Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Golden Girls Inconsistencies" and "Bizarre Golden Girls Lines and Logic" Threads

I had these threads saved in Favorites in my web browser, but when I just clicked on the links in order to send them to somebody, I got an error message saying "thread does not exist".%0D %0D PLEASE tell me these have not been lost forever! Does anybody have a link that works to them??%0D %0D WHY IS THIS SITE ALWAYS SO INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING TO NAVIGATE???

by Anonymousreply 11103/29/2014

Everything prior to April has been deleted for ever and ever.

by Anonymousreply 109/01/2010

I guess we'll just have to start over.

Why was a substitute teacher on the board of so many charitable organizations?

Why did Blanche's children have deep Southern accents if they grew up in Miami?

by Anonymousreply 209/01/2010

1 Dorothy was just a substitute teacher but she was also a bitch on wheels, the kind that boards need to raise money and support.%0D %0D %0D 2 Blanche's kid grew up in the "old" Miami, before the Cubans took over.

by Anonymousreply 309/01/2010

Enough with this eighties sitcom.%0D %0D Get a life and/or move on.%0D %0D But definitely grow-up.

by Anonymousreply 409/01/2010

"But definitely grow-up"%0D %0D Oh the irony...

by Anonymousreply 509/01/2010

Blanche was from Atlanta, not Miami, I guess the writers/producers/directors figured that someone from the "deep South" would have a strong southern accent. %0D %0D But if Blanche's kids' accents bother you, you could also ask why Dorothy's kids didn't have New York accents. Or why did all of Rose's friends from St. Olaf (with the exception of the three brothers who bring news of Rose's winning the St. Olaf citizen of the year award) seem normal and not a little off like her?

by Anonymousreply 609/01/2010

'Twas Woman of the Year award R6.

by Anonymousreply 709/01/2010

Blanche's grandson, David, had a totally Brooklyn accent.

by Anonymousreply 809/01/2010

Blanche has said that she raised her family in the house, in Miami. Also, when she found out George had fathered an illegitimate son, the trust fund he set up for him was set up in Miami, so the Devereauxs had been in Miami for about thirty years.

by Anonymousreply 909/01/2010

Have they ever established when Stan and Dorothy moved to Miami?

by Anonymousreply 1009/01/2010

I thought Dorothy moved to Miami after the divorce to get away from Stan. Once they got to Miami, Sophia was placed in Shady Pines and Dorothy moved into Blanche's home.

What happened to Coco? AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 1109/01/2010

Can we PLEASE euthanize the lonely old Golden Girls troll?%0D %0D Every aspect of the show, its writers, its success, its cast has been dicussed here for years and one person seems to be intentionally posting new threads on it each day.%0D %0D OP, what is it about this long dead television program which has you so obsessed? Why not just get the back issues and enjoy but leave the rest of us in the future?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1209/01/2010

Oh STFU R12.

It's better than all that Mad Men shit that gets posted endlessly every hour.

by Anonymousreply 1309/01/2010

I was overseas during much of the 80s and 90s so old TV shows are new to me. Also I was working and going to school in the 70s and missed much of that TV era.%0D %0D I recenly bought the first season of Golden Girls and am enjoying the heck out of it. I'm also into DVD sets of Remington Steele, Scarecrow & Mrs. King and The Mary Tyler Moore Show. They're better than the shlock on TV today. I watch just one episode of each, every week, as if I were back there in time.%0D %0D The dialog between Mary Richards and Mr. Grant, when she was applying for a job at the TV station, is one of the funniest moments on TV -- EVER!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1409/01/2010

R12, the Golden Girls is actually popular with a new generation. It's a timeless comedy, unlike "Friends."

by Anonymousreply 1509/01/2010

Bea Arthur was as times FEMALE in that show.

by Anonymousreply 1709/01/2010

This site is like the Democratic Party. Both assume that they can perform like shit for their gay supporters but it doesn't matter because the gays will keep coming back for more

by Anonymousreply 1809/01/2010

My impression was that Blanche and her husband moved to Miami after the kids were grown. Her daughter Rebecca lived in Atlanta, remember?

Sophia's accent was WAY off. She was supposed to have immigrated to America from Sicily as an adult, so why would she sound so Brooklyn Jew?

Betty White actually seemed to have a slight Minnesota accent (and certainly the right look, with her blonde hair and blue eyes) - despite the fact that she was actually raised in LA.

by Anonymousreply 1909/01/2010

[quote]she did not do a Sicilian-American accent, that was Brooklyn JEW all the way.%0D %0D Exactly like my cousins wife. She grew up Christian in Germany but her first home in the U.S. at age 22 was Brooklyn. She now lives in North Carolina and still sounds like a Brooklyn Jew - all the inflections, hand movements, etc. Nobody has a clue that she's from Germany. %0D

by Anonymousreply 2009/01/2010

My father's family all moved from Sicily to Brooklyn at different ages, and all but those who were children when they moved over maintained strong accents throughout their lives. Part of the reason was because Italian was still spoken in the home and in the neighborhood, so it was still their primary language.

by Anonymousreply 2109/01/2010

"Can we PLEASE euthanize the lonely old Golden Girls troll?%0D %0D Every aspect of the show, its writers, its success, its cast has been dicussed here for years and one person seems to be intentionally posting new threads on it each day.%0D %0D OP, what is it about this long dead television program which has you so obsessed? Why not just get the back issues and enjoy but leave the rest of us in the future?"%0D %0D Dude, that's exactly what I'm trying to do - see if anyone else has links that work since my links now say "Thread does not exist" (even though in the case of "The Golden Girls Inconsistencies" thread, it existed at that link for like three years). Your problem is with the webmaster (Editor?) - if he or she hadn't screwed with things, I wouldn't have had to post this.

by Anonymousreply 2209/01/2010

Don't sweat it OP. Let R12 invest in a better computer that has scroll bars so that he's not forced to open every thread.

by Anonymousreply 2309/01/2010

I vote for there to always be a Golden Girls thread running.

by Anonymousreply 2409/01/2010

W&W for R18

by Anonymousreply 2509/01/2010

The Golden Girls live in Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 2609/02/2010

The Gil Kesler episode was on this morning, it bothered me so much. Why would the media devote so much coverage to a city council election?

by Anonymousreply 2709/22/2010

Good point, r27. Since when do City Council races feature

A) reporters staking out a candidate's house

B) front-page coverage of a woman seen leaving the candidate's house

C) live television coverage of the candidate's press conference to address the rumor?

by Anonymousreply 2909/22/2010

I've always thought it odd that these ladies-who were on fixed incomes, basically-had a seemingly inexhaustible wardrobe of spectacular evening gowns.

by Anonymousreply 3009/22/2010

Supposedly, Dorothy had one Aunt and one Uncle. But Sophia mentions sleeping with several of her brother(s) in the old days, so there had to be more Uncles, at least.

by Anonymousreply 3109/22/2010

I never understood why they cast a man to play the part of "Dorothy."

Was that some sort of inside joke?

by Anonymousreply 3209/22/2010

You're right, r30, there was no consistency to their financial situation at all. As you say, they had all those beaded evening gowns, and were constantly going to charity benefits and galas which presumably had a hefty admission price. Yet in other episodes they're portrayed as practically living on the brink financially. Like in "The Auction" (the one where they bid on a painting by the artist they've found out is dying) - their roof is leaking and Dorothy says they can "barely afford a patch job", which they've been told costs a couple of hundred dollars. The three women between them can barely afford to scrape together a couple of hundred dollars??

(This is leaving aside the issue of - since when do renters have to split the cost of maintaining a house with the owner?)

by Anonymousreply 3309/22/2010

I'm glad this thread is back and despise complainers. There are dozens of threads on the side I never click on because they don't pull my interest, I don't go in them and whine.

I want to know why Blanche was always hard up for money yet she was getting all kinds of rent, probably something as a result of her husbands death, had a job herself and already owned the home???

by Anonymousreply 3409/22/2010

[quote]they had all those beaded evening gowns

Junior League Thrift Shop in Coral Gables.

by Anonymousreply 3509/22/2010

In Blanche's defense, r34, her "job", like the other two, seemed to consist of working about one day every other week.

But yes, presumably George should have left her pretty comfortable if he also had enough to set up a trust fund for his illegitimate son. It raises the question of why she was so strapped in the first place that she had to essentially open a boarding house.

And yet she thinks nothing of, for example, showing up at the airport and paying whatever they charged for a same-day round-trip cross-country airline ticket (on the "Grab That Dough" episode). And neither do a part-time grief counselor and a part-time substitute teacher (who, remember, is so strapped that she puts an ad in the paper saying she is willing to do anything for $8 an hour).

Also regarding Blanche's finances: I love how she received a bonus at work that was large enough to give Lillian $150 a month for however many more years Lillian lived. Since when does a museum award multi-thousand-dollar bonuses (in 1980s money, remember) to employees who barely qualify as part-time?

by Anonymousreply 3609/22/2010

"large enough to give Lillian $150 a month for however many more years Lillian lived"

The woman was practically 150 years old. Blanche wasn't risking much.

by Anonymousreply 3709/22/2010

I personally don't give a shit whether you post one golden girls thread a day of five hundred - because I'm an adult and I have this thing called "free will" that allows me to scroll past threads I don't care about and find ones I do - and with the sidebar feature, those threads never even have to leave my sight, making being a total cunt about things just that much harder.

But here you are, working your ass off at it anyway, god love ya.

by Anonymousreply 3809/22/2010

This thread is hilarious. Keep up the good work, guys!

by Anonymousreply 3909/22/2010

True, Lillian could have keeled over any day - but she also easily could have had another three or four years in her, which would have meant $5,400 to $7,200.

Of course, since they never mentioned her again, after a couple of months Blanche may just have "forgotten" to keep making the payments, leaving Lillian to be thrown out onto the streets.

Kind of like when Sophia convinced Martha Lamont not to commit suicide by promising her she can come over all the time - and then she is never seen again. Sophia specifically promised her they would spend Christmas together - and then the very next Christmas they all went to the church soup kitchen and cruelly forgot about poor Martha! And remember, Martha had no other friends or family. She probably ended up dying alone in her apartment with nobody even knowing she was gone until the neighbors started complaining about the smell! Nice, Sophia!

by Anonymousreply 4009/22/2010

It bothered me that they made a two-part episode about Dorothy's Chronic Fatigue Syndrome-which was a serious issue-and then never referred to it again. Dorothy apparently was symptom-free for the rest of the series run.

by Anonymousreply 4109/22/2010

I've warmed to the faux Empty Nest pilot episode. Hallmark ran it last night. There are SO MANY cringeworthy moments, it's actually become fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 4209/22/2010

Yup, r41. The disease was so severe that Sophia worried Dorothy might die from it - and then it was completely cured simply by the fact of her getting a correct diagnosis.

I know Susan Harris wrote that episode because she had chronic fatigue syndrome herself (and I guess wanted to bring attention to it as she had had struggles similar to Dorothy's in getting doctors to take it seriously). But I always wondered why she wouldn't feel it would kind of trivialize the disease since the show clearly planned it would disappear at the end of the episode.

by Anonymousreply 4309/22/2010

I also enjoy watching that episode because of its badness, r42. It's such a "What were they thinking?" feast. Who thought those stupid jokes about Rita's brother's multiple personalities were funny? Who thought that ugly, irritating girl who played the daughter would be an appealing person to watch on television every week?

It boggles the mind that Susan Harris could just have created four of the most popular and beloved characters in television history - and then turned around and thought THAT piece of dreck was a good script.

by Anonymousreply 4409/22/2010

I was always glad that when Susan Harris had those awful bouts with the shingles, she didn't have an episode with Rose getting the shingles.

by Anonymousreply 4509/22/2010

Re: Gil Kessler, why would three women without considerable or impressive means, help run a campaign for a politician they're not even terribly fond of, and hold a fundraiser at their house?

by Anonymousreply 4609/22/2010

Right - and two days before an election, isn't it more important for a candidate to be doing public events before as many voters as he can, rather than just the 9 or 10 extras populating the girls' fundraiser?

by Anonymousreply 4709/22/2010

How many fundraising/charitable boards were they on?!

*Gil Kesler's campaign

*Friends of Good Health Award (when all 3 get the flu)

*Bachelorette auction

*Save the Wetlands (HIV episode I think)

*Save the Dolphins (Dick van Dyke episode)

*Bob Hope episode

*Jake the caterer episode

*Citrus Festival (Big Daddy dies)

any others?

by Anonymousreply 4809/22/2010

I remember when Sophia's sister (played by Nancy Walker) was on, as Sophia's only remaining relative. Then, like a miracle, Uncle Angelo shows up years later.

by Anonymousreply 4909/22/2010

"And how come they had so many unannounced visitors who just showed up at the front door (even late at night) without calling first? Nobody ever called ahead on that show - they just came to the house and rang the doorbell. This happened constantly."

As a corollary of this, I swear there are examples of people showing up at their door who wouldn't have had any way of knowing their address. At first I was gonna say the Minnesotan hooker from jail, but I guess at some point later in the night after Sophia had left for Burt Reynolds, Rose could have given the hooker her last name, and then she looked Rose up in the phone book and got the address. But I feel like there are other times when somebody who wouldn't even have known the girls' last names just shows up at their door.

P.S. On the Minnesotan hooker - on her way to the airport, she pays her cab driver to take a detour to Rose's house to thank her in person? Instead of just picking up the phone? And it was probably an expensive detour, since I assume it was way out of her way - she must have lived in a very different part of town.

by Anonymousreply 5109/22/2010

Remember when they were post-op trannies?

by Anonymousreply 5209/22/2010

And who could forget the Burt Reynolds orgy.

by Anonymousreply 5309/22/2010

[quote]And speaking of houseguests, why didn't any of them ever stay at a hotel?

OMG, you would not believe how moving to Florida brings on the guests. A friend of my parents came, we thought for a weekend. I stayed at a neighbors house since this woman, a heavyweight, sort of took over my bedroom. She stayed on through the week, and then next weekend, and the next week. It was unreal. She was there for nearly a month.

When I was in college in the north (my parents' home was in Fort Lauderdale) it seemed that half the campus wanted to go home with me for Spring Break.

Houseguests on Golden Girls are not unusual for anything with a Florida locale.

by Anonymousreply 5409/22/2010

[quote]P.S. On the Minnesotan hooker - on her way to the airport, she pays her cab driver to take a detour to Rose's house to thank her in person? Instead of just picking up the phone? And it was probably an expensive detour, since I assume it was way out of her way - she must have lived in a very different part of town.

I think it had been established in an earlier episode via yet another visiting relative that Richmond Street was not too far from the airport. Like 10 or 15 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 5509/23/2010

"I think it had been established in an earlier episode via yet another visiting relative that Richmond Street was not too far from the airport. Like 10 or 15 minutes."

Making it even more bitchy of them to be so lazy that they won't put down the magazine, get up off the couch, and drive 10 minutes to pick up a relative from the airport

by Anonymousreply 5609/23/2010

Not to mention, if they do live that close...then why no engine roars from the sky?

Is Miami International that dead?

by Anonymousreply 5709/23/2010

I thought of more - The Save the Lighthouse foundation where they put on a telethon, and the Volunteer of the Year award, when Blanche's brother Clayton brings his boyfriend.

Not to mention all the community theater productions they were involved in - "Macbeth", "The Taming of the Shrew", "Cats", "The Sound of Music" and of course the "Picnic" spoof with Patrick Vaughn!

by Anonymousreply 5809/23/2010

The community theater episodes were some of the funniest.

by Anonymousreply 5909/23/2010

Hallmark just ran the Barbara Thorndyke episode, and bleeped the climactic line, "Go to Hell."

Now they're playing the Grab that Dough episode, but allowed Dorothy to say, "We'll look like Hell."

Who the hell's in charge of Hallmark's backwaters, double-standard censorship?

by Anonymousreply 6009/25/2010

r60, the censorship on the Hallmark channel IS ludicrous. In 2010 we have censorship of an 80s sitcom? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 6109/25/2010

Add another charitable board, fashion show chairman of the Tinkerbelles.

by Anonymousreply 6209/25/2010

Also, how were they invited to serve on the boards of so many charities and galas when (except for Sophia) they had no friends except each other, and never socialized with other women?

by Anonymousreply 6309/25/2010

It's been established that Dorothy and Rose can barely make ends meet in several episodes, so why do they devote so much time to doing charitable work? Why not get a second job?

by Anonymousreply 6409/25/2010

And yet the layers and layers of clothes that Bea wore must have cost thousands.

by Anonymousreply 6509/25/2010

[quote]And yet the layers and layers of clothes that Bea wore must have cost thousands.

No, they were very inexpensive.

by Anonymousreply 6609/25/2010

Why would a bride who finds out her fiance cheated on her just show up and ring the doorbell at her caterers' house at 3 a.m. to talk to them about it? And why would the fiance call the caterers at 3 a.m. looking for her? He just assumed that's where she would have gone?

by Anonymousreply 6709/25/2010

How come Rue and Estelle were the only ones whose shots in the opening credits were updated? Bea was the only one to sport drastically different hairstyles throughout the show's run, yet her pics were never updated.

by Anonymousreply 6809/25/2010

Why did this thread suddenly fizzle? Did all the GG fans depart for another forum?

by Anonymousreply 6910/07/2010

Thanks to r69 for bumping this! (I'm the one who just started another thread asking if anyone had the link to this.)%0D %0D Now I get to add my latest observation of Bizarre Golden Girls Logic: When Stan comes by to tell Dorothy about his open-heart surgery and Dorothy asks Rose to take her place on the double date with Blanche and the twins, Rose says she can't because she has to drive the bookmobile for the grief center.%0D %0D Why would a fucking grief center ever run a bookmobile service?? How could this possibly be a sensible allocation of its funds?

by Anonymousreply 7010/07/2010

R70 I thought it was amusing that while none of the girls like Stan, all four of them come to the waiting room for his hours-long bypass surgery.

by Anonymousreply 7110/07/2010

my 27 year old niece loves the golden girls. she makes her bf watch the dvd's with her, and he's only 20. poor kid.

by Anonymousreply 7210/07/2010

So true, r71. And that just makes it even more grating to me in the one where Sophia goes to the hospital with pneumonia and the doctor says she might die, and Dorothy tells the other girls to go home because she'd rather be alone, and they do. Sophia might DIE and Rose and Blanche just go home?? %0D %0D Yes, I understand that the whole plot of the episode depended on Dorothy being alone at the hospital (so Stan could come back and comfort her and she could decide she still loves him and has to stop his wedding).%0D %0D But REALLY, would it have been that hard for the writers to have built in to the plot some urgent reason that Rose and Blanche couldn't stay? Off the top of my head - how about the girls are expecting 20 guests for a charity breakfast at the house the next morning at 8 a.m. and they still have to cook the food? Then Dorothy could say, "It's the middle of the night and we can't get in touch with the guests to cancel. It won't do any good to have us all sitting in this waiting room - you girls go home and cook, and I'll call you if there's any change." BINGO! Then you have a legitimate reason for them to leave. (If I can think of this, why couldn't a full writing staff?)%0D %0D Instead, the fact that they leave and it's only Stan who is thoughtful enough to come back and see if she's changed her mind about being alone... it's just annoying to me how that makes Rose and Blanche seem callous and uncaring.

by Anonymousreply 7310/07/2010

One of the most far-fetched episodes has to be the one where Rose, after a near-death experience, starts running with a wild new crowd of "beach friends" and staying out all night with them. How the fuck does Rose meet these people? And they apparently like her, as they keep calling her up in the middle of the night. They're presumably young, since Blanche says, "They're like animals! All they do is party and carry on all hours of the night!" Why in hell would they be like, "Hey, we're partying - let's call up that old lady we met on the beach the other day!"

by Anonymousreply 7410/08/2010

In the Christmas episode when they're at Rose's counseling center and the pyromaniac asks Dorothy for a light, why does she have matches in her purse? Unless it was a thing back then that even non-smokers would carry around matches in case somebody needed a light, this seems ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 7510/14/2010

How many kids did Blanche and Rose have? Didn't the number fluctuate?

by Anonymousreply 7610/15/2010

R61, the cutting is not censoring content, they are shaving time to fit in more commercials. They do it very egregiously for I Love Lucy, too--when they show it.

by Anonymousreply 7710/15/2010

How many hospital/medical emergency episodes did they do? Off the top of my head:

- Dorothy needs to get the thing on her toe removed

- Stan has bypass surgery

- Rose dies and goes to heaven and comes back and moves out of the house

- Blanche gets a pacemaker

- Blanche goes in for plastic surgery but decides against it at the last minute

- Sofia gets pneumonia and almost dies

- Sofia gets hit on the head with a baseball

- Sofia is a candystriper

- Rose discovers her biological father is a patient at the hospital

- Blanche refuses to visit her beau when he goes to the hospital

- Rose's dog cheers up a hospital patient

- Miles gets plastic surgery/ the Pope visits the hospital

- Rose has heart surgery

by Anonymousreply 7810/15/2010

I can't imagine a modern show messing with the canon this way and not getting shit for it. Writers have to be pretty diligent these days.

That said, I love this silly, hilarious show!

by Anonymousreply 7910/17/2010

In addition to all the numerous contradictions of things established in previous episodes, there should be a separate category for when the writers, within one episode, would write things that were blatantly impossible time-wise.%0D %0D For instance, in the one where Rose gets the AIDS test, they come up with the idea for a celebrity auction on the day Rose gets the test. Then, the very next morning, they already have in their possession Susan Anton's compact and Jamie Farr's dress.%0D %0D Or the one where Sophia gets hit by the baseball - right before the game, Rose and Blanche are shown returning home from the audition for CATS. Sophia and Dorothy leave for the game, then go to the hospital, where Rose and Blanche come rushing in from rehearsal in their costumes. So not only did this show schedule a first rehearsal the very same day it held auditions, BUT it was a full dress rehearsal, in form-fitting costumes the costume designer had apparently tailored in the few hours since the audition?%0D %0D Yeah, they wanted the great sight gag of Rose and Blanche in cat costumes - but then why write it so they're returning from the audition in the first scene? Why not just have them headed off to a rehearsal and use that to set up that they are in the show? Did anyone on the writing staff ever consider this?

by Anonymousreply 8010/17/2010

If Sophia gave "Grab That Dough" her old address in Sicily by mistake, then how did the tickets eventually make their way to her in Miami? Are there people living underneath the old bridge who are still forwarding her her mail?

by Anonymousreply 8111/04/2010

Good point. And wouldn't they have forwarded it to Brooklyn, since that's where she moved to? Unless the present Puerto Rican (Oh, God!) tenants then forwarded it to Miami.

by Anonymousreply 8211/04/2010

There is some censorship, when Blanche gets mad at Rose about having a garage sale she says "I don't want 50 people in Simpson's tshirts trying to knock off a quarter off your I lost my ass in Vegas mug in my house" or something like that, the word ass is bleeped out, so is a scene where Blanche says SWEET JESUS it's changed to SWEET JUDAS.

by Anonymousreply 8311/04/2010

Also, what happened to the Hunka Hunka Burning Love fan club started by Rose and Blanche?

by Anonymousreply 8411/04/2010

In the episode with the gay wedding caterer, Blanche says to him at one point, "You're just about ready to fly right out of here, aren't you?", which I guess is a reference to him being very gay and light in his loafers. Most times when I see this episode in repeats though, this line is cut out.

by Anonymousreply 8511/04/2010

r12 = Barbara Thorndyke

by Anonymousreply 8612/27/2012

They disbanded and joined a club less fanatical. I believe it was the PLO.

by Anonymousreply 8712/27/2012

Remember the episode of Golden Girls where it snowed in Miami and the girls all stayed home at Christmas and gave each other home made calendars?

by Anonymousreply 8912/27/2012

How can Rose be so stupid yet have a blind sister? It makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 9012/27/2012

When Stan brings his brother Ted around, he has to remind Sophia who he is by saying he danced with her at Stan and Dorothy's wedding. That makes little sense. Stan and Dorothy were married for nearly 40 years, and you mean to tell me in all that time Ted and Sophia have NEVER seen each other at family events etc???

by Anonymousreply 9112/27/2012

Sofie is old, and them people forget. She's also had a stroke.

by Anonymousreply 9212/27/2012

Why do they insist on saying lanai?

by Anonymousreply 9402/11/2013

Is it a Florida/southern thing, R94? I work with someone from Florida and I've heard her use the term.

by Anonymousreply 9502/11/2013

r85: well excuse me for living, Anita Bryant!

by Anonymousreply 9602/24/2013

Yes, here in Florida, a screened in porch is called a lanai, by everyone.

by Anonymousreply 9702/24/2013

One thing that didnt seem realistic, was Sophia's reaction to a Puerto Rican living in her old apt. Anyone who's ever lived in NYC would not be surprised by that, no matter what the neighborhood was like, New Yorkers are used to them changing, and very used to Puerto Ricans. It's worth noting, that as she walked in he said to her, "Don't steal anything" which got a laugh, I guess because she's white, and whites think Puerto Ricans steal often ( ? ) but Sophia steals quite a bit. She regularly steals from Dorothy, the other girls, and hotels and restaurants she goes to.

by Anonymousreply 9802/24/2013

all I have to say is that growing up this was and remains to be my favorite show. Disecting it is un-fun. It had four wonderful actoresses who deserve to be remembered in their glory and to be a critic to them now ks wrong.

by Anonymousreply 9902/26/2013

Old people don't act like that. They sit around and try to eat food without their dentures falling out.

And they certainly don't have sex. I mean they didn't even have Viagra yet.

by Anonymousreply 10002/26/2013

Do you think Blanche did anal or would that be considered unladylike?

by Anonymousreply 10102/26/2013

Nope, Blanche would never do the anal.

Rose? Yes, she grew up on a farm, so she does all the filthy unholy things animals do. Hell she probably did it with that pig that was living with them.

As for Dorothy? Nope to repressed to do the anal, the oral, or anything but missionary and aligned with Catholic teaching.

Sofia? Down at the docks waiting for the fleet to come in.

by Anonymousreply 10202/26/2013

Please, Blanche had anal sex for sure. She was a slutty Southern Belle who wanted to remain a virgin for her husband. Later in life she probably preferred doggy style so she could imagine it was George Clooney ... uhm, I mean Burt Reynolds who's doing her from behind and not some sad old patron from the Rusty Anchor (a piano bar, for some reason).

by Anonymousreply 10302/26/2013

"One thing that didnt seem realistic, was Sophia's reaction to a Puerto Rican living in her old apt. Anyone who's ever lived in NYC would not be surprised by that, no matter what the neighborhood was like, New Yorkers are used to them changing, and very used to Puerto Ricans."

I disagree - I think there would have been lots of New Yorkers of Sophia's age who would have had that reaction. My grandmother lived in Park Slope all her life, and I don't think she particularly liked seeing the neighborhood in the '60s and '70s become less the Irish/Italian enclave she knew and more black/Latino. She wouldn't come out and say blatantly racist things about it, but I do think she associated the neighborhood's rise in crime with the rise in the non-white population (I'm not defending this perspective, just saying that I do think a lot of New Yorkers of Sophia's age weren't thrilled about ethnic changes to the neighborhoods they were attached to).

by Anonymousreply 10402/26/2013

r65, don't forget Dorothy's "yarmulke and hefty bag" ensemble.

by Anonymousreply 10506/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 10608/04/2013

Rose was from Minnesota but her blind sister had a Southern accent?

by Anonymousreply 10708/04/2013

I always wondered if Marc Cherry and Jamie Wooten were a gay couple. They were credited together when they were writers/producers for the show and when they went on to create "The Five Mrs. Buchanans." Were thy together then and did they break up before Cherry created "Desperate Housewives?"

by Anonymousreply 10808/04/2013

Blanche) Shut up you dimwit, I hope you have AIDS

Rose) Only bad people get AIDS

Dorothy) I hope you both have it.

by Anonymousreply 10903/05/2014

Why did Blanche who was known to have gonorrhea and syphilis get more yahoos than Dorothy? Was it because her weeha was crusted over?

by Anonymousreply 11003/29/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!