Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

British mystery shows - is anyone here a fan?

My favorite is Poirot

by Anonymousreply 425April 22, 2019 8:19 PM

I watched tons of them when I was a kid. Loved Poirot, Holmes, and Morse. Never did care for Miss Marple. I've seen a few of the Inspector Lewis shows and I like them, but forget to record them and thus can't participate in the great threads we have about them on DL.

By the way, if anyone wants to buy the entire series of Inspector Morse, it's hundreds of dollars cheaper to get a region-free DVD player and buy the UK set.

by Anonymousreply 1December 15, 2010 3:41 AM

Love them all. Just got the complete t.v. series of Poirot and the production really is terrific:the sets, costumes, make-up all very true to the period - beautiful and seductive.

by Anonymousreply 2December 15, 2010 3:50 AM

I loved Morse. When I wanted something lighter, I'd watch Lovejoy. A&E used to run a night of British mysteries once a week during the 90s. That's how I got hooked.

by Anonymousreply 3December 15, 2010 3:59 AM

Did anyone watch Campion? I missed it when it was on PBS and I think it was only one season, too.

by Anonymousreply 4December 15, 2010 9:16 AM

You've got a long memory R4. There were two series, twenty years ago. Great role for the late Brian Glover as Lugg.

by Anonymousreply 5December 15, 2010 9:24 AM

Sherlock. Prime Suspect. Marple - yes, with Geraldine McEwan

Campions are on Netflix aren't they?

by Anonymousreply 6December 15, 2010 9:53 AM

Just worked my way through the Poirot's thru Netflix. Delightful. Same for the Christie's, the Foyle's War, Tommy and Tuppence, Mrs. Bradley, Jonanthan Creek, Dorothy Sayers Peter Wimsey, Rosemary and Thyme and Blue Murders. %0D %0D The only series that I gave up on was the Father Brown series from the late 70's. Just could not get in to that one.%0D %0D Still not sure about Pie in the Sky.%0D %0D OP, have you watched any of the Midsomer Murders? Love... love those!

by Anonymousreply 7December 15, 2010 11:11 AM

Mystery! on Thursday nights was the only semi-bonding moment I had with my dad, R5, so I have a lot of memories of the 1980s British mystery shows.

R7, I tried to watch all the Morse on Netflix but they were missing a few, so I ended up buying the entire series from Amazon UK. Glad I did, too. Just saw the episode with Simon Callow's naked butt, a milestone indeed.

by Anonymousreply 8December 15, 2010 11:30 AM

Sherlock - adore it. Marple, the new ones (McEwen, especially, and McKenzie). Midsomer Murders. Rosemary and Thyme. Poirot, of course, although the last series was not very good - I hope they let him have at least one more series of four. Morse I could never get into, but I like Inspector Lewis. Jonathan Creek, love it, Tommy and Tuppence (is the guy who played Tommy, James Warwick, gay? 63 years old, still handsome, and never been married). I've got the full set of Inspector Alleyn, but haven't watched them.

by Anonymousreply 9December 15, 2010 11:31 AM

Apart from Sherlock have any of you actually seen any recent UK crime drama such as Accused, Garrow's Law, Luther (truly awful tbh), or even long running standards such as Taggart?

by Anonymousreply 10December 15, 2010 11:41 AM

I love Midsomer Murders, Miss Marple and Poirot.

by Anonymousreply 11December 15, 2010 11:44 AM

Luther sucks? Damn, I was thinking of ordering that just to watch Idris Elba.

by Anonymousreply 12December 15, 2010 11:45 AM

I watch British mystery shows for the pretty settings and costumes. The plots of most of them are tedious, silly, and overly full of red herrings. Apparently everyone in every picturesque village and at Oxford is leading a sordid double life and is prone to random killing sprees.

by Anonymousreply 13December 15, 2010 12:02 PM

r13 - much like Cabot Cove then?

by Anonymousreply 14December 15, 2010 12:14 PM

Love them, used to watch on PBS and A&E. Most of my favorites have already been mentioned: Morse, Campion, Rosemary & Thyme, Jonathan Creek, Tommy and Tuppence, Lovejoy, Midsomer Murders, Inspector Lewis. I like McEwan's Marple the best, and enjoyed the new Sherlock.

Anyone remember Heat of the Sun with Trevor Eve?

by Anonymousreply 15December 15, 2010 12:20 PM

[quote]Luther sucks? Damn, I was thinking of ordering that just to watch Idris Elba.

It's a great idea, it has good scripts and great actors but, for some reason it just doesn't work at all.

[quote]I watch British mystery shows for the pretty settings and costumes.

That's just the costume dramas you won't get that from modern dress UK crime.

by Anonymousreply 16December 15, 2010 12:28 PM

[quote]Heat of the Sun with Trevor Eve

Rocked!

by Anonymousreply 17December 15, 2010 12:51 PM

Do you get Foyle's War in the States? That is really excellent. It stars Michael Kitchen, who is one of the best actors of his generation.

by Anonymousreply 18December 15, 2010 1:00 PM

Regarding costumes. Anyone remember Agatha Christie's Partners in Crime?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 15, 2010 1:04 PM

[quote]Michael Kitchen

Rocks!

by Anonymousreply 20December 15, 2010 1:10 PM

I include the modern Morse, Lewis, Rosemary and Thyme shows in with the pretty settings/costume stuff. I guess it's the complete lack of believable motivations and psychology in most British mystery shows that annoys me. I love Swedish and German mystery shows, though. They're great at creating twisted personalities. I never watch American mystery shows, for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 21December 15, 2010 1:11 PM

[quote]I include the modern Morse, Lewis, Rosemary and Thyme shows in with the pretty settings/costume stuff.

Apart from Lewis they're a bit old but I don't get the pretty settings and costumes comment. It's just England and English people - all fairly ordinary and mundane, nothing overdone or special. OK, Oxford isn't a Wigan industrial estate but neither is it anything other than a fairly ordinary town with slightly more University buildings than other places.

by Anonymousreply 22December 15, 2010 1:29 PM

Sherlock, Morse, A Touch of Frost, Foyle's War.

by Anonymousreply 23December 15, 2010 2:05 PM

Jericho was very good, and I'm sorry it was canceled.

by Anonymousreply 24December 15, 2010 2:17 PM

It's curious which British shows are marketed to the U.S. I loved John Thaw as Morse, but I really had no idea that he'd had prior successful shows. I found out about [italic]The Sweeney[/italic] because it was mentioned in a British mystery novel.

And vice versa, I suppose. The Times ran a list of U.S. TV shows that Brits ought to check out. I was surprised to see [italic]Supernatural[/italic] on there. I love it, but wouldn't have guessed it would have appeal abroad.

by Anonymousreply 25December 15, 2010 2:20 PM

I recently discovered "Waking the Dead." Some of the episodes are very good. Some are like watching paint dry.

by Anonymousreply 26December 15, 2010 2:25 PM

Foyle's War is the absolute best of all of them. Every episode in the series is watchable. Beautifully written, acted and designed.%0D %0D I'm trying, but failing, to get much joy out of the Midsomer Murders series which was (at least originally) produced and written by Foyle genius Anthony Horowitz. But the Midsomer episodes are mostly ho-hum lazy exercises and I just can't get into the lead recurring actors....blanking even on their real names.%0D %0D I also loved all of the original Morse shows though the solutions to the mysteries were often too convoluted to make logical sense. But LOVED sexy John Thaw as Morse! I'm enjoying the Lewis sequels now though they realy seem more like ordinary British versions of an American detective show.%0D %0D As far as Marple goes....they begin and end with Joan Hickson as far as I'm concerned. Her version of A Murder Is Announced is a masterpiece of the genre. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 27December 15, 2010 2:28 PM

Thaw was a big star on British TV well before (and after)Morse, both in drama and comedy.

[quote]I was surprised to see Supernatural on there. I love it, but wouldn't have guessed it would have appeal abroad.

In terms of viewer numbers at one time it was more successful in the UK than it ever was in the US. But, after it jumped the shark in series 3 it lost a ton of viewers here. It's sold here as a pretty action series for teens, like all the different vampire series and comedies like Big Bang - not sure who the target audience is in the US. A sot of Buffy or Charmed for the new batch of 12-18 yr olds.

by Anonymousreply 28December 15, 2010 2:30 PM

If you're into the period stuff you should try to gt hold of Garrow's Law. Set in the 18th Century and based on real cases it has the added bonus of the lovely Rupert Graves, as does Sherlock of course.

by Anonymousreply 29December 15, 2010 2:38 PM

The first three seasons of Wire In The Blood were appointment TV for me, but the final three were only so-so, although still better than most of what passes for a mystery show made in the US, and I fear what CBS is going to do with their version of it.

I will re- watch any episode of Prime Suspect if I run across it on any of the low-rent PBS stations in my area.

Midsomer Murders is my comfort watch. It never fails to make me feel better. That could be because of the very same reasons that r27 doesn't like it. It is slow and lazy and repetitive. It's soothing, but with some brain engagement required.

And of course, there's Sherlock. That's pure gold.

by Anonymousreply 30December 15, 2010 3:21 PM

What am I. Chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 31December 15, 2010 3:26 PM

[quote] What am I. Chopped liver?%0D %0D Not at all, Sir. I mentioned you in my post. Loved the three you did with Harriet Walter that came under the title Dorothy Sayer Mysteries. And of course, the entire Whimsey series from the 70's.

by Anonymousreply 32December 15, 2010 4:06 PM

I loved Morse, Prime Suspect and Sherlock with Jeremy Brett. A Touch of Frost and Poirot can be enjoyable. I did not watch any of the other ones. Just one Agatha Christie with whatshername from Absolutley Fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 33December 15, 2010 4:13 PM

Thanks for the Trevor Eve recommendation. Never heard of that series. Just added it on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 34December 15, 2010 4:14 PM

[quote]Midsomer Murders is my comfort watch. It never fails to make me feel better. That could be because of the very same reasons that [R27] doesn't like it. It is slow and lazy and repetitive. It's soothing, but with some brain engagement required.%0D %0D Me too! A cup of tea or coffee and a cookie (or two) and I'm set. Love Midsomer.

by Anonymousreply 35December 15, 2010 4:16 PM

Love "A Touch of Frost"!

by Anonymousreply 36December 15, 2010 5:43 PM

r31, I like Lord Peter, too.

by Anonymousreply 37December 15, 2010 6:53 PM

Another fan of Lord Peter - and Joan Hickson is my favorite Miss Marple, and among my favorite of the British detectives. I enjoy Roy Marsden doing P. D. James' books, but now I can't remember his character's name.

Oh I've loved them all. Even back to Basil Rathbone's Sherlock. And back in the day, I enjoyed Peter Falk's Columbo but can't really think of any other American detective series I liked very much - too earnest and too many guns. Oh, Burke's Law was ok I guess, for its time.

by Anonymousreply 38December 15, 2010 7:08 PM

Love the British shows. Poirot, Morse, Inspector Lewis, Rosemary and Thyme, Bergerac, Midsomer Murders, Dalziel and Pascoe...

by Anonymousreply 39December 15, 2010 7:14 PM

[quote]I enjoy Roy Marsden doing P. D. James' books, but now I can't remember his character's name.

Adam Dagliesh.

by Anonymousreply 40December 15, 2010 7:25 PM

I love mysteries, but I can't stand English accents. I wish there were more good mysteries written/filmed by other nationalities.

by Anonymousreply 41December 15, 2010 7:31 PM

[quote]I can't stand English accents What all of them? Cornwall to Northumberland? How do you feel about the other UK accents which appear on these programmes? Do you dislike Scots, Welsh and N. Irish accents too?

by Anonymousreply 42December 15, 2010 8:25 PM

Yes, all of them and I particularly can't stand the accents of people who have learned British English as a second language. I like Irish accents. Scots are okay in limited doses. Welsh irritate me.

by Anonymousreply 43December 15, 2010 11:06 PM

Are the Dalziel/Pascoe mysteries really good? I adore the books but had always heard that the series was disappointing. Same with the Ruth Rendell Inspector Wexford series, many of which I've enjoyed as books. %0D %0D In any case, neither of those series seems to be very available in the US. I don't think PBS has ever carried them.

by Anonymousreply 44December 16, 2010 1:15 AM

Forget the costumes - where does the BBC get all those antique cars for the Christie shows?

by Anonymousreply 45December 16, 2010 1:48 AM

Joan Hickson was a bloody bore. That's probably why r1 could never get interested in Miss Marple (although as a rule, even in the original novels, Poirot's stories are always a little effort and have more punch than Marple's)

The redone A Murder is Announced is my favorite. Zoe Wannamaker is brilliant and it's fun seeing Elaine Paige play drab Dora knowing she couldn't wait to glam back up after she left the studio.

by Anonymousreply 46December 16, 2010 1:54 AM

But no...you had to go and play Hercule fucking Poitrot!

by Anonymousreply 47December 16, 2010 1:57 AM

So is it true that there will be no more Poirots? I know Suchet wanted to get through everything and end with "CURTAIN," but I guess the future was iffy.

by Anonymousreply 48December 16, 2010 1:59 AM

Speaking of Adam D/Roy Marsden, what happened to him? The last one I watched had an unwatchable actor do Adam D. I didn't realize how much Roy M brought to the table in the PDJ books. Yes I googled a long time ago and found nothing.

by Anonymousreply 49December 16, 2010 4:23 AM

[quote]So is it true that there will be no more Poirots?

Murder on the Orient Express is on over Christmas. After that there may be a few more to show and then they've finished all the stories.

by Anonymousreply 50December 16, 2010 5:26 AM

[quote]where does the BBC get all those antique cars for the Christie shows?

It hires them from people like my brother. There are thousands of veteran, vintage and classic cars still on the road or in personal collections. It's not difficult to find something appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 51December 16, 2010 5:28 AM

Not really a mystery series, but I've been eating up Ashes To Ashes lately. Love the 80s nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 52December 16, 2010 5:59 AM

R50, Murder on the Orient Express was shown in the US last summer (it's not very good, unfortunately). But there are still three or four books to be filmed (including Curtain), and a few short stories. Enough to do one or two more series. But Suchet said the BBC was ambivalent about whether they'll bankroll any more. "Orient Express" may be the finale.

by Anonymousreply 53December 16, 2010 6:18 AM

[quote]I found out about The Sweeney because it was mentioned in a British mystery novel.

I bought "The Sweeney" because I was already ordering Morse from Amazon UK and figured they might as well ship 2 DVD box sets over here to the US. Love "The Sweeney." It's not really a mystery show, it's a police procedural, but it's very good.

I absolutely love Jonathan Gash's Lovejoy books, and his other series with Clair Burtonall is terrific, too. Hated the TV show "Lovejoy". They changed the character Tinker from a really disgusting old man to a cute little scamp.

by Anonymousreply 54December 16, 2010 7:21 AM

McEwen all the way. Jonathan Creek, the new Sherlock. Never warmed to Brett, but had fantasies about Basil Rathbone. I killed Dr Watson (the bore) and it played out as The Maltese Falcon. (I was Brigit O'Shaunessy, in case you wondered.)

Don't like the Branaugh series. He looks too rough.

Agree only the first 3 eps of Supernatural are worth anything

by Anonymousreply 55December 16, 2010 7:50 AM

meant first 3 years. I even proofread.

by Anonymousreply 56December 16, 2010 7:56 AM

[quote]But Suchet said the BBC was ambivalent about whether they'll bankroll any more. "Orient Express" may be the finale.

Why would the BBC be involved, it's an ITV series?

by Anonymousreply 57December 16, 2010 8:02 AM

Did anyone here watch [italic]Red Riding[/italic]? I tried reading the first book, and it was a bit gritty for me. I have a thing for Sean Bean, so I'm wondering whether to give the show a try.

by Anonymousreply 58December 16, 2010 8:18 AM

[quote]Did anyone here watch Red Riding?

It was very good, and easily as gritty as the book.

by Anonymousreply 59December 16, 2010 8:20 AM

Did anyone here like [italic]Red Riding[/italic]? I tried the first book and found it too gritty to finish. OTOH, I like Sean Bean, so I'm wondering whether to give the BBC show a try.

Sorry if this is a duplicate post.

by Anonymousreply 60December 16, 2010 8:25 AM

I really enjoyed Touch of Frost - that old guy was great fun. Wonder if it'll ever be re-run. Seems like PBS doesn't do as many British series as it used to. Didn't they combine Masterpiece Theatre and Mystery into one, cutting in half their Sunday night Brit program?

by Anonymousreply 61December 17, 2010 6:52 PM

They've divided them up, R61. Masterpiece Classic (Wuthering Heights, Oliver Twist, Emma etc) hosted by Laura Linney. Masterpiece Mystery is hosted by Alan Cumming. Finally, there is Masterpiece Contemporary. Don't remember the host's name for that series.

by Anonymousreply 62December 17, 2010 9:18 PM

I'm loving them OP!

by Anonymousreply 63December 17, 2010 9:35 PM

R3, I was just trying to remember Lovejoy, for the thread about English sightseeing. Those stories took place in East Anglia. I was stuck on those Monday evenings on A&E, as well.

I loved the old Masterpiece mysteries doing the Dorothy Sayers mysteries. Loved Lord Peter Wimsey.

by Anonymousreply 64December 17, 2010 10:24 PM

I forget to watch them but I've rented some British TV shows. I liked Hotel Babylon but Flying High was kind of cheesy. I rented Flying High because Tom Wisdom is so cute.

by Anonymousreply 65December 17, 2010 10:33 PM

R42, I love all British accents.

by Anonymousreply 66December 17, 2010 10:36 PM

r57, well, ITV then. The point was, that whoever is in charge was not committing to doing any further Poirots, finishing off the series. "Orient Express" was designed to be the "finale" to the series, in the event that they didn't go forward with any others. Suchet made a statement that he hoped there would be more, but if there weren't, he had certainly had a good ride. But I just found an online mention that ITV has now agreed to do one more series in 2011 - presumably "Elephants Can Remember," "Dead Man's Folly," and "Curtain," and maybe one more. "Orient Express" isn't particularly good - not horrible, as a couple of the recent Poirots have been, but not great, either (like "Hallowe'en Party" was).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 17, 2010 10:38 PM

Me, too, R30 and R35. I liked to pick up and clean a bit while watching Midsomer Murders. I hate cleaning and the show made it tolerable.

I liked most of these shows, but really don't like the modern ones done in the past several years. Sherlock is probably the single exception.

by Anonymousreply 68December 17, 2010 10:41 PM

Article about the last-minute save of "Poirot." It says they are going to film six episodes. Apparently the success of "Downton Abbey" was responsible for the reprieve.

Interestingly, Suchet recommends at the end that they they get a younger actor to do some stories of Poirots early years, not based on Christie, in the style of the current "Sherlock."

I wonder what a "Poirot" set in 2013 would be like?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 17, 2010 10:45 PM

[quote]Apparently the success of "Downton Abbey" was responsible for the reprieve.

I'm very happy to read that. I love "Downton Abbey".

A lot of studios and TV channels keep their statements (whether they give a show another season or not) vague so they can change or adjust their programming because of sudden changes (ratings, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 70December 17, 2010 10:55 PM

I like Midsomer Murders for its totally over the top plots. They are not as good as they once were though. Tomorrow the last episode with John Nettles is aired in UK. Maybe with Barnaby's cousin taking over, they will be able to re-invigorate the series.

I also like Lewis.

Poirot is an institution. New Marple is bleah

by Anonymousreply 71February 1, 2011 2:06 PM

I kind of started getting into Johnathan Creek a few years then it disappeared off BBC. Is still on at some weird time? All I ever see now is Top Gear and Dr. Who over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 72February 1, 2011 2:12 PM

I like Tales Of The Unexpected from the 70s.%0D You must be able to get them on DVD.%0D %0D I'm also quite tempted by 'Thriller' from the 70s or 80s, but it's expensive and the reviews are very conflicting.%0D %0D 'Public Eye' from the 70s is really good. I've got most of the series now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 1, 2011 2:21 PM

What about Hetty Wainthrop Investigates?

by Anonymousreply 74February 1, 2011 2:58 PM

I watch the shows (especially the Christie ones) and come away with the feeling that the UK has:%0D %0D 1. An inexhaustible supply of classically trained character actors and;%0D %0D 2. An inexhaustible supply of quaint villages, country manors, village cottages with stunning gardens and really eccentric people.

by Anonymousreply 75February 1, 2011 3:00 PM

I like Midsomer Murders, but I find Poirot utterly boring..

by Anonymousreply 76February 1, 2011 3:01 PM

The British myserty shows usually were very traditional/conservative. But Midsomer Murders actually included a plot about a rich lady having an affair because her husband was gay. He apparently had affairs as well, which she totally knew about, and kinda accepted because of his sexuality.

I think it's awesome of Midsomer Murders to include gay themed plots as well. Maybe that's why I like it so much. And yes, it is totally over the top, but fun nontheless.

by Anonymousreply 77February 1, 2011 3:07 PM

Then you'd be right, R75. Not just in fiction.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 78February 1, 2011 3:08 PM

I get the impression that a lot of people in the US think the BBC is the only organisation making TV shows in the UK! %0D %0D Most of the shows under discussion here (Poirot, Marple, Morse, Lewis, Foyle's War, Modsomer Murders) are made and broadcast by ITV, one of the UK's commercial stations.

by Anonymousreply 79February 1, 2011 3:57 PM

Because these shows are invariably broadcast in the US by PBS (public television).

by Anonymousreply 80February 1, 2011 4:07 PM

Americans just say BBC as a shortcut referring to all British television.

by Anonymousreply 81February 1, 2011 4:30 PM

Midsomer population:

1/3 adulterous sluts and playboys 1/3 gays 1/3 too old to have sex

by Anonymousreply 82February 1, 2011 5:17 PM

There was one from the mid-90s I think that I really liked -- it was about a detective who was all excited about retiring because his real love was food and now he could open a restaurant. His wife was a CPA (or whatever the Brits call them) who had no interest in the culinary arts (no taste buds, I think) but good-naturedly offered to do his books and helped him set up the venture during his last months on the force.

Despite his devotion to food, he was a stellar detective who never missed a case except for the last one, when he was double crossed by an informant, and set up to look like he was on the take. This wasn't the case and everyone knew it, but the chief blackmailed him and said he would only get his pension if he agreed to be on-call to investigate the hardest cases. So, inevitably, he would be in the middle of a souffle or something, and the young cop assigned to him as an assistant would show up and interrupt his cooking with a that week's mystery.

I think the show was called "Pie in the Sky" and used a real restaurant in a smaller Brit city as its locale. The stories, unlike most in the US, were well written and true to life, especially where New World Order employment issues were concerned. His excellent staff were mostly those who didn't "fit in" and had "bad attitudes" in the places he found them, mostly toxic businesses.

The local PBS station used to air it with "Rosemary and Thyme" back when I lived in the Bay Area, but I haven't seen it around lately.

by Anonymousreply 83February 1, 2011 5:24 PM

For the promotion of "Orient Express" there was as "Orient Express" docu special with David Suchet travelling from London to Prague on the Orient Express (he talks to some of the other guests and there's an older gay couple being on their honeymoon). In that special he mentioned that remaking Orient Express was the (proper?) ending for the show or something to that effect. I understand that the special was filmed before the decision was made to greenlight one more season.

by Anonymousreply 84February 1, 2011 5:43 PM

I liked Wallander but there were only three shows.

by Anonymousreply 85February 1, 2011 5:52 PM

Joan Hickson as Miss Marple was what we watched in the 80s, and that is the definitive one for me. There is just no one else who comes close- all of the episodes were brilliant. I particularly enjoyed the "4:15 From Paddington" and "The Body In The Library".

And then came Poirot. I've seen several actors play the Belgian detective and only Suchet seems like the books, to me. Ustinov was too nice, Finney too nasty. We all loved the TV series when it was just an hour but the feature-length episodes were much better, in retrospect.

I also watched "Pie In The Sky" when I was about 16/17 and thoroughly enjoyed it. I expect it's incredibly dated and the stories don't stand up now.

After the fact in the last couple of years on ITV4, I also greatly enjoyed Jeremy Brett's take on Sherlock Holmes from the mid 80s.

Ironically though, Columbo has always been my favourite TV Detective. Especially given that the focus is always the same- not who did it but how will they get found out.

by Anonymousreply 86February 1, 2011 6:01 PM

R86 I was watching Peter Falk in something the other night and I realized he was quite hot IMO back in his youth. Strange that you mention him.

by Anonymousreply 87February 1, 2011 6:10 PM

[quote]Ironically though, Columbo has always been my favourite TV Detective. Especially given that the focus is always the same- not who did it but how will they get found out.%0D %0D Is that what it was about? Who knew? %0D %0D I could never follow it for long enough.

by Anonymousreply 88February 1, 2011 6:13 PM

"I liked Wallander but there were only three shows."

There are 6 Wallander movies 3 aired in 2008 and 3 in 2010

by Anonymousreply 89February 1, 2011 6:16 PM

[quote] Strange that you mention him.%0D %0D Spooky!

by Anonymousreply 90February 1, 2011 6:17 PM

R88 I meant it was ironic I, coming from a country with a proud whodunnit tradition, should be most into a show where you're told from the start, which on the face of it doesn't seem very interesting at all. Columbo is unique in this sense and that's why it's interesting I think.

Imagine when they pitched this show to the network? They were probably like- "it's a murder mystery but we show the murder at the start??? Huh?!? Get out of my office!"

But then what's the most successful high quality sitcom of all time? The show about nothing, Seinfeld. Ah, but I digress.

by Anonymousreply 91February 1, 2011 6:21 PM

AYB, have you seen the thread on washer/dryers? I hope you find the time to contribute to the conversation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92February 1, 2011 6:32 PM

Wallander (which has a second series btw and it was good)

Luther

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Britt

Morse

Prime Suspect

Poirot

And has anyone seen the L&O UK? Because it's absolute shit.

by Anonymousreply 93February 1, 2011 6:53 PM

If you like the cat and mouse aspect of Columbo, you must like the original version of Sleuth, with Michael Caine and Laurence Olivier. I can't believe that's still not available on dvd.

by Anonymousreply 94February 1, 2011 7:26 PM

The Hickson Marples were dull, and Hickson herself was a snooze. Thank God they've redone them so there's an alternative for those of us who like our mysteries to be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 95February 1, 2011 7:47 PM

[quote]I kind of started getting into Johnathan Creek a few years then it disappeared off BBC.

They stopped making them years ago, good job too since the quality plummeted after the first two series.

by Anonymousreply 96February 1, 2011 7:57 PM

They made some Jonathan Creek specials in the last couple of years: New Year's Day 2009 and Easter 2010

by Anonymousreply 97February 1, 2011 9:26 PM

Anyone saw Midsomer Murders' "Fit For Murder"?

I don't want to spoil the ending (the last five minutes), but what I love about the show is whenever they have some supernatural element in their murder mysteries they allways reveal most of it as a hoax, but leave the door open for some part of it being real.

by Anonymousreply 98February 10, 2011 9:03 PM

R81, it doesn't help that BBC America airs programming from every UK network.

by Anonymousreply 99February 10, 2011 9:11 PM

Love Taggart!

by Anonymousreply 100February 10, 2011 9:25 PM

Wasn't there some kind of scandal attached to Jonathan Creek? Alan Davies had Caroline Quentin dumped because he was screwing Julia Sawalha and Sawalha became his co-star but no one liked her because Quentin was so popular. And he broke up with Sawalha so age was dumped too, and the whole thing was so painful that Sawalha took a sabbatical from her career.

Did I get it right, or was this all just rumor?

by Anonymousreply 101February 13, 2011 7:20 AM

R49, Roy Marsden has refused to continue playing Adam Dalgliesh. I've seen him interviewed on the topic and he's quite adamant. If I recall, his decision was based on a combination of having become overly identified with the character and his boredom at playing the character too many times. It's a shame, because P.D. James and Marsden's Dalgliesh are BBC Mystery at its best. I generally love British mysteries, both to watch and read. There are a few I could never warm up to: Lord Peter Whimsey, the one about the monk, and Hetty Wainthropp for three. I loved Robson Green in Wire in the Blood and Helen Mirren in Prime Suspect. I also enjoyed Clive Owens in the Second Sight series. I have enjoyed all the Miss Marples, even the rather boring and superficial Helen Hayes version. I admit to having developed a terrible crush on John Thaw as Inspector Morse, but that has not extended to dull as dishwater Inspector Lewis.

by Anonymousreply 102February 13, 2011 8:10 AM

Holmes, Marple, Poirot, I love just about all of them. Morse and Dalgliesh in the P.D. James mysteries are probably my favorites.

I also love the police procedurals with Helen Mirren, Robson Green, and a few others whose names escape me. Oddly enough, I'm not into any similar shows, i.e., CSI, etc., etc., etc., from the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 103February 13, 2011 8:40 AM

No actress has been as good as Joan Hickson as Miss Marple

by Anonymousreply 104February 13, 2011 8:46 AM

Agreed, r104. She was extraordinary.%0D %0D There was a 1982 Thames TV series of adaptations of lesser-known Christie short stories, called The Agatha Christie Hour. It's recently been released on DVD; they look a bit low-budget in places but have some top-quality performances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 13, 2011 10:06 AM

Campion is one of the best in my opinion - Peter Davison and Brian Glover were perfect for those roles. A pity they only did 8 of the novels.

by Anonymousreply 106February 13, 2011 10:09 AM

Brian Glover died in 1997, unfortunately

by Anonymousreply 107February 13, 2011 10:18 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 108February 14, 2011 12:44 AM

Love "Wire in the Blood" series, especially the last 2 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 109February 14, 2011 2:23 AM

Thank you for that info on Roy Marsden. I had wondered what happened to him as Dalgliesh. I tried to watch the one where they had replaced him but it was just so not D that I couldn't finish it. I saw him in a Sherlock Holmes the "Sussex Vampire" and really liked him in something else. I would be glad to follow his career but do agree that his D is the best.%0D %0D I wish someone would do a good job on Lord Peter Wimsey. The stories are good, could be tightened up a bit but I really like the era they portrayed. Maybe some day.

by Anonymousreply 110February 14, 2011 4:09 AM

Does anyone remember a show from the 70s, perhaps even earlier, about a British rock band that solved murder mysteries?

I vaguely remember this show from when I was a kid and can't remember the name or much of anything else except that they were fun to a teenager.

There may have been an occult-ish element as well.

by Anonymousreply 111April 30, 2011 4:13 AM

I think it was called "Murder, They Rocked," r111.

by Anonymousreply 112May 1, 2011 9:24 AM

You may be thinking of children's programme "Ace of Wands" [R111] - not a rock band but a stage magician and his assistants. A lot of the stories had supernatural elements.

by Anonymousreply 113May 1, 2011 10:38 AM

ITV (Downton Abbey,Brideshead,ect....) has some new mystery drama for the Easter,Royal Wedding,May Day Holidays.

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher was last weekend, this was well reviewed but I thought Paddy Considine was miscast.

Tonight has a new series, Vera starring Brenda Blethyn and tomorrow night and Tuesday is a 2 part drama called Case Sensitive starring Olivia Williams and Darren Boyd. Really looking forward to seeing Olivia Williams in a TV drama.

by Anonymousreply 114May 1, 2011 12:22 PM

Thanks for the heads up, r114

by Anonymousreply 115May 1, 2011 7:23 PM

I like the Foyle's War where he finds out that the he-man RAF stud was in love with his son.

by Anonymousreply 116May 1, 2011 7:49 PM

BTW, the guy who plays Poirot's son is a total hottie and a pro trainer.

I had a consultation with him and he didn't ping but he's nice to look at.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117September 15, 2011 3:56 AM

Poirot had a son? Which book/episode was that in?

by Anonymousreply 118September 15, 2011 5:49 AM

Rob Suchet is David Suchet's son. David Suchet plays Poirot.

by Anonymousreply 119September 15, 2011 6:17 AM

R118, I think that R117 is referring to David Suchet's real-life son. It would have been less confusing if he'd written "the son of the guy who played Poirot" instead of "the guy who played Poirot's son".

by Anonymousreply 120September 15, 2011 6:19 AM

I'm not familiar with some of the series cited here. I liked Prime Suspect, Second Sight, Inspector Lynley, Heat of the Sun, Luther, and the new Sherlock.

I watched the most recent Poirots, Marples, Zens and Inspector Lewis' broadcast on PBS, but it didn't turn me into a fan.

by Anonymousreply 121September 15, 2011 10:19 AM

Can't believe no one has mentioned Inspector Lyndley. I think that these are the best. Although Inspector Lewis is quite good too.

Midsomer Murders are the Murder She Wrote of English TV. They're more for a middle brow viewer, and there's no continuity; you can watch any one in any order. That said, some of them are really quite good. A few are excellent. And a few are so bad they're ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 122September 15, 2011 12:54 PM

r122, I LOVE Inspector Lyndley. Nathaniel Parker is a real hottie.

by Anonymousreply 123September 18, 2011 7:15 PM

I love the Midsomer series. John Nettles was kind of hot in his own way. Also love Poirot and Marple with Geraldine.

by Anonymousreply 124September 18, 2011 7:36 PM

Waking The Dead is a really awesome show with some wonderful acting.

by Anonymousreply 125September 18, 2011 7:41 PM

I think Nettles deserves his own thread.

by Anonymousreply 126September 18, 2011 7:41 PM

Im sorry but nothing beats FOYLE'S WAR.

Amazing actors, plotting, period design, the whole thing. Not a single weak or uninteresting episode in all its years.

I thought I'd heard awhile back that the series was going to resume in the post-WWII years but haven't heard anything recently. Does anyone have any info?

by Anonymousreply 127September 18, 2011 7:45 PM

I watch Rosemary and Thyme and Midsomer Murders for the landscaping.

I wish I could figure out how to make such gorgeous gardens. I can't hire anyone to do it for me, as I am a middle class person living in an area that has become a second home location for jillionaires. I recently got an estimate for one carpet to be cleaned in my house --- $600. And the guy said to me, "Nobody ever asks me what anything costs. I just send the bill." (I borrowed a friend's carpet cleaner.)

So I fulfill my landscape fantasies watching these shows.

Inspector Lewis has some good landscaping, but the show is too irritating.

by Anonymousreply 128September 18, 2011 8:41 PM

I tried to get Ashes to Ashes from Netflix but they had it in limbo and then informed me they won't carry it

by Anonymousreply 129September 18, 2011 8:42 PM

Nettles has a hot daddy vibe.

by Anonymousreply 130September 18, 2011 8:55 PM

Most of them.

Inspector Morse, A Touch of Frost, Dalziel and Pascoe, Silent Witness, Wire in the Blood and a lot more.

by Anonymousreply 131September 18, 2011 9:00 PM

Rosemary and Thyme was good fun for a Saturday evening. The gardens were great and I think their last season as filmed entirely on the continent and not in England.

Also, wasn't there a a thread here years ago about how hot Laura's son the police officer was?

He had quite the pair of legs in the episode where someone was murdered at a tennis club...

by Anonymousreply 132September 18, 2011 9:01 PM

Nettles' false teeth really bothered me. I swear I could hear them clicking sometimes.

Didn't care for David Jason's Frost. I preferred him as Grenville in Open All Hours.

I liked the George Gently shows. Wish there had been more.

by Anonymousreply 133September 18, 2011 9:07 PM

John Nettles?!?!?

Are you all fuckin' blind?

by Anonymousreply 134September 18, 2011 11:19 PM

NO! Over here at the moment every day at about teatime we are suffering Midsummer Murders. It's shite. We have never known so many peeps die in one tiny village and the series seems to be going on for fucking years! It's like Jesus with bread and a few fishes making sandwiches for the 5000!

I send my sincere pity and apologies across the pond in advance of you reciving this drivel.

x

by Anonymousreply 135September 19, 2011 12:21 AM

But I love John Nettles. He can be my daddy any day.

by Anonymousreply 136September 19, 2011 7:08 AM

Inspector Lewis shows usually drag but the one about the transsexual and the antigay Catholic group was outstanding!

by Anonymousreply 137September 19, 2011 4:33 PM

[quote]Waking The Dead is a really awesome show with some wonderful acting.

I watched most of it on Netflix which has the first five season on streaming. Some episodes were unwatchable due to lousy writing and Trevor Eve's overacting, but overall it is a good show.

by Anonymousreply 138September 20, 2011 3:31 PM

I send my sincere pity and apologies across the pond in advance of you reciving this drivel.

It's just an English version of "Murder, She Wrote." Mindless, meaningless comfy TV.

Is Inspector Lewis trying to get edgy by having Hathaway smoke cigs all the time? Damn, that show is dull and stupid. It's way too long. The male and female cast members are boring and humorless.

If you're going to be a dull, stupid mystery show, at least be humorous or campy or something.

by Anonymousreply 139September 26, 2011 7:56 PM

How about Silent Witness? For some reason it's not available in the US.

by Anonymousreply 140September 26, 2011 8:04 PM

Oh I did love the Jonathan Creek tv series as well as Rosemary and Thyme. Midsomer murders, Poirot and Miss Marple (with Geraldine!) were brilliant as well. I also enjoyed such tv series like Colombo or The Avengers with Diana Rigg. I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned it before as it certainly does have a feeling of crime, although it's more on the si-fi side I guess. I recommend it to anybody who likes old tv series, Diana Rigg is wonderfull in action and my word Patrick Macnee is really worth watching. I tried watching Pie in the sky, Inspector Lewis, Lyndly (?) as well as Mrs Bradley and other tv series you all have recommended but nothing really caught me... I was wondering if anybody knows maybe more recent tv shows like lets say Rosemary and Thyme (discovered them recently and I loved them from the very start. Sadly there are not many episodes :( )or Jonathan Creek (the same here) I really enjoy tv series with murder, with interesting investigators and a story with a nice twist that is just nice for a cup of tea and some cookies.

by Anonymousreply 141August 6, 2012 6:16 PM

R141 - can you get this channel???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142August 6, 2012 6:37 PM

I did 'get' that chanel, thanks :D! I shall try out the Cracker. I'm still open for other propositions :)

by Anonymousreply 143August 6, 2012 8:54 PM

Anyone like New Tricks with its great cast. It's available on NetFlix, at least the first seven seasons.

by Anonymousreply 144August 6, 2012 10:52 PM

It's Canadian rather than British, but I'm really enjoying "Murdoch Mysteries" on Netflix. Yannick Bisson is very watchable as Detective Murdoch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145August 6, 2012 11:32 PM

I watch 'Inspector Lewis' on PBS on Sundays. The last episode of the season was last week.

The final season is being made now in the UK and will air next year.

Laurence Fox is hung like a horse - one of the biggest cocks I have ever seen on an actor. He's in Michael Fassbender territory.

by Anonymousreply 146August 6, 2012 11:36 PM

Yes, Indeed, I am trying to find out where I can watch some of them on a more regular basis. It seems like the only ones that come on PBS....Masterpiece anymore are the ones having to do with maids and the upper class......The Manor Born, etc. or maybe a reg. show like that one that comes on every night at 11:00. It seems like they hardly ever do Morse, Midsummer Murders, or any of the others that were mentioned above....forget things like Taggart, or ....Refus, (spelling)...my mind is going blank....there are so many, I have had to rent them because they are never on PBS. Does anyone know any other channels to watch in USA, where they may show any of these shows?

by Anonymousreply 147August 17, 2013 12:40 PM

r27 Hickson is not only the best, there is no one else to fill her shoes. McEwan isn't fit to carry her knitting bag. r46. Hickson is nowhere near a bore, Zoe Wanamaker is sua scenery chewer, that she's impossible to watch. r31 Wimsey is by no means chopped liver. Ian Carmichael was great in that role, I'm still trying to figure out who Edward Petherbridge was supposed to be? He was not good. Hetty Wainthropp was a hoot, especially when she "slipped into" Hyacinth every so often. It's a shame Jeremty Brett didn't do more of the Holmes, I believe he completed half of them? The definitive Sherlock. Enjoyed Brother Cadfael, not great art, but always like to see Sir Derek. r104 and r105 Great minds think alike. Pam Ferris's series son certainly was a hottie, especially when he was in uniform. r141 Come over for tea and BIKKIES anytime. Anyone ever catch the "Charters & Caldicott" series? Two NEAR-queens having fun being amateur sleuths. Their characters have a very interesting origin, as young men they appeared in Hitchcock's "The Lady Vanishes" They were the 2 men who were angry they would miss a cricket match. David Suchet did them all, HOORAY! He must be burnt out. i DO prefer Finney's "Murder on the Orient Express" though. Suchet's is far too dark and brooding. And there was no Wendy Hiller!

by Anonymousreply 148August 17, 2013 2:15 PM

Can anyone recommend programs similar to Tommy and Tuppence? I like that 1920's ish vibe with idle wealthy beautiful people who get into sleuthing, with that jazzy score and those old fashions.

by Anonymousreply 149August 17, 2013 2:40 PM

It's not a mystery but The House of Eliot takes place in the 20s.

I hear the David Tennant series, Broadchurch, is good.

by Anonymousreply 150August 17, 2013 6:00 PM

[quote]Tonight has a new series, Vera starring Brenda Blethyn and tomorrow night...

Series 1 & 2 on Hulu now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151August 17, 2013 6:26 PM

Vera is ok but a little depressing. Not Scandinavian level depressing, but it's clear she has major issues she will never conquer.

I like the ones with Inspector Jane Tennyson. Those are good.

by Anonymousreply 152August 17, 2013 8:57 PM

I'm enjoying Broadchurch, though it is strongly inspired by the superior Forbrydelsen. Any other modern "gritty" mystery shows from Britain worth mentioning? I started Wire in the Blood, but never got past the first episode.

by Anonymousreply 153August 17, 2013 9:05 PM

Foyle's War

by Anonymousreply 154August 17, 2013 9:06 PM

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread and not strictly a mystery like others mentioned, but does anyone remember COLLISION?

IIRC it was shown in one 2 hour presentation and told the story of a highway car crash and brilliantly interwove together all of the victims' stories.

by Anonymousreply 155August 17, 2013 9:09 PM

Foyle's War and Hickson's Marples are the pinnacle of this genre.

by Anonymousreply 156August 17, 2013 9:10 PM

Endeavour is terrific. Great setting (Oxford and surrounding area), great period (1960s), great actors, esp. the adorable main character, played by the Liverpool-born Shaun Evans. Looking forward to Season Two!

by Anonymousreply 157August 17, 2013 11:27 PM

The Jane Tennyson ones are called, "Prime Suspect" with Helen Mirren as Jane Tennyson

by Anonymousreply 158August 17, 2013 11:31 PM

"It's a shame Jeremty Brett didn't do more of the Holmes, I believe he completed half of them?"

Playing Holmes practically drove him insane...

by Anonymousreply 159August 17, 2013 11:53 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 160August 17, 2013 11:55 PM

Wire in the Blood, Luther and Prime Suspect.

by Anonymousreply 161August 17, 2013 11:57 PM

George Gently is beloved by critics, but they drag for me.

by Anonymousreply 162August 18, 2013 12:05 AM

The '80s version of "Nemesis".

Miss Marple AND a lesbian murderess!

by Anonymousreply 163August 18, 2013 12:08 AM

Joan Hicksom was a utter bore as Marple. I don't understand why her rabid fans screech about the new versions. The Hickson Marples are eternally available on DVD, so what's the problem? Watch your Hickson DVDs all you want, and let the rest of us enjoy a more interesting actress (both McEwen and McKenzie) in the role.

by Anonymousreply 164August 18, 2013 12:14 AM

Love almost all the shows mentioned. Personally, liked McEwan as Marple the best, but Hickson was good too. Personal taste, I guess. Mrs. Bradley, good, and I have always loved La Rigg. Check out her driver (Neil Dudgeon) as the new Barnaby in Midsommer Murders.

by Anonymousreply 165August 18, 2013 12:55 AM

Hickson was best.

by Anonymousreply 166August 18, 2013 4:53 AM

Thanks to this thread, I've watched a couple Jonathan Creek mysteries on YouTube. They are cleverly written. I don't quite understand how they came to be posted on YouTube (and no commercials) but they are definitely worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 167August 18, 2013 2:32 PM

Johnathan Creek baffled me as to why they hooked him up with that ugly, old woman. I saw a few episodes and could not get past that.

by Anonymousreply 168August 18, 2013 3:14 PM

Which ugly old woman, r168? I'm watching random episodes and he always has a different partner.

by Anonymousreply 169August 18, 2013 3:21 PM

I don't know R169 but the first few shows I saw had an older, fat lady with a short, sensible haircut (looked like a dyke to be quite honest) he was obviously supposed to be hooked up with.

by Anonymousreply 170August 18, 2013 3:28 PM

Caroline Quentin. I looked her up, she's roughly his age. He reminds me of one of the guys on Top Gear.

by Anonymousreply 171August 18, 2013 3:52 PM

[quote] Apart from Lewis they're a bit old but I don't get the pretty settings and costumes comment. It's just England and English people - all fairly ordinary and mundane,

You've obviously never seen Rosemary and Thyme, which is mentioned in the post you quoted, R22. The settings are not ordinary and mundane -- they are lovely gardens and communities in the UK, Spain, Italy and France. Not all of us consider moorish gardens in Alcazaba to be ho-hum or find Kew Gardens to be a bore.

by Anonymousreply 172August 18, 2013 4:07 PM

I swear they only made one episode of Pie in the Sky and endlessly show it.

by Anonymousreply 173August 18, 2013 4:08 PM

The Jackson Brodie mysteries are badly translated for t.v. They should have gone with someone hotter than Jason Isaacs.

by Anonymousreply 174August 18, 2013 6:37 PM

Good grief R174 I think Jason Isaacs is hot enough.

by Anonymousreply 175August 18, 2013 6:42 PM

Is anyone watching the new season of Whitechapel? What do you think? I like it!

by Anonymousreply 176September 19, 2013 8:59 PM

I like the actor who plays George Gently, but the scripts bored me. My favorites are Foyle's War and Inspector Morse.

by Anonymousreply 177September 19, 2013 9:04 PM

I'm LOVING Broadchurch, my first time watching a British mystery series. I love how they take time to build character. Not every single scene has to have some huge reveal like in the US.

by Anonymousreply 178September 19, 2013 9:11 PM

Broadchurch is great, ITV have a winner there and a second series is being made. ITV have made a wonderful short promotion of their current shows plus some old favourites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179September 19, 2013 10:52 PM

Joan Hickson was the definitive Miss Marple for me. The new versions toyed with the plots too much.

I did like Poirot. Also like Midsomer Murders.

Sherlock is amazing. I haven't seen Broadchurch, but I've heard lots of good things.

by Anonymousreply 180September 19, 2013 11:12 PM

I came to love "Vera". Sorry there weren't more of them to watch.

by Anonymousreply 181September 20, 2013 11:16 AM

Anoter vote for BROADCHURCH. A new season of WHITECHAPEL is on??

by Anonymousreply 182September 20, 2013 12:08 PM

I'm enjoying BROADCHURCH but really feel it could have been more effectively done in half as many episodes. It's dragging on a wee bit too long.

Maybe because I'm only watching an episode a week (though that's the way it was intended), but I'm forgetting plot strands from earlier episodes.

by Anonymousreply 183September 20, 2013 12:45 PM

Speaking of Whitechapel.. does Kent have a crush on his boss? I'm suspecting he's gay. He seems smitten, and he threw away that girl's phone number too, like he wasn't interested. Hmm..

by Anonymousreply 184September 22, 2013 1:25 PM

I loved Endeavour. Thought it was very well done indeed. Glad they are making another season. I prefer prefer Shaun Evans as Morse to John Thaw.

by Anonymousreply 185September 22, 2013 2:24 PM

Two more recent Brit TV mysteries to note: 'Southcliffe' and 'What Remains.'

If I see two new TV dramas a year which are unmissable I feel lucky, and these two have fitted the bill.

Downbeat, perfectly cast and cinematically filmed, they make the UK seem grim, but the authenticity is compelling.

If DLers ever catch them, there should be some lively threads. I'll watch them again on DVD in a heartbeat. Recommended!

by Anonymousreply 186September 22, 2013 2:42 PM

R148, I'm the other way round - thought Edward Petherbridge's damaged version of Peter Wimsey was perfect, loved Richard Morant as Bunter too. For my money Ian Carmichael's Wimsey was a bit too easy going and convivial, plus there's the way he looks - nothing wrong with the poor guy, but they could at least have blonded him up a bit.

by Anonymousreply 187September 22, 2013 3:33 PM

But seriously.. did any of you watch Whitechapel this season? How many times are they going to hint at Kent's sexuality without actually coming out and saying that he's gay? I feel like they might actually go there next season, that's if they are doing another season. It's not like this season was very good, but I still enjoyed it. The homoeroticism was off the charts.

by Anonymousreply 188October 26, 2013 6:12 PM

r187 Having read all(hopefully) the Wimsey books, I can say that Carmichael's interpretation was true to Sayers's writing. He IS a bit of a fop, and jolly-fellow-well-met sometimes. He has his serious moments, but you are always aware of WHO he is, and the background from which he springs. Petherbridge's take was far darker, Wimsey never would have brooded the way he did. Chacun a son gout! I'd love to know what other actors were considered for those remakes?

by Anonymousreply 189October 26, 2013 6:40 PM

I've started watching Campion via my library's Hoopla download service. He pings for me big time, whereas Davison as The Last Detective didn't.

Not a fan of Nettles as a sex object in Midsomer, though I did find him so as Bergerac. His sidekick Jones is cute.

Surprised no one's mention Thaw's series: Kavanaugh QC? He was miscast as Peter Mayle in the Provence series.

Jeffrey, Hetty Wainthrop's sidekick, was h-o-t.

by Anonymousreply 190August 14, 2014 3:09 AM

No one has mentioned two new British TV mysteries: "Death in Paradise" and a new version of G.K. Chesterton's "Father Brown."

by Anonymousreply 191October 13, 2014 8:38 PM

Father Brown blows. DIP is tolerable, but no more.

by Anonymousreply 192October 13, 2014 9:46 PM

Do British aristocrats really involve themselves in police work?

Even just upper crust sorts without titles?

In the US, the rich rarely become cops.

by Anonymousreply 193October 18, 2014 6:21 PM

I like Death in Paradise but it's hardly new.

by Anonymousreply 194October 18, 2014 7:18 PM

It bothers me that DIP has so little local color considering that the whole show is supposed to be about colorful Caribbean societies.

by Anonymousreply 195October 18, 2014 7:24 PM

Midsomer Murders starring hot daddy John Nettles

Which once again brings up the question why do sexy British men marry ugly women? I realize Midsomer Murders is only a show, but there's hot John Nettles with a doofy looking, buck toothed wife.

by Anonymousreply 196October 18, 2014 7:46 PM

And what's up with Rosemary and Thyme? Every time these two lady landscapers show up, there's a murder. Can't someone connect the dots or is the entire British population suffering from Mad Cow Disease?

by Anonymousreply 197October 18, 2014 7:50 PM

What do you mean, lack of colour R195? All the main characters are black other than the Inspector, or whatever his title is. It's true that a lot of the individual cases involve white murderers or victims though.

by Anonymousreply 198October 18, 2014 8:14 PM

I think r195 meant color in terms of the locale.

by Anonymousreply 199October 18, 2014 9:23 PM

I don't think Nettles is considered so "hot looking" that Joyce stands out as a mismatch.

I've watched the first couple of episodes of "A Touch of Frost" and not sure what I think of the series, but hey ... they're free library downloads via Hoopla!

by Anonymousreply 200October 18, 2014 11:51 PM

r197: It's been deleted from Youtube, but if you ever bump into a DVD or stream, be sure to watch the French and Saunders' parody of R&T called "Sausage and Mash."

by Anonymousreply 201October 19, 2014 3:38 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202November 12, 2014 6:02 PM

I watch a lot of these shows with my old mom when e are visiting and she always asks "why are all these good looking British men paired up with dogs as wives or girlfriends?" I love her.

by Anonymousreply 203November 12, 2014 6:18 PM

I love Brit mysteries and I'm a longtime fan of Mystery. It was always the best thing about Sunday night.

I'm currently bingeing on some new/old Morse shows that have been added to Netflix.

Nettles' on-screen wife is as attractive as he is. Eye of the beholder and all that.

by Anonymousreply 204November 12, 2014 6:33 PM

[quote]It bothers me that DIP has so little local color considering that the whole show is supposed to be about colorful Caribbean societies.

We get a lot of T&A and full-body tight clothing shots of the unlikeable female Caribbean detective. I guess that's what passes for "colorful" in the producers' eyes.

Father Brown was very uneven. It was interesting and Agatha Christie-like at times but mundane at others. It's no longer being aired locally.

The only English detective show I'm enjoying currently is DCI Banks. Peter Robinson is a very talented English mystery writer, and after getting over seeing Father Peter Clifford as a detective, Stephen Tomkinson is quite good as Alan Banks.

by Anonymousreply 205November 23, 2014 1:50 AM

It seems that most of you on this thread are talking about frau PBS/BBC/ITV mysteries. Nothing wrong with that. They can be wonderful "comfort food" tv. Personally, I'm REALLY looking forward to the return of THE FALL on Netflix. I love that this show kind of turns things on their head. They cast Jamie Dornan - who looks almost preternaturally beautiful on screen - as the serial killer and made him a loving and doting father. They almost dare you not to fall in love with a serial killer and then they turn the detective, Gillian Anderson, into an icy, demanding and uncompromising woman and dare you not to, well, dislike her. Great stuff.

by Anonymousreply 206November 23, 2014 11:41 AM

Those aren't "frau" mysteries, moron at R206.

I agree with you about The Fall, except that I didn't dislike Gillian Anderson's character. She goes after what she wants sexually and she's not interested in relationship stuff, but that doesn't make her unlikeable. She's very single-minded and that's why she's good at her job.

by Anonymousreply 207November 23, 2014 5:09 PM

How old is David Suchet? I fear what's going to happen to the Hercule Poirot franchise when Mr. Suchet kicks the bucket.

by Anonymousreply 208November 26, 2014 5:01 PM

It's actually over R208.

The final story was filmed last year, "Curtain".

I won't give away the ending but the character and David Suchet are done.

Seeing the final episode was bitter sweet. At least there are DVDs to watch.

by Anonymousreply 209November 26, 2014 5:04 PM

Warren Clarke died? He was every mystery series guest star as the older working class schlub who waited on the wealthy. He was also Dim in a Clockwork Orange and young Winston Churchill

by Anonymousreply 210November 26, 2014 5:19 PM

R207 - I didn't find a unlikable either, but I think the creators purposefully didn't make her overly likable either. She's a steely, uncompromising woman who knows what she wants and isn't afraid to go after it. I don't know that she has the audience in her pocket rooting for her and I think that makes her a more interesting character than the usual detective. What I really hope is that in the second season they don't start to make her feel guilty for being sexually liberated. That would be a huge disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 211November 26, 2014 9:30 PM

I like The Game, it's a spy thriller.

by Anonymousreply 212November 26, 2014 9:42 PM

Have any of you tried Grantchester? Easy viewing and a gay curate in it.

by Anonymousreply 213November 26, 2014 9:48 PM

R213 I've only seen the first episode, I haven't had time to watch the rest. It certainly has potential though. And it doesn't hurt that the main character is hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214November 26, 2014 10:02 PM

R213 and R214 - Woof! He is the definition of dashing. What a looker. Is he any good? I mean, as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 215November 26, 2014 10:18 PM

R215, I enjoyed the show and Norton is certainly up to the role. It does actually give a little food for thought in a couple of episodes too. Definitely worth a go. It was just renewed for its second series today too.

by Anonymousreply 216November 26, 2014 10:22 PM

Just started The Missing - a Starz and BBC coproduction - and it's so fucking good. It's rightly being compared to True Detective.

by Anonymousreply 217November 26, 2014 10:35 PM

Ooh. Thanks for the reminder on The Missing, R217! Have a couple eps sitting on my DVR. Is it a one-time mini-series?

by Anonymousreply 218November 26, 2014 10:39 PM

Yes, it's a limited series.

by Anonymousreply 219November 26, 2014 10:57 PM

R217 is that the one with James Nesbitt?

by Anonymousreply 220November 26, 2014 10:58 PM

Is anyone watching 'The Missing'? It's so good.

A really under-rated one is 'May Day' and also 'Southcliffe' (although the latter is a bit depressing at times.

by Anonymousreply 221November 26, 2014 11:04 PM

Yes, James Nesbitt. I've watched the first three episodes on Starz. It is very good and I can see why it's compared to True Detective.

by Anonymousreply 222November 26, 2014 11:10 PM

I wonder if Helen Mirren could be convinced to do another Prime Suspect. The last two weren't as good as the original earlier series, but if they got the right writer it could be seriously good event tv.

by Anonymousreply 223November 26, 2014 11:39 PM

I recently saw the first episode of Vera, which was quite something! Her assistant should appeal to most DL viewers with his good looks.

by Anonymousreply 224November 28, 2014 3:03 AM

I'm enjoying the missing much more than "True Detective".

Crossing my fingers it has a decent ending.

by Anonymousreply 225November 30, 2014 11:31 PM

[quote]Yes, James Nesbitt. I've watched the first three episodes on Starz. It is very good and I can see why it's compared to True Detective.

I've been enjoying 'The Missing' thus far as well, but who's comparing it to 'True Detective'? So far, it's a well done, but very conventional British mystery limited series. No way this is anywhere near 'True Detective's level.

by Anonymousreply 226November 30, 2014 11:54 PM

Saw the first episode of Broadchurch this evening -- the guys are hot, but the woman cop is D-U-L-L!

by Anonymousreply 227December 10, 2014 5:53 AM

You watch mystery shows for the hot actors? Why don't you stick with CSI and NCIS stuff, frau?

by Anonymousreply 228December 10, 2014 8:47 PM

I didn't find the plot itself all that great; I mentioned the hot guys more as a redeeming factor than a reason to watch the show in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 229December 10, 2014 9:29 PM

So far I'm really enjoying Case Histories starring Jason Isaacs.

by Anonymousreply 230December 10, 2014 9:44 PM

Probably owing to the sadistic treatment of the star in that show R230.

by Anonymousreply 231December 10, 2014 10:08 PM

I didn't see anything that looked like sadistic treatment, R231. He got beaten up, but fucking Rockford got beaten up every week.

by Anonymousreply 232December 10, 2014 10:10 PM

Women love that shit R232, sexually speaking. It's a fetish. And it happens to Jason Isaacs all the time in these.

by Anonymousreply 233December 10, 2014 11:13 PM

Are the Brodie mysteries with Jason Isaacs back for another season on US TV?

Was there a second one after Case Histories? I loved that!

by Anonymousreply 234December 11, 2014 1:29 AM

Men love that sadistic shit, R233. That's why when you watch ultimate fighting and other kick your opponent in the face matches, most of the audience is male.

by Anonymousreply 235December 11, 2014 1:29 AM

I watched Case Histories Series 1 last night on one of the PBS auxiliary channels. Series 2 apparently was shown on BBC in 2013 but it's on Amazon Prime and the DVDs are being sold by PBS.

I'm hoping it's one of those times when they bring back the first season to lead into the second.

by Anonymousreply 236December 11, 2014 1:47 AM

I love everything and all things British. They can really spin a tale..no matter how convoluted and tricky one is always surprised by the outcome. How unfortunate that cable channel BBC-A is a huge joke, nothing but Hollywood movies, some car show that is on all day and Kitchen Nightmares which are all scripted. I wish we were able to get the real BBC.

by Anonymousreply 237December 11, 2014 1:53 AM

I have to admit, The Missing is getting quite interesting. It's not groundbreaking, but it's very well done.

by Anonymousreply 238December 11, 2014 2:08 AM

Thanks to a DL poster who said Netflix was going to stream Broadchurch beginning 12/12, I went looking for it last night. (Netflix is not featuring it and I had to use the search function.)

Excellent show. It really works that Tennant looks downright tubercular. His counterpart Olivia Colman is excellent. There were no clinkers in the cast, and the writing was very good.

by Anonymousreply 239December 14, 2014 2:27 AM

Did you see the original British version of Broadchurch r239?

If so, how do they compare?

by Anonymousreply 240December 14, 2014 3:18 AM

R240, I saw the 2013 British TV show. Are you talking about the Fox show called Gracepoint?

I've only seen a few episodes of Gracepoint but I didn't think it was as good, mostly because the supporting cast doesn't measure up (something at which the Brit mysteries always seem to excel). Anna Gunn isn't much of an actor and she doesn't play as well off Tennant as Olivia Colman did, so that was one major sour note.

The episodes I saw, it felt like the writers were told they had to write for people like Gunn and Nolte so there were weak points.

I'll eventually watch the entire series.

by Anonymousreply 241December 14, 2014 4:40 AM

Yes, I was.

So it sounds like the American remake was unnecessary. No surprise. Didn't realize the title had been changed.

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 242December 14, 2014 12:21 PM

Shroud for a Nightingale.

by Anonymousreply 243December 17, 2014 5:19 AM

I'm really enjoying The Missing.

I loved Broadchurch, but I just couldn't get into Gracepoint. It was interesting, though, seeing David Tennant playing the same character, now as an American.

by Anonymousreply 244December 17, 2014 8:19 AM

Okay, I was the one offering some cautious praise of The Missing, but after this week's ep, I have to say it's really getting VERY good. Without offering any spoilers, I love what they did with the Ian Garrett's wife on the "boat".

If you're a fan of Broadchurch, The Killing, The Fall - this is your type of British mystery show. Smart, atmospheric, and just the right blend of slow-burn and thrilling action.

by Anonymousreply 245December 17, 2014 8:34 AM

I love Inspector Lyndley. Nathaniel Parker is so suave and handsome.

by Anonymousreply 246December 17, 2014 10:40 AM

Just started watching Broadchurch and if it weren't the work week, I'd be binging.

by Anonymousreply 247December 17, 2014 11:03 AM

Happy Valley is wonderful. Highly recommend.

I also enjoyed Thorne, produced by and starring David Morrissey, based on a series of books by Mark Billingham. The first two books were Sleepyhead (which was excellent) and Scaredy Cat (which, although it was not quite as good, was better than most crime thrillers).

Morrissey said that eventually they plan to film all of the books in the series.

by Anonymousreply 248December 24, 2014 6:24 AM

[quote]I wonder if Helen Mirren could be convinced to do another Prime Suspect. The last two weren't as good as the original earlier series, but if they got the right writer it could be seriously good event tv.

Really? I thought PS7 was great. Mirren gave a better performance in that show than in The Queen.

by Anonymousreply 249December 24, 2014 6:47 AM

R249 - I'm the one who made that comment about Prime Suspect. I stand by it. Mirren remained riveting, but the writing was nowhere as strong as the earlier seasons. And that whole Bosnian sub-plot from one of the final seasons was ridiculous.

So, 'The Missing' keeps getting better and better. I really underestimated this limited series when it debuted.

by Anonymousreply 250December 24, 2014 10:34 AM

I'm in the middle of binge watching HAPPY VALLEY. Is it me or does each episode flies so fast - it's incredibly well written and paced.

Can't wait for all the assholes to get theirs (please, tell me that they do).

The lady playing the sergeant is strangely hot (though everyone, especially her, is made up to look ordinary).

by Anonymousreply 251December 27, 2014 9:10 AM

The Avenger's.

by Anonymousreply 252December 27, 2014 9:32 AM

R251, she's also in Last Tango In Halifax, where she plays a lesbian school principal. I've seen her in many other BBC shows. She's very good.

by Anonymousreply 253December 27, 2014 1:48 PM

^^That didn't come out right. She's a lesbian who is a school principal; I don't think her students are necessarily lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 254December 27, 2014 1:49 PM

Just watched Happy Valley and some interviews with the cast. What do we know about James Norton? He pings but I can never be sure with Englishmen.

by Anonymousreply 255December 29, 2014 7:45 AM

I was intrigued by The Escape Artist. Here's hoping more of the series is aired on PBS and it makes its way to Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 256December 29, 2014 9:26 AM

Why was Maggie Gyllenhaal cast in The Honourable Woman? I just started watching the show, so there may be a reason for the lead to be played by an American. Surely, there are plenty of British actresses her age who could have played her part.

She is an unpleasant person to work with, so I hear.

by Anonymousreply 257January 6, 2015 6:20 PM

According to DL, all actresses are reprehensible to work with. I've learned to take such gossip with a mountain of salt.

Gyllenhaal's casting in The Honorable Woman was interesting, given that most casting goes in the opposite direction.

She was excellent and she more than acquitted herself. I had never seen her act before, and after reading years of scathing condemnations of her on DL, I was pleasantly surprised.

by Anonymousreply 258January 6, 2015 6:32 PM

[quote]According to DL, all actresses are reprehensible to work with. I've learned to take such gossip with a mountain of salt.

I happen to know this first hand, as told to me by a film director. There is a reason she never became a big name, though she certainly thinks she above the rest.

by Anonymousreply 259January 6, 2015 6:40 PM

*she is

by Anonymousreply 260January 6, 2015 6:43 PM

There's always some film director or key grip or parking lot attendant or janitor behind these stories, R259. I always assume there was a personality conflict of some sort.

by Anonymousreply 261January 6, 2015 6:44 PM

How was the first episode of season two of Broadchurch?

by Anonymousreply 262January 6, 2015 6:44 PM

[quote]There's always some film director or key grip or parking lot attendant or janitor behind these stories, [R259]. I always assume there was a personality conflict of some sort.

Fair enough. But some people do get mentioned more frequently than others. Where there is smoke there is fire.

by Anonymousreply 263January 6, 2015 6:50 PM

My problem with it, R263? Those rumors are always about women, when you and I both know there is a much higher ratio of male assholes to female. Is it because they find aggressive or bad behavior acceptable from men?

by Anonymousreply 264January 6, 2015 6:57 PM

It's amazing how these British actors can thrive as regulars in so many TV series at once.

The blonde actress from Happy Valley and Last Tango was also in that awful series about the Victorian department store....not the one with Jeremy Piven. The other one.

Sorry, can't remember the show's name or the ubiquitous actress' name..

by Anonymousreply 265January 6, 2015 6:58 PM

Sarah Lancashire, R265.

by Anonymousreply 266January 6, 2015 7:42 PM

Got all the Lovejoys on DVD. That was a great show. Sherlock is fantastic. Also Foyles war. I find Foyle really, ridiculously attractive, even though I don't go for older men much.

by Anonymousreply 267January 6, 2015 7:52 PM

A&E was fantastic years ago, it was one of the first cable channels to show BBC TV series and IIRC, A&E also repeated many of PBS' Masterpiece Theater series.

What the hell happened to BBC America, when it first came on the air BBCA had so many wonderful entertaining shows, now it's endless "Star Trek" repeats and that horrid car show?

I really enjoyed all their cop and mystery shows as well as "Changing Rooms" and their real estate show was fun.

by Anonymousreply 268January 6, 2015 8:22 PM

I just can't see the Dataloungers finding Tenant hot in Broadchurch.

by Anonymousreply 269January 6, 2015 8:34 PM

I love all of them. One British mystery series, but not quite the same as what's been discussed is a wonderful series, Jonathan Creek, available on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 270January 6, 2015 9:12 PM

Inspector Lynley - SWOOM

by Anonymousreply 271January 6, 2015 9:13 PM

HAH! Picked up the wrong pair of glasses. SWOON.

Also loved MI V, Midsomer Murders, Poirot, Miss Marple, Inspector Morse, Lewis, Wallander, Benchley Park, all of them.

by Anonymousreply 272January 6, 2015 9:16 PM

I find Brannaugh wayhawt as Wallander! The episodes themselves are a bit bleak though; Swedish houses look so damned sterile!

by Anonymousreply 273January 6, 2015 9:19 PM

[R273] I agree, very bleak. There's a more upbeat Swedish mystery series called Annika Bengtson.

Someone mentioned Lovejoy - I have the whole series.

by Anonymousreply 274January 6, 2015 9:24 PM

Look for the Australian series Mr and Mrs Murder -- exhausting to watch it all at once, but fairly clever. Don't know I want to see Midsomer after the episodes where Nettles retires, although the doc is wayhawt (and pings a bit); Jones is cute.

by Anonymousreply 275January 6, 2015 9:29 PM

GRANTCHESTER!

Coming to PBS very soon.

by Anonymousreply 276January 7, 2015 3:12 AM

I also like hunky Robson Green and am now watching his series Wire in the Blood.

Loved him in Reckless with Francesca Annis and have been a fan ever since.

by Anonymousreply 277January 7, 2015 3:25 AM

Robson Green is in Grantchester.

by Anonymousreply 278January 7, 2015 3:36 AM

Prime Suspect, Midsomer Murders, the old series based on Agatha Christie characters.

Zen with Rufus Sewell and Wallender with Branagh. Although he's so moody and nasty to the other cops (and incapable of using a computer), I keep expecting one of them to bash him with his own cell phone.

by Anonymousreply 279January 7, 2015 3:42 AM

Two favorites - Prime Suspect and Inspector Morse.

by Anonymousreply 280January 7, 2015 3:43 AM

I love Robson Green and Wire In The Blood. He's a tiny little thing; really surprised me when I finally noticed.

Inspector Lynley is great, but I despised that thing he married. The series was better before she came along and after she got killed off.

The original Swedish Wallander wasn't nearly as bleak as Branagh's version.

by Anonymousreply 281January 7, 2015 3:51 AM

Robson Green was nude in one of those episodes. I don't think he showed dick, but what he did show was fine.

by Anonymousreply 282January 7, 2015 4:12 AM

No love for VERA?

by Anonymousreply 283January 7, 2015 4:17 AM

A local PBS station had a Mystery Marathon on New Year's Eve and Day and I had a chance to see Endeavor (an episode I had actually seen about a murder in a factory) and, just as good, Vera (with the gorgeous David Leon as her assistant) and Miss Fisher Mysteries, which are situated in Australia. Also saw a few Midsomer Murders and the latest season of Sherlock with Cumberbitch and everyone's bitch Dr. Watson.

I loved Blethyn as Vera, caustic bitch who runs over people. Also enjoyed the Miss Fisher story (set in the 1920's, a flapper mystery solver).

Are there more McKenzie/Marples being filmed?

by Anonymousreply 284January 7, 2015 4:25 AM

We talked about Vera early in the thread. She's a great crusty old dame and I really like the actress who plays her.

by Anonymousreply 285January 7, 2015 4:26 AM

I realize David Leon causes many a mussy to moisten, but I'd feel my life complete for a night with Kenny on her squad. The poof who died in her arms was a nice touch, too.

by Anonymousreply 286January 7, 2015 4:31 AM

Best of British mysteries:

Prime Suspect

Cracker

Luther (first season)

Zen (not really that good, but worth it just for the sight of Sewell)

Poster upthread enquired about Season Two of Broadchurch. David Tenant's mumbling and his Scots burr are just about incomprehensible. Hope he enunciates in future or subtitles will definitely be required. The storyline is a tad shakey, contrived, as if they had to come up with something for a second season to top the first season.

by Anonymousreply 287January 7, 2015 4:46 AM

LUTHER was such a ridiculous, over-the-top show. Made DAMAGES look subtle.

If you have Netflix, check out HAPPY VALLEY, an engrossing new(ish) BBC mystery/drama set in the North. It's a grim British limited series that they seem to do so well these days. An illegitimate birth, a suicide and a botched kidnapping several years apart coincide to form a messy and complicated mystery. The lead actress, Sarah Lancashire (Last Tango in Halifax) is truly sensational. For fans of THE FALL, THE KILLING, THE MISSING.

by Anonymousreply 288January 13, 2015 4:31 AM

Shaun Evans of Endeavour is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 289January 14, 2015 4:17 AM

Vera is an okay character but the whiny tone of her voice is hard to take for an extended period. She should have a husky, smoker's voice.

by Anonymousreply 290January 14, 2015 4:42 AM

I liked the Hetty Wainthrop mysteries when Hyacinth transformed into a sleuth

by Anonymousreply 291January 14, 2015 1:45 PM

I love Endeavour. They get all the period details right. But the real attraction is Inspector Thursday's voice, so sexy.

by Anonymousreply 292January 14, 2015 1:57 PM

I like most of them. Strangely enough, I don't usually watch any American TV myseries. My faves from Britain are:

Midsomer Murders Dalziel and Pascoe A Touch of Frost Vera Poirot

by Anonymousreply 293January 14, 2015 2:01 PM

"What the hell happened to BBC America"

Like all cable channels, it now plays to the lowest common denominator, to appeal to the masses and please advertisers.

by Anonymousreply 294January 14, 2015 2:39 PM

R293

I'm going through the Frost series currently myself. Nice to see Frost put down Mullet's homophobia over the lesbian detective.

by Anonymousreply 295January 14, 2015 6:42 PM

R295 - The male character of Sgt Wield in "Dalziel and Pascoe" was gay too and Dalziel defended hime too. I like these rough coppers doing something out-of-the-ordinary to shake up our perceptions of them.

by Anonymousreply 296January 14, 2015 7:15 PM

Typo in my post above should read defended "him".

by Anonymousreply 297January 16, 2015 3:34 PM

I though Broadchurch was wildly overpraised. David Tennant's portrayal of The Anguished Detective was so overwrought it was downright silly at times. And that loud, sinister background music overpowered perfectly mundane scenes.

[quote] and she always asks "why are all these good looking British men paired up with dogs as wives or girlfriends?" I love her.

That was certainly true in Happy Valley. My god, the ex-husband! There is no way he would have been married to that quaterback. Sarah Lancashire's a good actress, but a quarterback. And I was pretty suspicious of the young, good-looking, perfect househusband who was married to the Olivia Colman character in Broadchurch. Maybe that's another reason why I found the show overpraised. Did nobody notice this odd couple when trying to solve a mystery?

American tv is the opposite -- Quasimodo-like male characters married to thin, gorgeous, movie-star pretty wives.

by Anonymousreply 298January 16, 2015 4:28 PM

I've recently been watching the new season of "Midsomer Murders". It has a tall, dark and bearded police detective who is played by a guy named Gwilym Lee. I know he's unmarried and lives with three other people in a house in London. Anyone have any dishy gossip on him?

by Anonymousreply 299January 16, 2015 5:08 PM

I thought Broadchurch ' casting aimed at straight women and gay men myself.

by Anonymousreply 300January 17, 2015 12:04 AM

I don't have a problem with Broadchurch's casting.

First of all, I don't think everyone worldwide chooses a spouse based on looks.

Second, the series takes place in a small town. In small towns, couples often pair off when they're still in high school, then they get married and have families. Looks change over the course of years, but when you've been with someone for a long time, that doesn't matter much, if at all.

I enjoy BBC dramas because they aren't that superficial.

The other point is that they would have lost the best actor among the cast (Olivia Colman) if they had gone for the typical US casting scenario.

Anna Gunn in the unnecessary and not very good US remake is proof of that.

by Anonymousreply 301January 17, 2015 10:00 PM

These are some of my current faves that some of you might like that evoke that feel of the classic British mystery.

UK: The Bletchley Circle - set in 1952–53, about four women who used to work as codebreakers at Bletchley Park during WW2. After the war, they go back to their humdrum middle class lives where they are under the threat of the Official Secrets Act so they cannot tell anyone what they did during the war. Dissatisfied with official failure to investigate complex crimes, the women join together to investigate and solve crimes for themselves using those skills they learned at Bletchley to break the German code.

Australia: Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - Phryne Fisher is a glamorous private detective (and sexually liberated British aristocrat) in 1920s Melbourne. If you like Tommy & Tuppence, you'll love this. She drives an Hispano Suiza...nuff said.

The Dr. Blake Mysteries - Set in the 1950s in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia, Doctor Lucien Blake takes over his late father's general medical practice after an absence of 30 years; he also serves as the local police surgeon (coroner). Doctor Blake is a keeper of secrets and a solver of mysteries and is a complex man hounded by his WW2 past.

Espana: Finally, if you aren't bothered by subtitles, watch The Time In Between (El Tiempo Entre Costuras). It's an 11 episode spy mystery set in Spain of the 30s-40's. Gorgeous sets and beautifully filmed. Its about a young and beautiful seamstress named Sira who uses her sewing talents as a cover for espionage during the rise of dictator Francisco Franco, the Spanish Civil War and the beginning of WW2. Sira is intelligent, gutsy and resourceful, whose ability to construct stunning garments and copy the latest Chanel or Schiaparelli lands her the posh job of couturier to the Nazi wives stationed in Madrid -- the perfect gig if you want to gather information and smuggle coded messages to the British inside the seams of dresses. Worth it just to hear the Nazi wives and British aristos speaking their accented Spanish.

by Anonymousreply 302January 17, 2015 11:08 PM

Great post, R302. I've enjoyed both Bletchley Circle and Miss Fisher. I'll check into the other two.

by Anonymousreply 303January 17, 2015 11:13 PM

Yes we get Foyle's War here in the USA. My local PBS station has run all the series and is gearing up for the latest installment. Am guessing it will start after Downton Abbey wraps up.

Currently PBS/Mystery in our area is showing reruns of Inspector Lewis.

by Anonymousreply 304January 17, 2015 11:17 PM

Last month, Sky1 aired Agatha Raisin & The Quiche of Death. Yes, it's based on the books by M.C. Beaton. Here's the PR blurb: Agatha Raisin, a public relations professional, gives up her life in London in the hope of starting a new life in the seemingly quiet village of Carsley, but soon finds herself a suspect in a murder case when she enters the village's annual quiche-making competition in an attempt to ingratiate herself with the community. The quiche has poison and kills a village serial cheater. She sets out to clear her name and solve the mystery of the quiche of death.

by Anonymousreply 305January 18, 2015 1:12 AM

Part 2 of The Fall is now on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 306January 18, 2015 1:35 AM

I've read most of the Agatha Raisin books. Here's hoping the awful gay character, Roy, doesn't appear.

by Anonymousreply 307January 18, 2015 2:05 AM

Has anyone watched the current show (just finished on Starz), The Missing? I don't have Starz and am in US. Is it worth paying money to see (on Amazon Instant)?

by Anonymousreply 308January 18, 2015 2:24 AM

I liked the first episode of Grantchester last night...pretty good, but mainly just liked it for the beautiful James Norton. He was so evil in Happy Valley--interesting seeing him as a vicar.

by Anonymousreply 309January 19, 2015 3:26 PM

[quote]Second, the series takes place in a small town. In small towns, couples often pair off when they're still in high school, then they get married and have families. Looks change over the course of years, but when you've been with someone for a long time, that doesn't matter much, if at all.

Agree. It is clear that the ex couple in Happy Valley got together when very young and would have stayed together had it not been for the loss of their daughter. Also, they are intellectual equals, unlike the ex husband and his new wife.

I got the sense that the special agent that Sarah Lancashire's character calls to help with kidnaping is someone she had a romantic involvement in the past. Did anyone else think that?

[quote]Sarah Lancashire's a good actress, but a quarterback.

There was something attractive about her character's ballsiness and stubbornness, though.

by Anonymousreply 310January 19, 2015 5:25 PM

Just saw the Broadchurch episode where Alec Hardy goes to Ellie's for dinner - talk about a lack of social skills on his part!

Are we supposed to find him "hot"? I think he is, but don't think most DL denizens would at all.

by Anonymousreply 311January 20, 2015 5:35 AM

From what I've read Broadchurch continues the same story in season 2. Sounds lame, to be honest. How much can they milk the same story?

by Anonymousreply 312January 20, 2015 5:38 AM

I've been watching The Fall. Not bad. Jamie Dornan is very good. Unfortunately Gillian Anderson still can 't act for shit.

by Anonymousreply 313January 20, 2015 5:38 AM

About the only likeable characters in the whole series would be Ellie's husband, and Danny's grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 314January 20, 2015 5:42 AM

I thought the exact opposite, R313.

by Anonymousreply 315January 20, 2015 5:43 AM

I do too, R315. Dornan isn't terrible or anything, but Anderson carries the show.

by Anonymousreply 316January 20, 2015 5:51 AM

You guys need to watch "An Honorable Woman"

So fucking amazing.

by Anonymousreply 317January 20, 2015 8:02 AM

[R309] Liked the cast. I've always loved Robson Green.

by Anonymousreply 318January 20, 2015 8:30 AM

I can recommend Suspects, which is a Channel 5 show. It's just a standard police procedural but the dialogue is improvised and so it's really naturalistic. The acting is great.

by Anonymousreply 319January 20, 2015 8:38 AM

Waking the Dead is great.

by Anonymousreply 320January 20, 2015 12:02 PM

R27, you miss the point of Midsomer. It's complete trash and that's why it's popular. I was addicted to Midsomer. Have seen every episode.

by Anonymousreply 321January 20, 2015 12:06 PM

I enjoyed Grantchester, too

by Anonymousreply 322January 20, 2015 2:08 PM

I'm bingeing on Whitechapel now. It's on Amazon Prime and so far it's okay. Good actors but the writing is kind of off.

by Anonymousreply 323January 24, 2015 7:32 PM

R323 - oh, that Rupert Penry-Jones, the detective on Whitechapel, is my cup of tea. I watched him in the TV show "Spooks" with Richard Armitage but my favorite role of his was in "Persuasion".

by Anonymousreply 324January 24, 2015 7:51 PM

I saw the dishy Rupert P-J years ago in a play along with Jacqueline Pearce (Blake's Seven).

by Anonymousreply 325January 24, 2015 8:44 PM

I've watched just about everything I can think of except Poirot and Miss Marple. I just can't get into it.

**sigh** Now I'm watching Doc Martin from season 1.

by Anonymousreply 326January 24, 2015 9:27 PM

I should say "rewatching".

by Anonymousreply 327January 24, 2015 9:30 PM

I started watching Broadchurch Season 2 on ITV site.

Why did the viewership drop so much from ep. 1? I actually find this season intriguing. The best scenes are between Tennant and Colman (she should get more screen time, she's amazing).

The mother of the killed kid is an amazing bitch. I hardly have any sympathy for her left. The father is just weirdly unpleasant.

Rampling is not that interesting. What is her connection to the newspaper woman?

by Anonymousreply 328January 24, 2015 9:40 PM

Both the kid's dad, and the psychic guy, are kinda cute ... in an offbeat way. Alec Hardy gets so worked up at times that an aneurism seems imminent.

by Anonymousreply 329January 24, 2015 9:43 PM

Hey, US fan here. So, what are the hot UK mystery shows currently (or recently - say in the past 6 mos) airing? Want to see what I can check out on ITV on demand, BBC iPlayer, Channel 4 On Demand etc. When I say "hot", I mean less POIROT or MIDSUMMER MYSTERIES and more THE FALL, BROADCHURCH, HAPPY VALLEY, THE MISSING. Dark, gritty, sharp writing, great performances, edge-of-your-seat-ness, just the right amount of "slow burn" etc. Cheers!

by Anonymousreply 330January 24, 2015 10:04 PM

R330

40D - Glue is good. Also Southcliffe.

by Anonymousreply 331January 24, 2015 10:37 PM

Thanks, R331. You're the third person to recommend Southcliffe. Looks like it's available on US Netflix now as well. Definitely checking it out. Speaking of US Netflix, in case anyone missed it, season 2 of THE FALL is now available (no spoilers, please).

by Anonymousreply 332January 25, 2015 5:13 AM

Be forewarned about The Fall. The Netflix version stops at a crucial point right before the end. I've notified them, but it wouldn't hurt if they heard it from others.

by Anonymousreply 333January 25, 2015 6:10 AM

Hinterland is very good. On Netflix now.

by Anonymousreply 334January 25, 2015 6:15 AM

Hinterland is great!

by Anonymousreply 335January 25, 2015 6:32 AM

I loved the first Bletchley Circle, but the second series was a bore. Brant heater isn't terrbly exciting, but James Norton sure is pretty.

by Anonymousreply 336January 25, 2015 7:09 AM

I'll third Hinterland. I'd forgotten all about it. In a similar vein is Shetland with Dougie Henshall.

by Anonymousreply 337January 25, 2015 7:37 AM

R304, I hope you're right. Love Foyle's War, although I'm not a fan of Downton Abbey.

R309, I don't remember seeing James Norton before, but I sure sat up and took notice of him in Grantchester. As the minister, he is wholesomely gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 338January 25, 2015 12:48 PM

Question for 330 or anyone with knowledge: US fan as well of all those shows - just finding out about Channel Four and ITV on demand - but how can you get it in the US when it asks for a postal code - and won't accept most/any US zip codes?

by Anonymousreply 339January 25, 2015 1:14 PM

You need to get UKiVPN. It tricks your BBC or ITV into thinking you're in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 340January 25, 2015 1:32 PM

I used think what a waste that they're only 6-8 episodes, and might come back for another season 2 years later. I've actually come to appreciate that, though. They don't burn out on ideas or storylines that way.

by Anonymousreply 341January 25, 2015 1:37 PM

You might like to look out for Fortitude, a Sky crime drama that's starting this week. With Michael Gambon, Christopher Eccleston, Sophie Grabol (The Killing) and Stanley Tucci.

A few Americans seem to be making their way over here of late. We've had Jon Hamm in a couple of things, Brit Marling in Babylon, Anthony LaPaglia in The Eichmann Show, and now Tucci.

by Anonymousreply 342January 25, 2015 1:50 PM

I love that little gay Poirot and his boycriend Hastings. David Suchet as Poirot is terrific. In that show, the costuming and set design is stellar. I have it on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 343January 25, 2015 1:55 PM

Yes, Foyle's War has been around for quite a while here.

by Anonymousreply 344January 25, 2015 4:21 PM

339 Try Primewire or Couchtuner.You can get the British shows. I watched Downton Abbey the same evening that it originally played in England.Agree with a previous poster on Bletchley Circle. The first season was great, the second not so much.

by Anonymousreply 345January 25, 2015 5:46 PM

by Anonymousreply 346January 26, 2015 2:12 AM

HAPPY VALLEY all the way!

What an incredibly intelligent and thrilling series. The Brits sure know how to do it right.

by Anonymousreply 347January 26, 2015 2:19 AM

R340 what is that?

by Anonymousreply 348January 26, 2015 3:15 AM

You don't all find that Robson Green is kinda slumming through Grantchester? He looks like he's in another show.

And we get it....EVERYONE smoked in the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 349January 26, 2015 3:26 AM

R349 can probably smell the smoke through the screen, a very sensitive snowflake.

by Anonymousreply 350January 26, 2015 3:49 AM

[quote]Question for 330 or anyone with knowledge: US fan as well of all those shows - just finding out about Channel Four and ITV on demand - but how can you get it in the US when it asks for a postal code - and won't accept most/any US zip codes?

Hey, R339, R330 here. It's easy as pie. Just download the "Hola" extension for Firefox or Chrome. It's a simple add-on to your browser that "tricks" the servers of the site you're visiting into thinking your internet connection is originating from their country. It works for geo-restricted online content from just about anywhere. As for the ones that require you to register - just look up a UK postal code and enter it in place of your US one. Duh! Hope you're pretty. ;)

Just finished HAPPY VALLEY. Minor spoilers ahead. Although eps 1-4 were superb, I have to say, I think things really fell apart in the final two eps when the mystery lost of all of its momentum. I also thought the very ending with Sarah Lancashire looking out over a green hillside of the valley while flashbacks to the major events from the series whizzed by in sepia tones and relentlessly cheery music loudly played, was incredibly sappy and sentimental and betrayed the otherwise gritty tone of most of the series. It smacked of some BBC programming exec insisting on a happy ending. Real shame, as the show started so promisingly.

by Anonymousreply 351January 26, 2015 8:08 AM

I really liked the episode where she finds the kidnapped girl. Which one was that? 4?

And I do like the cop being depressed during her recovery. I thought that was realistic, that she'd be angry and doubting her choices in life.

by Anonymousreply 352January 26, 2015 8:30 AM

[quote]And I do like the cop being depressed during her recovery. I thought that was realistic, that she'd be angry and doubting her choices in life.

I do as well, but they dragged it out incessantly. They seemed to have run out of ideas and momentum. The show would have been much better at 5 eps instead of 6.

by Anonymousreply 353January 26, 2015 10:51 AM

Anthony LaPaglia Is Austrailian, r342.

by Anonymousreply 354January 26, 2015 11:50 AM

Is Happy Valley coming back for a second season?

For the Brits here, is the show a huge hit in the UK? Is it appreciated there as much as in this thread?

Is Sarah Lancashire considered a big TV star in the UK? She and the great brunette actress from Last Tango in Halifax seem to be in every other Brit series now.....that could never happen in the US.

by Anonymousreply 355January 26, 2015 12:40 PM

R355 - Yes, the BBC has commissioned a second season (or, second SERIES, as they say over there) of HAPPY VALLEY. I wonder how on earth they'll find another storyline so interwoven with the lead's personal history.

And, yes, Brit actors do seem to have more flexibility to show off their versatility in a wide variety of roles. I mean, the main baddie from HAPPY VALLEY is now the vicar and amateur detective on GRANCHESTER, the new Masterpiece series. I think it has something to do with the relative brevity of most UK series and the fact that film/tv/theatre is all concentrated in one city there as opposed to the bicoastal split in the US.

by Anonymousreply 356January 26, 2015 12:47 PM

R355

Yes, there's a S2 for Happy Valley. It'll be shown late 2015.

We're inclined to have a small array of "comfortable" "familiar" TV drama actors at any one time and Lancashire appears to be one of the current favourites. It helps that Last Tango and Happy Valley have the same writer in Sally Wainwright. She also wrote Scott & Bailey.

by Anonymousreply 357January 26, 2015 12:51 PM

I found Scott and Bailey kind of silly. A real reach. Now the actress who plays the supervisor is the main writer, so I guess she'll be getting a bigger story line.

by Anonymousreply 358January 26, 2015 1:03 PM

The first Whitechapel series was a cheesy guilty pleasure, but the second and third seasons were not so good. They seemed to be trying to find something for Steve Pemberton to do, just so he could get a paycheck. He spent how many episodes setting up an unnecessary library in the police station?

Phil Davis shows what a great actor he is by keeping a straight face delivering his lines.

by Anonymousreply 359January 26, 2015 1:11 PM

You want silly, R358 ... try "Mr and Mrs Murder" from Australia!

by Anonymousreply 360January 26, 2015 6:26 PM

Having finished my Whitechapel binge, I agree with R359. Rupert Penry-Jones is the only thing that made it worthwhile for me, along with Phil Davis and the actors who played smaller roles.

Steve Pemberton's part should have ended with Series 1. I was not entertained by his character, and think of all the money they would have saved on eyeliner.

Series 3 seemed to leave the psychologist's part in the mystery dangling out there unfinished. It was obvious there was something more there. Instead of devoting so much time to watching PD babysit RP-J and SP's silliness, they should have closed the gaps in the story.

by Anonymousreply 361January 26, 2015 9:09 PM

Hola is down for me. Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 362January 30, 2015 7:45 PM

For those of you looking for a British postal code, just look up any hotel website in London and copy/paste it in.

Waldorf - WC2B 4DD

Brown's Hotel - W1S 4BP

The Savoy - WC2R 0EU

The Connaught - W1K 2AL

by Anonymousreply 363January 30, 2015 7:57 PM

Rupert Penry-Jones gets naked in Cambridge Spies

by Anonymousreply 364January 30, 2015 7:59 PM

Is Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries high on anyone's recommended list? Netflix is pushing it on me.

by Anonymousreply 365February 1, 2015 3:01 AM

I love Nicola Walker on Last Tango. What else is she in that's good?

by Anonymousreply 366February 1, 2015 3:03 AM

And what about Murder on the Homefront?

by Anonymousreply 367February 1, 2015 3:07 AM

R366

Nicola Walker was in Spooks for a long time. If you want to go way back, she was in Touching Evil.

by Anonymousreply 368February 1, 2015 7:46 AM

R365, I love Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. Essie Davis is delightful and has good chemistry with Nathan Page, who plays Detective Jack Robinson.

by Anonymousreply 369February 1, 2015 8:34 AM

I'm liking Grantchester a great deal, mostly because James Norton is so charming. (Also just caught Death Comes to Pemberly, in which he's also so charming.) But Robson Green, as someone above said, well, he's just been in too many shows--about 2000 at this point. He's acting as though he's just waiting to get the next sound stage for the next one. Too bad, because when he's good, he really is quite good.

Funny how English TV seems to work--it's as though there's a coterie of actors, writers, and directors who do these programs, and no one else can break in.

by Anonymousreply 370February 1, 2015 12:39 PM

R370

I think it's a bit like American film stars du jour. For a few years, you can't escape a few people. Then some others come up and they get forgotten. British TV is like that. Someone will be flavour of the month - hello, John Simm, I'm looking at you - and it feels as though they are in everybloodything. Robson Green's having an inexplicable renaissance. I thought we'd finally got rid of him to fishing documentary perdition after being ubiquitous but now he's back. I don't understand it.

by Anonymousreply 371February 1, 2015 1:17 PM

I think that the characters Norton and Green play on Grantchester aren't a satisfying match, but that's mostly due to Green's lack of empathy. He looks and behaves like he's wandered in from another show.

by Anonymousreply 372February 1, 2015 1:25 PM

I've never seen Robson Green in anything, so I have no preconceived image of him and no problem with his performance on Grantchester.

by Anonymousreply 373February 1, 2015 1:38 PM

I feel sorry for the actors who have to smoke so much.

by Anonymousreply 374February 1, 2015 2:05 PM

[quote]Is Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries high on anyone's recommended list? Netflix is pushing it on me.

I can tell you this. I watched the first series and I was delighted when they added the second series. It's a bit vapid but it's fun to watch.

Essie Davis is very good in this, and she's gorgeous. Her costumes alone are worth it.

Her co-star, Nathan Page (who looks like a young Joseph Cotten), is also gorgeous. There's a lot of very obvious heat between them but so far no sex.

People, houses, cars, locations – everything about this show is beautifully done.

by Anonymousreply 375February 1, 2015 4:38 PM

[quote]I think that the characters Norton and Green play on Grantchester aren't a satisfying match, but that's mostly due to Green's lack of empathy. He looks and behaves like he's wandered in from another show.

Norton's character Sidney forced their first investigation on Green's character Geordie. Geordie wanted no part of dealing with Sidney and disagreed it was a murder. He's still a little awkward hanging out with a priest but he gradually loosens up.

I enjoy them together. It's an interesting and amusing juxtaposition physically and in nearly every other way, and it works. Geordie has seen too much and Sidney is making him take a different look. When Sidney described his friends as having "entitled ease," Geordie's reaction was wonderful. He keeps being surprised by Sidney.

by Anonymousreply 376February 1, 2015 4:53 PM

'Foyle's War' Returns for a Final, Satisfying Season

The first of three final episodes features John Mahoney, best known as "Martin Crane" in Fraser.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377February 2, 2015 1:48 PM

What was the name of Foyle's hot assistant in the original series? The one with the bum leg?

I really miss him in these latest sequels.

by Anonymousreply 378February 2, 2015 7:45 PM

"There's a lot of very obvious heat between them but so far no sex."

No sex between them, but Miss Fisher certainly beds other men during the course of the show.

by Anonymousreply 379February 2, 2015 7:53 PM

Anthony Howell, r378 -- yes, what a cutie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380February 2, 2015 8:13 PM

Here's another link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381February 2, 2015 8:15 PM

Not a crime show, but is anyone watching Wolf Hall, based on Mantel's books? I like it a lot. It's very still in terms of how it's directed, but that doesn't mean that the pacing is slow. Mark Rylance does a great job.

by Anonymousreply 382February 2, 2015 8:35 PM

I LOVE the poncie vicar on Grantchester!

by Anonymousreply 383February 3, 2015 12:44 AM

R382

I'm watching Wolf Hall and am loving it. Rylance has the character as written just right. And I'm enjoying that they lifted the wittiest dialogue direct from the books. I think the BBC spent over £1m on each episode - a big spend for Auntie. Drama is usually £500-£750k an hour.

by Anonymousreply 384February 3, 2015 8:51 AM

Yesterday, I watched the first couple of episodes of PIE IN THE SKY. The hero's girth would cause a COMPLETE meltdown among the vicious anti-fattie brigade here; the show is quirky enough that I'm hooked. His prissy boss seems derivative of Mullet, Jack Frost's pain-in-the-ass superior. The wife could stand to be just a little less anal about money.

by Anonymousreply 385February 10, 2015 6:26 PM

Anyone watching FORTITUDE on Sky Atlantic (UK) or Pivot (US)? It's like a hybrid of the best British and Scandinavian psychological thrillers of the past decade. Big, starry, international cast - Stanley Tucci, Michael Gambon, the chick who played the detective in the original THE KILLING, one of the old Dr. Who's, the gorgeous kid who triumphed in the West End production of CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT TIME. Written by the same fella who wrote LOW WINTER SUN. Sprawling mystery set in a remote arctic village. Murder, mystery, secrets, eery atmosphere. Damn good stuff. First ep is streaming for free on YouTube. At least in the US. Trailer below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386February 28, 2015 9:58 AM

And r385, she's not at all into food.

by Anonymousreply 387February 28, 2015 10:22 AM

R386

I'm watching. It's high quality TV for sure. But I'm not quite as enthusiastic as you. Great acting, direction, plotting, etc. I think it might be the editing? Something's stopping me getting as involved as I thought I would be.

by Anonymousreply 388February 28, 2015 11:05 AM

The Endeavour series is really the best, well-written, great performances. Looking forward to the next round.

Shaun Evans is scrawny and hot in his rumpled raincoat.

by Anonymousreply 389February 28, 2015 1:12 PM

R383 - watch 'Happy Valley' if you like Norton. He plays a dishy rapist. Actually, the series is quite good. Of Broadchurch, The Fall and Happy Valley, I'd say I enjoyed Happy Valley the most.

by Anonymousreply 390March 1, 2015 7:17 PM

Yes, Happy Valley was excellent. Well, except for the last 1 1/2 episodes where the whole thing fell apart. It's like they planned the series for 5 episodes and then got word that they had to expand to 6.

by Anonymousreply 391March 2, 2015 2:57 AM

R389 I just recently saw a tv movie of Endeavour. I liked it a lot and will have to watch the series. I prefer the chubby and mature Thursday to skinny Endeavor, but he is pretty good looking as well.

by Anonymousreply 392March 2, 2015 3:02 AM

Endeavour is terrific. Agree with all who enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 393March 2, 2015 3:11 AM

Does anyone know when Happy Valley returns for Season 2?

Best show I watched all year.

by Anonymousreply 394March 2, 2015 3:11 AM

I love Endeavour, which had a fantastic season two finale. Can't wait for it to return.

by Anonymousreply 395March 2, 2015 3:12 AM

I think they film early this year and broadcast in the UK in the fall. Thank you, Hola... nothing to wait for.

by Anonymousreply 396March 2, 2015 3:13 AM

For fans of shows set in the past you could try Peaky Blinders and Ripper Street. I enjoyed Whitechapel and watched to the very end - there could have been another season, they never found out who the nasty old woman was. The whole imagery of Rupert Penry Jones as an angel, shirtless and looking like the fury of God was overdone but also fitted very well with the whole descent into darkness theme.

I'm a big fan of Inspector Frost. Also there was Falcón, a joint effort between the British, French and Germans but set in Seville, Spain.

by Anonymousreply 397March 2, 2015 1:18 PM

I love it when people refer to BBC as 'Auntie' (and said with a posh British accent). So campy and fun!

by Anonymousreply 398March 2, 2015 1:58 PM

"I love it when people refer to BBC as 'Auntie'"

Why do people call it Auntie? I always heard it called the Beeb.

by Anonymousreply 399March 2, 2015 2:13 PM

R399

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400March 2, 2015 2:23 PM

I wish I could find the French and Saunders take on "Rosemary and Thyme" called "Sausages and Mash."

Felicity Kendal and Pam Ferris appear to yell at French and Saunders.

by Anonymousreply 401March 3, 2015 1:10 PM

I watched a police detective series called "A Mind to Kill" years ago. It was set in Wales and starred Philip Madoc. I like its but then again I do have a soft spot for Welshmen and their accents.

by Anonymousreply 402March 5, 2015 7:26 PM

My post above should read: I liked it but...

by Anonymousreply 403March 5, 2015 7:30 PM

R402

I remember A Mind To Kill! It was great!

You should look out Hinterland (I think I or someone else mentioned it earlier but I can't be bothered to go back and look). It had great plots and was beautifully shot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404March 5, 2015 10:06 PM

Does anyone remember the old two part series "A Married Man" with Anthony Hopkins?

by Anonymousreply 405March 5, 2015 11:10 PM

[quote]I can tell you this. I watched the first series and I was delighted when they added the second series. It's a bit vapid but it's fun to watch. Essie Davis is very good in this, and she's gorgeous. Her costumes alone are worth it. Her co-star, Nathan Page (who looks like a young Joseph Cotten), is also gorgeous. There's a lot of very obvious heat between them but so far no sex. People, houses, cars, locations – everything about this show is beautifully done.

The show is stupid beyond words, but the look look of it is exquisite. It's worth it just to see what Davis will wear in each scene.

by Anonymousreply 406March 6, 2015 2:43 PM

I rented the HELEN WEST CASEBOOK from the library this week (3 episodes) ... so you don't have to -- ugh! Even adorable Martin Freeman couldn't save that mess!

by Anonymousreply 407March 6, 2015 8:31 PM

[quote] Is Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries high on anyone's recommended list? Netflix is pushing it on me.

It's one of those shows where i can never sit through an entire episode, like All Creatures Great and Small and Father Brown. They may have wonderful costumes and period atmosphere, but I find myself wandering away from the TV and not returning until the show is over. And I don't feel like I missed anything.

Now Foyle's War is a show that has it all. Costuming, atmosphere, acting and a good script.

by Anonymousreply 408March 6, 2015 9:18 PM

THE FALL will be back for season three and Jamie Dornan is in it. Why?! The duel between Spector and Stella lost its steam way before season two ended.

Well, I hope Stella beds a woman in season three.

[quote]And you can understand too, the allure of hanging on to Fifty Shades’ Jamie Dornan, now a massive star, who will also return for The Fall’s third season. But we really don’t need to see more of Paul Spector, whose character really fell apart in the second series as his delusion became more unbelievable. (Let’s not even start reminding ourselves of his relationship with “the Benedetto girl”.) But according to Ben Stephenson, the BBC’s controller of drama commissioning: “Allan has known the end game from the beginning – the cat and mouse game between Gillian and Jamie has one last act to play out. Who will win?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409March 11, 2015 4:03 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 410March 12, 2015 7:34 PM

Here's a question. In the UK, when they bring a suspect in, they always tape the interview. Is that illegal in the US or do they just not bother?

by Anonymousreply 411March 13, 2015 3:50 PM

I saw Hinterland accidentally in the early hours of the morning, the actor is hot

by Anonymousreply 412March 13, 2015 5:42 PM

Most (if not all) of police interview rooms in the US are wired for sound and/or video.

by Anonymousreply 413March 13, 2015 5:52 PM

Thanks r413. I didn't know that.

by Anonymousreply 414March 13, 2015 5:54 PM

Actually R411, now you have me wondering. Do they not video tape interviews in the UK/Europe?

by Anonymousreply 415March 13, 2015 6:29 PM

I dunno r415, it's just in all the shows I see, they use a tape recorder. (And I know that tv shows aren't a reflection of reality).

by Anonymousreply 416March 13, 2015 6:32 PM

R415

All interviews under caution by the police (this means suspect interviews) are recorded in the UK, but the recording is usually audio only.

For an interview to be admissible evidence at court, it must be accompanied by the recording. Police written records aren't enough. (That is, if the interview is with the accused. This may or may not apply to witness interviews. I'm not sure of that.)

by Anonymousreply 417March 13, 2015 7:39 PM

Just to add: many police interview rooms have CCTV, but this isn't directly related to record keeping. The interview recordings are done with separate audio recording equipment, which is kept in view of the suspect and special audio cassettes, which are unsealed and resealed also in view of the suspect.

by Anonymousreply 418March 13, 2015 7:43 PM

R409, The Fall might not be good enough for that Guardian critic, but it sure as hell beats US detective shows to a bloody pulp. It's all about context. Here in the US our choices are between bad and worse.

by Anonymousreply 419March 13, 2015 8:38 PM

"The interview recordings are done with separate audio recording equipment,"

I just love how they say "Interview terminated at 11:36 am" and then angrily punch the off button when a person is uncooperative.

by Anonymousreply 420March 13, 2015 8:55 PM

R420

It seems to be a trope of detective shows, yes!

There is an interesting Channel 4 documentary series, 24 Hours in Police Custody, that shows the actual interviewing process quite well - the first episode was about a contract murder and really was quite riveting, even though the interviewing was utterly boring with the suspect saying "no comment" to everything.

The PACE rules outlaw aggressive or bullying questioning, and it's quite a surprise to see how friendly police interviews actually are, even when the crime is serious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421March 13, 2015 10:29 PM

R402

A one-off feature length episode of Hinterland aired on BBC Wales last night. It's on iPlayer, if you can use it.

by Anonymousreply 422April 7, 2015 10:00 AM

Has anyone here seen Shetland? Your thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 423April 7, 2015 2:22 PM

R423

I love Shetland. I like anything with a sense of landscape, and it's beautifully shot. I also like Dougie Henshall. Loved the episode with Brian Cox and also the one featuring Up Helly Aa.

by Anonymousreply 424April 7, 2015 2:38 PM

I liked the first season of Hinterland, but I think the main detective character looks like Droopy Dog in the face and wears ridiculously too-tight... everything, but especially his pants. Looks really silly/hipster.

by Anonymousreply 425April 22, 2019 8:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!