Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Florida Is Facing a Leprosy Outbreak

Diseases you probably thought were obliterated have been making headlines lately. First, there was the measles outbreak at Disneyland this past winter. Then, cases of the plague appeared in Colorado. And now, Florida is seeing a spike in leprosy cases.

Yes, leprosy is still around.

Florida has seen nine leprosy cases so far this year, but typically only sees an average of four annually, according to the Florida Department of Health. And experts say the reason for the outbreak may be … armadillos.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, some armadillos are naturally infected with leprosy. The small animals are naturally nocturnal but are now in their breeding season, according to the University of Florida. As a result, they’re out more during the day now, when they may come into contact with people.

While the CDC says the risk of contracting leprosy from armadillos is low, it also states that if you decide to see a doctor due to armadillo contact, you should tell them the full history of the contact you’ve had with the creatures.

But leprosy cases aren’t restricted to this small outbreak: Roughly 7,000 people are now being treated in the U.S. for the disease, and the U.S. sees about 200 new cases a year, says infectious disease expert Dr. Amesh Adalja, an assistant professor at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

What Is Leprosy?

While you’ve no doubt heard of leprosy, you might be fuzzy on the details. The disease is a chronic bacterial disease that mainly affects a person’s skin, peripheral nerves, and upper airway, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Leprosy, which has symptoms ranging from numb, red bumps to physical disfigurement, was renamed to Hansen’s Disease due to the stigma surrounding its former name.

Leprosy is a historically feared disease — the Hawaiian island of Molokai was a leprosy colony in the late 1800s and early 1900s, and lepers were once treated as outcasts. But despite it’s scary past, today, it’s treatable.

Leprosy Is Treatable

People diagnosed with leprosy are typically given antibiotics for up to two years depending on the severity of the case, Adalja said, adding that the infection is no longer contagious after a few doses. Armadillos aren’t the only ones responsible for the spread of leprosy: It’s possible to contract the disease from another person. However, the CDC says, it typically happens to people who are in “prolonged close contact” with those who have leprosy and aren’t being treated for it.

Adalja stresses that leprosy is a “fairly rare” disease that isn’t highly contagious, but says some people may be more at risk than others.

Certain age groups — adolescents and people older than 30 — are more likely to contract leprosy, and men are more at risk than women. Genetics are also at play: The CDC reports that 95 percent of adults are naturally unable to get the disease even if they’re exposed to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 4, 2020 7:24 PM

It's the illegal aliens...

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2015 2:07 AM

So, the story doesn't say, but ... are people in Florida fucking armadillos and getting leprosy?

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2015 2:07 AM

[quote] are people in Florida fucking armadillos and getting leprosy?

It's Florida, so anything is possible.

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2015 2:10 AM

of COURSE this happens in Florida

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2015 2:10 AM

It's irresponsible for them to say people are getting it from armadillos. There's a far better chance victims are in close physical contact with other humans, not armadillos. People might read this and think, "nope, haven't seen any armadillos lately. Therefore, I don't need to worry about my chin going numb," when they should worry and get it checked out.

It's probably illegals carrying it over the border, but they're being too p.c. to admit it. That serves no one.

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2015 2:39 AM

They deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2015 2:43 AM

they deserve it

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2015 3:11 AM

What's next-- pellagra? Dropsy? Rickets?

by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2015 4:31 AM

Florida is the new California.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2015 4:34 AM

UNCLEAN! UNCLEAN!!

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2015 4:42 AM

Some Americans consider Armadillo meat a delicacy. It's very trendy to eat it, like Ostrige, Alligator, or other exotic meats. Google "recipes Armadillo" and you'll see the stupid Yuppies cooking their way to disaster. Those are the potential carriers you should really worry about.

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2015 4:56 AM

[quote] like Ostrige

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2015 4:58 AM

They had better not be trying to vaccinate people against leprosy!

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2015 5:07 AM

Florida is like Europe during the Dark Ages, only with more cockroaches.

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2015 5:12 AM

First you eat off somebody's face and then you fuck an armadillo, what's the problem?

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2015 5:18 AM

It's because the gays are getting married

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2015 5:21 AM

I thought we were supposed to call it Hansen's Disease, like that horrible cream soda.

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2015 5:44 AM

Oh, r17 ... I love you.

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2015 6:26 AM

Damn, damn, DAMN!!!

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2015 9:53 AM

The local pet shop sold Armadillos as pets when I was a kid. I guess my Mother was right to tell me there was no way in Hell I was getting one no matter how much I pouted.

by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2015 10:00 AM

I thought it was fairly well known that armadillos carry leprosy.

by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2015 10:14 AM

Isn't/wasn't there a leprosarium in Louisiana many years ago? We didn't want to leave all the fun to Hawaii.

Back when I was in the service, no, NOT the Peloponnesian Wars, we had to bivouac as part of our training. No food was supplied, just water(horrible, warm water that reeked of pathogen-killing iodine) Good thing my small group was mostly good ol' Georgia and Alabama boys, or I'd have starved. Armadillo figured prominently in our diet for those 5 days. The old cliche "It tastes like chicken" certainly applied. After killing and roasting the damned thing, when the meat was pried out of its shell it looked exactly like stringy chicken breast meat. Wasn't too bad, at least I was smart enough to have hidden some salt tablets on me(don't ask), which made our bill of fare more palatable. And boy, if they aren't the stupidest animals ever. Waddling(?) right into camp in broad daylight,a whack with a stick and it was all over for Arthur(yes, we named them) We used their innards as bait to trap raccoons. Yeesh! The things I did for my country.

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2015 10:18 AM

Armadillo's used to be confined to well below the fall line in the South East. They were always in south Georgia, for instance, but never north of central Georgia. Because of higher temps in connection with climate change, however, they have now moved north and will with time move up into the states that span the mid-section of the country, if not further north. In just ten years, their roaming area has spread more than 100 miles north of where it was. In the Athens and Atlanta areas, armadillos are tearing up yards and gardens and becoming a menace in construction, etc. It is just one more example of how global climate change has a lot of consequences people haven't considered.

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2015 3:02 PM

Yes, the rednecks eat them.

by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2015 3:59 PM

Tricky

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2015 5:12 PM

Leprosy is nothing compared to Marco Rubio.

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2015 5:28 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2015 5:34 PM

I wonder how many people who've come down with the disease have compromised immune systems.

Because when I hear about disease outbreaks in Meth Central areas, that's the first thing I think.

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2015 7:46 PM

I'd vote for the Dick Armiedillo over J3B! or Marco Rubella, or that Trump person who owned a gigantic breakfast food mansion in the USA's pendulous colostomy bag of a state.

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2015 8:09 PM

Americans are such pussies.

by Anonymousreply 30July 26, 2015 1:14 PM

Leprosy is a horrible disease. We don't want it spreading, that's for sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 26, 2015 1:18 PM

It literally erodes your limbs and appendages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 26, 2015 1:19 PM

Awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 26, 2015 1:21 PM

Awful, marauding, invasive creatures! Trapped one that was nesting under a backyard shed. Got up close to it and the thing smelled like the WORST case of smelly sock-feet you can imagine. I almost puked.

by Anonymousreply 34July 26, 2015 1:46 PM

Florida is a sickening place.

by Anonymousreply 35July 26, 2015 1:48 PM

How Florida Are You?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 26, 2015 2:02 PM

[quote] and men are more at risk than women

Because men like to shoot armadillos. Seriously. They shoot them for fun; they shoot them for digging up their lawns. They pick up the bodies and toss them around.

by Anonymousreply 37July 26, 2015 2:03 PM

Boy -- the US is really regressing....

by Anonymousreply 38July 26, 2015 9:27 PM

[quote]Because men like to shoot armadillos. Seriously. They shoot them for fun

Sure, it's fun until the armadillo fires back:

Early Thursday morning, along Highway 77, outside Marietta, a Texas man was struck in the head by his own bullet after firing at an armadillo, KLTV reports.

Cass County Sheriff Larry Rowe told Reuters that the animal’s shell deflected at least one of three bullets, which then struck the shooter’s jaw.

“His wife was in the house. He went outside and took his .38 revolver and shot three times at the armadillo,” Rowe said. The man was airlifted to the hospital. His jaw was wired shut.

The status of the armadillo is unknown. “We didn’t find the armadillo,” Rowe said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 1, 2015 5:39 PM

We know, R39. We have another thread about that.

by Anonymousreply 40October 4, 2020 6:11 PM

It fucking spread from your shithole family, R40, you pus-oozing, fat leper Bump Troll!!!

It fucking spread from your shithole family, R40, you pus-oozing, fat leper Bump Troll!!!

by Anonymousreply 41October 4, 2020 6:40 PM

Linked thread contains some background on DeFacto (and one or two likeminded POS) at R40, also known as the 2015 Thread Bumper

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 4, 2020 6:44 PM

2015 Troll alert.

by Anonymousreply 43October 4, 2020 6:47 PM

r22, I've always liked you Bronze Age Gay, and now I just adore you for that story. You sound like a sweetheart and a genuine tough guy!

Back to topic, I hope every Republican in Florida eats an armadillo and drops dead from leprosy.

by Anonymousreply 44October 4, 2020 7:24 PM

Since this was five years ago, did the leprosy end or do current visitors need to worry?

by Anonymousreply 45October 4, 2020 7:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!