Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Claudette Colbert

the cutting your own hair thread inspires me to ask if there's a good biography of CC?

I went to a link on the hair thread and was fascinated by the trivia about her. Was she a lesbian? The last fact listed:

When Colbert died, she left no immediate family. The bulk of her estate was left to a friend, Helen O'Hagan, a retired director of corporate relations at Saks Fifth Avenue, whom Colbert had met in 1961 on the set of the her last film and who cared for Colbert following her 1993 strokes.

by Anonymousreply 167December 6, 2020 4:34 AM

Did Claudette have a flowbee?

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2010 11:24 AM

She was married a couple times, but there were rumors of an affair with -- of all people -- Hattie McDaniel.

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2010 11:28 AM

[quote]Did Claudette have a flowbee?

Ha ha. No. Some hair dresser trained her to cut it herself. And a makeup artist trained her to do her own make up.

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2010 11:33 AM

I think she and Marlene had a thing in the '30s, there are several photos of them together - though Colbert later said she barely knew her, but they are both snapped together at a party with those other '30s swingers Cary Grant, Clifton Webb and Billy Haines, and the Countess De Frasso.

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2010 11:33 AM

Go to the Susielee thread. She is a Hollywood insider on Classic Hollywood and her father was an actor. She said Claudette Colbert was a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2010 11:34 AM

Not only WAS she a lesbian (is that David E at R1?), the National Enquirer declared it after her death with a story; even a small pic on the cover of the mag.

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2010 11:47 AM

In a Vanity Fair profile of Joe Carstairs -- the tattooed, cross-dressing, speedboat-racing heiress who picked up women for most of the last century throughout the world, but especially in the Caribbean -- it was said that Claudette Colbert had an intense, on-and-off relationship with a woman who had a house next to hers on Barbados. I'm not sure if she knew Joe herself, who was close friends with Dietrich.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2010 12:01 PM

[quote]Yeah, that's why she was married [to men] a couple of times. I was married to several women, does that men I'm straight? eyeroll=shitstain.

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2010 12:06 PM

R8 homosexuals had to keep their lives in the closet especially in the Golden Era of Hollywood. Maybe she was bi? When her husband died, she was really heartbroken. Maybe they were just good companions? I'm not surprised that a lesbian especially from that era of Hollywood was married. The studios controlled every aspect of their lives, and if you were a homosexual they wanted you to get married to hide that factor. I remember reading once that one of the studios had the actors who were gay drink some sort of monkey serum thinking that would cure them of homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2010 12:21 PM

No, it means you're a bisexual whore r10/shitstain.

[quote]Maybe she was bi?

I'd believe that.

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2010 12:57 PM

[quote]Yeah, that's why she was married [to men] a couple of times.%0D %0D %0D Oh R8, you are such a card. I bet you are a sought after dinner party guest.

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2010 1:18 PM

Claudette Colbert was a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2010 1:23 PM

Keep telling yourself that r15. Homo = exclusively same sex.

Bisexual = swings both ways.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2010 1:38 PM

She must have been bi, because she had relationships with both men and women. She did have an affair with Marlene Dietrich. But who didn't? Dietrich was a bi slut extraordinare.

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2010 1:50 PM

Oh, the under 30s who post here who know nothing of gay history. %0D %0D Darlings, you can be married to 10 men (or women), it doesn't mean you sleep with them. It doesn't make you "bi," that word you youngsters love to label lesbians with. %0D %0D Cole Porter, gayest of gay, Cole Porter (the composer), was MARRIED. A long time, to a woman. Still gay.

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2010 2:04 PM

[quote] I remember reading once that one of the studios had the actors who were gay drink some sort of monkey serum thinking that would cure them of homosexuality.%0D %0D Any idea where you read that, R11? It sounds fascinatingly insane.

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2010 2:10 PM

If she had a neck, I'd wring it!

by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2010 2:16 PM

My God did that woman love snatch!

by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2010 2:19 PM

I love "The Claudette Colbert Report"

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2010 2:23 PM

In someone's diary (Noel Coward?) they wrote that after Colbert's husband died she announced to all of her friends that her female friend was to be given all the consideration of a husband and that they were a couple and must be treated as such.

This occurred in that little enclave of celebrities in the Caribbean (Barbadoes or Jamaica).

After two marriages where she lived separate from her husbands, no one batted an eye...

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2010 2:34 PM

[quote]Oh, the under 30s who post here who know nothing of gay history.

I'm 43 now stfu.

by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2010 2:42 PM

You might enjoy reading Diana McClennan's "The Girls: Sappho Goes to Hollywood." She details the "sewing circle" of lesbians who worked in Hollywood, from Mercedes Acosta to Marlene Dietrich. It's a good, dishy, fun read. And also a good analysis of WHY and how they had to closet themselves.%0D %0D Link to a funny review below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2010 3:15 PM

any good biographies?

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2010 4:14 PM

Here's a picture of Claudette with Marlene Dietrich.%0D %0D

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2010 4:18 PM

She was a massive pussy hound

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2010 4:21 PM

I had several husbands and was with my last dearest one when Mary and I go into that terrible accident with the taxi.

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2010 4:53 PM

quite friendly with the Reagans.

by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2010 11:03 PM

Nancy Regan had a lot of gay friends.

by Anonymousreply 31July 23, 2010 11:06 PM

R3, that was Tallulah.

by Anonymousreply 32July 24, 2010 12:50 AM

[quote]Last time I checked the use of gay to describe people who are primarily, though not exclusively sexually involved with people of their own sex, was perfectly acceptable.

Check again.

by Anonymousreply 33July 24, 2010 12:53 AM

Is there anyone Detrich{sp} didn't sleep with?

by Anonymousreply 34July 24, 2010 12:54 AM

"Is there anyone Detrich{sp} didn't sleep with?"%0D %0D John Wayne didn't sleep with her. According to Dietrich's daughter Maria Riva, the reason was that he "didn't like being part of a stable."%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 35July 24, 2010 2:01 AM

I thought I read John Wayne did sleep with her? He was real young at the time and naive. Apparently she taught him sex acts ,and positions that he never knew existed. She was extremely knowledgeable about sex. I wonder if she was once a prostitute or molested being so dysfunctional by sleeping with so many men?

by Anonymousreply 36July 24, 2010 2:08 AM

I love Queen Joe Carstairs, r9!

by Anonymousreply 37July 24, 2010 2:10 AM

She had a remarkably long career, but I find her a pretty forgettable actress. She was fine, but she never did anything (that I've seen) that made me take notice.

by Anonymousreply 38July 24, 2010 2:16 AM

She was the original choice for Margo Channing

by Anonymousreply 39July 24, 2010 2:54 AM

R38, watch her in It Happened One Night, Midnight, and The Palm Beach Story. She was a terrific comedienne and had great rapport with a number of her leading men, especially Clark Gable, Joel McCrea, and Fred MacMurray. She certainly enlivened Don Ameche, who was usually pretty awful but not in Midnight (or in Lubitsch's Heaven Can Wait). As noted, she was Mankiewicz's first choice to play Margo Channing. He also wanted her for The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, but Zanuck gave the part of Gene Tierney (who was very good in it and very beautiful).

by Anonymousreply 40July 24, 2010 4:03 AM

[quote]You might enjoy reading Diana McClennan's "The Girls: Sappho Goes to Hollywood."

That is a fantastic book! A must-read for old movie fans, especially us gay and lesbian ones.

by Anonymousreply 41July 24, 2010 4:52 AM

She is an actress who always gives pleasure. If you want to see her in a moving performance of a dramatic part, watch Three Came Home.

by Anonymousreply 42July 24, 2010 5:04 AM

I loooove her in The Sign of the Cross, and her Imitation of Life is vastly superior to Lana's

by Anonymousreply 43July 24, 2010 5:16 AM

I lived in Barbados near MS Colbert. A very classy, private LADY. Often opened her home to guests from her Hollywood era, and a few locals. I think it sad that all of you talk about her now, as if she were trash while on earth. Poor Ms Colbert can't even defend herself( but you know what?) She didn't have to she was herself, regardless of what any of you think. Just remember: someone will pass judgement on you, one day. Will you be there to defend yourself. By the way, (not that it matters) but I am straight and married! For Ms Colbert I say A O Y G S T Hell!

by Anonymousreply 44May 29, 2011 2:30 AM

I think it is easier for women to be bi than men. But that is my opinion. %0D %0D Colbert and Dietrich did have a fling, as did Dierich and Carstairs and Colbert and Carstairs.

by Anonymousreply 45May 29, 2011 2:37 AM

[quote]She was a massive pussy hound And apparently a big bush supporter.

by Anonymousreply 46May 29, 2011 2:55 AM

Colbert was always quite butch in her movie roles. She is supposed to have had a torrid affair with Hattie McDaniels and Majorie Main. These gals had a reputation for not being particularly fond of men for their intimate moments.

by Anonymousreply 47May 29, 2011 2:55 AM

Dietrich's daughter Maria, who does not in any way gloss over her mother's slutty sexual escapades, writes in her biography that her mother did not sleep with John Wayne. Marlene tried, but he stood his ground, drawing Dietrich's hateful ire for years afterward. I choose to believe Maria. %0D %0D You are regurgitating Hollywood gossip created by ruthless biographers who turn their subjects into fantasy fan fiction, r36. Just like the myth that Dietrich and Garbo had an affair. %0D %0D For all her sexual acrobatics, Dietrich was not into sex. Maria explains the paradox in her bok. Dietrich loved romance, the adulation and worship of a lover, ithe fuel it gave her ego. Bt she hated lovemaking. She was adept at fellatio because it gave her control of the situation, but she complained to her daughter that men ruined the whole fun of the affair because they wanted to put their "thing" in her. According to Riva, Marlene hated her naked body, espeically her breasts, and slipped into bed in the dark as quickly as possible when with a lover. It was not about sex for Dietrich. It was romance, which for her, empowered her. So I hardly doubt that she taught John Wayne or anyone anything when it came to sex. %0D %0D Appaently, the only sex that Dietrich truly enjoyed - the actual passion of intercourse - was with Yul Brynner.

by Anonymousreply 48May 29, 2011 2:55 AM

She showed off her titties in "Sign of the Cross".

by Anonymousreply 49May 29, 2011 3:01 AM

Yul Brenner is said to have used his head with Marlene. That might account for her alledged pleasure of his services.

by Anonymousreply 50May 29, 2011 3:05 AM

A friend of mine, an actress, told me that some years ago she met CC and her partner. I didn't ask if the partner was male of female. I should have.

by Anonymousreply 51May 29, 2011 3:08 AM

[quote]I think it sad that all of you talk about her now, as if she were trash while on earth. Poor Ms Colbert can't even defend herself( but you know what?) She didn't have to she was herself, regardless of what any of you think.

Oh, shut the fuck up, you sanctimonius twat.

Colbert was a public persona. Anyone who knowingly and willingly puts himself or herself out there is fair game.

I'm certain that Colbert knew this, too, and she probably didn't give a shit if people talked about her. And she probably would have laughed at you trying to "defend" her. She didn't strike me as the type who'd get upset over a bunch of trashy types like us DLers gossiping about her.

[quote]Just remember: someone will pass judgement on you, one day. Will you be there to defend yourself. By the way, (not that it matters) but I am straight and married! For Ms Colbert I say A O Y G S T Hell!

And so what if people pass judgment on me? I won't fucking care -- I'll be dead, idiot. Hell, people can judge me all they want to while I'm alive for all I care. It doesn't fucking matter.

by Anonymousreply 52May 29, 2011 3:09 AM

[quote] A O Y G S T Hell!

What does that even mean??

by Anonymousreply 53May 29, 2011 3:44 AM

[quote]What does that even mean??

I'm guessing "All Of You Go Straight To Hell."

It's amazing how worked up these psychos get.

by Anonymousreply 54May 29, 2011 3:53 AM

Lesbian or not, Colbert was quite proper, even with Hattie and Marjorie. She lived to be 92 or more and that says a lot for the quality of life our beloved lesbians live, ever so quietly.

Cobert was a lady lesbian and I don't think that's a bad thing. She was adorable to look at and quite lovely too.

by Anonymousreply 55May 29, 2011 4:44 AM

Absolutely amazing that there are people like you, r44, actually exists. Colbert was a fucking celebrity - the gossip and speculation go with the territory. The days are over when these people are held up as pillars of society. They are not people - they are things. If she didn't want to be a thing, then she shouldn't have become famous. %0D %0D A O Y G F Y.

by Anonymousreply 56May 29, 2011 5:54 AM

don't be rude,R56.%0D %0D Of Dietrich: "I wonder if she was once a prostitute or molested being so dysfunctional by sleeping with so many men?"%0D %0D Maybe she just liked it?

by Anonymousreply 57May 29, 2011 7:12 AM

[quote]a male lesbian.

Oh, look. Chaz Boner showed up. Shouldn't you be yelling at your gf?

by Anonymousreply 58May 29, 2011 7:49 AM

OP there is a biography on Claudette called Claudette Colbert: She Walked in Beauty (Hollywood Legends) by Bernard F. Dick. I haven%E2%80%99t read the book but on Amazon reviewers only gave the book two stars. They said the book is boring. I think that is the only biography out there on her. %0D %0D %0D I loved Claudette Colbert and her films as well were superb. She was immensely likeable on screen. There are two movies that she was in that are fantastic! "So Proudly We Hail". It%E2%80%99s about what this group of nurses went through during World War 2 with an all-star cast. It think it's a true story. Also, "Drums Along the Mohawk" is just amazing. Henry Fonda and Claudette Colbert are a young married couple who are colonists in Early America and they encounter struggles and she learns how to live in this new environment. Its a super charming film, but sad as well. If you haven't seen these two films. Please go for it because they are special. %0D %0D R44, if she was a lesbian, then she was a lesbian. It%E2%80%99s just a factor of her life. I don't think anyone here is trying to badmouth her because many DL's love movies and many love old movies on DL. Susielee has been really honest and no bull with her. She said Claudette Colbert was a lesbian and Susielee, as a lot of people on DL knows, would not make up BS because she isn't the type to make up stuff like that. Also, Susie lee isn't an author, she isn't making any mother by making that claim.%0D %0D BTW, Hattie McDaniel wasn%E2%80%99t a lesbian. Hattie McDaniel was straight. In fact, when she heard the rumor that she and Tallulah Bankhead were having an affair Hattie cracked up laughing. %0D %0D I think she couldn%E2%80%99t have a baby, but she wanted a baby so much that she made herself believe she was pregnant. So many actors and actress in Hollywood loved her and were friends of hers. Many of her friends threw a baby shower for her. However, when Hattie had to face reality, she was devastated and went into depression. Claudette went to her and tried to cheer her up as best as she could. Also, Clark Gable went to Hattie to comfort her as a friend and get her out of her depression. %0D %0D %0D %0D I bought an auction catalogue of Claudette Colbert's estate and she had some really beautiful antiques. %0D

by Anonymousreply 59May 29, 2011 9:09 AM

[quote]BTW, Hattie McDaniel wasn't a lesbian. Hattie McDaniel was straight. In fact, when she heard the rumor that she and Tallulah Bankhead were having an affair Hattie cracked up laughing. %0D %0D You were there?

by Anonymousreply 60May 29, 2011 9:43 AM

No R60, but I read her biography and it was extensively researched. I think the author-interviewed people who knew her.

by Anonymousreply 61May 29, 2011 9:49 AM

[quote]Colbert was always quite butch in her movie roles

What kind of mincing prisspot thinks Colbert was butch?!

by Anonymousreply 62May 29, 2011 10:36 AM

For Dietrich, sex was empowerment. It fed her male-like ego, it ensured her as a love goddess. She wasn't a pervert. She was a conqueror: the more lovers, the more powerful she was. Riva suggests in her book that Dietrich was her father's daughter - Marlene got more than just her looks from a man who was an expert player on the sexual battlefield. %0D %0D The loss of her beloved father at a young age was probably pivotal in shaping Marlene's personality. Perhaps men were a way to recapture the adoration of a father who spoiled her and treated her like a princess, while women were a way to BE the father she missed out on but whose pasing she never really dealt with (Dietrich was notorious in just mentally erasing things that didn't please her).

by Anonymousreply 63May 29, 2011 3:57 PM

R29: Claudette Colbert and Mary Martin received the Kennedy Center Honors the same year -- December, 1989. Unusual that two actresses were honored in the same year. The KC is known for picking five people from different fields of entertainment.%0D %0D The only exception is married stars, or performers who are known primarily as a team.%0D %0D So. Colbert and Martin were an exception.

by Anonymousreply 64May 29, 2011 4:21 PM

[quote] Oh, shut the fuck up, you sanctimonius twat.

This is why we cunt have nice things.

by Anonymousreply 65May 29, 2011 4:25 PM

So the KC honored two dykes in the same year? Was Hillary the First Lady at the time?

[quote] there is a biography on Claudette called Claudette Colbert: She Walked in Beauty (Hollywood Legends) by Bernard F. Dick.

What does a dick know about dykes?

by Anonymousreply 66May 29, 2011 4:27 PM

Speaking of Dietrich, her daughter Maria Riva's biography is highly recommended. It is one of the best bios I've ever read.

by Anonymousreply 67May 29, 2011 4:32 PM

[bold]About Diana McClennan's "The Girls: Sappho Goes to Hollywood."[/bold]%0D A review from goodreads:"Not only were Garbo and Dietrich lesbians, they were communist SPIES!!! I don't give a damn if it's true or not, it's hilarious."%0D %0D "Recommended for:Recommends it for: drag queens of a certain age."%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 68May 29, 2011 4:51 PM

Look at head shots of Marlene and Claudette in the early 30s side by side and you will be amazed by the similar physical appearance.%0D %0D Can't believe I'm the first to mention that Claudette was obsessed by her bad right side and would only be photographed on her left, esp in closeups. She always seemed to me to have a particularly symmetric face but perhaps that was the hairdo with the center part and bangs which she wore for 50 years.%0D %0D She was also one of the few major stars (Cary Grant and Barbara Stanwyck, as well) who refused to sign with any studio for a long-term contract so it certainly wasn't the studio bosses who were forcing her (or them!) to stay in the closet.%0D %0D And wasn't Claudette's long marriage to one of Hollywood's most favorite obstetricians? If so, Claudette might have had plenty of black mail ammunition handy should she need it.%0D %0D In her elder years Claudette co-starred with Rex Harison twice on Broadway and then long tours of those plays so she must have been pretty easy-going since he was notoriously mean and difficult.%0D %0D Isn't there a great William Mann book about gay 1930s Hollywood called The Lavender....something? that has Claudette and Marlene and a more obviously known group of gays on the cover? I remember that being quite a good read.

by Anonymousreply 69May 29, 2011 6:33 PM

She played the same sort of roles that Norma Shearer did but with a sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 70May 29, 2011 6:34 PM

Claudette and Henry Wilcoxon are pretty damn hot in Cleopatra....far more so than Liz and Dick in the later version.%0D %0D Hell, she even made Warren William's Julius Caesar look hot!

by Anonymousreply 71May 29, 2011 11:40 PM

She kicks ass and takes no prisoners in her last film, "The Two Mrs. Grenvilles" with Ann-Margret. It was a TV movie that is now, thankfully, available on DVD at the Warner Archives. Tough broad to the end...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 29, 2011 11:45 PM

Her estate was valued at only 3.5 million bucks in 1996? I know stars of the 30s and 40s were paid less than today, but they still made very large sums to invest, especially in real estate. She owned an apartment in NYC and a home in Barbados, so I wonder if the values of hose homes was included? It just doesn't seem like a lot of money after over 60 years of steady work. I wondered why she did three Broadway shows and tours in the 80s. "The Kingfisher", "A Talent for Murder", and "Aren't We All?" all ran for awhile. She must have enjoyed the income, I guess, as she was in her mid 70s already, and legit work is exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 73May 30, 2011 12:42 AM

Unlike many female stars of the 1930s she seemed to be fine with playing mother roles by the 1940s (Since You Went Away) and she still maintained her leading lady status until the 1950s.%0D %0D She's quite wonderful in The Egg and I with Fred MacMurray, the film that introduced Ma and Pa Kettle. Is that where the Marjorie Main rumors began?

by Anonymousreply 74May 30, 2011 1:32 AM

Claudette Colbert enjoys the sunshine in the garden of her Holmby Hills home

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75February 20, 2013 9:27 PM

In your opinion, which was the best movie of hers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76February 23, 2013 12:02 PM

[quote]Cobert was a lady lesbian and I don't think that's a bad thing.

I pass judgement now! And under a Barbados moon, scream with angry power:

BEGONE PATRONIZING PHALLUS!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 77February 23, 2013 12:37 PM

Probably she was bi. Big deal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78February 23, 2013 12:42 PM

In her earliest films like Cecil B. DeMile's Sign of the Cross and Cleopatra, she was all dooded up in ridiculous outfits and hairdos much like Gloria Swanson in her Cecil B. DeMille silents of the Twenties.

But once she made It Happened One Night and accomplished that very rare Oscar win for a comedy, she began a career of playing chic sophisticates with gorgeously expensive wardrobes and a classic hairdo, the banged bob, that never changed.

by Anonymousreply 79February 23, 2013 1:02 PM

Banged Bob, i confess that i haven't seen yet 'It Happened One Night'. Is is really as good as they say that it is, or it is just highly overrated?

by Anonymousreply 80February 23, 2013 1:07 PM

[quote]BEGONE PATRONIZING PHALLUS!!!!!

It's square fish, Phallus.

by Anonymousreply 81February 23, 2013 1:55 PM

Lesbian, lesbian, lesbian

by Anonymousreply 82February 23, 2013 2:22 PM

R80, seems a tad overrated to me. YMMV.

by Anonymousreply 83February 23, 2013 2:38 PM

Where do people like r15 get their peculiar ideas?

by Anonymousreply 84February 23, 2013 2:42 PM

R83, thanks for answering. At least someone did!

:)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85February 23, 2013 3:49 PM

The bees are coming R81.

by Anonymousreply 86February 23, 2013 4:06 PM

I love It Happened One Night but I think viewed today, it doesn't seem that fresh or original.

Yet it was the very first of those screwball comedies that cast a sexy romantic couple on a wacky improbable adventure.

Most romcoms today still owe a debt to It Happened One Night.

I'd take a look, r80.

by Anonymousreply 87February 23, 2013 9:23 PM

Banged Bob, thanks for answering, i appreciate that. I'll maybe see that movie, this week. We'll see...

by Anonymousreply 88February 24, 2013 1:28 PM

Lesbian?

I saw 'It Happened One Night'

I liked it. It was not boring. Nice lil movie.

by Anonymousreply 89March 1, 2013 10:25 AM

With Marlene Dietrich

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 1, 2013 10:28 AM

Marlene was great at parties and was really good friends with Claudette Colbert...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91March 1, 2013 10:29 AM

Colbert and Dietrich at Carole Lombard's party, 1935

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92March 1, 2013 10:37 AM

Claudette Colbert was highly insecure about her asymmetrical face, so she always requested to be photographed on her left side to conceal her right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 1, 2013 10:47 AM

1935: American actor Shirley Temple presents the Best Actress Oscar to French-born actor Claudette Colbert (1903 – 1996) for her role in director Frank Capra’s film, ‘It Happened One Night’, Los Angeles, California. Colbert holds a fur coat over her arm, preparing to travel to New York City.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 1, 2013 10:52 AM

With Stephen Collins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95March 1, 2013 10:54 AM

Take a look at this article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 1, 2013 10:57 AM

Cast break time on the set of 'Boom Town'. Frank Morgan, Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert, Hedy Lamarr and Spencer Tracy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97March 1, 2013 10:59 AM

She had a charm of her own. My favourite movies with her are 'The Palm Beach Story', 'So Proudly We Hail!' and 'Bluebeard's Eighth Wife'. She is not forgettable, i disagree so with the person who wrote that.

by Anonymousreply 98March 1, 2013 1:47 PM

Claudette Colbert, Joan Bennett, Tay Garnett & Melvin Douglas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 1, 2013 1:51 PM

In the photo below, Nancy Reagan and Claudette Colbert stroll along beach in Barbados

Nancy Reagan and actress Claudette Colbert take a walk in the surf near Colbert's residence in Bridgetown, Barbados on April 9, 1982. The President and the first lady visited their friend during a day of relaxation on the island.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100March 1, 2013 1:54 PM

Former President Ronald and Mrs. Nancy Reagan enjoy a backstage visit with Rex Harrison, 77, and Claudette Colbert, 80, after watching them perform in the play "Aren't We All?" at the Kennedy Center December 17, 1989. (

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101March 1, 2013 1:57 PM

Claudette Colbert and Nancy Reagan stroll along beach in Barbados, alogn with Mrs. William Buckley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102March 1, 2013 1:59 PM

Claudette Colbert takes a breather during the filming of 'Zaza' and shares ice creams with visitor Martha Raye, and her own mother, Jeanne Chauchoin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103March 1, 2013 2:16 PM

Claudette Colbert and Jennifer Jones stop for tea during filming of 'Since You Went Away' (1944)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104March 1, 2013 2:23 PM

Colbert taking a nude milkbath...

The film was Cecil B. DeMille's precode 'Sign of the Cross'. The milkbath was real milk. Legend has it that the same milk was used for several days until the scene was complete. The milk went off after the first day or two and, being the trouper that she was…Ms. Colbert finished the scene in the old milk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105March 1, 2013 2:28 PM

re: R93's comment....Doris Day famously commented that "God wasted half a face on Claudette Colbert"

by Anonymousreply 106March 1, 2013 4:20 PM

With Joan Crawford

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107March 1, 2013 7:29 PM

Claudette Colbert with Joan Crawford and Gary Cooper

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108March 1, 2013 7:39 PM

Gable had met Claudette Colbert during his Broadway period; she was an established stage star by the time of his debut in Machinal. He also knew that she was a lesbian in a sham marriage with gay actor-director Norman Foster, so he never tried to make a pass or to entice her into the temporary dressing suite that Columbia gave him.

Now as it comes to 'It Happened One Night'... The story builds to a scene where Gable and Colbert must share overnight accommodation in a one-room tourist cabin. Colbert’s actual reluctance to undress in front of the cameras gave Capra the idea for the “Walls of Jericho”, a blanket hung from the ceiling to divide her bed from Gable’s. While undressing behind the blanket, she drapes some of her clothes and undies on it, which turned out sexier than if she’d actually revealed herself.

As Gable stripes down in the same scene, he removes his shirt and has nothing on underneath. In real life he never wore undershirts, so he didn’t want to be bothered with one for the film. Capra went along with i.

During the filming of the “Jericho” scene, Gable and Capra pulled a prank on Colbert. The director called her over to Gable’s side of the curtain with “We’ve got a slight problem here. Clark wants to know what can be done about it.” When she came around, Colbert found Gable under the bedcovers, smirking, with a large bulge rising from his crotch line. He’d taken a prop kitchen utensil and positioned it under the blanket.

“Awww!” Colbert laughed. “You guys!”

The Book “Clark Gable: A Biography” (Warren Harris)

by Anonymousreply 109March 2, 2013 2:13 PM

"Uggh. So vulgar. So shopgirl-French."

by Anonymousreply 110March 2, 2013 3:20 PM

It was Marlene Dietrich who said those words, r110.

by Anonymousreply 111March 2, 2013 4:56 PM

She was not a lesbo. No fucking way.

by Anonymousreply 112March 2, 2013 5:28 PM

She was a lesbo. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 113March 2, 2013 5:51 PM

[R103] The look between them mmmmmmm, and the mother in the middle lol

by Anonymousreply 114March 5, 2013 2:36 PM

R114, exactly...hehe

The Secret Heart(1946). After filming The Secret Heart together, Claudette Colbert and co-star June Allyson became such great friends. Colbert became godmother to Allyson's daughter Pamela.

By the way, there are bisexual rumors about dear June Allyson too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115March 5, 2013 2:53 PM

Imitation of Life: 1934

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116March 5, 2013 2:55 PM

'Let's Make It Legal' with Marilyn too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117March 5, 2013 2:59 PM

With kid star Natalie Wood

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118March 5, 2013 3:00 PM

1947 Claudette Colbert with that dog in 'The Egg I Wire'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119March 5, 2013 3:05 PM

Carole Lombard & Claudette Colbert...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120March 5, 2013 3:07 PM

r108, wouldn't you just know it would take the one and only Joan Crawford to get herself in a photo with Claudette forcing her to reveal her reviled right profile?!

And frankly, I don't see the difference.

by Anonymousreply 121March 5, 2013 3:15 PM

R121, you like Colbert i hope...

by Anonymousreply 122March 5, 2013 3:22 PM

[R120] That look again

by Anonymousreply 123March 5, 2013 3:31 PM

Lolz...i love those glances

Yep!

by Anonymousreply 124March 5, 2013 3:36 PM

Fredric March had tons of affairs during his 50-year marriage but the one he was really nuts about was Claudette. (They made several movies together at Paramount in the early 1930s.)

by Anonymousreply 125March 5, 2013 5:00 PM

Those photos of Claudette on the Barbados beach with Mrs. Reagan and Mrs. Buckley just vouch for her heterosexuality, if you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 126March 5, 2013 5:04 PM

[R126] What do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 127March 5, 2013 5:09 PM

I wouldn't say no to a kiss from Claudette. She was not an extraordinary beauty but she had her way to turn you on...i guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128March 5, 2013 6:34 PM

[R128] I would say, yes please

by Anonymousreply 129March 5, 2013 11:16 PM

In addition to It Happened One Night, my favorite Claudette Colbert movies are:

-- Midnight (1939), a wonderful romantic comedy with a great script by Billy Wilder and a supporting performance by John Barrymore that it is genius. I really think that this is one of the best and most underrated movies of its kind from that era -- it's totally hilair!

-- The Palm Beach Story (1942), one of Preston Sturges' classics, with a yummy Joel McCrea as her romantic leading man.

-- Imitation of Life (1934) - Of course the 1950s Lana Turner/Douglas Sirk version is the one everyone remembers, but this adaptation is also excellent, albeit in different ways. Made during the Great Depression, it's much grittier and more realistic. Like the remake, it's one of the classic tearjerkers.

-- Three-Cornered Moon (1933) - One of the very first screwball comedies, this one concerns a wacky NYC family. Delightful!

Other fun ones: Ernst Lubitsch's The Smiling Lieutenant (in which Colbert plays a sexy violinist in a all-female orchestra; the highlight occurs when Colbert and Miriam Hopkins duet in their skivvies during the "Jazz Up Your Lingerie" number); a Lubitsch screwball comedy called Bluebeard's Eighth Wife, co-starring Gary Cooper; and Tovarich, yet another comedy; in this one she and Charles Boyer are Russian aristocrats who, post-revolution, are reduced to working as servants in Paris. I also enjoyed Colbert's DeMille pictures, Cleopatra and Sign of the Cross.

I still have a lot to catch up on where Colbert is concerned. In particular, I've heard good things about several other of her 30s films, such as Torch Singer and The Gilded Lily. Haven't seen them yet, though.

by Anonymousreply 130March 5, 2013 11:51 PM

Fredric March was a great actor long forgotten about

by Anonymousreply 131March 6, 2013 12:07 AM

Even in a minor comedy like The Egg and I, Claudette shines.

She was always great when paired with Fred MacMurray. What is the name of the film they did in which she plays a photo-journalist and he's a sexy sandhog? He has some incredibly hot shirtless scenes in that one.

by Anonymousreply 132March 6, 2013 1:14 AM

You can watch the full movie 'Three Came Home' with English subtitles, in Youtube

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133March 7, 2013 3:59 PM

R25 and R45 do you remember if in 'The Girls: Sappho Goes to Hollywood" any stories about Claudette? Which other female names are mentioned in that book?

by Anonymousreply 134March 7, 2013 4:12 PM

*R25 and R41

by Anonymousreply 135March 7, 2013 4:17 PM

She was very charming and breezy with Gary Cooper in 'Bluebeard's Eighth wife'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136March 7, 2013 5:52 PM

She is so sweet in this photo! Isn't she?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137March 7, 2013 5:57 PM

David Ehrenstein said "The Girls" is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 138March 7, 2013 6:40 PM

What do you think Claudette didn't like about her right profile?

She seems to have a sleepy right eye in r137's photo but I think it's just a bad shot.

by Anonymousreply 139March 8, 2013 12:08 AM

Last I saw her she was walking on a beach with the Reagans.

by Anonymousreply 140March 8, 2013 2:34 AM

I remember when she posed for an ad for Blackalama (sorry about the spelling) furs. She must have been 80-something and looked sensational

One of her underrated films: SINCE YOU WENT AWAY

by Anonymousreply 141March 8, 2013 2:55 AM

A new biography of Claudette Colbert is needed to be done. It's a shame that still there isn't available a really good biography of this great actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142March 8, 2013 9:47 AM

R142, yes, unfortunately there isn't yet a worthy biography of Claudette. I hope someone will make something about it because Colbert's acting was equal to Garbo's. Her performances were so natural and sincere. She had that gift as an actress, she was so believable, natural and refined in her comic or dramatic roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143March 8, 2013 1:58 PM

Undoubtedly, one of her best performances was as Gerry Jeffers in 'The Palm Beach Story'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 8, 2013 2:05 PM

Concerning Claudette Colbert and Mary Martin receiving Kennedy Center Honors the same year-1989. It was unusual. I believe Martin was suffering from liver cancer in 1989; she died in Nov. 1990. So the Kennedy Center may have rearranged things to include Mary Martin a year or so before they would have otherwise gotten to her.

by Anonymousreply 145March 8, 2013 2:25 PM

And the winner is...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146March 8, 2013 2:40 PM

I can't imagine there will ever be a definitive biography of Claudette now. She hardly led a scandalous life and there's no one still alive to reveal any secrets, if they even existed.

by Anonymousreply 147March 8, 2013 4:44 PM

Love that line...

Claudette Colbert and Henry Wilcoxon in Cleopatra, 1934

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148March 15, 2013 11:57 AM

And the show goes on!

Lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149March 15, 2013 11:59 AM

Claudette in 'Zaza'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150March 15, 2013 12:36 PM

Claudette didn't need the scandals to be a grand actress. She didn't even need to be as tough as the other ladies of her league. She was more than enough.

by Anonymousreply 151March 15, 2013 2:56 PM

[R150] She was a lady's lady lol

by Anonymousreply 152March 15, 2013 3:09 PM

Hehe R152, yes i think she was that deep in her heart, but she perhaps was too discreet and proper to pronounce it.I suspect that although she seemed sweet, bright and cool, Claudette also had the pride and the vanity of an actress of the Hollywood era, so it must have been difficult for her to be open about her true sexuality.

Just thoughs...dunno.

An awesome actress and a very interesting one, anyway!

by Anonymousreply 153March 18, 2013 7:47 PM

[post by racist shit-stain #3 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 154March 21, 2013 3:35 AM

Was Henry Wilcoxon gay? He doesn't seem to have made any good films after Cleopatra.

What happened to him? He was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 155March 21, 2013 3:42 AM

R155, unfortunately i can't answer your question about his sexuality with much confidence, but in all the sites i checked out about him, he is mentioned as 'straight'. If anyone knows anything more about that. well, let us know! Lol. The only interesting trivia i found for charming Henry Wilcoxon is that:

He was "an avid antique collector and accomplished flier."

His nickname was 'Biff'. His birtname was Harry Harry Frederick Wilcoxon. Harry and Owen (his brother)were known as 'Biff' and 'Bang' to friends and family due to fighting skills gained in amateur boxing and public houses.

He was given the lead role of Marc Antony in Cecil B. DeMille's Cleopatra (1934). It would prove to be the beginning of a long relationship with DeMille he would become a familiar DeMille character actor and DeMille's associate producer in the later years of DeMille's career. However, after DeMille died, he worked sporadically and accepted minor acting roles.

Spouse Joan Woodbury t(17 December 1938 - August 1969) (divorced) 3 children Sheila Browning t(26 June 1936 - 2 July 1937) (divorced)

In addition here is a link that says a little more about him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156March 21, 2013 1:25 PM

Thanks for the Wilcoxon info r156, but how strange that the bio doesn't even mention his most famous film Cleopatra!

by Anonymousreply 157March 21, 2013 1:50 PM

I wish i could find something more about Henry Wilcoxon R157. Maybe, some folks in here can tell us more about him. Anyway, yes, i agree with you, he was very good in 'Cleopatra' with the amazing and versatile actress Claudette Colbert!

by Anonymousreply 158March 21, 2013 6:53 PM

Claudette Colbert away in her own thoughts...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159March 22, 2013 4:23 PM

Lady Claudette Colbert

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160March 22, 2013 4:27 PM

Stop trying to make Claudette Colbert happen!

by Anonymousreply 161March 23, 2013 3:38 AM

There is something off-putting about her odd moon-faced appearance, yet she is leagues better than most actresses of her era. She is natural, sly, and very modern in her non-actressy approach. She could do any genre too, which was rare, and had a very successful stage career into her 70s!

by Anonymousreply 162May 12, 2013 6:35 PM

I remember hearing the story about her last film, "Parrish." (Not counting a TV movie years later.) She was sitting with Bibi Osterwald watching as they were trying to film a dramatic scene with Troy Donahue. When it was decided to dub the dialogue in later (with someone elses voice?) She turned to Bibi and said "I think it's time to retire." And she did, at least from films. She went back to the stage and worked consistently for most of the rest of her life.

by Anonymousreply 163May 13, 2013 1:24 PM

I wonder what her pussy looked like.

by Anonymousreply 164May 13, 2013 2:24 PM

Oi Geaorgia!

by Anonymousreply 165May 15, 2013 10:09 AM

Lew Ayres, Ginger Rogers and spectators Fay Wray & Claudette Colbert (looks like their limo is waiting).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166January 15, 2014 9:07 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 167December 6, 2020 4:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!