Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are your cat's idiosyncracies?

My cat likes conveniently place himself in the most inconvenient places for humans. At the foot of the stairs, or anywhere where human concentration is the thickest because he is an attention whore and touch seeking whore.

by Anonymousreply 246September 1, 2018 9:08 PM

My cat does not use those little corn holder things when she eats corn on the cob. Also she refuses to write personal checks or even say the word "check" on Tuesdays.

by Anonymousreply 1November 25, 2015 4:45 AM

My cat is afraid of crows. When he hears them or sees them through the window he runs downstairs. He is also afraid of the ceiling fan in my bedroom, (but not the one in the living room) and responds to it in the same way he does to crows. He is special.

by Anonymousreply 2November 25, 2015 4:46 AM

He's too nice, I've never seen him angry even when he should be. Loves ice cubes, olives. He tries to groom my hair after I get it cut.

by Anonymousreply 3November 25, 2015 4:55 AM

My cat is afraid of large birds too. He has fallen off the window sill several times when they flew too close to him. I don't think this is an idiosyncrasy but he constantly brings me his spiral toys (can't think of what they're called) to throw so he can play fetch. He loves barbecued potato chips and mashed potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 4November 25, 2015 4:56 AM

I once had a wonderful black tabby who liked to curl up on top of my head and lick my hair until he dozed off or until I shook him off me.

by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2015 4:58 AM

Oh god R4, my cat plays fetch with those little coil toys too. He'll bring me one and retrieve it when I throw it for him (after he has recovered from his trauma of seeing/hearing crows).

by Anonymousreply 6November 25, 2015 5:00 AM

As for what OP said, yes, I have to leave a light on at night in case I have to get up. He's convinced I'm incapable of stepping on him and I'm not. He went through a phase of sprawling out on his back in the doorway to the bathroom.

Right now he's doing a good job of placing his face between mine and the iPad.

by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2015 5:06 AM

I used to have an unusually small dwarf-like cat, black with a little white on his chest that would pat my face all the time while he lay beside me in bed.

That's funny R6, my cat drives me crazy with those things - he doesn't get tired... and he's terrified of large birds. I don't know how many times I've heard this "thud" and look over and he's in the floor again from being scared a bird is going to attack him.

by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2015 5:08 AM

My persian Coki has this weird thing with plastc wrap , if she hears me unwrapping something that's been wrapped in plastic she comes running to investigate and tries to pull it from my hand . She also has to inspect every single thing that comes into the apartment and then try to sit upon it .

by Anonymousreply 9November 25, 2015 5:13 AM

My cat does that too OP and R8. He lays right in the hall doorway in front of the bathroom and we have to step over him. He refuses to move. I leave a light on at night too because of that.

by Anonymousreply 10November 25, 2015 5:13 AM

Sorry, I meant OP and R7.

by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2015 5:16 AM

He asks me to feed him then when I put the food in the bowl he goes marching off and sits on a random bit of the floor and I have to hand the bowl to him. He often likes to eat in doorways so he's a nice big trip-hazard.

by Anonymousreply 12November 25, 2015 5:32 AM

My orange tabby is quite talented with kitty treats. I will toss a treat towards her and she catches it, then eats it from her clenched paws. Sometimes she catches the treat with her mouth. It's quite amazing to see. The only downside is that she begs for treats every time I walk into my kitchen. That gets annoying at times.

by Anonymousreply 13November 25, 2015 5:42 AM

My cat isn't afraid of cucumbers.

by Anonymousreply 14November 25, 2015 5:54 AM

Eating is a ritual, and I take full blame for starting it. He's a messy eater so I bought a white plastic tray from Dollarama to contain the mess. Then I decided I needed more than one so I bought 5 more identical trays.

It became me preparing a morning breakfast tray with three bowls: kibble, wet stuff, and water with ice cubes in a large margarine container. He loved that margarine container and complained and acted out when I got rid of it. It took the little bugger a while to get used to his new permanent water and ice dish, from Dollarama again, but he did.

Now I have to do a tray twice a day. And if I don't do it on time... the wailing! ... the howling! And I could set a clock to him, a much better sense of time than I've ever had. And when he gets his tray he does a little meow! Prrrrt! In the most entitled way, as if to tell me it's about time.

But wow does this one cuddle. And knead. But he's very clean, very patient with those times I can be neglectful of the litterbox. A very happy little thing, always purring.

by Anonymousreply 15November 25, 2015 6:12 AM

My cats are both very talented at being in the most inconvenient spot they can find. They are particularly good at leaping onto a chair that I have just vacated and intend to immediately re-occupy. The older one has a fit if she can see me in the yard and keeps a running commentary until I am back inside.

by Anonymousreply 16November 25, 2015 6:22 AM

My black cat would wake me up every morning by tapping my eye with his paw, very gently and no claws out.

I posted this elsewhere here, but he also was a perfect dinner guest. He'd hop up on his dining room chair (he had his own), then I'd tie a little napkin around his neck and put his plate of food (whatever we were eating) on the table before him. He'd sit at the table and eat his dinner with us without ever putting a paw on the table.

I also admire a cat who can be entertained for hours with a simple paper bag.

by Anonymousreply 17November 25, 2015 6:24 AM

My cat drools when I pet her.

by Anonymousreply 18November 25, 2015 7:04 AM

I had a "droolie." That little girl cat adored me.

by Anonymousreply 19November 25, 2015 7:30 AM

My cat would follow me when I walked anywhere in our neighborhood. Twice I hadn't noticed she had followed me. Once we saw her watching me through the window while I was visiting a neighbor. Another time, she sat on a friend's porch and kept their cat away from the house as long as I was inside.

by Anonymousreply 20November 25, 2015 12:37 PM

I have a really weird example, and I hope someone can finally figure out what is the reason for it. My late kitty Nicky would go berserk, in a good way, whenever I would take the cap of a bottle of Seabreeze in order to tone my face after washing with soap and water. I kept the bottle by my bed, along with a pack of the white cotton pads, and it was something I'd do at bedtime. When she got that first whiff, she would act like most kitties do when they smell fresh catnip. She would rub up against me purring loudly while trying desperately to get her mouth on the pad. If I ever left the used pad on the bedside table, she would consume the entire thing before I even returned to the bed. I did not want her to eat the cotton pads, so I started rubbing her fur with a pad soaked in Seabreeze so she could lick herself and taste it that way. Obviously I would never let her actually drink the stuff. Since alcohol is the main ingredient in Seabreeze, I let her smell straight rubbing alcohol to see what would happen and nothing. No reaction. I tried it with witch hazel, another astringent and again nothing. I even tried it with vodka. Zip. This idiosyncratic behavior continued throughout her 15 year life. Her love of Seabreeze even trumped her reaction to the aroma of real tuna or other quality fish of fresh roasted chicken. Can anyone take a guess as to what was the attraction?

by Anonymousreply 21November 25, 2015 9:03 PM

My cat had the same reaction to Ben-Gay.

I had to keep it away from her and use it when she was not in the house.

by Anonymousreply 22November 25, 2015 9:31 PM

I had an American short hair tabby who would bite my toes in the morning when he felt I'd slept for long enough. If I tried to kick him out of the room, he would meow and sound like he was crying.

by Anonymousreply 23November 25, 2015 10:48 PM

Mine goes after zinc ointment

by Anonymousreply 24November 25, 2015 11:00 PM

My black cat brings home treats for the dog. He'll put a half dead mouse or chipmunk at the dogs feet and then just lay down. The dog has its own issues in that once the cat gave him his gift he wouldn't give it back. The dog would guard the prey and the cat would just lay there. It goes on for hours with the half dead animal between the two.

by Anonymousreply 25November 25, 2015 11:17 PM

I don't think my cat actually hunts. I hope not.

My cat only acts crazy over cat treats or cat nip.

by Anonymousreply 26November 25, 2015 11:39 PM

R26 Trust me, if your cat was ever on it's own out on the prowl, he/she would hunt like the best of 'em. It's completely bred into them. My cat is strictly indoor, but every now and then a Chameleon will sneak inside(live in FL) and she LOVES to stalk them. If I see her, I always save the poor lizard from a miserable death, but unfortunately I am usually too late for that. I find a decapitated lizard on my pillow at least 5 times a year.

by Anonymousreply 27November 26, 2015 2:36 AM

Ever try to catch a half-dead bird flying and flailing around your house? That was a twice-weekly occurance around my house. Also half-dead mouse hockey was on the twice-weekly plan. Mouse hockey is when you try to push a half-dead mouse, who is running for his life, out the door with a broom.

by Anonymousreply 28November 26, 2015 9:44 AM

[quote]every now and then a Chameleon will sneak inside(live in FL)

How the hell does a chameleon "sneak inside" a home? It's a lot larger than a bug or mouse, wtf!

by Anonymousreply 29November 26, 2015 12:09 PM

My kitty won't drink from a bowl -- I have to give her water in a glass.

I keep it in the bathroom doorway, so that I can easily rinse it out and fill it all day long.

I worry what would happen to her if I died; I know my asshole family would immediately give her to the pound, and they wouldn't know or care to give her water in a glass so she could die of dehydration! :(

by Anonymousreply 30November 26, 2015 12:12 PM

My friend had a pet chameleon named Nadia. It was tiny.

by Anonymousreply 31November 26, 2015 12:15 PM

My cat used to bring me a green garden lizard **every day** in the summer as a love offering.

That little cat was hell on lizards.

I am sure the lizard families around my house rejoiced when she croaked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 26, 2015 12:30 PM

Your little bodyguard, r20? Sounds more like your little stalker.

You should start calling her Jodi Arias.

by Anonymousreply 33November 26, 2015 1:24 PM

He's homophobic. To each his own, I always say, but I get tired of him marching back and forth in front of my house holding a sign that says, "God created Adam and EVE, not Adam and STEVE."

by Anonymousreply 34November 26, 2015 1:31 PM

As I type, my old tomcat is snoring away on the sofa. It's a comforting sound to me.

Getting his Thanksgiving catnap on ....

by Anonymousreply 35November 26, 2015 3:05 PM

After I was dead asleep Mickey Katt Jr used to open the bedroom door with his paw, and then raid the refrigerator. Always wondered why he used to come running every time I opened the refrigerator. Then I realized he was just sniffing everything to see if it was time for a late night raid. A very small but super strong cat, he'd jump up on the counter and put all of his weight on one paw to pry open the refrigerator at the tight seal. Then he'd step inside the open refrigerator and stretch as tall as possible so he could balance and put his paw on the top shelf. He used the other paw to dump on the floor whatever he wanted to eat.

I always had male boarders and would warn them of Mickey Katt Jr's late night raids, and that I'd replace anything of theirs he chose to eat. Of course they never believed me until they were awakened by the noise, walked into the kitchen, and saw him in action. I'd hear swearing but was always too tired to get up. The next day I'd hear the specific details, and a confession that they should have believed I wasn't lying.

by Anonymousreply 36November 26, 2015 3:19 PM

Funny cats!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 26, 2015 3:24 PM

My cat scratches my bedroom door and jumps into my bed in the middle of the night, then she falls asleep on my chest.

by Anonymousreply 38November 26, 2015 3:28 PM

[quote]Ever try to catch a half-dead bird flying and flailing around your house? That was a twice-weekly occurance around my house. Also half-dead mouse hockey was on the twice-weekly plan. Mouse hockey is when you try to push a half-dead mouse, who is running for his life, out the door with a broom.

Yes! This has happened once, she brought in a bird, luckily I was able to catch it and set it free outside. You see, my cat never kills mice or birds, she just brings them in to play with. My cat take mice more often than birds though. The problem happens when she gets bored with them and forgets them. I've often found a mouse in my house. I try to catch it and let it loose in the garden but those little buggers are so hard to catch. Sometimes I have to use a mouse trap, I have no other choice.

by Anonymousreply 39November 26, 2015 3:33 PM

Depending on the size of the cat it's possible that a large bird of prey could catch and kill it, so dodging large birds is a helpful instinct. Like the instinct to jump when a long slimy green cold thing sneaks up on them while they're eating.

by Anonymousreply 40November 26, 2015 3:40 PM

I have a cat who loves men but at best only tolerates women. He's sent two women to the ER who insisted on holding him when he told them not to.

by Anonymousreply 41November 26, 2015 3:43 PM

My cat likes stealing things from women's purses.

The cat we had when I was a kid used to deposit her dead birds and mice into people's shoes

by Anonymousreply 42November 26, 2015 3:49 PM

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night, and she has plopped herself down right between my legs. Nowhere else on the bed... just there. (I just go to bed & leave the door open - because she will go nuts at 3 am if the door is closed). I move her somewhere else, but inevitably I wake up later with her there...again. If she's hungry, she'll also tap my face and wake me up. I wonder why she doesn't meow and has to tap my face?

If I stop petting her & she wants more - she taps my hand and lowers her head...which is pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 43November 26, 2015 3:56 PM

Maru!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 26, 2015 4:01 PM

Back in the 50s, my mother and my next door neighbor went out to lunch one day, and the screen door locked itself on their way out of the neighbor's front door. When they got home, they had no way to get in. The neighbor had a Siamese cat, and that cat jumped up and after a few tries, unlocked the screen door to let them in. My mother swears this is a true story.

by Anonymousreply 45November 27, 2015 2:49 AM

R29 if you live in central or south florida its very common to find those damn lizards in your house. No matter how careful you are. Theres zillions of them !

by Anonymousreply 46November 27, 2015 3:21 AM

R45, Mickey Katt Jr used to hop on the washing machine so he'd be the right height to play with the hooked door until he could figure out how to open it. Had no trouble with a closed hallway door either; you just reach your paw under the door and yank it open. Of course if you're a small-sized cat you half to put all of your weight on one paw.

by Anonymousreply 47November 27, 2015 3:29 AM

OMG, my gray and white cat LOVES to lick and groom my hair. He really gets into it. He's a neutered male who is very maternal though. I brought home a kitten who he immediately started licking and grooming and took on the mother role for it.

by Anonymousreply 48November 27, 2015 3:34 AM

Mickey Katt Jr was also the perfect "alarm clock." Always woke me up at the same time. He loved Spring Daylight Savings Time as that meant breakfast was an hour earlier. He had to readjust in the Fall when meals were delayed by an hour; always took him a few days to do so. My cat also knew how to jump on the remote and turn off the TV if I appeared more interested in the program than in cuddling with him.

He was best at making sure I was awake and alert prior to an earthquake, then he'd hide under the bed. Coming home I'd always know if the jerk of a landlord had entered my home without permission. You should have seen his face when I informed him my "personal spy" had ratted him out.

by Anonymousreply 49November 27, 2015 3:37 AM

My orange calico Carrie used to relish the chance to bash Mickey Katt Jr's skull into the side of the barn thru feline telekinesis whenever possible

by Anonymousreply 50November 27, 2015 3:48 AM

R25, my cat Dolly is always leaving me "presents". I've found dead mice, hummingbirds, moles, and today, a dead squirrel. In my house. Not cool cat, not cool. As far as odd things, she likes to have her face brushed right after I get out of the shower. She waits at the bathroom door until I open it, she runs in and perches on the countertop. I have to brush her face with a hairbrush. She even turns her face so that I get both sides equally.

by Anonymousreply 51November 27, 2015 3:58 AM

R43 I had a cat many years ago who did exactly that same thing. She wasn't a cuddler or a lap cat, but she would not sleep anywhere but between my legs at night.

by Anonymousreply 52November 27, 2015 5:05 AM

R50, Sorry I don't believe in feline telekinesis. Do you have any proof that it really exists?

Are you saying you don't believe me? Always sincerely regretted I couldn't have found a way to film Mickey Katt Jr, and I didn't own a video camera nor did any of my borders.

by Anonymousreply 53November 27, 2015 5:25 AM

If you live in Florida it is normal to have lizards in your house.

But they make cats throw up, so they usually won't eat them.

by Anonymousreply 54November 27, 2015 5:38 AM

I have a couple of toilet voyeurs. They will follow me in there when it's time to go. They will then stare at me. For some odd reason, my grey tabby will only want to sit on my lap when I am seated on the toilet One of the cats loves to watch the toilet paper flush.

by Anonymousreply 55November 27, 2015 5:40 AM

What do these Florida lizards look like? Picture please?

by Anonymousreply 56November 27, 2015 5:41 AM

They are just little lizards, there are a few kinds but they are all small. They eat bugs.

by Anonymousreply 57November 27, 2015 5:44 AM

My cat can be sweet but he can have temper tantrums and I can't get anyone to watch him because he is completely wild. I have no doubt that if he were a much larger cat, he would kill me and then he would want me to wake up and give him his treats.

by Anonymousreply 58November 27, 2015 5:48 AM

Are the lizards Anoles? We've got them in TX. Kind of cute. My cats bring them in all the time and I'm constantly rescuing them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 27, 2015 5:49 AM

I live in Palm Springs and my cat loves to knock those little lizards around, too.

by Anonymousreply 60November 27, 2015 6:12 AM

Most of them are not green and I can't link anything. But they are not all the same. If I bring a plant in to get it out of the cold for a couple of weeks, my house will be full of baby lizards.

by Anonymousreply 61November 27, 2015 6:18 AM

My cat is on the kitchen counter most of the time. Sometimes she sits in the sink too. She avoids standing on fur or fluffy carpets.

by Anonymousreply 62November 27, 2015 6:44 AM

Sir Nigel vonSockthroat loves to wear his toupee & ascot while mixing crantinis for his pride before they go out hunting Aspie owners of nerdy cats

by Anonymousreply 63November 27, 2015 6:44 AM

[quote]I have a couple of toilet voyeurs. They will follow me in there when it's time to go. They will then stare at me.

Mine does that. I always wondered what that is about. She really stares me down - I close the door but then she gets mad sometimes. I am pretty much controlled by her.

by Anonymousreply 64November 27, 2015 6:53 AM

All of my cats did the same thing. Loved to peak when I took a bath. Is it a fascination with water?

by Anonymousreply 65November 27, 2015 6:56 AM

If I give him food he doesn't like, he scrapes the ground with his paw like he's burying it. I think he's trying to tell me it's crap.

by Anonymousreply 66November 27, 2015 7:23 AM

He also won't scratch his own ears. He sits there flicking them and looking very pointedly a me until I go and scratch them for him.

by Anonymousreply 67November 27, 2015 7:40 AM

My tabby hates when the doorbell rings (so do I) - she runs and hides - she knows the doorbell ringing usually mean trouble. She loves pork skin chips (so do I).

by Anonymousreply 68November 27, 2015 9:24 AM

My friend had a cat like R58)'s. He called me one day and asked if I could come over. A real estate appraiser was due over, and as my friend was the union president, he had been called in on some work related emergency. The cat and I had a detente. When the real estate person showed up, he saw the cat and made some comment about being afraid of cats. That's all the beast needed, for the cat obviously understood. He waited until the poor man was half way up the stairs before he made his move. The cat began to carry on. It was like that horror movie with the cats stalking the woman up the stairs. It was hissing and screaming. The real estate agent did not move. I had to rescue him. He had his revenge, however, when he posted photos of the listing. There was a huge bottle of lube captured in the bedroom shot.

by Anonymousreply 69November 27, 2015 9:49 AM

In the fall and winter months exclusively, my 16 1/2 year old fat lady commandeers the swivel chair next to my desktop. I let her have it - and access to my computer. Without a laptop it does present some problems. Fortunately, I can more greatly rely on my other devices during these colder weather months. BTW, if I try to place her on this very same chair in the spring & summer, she immediately jumps down.

by Anonymousreply 70November 27, 2015 9:50 AM

This kitty knows exactly what he wants, and how to get it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 27, 2015 10:34 AM

my tomcat loves stealing my dirty underwear, carrying them around the house, moaning, rubbing himself with the knickers and sleeping on them. embarrassing when visitors are around...

by Anonymousreply 72November 27, 2015 10:48 AM

If I drop the smallest piece of paper on the floor, one of my cats will immediately run to it and sit on it.

They have assigned locations when they sleep with me and they don't encroach on the others place. In the dead of winter, I am completely surrounded by very small, very warm bodies. Cozy.

One of them will also drink water only from a glass, she looks at the regular water bowl with disdain.

by Anonymousreply 73November 27, 2015 11:13 AM

Max came from the pound. I wanted a "dog-like" cat and that's what I got, very friendly and devoted. After a few months, however, he started having separation anxiety -- would cry and cry when I started to leave the house and try to block the door. He also was an indoor cat but wanted to make friends and play with any neighboring or stray cats that came to the window. Eventually he was jumping up to block the front door even I was just getting up to go in another room.

The vet recommended trying another cat as a foster to see if it would help.

Back to the pound. After looking at dozens of cats I took home Sam, who was about twice Max's size and a calm, sweet goofball. The vet recommended separating them, so I put Sam in the bedroom overnight with food and a litter box. Max spent the whole night trying to play with him under the door.

When I got home from work the next day, they somehow had opened the door and were chasing each other around the house. Rugs and toys everywhere. They stopped to be petted and fed, then went back to playing like kittens. The foster collar came off within a couple of days and they're still best friends.

I've never had a cat before (much less two), but I'm told it's very uncommon for cats to bond this quickly, particularly when one was already a resident and the other was added to the family.

by Anonymousreply 74November 27, 2015 4:56 PM

R69 Funny!!

by Anonymousreply 75November 27, 2015 8:07 PM

I would sometimes weekend at my parents' house when they would be away. They had two dogs and a cat, who ate her food out of the opened can. My mother said the cat liked it that way (which probably means my mother was too lazy to feed her in a dish). You had to give it to her atop the washing machine or the dogs would eat it.

So the first time I fed her, after a few minutes she came running into me with a "Help me" expression. So I checked the can of food. She had eaten only in the center of it, creating a kind of upside-down cone. I couldn't figure out what she wanted, so I left it that way, but she kept coming to me for help. Only after my parents returned did I learn that she liked to have the food forked around so she didn't have to eat at the metal edges.

I really should have just fed her in a dish; I just didn't think of it.

Also, whenever she wanted to come in from outside, she would climb up on the screened part of the kitchen window, to tell you to open the door. But I guess that isn't an eccentricity. Her name was P. G., for Pussy Galore.

by Anonymousreply 76November 27, 2015 8:43 PM

My cat refuses to use capital letters when he posts on Datalounge. What's up with that?

by Anonymousreply 77November 27, 2015 9:51 PM

I had a cat who slept downstairs in the spring and summer and, like clockwork, every September 4th I would see her lurking in my upstairs' bedroom doorway the evening of Seotember 4. I would tell her that I've been waiting for her. She would spend the fall and winter months upstairs.

by Anonymousreply 78November 27, 2015 10:10 PM

One of the two litter mates I got in 2000 died this summer, the female.

Well, her brother has now decided he just LOVES being an only cat and has turned into a cuddle baby.

Soon as I sit down here he comes and begs to be picked up and put in my lap. Several times a day. And get this: he has to be turned upside on my crossed legs so he can gaze up at me, legs in the air, and get "in the zone" while I scritch-scritch his belly.

And he never slept with me and his sister in my bed. But now he comes to get me when he thinks it's our bedtime.

This cat has me all to himself now and he apparently loves it.

by Anonymousreply 79November 27, 2015 10:20 PM

He always finds his way back after I dump him on the side of the road.

by Anonymousreply 80November 27, 2015 10:38 PM

He shouts at other cats off the balcony and it sounds like "awo", nearly like hallo. He hardly ever meows otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 81November 28, 2015 4:45 AM

He uses rice instead of corn in his mash

by Anonymousreply 82November 28, 2015 4:47 AM

OK, here's a weird one... If I get ready to go on a business trip, I put several days worth of vitamin supplements in one of those 7-day pill dispensers.

The process makes Sam go CRAZY -- headbutting my hand, whining, trying to get in between me and the pill dispenser.

Not sure if it's all the fiddly work with the vitamin bottles that interests him, or if he's somehow connected that with me leaving sometime in the near future.

by Anonymousreply 83November 28, 2015 5:45 AM

My cat always knew when I was sick. He would lay down right next to my head and not move until I was feeling better, and that could be days.

by Anonymousreply 84November 28, 2015 5:50 AM

I had a cat over a decade ago. Her name was Britney (my mother named her, not me). At night, I would be sleeping and she would wake me up by chirping at my bedroom door (she rarely meowed even in the day). I'd let her in, and she would sleep between my legs. I still miss her to this day.

by Anonymousreply 85November 28, 2015 6:47 AM

My cat loves to be chased in the evening. She comes into the room with her back arched and I chase her around for about 20 minutes then she jumps on the bed and goes to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 86November 28, 2015 6:49 AM

I think my Dad's cat died of a broken heart. He kept by my Dad's bedside throught two bouts of cancer, and after Dad died, the cat would walk around the house looking for him and crying. The cat died shortly after, of no apparent cause.

by Anonymousreply 87November 28, 2015 6:56 AM

Thank you all, for the wonderful stories. I look forward to reading more.

by Anonymousreply 88November 28, 2015 12:33 PM

[quote] I chase her around for about 20 minutes then she jumps on the bed and goes to sleep.

Why don't you be honest and admit, after 20 minutes it is YOU who jumps on the bed and goes to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 89November 28, 2015 2:07 PM

Boo is my Bengal. He loves being taken for walks, just like a dog but without a lead. That was great exercise when i lived in the countryside.

Now I live near a cemetery, and he's made friends with the gardeners and people who run the crematorium. He catches the rabbits. The crem crew have to do a sweep of the grounds before a funeral to make sure there are no beheaded bunnies under foot. Apparently he cheers up sad mourners.

Sometimes he'll meet up with Molly, my black with yellow eyes moggie, and they'll chase each other around the headstones. Molly will eat anything as long as it's on my plate. No porridge breakfast is eaten in peace.

by Anonymousreply 90November 28, 2015 9:31 PM

My sister has Bengals -- worth all the idiosyncrasies.

by Anonymousreply 91November 28, 2015 9:33 PM

My mom just told me that the cat had caught another mouse. She never kills them, she just catches them and drops them when they're inside. She plays with them until she gets bored, then we have to go on a mouse hunt! lol She's such a weird cat I swear, why can't she just kill the mice like a normal cat would? She just uses them as toys!

by Anonymousreply 92December 17, 2015 2:13 PM

I love this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93December 29, 2015 6:31 AM

I want to live where R90 lives.

by Anonymousreply 94December 29, 2015 6:44 AM

Whenever I have a bath my cat lays on the edge of the bathtub and bats at the water. He stares down as if he is mesmerized by water and yowls until the tub is drained. I've tried just shutting him out of the bathroom, but then he just sits and scratches at the door.

by Anonymousreply 95December 29, 2015 6:46 AM

I found 17 Bic lighters under my sofa once when I was re-arranging furniture. My cat loved to bat lighters around.

by Anonymousreply 96December 29, 2015 6:53 AM

R96 - cooler than vaping.

by Anonymousreply 97December 29, 2015 6:59 AM

My cat likes to fall asleep on my chest with her head against my shoulder, just like a little baby. She drools a lot when I pet her. She begs for food like a dog, she literally sits and stare at us while we're eating, because she wants food too (she NEVER jumps up on the table and lick plates and stuff though, she just begs for it like a dog). Last but not least she is 10 years old yet she likes to hide and sleep in the closet like she was a kitten, but well.. she's not. She's a fully grown adult cat.

by Anonymousreply 98March 21, 2016 12:49 PM

My new rescue kitty now has the confidence to butt his head against my ankle when he wants lunch.

by Anonymousreply 99March 22, 2016 4:32 AM

Mine likes to be called Bootsie Gumdrops.

by Anonymousreply 100March 22, 2016 5:07 AM

I have one who likes to sleep on my neck.

another who enjoys chewing my hair.

one who loves pumpkin and suckling on a my sister's scarf edges. we found him when he was 1 month old and one day he just walked over to the scarf, sniffed it then started suckling.

one who likes to dig/pull/paw at the floor around the water bowl before he drinks. he is also afraid of anyone wearing white.

one who pretends she's eating when we see her sitting alone.

by Anonymousreply 101March 22, 2016 5:20 AM

My cat likes to type novels on the computer, but he refuses to allow me to submit them to publishers. I will have to wait till he dies.

by Anonymousreply 102March 22, 2016 1:11 PM

We have a cat that drinks with his paw. He dips his paw like a spoon into the water bowl and licks his paw.

by Anonymousreply 103March 22, 2016 1:41 PM

When I get in the shower that cat sits on the bathmat and screams bloody murder until I get out of the shower. If I keep him out of the bathroom and close the door it's worse.

by Anonymousreply 104March 23, 2016 12:27 AM

My cat is a shelter rescue who was declawed by his previous owner. Thankfully he does not seem to have suffered any long term effects, but he does scratch the carpeting, furniture, the walls, and me as though he still has his claws.

by Anonymousreply 105March 23, 2016 12:59 AM

My cat moans and groans as he is drifting off to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 106March 23, 2016 1:04 AM

One of my cats carefully chooses the right moment to walk in front of the other cat and flick him in the face with her tail. He gets very annoyed which makes it even funnier.

by Anonymousreply 107March 23, 2016 1:15 AM

Mine follows me around the apartment when I first get home. Then once I'm settled on the sofa she falls asleep in my lap.

by Anonymousreply 108March 23, 2016 1:17 AM

What about the squirrel that wraps around Luke Evans' neck?

by Anonymousreply 109March 23, 2016 1:22 AM

I've posted about my favorite cat, Meno, before. Very beautiful. She was a long haired torti, mostly black with lovely symmetrical patches of cream and rust and a reddish ruff like a lion. Incredibly people centered, she would follow me and guests around, meowing, chirping, talking-she had a great and varied vocabulary. She would chase peanuts in the shell only, batting it around and then daintily carrying it back to me. She wouldn't drop it in my hand, only in a proffered shoe.

She would chase her sister around, then clasp her front paws around her middle as the sister dragged her back and forth on the polished floor. We used to call this Ben Hur. She was a lover, curling up near me, sleeping next to my pillow. She would stretch out, and lay her paw on my shoulder. She would wake me in the morning by gently tapping my cheek. She enjoyed dress up, would walk around for hours with a little knitted tam on. Mostly because she had a goofball sense of humor, she loved to clown around. She would tumble around on the bed, then somersault off landing on her feet. When I would say "you are the best kitty" she preened. I swear at times she giggled, made a sort of chuffing sound when playing with me.

I've owned other cats before, but never had one so unusual. She was much more like a dog. When she died I was never able to have another cat.

by Anonymousreply 110March 23, 2016 1:42 AM

Thank you for sharing your stories... just lovely!

by Anonymousreply 111March 23, 2016 2:14 AM

My cat snores, and not quietly. And of course, he insists on sleeping beside me in bed, and prefers my pillow. He doesn't like the covers pulled down. He prefers a light microfiber throw or sheet. It can become irritating as hell, especially when I'm tired. But it always ends up with me smiling, and sharing a pillow with my Buddy.

by Anonymousreply 112March 23, 2016 4:11 AM

My big fur ball loved coffee ice cream...

And champagne.

by Anonymousreply 113March 24, 2016 5:07 PM

My cat stands with her paw IN the water bowl so the water gets dirty, then she drinks it. She's an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 114March 24, 2016 5:10 PM

I fucking love this thread.

by Anonymousreply 115June 6, 2016 5:17 AM

My cat is currently sleeping in my closet. She likes to hide there.

by Anonymousreply 116July 3, 2016 7:56 AM

My cat drools when I pet her, and it's not just a little either, she drools a lot.

by Anonymousreply 117November 20, 2016 8:05 AM

My kitty kat used to hemorrhage once a month, but manopause ended it. Now kitty is just dry and lethargic. Do you think she needs to see a vet OP? Or would you be so kind as to inspect and work on my kitty? Sorry, but I can't pay you anything, perhaps some sort of barter?

by Anonymousreply 118November 20, 2016 8:19 AM

My cat is like a dog, she begs for food.

by Anonymousreply 119March 25, 2017 8:18 PM

Wonderful thread. Keep it up!

by Anonymousreply 120March 25, 2017 8:44 PM

-My cat can't meow like a normal cat. She squeaks. Thus her name, Pipsqueak. Or, to you underlings, the Baroness Pipster von Squeak. -Pip won't eat unless petted while she is eating. -If I am sleeping too late for the Baroness, she will crawl on top of me, sit perfectly still, and just let her body weight annoy me to the point of rising.

by Anonymousreply 121March 25, 2017 10:54 PM

My Boy likes to sleep in my gym bag. I have to be careful not to accidentally carry him to the gym.

by Anonymousreply 122March 25, 2017 11:49 PM

I suspected my cat learned how to turn on the printer when I came home to 14 test pages all over the floor. Caught him in the act a few days later.

by Anonymousreply 123March 26, 2017 1:00 AM

My cat likes to capture mice and then relase them inside. She never kills them, she plays with them, then she forgets that they're there. Sometimes I find a mouse running across the floor. That is always fun. Just today I saw a mouse in my bedroom, alive, and yes I know it's gross af.

by Anonymousreply 124May 13, 2017 11:50 PM

My cat likes to sleep on top of the freezer in my garage

by Anonymousreply 125May 13, 2017 11:53 PM

I bought my cat a cat bed. She hasn't slept in it once. She's kinda scared of it actually. Instead she sleeps on the carpet on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 126June 10, 2017 8:59 PM

When I'm preparing food for them, my one female cat keeps touching my leg with her wet nose.

by Anonymousreply 127June 10, 2017 9:04 PM

My beloved late orange tabby used to always jump and sit on the keyboard everytime I would use the laptop. Everytime I was writing on paper he would jump and sit on the paper. He always had to have all of my attention. I miss him so much.

by Anonymousreply 128June 10, 2017 9:21 PM

My polydactyl gray-by likes to curl up to sleep with me, but he always settles in the exact middle of the bed so I have to maneuver around him to turn over. At least once a day he stares up at the ceiling in any room like the alien mothership is about to descend down on us. He's obsessed with plastic bags, wrap, tape and will happily munch and drool on them if I let him (I don't); if I rattle any plastic near him he starts doing a weird gagging swallow routine and sticking his tongue out several inches over and over which is a little disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 129June 10, 2017 9:29 PM

^^ This is what happens when my cat hears plastic wrappers or tape crinkle. Anyone else have a kitty with this reflex? Cats are such freaks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130June 10, 2017 10:06 PM

Henry was only 5 weeks old when we got him at the Humane Society and he spent his first few weeks sleeping on my partner's chest. When she leaves the house, Henry cries and cries. He carries his toy around looking for her, even though I'm there and speaking softly to him. I pick him up and hold him until he calms down, but I am obviously not who he loves. He is 4 years old. Our other cat, Lola, comes to me to be let out of the house, and to my partner to have her private parts washed DAILY. Lola has an eating disorder and is too fat to lick herself clean properly. She was a rescue and was homeless was a time before we got her.

by Anonymousreply 131June 11, 2017 12:09 AM

homeless for a time

by Anonymousreply 132June 11, 2017 12:11 AM

My cat won't leave me alone, she follows me everywhere, even when I have to use the toilet, lol. Also, whenever I clean out her litter box she literally sits down and pee in it, she won't let me clean it! It's a struggle to keep her away from it every time, gets kinda annoying.

by Anonymousreply 133February 27, 2018 2:50 PM

She binge watches Xanadu and Two of A Kind

by Anonymousreply 134February 27, 2018 2:56 PM

[quote]It's a struggle to keep her away from it every time, gets kinda annoying.

You can't control an eight pound animal? You are why Hillary lost

by Anonymousreply 135February 27, 2018 2:57 PM

r128

If only there was some way to do that.

by Anonymousreply 136February 27, 2018 2:59 PM

R129 - I had the same problem with my cat wanting to sleep on the bed right in the middle. If I moved while I was sleeping she would move with me. It was irritating. Since the blanket or sheet I was sleeping under basically create one big expanse on the bed the only marker was my body. So i bought a square pillow, surface area bigger than my cat. Plus about six inches thick. I put it at the bottom right hand corner of the bed. Now the cat either sleeps on it or up against it. Leaving me alone.

by Anonymousreply 137February 27, 2018 5:59 PM

Oh - cats all have different personalities. The current feline resident - I don't think they taught her to hunt when she was a kitten. We adopted her at 3 years old.

I believe she might have Ragdoll ancestry because if you scoop her up she just goes limp. Other than that she's classic cat - wants attention when SHE wants it.

by Anonymousreply 138February 27, 2018 6:04 PM

I haven't read most of the posts on this thread, and I am a hetero (non-practicing, LOL!) women, but definitely not a frau, but since I've been unemployed for the last year or so and stuck in my apartment more than I would like because of said medical condition, I've noticed some strange habits about my cats. 1. they love to sit on top of the referigerator all the time! 2. They poop next to the cat box if you don't clean it every week! 3. They eat peanut butter like it's going out of style and they will eat it off of anything and I mean A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G!

by Anonymousreply 139February 27, 2018 6:13 PM

In the morning, I sit and my desk in my home office and read the newspaper on-line. I usually eat breakfast while I'm reading, which is usually either yogurt or cottage cheese. My guy loves to stick his face in the containers and lick to his heart's content. Some people would be disgusted, but my mouth has certainly been in far worse places this his.

by Anonymousreply 140February 27, 2018 6:29 PM

kittiosyncracies

by Anonymousreply 141February 27, 2018 6:31 PM

This thread has my favorite r1 ever.

by Anonymousreply 142February 27, 2018 6:34 PM

[quote] if I rattle any plastic near him he starts doing a weird gagging swallow routine and sticking his tongue out several inches over and over which is a little disturbing.

Watch out, these are seizures. Certain sounds like plastic / metal / tin foil noises cause seizures in cats.

" Owners of elderly cats should avoid clanging spoons, rustling tin foil and clinking coins to stop their pets unexpectedly collapsing from seizures, experts have warned.

Scores of animals have been struck down by the mystery condition which has left vets baffled.

Dubbed ‘Tom and Jerry syndrome’ after the startling impact that loud noises had on Jerry in the Hanna Babera cartoons, the phenomenon came to light after pet owners reported that their cats were suffering seizures after hearing noises of a certain pitch. "

by Anonymousreply 143February 27, 2018 7:17 PM

My tortie darling is convinced there is a monster who lives in the laundry closet. Once a week, horrible noises emanate from there, and then the monster goes away after a few hours. I have tried to explain the concept of doing laundry to her, to no avail.

During the week, the laundry closet door MUST be kept open. If it's not, she sits in front of it and wails. When I finally open it for her, she has to go in there immediately to check for the monster. Satisfied that she's successfully driven it away (for today at least), she goes about her fluffy business.

by Anonymousreply 144February 27, 2018 8:19 PM

I'm more interested by the cat owners' idiosyncrasies.

by Anonymousreply 145February 27, 2018 8:27 PM

My cat humps stuffed animals, pillows and blankets. He was neutered years ago , but he's still a randy little fetishist. The objects of his lust get dragged all over the house as he makes mad, passionate love to them. He also likes to chew on plastic bags and smash breakable knick knacks.

by Anonymousreply 146February 27, 2018 8:54 PM

My cat loves to play go fetch with balls of aluminum foil, but he doesn't know when to quit. There are times when this "game" lasted as long as two hours. When playtime is over, he has a secret hiding place for his foil ball stash. There are mornings when he hops on my bed, starts whining, and I will discover four or five of those foil balls in my bed.

I need to find his secret hiding place...........

by Anonymousreply 147February 27, 2018 9:06 PM

My cat has no interest inhuman food, but for some reason goes insane when I open a container of yogurt. He has his little pumpkin shaped yogurt dish that holds two tablespoons, and we frequently share a container for breakfast. He prefers peach, vanilla, and strawberry.

by Anonymousreply 148February 27, 2018 9:12 PM

I adore you and your kitty, r148.

by Anonymousreply 149February 27, 2018 9:16 PM

[quote]She binge watches Xanadu and Two of A Kind

I had a cat that loved to watch the History Channel. Since all they show is stuff about WWII and nazis, it freaked me out a bit.

I recently adopted two adult aged shelter cats and they are boring as hell. But one of them growls like a dog when she hears any noises she doesn't recognize and I appreciate that. Makes me feel safer.

by Anonymousreply 150February 27, 2018 10:50 PM

Like many others here, my cat:

Follows me to the toilet to watch

Sleeps between my legs (since she was a tiny kitten)

Proudly brings home dinner "treats" in the form of half-dead creatures

Scratches (or actually pounds and rattles) my bedroom door to be let in

Will sit on command; won't need to be told at all but f a treat is involved

In addition, she:

Can hear either of my cars approaching from far away, so by the time I'm pulling in by my home she is waiting on the street curb right in front of the gate (my own personal welcome committee)

Will come outside and stand by anyone who is doing any work on the outer perimeters of the house (my own personal contracting supervisor)

Loves pop tarts

Gets on the bath tub rim while I'm showering and masterfully covers the whole perimeter without falling in

by Anonymousreply 151February 27, 2018 10:59 PM

My cat Snoopy used to bring in stunned but not yet dead garter snakes and drop them on the kitchen floor. He also kept what my dad and I called the Indian Burial Ground. We lived in an 1850s farmhouse with an unfinished basement and in the winter we would get mice. The cat would kill the mice and line them up in rows of 5 in the back corner of the basement.

by Anonymousreply 152February 27, 2018 11:28 PM

R83, most cats can sense when you're getting ready for a long trip, pretty much the same way they get upset when you start moving/switching furniture, appliances, artwork, etc.

They are very fine-tuned with their surroundings, and when you start altering those, it confuses and even disturbs them. Going from that premise to knowing that when you pull out a large bag and put clothes in it you will be gone for a while is a piece of cake for their associative cognition. After your first trip they can put two and two together.

by Anonymousreply 153February 28, 2018 1:58 AM

Mine just came home today with all sorts of hay-like cob-went stuff hanging from her whiskers. I love trying to figure out WTF she's been up to when that happens.

I could only conclude that, once again, she went shopping for fresh dinner ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 154February 28, 2018 11:48 PM

Cob-went >>> cobwebby

by Anonymousreply 155March 1, 2018 12:30 AM

My cat does the following

1. Jumps at the control panel on the dishwasher , she usually hits rinse and hold so it's ok

2. When I put my dirty gym clothes in the hamper , she will sleep there

3. She loves to watch the toilet flush and the contents in the whirlpool

4. Her downstairs cat box is pee only her upstairs catbox is poop only

5. She will not stay in a woman's lap

6. If I have someone over for sex, she will jump on the bed after we are done, sniff around a little then jump off, she will not get back on the bed until the linens are changed.

7. If a Madonna song comes on she will get under the couch , she is really into the Supremes and will run around in circles to "You cant hurry love "

9. I keep my prescriptions on my bathroom counter, she always knocks over the Truvada , none of the others

by Anonymousreply 156March 1, 2018 12:56 AM

I love your pussy, R156.

by Anonymousreply 157March 1, 2018 12:59 AM

Everything about my current kitty is idiosyncratic, but a couple would include:

As so many others, he loves to play fetch, and has a toy/not-a-toy rotation only he understands -- there are actual kitty toys, a couple of which he has had for years that will disappear for weeks or months on end, reappear, then disappear again; tennis balls (actual size and small dog size) that are almost always in view, but have their own rotation within the rotation; and random items that he'll become obsessed with until he isn't. He recently knocked a box of Q-tips off the bathroom vanity counter, because he is the kind of kitty that likes to throw my stuff onto the floor, and for a week now the primary objects of his "affetchions" have been the Q-tips that spilled out and almost immediately stashed behind the bathroom door.

He LOVES spinach, and if I am making a salad, no matter where he is in my place, he will come running and go nuts until I put a few leaves on a plate for him (a previous kitty was like that about cantaloupe).

Like [R156], he poops in one litter box and pees in the other. And, with that in mind, [R139], their pooping next to the litter box is not a "strange habit" or idiosyncracy. It is, essentially, a cry for help. Veterinarians recommend a) two litter boxes per cat; and b) scooping them more than once a week. There is nothing as preventable, or upsetting, as a cat that develops a potentially deadly urinary tract infection/bladder infection, or constipation/blockage, when it is because the person they rely on to care for them fails to do their job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158March 1, 2018 1:24 AM

R139 you should scoop the poops daily , there are pine based litters that work very well controlling pee and poop order and are flushable. I scoop the poops daily in the morning while my cat is eating,

by Anonymousreply 159March 1, 2018 1:48 AM

order =odor

by Anonymousreply 160March 1, 2018 1:48 AM

My old siamese fought with my airedale ALL the time, yet they had a deal where the dog would call me to open the door for the cat to come in or go out.

Also, the dog always waited patiently for the sweet meats while the cat ate the head and limbs of any poor bunny.

by Anonymousreply 161March 1, 2018 2:01 AM

My post failed....

My old siamese used the airedale to summon me when she wanted in or out. In return, she left bunny organ meats for the dog after devouring head and limbs. They did not get along, yet they kept this deal going.

Picture it. Your dog barks, you open the back door, there is your cat trying to meow with a half-dead mouse in her mouth. The cat is proud. The dog is happy. You're the asshole who has to enforce the no-nearly-dead-pests-in-the-house rule.

by Anonymousreply 162March 1, 2018 2:11 AM

My cat likes to hide in a doorway and then when I come down the hall he rushes out as if to scare me or surprise me. He thinks he is cute. I wish he had a more clever parent, he might learn tricks.

by Anonymousreply 163March 1, 2018 2:35 AM

during the winter I jerk off under the blanket , my cat will hear the porn playing and come into to the room. I usually do not see him because obviously I am occupied , he will hide and wait till I am really into it and then jump on bed and onto the blanket right on my dick as I am wacking off. I have to start closing door

by Anonymousreply 164March 1, 2018 3:34 AM

He has idiosyncatsies. He sCatters his toys.

by Anonymousreply 165March 1, 2018 4:17 AM

My six month old kitten keeps removing draft dodgers from base of my doors and drags them all over the house. I really need to make a video of this. He is the runt of the litter, and it's hysterical watching him carrying that between his tiny teeth and jaw.

by Anonymousreply 166March 1, 2018 6:16 AM

Ziggy my little cat of 17 years (RIP) =/ used to like rubbing his little peach-sized head on my slippers while purring very loudly and go inbetween my legs as a I walked around the apt, yes, he would occasionally trip me but I didn't care. I miss you tiny Mow, he was my little gentleman pink-nosey

by Anonymousreply 167March 1, 2018 5:46 PM

I can't even imagine life without 😸 !

by Anonymousreply 168March 1, 2018 8:56 PM

When my cat was a tiny kitten, he would put his little stuffed mouse into his food bowl. He was so cute but by his teen years he was a juvenile delinquent. Now he is still cute but he is a delusional schizophrenic. Adoption is not always easy.

by Anonymousreply 169March 1, 2018 9:10 PM

That tiny velvet chaise lounge you purchased for his analysis didn't make it any easier for you, R169.

by Anonymousreply 170March 2, 2018 2:07 AM

My Lady Killer tabby was polite to men but looooved the ladies, sweetly asking for them to give him chin scritches and belly rubs. Oh how I miss him!

by Anonymousreply 171March 2, 2018 2:38 AM

My cat decided to have her kittens on top off my dryer , I had to make sure the buzzer was off when I used it .

by Anonymousreply 172March 4, 2018 4:07 AM

She purrs every time Mrs. Slocombe mentions her pussy.

by Anonymousreply 173March 4, 2018 4:12 AM

Every once in a while Bobo will go into the kitchen, open a brand-new 2 liter bottle of soda, then pour the entire contents onto the floor. Then he'll somehow crab walk UP the wall and ACROSS the ceiling before sitting outside on the window ledge smoking a cigarette.

Harold just licks himself while this happens.

by Anonymousreply 174March 4, 2018 4:15 AM

Anne Kaufman (daughter of the playwright George S.) had a summer house way east on Long Island when her husband was alive. It was in one of those towns near the Hamptons, and somehow or other a cat came with it.

Anne says the cat was constantly exploring in the house, one of those old three-storey numbers with lots of hiding places. She never knew where the cat was at any given moment.

Yet when she wanted the cat, Anne would go to the bottom of the stairs, call its name, and no matter where it had been, it would simply materialize at her feet within three seconds.

by Anonymousreply 175March 4, 2018 4:42 AM

My cat will only drink water from a faucet. I leave the faucet for the bathtub slightly on so a dribble of waters comes out while I'm at work.

by Anonymousreply 176March 4, 2018 4:52 AM

My cat Kitty Carlisle likes to slide down the stairs upside down. But she only does it when we are with her because she knows it's a cute thing to do.

My cat (who passed away, God bless her soul) used to always answered back when we talked to her. She had 15 different meows.

by Anonymousreply 177March 4, 2018 4:59 AM

I have a fluffy tuxedo rescue. A talker, constantly chirping and squeaking. She never lays fully on me, but will coyly circle around then plop down, with half or 1/4 of her body touching mine.

Her favorite sound is the printer. She will run and jump right up and stare / paw at the papers coming out, fascinated.

Follows me everywhere in a small one bedroom apartment. Lover of the bathroom.

When I hold my hand out and coax her, she stands up on her hind legs, grabs my hand with both her front paws and gives a kiss.

She’s an indoor cat, but loves the outdoors and I try to take her out on walks around my place when I can.

One of my favorite things is when I come home and see that she has taken her own toys out of the box. Usually it’s a different one each time. She’s also very good at soccer and will throw the toy up and catch it herself. And do that over and over.

by Anonymousreply 178March 4, 2018 5:16 AM

My cat would chirp and greet me at the door when I got home. However, if I forgot to remove my winter hat upon entering, he'd look at the hat, then scurry away and hide and not come out until I removed it.

by Anonymousreply 179March 6, 2018 1:47 AM

r175 r176 r177 r178 r179 I just love these cat stories.

by Anonymousreply 180March 6, 2018 2:41 AM

When I first moved to NYC, I had a big old Maine Coon cat and a rather small two-room flat. One day, I was in the bathroom, just out of the shower and naked, when all of a sudden, someone turned on the overhead light in the living room. The switch was by the entrance foyer so I assumed someone had broken in. The only other way to leave my flat would have been to run to the kitchen and go out the fire escape window. Remember - totally starkers. I stealthily crept out of the bathroom and there was the silly cat, jumping up against the wall, trying to grab the light switch.

by Anonymousreply 181March 6, 2018 3:17 AM

When I shower she just sits beside the tub and howls loudly. It's a really distressed sounding howl. I tried locking her outside the bathroom but she does it louder right outside the door. She already has a naturally loud and aggressive sounding meow so it's pretty upsetting. She's a rescue from Korea so I don't know if the cats there sound different. When she's angry her nose becomes flushed like it turns dark pink. She sticks her claws up my nose sometimes to wake me.

by Anonymousreply 182March 6, 2018 3:22 AM

R182 she thinks you're going to drown. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 183March 6, 2018 3:24 AM

My boyfriend isn't a cat person...my shellshocked tripod tuxedo kitty didn't care....she loved him. He always had little red dots on his nose where she'd give him "love taps" with her claw to wake him up in the middle of the night to pet her. She was a spook, but a blessing...

by Anonymousreply 184March 6, 2018 4:54 AM

Digs her dried turds out of her litter box and bats them around the house.

by Anonymousreply 185March 6, 2018 5:22 AM

Sam and Bob don't wake me up in the morning for food or play (thank God), but once I'm awake and stirring in bed Sam will sit by the edge of the bed and tap me with his paw – tap, tap, tap — politely reminding me that I have obligations. Bob sits quietly in the window, but the minute my feet hit the floor he meows until I give him a head rub and acknowledge his existence.

Then they both run into the kitchen and purr until I feed them.

by Anonymousreply 186March 6, 2018 6:14 AM

I live in mountains. Cat showed up in fall. I guess she jumped out of someone's car. She survived snowy winter. I left food out. Trapped her in spring. She slowly slowly learned to trust me. For first year she didn't want outside. Took her couple years to realize that outside and inside me are same person. Kitty litter has to be changed daily because she holds it in otherwise. She growls at deer outside in yard. Stereotypical cat.

by Anonymousreply 187March 6, 2018 11:20 AM

My kitten just chewed through one of her favorite toys, it's a small mouse. I guess I'll have to buy her a new one, thank god they're cheap. This isn't the first time she has destroyed one of her toys, and it probably won't be the last.

by Anonymousreply 188March 6, 2018 12:10 PM

1. My cat loves to watch tv. She sits on top of the tv stand just inches away from the screen, then she puts her paws up to touch the people shown as if they were alive lol.

2. She follows me everywhere, including the bathroom. She loves to watch me use the toilet.

3. She always puts her paw in the water bowl before drinking it, have no idea why.

by Anonymousreply 189March 6, 2018 12:15 PM

R158 Who only cleans the litter box once a week? That's disgusting, the smell will be awful and it's certainly not good for the cat. I clean the litter box every single day. I only have one litter box, but it's big and with a door so I don't have to her use it lol.

by Anonymousreply 190March 6, 2018 12:28 PM

R190, Jen Aniston is famous for kicking cat turds out of the way as she leads you through the service entrance of her house and, NO, she doesn't own bald cats.

by Anonymousreply 191March 6, 2018 12:32 PM

My cat is very instinctual. Very primitive. Needs very simple routine. Can't read facial expressions except winking. However, quickly learns any word connected with food.

by Anonymousreply 192March 6, 2018 2:05 PM

R190 I've heard of people who don't clean their litter boxes for an entire month. They fill up the box with as much litter as possible and figure the cat's business will just make its way to the bottom and that's that.

It's gross.

by Anonymousreply 193March 6, 2018 2:27 PM

Cats just hold it in if box not clean and Track it all over house.

by Anonymousreply 194March 6, 2018 2:35 PM

scoop the poop daily or suffer the consequences

by Anonymousreply 195March 6, 2018 3:26 PM

I can't imagine not scooping at least daily.

by Anonymousreply 196March 6, 2018 3:27 PM

My cats have had many over the years, but my current cat, and her current idiosyncracy, is running into the bathroom as soon as I come out of the shower so she can sit on the bath mat and stare at the water as it drips down the glass shower door. For a good thirty minutes she’ll stare, transfixed.

She may be slightly challenged.

by Anonymousreply 197March 6, 2018 3:29 PM

R139 here, and I just wanted to post an update. Cat's definitely know the difference between peanut butter and cheese whiz and while they might sniff at it, they certainly won't lick it. Thanks a lot, Kitty!

by Anonymousreply 198March 6, 2018 4:24 PM

One of my cats likes to sit practically right underneath the rainfall showerhead in my shower and lap up / bite the water as it pours down. He even waits for me in the shower every morning (i only permit toys occasionally).

He's a Bengal and has a natural affinity for water.

by Anonymousreply 199March 6, 2018 4:26 PM

R199, I think that will be my cat’s next move.

by Anonymousreply 200March 6, 2018 4:56 PM

[R190], apparently [R139] does, as she included in her list, "2. They poop next to the cat box if you don't clean it every week!" The part of my post addressed to her was meant to point out that, for the health of her cats, they should not have to wait a week or more for a clean litter box.

by Anonymousreply 201March 11, 2018 7:00 AM

10 WWs for r201.

by Anonymousreply 202March 11, 2018 7:20 AM

My cat will only smoke the pastel colored Sobranies.

Luckily, I can get them wholesale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203March 11, 2018 7:23 AM

The purring of the cat in this video makes me sleepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204March 19, 2018 5:39 AM

The cat is very vocal when she is near people and sounds aggrieved, but her bowl isn't empty, she isn't looking to be scratched, etc. If she wants something, nobody can figure out what it is.

I used to have a cat that turned out to not like people at all. This went on for a few years and a (male) friend came to visit from out of state; the damn animal was feline Velcro w. him and nobody else, ever.

by Anonymousreply 205March 19, 2018 5:47 AM

insists on sitting a foot away and staring me down when I jak off

also will only sleep on my chest...ugh

by Anonymousreply 206March 19, 2018 5:54 AM

I have 3 Bengals (2 rescues, and the 3rd is is my Dad's that I had to take because he couldn't take care of him anymore). I suppose the most idiosyncratic thing that one of them does is to steal a whole avocado by biting it and waddling away with it. I have to hide them now, because the rind is poisonous to felines Oh yes- my Dad's cat will take his favorite toy in his mouth and yowl for 15 minutes with a shimming movement in his hindquarters (I think it's misplaced sexual tension). He sounds like a tortured baby.

. Other than that, the usual opening of cabinets and doors. And 2 of them loved to be spanked.

by Anonymousreply 207March 19, 2018 6:30 AM

Both my cats know when I go to take a shit. They they come in and make circle 8s around my ankles and demand to be scratched and petted until I'm through with my business.

by Anonymousreply 208March 19, 2018 6:57 AM

Why wouldn't you scoop the cat box everyday? To me it's a must, otherwise it stinks.

by Anonymousreply 209March 19, 2018 8:09 AM

My cat has been pampered, coddled and luxuriated since she was a kitten. Hell, I even give her the choice of chicken,beef or fish Freshpet for dinner every night. When she comes in she has to have me pick her up just right so she can spread out on my leg and get petted. Naturally, whether or not I'm holding a plate of food matters very little and she'll try to plop her butt right down on the food. I have never raised my voice to her, have never swatted her, have never even given her a stern look. The bitch has basically been treated like overindulged royalty since I got her because. of course, I love her and she returns it in kind..

However, despite all this, if she's relaxing on her cat tree and I walk in holding a bag, or a broom, or I pick up a sock or I start to fold laundry or some other innocuous action she will absolutely FREAK OUT and run out her cat door in a panic in some sort of kitty PTSD flasback. My God, it's like she thinks I'm about ready to unleash a rabid pit bull on her.

I honestly don't get it but I guess it's my own damn fault. I'm the type who lets the cat climb up and lay on the countertops when I'm in the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 210March 19, 2018 9:47 AM

they are gods angels

where we be wid out our doggies and pussys.

better than people.

by Anonymousreply 211March 19, 2018 12:02 PM

I love these kitty-kat threads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212March 19, 2018 12:19 PM

is ther a doggie thread??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213March 19, 2018 12:54 PM

Birds really piss off my cat. Recently I've been screening YouTube bird videos on my laptop for her. Cat sits on my lap and is captivated. While I can't see her face, it's funny to watch her ears prick up and her head snap left and right as birds fly into and out of the scene. She's thinking, "where the hell did that damn bird go, fuck you bird, fuck you straight to hell!"

by Anonymousreply 214March 19, 2018 3:22 PM

I recommend litter genie for anyone who has a cat. I promise I am not a shill, but scooping out your cat's litter box daily is really important and if you're not doing it, I feel bad for your cat. Litter genie makes it a lot more convenient and contains the odor for up to two weeks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215March 19, 2018 3:35 PM

R214 I have a friend who plays Youtube videos (spericically for cats) and one of them was a bird one. She put it on for her cat while we were catching up and it was hysterical watching the cat watch intently and then when a bird flew off the screen, the cat would quickly get up and look off to the side of the screen and then behind the screen to see where the bird went.

by Anonymousreply 216March 19, 2018 3:36 PM

R215 We use a Diaper Genie for our cats and it works great! Apparently, lots of other people had the same idea, so they came out with a Cat specific product. But we stick with Diaper Genie because you can find the refills everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 217March 19, 2018 3:55 PM

R213, It looks like someone just started a doggie thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218March 19, 2018 4:04 PM

Dogs have a master; cats have a staff.

by Anonymousreply 219March 19, 2018 4:06 PM

My cat likes to bite my hair while I'm sleeping. One morning I found a big chunk of my hair on the floor. He didn't even chew it, just bit it off and left it.

by Anonymousreply 220March 19, 2018 4:19 PM

It’s not idiosyncratic, think something we can all relate to. How is it in a 3000+ sq.ft. house the cat picks the exact path you take barefoot from bed to bath to throw up a hairball?

by Anonymousreply 221March 19, 2018 4:37 PM

^Or, why does the cat pointedly walk from an easy-to-clean tile floor onto a rug in order to throw up that hairball along with the liquid contents of its stomach?

by Anonymousreply 222March 19, 2018 4:46 PM

We have a very old house, 140 years. Every winter mice move into the walls then move back out in spring. They seldom show themselves or leave evidence they’ve been out and about thanks largely to a steady stream of cats we’ve had.

Had one who was incredibly shy and unassuming. She was a hell of a mouser. We would occasionally come across a carcass bearing her signature. Her nickname was The Decapitator.

by Anonymousreply 223March 19, 2018 5:39 PM

Mine does not exist.

by Anonymousreply 224March 19, 2018 5:41 PM

Loves to play with crumpled register receipts, the ones from food and pet food stores are the best.

Gnaws the fingers on my right hand, starting with my thumb, every morning when we wake up. He was taken from his mother before 8 weeks so I'm not sure if this is a bonding thing or because I slept too long/not long enough!

When I work from home, I'm provided with at least 2 cat-enforced breaks. He'll sit between me and my laptop, not facing me, and wait to be petted. When he thinks my stress is gone, he jumps down.

Knows how to open my Samsung refrigerator doors. I came home one day to find the door open and the open-door alarm bing-bonging at me.

Doesn't like the closet door closed. He's managed to open them all. I leave them a kitty's width open because I don't what him to hurt himself trying to open them.

Pulled my coat off the hanger and has been sleeping on it for about a year. It's now purple with grey tabby accents.

Sneak into the made bed, between the comforter and thermal blanket, for a nice nap.

I'm supposed to go to bed at 10:30 PM ET. This allows him to jump on and off the bed, into the master bathroom, onto my exercise bike, into the window, onto the floor, into the second bedroom (which has hardwood floors so he can slide around), down the hallway and into the living room to sleep. If I go to bed late, he sits in front of me and gives me death dagger eyes or sits in the bedroom and meows for me.

by Anonymousreply 225March 19, 2018 5:53 PM

R225, you should have signed that "Proudly Pwned Since 2016"

by Anonymousreply 226March 19, 2018 6:01 PM

I'm the OP of the new "Your Weird Dog" thread, which I made specifically for r213, and it's tanking. Two replies in two hours.

But thanks for the bump, r218.

by Anonymousreply 227March 19, 2018 6:04 PM

Damn it, R226, I should have!

P.S. Cosmo will be 2 years old on 4/19. He's in the terrible two and sullen teenager stages all at once.

by Anonymousreply 228March 19, 2018 6:08 PM

My tamed feral cat insists I pet her in the very top platform of the cat tree. When she was still somewhat feral she would sit up there away from the humans. I slowly walked closer and closer to the reee over a few months. I would calmly talk to her. Eventually she let me pet her (ONCE) when I gave her a treat. Slowly but surely, she let me pet her a tiny bit more.

Now she's tame (to me, (but not to my husband) and she runs up the cat tree and yells and yells at me until I go over there. She flips onto her back and drops her head into my hand with a big smile on her face and rubs her face all over my hand. After about 2 minutes, she's had enough and gets a really annoyed look on her face that means "no more."

Ok, whatever

by Anonymousreply 229March 19, 2018 11:43 PM

My parents would go to Florida every year and drop their cat off at my apartment. I smoked way back then. For some reason, that cat was obsessed with trying to balance all 4 paws on an empty matchbook. Whenever I finished a matchbook I'd toss it on the floor and she'd run over and start her balancing act.

by Anonymousreply 230March 19, 2018 11:45 PM

[quote] ^Or, why does the cat pointedly walk from an easy-to-clean tile floor onto a rug in order to throw up that hairball along with the liquid contents of its stomach?

I know the answer to this.

When we puke, we go down on our knees and grab onto the toilet to give ourselves balance. We steady ourselves by having our mouths closer to the toilet and our hands on the toilet.

Cats go onto the rug in order to dig their claws into the rug to steady themselves as they vomit. Same thing with comforters or bedsheets. They hook their claws in so they can steady themselves while gagging and vomiting.

by Anonymousreply 231March 20, 2018 12:12 AM

Wow, good to know that, r231. You've answered one of the great mysteries of life.

by Anonymousreply 232March 20, 2018 1:27 AM

That makes perfect sense R231. I can't believe I didn't realize it before! I just assumed they love spreading misery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233March 20, 2018 1:34 AM

this thread makes me want to add a pussy to my household.

will a 12 yr old Pomeranian accept her?

most negative things of havin a cat? (besides the catbox...

by Anonymousreply 234March 20, 2018 12:44 PM

Sleeping in a freshly cleaned, litter-just-changed litter box.

While watching the episode of This is Us where Jack died, Cosmo put his paw on the side of Jack's face. I was crying before I saw the part where Jack actually died!

by Anonymousreply 235March 20, 2018 12:52 PM

I am in love with that GIF, r233.

by Anonymousreply 236March 20, 2018 5:07 PM

R235, I just had to give my cat a bath (normally cats don't need baths but he peed in his carrier). I was trying to blow dry him a little bit afterwards so he wouldn't be running around soaking wet, and of course he hated it. I shut the bathroom door to keep him from running out and he kept jumping in his litter pan to get away from me. I guess they see it as a sanctuary?

by Anonymousreply 237March 22, 2018 3:02 PM

R237, I have no idea. I bought high-sided litter boxes because SOMEONE who shall remain nameless likes to pretend he's a Rockette and kick the litter out as far as possible! It's not really big and he's not quite 2 years old so I think it's a snug thing for him. Sometimes when I'm on the toilet, he gets in it and lay down until I'm done.

by Anonymousreply 238March 22, 2018 3:20 PM

My cat enjoys proofreading my literary critiques.

by Anonymousreply 239March 22, 2018 3:54 PM

My cat is wearing an Elizabethan cone (had recent surgery) and needs to be watched all the time because in no time at all she is able to remove the cloth tie that secures the cone (tied with a knot, mind you) AND the cone itself.

I don’t know how she does it because it never happens in front of me, but I have more than twice now walked into a room with an undone tie and plastic cone laying on the floor, and missy lounging on a table, stitches exposed.

by Anonymousreply 240March 27, 2018 1:23 PM

You can buy all the expensive cat toys, but their favorite toy will be a ball of rolled up newspaper.

by Anonymousreply 241March 28, 2018 7:26 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242March 28, 2018 7:37 AM

My cat drinks coke from a glass. She puts her paw in it and licks it, just like the cat in this video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243September 1, 2018 9:39 AM

My tuxedo boy is indoor only. He was a little under a year old when I got him from the shelter, and whoever had him before me was obviously good to him because he is the sweetest cat I've ever had. He's never growled or scratched or hissed even when I'm (good naturedly) fucking with him. He is friendly to all guests.

He does a lot of the things mentioned here: hiding/revealing toys, sleeping between my legs, mesmerized by the printer, chirping at birds, etc. The one thing he does, that I've never seen a cat do: he rubs his ass across the floor or rug like a dog. Then I will sometimes find these small "turdlets" I have to flush. Maybe he was never trained to clean his ass?

by Anonymousreply 244September 1, 2018 2:06 PM

This is what is going on and what is needed, R244.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245September 1, 2018 9:04 PM

R234, the most negative things about cat ownership are the two years preceding their death, where they will be beset by terrible health problems which will incidentally cost you thousands. The other negative thing is the searing, longlasting pain you will feel when they finally die.

by Anonymousreply 246September 1, 2018 9:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!