Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It''s a Living

It deserves its own thread.

Why?

Because of Ann Jillian's hair.

Because of Mabel Mercer.

Because Paul Kreppel was fucking hot until he got fat and gross as Donna's dad on THAT 70s SHOW.

Because everyone got Barrie Youngfellow confused with Patti Deutsch.

Because the theme song sounded like it should have been belted out by Ethel Merman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167August 1, 2020 1:37 AM

Considering you can't even get the name Marian Mercer right do you think you should be starting a thread about anything?

by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2010 11:52 PM

Oh, you're so right, r1--I'll go out and commit seppuku now because of that unforgivable error.

by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2010 11:55 PM

Holy crap I forgot all about that show. WEHT Ann Jilian? I knew she had breast cancer.

by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2010 11:57 PM

Barrie was considerably prettier than Patti. Sorry, Patti. And the show had Susan Sullivan, didn't it?

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2010 11:59 PM

I was gonna ask when Mabel Mercer was in a sitcom but r1 answered it for me.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2010 12:02 AM

According to Wikipedia, that theme (the most braying theme song of all time) was written by Leslie Bricusse. Good Lord.

Remember when Louise Lasser was added to the cast (briefly) as one of the waitresses? Did. Not. Work.

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2010 12:09 AM

Paul Kreppel did NOT play Donna's dad on "That 70's Show", you douche--that was Don Stark as Bob. %0D %0D Maybe you should take R1's advice. Or better yet--your own.

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2010 12:16 AM

That was the best R1 of all time.

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2010 12:18 AM

They went through a lot of cast changes - partly due to the shift from network to first run syndication but didn't it also get cancelled briefly then brought back during its network run?

Crystal Bernard from Wings and the last awful season of Happy Days was also on for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2010 12:21 AM

I loved the theme song!!!

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2010 12:24 AM

Mabel Mercer was the cabaret singer. Marian Mercer was the actress in It's A Living.

by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2010 12:25 AM

Ann Jillian was all over TV in the 80s and then she just disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2010 12:27 AM

Marian Mercer also won a tony award for playing Marge Macdougal in Promises, Promises 40 years before Katie Finneran won a tony for the same role.

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2010 12:27 AM

Don't forget that between 1982 (the end of its network run) and 1985 (the beginning of its syndicated run) the show was retooled as "Making A Living".

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2010 12:31 AM

Was this show syndicated all over the country? I told a friend of mine about the show this summer, but she had never heard of it. I showed her the theme song on Youtube, but she drew a blank.

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2010 12:37 AM

At one point, it was called "Making a Living."

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2010 12:38 AM

Paul Kreppel was JACKIE'S dad on "That 70's Show", OP, not Donna's.

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2010 12:44 AM

Is Crystal Bernard still in denial?

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2010 1:00 PM

Sadly, Ann Jillian's breast cancer and subsequent mastectomy was a serious blight on a show that featured waitresses in sexy low-cut uniforms. If I'm not mistaken, this opening clip was after the operation because the original uniforms showed far more cleavage.

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2010 1:09 PM

Ann Jillian stole my hair-do!

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2010 1:10 PM

No, no, no.%0D %0D In it's first season (1980-81), it was called "It's a Living" and featured Susan Sullivan but not Barrie Youngfellow. The show was cancelled, Sullivan signed on for "Falcon Crest," then somebody at ABC decided to give the show another try and retooled it as "Making a Living," with Youngfellow replacing Sullivan, for the '81-'82 season. Still didn't work and it was cancelled.%0D %0D Brought back for syndication under the original title, "It's a Living," from 1985 to 1989, with Ann Jillian gone, being replaced by Sheryl Lee Ralph.

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2010 1:32 PM

I wanted Ann Jillian's hair. Desperately.

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2010 1:40 PM

I am obsessed with this show - why isn't it on DVD. There are EIGHT seasons of it. Yes, there's that high-belt theme song; I didn't know Leslie Bricusse wrote it, though that makes sense.

There's Louise Lasser, Ann Jillian (is that her singing "although we may be less than wealthy"), Tony winner Marian Mercer, Susan Sullivan and Sheryl Lee Ralph and Crystal Bernard later on...

Here's a dissection of the cast changes through the years:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2010 1:40 PM

Wrong R21.%0D %0D Barrie was always on "It's a Living". Susan Sullivan was replaced by Louise Lasser.%0D %0D And Ann Jillian was on the first syndicated season but left in 1986. She was replaced by Sheryl Lee Ralph.

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2010 1:44 PM

Also some agents seem to have gone into overtime on the billing. Season 1 is "Starring Susan Sullivan", but then both Ann Jillian and Barrie Youngfellow get the "And" + their character names, though two other actors (without an "And") are sandwiched between.

It was another Junger Witt / Thomas sitcom, I think they had a bunch of shows on ABC around that time.

It was also one of the first shows to be made exclusively for strip syndication (in its later seasons)...Suzanne Somers in "She's The Sheriff" was another from around the same time.

Here's season one ("It's A Living"):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2010 1:46 PM

Who was Barrie Youngfellow that she rated that special billing?

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2010 1:48 PM

Here's season 3 - those poor girls, having to go back to the Bonaventure Hotel and walk around and ride the elevator to reshoot the opening all the times the cast re-tooled.

Billing is now "Starring Ann Jillian" and only Barrie Youngfellow gets the "And"

WARNING: lots of fried 80's hair in this one, but the print quality is better than the other clips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2010 1:53 PM

Paul Kreppel is neither fat, nor gross.

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2010 1:55 PM

Even as a kid I could see that without the blonde mushroom hair Ann Jillian would not look like much

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2010 1:56 PM

Was Youngfellow as well-known as Jillian before this show started? Because I notice the credits for each are the same.

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2010 2:00 PM

%0D I thought Sheryl Lee Ralph did a great job. Of course, I was about 7 at the time, but I did love her anyway.%0D

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2010 2:03 PM

Our Datalounge tour of IT'S A LIVING title sequence variations continues with Season 6 (still somehow with the title IT'S A LIVING, though the MAKING A LIVING title was in there for a while).

Crystal Bernard has traded in the hideous blue-green and black hunter's jacket pattern for an awful looking bear sweater. This time it's Gail Edwards who wears the awful blue-green and black hunter pattern garment...only this time, it's a dress.

At last, it's "Starring" Barrie Youngfellow, still twirling around by the locker (though in a different direction and with different hair), and Sheryl Lee Ralph is sandwiched in the middle and Marian Mercer gets the "And" with her character's first AND last names; previously she was closer to the top of the credit sequence, but with no "And".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2010 2:03 PM

Barrie Youngfellow is married to Sam Freed (Kate & Allie) for over 30 years. She is a NY theater actress, and once the series was canceled resumed her theater career in NY.

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2010 2:05 PM

I imagine Youngfellow being very demanding... like Lupone. Anyone know her?

I dreamed of having a nice cocktail in that lounge. It looked so glamorous to my six year old eyes.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2010 2:11 PM

My biggest beef was that the restaurant only offered one type of salad!

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2010 2:14 PM

Here are some lyrics.

Life's not the French Riviera, believe me, life's not a charity ball.

It isn't all a great big bed of roses, it's not like showbiz, but the main thing I suppose is%E2%80%A6

(KEY CHANGE)

We're not the people you envy, believe me, we know we're doing okay.

(Descant over the above: We are not faking it, we are gonna make it)

(SOLO)

Okay, we may be less than wealthy, but then again, we're young and healthy,

(TUTTI)

And anyone who's young and healthy knows that that's the way the traffic flows.

It's a living.

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2010 2:14 PM

Oops -there are only SIX seasons of it (120 episodes). And I'm ashamed to admit, I cannot find the Lasser version of the credits, nor can I find any MAKING A LIVING titled credits (though there's no question that was the title for a while).

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2010 2:19 PM

Here's Ann Jillian's website. There are pics of her with everyone from Jonas Salk to Mickey Rooney.

She mainly does personal appearances, it seems, though she keeps an agent at APA.

We're still waiting for you to upload those audio clips to your site, Ann. It's said "audio coming soon"...for a while.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2010 2:26 PM

I can't believe many of the same names that worked on Golden Girls produced this trash!

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2010 2:27 PM

I, too, would like to make personal appearances for a living.

by Anonymousreply 40November 23, 2010 2:29 PM

In the pilot Mabel Mercer's name was Marian Mercer but they changed it because "Mabel" sounded too ethnic!

by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2010 2:32 PM

One of Barrie Youngfellow's pre-sitcom credits is playing - wait for it - JOAN CRAWFORD in the mini-series "The Scarlett O'Hara Wars". Talk about your MARY!%0D %0D Why isn't THAT on DVD?%0D %0D

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 23, 2010 2:38 PM

[quote]Who was Barrie Youngfellow that she rated that special billing?

I was thinking exactly the same thing, not to mention she's hideous in that clip.

I can't remember ever having watched this show, yet I know the theme song and it was on the air for years it seemed. Did anyone actually watch this?

by Anonymousreply 43November 23, 2010 2:45 PM

I think Bricusse makes perfect sense for the theme song. It sounds like something cut from Victor/Victoria.

by Anonymousreply 44November 23, 2010 2:53 PM

Uh, I don't think so r33. She's a hack 80's TV actress whose credits mostly stick to late season appearances in long running shows like WKRP, Three's Company, and Blossom. Her only steady work was "It's A Living."

She's never appeared on Broadway, unless it was under another name.

by Anonymousreply 45November 23, 2010 2:56 PM

I never said she was a broadway actress. I said she is a NY theater actress. Last time I checked there are TONS of theaters in NYC, with no connection to broadway.

by Anonymousreply 46November 23, 2010 3:01 PM

I want to hear more about how demanding Barrie Youngfellow is.

God knows she re-shot that spin around at the locker enough times.

by Anonymousreply 47November 23, 2010 3:13 PM

[R42] One of Barrie Youngfellow's pre-sitcom credits is playing - wait for it - JOAN CRAWFORD in the mini-series "The Scarlett O'Hara Wars". Talk about your MARY!%0D %0D Why isn't THAT on DVD? %0D %0D %0D Actually, it is on DVD. It's one of the special features on the GWTW blu-ray.

by Anonymousreply 48November 23, 2010 3:15 PM

No one said Youngfellow was demanding. One sad soul posted %0D %0D [quote]I imagine Youngfellow being very demanding%0D %0D which is one of the small handful of stock delusions about actors here on DL. The other is that every cast of every show is a big family, and stays in touch forever after.

by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2010 3:17 PM

Ann Jillian was a pretty terrific actress. Scored three Emmy nominations during the eighties.

by Anonymousreply 50November 23, 2010 3:26 PM

Still, R49, it would be fun to hear about fireworks and backstage geschrei on the set of an 80s strip-syndicated sitcom like IT'S A LIVING.

by Anonymousreply 51November 23, 2010 3:39 PM

Speaking of Ann Jillian - anyone here see her portrayal of Mae West? Campy 80s fun at its best.:)

by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2010 3:42 PM

I remember this being on forever but never watched anything but the opening credits. So, was it just an upscale version of "Alice"?

by Anonymousreply 53November 23, 2010 3:42 PM

I have worked in The NY Theatre for 65 years and never heard of Barrie Youngfellow.

by Anonymousreply 54November 23, 2010 6:15 PM

It wasn't a bad show, but the people who produced it also worked for "The Golden Girls" %0D %0D One episode had Crystal Bernard's character moaning about how she wanted a dog, and Ann Jillian saying "If you're lonely, get yourself a man" and I think you know how the rest of the joke turned out (word for word by the way)%0D %0D The kitchen set was the same one that they used on the Golden Girls episode where they serve the homeless dinner.

by Anonymousreply 55November 23, 2010 6:23 PM

I thought Paul Kreppel was very funny. I remember on one episode, they had a group of lounge singers singing "I Write The Songs" with him.

"I am music...me, Sonny Mann, AND I WRITE THE SONG!"

by Anonymousreply 56November 23, 2010 6:30 PM

[quote]Speaking of Ann Jillian - anyone here see her portrayal of Mae West? Campy 80s fun at its best.:)

Yes! I love this thread, I haven't thought about It's a Living in years. I wanted to be Ann Jillian.

by Anonymousreply 57November 23, 2010 7:36 PM

I don't understand R18's post. What is Bernard in denial about?

by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2010 7:40 PM

I loved the theme song too. I would tune in just for that.

by Anonymousreply 59November 23, 2010 7:42 PM

Gotta give Gail Edwards some credit for modesty---it's her website that lists all of the cast rotations, but she never tries to give herself "top billing" on any of the lists.%0D %0D That kind of perspective is refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 60November 23, 2010 7:53 PM

"Life's...not the French Riviera...life's not a charity ball..."

by Anonymousreply 61November 23, 2010 7:53 PM

From Sam Freed's website

'He has appeared with his wife, Barrie Youngfellow, at the O%E2%80%99Neill Theatre Center and in the West Coast Premier of A. R. Gurney's The Fourth Wall at the Pasadena Playhouse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 23, 2010 7:57 PM

Did they do a "very special episode" dealing with Ann Jillian's breast cancer or am I imagining that?

To the person who asked if it was just an upscale version of ALICE: not really. Or maybe in the very broadest of terms. I didn't realize it was from the same producers as GOLDEN GIRLS but now I can't help but see the similarities. Much warmer-fuzzy than ALICE, which tended to be crass and cornpone.

by Anonymousreply 63November 24, 2010 1:42 AM

I remember a TOWERING INFERNO type episode where there was a fire on the floors below and the girls were trapped in the restaurant upstairs.

Or maybe that's just my imagination.

Even enterprising R62 can't turn up an NYC theatre credit for Ms. Youngfellow.

by Anonymousreply 64November 24, 2010 3:12 AM

No, it's not your imagination, r64. I remember that episode, too.

by Anonymousreply 65November 24, 2010 3:19 AM

"Is Crystal Bernard still in denial?"

About what?

by Anonymousreply 66November 24, 2010 3:55 AM

Did anyone see Bernard on Broadway when she was the fifth Annie in the Weissler's ANNIE GET YOUR GUN revival (after Bernadette Peters, Susan Lucci, Cheryl Ladd, and Reba McIntyre?)

by Anonymousreply 67November 24, 2010 4:13 AM

A Google search turns up only 2 NY theater credits for Barrie Youngfellow: a part in one of EST's one-act marathons in 1999, and a play with her husband Sam Freed (and Kerry Butler) than ran off-off-Broadway for 21 performances (3 weeks) in 1998.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 24, 2010 5:18 AM

Barrie Youngfellow demanding? Well, I might have thought so, until I starred on Blossom. That Joey Lawrence is a fucking DIVA.

by Anonymousreply 69November 24, 2010 5:29 AM

Susan Sullivan, Barrie Youngfellow, Paul Kreppel, Gail Edwards and Wendy Schall appeared on All-Star Family Feud and it's on DVD!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 24, 2010 5:34 AM

"Sing along, bitches! You know you want to."%0D %0D R61, you have to sing it like THIS:%0D %0D "Life's not... the French Rivieeeerrrrra...believe me, life's not.... a charity baaaaaaaaaaall!!!" %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 71November 24, 2010 5:47 AM

Ann Jillian's husband wrote (or it was ghost written for him) a book for husbands dealing with their wives' breast cancer. I picked it up when my mom was diagnosed with bresat cancer years ago. Ann went through a horrible battle with the disease, and considering how young she was when she was diagnosed, I assumed that her disappearance from the public eye might mean she ended up dying some time ago. Very nice to see that she is not only alive, but went on to have a son. She's still married to her husband; he came off as a very nice guy in the book.

by Anonymousreply 72November 24, 2010 5:56 AM

Ann Jillian had the lowest-cut dress of all of them on that show. When she came back after her surgery, they raised the neckline and she didn't wear any padding.

It's probably more common today for breast cancer survivors to make do without visible reconstruction or padding, but it wasn't so much back then (particularly for an actress whose boobs were a big part of her public persona). It seemed to be a terrible ordeal, and she handled the whole ordeal with a lot of class.

by Anonymousreply 73November 24, 2010 6:07 AM

As a child actress, Ann Jillian played Dainty June in the movie of GYPSY with Roz Russell.

And as a child actress, Morgan Brittany played Baby June.

Of course, Natalie Wood played Louise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 24, 2010 6:19 AM

I believe she did have some reconstructive surgery. Actually most women today do have reconstructive surgery, it has become very advanced now. And many insurance companies must by law cover reconstructive surgery.%0D %0D Full masectomies are not as common now as they were when Ann had her cancer. But her cancer was widespread in both breasts, so she would have had no choice even today.%0D %0D Yikes! Didn't mean to bring the thread down!%0D

by Anonymousreply 75November 24, 2010 6:26 AM

I thought Wendy Schaal had fallen off the planet after the 80s but she's currently the voice of Francine on "American Dad." I've had a gay crush on her since "Where The Boys Are '84."

by Anonymousreply 76November 24, 2010 6:28 AM

I LOVE this thread! YAY for first run syndication!

It's A Living

Mama's Family

Wait Til Your Father Gets Home

What else?

by Anonymousreply 77November 24, 2010 10:46 AM

%0D Out of This World starring the immortal Donna Pescow!

by Anonymousreply 78November 24, 2010 12:53 PM

Ann Jillian was in "Sammy, the Way-Out Seal"? Thank god for IMDB!

by Anonymousreply 79November 24, 2010 1:00 PM

Michael Feinstein! No one has mentioned Michael Feinstein!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 24, 2010 1:59 PM

Throb with Jane Leeves.

by Anonymousreply 81November 24, 2010 2:10 PM

I loved this show back then, but wonder if it still holds up. Marian mercer stole every scene she was in as Nancy beebe.

by Anonymousreply 82November 24, 2010 2:34 PM

Apparently Ms. Youngfellow is "retired" as a TV and film actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 24, 2010 10:34 PM

Sometimes "retirement" is forced upon you.

by Anonymousreply 84November 24, 2010 10:46 PM

I didn't know Wendy Schaal was the voice of "Francine." I love stupid trivia like that.

by Anonymousreply 85November 24, 2010 10:49 PM

Heidi Klum ripped off Ann's hairstyle for this season's Project Runway, though it looked fucking awful on Heidi.

Love Ann Jillian! I think she's still performing in cabaret these days. Who else remembers "Jennifer Slept Here"?

by Anonymousreply 86November 24, 2010 11:02 PM

The Louise Lasser credits are found!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87September 9, 2011 6:23 PM

I also wanted Ann Jillian's hair DESPERATELY. We never played anything without my going out of the way to specify that I had long platinum hair. The other kids never got it.

by Anonymousreply 88September 9, 2011 6:33 PM

I think Ann Jillian had a bout with cancer. That might be why she dropped off the radar. I've seen her in a few tv movies on Lifetime and Hallmark.

by Anonymousreply 89September 9, 2011 6:37 PM

Louise Lasser?! I must have missed that.

That was weird how "Ann Jillian as Cassie" was inserted into the middle of the credits instead of at the end.

by Anonymousreply 90September 9, 2011 6:37 PM

I love this thread. I really love Marian Mercer. I absolutely friggin' love [R54].

by Anonymousreply 91September 9, 2011 7:39 PM

Love this show! Love the theme! I think you're not gay unless you know the words to this theme song and have fantasized about going to the Bonaventure Hotel and recreating the opening!

by Anonymousreply 92September 9, 2011 9:01 PM

Was the Bonaventure nice before? Yelpers weren't impressed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 9, 2011 9:23 PM

r89 is a bit late to the thread.

by Anonymousreply 94September 9, 2011 9:52 PM

Ann Jillian had a double mastectomy due to breast cancer around 1984. She later starred in a made for TV movie about her experience. She had a son about a year or so later.

by Anonymousreply 95September 10, 2011 1:02 AM

[quote]I think Ann Jillian had a bout with cancer. That might be why she dropped off the radar. Really? You thought 99.9% of DLers didn't already know this? Honey, I guarantee that not only did most DLers already know, they probably incorporated it into their Ann Jillian "dress-up" when they were kids by removing the rolled up socks.

by Anonymousreply 96September 10, 2011 1:24 AM

I'm glad to see that Barrie had her teeth fixed in between seasons.

by Anonymousreply 97September 10, 2011 2:04 AM

Ann Jillian was one of those 80s celebrities (like the Landers sisters) who was always on TV every five minutes, but as soon as the decade was over she practically disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 98September 10, 2011 2:14 AM

Fucking fantastic, another cast change. I suppose we have to redress the parking ramp with that god damn Sky High Dining...Above the Top sign, again.

by Anonymousreply 99September 10, 2011 2:17 AM

LOVE the opening theme song and video. It looks like a MAD TV parody of an 80's sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 100September 10, 2011 2:18 AM

OMG Marian Mercer died? I missed that. I loved her in 9 to 5 as Mr. Hart's clueless wife.

by Anonymousreply 101September 10, 2011 3:12 AM

Wasn't THROB with Diana Canova?

by Anonymousreply 102September 10, 2011 3:24 AM

Ann Jillian was the younger "version" of Baby June in the film version of Gypsy. I don't know if another poster mentioned this or not.

by Anonymousreply 103September 10, 2011 3:44 AM

"We're young and healthy.."

Except for Ann's tits.

by Anonymousreply 104September 10, 2011 3:49 AM

Marian Mercer was Cousin Magda on the Golden Girls. "Dorothy, let it go"

The guys in the kitchen were:

The priest at Phil's funeral

The city inspector that threatens to kick Dorothy, Rose and Sophia out of Blanche's house.

by Anonymousreply 105September 10, 2011 3:53 AM

Paul Kreppel has a Tony award.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 10, 2011 9:35 AM

Yes, Throb was mine, MINE, ALL MINE!

by Anonymousreply 107September 10, 2011 11:51 AM

"Throb" starred Diana Canova with co-star, Jane Leeves. A really enjoyable sitcom at the time.

by Anonymousreply 108September 10, 2011 11:54 AM

My friend saw the Landers sisters do a cabaret act in the early 90s and said they sucked. What made them so special?

by Anonymousreply 109September 10, 2011 1:12 PM

THROB credits. I loved this show as a kid. Didn't realize Paul Walker played Diana Canova's son.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110September 10, 2011 2:36 PM

Dear God, that looks awful, r110. I have absolutely NO recollection of that show and I'm a TV addict since childhood. From the look of it I'm guessing late-80s first-run syndication, but please correct me if I'm wrong and one of the big networks actually aired that shit.

by Anonymousreply 111September 10, 2011 2:47 PM

I WAS awful, R111, lol. But I watched it anyway on Saturday afternoons. It usually came on after my cartoons. Throb, along with shows like It's A Living, Mama's Family and Small Wonder babysat me while my mom was at work.

And yes, it was syndicated.

by Anonymousreply 112September 10, 2011 2:55 PM

Interesting that the opening credits to Throb are on You Tube, but I can't find the credits to "I'm a Big Girl Now" anywhere!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113September 10, 2011 3:01 PM

Thank goodness Diana Canova is out of the business. Her acting got on my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 114September 10, 2011 4:10 PM

I think Throb was mid-80s

It was another one of those "dweeby little guy wins the heart of cute gal" shows.

by Anonymousreply 115September 10, 2011 4:16 PM

I remember one thing about THROB. It was a scene where the short guy and Miss Canova were on a bus and they were giving each other the googly eyes as a generic version of Tina Turner's "Two People" played in the background.%0D %0D Jimmie Walker's BUSTIN LOOSE and Don Adams supermarket sitcom were also on around that time.%0D %0D I miss the old USA!! NBC execs should be hanged for what they've done to it!

by Anonymousreply 116September 10, 2011 4:32 PM

Was Diana Canova considered an IT girl in the early 80's? Didn't she leave Soap a la Shelley Long to do bigger and better things? Hard to believe she was ever a star she has that look that screams soccer frau.

by Anonymousreply 117September 10, 2011 5:41 PM

it never seemed like a very demanding waitressing job

by Anonymousreply 118September 10, 2011 6:17 PM

And the tips must have been really good for them to stay on for almost a decade!

by Anonymousreply 119September 10, 2011 6:25 PM

I remember watching this show as a kid but not being particularly moved by it. I think it was on Friday nights. Surprised to read that it was controversial at the time and even considered risque. Was also surprised it was given numerous lifelines throughout its run, even disappearing from the schedule for almost 3 years. As if ITS A LIVING was SUCH an astounding show, that had to be continually saved, which it really wasn't. I mean, it was nothing like the Golden Girls or Taxi, real groundbreakers. I am also surprised that nobody here has yet mentioned that the theme song lyrics were different when it was called MAKING A LIVING. The last lines go like:

With no misgiving.... We're making a living....

Also, weird that they would have made such a subtle change to the title. I don't get how Hollywood works sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 120September 10, 2011 6:59 PM

There were many 80's sitcoms that found new life in first run syndication after the networks cancelled them. It's A Living, Mama's Family, We Got It Made, Charles in Charge, What's Happenin' and I'm sure there were a few others. First-run syndication for comedies and dramas kind of died off in the last decade though. I guess those are the shows that are pitched to cable now.

by Anonymousreply 121September 10, 2011 7:59 PM

Susan Sullivan was wonderfully funny in this and didn't deserve to be canned for Louise Lasser. Susan got the last laugh, though, for several succesful seasons on Falcon Crest.

by Anonymousreply 122September 10, 2011 8:25 PM

Susan Sullivan gave the show class, something it lacked by the time Crystal Bernard joined.

by Anonymousreply 123September 11, 2011 3:48 PM

I thought Ann Jillian's hair was awful. However, I did spend a large part of the 80s scrunching, crimping and spritzing my hair to look like Crystal Bernard's, so my taste is suspect.

by Anonymousreply 124September 11, 2011 5:06 PM

Can we get way from Diana Canova (not quickly enough!) and back to It's A Living?

by Anonymousreply 125September 12, 2011 12:35 AM

Wait. I'm confused. We do hate or love Crystal Bernard?

by Anonymousreply 126September 12, 2011 12:41 AM

She's a saint!

by Anonymousreply 127September 12, 2011 1:48 AM

Louise Lasser was hysterical (new Youtube clip found).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128May 5, 2013 2:26 PM

The wait staff had to make their own salads at a rounded prep area...there was no consistency

by Anonymousreply 129May 5, 2013 2:49 PM

So why did Barrie Youngfellow get top billing OVER Gail Edwards?

It's A Living

Starring

Barrie Youngfellow

by Anonymousreply 130May 5, 2013 3:01 PM

When your whole schtick for making a living is that you are young and have big boobs, it's no surprise that you sink without a trace when you're old and had a double mastectomy.

by Anonymousreply 131May 5, 2013 3:18 PM

Mr Barrie Youngfellow (Sam Freed) was a seriously hot man back in his "Kate & Allie" days. He had that Aiden Quinn look that used to drive me wild.

Valerie Harper was Wendy Shaal's stepmom at one time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132May 5, 2013 3:26 PM

Yes R132. And Nancy Beebe was Cousin Magda.

"It's just a helluva book!" - Dorothy Zbornak

by Anonymousreply 133May 5, 2013 6:16 PM

From an old thread about Ann Jillian:

[quote]Now it can be told: I was Paul Kreppel's fuck buddy.

[quote]He produces now as well as acts, and produced Jay Johnson (the ventriloquist from SOAP)'s one man show. We met when it "tried out" at an off-Broadway theater in Chelsea in 2005. And we were fbs on and off for about 3 years while the show played off and then on Broadway.

[quote]Nice guy, very funny, furry chest, very oral. Nice cut cock about 7" and versatile. Great hot Jewish lover, esp. since was in his late 50s when we were fbs.

[quote]I asked him about the tv series (since I remembered him from it) and he said he had a great time doing it, but he was very much a second-tier cast member - the women were far more catered to.

by Anonymousreply 134May 5, 2013 6:32 PM

I wonder why this show isn't on a cable network or AntennaTV or MeTV. There are certainly enough episodes available, and it hasn't been repeated to death like some other shows of the era (e.g., Golden Girls.)

by Anonymousreply 135May 5, 2013 6:36 PM

It's distributed by Warner Bros. and for some reason their shows aren't shown on any retro stations like the shows owned by CBS/Paramount or Sony. The Hogan Family, Mama's Family, Alice, Perfect Strangers, It's a Living, Growing Pains, Murphy Brown all have enough episodes for syndication yet air nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 136May 5, 2013 8:06 PM

Bump for "It's A Living."

by Anonymousreply 137February 18, 2014 2:22 AM

Why is Barrie top billed?

by Anonymousreply 138February 18, 2014 3:09 AM

"Why is Barrie top billed?"

Would Gail Edwards have been more appropriate?

by Anonymousreply 139February 18, 2014 3:14 AM

Murphy Brown is on the Encores retro station.

by Anonymousreply 140February 18, 2014 3:32 AM

Ann would be top.

by Anonymousreply 141February 18, 2014 3:37 AM

n

by Anonymousreply 142February 19, 2014 11:17 PM

Hey, Barrie is part of TV history -- she played Blossom's mother in the pilot. But then she was never seen again.

by Anonymousreply 143February 19, 2014 11:27 PM

Susan Sullivan was wonderful at comedy. That was really more her metier than melodrama--she was annoying as hell on Falcon Crest (despite her mastery of the credits pivot), but she was enjoyable in both this and Dharma & Greg.

by Anonymousreply 144February 19, 2014 11:32 PM

I remember Barrie Youngfellow when she was still Barrie Rivchun.

by Anonymousreply 145February 19, 2014 11:35 PM

I was in love with Ann Jillian as a kid due to that Alice in Wonderland TV movie where she was the red queen. She was so beautiful and her big song always made me cry. She sold that shit, man.

She has a killer voice.

by Anonymousreply 146February 19, 2014 11:40 PM

Susan Sullivan was great in this too. She had a good feel for comedy, but the show wanted to promote Ann Jillian far too much. The weak link was Wendy Schaal.

by Anonymousreply 147February 19, 2014 11:41 PM

The "Scarlett O'Hara War" episode of the 1980 miniseries Moviola is worth tracking down for Barrie's portrayal of Joan Crawford. The movie, about the top Hollywood actresses bitch-fighting over the chance to play Scarlett, should be a DL favorite. It's like an early-80's "The Women".

by Anonymousreply 148February 20, 2014 12:03 AM

I loved Marian Mercer when she guested on The Golden Girls as Dorothy's ex-husband's cousin Magda from communist Czechoslavakia. She had a heavy accent and got addicted to Slurpees because "They taste so natural and fruit-like".

"She said we live in a plastic society with no soul. This, after I took her to Hickory Farms for beefsticks and spreadable cheese."

by Anonymousreply 149February 20, 2014 12:14 AM

Bump because I was thinking about this show and about being less than wealthy but young and healthy.

by Anonymousreply 150April 11, 2014 2:27 AM

This is on logo right now first time ever watching it.

by Anonymousreply 151August 6, 2018 7:55 AM

What season did they change the title to Making a Living?

by Anonymousreply 152August 6, 2018 8:33 AM

It hasn’t aged well or maybe it was never all that funny?

by Anonymousreply 153August 6, 2018 8:36 AM

I know r148's entry is ancient history now, but "The Scarlett O'Hara War" is one of my top guilty pleasure films. To see so many of then contemporary actresses trying to channel vintage Hollywood stars is a hoot. Sharon Gless IS Carole Lombard! Loved Carrie Nye who played Tallulah Bankhead. Edward Winter was terrible as Clark Gable though. Barrie Youngfellow as Crawford chews scenery like it's her last meal. Well worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 154August 6, 2018 8:58 AM

The Village Voice praised the show when it came on in 1980. They principally praised Susan Sullivan as Lois. She was great as the straight person in a swirl of nut jobs. Then ABC decided SHE was the problem (how stupid) and she ended up for those gaylings who loved Falcon Crest as ''....and SUSAN SULLIVAN as Maggie' with that classic head twist. So it all worked out.

by Anonymousreply 155August 6, 2018 9:05 AM

In it's day, the Bonaventure where it was supposed to take place was quite a thing, it was brand new. Huge open interior with skylights and water fountain almost the entire footprint of the ground floor. The original elevators which now have a glass wall around them used to be completely open. So, when you were inside it would jet up with a clean view in the interior than surprise everyone as it shoots through the glass ceiling and suddenly you are on the outside of the building.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156August 6, 2018 10:22 AM

CHRIST, I haven't seen this show in FOREVER. Does anyone know why certain shows are picked up on Retro TV channels and some aren't? Like...is there some criteria a show needs to meet or is it as simple as popularity?

by Anonymousreply 157August 6, 2018 11:06 AM

It's all about money r157, which comes down to popularity. This show didn't really hold up well like say I live Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 158August 6, 2018 11:29 AM

been binge watching on logo.. love it!

by Anonymousreply 159September 6, 2018 10:12 AM

^Me too!

by Anonymousreply 160September 6, 2018 10:38 PM

Opening "It's A Living" All Six Seasons (1980 - 1982 | 1985 - 1989). Four different openings used in its six season run

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161September 6, 2018 10:50 PM

Who the hell is Barrie Youngfellow?

by Anonymousreply 162September 7, 2018 10:53 AM

R162 red headed Linda Lavin

by Anonymousreply 163September 7, 2018 7:29 PM

The “Jan” character is insufferable. during the hostage episode I wish they shot her in the head.

by Anonymousreply 164November 6, 2019 3:57 PM

"Barrie Youngfellow... once the series was canceled resumed her theater career in NY."

She's currently starring as "Evita" at the Motel 6 in Poughkeepsie.

by Anonymousreply 165November 6, 2019 4:11 PM

Here's Ann a couple years ago. She still looks great.

Maybe she won the lottery and doesn't need to work anymore?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166November 6, 2019 4:32 PM

Somebody uploaded all season of It's a Living on YouTube.

WHET Crystal Bernard? I looked her up and somehow found out she used to date Rush Limbaugh(eww). It looks like she hasn't done anything since Wings.

by Anonymousreply 167August 1, 2020 1:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!