Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How does someone "drink themselves to death"?

Someone told me that an old high school friend of ours did this. We're only 33. Does the expression mean they died of cirrhosis, or basically od'd on booze?

by Anonymousreply 4604/15/2015

Basically that turn of phrase means he generally ran his health into the ground with booze being a major contributing factor.

by Anonymousreply 101/16/2013

Destroy the liver.

by Anonymousreply 201/16/2013

That is so sad. I really feel bad for people like that.

by Anonymousreply 501/16/2013

I think it takes much longer than age 30. More like 50 or 60.

by Anonymousreply 601/16/2013

R5 is a creep.

As noted, you either drink yourself to death slow or fast. Slow is waiting for primary damage to combine with secondary effect.

Primary? Cirrhosis and then esophageal varices, so you die choking on your own blood pouring out of your tissue-thin throat and exploding arteries.

Secondary? damage can be effects of malnutrition (alcoholics often quit eating), diabetes, hypertension, cancer of various sites (including liver). Plus alcoholics at this end of the spectrum also often are doing other things - smoking, drugging, taking risks, driving drunk. Bam into a bridge post is one way to drink oneself to death.

Fast is alcohol poisoning. Not just the stuff of hazing and high school partying with no one putting the skids on. It's ugly. And there also are secondary effects that can be fatal here, if being blotto with a 12.5 blood alcohol level doesn't do it. Such as passing out and choking to death on one's vomit.

R5 is a creep because it's the "so sad" bullshit troll who offers nothing to anything here except a spineless blob of "be nice" and "why are there so many gay people here".

by Anonymousreply 801/16/2013

A guy I know developed a heart arrythmia from heavy drinking after 9/11 (lost his girlfriend). Doctors told him to stop or at least cut back drinking, he didn't and was dead in less than 10 years. He was 32.

by Anonymousreply 901/16/2013

R8 I'm a creep for having empathy? I'm a creep for feeling bad for a young person who died? Wow. I really feel sorry for you. It must suck being so bitter and cynical.

by Anonymousreply 1001/16/2013

R8 really missed the mark with criticizing R5.

by Anonymousreply 1101/16/2013

Watch Leaving Las Vegas OP.

by Anonymousreply 1201/16/2013

My Aunt was drinking Listerene, vanilla extract, anything that contained alcohol. Yes, she drank herself to death.

by Anonymousreply 1301/16/2013

Alcohol, like any other drug, is highly addictive for some people.

by Anonymousreply 1401/16/2013

You're all very interesting, but I think OP was looking for [italic]instructions[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 1501/16/2013

A&E's Intervention had two shows about male alcoholics in their 30's who could not stop drinking. At the end of each show, the postscript said that each man had died from alcohol-related organ failure.

We hear constantly about the deadly effects of smoking, but not so much drinking. It amazes me how truly ignorant some people are about how deadly drinking can be - it's just as deadly as smoking, and tends to kill you at a younger age than tobacco can.

by Anonymousreply 1601/16/2013

It's actually worse than smoking because a) alcohol addiction is hereditary and b) it's a mood changer, unlike smoking. I mean smoking may calm someone down but we all know what alcohol does to people. I would much rather someone I love be addicted to cigarettes than alcohol. They're both going to kill you eventually but death by alcohol is not pretty.

by Anonymousreply 1701/16/2013

Let me clarify ...what I meant is, if I had to choose between cigarettes and alcohol it would be cigarettes. They are both nasty habits for sure and I wouldn't want someone I love to die from either addiction but alcohol is far worse and also much harder to quit. I once smoked (for about 8 years) but was able to quit. Alcoholism destroys many lives.

by Anonymousreply 1801/16/2013

William Holden was so drunk he passed out and hit his head on the corner of a table and bled to death.

by Anonymousreply 1901/16/2013

Alcohol poisoning, which is what killed Amy Winehouse. It also does damage to the liver over a period of excessive drinking. You can drink yourself to death in more ways than one.

by Anonymousreply 2001/16/2013

I heard about an alcoholic that suffered from dehydration and was diagnosed with kidney failure and died. Last few weeks of his life, he drank a la Nick Cage in Leaving Las Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 2101/16/2013

My sister had a friend, a creep who tried to rape me twice, who had a ruptured esophagus. He was going to have to stop drinking for yet more surgery. He decided he didn't want it so he locked himself in a room and drank. Took about three days before he died.

My sister was shocked!!! I danced a little jig.

by Anonymousreply 2201/16/2013

My mother's second husband was a hopeless alcoholic redneck. He would start drinking at five in the morning, and continue drinking all throughout the day. He'd drink until evening and then it would appear he'd pass out rather than sleep. He got gout in his early twenties. He kept alcohol in his car; he'd swill it while he was driving. He was absolutely unwilling to stop drinking, never even tried to. He died at age 48 from cancer (alcoholics are more susceptible to cancer than people who aren't heavy drinkers). I think it could rightly be said that he drank himself to death. Good riddance. He was a total asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2301/16/2013

Alcohol is the only drug which is absorbed by and damages every organ of the body.

by Anonymousreply 2401/16/2013 is the only drug that one can die during withdrawal.

by Anonymousreply 2501/16/2013

Everyone knows about cirrhosis, but it doesn't look like anyone's mentioned Pancreatitis. That's what got my brother, who by coincidence also drank himself to death at 33. In addition to the booze, he was ingesting overdose levels of calcium, popping Tums to deal with the heartburn. I know it sounds strange to OD on Tums, but in his case that was basically all he was eating.

We'll never know if he was deliberately choosing a slow, painful and inefficient method of suicide (like in Leaving Las Vegas), or if he bottomed out and death was the side effect.

by Anonymousreply 2601/16/2013

That is not true R25. You can die in withdrawal of benzos and opiates as well.

by Anonymousreply 2701/16/2013

Bix Beiderbecke died at 28 from alcoholism.

by Anonymousreply 2801/16/2013

R27, I stand corrected!

by Anonymousreply 2901/16/2013

You can do it (drink youreself to death) in one night. I know someone who did.

by Anonymousreply 3001/16/2013

Thanks so much for this thread guys. As somebody keenly pursuing the advanced stages of this process, all I want say is you rock! :)

by Anonymousreply 3101/04/2015

A friend of my boyfriend's just died two days ago, he drank himself to death. He had been drinking steadily for a few months. His family said that the past week he quit talking and was falling down all the time. Sunday morning his daughter went to check on him and he was dead. His family was going to take him to the hospital that morning. There are more than a few ways to die from drinking alcohol. It's a terrible disease.

by Anonymousreply 3201/13/2015

I am a recovering alcoholic, sober 18 years now. I drank 12-18 beers every single night. This year, I have been diagnosed with early-onset dementia, and I am feeling its signs at the age of 55. My doctors say the most likely catalyst was the alcohol, even 18 years later.

So, it runs the gamut, from high school students choking on their own vomit, to people who never stop drinking and destroy their livers, to people like me whose health and lifespan have likely been compromised by the effects of alcohol.

Yes, you can drink yourself to death.

by Anonymousreply 3301/13/2015

You sound like a psycho r22. Too bad he wasn't successful in raping you.

by Anonymousreply 3401/13/2015

R34 What the hell is wrong with you? "Too bad he wasn't successful in raping you." What a horrible thing to say. So R22 wasn't exactly grief-stricken when their would-be rapist finally removed himself from this life, that does not make them a "psycho". R34 - DL's own Travis Bickle.

by Anonymousreply 3501/13/2015

is it safe to drink a bottle of wine or two once or twice a week?

by Anonymousreply 3601/13/2015

by Anonymousreply 3701/14/2015

R36 How big is the bottle?

by Anonymousreply 3801/14/2015

A doctor told the fiancee of a co-worker that if he didn't stop drinking 24/7, he'd be dead by the age of thirty. He died at age thirty-one.

by Anonymousreply 3901/14/2015

My dad had alcoholic dementia and was diagnosed at 65. He had been sober for four years & was a binge drinker. It is a truly soul destroying disease and he ended up taking his life.

by Anonymousreply 4001/14/2015

Richard Burton was just 58 when he died from an alcohol-related stroke. He also had cirrhosis for about 3 years before his death, yet he couldn't stop drinking.

by Anonymousreply 4101/14/2015

Drinking will damage the heart, weakens the heart muscles, damages the coronary arteries. Damage the liver. The liver filters toxins, excessive alcohol will cause the cells in the liver to die and create a fatty liver, a damaged liver will send toxins into the blood stream, and also cause loss of weight due to loss of digestive function. Cirhosis will affect the kidney function also. You will get gout, excessive uric acid in the blood. The body can only handle so much damage, excessive abuse will shut all major organs down.

by Anonymousreply 4204/15/2015

My brother-in-law drank himself to death. Officially, it was heart failure. He also had developed (alcohol related) diabetes and had to wear a leg cast for years, I believe it was. I think they amputated part of his leg in the last weeks of his life. He was 49, and I miss him.

by Anonymousreply 4304/15/2015

I am not much of a drinker but it is hard for me to get drunk. I found out why from my dentist. Novacaine only works on me for a short time. He asked me if I was of Irish background. I have something called an over metabolizing liver. It is common in people of Irish decent. I can get buzzed but rarely act drunk because the alcohol goes through my system quickly. The one time I actually tried to drink myself drunk, in my youth, I ended up passing out and vomiting in my sleep. People with my condition can actually drink themselves to the point of blood toxicity and die from alcohol poisoning.

by Anonymousreply 4404/15/2015

Jon Bonham of Led Zepplin asphyxiated after massive bout of alcohol ingestion, age 32.

Hank Williams died of heart failure related to alcoholism, age 29.

The massive quantities some folks drink during their binges is what is most dangerous and damaging to multiple organs.

by Anonymousreply 4504/15/2015

Here in the Netherlands (and Britain as well) teenagers regularly drink themselves into a coma and people seem to laugh it off, but when one dumb tourist freaks out after a bad magic mushroom trip (they were legal here for a while), moral panic ensues and magic mushrooms are instantly banned.

by Anonymousreply 4604/15/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!