Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What''s so great about KFC?

Can someone tell me what is so great about KFC? I eat here and I like eating here but have traveled all over the world and can't say KFC is better than, say, Popeye's or Churches yet if you try and compare the two you get people jumping down your throat lambasting you for suggesting that KFC is not "The Greatest Chicken in the World"

What exactly makes it the greatest chicken in the world?

by Anonymousreply 109October 24, 2019 3:32 PM

It is most definitely not "great." It's pretty nasty as far as fast food fried chicken goes; I would even go so far as to say it is about the same quality as Swanson frozen entree fried chicken! There is no comparing KFC with the relatively delicious Popeye's and Church's fried chicken. I guess those people who assert KFC is the best must also love McDonald's.

by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2010 8:31 AM

I've only been to KFC once - it was very greasy.

by Anonymousreply 2August 23, 2010 8:40 AM

OP and R1 must be some kind of freaks.

KFC is the greatest chicken in the world.

by Anonymousreply 3August 23, 2010 8:43 AM

You need to expand your circle of friends, OP. I've never met anyone who gives two shits about KFC.

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2010 8:47 AM

Has anyone tried their whole fried chicken? I saw someone eating it and was like WTF, how did they get so many pieces in their meal?

by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2010 8:48 AM

A lonnnnnng long time ago (like 25 years ago or more) KFC was edible. Now it's nasty. Won't go near the stuff.

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2010 8:51 AM

Bojangles is better.

by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2010 9:09 AM

[quote]yet if you try and compare the two you get people jumping down your throat lambasting you for suggesting that KFC is not "The Greatest Chicken in the World"

Wtf kind of losers do you hang out with?

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2010 10:13 AM

Oh Dear,

by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2010 10:24 AM

I always wondered if people actually go in and buy "food" in all those places. Now I see that not only they buy, they even EAT it. Ugghh.

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2010 10:53 AM

I also prefer Popeye's, and have never met a KFC partisan. What part of the country are you in, OP?

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2010 11:04 AM

Do they still serve it in buckets?

by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2010 11:21 AM

Why would you eat at a fast food chain?

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2010 11:40 AM

Diggin' the

Pope Yes

the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2010 11:49 AM

If ever walk into a Fast Food Fried Chicken joint, it won't be until they bring back the authentic Pioneer Chicken.

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2010 12:02 PM

Popeye's, Church's and Roy Rogers all trump the mediocre KFC by a mile.

I have no idea why KFC has so many franchises all over the world when there is so much more great fried chicken chains.

I guess having a mascot helps sales? Popeye's needs its own Colonel Sanders.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2010 12:15 PM

Back in the 1960's it was pretty damn good chicken, but even Col. Sanders complained about how it turned to crap. One of the problems is that they have a real consistency problem from store to store, and a lot of absentee owners.

One of the restaurant magazines had an interesting article a few years ago about a family from India who had made an absolute fortune buying up failing KFC stores, cleaning them up, repairing equipment, and actually preparing the chicken according the book.

Of course the other problem is that if you actually use the Colonel's original formula you wind up with a heart attack in a bucket, and in this day and age of product labeling that will never do, so they've made all sorts of changes to make the product more healthy (a relative thing when talking about fried chicken to be sure), and all those changes have come at the expense of taste.

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2010 12:39 PM

We used to be able to recognize the parody threads around here.

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2010 12:43 PM

Had it not too long ago. Very salty.

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2010 12:56 PM

Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2010 12:56 PM

If you have ever had fried chicken cooked by someone who knows what they are doing (a great southern cook or someone who just knows how)- or in a really good southern restaurant like Silvia's in NYC, you will never step foot in KFC again. KFC is half dried up chicken and half greasy crust with lots of salt. Good fried chicken has a thin crispy crust- I like it with a bit of snap (salt and pepper), and of course tender chicken. Should be cooked in very not, very fresh oil-

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2010 1:06 PM

"in those places." Nice to smell your feces doesn't stink.

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2010 1:46 PM

THE COLE SLAW!

by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2010 2:01 PM

Look at their latest disgusting idea (after the "Double-down").... the SKINWICH!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 23, 2010 2:13 PM

I don't eat meat but whenever my friend goes to Popeye's, they are rude and always forget at least one thing you ordered.

by Anonymousreply 25August 23, 2010 2:29 PM

It's just battered, deep fried chicken fat and skin.

by Anonymousreply 26August 23, 2010 2:29 PM

[quote]a really good southern restaurant like Silvia's in NYC

That doesn't make any sense.

by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2010 2:40 PM

Aww, fuck Sylvia's.

by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2010 2:46 PM

"A lonnnnnng long time ago (like 25 years ago or more) KFC was edible."%0D %0D When I was a kid KFC tasted completely different (and 100 times better) than it does today. I have eaten it ONCE since back then, and I was so horrified at the taste, I thought my memory and my tastebuds had failed me. Nope, it's just not the same as it once was. %0D %0D Which is good, because otherwise I would probably be wearing a KFC bucket on my head right now.

by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2010 2:51 PM

[quote]It's just battered, deep fried chicken fat and skin%0D %0D You say that like it's a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2010 3:03 PM

The biscuits make it sooo good.

Also like the gravy they put on their potatos.

by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2010 3:07 PM

Used to be cooked in lard. Not allowed anymore - heart attacks. That compromised a lot of the flavor.

by Anonymousreply 32August 23, 2010 3:10 PM

I've always thought KFC is awful. I prefer Popeye's chicken, and so does everyone I know. %0D %0D If you're hosting family or having an event, in the NY area we go to Pathmark Supermarkets and buy a large amount of fried chicken. They use large pieces of good quality meat and they run a clean operation. You just have to select the right market -- some of them fry the chicken in the same oil they use for frying fish. Blecchhh.

by Anonymousreply 33August 23, 2010 3:17 PM

Please, I beg of you, does anyone know if any of the chains sell fried chicken livers?

I'm jonesin'.

by Anonymousreply 34August 23, 2010 3:21 PM

One of my friends worked for KFC during summer vacations, and his job was cutting up frozen whole chickens with an electric saw. He said they were supposed to cut them into separate white and dark meat pieces, but they usually just cut them into quarters, which was why there were so many "mystery pieces" in a bucket. I think KFC delivers the frozen chicken pre-cut now (because who wants to trust an underpaid, undereducated 18-year-old with an electric saw?)

by Anonymousreply 35August 23, 2010 3:23 PM

R27, Southern food, you know like a Italian or French or Chinese? Sometimes also called Soul Food- except fried chicken is ubiquitous in Southern cuisine, white or black.

by Anonymousreply 36August 23, 2010 3:35 PM

R1, if you eat at Church's and Popeye's there is no need to say you aren't a food snob. It goes without saying.

by Anonymousreply 37August 23, 2010 4:15 PM

Agree with R7. Bojangles is best

by Anonymousreply 38August 23, 2010 4:31 PM

[quote]in a really good southern restaurant like Silvia's in NYC

Then I would love to try Silvia's. In Harlem we have this nasty steam table restaurant named Sylvia's where the chicken (and most everything else) is awful crap doled out for tourist buses. The worst 'soul food' in the world.

KFC used to be fried in lard and tasted very peppery to me...in the 70's when I was a kid.

Now it is bland.

by Anonymousreply 39August 23, 2010 4:43 PM

I respect Sylvia's business acumen and her longtime survival - and political -- instincts in a rough town for restaurants in general, but her food isn't all that. I took a date to Sylvia's one night, ordered a side dish of green beans ($2) and got a quarter-cup of what was clearly commercially canned green beans with no seasoning. %0D %0D Try Miss Mamie's and their branch Spoonbread.

by Anonymousreply 40August 23, 2010 8:22 PM

The secret to the success of BOTH KFC and McDonald's is that they don't make anything you can't eat without teeth.%0D

by Anonymousreply 41August 23, 2010 8:27 PM

I sent an e mail to Popeyes customer service because I had extra spicy in New Orleans and it was great. In Harlem...not so good.

They admitted that the spice mix is different outside of New Orleans, much less cayenne.

by Anonymousreply 42August 23, 2010 9:31 PM

Back in the 60's as someone else posted, the KFC box chicken dinner was a treat! The mashed potatoes, gravey, roll, cole slaw and 3 pieces of chicken were very plentiful. The chicken was almost like good home made, if you can believe this now.%0D %0D The New KFC is like fried skin and grease. It is hard to believe they can be in business and sell such dreadful food.%0D %0D McDonalds seems the same as 45 years ago and was never Great then or now.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 43August 23, 2010 9:38 PM

r42 - interesting -- that may be why a product they introduced in ads for the latino market included a teeny bottle of hot sauce. seriously!

by Anonymousreply 44August 23, 2010 9:38 PM

"McDonalds seems the same as 45 years ago and was never Great then or now." No. McDonalds fries used to be the closest thing to Heaven on Earth before they stopped using hydrogenated oil. Now it pales in comparison to its former fry glory.

by Anonymousreply 45August 23, 2010 9:45 PM

I'm a fan of Popeye's and Bojangles'%0D %0D I also have to say that my Publix has fantastic chicken. It's far superior to KFC in every way. They keep it fresh and hot, and the crust is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 46August 23, 2010 9:47 PM

Gladys and Ron's Chicken and Waffles is out of this world!!

by Anonymousreply 47August 23, 2010 9:48 PM

The fries' oil was changed and do not seem much different to me. The hamburgers same, malts may be smaller or less ice milk?

by Anonymousreply 48August 23, 2010 9:50 PM

In Canada they charge extra for white meat. So if you order a 3 piece and ask for white meat only, that is an extra $3.00

by Anonymousreply 49August 23, 2010 9:52 PM

They need to do a mea culpa like Dominos and make a new recipe for themselves because the current one ain't working.

Even though Dominos still tastes like shit...

by Anonymousreply 50August 23, 2010 9:53 PM

There is almost always a "local place" in larger cites which has much better food at lower prices compared to FAST food junk.%0D %0D In & Out Burger is one exception, out west.

by Anonymousreply 51August 23, 2010 10:01 PM

Good thing about KFC today is, if you are constipated and you get a box or bucket, eat two pieces at least, within the hour your will no longer be constipated, but you may have another problem, diahhrea.%0D %0D As to MickyD's fries, the primary taste difference is they used to put beef talon in the cooking oil, and after all the changes that had to be made because of trans fats, they had to stop using the beef talon.%0D %0D At home, peel a potato, cut into fries size, put oil, or crisco (not from under your bed tho) and add a little beef broth (2 Tbsps), the heartier the better. Get the oil hot hot hot, but not smoking and cook potato's. That will get you real close to fries of yore at MickyD's.

by Anonymousreply 52August 23, 2010 10:07 PM

They were really good in the 1970's. I think they were all owned by The KFC corporation. Now who the hell know who owns them.%0D %0D %0D %0D KFC is popular in England. My Aunt calls them "Kentucky". She'll say, "Should we get a Kentucky tonight?" And just like Brooklyn and the Bronx, there are also copy cat fried chicken places in England such as, Mississippi Friend Chicken, Louisiana Fried Chicken and even a Tennessee fried chicken

by Anonymousreply 53August 23, 2010 10:07 PM

Popeye's is actually better than a lot of restaurant fried chicken.

Mmmm...their biscuits with honey is mouthwatering.

by Anonymousreply 54August 23, 2010 10:07 PM

Very thoughtful, R52!

by Anonymousreply 55August 23, 2010 10:11 PM

Kennedy's Fried Chicken and Crown Fried Chicken in the NYC metro area are just as disgusting but in a different way. I can't explain it. It also might have something to do with thinking you could be shot when you enter one.

by Anonymousreply 56August 23, 2010 10:13 PM

[quote]In Canada they charge extra for white meat. So if you order a 3 piece and ask for white meat only, that is an extra $3.00%0D %0D But KFC never has white meat. I've ordered white meat, the robot behind the counter takes my money, then a minute later robot says they don't have any white meat. This happened three or four times.%0D %0D I now go to El Pollo Loco instead. Their chicken tastes better and they always have white meat.

by Anonymousreply 57August 23, 2010 10:16 PM

r46, I agree about the fried chicken at Publix. It's fresh, juicy, not greasy at all with a perfect crust. It is actually my favorite fried chicken. Publix-who knew??

by Anonymousreply 58August 23, 2010 10:22 PM

Is this the first time a parody thread sort of ignored the original intent of the parody and became a real thread?

by Anonymousreply 59August 23, 2010 10:23 PM

Uhm, this is a sheepish R1. I meant to post earlier, but I was the idiot who didn't realize OP was doing a parody post and indignantly posted the first response.

by Anonymousreply 60August 23, 2010 10:31 PM

R52 did you mean beef 'tallow'? not talon.

by Anonymousreply 61August 23, 2010 10:57 PM

Beef talons are related to vaginas, not french fries. R52 must have egg, or should I say ovum, on his face.

by Anonymousreply 62August 23, 2010 11:15 PM

KFC Kentucky fried duck

by Anonymousreply 63May 25, 2013 4:49 AM

So how do we get Publix or Bojangles fried chicken in Vegas? Guaranteed it'll be successful; we even have a fast food row on Boulder Highway, way off of the strip. Our Church's and Popeye's are always crowded too.

by Anonymousreply 64May 25, 2013 5:00 AM

[quote]Can someone tell me what is so great about KFC? I eat here and I like eating here but have traveled all over the world and can't say KFC is better than, say, Popeye's or Churches yet if you try and compare the two you get people jumping down your throat lambasting you for suggesting that KFC is not "The Greatest Chicken in the World"

Where the fuck do you live? I've never heard a mass of people passionately defend KFC as the best. They just accept it as the preeminent chain in terms of visibility and size, but most say they like something else better. In fact, I don't really hear people passionately defend any chicken place.

by Anonymousreply 65May 25, 2013 5:22 AM

R65, Have you ever been to Dinah's in LA near LAX? It's more like a diner than a fast food place and the fried chicken is really hot. A real fav with truckers and others.

by Anonymousreply 66May 25, 2013 3:56 PM

[R-65] you need to make a reservation at Sylvia's and order the Irony plate, with a side dish of reading comprehension since you are deficient in both since R1/R60 addressed this a few posts ago.

by Anonymousreply 67May 26, 2013 1:47 AM

Once or twice a year I get a craving for KFC. It's a child of the 60's nostalgia thing.

by Anonymousreply 68May 26, 2013 2:22 AM

Circa 1974 KFC had the most delicious BBQ pork ribs. I guess I was the only one who liked them though since they were gone a year or two later. They actually had some kind of breading or crust on them under the very tasty sauce. I'd never known anyone else to do that.

LOL, does anyone remember in the late 1980s or early 90s Burger King trying waiter service and baked potatoes in the evening? Imagine those behind the counter trying to be servers. The second I saw it I said it was never going to work. Oh and it came served in a basket. I'll bet those baskets were never cleaned from customer to customer.

by Anonymousreply 69May 26, 2013 3:07 AM

My local KFC is alright but the KFC in the hood is top notch. You have to go where they take fried chicken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 70May 26, 2013 3:20 PM

Those taters

by Anonymousreply 71June 15, 2013 3:25 PM

Trash; the lot of you.

by Anonymousreply 72June 15, 2013 9:37 PM

I love those taters..

by Anonymousreply 73July 25, 2013 5:42 PM

they have Pepsi Max

by Anonymousreply 74September 16, 2013 7:32 PM

potato wedges

by Anonymousreply 75September 30, 2013 11:19 PM

Fried Chicken = Popeyes

'Nuff said

by Anonymousreply 76October 1, 2013 12:08 AM

I used to get a hankerin for KFC every once in awhile. I always enjoyed it and would then feel sick. Kind of like the square fish at McDonalds. I'd get a hankerin for that and then feel sick. IT'S SQUARE FISH PHYLLIS.

Popeyes is just down the street from me now. I don't go there often but when I do I don't get that urfy feeling.

by Anonymousreply 77October 1, 2013 12:36 AM

No fast good is "great"

by Anonymousreply 78October 1, 2013 12:37 AM

If gives darker people high cholesterol, high blood pressure and other herd thinning diseases.

by Anonymousreply 79October 1, 2013 12:41 AM

It's Finga Lickin' Good.

by Anonymousreply 80October 1, 2013 1:10 AM

There is a reason people like it. It tastes very good.

by Anonymousreply 81October 1, 2013 2:22 AM

delicious green beans

by Anonymousreply 82October 7, 2013 4:00 PM

Popeye's certainly IS the best. Crisp, non-greasy, I'm a fan of the spicy variety. Love their sides too; Dirty Rice and Red Beans and Rice. We used to have the Church's chain here, but one by one they closed up, and Popeye's moved right in. The people have spoken!!!

by Anonymousreply 83October 7, 2013 4:33 PM

Church's chicken smells funny to me.

by Anonymousreply 84October 7, 2013 4:44 PM

d

by Anonymousreply 85June 21, 2014 6:16 PM

I can't believe these miniature sized drumsticks and wings served as 2 pieces of chicken. What's the deal?

by Anonymousreply 86June 22, 2014 7:15 AM

Bring back lard. We're all going to die anyway, and 60-85 is awful.

by Anonymousreply 87June 22, 2014 7:40 AM

The problem I have with Popeye's is the inconsistent quality. And the store closest to me almost always gives me OLD food... chicken or shrimp that is chewy and tough and luke-warm. Dry crumbly biscuits. Cold fries.

Ugh.

When Popeye's is FRESH, it's damn good. But I won't eat there any more because it's such a crap-shoot.

by Anonymousreply 88June 22, 2014 7:43 AM

KFC is the best. Way better than Popeyes. My husband and I love a KFC dinner and yes, it still comes in a bucket.

by Anonymousreply 89June 22, 2014 8:41 AM

And I've had chicken at Sylvia's. KFC is best.

by Anonymousreply 90June 22, 2014 8:42 AM

I'd much rather spend an evening at Chick-Fil-A and end the evening with a Let's Roll Cinnamon Roll™

by Anonymousreply 91June 22, 2014 9:53 AM

The bad meat scandal in China is killing their image.

by Anonymousreply 92July 26, 2014 2:49 AM

@64 Try M and M Soul Food Cafe in Las Vegas.

Another fan of Bojangles.

by Anonymousreply 93July 26, 2014 3:08 AM

It was good up until about the late 1970s. I know it's not just my opinion. I met a guy whose father was a general manager for all the NYC KFCs back in the 1960s - 1990s and he said they kept using cheaper and cheaper everything from chicken to oil and by the time he retired he could not even recognize the product.

Once upon a time long, long ago McDonalds wasn't too bad either. They once actually used real food.

by Anonymousreply 94July 26, 2014 3:39 AM

d

by Anonymousreply 95September 10, 2014 5:22 PM

Love me a KFC extra crispy Chicken breast RIGHT NOW

by Anonymousreply 96September 10, 2014 5:29 PM

I used to like KFC. But it taste different.

by Anonymousreply 97September 10, 2014 5:38 PM

That, R97 , is what people say when they get old.

by Anonymousreply 98September 10, 2014 5:50 PM

I love KFC, but it's always a crap shoot-sometimes it's dry as shit, but when it's good it's like edible God.

by Anonymousreply 99September 10, 2014 5:54 PM

Popeyes's is best, KFC is second, Church's comes in a remote third with Browns dead last.

KFC is only gross for it's regular chicken, the extra crispy is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 100September 10, 2014 6:25 PM

Go Chicken Go near UMKC and Rockhurst University in Kansas City has great fried chicken. However, they have the rudest employees. Best to only use the drive thru.

by Anonymousreply 101September 10, 2014 6:43 PM

The only mash potatoes I eat.

by Anonymousreply 102September 30, 2014 8:01 PM

The mac and cheese, coke slaw, mashed potatoes are amazing

by Anonymousreply 103September 30, 2014 8:12 PM

Best mashed potatoes on planet

by Anonymousreply 104January 26, 2016 2:40 AM

Grilled chicken

by Anonymousreply 105October 24, 2019 2:19 PM

The Japanese will fight you over KFC. KFC is a Christmas tradition in Japan.

by Anonymousreply 106October 24, 2019 2:23 PM

Korean fried chicken is vastly superior.

by Anonymousreply 107October 24, 2019 2:44 PM

This entire thread types fat.

by Anonymousreply 108October 24, 2019 2:51 PM

R12 they should cook it in lard again. Saturated fat is in.

by Anonymousreply 109October 24, 2019 3:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!