 23, 2016 10:19 AM

R333 The times have changed look at Young thug in his skirts and calling his homie his boyfriends. These times are as much about trolling as anything an a game of homochicken is in line with that

by Anonymousreply 337September 23, 2016 10:22 AM

Yeah of course Frank is in another league but he's got 8 yrs on this guy a more useful comparison is Frank's Lonny Breaux stuff a lot of which is absolute shit despite what blinkered stans say (and I'm a stan myself). Kevin's first album is kinda objectively bad as is his singing but he was 17 or 18 and it sounds cheap. If this is representative of his album he's really onto something. This track is good but not profound in a forest Gump way. Lol Poor guy is can't escape the comparisons.

by Anonymousreply 338September 23, 2016 10:29 AM

People check out MNEK. Nothing deep and profound he's saying but his vocals and pop sensibilities are off the fucking chart.

by Anonymousreply 339September 23, 2016 10:31 AM

MNEK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340September 23, 2016 10:37 AM

I think MNEK's client-list as a songwriter and producer was pretty telling... Madonna, Kylie Minogue, Clean Bandit, JoJo etc.

by Anonymousreply 341September 23, 2016 10:38 AM

R341 Yet but similar could be said about Ne-Yo ....oh wait

by Anonymousreply 342September 23, 2016 10:46 AM

This thread remains valid only as long as Craig David remains heterosexual

by Anonymousreply 343September 23, 2016 11:24 AM

Craig David. Damn, there's a name I haven't heard since I was a college freshman.

by Anonymousreply 344September 23, 2016 11:27 AM

Apparently he's on the rise again

by Anonymousreply 345September 23, 2016 11:37 AM

Craig David's comeback album is due on the 30th and is co produced with Kaytranada who is also a featured artist. MNEK has writing credits....as does Bieber who cites David as reason he got into the biz ...and also why Craig David deserves to be tried as a war criminal

by Anonymousreply 346September 23, 2016 11:54 AM

Hobbity gay Woodkid has produced Mykii Blanco's (gay or trans, black or Jew, rapper or metal???? -- throw a six to start ) first album (unbelievably) is out imminently. But I think post-gaga flop era whose got time for oh-so-edgy avant-garde genderfuck pretentiousness. Not when It's in every other bathroom apparently. Leave that shit to the new breed of gangsta rappers

by Anonymousreply 347September 23, 2016 12:06 PM

*and It is out imminently

by Anonymousreply 348September 23, 2016 12:08 PM

WTF Craig David looks like shit..tragically so

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349September 23, 2016 12:17 PM

Mykki Blanco debut album is out

by Anonymousreply 350September 23, 2016 12:20 PM

Wasn't feeling that Mykki Blanco album one bit...certainly not as catchy as his HIV

by Anonymousreply 351September 23, 2016 9:08 PM

Frank is no longer the coolest after that world champion skater dude with the uber masc voice came out as gay :(

by Anonymousreply 352September 30, 2016 12:11 PM

Who's his bf now?

by Anonymousreply 353November 12, 2016 11:42 PM

Interesting interview. It seems like he is better suited to be just a producer, behind the scenes. He obviously enjoys having money, but being famous and dealing with business seem to stress him out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354November 18, 2016 8:50 AM

Slide, with Calvin Harris and Migos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355March 4, 2017 8:26 PM

Hot Joint

by Anonymousreply 356March 4, 2017 10:26 PM

Great song

by Anonymousreply 357April 2, 2017 4:24 PM

I'm sorry, but that song is a blatant rip off of John Cage

by Anonymousreply 358April 2, 2017 7:57 PM

Tired snow queen. Next!

by Anonymousreply 359April 2, 2017 8:44 PM

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 360April 2, 2017 8:54 PM

Boss

by Anonymousreply 361May 4, 2017 2:01 PM

true to frank ocean, asap rocky dropped two versions of his single "raf" featuring lil uzi, quavo, and frank himself

by Anonymousreply 362May 20, 2017 8:42 PM

RAF.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363May 20, 2017 8:47 PM

Lil Yachty x Frank Ocean

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364May 20, 2017 8:59 PM

Hipsters love Frank

by Anonymousreply 365May 21, 2017 4:13 AM

Pink

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366June 3, 2017 5:11 PM

Frank with Lupa Sabbat and Kendall Jenner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367June 3, 2017 6:48 PM

Luka Sabbat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368June 3, 2017 7:25 PM

Finger

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369June 23, 2017 4:03 PM

Hot guy

by Anonymousreply 370June 23, 2017 4:19 PM

Sexy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371July 22, 2017 6:02 PM

Cute

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372July 22, 2017 6:14 PM

Frank Ocean singing 'Nikes' tonight at FYF Fest while @asvpxrocky watched 😭

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373July 23, 2017 1:10 PM

Brad Pitt at Frank Ocean concert last night

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374July 23, 2017 1:21 PM

Last night, Frank Ocean headlined FYF 2017 in Los Angeles. At one point, while Ocean sang the soul classic “Never Can Say Goodbye,” Brad Pitt appeared on stage. As Ocean performed, Pitt gave a subdued performance of his own, seemingly talking on a phone as his image appeared on the stage’s giant screens. Watch it happen below. In a recent interview with GQ Style, Pitt revealed that Ocean’s music has been part of his listening rotation. “I've been listening to a lot of Frank Ocean,” he said. “I find this young man so special. Talk about getting to the raw truth. He's painfully honest. He's very, very special. I can't find a bad one.”

by Anonymousreply 375July 23, 2017 1:28 PM

He is boss

by Anonymousreply 376July 23, 2017 3:02 PM

last night

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377July 23, 2017 3:07 PM

He is so cute and cool

by Anonymousreply 378July 25, 2017 1:04 AM

Watching Frank Ocean Sing 'Close to You' To Brad Pitt Onstage Is Magical

by Anonymousreply 379July 25, 2017 10:56 AM

LOVe how he is just doing his thing without labels

by Anonymousreply 380July 27, 2017 12:29 PM

Boss

by Anonymousreply 381July 28, 2017 2:36 AM

he is very sexy and has swag

by Anonymousreply 382July 28, 2017 3:49 PM

Tshirt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383July 29, 2017 6:20 AM

Frank rules

by Anonymousreply 384July 29, 2017 5:02 PM

[quote]Love the way the gay men and the LGBT trans crowd try to claim a bisexual man when it's convenient

If you fuck 100 men and 1 woman, you're gay.

by Anonymousreply 385July 29, 2017 5:07 PM

Love hot bi and fluid bros

by Anonymousreply 386July 29, 2017 5:09 PM

Hope to meet him

by Anonymousreply 387July 29, 2017 9:34 PM

Frank is 🔥

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388August 4, 2017 6:50 PM

He is the biggest role model for masculine bi and straight dudes. He lives a pretty integrated, mainstream lifestyle and is accepted by largely urban young male fans.

by Anonymousreply 389August 23, 2017 2:14 PM

Frank Ocean was spotted at the fight with his close friend Memo Guzman.

by Anonymousreply 390September 1, 2017 3:33 PM

Great masculine role model

by Anonymousreply 391September 1, 2017 6:49 PM

Sexy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392December 17, 2017 4:54 AM

Great To have masculine black men who love men in the public sphere

by Anonymousreply 393December 17, 2017 11:55 PM

Sexy

by Anonymousreply 394December 27, 2017 1:22 AM

Nice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395December 27, 2017 1:25 AM

The word "artist"in the headline is inappropriate for this thread.

by Anonymousreply 396December 27, 2017 1:28 AM

Shut up, Franzis, jealous bitch R396

by Anonymousreply 397December 27, 2017 1:29 AM

R397 My work is still played and loved almost 200 years after I joined the angels.

My work has two things lost in the modern cacophony— melody and delicacy.

by Anonymousreply 398December 27, 2017 1:33 AM

R396 is an old white effeminate. Clueless.

by Anonymousreply 399December 27, 2017 3:02 PM

Hmmmm

by Anonymousreply 400February 6, 2018 9:34 PM

With his boyfriend Memo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401April 2, 2018 9:19 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402April 2, 2018 9:19 AM

Frank pushing some girls out of the way to get to Memo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403April 2, 2018 9:21 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404April 2, 2018 9:21 AM

Cute, but isn’t Frank a bottom? The bf is so much smaller than him

by Anonymousreply 405April 2, 2018 12:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406April 2, 2018 4:20 PM

Ansel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407April 7, 2018 7:51 PM

Ansel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408April 7, 2018 7:52 PM

Frank's poem 'Boyfriend'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409April 10, 2018 6:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410April 10, 2018 6:44 PM

r410 Cute but also kinda garbage.

by Anonymousreply 411April 10, 2018 6:47 PM

HE Is so hot

by Anonymousreply 412April 10, 2018 10:47 PM

Both Frank and Timothée Chalamet are at Coachella right now, maybe they'll cross paths and Timothée will get a chance to fanboy about it.

by Anonymousreply 413April 14, 2018 8:32 PM

Pics?

by Anonymousreply 414April 14, 2018 9:56 PM

R414 Timothée is there hanging out with Nicki Minaj, Shania Twain, Quavo, French Montana and The Weeknd lol. People have seen Frank there but no pictures yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415April 14, 2018 10:31 PM

[quote]Frank Ocean just casually strolling back and forth in the Artist Compound at Coachella. im cool but not really that cool right now cause he’s my spirit animal

[quote]aiight now that i’ve had some sleep I can admit there was more to the Frank Ocean sighting. the 2nd time he walked by I definitely ran up, touched his arm and said some weird fan shit. Judge me if you want, but its like spotting Tupac riding a Unicorn down Flatbush Ave

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416April 14, 2018 10:31 PM

They’re talking about seeing him right now on the Coachella youtube channel in a backstage live stream thing, he apparently wore a surgical mask.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417April 14, 2018 10:36 PM

Frank at Coachella.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418April 16, 2018 11:24 PM

So cool

by Anonymousreply 419April 17, 2018 12:28 AM

He doesn’t smile often

by Anonymousreply 420April 17, 2018 5:11 PM

Frank Ocean out-hipsters everyone

by Anonymousreply 421April 17, 2018 5:21 PM

I miss the days when he was beefing with Chris Brown. I cannot get into his music, so he needs to be in some drama queen foolishness for me to pay attention. He should date guys publicly too, it would make him more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 422April 17, 2018 6:17 PM

I always go back to this Only You cover, it's so groovy and he changed the lyrics “So I got a woman” to "So I got a new man".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423April 17, 2018 6:20 PM

You couldn't even get into Chanel, R422? It's so good and I always force it on people who say they aren't into Frank's music lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424April 17, 2018 6:26 PM

R422 Yeah Frank is super private about everything so I don't expect any public relationship anytime soon, but he does sing about Memo and even posted a picture of him on his tumblr. His most recent post is of some strange song on youtube with the caption "dunno why this song makes me very happy. it scares memo haha". He's obviously fine with people knowing about him/them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425April 17, 2018 6:31 PM

I always thought Frank would go for guys his age or older, Memo is only 21/22 and they’ve been dating for a while (2+ years)

by Anonymousreply 426April 17, 2018 10:55 PM

What does Memo do for a living?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427April 17, 2018 11:35 PM

R427 He goes to university judging from his instagram stories

by Anonymousreply 428April 17, 2018 11:50 PM

Coachella

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429April 19, 2018 7:08 AM

I wanna see Frank kiss Memo

by Anonymousreply 430April 19, 2018 11:13 AM

Was the boyfriend poem at R410 about Memo?

by Anonymousreply 431April 19, 2018 12:45 PM

I love Frank’s long hair, I hope he doesn’t cut it

by Anonymousreply 432April 19, 2018 12:46 PM

R432 I liked his short blue hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433April 19, 2018 4:03 PM

R432

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434April 19, 2018 4:09 PM

R432 Pink.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435April 19, 2018 4:12 PM

R420 But when he does...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436April 19, 2018 9:31 PM

R420

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437April 19, 2018 9:32 PM

He also had green hair on the Blonde cover, R435

by Anonymousreply 438April 19, 2018 9:46 PM

Frank is definitely my type of man. I don't usually care about models or celebrities but this guy is so cute and hot in a very deep level.

by Anonymousreply 439April 19, 2018 9:53 PM

Frank is hot and intelligent, if he was white DL would be all over him

by Anonymousreply 440April 19, 2018 10:07 PM

He’s hot to death

by Anonymousreply 441April 19, 2018 11:25 PM

r437 those glasses and that smile !! he looks like a hot english teacher

by Anonymousreply 442April 20, 2018 12:31 AM

R438 The green hair was great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443April 20, 2018 8:57 AM

R422 Those were the days, Frank writing this was hilarious.

[quote]frank ocean is not a gangster and does not gangbang. & has no idea how to react to paparazzi, other than to drive away. sorry if i disappointed any fans who thought i was the type to fight in the middle of the streetand shit. also for the record, i never went to anyone’s dance rehearsal looking for anyone. in fact, i didn’t even know you could find gangsters at dance rehearsals. but it’s resolved. all is seemingly well. this isn’t worth escalating any further. just had to put this on my timeline as a memorial of some of the weakest shit i’ve experienced in this business so far. hopefully its really over. jah bless. ***annnd back to scheduled programming

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444April 20, 2018 9:40 AM

Frank and Memo were in Elon Musk’s hyperloop

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445April 28, 2018 3:46 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446April 28, 2018 3:46 PM

OH I didn’t know it is under construction

by Anonymousreply 447April 29, 2018 1:32 PM

Frank and Memo in September 2016.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448April 29, 2018 1:57 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449April 29, 2018 1:57 PM

Young Frank with his mom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450April 30, 2018 5:02 PM

Frank's dad is so embarrassing, what a deadbeat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451May 2, 2018 12:58 PM

Frank better not turn out to be a baby Kanye!

by Anonymousreply 452May 2, 2018 1:02 PM

[quote]throwback to when riccardo tisci (the creative director of givenchy) slept with frank ocean after the met gala then posted these pictures on instagram

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453May 10, 2018 1:18 PM

DOES he have an Instagram account?

by Anonymousreply 454May 11, 2018 4:23 PM

R454 @blonded, but it’s private. He comments on his boyfriend’s posts sometimes as well as his mother and little brother

by Anonymousreply 455May 11, 2018 4:39 PM

[quote]Frank better not turn out to be a baby Kanye!

You rang?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456May 12, 2018 5:44 AM

HEhe

by Anonymousreply 457May 12, 2018 10:15 AM

Frank and his mom in Venice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458May 12, 2018 3:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459May 12, 2018 3:20 PM

Purity, it's so good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 460May 25, 2018 8:09 AM

NIce

by Anonymousreply 461May 25, 2018 1:19 PM

I’m starting to think that everything Frank touches automatically turns into gold R460 is 🔥

by Anonymousreply 462May 25, 2018 2:03 PM

R462 This is true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463May 25, 2018 7:30 PM

A beautiful dude

by Anonymousreply 464May 27, 2018 1:43 AM

His boyfriend being cute on twitter, Christopher + Memo.

[quote]c+m ❤️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465May 27, 2018 11:35 AM

While most of us can recall being asked if we “knew our school books like we knew those songs”, it seems there are even more ways to master a knowledge of both. UC Berkely student Preya Gill tweeted that her school recently approved a proposal for a course based around atl-R&B fave Frank Ocean, aptly titled “Brain Like Berkeley”. Gill, along with fellow second-year student Deborah Chang, started developing the course after being paired up as roommates and quickly bonding over Ocean's music. "When we found out that Berkeley accepts student-taught courses, we immediately saw the potential Frank Ocean’s artistry offers."

The course will reportedly cover the singer's "artistic history, upbringing, background, musical influences, artist identity, and the way he challenges dominant social concepts such as toxic-masculinity and gender politics," Gill and Chang, who will also be instructing the course, told The FADER over email.

"We want to encourage a deep literary exploration of his artistry both in lyrics and through his visuals and live performances. We hope to provide a safe environment where students can discuss his poetry and music with sensitivity, creative respect, and open-mindedness," the pair said.

The world’s most in-depth music podcast is taking on Frank Ocean.

According to Gill's recent tweets, even Ocean's family approves of the upcoming course. "Frank Ocean’s brother Ryan and mother Katonya have expressed their support for our course and even shared the tweet to their accounts," they said.

The women say UC Berkeley students will be able to sign up for the course as of August on the school's website. As for the rest of us? "We will consider live streaming options and posting our course material online to share with the world!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466June 19, 2018 9:12 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 467June 22, 2018 8:56 PM

When should we expect new music from him? Channel Orange was released sex years ago yesterday

by Anonymousreply 468July 11, 2018 5:08 PM

Blonde>Channel Orange though

by Anonymousreply 469July 11, 2018 5:09 PM

[quote]in honor of the 6th anniversary of channel orange here’s frank winning a grammy for it in 2013

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470July 11, 2018 5:11 PM

Shawn Mendes covering Thinkin’ Bout You

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471July 13, 2018 8:01 PM

Frank in soho

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 472July 22, 2018 5:08 PM

Frank Ocean recording his contribution to “911 / Mr. Lonely”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473July 22, 2018 5:11 PM

An early take of Frank’s chorus on “Where This Flower Blooms.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474July 22, 2018 5:12 PM

New hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475July 28, 2018 9:09 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476July 30, 2018 9:43 PM

He’s so reclusive

by Anonymousreply 477July 31, 2018 11:37 AM

R477 It’s simultaneously his best and worst quality lol

by Anonymousreply 478July 31, 2018 9:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 479July 31, 2018 9:25 PM

Tumblr post, next to Divine.

[quote]me&mom 🤩

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480August 1, 2018 8:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 481August 1, 2018 8:15 PM

Dream boyfriend

by Anonymousreply 482August 1, 2018 8:35 PM

Travis Scott - CAROUSEL feat. Frank Ocean

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483August 3, 2018 1:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484August 3, 2018 1:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485August 3, 2018 1:25 PM

Nice

by Anonymousreply 486August 3, 2018 5:30 PM

He says he's bisexual, but when was the last time he had a girlfriend? Every photo I've seen of him in the past several years has been around gay men.

by Anonymousreply 487August 3, 2018 7:35 PM

Most of men he hangs with are not gay

by Anonymousreply 488August 3, 2018 7:44 PM

R487 He’s never said he’s bisexual, apparently he/his team asked wiki to take him off the ‘bisexual singers’ page

by Anonymousreply 489August 3, 2018 7:44 PM

T487 he’s had a boyfriend for three or so years and seems to only have hooked up with guys prior to him

by Anonymousreply 490August 3, 2018 7:45 PM

At a wedding

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491August 6, 2018 7:52 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492August 6, 2018 7:53 AM

His hair is out of control with that color

by Anonymousreply 493August 7, 2018 12:16 AM

R487 / R490 Pretty sure he dated Alycia Bellamy (up until 2015 I think). Didn't really care about him at the time so I don't know the details but it seems to be widely as a fact in his fanbase.

by Anonymousreply 494August 19, 2018 10:59 PM

^ widely accepted as a fact, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 495August 19, 2018 11:01 PM

Frank looking tiny

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 496September 13, 2018 8:59 PM

I don't know him.

by Anonymousreply 497September 13, 2018 9:03 PM

I love frank's music, why he gotta be so mysterious though lol

by Anonymousreply 498September 13, 2018 9:33 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499September 15, 2018 4:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500September 15, 2018 4:12 PM

Still don't know who he is.

by Anonymousreply 501September 15, 2018 4:12 PM

[quote]"the cease and desist wasn't about 🔊 it was about 🏳️‍🌈"

The Amanda Lepore thing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502September 15, 2018 4:12 PM

Frank outside the Apple event on September 13.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503September 15, 2018 4:16 PM

He is so hot

by Anonymousreply 504September 15, 2018 4:18 PM

When will he release something new that isn’t a feature on someone else’s album... I can only play Moon River so much

by Anonymousreply 505September 15, 2018 4:21 PM

R502 Yeah I think it’s about Travis being trans/homophobic. Frank has worked with homophobes in the past though, Migos etc

by Anonymousreply 506September 15, 2018 4:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507September 15, 2018 4:28 PM

He looks more muscled in that pic

by Anonymousreply 508September 15, 2018 4:30 PM

He has a great body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509September 15, 2018 4:31 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510September 15, 2018 4:32 PM

The name confuses me with Billy Ocean. So out of curiosity, I googled to see if Billy is gay and came out. Not quite, the asswipe is an anti-gay fundie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511September 15, 2018 4:33 PM

Shot by Wolfgang Tillmans, who he's hooked up with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512September 15, 2018 4:34 PM

by Michael Mayren.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513September 15, 2018 4:38 PM

Love his stoic demeanor

by Anonymousreply 514September 15, 2018 4:39 PM

Frank is beautiful

by Anonymousreply 515September 15, 2018 5:25 PM

Travis’ response

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516September 15, 2018 6:09 PM

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 517September 16, 2018 1:49 PM

If Frank and Travis already solved it why the cease and desist?

by Anonymousreply 518September 16, 2018 7:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519September 18, 2018 4:05 AM

Cute

by Anonymousreply 520September 19, 2018 3:35 PM

Moon River music video directed by Spike Jonze coming soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521September 27, 2018 8:41 AM

Love Moon River but it was released in February, why is Frank so slow with everything 😩

by Anonymousreply 522September 27, 2018 9:26 AM

I know right, bruh

by Anonymousreply 523September 27, 2018 11:15 AM

He needs to stop this cuoy mess

by Anonymousreply 524September 28, 2018 1:38 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 525September 29, 2018 12:58 PM

I love Frank but he's boring af, he has us all starving, I mean look at this thread it was started in 2016, 2 years later and still isn't filled up, that's how little content we have to even talk about, not musically nor personal. Thankfully I'm also a Tyler fan, and rn it's a good time to be a Tyler fan lol

I just wish Frank didn't take that long to come out with and album or something

by Anonymousreply 526September 29, 2018 1:06 PM

I agree. I’m Bored by his recluse persona.

by Anonymousreply 527September 29, 2018 1:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528October 2, 2018 1:35 PM

Frank's mother, shot by Frank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 529October 3, 2018 3:09 PM

How did a douchey, homophobic thread for gay-bashing reach 529 posts on a pro-gay website?

by Anonymousreply 530October 3, 2018 4:34 PM

time for this recluse to release some new music.... frank is probably the most talented artist alive yet he stays doing nothing lmao

by Anonymousreply 531October 3, 2018 8:02 PM

r529 his mom is so beautiful, their faces are really similar especially when they smile

by Anonymousreply 532October 3, 2018 8:03 PM

His Mom is beautiful

by Anonymousreply 533October 4, 2018 12:15 AM

He's in London.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534October 15, 2018 3:33 PM

Tumblr post

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535October 17, 2018 5:07 PM

Frank is respected, I agree, but culturally relevant he is not. He's a niche act. Just compare his net worth with that of true musical mega stars.

by Anonymousreply 536October 17, 2018 5:18 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537October 17, 2018 7:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538October 20, 2018 8:44 PM

He’s fine

by Anonymousreply 539October 22, 2018 3:17 AM

Happy 31st Frank. IG post from his mom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540October 28, 2018 11:44 AM

Bright. Kind. Gifted. Talented. Loyal. Empathetic. Supportive. Generous. Son. Big brother. Friend. Amazing human being. Gay.

by Anonymousreply 541October 28, 2018 11:45 AM

From his brother’s ig story

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542October 28, 2018 12:07 PM

His Paris Is Burning themed birthday party last year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543October 28, 2018 12:13 PM

Wow

by Anonymousreply 544October 29, 2018 9:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545November 6, 2018 1:27 PM

Blonded radio live right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546November 6, 2018 1:29 PM

Frank can drop a new blonded radio but not new music..? I’m glad he’s encouraging people to vote though, unlike Tyler lol

by Anonymousreply 547November 6, 2018 1:51 PM

Frank saying that he wouldn't mind getting taxed more is a straight-up lie lmao

by Anonymousreply 548November 6, 2018 2:05 PM

R547 well it would be on brand for him

by Anonymousreply 549November 6, 2018 2:06 PM

“A lot more essential listening coming today” hmmm

by Anonymousreply 550November 6, 2018 2:09 PM

If you voted you can get free merch from Frank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551November 6, 2018 3:18 PM

Taco ending his set at CFG with Self Control was beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 552November 12, 2018 7:46 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 553November 12, 2018 7:53 PM

Frank’s boyfriend was at CFG with friends judging from his ig stories this weekend

by Anonymousreply 554November 12, 2018 7:54 PM

Frank finally made his instagram public! So many posts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555November 15, 2018 10:52 PM

[quote]Very gay bookshelf soon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556November 15, 2018 11:12 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557November 15, 2018 11:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558November 15, 2018 11:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559November 15, 2018 11:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 560November 15, 2018 11:15 PM

Cozy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561November 16, 2018 2:35 PM

Frank is a dreamboat

by Anonymousreply 562November 17, 2018 9:30 PM

News lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 563November 18, 2018 6:59 PM

Frank started following this model on IG, he’s cuter than his current boyfriend

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 564November 19, 2018 8:51 PM

Hanging out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565November 23, 2018 1:09 AM

Evan Mock

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566January 5, 2019 2:04 AM

WHO??

by Anonymousreply 567January 5, 2019 2:08 AM

can't wait for new music

by Anonymousreply 568January 5, 2019 7:55 PM

He’s such a boss!

by Anonymousreply 569January 5, 2019 8:05 PM

[quote]FaceTimes in Babushka

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570January 10, 2019 1:59 PM

February issue of GQ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571January 10, 2019 2:01 PM

Article:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 572January 10, 2019 2:01 PM

Dude, no one knows who the hell he is.

by Anonymousreply 573January 10, 2019 2:09 PM

R573 ? Frank Ocean is popular, even my dad listens to him

by Anonymousreply 574January 10, 2019 2:14 PM

R574 Where do you live where you’ve managed to avoid his music?

by Anonymousreply 575January 10, 2019 2:15 PM

You sound old R573

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576January 10, 2019 2:19 PM

Who is his boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 577January 10, 2019 3:01 PM

R573, you really revealed how out of touch and uncool you are, dude.

by Anonymousreply 578January 10, 2019 3:03 PM

This guy R577, they've been together for years now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 579January 10, 2019 3:05 PM

Frank's poem 'Boyfriend'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 580January 10, 2019 3:06 PM

Loved his take on Moon River

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581January 10, 2019 3:16 PM

Boss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582January 11, 2019 5:06 PM

With Timothée Chalamet at the Louis Vuitton show in Paris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 583January 17, 2019 2:57 PM

Sweet

by Anonymousreply 584January 17, 2019 3:22 PM

Bros

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 585January 17, 2019 9:27 PM

He's coming out with a new album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 586January 17, 2019 9:53 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587January 17, 2019 9:57 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588January 19, 2019 11:51 PM

So goodlooking

by Anonymousreply 589January 20, 2019 12:21 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590January 22, 2019 11:28 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591January 23, 2019 3:46 PM

Frank Ocean teased new music with SZA, Kendrick Lamar, and Andre 3000 on his Tumblr. March 1st. 👀

by Anonymousreply 592February 5, 2019 2:31 PM

Kid Cudi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593February 9, 2019 12:35 AM

Sweet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594February 16, 2019 12:19 AM

French

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595March 12, 2019 1:00 PM

Part Two

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596March 12, 2019 1:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!