Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Magicians" on SyFy

Anyone watch the two hour premiere tonight?

Seems pretty well done... almost more like a movie than a TV show.

And I think I'm crushing hard on the lead guy. I just want to cuddle with him.

by Anonymousreply 439April 19, 2019 7:28 AM

For being so derivative (Harry Potter, The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe, and a dozen other obvious influences), it was actually pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 1January 26, 2016 1:46 PM

All of those influences were the intent of the other of the book.

by Anonymousreply 2January 26, 2016 2:09 PM

other = author

by Anonymousreply 3January 26, 2016 3:07 PM

I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 4January 26, 2016 3:20 PM

They really nailed the lead character casting, imho.

by Anonymousreply 5January 26, 2016 5:02 PM

Love the lead guy. His roommate is an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 6January 26, 2016 6:33 PM

Nice show

by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2016 12:00 PM

I can't explain why I'm crushing so hard on the male lead... not really my type, and his tics and such would probably be annoying in real life, but there's this intelligent nerdy thing that I'm just really falling for.

by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2016 3:59 PM

I liked the two first episodes.

by Anonymousreply 9January 28, 2016 7:16 AM

I like the show. Harry Potter with dope.

But this is the first year that this "one episode per week" airing schedule kind of bothers me. Sometimes I feels like I have to get back into the show with some already established info missing in my memory and wondering some details. I think Netflix and binge watching shows (like the 100) ruined me somehow.

by Anonymousreply 10January 28, 2016 8:08 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 11February 2, 2016 5:27 AM

I'd made a mental note to download this, downloading the first ep now.

by Anonymousreply 12February 2, 2016 5:33 AM

Still in it mainly for the actor playing the lead guy.

by Anonymousreply 13February 2, 2016 6:35 AM

Another good episode. I'm enjoying this series.

by Anonymousreply 14February 2, 2016 5:41 PM

Loved tonight's mind-fuck episode.

by Anonymousreply 15February 9, 2016 4:38 AM

I like the former friend girl who joined with the witches. The lead guy fucked her over and then she mind fucked him good to get justice. I wished the mental freak wouldn't have escaped the dream until he acknowledged how evil he had been.

by Anonymousreply 16February 9, 2016 4:47 AM

[quote]The lead guy fucked her over

No he didn't. It sounds you're injecting your own life into the show.

I love the show. I haven't read the books but the show does capture the magic the books must have. This being a SyFy show the budget is probably not the highest but they are doing a great job hiding it. Still, the special effects are well made and the actors are fine. I like the lead Jason Ralph a lot. I last saw him in Aquarius but it took me a while to place him since he played a more adult role there. He will be 30 in two months so he's certainly not a kid anymore. The gay magician buddy is great as well.

by Anonymousreply 17February 9, 2016 5:43 AM

[quote]I can't explain why I'm crushing so hard on the male lead... not really my type, and his tics and such would probably be annoying in real life, but there's this intelligent nerdy thing that I'm just really falling for.

He's a cute, sensitive-looking young guy. Does it really require that much analysis?

by Anonymousreply 18February 9, 2016 10:01 AM

The new episode was the best so far. This show just keeps getting better and better!

by Anonymousreply 19February 9, 2016 7:51 PM

Another good episode.

by Anonymousreply 20February 16, 2016 4:41 PM

I am loving the gay best buddy more and more.

by Anonymousreply 21February 16, 2016 5:24 PM

Oh man, I love this show. Such a beautiful ending for the episode. I haven't read the books so it's all new to me. Not a perfect show but it's got magic.

by Anonymousreply 22February 23, 2016 6:04 AM

I agree this show is good

by Anonymousreply 23February 23, 2016 8:32 AM

I kinda wish this were on HBO so we could have at least gotten a real butt shot of the male lead when he stripped down.

by Anonymousreply 24February 23, 2016 6:07 PM

wtf was that ending? they all turned into geese?

by Anonymousreply 25February 25, 2016 5:50 AM

si fy gave us a butt shot (from Steven Strait) in the pilot of The Expanse.

by Anonymousreply 26February 25, 2016 5:57 AM

R25, ****POSSIBLE SPOILER********* I haven't read any of the books but I understood from a review that apparently they turned into geese and started flying into some faraway magic training place.

by Anonymousreply 27February 25, 2016 3:14 PM

This was cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2016 2:04 PM

R27, and that's exactly what they apparently did. It was interesting though... not thoroughly explained.

And yeah, the gay boyfriends in bed scene was pretty nice. I love how just 'matter of fact' it is. No big deal. Just like any other couple.

I also liked the "slobbing the knob" thing ... he seemed pretty talented :-)

by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2016 9:05 PM

I felt uncomfortable when the guy was fellating the doorknob. It was too explicit for a family show. The length of the scene and the extensive tongue action was gratuitous. I also didn't like that it forced viewers to picture Eliot's large penis being slobbered on.

I don't understand why there is all the physical interaction between Quentin and Alice. It doesn't add anything to the story and just prompts fast forwarding to get back to what's going on.

The last episode was the worst so far. The only good thing was Todd. I want more Todd.

by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2016 11:36 PM

R30, not sure if you're joking but let's make it clear that this is not a family show. That became obvious in the pilot when the moth man pulled out the principal's eyes.

by Anonymousreply 31March 2, 2016 2:02 AM

Never mind the woman's head freakin' exploding last episode

by Anonymousreply 32March 2, 2016 2:07 AM

Violence is family fare. The show is basically Harry Potter, but sucking a knob dong isn't something I'd want my dead mother to see.

by Anonymousreply 33March 2, 2016 2:56 AM

what about the het couple in the pilot literally levitating off the bed while they were fucking like bunnies? you failed to mention that, or was that ok b/c it was het?

by Anonymousreply 34March 3, 2016 2:33 PM

R33, no one gives a shit what you want your dead mother to see. How old are you that you still worry so much about mommy's disapproval? And how self-absorbed that we're all supposed to follow your prudish guidelines for acceptable TV viewing?

by Anonymousreply 35March 3, 2016 4:20 PM

Intercourse is okay for a family show if no genitals or bare bosom is shown because it looks like the couple may just be cuddling. I'd prefer no kissy-kissy stuff at all since it's just wasted time that you have to skip through.

by Anonymousreply 36March 4, 2016 3:38 AM

Does no one on that show know how to pronounce 'Ibiza'?

by Anonymousreply 37March 6, 2016 7:30 AM

Is Jason Ralph gay? He is a Broadway actor after all.

He played a Sebastian Flyte-like character in a movie I saw at a gay festival last year, Those People.

His voice sounds disconcertingly like Robert Sean Leonard's.

by Anonymousreply 38March 6, 2016 8:18 AM

So... the main guy looked fucking HOT in that all white outfit. Nice bulge. Nice ass. Damn...

by Anonymousreply 39March 8, 2016 3:05 AM

I'm pretty sure the best, most honest, most realistic gay relationship on television right now is the one on Magicians.

by Anonymousreply 40March 8, 2016 3:20 AM

I'm just sorry it's over.

by Anonymousreply 41March 8, 2016 3:59 AM

Poor heartbroken, Hoosier Eliott. Scifi writers aren't going to allow gay relationships to go without punishment.

by Anonymousreply 42March 8, 2016 9:05 AM

What happened?

by Anonymousreply 43March 8, 2016 9:46 AM

The Beast hijacked the body of the boyfriend, and used it to try and kill our hero.... and was summarily dispatched after the subterfuge was discovered.

The actor was kind of hot, and played gay really well... anyone know anything about him?

by Anonymousreply 44March 8, 2016 1:09 PM

Who was killed off? Elliott or his boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 45March 8, 2016 1:14 PM

What do you think, R45?

by Anonymousreply 46March 8, 2016 1:22 PM

The saddest part was that the beast seemed to have taken over the BF's body before he met Elliot, so the whole relationship was a sham.

I don't know how old Penny is supposed to be, or how old the actor is, but I'm assuming he bummed around for a decade or two after high school before enrolling at Brakebills.

DL fave Patty Duke was surely watching the show Monday to catch her son Mackenzie's appearance.

by Anonymousreply 47March 8, 2016 2:32 PM

Really shocked they killed off the Fillery woman like that...

This is SO not a "kid's show".

That scene where the beast-controlled boyfriend ripped off the bunny's head to take out the dagger.... damn.

by Anonymousreply 48March 8, 2016 3:03 PM

Cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 8, 2016 8:44 PM

I loved the scene with the two of them sleeping in bed. So very lovely...

by Anonymousreply 50March 8, 2016 10:19 PM

Not only was Eliot's relationship a sham perpetrated by the Beast, but Eliot was the one who had to kill his fake boyfriend Mike to save the old black man. Weep for Eliot.

by Anonymousreply 51March 9, 2016 12:21 AM

poor eliot, that was so sad.

by Anonymousreply 52March 10, 2016 4:48 AM

Tonight's episode was suck a The Nanny mind fuck!!!!

This show is NOT playing around.

by Anonymousreply 53March 15, 2016 11:03 AM

Seriously. This show is NOT for kids. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 54March 15, 2016 2:45 PM

The show should be on HBO, so we could see some of the guys' asses and hear them say "Fuck".

I love the dark, sinister vibe behind children's fairytales.

by Anonymousreply 55March 15, 2016 11:07 PM

I already miss the hottie that turned out to be evil.

What else has that actor done?

by Anonymousreply 56March 17, 2016 3:33 PM

Would it be too obvious that Martin (Liza's brother who isn't allowed to enter Fillory anymore and Liza got the magic button so he could go back to Fillory) is the Beast? In his warped mind he might believe he protects Fillory from creeps like Plover (he didn't want Liza to tell Plover about the button).

by Anonymousreply 57March 17, 2016 3:56 PM

SPOILER ALERT

The last 3 episodes hooked me. I watch this show mostly for Julia . I loved her attempt to steal Marina's spells. I also hate Quentin and Alice as a couple. They are just sooooo bubblegum and cuteness... zzzzzzzzz. The dialogue between Mira and Julia was just awesome to me. I'm glad she's healing herself psychologically and becoming a better magician.

The Beast finally being revealed was like a total wtf moment. Even though it was somewhat predictable because other novel /tv/movie incarnations have done similar; the manner of the reveal was just WOW!!! It was creepy, not who u would expect ( i was honestly expecting some former student/family member of Jane's or an ancient spirit) , and so well developed in delivery. I hope this show does well it was an unexpected treasure for me :)

by Anonymousreply 58March 17, 2016 4:12 PM

that last episode was seriously fucked up, geez.

by Anonymousreply 59March 18, 2016 1:41 PM

Yeah, talk about turning everything on its head... never get to know your heroes, man. Never.

by Anonymousreply 60March 18, 2016 7:30 PM

[quote]The Beast finally being revealed

Was it revealed in last Monday's episode? I completely missed the reveal. Who was it?

by Anonymousreply 61March 21, 2016 12:40 AM

@R61 Christopher Plover is implied to to be the Beast b/c he wanted to grow a sixth finger to do magic. Quentin surmises that he is the Beast because of the sixth finger , and the missing 3rd years who are being experimented on/having their magic stolen. If they follow the novel it isn't Plover, but the TV series doesn't seem to be doing that entirely given Jane is dead.

by Anonymousreply 62March 21, 2016 6:53 AM

I was contemplating reading the books and visited Lev Grossman's site. It became apparent from the comments there that many fans of the books absolutely loathe the tv show. Can't say I was surprised. Grossman himself tried to be positive (he's not involved in the production) but his fans were not taking it.

I'm sort of losing patience with the show myself. It seems they are throwing in things wildly without even trying to make everything coherent. A week or two ago there were so many big things happening that one episode was not enough for all of them. When important things are not getting the attention they deserve they lose their importance. All the time when you're watching the show you feel like half of the scenes filmed were left out. I mean obviously that's not the case but honestly I don't understand why they went with this kind of style. It seems the makers are hell bent on making the show look like their creation and are sacrificing the storylines of the books for that.

I've never been a fan of adult characters talking like they are confused teens (especially if the subject is something naughty or adult like sex) and for some reason that is happening A LOT here. It rarely sounds right and obviously is used for a comedic effect but it's such a simple and overused effect that it just annoys.

It took me days to finish the latest episode. I watched it for a few minutes until I just had to move to something else. I'm considering dropping the show altogether and start reading the books since they are apparently much better. And you know I'm not saying the show is a disaster since I've liked parts of it a lot but some aspects just annoy me too much. I'm not feeling the story is getting the treatment it deserves.

by Anonymousreply 63March 26, 2016 9:34 AM

So the show give us a brief mmf threesome

by Anonymousreply 64March 29, 2016 8:05 PM

I love the show. It's one of my favorite things on TV, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 65March 29, 2016 11:50 PM

I like the show, too. I'm not about to read the books upon which it is based, so some of the plotting seems convoluted, but I like the idea of magic being a science that can be taught, and the pitfalls arising therein. But did something happen to all of the faculty? You would think that if the young'uns are going through a crisis situation, there'd be someone around they could ask for guidance.

by Anonymousreply 66March 30, 2016 3:31 PM

How many more episodes?

by Anonymousreply 67April 1, 2016 9:22 PM

I want to fuck the lead guy so bad.

by Anonymousreply 68April 3, 2016 2:05 AM

Woah. So, a threesome happened?

by Anonymousreply 69April 4, 2016 11:10 PM

Apparently. And at the beginning of tonight's show we saw a little snipped of the gay guy and the lead guy making out.

by Anonymousreply 70April 5, 2016 1:08 AM

Quentin is so fucking adorable.

by Anonymousreply 71April 5, 2016 1:52 AM

So glad the homophobic bitch is no longer haunting this thread.

by Anonymousreply 72April 5, 2016 1:54 AM

don't get me wrong, i love a good threesome, but this one was so oddly placed. it seemed like it just happened all of a sudden, for no reason other than the writers decided they wanted a threesome.

by Anonymousreply 73April 5, 2016 2:04 AM

the lead guy always looks so sad and drippy, like he's followed by a perpetual rain cloud of emo. all i want to give him is a hug, a blanket, some hot soup, and a nap.

by Anonymousreply 74April 5, 2016 2:18 AM

R73, it was because of the side-effect of the emotion bottles. It was explained.

by Anonymousreply 75April 5, 2016 2:42 AM

Eliot ate some carrots. He's becoming a mess.

by Anonymousreply 76April 5, 2016 4:03 AM

The guy who plays Quentin is my fantasy boy friend.

by Anonymousreply 77April 5, 2016 5:07 AM

I saw him first, R77. Get away from him you BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 78April 5, 2016 5:08 AM

I want the extended version of that 3way.

by Anonymousreply 79April 5, 2016 5:52 AM

There was someone complaining about that on another forum r70. How dare the show gay up the lead, he's not gay in the books, it was only done for the tv show! Must say it amused me a little; the number of gay/bi characters from books, comics etc who have been straight-washed for tv...I'm still pissed about Constantine.

by Anonymousreply 80April 5, 2016 9:03 AM

They didn't GAY him up. They just had him experiment in a 3-way under magical influence. Big deal.

by Anonymousreply 81April 5, 2016 4:55 PM

Yeah, Quentin did regret the threeway. So big effin deal. I am psyched that the gang is now in Fillory. I hate how Elliot screws everything up for the others with his damn moping and drug induced shenanigans. You would think that the prospect of getting killed by the Beast would motivate Elliot to get out of his funk and bring his A-Game.

by Anonymousreply 82April 5, 2016 6:31 PM

I have to feel sorry for Q now that Alice has fucked Penny. How do you keep them down on the farm once they've seen Paree?

Mackenzie Astin is early 40s and Julia is supposed to be 18. And was the leader of her support group. Yeah, no.

by Anonymousreply 83April 6, 2016 2:27 AM

I want to see the out-takes from the 3way.

by Anonymousreply 84April 6, 2016 3:57 PM

fucking eliot. when you are on a literal life or death mission, you do not take anyone along who is a liability to the team's safety.

by Anonymousreply 85April 7, 2016 7:46 PM

that whole time loop reveal is still fucking with my head.

by Anonymousreply 86April 9, 2016 2:53 AM

Yeah, I didn't quite get that. Can someone go over it again? I didn't record it and probably wasn't paying as close attention as I should have at just that moment....

by Anonymousreply 87April 9, 2016 3:46 AM

Jane Chatwin/Eliza created a time loop in order to find a way to defeat The Beast. Janet/Eliza is the only one who was able to keep the time loop going and change things within the time loop (others, like Dean Figg, can only turn back the time). The thing that Janet/Eliza changed in this time loop the audience sees is that Julia is not accepted into Brakebills (in all the other time loops Quentin and Julia are accepted into Brakebills and face the Beast together).

by Anonymousreply 88April 9, 2016 6:02 AM

From what I got, Quentin has gone through this 39 times with Jane changing something each time to try and change the outcome, but everyone still ended up dying. After each failure, Jane would loop time back to when Quentin and Julia were brought to Brakebills (I think, not sure where it all restarts).

This time, the thing that changed was Julia not getting in to Brakebills. I think they said that because Julia never went, she had to learn the true meaning of magic on her own. I think she's stronger now than she would have been had she gone to Brakebills with the others.

by Anonymousreply 89April 9, 2016 6:03 AM

Thanks R88 & R89!

AND THE FINALE IS TOMORROW (today actually)!!!

This show is so good I may have to rewatch the entire thing before next season starts.

It's been renewed for a 2nd season, right?

by Anonymousreply 90April 11, 2016 6:24 AM

Yes, 13 episodes for 2017

by Anonymousreply 91April 11, 2016 7:59 AM

What epi was the 3-some?

by Anonymousreply 92April 11, 2016 10:25 AM

2 episodes ago ( Episode #11) . It's like in the last 10 minutes. In last week's episode Quentin has a few random flashback scenes about it as well.

by Anonymousreply 93April 11, 2016 12:03 PM

I forgot to put @ R92 in my post above.

by Anonymousreply 94April 11, 2016 12:05 PM

Whoever writes for this show should become a tenured professor of script writing somewhere ! Even though nothing is out of the ordinary in terms of storytelling, the character interactions, pacing, and backstories make this show so fun to watch. Who would have thought a whimsical slap from a fat satyr would unleash a load of truth like that. That was a surprise ending !!

by Anonymousreply 95April 12, 2016 2:33 AM

I understood the power of sperm magic, but everything else is the season ending was incomprehensible.

by Anonymousreply 96April 12, 2016 2:58 AM

[quote]Whoever writes for this show should become a tenured professor of script writing somewhere!

Agreed. The show tackles completely ridiculous stuff and heavy handed topics equally well. It's really kind of amazing.

by Anonymousreply 97April 12, 2016 3:35 AM

"..... Thank you".

God that was a perfect line delivered perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 98April 12, 2016 3:44 AM

"Come on, hon... pretend it's prom night and you just want to shut him up."

by Anonymousreply 99April 12, 2016 3:58 AM

Part of me thinks they did that just to avoid having the male lead drink a cup of cum on TV.

by Anonymousreply 100April 12, 2016 3:59 AM

Really? They end with a cliff-hanger? Like... a MAJOR cliff-hanger??

by Anonymousreply 101April 12, 2016 4:09 AM

My DVR cut off when Julia told the beast she wanted to make a deal, and then I think they disappeared? What happened after that?

by Anonymousreply 102April 12, 2016 5:36 AM

Virtually nothing... you got closeups of the rest... with Quentin being the only one really unscathed and conscious. And that's how it ended.

by Anonymousreply 103April 12, 2016 2:17 PM

Thank you, R103.

by Anonymousreply 104April 12, 2016 2:33 PM

Yeah, it just basically showed the dire straits everyone is in (closeup on handless, close-up on bleeding-out, close-up on the two knocked-out people), then a close up of Quintin's face looking horrified and breathing heavy and having no fucking clue what to do next.

by Anonymousreply 105April 12, 2016 6:13 PM

I didn't expect much from this show.

It totally blew me away. Amazingly good.

AND DEFINITELY NOT FOR KIDS!

by Anonymousreply 106April 12, 2016 6:49 PM

What shocks me most is that it's on SyFy. And I am sure the show makes a mint on DVD and Blu-Ray sales so viewers can hear it uncensored.

The poor guys from Julia's online witch circle. So full of hope and so convinced they found their way to a benevolent god.

Nice twist of Julia being able to wield the dagger.

by Anonymousreply 107April 12, 2016 6:57 PM

wow, so magical god cum, that's a thing i just saw on tv.

by Anonymousreply 108April 12, 2016 7:51 PM

Yup.

would have loved to see the male lead gulp down the magical god cum, but oh well.

by Anonymousreply 109April 12, 2016 10:31 PM

What's up with all the severing hand(s) stuff in shows this season?

Penny gets his hands cut off in the series' finale, also Hodge Starkweather, from Shadowhunters, Malcom Merlyn from Arrow, Snart in Legends of Tomorrow (freezes his and and then shatters it to get ouf of his handcuffs).

Is that all because of what happened once in one of the older Star Wars movies (Luke Skywalker in The Empire Strikes Back)?

by Anonymousreply 110April 13, 2016 2:01 PM

R110 also in the izombie finale last night, major severed some dead guy's hand b/c they needed the fingerprints to access a secret underground lab.

by Anonymousreply 111April 14, 2016 12:48 AM

Lotsa surprises in the finale - Eliot has to marry and stay in Fillery and the author is not the beast. That means that the brother killed his sister. I also expected the beast story to be resolved.

by Anonymousreply 112April 14, 2016 2:39 AM

when we were lead to believe the beast was the author, i was all about killing him, like, yeah, die child molester, die! but now that it's been revealed to be martin chatwin, i know he still has to die, b/c what he's done is still unforgivable, but now i'm just sad. that poor kid turned himself into a monster b/c he didn't ever wanna feel helpless again, that's so depressing.

by Anonymousreply 113April 14, 2016 3:30 AM

I just binged the entire series. Even though I'm not always sure exactly what's going on, and it took me a while to to tell the brunette girls apart, it's enjoyable. And Jason Ralph (Quentin) is SO cute. Just saw him in a movie called Those People where he played gay. Good actor.

Mr Sheffield as a pedo! Gasp!

by Anonymousreply 114August 9, 2016 5:18 AM

For the record, the threesome happened in the books as well - it wasn't a random thing thrown in just for the tv version. It was more subtle in the books but it was definitely there (there was a moment where Quentin remembered the feeling of Elliot's stubble when they kissed). Quentin also seemed to have a crush on Eliot in the books. When he caught Eliot giving a blow job to some guy, Quentin was jealous and wondered why Eliot hadn't propositioned him. In many ways, his relationship with Eliot seemed more important to him than his relationship with Alice. It will be interesting to see how season two plays out.

by Anonymousreply 115August 9, 2016 10:02 AM

SPOILERS, R114!!!!

:-)

I loved the show. I thought it was amazing. I'm so looking forward to season 2.

by Anonymousreply 116August 9, 2016 5:34 PM

Season two premiers on January 25th

by Anonymousreply 117November 10, 2016 10:38 PM

Anyone watching the marathon today ?

by Anonymousreply 118November 12, 2016 10:20 PM

Season 2: Characters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119December 19, 2016 5:05 PM

New trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120January 9, 2017 1:06 AM

They going to run another marathon for people to catch up on it? Before season 2 starts?

by Anonymousreply 121January 9, 2017 5:01 PM

Will it be as openly gay in season 2 as in season 1?

by Anonymousreply 122January 9, 2017 11:11 PM

I love this show. I'm binge watching it now. Loving the male leads. Especially the gay buddy. He's 6'2" but seems to tower over all the other characters. He's got a sensual vibe that is driving me crazy. I love how lean he is. It makes him look youthful. He's actually 30.

by Anonymousreply 123January 16, 2017 4:13 AM

The main long-haired guy is hot as FUCK. The fact that he hooked up with the gay guy is amazing. It's a great show.

by Anonymousreply 124January 16, 2017 4:27 AM

[quote] R35: How old are you that you still worry so much about mommy's disapproval?

Growup, R35. People, if they are lucky, will always love their parents and always revere them; always be embarrassed by unexpected, lurid sex scenes on the tele while watching with their parents; and when caught smoking, even at 45. Yes. It's the way things run around here. Now, scoot!

by Anonymousreply 125January 16, 2017 1:53 PM

[quote] R114: I just binged the entire series. Even though I'm not always sure exactly what's going on, and it took me a while to to tell the brunette girls apart, it's enjoyable.

Haha. I have an awful time telling women apart on screen, too. I wouldn't even know there are more than one brunette in this show, for sure, except for R114!

by Anonymousreply 126January 16, 2017 2:15 PM

What is it that gives Elliot the Gay vibe? An actor must know. How does he "act" Gay?

I see he does something with his upper body. Like, throwing his chest forward in a way that conveys Gay, but I can't describe it.

There is the cigarette smoking and drinking, and the dry wit. I don't know why being drunk or smart should sound Gay but it does here.

HELP, DL, I'm at a loss!

by Anonymousreply 127January 16, 2017 2:20 PM

Could it be the fact that the character is gay, R127?

by Anonymousreply 128January 16, 2017 2:45 PM

R128, The character is gay, I assume the actor is not??? What does he do to "act" gay?

by Anonymousreply 129January 16, 2017 2:53 PM

I have no idea what you're trying to ask, R127 R129.

Maybe sleeping with men?

by Anonymousreply 130January 16, 2017 2:59 PM

R130, I "sensed" he was Gay before he slept with a man, if he does. So, I'm wondering what the actor does, how he "acts", that alerted me and others that the character is Gay? I'm still at the early episodes.

by Anonymousreply 131January 16, 2017 6:56 PM

Lots of drug use on the show.

by Anonymousreply 132January 16, 2017 10:52 PM

I thought they made it obvious that Elliott is bi, not gay. They show that he has an interest in men, but they also made it quite clear that he's into his new bride in Fillory.

by Anonymousreply 133January 16, 2017 11:48 PM

The character is gay in the books, but who knows what they'll decide to do with the series.

by Anonymousreply 134January 16, 2017 11:51 PM

[quote] So, I'm wondering what the actor does, how he "acts", that alerted me and others that the character is Gay?

He flounces and wears pretty little waistcoats.

by Anonymousreply 135January 16, 2017 11:57 PM

He doesn't flounce.

by Anonymousreply 136January 17, 2017 12:37 AM

SEASON TWO STARTS TONIGHT!

It picks up directly after the end of season 1....

by Anonymousreply 137January 26, 2017 1:45 AM

R136, he does look like he's smelling cookies.

by Anonymousreply 138January 26, 2017 2:01 AM

I missed the show, but I think I've taped it. Yes, I am surprised how well produced it is. It reminds me of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" TV show, before it went to shit. The first 2-hour episode of Buffy was kickass. The same with this show.

by Anonymousreply 139January 26, 2017 2:07 AM

[quote]So, I'm wondering what the actor does, how he "acts", that alerted me and others that the character is Gay?

I mean....isn't this subjective?

by Anonymousreply 140January 26, 2017 9:39 AM

I love this show and don't miss an episode. As an eldergay I find the actor playing the beast to be anything but beastly...older dude is hot. Mackenzie Astin is also holding up rather well these days.

The Magicians is most definitely NOT for kids. At least non-sociopathic kidults. Syfy channel is airing this quality show?

by Anonymousreply 141January 26, 2017 10:42 AM

The gay guy who is now king had a bit role as a horny straight rapist in the movie "Teeth" (about a woman with teeth in her vagina)... and was quite convincing as straight.

by Anonymousreply 142January 26, 2017 2:40 PM

[quote] So, I'm wondering what the actor does, how he "acts", that alerted me and others that the character is Gay?

[quote] R140: I mean....isn't this subjective?

I don't think it's subjective, and that's part of my point. I was able to discern that this character was gay, and the lead actor was not, before it was made explicit. I can't quite figure-out what the clues were, that tripped my gaydar. But it must have been something.

I figure it must not be subjective at all, since the straight actor who was playing the gay character must have adapted characteristics to project gayness to the audience. So, I'm guessing the actor said to himself, "ok, how do I act to project gayness to the audience." And I am curious how he did it,

by Anonymousreply 143January 27, 2017 4:09 AM

Again, that would be subjective. You're perception of the character being gay--or tripping your "Gaydar" is based on your personal experiences because he doesn't really trip mine. I think you're look for some hidden meaning into discerning someone's sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 144January 29, 2017 10:10 AM

Well, Elliot wears mascara for one.... Did no one notice that? He gives off an Oscar Wilde vibe to me. The first few episodes you couldn't really tell due to the relationship with the girl, but it became more obvious quickly.

Like everyone else I have a crush on the lead actor. He's so cute.

I find Penny irritating so wasn't entirely unhappy to see him be-handed.

Julia is annoying.

Haven't watched the premiere yet of Season 2.

Isn't there only one book, "The Magicians"?

I wish they'd done it this well with The Dresden Files. The show was a bit of a mess but I loved the books.

by Anonymousreply 145January 29, 2017 10:47 AM

Mascara = eyeliner (not sure if same thing, just clarifying).

by Anonymousreply 146January 29, 2017 10:49 AM

Charles Mesure is the hot, intense guy who plays the beast. Now I know.

Penny is more emotional than adolescent, hormonal girl.

Julia can't get through an episode without crying. She and Penny sound like a match made in dysfunctional emo hell.

by Anonymousreply 147January 29, 2017 11:01 AM

R127, I think the actor plays the part as an upper class/public school Brit. He gives off a sort of Brideshead vibe. The languid demeanour along with the clothes and hair give that feeling. Hale Appleman seems to have it off to a T. It is the gay or British thing. In this case it has to be gay. Not sure if I have expressed this well but hope you get the drift.

by Anonymousreply 148January 29, 2017 11:20 AM

I'm usually not into sci-fi/fantasy stuff, but I started watching the show because friends kept telling me that the main character reminds them of me..from 20 years ago. Yep, I had that same long hair, puppy dog eyes, thrift store wardrobe, skinny waist...sigh. Now I'm a gray haired "daddy" (ugh). I really only miss the skinny waist!

Anyway, love this show, even if I do get lost.

by Anonymousreply 149January 29, 2017 12:05 PM

You can play gay, or come off as gay, when you have the sophisticated, or snobby, attitude of a dandy. Well put together, well groomed, the nose up in ther air, looking down on common people and things and be snarky all the time. It also helps when you use a prop like a lit fag (aka cigarette) while doing expressive hand motions. Basically a flamboyant wizard.

I love the start of the new season. I wonder if the Beast likes to collect the shards (souls?) of little kids and that's why he seeks their company? I love the sinister vibe of the show that deals with a world of children book franchise. It's like the original Grim Fairytale stuff but with a bit more camp and humor.

by Anonymousreply 150January 29, 2017 1:11 PM

I really think the Beast with the moths obscuring his face was terrifying, and the music that would appear when he is present, with the single mother appearing, then more. Has to be the best monster I've seen in ages. Reminds me of a surrealist painting.

by Anonymousreply 151January 29, 2017 5:53 PM

Seriously, go watch the movie "Teeth" (I'm sure it's streaming somewhere)... the gay guy plays a straight guy and is very convincing.

HE's just a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 152January 29, 2017 5:59 PM

The Beast reminds me of this painting, and others like it, specifically. Just something inherently Wrong and uncomfortable about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153January 29, 2017 6:04 PM

[quote] R145: find Penny irritating so wasn't entirely unhappy to see him be-handed.

Agreed, Penny is irritating. The actor played the sexy drug addicted AA or NA-going nurse on "Nurse Jackie". He is of East Asian descent.

I have a crush on the gay-ish guy.

by Anonymousreply 154January 29, 2017 10:39 PM

The gay-ish guy is GAY. He had a boyfriend in season one for goodness sake, who turned out to be evil. There was a scene of them in bed together. He also had a drunk-on-magic three way with his hag and Quentin. Have y'all not seen season one?

by Anonymousreply 155January 30, 2017 2:54 AM

I wrote Gay-ish because the TeeVee Guide refers to him as bisexual, and he does comment about his girls friend every so often. Why can't he just be Gay?

It is cute that I've heard him say at least twice that he wanted to pat the lead actors butt.

by Anonymousreply 156January 30, 2017 5:17 AM

It does seem like they're trying to make Eliot more bisexual. Not sure how I feel about that.

by Anonymousreply 157January 30, 2017 5:28 AM

He wanted to have a bunch of hot naked guys around in order for him to have sex with his queen so yeah... not straight.

by Anonymousreply 158February 2, 2017 1:31 AM

The show should be on HBO to show more nudity (so many hot guys naked and not even a single ass shot? C'mon!) and uncensored swearing.

I love the cynical view on magic and farming in the latest episode. Also the Beast singing and dancing is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 159February 2, 2017 4:38 PM

weird episode so far.

by Anonymousreply 160February 3, 2017 2:30 AM

Eliot's wife is too uptight. Embrace the orgy, betch

by Anonymousreply 161February 3, 2017 2:55 PM

yes, i've had to watch this episode twice to really take it in...

by Anonymousreply 162February 3, 2017 3:13 PM

Enjoyed ep 2 much more than 1. That Beast is one sexy beast.

I thought they were making Elliott bi as well but this episode seemed to indicate he was gay. Besides ogling hot guys constantly, I also think he mentions the day after the nixed orgy that he couldn't 'perform' with the queen and would have to find another way to get off. Or am I remembering that wrong?

by Anonymousreply 163February 4, 2017 8:52 PM

I love how clueless the magic-folk were about making things grow without magic...

by Anonymousreply 164February 7, 2017 6:21 PM

NEW EPISODE TONIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 165February 8, 2017 7:53 PM

Am I the only one here who appreciates a vicious bitch 😮 ?

Are we not going to discuss the fall of one of the members of this great tribe 😢 ?

by Anonymousreply 166February 9, 2017 8:04 PM

Are we not going to discuss how freakin' hilarious that goat-god is?

The actor is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 167February 9, 2017 9:26 PM

Great episode, but brutal at the end. Poor Marina and Cupcake.

by Anonymousreply 168February 9, 2017 9:31 PM

R167 I still try to seduce my friends into watching this show my mentioning goat jizz and slapping the shit out of someone to remove a spell. I find it funny the human characters take things so serious and try so hard, but the goat can shit in a source of magic like it's nothing special 🤣. There is a character actor ( not John C. Reily) who I want to say was in E.R. that favors him. He was in a lot of commercials and guest spots circa 1998-2002. Ugh!! it's gonna bother me to no end until I figure out who I mean.

R168 I found it funny she loved her cat more than people. I don't get how as clever as Marina was, she didn't have a Plan B in case her summoning worked and Julia's plan didn't . I understand " character inflicted stupidity" must happen sometimes for the betterment of the plot , but this series deviates so much characterwise from the books they could have fudged something and let her live . Also that psychological role-reversal was cute. " It doesn't take Freud to see a God who preys on chicks is compensating for ... something... What even are you god of ? goat herding, grapes.. oh wait is it manure? I bet you love coming here and fucking with mortals cuz back in God land you don't even rank. "

Salud !🥂 to a great character !

Also Margo 💗 💗 " I'm highhhhhhh mutha fuckin Queen" . Queen slayed til the end 💗 💗 💗

by Anonymousreply 169February 10, 2017 6:51 AM

God I so want to fuck Quentin. Or at least just make out with him.

by Anonymousreply 170February 16, 2017 1:48 AM

This show is nothing of not unpredictable (for those of us who haven't read the books).

by Anonymousreply 171February 16, 2017 2:31 AM

IF not predictable.... (stupid auto-correct)

by Anonymousreply 172February 16, 2017 3:54 AM

I give up. You know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 173February 16, 2017 3:54 AM

Great show. I am pleasantly surprised how far it goes in terns of guy on guy action for SyFy standards. The brief glimpse of Elliot's (or his clone's) ass was nice, too. Elliot is surprisingly hot underneath all that brooding snob demeanor.

I can't think I've ever seen a funnier scene about chopping someone's hands off.

I don't know if it was just pure luck or the casting agency did some great casting on this show. Jason Ralph is fucking amazing in this. He can play neurotic pretty well and still you care and feel for the character.

by Anonymousreply 174February 16, 2017 11:12 AM

Fuck a duck, Jai is fit fat now

by Anonymousreply 175February 16, 2017 2:09 PM

So is the lead female character actually DEAD dead? Like Game of Thrones unexpectedly kill off a major character dead?

Or is she coming back somehow?

by Anonymousreply 176February 17, 2017 1:48 PM

In the novels, she comes back but not until the 3rd book.

by Anonymousreply 177February 18, 2017 2:09 AM

Thanks, R177.

I want to console and comfort Quentin.

by Anonymousreply 178February 19, 2017 3:10 PM

God! Why the hell didn't they kill Julia instead? She's the most fucking annoying character and ruins everything. She's like the Eeyore of the magical world. Kill her off and put her out of her self-absorbed misery, please.

by Anonymousreply 179February 19, 2017 6:35 PM

r179, I guess her character has still some purpose to further the plot of the series.

by Anonymousreply 180February 19, 2017 6:39 PM

The lesson here is simple: Guzzling a quart of goat cum leads to death.

by Anonymousreply 181February 21, 2017 10:19 PM

Please don't denegrate Eeyore. I know you're upset, R179, but please.

by Anonymousreply 182February 21, 2017 10:55 PM

Fun fact: the Christmas Moose has a stuffed Eeyore that he talks to when he thinks nobody is looking.

by Anonymousreply 183February 22, 2017 3:47 PM

I don't care about that blonde chick one way or the other

by Anonymousreply 184February 26, 2017 7:12 PM

I just want Quentin to come and cuddle with me.

by Anonymousreply 185February 27, 2017 12:37 AM

Last night's episode of Magicians was called "The Cock Barrens". Not even joking.

by Anonymousreply 186March 2, 2017 12:53 PM

Impatiently waiting for the new season to be on Netflix. Guess I could torrent it...

by Anonymousreply 187March 2, 2017 2:21 PM

Well, we have confirmation at least that Quentin sucked Elliot's dick.

by Anonymousreply 188March 9, 2017 1:17 AM

Ok I must confess I stopped reading the novels. What did Dean Fogg mean when he said he and Julia had history tonight ? I'm clueless bout wtf he's talking about unless he means something that happened in a time loop.

by Anonymousreply 189March 9, 2017 3:51 AM

Fogg might have been talking about when Quentin was stuck in that mental hospital dream because of Julia and Marina.

by Anonymousreply 190March 9, 2017 7:23 AM

You knew that the bank heist was going to go wrong like that. I don't understand why he didn't just get above the gold bars and sit on them while filling the bag.

by Anonymousreply 191March 9, 2017 2:54 PM

So, Eliot is dead after all (the next week trailer shows a funeral and an open casket)? That would suck.

by Anonymousreply 192March 9, 2017 6:11 PM

R190 I thought about that , but wasn't sure. Thanks for the reply. I was kinda hoping it was a reference to something in one of the books.

R191 I know !!! Character inflicted stupidity is sometimes a necessity for plot purposes, but that type of stupidity is just.......ughhhhhhhh annoying.

R192 it is highly doubtful he is dead. His clay golem died , but the shock of seems to have put him in a coma.

by Anonymousreply 193March 10, 2017 9:46 PM

I'm an episode behind in my watching. I love Eliot. If he's dead, I shall throw a hissy fit the likes of which have not been seen in Fillery or beyond!

by Anonymousreply 194March 10, 2017 11:54 PM

He's definitely in trouble, but I doubt he's dead. It's just drama.

by Anonymousreply 195March 11, 2017 5:40 PM

Fuck a duck, the male chauvinist pig/tree was hot. Also, why does a tree need to wear pants?

by Anonymousreply 196March 16, 2017 3:00 PM

So Grey Damon's role (as the Dryad) was just a one episode stint? That sucks. He looked hot even with the moss get up.

Julie's such a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 197March 16, 2017 4:51 PM

Sorry, JULIA is such a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 198March 16, 2017 5:00 PM

Grey Damon in The Magicians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199March 16, 2017 5:03 PM

Huh? I missed that R188.

by Anonymousreply 200March 16, 2017 5:03 PM

So... is the gay character dead or not?

by Anonymousreply 201March 16, 2017 8:06 PM

r200, HOW THE FUCK DID YOU MISS IT?

by Anonymousreply 202March 17, 2017 4:50 AM

R201, of course not, R201.

by Anonymousreply 203March 17, 2017 4:50 AM

R202, I read that he died but that maybe there was a twist or something that could bring him back.

by Anonymousreply 204March 17, 2017 7:43 AM

Somebody called R202. Don't you HATE that?

by Anonymousreply 205March 17, 2017 9:25 AM

R205, I don't answer my phone during my favorite shows. People know how to text or leave voice-mail.

by Anonymousreply 206March 17, 2017 2:30 PM

VERY consequential episode tonight. This show is so good.

AND A MUSICAL SCENE!!

Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 207March 23, 2017 5:11 AM

Eliot got his DILF

by Anonymousreply 208March 23, 2017 6:13 AM

So syfylis has been systematically muting fucks for some reason (they don't do it on the expanse), but now they let "cunt" through. OK

Also, was Lt. Simcoe the fairy ambassador, or was I too shit faced?

by Anonymousreply 209March 23, 2017 3:12 PM

[quote] was I too shit faced?

Is that even possible?

by Anonymousreply 210March 23, 2017 3:14 PM

Bro beans R210, you have no idea

by Anonymousreply 211March 23, 2017 3:19 PM

Such a great, fun, freaky show.

by Anonymousreply 212March 24, 2017 12:01 AM

So what exactly is Alice now?

by Anonymousreply 213March 24, 2017 3:50 AM

r213, Alice turned into the same thing as her brother: A Niffin

[quote]Niffins are powerful beings of magical energy that are created when a Magician fails to maintain an emotionless mind while controlling a spell and becomes consumed by it. The Magician is then enveloped by a blue fire that takes over their body.

by Anonymousreply 214March 24, 2017 8:55 AM

Such a great show. Three more episodes...

by Anonymousreply 215March 31, 2017 8:22 PM

So what happened to Julia's shade? Did they reconnect off camera or did she leave her behind?

by Anonymousreply 216April 6, 2017 2:26 PM

She was left behind.

by Anonymousreply 217April 6, 2017 3:01 PM

I want a Jason Ralph of my very own.

by Anonymousreply 218April 6, 2017 3:21 PM

Too late, R218, I've already called dibs.

by Anonymousreply 219April 6, 2017 4:26 PM

QQ and Todd should totes get all hopped on dope and have a fuck on a rainbow. That'd be sweet

by Anonymousreply 220April 9, 2017 9:46 PM

I think Eliot is the sexiest guy going.

by Anonymousreply 221April 9, 2017 11:20 PM

Good news, everyone! Mopey QQ will be back for season 3

by Anonymousreply 222April 12, 2017 6:54 PM

Trogdor!!! HA

by Anonymousreply 223April 13, 2017 3:14 PM

I want to console Mopey QQ..

by Anonymousreply 224April 18, 2017 8:36 PM

This is a suitably epic finale.

by Anonymousreply 225April 20, 2017 1:57 AM

Okay, I missed something. That opening scene in the first episode of the season was referenced in the narration at the beginning of this finale... and he said "don't worry, it'll pay off".

Um... did it? Did I miss the payoff? Or the significance?

Help?

by Anonymousreply 226April 20, 2017 2:04 AM

Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 227April 20, 2017 2:38 PM

I get at least one honest-to-God belly laugh out of each episode of this show.

by Anonymousreply 228April 20, 2017 3:12 PM

I lasted three episodes.

Dumbledore for snarky millennios.

No.

by Anonymousreply 229April 20, 2017 5:31 PM

You're so wrong, R229.

by Anonymousreply 230April 20, 2017 5:38 PM

R226, I wondered the same thing. I'll have to go back and watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 231April 20, 2017 5:40 PM

Great season finale (I liked this one better than The Expanse's).

Magic's gone ... or is it?

Love the "Gods have parents!" twist or reveal. But why do Fairies seem to have some magic left?

by Anonymousreply 232April 20, 2017 8:20 PM

Expanse, like last season, didn't align the season finale with the end of the book... The "season one finale" was more like season 2, episode 5. They're not done with book 2 yet, and the "natural" finale is probably going to come some episodes into season 3.

by Anonymousreply 233April 21, 2017 5:16 AM

R231, you'd think that if they explicitly call out "don't worry, that'll pay off", that it would OBVIOUSLY pay off. I kept waiting... but don't recall the event ever being referenced again.

Was it cut out of the American broadcast? Or is it something that will "pay off" next season?

by Anonymousreply 234April 21, 2017 11:53 AM

Maybe it was sarcastic, R231. It was an Ember joke, remember.

by Anonymousreply 235April 21, 2017 2:16 PM

Perhaps, but ... I still feel like I missed something. Why even bother with that scene at the open of the season, then reference it strongly in the finale, if it has no effect?

Maybe it will pay off next season?

I'm still puzzled though... a rare false note in an otherwise excellent season.

by Anonymousreply 236April 28, 2017 8:07 PM

Great trailer for the third season. Looks like it'll be the best one yet! I was obsessed with the second season but wasn't yet on DL at the time so I just had the show's subreddit to talk it out with other people. And let me tell you, that place definitely doesn't appreciate hot men as much as posters on this thread do.

Starts January 10th. I'm so excited!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237November 26, 2017 1:05 AM

First episode of the new season airs today!

by Anonymousreply 238January 10, 2018 8:43 PM

Love this show.

by Anonymousreply 239January 10, 2018 9:18 PM

Good to see this show back.

by Anonymousreply 240January 11, 2018 5:53 AM

Great start to the season!

I hope Elliot finds true love eventually with Abigail's interpreter Rafe (Sergio Osuna). Just look at this cute Mexican Canadian!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241January 11, 2018 1:17 PM

The pop culture "code" speak in the woods was genius

by Anonymousreply 242January 11, 2018 1:30 PM

Had to watch that scene twice. That was hilarious.

And the fairy Queen is none other than Caitlyn Jenner's best girlfriend, Candy Cayne (sp?). She does give off a trans vibe.

by Anonymousreply 243January 11, 2018 11:12 PM

Fuck a duck, QQ sure does have massive forearms. Is it from all the hand wringing? (I'm asking for a friend)

by Anonymousreply 244January 12, 2018 7:10 PM

The show is really fun in a quirky way. Thank you, SyFy for keeping it (shame on BBC America canceling Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, another great and fun show).

by Anonymousreply 245January 15, 2018 8:54 PM

In the first episode you can see the shadow of the camera man in the last scene moving with the camera shot, right before the end credits start.

Storywise it's a great set up for the new season.

by Anonymousreply 246January 15, 2018 8:57 PM

How did I miss this thread for so long?!

Love the show.

by Anonymousreply 247January 15, 2018 9:08 PM

Anyone love Hale Appleman as Elliot, High King of Fillory? He is so tall, handsome, gay and quite sexy. His storyline as the King and his wacky subjects are amusing.

He is so close to Margo. Are they like Will and Grace? A gay man with his hag? They always have their arms around each other, I feel they're going to fuck any minute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248January 15, 2018 11:57 PM

I hope they don't fuck. Let's keep him gay.

by Anonymousreply 249January 16, 2018 12:01 AM

He sort of fucked his wife or his doppelgänger did as she's pregnant or had the baby. Nope, Elliott and Margo are like brother and sister.

Anyway, I think Appleman is gay in real life. He had an interview and no pronouns were used when asked about his dating life.

by Anonymousreply 250January 16, 2018 12:10 AM

Jason Ralph, cutie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251January 16, 2018 6:11 AM

I am totally smitten (okay, obsessed & in lust with) him, R251)

by Anonymousreply 252January 16, 2018 8:57 AM

Me too, R252, I like looking at his face. He has sweet puppy dog eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253January 16, 2018 9:29 AM

How could you forget Eliot, Margot and Quentins threesome in season 1? Anyway, Hale Appleman is clearly gay, just look at his Twitter follows - what straight guy follows Rufus Wainwright and Gideon Glick?

by Anonymousreply 254January 16, 2018 4:32 PM

The actor who played Eliot's boyfriend (who was secretly possessed by evil and who spent one episode licking a doorknob) was fucking HOT.

Anyone know anything about him?

by Anonymousreply 255January 16, 2018 4:38 PM

Jesse Luken? His posts on social media give me the impression he's leaving the door half-open in case of future success, if you catch my drift.

Here's a nice photo of him with a bunny. He seems very into dogs as well so that's nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256January 16, 2018 4:58 PM

I didn't know that Jason Ralph was in a longterm relationship with Rachel Brosnahan until I saw the GG awards.

by Anonymousreply 257January 17, 2018 7:17 AM

[quote] what straight guy follows Rufus Wainwright and Gideon Glick?

LA "Hipsters".

by Anonymousreply 258January 17, 2018 12:21 PM

Such a great episode tonight.

by Anonymousreply 259January 18, 2018 2:10 AM

Elliott is so cool and kingly.

by Anonymousreply 260January 18, 2018 2:11 AM

Great episode. That lamprey is not to be fucked with and now it has Q. Or was that another player entirely?

I find Montréal's Patrick Sabongui, who plays the chief of Eliot's guard, very sexy.

R257 I was shocked when I found that out in the GG live thread. Hollywood seems such a small place sometimes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261January 18, 2018 1:17 PM

I'm also partial to the bartender, played by Andres Joseph. The casting for this show is on point when it comes to cute guys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262January 18, 2018 1:19 PM

yeah, the bartender was very cute. Hopefully, see him in more episodes.

R261, I noticed that Margo was checking out Elliot's head swordsman. I predict there will be a love triangle between Margo-Swordsman-Elliott in the future which will cause a rift in the Elliot/Margo bond.

by Anonymousreply 263January 18, 2018 9:43 PM

No love for Penny, Arjun Gupta? That man has a seriously hot bod; he's frequently running around shirtless with only a jacket on. I think the show-runner has to be gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264January 18, 2018 9:50 PM

R263 Ah, so *he* is the head swordsman who doesn't speak, right. I got confused because he never got properly introduced so I thought he was the head of the guard. And then there's that admiral who basically just vanished for the rest of the episode.

I completely missed Margo ogling him but I would definitely like to see that love triangle! And those gorgeous guys standing guard on the pier as Eliot and Margo were saying their goodbyes... my god. The very best Canadian modelling agencies have to offer, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 265January 18, 2018 10:00 PM

R264 Arjun's hotness is suffering a bit this season on account of all that cancer riddling his character's body. I'm sure he'll be back in ridiculously skimpy outfits as soon as he gets better.

Look at him here, all done up in traditional attire, like some Indian prince. Never knew embroidery and pearls could look so good on a man before. I wouldn't mind walking down the aisle if [italic]this[/italic] was waiting for me at the altar. I wouldn't mind that at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266January 18, 2018 10:18 PM

why is no one on DL watching Happy! with Chris Meloni? it is one of the funniest, weirdest shows on TV. i've loved it so much i've watch every episode at least 2x.

by Anonymousreply 267January 18, 2018 10:19 PM

R267 You can find some discussion of that show in the linked thread. Add a couple of thoughts and perhaps you'll be surprised at how many people are watching it.

I admit this is the first time I'm hearing about it. However, it only has seven episodes and the IMDb score is pretty high so I'll definitely check it out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268January 18, 2018 10:27 PM

Actually, the official Happy! thread is here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269January 18, 2018 11:44 PM

I didn't link to the official thread, I purposefully linked to the one that has more discussion about the show despite the mean-spirited thread title.

Anyway, back to our magicians. I'm loving how the commentariat on the AV Club is bitching under every unrelated article because the writing staff dropped the weekly reviews of this show. I enjoyed that *very* fun comment section last year more than any other on that site so I totally get why they feel so strongly about it. That whole place is really turning to shit, and fast.

by Anonymousreply 270January 19, 2018 12:02 AM

I didn't know Gupta was on Nurse Jackie. He looks totally different.

I love that both Gupta (6'1") and Appleman (6'2") are tall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271January 19, 2018 1:46 AM

Dina Meyer will be joining the cast this season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272January 19, 2018 6:50 PM

R272 I see on IMDb she's playing the Stone Queen, whoever that is (haven't read the books).

Her body of work is pretty extensive but I'm not really familiar with any of those projects. Was she kinda sorta big in the early oughts?

by Anonymousreply 273January 19, 2018 7:01 PM

The torture artist has to be Penny's gf, right? But how? Am I missing some kinky significance here?

Also, I like how the lamprey gained entry thru the b hole, so the transfer to QQ was an ass to mouth type situation

by Anonymousreply 274January 19, 2018 7:43 PM

R274 The consensus on Reddit seems to be that the torture artist is Alice (because of her escapades when she was god-like), with Kady being the warrior (she specializes in battle magic).

by Anonymousreply 275January 19, 2018 7:49 PM

^^^ I can see it. Thanks, bro beans

by Anonymousreply 276January 19, 2018 9:06 PM

[quote] “You have friends, don’t you?” the peacock man asks him, and gives a rundown: the one-eyed conqueror (Margo, ready to “go full ’07 Britney”); the traveler (Penny); the warrior (Kady); the fool (Quentin); the god-touched (Julia); and, er, the torture artist. That would be Alice, one eyebrow quirked.

I wouldn't mind seeing Alice go, her neurotic torture act is getting tiresome. I would prefer they kept her dead so she could become a major villain but I guess they want Q to be groveling after her forever, ugh. I don't like Q and Alice as a couple, I prefer him with his childhood pal, Julia.

by Anonymousreply 277January 19, 2018 9:11 PM

Loved Margo and the pirate "king" in this week's episode, and agree with R277 that Alice could go and the show would be fine. Or revert to super-villainy. But the whole "life was better when I was a niffin" schtick is getting really old.

I also hadn't noticed Olivia Taylor Dudley's rather ample bosom until she taped herself in as protection from the lamprey.

by Anonymousreply 278January 26, 2018 6:09 PM

Great episode. I hated the little detours (like their little adventure in Alice's home this week) during the first and the second season but this season I recognized that the journey *is* the destination, so I relaxed and now I love the side plots.

The fairy queen is one scary mofo. The trans actress is doing a wonderful job playing her but that ashy makeup is not flattering to her face at all. Every single fine line on her face is visible. The boat rape thing took me by surprise and just when I thought the show couldn't surprise me anymore!

I still love Alice and yeah, her tatas are huge. I can't stop staring at them, actually.

by Anonymousreply 279January 26, 2018 6:19 PM

Before this week "boat rape" wasn't even a thing.

That is the power of this show.

by Anonymousreply 280January 27, 2018 12:10 AM

I'm kind of in love with Jason Ralph.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281January 27, 2018 12:27 AM

Jason Ralph was great playing gay in Those People

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282January 27, 2018 2:20 AM

Hands off, R281, I saw him first!

by Anonymousreply 283January 27, 2018 6:02 AM

[quote] Alice and yeah, her tatas are huge. I can't stop staring at them, actually.

They're pretty distracting. It's like these huge melons on her chest. I wonder if they're fake or real.

by Anonymousreply 284January 27, 2018 8:37 AM

But, but - Penny isn't *really* dead, is he?

by Anonymousreply 285January 27, 2018 12:22 PM

R285, I haven't read the books so I don't know what to expect or what has been preordained by the source material, but I would guess that he's astral-projected himself (his soul?) to safety, so he'll be around.

And, once magic is restored, he could be dropped back into his physical body by the others.

by Anonymousreply 286January 27, 2018 4:19 PM

I wonder what player possessed that homeless person who transmitted the message to Julia. Please don't spoil it if you've read the book.

R285 I don't think they'd just kill off Penny unceremoniously like that. He's definitely coming back sooner or later.

by Anonymousreply 287January 27, 2018 5:14 PM

Penny can't die, he has a job to do.

by Anonymousreply 288January 28, 2018 3:31 AM

Ohhhh gay ghosts!

by Anonymousreply 289February 1, 2018 4:46 AM

I'd completely forgotten about the Margollum!

And I love Hyman -- great addition to the cast.

by Anonymousreply 290February 1, 2018 12:31 PM

Penny really brought all the different plots neatly together this episode. I can't think of any other series right now I'm enjoying as much as this one and ST: Discovery.

I also loved Hyman even though we'll probably never see him again. Dustin Ingram really went for it and pulled some hilarious facial expressions.

So do we think the fairies are the ones giving Julia messages? Do they want those keys for themselves or what? It's so weird how they're everywhere. I wouldn't mind seeing a fairy pogrom or two at this point. Leave it to this show to make me start hating the fairies.

by Anonymousreply 291February 1, 2018 12:52 PM

Next week's episode has been generating a tonne of excitement among those who've seen it already.

[quote]Episode 305 of #TheMagicians is easily the series' loveliest hour to date. That is all I can say, plus it's really about feelings anyway.

[quote]I can’t wait for everyone to see episode 5 of this season of #TheMagicians. It is one of the best hours of tv I’ve ever seen in my life. It is so beautiful. I cried. A couple times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292February 1, 2018 1:53 PM

Ey, R289, not just any gay ghost, that's Rupert Chatwin who was just outed in that episode. Btw, none of this stuff happens in the books - Penny doesn't die, there are no fairies muddling in the magicians' business, Alice's father doesn't die and so on.

by Anonymousreply 293February 2, 2018 9:46 AM

Hey, Penny.

by Anonymousreply 294February 2, 2018 4:01 PM

It was shite.

But we live in a world where adults argue over superhero comic book publishers. So I predict it will be a hit.

by Anonymousreply 295February 2, 2018 6:26 PM

Considering the fact that this is its third season r295, you certainly ain't my psychic friend.

by Anonymousreply 296February 2, 2018 6:29 PM

SyFyLys stopped muting the fucks on this thing, but a Cucknadian channel called showcase is still doing it. Losers

P.S. Todd!!!11 <3

by Anonymousreply 297February 2, 2018 7:37 PM

Here's a nice article celebrating Hale/ Eliot. He's looking so fine in these photos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298February 3, 2018 12:01 PM

I love this show because the actors are so good---especially Ralph-- and some of its lines makes me laugh out loud.

Quentin to the cop after Alice's cat got near a Lamprey: "Her cat exploded. They do that sometimes."

by Anonymousreply 299February 6, 2018 3:32 AM

An absolutely brilliant episode tonight! DAMN!

by Anonymousreply 300February 8, 2018 2:31 AM

Wow, that was an amazing episode. Also nice to see the reminder that Quintin's bisexual (or pansexual)

by Anonymousreply 301February 8, 2018 4:41 AM

disappointed in the acting/actors....

by Anonymousreply 302February 8, 2018 5:09 AM

Let's talk about that Quentin/Elliot hook up! Why did you guys decide to have those two share a night together amidst all the puzzling?

Gamble: It felt true about their relationship... What would these two people do if they were together every single day of their lives in one location, and frankly they've hooked up before. It just didn't seem that weird to us that they might get drunk one night and one of them would make a pass at the other.

McLaughlin: The last time they hooked up, it was a Margo sandwich.

Gamble: Yeah, last time it was a threesome.

McLaughlin: But there was the reference in dialogue, I believe, in that episode or the next episode, where Alice (Olivia Taylor Dudley) says to Quentin because she walked in on the threesome, "The last time I saw you Elliot's dick was in your mouth." So that's on record. It didn't come out of nowhere.

Gamble: We say this a lot when we're talking about the show, but the job of the writer is often just to sit around and talk about what they did when they were in their 20s, and occasionally getting drunk and sleeping with a friend is a fairly normal part of being in your 20s, especially in a situation when you are very intensely hanging out with them to the exclusive of almost everyone else for a long period of time. That's the causes and conditions for a hook up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303February 8, 2018 5:51 AM

A nice enough episode that was let down by some really flat acting, like r302 said. Especially Quentin's.

My weekly hot totty shout-out goes to Winnipeg's Markian Tarasiuk. The showrunners giveth and the showrunners taketh away. I knew it was too good to be true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304February 8, 2018 11:22 AM

[quote]let down by some really flat acting

What about the awful "aging" make-up and hair, though? I know they're on a tight budget but, c'mon. That was bad.

After all the pre-episode hype for this one, I was disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 305February 8, 2018 11:51 AM

R305 Yeah, that was the worst part. I kinda gave up on that side plot when Quentin spoke in his usual voice under all that awful makeup. I feel like they wanted to wring this huge emotional response out of us but couldn't be bothered to put in the necessary work. And that goes for everyone involved. People hyping up this episode with those tweets I posted here last week must not have seen much quality (let alone Peak) television before. I was also pretty disappointed.

This scene at least was unexpected and a nice touch. The beauty of all life they were trying to reflect with that mosaic actually involves falling in love, having your heart broken, friendship, hard work (or at least aspiration), pain and pleasure, birth and death. And the nature around us, of course, represented by the fruit in Ariel's basket. Quite poetic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306February 8, 2018 12:03 PM

Frolicking on a mosaic, as one does.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307February 8, 2018 12:05 PM

Oh for chrissakes, some poor old-age makeup does not spoil such an amazing and beautiful episode as this one.

by Anonymousreply 308February 8, 2018 2:19 PM

Is anyone bothered by the hair on the fairy queen's face? She has a load of pancake makeup on but you can see the tiny hairs on her face.

by Anonymousreply 309February 10, 2018 8:09 PM

The closeup side shot against the light in HD is the most unflattering bitch to actresses these days. I remember seeing an A-lister with ridiculously long beard fuzz in some TV show last year (forgot which one). I gasped and couldn't believe no one caught that in post. However, can you imagine saying to that actress she should consider shaving her face? It's just not happening.

This is on makeup artists alone. They should discreetly use hair removal pads on the talent's face and just tell them it'll make their skin prettier. Or that it's standard procedure or something. I've tried it once a decade ago and it's fast and extremely thorough. Not even exaggerating, your face can be fuzz-free in a minute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310February 10, 2018 10:10 PM

yes, but other actresses are shot up close and they don't exhibit facial hair. The actress is a MTF, I just assumed this is why....or else they need a better makeup artist.

by Anonymousreply 311February 10, 2018 11:43 PM

Fuzz on faces on camera (when filmed correctly) makes them look luminous. Monroe had that.

by Anonymousreply 312February 11, 2018 1:33 AM

Fuzz on the lips that looks like a thin mustache. Yech. They really need to put vaseline on the lens when they show her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313February 11, 2018 2:10 AM

It's not fuzz, it's a scar. Which you can clearly observe in some other photos where she's smiling and the scar creases with the smile. You honestly believe her whole face would be smooth as a baby's bottom but she'd leave a wisp on her lip just so people could make fun of her on social media? As if she didn't receive enough abuse already. And I don't understand why she's being gang-handed here like that. Feels like I'm in primary school again.

Anyway, I forgot to mention this was my very first episode without the expletives getting muted and I was shocked the first time it happened. However, it does feel less edgy now that you can actually hear those words, doesn't it? Funny how our brain works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314February 11, 2018 2:56 PM

Wish there had been a Eliot/Questin sex scene. I'm sure Q is a bottom. Love that he's pretty much pansexual.

by Anonymousreply 315February 11, 2018 3:45 PM

So Quentin got married but Elliot became the lonely old uncle? It went by too fast to make an impact.

by Anonymousreply 316February 11, 2018 8:14 PM

They were a family, R316. The three of them.

by Anonymousreply 317February 11, 2018 8:21 PM

Ariel seems to have kicked it quite early on or at least that was my impression. The emotional impact at the end was unearned because the montage went by too fast, like r316 said. I wonder if they'll do anything with that going forward.

The actor playing Quentin's son is very handsome and he fucking knows it as well. He has the cutest little Pomeranian, which is the part I'm most jealous of.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318February 11, 2018 8:28 PM

The way Quentin and Elliot interacted tonight showed that their lives together will have continuing impact to their lives now.

And am I the only one that wanted both Quentins to make out?

by Anonymousreply 319February 15, 2018 4:07 AM

Pretty boring episode.

R319 That depression shit was so familiar that I was too distraught to think about the two Quentins fucking.

by Anonymousreply 320February 15, 2018 12:36 PM

So wait... the fourth key, which they had in their fucking hands, is now in the gut of a dragon?!? AUGH!

by Anonymousreply 321February 15, 2018 2:23 PM

I think the fourth key is now in the underworld as anything a dragon swallows immediately passes into another dimension. Perhaps OLU can do them a solid; she's been pretty uninvolved so far. And that "seed" she gave to Julia is growing far too slow for my liking.

by Anonymousreply 322February 15, 2018 2:31 PM

I'd think the god that gave the seed would be pissed off that it's been given away like that. There's got to be some repercussion along those lines.

by Anonymousreply 323February 15, 2018 2:33 PM

Yeah, Alice's fit at the end of the episode seems to be exactly that. A little slap on the wrist for both of them.

by Anonymousreply 324February 15, 2018 2:37 PM

"You can't jerk me off" Challenge accepted

P.S. That Felicia Day broad annoys the living shite out of me. Why do they insist on sticking her in everything? Aargh. Bye, Felicia

by Anonymousreply 325February 16, 2018 7:20 PM

I just do not understand the animosity that Felicia Day seems to engender in so many people.

by Anonymousreply 326February 17, 2018 3:11 AM

I find this season not as interesting as the first two. Watching them obtain the keys is kind of confusing and convoluted.

But I like the talking rabbits.

by Anonymousreply 327February 17, 2018 5:54 AM

Love the show, and almost the entire cast, with the exception of the actor that plays Quentin. His constant stammering, uh, um, er shtick makes me want to slap him most episodes.

by Anonymousreply 328February 17, 2018 8:31 AM

I wish Quentin would cut his hair.

by Anonymousreply 329February 17, 2018 9:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330February 17, 2018 9:31 PM

Quentin is the whole reason I watch the show.

by Anonymousreply 331February 17, 2018 9:51 PM

I enjoyed the Life in a Day episode, as it was touching to see Q and Eliot spend a life together. I am also now obsessed with the band Phoria, who sing the song ("Evolve") during that montage.

That said, it did go by too fast for it to have the kind of impact it could have. Star Trek: TNG (one of the many scifi/fantasy shows The Magicians clearly pays homage to) did it mich better and with more impact with "Inner Light."

by Anonymousreply 332February 17, 2018 10:50 PM

Inner Light was great since it was only focused on Picard. If the episode had only focused on Quentin and Elliot it would've been perfect.

by Anonymousreply 333February 17, 2018 11:03 PM

r331 Your post was very triggering for me. Why is Quentin your favourite of the bunch? Do you find the actor cute, are you also an aspie and so identify with the character, or all of the above?

This is DL so be honest or we'll know.

by Anonymousreply 334February 17, 2018 11:54 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 335February 19, 2018 10:21 PM

I would marry Quentin in a heartbeat. He's absolutely adorable.

by Anonymousreply 336February 20, 2018 5:36 AM

[bold]'The Magicians' Renewed for Season 4 at Syfy[/bold]

[quote]The NBCUniversal-owned cable network has renewed the drama for a fourth season of 13 episodes set to return in 2019.

[quote]Currently airing its third season, the Universal Cable Productions effort is Syfy's top scripted series among the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 demographic over the past three years.

Good news but the fact that there were zero comments here after the latest episode is pretty telling. I'm over this quest already as it's getting absurd for the sake of being absurd. We all know they're going to solve it and there seem to be no stakes involved. Hoping for a better episode tonight.

Oh, and Quentin needs to wear that manbun all the time; it immediately transforms him from an obnoxious twerp to a smoking hot guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337March 1, 2018 1:34 AM

Last week's episode was meh... a necessary episode plot-wise but not that thrilling.

Tonight's episode was excellent. The short-story near the end was a master-class in telling a story with silence. Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 338March 1, 2018 2:15 AM

Wow.. that betrayal at the end... damn...

by Anonymousreply 339March 1, 2018 3:13 AM

Obligatory musical episode next week.

by Anonymousreply 340March 1, 2018 6:14 AM

Quentin needs to cut his hair. I hate man-buns.

by Anonymousreply 341March 1, 2018 6:14 PM

Not enough Eliot in last night's episode. Also, what is going on with Cassandra/ Alice?

by Anonymousreply 342March 1, 2018 6:27 PM

Quentin is perfect exactly as he is, thanks.

Also, yeah, Elliot was barely in last night's episode...

by Anonymousreply 343March 2, 2018 12:20 AM

It's too confusing this season. The storyline doesn't make sense, characters pop in and out; people are in one scene and then appear someplace else without explanation. The rules for the quest gets too complicated to follow.

by Anonymousreply 344March 2, 2018 4:20 AM

Perhaps you should re-watch the episodes. I don't find it confusion.

by Anonymousreply 345March 2, 2018 2:57 PM

Loved them experimenting with the format this week but it got slightly convoluted by the end. I'm sure they'll clear everything up in the next episode.

That silent segment was simply sublime; I've never seen anything like it on TV before. Well, there was that Buffy episode but deaf people weren't really the focus there. More of that, please!

by Anonymousreply 346March 3, 2018 10:42 AM

I hope the quest ends this season. As others have noted, it's getting boring.

The question then becomes: once magic is restored (as, presumably, it will be eventually), then what?

I'm hoping for an inadvertent glitch/surge: like going from zero magic to WAY TOO MUCH MAGIC, so that excess power lands in the hands of the wrong people, and our heroes have to figure out how to reset the balance. Sort of like the story of Goldilocks: too little --> too much --> just right.

I would also prefer to have Eliot and Margo reunited with everyone else on Earth. The novelty of having them sequestered in Fillory has kind of run its course for me.

by Anonymousreply 347March 3, 2018 2:50 PM

This is why I much preferred the fist and second season. There were obvious villains they were fighting against.

This nonsensical quest for the search for magic is a confusing storyline--- and who cares? Yes, they're magicians but the audience doesn't feel this sense of urgency.

There are so many characters coming in and out of the story. The red-headed girl who slept with Quentin is annoying. Is she a villain or is she a good guy? Then those other women that came into the picture, I just lost track of who was what.

R347, I do agree that Fillory is getting boring. It's like watching them in a high school play with inferior set pieces. I much prefer them on Earth which has a grander setting.

by Anonymousreply 348March 3, 2018 4:57 PM

Just have to disagree with you, R348... loved season one, but season two was better, and season three is the best yet.

by Anonymousreply 349March 3, 2018 5:53 PM

Elliot and Quentin better be endgame.

by Anonymousreply 350March 3, 2018 6:00 PM

Does anyone else find it a little odd how magic is gone and yet no one in the whole world seems all that bothered, apart from a group of US-based magicians [italic]who are still attending school?[/italic] Everyone else is like... "yeah, whatever, I guess this is the new normal now." Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 351March 3, 2018 6:08 PM

This is my favorite show. I love the humor. Everything is so wonderfully quirky. I see why young people like it and why old-minded people would be confused in general. This season is great with the quest, because it allows for a lot of shifting around and is not so restrictively tight and sinister as the other seasons.

by Anonymousreply 352March 3, 2018 6:17 PM

r351, the show has shown how different people have dealt with the loss of magic in their own way. It’s nice that the magicians are not all now sitting in a refugee camp bemoaning their fate. They have adjusted in different degrees to the new normal.

by Anonymousreply 353March 3, 2018 6:24 PM

r353 They've shown us how everyone is dealing with the loss, sure, but everyone just seems resigned to this new reality. Where the fuck are the magicians of Europe, Asia, and Africa, where - I presume - magic has a [italic]much[/italic] longer tradition? Are they working on a solution?

The show seems small because it keeps world-important magical events to just these locals of one particular magic school. That's really my only complaint about it.

by Anonymousreply 354March 3, 2018 6:30 PM

[quote]I see why young people like it and why old-minded people would be confused in general.

That is such subtle understated shade; my favourite kind. Please continue.

by Anonymousreply 355March 3, 2018 6:33 PM

Kinda like how Americans and the world have just sorta adjusted to Trump as the new normal... only a few are trying to actually do anything to oust him.

by Anonymousreply 356March 3, 2018 6:39 PM

Is it really the same thing, though? Because I could quite easily turn off the news for the next two years and pretend Trump doesn't exist and I'd remain pretty much unaffected by his presidency here in my euro shithole.

Seems to me a more apt comparison would be all of the countries around the world cancelling elections forever. I'm sure someone could come up with an even better example. Taking away the internet, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 357March 3, 2018 6:49 PM

oh, yeah, I don't like this show because I'm old and only hip millennial understand it, yeah. What a dumbass thing to say.

This season has really gone downhill. It's the storyline, it sucks.

by Anonymousreply 358March 3, 2018 7:37 PM

The magic cocaine powder is Fairies!

Pretty hardcore. I wonder if the Fairy Queen isn't so bad after all and just trying to protect her kind against those who, well, do what they do with fairies to keep the magic energy flowing in a non-magic world?

Love Harriet's backstory. Got all verklempt during the scenes with her mother.

I love this season (like all the other season) I think the quest story arc is fun, because it's a group effort that brings the group together and have their own quests (story arc) on the side. Quite enjoyable and entertaining for me.

by Anonymousreply 359March 4, 2018 8:50 AM

Loved the rendition of Under Pressure.

Overall not a bad episode.

by Anonymousreply 360March 8, 2018 6:18 AM

I knew you couldn't trust those Fillorians, especially Tick. I wonder if they are under the Fairies' spell though.

I wish Todd had a bigger part. I think he's going to have a big impact some day. He's a sleeper right now.

by Anonymousreply 361March 8, 2018 6:28 AM

is it for 5 yr olds???

trailer on u tube looks dat way

by Anonymousreply 362March 8, 2018 7:02 AM

o wait

they say 'fuk' n 'shit'.....mus be good huh

by Anonymousreply 363March 8, 2018 7:06 AM

is it a satire??? its pretty out there

by Anonymousreply 364March 8, 2018 7:37 AM

The ending was lovely. I'm glad to see Julia levelling the fuck up already.

by Anonymousreply 365March 8, 2018 12:07 PM

R362, this show is NOT FOR KIDS.

Holy shit, it's SO not for kids.

by Anonymousreply 366March 8, 2018 1:45 PM

Definitely don't let your kids watch this if you don't want them to grow up at least somewhat cool.

by Anonymousreply 367March 8, 2018 3:04 PM

LOVED the "Under Pressure" sequence so much that I even got teary! (I know, I know: MARY!)

Relieved to see we still have a few more episodes to go in the season, because that episode kind of felt season-finale-esque.

by Anonymousreply 368March 11, 2018 2:44 PM

r368 No Mary!, I teared up at that as well. It was such a nice thing to see after having watched all of them be horrible to each other for three seasons now.

And I love how even the weaker singers weren't embarrassed to sing along. Alyson Hannigan and Cole Sprouse could learn a lot from them.

by Anonymousreply 369March 11, 2018 9:06 PM

Such a good episode and I teared up at the fairy queen making her Sophie's choice. I just wished that witch bitch hadn't gotten away. Was surprised to see Michael Hogan in such a small role but who could blame him for collecting a paycheck?

Weekly shout out to Michael Luwoye, playing Hades. Only his second-ever TV role, after Curb Your Enthusiasm. Otherwise, [italic]completely[/italic] unknown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370March 16, 2018 1:43 AM

"My son's marble has yet to be polished."

Wouldn't we all want a mother like that?

by Anonymousreply 371March 20, 2018 5:33 PM

Evil Quentin is surprisingly sexy.

by Anonymousreply 372March 22, 2018 1:53 AM

Sorry, if that sounds too fangirl, or shill, but man, the show really knows how fuck with your mind.

SPOILER (if you haven seen episode 11 of season 3.

Quentin, the Beast? Wow. Margo's face, half blown off? And Marina's back! Yay! Dick Josh *lol* The Quickening (oh!). What evil creature will be freed when Julia opens some portal? Will it be Reynard?

by Anonymousreply 373March 22, 2018 12:04 PM

That was one of the best episodes of this show. Still gagging. Gotta love showrunners who feel confident enough to change everything just like that, in one episode.

Margo's facial injury was movie-level good. Penny and Julia are an interesting combination, right? And Marina coming back, holy shit!

Forgot just how scary The Beast was and now I really want to see a showdown between him and the fairy queen.

by Anonymousreply 374March 22, 2018 12:31 PM

In a Beast v. Fairy Queen showdown, my money is on FQ.

And the Bigger Bad Than the Beast *has* to be Reynard... right? Or will the series throw in a brand new evil?

by Anonymousreply 375March 24, 2018 11:40 AM

r375 I honestly think Reynard is done since OLU took care of him and the monster is something even more terrifying.

I read somewhere last year that the writers were considering introducing that which created the gods. It's the classic problem of having to go bigger and better each season; something that Supernatural, for example, is so familiar with.

by Anonymousreply 376March 24, 2018 11:50 AM

That election campaign was giving me bad flashbacks and was getting tedious but the payback was more than worth it.

However, that ending with Elliot's father was totally unneeded. I had completely forgotten he had a father, let alone that his father had magical cancer. No one cares, show.

by Anonymousreply 377March 29, 2018 2:47 PM

[quote]I had completely forgotten he had a father, let alone that his father had magical cancer. No one cares, show.

I thought the same thing when Julia started explaining the potential downside to magic returning. "Wait... Quentin's father has cancer? Did we know that?" Evidently, we did, but I'd forgotten it entirely.

Loved the opening series recap and thought it was cleverly done.

Next week's episode is the season finale!

by Anonymousreply 378March 29, 2018 8:16 PM

I was surprised at just how okay I was with how the Fairy Queen's story wrapped up. I really, [italic]really[/italic] wanted to see her head on a spike at the beginning of the season when she was taunting Margo.

Reynard remains repulsive. Great work by that actor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379March 29, 2018 8:18 PM

Margo's such a boss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380March 29, 2018 8:19 PM

Better version. I'm just going to use this gif all the time in threads about Ann Coulter, Saoirse Ronan, Jessica Chastain...

Any other suggestions? Who's the creamiest of them all?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381March 29, 2018 8:27 PM

[quote]However, that ending with Elliot's father was totally unneeded. I had completely forgotten he had a father, let alone that his father had magical cancer. No one cares, show.

Are you kidding?? That was an incredibly moving scene. And rather powerful. A great way to cap off the episode.

by Anonymousreply 382March 30, 2018 1:01 AM

I love the reveal of who won the election. I think that's the first time Margo was actually speechless. For a quick second.

And call me crazy, but I so want to live in a world where a rabbit can say "Eat my ass!" (over and over again). I think that never gets tired *LOL*

"I will say what I wish my father has said to me: I'm so happy you are dating a bear!". LOL.

by Anonymousreply 383March 30, 2018 1:12 AM

I get a full belly-laugh or guffaw out of every episode. I can't name any supposed comedy (except maybe The Good Place) that does that for me.

by Anonymousreply 384March 30, 2018 5:09 PM

[quote]Reynard remains repulsive. Great work by that actor.

I think he's great in that role too, R379. He's Mackenzie Astin, Patty Duke and John Astin's son, so he comes by his talent honestly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385March 30, 2018 5:18 PM

He really is good.

But then, the whole show is just fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 386March 30, 2018 6:57 PM

Just when you think you've seen it all, they have the rabbit say "Eat my ass!" The talking bear effect was nice as well. I'm just sad they're having that Canadian-Mexican cutie hook up with Abigail because I was shipping him and Elliot.

Is it just me or is alternate timeline Penny less of a jerk? And somehow even more handsome because of it?

by Anonymousreply 387March 30, 2018 7:08 PM

I hated the musical episode

by Anonymousreply 388April 1, 2018 2:09 PM

Episode 13 Sneak Peek 'Will You Play With Me' (spoiler)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389April 1, 2018 2:22 PM

How is Quentin's dad cancer magical?

by Anonymousreply 390April 1, 2018 2:24 PM

I don't remember it being magical. I remember it's inoperable, and Quentin exploded a puppy trying to work out a cancer curing spell.

by Anonymousreply 391April 1, 2018 2:31 PM

The differences between the books and TV show are quite vast

by Anonymousreply 392April 1, 2018 2:34 PM

I hate Josh

by Anonymousreply 393April 1, 2018 2:35 PM

Yeah, people on Reddit are confused by that as well. Seems like the writers just fucked it up.

I hated that shit. They relay so many other things via exposition (The Castle At The End Of The World, anyone?) but couldn't bother to throw Quentin a single sentence about why his father's cancer is suddenly magical in nature? Or just to refresh our memory?

by Anonymousreply 394April 1, 2018 2:37 PM

[quote]How is Quentin's dad cancer magical?

I think as R391 aid, the cancer is inoperable BUT before Quentin started messing with it using magic his dad still had time left.

When Quentin tried to "cure" it, it accelerated the growth of the brain tumor.

The writers really screwed up their explanation.

by Anonymousreply 395April 1, 2018 2:49 PM

So shouldn't his dad be dead by now or, at the very least, in palliative care? Or is this one of those shows where only months have elapsed since the premiere first aired?

by Anonymousreply 396April 1, 2018 2:54 PM

photos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397April 1, 2018 3:00 PM

Wait Quentin is the Beast? Like the Beast from season 1-2 that beast?

by Anonymousreply 398April 2, 2018 12:51 AM

In an alternate timeline

by Anonymousreply 399April 2, 2018 12:53 AM

Ohh okay - have not had a chance to watch yet.

by Anonymousreply 400April 2, 2018 2:05 AM

Hope we don't get stuck with Penny 23 - that guy's a jerk. Oh, wait all Pennys are jerks.

by Anonymousreply 401April 2, 2018 4:58 AM

[quote]So shouldn't his dad be dead by now or, at the very least, in palliative care? Or is this one of those shows where only months have elapsed since the premiere first aired?

It's almost impossible to tell. At the time when his dad said he had brain cancer he also mentioned that he wasn't even showing symptoms yet and he and his doctor were looking at his options. Quentin's magic accelerated it.

But then the gang went to Fillory where time moves differently than on Earth (and is unpredictable) and they've also had a few time resets. Add into that the fact that time doesn't move or moves slowly in the Neitherlands or Library. (The librarian, Zelda's daughter spent decades on Earth aging while her mother stayed the same.)

Based upon Julia's journey it's been at the least a year but possibly more. However, the characters' ages should be all over the place, like Elliot spending a few years in Fillory could have been a few days on Earth for everyone else or even in the reverse because time fluxes between the two.

by Anonymousreply 402April 2, 2018 5:42 AM

Season finale TONIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 403April 4, 2018 8:48 PM

r403 Noooo!

Damn it, I waited for this show to return for what felt like years and now it's ending already. Fuck that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404April 4, 2018 8:56 PM

Wow that ending! Can't wait until the next season, but too bad it's not until 2019.

by Anonymousreply 405April 5, 2018 6:02 AM

In the books, is Julia still God Touched?

by Anonymousreply 406April 5, 2018 6:40 AM

‘The Magicians’ EPs Break Down That Shocking Finale and Tease What’s Next in Season 4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407April 5, 2018 9:02 AM

[bold]How The Magicians Turned Margo from Mean Girl to the Show’s Best Character[/bold]

You guys, did you know Vanity Fair had an article out about Margo recently? She's the best.

[quote]That Margo achieved this remarkable emotional growth and ascent to power without a typical love interest, or sacrificing her edgy verbal prowess or killer style, is a testament to what The Magicians thinks young women—and specifically young women of color—can achieve in both Fillory and the real world. So maybe the better parallel for Margo is not Hillary Clinton, but young, outspoken, queer, Latinx Parkland activist Emma González, who comes with her own distinct, personal style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408April 5, 2018 12:25 PM

Great ending to a great season. Love a good amnesia plot when done right. That CG Mordor and the black castle looked awesome. I wonder what that new monster is capable of if the gods fear it as well. Perhaps it's a cosmic leviathan of sorts?

I'm sorry but that Head Librarian needs to be offed and the library burned down. And I say that as a librarian myself so you can imagine just how much I hate her messing with everything and everyone. I believe she's been the real Big Bad all along.

by Anonymousreply 409April 5, 2018 12:33 PM

What a great season. Loved the quest concept and, of course, Margo!

So, Alice does turn into the white haired lady in the Library writing the books?

by Anonymousreply 410April 5, 2018 1:22 PM

Yeah, I guess she's Cassandra now. I hope they find a way to save her. Although wouldn't that rewrite the timeline?

Found this thought on Tumblr just now as I was browsing for cool gifs. Quite poetic.

[quote]Julia Wicker could not be a goddess because she can’t see the forest for the trees. Every tree is important to her, and every one of the quest goers is a tree she loves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411April 5, 2018 1:27 PM

R406, yes, in the books Julia becomes a real Godess, it's one of the few things they didn't change in the TV show.

PS shame about Quentin's (Bryan's) hair...

by Anonymousreply 412April 5, 2018 2:20 PM

So... everyone has forgotten who they are and that they're magicians?

How far into the next season will it be before they undo that?

by Anonymousreply 413April 6, 2018 5:03 AM

R412 I was asking if (in the show) she still retains her god powers. It seems like she got brain jazzed with Fogg's memory potion . I only read book 1 and idk where the hell my other book is and refuse to find it. I know Ember/Umber deaths were changed , so I am wondering if they took Julia's god powers for plot reasons. When she reforged the keys was she simply weakened or did she sacrifice all her powers?

I can't stomach it , if Julia isn't a goddess anymore . She suffered a little too damn much to get those powers. She's my everything along with Margo.

R409 I liked her because of Harriet ( I like Harriet), but the Library is annoying AF. I don't understand why Fogg would allow the Library to ration out magic and his school get shafted. Stupid deal. R413 the new season ain't coming til 2019.

by Anonymousreply 414April 6, 2018 5:08 AM

My interpretation was that re-forging the keys cost her all her god powers. She's not a goddess anymore.

by Anonymousreply 415April 6, 2018 1:42 PM

Yeah, she lost her god powers and is "just" a magician again. Which is fine by me as overpowering your characters can get tricky real fast.

by Anonymousreply 416April 6, 2018 1:52 PM

The Inspiration Behind That Chilling Magicians Twist Is Not What You Think

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417April 6, 2018 2:41 PM

^^ That link in has some great insight into the finale, and info about what to expect in Season 4. Thank, R417!

Loved the finale. I hope that wasn't the last we see of the Fairy Queen, though -- she grew on me by season's end.

Kady, though, became less and less integral to the plot as the season went on. Is Jade Tailor technically a recurring cast member (not a regular)?

by Anonymousreply 418April 8, 2018 1:29 PM

SPOILER

‘Magicians’ actress opens up about filming sexual-assault scene

“Magicians” actress Stella Maeve says her on-screen partner Mackenzie Astin helped her emotionally prepare for a sexual assault scene in Season 1 of the SYFY show.

“It was really important to do it and to ground it and then also give it levity and be honest with it,” Maeve, who plays Julia on the show, told the audience during the “Magicians” Comic-Con panel in San Diego on Saturday. “It was so nice to get to work with Mackenzie Astin, who played Reynard, because he was so sweet when we had to shoot that scene.”

On the show, which has been dubbed the “Harry Potter” for grown-ups, Julia is assaulted by a trickster demon, Reynard the Fox.

Maeve said Astin would constantly ask her if she was OK.

“It was nice to have such a great partner to do it with and the way that John [McNamara] and Sera [Gamble] wrote it was just in a format that was easy and not easy, but wonderful to be able to translate that on screen in the way that they have formatted it, so I guess it was a collaborative effort in that we all put this together and tried to ground it and make it as real as possible, but also use fantasy to bring that levity,” she said.

“The Magicians” Season 4 is set to air in 2019.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419August 8, 2018 2:23 AM

Show's came back tonight. Any one watch it? I have it on DVR.

by Anonymousreply 420January 24, 2019 5:21 AM

It was excellent. And like every other season of the show, it's completely different than the season that came before. I loved every minute of it.

So glad it's back!

by Anonymousreply 421January 24, 2019 5:44 AM

I kinda wish it were on Netflix or Hulu or Amazon Prime so I could just binge it all at once.

by Anonymousreply 422January 25, 2019 1:41 AM

Hale Appleman is so sexy. Who's had him?

by Anonymousreply 423February 13, 2019 3:58 PM

Quentin and Elliot are so good together.

by Anonymousreply 424February 14, 2019 2:33 AM

Fuck. Even ugly pudgy annoying guy gets hot chicks for sex.

That means I'm even less desirable than he is.

Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 425February 15, 2019 3:25 AM

This show needs more gay sex.

by Anonymousreply 426February 16, 2019 5:47 AM

Yeah. I miss the season one door-licker.

But I'm glad Elliot really is still alive somewhere. I hope his fierce gay self comes back.

by Anonymousreply 427February 16, 2019 5:19 PM

That should have read "Season one knob-slobberer"

(god he was hot)

by Anonymousreply 428February 16, 2019 5:20 PM

Who was the Axe Man in the desert in this musical episode?

HE WAS FUCKING HOT.

by Anonymousreply 429March 28, 2019 2:01 AM

I love Hale Appleman, but I couldn't stand The Magicians.

by Anonymousreply 430March 28, 2019 2:14 AM

The Magicians is easily one of the top five shows on TV. If you can't stand it, you have no taste.

by Anonymousreply 431March 28, 2019 2:15 AM

There's a separate Season 4 thread, if anyone's interested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432March 28, 2019 2:17 AM

The new datalounge search sucks, because it couldn't find ANY "Magicians" threads.

by Anonymousreply 433March 28, 2019 2:20 AM

I wanted to like it, r431. I loved Hale Appleman in that gay Romeo & Juliet movie, but the whole faux-Potter nonsense was just that, nonsense. Are the rest of your top 5 sci-fi, also? Perhaps vampires and werewolves?

by Anonymousreply 434March 28, 2019 7:28 AM

It's not faux-potter. That's' so ignorant it shows me you never watched mroe than a couple of episodes.

by Anonymousreply 435March 28, 2019 1:20 PM

Well, I didn't watch more than a couple of episodes, r435. That's how boring it was. As I said before, I love Hale Appleman. But not even he could get me to watch this dippy program.

by Anonymousreply 436March 28, 2019 1:22 PM

Well that was a hell of a season finale.

by Anonymousreply 437April 18, 2019 5:02 AM

R436 is an ignorant idiot with no taste, dissing the best show on TV that he's never bothered to even watch.

And yes, R437, it totally is. It's being discussed on the Season 4 thread here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438April 19, 2019 12:11 AM

I watched at least two episodes, r438.

by Anonymousreply 439April 19, 2019 7:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!