Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My Affair with Shirley Hemphill in 1980 ( Third in a Biographical Retrospective of my life )

I was visiting San Francisco in 1980 on a rather chilly day in February. I was getting some shopping done at I Magnin and stopped into Elizabeth Arden for a quick facial and leg wax. Later that after I was planning to meet my friend Patti Deutsch at her home in Berkeley.

My leg waxing was somewhat "uncomfortable " so I decided to have some drinky poos before boarding the BART train to Berkley I was somewhat under the influence but successfully boarded the train feeling confident and sexy with my leopard skin wrap and Cobbie Cuddler shoes ( worn strictly for comfort not style) .

A few stops into my trip , I noticed that more and more black people were embarking , one rather large man sat next to me and said " hey whats up white momma you sexy " at first I was flattered and smiled , then he leered and squeezed his man region . I was frightened for my virtue so I decided to disembark at the next stop and call Patti and ask her to come pick me up .

As I got off of the train I saw the sign welcome to Oakland , and I thought what a quant name. However the surroundings seem not quant but somewhat lower class. I was waiting to use the pay phone and another large black man licked his lips and leered at me Suddenly out of no where I hear " Ma'm are you lost " I turn around and see this pleasant looking black woman ( big boned) , I said yes I am lost and need to use a phone. Then she said " honey you need to come with me , you are too pretty and attracting a lot of attention." I looked closely , the woman seemed familiar some how like a younger version of that actress that played Florida Evans on Goodtimes, I could not place her. I saw trust in her eyes , so I said yes and she took by the hand and we got into her Chevrolet Citation and back to house we went.

Her house decor was very interesting , red and white were the primary colors with a mauve velvet sofa, above the sofa was a picture of Jesus just prior to the crucifixion. She asked me if I liked Gin I never drink it but she was so nice I said yes. She went back to her kitchen and served me a Ronald Mcdonald special edition glass full of gin. She sat next to me on the couch, her hips were touching mine , she leaned over and took a small hand rolled cigarette from a box on her coffee table and asked me " do you want to relax and smoke for some Jay ?" I thought to myself I never heard of "Jay" cigarettes must be a California brand, she shared the cigarette with me , I found that odd was she trying to be thrifty?

We proceeded to share the Jay cigarette it had a unique odor that was trying to place in mind. Speaking of my mind the Ronald Mcdonald cocktail was hitting me and I felt so gay and free. She told me her name was Shirley and that she worked in TV , I still could not place her she was so familiar in a delightful way so I was enjoying our conversation .

Shirley asked me if I wanted a massage , I thought for a moment , it HAD been a long day and I was tired so I said yes but I need to call my friend Patti to come get me. I advised her of my tender post waxed legs , I laid face down on the couch and Shirley got a bottle of Corn Huskers Lotion and gently began to massage my calves and thighs . She kissed the back of my neck and she said " am I making momma feel good?" I said yes . I knew my trip to ecstasy land was about to begin!! I woke up an hour later, I laying face up , my under wire bra was on the floor , the cotton panel of my Leegs control top panty hose was compromised . Jesus looked down upon me in a disapproving manner, Shirley was asleep, I used her phone to call Patti and gave the address. Shirley insisted that she wait with me on the street for Patti's arrival. Patti soon arrived in Chrysler K car . Patti told me who she was and that she was a star. Well I will always remember that afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 45September 22, 2020 6:10 PM

Things have changed so much in 35 years. Today Shirley would be charged with rape of a retarded person.

by Anonymousreply 1September 11, 2015 2:16 AM

Thank You OP or "Aunt Mimi" I needed this laugh

by Anonymousreply 2September 11, 2015 3:05 AM

Welcome back, R1, we missed you!

by Anonymousreply 3September 11, 2015 3:14 AM

If I know Patti, she hit probably hit you up for gas money. She's sweet, but fuck is she cheap.

by Anonymousreply 4September 11, 2015 3:22 AM

You, OP, are no Bonnie Mace.

by Anonymousreply 5September 11, 2015 3:40 AM

Is this one of the deleted monologues from "Search For Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe"?

by Anonymousreply 6September 11, 2015 5:16 AM

"I woke up an hour later, I laying face up , my under wire bra was on the floor , the cotton panel of my Leegs control top panty hose was compromised . Jesus looked down upon me in a disapproving manner" ROTFL :)

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2015 12:38 AM

Hey hey hey

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2015 1:01 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 9January 5, 2016 1:18 AM

I wonder if Shirley ever did the nasty with friend and housemate (supposedly on the couch) Rosie O'Donnell? Not such a pleasant visual, but curious.

by Anonymousreply 10January 5, 2016 1:23 AM

You remind me of Shirley Hemphill

by Anonymousreply 11January 5, 2016 1:25 AM

Is Aunt Mimi colored ?

by Anonymousreply 12January 5, 2016 2:28 AM

[quote]the cotton panel of my Leegs control top panty hose was compromised . Jesus looked down upon me in a disapproving manner

OK, that's damn funny, Aunt Mimi.

by Anonymousreply 13January 5, 2016 2:31 AM

Poetry.

by Anonymousreply 14January 5, 2016 2:56 AM

Who the hell is Aunt Mimi ? I thought Shirley Hemphill died from diabetic coma and her decomposing body was found by a service worker at her residence ?

by Anonymousreply 15January 5, 2016 3:33 AM

Shirley did pass on

by Anonymousreply 16January 10, 2016 7:41 PM

"Quant" sounds like the Ebonics version of "quaint," so I guess Mimi already had a natural affinity...

by Anonymousreply 17January 10, 2016 7:48 PM

"drinky poos" sounds so familiar. It's the happy hour troll!

by Anonymousreply 18January 10, 2016 9:26 PM

leggs pantyhose with cotton panels and control top ? hope FDS was used

by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2016 12:06 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 20January 23, 2016 8:57 PM

More!

by Anonymousreply 21January 23, 2016 9:02 PM

Say hey hey!

by Anonymousreply 22January 23, 2016 9:15 PM

Did she model for Lane Bryant ?

by Anonymousreply 23January 23, 2016 10:53 PM

OP, who was a better lay: Shirley, or William Conrad?

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2016 11:08 PM

I love this Aunt Mimi! Let's hear some more!

by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2016 11:17 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2016 11:48 PM

The authentic touches warmed my cold heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 25, 2016 12:41 AM

Has the OP posted any more of these gems?

I don't visit as often, and this reads like a PG-13 Bonnie Mace. That's a compliment, I think. I would read more.

by Anonymousreply 28January 25, 2016 12:45 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 29July 8, 2016 12:30 AM

Shirley Hemphill lived in West Covina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 8, 2016 12:43 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 31October 9, 2017 4:18 AM

r30, ...wrong, she lived above the Sunset strip. I remember driving by her house on one of those bus tours.

by Anonymousreply 32October 9, 2017 4:40 AM

Hey, Librarian Troll, please run to the archives and find the other episodes in this series. I love these tales.

by Anonymousreply 33October 9, 2017 4:46 AM

They do leg waxing at Elizabeth Arden?

by Anonymousreply 34July 25, 2018 2:32 AM

R32, Shirley Hemphill's house was on a Hollywood bus tour? I'm guessing this was between '77 and '79 and no other time? ever?

by Anonymousreply 35July 25, 2018 4:00 AM

Cobbie Cuddler

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 25, 2018 6:52 AM

I'm not the librarian, but somebody bumped this old thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 25, 2018 9:05 AM

And here's the one with William Conrad:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 25, 2018 9:10 AM

Shirley was funny

by Anonymousreply 39November 18, 2019 8:06 PM

Did Shirley take a bite of your cheeseburger off of your plate?

by Anonymousreply 40November 18, 2019 8:14 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 41September 22, 2020 5:13 PM

Funny, OP! Where's the one about Goofy/Disney Cruise?

by Anonymousreply 42September 22, 2020 5:43 PM

I used to hang out with Shirl back in the late 90s before she passed away. She was one of the sweetest, kindest most hilarious women to ever walk this planet. A true kind soul with a mouth that would not quit.

Diabetes also did in Fred Asparagus around the same time but he was an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 43September 22, 2020 6:05 PM

Aunt Mimi, did you ever....meet....Shelly Winters?

by Anonymousreply 44September 22, 2020 6:10 PM

Shirley is mention briefly in the late actor Taylor Negron's excellent story about attending comedy workshops held by Lucille Ball. She did not care for Lucy's admonitions about show biz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 22, 2020 6:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!