Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are some good gay movies on the Netflix?

Latter Days was okay but this other one is tired.

by Anonymousreply 189August 25, 2018 12:07 AM

Beautiful Thing

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2010 3:04 AM

You know, we often lampoon LOGO here (and rightly so) but I don't think Here! TV is much better. Most of the movies it offers are shit and so are its original series (tired reruns of shit they produced 2 or 3 years ago and haven't bothered to make new episodes since).%0D %0D I'm seriously thinking of taking it off my Time Warner account because it's really not worth paying for.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2010 3:10 AM

I've seen the Beautiful Thing and I liked it a lot.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2010 3:17 AM

Wonderful lesbian movie: Pariah

Black teenage lesbian comes of age. Excellent.

by Anonymousreply 4March 20, 2013 6:17 PM

What makes you think the OP would want to watch dykes, R4? OP is clearly gay since he stated that he liked Latter Days.

by Anonymousreply 5March 20, 2013 10:15 PM

Undertow (Peruvian)

Eyes Wide Open (Israeli)

Weekend (British)

The most recent one is Keep the Lights On which is decent but not in a class with those 3 recent great ones.

by Anonymousreply 6March 20, 2013 10:20 PM

Oh R4 I have been waiting for that (didn't realise it was lesbian themed either but there's the title) but it hasn't been given a UK release. Some films like The Messenger weren't released till like 2 years theatrically or otherwise.

High Art is the last word in dyke films I'd say, from the director of The Kids Are All Right and much better than that. This is low budget indie tastica with some hot guys. One who ended up in Revenge I was shocked to see.

by Anonymousreply 7March 20, 2013 10:23 PM

Brokeback Mountain

by Anonymousreply 8March 20, 2013 10:25 PM

La Mission

by Anonymousreply 9March 20, 2013 10:36 PM

R6, "Weekend" was a piece of shit. Waste of time and money.

by Anonymousreply 10March 20, 2013 10:38 PM

Shelter

by Anonymousreply 11March 20, 2013 10:38 PM

"The Wise Kids" wasn't too bad. The better gay-themed movies tend to be foreign. The American ones tend to be about privileged white narcissists whining about how hard it is to find a decent boyfriend and their slutty friends.

by Anonymousreply 12March 20, 2013 11:05 PM

Undertow was OK. The guys were hot. Shelter isn't on Netflix, at least the instant viewing.

by Anonymousreply 13March 21, 2013 5:21 AM

Bangkok Love Story (Thailand)

A little over the top, but I enjoyed it. I cried at the end, but it may have been in the mood I was in.

by Anonymousreply 14March 21, 2013 6:04 AM

Girls Will Be Girls is on Netflix and its HILARIOUS!

by Anonymousreply 15March 21, 2013 1:15 PM

Is Patrick 1.5 any good? Netflix recommends it for me, but I hate movies that are heavy on agenda.

by Anonymousreply 16March 21, 2013 1:17 PM

It was pretty good, r16. I would say it wasn't too agenda-ey. Some sweet moments, some funny ones.

by Anonymousreply 17March 21, 2013 1:22 PM

I loved Weekend (especially when watched with subtitles), Undertow and my recent obsession Keep the Lights On which I found especially touching for some reason. I had read the autobiography of the other party in the relationship (Portrait of an Addict as a Young Man by Bill Clegg which was harrowing)so it was interesting to see the other half covered in a semi-fictional way. The leads were very effective as well especially the Danish actor who portrayed the filmaker. One movie from awhile ago that was very interesting in a cultural way was The Bubble from Israel which was about gay life in Tel Aviv and the relationship between Jews and Palestinians within that bubble.

by Anonymousreply 18March 21, 2013 1:25 PM

Thanks, R17. I might check it out on a lazy Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 19March 21, 2013 1:27 PM

Nate & Margaret

by Anonymousreply 20March 21, 2013 3:48 PM

Good ones in the last year:

North Sea, Texas Morgan

by Anonymousreply 21March 21, 2013 5:48 PM

I concur with R17, Patrik 1.5 isn't great - I give it 6 or 7 out of 10 - but is worth seeing. It's very likeable.

by Anonymousreply 22March 21, 2013 5:55 PM

It is crazy how difference taste can be. I can't imagine how anyone can think "Weekend" is crap, I think it is clearly one of the most impressive gay-themed movies.

Then again, other people like Latter Days which I think is obviously a crap movie in spite of nice eye candy.

by Anonymousreply 23March 21, 2013 5:59 PM

Latter Days is clunky as hell but I loved it. The story and screenplay has a very fanfic feel to it.

by Anonymousreply 24March 21, 2013 6:03 PM

Films are the most subjective thing aren't they, much more so than music I'd say.

Maybe since there are so many factors in you liking them, they're longer than a whole album and TV show requiring attention span/watching on DVD vs full cinema experience etc.

I do think it's been something of a golden age for gay cinema though. I don't remember so many quality ones coming out around the same time. It was rare before.

by Anonymousreply 25March 21, 2013 6:06 PM

I know I am in the minority but I liked DREAM BOY although I hear that the novel is better.

by Anonymousreply 26March 21, 2013 6:13 PM

Longhorns is sexy and funny.

by Anonymousreply 27March 21, 2013 6:16 PM

I don't know if they're available via streaming (that's not how I watch movies), but some recent ones that I loved (aside from the previously mentioned Weekend, Undertow and Keep the Lights On):

The String -- Young man returns to Tunisia to care for his elderly mother (Claudia Cardinale) and falls for the hunky gardener.

The Green -- In a small southern town, an openly gay high school teacher is accused of molesting a student; a bit preachey, but a solid cast.

Oh, you might definitely want to check out Patrik, Age 1.5, as Hollywood is currently prepping a remake.

by Anonymousreply 28March 21, 2013 6:16 PM

House of Boys I didn't like that much.

by Anonymousreply 29March 21, 2013 6:30 PM

Private Romeo, an updated version of Romeo and Juliet set in an all boy's school. A little ajrring when the Shakespeare prose kicks in but still worth a look.

by Anonymousreply 30March 21, 2013 6:41 PM

Powertool.

by Anonymousreply 31March 21, 2013 6:45 PM

I enjoyed Judas Kiss.

by Anonymousreply 32March 21, 2013 6:46 PM

I also recommend "The String (Le Fil). As an added bonus, it has the ultra-sexy Salim Kechiouche, who has played in many French gay movies (though he's straight).

by Anonymousreply 33March 21, 2013 7:55 PM

I like Private Romeo also R30 but it definitely isn't for everybody, of the people I tried to watch it with most couldn't get past them using the original shakesperian dialog in the out of context situation and these were well educated people also.

by Anonymousreply 34March 21, 2013 8:04 PM

If you're up for being depressed, rent Weekend, Undertow or Keep the Lights On. They all had good reviews but make you feel like crap afterwards.

If you want something more inspiring, check out Patrik 1.5 or The String.

by Anonymousreply 35March 21, 2013 8:48 PM

Just watched Patrik 1.5 - I loved it - thanks for the recommendation

by Anonymousreply 36March 22, 2013 2:44 AM

"Brotherhood" was unexpectedly satisfying for a gay film. It's a Danish film about gay neo-Nazis (so not quite PC), but whatever, the two leads were hot and it had more substance than most gay films.

by Anonymousreply 37March 22, 2013 2:49 AM

Girls will be Girls is a hoot Sassy Pants is really cute

Didn't like The Green Especially disliked the lead actor

by Anonymousreply 38March 22, 2013 3:01 AM

While we're at it, what are some good classic gay movies to watch - something like good old-fashioned 60's-70's erotica? I love stuff like "Score".

by Anonymousreply 39March 22, 2013 3:03 AM

Beautiful Thing is not showing in Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 40March 22, 2013 3:04 AM

By the way, Netflix selection of gay films is atrocious, which is why I cancelled my membership. They used to have everything now they have practically nothing.

Amazon.com has a slightly better selection but still pretty old.

Wolfevideo.com has a pay per view feature with some newer titles.

by Anonymousreply 41March 22, 2013 3:57 AM

According to Wolfe and/or TLA Video, you need to find the movies on the site, and if it's not available click on the green "save" button to put them into your "save queue." The more saves a movie that Netflix doesn't carry, the more likely it will be picked up.

I just wish Wolfe and TLA would just offer a streaming service instead of just selling the DVDs. I'd pay for that.

by Anonymousreply 42March 22, 2013 4:20 AM

R41, their gay selection is huge, sorry. Try the Search function.

by Anonymousreply 43March 22, 2013 4:35 AM

"Heartbeats" by the beautiful Xavier Dolan won a Palm at Canne, not in the main competition but still. It's Canadian French, but the story and cinematography are strong enough to carry an English speaking viewer the whole way through. You will laugh, you will identify with the characters and you will be totally satisfied that there's a gay film out there that has gay characters that just exist and don't get aids or become addicts or face impossible love. Well, I guess we will have to watch the movie to find if the last one is true. Here's the trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 22, 2013 4:52 AM

Have you seen "Longtime Companion"?

by Anonymousreply 45March 22, 2013 5:18 AM

Wolfe and TLA both have streaming services. TLA's list is really out of date because they want people to buy the DVDs. Wolfe has newer titles but only a select few.

And no, Netflix USED to have a huge selection of gay films but ever since the famous price hike/f#ck you to users, they have cut back significantly on what they carry, especially foreign and less-mainstream gay films. The "Save" function is pretty much useless because most smaller films will not get enough clicks to hit the threshold.

by Anonymousreply 46March 22, 2013 1:23 PM

I couldn't find this Brotherhood in streaming Netflix. There was one but it was about an American fraternity. The String isn't there either. I couldn't find the Wise Kids.

by Anonymousreply 47March 22, 2013 2:56 PM

"Toast" it's just wonderful. It's British and a period piece coming-of-age with a wonderful cast. It's free on YouTube,if you can't hookup you smart tv or watch on you laptop,I would highly recommend.

by Anonymousreply 48March 24, 2013 5:38 PM

Boy Culture and Open Cam are both terrific!

by Anonymousreply 49March 25, 2013 10:48 PM

I watched "Gayby" the other day and found it to be not as bad as I thought it would be. Enough cute guys and funny moments to make it enjoyable. But the lead actress under-eye bags were so distracting!

by Anonymousreply 50April 7, 2013 5:39 AM

Shelter is one of the best gay movies I've ever seen. I didn't really expect to like it much due to the age difference between the actors, but it's a very nice feel good movie.

Going Down in Lala Land is pretty decent. Has some weird parts where the director or producer inserted himself into the film(don't they all?) but other than that it was entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 51April 7, 2013 5:42 AM

North Sea Texas is a really good one I loved it so much!!

by Anonymousreply 52August 3, 2013 11:21 PM

Open Cam was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 53August 3, 2013 11:30 PM

I'll take GIRLS WILL BE GIRLS for the seventh time over most tedious "serious" gay movies with the usual angst and social difficulties (and gauzy sex scenes with perfect bodies).

by Anonymousreply 54August 4, 2013 12:04 AM

Not Another Gay Movie.

It's a spoof on American Pie. If you want cheap, juvenile humor, it delivers.

by Anonymousreply 55August 4, 2013 12:16 AM

It's actually Another Gay Movie and it apparently was removed from streaming recently because I streamed it not that long ago.

by Anonymousreply 56August 4, 2013 12:17 AM

Have no idea what is or is not available on Netflix, but here are five that I really liked -

Plan B (Argentina) Undertow (Peru) Mixed Kebab (Turkey/Belgium, I think) Guys and Balls (Germany) 9 Dead Gay Guys (UK)

by Anonymousreply 57August 4, 2013 12:33 AM

These are "watch instantly"

Eyes Wide Open

Yossi & Jagger

Edie & Thea.. Excellent documentary

Eating Out Movies have lots of good one liners for laughs

by Anonymousreply 58August 4, 2013 1:03 AM

Poor dear R10, was it the lack of chase scenes or the fact that there was no campy dialogue while shopping? WEEKEND was a fucking masterpiece, but it did require a little intelligence and maturity.

by Anonymousreply 59August 4, 2013 1:11 AM

I've probably watched a few hundred gay movies.. most of them were crap, but there was definitely some gems too.

Shelter

Latter Days

Maurice

Wilde

East Side Story

Milk

A Single Man

War Boys

Get Real

Beautiful Thing

Summer Storm

Touch Of Pink

Mambo Italiano

Sassy Pants

Is It Just Me

Straight Jacket

Dorian Blues

The Curiosity Of Chance

Movies I'm looking forward to: Five Dances, Geography Club, GBF.

by Anonymousreply 60August 4, 2013 1:12 AM

R35 tells us:

"If you're up for being depressed, rent Weekend, Undertow or Keep the Lights On. They all had good reviews but make you feel like crap afterwards."

No, dear, they make YOU fell like crap. Don't tell us how to feel afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 61August 4, 2013 1:12 AM

I agree about BROTHERHOOD, and it stars the same great Dane who's in KEEP THE LIGHTS ON.

by Anonymousreply 62August 4, 2013 1:14 AM

/

by Anonymousreply 63August 4, 2013 2:42 AM

"Edge of Seventeen" is a gay coming of age film with a superb l80's soundtrack. The male lead goes through the classic rites such as getting up the courage to actually enter the gay bar that he's driven by so many times. It covers his first relationship and gradual acceptance of who he is.

by Anonymousreply 64August 4, 2013 3:07 AM

Gawd, I thought GIRLS WILL BE GIRLS was AWFUL!

by Anonymousreply 65August 4, 2013 3:22 AM

This Yahoo group is still active and the owner, BigBearPHX, offers pretty good reviews of current DVD releases.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 4, 2013 4:26 AM

I'm partial to South American gay movies:

Undertow

Burnt Money

Still two of my faves.

"Walk on Water" is about a lotta things, but many gay characters. Quite nice.

by Anonymousreply 67August 4, 2013 5:36 AM

Sort of a cult classic, r64. And I recently recognized the lesbian from the film in "Orange Is the New Black".

If it hasn't been mentioned, it would be criminal to leave off "Get Real". You can watch the film on YouTube, I'm linking to it. One of the leads is hotter than Henry Cavill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 4, 2013 5:39 AM

Try "Broken Hearts Club" and "Coffee Date".

by Anonymousreply 69August 4, 2013 7:48 AM

My Beautiful Laundrette?

by Anonymousreply 70August 4, 2013 8:55 AM

R64, Edge of Seventeen is a good movie. I also forgot to mention I Do. It's a fairly new movie, and it's definitely worth the watch.

by Anonymousreply 71August 4, 2013 10:34 AM

I saw a pretty good one last night.

It's called "Morgan" and it's about a newly disabled guy in a wheelchair that falls in love again. It's definitely not the most professional or even technically proficient production I've ever seen, and there are a few cliches (sassy fat black girl as best friend) but for me it worked because it makes you really feel something for the two characters, the leads are appealing and attractive and not in a cliched gay movie pretty boy way, and the gay angle is almost secondary to the story about a young guy who's paralyzed and trying to get his life back.

This is something you've never seen before in gay film, I thought it was a very special movie and I highly recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 72August 4, 2013 12:51 PM

The lesbian movie Perfect Endings was good....

by Anonymousreply 73August 4, 2013 12:55 PM

I thought 'Morgan' was wonderful for the first 45 minutes. Great characterization and honest performances.

Then it got real weird, the tone changed and it was all about the bratty drama and the character I adored became unattractive (and disingenuously portrayed). Great acting then horrible acting. Great screenplay then horrible screenplay.

But that's just my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 74August 4, 2013 12:59 PM

R73, OP asked for GAY movies, not lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 75August 4, 2013 1:15 PM

This movie looks really good.. Geography Club

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 4, 2013 1:42 PM

Thanks for the North Sea, Texas recommendation. Just watched it this morning. Liked it a lot.

by Anonymousreply 77August 4, 2013 1:55 PM

How about movies with nonstereotypical bi and gay men? How about some bi/gay football player, soldier, and frat movies.

by Anonymousreply 78August 4, 2013 2:13 PM

I'm amazed 'Prick Up Your Ears' is never mentioned on these gay movie threads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 4, 2013 5:02 PM

I saw on Amazon prime, perhaps it is on Netflix

Yossi an Israeli film with sub titles. Nice bits of bits.

by Anonymousreply 80August 4, 2013 6:22 PM

Fair enough, r74. I thought the end when Morgan spazzed out and became unlikeable it was an interesting choice because it kept him from being a "noble cripple." It seemed real. Sometimes we're all bratty and childish and selfish and lash out at those who love us. I think it was truthful because it was indicative of the pressure he was putting on himself to become the "old him" again. It worked for me.

Not to be mean, but where on EARTH did they find that gargoyle who played his mother? THAT was the best they could do? That actress had to have been calling in a favor, or pitched in $$.

by Anonymousreply 81August 4, 2013 6:59 PM

In The Family. It is an hour too long, but very well done.

by Anonymousreply 82August 4, 2013 10:36 PM

Urbania. Wet Hot American Summer. Edge of Seventeen. Before Night Falls.

by Anonymousreply 83August 4, 2013 10:44 PM

I was surprised they have Taxi Zum Klo, complete with cumshots, rimming and golden showers.

Sebastiane is tedious, but it has a really hot scene with two Italian looking guys frolicking in the ocean.

House Boys isn't great, but has its moments.

by Anonymousreply 84August 5, 2013 2:20 AM

I'll have to check out Taxi Zum Klo. I'm going watch Head On later tonight.

by Anonymousreply 85August 6, 2013 12:12 AM

If you want to cry your eyes out, then watch the new Australian movie Monster Pies. Such a good movie, made on an obvious small budget. It was soooo good though. One of the best gay movies I've watched in years. It does NOT have a happy ending, but the movie is still so beautiful and real and just overall incredible. Some raw emotions there. I'd definitely recommend it. It's not on Netflix, but it is out on DVD. Please check it out. I swear, you won't regret it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86December 1, 2013 9:23 AM

I really enjoyed CHRISTOPHER AND HIS KIND on NetFlix. Captivating background to Isherwood's creation of CABARET and lots of eye candy in the form of sexy boys in the Berlin of the 1930s.

by Anonymousreply 87December 1, 2013 9:40 AM

Why would you want to restrict your viewing to just gay flicks?

by Anonymousreply 88December 1, 2013 9:50 AM

C.R.A.Z.Y. French Canadian movie

by Anonymousreply 89December 1, 2013 12:27 PM

R88, who says the people on this thread ONLY watch gay movies? I don't. I watch a wide variety of movies, with both straight and gay themes. It's just nice to watch movies once in a while that we can relate to, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 90December 1, 2013 12:46 PM

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember really liking this movie "Lillies."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91December 1, 2013 12:57 PM

'Keep the Lights On' was beautiful. Someone said it was just decent? That's not the truth.

by Anonymousreply 92December 1, 2013 1:03 PM

In case some people would like to watch NEW gay themed movies, here's a short list of some movies that came out this year:

Five Dances

Freier Fall (Free Fall)

Geography Club

Monster Pies

Out In The Dark

by Anonymousreply 93December 1, 2013 1:05 PM

Yossi & Jagger was also great. Haven't seen Yossi yet. You can't go wrong with 'Get Real' and especially 'Beautiful Thing'. I haven't watched 'Weekend' yet. These are all world class movies, btw. Not good for gay movies, good movies...

by Anonymousreply 94December 1, 2013 1:07 PM

I've seen so many of these movies over the years and what I want now is a list of movies with GUARANTEED HAPPY ENDINGS. Yes! I want the boys to meet, fall in love, have problems, kiss and then live happily ever after. No. I'm not fricking shallow I've just had it with all the torture and doom and gloom. That's what real life is for! And god knows I have the antidepressants to prove it. Give me escapism. Please. Even Maurice - one of the very best if not THE best - has a supposedly happy ending but that last shot of Maurice's face as he holds a swooning Alec is all "Oh shit. What did I just do!"

That being said I LOVE Bent which I don't think has been mentioned. You can't get more brutal than a Nazi camp but the story is so moving and so beautifully acted that the inevitable end is a kind of happy release despite the tears.

by Anonymousreply 95December 1, 2013 1:17 PM

r95, I read a recent interview with the Danish filmmaker behind a new gay film called "North Sea, Texas," and he had the exact same complaint about gay films you do!

I haven't seen it yet but apparently it's his 'response' to that void. (though the preview doesn't look it! hmmm)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 1, 2013 1:37 PM

Keep the Lights On is fucking ghastly. Some of the most navel gazing, repulsive garbage from two of the most narcissistic, unattractive assholes to show their nasty asses on the NY scene.

Avoid.

by Anonymousreply 97December 1, 2013 1:46 PM

R95, out of the new movies I listed only ONE has a happy ending, it's Five Dances. I've seen it. It's a fairly good movie, with great dancing. It's a bit slow and "boring" at times though. Not much dialog at all. The cinematography is beautiful though, and the boys have chemistry. It was a nice enough movie.

There's many older movies that have happy endings too, like Beautiful Thing, Touch Of Pink, Make The Yuletide Gay, Just A Question Of Love, Breakfast With Scot, Straight Jacket, Shelter, Latter Days, East Side Story, Maurice, Wilde, Longhorns, Boy Culture, Noah's ARK: Jumping The Broom, Mambo Italiano, The Mostly Unfabulous Social Life of Ethan Green, The Curiosity of Chance, All Over The Guy, Trick, Guys & Balls.

You also have silly movies that are cute, romantic and funny, although of not high quality, like Is It Just Me, eCupid, Another Gay Movie.

by Anonymousreply 98December 1, 2013 1:52 PM

R96, that movie does indeed have a happy ending! I've seen it. It's a bit depressing at times, but cute and romantic too. I liked it. It's not one of my favorites movies, but it was good.

by Anonymousreply 99December 1, 2013 1:54 PM

Thanks, r99

by Anonymousreply 100December 1, 2013 1:57 PM

Oh, and I liked "Gayby".

by Anonymousreply 101December 6, 2013 5:53 AM

I can't believe no one has mentioned my absolute favorite "Parting Glances". I also loved "Fifth of July"--especially Swoosie Kurtz's character.

by Anonymousreply 102December 6, 2013 3:56 PM

I Killed My Mother, from Xavier Dolan (who also directed Heartbeats). Loved it. It's hard to believe that he is still in his early 20s and is already a triple threat (acting, directing & writing). He's quite a talent, and easy on the eyes to boot. Has anyone seen his latest film Tom at the Farm?

by Anonymousreply 103December 6, 2013 4:19 PM

Another vote for Head On. Powerful and realistic descent into drugs and alcohol, and plenty of hot sex scenes with a variety of characters. Hopeful ending, as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 104December 6, 2013 4:24 PM

[quote] I read a recent interview with the Danish filmmaker behind a new gay film called "North Sea, Texas," and he had the exact same complaint about gay films you do!

"North Sea, Texas" is actually Belgian (Flemish). I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 105December 6, 2013 6:12 PM

German film, "Summer Storm."

by Anonymousreply 106December 6, 2013 6:23 PM

I was amazed at the quality of STRANGERS IN US and NATE AND MARGARET.

I think I watched them for free on Logo's site, however.

by Anonymousreply 107December 6, 2013 7:37 PM

"Gone, but not Forgotten" was good. But stay away from "Phoenix" and other movies from the same people.

by Anonymousreply 108December 6, 2013 7:45 PM

Christopher and His Kind - based on the memoirs of Christopher Isherwood. Really well done

by Anonymousreply 109December 6, 2013 8:21 PM

There a great South African movie called Beauty. A new father -in -law becomes obsessed with his son-in-law. Some great scenes.

by Anonymousreply 110December 6, 2013 11:54 PM

Die Hard. Obviously, that's for the morgue to determine for certain, but an inspiring film and a worthy goal nonetheless. The sequel, Die Harder, really stretches the possiblity of stiffness after death to its limits. Fingers crossed.

by Anonymousreply 111December 7, 2013 12:03 AM

Try the thriller "House of Adam" -- like nothing else you've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 112December 7, 2013 12:06 AM

r97, that's what made Keep The Lights On such a powerful film, for me. Thore Lindhardt was brilliant and, in a just world, would've received a Best Actor Oscar nod.

I recently watched Loose Cannons, the most recent effort from Turkish-Italian filmmaker Ferzan Ozpetek; like so many of his previous films (Steam: The Turkish Bath; His Secret Life; Facing Windows), it's filled with beautiful men and broad characterizations -- in this case, an Italian family whose fortune is based on the production of pasta; a son comes home to reveal he's gay, only to have his brother come out first -- but, for some reason, I didn't find it as satisfactory as his earlier films. Still, much better than most American indie gay films.

by Anonymousreply 113December 7, 2013 3:34 AM

East Side Story

Role/Play

both have have that dreamy gay Steve Calahan in them. (Role/Play has the sweet David Pevsner in it as well)

by Anonymousreply 114December 7, 2013 3:46 AM

Hate Crime

by Anonymousreply 115December 7, 2013 3:46 AM

Everyone should check out "Geography Club", it just came out and its a great movie! Its available to rent on iTunes or check out the OnDemand service from your cable/satellite provider.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116December 15, 2013 6:22 AM

If not already mentioned:

Weekend

Plan B

by Anonymousreply 117December 15, 2013 6:36 AM

Can anyone identify this movie for me? I saw it years ago on one of the cable channels. It was about a man with three grown sons, all of them engaged in larcenous doings. One of the sons got rebellious and the father was going to crucify him. He was actually erecting a cross in the backyard.

It isn't a gay film, but the father ran around in britches without a shirt and he was very hot, so you could say it's of "gay interest." The sons weren't hot, but that father was a real daddy.

by Anonymousreply 118January 21, 2014 4:39 AM

google it, bitch

by Anonymousreply 119March 1, 2014 9:24 AM

I quite liked "David's Birthday", though it definitely does not have a happy ending, but it's beautiful.

I also found "For A Lost Soldier" to be profoundly moving, if slightly disturbing, but it still made me cry, and feel things I have not felt in a very long time.

I wish "Big Eden" would appear on Netflix, that's my favorite gay movie EVER.

by Anonymousreply 120March 1, 2014 9:52 AM

Benjamin Bratts "The Mission" is a devastating movie, a must see.

by Anonymousreply 121March 1, 2014 11:28 AM

Weekend

Four

Keep the lights on

by Anonymousreply 122March 1, 2014 11:30 AM

Monter Pies was a good movie. Really sad too though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123March 8, 2014 7:33 PM

Before Night Falls

by Anonymousreply 124March 8, 2014 7:41 PM

Noordzee Texas Belgium movie very good

by Anonymousreply 125March 8, 2014 9:18 PM

Gather 'round, girls, i have to share! Rubens Place is the worst gay or straight movie ever! God. The one drunken father scene is community theatre at its worst. Your mouth will drop, lol. And with so many plot holes you'd think you looking at a dolphin net. All this with this ugly actors. What were they thinking?

by Anonymousreply 126March 22, 2014 3:25 AM

"G.B.F." was a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 127March 22, 2014 8:07 AM

I concur with R113 re Director Ozpetek and suggest as well his excellent Saturno Contro (Saturn in Opposition). Hot men, wonderful story. Also Magnifica Presenza (Magnificent Haunting). Not quite as good as Saturno Contro or Le Fate Ignoranti (His Secret Life)......but close enough.

by Anonymousreply 128March 22, 2014 10:46 AM

I just saw this Polish movie. It was very good. It's not on Netflix though..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129April 2, 2014 4:57 PM

The documentary "I Am Divine" was released this week and it's terrific.

by Anonymousreply 130April 9, 2014 3:13 PM

I actually thought August was a pretty good movie. It has the older guy from Looking as the lead.

by Anonymousreply 131April 9, 2014 3:23 PM

Blue is the Warmest Color. Palme d'Or Winner last year.

by Anonymousreply 132April 9, 2014 3:49 PM

I really mean this everyone the best so far that really captures your heart is

Eyes wide open Out in the dark Hawaii It's just so amazingly done please watch Them great great movies that ur not going To stop thinking about them

by Anonymousreply 133May 4, 2014 2:21 AM

Four

by Anonymousreply 134May 4, 2014 2:29 AM

Any with hot masculine black or Latin dudes?

by Anonymousreply 135May 4, 2014 4:59 AM

Wish there were more bi/gay dude jock movies.

by Anonymousreply 136June 21, 2014 7:02 PM

I liked GBF.

Even better at covering similar ground is Date and Switch but I don't think that's on there.

by Anonymousreply 137June 21, 2014 7:17 PM

Stranger by the Lake has tons of nudity and sex, including an ejaculation scene. I found it on the dull side though and don't recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 138June 22, 2014 12:52 AM

Just watched Stranger by the Lake - thanks for posting about it

by Anonymousreply 139June 22, 2014 4:19 AM

200 American shows the advertising world for what it is.

by Anonymousreply 140June 22, 2014 4:30 PM

The Aussie should have been a lot hotter though.

by Anonymousreply 141June 22, 2014 4:31 PM

Some of the Eating Out movies are back on, including the most recent one.

by Anonymousreply 142June 22, 2014 7:01 PM

Eating Out is horrible. Filled with awful tired stereotypes, such as drag queens, feminine girly dudes, and excessive campiness. A horrible movie series.

by Anonymousreply 143July 19, 2014 4:51 PM

R143= tedious "gaybro" idiot.

by Anonymousreply 144July 19, 2014 4:56 PM

Paris Is Burning and I Am Divine are both well worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 145July 19, 2014 4:59 PM

Are you actually trying to argue the Eating Out series are good movies R144? That might be the first time I have seen someone claim that.

by Anonymousreply 146July 19, 2014 5:00 PM

No, I am not arguing that at all. They are not good, but not for the reasons stated in R143.

by Anonymousreply 147July 19, 2014 5:18 PM

Geography Club was lame.

by Anonymousreply 148July 19, 2014 7:49 PM

I watched FREE FALL last night. It's German with subtitles. I highly recommend it. Fantastic film.

by Anonymousreply 149July 19, 2014 7:52 PM

r143 is correct and r144 is an effeminate.

by Anonymousreply 150July 19, 2014 8:26 PM

And proud of it, shitstain.

by Anonymousreply 151July 20, 2014 2:59 AM

How sweet.

by Anonymousreply 152July 20, 2014 4:21 AM

Get Real

by Anonymousreply 153July 20, 2014 4:22 AM

Happy Sad. Two very hot actors. One of the two is very non-stereotypical and masculine. The other is a hot biracial dude.

by Anonymousreply 154July 20, 2014 4:42 AM

d

by Anonymousreply 155August 17, 2014 1:10 AM

Kickstarting for new gay mystery movie with Queer as Folk hunk Gale Harold playing gay again for the first time since the end of the show, and ATWT Van Hansis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156October 19, 2014 11:10 PM

Blue is the Warmest Color.

by Anonymousreply 157October 19, 2014 11:14 PM

Are there any bisexual dude movies?

by Anonymousreply 158October 27, 2014 2:09 AM

There's some Russian movie that was on YT that was bisexual MMF. It was a big deal apparently so it should be easy to find. Too boring for me though.

by Anonymousreply 159October 27, 2014 2:28 AM

d

by Anonymousreply 160January 20, 2015 12:43 AM

Is the Jack Wrangler documentary available?

by Anonymousreply 161January 22, 2015 11:21 AM

0:57....

1:07-1:10

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162April 14, 2015 11:26 AM

The Happy Sad is very good. Great to see bisexual male portrayals

by Anonymousreply 163April 14, 2015 11:55 AM

Cuatro Luna (Four Moons) is really good. It's about four gay men in different stages of life: adolescence, 20's, 30's and older... So much better then gay movies from the USA. And there is a lot of nudity...

by Anonymousreply 164April 14, 2015 12:04 PM

The Happy Sad

by Anonymousreply 165August 20, 2015 12:01 PM

I'd recommend Get Real on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 166August 20, 2015 1:01 PM

The Happy Sad has pretty crappy reviews on IMDB...

by Anonymousreply 167August 20, 2015 2:08 PM

R166 I liked Get Real a lot, too.

by Anonymousreply 168August 20, 2015 2:22 PM

Hhhf

by Anonymousreply 169September 5, 2015 9:01 PM

This is slightly weird and off topic, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Does anyone know about any gay movies featuring two friends (either where one is gay and one is straight, or they're both straight) who fall in love? What I mean is where one or both think they're straight only to discover they're not when they fall for each other?

I want to watch a movie like that, but can't think of any right now.

by Anonymousreply 170October 31, 2015 2:08 PM

No Night Is Too Long, based on a Barbara Vine/Ruth Rendell novel. From BBC about 10 years ago. Surprisingly frank sex scenes fr TV, and the suspense s intense.

by Anonymousreply 171October 31, 2015 3:06 PM

Room In Rome

by Anonymousreply 172October 31, 2015 3:18 PM

r170 Plan B

by Anonymousreply 173November 1, 2015 9:54 AM

LIHIS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174November 1, 2015 9:55 AM

Anything new?

by Anonymousreply 175January 4, 2016 5:03 PM

In the Grayscale, a Chilean movie with masculine, attractive actors, and a not too-depressing overall story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176April 30, 2016 4:13 PM

Most of us only have streaming Netflix

by Anonymousreply 177April 30, 2016 6:38 PM

Wow! This thread hasn't been updated since 2016!

Well, I've been on a LGBT+ movie-watching binge for Pride Month, so I've got a few good recommendations:

52 Tuesdays (Transgender) Being 17 (Gay) Bridegroom (Gay) Closet Monster (Gay) The Duke of Burgundy (Lesbian) From Afar (Gay) Little Men (Gay) Lovesong (Lesbian) Margarita with a Straw (Lesbian) Matt Shepard Is a Friend fo Mine (Gay) Naz & Maalik (Gay) North Sea Texas (Gay) Other People (Gay) Paris Is Burning (Gay/Transgender) Sand Dollars (Lesbian) The Summer of Sangaile (Lesbian) Tangerine (Transgender) The Way He Looks (Gay) Viva (Gay/Transgender) We Were Here (Gay)

by Anonymousreply 178July 1, 2017 11:15 AM

I saw a good French gay film, "Being 17" or something. About 2 boys who started off hating each other's guts and beating each other up, but then something maybe changes?..

by Anonymousreply 179July 1, 2017 11:25 AM

Think I'll quit watching the dreary It's Onlly ThE End Of The World and switch to Being 17.

by Anonymousreply 180July 1, 2017 11:45 AM

R179 Yes, I mentioned it in the post right above yours. It was really good. You should check out Techine's other film Wild Reeds, as well. It's not on Netflix, but it's gay and it's good.

by Anonymousreply 181July 1, 2017 11:58 AM

10 Year Plan is well done. Ditto Four Moons

by Anonymousreply 182July 1, 2017 12:18 PM

R182 4 Moons is great! And, Antonio Velázquez is hot in it. But, I disagree that 10 Year Plan is "well done." It's actually pretty awful.

by Anonymousreply 183July 1, 2017 12:23 PM

Just finished watching “Being 17” on Netflix. Excellent film, on par with “In God’s Country”, IMO. Great chemistry between the two leads (and a hot sex scene to boot!)

by Anonymousreply 184July 22, 2018 8:25 AM

I looked up 4 Moons and enjoyed it. Antonio Velázquez (Hugo) is delicious but his character was such a dick. The actor who played Andres was brilliant. Their relationship was so unhealthy that it was uncomfortable but compelling to watch. The guy why played Fito was great as well - the scene where he and Leo have sex for the first time is so unsexy but strangely sweet.

by Anonymousreply 185August 24, 2018 6:23 PM

I think they have a pretty good selection of gay films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186August 24, 2018 6:33 PM

Eastsiders

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187August 24, 2018 6:39 PM

freefall.its a german subtitled movie ,,,,,,but trust me its excellent........romantic, sexy, intense its on netflix by mail and I think its on the the streaming site too.....

another one is.....being 17........excellent, french subtitled, but that doesnt really subtract as its a universal story,

by Anonymousreply 188August 24, 2018 9:57 PM

netflix by mail? oh dear. :)

by Anonymousreply 189August 25, 2018 12:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!