Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has anyone noticed a decline in Datalounge?

For the past couple of months, I sort of came and went, and every time I came back, Datalounge less crowded than it did before. Originally I thought it was my threads only, but then I look around and threads in general are not moving as fast as they used to a year ago. I searched more than one site on Datalounge site traffic and it's actually going up. So if the traffic is going up then why has the activity gone down? Or are there an influx of posters who stick to only to the celebrity (and to A celebrity) threads? Anyone provide an explanation to this phenomenon of site traffic going up yet site activity going down?

by Anonymousreply 353March 17, 2021 8:10 AM

All the political stuff is ruining it. It's no fun any more.

by Anonymousreply 1March 5, 2016 12:08 AM

We've all blocked so many people with this new DL that it is hard to get a discussion going nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 2March 5, 2016 12:10 AM

Yes, I noticed this as well. I think it is the new posting rules. I wasn't able to post at all without a paid subscription, and I still cannot create new threads.

Also, the new layout - where topics are one continuous thread not broken into separate pages - could be better. It takes a long time to scroll through several hundred old posts to reach the newest replies.

by Anonymousreply 3March 5, 2016 12:10 AM

No House of Cards new season thread, for example.

by Anonymousreply 4March 5, 2016 12:14 AM

The Lee Radziwill thread is pretty happening.

by Anonymousreply 5March 5, 2016 12:23 AM

R3, See two arrows at bottom beside reply, take the arrow closest to the right. That's how you reach the end of the thread in no time.

by Anonymousreply 6March 5, 2016 12:23 AM

It's strange that no one has mentioned this before.

by Anonymousreply 7March 5, 2016 12:23 AM

I think part of the reason site traffic is going up is technology. People browse the site using different platforms, I use a phone, tablet and desktop so that counts as three unique visitors, but... I also use four different broswers on my phone, two on my desktop and three on the tablet and they all register differently so I end up equalling NINE unique visitors, plus, I clear my cookies regularly.

I took a break from DL for a few months and returned last month, but the site just isn't the same. I pretty much stick to Reddit now.

by Anonymousreply 8March 5, 2016 12:26 AM

Traffic went way down because now you can't post here unless you pay, or unless you never clear your cookies (which my browser automatically does)

by Anonymousreply 9March 5, 2016 12:29 AM

I also took a break just to depressing. Slow and nasty. The zing was gone. Witty snark had been replaced with just trolls and garbage posts.

I propose a solution: we all unblock the trolls if they promise to bring the fun back and lay off the repetitive attacks on people's race and creed.

That shit just isn't funny or entertaining. If we wanted that, we would go to dark depressing evil sites on the web.

by Anonymousreply 10March 5, 2016 12:31 AM

R6: thanks!

by Anonymousreply 11March 5, 2016 12:32 AM

One last thought about traffic increasing

Switching between private wi-fi, public wi-fi and Sprint's LTE network are all counted differently and impact the user count as well - IP addresses are constantly changing. If DL required a login the numbers would probably be different.

by Anonymousreply 12March 5, 2016 12:32 AM

It's almost ok to be a tad trolly on here if you have a good, fun gimmick.

But the terrible "this type of person is disgusting" thing is so overdone. If it doesn't change I will block this site again on my browser.

And don't get me started on this right wing infestation. Why would they want to be here?

Go back to freepville, already

by Anonymousreply 13March 5, 2016 12:35 AM

I don't think you have to be a paying member to post or start a new thread. I'm not a member and I can do it.

by Anonymousreply 14March 5, 2016 12:36 AM

It is the new site. It was way better before but the powers that be refused to change it back. I guess the people who threatened to leave actually did.

by Anonymousreply 15March 5, 2016 12:37 AM

President Trump will fix it!

by Anonymousreply 16March 5, 2016 12:40 AM

Yeah, The Donald is gonna fix Muriel's wagon good!

by Anonymousreply 17March 5, 2016 12:41 AM

The new format is not as user friendly.

by Anonymousreply 18March 5, 2016 12:55 AM

Is it possible for someone to start a new site using the old format? for all the REAL DLRS.

by Anonymousreply 19March 5, 2016 12:58 AM

[quote] Is it possible for someone to start a new site using the old format? for all the REAL DLRS

I'm quite sure Mediapolis owns the format. Is there a good platform for a new site/forum however?

by Anonymousreply 20March 5, 2016 1:02 AM

Almost all message boards everywhere are in decline. They're out of vogue.

by Anonymousreply 21March 5, 2016 1:04 AM

I also thank you, R6, never noticed that before.

by Anonymousreply 22March 5, 2016 1:05 AM

R3, press F5 to refresh the page. The newest posts will be at the top.

by Anonymousreply 23March 5, 2016 1:09 AM

It's a combination of a lot of things but for me the last straw was the terrible new format. I used to check in here daily but now sometimes I'll go a week or more and I don't miss it.

by Anonymousreply 24March 5, 2016 1:11 AM

I figured out how to block websites on my phone that are no good. I still go to them out of habit and boredom, but by blocking them, it retrains my brain.

This site was absolutely amazing in its prime. I will always have the memories and wisdom gained.

Onward and outward...

by Anonymousreply 25March 5, 2016 1:14 AM

I used to visit the site pretty regularly but I don't so often anymore The new site is not scalable so, for me, it is very hard to read on my iPad mini or my phone. Most sites are scalable. I don't know why DL didn't make it so.

by Anonymousreply 26March 5, 2016 2:55 AM

What I hate about this new format is that the settings don't keep on your phone when you move to a new wifi. So not only can't you post, but you risk getting dick pics and other inappropriate stuff when you look at DL in a public place.

by Anonymousreply 27March 5, 2016 3:04 AM

We've had this new format for a while now and it still is no where as good as the old one.

The old one was so much easier to navigate and read which for some reason made the snark so much better.

What made the smart, hilarious posters suddenly disappear?

by Anonymousreply 28March 5, 2016 3:05 AM

I liked the old format because it was so clean and simple. Also, if I was reading DL at work and someone happened to come over to my desk, it wasn't immediately apparent what I was doing. The old DL was ambiguous. The new DL totally looks like "I'm fucking off at work."

I think that's why a lot of people don't post as much anymore.

by Anonymousreply 29March 5, 2016 3:08 AM

R29, I liked it like that too. The old DL had a real professional look to it. With no pics showing which I liked.

by Anonymousreply 30March 5, 2016 3:09 AM

I used to spend an hour or two a night here. Now, maybe come here once or twice a week for a few minutes. It's just not the same DL. And yes - political threads are killing it. I couldn't give two shits about Drumpf or any of the other clown-car Republicans, but every second thread is about how one farted out some new nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 31March 5, 2016 3:12 AM

R31= Doesn't bother to vote.

by Anonymousreply 32March 5, 2016 3:22 AM

DL was a fun gay site, but now is a boring Jew site.

by Anonymousreply 33March 5, 2016 3:25 AM

There should just be an option to switch back to the old style. Why can't they do that?

by Anonymousreply 34March 5, 2016 3:52 AM

r34 Probably because they paid someone to fix something that wasn't broken and going back to the old site would mean they wasted a bunch of money.

by Anonymousreply 35March 5, 2016 3:55 AM

In the quality or the quantity?

by Anonymousreply 36March 5, 2016 4:02 AM

R35 Well this could still be the default. There would just be an option on the settings page for people who liked the old site. Most people would still end up using the new one. It would bring some of the old, good posters back though.

The other thing I don't understand is why Primetime is sometimes on in the middle of the night. 4:00am EST would still be 1:00 PST. Most people never posted at those times even when everyone could. I'm pretty sure more posters are on the East Coast anyway as I've noticed the site starts to "wake up" around 5 or 6 in the morning. The way it should work is that in general you have to pay to start threads. It would be cool if there were rare occasions when anyone could though. Primetime should mostly be done away with. Maybe it should be on if a thread is attracting a bunch of trolls who find the site in a search who then clog up a thread. At the least I wish there was some way to know when it'd be on, although I guess that misses the point. I'm thinking about just paying.

by Anonymousreply 37March 5, 2016 4:16 AM

[quote]What made the smart, hilarious posters suddenly disappear?

They're all on Twitter now.

by Anonymousreply 38March 5, 2016 4:43 AM

I think many have just accepted the fact that the old DL is never coming back so they left. It's Troll lounge now. And not the fun trolls who at least tried to be funny and attempted to entertain us. It's gotten so bad that trolls are trolling each other now. It's hard to accept but the DL of old is gone and most likely isn't coming back. I don't visit as much as I used to (daily at one point); I suppose that eventually not visiting the DL will become habit and normal. Couldn't last forever I guess.

Both r36.

by Anonymousreply 39March 5, 2016 5:23 AM

Years ago I used to check DL in the morning before going to work to catch up on the overnight postings; at lunch; and then when I got I'd spend several hours before going to bed. I could barely keep up then. Now I largely check the threads that have accumulated in the evening or at night when I get home. That's more than sufficient time to catch up.

by Anonymousreply 40March 5, 2016 5:29 AM

New threads were limited to paying posters after we were invaded by bots

by Anonymousreply 41March 5, 2016 5:32 AM

R33 and all like-minded anti-semitic pigs need to be made into bacon.

by Anonymousreply 42March 5, 2016 5:39 AM

The layout sucks. Everyone that has real gossip is never believed and chased out.

by Anonymousreply 43March 5, 2016 5:42 AM

DL's decline is because of cunts like R33.

by Anonymousreply 44March 5, 2016 5:54 AM

DL's decline is because of cunts like [R44].

by Anonymousreply 45March 5, 2016 5:58 AM

There was a very active, long thread on this topic last week, well over 300 posts. It seems to have disappeared, which leads to another problem with the site: the webmaster. He/she doesn't like criticism of the new format.

by Anonymousreply 46March 5, 2016 6:18 AM

I'm with all those who still miss the perfect old format. However, I stick around, because a lesser DL is better than no DL. There's just enough of the old spirit to make it worthwhile.

Also, much of the recent heyday is accessible on archive. (I was glad the other day to find a thread I thought long ago wiped.) So, there's inspiration enough to hand for a revival should the planets align.

We had a thread like this last week, similarly plaintive, and it disappeared. The new format dislikes being haunted by fond talk of the old format.

by Anonymousreply 47March 5, 2016 6:19 AM

Too much nasty politics.

by Anonymousreply 48March 5, 2016 6:23 AM

If we could have the old and new formats to choose from it would be more fun. I suspect some would use the old format but most would use the new one. At least we would have a choice and I think it would increase traffic. Dream on I guess.

by Anonymousreply 49March 5, 2016 6:25 AM

You all are supposed to be using those FB and Twitter buttons to the right of each post to reblog/retweet your favorite posts to attract more traffic to this site, but I bet most of you aren't doing it. Am I right?

by Anonymousreply 50March 5, 2016 6:28 AM

Atta girl, Muriel.

by Anonymousreply 51March 5, 2016 6:33 AM

Margaret was the drinker. Roz was the office snitch.

by Anonymousreply 52March 5, 2016 6:35 AM

We've misidentified her for years on DL. Too late to go back and fix it.

by Anonymousreply 53March 5, 2016 6:36 AM

I hate the new format. I thought I'd get used to it but I haven't. I've been on Reddit a lot more since DL changed over.

by Anonymousreply 54March 5, 2016 6:39 AM

[quote]The new site is not scalable so, for me, it is very hard to read on my iPad mini or my phone. Most sites are scalable. I don't know why DL didn't make it so.

I don't think you know what the word "scalable" means.

by Anonymousreply 55March 5, 2016 7:44 AM

I don't like Reddit because a lot of the posters think they're smart for repeating information they read somewhere else, even if that information is incorrect. It has a lot of average people who think they're highly intelligent, basically.

To make it clear, I don't think of myself as that smart. I know a lot about a few select topics and I research the shit out of them before I post stuff on the internet, or talk about them in regular conversation, as I don't like to spread around misinformation. I don't pretend to know about the majority of topics which I am ultimately uneducated about. I hate how people pretend now that they are experts on everything because they did a quick search on the internet and read a Yahoo Answer, or a Reddit comment, from a 15-year-old. Reddit is filled with that. Well, the internet is. Posters on Reddit are better though at presenting themselves as if they are smart which is the main issue. Maybe some of them ARE smart, just lazy. The fact is, there is a lot of incorrect info on Reddit on many topics, even topics I know barely anything about, so I can only guess that goes on about a lot of things. I don't know. I do feel like the DL suffers less from the "fake internet expert" problem than average. Unless the topic is something inflammatory that will attract comments from trolls who speak with Trump-level confidence in order to get people to agree with them.

by Anonymousreply 56March 5, 2016 9:11 AM

*a lot of things I know nothing about

by Anonymousreply 57March 5, 2016 9:14 AM

I also think the DL has had comments that were far funnier than anything I ever saw on Reddit.

by Anonymousreply 58March 5, 2016 9:15 AM

I really hope some smart, snarky posters start commenting around here again. It may be an old trope, but it really WAS better here a few years ago.

And I agree with r29 -- the old format in black and white was MUCH more office-friendly, so I didn't have to panic about someone coming up behind me and wondering why I'm on an obviously non-work-related website.

by Anonymousreply 59March 5, 2016 9:24 AM

Even the new trolls are giving up. Their obvious troll threads are getting fewer replies and the threads themselves are becoming less frequent.

This place always got crazy during a presidential election year, and the separate politics forum helped keep things in check. I easily have many more blocked threads than blocked posters. With the scarcity of gossip, it definitely is getting less enticing to wade through the bullshit posts to try to find something entertaining or interesting.

As soon as Muriel's flaming eye turns toward this thread, it will be gone. It feels like a temper tantrum on the part of the admin who doesn't like to be reminded of the faults with this new format.

by Anonymousreply 60March 5, 2016 9:36 AM

[quote]I propose a solution: we all unblock the trolls if they promise to bring the fun back and lay off the repetitive attacks on people's race and creed.

That's not going to happen, though. I routinely unblock people who have been on my list for a while, but inevitably as soon as I unblock a chunk, I see more "goyim" troll posts and more "the blacks ruin everything" troll posts and I realize they were blocked for a reason.

Too many regulars have left and I'd say a good 50% of our population is now the Breitbart / Stormfront / creepy Muslim urban legend crowd, with a heavy helping of the LSA and Websleuths crowd on the side.

by Anonymousreply 61March 5, 2016 9:38 AM

[quote]What made the smart, hilarious posters suddenly disappear?

Because it takes forever to get "karma" to post here now. When I changed computers I had to visit 10 times before I could post, and it had to be 10 separate times on one browser and IP, and not too close together either. So I couldn't come here at, say, 8PM, then again at 9PM, and have it count as 2 visits, it would only be one. Took over a week to be able to just reply to threads. I kept coming here out of habit because I forgot I didn't have enough karma; if I'd remembered I didn't have karma before clicking my bookmark, I never would have bothered visiting at all. I'm sure tons of others were the same way.

by Anonymousreply 62March 5, 2016 9:42 AM

R50, the FB button doesn't work. I've clicked it accidentally enough times to know.

by Anonymousreply 63March 5, 2016 9:45 AM

The thing I've noticed is a lot of smart ass Millennials with really nothing interesting or witty to say or contribute, but they love stirring up trouble with their pathetic little posts.

by Anonymousreply 64March 5, 2016 9:50 AM

True that, R64. They think they're speaking truth to power when they look like the online equivalent of homeless people shouting at the sky.

by Anonymousreply 65March 5, 2016 10:25 AM

[quote]I've been on Reddit a lot more since DL changed over.

Where on Reddit? I go there occasionally and click on the main page, news, controversial, trending, and gossip. Seems like I can scroll forever and not find one thing that's of interest to me. It's nothing like DL. Is there a Sub-Reddit that comes close to DL in content, wit and snark?

by Anonymousreply 66March 5, 2016 11:36 AM

DL was much better when there were separate venues for gossip, politics, and lesbians!

For some bizarre reason, and I've been on DL for over 10 years, I was not allowed to post in the live Oscars thread. I have no idea why that happened, but I immediately cancelled my subscription. It felt like a slap across the face. Watching the show was no fun after that; I turned it off.

You don't have to tell me twice, DL - I can take a hint.

by Anonymousreply 67March 5, 2016 11:57 AM

R67, it could have been a glitch. Don't be so quick to flounce.

by Anonymousreply 68March 5, 2016 12:09 PM

Glitches are far too common here to merit rewarding this site with a subscription. For example, if you choose to block a thread or the OP of a thread, that thread disappears from the main page list as expected, but it still shows up on the sidebar list of threads.

by Anonymousreply 69March 5, 2016 12:12 PM

'The thing I've noticed is a lot of smart ass Millennials with really nothing interesting or witty to say or contribute,'

This is true. So much of a thread is now full of banal drivel that adds nothing at all to the experience of being here.

I can easily live the rest of my life without reading another moron posting 'Wow. Just wow.' etc.

Be funny, be pertinent, be knowledgeable, or be quiet.

by Anonymousreply 70March 5, 2016 12:44 PM

R9, your browser clears cookies automatically because that option has been selected -- you can change that, probably in "settings".

by Anonymousreply 71March 5, 2016 12:53 PM

Re: R67, my karma here seems OK, and here I am typing to prove it. However very occasionally I get 'You are not entitled to post at this time', which is not fun, but then maybe next day all is hunky dory. I put it down to DL being moody and sulking sometimes, as if to say, Don't take all this for granted, cupcake.

by Anonymousreply 72March 5, 2016 1:02 PM

I read/post about 80% less than I used to. When they switched the format, the majority of people complained. While they made some tweaks based on responses, the main engine remained the same, and that was the problem. People were frustrated, threatened to leave, and no one took it seriously, but it happened. It's the beginning of the end.

At the time, I posted that it would be a slow decline. It wasn't as though the board would go from 300 threads a day to 0. It would go from 300 to 270, because there are fewer posters. With less content and fewer posters, it generates fewer responses, and it drops from 270 threads a day to 240... Generating even fewer responses. Then you're down to 200 threads a day, etc. etc. With less content, the quality dips too. That's how a message board dies (see: TWOP), where things decline gradually until a decision is made to pull the plug. That's the path we're on.

See you next week, although I'm sure this thread will be deleted.

by Anonymousreply 73March 5, 2016 2:22 PM

[quote]I don't think you know what the word "scalable" means.

I think it means

[quote]able to be changed in size or scale. "scalable fonts"

I know it also means 'climbable'. Funny thing is, I never knew the word for scaling the size until someone on DL used that term

by Anonymousreply 74March 5, 2016 2:27 PM

Then of course, there are those who want to see Datalounge "destroyed."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 5, 2016 2:51 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 5, 2016 2:52 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 5, 2016 2:55 PM

PROOF that hottie DON LEMON drops by here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78March 5, 2016 2:58 PM

R73 how much longer due you think the DL has?

by Anonymousreply 79March 5, 2016 2:58 PM

That poor soul quoted at R76 uses the word "herstory" unironically so his opinion can be safely ignored.

And I say that as the person who got everyone all pissy yesterday because I said DL could be sexist sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 80March 5, 2016 2:59 PM

More Don!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81March 5, 2016 2:59 PM

Damn, R78, I suspected but never knew. He's also @ing Milo in that tweet.

I'd say "the plot thickens" but it's pretty clear there's nothing thick between the two of them. Well, they're thick-headed, but not in the fun pejorative sense of the term.

by Anonymousreply 82March 5, 2016 3:01 PM

That's not Don Lemon.

That Milo and his trolls have destroyed this site. That's why it's so unfunny now, hateful, witless, pro-Trump, that "sjw" acronym everywhere...it's awful.

by Anonymousreply 83March 5, 2016 3:21 PM

Yes, never mind. That's a spoof account.

by Anonymousreply 84March 5, 2016 3:23 PM

Many of you bitches are becoming incredibly petty in your old age.

by Anonymousreply 85March 5, 2016 3:34 PM

R33 -

Oy vey!!

by Anonymousreply 86March 5, 2016 3:44 PM

That might not be his Twitter, but it's not far fetched to believe that a gay person in the media reads and/or posts here. In fact, it's probably a safe assumption to make.

by Anonymousreply 87March 5, 2016 3:52 PM

A spoof account that tweeted @ our little Fido, I mean Milo? That's gotta be Milo himself.

by Anonymousreply 88March 5, 2016 3:53 PM

I subscribed since 2006 and enjoyed reading and contributing to Datalounge but gave up when they reformatted and got rid of Datalounge legacy They took all the joy out of it Still searching for another forum any suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 89March 5, 2016 4:05 PM

I've been on DL for a while and the new format bothered me for like a month--if that long.

We've had plenty of time to get used to it. Is it still that big of an issue?

by Anonymousreply 90March 5, 2016 4:16 PM

This is at least the 3rd thread on this topic that I've responded to in the last 2 weeks and the others were deleted soon after. This one will be gone in 10.....9....8.....7

by Anonymousreply 91March 5, 2016 4:19 PM

[quote] Still searching for another forum any suggestions?

I'm curious about that too.

by Anonymousreply 92March 5, 2016 4:20 PM

R66, no, nothing comes close on Reddit to DL. And that's how much I hate the new format of DL that I'm willing to put up with Reddit's threads where 2/3 of the comments are nothing more than people trying to be funny.

by Anonymousreply 93March 5, 2016 4:29 PM

R90. Yes, the new format is still an issue when someone posts a question such as OP did: "Has anyone noticed a decline in Datalounge?"

This thread is trying to examine, figure out and offer reasons why things have declined. The new format has contributed greatly to this decline. Just because many of us have gotten used to the new format doesn't mean it hasn't damaged DL. It has. The new format is not particularly user-friendly; in fact, it's not friendly or inviting at all. And when you lose that element, you lose the wit, humor, desire and even bitchiness upon which DL has built its reputation and attracted participants.

We still come here, but that doesn't mean that it's as inviting as it once was--and that it couldn't or shouldn't be improved. And it's not that things can't change. But DL made a mistake with this new format. So it's not so much an "issue." But it is one of the reasons for the decline.

by Anonymousreply 94March 5, 2016 4:33 PM

There was a poster once who claimed they had to change stuff here. Some kind of legal issue about people posting nasty shit so instead of tracking them they created the ignore option. I can't remember exactly what was said. I don't see how that would have to do with the old vs new format of the site in general however.

by Anonymousreply 95March 5, 2016 4:37 PM

[quote] We still come here, but that doesn't mean that it's as inviting as it once was

Precisely. The elegance, minimalism and simplicity of the old format was what made it inviting. It was like a blank slate or canvas on which we could be the painters or actors. Now the format forces us to navigate and paint a certain way.

by Anonymousreply 96March 5, 2016 4:39 PM

[quote] There was a poster once who claimed they had to change stuff here. Some kind of legal issue about people posting nasty shit so instead of tracking them they created the ignore option. I can't remember exactly what was said. I don't see how that would have to do with the old vs new format of the site in general however.

I remember there was a claim made when Trolldar was instituted that it was an affront to the anonymity of the forum and that people could pursue claims if something occurred as a result. The thing that annoys me is that as a paying member the terms say DL would be ad free. Now I see Insticator ads among others.

by Anonymousreply 97March 5, 2016 4:43 PM

[quote]people could pursue claims

Someone spelled "pursue" correctly. Congratulations, R97.

by Anonymousreply 98March 5, 2016 4:46 PM

[quote] Someone spelled "pursue" correctly.

How else would one spell it?

by Anonymousreply 99March 5, 2016 4:53 PM

I'm guessing "persue."

by Anonymousreply 100March 5, 2016 4:54 PM

Is the DL refugee board still going? I used to visit there once in awhile if DL was down. I'm another DL'er whose been here almost from the start and I still visit every day but the change is obvious. Lots of anti-gay trolls, the "goyim" troll, and others have invaded. Tedious "my name is chris and I looking for date" types, etc. We had one the other night who was unhinged and screaming insults and invective at anyone who posted something he disagreed with. I usually block those guys but I wish I didn't have to. Gone are the "Dialing the Phone with a Pencil" and "There's a Possum in my Drawer" threads.

I miss the old authenticated posters and fondly remember Blue Agave, Shinjuku Baby, Magdalene and Torta. Hell, even the Stewart Swerdlow spam was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 101March 5, 2016 5:03 PM

[quote]Someone spelled "pursue" correctly.

[quote]How else would one spell it?

[quote]I'm guessing "persue."

Ding-ding-ding. Many times this week.

by Anonymousreply 102March 5, 2016 5:09 PM

Oh, and one other thing I've noticed is the horrible spelling and grammar creeping in. Some posts are almost unreadable and I have to wonder if they are jr. high students dropping in or foreigners with poor English. I'm hoping the latter.

by Anonymousreply 103March 5, 2016 5:15 PM

I actually think the Grammar Trolls help keep the intelligence and clarity of the posting here in check. I dropped out of school pretty young so I only learned grammar from reading. I'm sure I make mistakes and I often have to look up certain rules or ways of phrasing when I'm uncertain. An anonymous person on the internet correcting my grammar is not a personal insult.

by Anonymousreply 104March 5, 2016 5:24 PM

r104 Love the story. Hope it wins.

by Anonymousreply 105March 5, 2016 5:31 PM

I appreciate that honesty, R104. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 106March 5, 2016 5:31 PM

[quote] I dropped out of school pretty young so I only learned grammar from reading.

This should read: "I dropped out of school pretty youngly so I only learnt grammar from reading."

Your welcum.

by Anonymousreply 107March 5, 2016 5:38 PM

I think my neighbor is a gargoyle.

by Anonymousreply 108March 5, 2016 5:42 PM

[quote]Don't be so quick to flounce.

Lesbians NEVER "flounce". They stomp.

by Anonymousreply 109March 5, 2016 5:49 PM

r106 Honesty? Sweetie, never buy a car by yourself.

by Anonymousreply 110March 5, 2016 5:58 PM

I are the rest of you unpaid DLers unable to post whwn I do it all the time? I can't start threads, but I inflict myself on you all daily without having spent a penny to do so.

by Anonymousreply 111March 5, 2016 8:23 PM

Can't edit, though. Sigh... Should read: "How are..." "when"

by Anonymousreply 112March 5, 2016 8:26 PM

Thank you, R104. I don't think of having one's grammar corrected [italic]anonymously[/italic] online as a personal insult, and it surprises me when people get pissed off about it. It's a learning experience. At least, that's all this grammar queen intends it to be.

by Anonymousreply 113March 5, 2016 8:30 PM

I don't subscribe, but I can post and start threads. Maybe it is a browser or platform issue where people can't make a thread even though they should be able.

by Anonymousreply 114March 5, 2016 8:34 PM

115 replies and still not deleted? You're slipping, Muriel!

by Anonymousreply 115March 5, 2016 8:37 PM

I miss threads having pages. Sometimes you don't want to go to the most recent post, you want to pick up where you left off.

The old site was much more pleasant to look at and navigate. (To be fair though, this site's search engine is an improvement.)

by Anonymousreply 116March 5, 2016 8:39 PM

Muriel. where are you darling?

by Anonymousreply 117March 5, 2016 8:39 PM

I never clear my cookies, r114, so maybe that's why I have unfettered access. Do you clear yours regularly?

by Anonymousreply 118March 5, 2016 8:40 PM

It is the weekend, R115, so these threads last a little longer. As soon as drunken Murial drags her talons out of bed and smokes a carton of cigarettes, this thread will be gone. Probably Monday by the latest.

by Anonymousreply 119March 5, 2016 8:41 PM

Is the webmaster's name really Murial? I always thought that was a DL joke.

by Anonymousreply 120March 5, 2016 8:42 PM

You are a sublime storyteller, r119.

by Anonymousreply 121March 5, 2016 8:44 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 122March 5, 2016 8:52 PM

R104, your spelling & grammar & punctuation are perfect (at least in your post). Despite having dropped out of school young (or perhaps because of it), you're using the English language better than a lot of posters. Keep up the good work.

by Anonymousreply 123March 5, 2016 8:59 PM

[quote]I miss threads having pages.

I used to set the page limit to 999 on the previous software. However, the old version returned you to the exact place you left off, which the new version does only most of the time. When it fails, I arrow down to the last post, and read backwards.

There are only two things that really don't work for me:

1. When you get past 200 on a thread with a lot of pics, the threads arrrrrrrrre verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry sloooooooooooooooowwwwwww. Like running in two feet of snow. PLEASE CAP THREADS AT 200, Muriel.

2. When I click something in the list in the right column, I can no longer back out to the list of threads. Instead, I click eternally on the thread from the list and the thread I was looking at before it. That's something I wish could be fixed.

by Anonymousreply 124March 5, 2016 9:01 PM

One of the signs of decline in this website is that irritating "Jews" poster who shits in every thread not even relating to or about Jewish people/the middle east.

by Anonymousreply 125March 5, 2016 9:01 PM

He's one of my few "ignore"s.

by Anonymousreply 126March 5, 2016 9:02 PM

Yeah but he eventually deletes cookies, or opens up a new browser or something, because like weeds, he sprouts up again. Ugh

by Anonymousreply 127March 5, 2016 9:03 PM

New layout is a bust. That's the first thing. Readership has changed. DL was always thee place to get insider type industry gossip. Those days are long gone, clearly. No delicious or juicy gossip threads any longer. Old heads/elder gays have left in droves, and many of them had connects to the industry. Instead we have been left with whiny teen queens who don't know much about a fucking thing.

by Anonymousreply 128March 5, 2016 9:39 PM

Op is the whole Trannies who started censoring all the old timers. A lot of all time contributors were pretty much banned.

by Anonymousreply 129March 5, 2016 10:01 PM

I come on here all the time, but I've gotten to the point where I'm about done. It hasn't been fun in a LOOOOOONG time. It's gotten so lame. Nobody has any insider gossip anymore, the people have become miserable, and the thread topics are ridiculous, including the non-stop, "What was the best song released by...." polls.

I'm also tired of all of the pro-closet people and worshipping of straight guys.

by Anonymousreply 130March 5, 2016 11:01 PM

I never believed in any of the gossip, any of it, who would?

by Anonymousreply 131March 5, 2016 11:03 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 132March 5, 2016 11:04 PM

R131 never writes in sentences, ever, who would?

by Anonymousreply 133March 5, 2016 11:09 PM

R133= Failed English as Second Language in Community College

by Anonymousreply 134March 5, 2016 11:38 PM

Oh, come on, we have had some fun threads lately. To name just a few:

--The DLB, Tom Daley & Sam Smith Oscar threesome cat fight

--Terry Miller's Instagram

--Eva whatshername's nanny text meltdown

--Stefoknee

--Spectacular celebrity downfalls

by Anonymousreply 135March 6, 2016 12:02 AM

We've had plenty of time to get used to it and we haven't.

Whoever hired the designer should hold him/her up and demand their money back.

But nobody wants to admit they fucked up.

And the idiot who said that DL is sexist sometimes also should also be not stupid enough to not realize it is also homophobic, racist, misanthropic, anti Semitic, anti Christian, anti Muslim...sometimes.

Well anti Muslim a lot of the time.

But that's not a bad thing to be.

by Anonymousreply 136March 6, 2016 12:59 AM

This site has become a comments section found on any article on any search engine found on the Internet (like Yahoo!). It's anti-gay, anti-trans, anti-Muslim. pro-Conservative, anti-liberal, etc.

You have people who support that blond hair dude, I won't use his name, just endless threads about him, his hateful ideology all over this site... it's just not a funny, witty site any more. The design is fine, it's the horrible hate that has scared people off.

by Anonymousreply 137March 6, 2016 1:07 AM

What does it mean when my ignore list has blank entries?

by Anonymousreply 138March 6, 2016 1:19 AM

You've also been blocked.

by Anonymousreply 139March 6, 2016 1:19 AM

Its the SJW's like r137. This place was always bitchy but now there are all these young special snowflakes who cannot handle dissenting opinions. Why should any gay man or woman be pro islam? are you fucking kidding?

by Anonymousreply 140March 6, 2016 1:23 AM

I'm BLOCKING R140!

by Anonymousreply 141March 6, 2016 1:28 AM

R138, the ignore list only shows a blocked poster's more recent drivel. Presumably this is to keep the Ignored page from getting infinitely long. If you unblock the blank boxes, all their old posts show up again.

by Anonymousreply 142March 6, 2016 1:28 AM

R138, you are in purgatory.

by Anonymousreply 143March 6, 2016 6:05 AM

Manvox has become something entirely different too. They are trying to become a shopping site of all things. Their redesign, if anything, is more ludicrous than the one here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 6, 2016 6:05 AM

You might be skimming over the posts from Red Pill-ers, MRAs, the Stormfront legion, the anti-Muslim patrol as well as the SJW complaint threads.

This place is like the Republican Party, and the Tea Party has taken over.

by Anonymousreply 145March 6, 2016 2:44 PM

Being anti-Muslim does not make you a member of the Republican or the Tea party, overreacher R145.

What is a Red Pill?

by Anonymousreply 146March 6, 2016 2:49 PM

If you are gay and support Muslims right to their ideology you are one very sick fuck.

You are the same ones screaming about Christian fundie hatred.

Your stupidity and hypocrisy has to be in your DNA.

There is no other explanation.

by Anonymousreply 147March 6, 2016 2:49 PM

Yeah, this is the shit the rest of us are getting tired of, guys.

by Anonymousreply 148March 6, 2016 2:51 PM

If the webmaster brings back pay to post, then all the anti-Muslim/anti-trans people and people who type "sjw" in every post can comgregate into one thread like the old site. If pay to post comes back, the trolls will get bored and this site will liven up again.

by Anonymousreply 149March 6, 2016 2:58 PM

You think pro-Muslims would pay to post, R149?

by Anonymousreply 150March 6, 2016 3:02 PM

I'm anti-muslim, anti-trans and anti SJW. You know why? BECAUSE I'M PRO-GAY. And I already pay to post. Have been here for years.

Let's build a wall, a really big wall--huge.......so the Muslim apologists can't post on a pro-gay site.

by Anonymousreply 151March 6, 2016 3:24 PM

Oh yeah, R151, you just accused me of being pro-Muslim in another thread since I raised hell about people posting links to anti-gay Russia Today news site. Quite frankly you sound more like a Breitbart troll. And I'm not too sure you're even gay.

by Anonymousreply 152March 6, 2016 3:33 PM

The site kind of sucks since the 'upgrade', which was really a downgrade. It won't even recognize me on my browser anymore, I can only post from my other device.

The anti-Muslim trolls are nothing, there has always been trolls here. Closet-case racists and anti-human turds are always lurking. I've been hanging around here since way back in the 20th century. Thing is, now the sight is so obnoxious format-wise, the trolls seem even more annoying.

by Anonymousreply 153March 6, 2016 3:38 PM

I'm with R1, no notice of decline in posts, but most now are of virulent political tripe. I have no place here

by Anonymousreply 154March 6, 2016 3:44 PM

Sorry, R152, that's not me. However, I am gay, and I think I have looked at breitbart exactly one time. And before you pull out your super-duper insult-to-end-all-insults, no, I am not a Republican.

There are lots of people in the world who fall well between SJW Muslim adorers and American NeoNazis. I don't know why you and your ilk have such a hard time seeing anything but super-black and extreme-white.

by Anonymousreply 155March 6, 2016 3:45 PM

Actually, I am R151. Not sure why R155 is taking credit. Just shows that the majority of DL feels as I do. And no we are not extreme right wing. Just pro-gay and pro western, advanced, enlightened civilization and culture. We do not champion the rights of backward savages who are trying to kill us.

by Anonymousreply 156March 6, 2016 3:53 PM

One really has to seriously question the mental stability of anyone saying anything positive about a homo-hating dogma on a gay board.

by Anonymousreply 157March 6, 2016 3:54 PM

Sorry, R156. What I should have said is "I am not R151. I did, however, call someone 'pro-Muslim' earlier, using that exact phrase."

by Anonymousreply 158March 6, 2016 3:57 PM

[quote]Just pro-gay and pro western, advanced, enlightened civilization and culture. We do not champion the rights of backward savages who are trying to kill us.

R156, so guess why I have a problem with Russian homophobes?

by Anonymousreply 159March 6, 2016 4:06 PM

R148 please explain to me your monstrous hypocrisy.

Your support of fascist/Nazi ideologies is stomach churning and you are among the homophobes trolling on these boards and ruining this site.

by Anonymousreply 160March 6, 2016 4:15 PM

Nancy Reagan's death will revive DL!

by Anonymousreply 161March 6, 2016 4:28 PM

What killed it for me is very simply the lack of pagination now. I browse the internet on several different devices in short bursts. I'm not going to read a 600 page thread that takes forever to scroll on one page. But if we had page numbers again, I might read two pages on once device and then read page three later on another. I'd be able to know, approximately, where I left off. With the new DL if the thread has grown and I log in somewhere else it's virtually impossible to find my place, and the posts are not interesting enough for me to bother.

by Anonymousreply 162March 6, 2016 4:32 PM

And R161 is right. Nancy's death is the reason I came on here today lol.

by Anonymousreply 163March 6, 2016 4:33 PM

The trolls are attacking each other. I can't keep track.

by Anonymousreply 164March 6, 2016 4:33 PM

R162, I never quite understood why the legacy version had to go. Sure it probably needed maintenance but I'd assume not that much. It's possible people would've wanted some of the new features from the current version implemented there as well, though, but still.

by Anonymousreply 165March 6, 2016 4:36 PM

It's the cunts and the millennials. And especially the millennial cunts.

They're so passive they treat the DL as visual entertainment and only chime in tediously (without capitalization or punctuation) to denounce all the "old fags" when they feel they've been criticized, or someone has challenged the they're-all-your-victims pose.

Yup.

The political stuff DOES get tiresome, mainly because if it's not the twats noted above screeching about Bernie it's the GOP shills trying to be clever.

by Anonymousreply 166March 6, 2016 4:50 PM

No decline today bitches! Nancy Reagan dropping dead has brought the place back to life!

by Anonymousreply 167March 6, 2016 4:54 PM

Will TCM show her movies?

by Anonymousreply 168March 6, 2016 4:54 PM

R165 x 100. There was some anniversary (20 years?) which appeared to demand that a great big facelift and wardrobe change take place. Except it didn't.

Legacy DL was all but perfect. The change reminded me of when a new editor takes over a well-regarded magazine or paper and imposes new design and formatting in order to stamp his or her character on said journal, just because. Because change is fresh and good and new! But not for its own sake.

by Anonymousreply 169March 6, 2016 5:04 PM

My understanding from when the change was being beta tested was that this new format was to better integrate social media ( since that is where all the Web hucksters say it is at if you want to grab an audience) and to make it easier to serve ads. Notice how ads will pop in mid thread now? This change ended up bringing in the wrong people here so the good ones just up and leave.

The legacy site could have achieved the same functionality but probably with more difficulty and time (thus cost to Muriel's bosses) than using a canned forum software which has most of the features you already want. They expected backlash, but I think they underestimated the amount and lasting consequences of the change.

This is a good example of what can happen when execs hear of a trend and want to 'catch the wave' without really understanding what their own product is or how shoehorning in a new trend can screw things all to hell.

by Anonymousreply 170March 6, 2016 5:31 PM

[quote]My understanding from when the change was being beta tested was that this new format was to better integrate social media

If true, that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Why would there be a need to integrate social media on a forum where about 95% of the activity is from "Anonymous"? It's clear that the majority of the people posting here did not have a desire to identify themselves.

by Anonymousreply 171March 6, 2016 6:00 PM

[quote]If true, that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Why would there be a need to integrate social media on a forum where about 95% of the activity is from "Anonymous"? It's clear that the majority of the people posting here did not have a desire to identify themselves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172March 6, 2016 6:02 PM

I agree R171. That is why I said I think this could be a case of execs hearing all the buzz about social media but not understanding or caring about how datalounge actually works. "Social media brings in dollars for other sites, so why not DL?" We are all seeing the result of that thought process.

by Anonymousreply 173March 6, 2016 6:16 PM

Add me to the "I miss when threads had pages" list. Even 500+ comment-laden threads opened faster when they were segmented by pages, and despite claims to the contrary, my thread watcher does NOT always remember where I left off in the endless xcroscrollll threads.

by Anonymousreply 174March 6, 2016 6:21 PM

So, was datalounge always a hate site? Because I don't recall it being so. I don't recall the endless trans poats, Muslim posts, "sjw" posts...were those always here? I must have never noticed it. If's because of that I rarely come here anymore, not the design.

by Anonymousreply 175March 6, 2016 6:21 PM

*scroll

by Anonymousreply 176March 6, 2016 6:22 PM

DL has become like FB- needless changes to features that were functioning well, yet no genuine changes for the better.

by Anonymousreply 177March 6, 2016 6:25 PM

I miss the pages too. I could read threads in any order I wanted to read them (I would often read the threads starting with the last page to the first page. Strange I know). I'll add that the Breitbart, Stormfront, LSA (it seems that a few people think that this is just one person named Janbot but I'm not sure) etc... trolling has become suffocating and makes the board unappealing.

by Anonymousreply 178March 6, 2016 6:43 PM

The site got dumbed down with all of the idiotic colors and format. It's like a children's game, but less sensible.

by Anonymousreply 179March 6, 2016 6:58 PM

The new brood doesn't even wear gloves!

Plus, they're fat and smoke cigarettes out in the street.

by Anonymousreply 180March 6, 2016 7:02 PM

Threads captioned under my name, as others, need to be organized by the recent dates of posts rather than topics. Or, combine the two.

by Anonymousreply 181March 6, 2016 7:03 PM

The refugee board shut down too and I guess "Tybee" or whoever was in charge didn't bother establishing a new one somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 182March 6, 2016 7:05 PM

[quote]So, was datalounge always a hate site? Because I don't recall it being so. I don't recall the endless trans poats, Muslim posts, "sjw" posts...were those always here? I must have never noticed it. If's because of that I rarely come here anymore, not the design.

Bitch please, you're here 24/7 blowing your little whistle, monitoring DL like a Tranny-Muslim-SJW schoolmarm.

And hate site? Oh, my sides. Is that what you call ANY opinion but your own? Hate speech? LOL

We aim to educate the uninformed and naive among us. That's not hate. It's love---tough love.

by Anonymousreply 183March 6, 2016 7:21 PM

R175 wasn't here for the Hillary/Obama wars in 2008. Those didn't end until well after his inauguration.

by Anonymousreply 184March 6, 2016 7:24 PM

What does "swj" mean?

by Anonymousreply 185March 6, 2016 7:31 PM

R185, it is sjw and it means social justice warrior.

by Anonymousreply 186March 6, 2016 7:38 PM

Sjw=Single Jewish Woman

by Anonymousreply 187March 6, 2016 7:44 PM

I remember when LOL meant Little Old Lady, natural habitat the Madison Avenue bus line.

by Anonymousreply 188March 6, 2016 7:47 PM

I used to come here for breaking news but now find nothing on Nancy's death (unless it is buried in a cutesie title)

by Anonymousreply 189March 6, 2016 8:15 PM

[quote]*****BREAKING - NANCY REAGAN DEAD****

Not **********BREAKING**************** enough, R189?

by Anonymousreply 190March 6, 2016 8:19 PM

It didn't show up on my thread list...

by Anonymousreply 191March 6, 2016 8:21 PM

I've seen two Nancy Reagan threads today. Keep scrolling.

by Anonymousreply 192March 6, 2016 8:39 PM

I see someone is living up to their vow to see datalounge destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 193March 6, 2016 10:48 PM

At least we know the motive behind all these garbage posts now.

by Anonymousreply 194March 6, 2016 10:49 PM

[quote] I'm anti-muslim, anti-trans and anti SJW. You know why? BECAUSE I'M PRO-GAY. And I already pay to post. Have been here for years. Let's build a wall, a really big wall--huge.......so the Muslim apologists can't post on a pro-gay site.

[quote] Bitch please, you're here 24/7 blowing your little whistle, monitoring DL like a Tranny-Muslim-SJW schoolmarm. And hate site? Oh, my sides. Is that what you call ANY opinion but your own? Hate speech? LOL

Hate speech, outside the law, is speech that attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as gender, ethnic origin, religion, race, disability, or sexual orientation

Hate speech is a communication that carries no meaning other than the expression of hatred for some group, especially in circumstances in which the communication is likely to provoke violence. It is an incitement to hatred primarily against a group of persons defined in terms of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and the like. Hate speech can be any form of expression regarded as offensive to racial, ethnic and religious groups and other discrete minorities or to women.

[quote] We aim to educate the uninformed and naive among us. That's not hate. It's love---tough love.

I certain that most of us are well acquainted with the concept of bigotry. Therefore you should really save your crash course in intolerance, bigotry, hate and fear mongering for some other venue. We've had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 195March 6, 2016 10:52 PM

Correction:

I'm

by Anonymousreply 196March 6, 2016 10:53 PM

What you feed will grow.

What you ignore will wither and die.

by Anonymousreply 197March 6, 2016 10:53 PM

At least one of the trolls is not even from the US but is obsessed with trying to control stateside politics.

Their home country must be perfect and without a single problem that needs their obsessive attention.

by Anonymousreply 198March 6, 2016 10:54 PM

Clearly that one visit to britbarf left a big impression.

by Anonymousreply 199March 6, 2016 10:56 PM

R59, yeah but isn't the ignore button so worth it? I'm on short time as it is. I didn't sign up to play therapist on DL. I'm already 'should be doing something else' as it is. I'm here for the juiciest gossip you can't post on other sites with moderators to suit their agenda. I also shouldn't have to sign up. That's why the site rocks and can be damaged addiction. I'm here hoping to see a snark that will have me laughing for hours. DL is asking us to moderate our own site. That's the power of the "IGNORE". button. You're streamlining and we're making the place an efficient well oiled machine.

A tip: Don't quote the trolls. We have them on ignore for a reason. Please, please refrain.

by Anonymousreply 200March 6, 2016 11:15 PM

How many millions have the Koch bros invested in "liberal" intel for 2016?

by Anonymousreply 201March 6, 2016 11:21 PM

It's gotten boring as all fuck.

Political Threads: Bernie Bros troll the HillBots, who condescend in return, lots of generational warfare promulgated by people who are all likely the same age, given the make up of DL. Trump baffles everyone.

Gossip Threads/Who Is Gay: Travolta and Spacey are closet cases. So is Renner. Cruise is a nut job. Leo D may be gay. Matt Damon has a womanly ass and Ben is fat. Bradley Cooper may have had plastic surgery or botox and seems to generate an awful lot of envy.

Golden Girls: Older gay men love their 1970s sitcoms

Soaps: No idea, something about Moobs

Frau Favorites. Some poster/stalker spotted the QAF star in the background of someone's photo on Instagram, 20 fraus with Google Translate need to comment; ditto the Spanish Model, the Hobbit Stars, the Sherlock Holmes star, the Green Bay quarterback etc.

Transsexuals: Everyone hates them and hates Jenner

Porn: SC's Brandon, no one is happy with the new SC/CF models, lots of poster/stalkers have figured out their real names and are posting them.

Dunham: No one likes her. Still.

Celebrity Gays: Quinto, Bass, Martin, DLB, Thorpe-- nobody like them either. Okay, maybe a few people.

Yellow Skin, PMBT: Still at it

by Anonymousreply 202March 6, 2016 11:31 PM

[quote] Matt Damon has a womanly ass

Does he?

by Anonymousreply 203March 6, 2016 11:40 PM

I block trolls and threads to make room for better content here. It's customizeable. I don't need to scroll past junk anymore.

Especially those porny posts by some disturbed individuals and/or hardcore fetishist freaks. Immediate block. My parents tried to protect me from those types. Can't let them down NOW!

by Anonymousreply 204March 7, 2016 12:04 AM

Pretty good summary there, R202.

[quote]I'm here hoping to see a snark that will have me laughing for hours

R200, unless you are far too easily amused, you will be waiting a long time.

by Anonymousreply 205March 7, 2016 6:11 AM

Is hate speech illegal, or just bad manners?

by Anonymousreply 206March 7, 2016 6:47 AM

Hate speech = anyone who disagrees with us.

Also, anything that hurts our feelings or that we decide is triggering.

by Anonymousreply 207March 7, 2016 7:03 AM

Also, hate speech is what the "wounded" party says it is -- the person who says what is deemed hate speech has no say in the charges, but will bear the full brunt of the responsibility.

by Anonymousreply 208March 7, 2016 7:23 AM

Give me the old format with the Likes and Ignore Thread added. New format is generally just too bulky and cumbersome.

Like I told them at Afterellen before their disasterous format switch, why fix it if it ain't broke. After running the site into the ground for a year and a half they finally restored the old format.

by Anonymousreply 209March 7, 2016 7:26 AM

R195 Apologist for anti gay fundie ideology as long as it comes in black wrapping with a colorful hijab bow.

Any anti Christian thread will have him or her reading with great glee with no objection whatsoever.

Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 210March 7, 2016 9:59 PM

R195 Tolerance and anti bigotry?

You are so full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 211March 8, 2016 12:40 AM

[quote]The refugee board shut down too and I guess "Tybee" or whoever was in charge didn't bother establishing a new one somewhere else.

It didn't shut down, it's the same place it always was.

by Anonymousreply 212March 8, 2016 1:17 AM

Ive been on DL since 2001 and its the worst it has ever been. I don't rally come on everyday anymore and when I am on it isn't for as long. "primetime" caused less and less ppl to post and this new layout is awful. Why was it changed??!!

by Anonymousreply 213March 8, 2016 1:24 AM

Do you know what's the most telling--and frightening--harbinger of the impending demise of DL?

The fact that Muriel has yet to shut down this thread, even after 200 shit-dumping posts. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 214March 8, 2016 1:29 AM

It's just the election cycle. This is nothing new. It was pretty bad last time too. You all have short memories.

by Anonymousreply 215March 8, 2016 2:12 AM

DL has always been imperfect, I don't remember any glory period in my 13 DL yrs. Of course it's going to be a little boring if you're here and just surf DL for hours. Sometimes that can be enjoyable, but usually I just check in on it in-between watching videos. I hope Crazy Ex-Girlfriend's ready to download.

by Anonymousreply 216March 8, 2016 2:26 AM

I've been on DL for many years, and this place always gets crazy during an election year, like the above poster said. And this election year is especially crazy and just plain bizarre. This always happens.

by Anonymousreply 217March 8, 2016 4:09 AM

What about starting a Datalounge style sub-reddit? Reddit has the advantage of downvoting trolls into invisibility and blocking those who won't play nice. Who volunteers to moderate? ☺

by Anonymousreply 218March 8, 2016 4:09 AM

What I miss is the ability to make text larger by double tapping or by using the thumb and index finger on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 219March 8, 2016 5:15 AM

And now you only use those tricks on your own butt, R219

by Anonymousreply 220March 8, 2016 5:18 AM

[quote]LSA (it seems that a few people think that this is just one person named Janbot but I'm not sure)

I agree, I think it's more than just one person. We seem to have a lot of women from LSA and ONTD style sites who don't really get how gossip works, or live in their own little fantasy world about some celebrity and can't handle it if someone says something contradictory to their daydreams.

There's also the troll who asks stupid questions, who may or may not be the clueless guy who doesn't understand anything that's going on, even when patiently explained to him.

It really kills the site. I'm sure they think they're hysterical but I can't imagine having so little to do that I'd spend hours pretending to be stupid on DL.

by Anonymousreply 221March 8, 2016 10:02 AM

R182, it's not shut down. Should be easy to find on Google.

R218, there's already a subreddit but no one ever posts there.

by Anonymousreply 222March 8, 2016 10:09 AM

The End is nigh.

by Anonymousreply 223March 8, 2016 1:20 PM

The format sucks. I would renew my $18 membership if the old format came back.

by Anonymousreply 224March 8, 2016 1:39 PM

[quote]What I miss is the ability to make text larger by double tapping

Use Ctrl+

by Anonymousreply 225March 8, 2016 1:45 PM

[quote] R166: ...They're so passive they treat the DL as visual entertainment and only chime in tediously (without capitalization or punctuation) to denounce all the "old fags" when they feel they've been criticized, ...

Well, this won't do at all! Slipping standards are the devil's slide! Oh, the horror!

by Anonymousreply 226March 8, 2016 2:55 PM

After the last election, it quieted down quite a bit. I imagine we ain't seen nothing yet. Come November, the deluge.

by Anonymousreply 227March 8, 2016 3:05 PM

I have recently seen an influx of racists nazis and terrorist sympathizers and a decline in celeb gossip and just good fun!

by Anonymousreply 228March 8, 2016 3:08 PM

Has anyone noticed that any time we call the Mossad interns on their bullshit, these sad little threads appear?

by Anonymousreply 229March 8, 2016 4:14 PM

I've been here on and off since 1999 or so. There were people then who said that it was already over.

There definitely was a heyday when the Wit and Wisdom wall was consistently filled with hilarious posts. I often thought people were trying out material - you'd sometimes see the same comment in print days or weeks later. There were some genuine characters and legends were born. There were also many insiders who had real scoops - or at the very least, really funny anecdotes.

Fewer celebrities were out so a lot of time was devoted to blind items. Toothy Tile, etc. There were some truly unhinged posters who were inadvertently hilarious. Political threads were more thoughtful in general. There were fewer "guys exposing their holes" kinds of posts. I find them boring but, hey, whatever.

There were various uproars: primetime, a website redesign (so minor compared to this tragedy), a Frau explosion, and others.

There wasn't a major exodus - just a gradual change in tone. Originality gave way to a certain amount of derivative humor. Facebook, Twitter and other social media were game-changers as well. The 2008 election seemed to be an inflection point.

Of course, lots of us just got older. That's over 15 years ago so some of us are now in our mid-40s or older.

I come back to look around from time to time - usually when I want to hear what people think about a certain television series, movie or some current event.

But I haven't been a regular visitor in quite a while.

Lucky fucking you.

by Anonymousreply 230March 8, 2016 4:29 PM

r230 It sounds like the AOL chatrooms of the 1990s. It was the most exciting thing happening on the gay Internet then and now it's dead.

by Anonymousreply 231March 8, 2016 5:11 PM

I've been here for 10 years. I still remember the website when it had two sub-forums, one for gossip and one for politics. It only took a few months until the re-design though. I just remember that there were so many posts all the time. The website was very active. The posters were funny and smart, much more so than today. I discovered this website when I was 19, I turn 29 this year, so the website had a huge impact on me, I've been here for a decade after all! I still appreciate Datalounge, otherwise I wouldn't be here. But yeah.. it was funnier in its heyday.

by Anonymousreply 232March 8, 2016 6:04 PM

r232 Life was funnier a decade ago and even funnier a decade before then. I think I'll end it now and skip the next ten years.

by Anonymousreply 233March 8, 2016 6:06 PM

It began for me, a three-year DLer, when our opinions of trans started getting threads deleted.

by Anonymousreply 234March 8, 2016 6:19 PM

[quote] Use Ctrl+

Does not exist in an iPad or iPhone

by Anonymousreply 235March 8, 2016 7:31 PM

I think the second ever thread started on Datalounge was about how much it had declined.

by Anonymousreply 236March 8, 2016 7:33 PM

It was SO MUCH better yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 237March 8, 2016 7:56 PM

[quote] There wasn't a major exodus

I disagree. I've been here since 1996 and Primetime led to a huge exodus. It wasn't the cost, it was the principle. People refused to pay for a website where they provided 100% of the content. They believed it made no sense and lots of them were insulted. "How dare you tell us to pay for your site when we're the writers?" was the rationale and it let to a huge drop in posting.

I used to check in in the early afternoon before work and the site was hopping. It was a little dizzying because the front page subjects changed by the second. I worked weekends, when I came home after work, I'd check in and what had been on page one when I left for work was on page 40.

That was during the weekend, which was the "slow" time because lots of people were out and about, away from their desktops. It was actually a little too crazy because threads I was interested in became lost. I don't believe there was a thread watcher back then.

There was a huge drop in posting. Over the years, people who came by and wanted to post didn't mind paying to post during prime time, because they'd never been here at a time when it wasn't a pay site. And prime time was ever-present for days at a time, so they had no choice but to pay. So there were small upticks in membership, but nothing like the pre-Primetime board.

The latest change in format has affected people who post from phones and tablets, but especially phones. A smartphone from a few years ago cannot handle the site. I know my old iPhone 4s cannot navigate this site. A lot of the people who've been posting here for years are now on fixed incomes and cant afford an $800 dollar phone. and even those who have newer phones can't see the text they're writing very well because you can't make it bigger or bolder anymore, like one used to be able to do.

On top of that youve got the Milonnials , Stormfront and crazy fraus like a certain obsessive person who keeps staring threads about satanism, majik, and the supernatural. Then there's White Belt Man, who's been here for at least a decade who posts all the nostalgia threads demanding your favorite song, band, movie, actors, etc....plus he's always been a racist. Racism is nothing new here, it's just left alone by TPTB nowadays. You have to put the racists on ignore yourself.

Unfortunately, between racist threads, anti Jewish threads, anti Muslim threads, trans threads, SJW threads, Bernie/Hillary threads and present your hole threads being on ignore, there aren't a whole lot of threads left in the board.

by Anonymousreply 238March 8, 2016 9:54 PM

[quote]The latest change in format has affected people who post from phones and tablets, but especially phones.

What I hate about DL on my phone is that the settings don't stay the same when the wifi changes, which of course is all the time when I'm out in public. The default settings show pictures, and when I'm in a public place I don't want dick and ass pics suddenly appearing on my phone, where other people can see them. This is a major design flaw.

by Anonymousreply 239March 8, 2016 10:10 PM

I never have that problem, R239, with the settings changing when I'm out in public. I turn my wi-fi off then. Is that what would happen if my xifinity so-called wi-fi actually functioned?

Anyway, I have pictures turned off. I guess you do, too.

by Anonymousreply 240March 8, 2016 10:20 PM

Great post r238.

some of our major sources said they couldn't handle a pay site. There were several reasons but the two that topped the list were the notion of paying to go out on a limb and provide content, as r238 said better than I ever could, and the possible paper trail to the source because a recorded financial transaction was required.

by Anonymousreply 241March 8, 2016 10:26 PM

I've never accessed the DL on my phone. My laptop has no problem with it and I rarely use my laptop to access the DL.

If the DL is hard to use via phone then don't access it on a phone. They'll fix it eventually and in the meantime who needs that aggravation over an internet gossip site?

by Anonymousreply 242March 8, 2016 10:45 PM

*I rarely use my TABLET to access the DL

by Anonymousreply 243March 8, 2016 10:46 PM

Bully for you, R242

by Anonymousreply 244March 8, 2016 10:54 PM

One thing I'm fed up with is all the fucking, "What is the best single by (insert band/singer here)?" polls.

by Anonymousreply 245March 8, 2016 11:01 PM

I don't get those either, r245, and I don't know why they're here every day.

by Anonymousreply 246March 8, 2016 11:02 PM

The poll troll is so [italic]boring[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 247March 8, 2016 11:07 PM

When I'm on my phone or iPad I'll read DL but rarely post. Too much effort to type compared to having an easier to use full size keyboard on my desktop. I'm sure I'm not the only one, which would lead to steady traffic, the eyeballs on screens that the advertisers want, but less actual content posting.

by Anonymousreply 248March 8, 2016 11:07 PM

Well, aren't you superior to us in every way, R242. You vaginoplasty.

by Anonymousreply 249March 8, 2016 11:10 PM

It's just common sense, R249. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 250March 9, 2016 2:07 AM

[quote] They'll fix it eventually

Ha, ha, ha! I'll say. This is the board that didn't have a usable search function for such a long time, and finally gave up to have it "powered" by Google.

by Anonymousreply 251March 9, 2016 2:09 AM

I don't have a desktop anymore I don't need one

by Anonymousreply 252March 9, 2016 2:11 AM

[quote]One thing I'm fed up with is all the fucking, "What is the best single by (insert band/singer here)?" polls.

That is a troll trying very, very hard to kill DL and who'd like it very much if you got so sick of the endless polls that you'd leave DL and never came back.

by Anonymousreply 253March 9, 2016 2:21 AM

It's not "common" sense, R250. It's your sense. My sense, and my experience, are different.

by Anonymousreply 254March 9, 2016 2:27 AM

The search function is the only redeeming feature of this new version. It actually works very well.

by Anonymousreply 255March 9, 2016 2:47 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256March 9, 2016 2:50 AM

As a usually vicious grammar troll I would happily never presume to correct R104 if I knew what posts in the future were hers or his. It is the lazy, smug, gratuitous posters who get the "treatment," not the good eggs.

In real life it is worse than bad grammar to rudely point out a person's errors. R104 has brought real life to the fore, even if R105 thinks otherwise. (Yes, I placed the "rudely" inside a prepositional phrase. What was good enough for Shakespeare is good enough for me. And, I assume, dear R104.)

by Anonymousreply 257March 9, 2016 3:17 AM

And you split an infinitive, R257. Though I'm an Oh, Dear, I am known to frequently split my infinitives. It usually sounds better in American.

by Anonymousreply 258March 9, 2016 3:25 AM

[Life is hard,but if u r stupid,it will be harder. i can say my life looks wonderful,good family,good business,have some good friends,living in a beautiful town,travel a lot,and of course,i've come out to my family,the support me. I have many gay friends on my fb list,some of them r wonderful,im so glad to have them.When i feel depressed,they comfort me,encourg me,help me go through with that.I appreciate that. But thing is,WHERE IS MY LIFE PARTNER? I like to sing,to travel,to climb,and i like roadtrip,but i don't drive,so maybe u do,lol i hope u r handsome,under 36,not too big(im skinny,i wish i can carry you and hold u with my arms),funny,like to smile,like dogs(I have a dog named come home) and i don't like Andorra,i don't want to judge,but i tried,all of them,no exception,they just want to me to help them get out of their country,such like offer them a job in my company,give them money to move on(i did,but that guy never showed up after i loaned him 5000,but one of my friends helped me to find his family to get 3000 back).so don't judge me what im thinking.]

This. This troll who posts one thread where he's Garret. Another post he's lying in bed waiting for his husband and another he's moving to VA for his bf and on and on. Why he thinks anyone here want to read his pidgin English attempt at creative writing is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 259March 9, 2016 4:12 PM

The new format is TRAGIC. It's like something form the stone age of internet. Completely useless on a smartphone. Slow as molasses.

by Anonymousreply 260March 9, 2016 4:14 PM

Some of us are using smartphones and tablets because our desktops are a bit unwieldy when we're away from home.

by Anonymousreply 261March 9, 2016 5:14 PM

[quote]our desktops are a bit unwieldy when we're away from home.

Every time I take mine on the subway, some human [italic]demands[italic] I surrender the desktop's seat.

by Anonymousreply 262March 9, 2016 6:55 PM

[/italic]bye, italics.

by Anonymousreply 263March 9, 2016 6:56 PM

Some of us only need a desktop because we live in our mothers' basements.

by Anonymousreply 264March 9, 2016 6:57 PM

R264= Running a 2nd hand Acer laptop with 2 Gigs of RAM

by Anonymousreply 265March 9, 2016 7:12 PM

Been here about 5 years, have a love/hate thing with this place. Hate the new format. And the primetime bullshit during things like the Oscars. But there is still a lot to love here...I agree that you have to wade through the muck but the really good threads make it worthwhile. For example, the recent Kennedy thread (something about Ethel being a cunt), very informative and entertaining. I'm sure I will get ridiculed for saying this but I do learn a lot here.

by Anonymousreply 266March 9, 2016 10:09 PM

[quote] I'm sure I will get ridiculed for saying this but I do learn a lot here.

I learned about uncircumcision in America.

by Anonymousreply 267March 9, 2016 10:34 PM

I learn a lot here, too. There are quite a few DLers with detailed knowledge about various periods of history, and post a lot of interesting stuff. I've always loved the historical threads. A while back there was a thread on World War I that had tons of information I hadn't read before.

by Anonymousreply 268March 9, 2016 10:45 PM

r268 again. I meant to add that I know all of the recent Muslims in Europe threads get a lot of shit, but at the same time there have been posters who have provided tons of info about the contentious history between Europeans and Muslims within those threads. Lots and lots of history in there, I've learned much.

by Anonymousreply 269March 9, 2016 10:47 PM

I also learn about murders I would probably not know about otherwise. Like the shoot-em-up-bang-bang guy in the movie theatre in FL. I probably wouldn't ever think about FL if not for DL, except at presidential elections, of course.

by Anonymousreply 270March 9, 2016 10:48 PM

I probably wouldn't know dick about trans, either. Or I wouldn't be as bothered by it.

by Anonymousreply 271March 9, 2016 10:50 PM

Like other posters have said, I still come to DL for the humor. This place isn't as funny as it used to be, but you can still laugh out loud at some things here, the current Larry King/death of Nancy Reagan thread being a good example.

BTW, my favorite Larry King thread was the one about Gabrielle Giffords, the Arizona congresswoman who was shot in the head by that psycho a few years ago. That entire thread was so tasteless and inappropriate, and totally fucking hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 272March 9, 2016 11:05 PM

Muriel herself is a millenial. It shows in her inability to assimilate information from the opinions of others, and her immature "you criticize me and I'll huff and stomp my feet and delete your shit" because she needs to be affirmed by others. Bitch, you got the position because a Mediopolis owner is fucking you, or because you conned the shit out of them with your "I'll take Dataloubfe in a whole new direction and it will just dazzle one and all. It will make you the most money you've ever gotten from this site!" snow job.

by Anonymousreply 273March 9, 2016 11:46 PM

More likely the current WM got the job because mediopolis wants to kill Datalounge.

I wonder if any of the old WMs ever pop in to see what's going on these days.

by Anonymousreply 274March 10, 2016 4:00 AM

There is only so much bitchy you can take. I use to enjoy this place for the many reasons others have posted, but lately it makes me ashamed to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 275March 10, 2016 6:18 AM

Why does this place make you ashamed to be gay?

Just because there is a lot of bitchiness when that is one of the primary purposes of the site?

Is it anti trans/anti islam attitude?

Is it the presenting hole, dick, ass threads?

I'm genuinely curious.

by Anonymousreply 276March 10, 2016 11:24 AM

[quote]The latest change in format has affected people who post from phones and tablets, but especially phones.

There was also a period of about a year where people couldn't post from their Androids at all. Threads asking about this weirdness were deleted. I didn't even try again until the new format, and we can post again, but I'm sure a lot of people just gave up during that time.

by Anonymousreply 277March 10, 2016 3:50 PM

R276, I think he's is talking about the general overall tone of DL lately. It's gone from bitchy and snarky to vicious and ugly. We have posters who, if disagreed with, have screaming, name-calling meltdowns, stalk the person disagreeing with them across the board and, in general, act psychotic. Thank god for the ignore feature. Those are the ones it was invented for.

Yes, the racism has gotten really bad be it the anti-Jew, the "goyim", the "SJW" and anti-Muslim trolls are prolific and extremely annoying and not clever at all. Again, made for the ignore feature.

The general wit and cleverness that used to mark this place is rare, now it's stupid "hi, my name is chris, me need bf" shit. Over and over.

by Anonymousreply 278March 10, 2016 5:29 PM

I'd have to add the anti-Trump psycho here, too, R278

by Anonymousreply 279March 10, 2016 8:36 PM

[quote]One thing I'm fed up with is all the fucking, "What is the best single by (insert band/singer here)?" polls.

That is the kind of poster the Ignore feature is made for.

by Anonymousreply 280March 10, 2016 8:48 PM

The last good gossip thread came up just before Christmas. If you take time to read through you'll find the chick who started it passes the insider test in many ways. And you can tell it rang true for most because unlike someone like Keram, she didn't pretend to know everything about everyone. Predictably, there were several naysayers, fraus and pr trolls who tried to derail the thread, but it was full in less than a day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281March 11, 2016 10:46 AM

LOL r272, that Larry King/Gabrielle Giffords thread is hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282March 11, 2016 12:06 PM

That was a GREAT thread, R281. Some of us tried to keep it going with a Thread #2 but it never got off the ground because she didn't come back. I think she felt threatened and got scared off. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 283March 11, 2016 12:10 PM

Not to worry, OP -- salvation is at hand.

We now have a highly erudite poster dedicated to upholding STANDARDS here at DL. He's committed to fighting the debasement of this site by "right-wing trolls and poorly prepared consumerists", and he's contributing gems of profundity such as the following thread, which succeeds in combining condescension, pretension and a POLL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284March 11, 2016 1:39 PM

Scat threads.. all closed.. why?

by Anonymousreply 285March 12, 2016 3:11 AM

R238 You nailed the decline of DL perfectly.

The anti black racism and pathetic stan wars are just insane. From that you can tell the age range of the posters has dropped. I haven't been posting here as long as you have, but even I have noticed the decline over the last 8 years. However, there are still some good threads here and there, though.

by Anonymousreply 286March 12, 2016 12:07 PM

There is most certainly a different tone in the postings. Yes, there was always the crazy political threads, but there used to be much more celebrity gossip. That appears to be all but vanished from the boards these days, with only the occasional bumps to the theater threads remaining.

This probably won't be a popular opinion, but I think opening up the ability to start threads to non-paying members has also caused a decline. (And I say that as a non-paying member.) It appears as though we get a lot of ridiculous threads started that will go for 5 to 10 replies, max. It used to be a much more controlled board around the topics of discussion, with the discussions being longer and of better quality. It's like we traded "depth" for "breadth" and that's not always a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 287March 12, 2016 6:15 PM

[quote]From that you can tell the age range of the posters has dropped.

A lot of the posters now sound very immature. Almost like bored teenagers.

by Anonymousreply 288March 12, 2016 6:22 PM

Decline from what?

by Anonymousreply 289March 12, 2016 6:28 PM

[quote]Decline from what?

Mount Kilimanjaro, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 290March 12, 2016 6:34 PM

[quote]Unfortunately, between racist threads, anti Jewish threads, anti Muslim threads, trans threads, SJW threads, Bernie/Hillary threads and present your hole threads being on ignore, there aren't a whole lot of threads left in the board.

And this is the issue I have with Datalounge after being here for a decade. I miss the fun stuff, the gossip, discussions of our favorite tv shows, movies, music.. all that is just gone. I don't mind a couple of politics threads, I read them. But it gets a bit crazy and obsessive when there's like 20+ new political threads every day.

by Anonymousreply 291March 12, 2016 6:42 PM

What you are saying R291, you regret losing your friends who had limited interest in the world around them and just wanted to sit around talking about "TV shows". They are still around. They just grew up.

What happened to you?

by Anonymousreply 292March 12, 2016 8:36 PM

Has it escaped your attention, R291, that we are in an election year? Same happened four years ago.

by Anonymousreply 293March 13, 2016 8:36 AM

Pro-Muslims almost are trannies or wanna be trannies and they are really hate gay men.

by Anonymousreply 294March 13, 2016 8:57 AM

Yeah for like the last 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 295March 13, 2016 9:23 AM

[quote]I discovered this website when I was 19, I turn 29 this year, so the website had a huge impact on me

But it's not too late, although I would think at this point you're looking more at an actual psychiatrist than your run of the mill therapist.

by Anonymousreply 296March 13, 2016 12:31 PM

Is wit and wisdom gone? Where do you find it? Or do they think we're so dumb and desperate for wit and wisdom we'll follow them on Twitter? I think there are major functionality flaws in the new design that work against the success of the site, but I am used to it. Like most site designs it seems aimed at the satisfaction of the designer and if user concerns even register they are met with 'they'll get used to it.' I have been here off and on a lot of years too and if there's one thing I have learned it is that the guys running the site do not give a minute's fuck about the users who don't need controlling. I don't really know why they do it. Can't make that much off $18.

Another thing I'll point out re decline is perhaps this: nobody's talking these days. We're all mostly talking to ourselves culturally. So a board aimed at engagement is much less relevant to the formats all the kids are using these days.

by Anonymousreply 297March 13, 2016 12:37 PM

[quote]I don't really know why they do it. Can't make that much off $18.

The Mediapolis boyz make their money from advertising revenue, which must bring in something that passes for a bit more than a modest income, otherwise the boyz would have pulled the plug on DL long ago. And R296 is correct about them "not giving a minute's fuck" about the user rabble. As long as the site more or less pays, they'll reign in the more distasteful racists/bigots/whatevers, and leave the rest to hiss, shriek, and whinge unhindered.

by Anonymousreply 298March 13, 2016 12:52 PM

^^^^R297, not R296^^^

by Anonymousreply 299March 13, 2016 12:53 PM

[quote]There were fewer "guys exposing their holes" kinds of posts. I find them boring but, hey, whatever.

Maybe you're not looking at them in the right way. Try a different approach!

by Anonymousreply 300March 13, 2016 4:11 PM

R300 you are so mean.

by Anonymousreply 301March 13, 2016 5:26 PM

I don't need to see the WW's of OTHER people's posts. I only want to see a long line of WW interruptions for MY posts when I log on every day. And that is exactly what happens.

The rest of you must be dreadful drudges and contributing to the demise of DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 302March 13, 2016 9:43 PM

LOL, another thing that doesn't seem to work on a phone: notifications of WWs you've received.

by Anonymousreply 303March 13, 2016 10:29 PM

R303, Oh is that the problem? Your phone?

by Anonymousreply 304March 13, 2016 11:18 PM

Is that an example of the wit and wisdom that wins you praise?

by Anonymousreply 305March 13, 2016 11:56 PM

Remember when you didn't have to open each thread to remove them from your thread watcher? Good times...

by Anonymousreply 306March 14, 2016 12:38 AM

No one's a rock star anymore—not even rock stars. You're a bunch of dads grilling pastured lamb sausages and lamenting your decreased urine flow.

by Anonymousreply 307March 14, 2016 5:53 AM

R306, I don't have to open threads to remove them from my thread watcher.

by Anonymousreply 308March 14, 2016 6:08 AM

On a phone you do, R308. No other way to unclick the orange eye.

by Anonymousreply 309March 14, 2016 6:12 AM

[quote]there used to be much more celebrity gossip. That appears to be all but vanished from the boards these days

I've tried starting some gossip threads but no one is interested. Tried some interesting news stories, but again, no one was interested. Unless it's a news story that can be tied to some agenda (Islam, trans, some anti-woman diatribe) no one cares.

I also noticed over the last couple of weeks a bunch of people laughing at or cheering on homophobia, just in the course of a thread, and when someone comes along and says, "This is a gay board, what is this shit doing here?" they all disappear. It's very odd. I wonder just WHO exactly is coming to DL nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 310March 14, 2016 6:50 AM

It's an older, more literate crowd, R310. The kids have gone to Reddit and PopSugar.

by Anonymousreply 311March 14, 2016 7:01 AM

[quote]ou're a bunch of dads grilling pastured lamb sausages and lamenting your decreased urine flow.

It's no picnic.

by Anonymousreply 312March 14, 2016 12:01 PM

I, myself, have not.

by Anonymousreply 313March 14, 2016 12:51 PM

Same thing on a tablet, r308 and r309. It's tedious to wait for every thread to finally open, and then repeatedly tap the damn eye until it finally responds.

by Anonymousreply 314March 21, 2016 12:10 AM

DL has been declining since it opened. That's part of the culture.

by Anonymousreply 315March 21, 2016 12:27 AM

I don't go on this site nearly as much as I used to but I check in every so often.

by Anonymousreply 316March 25, 2016 5:13 AM

The problem with ignore and flames/freaks is that it effects which threads and replies the uninvolved can see -- even with the asbestos eyeballs setting.

That's unAmerican.

Ignore and flame anyone you want, but don't let it affect my reading enjoyment.

by Anonymousreply 317March 25, 2016 6:48 PM

My problem is to get back to write here. I had annual cleaning to my lap top and now DL doesn't give me permission to write here anymore. How many days do I need to wait? I can write here with my tablet, but I can't post pics etc. DL just doesn't work the way it should.

by Anonymousreply 318March 25, 2016 6:52 PM

Yes, there is a decline when the administrators are mean. Whoever got that, got that...

by Anonymousreply 319March 25, 2016 6:55 PM

How about an app, already?

by Anonymousreply 320March 25, 2016 6:58 PM

>>>>>It's an older, more literate crowd, [R310]. The kids have gone to Reddit and PopSugar.

No, it's younger, much younger.

....& that's what everyone wanted, so you're welcome to it. Not my idea of interesting.

by Anonymousreply 321March 25, 2016 7:20 PM

R318, when I got my new computer I had no karma here, so I had to have 10 distinct visits here before I could post. And those visits couldn't be really close to each other, so I couldn't just hop on, close the tab, hop on again and get it done in a few minutes. Took me nearly 10 days IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 322March 26, 2016 3:11 AM

More and more websites are forcing commenters to use real names or removing comment sections so troll types flock to any anon form left. It appears datalounge is one of those. It's not a complete cesspool yet but the hundred threads with some hate agenda are so tedious and even thinking about them turns me off visiting here. Linking to websites like the Daily Mail is especially annoying, they strait up write make believe.

So yeah a decline.

by Anonymousreply 323March 26, 2016 4:04 AM

[quote]More and more websites are forcing commenters to use real names or removing comment sections

Jewish intrusion on free speech

by Anonymousreply 324March 26, 2016 4:10 AM

If anyone wonders about the cause of DL's decline, point and stare at R324.

by Anonymousreply 325March 26, 2016 4:12 AM

Yes, r325. The post doesn't show for me. Must have blocked the user ages ago. I can only see it from your link. Glad I blocked it.

by Anonymousreply 326March 26, 2016 4:16 AM

Oh give it up R324. You are ridiculous at this point. Go back to Stormfront you closet queer.

by Anonymousreply 327March 26, 2016 4:17 AM

[quote][R318], when I got my new computer I had no karma here, so I had to have 10 distinct visits here before I could post. And those visits couldn't be really close to each other, so I couldn't just hop on, close the tab, hop on again and get it done in a few minutes. Took me nearly 10 days IIRC.

You can do the 10 visit thing in a bit over 24 hours.

by Anonymousreply 328March 26, 2016 4:32 AM

I thought this thread would've been deleted a long time ago, so I'm glad to see it's still around. There's been a huge decline since the redesign, unfortunately. I rarely find new threads to flag since they seem to be polls or the same political hashing (going on in several threads at the same time). Even the theater thread has become deadly dull with the current posters arguing over silly things; it seems like many of them don't actually go to the theater very often. Some are just there to troll and argue so they run through threads much more quickly than we did a year or two ago.

So with fewer interesting threads and boring trolls coupled with a site that has unfriendly user navigation, I don't spend as much time here as I used to. I think I have more patience than many, so they've probably just fled/moved on. And I am slowly cutting the cord.

by Anonymousreply 329March 27, 2016 3:44 AM

So 5 years on, and nothing has changed.

You be you, DataLounge!

by Anonymousreply 330March 16, 2021 1:08 PM

To be fair the users of 5 years ago didn't predict the turf war between supporters of competing wings of the royal family or tiktok trolls. In many ways we're actually worse now.

by Anonymousreply 331March 16, 2021 1:15 PM

we had this before. DL has been around for over twenty years, it will survive

by Anonymousreply 332March 16, 2021 1:16 PM

[quote]I don't like Reddit because... It has a lot of average people who think they're highly intelligent

Datalounge has stupid people who think they are of average intelligence, hostile people who think they are reasonable, and crazy people who think they are sane.

It's a much richer experience.

by Anonymousreply 333March 16, 2021 1:48 PM

[quote] Jewish intrusion on free speech

Gentiles have a sense of entitlement to be able to say whatever they want no matter how fatuous or hateful without any repercussions or consequences.

by Anonymousreply 334March 16, 2021 1:54 PM

I did finally subscribe, but you can post without paying. However, the times at which you can post for free are random.

Its been quiet because of coronavirus. Everything is closed. Everyone is staying home. There's not that much to talk about that hasn't been discussed already.

by Anonymousreply 335March 16, 2021 3:17 PM

The TT and BRF trolls I ignored (which I never do but had enough last week) are VERY OCD and posts all over the same threads. So, you aren't really missing anything. I have 89 on ignore.

by Anonymousreply 336March 16, 2021 3:22 PM

Has anyone noticed there saved posts falling off? All of my old bookmarked posts are there, but a lot of threads I have commented or followed recently have been getting untagged.

by Anonymousreply 337March 16, 2021 3:39 PM

I used to post new threads and contribute a lot.

But I have stopped contributing tips and even most language because the Copycat Thread Thief just steals everything I type to create a new thread and pass the idea off as his own.

It's mostly just he and Boris participating in the daytime, anyway. They have nothing interesting to say, so why bother?

I might counter whatever Republican lie that Boris is pushing and move on. But now I use this site mostly for news.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338March 16, 2021 7:30 PM

The SJWs are ruining the fun! We like to be non-PC in a fabulous way!

by Anonymousreply 339March 16, 2021 7:45 PM

Hey r337, if you unwatch a bunch of your old threads your newly watched threads should stick. But make sure you make as much room for new threads as you can.

by Anonymousreply 340March 16, 2021 8:47 PM

[quote]We like to be non-PC in a fabulous way!

"We like to be racist transphobic assholes and then pretend we're trying to be funny!"

Fixed it for you, r339 😘

by Anonymousreply 341March 16, 2021 9:11 PM

No one is more tiresome than r338, the Copycat Thread Thief Troll. I cannot believe a poster exists who would steal even one word from him.

by Anonymousreply 342March 16, 2021 9:21 PM

Duh. It’s prime time most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 343March 16, 2021 9:35 PM

YOU CAN’T MAKE ANY JOKES OR I GET OFFENDED. GET ME A SAFE SPACE! 🤡

by Anonymousreply 344March 16, 2021 10:11 PM

Two words: Meghan Markle

by Anonymousreply 345March 16, 2021 10:12 PM

It’s Madonna!

by Anonymousreply 346March 16, 2021 10:16 PM

If I had a nickel for every thread like this over the past 15 years...

It's just you.

by Anonymousreply 347March 16, 2021 10:30 PM

Hey r340, good tip. I had over a hundred old threads in there.

by Anonymousreply 348March 16, 2021 10:33 PM

The breakroom is a bit run-down. I don't think the microwave has been cleaned in about a month. There are some remnants of a reheated Chipolte meal on the glass. People are not sorting the recyclables. The chairs could use a good wipe down and the fridge still has that new guy's lunch in there with his name on the container. I think he left two weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 349March 16, 2021 10:51 PM

The news is very boring at the moment

by Anonymousreply 350March 16, 2021 11:12 PM

My comments don't show up sometimes; I wonder if it happens to others too.

by Anonymousreply 351March 17, 2021 12:03 AM

r342 = The CopyCat Thread Thief

by Anonymousreply 352March 17, 2021 8:04 AM

If you "cannot believe a poster exists who would steal even one word" from me, then you need to check my Replies history plus the copycat links ID'd in the following thread. We've started a collection!

The proof is in the pudding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353March 17, 2021 8:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!