Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What do you guys know about Gloria Grahame?

She was in all the noir movies, usually the bad girl. She wore tight sweaters and had bullet tits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202November 9, 2019 10:35 AM

Loved her in The Bad and the Beautiful. When we first came to LA I stayed in a bungalow at the BHH because of her.

by Anonymousreply 1November 1, 2010 2:21 AM

For some reason I'm thinking of the word "scandal" with her.

by Anonymousreply 2November 1, 2010 2:57 AM

Possibly because she slept with, and later married, her 17 year old stepson.

She lived quite a life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 1, 2010 3:30 AM

Love her. Gorgeous, but something a little off about her, making her interesting to watch. I liked her in [italic]The Big Heat[/italic], in which she plays Lee Marvin's girlfriend. In one scene she's making fun of how obsequious the low-level thugs are to the big cheese, and she imitates a prancing dog.

by Anonymousreply 4November 1, 2010 3:38 AM

Love her, too. She always brought a slightly slutty vibe to every production, no matter how high class.

by Anonymousreply 5November 1, 2010 3:49 AM

She and Bogart devastating in In a Lonely Place. Then of all things, in Oklahoma, she's very funny as Ado Annie.

An underappreciated talent, I think.

by Anonymousreply 6November 1, 2010 3:56 AM

This is my favorite.

[quote]causes publicity turmoil when she declares she dislikes night gowns and sleeps in the nude

by Anonymousreply 7November 1, 2010 4:07 AM

She caused a lot of trouble on the "Oklahoma" set, I believe, and supposedly that helped end her career.%0D %0D But her turn in "The Big Heat" is worth a row of Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 8November 1, 2010 4:08 AM

Her breath smelled just like George Cukor's. You figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 9November 1, 2010 4:16 AM

what kind of trouble, r8?

by Anonymousreply 10November 1, 2010 4:16 AM

She started screwing Nicholas Ray's son when he was 13. Basically, she was a pedophile.

by Anonymousreply 11November 1, 2010 4:24 AM

A terrific sctress.

by Anonymousreply 12November 1, 2010 4:29 AM

Full credit to OP for describing Grahame with the phrase "bullet tits." Very descriptive. I normally think of Marilyn Monroe in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes."

I always get Gloria Grahame confused with Gloria DeHaven. But DeHaven never fucked her step-son.

by Anonymousreply 13November 1, 2010 4:39 AM

Thanks r3, knew there was something. I think she was in that movie with Maureen O'Hara and Melvyn Douglas where they were lesbians. Dah, what was that movie called... Otherwise I've never seen her movies.

by Anonymousreply 14November 1, 2010 4:47 AM

She hated her mouth so she put something in it to give it a different shape. Like the Godfather, only she stuffed her upper lip.

by Anonymousreply 15November 1, 2010 4:53 AM

Terrific in "It's A Wonderful Life". %0D

by Anonymousreply 16November 1, 2010 5:00 AM

Knew Gloria; actually directed her onstage. One of the craziest people I've even known, in a life full of nutcase acquaintances. Must say, though, she wasn't too caught up in past glories; never willingly talked about her past or her career. Seemed very eager to establish a new persona as a strong stage performer. Went with her to the Broadway opening night of the Charles Nelson Reilly/Uta Hagen stage stinker, CHARLOTTE; Gloria, from the third row center of the orchestra, kept elbowing me and hissing loudly, "I thought Uta was supposed to be our greatest stage actress -- but she's absolutely TERRIBLE!" (And, that night, Gloria was correct.) During our months of friendship, she was busily ignoring the diagnosis of the cancer that eventually killed her. On a health-food kick, which, to Gloria, meant endless cigarettes, bottomless cups of strong coffee, and millions of cans of Spaghetti-Os. Could be very sweet, or a raving harpy; never knew which you'd get any given day.

by Anonymousreply 17November 1, 2010 5:09 AM

Thanks, R17.

by Anonymousreply 18November 1, 2010 5:12 AM

I think I remember reading she tried to ignore her breast cancer and flew off to London to do a play...then go so sick she had to return home and actually died on the plane.

by Anonymousreply 19November 1, 2010 5:31 AM

Married to director Nicholas Ray (of "Rebel Without A Cause" and other classic films) and then his son. Twisted!

by Anonymousreply 20November 1, 2010 5:36 AM

Don't judge me, but I think its kind of hot that she was fucking her stepson. It just seems so Hollywood and so scandalous. Not like the boring stuff actresses do today for attention. Flashing your beave for the paps isn't nearly as wild as fucking your husband's 17 year old son.

by Anonymousreply 21November 1, 2010 12:21 PM

She brought some much-needed piss and vinegar to that sugar-coated mess Oklahoma!

by Anonymousreply 22November 1, 2010 12:31 PM

I think you're talking about A WOMAN'S SECRET, R14. %0D %0D I recall reading in a biography of her that Gene Nelson called her out in front of the cast on her last day of shooting on OKLAHOMA because she'd been a real bitch to everyone the whole time, lots and lots of petty stuff adding up. The book also claimed that they had to piece her vocals together from several takes. Also, Mamie Van Doren claims, in her memoirs (PLAYING THE FIELD, highly recommended. She's like a nymphomaniac Norma Desmond)that Gloria stole the part of Ado Annie from her.%0D %0D I second the vote for IN A LONELY PLACE. Bogart and Grahame are such a great match that it's all the more devastating.

by Anonymousreply 23November 1, 2010 12:52 PM

Quite a story at R3's link. She must not have believed in birth control -- wonder what happened to all those kids.

by Anonymousreply 24November 1, 2010 12:53 PM

" I think she was in that movie with Maureen O'Hara and Melvyn Douglas where they were lesbians...."%0D %0D I never knew Melvyn Douglas was a lesbian. The things you learn on Datalounge!%0D %0D I still cannot believe Gloria G. won an Oscar for "The Bad and the Beautiful." First, she was nothing to write home about in the film, and second, she's on-screen for maybe 10 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 25November 1, 2010 1:04 PM

I heard she fucked her stepson. Has anyone else heard that?

by Anonymousreply 26November 1, 2010 1:13 PM

I get her mixed up with Bogart's psycho second wife Mayo Methot. Love these names btw.

by Anonymousreply 27November 1, 2010 1:29 PM

"She hated her mouth so she put something in it to give it a different shape. Like the Godfather, only she stuffed her upper lip."%0D %0D I can't remember exactly why, but yes she did stuff cotton under her upper lip. He co-stars disliked love scenes with her because they always ended up with a mouth full of cotton.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 28November 1, 2010 1:32 PM

Messed around endlessly with plastic surgery on her mouth. She was the Lipsa Rinna of her day.

by Anonymousreply 29November 1, 2010 1:35 PM

I love that she has four different birthdates at the R3 link

by Anonymousreply 30November 1, 2010 2:02 PM

"I still cannot believe Gloria G. won an Oscar for "The Bad and the Beautiful." First, she was nothing to write home about in the film, and second, she's on-screen for maybe 10 minutes."%0D %0D Robert Osbourne explained this during an airing of THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, she had a good run with several films prior to and immediately after the release of THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL.%0D %0D In 1952 she was in Sudden Fear , Macao, The Greatest Show on Earth and in 1950 she had the still under-rated film In a Lonely Place. So it was "her time."%0D

by Anonymousreply 31November 1, 2010 2:13 PM

interesting r17, what was she like onstage? good?

by Anonymousreply 32November 1, 2010 2:14 PM

I had a friend who referred to her as "Novocaine Lips"

by Anonymousreply 33November 1, 2010 2:47 PM

I didn't know she'd done so much television.

by Anonymousreply 34November 1, 2010 2:55 PM

Casting her as Ado Annie must have seemed outrageously unconventional, if not downright weird, at the time. She never did any musicals before or since, did she?%0D %0D Wasn't Celeste Holm, who originated the role on Broadway, even kind of a hot property in Hollywood at the time, having recently won an Oscar for Gentlemen's Agreement, as well as costarring in High Society?

by Anonymousreply 35November 1, 2010 10:19 PM

LOL R27. I believe the term "psycho bitch" was invented for Mayo Methot. The stories about her are unreal.

by Anonymousreply 36November 1, 2010 10:36 PM

Celeste Holm is reputed to be a major league cunt. Besides, she would have been more than a bit long in the tooth by the time "Oklaholma" was filmed.

Can you imagine GG and Betty Hutton on the same set? "The Greatest Show on Earth" must have been one big bucket of crazy behind the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 37November 1, 2010 10:39 PM

She was fab as small-town hussy Violet Bick in "It's A Wonderful Life"

by Anonymousreply 38November 1, 2010 10:41 PM

CA Birth index and 1930 census confirm 1923 date. Bless her for trying to knock 10 years off at one point.

by Anonymousreply 39November 1, 2010 11:36 PM

Fuck you! I am not a major league cunt!

by Anonymousreply 40November 2, 2010 12:30 AM

The thing about all those old Hollywood leading ladies - who wasn't a cunt back then?

by Anonymousreply 41November 2, 2010 12:40 AM

r36, didn't she threaten little Lauren Bacall's life - something to do with dropping a lampshade on her head? Or has old Betty been exaggerating in her twilight years?

by Anonymousreply 42November 2, 2010 12:41 AM

When she made The Grifters, Annette Bening was told by Stephen Frears to watch Gloria Grahame movies as research for her femme fatale character. Annette was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 43November 2, 2010 12:44 AM

Oh wow, R43 that makes so much sense. I love Annette in that film. Watching it you can see how she was cast as Catwoman in BATMAN RETURNS originally.

by Anonymousreply 44November 2, 2010 1:28 AM

"I never knew Melvyn Douglas was a lesbian. The things you learn on Datalounge!"

by Anonymousreply 45November 2, 2010 3:58 AM

Celeste Holm is STOOPID. I mean, never talked to Bette again? Missed a good thing. She should've known.

by Anonymousreply 46November 2, 2010 4:00 AM

I also think it's hot that she fucked her stepson. I mean, he wasn't her real son, for heaven's sake.

by Anonymousreply 47November 2, 2010 4:09 AM

Here's Tony Ray, the stepson Gloria fucked and married. Who could blame her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 2, 2010 4:13 AM

R23, Mamie Van Doren is a nutjob. There's no way she was offered the role of Ado Annie over Grahame, who already had an Oscar by that point, while Mamie was still an unknown starlet.

Actually, the role was first offered to Grahame's "Greatest Show on Earth" co-star Betty Hutton, but Betty, who was actually on her way out in Hollywood at the time, still thought she was a bigger star than she was and wanted only to play the lead, Laurie, not the second lead. So she lost the part and Fred Zinneman offered it to Gloria. Betty told me that story herself!

By that point (1953-54), Celeste Holm was considered too much of a "lady" onscreen to recreate her stage role as the hoydenish Ado Annie. Look at her roles in "High Society" and "The Tender Trap", both filmed around that same time - she had developed far too sophisticated (and older) an image to be believed as the nympho cowgirl by then.

by Anonymousreply 49November 2, 2010 6:35 AM

I read a biography on Gloria Graham some years back. Apparently she did not want to do Oklahoma and they studio made her do the film. She thought the film was stupid. So, she was miserable on the set and in the dancing scenes she would step on various dancers or do other stunts to make them miserable.

Gloria's father left her, sister, and mother. Her father wrote children%E2%80%99s books. Gloria had to take on the responsibility taking care of her mother and sister.

I think Gloria put cotton under upper lip to make it look fuller because this was before they had cosmetic surgery to enhance your lips with collagen.

I read in the biography that Gloria was always finically struggling or just constantly broke, so she had to work up until the time near her cancer problems.

Also, Gloria always wanted to be young, and according to the biography, she would do things like put on a leather jacket and helmut and ride at high speed in a motorcycle with her younger husband.

by Anonymousreply 50November 2, 2010 7:20 AM

one of her last roles is in "Chilly Scenes of Winter/Head Over Heels", a floppo 1979 movie made from one of those quiet-desperation Ann Beattie stories, in which she played John Heard's nutsy mom. Strange, sad movie. Studio kept changing the tiles and advertising from wacky comedy to downbeat story of a loser.

by Anonymousreply 51November 2, 2010 11:36 AM

Great to see you back here Holly Wood Hills! You don't post nearly often enough, at least not under your nom de plume.

by Anonymousreply 52November 2, 2010 12:42 PM

Wasn't Nicholas Ray one of the many older men Natalie Wood lost her virginity to?

by Anonymousreply 53November 2, 2010 12:44 PM

According to her autobiography Gloria's family was related to the royal family in Britain. She was originally from Virginia and her name was Haviland, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 54November 2, 2010 1:37 PM

"Besides, she would have been more than a bit long in the tooth by the time "Oklaholma" was filmed."%0D %0D And Gloria Graham WASN'T "long in the tooth?" I thought she totally miscast as Ado Annie. She was playing a slutty but child-like girl; she looked like a woman pushing forty (she was thirty but looked older). %0D %0D Her affair with her step-son wasn't "hot." She started fucking him when he was 13. Child molestation is not "hot." And she started fucking him while still married to his father! Fucking your husband's 13 year old son is not "hot." It's crazy. I think she must have very mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 55November 2, 2010 2:15 PM

R49, I know Mamie Van Doren is a whacko (the Norma Desmond reference, hilarious memoirs, etc.), I just thought it was a funny story.

by Anonymousreply 56November 2, 2010 6:39 PM

She did some excellent TV work as well (I particularly remember her as an addict in withdrawal on "Burke's Law" - not a trace of glamor, just great acting).

by Anonymousreply 57November 2, 2010 7:20 PM

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. I love reading this kind of stuff about old Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 58November 2, 2010 8:24 PM

She was diagnosed with stomach cancer, but refused to believe it (!) and ignored the cancer until it was too late.

by Anonymousreply 59November 2, 2010 8:31 PM

[quote] She was originally from Virginia and her name was Haviland, I believe.

No relation, I swear.

by Anonymousreply 60November 3, 2010 5:30 AM

A great deal of Nicholas Ray's great, underseen classic "Bigger Than Life," with James Mason and Barbara Rush, has to do with his feelings about Grahame and his son's affair. In the film, Mason's character is an impotent 1950s husband who turns into a hypercompetent, right-wing authoritarian under the influence of wonder drug cortisone and begins terrorizing his wife and young son until he concludes the boy must die. It's a scathing indictment of 1950s values and is now out on DVD and Blu-Ray thanks to the Criterion Collection.

by Anonymousreply 61November 3, 2010 5:39 AM

WEHT the son of nick ray? Anyway, I read this shitty book about a guy who befriended GG at the end of her life and she went to live with his family in the uk. Crazy ass story. Search for the book on ebay.

by Anonymousreply 62November 3, 2010 5:43 AM

here's the book i was talking about.%0D %0D An account of her last days is given in the book Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool by Peter Turner. ...%0D

by Anonymousreply 63November 3, 2010 5:47 AM

Gloria's family name was Hallward, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 64November 3, 2010 7:08 AM

I wonder if her kids are wacky.

by Anonymousreply 65November 3, 2010 7:41 AM

The cotton in her upper lip was to hide bad plastic surgery. She had tons of surgery and was quite addicted to it, and one surgery designed to lessen the lines above her lip gave her lip a stiff appearance. She put the cotton in her lip as a ruse so people would think she was quirky rather than know the truth: Botched plastic surgery.

Also, she didn't die on the plane home. She knew the cancer was terminal but was prolonging the inevitable by having fluid drained out of her abdomen by doctors. In London, she needed the operation but a doctor unfamiliar with the procedure botched it and she got septicemia. Friends managed to get her on a plane by lying about her condition, and she barely got home before she died, but she was in her apartment when she passed, not on the plane.

by Anonymousreply 66November 3, 2010 9:39 AM

[quote]I recall reading in a biography of her that Gene Nelson called her out in front of the cast on her last day of shooting on OKLAHOMA because she'd been a real bitch to everyone the whole time, lots and lots of petty stuff adding up. The book also claimed that they had to piece her vocals together from several takes.

I think you and I read the same book, [italic]Suicide Blonde[/italic]. They also mentioned that she would deliberately do her takes differently each time to throw other actors off, apparently out of some kind of weird insecurity. Then toward the end of the filming of "Oklahoma," she pulled down Gordon MacRae's hat really hard on his head during a take, apparently hurting him somewhat. He told the director to "take care of that woman" and walked off the set for the day.

At the wrap party, no one talked to Gloria. Everyone hated her and her reputation was ruined. From then on, her career was in the tanker. Take a look at the IMDb listing: She goes from 3-4 good movies a year before "Oklahoma" to almost nothing once it was finished.

by Anonymousreply 67November 3, 2010 9:46 AM

here's excerp from Live Fast, Die Young book re: GG and Ray

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 4, 2010 4:48 AM

She was something else.

by Anonymousreply 69November 6, 2010 4:09 AM

Met Celeste Holm in 2010 and 2011. She is a classy lady of the first degree. Her home was filled with people who love her just because she is a lady. She has spent her life giving back to the arts, children and animal charities and her walls are filled with recognition for all her continued giving and love.

by Anonymousreply 70January 18, 2011 10:25 PM

Caught in bed with her stepson by her husband, wasn't it?

by Anonymousreply 71February 4, 2011 3:38 AM

I know that she received a very undeserved Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 72February 4, 2011 9:05 AM

The coffee in the face scene in The Big Heat scarred ME for life.

by Anonymousreply 73February 4, 2011 3:21 PM

bump for crazy Gloria stories!

by Anonymousreply 74February 13, 2011 2:07 AM

[quote]I still cannot believe Gloria G. won an Oscar for "The Bad and the Beautiful." First, she was nothing to write home about in the film, and second, she's on-screen for maybe 10 minutes.

It's odd, because she is truly the epitome of an award winning supporting actress in the hair-raising "Sudden Fear" the same year. Just the notion of a cheap Gloria Grahame terrorizing a harried Joan Crawford is enough reason to watch it. Greatly entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 75February 13, 2011 2:34 AM

What I love about GG is that even though you couldn't see it, due to the production code, you just knew that her characters were fuck machines. She deserved that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 76February 13, 2011 2:48 AM

I love you, r76.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77February 13, 2011 3:03 AM

[quote]I also think it's hot that she fucked her stepson. I mean, he wasn't her real son, for heaven's sake.%0D %0D %0D And 9 inches soft could make anyone want a sample.

by Anonymousreply 78February 13, 2011 3:15 AM

Lets continue the discussion on Miss Grahame.

by Anonymousreply 79January 7, 2012 2:31 PM

Put me on Team She-didn't-deserve-that-Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 80January 7, 2012 4:32 PM

Never really liked her until I saw "A Lonely Place."

by Anonymousreply 81January 7, 2012 4:56 PM

Nobody's mentioned her turn in 1971's "Blood and Lace" where she looked worse-for-wear as a crazy middle-aged woman who runs a sadistic foster home for runaway teenagers and stores the bodies of the dead in her big walk-in freezer. A Must-see! It also stars Vic Tayback ("Alice") and has a wacked-out ending.

by Anonymousreply 82January 7, 2012 4:59 PM

Wow, this bitch is being glorified yet Sienna Miller gets called a slut/whore for the same behaviour. Double standard much you fucking hypocritical cunts?

by Anonymousreply 83January 7, 2012 5:16 PM

I still can't believe none of you mentioned that she not only had a child by Nicholas Ray but two sons by Anthony Ray! Which makes her son by the elder Ray the uncle of his two brothers!

I think I have that right...

by Anonymousreply 84January 15, 2012 1:03 AM

What a pity that Gloria broke up with her last husband Anthony Ray after fourteen years of marriage. I suspect that she really tried this time with this relationship as she never had tried before with the others. Anybody knows what led this couple to separation? I'm also very curious to know if Gloria was most of the time a cheater in her relationships with men...Was she as promiscuous as George Englund a producer and one of her early suitors had implied that she was? He characterized Gloria's promiscuity as untamed! I really find Gloria Grahame ravishing,a true seductress,she oozes sexuality in each of her performances and she seems so resilient when she acts. She is like a feline, really. However there is a certain sweetness and fragility in her and in the way her eyes sparkle. The way she flirts with the camera is very unique. She could be sexy, bubbly,humorous,warm,cattish,passionate, volatile...Gloria Grahame is an unforgettable femme fatale, a real actress,a woman who lived her life on the edge and seemed always to be ready to improve her craft and skills. She was incessantly alert!

by Anonymousreply 85November 4, 2012 10:39 AM

Yeah, why she broke up with her last husband? She was so sexy and he was a peach.

by Anonymousreply 86November 11, 2012 3:23 PM

Sexy Gloria.

by Anonymousreply 87November 14, 2012 5:17 PM

Post for her bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88November 16, 2012 12:43 PM

Love her in "It's a Wonderful Life." I hear that her final performance in "Chilly Scenes of Winter" is quite good.

by Anonymousreply 89November 16, 2012 1:05 PM

I loved her in 'The Cobweb'. How sensual and light she is in that movie. How light and sensitive too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90November 16, 2012 1:11 PM

Have you got anything interesting to say about tempestuous Gloria Grahame? I'm waiting!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91November 18, 2012 8:36 PM

God, post for her. I like her fire. What a pity she wasn't even bi. She had the temperature for being that but she probably wasn't. Anyway, she was something!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92January 12, 2013 11:55 AM

Why Joan Crawford didn't get along with Gloria Grahame during the filming of 'Sudden Fear'?

by Anonymousreply 93January 17, 2013 6:13 PM

Gloria Grahame was a SEX BOMB. I wonder if Howard Hughes slept with her, because i haven't ever read something of the kind and because Hughes had slept with most actresses of that era. So did he?

by Anonymousreply 94February 26, 2013 1:50 PM

Gloria Grahame scores huge upset win over Marilyn Monroe (1950's Era)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95February 26, 2013 1:54 PM

R94, no, Gloria hadn't a fling with Howard Hughes. Someone here called her a whore or something like that, but Gloria Grahame, in comparisons with other women of her craft was certainly not a whore. People just trashed her when she slept with her husband's son, Anthony Ray. Personally, i don't find it disgusting. Nicholas Ray, her husband was notorious for his bisexuality. Why you don't trash him as well? If he wasn't able to cover Gloria's needs and his eyes strayed on other men, you blame Grahame for what she did? Gloria Grahame was a passionate woman. She didn't cheat on Nicholas Ray with a tycoon or with a man of power who could advance her career. She slept with Anthony Ray because she needed to feel desirable again and she really liked Anthony, it was mutual, and it was not something that had to do with money or with her career. The fact that she married Anthony, denotes a lot. He was not just a fling to her. That marriage lasted more than all the marriages she had before.

Gloria Grahame was really sexy and knew how to kiss...She was not just after money and fame like like Paulette Goddard and like many many, many other actresses. Gloria Grahame was the kind of a girl who would take acting lessons after winning an Academy Award. Yes she did that, too! She was passionate, unpredictable and not as evil and cheap as her sexually ambivalent ex husband Nicholas Ray said that she was.

She was far more decent than other actresses who were sleeping around with everyone they thought they would advance their career or provide them with a super wealthy life. She was after money and glamour, but not in the obsessive way other actresses were. She is so underrated. People misunderstood her. She was insecure about her appearance and made a number of plastic surgeries on her lips but she was certainly not CHEAP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96February 26, 2013 6:00 PM

Gloria Grahame was the epitome of sexiness, no question about it. She was so coquettish, so kittenish! Teasing eyes and sensuous mouth and expression she had.

by Anonymousreply 97March 1, 2013 3:01 PM

Leaves crumbs in bed after you fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 98March 1, 2013 3:23 PM

Lol R98, what the hell could you possibly mean?

by Anonymousreply 99March 1, 2013 5:43 PM

Red-hot woman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100March 3, 2013 11:27 AM

Inviting Gloria...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101March 3, 2013 11:31 AM

Spicy, suggestive, seductive, LIBIDINOUS Gloria Grahame

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102March 3, 2013 11:37 AM

Sweet, sexy and kissable

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103March 3, 2013 11:50 AM

Lying in bed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104March 3, 2013 11:55 AM

Tempting most of the time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105March 3, 2013 11:59 AM

I loved her performances, her presence especially in these movies

The Cobweb

The Big Heat

The Bad and the Beautiful

Human Desire

Naked Alibi

Odds Against Tomorrow

Not As A Stranger

Crossfire

In A Lonely Place

Sudden Fear

A Woman's Secret

The Greatest Show on Earth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106March 3, 2013 12:12 PM

One of the sexiest actresses of Hollywood

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107March 13, 2013 11:26 PM

Someone has spent all day posting pictures of classic movie stars.

Robert Osborne, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 108March 14, 2013 12:05 AM

Lol R108...well, i say goodbye for today with this photo of Joan. I send it with much...love to you!

Joan Crawford in William Castle’s Straight-Jacket (1964)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109March 14, 2013 12:16 AM

She made movies with Bogart & James Stewart -- did she get along well with them? Did they like her?

by Anonymousreply 110March 14, 2013 12:22 AM

And Mitchum. They made several movies together -- she seems like his kind of gal, & vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 111March 14, 2013 12:35 AM

[quote]It's odd, because she is truly the epitome of an award winning supporting actress in the hair-raising "Sudden Fear" the same year.

I agree. I think her performance in "Sudden Fear" is the ultimate Gloria Grahame performance. She's just excellent. I'm sure the Oscar voters had her "Sudden Fear" performance in mind when they voted her the Academy Award that year.

If you haven't seen it, SEE IT! It's a great movie, and I think Joan, Jack Palance, and GG give the performances of their careers in it. It's a fun, stylish noir, that is wonderfully produced.

by Anonymousreply 112March 14, 2013 1:34 AM

I'm impressed with the civility of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 113March 14, 2013 2:00 AM

R110 i wish i knew about that and about her relationship with Mitchum. The only thing i know about Gloria's relationship with her co-stars is that she was smitten with Sterling Hayden while they were doing the 'Naked Alibi' together. She found him very attractive and she flirted him and as far as i remember from what i read, that scared him a bit. They didn't have an affair though, Sterling supposedly didn't give in.

Oh, i also know that she didn't get along with Joan Crawford in 'Sudden Fear'. I don't know the reason, but i remember reading somewhere that Gloria did something the moment Joan was doing her scene that distracted her and infuriated her. I would love though to know what and more about that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114March 14, 2013 8:11 PM

Wasn't the late, great, Susan Tyrrell like a 70's version of Grahame ? In looks, and inappropriate manner.

by Anonymousreply 115March 14, 2013 9:28 PM

Meh R115! Crazy dude. Lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116March 15, 2013 11:38 AM

Nice breast she had

by Anonymousreply 117March 15, 2013 4:05 PM

Check her out in this gem with Kojak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118March 15, 2013 4:30 PM

Gloria Grahame was absolutely sexy even in a older age. Yummy woman!

by Anonymousreply 119March 15, 2013 4:51 PM

Hey sexy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120March 22, 2013 4:09 PM

Totally fuckable even at this age (she is in her late 50's in that photo)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121March 22, 2013 4:14 PM

She was such a fantasy...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 22, 2013 4:15 PM

Nicholas Ray would later claim that he married Gloria only because she was pregnant, and their son, Timothy, was born give months after their wedding. However, the union was a rocky one from the start, and Grahame's sister Joy would later state that Ray was 'married to drinking, gambling, and drugs.'

By 1951, the couple had separated, with Ray telling the press,'I think we made a good try. In fact, we tried over and over again, but it just didn't come off.'

In August 1951, Gloria Grahame testified in court that her husband had beaten her on several occasions, and that he was 'sullen and morose and would go into another room when my friends came to the house. This made me so unhappy i lost weight and it hurt my acting.' The divorce was granted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123May 18, 2013 11:05 AM

Her third husband was the radio and television writer Cy Howard. She began dating him in April 1952, and although the courtship was by all accounts a stormy one, they were married while 'Oklahoma!' was still in production, on August 15, 1954. The guest list of the couple's lavish wedding included such Hollywood luminaries as Gary Cooper, Lauren Bacall, Kirk Douglas, Tyrone Power, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, and shortly after the nuptials, Cy Howard told the press,'This is not going to be a typical Hollywood marriage. It will be a marriage of love, respect and dignity.'

This lofty claim notwithstanding, the New York Herald Examiner ran an article in February 1955 about a rowdy argument between the couple at a Naples restaurant, and later that year, the Examiner revealed that Gloria Grahame, during a tour of Europe with her husband, 'took a pair of scissors and cut up Cy Howard's suits, shirt, ties, everything he owned.'

Although the couple would have a daughter, born on October 1, 1956, they separated and reconciled on several occasions, and a year after their daughter's birth, the marriage was over. Years later, actor John Ireland would observe, 'Gloria thought mostly of her work, and maybe Cy put that in the wrong perspective and was jealous of it. If that was the case, why marry an actress?'

Gloria with Cy Howard below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124May 18, 2013 11:41 AM

Marie Windsor about Gloria Grahame:'Gloria and i became friends. I liked her and she always seemed a little nicely off-the-wall to me.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125May 18, 2013 1:46 PM

Gloria Grahame takes a bath...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126May 23, 2013 9:41 PM

Nick Ray said that despite their troubles in the marriage, Gloria Grahame used her power to insure he would direct In A Lonely Place;

by Anonymousreply 127May 23, 2013 10:55 PM

"This old thing? Why, I only wear it when I don't care [italic]how[/italic] I look.

by Anonymousreply 128May 23, 2013 11:04 PM

R126, Gloria was an excellent kisser obviously

She knew how to start a fire.

by Anonymousreply 129May 24, 2013 12:06 PM

Gloria Grahame in The Naked Alibi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130May 24, 2013 2:19 PM

Marie Windsor and Gloria Grahame - now there are two great broads, r125

by Anonymousreply 131May 24, 2013 2:51 PM

Oh, yeah! Gloria was a flirtatious broad. She couldn't help it.

by Anonymousreply 132May 24, 2013 8:11 PM

It is interesting to read that GG was considered to be miscast as Ado Annie in OKLAHOMA. I loved that movie growing up and have judged every other Ado Annie performance by her high standard set in the film. She was so funny. I did not know her any other way until I caught her in THE BIG HEAT today on TCM. I needed to look her up to verify they (Ado Annie and Debby) were one and the same. It just goes to show what a terrific actress she must have been. The remaining members of the OKLAHOMA cast must have been good at their craft as the film is a joy to watch.

As completely creepy and disgusting as it may seem that GG was found in bed with her, then, 13-17 year old step- son (I've seen both ages floating around), it says something that she went in to marry him-- not her next marriage but the ine after that, and that it lasted 16 years (a long time for her) and produced 2 sons. We don't always understand what draws two people together. There was obviously a strong bond that forged between these two people that was neither "hot" nor "sick"; it transcended her being a cougar who "wasn't getting any " with Nicolas ray and Anthony being an adolescent victim taken advantage of for his over active hormones. It is a shame that the marriage ended just as she was being diagnosed with breast cancer. Would she still be with us if that relationship had flourished?

It will be difficult to watch OKLAHOMA and gaining that same joy now knowing about all the turmoil on the set. GG - she was the perfect Ado Annie and I look forward to catching some if her other work. I'm sorry she didn't get the mental health help that she needed and died too young.

by Anonymousreply 133July 9, 2013 5:09 PM

She was also so sexy and breezy in The Bad and the Beautiful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134July 11, 2013 11:40 AM

I bet she knew how to give a man a boner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 11, 2013 11:42 AM

The cotton lip is evident in the r130 clip.

by Anonymousreply 136July 11, 2013 12:07 PM

Cotton lip or not, R136, Gloria manages to stay super sexy there.

by Anonymousreply 137July 11, 2013 12:12 PM

Bette Davis(1939)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138July 11, 2013 12:14 PM

Oops wrong thread sorry. Lol!

by Anonymousreply 139July 11, 2013 12:17 PM

To me Gloria is at her best in 'The Cobweb'

She delivers such a great and she is so funny, sexy, restless and insecure there. This role really becomes her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 11, 2013 12:24 PM

Thanks to whomever bumps this thread from time to time. I love her. I really want to know what happened to her kids and her stepson/husband.

by Anonymousreply 141July 11, 2013 12:49 PM

[quote]Caught in bed with her stepson by her husband, wasn't it?

She just couldn't say no.

by Anonymousreply 142July 11, 2013 1:23 PM

W&W for 142!

by Anonymousreply 143July 11, 2013 11:19 PM

R141, i would also love to know what happened to her kids and to her last husband. Unfortunately i can't find anything about it.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the photos. I like this stuff too. :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144July 13, 2013 11:05 AM

Utterly feminine!

by Anonymousreply 145July 16, 2013 1:01 PM

Never a dull moment with Gloria Grahame around, that's for sure. Never saw a movie of hers yet in which she didn't either steal it or at least make her presence known!

by Anonymousreply 146July 18, 2013 4:48 AM

Yes R146, you got it! :)

Gloria was simply amazing.

by Anonymousreply 147July 19, 2013 4:58 PM

Gloria at a mature age.

Her playful lovely eyes remain the same

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 30, 2013 7:43 PM

Luscious Gloria, full of caprices.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149July 30, 2013 7:50 PM

"I always get Gloria Grahame confused with Gloria DeHaven. But DeHaven never fucked her step-son."

This may be the best thing ever written on DL.

by Anonymousreply 150July 30, 2013 8:02 PM

R51, thanks for reminding re GG in Chilly Scenes of Winter.

Disagree, tho, with you (and everyone else?): thought it was a fine film. Best work by JH.

by Anonymousreply 151July 30, 2013 8:06 PM

Big deal she slept with the the son of her ex. So?

She made Anthony happy, there is nothing wrong about it. Nicholas Ray was not the right man for Gloria. Does that ring a bell to you? He was a notorious bisexual man and he had the nerve to trash Gloria to other people, presenting himself as the victim of this relationship. I don't think he was honest with the situation and with his ambivalent feelings toward women. Gloria was the honest, insecure wild cat, God bless her soul and memory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152July 30, 2013 8:13 PM

That's a beautiful photo, R148.

by Anonymousreply 153July 30, 2013 8:16 PM

The pic in r152 is from a film called "The Glass Wall." (Think the U.N. building)

The young hunk in the chair is none other than "Jerry Helper" (Jerry Paris) from "The Dick Van Dyke Show." He died way too young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154July 31, 2013 2:36 AM

If you look at the cast credits for The Glass Wall, you will see that Kathleen Freeman was also in the film. That means that three of the actors in the film were also in the Van Dyke sitcom. Paris, Freeman and the man in that pic who is interrogating GG. He is an actor named Barney Phillips and he played a detective in the episode where the Petries are robbed by a cat burglar.

by Anonymousreply 155July 31, 2013 2:46 AM

Thank you for making this thread, I am very interested in old actresses! I wasn't familiar with Gloria before. What a crazy life she lead.

by Anonymousreply 156July 31, 2013 4:20 AM

:)

by Anonymousreply 157July 31, 2013 11:03 AM

Gloria Grahame with baby Timothy and husband Nicholas Ray

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158January 15, 2014 5:35 PM

I know that Bogey beat her up in "In A Lonely Place", which is one of my all time favorite flicks.

by Anonymousreply 159January 15, 2014 5:41 PM

Gloria was so hot, wasn't she? So feminine...

by Anonymousreply 160January 15, 2014 5:47 PM

I KNOW THAT SHE WAS FUCKIN' SEXY!

by Anonymousreply 161January 19, 2014 10:54 PM

I'll bet she sucked cock like a pro.

by Anonymousreply 162January 19, 2014 11:49 PM

Gloria Grahame, what a broad! What a gigantic talent!

She always electrified the screen with her dangerous sexiness. She was never predictable, even after seeing her movies numerous times, she continues to surprise me. She's the perfect film noir "bad girl". She was hardboiled and brassy, yet, somehow vulnerable. Total paradox. Even her most toughest of roles, you just wanted to protect her from herself.

by Anonymousreply 163January 20, 2014 3:20 AM

R163, yes, you got it! Very nice description of Gloria.

R162...ew...

R161, YES SHE WAS FUCKIN' SEXY, indeed!~~~~~~

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164January 20, 2014 6:01 PM

Naughty eyes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165January 21, 2014 11:10 AM

Do you think that she ever fall in love with Nicholas Ray? For some reason i doubt that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166June 13, 2014 9:10 PM

GLOOOOORIA GLOOORIA

HERE COMES MY BABY GLOOOOORIA GLOOOOORIAAAA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167July 29, 2014 7:16 PM

Just saw The Big Heat again. Gloria was everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168March 15, 2015 10:30 PM

She was all sex & a whispery, vulnerable voice, in "In A Lonely Place" with Bogie.

by Anonymousreply 169March 15, 2015 10:53 PM

Gloria Grahame, one of the sexiest broads of all time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170March 16, 2015 1:16 PM

Gloria Grahame won the oscar for her weakest performance.

by Anonymousreply 171April 24, 2016 2:04 AM

It's time to bump this thread because Gloria Grahame is everything.

We are Gloria Grahame!

by Anonymousreply 172March 3, 2018 3:21 AM

Looked like a hardened street whore.

by Anonymousreply 173March 3, 2018 3:41 AM

I can't believe all you homoes are raving about this weird woman!

I thought she was weird. Her mouth made her speech so incomprehensible that I always get the urge to slap her for her ridiculous baby talk.

Another weird thing about her was her appearance in the British spy film, 'The Man Who Never Was'. When you look at it you can see her face has this weird shiny film over it— like sweat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174March 3, 2018 3:41 AM

She wound up having a "nervous breakdown" after the marriage to Tony and had electroshock therapy. Somehow Gloria having shock treatment after marrying her stepson seems somehow normal for her.

"Chilly Scenes of Winter" is actually very good, esp. for a film where the protagonist is basically a stalker. It was one of John Heard's better performances, back in the days before he had become bloated.

by Anonymousreply 175March 3, 2018 3:43 AM

Was she murdered?

by Anonymousreply 176March 3, 2018 3:48 AM

Excuse me, but why hasn't my Oscar-bait performance as Gloria been mentioned?

by Anonymousreply 177March 3, 2018 5:43 AM

Here's Gloria as a junkie in Burke's Law tv series.

LOVE HER

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178March 3, 2018 8:23 AM

I highly recommend the biography Suicide Blonde about Gloria. She had an incredible life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179March 3, 2018 8:25 AM

Here is the E! Mysteries & Scandals on Gloria. It's one of the better episodes of that series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180March 3, 2018 8:29 AM

I always liked Grahame’s Ado Annie in “Oklahoma,” particularly the widescreen Todd-AO roadshow version, which was filmed in the morning, and is really a revelation, with different camera angles and even editing.

The more widely shown widescreen CinemaScope version, and long the only one available for both TV and video, was shot in the afternoon, and just doesn’t have the same energy, or editing. They’re really two quite different versions of the same production.

And I love Grahame in “The Man Who Never Was,” when the entire plot depends on her believability, and she carries off the scene so movingly. She’s magnificent.

by Anonymousreply 181March 4, 2018 2:10 AM

[quote]As completely creepy and disgusting as it may seem that GG was found in bed with her, then, 13-17 year old step- son (I've seen both ages floating around), it says something that she went in to marry him-- not her next marriage but the ine after that, and that it lasted 16 years (a long time for her) and produced 2 sons. We don't always understand what draws two people together. There was obviously a strong bond that forged between these two people that was neither "hot" nor "sick"; it transcended her being a cougar who "wasn't getting any " with Nicolas ray and Anthony being an adolescent victim taken advantage of for his over active hormones. It is a shame that the marriage ended just as she was being diagnosed with breast cancer. Would she still be with us if that relationship had flourished?

He was 13; she was 27. I don't know where those people got 17, because by the time he was that age, Gloria had been married to her third husband Cy Howard for one year. At any rate, Gloria and Anthony reconnected a year after her divorce from Howard. He was 20; she was around 34 by then. But he had just turned 13 when they were first fucking. People who are romanticizing this union remind me of the fraus who romanticize Mary Kay Letourneau.

by Anonymousreply 182August 17, 2018 10:47 PM

I think she was great also, pure sex..steals every scene she was ever in. I read 2 books about her a while back. I dont really see anything wrong with sleeping with the stepson. It happened while she was still married to Nicholas Ray tho and he walked in on them in Malibu. She married Anthony Ray and was married quite a while..........At the end, she refused to fully treat her breast cancer and it was fatal. She was somewhat estranged from her kids at the time and was living in London. Finally her last, much younger boyfriend called her children and they flew to England during the last days of her life and forced her to fly back to NYC. She didnt die on the plane but she went from the airport to the hospital and died right after being admitted. She once said that each one of her husbands had hit her. Her life wasnt boring, but it wasnt exactly easy either.

by Anonymousreply 183August 17, 2018 11:49 PM

Incidentally, Anthony Ray (the son) just died last month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184August 18, 2018 8:51 PM

Christina Applegate looks like her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185October 24, 2019 1:36 AM

If you haven’t listened to the You Must Remember This podcast about Gloria Grahame, you should, the classic Hollywood podcast in its entirety is really well done. Just came back from a really long hiatus, thankfully!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186October 24, 2019 1:59 AM

I know she had an affair with her young stepson while she was married to Nick Ray and it drove him mad. He caught them in bed. I believe the son was only fifteen. She married him and they stayed married for about ten years. She was glorious. A dish. A real broad. The botched plastic surgery on her mouth just made her sexier in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 187October 24, 2019 2:07 AM

Yikes. I just read the other posts. I remember reading that the son was just 13 but I wasn’t sure. Maybe he looked fifteen;)

by Anonymousreply 188October 24, 2019 2:10 AM

It's Gloria Graham week at my house. Tonight I'm watching The Big Heat.

by Anonymousreply 189October 28, 2019 11:34 PM

I didn't realize the step-son, Anthony Ray, was in the John Cassavetes film Shadows!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190October 28, 2019 11:45 PM

Was probably the first person to swear on live television in 1953. When she won her Oscar for The Bad and the Beautiful for BSA 1952 she stumbled on the stairs and said "Oh shit!"

by Anonymousreply 191October 29, 2019 12:23 AM

Ms. Grahame died at (closed and now luxury condos) Saint Vincent's hospital in Greenwich Village NY, within a few days of being admitted.

The lady was ill with cancer and abroad when took a turn for worst IIRC. Her family (the children) flew to Europe and brought her back to NYC, but it was too late.

My favorite GG film was "Human Desire" starring also Glenn Ford and Broderick Crawford

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192October 29, 2019 12:40 AM

GG excelled at playing women who made men feel dirty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193October 29, 2019 12:42 AM

No wonder she visited the surgeon's office.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194October 29, 2019 1:54 AM

She reminds me a little of (a surged) Dorothy Tutin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195October 29, 2019 1:58 AM

Have fun, R189!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196October 29, 2019 2:07 AM

Frank Capra wrote in his memoir that he cast GG in “Its a Wonderful Life” as a favor to an agent friend, something like “I got this dame sitting around snapping her garters.”

by Anonymousreply 197October 29, 2019 4:20 AM

Jennifer Tilly has a Gloria Graham vibe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198November 2, 2019 11:44 PM

GOT THE CHEAPEST VERSION OF THAT BIOGRAPHY OUT THERE FOR $30.00! PSYCHED AND IT WILL BE MY THANKSGIVING READING!!

by Anonymousreply 199November 3, 2019 12:01 AM

I always get her confused with Gloria Loring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200November 3, 2019 12:11 AM

Adorable Jamie Bell showing he still has his “Billy Elliot” rhythm!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201November 3, 2019 8:35 PM

No wonder she could make a man feel dirty. I can see her dirty pillows right through that sweater @r193. The lighting director sure knew what he was doing.

by Anonymousreply 202November 9, 2019 10:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!