Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gay Movies

If you could recommend just one gay themed movie: which is it and why?

by Anonymousreply 560December 29, 2020 7:39 PM

'Midnight Cowboy'. Rarely gay movies are that emotional and suggestive. In most gay movies, it is all about sex and stuff, but not in this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2016 4:39 PM

I fucking love "Hawaii". Beautifully filmed with wonderful chemistry between the two handsome and charismatic leads. It's a pastoral romance that deals light-handedly with issues of class. People who only like blow-em up action / comic book movies may find it slow, but the pacing is deliberate and it feels like you're watching the two leads fall in love in real time. The Argentinan director's (martini Berger) "Plan B" is also highly recommended.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2016 4:46 PM

MAURICE. Beautifully done story of a early 20th Century gay man coming to terms with himself. Excellent cast: James Wilby, Hugh Grant, Queen Bitch Supreme Judy Parfitt, Ben Kingsley, and Rupert Graves as Scudder

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2016 5:01 PM

Maurice

Its not just a great gay movie, its a great movie

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2016 5:01 PM

Priscilla Queen of the Desert.

I love that movie.

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2016 5:04 PM

Longtime Companion is depressing, but its the only movie about the AIDS crisis that really got it right.

If you include documentaries, Chris And Don is amazing

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2016 5:04 PM

Maurice suffers from the lack of chemistry between the two leads. Wilby is a dud. It would have been s much better with the beautiful Cary Elwys who had already played gay by that time.

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2016 5:04 PM

At r2, I meant to say Marco Berger

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2016 5:06 PM

Longtime Companion

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2016 5:07 PM

My pick for one single movie would be Ma Vie En Rose. I think a lot of people would look at the description and say it's a "trans" movie, but it's more than a label. it resonates so much with my childhood, and ANY child who's gone against the grain will find it both uncomfortable and incredibly moving. I've never seen anything else that got it so right.

OP, there's an interesting book I have from critic Alonso Duralde. It's called 101 Must See Movies for Gay Men. (Duralde now does What The Flick and Linoleum Knife, and his bear husband is a movie reviewer too.)

Anyway, I thought it was interesting, not just all "oh, here's a list of the movies all the queens quote." He picks some really cool choices that take a look at otherness, some romantic movies, etc.

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2016 5:11 PM

Too difficult to pick one, I have a top 5 though: Brokeback Mountain, A Single Man, Milk, Shelter, Latter Days.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2016 5:27 PM

Beautiful Thing deserves a mention

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2016 5:29 PM

Get Real.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2016 5:30 PM

My Own Private Idaho? I haven't seen it, but it was praised in the River Phoenix thread here.

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2016 5:37 PM

Mean Girls

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2016 5:54 PM

Beautiful Thing.

It's a gay feel-good movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2016 5:59 PM

Weekend

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2016 6:02 PM

This one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2016 6:03 PM

It's My Party. The very end of it is a real tear-jerker.

Yes and No ("Ja und Nein" in its original German). Subtitled flick about a three-way relationship between a married coupe and his male…friend.

Mulligans. Quirky story of a young man and his best friend, who winds up connecting sexually with the friend's dad. Tbey used to show this all the time on Logo, but I think it's available on Netflix.

Brokeback Mountain. (Of course).

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2016 6:11 PM

^^Coupe = couple.

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2016 6:12 PM

The Line of Beauty.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2016 6:16 PM

Between Love and Goodbye

Drama about a relationship ending. Features nice full frontal nudity by the two leads. But I guess a lot of people dismiss it because it's directed by Casper Andreas (Slutty Summer), but personally I like his movies like Going Down in La-La Land and Violet Tendencies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2016 6:18 PM

Weekend

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2016 6:31 PM

What is a week-end?

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2016 8:38 PM

[quote]What is a week-end?

The last song of the Broadway musical "Hamilton."

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2016 8:50 PM

Gay Puree starring Miss Judy Garland and Robert Goulet

by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2016 8:52 PM

Torch Song Trilogy

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2016 9:16 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2016 12:15 AM

Death In Venice encapsulates the gay experience most accurately.

by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2016 12:18 AM

Red Dirt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2016 6:38 AM

I don't feel there's one perfect movie above others. The 4 I wore out as a kid:

Now, Voyager

Priscilla Queen of the Desert

The Boys in the Band

Torch Song Trilogy

by Anonymousreply 31June 21, 2016 7:51 AM

Parting Glances - very sad, but very genuine portrayal of love and friendship between a man and his friend/ex lover who is dying of AIDS.

The scene in which "Michael" tells his friend who is dying that he is the only man he was ever in love with is realistic and heartbreaking.

I haven't seen the movie since the early 90s, but back then I had a serious crush on Richard Ganoung, the actor who played Michael.

by Anonymousreply 32June 21, 2016 8:13 AM

If you want a gay movie without the almost obligatory tragedy, I'd go with SHELTER. I love it although it leaves me ultimately rather depressed. But not because the movie itself is at all depressing.

by Anonymousreply 33June 21, 2016 8:21 AM

r32 here again. This is the scene I was referring to in Parting Glances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 21, 2016 8:32 AM

The Children's Hour

camp value

by Anonymousreply 35June 21, 2016 9:25 AM

this may help your narrow down your choices

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 21, 2016 9:28 AM

actually can count as a vote, too.

*spoilers ahead*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 21, 2016 9:32 AM

Happy Together by Wong Kar-Wai

by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2016 9:44 AM

Velvet Goldmine always has a special place in my heart.

by Anonymousreply 39June 21, 2016 9:48 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2016 5:51 PM

Torch Song Trilogy

by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2016 6:00 PM

Ang Lee's A Wedding Banquet.

by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2016 6:04 PM

Another vote for Get Real (the English movie, not the US TV series).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 21, 2016 6:44 PM

Another vote for Beautiful Thing if it's just one film.

by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2016 6:47 PM

In The Line of Beauty, you get to hear Dan "Downton Abbey" Stevens utter the line, "You just spent all night eating my ass." Plus, I want to swim in that male-only pool they show in the movie. Does that really exist?

by Anonymousreply 45June 21, 2016 7:04 PM

If it's only one I'll also go with 'Weekend'. It bucked the trend of so many gay films of the past 5-10 years. No one dies, there's no struggle with being gay, living happily ever after isn't the ultimate goal, and there's no zany best friend.

by Anonymousreply 46June 21, 2016 7:04 PM

[quote]It bucked the trend of so many gay films of the past 5-10 years. No one dies, there's no struggle with being gay, living happily ever after isn't the ultimate goal, and there's no zany best friend.

Did they at least have anyone who liked theater?

by Anonymousreply 47June 21, 2016 7:09 PM

HAWAII (2013) is a wonderful romance. It's a great film, gay or straight. This review nails it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 21, 2016 7:21 PM

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

by Anonymousreply 49June 21, 2016 7:23 PM

Trick

by Anonymousreply 50June 21, 2016 8:01 PM

Weekend

by Anonymousreply 51June 21, 2016 8:33 PM

Hawaii is fucking boring.

by Anonymousreply 52June 21, 2016 8:53 PM

Film from Argentina, Burnt Money. Two of the handsomest, macho actors ever to appear on screen together, IMO. Smoldering masculine sexuality at its best.

by Anonymousreply 53June 21, 2016 9:13 PM

I pick Maurice because first of all it's such a gorgeous movie and second it was the first gay movie that truly touched me when I was young. I remember losing it when I first saw it and crying for 30 minutes after the credits rolled. Practically everything about it is beautiful. Brokeback has really been the only other gay film that has given me as strong emotional response (and I've seen loads of gay dramas that I've loved). Unfortunately Brokeback is so sad that that I rarely want to watch it. Maurice is bittersweet but it's not all doom and gloom.

R7, total nonsense that there wasn't chemistry between the leads. As usual some people bitch about Wilby but he was P-E-R-F-E-C-T as Maurice. Cary Elwes was pretty to look at but I just can't see him getting anywhere near Wilby's performance, and he would've been way too gorgeous looking to be Maurice.

by Anonymousreply 54June 21, 2016 9:23 PM

The gay-themed movies I can watch over and over again:

Brokeback Mountain

Torch Song Trilogy

It's My Party

The Broken Hearts Club

The Boys in the Band

Milk

Paris is Burning

Chuck and Buck

by Anonymousreply 55June 22, 2016 12:51 AM

Shelter is probably my favorite movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 22, 2016 2:01 AM

Latter Days

by Anonymousreply 57June 22, 2016 2:02 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 58June 22, 2016 5:33 PM

I have tried maybe five times to watch Brokeback Mountain again. I just can't do it.

by Anonymousreply 59June 22, 2016 5:35 PM

Weekend directed by Andrew Haigh starring Tom Cullen and Chris New. Interesting perspective on the internalized shame some of us have about our sex lives and basically just a stunning romantic portrait of the way you can suddenly meet someone who changes your life.

by Anonymousreply 60June 22, 2016 5:39 PM

Four Moons (2014), wonderful Mexican film about 4 stages in the lives of gay men: childhood; coming out; adult relationships; old age. Alternately funny and wistful, filled with beautiful men who often get naked; the scene of the young couple fucking for the first time is one of the most accurate, funny and touching portrayals of that unique moment in our lives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 22, 2016 5:45 PM

[quote] The Broken Hearts Club

Is proof that gay themed movies can be just as dreadful, badly written and shiteous as straight ones.

by Anonymousreply 62June 22, 2016 6:01 PM

r39

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 22, 2016 6:04 PM

Aimee and Jaguar. It's an incredible story. Set in Nazi Germany, it's about two women in fall in love, Felice Schragenheim and Lilly Wust. Felice is a well-educated young Jewish woman using a false name and living "underground", even though she works for a Nazi newspaper. Lilly is a simple hausfrau with a husband in the army and four children, all boys. Lilly was always attracted to women, but never acted on her feelings. After meeting Felice, they begin an affair and the unlikely pair fall in love. Rather than leave Lilly, Felice decides to stay with her, despite the danger of being discovered and sent to a concentration camp. The movie is heartbreaking and it's a TRUE. I recommend it because it's very well done, the actresses who play the lead roles are excellent, the soundtrack is beautiful and it's a real life love story.

by Anonymousreply 64June 22, 2016 6:54 PM

Thank you, r63. That was fun.

by Anonymousreply 65June 23, 2016 10:04 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 66June 25, 2016 8:11 PM

Jean Genet's "Un Chant d'Amour"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 25, 2016 8:39 PM

[quote] I fucking love "Hawaii". Beautifully filmed with wonderful chemistry between the two handsome and charismatic leads.

Plus if you look closely Bette Midler has a small bit as an extra.

by Anonymousreply 68June 25, 2016 9:05 PM

Transamerica:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 25, 2016 9:43 PM

Hawaii is beautiful filmmaking. I would love a sequel like the Richard Linklater movies after Before Sunrise.

by Anonymousreply 70July 3, 2016 3:53 PM

My Beautiful Laundrette.

Great Stephen Frears film. Beautiful and young Daniel Day-Lewis.

by Anonymousreply 71July 3, 2016 4:20 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 72July 9, 2016 6:04 PM

Me too R70. The film is very cinematic and Berger is a natural filmmaker

by Anonymousreply 73July 9, 2016 6:45 PM

R70 I'm linking a teaser trailer for Hawaii that was made when the director was seeking funding (if you haven't seen it). Starts about 1:40 in. Probably the closest we'll get to seeing any more of these two characters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 9, 2016 10:25 PM

I hope this thread hasn't died out yet. I agree with R38; Happy Together is a poetic work of art. I'm also a big admirer of Maurice, which, as R4 mentioned, is not just a great gay film, it's a great film, period.

Some of my other favorites would include O Fantasma, Lonesome Cowboys, I've Heard The Mermaids Singing, Female Trouble, Luster, No Skin Off My Ass, Love Songs (w/ Louis Garrel), Johan (Fr/1976), Saint Laurent,, My Life On Ice, Head On (Greek, Australian/1998), Mala Noche and Show Me Love. That's a baker's dozen choice picks off the top of my head, encompassing a multi-faceted view of gay, lesbian and queer issues, lifestyles, and culture from around the world and across the decades.

If possible, guys, read up on them, and if something sounds cool to you, try seeking it out. There are hundreds of other gay-themed films out there that are just as good and just as unique. Some are obscure and hard to find, but do some digging and try to see something new and different. With all due respect - and I sincerely mean that - there are more movies out there worth seeing than just Weekend, Shelter, Beautiful Thing, Carol, and Brokeback Mountain. I've seen all five of those titles, and they're all good, so don't rag on me, but think outside the box and go for something that's not necessarily all the rage. I hope one or two of the titles I've mentioned will be gratifying for you and your friends ...

by Anonymousreply 75August 6, 2016 12:28 PM

R75 , Some very excellent recommendations there. I've seen most, and you know your movies. If I had to choose just one picture, it's a personal favorite, a British film from the late '80s called Wonderland [UK title, The Fruit Machine], costarring Robbie Coltrane. It's a light film, but entertaining [a romantic thriller], and the sexy lead male. teen does a hot striptease.

by Anonymousreply 76August 6, 2016 7:23 PM

The Raspberry Reich, by Bruce LaBruce. A very sexy and funny satire!

by Anonymousreply 77August 7, 2016 9:08 AM

The Delta (2000). The director, Ira Sachs has a new movie, out in theaters now, called Little Men.

by Anonymousreply 78August 7, 2016 9:41 AM

A crime thriller with a gay theme, about a group of guys (father, sons, boyfriends) stuck together in a remote wooded area; Rites Of Passage (1999), starring Jason Behr, Jaimz Woolvett, Dean Stockwell, James Remar and Robert Keith.

by Anonymousreply 79August 8, 2016 2:20 PM

L'inconnu du lac (Stranger by the Lake)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80August 8, 2016 2:46 PM

[quote]A crime thriller with a gay theme, about a group of guys (father, sons, boyfriends) stuck together in a remote wooded area; Rites Of Passage (1999), starring Jason Behr, Jaimz Woolvett, Dean Stockwell, James Remar and Robert Keith.

I'm sorry, but that movie was fucking awful.

by Anonymousreply 81August 8, 2016 3:25 PM

I second Parting Glances, which I saw quite by chance on a free HBO weekend back in the 80's. It was so current and so edgy and so just - New York - that I've watched it many, many times and always find something I never noticed before. Honorable Mention: Torch Song Trilogy.

As far as lesbian movies go, I don't know why, but I have a thing about the movie Concussion. It takes a practically unbelievable premise (sex-starved half of a happily married Jewish lesbian couple with kids becomes a prostitute for other lesbians) and not only suspends your disbelief, but makes her choice seem logical, honorable, and enlightening all at the same time. I have seen a number of good lesbian movies (I've always liked "Lost and Delirious"), but Concussion just sticks in my mind.

by Anonymousreply 82August 8, 2016 3:57 PM

The Normal Heart was a touching remembrance of the early days of AIDS with graphic sex scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 8, 2016 4:00 PM

R80 Stranger By the Lake is a great movie, a true work of art, but definitely NOT the movie to see for your first gay movie, or the one that would be representative. It'll scare the shit out of you!

Trick is a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 84August 8, 2016 6:34 PM

[italic]Parting Glances[/italic] was a good movie and it's sad Bill Sherwood died before he could make another one.

by Anonymousreply 85August 8, 2016 6:43 PM

For as poor a representation it is of a gay man, I would nominate The Talented Mr. Ripley due to the beauty of the characters (Jude Law at his most handsome) and scenery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86August 8, 2016 6:47 PM

I'd say numbers 2 thru 10 on my personal list have been named already.

MYSTERIOUS SKIN is #1 for me!

by Anonymousreply 87August 8, 2016 6:48 PM

Sorry, must pick 2.

1. Brokeback Mountain. Should be required viewing for gaylings once they reach puberty. If you never become who you are, this is what will happen, kids.

2. Longtime Companion. And while you're at it, use a condom.

by Anonymousreply 88August 8, 2016 7:36 PM

Torch Song Trilogy, A Beautiful Thing

Mysterious Skin is also great, forgot about that one. Relating alien abduction to child molestation. Didn't even see it coming. Fantastic movie. Good acting all round.

What did you think of Storytelling?

by Anonymousreply 89August 8, 2016 7:40 PM

Gay Movies Always Make Me Cry

by Anonymousreply 90August 8, 2016 7:52 PM

Why the fuck are you crying, R90?

by Anonymousreply 91August 8, 2016 7:54 PM

R89 Storytelling was hilarious. Not as good as HAPPINESS of course but very funny.

by Anonymousreply 92August 8, 2016 7:54 PM

La Cage aux Folles

by Anonymousreply 93August 8, 2016 8:08 PM

I also like Reflections in a Golden Eye

by Anonymousreply 94August 8, 2016 8:10 PM

Well what do you know, LT is on youtube.

Watch and you will understand the elder gheys, young'uns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 8, 2016 8:12 PM

Maurice.

by Anonymousreply 96August 8, 2016 8:15 PM

Again, Longtime Companion.

by Anonymousreply 97August 8, 2016 8:35 PM

A Very Natural Thing (1974)

It's supposed to be a gay version of Love Story, but it's a fascinating look at post-Stonewall/pre-AIDS gay life.

by Anonymousreply 98August 8, 2016 8:36 PM

Screw it: Mysterious Skin because it doesn't revolve around HIV, a coming out story, or is about fucking a gay man to have kid.

Mysterious Skin for the win.

by Anonymousreply 99August 9, 2016 1:12 AM

I thought Mysterious Skin was too depressing, but Joseph Gordon-Levitt's performance made it worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 100August 9, 2016 1:28 AM

The French film Les roseaux sauvages (The Wild Reeds) from gay director André Téchiné.

It's not just an excellent "gay" film, but a deeply moving coming of age story (set in southern France during the time of the Algerian War).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 9, 2016 1:36 AM

My Beautiful Laundrette should definitely be seen.

by Anonymousreply 102August 9, 2016 1:47 AM

IMO L'Homme Blesse is the most raw and potent depiction of unrequited, gay idee fixe ever committed to celluloid. The French speaking always do frustrated, all-consuming obsession so well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 9, 2016 2:05 AM

Tom a la Ferme is a very vexing, thwarting and, ultimately, not entirely successful psychological thriller. However,the tense,oblique relationship between the two lead characters, the sexual ambiguity of the handsome, domineering homme fatale and the remote, banally surrealistic rural atmosphere was really compelling to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 9, 2016 2:19 AM

I've already recommended the best gay french film, La Cage Aux Folles.

by Anonymousreply 105August 9, 2016 2:28 AM

Hmmmm... speaking of French films... My French teacher in high school, who I think may have been a closet case, used to insist on playing Wild Reeds for the class right at the end of the semester. This was grade 11, 12 or OAC French. I can't remember which year. But it was the late 90's so it was pretty inappropriately progressive for him to play this during daytime hours for a high school class full of minors--well... minor-ish... in a farming community.

He was Dutch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 9, 2016 2:28 AM

Yeah, I spent French class watching some guy whack off another dude under the sheets. Much more fun than learning the literary tense of conduire.

by Anonymousreply 107August 9, 2016 2:30 AM

Wild Reeds is too progressive for HS students? Where did you go to HS - Missouri?

by Anonymousreply 108August 9, 2016 2:32 AM

Small town in Ontario. Canadians aren't progressive when people aren't looking, I've noticed.

by Anonymousreply 109August 9, 2016 2:36 AM

Our gay publications have pretty much gone the huffpo/advocate route. All of them. It's fucking pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 110August 9, 2016 2:37 AM

OK. My teachers were hippies and showed us anything and everything. Nobody every complained. Suburban NY.

by Anonymousreply 111August 9, 2016 2:37 AM

Lucky bastards.

by Anonymousreply 112August 9, 2016 2:40 AM

Funniest and most accurate comment YET! R25, you've got a friend!

by Anonymousreply 113August 9, 2016 2:47 AM

Top Gun, Tango and Cash, Lethal Weapon, Showdown in Little Tokyo,Midnight Run, Bulletproof and countless other 80s - 90s "straight" buddy pictures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 9, 2016 2:57 AM

"Angels," if you can consider it a six-hour movie. (I saw it last weekend.)

Even the bit parts are startling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 9, 2016 3:23 AM

The French have made some of my favorite gay films, and I concur with R101 (Wild Reeds), R103 (L'Homme Blesse) and R104 (Tom On The Farm ... French-Canadian).

R81 , Rites Of Passage (1999) isn't a great gay film, nor is it in my top 10, but I think it's good and worth a look for anyone who might be wanting to mix things up a bit and try something different. Two brothers (the youngest is gay), their father, and two escaped convicts (one older, the other younger; both gay) are inadvertently thrown together in a cabin deep in the woods where their male bonds, anxieties, obsessions and desires become tangled, throwing them all into a testosterone-fueled tizzy in which they struggle for Alpha male dominance. Hot-house material, to be sure, but the production is first-rate, and the acting by the five male leads is uniformly fine across the board, especially Jason Behr as the gay son, James Remar as the manipulative older convict and Dean Stockwell as the aging, conflicted father ...

Bottles of beer are consumed, tempers flare, cigars are smoked, passions and betrayals are revealed, arm wrestling ensues, macho posturing abounds, guns are waved about, and the air is thick & tense with male sexuality when the older brother finally yells, "Why don't we all just whip 'em out and see who's the biggest!?!"

Now how can you hate a movie like that?

by Anonymousreply 116August 9, 2016 12:23 PM

[quote]Jason Behr as the gay son

Mmmm...

by Anonymousreply 117August 9, 2016 12:35 PM

Shelter is the best. Uplifting film. Whenever I feel I'm past it, i always give it a spin and hope resurfaces.

by Anonymousreply 118August 9, 2016 12:43 PM

R117 , oh yeah, and looking mighty fine, too.

by Anonymousreply 119August 9, 2016 1:52 PM

So, R116, do they whip 'em out, or is it all just talk? Any man on man sex?

by Anonymousreply 120August 9, 2016 9:15 PM

R119 How did Jason Behr not have more of a career, I wonder.

by Anonymousreply 121August 9, 2016 9:17 PM

[quote]Now how can you hate a movie like that?

Because when the only thing appealing to me is how hot Jason Behr is, I can't work up a lot of enthusiasm.

by Anonymousreply 122August 9, 2016 9:40 PM

Wigstock - not really a 'movie' but a fun documentary that has many unusual moments.

A little known movie Soldiers Girl - I saw this about 8 years ago on DVD. It stars Lee Pace as a transsexual and Troy Garity ( Jane Fonda's son) along with some other actors whose names I don't recall. It has a somewhat tragic theme and is rather violent towards the end. I believe it's based on an actual event.

by Anonymousreply 123August 9, 2016 10:31 PM

A ; what's up with your obsessive behavior? You don't have anything to say.

by Anonymousreply 124August 10, 2016 12:00 AM

Big Eden is a little schmaltzy but I love it. It's so domestic and sweet.

by Anonymousreply 125August 10, 2016 12:34 AM

R120 , etc., did you write those lines on ppp? If so, nicely put.

by Anonymousreply 126August 10, 2016 1:22 AM

R120 , whether the "terra..." mention was accidental or intentional, the essence of your point remains the same. a different thread

by Anonymousreply 127August 10, 2016 1:34 AM

[quote]Big Eden is a little schmaltzy but I love it. It's so domestic and sweet.

Yeah, I liked it too, we all need total fantasy escapism from time to time.

However, I found the romance frustrating because I wanted Ayre Gross and Tim DeKay's characters to consummate their love for each other but the bisexual bs got in the way. The two of them had great chemistry

I just didn't sense any romantic magnetism between Gross and Schweig...both the actors AND their characters.

by Anonymousreply 128August 10, 2016 4:35 AM

Luster

by Anonymousreply 129August 10, 2016 4:49 AM

Point Break

by Anonymousreply 130August 10, 2016 4:51 AM

Anon; I agree about salo/ricotta. Do you like Luster, too? Verow?

by Anonymousreply 131August 10, 2016 11:19 AM

Beau Travail, by Claire Denis/1998, is a striking update of Herman Melville's great novella, Billy Budd. Instead of the ocean- bound story, Denis sets the film in the African desert at an outpost for the French Foreign Legion, starring the mesmerizing Denis Lavant as the commander who has an unrequited crush on the Billy Budd character, played by Gregoire Colin.

by Anonymousreply 132August 10, 2016 2:03 PM

Another vote for Hawaii. Adorable leads and it all plays out in a leisurely, gentle fashion. Must also mention Shelter.

by Anonymousreply 133August 10, 2016 3:05 PM

Mmmm skyscraper i love you

by Anonymousreply 134August 10, 2016 5:17 PM

I like the scene in The Dreamers where Michael Pitt is sucking on Eva Green's toes.

by Anonymousreply 135August 10, 2016 5:23 PM

In another Bertolucci movie, Joan Chen has her feet licked & sucked by another female.

by Anonymousreply 136August 10, 2016 5:31 PM

Hawaii and Plan B are both a bit aimless. There is something intriguing about them for sure but for gay movies they are quite vague about the whole gay thing. It's like the writer/director doesn't dare to go all in. It's like these films are prologues to something that would happen later in a real gay film. Nothing wrong with that but when you keep hoping for something to happen you might get exasparated when it's all just men throwing vague glances at each other.

by Anonymousreply 137August 10, 2016 5:37 PM

R137 , Berger's movies seem to center on, explore and heighten the sexual tension between men who are obliquely and subtly being drawn toward each other.

by Anonymousreply 138August 10, 2016 5:47 PM

R138, but he's keeping it all so vague that you can't help but wonder what the hell is going on. It's like Berger just doesn't dare to jump all in and show real gay things, he just enjoys certain vagueness between men. And you know nothing wrong with that but Berger's films are rather light on content so you're mostly left with vague moments with nothing much happening. You have to enjoy the atmosphere in his films to be able to enjoy them.

It does appear his latest film Taekwondo has a group of gay men in the trailer but then again knowing him I wouldn't be so sure.

by Anonymousreply 139August 10, 2016 6:01 PM

R23, I wish there were a day between Saturday and Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 140August 10, 2016 6:14 PM

R139 , I think the vagueness is intentional and he tries to keep that tension sustained in order to prolong the anticipation, which makes the attraction increasingly exciting. Just as it often happens in the real world; it can be frustrating and an almost unbearable experience (in real life) but that usually makes the other guy that much more desirable. A lot of Berger is about atmosphere; the endings are usually resolved in one way or another, but he tends to cut those short because that's not really where his interest is. It's all about the "foreplay".

by Anonymousreply 141August 10, 2016 6:16 PM

R140 , start your Saturday in Australia, then, at midnight, fly up to Japan and you'll have almost a full extra day before Sunday rolls around.

by Anonymousreply 142August 10, 2016 6:44 PM

I recently watched the German movie 'Free Fall' and thought it was really good. The hot German guy from Sense 8 was in it.

by Anonymousreply 143August 10, 2016 10:38 PM

A, try "weird question, but fun-" site@ batman movie christopher nolan

by Anonymousreply 144August 11, 2016 12:19 AM

[quote]Hawaii and Plan B are both a bit aimless. There is something intriguing about them for sure but for gay movies they are quite vague about the whole gay thing.

I've not yet seen Hawaii, but while Plan B isn't explicit, the two guys do seem to actually fall for each other. I'd love to see an English language version of it, with perhaps fewer shots of rooftops, but I'm afraid an American version would be done for laughs.

by Anonymousreply 145August 11, 2016 12:34 AM

Marco Berger did another cool movie, from 2011, called Absent, and he also made some excellent short films for the DVD compilation, Sexual Tension:Volatile (2012). So many posters on this thread have mentioned Hawaii & Plan B, but these other two seem overlooked; I have them on DVD ... maybe they're just not currently in circulation. Berger's themes in this other group of pictures are precursors to those in Hawaii & Plan B.

by Anonymousreply 146August 11, 2016 3:13 AM

Looking For Mr. Goodbar.

by Anonymousreply 147August 11, 2016 7:22 AM

Mambo Italiano is a charming Canadian film from 2003. Mama's boy leaves home to shack up with... a man! Haven't seen it in a while but from what I recall, it avoids the potential bottomless pit of cultural stereotypes and features some fine performances, esp. from Paul Sorvino and Ginette Reno.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148August 11, 2016 5:41 PM

There's one movie I haven't seen mentioned. It's called "Big Eden." It is sort of, if you'll excuse the phrase, a fairy tale with a happy ending. It's not the greatest movie, but I do like to see something where two men fall in love and look like they'll have a "happily ever after."

by Anonymousreply 149August 11, 2016 6:23 PM

R125 and R128 talked about Big Eden. I personally practically hate the film since the ending didn't make any sense.

by Anonymousreply 150August 11, 2016 6:55 PM

"Billy's Dad is a Fudge-Packer". Classic!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151August 11, 2016 6:57 PM

What We Do Is Secret, with Shane West as The Germs' Darby Crash.

by Anonymousreply 152August 12, 2016 10:43 AM

Photo, or stfu R152

by Anonymousreply 153August 12, 2016 10:47 AM

I'm so sorry that I don't have the means to post some photos or clips from that movie, Meowy, as I'm sure I could find some cool stuff. Maybe someone else will. If not, check it out online somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 154August 12, 2016 1:06 PM

I was just kidding around, buddy. I'll check it. Ta.

by Anonymousreply 155August 12, 2016 1:14 PM

Little Nellie Kelly !

by Anonymousreply 156August 12, 2016 6:54 PM

R154, hiya~~~~~~

I just read about the movie. 'What We Do Is Secret' must be a very interesting film, because as i found out Darby Crash led a tragic life.

I think that more gays would be interested in 'What We Do Is Secret' if they knew these things about him:

- He was said by many to be openly gay, or at least bisexual.

-He had a troubled childhood and lost several family members, including his older brother Bobby Lucas (who died of a drug overdose in 1969) and stepfather Bob Baker (who died of a heart attack in 1972). Darby was also verbally abused by his mother, who had a mental illness.

-He took drugs on stage to avoid feeling pain from fan violence.

-When he was 17 he planned to make himself immortal by following a five year plan. That plan was to form a band with his friends, spend a couple of years making it a cultish, outrageous live act, release one great album and then commit suicide to secure his legend. His only misstep was that John Lennon was shot one day after he died, completely overshadowing Darby’s own tragic demise.

-As planned, on 7 December 1980, Darby formed a suicide pact with his then girlfriend, Casey Cola. They lay down together in her mother's back room and injected themselves with the $400-worth of heroin they had bought with the last of their rent money. Crash died (aged 22), Cola survived.

You can find and read the whole article '10 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Darby Crash' if you just google it.

R154, a photo for you.

I checked the songs of his band (The Germs) and i can't say that punk is my cup of tea. I like punk when it has also other elements in it, as in the case of The Clash. Ramones and The Stooges have been also dandy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157August 13, 2016 9:51 AM

One more, just because!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158August 13, 2016 9:55 AM

Trick, because it's a funny movie with a happy ending and there's no death, no sickness, no coming of age, no coming out, no bashing, no family problems, no negativity. However, it still has sentimentality and is a feel-good movie with good performances by the lead characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159August 13, 2016 10:08 AM

Beautiful Thing. Tender, funny, uplifting, with a great soundtrack!

by Anonymousreply 160August 13, 2016 10:26 AM

I'll give you a cookie, if you tell me where does this kiss come from.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161August 13, 2016 10:49 AM

I win! It's Kinsey and that's Liam Neeson kissing Peter Sarsgaard.

by Anonymousreply 162August 13, 2016 11:00 AM

Okay, okay, R162. You can take whichever cookie you like. Don't eat them all, greedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163August 13, 2016 11:10 AM

Darby Crash & Peter Sarsgaard are hot hot hot

by Anonymousreply 164August 13, 2016 11:42 AM

Weekend.

It portrays the very early stages of how a relationship develops so wonderfully.

by Anonymousreply 165August 13, 2016 11:49 AM

I loved the British movie PRIDE!

It had many of the characteristics of the typical everything-turns-out-great movies but all the wacko said in it really happened!!

by Anonymousreply 166August 13, 2016 11:51 AM

Head On, the Australian movie about a young guy dealing with being both gay and a Greek immigrant is wonderfully done.

by Anonymousreply 167August 13, 2016 11:54 AM

..Without a doubt.. SHELTER. Beautiful cinematography outdone only by the romantic love story itself. Well acted, handsome lead actors. LATTER DAYS. A little melodramatic, but overall a nice flick. NOT ANOTHER GAY MOVIE. Silly, laugh out loud comedy.

by Anonymousreply 168August 13, 2016 11:57 AM

R167 - I liked Head On a lot too, but a couple of scenes were a little more explicit than a regular film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169August 13, 2016 12:49 PM

Another vote for Parting Glances.

by Anonymousreply 170August 13, 2016 12:57 PM

Oh my R169... Nothing wrong with explicitly here...Thanks to you, and hot pic, I'm gonna have to give Head On a look.... Most definitely...But does it end upbeat? No death of one or both of the leads?

by Anonymousreply 171August 13, 2016 12:57 PM

Head On dies not have a particularly happy ending if I recall correctly.

by Anonymousreply 172August 13, 2016 1:01 PM

Undertow (Contracorriente)

Has anyone else watched this film before?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173August 13, 2016 1:49 PM

Undertow is very enjoyable, I recommend it. Sad but sensual

by Anonymousreply 174August 13, 2016 1:52 PM

I voted for Head On earlier in this thread and agree with everyone mentioning it now, It's a exciting piece of work and I, along with the others here, would recommend it to anyone. There are not two leads in the movie, though; the story focuses on 24 hours in the life of one gay character, and I don't know why it should matter whether or not it has a happy ending; it's an extraordinary film on every level and the director has all aspects of it covered well, so just sit back and enjoy it, knowing you're in good hands.

However, R171 & R172 , the ending *is* upbeat & optimistic. The young guy goes down to the docks by the seaside and ecstatically does his Greek dance in celebration of his lifestyle, his heritage, his sexuality and his freedom, comparing himself to a sailor on the high seas, an explorer of the world and his own humanity.

by Anonymousreply 175August 13, 2016 1:52 PM

Farewell my concubine

It's not usually considered a gay themed film but it's such a great film.

by Anonymousreply 176August 14, 2016 2:02 AM

Hands down, Beautiful Thing. Must see!!!

by Anonymousreply 177August 14, 2016 2:15 AM

Two French-Canadian comedies, both are a bit offbeat: C.R.A.Z.Y./2005 and Hearbeats/2010.

by Anonymousreply 178August 14, 2016 9:40 PM

I hate it when my favorite threads come to a grinding halt. Let's see, I also like Getting Go [2013] about a budding NYC filmmaker whose obsession with a HOT go-go boy inspires him to make a documentary about the guy in order to get into his go-go briefs. Funny and very sexy. Obsessed guy learns his lesson, nobody dies, there are no guns or other scary things, and, if I remember right, there IS a happy ending

by Anonymousreply 179August 17, 2016 11:41 AM

Brideshead Revisited. The series, not the crap movie.

by Anonymousreply 180August 17, 2016 12:04 PM

[quote]I win! It's Kinsey and that's Liam Neeson kissing Peter Sarsgaard.

Why is it when straight actors(I know, I know. Sarsgard straight?!) anyway, why does it always seem when straight actors play gay and have a kissing scene so many of them seem to grab each others' head in a very forced and inorganic way. There's no caress, no hair stroking, no head cradling,no neck massaging or wrapping arms around each other... ...just a vice-like , tense grip over the entire face that I think THEY think evokes ardor and intensity but to me looks very awkward. Sarsgard and Nesson are doing it at R161. Ledger and Gylenhaal do it in Brokeback and it looks FAKE FAKE FAKE!.

Now, I realize that not every kiss is going to be romantic in nature but even when two gay guys kiss in an overtly SEXUAL way, I've never seen this particular mutual head lock and I've certainly never done it myself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181August 17, 2016 12:06 PM

R180 , does anyone die in it? or break up with each other because if so I just wouldn't be able to deal with it

by Anonymousreply 182August 17, 2016 1:23 PM

R181 , oh shit! i mean, yes those are the best sort of gay films; nothing frightening and they lived happily ever after

by Anonymousreply 183August 17, 2016 1:32 PM

Maurice

Big Eden

Brokeback Mountain

Wedding Banquet

by Anonymousreply 184August 17, 2016 1:35 PM

Brokeback Mountain is too troubling, but Big Eden is good as long as you agree with the choice made at the end, otherwise it too can lead to heartburn. Maurice, after some trials & tribulations, ends very nicely in front of a warm fire

by Anonymousreply 185August 17, 2016 1:44 PM

Fogi Is A Bastard (French/1998) is different & cool, but, be warned, the story contains drug addiction, rock music, prostitution, boyfriends breaking up and one of them dies.

It focuses on a young teen who runs away from home in order to pusue the good-looking lead singer of his favorite band.They become lovers but their hedonistic lifestyle evetually leads to tragedy. Well made, good production values, and a perfect cast make Fogi Is A Bastard worth a watch if that sort of stuff rings your bell

by Anonymousreply 186August 17, 2016 7:28 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 187August 28, 2016 8:39 PM

"A Love To Hide" / "Un amour à taire" For reasons I don't understand it is largely unknown, but it was a fantastic film.

by Anonymousreply 188August 28, 2016 8:43 PM

R34 That is the only time I have ever burst out crying and sobbed in a movie theater. I was so embarrassed. I'm British and we don't go for that type of thing.

by Anonymousreply 189August 28, 2016 8:55 PM

Hey, R181 - If you want to see some HOT! natural looking kissing between two straight actors, check out "Soldier's Girl". Okay, this one takes a little opening of your mind because one of the actors is playing a transvestite and is rumored to be gay, but if you squint and remember that it's two dudes, watch and enjoy the high quality tongue action going on from Troy Garity (Jane Fonda's son ). I applaud Troy for not holding back in his love scenes with Lee Pace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190August 28, 2016 10:44 PM

R188 , i have a dvd copy of A Love To Hide and have always enjoyed watching it though i know of no one else who's seen it. The lead actor Jeremie Renier has appeared in dozens of movies since starting as a teen actor, but another cool one where he portrays a young gay guy is Criminal Lovers (2000-?). It's an odd fairy-tale of a film for viewers who are interested in the unusual ... others beware as there is a bloody murder near the beginning as well as some forced S&M situations. Very stylish with great production values and fine acting throughout as well as a haunting end.

by Anonymousreply 191August 28, 2016 11:11 PM

Younger gays, please don't avoid the older gay themed movies just because they're intense and deal with the closet and AIDS (Parting Glances, Longtime Companion, Brokeback Mountain.)

They will make you proud of how far we've come and grateful for the lives we can live now. They will show you how hard many of us struggled for you...it feels important to many of us who are older that this history not be lost.

by Anonymousreply 192August 29, 2016 12:24 AM

[quote]They will make you proud of how far we've come and grateful for the lives we can live now. They will show you how hard many of us struggled for you...it feels important to many of us who are older that this history not be lost.

While I've changed my mind about mocking this, I want you to reconsider whether it would have the response you want.

by Anonymousreply 193August 29, 2016 12:43 AM

[quote]They will make you proud of how far we've come and grateful for the lives we can live now. They will show you how hard many of us struggled for you...it feels important to many of us who are older that this history not be lost.

Doesn't every generation feel that way?

by Anonymousreply 194August 29, 2016 12:58 AM

R192 , young LGBTQ audience members who are interested in studying or just viewing gay, queer & lesbian-themed films would do best by watching as wide a variety of those films as possible, not limiting them to certain genres, countries or issue-oriented flics. Gay world cinema is rich with the most fantastic array of movies in every stripe and color, thousands of them, and it would be a shame to limit your choices to the flavor of the month or only the ones featuring your favorite hot actor. A range of great LGBTQ movies have already been mentioned in this thread and more are sure to come

by Anonymousreply 195August 29, 2016 2:07 PM

Great choice R190, I enjoyed Soldier's Girl too. Both actors, attractive and believable in their scenes. Brokeback Mountain, while beautiful filmed and well acted, the tragic ending ruined it for me. I despise an unhappy ending to my very core. It stays with me, and brings my mood down. SHELTER delivered for me, what I seek and love about gay -themed movies. Not Another Gay Comedy, not an award effort, but a welcome change of pace. I'm about to drop the HERE channel from my cable tier. Free Fall, in the manor of most of HERE channel's foreign movies, is an overdramatic weepy downer. 4th Man Out..yes please. I will NEVER, EVER knowingly watch some sad little, tragic ending gay-themed movie, in my lifetime. Over it. Beautiful Thing, My Beautiful Laundrette, do-able. What the fuck is the matter with HERE, and European filmmakers? Are we still in the gay unaccepting 70's, 80's, and some extent 90's? LOGO should change their format to an LGBTQ agenda, or just take their sorry asses off the air. I'm really shocked and angered that positive, UPLIFTING gay movies and programming, are not prevalent and a non-issue. Netflix or bust.

by Anonymousreply 196August 30, 2016 3:50 AM

What about the Israeli movie 'Eyes Wide Open' about this gay man who's presence in an Orthodox Jewish community causes untold havoc? I enoyed it very much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197August 30, 2016 6:24 AM

I've become so obsessed with Marco Berger that, even though I'm not a Spanner speaker, I trawl the web looking for any bits of information on upcoming projects or whether any of the actors he uses in his projects like Plan B or Hawaii are actually gay. Because his projects are so low budget, info is scant. I believe Hawaii's release was unexpected as he worked on it between two projects that were struggling with funding.

I really hope he considers sequels because we all become so invested in his characters.

by Anonymousreply 198August 30, 2016 6:34 AM

Answered Prayers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199August 30, 2016 7:30 AM

Has Velvet Goldmine been mentioned yet?

by Anonymousreply 200August 30, 2016 8:42 AM

Latter Days was the best independent gay film. Brokeback Mountain was the best mainstream gay film.

by Anonymousreply 201August 30, 2016 9:00 AM

Latter Days was a great movie, R201 Steve Sandvoss was adorable and hot.

by Anonymousreply 202August 30, 2016 9:35 AM

[quote]Tom a la Ferme is a very vexing, thwarting and, ultimately, not entirely successful psychological thriller. However,the tense,oblique relationship between the two lead characters, the sexual ambiguity of the handsome, domineering homme fatale and the remote, banally surrealistic rural atmosphere was really compelling to me.

LOL. Okay, Wordy McWordster. Way to make the film sound completely uninteresting.

by Anonymousreply 203August 30, 2016 10:16 AM

Also what the fuck did I just watch at R199? From "Cocky Boys?" When did they branch out into Kubrick-styled film making? That's actually kinda' interesting.

by Anonymousreply 204August 30, 2016 10:20 AM

R198 , there seem to be a lot of director Marco Berger fans on this thread. His movies Plan B and Hawaii have been mentioned many times, but he has two other cool films that you and others might be interested in; Absent/2008 and Sexual Tension: Volatile/2011 (the latter is a compilation of shorts). Both these movies are in the vein of Hawaii and Plan B. I own DVD copies of the two (originally released by TLA) but I think they're out of print and there may be some copyright issues regarding their release on cable or movie channels because no one has yet mentioned ever seeing them. Anyway, they're well worth searching out if Berger's your cup of tea.

by Anonymousreply 205August 30, 2016 11:07 AM

R203 , I agree and will be ordering my copy today, looks trippy & hot! Thank you Anonymous at R199.

by Anonymousreply 206August 30, 2016 11:37 AM

I would like to recommend the South Korean film Night Flight (2014).

There is a special place in my heart for the premise of being in love with your best friend from childhood. Straight people have had that privilege forever and I think laying claim to such a cliche heterosexual experience and complicating it through the filter of gay experience is in some sense much more radical than the overwhelming tragedy of so many gay films.

And boy, are there complications in this film. The director, Leesong Hee-il, set out to tell the story of young people in Korea coming of age in a society that places them under intense pressure to succeed academically, all the while ignoring their emotional health, turning a blind eye to systemic bullying and violence, and stigmatizing homosexuality and sexuality more broadly. The problem of loneliness lies at the heart of the film and is explored through several characters. I felt very centered in the movie's protagonist, Shin Yong-ju (Kwak Si-yang), a gay teen with a talent for photography and an infectious smile. His best friend from junior high, Han Gi-woong (Lee Jae-joon), is the smoldering antihero, the taciturn leader of the local gang of toughs who ignores Yong-ju until the latter forces the issue, with exhilarating and terrifying consequences.

The two leads are gorgeous and the performances by the supporting actors are great (Yong-ju's mom is especially wonderful). There is an abundance of humor interwoven with the drama, and despite the everpresent themes of loneliness and violence, there is also catharsis and a certain amount of optimism in the end. The entire movie with English subtitles is on YouTube (if you can overlook a few moments of missing sound due to soundtrack copyright), go watch it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207August 30, 2016 11:41 AM

R207 , you lost me in the second paragraph but I've added Night Flight to my must-see list because I'm always on the lookout for gay films from other cultures.

by Anonymousreply 208August 30, 2016 11:54 AM

I am glad, R208. Let us know here what you think of it.

I know my recommendation was verbose, but I just wanted to be a strong advocate. I figure people can read more or less of what I put out there depending on their preference and how much information they're looking for before going into it.

by Anonymousreply 209August 30, 2016 1:11 PM

R209 , I could tell from your sincere comments that Night Flight would be worth watching, and I've seen other films by South Korean filmmakers, though not gay-themed (that I can remember), so I look forward to seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 210August 30, 2016 1:29 PM

Some new upcoming gay movies that look good:

Closet Monster

Front Cover

Departure

Fair Haven

Akron

by Anonymousreply 211August 30, 2016 1:40 PM

[quote]Latter Days was the best independent gay film.

I seriously don't understand how anyone could actually believe this. It's cute, but a cheesy B-movie.

by Anonymousreply 212August 30, 2016 1:43 PM

Seemingly without major involvement from ANY gay people at all , "Mildred Pierce" (1945) manages to be the gayest film I've ever seen. It actually TURNED me gay!

by Anonymousreply 213August 30, 2016 1:48 PM

Thought of another gay kiss between straight** actors that looked pretty natural: the last scene in "Jeffrey". I didn't love this movie, but near the end, Steven Weber and Michael T. Weiss kiss and it's pretty nice. It's slow and sweet and gets a little heated. **I know there have been rumors about Weiss**

by Anonymousreply 214August 30, 2016 3:37 PM

R204 R206 About five(?) years ago, Cockyboys' (Jake Jaxson) began producing these more cinematic type productions. I believe the first one was "The Haunting" - a trilogy with an epilogue. That one's in the psych-horror (ghost) genre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215August 30, 2016 10:08 PM

R215 Jaxson's latest one is called "The Stillest Hour." The trailer was released about six months ago, but I don't think its available yet(?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216August 30, 2016 10:13 PM

R215 & R216 , thanks for the followup

by Anonymousreply 217August 30, 2016 10:42 PM

The Cocky Boys clip has over 50,000 views just for a G-rated trailer for a porno. They're doing something right over there.

by Anonymousreply 218August 31, 2016 12:29 AM

[quote]Absent/2008 and Sexual Tension: Volatile/2011 (the latter is a compilation of shorts).

Thanks r205. Both DVDs are available via international online stores. I javelin a multi-region player so it won't be a problem. Anyone else want to order internationally should make sure DVDs you're purchasing have English subtitles because some don't.

BTW,r205, do you know anything about the two leads in Hawaii? Marco Berger states in one interview that "men are an all-consuming passion" for him which, to me, suggests he's vey in the scene or at least mainly associates with other gay men. Given that he's cast Manuel Vignau, who'd previously only done local theatre in Argentina, as lead more than once and is obviously close with him, I wonder if he's gay? As for Mateo Chiarino, he too is relatively obscure. Nothing online about his personal life other than the fact he's Uruguayan. I'm guessing his accent is so obvious that it had to be explained in Hawaii

by Anonymousreply 219August 31, 2016 8:22 PM

R219 I know nothing about Chiarino's personal life, but I can tell you that he's part of the ensemble cast for a current television series on TV Ciudad (Uruguay) called "Feriados." So at least he's still around. Promos for each episode are on youtube (Manso Films channel). They've aired 5 of 9. The series website (photos) is here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220September 1, 2016 10:26 PM

The Trip (2002) and Soldiers Girl.

by Anonymousreply 221September 5, 2016 3:22 AM

Yes please recommend good gay movies with happy endings please.

I find two things that ruins gay movies and they are:

-a very sad and negative ending.

-that the main character is straight in real life. I think they are plenty of good looking gay actors willing to star in a gay movie. Why promoting those freaks and when it comes to our own kind so much discrimination? , after all the target audience are the gays not the straights. Besides, it is sort of a turn off to me to see a straight guy in a gay role, there is something fake about it and then after they do the film they speak about how their experience of kissing a guy was like for them as it if were something outrageous , for real the whole thing makes makes feel uncomfortable. We should start boycotting directors using straight actors in gay roles.

by Anonymousreply 222September 5, 2016 3:49 AM

The silent Wings. First best picture Oscar.

Terrific melodrama where two fighter pilots who hate each other because they love the same women realize they are in love with each other.

Real tear jerker ending with dying embrace and kiss.

by Anonymousreply 223September 5, 2016 3:54 AM

I wouldn't. Because they all are awful.

by Anonymousreply 224September 5, 2016 4:00 AM

New movie starring Evan Todd from 4th Man Out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225September 9, 2016 2:58 AM

Triumph Of The Will

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226September 9, 2016 4:05 AM

Saw a French movie yesterday called "Theo and Hugo" and it made my eyes bug out. It's a love story about two guys that find each other in a sex club. They start off with other people but gravitate to each other. The first 10-15 minutes is watching these guys and other men have sex, with full erections on display, visible blow jobs and anal penetration. They leave the club together, in bliss that they've found a soulmate. It takes a dark turn after one reveals their HIV status and realize they didn't use protection. The rest of the story is them hitting the ER to find out what to do to fix their "mistake".

I zoned out a few times but I'm pretty sure this film has a "happy" ending.

by Anonymousreply 227September 12, 2016 3:48 AM

Come Undone is intense and hot, both sad and uplifting.

by Anonymousreply 228September 12, 2016 4:20 AM

Where did you see theo and Hugo?

by Anonymousreply 229September 12, 2016 4:36 AM

Thanks guys, other posters. My newbie on-line/tech, Xer, eldergay ass finally put down my cable remote and expanded my horizons. EUREKA !! Gay movie gold. Treasure trove of non-mainstream, indies, little known goodies. Fuck the HERE channel, LOGO and Time Warner. Amazon/Netflix.. Thank you. An old dog can learn new tricks..and still turn some too, if ever desperate !!! :-)

by Anonymousreply 230September 12, 2016 4:51 AM

Eu te amo Renato

Tattoo (2013)

Shelter

by Anonymousreply 231September 12, 2016 7:36 AM

We Were One Man. So fabulous and bizarre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232September 12, 2016 10:41 AM

Just between us R229, I got Theo and Hugo off a torrent site.

by Anonymousreply 233September 12, 2016 4:43 PM

Let's be honest. Most gay movies are badly acted and melodramatic with thin, predictable plot lines. But when they get it right, as is the case with 'Hawaii', it is beautiful to behold and stays with you for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 234September 13, 2016 2:36 AM

My Beautiful Launderette

My Own Private Idaho

Milk

Brokeback Mountain

by Anonymousreply 235September 13, 2016 2:54 AM

R207, I'm very very happy you linked Night Flight.

I'm a fan of Yaoi, Manga and BL stories--but more than that i love good drama. And, it's one of the stronger BL films i've seen in a long while!

Great acting (even the secondary characters), strong script (funny, bittersweet), beautiful filmmaking (mmm lots of golden-hour cinematography)...It's kinda spoiled me for lesser films, lol.

I managed to find the un-neutered version (w/ missing soundtrack) to rewatch.

by Anonymousreply 236September 13, 2016 7:40 AM

Mean Girls

White Chicks

A Confession of A Shopaholic

A Princess Diary

by Anonymousreply 237September 13, 2016 8:09 AM

We've only identified a handful of genuinely good movies on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 238September 15, 2016 8:53 PM

Edge of Seventeen. It's set in 1984. It was almost scary how close Eric the main character's experiences were like mine, especially the first shitty boyfriend who was in college. Great soundtrack, too, with some wonderful 80s songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239September 15, 2016 9:01 PM

Does Perks of Being a Wallflower count? The gay character was central and was sleeping with a hot jock.

by Anonymousreply 240September 15, 2016 9:41 PM

Yeah, I think the Perks of being a Wallflower counts. It was a really good movie. Makes me want to drive 4 hours to eat grilled stickies.

by Anonymousreply 241September 15, 2016 11:08 PM

SHELTER

LATTER DAYS

ANOTHER GAY MOVIE

4 MOONS

BROWNBACK MOUNTAIN.. (But the ending is too sad for #1 ranking)

by Anonymousreply 242September 15, 2016 11:14 PM

R242 **BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN** ^^ whoops

by Anonymousreply 243September 15, 2016 11:16 PM

Loved "Big Eden" and "Brokeback Mountain"

by Anonymousreply 244September 16, 2016 12:14 AM

For those interested, "Those People" is on Netflix now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245September 16, 2016 2:07 AM

Saw an interesting movie yesterday - an Australian film called "Downriver". It is not a feelgood film at all, but it had an interesting story and the three lead characters were gay with no drama or angst about it. (FYI - got it from a torrent site)

Synopsis: Dude murders a younger child at 10 years old - gets locked up. He is set free when he's about 20. He is remorseful and goes back where it all happened to make amends for his crime. He meets a cute boy next door. He also encounters the creepy friend that was with him on the day of the murder. Friend is not happy to see his old mate. The accents were a little tough on my dumb American ears, but the movie leaves an impact.

by Anonymousreply 246September 18, 2016 4:00 PM

FYI - it looks like Downriver is available for viewing on Youtube for $4.00. The trailer is below.

If anyone has seen it, please reply - I have a few questions. Like I said, the accents were a little thick at times and I lost the thread about one very important aspect... I will just say "Bettina".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247September 18, 2016 4:12 PM

[quote]For those interested, "Those People" is on Netflix now

I rather liked it. It may be because the main character was utterly adorable, and the asshole friend he was pining over wasn't bad either.

There's another one that popped up in my suggestions called Like You Mean It. Bit slow and thoughtful like Weekend, but the writer/director/star isn't afraid to make his character a complete asshole, which is refreshing. Especially since it seems a bit autobiographical.

by Anonymousreply 248September 18, 2016 4:25 PM

Hawaii was terrible, I don't know why anyone thought that was art. You must be a class-obsessed social climbing freak. Those two should have been slapped and reminded their vocal chords had a function.

"Just une question d'amour" is good.

by Anonymousreply 249September 18, 2016 4:41 PM

Being 17, a French gay coming of age movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250September 18, 2016 5:26 PM

I watched Being 17 last week. Not crazy about it - the biracial dude was a bully to the other guy for no apparent reason (to me), then he's declaring love. It was a rambling, drawn out story with boring side stories (pregnant mother, Dad in the military, many scenes of riding a bus), with not enough motivation for me to ultimately believe in their "gay love".

by Anonymousreply 251September 18, 2016 6:02 PM

Sorry to turn this from a "rec one great gay film" thread to a film review thread but here's another movie I just saw, called "Take Me to the River".

This film that isn't going to leave a smile on your face, but the premise and execution was interesting. Gay teen goes to a family gathering in farm country Nebraska. He's ready to come out but Mom thinks her family won't receive it well/will ostracize her son and she doesn't want him hurt. There's an incident where his young female cousin gets hurt while he's alone with her and this turns into accusations of molestation. It has some slow stretches, but every minute is full of tension and leaves you wanting answers.

The little girl who gets hurt is... troubling. I want to discuss with people who've seen it.

by Anonymousreply 252September 18, 2016 6:20 PM

For those into history theme asian films with a lot if action involving emperors "A frozen flower" will be a beautiful movie to watch. The end is both happy and sad at the same time. The movie has great scenarios and it doest seem like a cheap movie at all.

The movie doesnt have gay sex, only a scene involving a straight couple having sex, but nothing pornographic. The plot is about two men who are bisexuals and have relationship with girls but deep inside they love each other. One of them is an emperor while the other guy is poor but they become enemies during their lives.

In my opinion this is one of the best homosexual love films ever made by south koreans, portraying the tumultuous feeling between two guys that do not accept their sexuality and have to hide it. The movie even won several awards so I truly recommend it, and Im not even into watching asian films at all.

by Anonymousreply 253September 18, 2016 8:36 PM

Holding The Man ended up making me sob. I wasn't expecting that at all.

by Anonymousreply 254September 18, 2016 10:46 PM

L'Homme De Sa Vie aka Man of my life (2006) a French film

by Anonymousreply 255September 19, 2016 1:20 AM

R255, that means 'The man of HIS life'.

by Anonymousreply 256September 19, 2016 5:42 PM

Akron

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257September 26, 2016 3:40 AM

Just came across this movie on Netflix

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258October 23, 2016 11:06 PM

I loved the movie "Trick" with Christian Campbell and Jean-Paul Pitoc. It was lighthearted and the characters weren't conflicted or depressed or contemplating suicide because they were gay. It was about two openly gay guys who have the hots for each other and just wanna find a place to be alone for the night. Throughout it all, they get to know each other and find out they want to do more than just trick with each other.

by Anonymousreply 259October 23, 2016 11:35 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260October 24, 2016 6:00 AM

Teaser for a potential supernatural gay movie starring fiances Adam Huss and Adam Bucci

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261November 28, 2016 11:00 PM

Get Real

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262November 28, 2016 11:15 PM

Thanks, R257. Can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 263November 28, 2016 11:20 PM

What a nice selection of gay movies.

by Anonymousreply 264November 28, 2016 11:25 PM

Sorry but it has to be 2. The Torch Song Trilogy & Tidy Endings both with Harvey Fierstein. Both heart-breakers.

by Anonymousreply 265November 28, 2016 11:31 PM

Beautiful Thing.

Sweet and funny and heartwarming.

by Anonymousreply 266November 29, 2016 12:02 AM

Does the Beautiful Thing DVD have closed captions? The VHS was impossible to understand if you aren't fluent in Cockney.

by Anonymousreply 267November 29, 2016 12:05 AM

Teenage Kicks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268December 26, 2016 10:54 PM

That looks awful, R268. Did you see it?

by Anonymousreply 269December 26, 2016 11:05 PM

Some really good options.

4th Man Out

4 Nights in the Hamptons

Those People

I've got some movies to watch. Thanks DLers.

by Anonymousreply 270December 26, 2016 11:22 PM

Longhorns

by Anonymousreply 271December 27, 2016 12:26 AM

My Own Private Idaho. River. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 272December 27, 2016 12:49 AM

Fox and His Friends directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder

by Anonymousreply 273December 27, 2016 3:35 AM

some films of Francois Ozon

by Anonymousreply 274December 27, 2016 3:36 AM

The Falls: Covenant of Grace, third movie in The Falls series

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275January 2, 2017 1:35 AM

The two best gay-themed movies I've ever seen are two of the earliest. Check out "Victim" starring Dirk Bogarde as a married British barrister who must decide whether to come out to break up a blackmail ring. The acting all around is superb. Of course "Boys In The Band" is the most quotable film of all time. No one should go through life without seeing this groundbreaking (and extremely funny) movie.

by Anonymousreply 276January 2, 2017 1:52 AM

Moonlight is a terrific gay film.

I want a man to look at me the way Andre Holland looks at Chiron.

by Anonymousreply 277January 2, 2017 2:06 AM

Does anyone know the history of "Song of the Loon." (1970, some sources say 1968.) I know it was based on a gay pulp novel by Richard Amory, but exactly how was the film released? Mainstream? or gay adult theaters, or ?? It seems like a pre-cursor to Brokeback Mountain. Bijou Classics added it to their available list a few years ago, writing:

[quote] A classic gay love story based on Richard Amory's best-selling trilogy, set in the American wilderness of 1870. A sincere, well-produced film about unashamed and unpossessive gay male love. Troubled by sexual conflicts and pursued by a vengeful preacher and a former lover, young Ephraim seeks and finds peace of mind with the help of a handsome cowboy and a wise Indian medicine man. There is no explicit sex, though it is alluded to artistically. Beautiful locations and an example of a sincere, well-produced film about unashamed and unpossessive gay male love.

Trailer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278January 2, 2017 5:31 AM

Longer clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279January 2, 2017 5:35 AM

Shelter

Prayers For Bobby

by Anonymousreply 280January 2, 2017 5:55 AM

r11 A Single Man is a gay movie? I didn't know ive only seen pics of Nicholas Hoult from that movie. So whats the story/relationship with him and the main guy in the story?

by Anonymousreply 281January 2, 2017 5:58 AM

Google exists R281

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282January 2, 2017 6:05 AM

Loggerheads

Hard Pill

by Anonymousreply 283January 2, 2017 6:47 AM

Four

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284January 2, 2017 7:47 AM

Wedding Ceremony

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285January 6, 2017 4:35 AM

Butt Munch II: Back to the Crack

by Anonymousreply 286January 6, 2017 4:54 AM

Apartment Zero

by Anonymousreply 287January 6, 2017 4:55 AM

Adding to R285's asian flavor, try Fathers, a Thai movie available on youtube w/ english subs.

by Anonymousreply 288January 6, 2017 5:24 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 289January 7, 2017 7:47 PM

Ander

by Anonymousreply 290January 9, 2017 11:00 PM

Miles - based on a true story

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291January 22, 2017 2:55 AM

"Yossi"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292January 22, 2017 2:57 AM

Harvest

by Anonymousreply 293January 22, 2017 3:02 AM

Something like Summer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294March 25, 2017 10:36 PM

I honestly thought Song of the Loon was something Nell Warren made up for The Front Runner.

by Anonymousreply 295March 25, 2017 10:40 PM

Back in the late 60s, where did they get legitimate actors to appear in Song Of The Loon?

by Anonymousreply 296March 25, 2017 10:42 PM

Sobrè Nos

by Anonymousreply 297March 26, 2017 2:39 AM

The lead actor from Something Like Summer is not talented enough. What a missed opportunity from the producers.

by Anonymousreply 298March 26, 2017 2:49 AM

"bent"

"taxi zum klo"

by Anonymousreply 299March 26, 2017 3:11 AM

Capital Games

by Anonymousreply 300March 26, 2017 8:04 AM

[quote]The lead actor from Something Like Summer is not talented enough.

I don't think either he or Tim are particularly skilled. This was a low-budget thing all the way.

I like Ben Baur, though.

[quote]What a missed opportunity from the producers.

These are the people who brought you the Charlie David/Brent Corrigan vehicle Judas Kiss. Which I actually kind of like, but it's not great cinema.

by Anonymousreply 301March 26, 2017 11:29 AM

Has anyone seen the Australian film "Cut Snake"? Released in 2015. It's set in the 70s.

gifs from it look hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302June 12, 2017 2:00 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303June 12, 2017 2:01 AM

"LAZY EYE". It's a great little film. The script is good, the acting and direction are great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304June 12, 2017 2:16 AM

Better Half

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305June 12, 2017 2:20 AM

'HOLDING THE MAN'. Fantastic film based on the real lives of the lead characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306June 12, 2017 2:26 AM

"LIKE YOU MEAN IT"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307June 12, 2017 2:32 AM

Luchino Visconti's "Death in Venice". Beautifully shot, beautifully done - the best film adaptation of a book. The longing, the loss, the love ... it palpitates off the screen.

by Anonymousreply 308June 12, 2017 2:50 AM

Moonlight, Free Fall (German film), Boys in the Band, Loose Cannons, Law of Desire, Brokeback Mountain, Maurice.

by Anonymousreply 309June 12, 2017 3:08 AM

Beach Rats is an upcoming film

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310June 15, 2017 4:24 PM

Man, that Beach Rats trailer tells you NOTHING.

by Anonymousreply 311June 15, 2017 5:44 PM

Beach Rats won the Sundance Film Festival over Call me by Your Name, so I expect to see both films at the Oscars. <3

[quote]Teenage Kicks

Man this film made me so mad. *spoilers* The guy has the hot for his real brother which leads to a discussion and his brother ends up getting run over by a car. He's in love with his best friend, whom after learning that his bbf sabotaged his relationship with his girlfriend, rapes him and later wants him to go with him far away.

Does the movie imply that he is going to stay and have a relationship with his dead brother's baby mama? I would have gone with the friend instead, even though he had raped him.

by Anonymousreply 312June 15, 2017 7:05 PM

I just watched a German Film called India Blues. Anyone seen it? They really did cum in that scene, right? I could clearly see an erection on the bottom.

[quote]Cut Snake

R302 I'm about to see it. I have big expectations for this one. Tomorrow I'm going to binge watch some gay films Center of My World(2017), Beautiful Something(2017), Eisenstein in Guanajuato (2015), and Before The Fall (2016)

by Anonymousreply 313June 15, 2017 7:22 PM

Anybody hear of an eary gay film called "Song of the Loon"?l

by Anonymousreply 314June 16, 2017 12:42 AM

The Normal Heart is wonderful and heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 315June 16, 2017 12:45 AM

R313 you might want to also check out Arisan! and el sexo de los ángeles.

by Anonymousreply 316June 16, 2017 1:26 AM

Retake

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317June 16, 2017 4:07 PM

Center of my World

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318June 21, 2017 3:48 AM

Head On, an nineties Australian film, set in Melbourne, with Alex Dimitriades. Based on the book, Loaded by Christos Tsiolkas. Also check out Barracuda, the four part tv mini series based on the book by the same guy.

by Anonymousreply 319June 21, 2017 4:05 AM

I am Michael is finally on Netflix in the US.

by Anonymousreply 320June 26, 2017 3:59 PM

This German film had more depth than first anticipated. I never thought I would be sympathetic to the father, but his last scene was heartbreaking.

Shasha (2010)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321June 26, 2017 4:43 PM

Capital Games

by Anonymousreply 322June 27, 2017 7:42 AM

Esteros, out now on Netflix

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323July 4, 2017 5:11 PM

The Canadian film, C.R.A.Z.Y. (2005), starring Marc-Andre Grondin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324July 4, 2017 6:11 PM

Suicide Club

by Anonymousreply 325July 4, 2017 6:12 PM

Nachthelle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326July 4, 2017 9:12 PM

It's Only the End of the World (2016). Think of it as a gay August: Osage County. But French. Chanel twink Gaspard Ulliel plays a gay writer who returns home to tell the family he hasn't seen in 12 years that he's dying but they're too busy bickering amongst themselves to let him get a word in. Nathalie Baye, Marion Cotillard, Vincent Cassel and Lea Seydoux co-star. Directed by Xavier Dolan. Now available on Netflix streaming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327July 4, 2017 9:27 PM

Prick Up Your Ears (1987).

by Anonymousreply 328July 5, 2017 7:51 AM

Ben Affleck's and Matt Damon's sex tape

by Anonymousreply 329July 7, 2017 5:14 AM

Not specifically a gay movie, but Austin McKenzie plays a gay teen in the movie Speech & Debate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330July 9, 2017 1:57 AM

"Handsome Devil" an Irish film is now available on Amazon. I watched it last night and it was a light film set in a boarding school where rugby is king. Outcast gay student gets new roommate and they both learn some things. It wasn't dark and a downer, but it wasn't a comedy either. This is not a movie with sex scenes or romantic revelations - it's a sporty, teen feel-good movie.

It had some good actors: gay Irish actor Andrew Scott (plays Moriarty in the Sherlock Holmes series), the guy who played Roose Bolton on GOT, and the guy who played Athelwolf on Vikings.

by Anonymousreply 331July 27, 2017 3:36 PM

"Weekend,", without a doubt. The story is simple, but compelling, and the leads' performances are perfect.

by Anonymousreply 332July 27, 2017 3:51 PM

FYI: Depression (or depressing or being depressed) is an absence of feeling. Sadness (sad or being sad) is a feeling and part of the spectrum of human emotion.

So many people get this wrong.

by Anonymousreply 333July 27, 2017 6:46 PM

R141 excellent analysis of those Berger films. Berger's interest is in the falling in love not the consummation. His films are like falling in love in real time and I think that makes them feel dangerous and exhilarating. If you are looking for sex in those films I think Berger would be the first person to tell you to look elsewhere-- FILE TO. HAWAII, BERGER, PLAN B

by Anonymousreply 334July 27, 2017 8:01 PM

R205 Absent used to be on HBOGo -- that's where I watched it. Facsinating yet sad little film. A ghost story in a way.

by Anonymousreply 335July 27, 2017 8:09 PM

Song of the Loon. I don't know who saw it at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336July 27, 2017 9:01 PM

A clip

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337July 27, 2017 9:02 PM

A better trailer for Beach Rats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338August 14, 2017 9:52 PM

Full frontal nudity, genuinely sexy and romantic + a happy ending

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339August 14, 2017 10:06 PM

From another blog:

[quote][bold]Taxi zum Klo[/bold] ("Taxi to the John", or "Taxi to the Toilet"), 1981: Frank Ripploh's semi-autobiographical drama about a prim and proper school teacher with a hardcore after-hours sex life was groundbreaking and sensational for its time, and indeed remains a cult classic (and one of the sexiest gay films according to director John Cameron Mitchell). There's also a 1987 sequel called Taxi Nach Kairo

Wow was this a shocking movie when I first saw it (early 80's ), full on hardcore sex, fucking, sucking, and something that I'd at that point in my life never seen, watersports! This was obviously pre-internet. Quite shocking even by today's standard.

I found a copy on youtube but no alas English subtitles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340August 16, 2017 1:07 AM

Someone mentioned the great contemporary French director Francois Ozon. Two of his most entertaining films with gay interest are Water Drops on Burning Rocks (bisexual content) and Criminal Lovers (very cute guys, nudity). I also love the late Italian director Pier Paolo Pasolini, another gay director who didn't do exclusively gay stories but whose gay sensibility can be felt in all of his films. Two of his best are Teorema and Arabian Nights. Also good and unmentioned, Strapped. A cute film to watch during the holidays is Make the Yuletide Gay.

by Anonymousreply 341August 16, 2017 2:24 AM

^^ In the same vein Pier Paolo Pasolini, ""Salo 100 Years of Sodom^^ not necessary gay, but there's some gay sex. and I have to say, back in the 90's when I first went to rent it, the video clerk, grabbed the video and said without any irony or doubt, "do not rent the film. it is so wrong." Of course, i rented, and almost threw up a couple of times. it is the most disturbing film I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 342August 16, 2017 6:47 AM

Yes, I also found 'Salo' to be repugnant. If I remember right, Pasolini's intent was to expose the horrors of fascism which was of course a political reality in mid-twentieth century Italy. It might be interesting to see it again during the Trump era.

by Anonymousreply 343August 16, 2017 12:00 PM

Another vote for "Handsome Devil" it's currently on Netflix. Fun little movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344August 17, 2017 7:32 AM

I saw Cut Snake early last year and liked it, mostly for Sullivan Stapleton strutting across the screen like a brick shithouse, in tight 70's slacks and pornstache. That guy is walking testosterone and it was nice to see him playing gay; he had a very sexy and steamy kissing scene with his male co-star as seen at R302.

PLOT SPOILERS: Ex-con visits his old cellmate and wants to rekindle their life of crime and "other things". Flashbacks show that these guys had a 'special friendship' in the joint. Ex-cellmate is now married and has hidden his previous life from his new wife. He ends up working with his pal again but things don't stay so cozy. Not a happy ending... sorry.

by Anonymousreply 345September 10, 2017 2:24 AM

“Top Gun” (1986).

by Anonymousreply 346September 10, 2017 2:27 AM

I also saw 'Cut Snake' a couple of weeks ago after seeing it mentioned on this thread. Rarely does one see so much testosterone on display in a gay movie. But after all, gay love has many different incarnations in our culture and in others. The ending was tragic but also love-affirming, unexpected and moving. Both of the lead actors were sexy and entirely believable in their roles. Interesting film.

by Anonymousreply 347September 10, 2017 11:19 AM

Wonder if you fine movie watchers can help me find a film I saw about a year ago: I'm 80% sure this was a British film - none of the actors are familiar to me.

An all-male party is being held in someones home; most of the men are rough types, big gym muscles, leather, biker types. As time goes on, it's clear this is a sex party because the guys start pairing up and the drugs come out. There are scenes that are pretty hard core but this is not a porn film, and that's all I got. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 348September 11, 2017 4:22 PM

Three

Man In The Mirror

by Anonymousreply 349October 26, 2017 9:05 PM

I've only scrolled backwards through a number of posts - why is it that so many recommendations are for movies with disturbing content? Especially when the OP asked for a recommendation? Haven't we moved past unpleasant movies with gay characters? hardcore sex (but it's not porn), unhappy gay men, closeted gay men, etc...

Here's a recommendation - it's from 2004. It's not the best gay film ever made, but it does have a happy ending for the main character who's gay - Outing Riley. I really enjoyed many years ago. For those of you who need something sexy, Nathan Fillion's in the cast and does show his fabulous ass... remember this was filmed 14 years ago!

by Anonymousreply 350October 26, 2017 9:48 PM

Dead Europe- based on the book by Melbourne writer, Christos Tsiolkas, (The Slap, Head On, Barracuda. Pretty full on.

by Anonymousreply 351October 26, 2017 9:53 PM

Juste une question d'amour

by Anonymousreply 352October 26, 2017 10:04 PM

Trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353October 27, 2017 1:38 AM

O FANTASMA is the hottest gay film ever...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354October 29, 2017 11:19 AM

Is It Just Me? A sappy, low budget, gay themed rom-com for when you are not in the mood for sad and brooding AIDS or Coming Out drama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355October 29, 2017 11:24 AM

Lilting (2014)

Beautiful, heartfelt and moving film. Superb acting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356October 29, 2017 11:36 AM

I wish there was a thread where we list all the films every gay man should see, which includes not just gay themed films but also camp classics and any other film which might resonate with a gay audience. I've been away from the DL for a couple of months and 'pon my return I note with dismay that they've taken away our thread posting privileges. :(

by Anonymousreply 357October 29, 2017 11:43 AM

Prayers for Bobby

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358October 29, 2017 11:44 AM

Weekend, Theo and Hugo, Stranger At The Lake

by Anonymousreply 359October 29, 2017 12:19 PM

I saw a really good indie called Lazy Eye about two middle-aged former lovers who reconnect in the California desert. As I molt into an eldergay myself, it really spoke to me.

by Anonymousreply 360October 29, 2017 12:27 PM

I Love Them Both

by Anonymousreply 361February 9, 2018 10:28 PM

Maurice.

by Anonymousreply 362February 9, 2018 10:31 PM

Gods and Monsters

by Anonymousreply 363February 9, 2018 11:03 PM

The Living End - totally captured early -90s AIDS era nihilism as I experienced it

by Anonymousreply 364February 9, 2018 11:46 PM

Speaking of, does anyone know why it's so hard to find Gregg Araki's movies? Nowhere was never even released on DVD.

One would think someone would do some kind of Criterion-esque thing for New Queer Cinema.

by Anonymousreply 365February 9, 2018 11:49 PM

I suppose it’s a basic choice but the first movie that sprang to mind is DOG TAGS, which incredibly is 10 years old this year. I’ve seen it a dozen times and continue to enjoy it for its clean simplicity and open storytelling, as well as its appealing lead characters and period details (if we can consider the mid-late 00s ‘period’ yet..)

DOG TAGS is best-described as a slowcore indie drama, with languorous intensity and a natural earnest sweetness that cocoons without cloying. It comes from TLA, the same imprint that released the DL’s favourite Mormon drama LATTER DAYS and feels similar in style but not in tone; where LD is scattershot and melodramatic, DT is meandering and quietly moves through acts. The acting in DOG TAGS is excellent, and although the cinematography is at times formulaic the viewer is still drawn in.

DOG TAGS boils down to the romantic escapade of two lonely young guys who have temporarily lost their way in life; mostly-straight Nate the reluctant soldier, and gay Andy the reluctant new father. They meet quite by accident and take a road trip together on a whim, baby and all their combined emotional baggage in tow. It’s hard to say if they fall in love but they do become intimate and share something real for an all-too-brief time. The ending of their story is ambiguous given the wider context of the time it was shot and the recently changing view of male sexuality.

It won’t ever deserve an Independent Spirit award, but I think a reappraisal is in order.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366February 10, 2018 12:29 AM

Head On , (with Alex Dimitriades in lead role).

by Anonymousreply 367February 10, 2018 5:10 AM

Before Night Falls, Weekend, Moonlight

by Anonymousreply 368February 10, 2018 5:40 AM

The top notch ultimate list:

1. Call Me By about Name 2. Broke back Mountain 3. Shelter 4. Free Fall 5. Yossi & Jagger 6. Burnt Money 7. Farewell My Concubine 8. We Were some Man 9. Midnight Cowboy 10. To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything 11. Happy Together 12. The Birdcage 13. Milk 14. Before Night Falls 15. The Wedding Banquet

by Anonymousreply 369February 10, 2018 6:00 AM

Sorry God’s Own Country should be #5

by Anonymousreply 370February 10, 2018 6:02 AM

"Death in Venice" is stunningly beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371February 10, 2018 8:01 AM

Lianna

The Hunger (guilty pleasure)

Beautiful Laundrette

Gods and Monsters

Mysterious Skin

These films are beautifully written and acted and are about whole worlds, not just the gay experience.

by Anonymousreply 372February 10, 2018 8:32 AM

R348, that was "Brideshead Revisited. "

by Anonymousreply 373February 10, 2018 8:39 AM

"Closet Monster" It really conjured up a lot of what I was thinking about in my youth. You can stream it on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 374February 10, 2018 8:54 AM

Sugar is great.

by Anonymousreply 375February 10, 2018 10:26 PM

Just rented Center of My World on amazon and damn, it was really good. Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 376February 11, 2018 12:04 AM

I really hope Marco Berger considers a sequel for Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 377February 12, 2018 1:01 PM

r348 Sounds like London Spy, with Ben Whishaw.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378February 12, 2018 1:21 PM

Steel

by Anonymousreply 379February 12, 2018 1:33 PM

R369 is anti-Aussie!

by Anonymousreply 380February 12, 2018 1:52 PM

I have to chose two:

To Wong Fu, With Love, Julie Newmar

and

Brokeback Mountain

by Anonymousreply 381February 12, 2018 1:52 PM

Not a great movie, but the relatively recent Fair Haven is pretty good - about a farm boy, returning from a forced stay at a gay conversion therapy camp, struggling to reconcile the reaction of his homophobic father with feelings he still has for his ex-BF.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382February 12, 2018 1:55 PM

Palace of Fun

by Anonymousreply 383February 24, 2018 10:54 AM

Wow. I'm stumped. Honestly, gay movies usually seem to be about some enormous, surpressed'opposed love, and get kind of trite for me.

Maybe....Verhoeven's THE 4TH MAN? It's very funny.

by Anonymousreply 384February 24, 2018 11:02 AM

Tropical Malady

by Anonymousreply 385February 24, 2018 7:00 PM

Frantz

by Anonymousreply 386February 26, 2018 10:03 AM

This "Frantz," r386?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387February 26, 2018 10:07 AM

R376 It destroyed me.

by Anonymousreply 388February 26, 2018 10:09 AM

R376 Nicholas has a different ending in the book

by Anonymousreply 389February 26, 2018 10:10 AM

[bold] GOD'S OWN FUCKING COUNTRY

by Anonymousreply 390February 26, 2018 10:11 AM

Parting Glances Brideshead Revisted PBS/BBC version Maurice Longtime Companion Song of the Loon

It's My Party is ruined by the ham fisted acting of Lee Grant. How did this woman ever win acting awards?

by Anonymousreply 391February 26, 2018 10:26 AM

[quote]Lee Grant. How did this woman ever win acting awards?

I liked her in Shampoo.

by Anonymousreply 392February 26, 2018 10:28 AM

I saw HENRY GAMBLE'S BIRTHDAY PARTY last night. OK ensemble piece - the general quality of the acting is quite good (mostly Chicago theater actors) - the woman who played Henry's mother was the best of the lot. The guy who plays Steve on STRANGER THINGS has a supporting role as one of Henry's friends. What ticked me off is the ending. There's one scene of hetero sex but not event a gay kiss.

LILTING is very good, and Ben Wishaw is very fine in pretty much anything he does.

HANDSOME DEVIL is what I'd call GET REAL-light. It's perfectly pleasant and the leading character has some nice acerbic moments.

by Anonymousreply 393February 26, 2018 8:34 PM

Brother and Sister

by Anonymousreply 394March 18, 2018 5:55 PM

[bold] SLUT.

by Anonymousreply 395March 18, 2018 5:57 PM

Change of Life

by Anonymousreply 396April 1, 2018 4:22 PM

MARIO

New Swiss movie. Looks good!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397April 1, 2018 4:52 PM

Soundless Wind Chimes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398April 3, 2018 1:16 PM

Another Country - 1984. (British) starring Rupert Everett, Colin FIrth.

The early life of Guy Burgess, who is famous for his defection to the Soviet Union. Not necessarily a "gay movie" but certainly contained a lot of gay content due to the protagonist's homosexuality. It's a lush, well-made movie and worth seeing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399April 3, 2018 2:50 PM

I always enjoy a movie about lushes.

by Anonymousreply 400April 3, 2018 6:13 PM

Absolutely a gay movie IMO, R399.

by Anonymousreply 401April 3, 2018 6:25 PM

R236 if you like Yaoi and know the genre well, check out the parody movie DOCCHI MO DOCCHI.

It stars BL originator & stalwart Kotani Yoshikazu, playing against type this time as a sadistic genius. All the typical BL cliches are lampooned in the movie, from the title cards and screamed dialogue/lame acting to the dramatic close-cuts and angsty musical interludes. I cackled all the way through. The only letdown is the lack of intimate or sexual scenes, and the rape jokes which were too tasteless to be funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402April 8, 2018 1:59 PM

^^the part where the main guy was playing all the different orchestral instruments to release frustration🤣🤣😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 403April 11, 2018 9:48 AM

Agree with r339. Talky gay movies are boring with the same ole' gay angst and might show a quick glimpse of ass but that's not what I want to see in gay movies. I want to see some realistic frontal nudity and romance and an interesting story.

by Anonymousreply 404April 11, 2018 10:01 AM

PREIST (1994) starring Linus Roache, who's now on HOMELAND

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405April 11, 2018 10:32 AM

Fat Girls

by Anonymousreply 406April 15, 2018 9:07 AM

Moonlight

by Anonymousreply 407April 15, 2018 10:36 AM

Though I love Timothee, and I thought CMBYN was lovely, I preferred the happy ending of GOC. And Josh O'Connor's dong.

by Anonymousreply 408April 15, 2018 11:20 AM

Gigil

by Anonymousreply 409April 15, 2018 2:52 PM

Dating My Mother

by Anonymousreply 410May 13, 2018 8:40 AM

David's Birthday

by Anonymousreply 411May 13, 2018 8:41 AM

Working Beks

by Anonymousreply 412May 13, 2018 8:45 AM

pecs?

by Anonymousreply 413May 13, 2018 8:51 AM

The Sum of Us

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414May 13, 2018 8:56 AM

Head On

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415May 13, 2018 8:57 AM

No R413

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416May 13, 2018 9:05 AM

^^ Has a 2.7 rating at imdb

Are you in it, or something?

by Anonymousreply 417May 13, 2018 10:10 AM

It will not be GBF, currently available on Amazon Prime. Poor Taylor Frey. I like him so much. I wish he could get better work.

by Anonymousreply 418May 13, 2018 10:35 AM

Everyone knows Parting Glances is the best gay film.

by Anonymousreply 419May 13, 2018 1:40 PM

White Frog

by Anonymousreply 420May 23, 2018 11:59 AM

Bridegroom, documentary on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 421May 23, 2018 4:48 PM

2C2BF

by Anonymousreply 422May 25, 2018 9:31 PM

If you read it the right way, all three parts of THE KARATE KID.

by Anonymousreply 423May 29, 2018 6:39 PM

Solo

by Anonymousreply 424June 10, 2018 8:34 PM

Velvet Goldmine gets my vote

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425June 10, 2018 8:59 PM

Do you mean ‘Gigli’ r409? Or American Gigolo?

by Anonymousreply 426June 10, 2018 9:19 PM

R426

Gigil: Would-be groom Don jilts his fiancée, China, at the altar after realizing that he's gay. To mend her broken heart, China washes her hands of men and sets off on a holiday to picturesque

by Anonymousreply 427June 10, 2018 9:28 PM

Longtime companion was dogshite. 45 mins in and the second they starting showing any intimacy between two gay characters they just had to pan out and show us a random pair of window tits for no reason. I was put off so didn't bother with the rest. Seems to be the theme with a lot of these dated "gay" movies where if they show any type of homosexual intimacy they always follow up by showing something hetero-centric, i.e hetero sex, female anatomy... idk if this is a trope but I'm sick of these lowkey homophobic wankbastard movies.

Recommend Theo and Hugo, Private Romeo, Edge of Seventeen (1998), 120 Beats per Minute, Birdcage.

by Anonymousreply 428June 10, 2018 11:09 PM

Latter Days.

It's low-budget indie, but … few gay movies have moved me more.

by Anonymousreply 429June 10, 2018 11:14 PM

Peters Twins in Taboo. The twins do each other for real.

by Anonymousreply 430June 10, 2018 11:34 PM

Maurice

Another Country

Death in Venice

by Anonymousreply 431June 11, 2018 12:55 AM

I've made my feelings known.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432June 11, 2018 1:05 AM

My Beautiful Laundrette

by Anonymousreply 433June 11, 2018 1:16 AM

For the fantasy ending: "Beautiful Thing" (takes a while to get used to the cockney accents though)

For the more realistic ending: "Get Real"

by Anonymousreply 434June 11, 2018 7:28 AM

Bisexual Russian film 'You I love'. The trailer looks cheesy but I promise it's a really sweet and funny movie with a sort of happy ending. You can find the entire movie in parts on youtube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435June 11, 2018 11:44 AM

Part 1 of 9 w/ subs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436June 11, 2018 11:48 AM

Was 1/3 of the way through 2018 Dutch made-for-tv-movie "Just Friends" at youtube, but the copy with English subtitles was just removed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437June 14, 2018 11:40 PM

Tremulo

by Anonymousreply 438June 16, 2018 5:41 AM

Method

by Anonymousreply 439July 27, 2018 3:44 AM

Just watched "God's Own Country" on Netflix. Some of their gay themed movies are crap, but this one was good. All of the main characters were believable and the acting was good.

by Anonymousreply 440July 27, 2018 10:34 AM

R429 Bitch, please. You just like the eye candy. Because there are far more moving, touching gay films than Latter Days.

by Anonymousreply 441July 27, 2018 10:46 AM

No, really, there aren't. Latter Days did have eye-candy, and it did suffer from a low budget, but it's an amazing and emotional movie that I found more affecting than almost any other.

by Anonymousreply 442July 27, 2018 1:41 PM

Well, if that's your experience, then who am I to refute it. But, I would check out the decade and a half of gay films since that movie came out for something better.

by Anonymousreply 443July 27, 2018 11:03 PM

Caio

by Anonymousreply 444July 28, 2018 3:00 AM

Saw an interesting movie called "The Strange Ones" starring Alex Pettyfer. I don't want to give much away because it's a suspense movie, but I found it entertaining. It's a drama that follows two guys travelling around and we learn more about them. I can say you should avoid if you're looking for puppies and rainbows and happy endings. *I found this on a torrent site - not sure where else it can be found

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445August 29, 2018 3:17 PM

Kenneth Anger movies are classics. See all of them. They are on YouTube. There's a good bio of him called "Anger" good read

by Anonymousreply 446August 29, 2018 3:20 PM

R445 $3.99 to rent on Amazon. The trailer does not reveal why you posted it in a thread about gay movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447August 29, 2018 3:56 PM

I don't want to give much away, as it may lessen the impact of the story, but there is gay content.

by Anonymousreply 448August 29, 2018 5:29 PM

Scenes of a sexual nature

by Anonymousreply 449August 30, 2018 1:49 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450September 6, 2018 8:16 AM

The Killing of Sister George - no film has ever captured the lesbian experience so powerfully. The bull, the doll and the predator.

by Anonymousreply 451September 6, 2018 8:29 AM

Sodom

by Anonymousreply 452September 7, 2018 1:14 AM

"Longtime Companion. I think it was the first feature film to deal with AIDS. Some of the scenes are still like a punch in the gut. John lying in a hospital bed, hooked up to machines in order to breathe, alone and terrified. David imploring his dying lover Sean to "Let go. Just relax. Let everything go. Just let go. Let go. I know you're tired. Just let go." And the ending. I've been watching it recently. It's still a stunner.

by Anonymousreply 453September 7, 2018 1:36 AM

THE KILLER CONDOM

Hilarious camp with stereotype-defying lead character and his sexy boyfriend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454September 7, 2018 2:10 AM

I loved loved loved Stranger at the Lake. So pissed they took it off Netflix. And I loved CMBYN.

by Anonymousreply 455September 9, 2018 1:07 AM

Taxi Zum Klo

A rough-around-the-edges German film with a subversive sense of humor.

I like it because it's not about 20-something pretty boys. It represents people you don't always see in gay films. And the lead actor is a trip. Not a perfect film by any means. But it's refreshing if you only watch movies about gorgeous upscale American homos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456September 9, 2018 1:32 AM

I love that movie too! I actually had a revelation in that movie, in the scene where they piss on each other and I got a hard on. The first time I realized I was into WS.

by Anonymousreply 457September 9, 2018 1:35 AM

R457 - I was shocked when I saw that for the first time (I was only 18 at the time.) But fascinated at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 458September 9, 2018 1:39 AM

What I don't like about most gay movies is they all seem to all be about someone desperate to find a partner.

I guess most movies are sexual, and focus on romance in some way, but gay movies are almost invariably about some poor outsider finding a connection.

I did that when I was 16. Aren't there any other stories?

by Anonymousreply 459September 9, 2018 1:48 AM

"Dawson's 50-Load Weekend." Because nothing says gay eroticism quite like a meth whore drugged out of his mind moaning on a mattress while different men take turns plugging him impersonally while a counter onscreen ticks off their number.

by Anonymousreply 460September 9, 2018 1:49 AM

Gross, R457. I think I'll pass on that movie then. Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 461September 9, 2018 1:53 AM

I was not a huge fan of Longtime Companion. All the male characters except Bruce Davison's looked pretty much alike, and they were all well-to-do white Manhattan men in a clique and so they weren't so easily distinguished from one another.

I loved the final fantasy sequence, though. That was very moving.

by Anonymousreply 462September 9, 2018 2:00 AM

[quote] Wonder if you fine movie watchers can help me find a film I saw about a year ago: I'm 80% sure this was a British film - none of the actors are familiar to me. An all-male party is being held in someones home; most of the men are rough types, big gym muscles, leather, biker types. As time goes on, it's clear this is a sex party because the guys start pairing up and the drugs come out. There are scenes that are pretty hard core but this is not a porn film, and that's all I got. Thanks.

"Sarah, Plain and Tall."

You are welcome.

by Anonymousreply 463September 9, 2018 2:35 AM

Latter Days is still one of my favorites.

Maurice is good.

Mysterious Skin.

Love, Simon.

by Anonymousreply 464September 9, 2018 2:43 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465September 13, 2018 11:23 AM

Bi/Gay movie Schnick Schnack Schnuck

by Anonymousreply 466September 28, 2018 8:55 PM

The Apple Tree

by Anonymousreply 467October 4, 2018 5:37 AM

Another vote for Taxi Zum Klo.

by Anonymousreply 468October 4, 2018 5:53 AM

"Head On" with the gorgeous Alex Dimitriades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 469October 5, 2018 4:02 AM

Taxi zum Klo What? I’m a sucker for a happy ending.

by Anonymousreply 470October 5, 2018 4:24 AM

The poet and the boy

by Anonymousreply 471October 6, 2018 1:36 AM

I don't know if this was posted already, but The Lost Language of Cranes.

by Anonymousreply 472October 6, 2018 1:59 AM

R456 that boyfriend was so sweet. I wonder if he's still around. Ripploh is long gone.

"The Hanging Garden" is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 473October 6, 2018 2:53 AM

TZK, an amazing film, way ahead of it's time, and a total shocker to see in a mainstream mall theater in suburban atlanta in 1981, the boyfriend, beren broadrup was adorable. can't find anything about him after the 80's so don't know if he made it.

by Anonymousreply 474October 6, 2018 3:14 AM

women in love

sunday, bloody sunday

though technically, bi instead of gay

by Anonymousreply 475October 6, 2018 3:40 AM

the law of desire

one of aldomovar's first, with the young banderas getting fucked

by Anonymousreply 476October 6, 2018 3:43 AM

Even lovers get the blues has gay scenes

by Anonymousreply 477October 18, 2018 12:39 AM

Is R457 Ricky Martin?

by Anonymousreply 478October 22, 2018 5:39 PM

I loved Parting Glances so much when it came out. It's pretty dated now but it was the movie I needed to see at the time.

by Anonymousreply 479October 22, 2018 6:08 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480October 22, 2018 6:32 PM

Bwoy

by Anonymousreply 481October 29, 2018 6:16 AM

R479 I loved John Bolger in 'Parting Glances.' So fucking hot!

R480 Is this South Korea's answer to CMBYN? Looks a bit pervy.

R481 'bowy' is the most unintentionally hilarious movie EVER! "Whose your Jamaican pussy boy?" ROFL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482October 29, 2018 10:28 PM

Sorry, bwoy.

by Anonymousreply 483October 29, 2018 10:29 PM

Play The Devil

R482 I guess it could be some version of SK answer to CMBYN. All I know it's about an older somewhat depressed married man with a wife desperate to have a baby who I guess eventually gets involved with a younger man.

by Anonymousreply 484November 6, 2018 3:27 AM

Sobre Nós

by Anonymousreply 485November 6, 2018 5:18 AM

Where are you going Habibi?

by Anonymousreply 486November 9, 2018 8:44 AM

CALL ME BY YOUR NAME

best gay movie in the history of cinema.

by Anonymousreply 487November 9, 2018 9:07 AM

Yes my life was changed in a Christian way when I saw CMBYN.

It made me realize I was a real gay individual and that my mission in life was to

be a slave/butler for timmy….

in his name, we pray.

by Anonymousreply 488November 9, 2018 12:05 PM

Postcards from London

by Anonymousreply 489November 11, 2018 6:41 AM

Not necessarily a straight up gay movie but Dear Dad has a closeted gay father who eventually comes out of the closet to his son.

by Anonymousreply 490November 12, 2018 8:32 AM

There was some movie although not a gay movie that has a gay subplot storyline with one of the gay characters played by Josh Stamberg.

by Anonymousreply 491November 20, 2018 2:38 AM

Point Break

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492November 20, 2018 2:42 AM

The Wedding

by Anonymousreply 493November 20, 2018 5:36 AM

What was the name of the late sixties or 1970s movie about a gay footballer whose younger lover trains him to get into shape? Set in California. May have been a telemovie and was quite daringly themed for its time.

by Anonymousreply 494December 6, 2018 11:31 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 495December 6, 2018 12:05 PM

Latin Boys Go to Hell

by Anonymousreply 496December 7, 2018 8:11 PM

A film from the Philippines called Midnight Dancers.

It's Visconti's "Rocco and His Brothers" with all the brothers being rough trade hustlers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 497December 7, 2018 8:37 PM

"A Moment in the Reeds" (2018) is now available on Vimeo on Demand.

[quote] Having moved to Paris for university, Leevi returns to his native Finland for the summer to help his estranged father renovate the family lake house. Tareq, a recent asylum seeker from Syria, has been hired to help with the work, and when Leevi's father has to return to town on business, the two young men establish a connection in the heat of the Finnish summer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498December 8, 2018 2:44 AM

"Out in the Dark"

[quote] Los Angeles-based, USC-trained Israeli director Michael Mayer makes a gripping feature debut with Out in the Dark, a troubled gay love story between a privileged Tel Aviv lawyer and a Palestinian student that is by turns tender and tense, sensual and suspenseful. In Mayer’s assured hands, a drama that could easily have become schematic instead pulses with urgency, longing and raw feeling, morphing smoothly in its final third into a lean thriller.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499December 14, 2018 10:19 AM

The Killing of sister George

A post-modern masterpiece before its time. Camp, self-reflexive, dark, scurrilous, laugh-out-loud funny, touching, depressing and giddy. And the way it deals with hompia in turns perpetrating disturbing tropes and stereotypes and then undercutting and upending them with irony. I don’t know why it isn’t yet recognised as one of the greatest

by Anonymousreply 500December 14, 2018 10:30 AM

...deals with homophobia*

by Anonymousreply 501December 14, 2018 10:31 AM

I’m a huge fan of André Téchiné. Wild Reeds remains one of my favorite movies. Being 17 is a very close second. The actors are great. The story is excellent. The scenery is amazing. It makes me want to visit Bagnères-de-Luchon.

by Anonymousreply 502December 14, 2018 11:11 AM

The Male Gaze: First Kiss

by Anonymousreply 503December 15, 2018 7:43 PM

Hot Guys with Guns

by Anonymousreply 504December 15, 2018 9:58 PM

Juste une question d'amour

by Anonymousreply 505December 16, 2018 12:02 AM

My life with James Dean

by Anonymousreply 506December 16, 2018 12:36 AM

What's the French film about a gay/bi assassin / serial killer (?) He has a shaved head. Maybe from around 1990?

by Anonymousreply 507December 16, 2018 1:48 AM

‘Moonlight’ and ‘Hawaii’ are the two best I’ve seen. Stunning art, both.

by Anonymousreply 508December 16, 2018 1:57 AM

Latter days is actually Gorgeous.....its so sweet beyond belief...watch it...and it has the iconic Jacqueline Bisset in it....

by Anonymousreply 509December 16, 2018 2:02 AM

Latter Days is obvious low budget, but it's one of my favorites. A fairy tale for gay men. I found to so moving.

by Anonymousreply 510December 16, 2018 2:11 AM

what does "bump" mean.

by Anonymousreply 511December 16, 2018 2:20 AM

R509 - I find myself watching Latter Days over and over. I always cry during the last scene in the restaurant. The scene at SLC airport also gets me. Great movie.

Shelter is also amazing.

by Anonymousreply 512December 16, 2018 2:25 AM

[quote] r509 Latter Days...has the iconic Jacqueline Bisset in it...

The young Jacqueline Bisset was incredibly beautiful.

Costume designer Edith Head, who saw about EVERYONE naked, also said she had "one of the great bodies of all time."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513December 16, 2018 2:40 AM

Maurice

by Anonymousreply 514December 16, 2018 4:27 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515December 18, 2018 1:11 AM

You Can't Curry Love.

You get 2 gorgeous Indian guys and a travelogue in one movie, plus the title make me laugh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516December 18, 2018 1:22 AM

Foreign Relations

by Anonymousreply 517December 18, 2018 5:24 PM

Fyra år till

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518December 18, 2018 6:06 PM

We the Animals (2018)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519December 19, 2018 12:59 AM

That movie about the supposed straight married man whose wife dies in a horrible car crash. Then part of the wife's memories and feelings are somehow transferred into a gay guy who had a near death experience on the same day she died and the dead wife's spirit pushes the gay guy and her lonely husband into a relationship.

by Anonymousreply 520December 23, 2018 6:13 AM

Sorry, Angel : a French movie by the same director who made Love Songs. Truly beatiful one!!

by Anonymousreply 521December 23, 2018 8:23 AM

Here’s the trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522December 23, 2018 8:33 AM

Masterpiece it is not..but the first Kray film with the Spandau boys had a big impact on me. First tome I saw depicted a gay man’s masculinity and dominance could be respected and even feared by straight underlings . This was a major departure from the mincing caricatures of the 70s and 80s

by Anonymousreply 523December 23, 2018 8:35 AM

A kiss in the snow

by Anonymousreply 524December 24, 2018 1:23 AM

More bi-ish but the movie where the wife and husband who are having marriage problems both end up fucking with same man but don't know it at first.

by Anonymousreply 525December 25, 2018 1:28 AM

I just watched Those People, and liked it. Favorite, I don't know, but I liked it. Jonathan Gordon is particularly appealing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526December 25, 2018 1:36 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527January 10, 2019 1:08 AM

That movie where a woman learns that different boyfriends she has had each turn out to be gay including her first boyfriend who eventually became her bff and business partner. Which makes her feel that she has bad luck with picking men to date and later on tries to prove that a new man is also another closet case like her previous boyfriends.

by Anonymousreply 528January 15, 2019 2:59 AM

Le Ciel Sur La Tete. Pokes fun at the way straight people perceive gays. Chantal Ladesou is hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 529January 15, 2019 3:07 AM

Uggh r516, the premise sounds interesting enough but the title sounds patronizing and is enough to put me off from watching it.

by Anonymousreply 530January 15, 2019 3:14 AM

@R530 . You Can't Curry Love is a 23 minute short and is available for free on Youtube. It's funny , endearing and not the least bit patronizing.

by Anonymousreply 531January 15, 2019 12:15 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532January 24, 2019 2:10 AM

Marcelo

by Anonymousreply 533January 31, 2019 8:56 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534February 9, 2019 1:37 PM

Don't remember the name but that Indian movie which is supposedly based off real events. Where a college professor gets fired the university he works at because he is accused of and charged with being gay.

by Anonymousreply 535February 11, 2019 4:33 AM

My Life With James Dean

by Anonymousreply 536February 16, 2019 5:22 AM

The Celluloid Closet. Fantastic documentary.

by Anonymousreply 537February 16, 2019 6:39 AM

Echte Kerle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538February 23, 2019 10:23 AM

Just caught the 1965 movie "The Hill" on TCM -- not a gay movie but it had some interesting gay content for a 60's film.

It stars Sean Connery and follows soldiers who have been sent to a WW II British prison facility in the North African desert for various infractions. It's called 'The Hill' because the major in charge has erected a hill out of sand that he uses to toughen/punish prisoners who he feels are soft or need an attitude adjustment. He assigns offenders to climb this hill over and over, in the hot desert sun, in full packs. Men faint, hallucination, get heat stroke, etc.

There is a prisoner (Stevens) who the staff jump on right away, insinuating that this married man is queer. Stevens gets really harsh treatment and is subjected to ridicule and extra duties. Stevens eventually dies from all of this and the camp leaders debate how to cover it up.

There is also an insinuation that the camp doctor is gay. His examination of new prisoners consists of having them drop their pants and looking at their crotch... and that's the whole exam.

by Anonymousreply 539June 29, 2019 4:40 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540October 20, 2019 11:23 AM

End of the Century

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541October 20, 2019 2:11 PM

Has anyone else seen the movie "In a Shallow Grave" starring Patrick Dempsey and Michael Biehn? I loved this film when I saw it many years ago on PBS. It's a strange little tale of a WWII vet named Garnett (Biehn) living alone on a farm in the south, hiding from the world because of severe facial burns/slight mobility issues he got in battle. He writes an ad seeking a butler/aide and one day young Daventry (Dempsey) turns up.

They develop a strange relationship - Garnett hates being dependent and bullies Daventry, who takes the abuse with gentleness and understanding. As the movie progresses, you start to feel that there is something building between these men, even though Garnett has a fiancee who he loves but has stayed away from because he feels too ugly/damaged. There are so many scenes of them having intense conversations and lingering caresses as Daventry tends to Garnett when he has pain. Then we find out Daventry has his own issues, and Garnett reciprocates their bond. Both of these actors are great, and Dempsey really comes across as in love with his benefactor, he is so intensely focused on him. Unfortunately, this does not have a happy ending.

It's a shame this movie is so hard to find.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542May 29, 2020 6:03 PM

The greatest gay movie ever is Call Me By Your Name, starring the gayest of male beauty ever, Timothee Chalamet!

by Anonymousreply 543May 29, 2020 6:21 PM

Seek out Marco Berger's latest, The Blonde One

by Anonymousreply 544May 29, 2020 6:40 PM

Any of these.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545May 29, 2020 6:56 PM

Interesting to go back and read this thread. Shelter is one of my favorites and I don't think I had seen it when mentioned up thread. I bought Shelter on Amazon so I can stream when the mood hits. Another one of my recent favorites that I see mentioned in a more recent post is Is it Just Me and is streaming currently on Tubi. One I did not see above and I admit it took a couple to times trying to watch before liking it was eCupid. It is currently streaming on both Amazon and Tubi. A couple others not mentioned are John Apple Jack and 10 Year Plan - both are on Tubi and I think I have seen them on Amazon. Check out Tubi if you haven't already - about 200 lgbtq titles are available.

by Anonymousreply 546May 29, 2020 7:24 PM

Goodbye Mother

Henry Golding's gay movie I believe comes out next month.

by Anonymousreply 547October 9, 2020 9:19 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548October 19, 2020 8:46 AM

[quote] No, really, there aren't.

yes there are, like never before. Update your cable at you nursing home.

by Anonymousreply 549October 19, 2020 9:32 AM

[quote] Head On, the Australian movie about a young guy dealing with being both gay and a Greek immigrant is wonderfully done.

This was the first gay movie I watched that I wanted to punch the director. So self loathing and full of hate, what a waste of time. So many gay films mentioned here are sad and pointless and Ive worked for a Gay festival for many years so I've seen gay films from all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 550October 19, 2020 9:43 AM

C.R.A.Z.Y by Jean-Marc Vallée.

I second Shelter, Juste une Question D'amour and God's Own country too. I'd add The Way He Looks from Brazil if you're up for some teen fantasy with a blind gay kid.

btw Shelter cold have been my love life's biography.

by Anonymousreply 551October 19, 2020 9:48 AM

Beautiful Thing. It was so meaningful to me.

by Anonymousreply 552October 19, 2020 9:50 AM

Don't remember the name of the movie but it's about a brother and sister along with their Ill mother and a handsome man who at first seems as though he may be interested in the sister. The sister is interested in him but instead the handsome man takes an interest in her gay twink brother. The handsome man begins to convince the naive gay twink brother to start dressing as a woman. The handsome man eventually proclaims to love the gay twink brother and wants to be with him but only when he is dressed as woman and proclaims that he is not into men.

by Anonymousreply 553November 2, 2020 7:03 AM

There's a short film about an closeted Indonesian gay twink who is being pressured into marrying a girl and becoming a "man" but secretly he has crush on his young English language teacher from America.

by Anonymousreply 554November 7, 2020 11:18 PM

Dating Amber a movie about a closeted teen lesbian and a gay twink who decide to beard for each.

by Anonymousreply 555November 9, 2020 10:25 AM

Far from being the best, but this movie (Hamam, Il bagno turco) from 20 years ago just occurred to me now. I vaguely remember that I liked it for its slow tempo, a little bit of exotic flare, simplicity, subtle beauty and mostly for total lack of customary gay drama. Did anyone else see it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556November 9, 2020 9:53 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 557December 29, 2020 3:36 AM

L.I.E.

by Anonymousreply 558December 29, 2020 4:31 AM

Consequences.

by Anonymousreply 559December 29, 2020 7:29 PM

Red River (1948) Howard Harks-directed movie starring John Wayne and Montgomery Clift.

A study in homoeroticism in spurs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 560December 29, 2020 7:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!