Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Living in Houston

I am considering applying for a job there, but I don't think I would like living there based on what I've heard (awful traffic, climate, crazy Republicans). Any people have real-life experience?

by Anonymousreply 222May 4, 2018 11:38 AM

The roads are scary. The highway is 12 lanes wide but there are exit-onlys on the left and the right so you could be in the middle lane and suddenly you have to merge two lane to avoid exiting. Its crazy. I think one of their major highways is listed among the most dangerous roads in America.%0D %0D Thats my experience from being there on business. Other than that I have no idea...

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2010 10:07 PM

Some friends recently visited from Baton Rouge and they said they really like Houston. I was kind of shocked because I have just heard horrible things about the city. They said it has everything you could want but you need a car and they also said the roads are great. Which also surprised me since R1 says they are a nightmare. I think they meant the roads are paved well. Still, not much of an endorsement. I still think it's a dump.

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2010 10:10 PM

The stink! The stink! Some friends moved there and I visited for two days. The smell has something to do with oil refineries. It was awful. I've driven through there several times on I-10 and roll up the car windows to keep away the outside air.

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2010 10:13 PM

If you don't like republicans or most things related with the state why would you move there? And why Houston?

Seriously, go somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2010 10:13 PM

I lived there in the '90s. The people are great, there are tons of hot men, fun bars and surprisingly good restaurants. %0D %0D The humidity is awful, and I suppose the traffic is bad but I worked nights so was lucky enough to go against the flow.

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2010 10:15 PM

You will need to get a shotgun rack in your car OP. Hope you like Country Music too.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2010 10:49 PM

Houston is actually really diverse. Like almost every red state in the country, when actually here it's hard to believe there's a Republican in the state, much less that it's a Republican state. Most Republicans I know, including a Tea Partier, only know what Fox tells them, and it's really not their fault. They don't know any better, and they're not bigots at all. I actually know more gay white men that are Republicans than any other demographic. So watch out. The fag hitting on you probably thinks Reagan was a great President.

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2010 10:53 PM

r7, fuck you twat. You libs only know what the lib media says. Nothing in this country is bipartisan when it comes to news. If you think there is then you are deluded.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2010 10:58 PM

I"ve lived here for 20 years, moved here from New York to go to college. Like most big cities, there is the "city" part and then there's the surrounding parts. If you stay within the city, it's a pretty great place. The home to the second-largest number of Fortune 500 companies outside of New York. The biggest medical center in the world. The #1 hospital in the US -- MD Anderson Cancer Center. One of only a few US cities with four resident professional performing arts companies: Opera, Ballet, Symphony and legitimate theater (Alley). It's a great place to make friends and make money, as there's no class striation and no "old money" to speak of. And the restaurants are nothing short of amazing. If you've never been here, or just driven through on a highway, don't judge because you don't know what you're talking about. It's not Paris, or LA, or New York, or Rome -- and that's fine. Gives me more reasons to travel.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2010 11:16 PM

Oh and as far as "the Republicans" are concerned, the few I know are fiscal conservatives, including the Bushes (Neil is actually a pretty fun guy). They still know I'm a liberal dem and no one shuns me. I also have a lot of friends who are current and former professional athletes -- guys you would know -- who have tons of gays in their circles. If you go around looking to be offended and outraged by a right-wing tool, I'm sure you can find someone who can help you if you look hard enough. Or in the suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2010 11:25 PM

Yes the suburbs have a lot of the Limbaugh crowd, but you're going to find a whole lot of ethnic diversity in the city. Getting inside the west loop you will find a lot of the funkier areas like The Heights, Montrose, West University and midtown. There's 1 rail line with 3 others being built and 2 others supposedly to follow. Yes it's very sprawling, but people tend to stay in their general area unless they're going into downtown to see a game or a play or something. I-10 was expanded recently, which helps the flow of traffic, but it can be hard to get over to exit on a 6 lane freeway. There supposed to be building a theme park named Earth Quest soon.

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2010 11:43 PM

It's pretty clear from this thread that the rethugs in TX have trained their gays well.

by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2010 12:16 AM

I was born there, spent most of my childhood in various great Houston neighborhoods (Memorial, River Oaks) and now live in Dallas. In my experience people in Houston are friendlier and more genuine than one typically encounters in large cities (definitely friendlier than folks here in Dallas).%0D %0D Despite the humidity I prefer the tropical feel of Houston to the North Texas climate which is much hotter and drier in summer and colder in winter. Houston doesn't really have winter. Fall is wonderful there because the humidity relents for a brief while and it's neither hot nor cold. The restaurants are better in Houston as well. The traffic totally sucks in both Dallas and Houston so I can't argue with that.

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2010 12:19 AM

Seriously, R12? Do you live here? Or are you conveying your disdain from afar? If so, shut up. I guess the "rethugs" have trained our openly lesbian mayor well, too.

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2010 12:20 AM

OP, don't listen to these snarky up north queers. They're going to shit on any place that's not what they consider a "gay mecca". They measure their self worth mainly with being able to say they live in a certain city.

If you pay any attention to these cuntwipes then you're as stupid as they are pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2010 12:22 AM

I fled a Houston childhood and never looked back. If you insist on moving to Texas, then go to Austin. But, really, why are you even thinking of this move? Do you live in Wasilla?

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2010 12:22 AM

R7, where in the world are you meeting all these gay republicans? I don't think I've ever seen one in real life.

by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2010 12:27 AM

OP here, thanks for the feedback. I'm curious: I went on Google Streetview to look at Montrose, the gay neighborhood, and it looks very shabby. The area around the gay bars looks like a dump. Am I getting the wrong impression?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2010 12:53 AM

Ha ha, you don't want to live by the bars. Unless you're some meth prostitute or aging queen. The rest of Montrose is pretty nice, it can vary from block to block. The Heights is also good, although it tilts lesbians with cats.

by Anonymousreply 19July 22, 2010 1:55 AM

Houston is great. Don't be prissy, OP, live in Montrose. Come on, you queens, admit it: Houston is the only major city in the US with a lesbian mayor. It's the 4th largest city in the country! NYC, LA, Chicago, and then Houston: four points of the nation. And which of the top three cities has a lesbian mayor? Exactly none.

Houston is much hipper than you'd think. And it is ethnically and linguistically almost as diverse as Queens. I don't agree with the above poster who said the restaurants are great. I found the restaurants so-so. But I actually found Houston to be more liberal, in some ways, than NYC. Well, the progressive-type-people who live "inside the loop" - inside the highways that ring Montrose and downtown - are aware of being surrounded by conservatives, and consequently they are more liberal than New Yorkers who take liberalism for granted.

The place needs better public transportation! It does have itself a problem with meth labs, especially in the area of Montrose closest to downtown. But it's wildly affordable, it has lots of fun architecture, the oil millionaires have made a point of buying a lot of art, it has a big ethnic-Chinese Vietnamese community, lots of Indians-from-India, a black community with a long history in the area, Mexican Americans - it's totally a swell place.

The humidity is awful. Don't walk outside in July. But it's a Gulf Coast city, not really a Texan city, and though it's nothing like New Orleans, nonetheless, it has more in common with NO than it does with Dallas or Austin.

by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2010 2:10 AM

I live in Katy, and like I said, the majority of Republicans I know are white, gay men. The one Tea Partier I know is a really nice guy married to a really nice Latino woman, and neither of them are even remotely bigoted. They're socially liberal, but Fox News has brainwashed them into believing the reason they pay 50% in taxes ($90,000 of $200,000) is because of liberals. I've told them they're not in the upper 10%, and I've told them that the reason they're taxed so much is because the tax plan hasn't been adjusted since it was instituted. At that time, making $200,000 (joint or not) may as well have been an easy 10 times as much. The reason liberals can't adjust the proportionate income tax system is the same reason they haven't been able to adjust Social Security. Neither the Democratic nor Republican Parties will allow it. They don't believe me, because people on TV...

by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2010 2:20 AM

Not the OP, but I appreciate hearing all the good stuff about Houston--I just accepted a job at one of the universities there and I'll be starting in a few weeks. Can anyone give advice on areas to absolutely avoid for housing?

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2010 2:26 AM

Houston is a very laissez-faire place. Most people are open minded - lots of libertarian type republicans who like our mayor. She's an accountant who happens to be a lesbian and is doing a great job cleaning up Bill White's financial mess. %0D %0D Houston is in the middle of a forest - LOTS of trees - close to the Gulf, awesome food of many cultures. Not snobby at all, but great people.%0D %0D Learn to handle the heat and traffic - they are manageable. Superb fall, winter, and spring. Cheap flights from good airports all over the world.%0D %0D NO INCOME TAX.%0D %0D There's more but come down and see it. Tons of hot gay guys too.

by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2010 2:31 AM

Houston is the armpit of Texas. The only people who like it are the ones who grew up there. I can not overstate how miserable you are likely to be. Dallas is not much better; all strip malls, concrete, and some weirdly unexplainable pretentiousness. San Antonio is a filthy sty that is like a third world city outside of the Riverwalk tourist area.

Austin is the only halfway decent place I could ever call home in Texas. I say this as a native Texan who lived in several parts of the state. No job is worth moving to Houston. Not one.

by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2010 2:32 AM

Don't live outside the loop! Or, maybe I mean: Stick to Montrose and the Heights, and you'll be fine. For god's sake don't go moving into any suburbs!

What university, by the way? Rice? U of Houston?

by Anonymousreply 25July 22, 2010 2:33 AM

Of course Neil is a pretty fun guy. He sucked Silverado Savings and Loan dry. I'd be a fucking riot if I did that.

by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2010 2:37 AM

"Houston is much hipper than you'd think. And it is ethnically and linguistically almost as diverse as Queens"

I'll admit, that is true. But imagine queens S-P-R-E-A-D O-U-T over four hundred Miles -

Houston is so distant and watered down that any culture immediately evaporates

by Anonymousreply 27July 22, 2010 2:38 AM

Enjoy the flying cockroaches! Hugs!

by Anonymousreply 28July 22, 2010 2:46 AM

Oh, I don't know, it's not as bad as you say, r 27. It has some swell museums. And the Rothko Chapel - which, actually, I don't like so much. And there's that gallery dedicated entirely to Cy Twombly, whom I adore. There's the Menil Museum, with its wonderful collection of surrealist art. Surrealism and Houston! A more apt combination than you might at first suspect!

And there are those wonderful middle-of-the-day out-of-the-blue heavy, brief rainshowers in October, or April, or August, just this sudden amazing downpour, and if you're driving your car at the time, it's like your in a capsule, it's weirdly and enjoyably isolating, and then afterwards, I don't know, it's like you were washed clean in the river, and you can start your day over again, a little.

Cheap rents! Cheap houses to buy!

And there's lots of Philip Johnson architecture. It's an architecture town, sort of an anthology of postmodern architecture from the 1980s.

Wonderful fogs.

You can hear the train going by at night, as if the city were a set for A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE.

The chicken apple sausage at Baby Barnaby's!

I totally liked the place. And I'm the biggest Manhattan-snob who ever lived.

by Anonymousreply 29July 22, 2010 2:50 AM

Enjoy the bed bugs in NYC!%0D %0D Hugs!%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 30July 22, 2010 2:59 AM

R26, say what you want about Neil (and his crazy ex wife Sharon or his mousy, sweet new wife Maria), but he's a solid guy and he's invested in some of my deals so fuck you I like him. Some of us can reach across the aisle. And seriously, I don't want or need your approval. I'm just telling you how things go down here. Stay outraged.

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2010 3:26 AM

R21, you live in katy. Enough said. You don't live anywhere near Houston so stop trying to chime in. You're a suburban fellow. Your opinions of the city are about as valid as that of a Des Moines resident.

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2010 3:28 AM

"Enjoy the bed bugs in NYC!"

We save them for the tourists.

by Anonymousreply 33July 22, 2010 3:32 AM

Stupid comments.

by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2010 3:33 AM

[quote]You're a suburban fellow.

HELL! Katy is RURAL!!!

by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2010 3:34 AM

R22, school zones are important in terms of home resale value, which is probably why a lot of people live on the outskirts in places like The Woodlands, Sugar Land, and Katy. You'll probably want to rent for 6 months to explore your options. Bellaire's a good area if you can afford it.

by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2010 3:48 AM

Defensive much R14? I based my comment on the posts apologizing for and praising republicans - you know the people who want to make being gay illegal. Guess you have been trained well. Now kindly fuck off, sugah.

by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2010 3:58 AM

No, I'm not defensive, sugah. I'm happy. You are not, apparently. Come on down and we'll take real good care of you. Even if you're an insufferable douche.

by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2010 4:09 AM

TSU, R25.

by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2010 11:07 AM

Lifelong Texan here who regularly visits people in Katy. You do not want to live there, as it is 99% republican, concrete, and big box stores among the ricky, ticky, tacky, big boxy houses and mcmansions. It feels like the hottest place(real feel)in Texas. West U is a great area and was even better 15-20 years ago, before the chain stores came in. Laughing hilariously at r9, who is one of those queens living to get her picture in the social section, of The Houston Chronicle. The most difficult adjustment I have seen people make when they move here is to the humidity. It is the chief complaint I have heard from newcomers through the years.

by Anonymousreply 40July 22, 2010 11:53 AM

R22, agree with the advice to rent first - you can find a nice place on a 6 month lease and take our time finding the right neighborhood. The Heights is very livable and feels like a little city.%0D %0D The city is littered with fascinating small places to eat, art, and good people. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 41July 22, 2010 12:52 PM

[quote]Montrose, the gay neighborhood, and it looks very shabby%0D %0D The area around the bars on Pacific street is indeed shabby. It's the old core of bohemia and is now populated by hustlers and addicts, not where you want to live at all. But Montrose is very large, especially if you stretch the definition to include the Museum District, Midtown, and the areas along Memorial and Washington. Hell, even River Oaks, West University Place and the Rice Village are great. Just stay anywhere inside the *western* half inside Loop 610, and you'll be golden. %0D %0D TSU: *do not live near TSU or U of H.* That's a higher-crime area.

by Anonymousreply 42July 22, 2010 1:10 PM

You guys are fantastic for providing information!%0D %0D Thanks for the advice, R42--I was planning on avoiding housing in the area because I don't want to live in a student ghetto (with a 24/7 party all around).%0D %0D What about public transportation? How bad does it suck and is it safe?

by Anonymousreply 43July 22, 2010 1:24 PM

it's safe I guess, but shitty. You'll need a car.

by Anonymousreply 44July 22, 2010 1:30 PM

[quote]student ghetto %0D %0D That's the least of UH/TSU's problems. TSU doesn't really have "dorms", but it does own some rather nice apartment complexes nearby that don't really promote a party atmosphere. UH does have a couple of dorms, but like TSU it's mostly a commuter school. No, the problem with that neighborhood is just that it's low-income/high crime. %0D %0D Look at a map of Houston and find the South Freeway (288) just to the west of TSU. You want to live *west* of 288. Trust. %0D %0D OK, public transportation: apart from the one light rail line (more are being built as I type), it's all bus-based. It's an extensive and very efficient system and very widely used... almost entirely by the city's millions of indigent. (Houston has a ***lot*** of homeless.) Seriously, everyone who can afford to drive, does. %0D %0D There are two pleasant bus routes patronized by a more middle-class ridership: the 81/82 Westheimer buses connecting Downtown to the Galleria; and the 34 Montrose Crosstown connecting the Heights to the Texas Medical Center and the light rail line. All other routes, to be candid, are loud and smelly. Sorry, they just are.

by Anonymousreply 45July 22, 2010 1:37 PM

There is a crosstown route (42 Holman) that connects the corner of Montrose and Westheimer to TSU and UH, but it goes through gang territory east of 288. The only time I've been anywhere near a gang fight was on an ill-considered ride on the 42, scared shitless.%0D %0D UH and TSU are also served by the 68 Braes Bayou crosstown from the Texas Medical Center, going down somewhat safer thoroughfares, but it meanders and takes *forfuckingever*. Just drive; it's a quick trip down MacGregor from Rice.

by Anonymousreply 46July 22, 2010 1:41 PM

The foul odor issue is valid, but it tends to be worse in areas closer to the Ship Channel and Galveston Bay (i.e., the east side).

The homeless situation mentioned above bears repeating, if only because in this economy the very poor are increasingly desperate and aggressive in their panhandling techniques. This happens mostly downtown after dark and near the Galleria.

Another thing to mention is that Houston is built on very low-lying land and crisscrossed by a network of bayous that drain into the bay. Thus when it rains, it floods, again especially on the east and north sides of town. These areas are largely poor, and the hardships inflicted by the frequent flooding are heartbreaking. But even the wealthier neighborhoods inside the Loop are prone to flash floods. It's crazy.

by Anonymousreply 47July 22, 2010 2:44 PM

Houston's homeless population is less than San Francisco and LA, but like many cities, most of them probably need psychiatric help most of all. %0D %0D Completely agree you need a car. Public transportation, though well organized, is only suitable if you go point to point and nowhere else. The city is VERY spread out - it's ENORMOUS, and everyone has a car.%0D %0D Live inside the Beltway - don't limit yourself to the Loop, though you might enjoy it there. Apartment rents are very reasonable.%0D %0D And, OP, did I mention THERE'S NO INCOME TAX!

by Anonymousreply 48July 22, 2010 2:48 PM

I haven't been to Houston in years (I'm an Austin Queen)...but, during my youth when I was recently out gay friends and I used to go there every weekend, get shit faced drunk, and spend a night of debauchery in the Baths. Houston gay night life was awesome for a 20 something gay boy. Ahhh....the memories. Go to Mary's if you go...the place is billed as a Leather bar but all types go there. No fluff; no potted fucking plants to bang your head on; no cookie smelling bartenders; to use an old expression: "It's a Hoot." Oh yea...that was back in the 70's when being gay was fun and couldn't kill you with disease.

by Anonymousreply 49July 22, 2010 2:54 PM

OP...most of Texas has shitty public transportation. You will definitely need a car. Plus, get out of Houston proper and do some sight seeing. New Orleans isn't all that far away and Austin is only a 3 hour drive away. Despite what most of the Texas hating trolls say, I've lived in Texas all of my life and I love the state. The culture and scenery are very diverse. The economy here is much better than say...oh, I don't know...NEW FUCKING YORK. LOL Just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 50July 22, 2010 2:57 PM

Oh yea...almost forgot. No state income tax. I turned down a good job in California because State and federal taxes had me back at my same salary so the move would have been a wash financially. I've worked in the High Tech sector here in Austin for many years and have yet to be unemployed (Knocks wood).

by Anonymousreply 51July 22, 2010 3:00 PM

[quote]everyone has a car

I don't. I live in the Heights and work downtown, so my point-to-point commute on the bus is a breeze.

However, if I have to go anywhere else beyond that Heights-downtown axis or to the Med Center, I curse my life. Especially if it's hot; unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 52July 22, 2010 3:04 PM

[quote]Go to Mary's if you go...

Mary's is gone. The Ripcord is still very much around.

The most fun is to be had at the Brazos River Bottoms, a country-western gay bar.

by Anonymousreply 53July 22, 2010 3:07 PM

Great Houston story in The Guardian today: "Novel approach: reading courses as an alternative to prison... In Texas, offenders are being sent on reading courses instead of prison."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 22, 2010 3:19 PM

What's with you pussies who don't like public transportation? I lived in Houston for five months, without a car. I was living in Montrose and working at U of H. I forget the name of the bus route down Westheimer to the U of H campus, but it was a 20-minute ride, it was safe and smooth and reliable, nothing smelled, it cost maybe 2 bucks - I can't recall! - and while I admit that there were in fact a fair number of blonde-headed, shaggy bearded, skinny homeless alcoholic white guys riding the buses around, well: The NYC subway system is also a homeless-shelter-on-wheels, and I am not fazed by homeless people on subways and buses. And why should you be?

I hate hearing people trash public buses, just because poor people and black people and brown people and broke students use them. If you want to live your life sealed in a car, without contact with another human being, except for when you walk into the mall - well, then, you'll have a superficial experience of Houston, and I'm sorry for you.

I admit that I was irritated that the buses stopped running well before midnight. Houston is a closed-at-10-PM kind of town, except for the bars. And the bus thing can be a challenge if you're making complicated moves around town, from one neighborhood to another. But it can be done. And I had a bicycle the whole time I was there, and that was bliss. Okay, I wasn't there in June/July/August, and I'm sure biking during those hot months would be brutal.

But the weather was less oppressive than I had been led to believe, and I for one would not have had as good a time there if I'd had my own car.

by Anonymousreply 55July 22, 2010 3:24 PM

[quote]Okay, I wasn't there in June/July/August, and I'm sure biking during those hot months would be brutal... But the weather was less oppressive than I had been led to believe, and I for one would not have had as good a time there if I'd had my own car.

It's exactly because you weren't here during June/July/August. Those months make you want to die in this place. During winter and spring this city is bliss.

I'm R52 above in the Heights. I'm blessed with a number of routes from which to choose; the most direct routes head straight down Main past the Salvation Army shelter, so the bus is always full of men who are not exactly at their freshest. My only objection is the smell, especially in the summer. But it's only ten minutes, anyone can put up with that for ten minutes.

by Anonymousreply 56July 22, 2010 3:36 PM

Vive la public transportation!

by Anonymousreply 57July 22, 2010 3:44 PM

One more question--what exactly is "The Heights"--I'm trying to use a property-finder search engine and I can't pinpoint that district. %0D %0D And thanks again, you guys are the best.

by Anonymousreply 58July 22, 2010 3:44 PM

The climate in Hoston is horrendous. It is unbearably hot and humid. Do not move there until you visit in the summer which lasts about 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 59July 22, 2010 3:47 PM

Houston Heights was a suburb to the northwest of what is now downtown Houston. It was annexed to Houston proper in the early 20th century. Anyway, these days it's used broadly to mean anything north of Buffalo Bayou (some would say north of I-10), west of downtown, bounded on the west and north by Loop 610.

by Anonymousreply 60July 22, 2010 3:49 PM

Try zip code 77009 for the Heights.

by Anonymousreply 61July 22, 2010 3:49 PM

Here's a map, OP. You'll see the Heights centered on Heights Blvd. Zoom out to get an idea of where the neighborhood is in relation to downtown.

(For some reason it says "West University Place, TX". No. West U is an enclave a few miles to the south, nowhere near the Heights.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 22, 2010 3:53 PM

Heights is 77007-77008-plus 77009 to the west of I-45.

by Anonymousreply 63July 22, 2010 3:54 PM

I'D sooner move to hell with that climate

by Anonymousreply 64July 22, 2010 3:54 PM

If you'll be working at UH, and you want to take the bus to work, look for apartments that are on the bus lines running directly to UH. What'll kill you in Houston is waiting to transfer buses in the heat. Look at route 68 Brays Bayou, which runs from UH to the Medical Center out to the Meyerland area. There's a good variety of apartments on North Braeswood, from new complexes to some good older ones with lower rents. Also look at 42 Holman, which runs west as far as one block past Montrose Blvd.

by Anonymousreply 65July 22, 2010 3:54 PM

R60/R61, thank you very, very much!

by Anonymousreply 66July 22, 2010 3:56 PM

I never knew we had bus queens in Houston.

by Anonymousreply 67July 22, 2010 4:02 PM

I'm from Houston, and the happiest day of my life was when I moved away from that horrible place for good. I realize now that I never really went outside... ever. too damn hot!

by Anonymousreply 68July 22, 2010 4:09 PM

I'm from Houston, and the happiest day of my life was when I moved away from that horrible place for good. I realize now that I never really went outside... ever. too damn hot!

by Anonymousreply 69July 22, 2010 4:09 PM

Nothing better than buses.

Houston also has its one lone train line, of course, and it's a swell little train, but it's useless unless you're going straight from dowtown to the Medical Center and back. The city needs to put that train line down Richardson. Any progress with that?

I was there from late August to early February, and while it's true that the heat didn't really break until early November, nonetheless: I didn't mind it so much! Well, there is more variety of weather than you might imagine. It is not one constant blanketing wave of intense heat at all times. There's plenty of rainfall, the weather is in fact kind of moody, the fog is fun, and. . . I don't know, if you like steamy beach towns, Houston is kind of a giant steamy beach town, except with swamps. That doesn't sound very appetizing, does it?

In any case, the weather is so satisfying from November until April. 6 months of nice mild LA-type weather, except with more moisture in the air than LA.

Don't forget to get breakfast at Baby Barnaby's.

by Anonymousreply 70July 22, 2010 4:10 PM

[quote] The city needs to put that train line down Richardson. Any progress with that?

Richmond. And no, the residents of the Afton Oaks subdivision adjacent to Greenway Plaza are still having a shitfit about the idea of the trees in the median needing to be torn down to build the train. The alternative is to build the rail down Westpark.

They are actually building a new rail line as I type between downtown and UH. Not convenient to TSU, I'm afraid. They're also extending the current line north from downtown to almost-the-Heights, parallel to 45. The idea is eventually to have it go all the way to Intercontinental Airport.

by Anonymousreply 71July 22, 2010 4:17 PM

Oh, oops, Richmond, yikes, sorry. I'm old, I forget.

A train to U of H would be swell. Ditto one to the Bush Airport. I thought the city voted long ago to approve a line down Richmond. What's their problem? If the city had more public transport, everybody would be happier.

by Anonymousreply 72July 22, 2010 4:24 PM

[quote]If the city had more public transport, everybody would be happier.

No, residents of affluent neighborhoods don't like public transportation because it brings in riffraff. As stated above, people who can afford to drive appear completely unable to conceive of the idea of sharing public space with the indigent. Whether down Richmond or Westpark, the rail line to the will serve (in the minds of the rich) only to bring in more homeless to loiter in the Galleria and panhandle on Post Oak.

by Anonymousreply 73July 22, 2010 4:30 PM

And if the train line ran down Richmond, it would be easy to take a shuttle from a Post Oak stop down to the Galleria, which would alleviate some of the parking and traffic congestion in the area.

One of the reasons the transit system in Houston is so backwards is that Tom DeLay (you remember him?) fucked over a federal initiative to dump a bunch of money into Houston mass transit. He got the project canceled out of spite because the planners hadn't gotten his blessing. I'm not fucking kidding. That was back in the late 80s or early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 74July 22, 2010 4:31 PM

[quote]And if the train line ran down Richmond, it would be easy to take a shuttle from a Post Oak stop down to the Galleria, which would alleviate some of the parking and traffic congestion in the area.

Actually, the current plan is to build a line from Midtown down Westpark to the Hillcroft Transit Center, then another line between Hillcroft and Northwest Transit Center up Post Oak, right past the Galleria. No shuttles needed.

by Anonymousreply 75July 22, 2010 4:34 PM

Houston, just like every other place on earth, has its good and bad. It's sweltering in the summer but stay inside, that's why AC was invented. I've lived in several large cities and Houston is not any better or any worse than them. What it definitely has going for it is a great economy, inexpensive housing and no income tax and great diversity. The people are friendly. Dallas on the other hand is full of stuck up unfriendly snobs. No clue why because Dallas really does suck. I don't even want to drive through there.

by Anonymousreply 76July 22, 2010 4:57 PM

Be sure you visit about the second week in August and spend lots of time outside.

by Anonymousreply 77July 22, 2010 5:01 PM

Here's a taste of the Houston social set on Nantucket-- B52s and everything!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 22, 2010 5:13 PM

And the glam, friend-to-rock-stars Lynn Wyatt on Nantucket:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 22, 2010 5:14 PM

I thought Lynn Wyatt's husband was in big trouble for financial shady dealing. What happened to that? Didn't they lose their Houston mansion?

by Anonymousreply 80July 22, 2010 5:24 PM

That's funny. I was just reading that on culturemap, too. Milton looks great; what is up with Jackson's teeth? He doesn't smoke but they are yellow/brown.

by Anonymousreply 81July 22, 2010 5:25 PM

Oscar Wyatt is still in prison, to my knowledge, but Lynn still lives in their mansion.

by Anonymousreply 82July 22, 2010 5:28 PM

Oscar's been out of jail for a while. He still goes into the office a few days a week, but basically just slumps in his chair. He can speak, but he's slurry. It's a very disturbing sight. No, they didn't lose their mansion; they sold it to Jim and Cherie Flores who did a total gut on it and even added on. The existing kitchen and servants quarters were in complete disrepair because the house was in Lynn's name and she got a limited allowance to spend at her discretion. Of course, all her money went to clothes and travel etc (of course, traveling on the Coastal corporate jet is free). Anyway, the servants were living without heat or air conditioning while she was out cavorting with Elton John.

by Anonymousreply 83July 22, 2010 5:31 PM

And remember that in Houston you can have Schweddy Balls all year round!

by Anonymousreply 84July 22, 2010 5:33 PM

What do we know about Lynn Wyatt's son Brad? Early 40s and unmarried? Hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 85July 22, 2010 5:39 PM

Whatever happened to Steve Wyatt? Wasn't he the good-looking one who fucked Sarah Ferguson?

by Anonymousreply 86July 22, 2010 6:07 PM

Wow, I never, ever made the connection that Fergie's Steve Wyatt was Lynn Wyatt's stepson.

I met Oscar's son Carl (I guess from a previous marriage?) a couple of times at parties twenty years ago. He's gay.

by Anonymousreply 87July 22, 2010 6:40 PM

Um, sorry, I meant Lynn Wyatt's son. I was thinking ahead to my next paragraph about her stepson, and brainfart happened.

by Anonymousreply 88July 22, 2010 6:42 PM

Her first husband was a bi-polar murderer who offed a hooker and went to jail. True.

by Anonymousreply 89July 22, 2010 7:17 PM

Plus, in Houston, on West Gray, right before the gaping mouth of River Oaks, there are two Starbucks stores staring at each other across the street. And there's another Starbucks at the east end of River Oaks near downtown. You can spend your day riding the bus back and forth on West Gray, going from one Starbucks to the other; or: You can just walk back and forth across the street.

What other city has that?

by Anonymousreply 90July 22, 2010 8:01 PM

R90, there are *four* Starbucks stores at the corner of Post Oak and Westheimer alone. One standalone, one adjacent to the Barnes & Noble, one in the Galleria I and one in Galleria II.

4 Houston Center downtown has two Starbucks stores, one on the third floor and one on the fourth.

The two Starbucks you mention at Gray and Shepherd compete with the B&N Caf%C3%83%C2%A9 right next door.

Multiple Starbucks are the norm here, even after all the locations they've closed.

by Anonymousreply 91July 22, 2010 8:26 PM

Oops, I mean to say, not "at the east end of River Oaks," but rather, "at the east end of West Gray." That's my favorite Houston Starbux, and it's the one that one of its baristas once described to me as "our New York-style Starbucks," and I wonder what she meant by that, except that it was kind of spare and stark and minimalist, maybe somebody's idea of what a Starbux looks like in Soho. . .

Anyway, there are wraparound windows in that particular Starbux, and you can sit there early in the morning and watch the fog clear, as the downtown skyscrapers become slowly visible, and the most immediately visible is the ExxonMobil Building, formerly the Humble Building, and when it was built in 1963, it was the tallest building west of the Mississippi.

Wikipedia says the building has "cantilevered seven-foot-wide shades on each floor, jutting from the side of the building to provide shade from the daytime sun."

Those protruding cantilevered shades are very swell.

It's at 800 Bell Avenue, and it was designed by Welton Becket Associates.

I put a link here to a photo of the thing, and I hope it works.f

I love Houston architecture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 22, 2010 8:38 PM

I'd be embarrassed to tell anyone that I lived ANYWHERE in Texas. Ewwwwww.

by Anonymousreply 93July 22, 2010 8:45 PM

Welton Becket also designed the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood, yay, and the Capitol Records Tower at Hollywood and Vine, not to mention the Santa Monica Civic Center. We love Welton Becket.

by Anonymousreply 94July 22, 2010 8:46 PM

Why can't you queens keep up?

by Anonymousreply 95July 23, 2010 1:05 AM

I once celebrated New Year's Eve at a gas station outside of Houston. My friend and I were too hungover from New Orleans to make it to Austin so drank the worst wine either of us have ever had out of plastic cups and ate popsicles.

by Anonymousreply 96July 23, 2010 1:11 AM

Marvin Zindler -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97July 23, 2010 2:10 AM

I miss Marvin. His famous sign off and "Slime in the Ice Machine!" and Dave Ward sublimely saying "Thank You, Marvin"%0D %0D

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98July 23, 2010 2:26 AM

I always got the vibe that Dave Ward thought Marvin was a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 99July 23, 2010 2:36 AM

I miss Marvin too. Houston owes him big for taking on the Hermann Trust and winning.

by Anonymousreply 100July 23, 2010 2:40 AM

" you live in katy. Enough said. You don't live anywhere near Houston so stop trying to chime in. You're a suburban fellow. Your opinions of the city are about as valid as that of a Des Moines resident."%0D %0D How surprising you're as ignorant as you are snobby. You think I don't go to Houston? You think I don't know anyone that lives in Houston? You think I don't partake in our city's culture? I happen to live in a part of Katy that still allows people to keep livestock with houses on 2-4 acre plots with no fences. We're good neighbors here, and so we don't need them. You act as if Katy is 30 miles outside San Antonio. It takes 40 minutes in traffic for me to reach the theater district, but you'd know that if you'd ever looked at a damn map.

by Anonymousreply 101July 23, 2010 3:05 AM

Debutantes run wild -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 23, 2010 3:39 AM

"Cabaret for a Cure" - and gayfaces run amok -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 23, 2010 3:40 AM

You queens pretending that having no income tax is a major plus are seriously deluded. That only works to your advantage if you never own property because the local property taxes are incredibly outrageous to be able to pay for schools and very limited government services (which usually suck). If you are a property owner, you end up paying about the same as in a lot of other states that just collect a personal income tax up front.

Everyone is hit with sales taxes that are astronomical. The bulk of it is a minimum collected by the state (for what, no one quite seems to know; the capitol building in Austin is nice). Each locality then gets to add their rates on top, so the total you pay on every purchase is regularly over 8% depending where you are at the time you buy something. 8.25% is the current cap, I think, and anywhere in Houston is going to have the max rate. It's a very regressive tax system that most affects those who often can afford it the least. Typical Republican bullshit, in other words.

And your summer utility bills in Houston will be breathtakingly expensive. And don't forget that it stinks, you have to drive everywhere (it regularly swaps the top spot in obesity rates with other equally charming places), the humidity will make you suicidal, and, in general, it's a shit-hole. Have fun!

by Anonymousreply 104July 23, 2010 3:49 AM

LOVED Marvin.

by Anonymousreply 105July 23, 2010 4:03 AM

And R104, the yearly car fees/registration in Texas are among the highest in the nation. Just don't call it a tax!!!!

by Anonymousreply 106July 23, 2010 4:09 AM

MAAARVIN...%0D %0D Dom DeLuise's character in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas was based on dear old Marvin. %0D %0D The true story is that the chicken ranch was actually well liked by the people of La Grange. Marvin's neice began working there to make money for college, and he had a fit. She wouldn't quit, and so he did his expose. After that, an Eye Witness News van couldn't come within 30 miles of La Grange without every cop car in the city pulling it over and issuing it a ticket for something or other.

by Anonymousreply 107July 23, 2010 4:09 AM

It doesn't stink unless you live in Channelview with the cheerleader murder mom. The property tax really depends on the worth of your property. Mine's not too bad. Sales taxes are not astronomical that I'm aware of. The weather's pretty agreeable form October until May.

by Anonymousreply 108July 23, 2010 4:15 AM

I stayed at a b&b that had a lot of memorabilia from the Chicken Ranch. I slept in the madam's bed. The owners collected the stuff.

by Anonymousreply 109July 23, 2010 4:21 AM

Sales taxes in Houston are 8.25%, lower than NYC and other major cities - at least no higher. The cost of living is much much lower than any other US city this size.%0D %0D You can average your utility bills. While air conditioning runs high in the summer, in the winter the bills are extremely low.%0D %0D There's an energy here - things are being built -high rises, office buildings, and homes. You don't sense the economic downturn, though Houston has 8% unemployment but is creating jobs.%0D %0D The no income tax is HUGE - there's also no estate tax. Gasoline is inexpensive compared to anywhere else, and food is dirt cheap, fresh, and ample. Restaurants are really reasonable compared to any other major city and range across the ethnic spectrum.%0D %0D Art and theatre are amazing and affordable too. Yes, it's humid, but it's also air conditioned - even the baseball field and football stadiums have a/c. Millions of trees and flowers. Things bloom all year round.%0D %0D There are pitfalls to every city, but this is place with good people, tolerant, and fun. If you don't like that, then please stay where you are.

by Anonymousreply 110July 23, 2010 4:28 AM

Houstonian here. I remember some neighbors I had who got transferred from New York because of his job. He was friendly enough but his wife would not come out, speak or anything. Finally one night I asked him about it and he said she was a New Yorker through and through and absolutely hated moving to Texas because she had been so brainwashed to believe the absolute worst. Kind of turned me off to insular yankees. I can't imagine being that close-minded about anything. I would give any place a try before judging. It's beyond by comprehension how someone can be so prejudiced about a place they haven't ever been before. Yeah, we had Bush but we also elected Ann Richards who was one hell of a broad.

by Anonymousreply 111July 23, 2010 4:38 AM

I am judging Houston based on intimate knowledge of the entire city as well as a born and bred Texan who lived there well into adulthood. It's a cesspool, and I'm glad I don't live there anymore. I can barely stand to visit my family who still live in the state (albeit in much better parts, which is like being the thinnest kid at a fat camp).

Ann Richards was voted out after one term and replaced by Bush, so fuck that argument. She was the best governor that state had (which is a real figurehead, do-nothing job) and the electorate booted her out. It made me physically ill and still turns my stomach when I think about it.

I still caution OP to seriously reconsider the move. It's a mistake. You in danger, girl!

by Anonymousreply 112July 23, 2010 4:50 AM

Just for you post[R110], I think you should be crowned "Miss Houston 2010"!

by Anonymousreply 113July 23, 2010 4:53 AM

It's disco night at Armandos bitches!

by Anonymousreply 114July 23, 2010 5:23 AM

Where, pray tell, do you live now R112? Let me guess, New York. The place where gay mayors remain permanently in the closet. I hope your family rolls their eyes every Christmas when you visit, along with the anorexic twink you are seeing who tagged along, all the while acting like you're slumming. I imagine New York rolls its eyes too when you get back in town.

by Anonymousreply 115July 23, 2010 5:26 AM

I do not, nor do I have a desire to, live in NYC, though I did live in Westchester for a couple of years about a decade ago.

Here's a shout-out to Texas, if I must: people in the most backwards part of that state are still generally more open-minded and accepting than native New Yorkers. I was actually quite surprised that I encountered more overt racism in the Northeast than in the South. As an example, I'd never heard the term "darkie" in reference to a black person for the 20-odd years I lived in Texas. Most racism in the South tends to be more subtle because they have a complex about not wanting to be seen as a racist.

by Anonymousreply 116July 23, 2010 5:38 AM

No they aren't R112. You are confusing the face people show you with how they really act and vote. It's like how you are safer with the Jersey Shore people on gays, despite their jokes and stereotypes, than among sweet as sugar Mormons.%0D

by Anonymousreply 117July 23, 2010 8:01 AM

This thread is useless without kirker.

by Anonymousreply 118July 23, 2010 8:44 AM

Yes, it is rather humid, but the azaleas seem to like it...

by Anonymousreply 119July 23, 2010 10:54 AM

Oh honey, Texans are sweet as pie to your face. They want to know how much money you make, if your family has money, what church you go to and how you vote. Don't fool yourself that they are genuinely interested in you as a person.

by Anonymousreply 120July 23, 2010 1:59 PM

Don't forget to visit Pasa-whatsthatsmell-dena

by Anonymousreply 121July 23, 2010 2:12 PM

Pasadena is like 20 - 30 miles away, so that's irrelevant. That's like saying I want to move to New York and someone chimes in with, "don't forget to visit the Arthur Kill on Staten Island."

by Anonymousreply 122July 23, 2010 3:56 PM

I looooove the Arthur Kill on Staten Island.

If I were a drag king, that'd be my name: Arthur Kill.

by Anonymousreply 123July 23, 2010 11:50 PM

It's actually Pasa-get-down-dena

by Anonymousreply 124July 24, 2010 9:19 PM

I'd always heard it called "Stinkadena."

by Anonymousreply 125July 24, 2010 9:25 PM

If I lived in Houston, I'd want to be in that spot right up above the University of Houston/Downtown, just beyond where the light rail ends - there's a kind of funky space near some freeway interchanges, and it's got a couple of big old industrial buildings, and there's an unexpected coffee shop down a side street. Maybe it's around Vine Street? I like industrial waste. Don't believe what anyone tells you - the East side of tow is the fun, desolate part, especially if you go directly east of downtown. But I'd say anything from Montrose Blvd through downtown and then east is where all the fun is. River Oaks, blech; the Heights is just Park Slope with flash floods (okay, whatever, it's called the "Heights," which means it's higher than the floodlands, but don't believe it, the whole city is just waiting to be washed away one of these days); and for god's sake you want nothing to do with the Galleria. You might as well live in the Paramus Mall in Jersey. And of course the suburbs are OUT OF THE QUESTION.

by Anonymousreply 126July 24, 2010 11:01 PM

Hey wise Houston queens--R22 here again.

So I'm coming to Houston next week for my housing search, and as advised I've been concentrating my search in the 77007-09 zip code area. I called a realtor (Coldwell Bank) yesterday and inquired about a couple of rental properties. The conversation went like this:

Realtor: So what areas are you looking at:

Me: The 77007-09 area.

R: (long pause) Have you seen those areas, been through the neighborhoods?

Me: No, I'm not in Houston yet, so I'm having to start my search remotely.

R: (another long pause) I'm not trying to insinuate anything bad, but you might not want to live in those areas once you see them. Let me make some suggestions.

The cost per month went WAY up after she starting making her suggestions. So are the aforementioned zip codes trashy, crime-ridden areas, or is she just trying to make a fast buck? Please be kind, this is my first foray into Texas housing!

by Anonymousreply 127July 30, 2010 1:28 PM

Trying to make a fast buck. And snobby. And uncool.

by Anonymousreply 128July 30, 2010 1:33 PM

She's full of shit R127. It looks to me like The Heights and River Oaks are in those zipcodes (on Google maps). River Oaks is where "Terms of Endearment" was filmed. A lot depends on your price range. I would think you could find something in The Heights or a bit more to the south in Montrose or even further to the south the West University area. If you work downtown there is one light rail line that goes from downtown to the medical center and Rice University.

by Anonymousreply 129July 31, 2010 3:53 AM

Go to www.har.com and search away. You can look by ZIP code or map.

by Anonymousreply 130August 1, 2010 2:42 AM

Thanks to everyone for their advice--and thanks for the har.com tip. I now have a shortlist of properties to look at next week.

See you in Houston, girls!

by Anonymousreply 131August 1, 2010 3:00 AM

Austin Is Overrated, Try Houston Instead, Says Most Insightful Travel Writer To Ever Grace The Web -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132April 10, 2013 8:15 PM

Good grief. This is bumped from 2010?

by Anonymousreply 133April 10, 2013 8:23 PM

Hey, it's unheard of for someone to rate Houston over Austin. Let us enjoy the strange moment.

by Anonymousreply 134April 11, 2013 12:34 AM

What is Sherman/Denison area like?

by Anonymousreply 135April 11, 2013 12:57 AM

I like Texans as a whole and have had an unusually high number of lovers from thar.

My concern are the bugs--how big? do they congregate in your homes?

Do the fucking roaches fly into your face or land on your shoulder?!!!

by Anonymousreply 136April 11, 2013 1:03 AM

There is an incredible Mexican restaurant in Houston great for brunch which has beautiful windows to large patio at the rear with strolling mariachis. I cannot think of the name?

by Anonymousreply 137April 11, 2013 1:27 AM

Houston- Pot holes GALORE. Dingy, smoggy, the ninth circle of hell actually. Pretty Pine trees and green, green, green. Backed my car into a ditch there. It takes 30-45 minutes to go from one side of town to the other. All the freeways are giant circles around each other. The area surrounding Rice University is quaint with some nice architecture, but the pot holes and trash ruin it. If you walk outside in August, you feel as if you've been sucked into a vat of heat.

by Anonymousreply 138April 11, 2013 1:35 AM

Usually not R136 but it does happen sometimes usually when you've just swatted or sprayed them. I think they get disoriented. They do crawl into houses sometimes but if you keep it exterminated they will be sluggish and die. They are actually lost and prefer living outside in the trees.

by Anonymousreply 139April 11, 2013 1:35 AM

Oh, TSU is like the lowest ranked college in the world, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 140April 11, 2013 1:37 AM

Maybe R140 but they have UT and A&M which are fairly respected. I know several people whose kids go to North TX State and TX Tech, which are also pretty good. My Dad graduated from NTS in journalism.

by Anonymousreply 141April 11, 2013 1:40 AM

Houston Rising—Why the Next Great American Cities Aren’t What You Think -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142April 13, 2013 7:18 PM

R137, there are more fabulous Mexican restaurants in Houston than you could ever count, but the reference to windows makes me think you mean Café Adobe on Westheimer at Shepherd.

by Anonymousreply 143April 13, 2013 7:28 PM

[quote]They're socially liberal, but Fox News has brainwashed them into believing the reason they pay 50% in taxes ($90,000 of $200,000) is because of liberals.

How is that possible? I'm in NYC and my tax rate is around 40%.

by Anonymousreply 144April 13, 2013 7:43 PM

Houston is not Republican. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 145April 13, 2013 7:48 PM

Texas' urban areas trend Democrat. Houston's mayor is an out lesbian. Dallas County had an out lesbian sheriff (I'm not sure if she's still in office.) There are still plenty of Republicans here, as shown by our congressional representation. But Democrats still get into office locally.

by Anonymousreply 146April 14, 2013 5:34 AM

R142, Joel Kotkin is obsessed with the suburban cities of this country, and he loves to distort facts (e.g., always citing rates instead of raw numbers, etc).

by Anonymousreply 147April 14, 2013 5:53 AM

That article could have been written in the 1950s. The attitudes behind it certainly date from that time.

Dallas and Houston have been going hell for leather into light rail and increasing their central densities.

If gas prices stay high, cities will return to higher densities.

by Anonymousreply 148April 14, 2013 7:42 PM

OP, you do realize there are crazy Democrats, too, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 149April 14, 2013 8:14 PM

I wish we could hear from R22/R127 again and find out where he ended up.

[quote]If I lived in Houston, I'd want to be in that spot right up above the University of Houston/Downtown, just beyond where the light rail ends - there's a kind of funky space near some freeway interchanges, and it's got a couple of big old industrial buildings, and there's an unexpected coffee shop down a side street. Maybe it's around Vine Street?

Three years after this was posted, the light rail now continues to the north beyond UH-D. There are indeed some nice lofts in that neighborhood, around DiverseWorks, the St. Arnold Brewing Company, and Oxheart, seriously one of the finest restaurants in the country.

by Anonymousreply 150April 14, 2013 8:57 PM

Should Houston be kept a secret?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151May 7, 2013 8:02 PM

Do we know what the OP ultimately decided? I found this thread because I was just offered a job in Houston. I'm in NYC and don't think Houston would be for me, but was curious what others had to say.

by Anonymousreply 152February 2, 2014 5:13 AM

The Montrose Mining company -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153February 5, 2014 10:35 PM

A Houston new story from today-

THIEVES STEAL GROCERIES FROM SUV AFTER WOMAN KILLED IN WRECK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154June 6, 2014 10:06 PM

Houston's Whole Foods has its own brewery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155November 27, 2014 12:07 AM

If you're from NYC think of the huge amount of house you'd get. And pretty much like people said here, there is not a lot of -isms, people don't care whether your gay or not, etc.

by Anonymousreply 156November 27, 2014 12:15 AM

It's a city with no city there, just a series of many strip malls strung together, nothing to see

by Anonymousreply 157November 27, 2014 12:23 AM

Actually there's a lot of construction going on in Houston because of the high oil prices. There is lots of condos and buildings going up in Midtown, Montrose and Uptown.

by Anonymousreply 158November 27, 2014 12:44 AM

And broken sidewalks and favelas right next door to gated condos. It's a distopia.

by Anonymousreply 159November 27, 2014 12:49 AM

Hey queens - r22 here with an update. I'm still here after 4 years and love it! The job sucks but the money is good and everything else about Houston makes it worth it - I bought a great condo and met my beautiful partner, and I've made some wonderful friends. So thank you to those of you locals who were kind enough to offer some practical advice!

by Anonymousreply 160November 27, 2014 1:07 AM

Horrible climate

by Anonymousreply 161November 27, 2014 2:32 AM

Jim Parsons on Houston -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162December 1, 2014 9:46 PM

I hate it. Too effing hot. I'm leaving in a year.

by Anonymousreply 163December 1, 2014 10:46 PM

It can never be too hot.

by Anonymousreply 164December 1, 2014 11:11 PM

I have heard that the water in Houston has an odor to it and that out-of-towners notice it when they take a shower.

by Anonymousreply 165December 1, 2014 11:17 PM

America's fastest growing cities list has Houston at #1, Austin at #2 and Dallas at #3.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166February 19, 2015 10:29 PM

Houston will overtake Chicago by 2025 to be America's third largest city and by 2040 both Dallas and Houston will overtake Chicago to be the third and fourth largest metropolitan areas.

by Anonymousreply 167February 19, 2015 10:38 PM

The air pollution from all of the chem plants and refineries in Houston actually makes my eyes burn and stuffs up my nose. Do you want this to happen to you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 168February 19, 2015 10:43 PM

We're headed for a recession due to the falling oil prices (thousands of layoffs since November); get ready for a bumpy ride in the coming year or two.

by Anonymousreply 169February 19, 2015 11:13 PM

For most of the last decade, the best places to secure employment in the country were Washington and Houston. Now both are problematic. New York had its up and downs but thanks to taxpayer subsidy, seems to be doing well.

Right now I'd say Miami is poised for a tourist revival because of good things happening in Latin America; and secondary tech centers like Seattle and Philadelphia are doing well.

by Anonymousreply 170February 20, 2015 3:53 AM

Sorry but Houston is no New York. We have culture, art, education, liberalism abound, racial equality, museums, BROADWAY darlings!, the best universities in the world, the best performing arts schools in the world, intelligent people, mild & livable summers, superior people, and so much more.

I would never step foot south of the Mason-Dixon line. Houston is full of racists, homophobes, rethugs, uneducated rubes, trailer trash, drug addicts, toothless morons. Houston has no art or culture to speak of, much less musical theatre. The climate is hell on earth, so I have read. I, for one, will never step foot there. If forced to live there I would never leave the house.

by Anonymousreply 171February 20, 2015 3:13 PM

DON'T MOVE THERE. I HEARD IT IS TERRIBLE UNLESS YOU ARE A WHITE STRAIGHT RELIGIOUS REPUBLICAN MALE. FUCK TEXAS.

by Anonymousreply 172February 20, 2015 3:26 PM

Friend of mine moved out there last fall for a job and quit within a few months and came back to NY. Granted, he hated the job, but he also said he hated Houston and couldn't get out of there fast enough.

by Anonymousreply 173February 20, 2015 3:30 PM

R173 to be fair moving from NYC to Houston is like moving to Mars. The cities couldn't be more different. What did he expect? Didn't he do any research?

by Anonymousreply 174February 20, 2015 3:34 PM

Texans can be very cute and sexier than NY'ers.

Everyone is bi at least.

Texas is a great state to meet people and find boyfriends/girlfriends.

Pseudo-intellectualism only goes so far in the bedroom, give me a sweet cutie!

by Anonymousreply 175February 20, 2015 3:38 PM

R2 should work for Houston's tourism bureau (which I imagine is a windowless 2-man part-time operation):

"Houston: The Roads Are Paved Good!"

by Anonymousreply 176February 20, 2015 3:40 PM

Steers and Queers--yahoo!

by Anonymousreply 177February 20, 2015 3:41 PM

What a dump!!!

by Anonymousreply 178February 20, 2015 3:41 PM

The roaches are so bad there---but at least you are not living with rats, like New Yorkers.

When I see Texans all I think is SEX, SEX, SEX!

When I see New Yorkers all I think is EAT, EAT, EAT!

by Anonymousreply 179February 20, 2015 3:51 PM

Lots of hot White and Hispanic studs there. The best month of my life was spent there. I still shudder.

by Anonymousreply 180February 20, 2015 3:52 PM

[quote]Sorry but Houston is no New York

No one ever claimed it was. The two cities are radically different.

However Houston does have great restaurants and a great cultural amenities and cultural diversity. It IS a big city so that comes with the territory.

However it is ungodly hot and humid several months of the year and has a huge car culture with bad traffic.

Stay within the 610 loop and you will be fine. Can find a fun progressive atmosphere. It's really not a terrible city, I don't live there anymore but spent a few years there. I was dreading it but ended up enjoying it okay.

by Anonymousreply 181February 20, 2015 3:59 PM

The roads are great if you like driving your car into craters. Everywhere. I have no idea what property taxes are going towards because it's certainly not the upkeep of the streets. The best thing that I ever did was get a credit card for a tire store. A few months ago I was driving with my sister in her brand new sports car. All of a sudden we hit this HUGE hole and went flying into the air. $6000 in damages. It's horrible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182February 20, 2015 5:55 PM

I love living in Houston. Right now it's sunny and 70, while most of the rest of the country shivers in snow.

Here's my day: Lunch at Local Foods in Rice Village where its Crispy Chicken sandwich was just declared the best in the nation. Dinner with friends at the award-winning Underbelly restaurant in Montrose. Then we're going to catch a movie downtown at Robert Redford's Sundance Cinemas. BTW, the cost of all this is about half what you'd pay in New York and LA.

Life is good.

by Anonymousreply 183February 20, 2015 6:11 PM

But what about the bugs, R183, what about the bugs?

I'm so jealous that you live in a place where the food is good, the booties are tight and you can blast hillbilly music ALL NIGHT LONG!

by Anonymousreply 184February 20, 2015 6:20 PM

Hmmm R183 I was looking for something different for lunch today; maybe I'll trek over to the Village to try this sandwich. If it sucks you owe me a lunch!

by Anonymousreply 185February 20, 2015 6:22 PM

R184, We listen to the same music that you do. Only rednecks listen to country. Only a very small percentage of the people here are rednecks. We listen to Rock, Pop, Classic Rock, Heavy Metal, Oldies, Alternative, Rap, Hip Hop, R&B, Funk, Blues, etc. Every night is not a hoe-down.

by Anonymousreply 186February 20, 2015 6:23 PM

Have you guys ever been to the Bay Area of California?

Why is it the most leftist people are the ugliest?? Is that why their so damn mad about everything?

In Texas, the not-so-great looking people are at least nice and polite. But most people there are actually cute. Even the really heavy ones. Yep, they are cute chubbies.

In the Bay Area, people be all stick-thin and hairy, ungroomed and wear those ugly sandals when it's foggy and cold!

Nobody looks good in the Bay Area, nobody, and if they do, they are shunned and are forced to leave!

In Texas, people have cute bodies, are HOT and sweet, and will talk to you.

The Latinos are heavier but they can't help that, but they have very pretty faces, I'll tell you what.

I am looking forward to my next trip to Texas, which should be its own planet really, should import all of the unwanted Jews, and become a new country of Freedom and sexy types!

by Anonymousreply 187February 20, 2015 6:28 PM

[quote]Only a very small percentage of the people here are rednecks.

SNORT! I like Houston but there are still plenty of country idiots, especially if you leave the 610 loop and get out into other parts of the city and different surburbs.

by Anonymousreply 188February 20, 2015 6:29 PM

R186, but you didn't answer my question about the bugs---are they too much to deal with, or can they be handled?

by Anonymousreply 189February 20, 2015 6:32 PM

[quote]Nobody looks good in the Bay Area, nobody, and if they do, they are shunned and are forced to leave!

Do you even understand the culture there?

In the bay area people are not so superficial where their highest priority is their appearance. It has lots of educated, slightly nerdy professionals.

That's actually a big part of the identity of the region, it DOES NOT want to be LA where being looks-driven is the name of the game.

by Anonymousreply 190February 20, 2015 6:33 PM

Small children are often carried away by the monster-sized mosquitoes.

by Anonymousreply 191February 20, 2015 6:34 PM

Oh, R190, so a person can't run a comb through their hair, or remove cheese from their lips, or wear flattering clothes?

I knew it, I was right.

There is pressure to be ugly in the Bay Area, I knew that, but I couldn't believe it to be true but yep, it's true.

Did you hear that, folks?

If you are trying to be attractive, you will be shunned as stupid or too L.A.

Bay Area types think they are too intellectual to brush their teeth, comb their hair why, they must be regular Einsteins!

by Anonymousreply 192February 20, 2015 6:39 PM

Just imagine all your neighbors are UPS types.

by Anonymousreply 193February 20, 2015 6:42 PM

Those ritzy ladies in the expensive parts to the Bay Area make themselves up like Barbie dolls, only they are the Chinese version, Ballbie.

And they are arch-conservative---listen ladies, your man, be he hippie, leftist, nerd or what not will always go for a woman who does herself up a tad.

And men--your woman secretly wants a manly man, one with muscles, and big, strong hands.

The Bay Area is full of sexually incomplete people via P.A. politics and they are forever mad, scowling, and angry.

by Anonymousreply 194February 20, 2015 6:43 PM

R193, Mmmmmm. That's super hot. I am packing my bags and booking my flight at this very moment. I want a tall blond with green eyes and a tight little ass, and a hot mexican with a little moustache and a tight little body.

by Anonymousreply 195February 20, 2015 6:45 PM

Texas Cities, from my experience (I'm a native New Yorker who has spent much time in Texas)

Austin *****

Houston ****

San Antonio ****

Fort Worth ***1/2

Dallas ***

Arlington ****

El Paso **

Corpus Christi ***

Lubbock ***

Laredo **

by Anonymousreply 196February 20, 2015 6:49 PM

To those who live in fantastic Texas:

What's the best time to go when the bugs aren't so bad?

I can't have no roaches cramping my foxy style, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 197February 20, 2015 6:50 PM

R197 Bugs are bad in East Texas (due to the low-lying wet areas and bayous). Mosquitoes are horrible there. Everywhere else, not so much. Bugs are no worse in Central Texas than anywhere else. I live in Austin and can't remember the last time I had a bug bite.

by Anonymousreply 198February 20, 2015 6:58 PM

RATTLESNAKES ARE EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 199February 20, 2015 7:00 PM

I heard there are rattlesnakes on the sidewalks, streets and inside people's houses and stores. I heard they come up through the plumbing into the toilet bowl and bite one's ass. Scary. I don't want to wake up staring into the eyes of a fucking rattlesnake.

by Anonymousreply 200February 20, 2015 7:02 PM

[quote]I heard there are rattlesnakes on the sidewalks, streets and inside people's houses and stores. I heard they come up through the plumbing into the toilet bowl and bite one's ass. Scary. I don't want to wake up staring into the eyes of a fucking rattlesnake.

You do realize that rattlesnakes are evolving to have no rattles, so be very very careful when it's very very quiet.

by Anonymousreply 201February 20, 2015 7:18 PM

Arlington rates four stars? Are you joking?

by Anonymousreply 202February 20, 2015 7:38 PM

People the roaches are not that bad as long as you routinely exterminate. When I see them in my house they are either on their backs dead or dying. Never seen a rattlesnake in the city.

by Anonymousreply 203February 20, 2015 7:51 PM

HOW BIG ARE THEY???

by Anonymousreply 204February 20, 2015 7:55 PM

The average tree roach or "palmetto bug" is 1.5 to 2 inches long. Some are bigger though. They fly but shun light. I scream like a girl when I see one.

by Anonymousreply 205February 20, 2015 8:03 PM

Those are huge, are they throughout Texas, do they fly, are they skinny, what color are they?

TIA.

by Anonymousreply 206February 20, 2015 8:08 PM

The Pulitzer-Prize winning author Larry McMurtry, a native Texan, wrote an essay in 2013 comparing Texas' largest cities, and one of them came out way ahead of the pack.

Houston.

It's an interesting read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207February 20, 2015 8:10 PM

Not sure if they are in west Texas but they like humidity and warmth so probably not. I think they are in se Texas for the most part. They are usually dark brown and have fairly fat crunchy bodies. If you swat at them they fly and usually right towards you. **shudder**

by Anonymousreply 208February 20, 2015 8:23 PM

Thanks, R208, that would be a deal breaker for me.

The Bay Area doesn't have roaches but it has grinches, so no to that too.

by Anonymousreply 209February 20, 2015 8:27 PM

Here is a pic and story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210February 20, 2015 8:35 PM

I hate to break it to the nervous nellies, but every place has bugs.

by Anonymousreply 211February 20, 2015 8:40 PM

Wherever you are, chances are if you walked outside and dropped dead, and nobody came along to interfere, the natural world would dispose of you in less time than it takes for you to plan your Oscars party.

by Anonymousreply 212February 20, 2015 8:41 PM

NOT LIKE THAT!

by Anonymousreply 213February 20, 2015 8:42 PM

When I went to stay at a friend's small ranch outside of Austin we had to watch out for scorpions. We were told to check our shoes in the morning. Further west is tarantula country.

by Anonymousreply 214February 20, 2015 8:46 PM

I've seen 3+ inch tree roaches at my apartment complex, but I bug bomb my apartment once a month in addition to the provided pest service. You also have to leave the light on in the closet to keep your shoes from mildewing. Having a cat also helps with the roaches.

by Anonymousreply 215February 20, 2015 8:52 PM

The cancer rates in the "chemical corridor" from Houston to Baton Rouge, LA., are about 2-3 standard deviations to the right of the normal curve for all America.

You should research this before you move.

by Anonymousreply 216February 20, 2015 8:56 PM

All that pesticide cannot be healthy--are there any organic solutions, like planting certain herbs or sprinkling things?

by Anonymousreply 217February 20, 2015 8:57 PM

Cats love those big bugs.

by Anonymousreply 218February 20, 2015 8:57 PM

Sprinkling borax around works thought that is also toxic if ingested but it's not something you're breathing in and I've never heard of animals eating it.

by Anonymousreply 219February 20, 2015 9:07 PM

I once made a road trip with an ex to Marfa, TX. We had rented an apartment for a couple of days. When we arrived he went to check out the kitchen. He came out, eyes big as hell and said "OH MY GOD." It freaked me out enough to run to the front door--I thought it was a snake! Whatever it was he said that it was the biggest bug that he'd ever seen and killed it. Still to this day I have no idea what it was.

by Anonymousreply 220February 21, 2015 12:10 AM

Jim Parsons is right about the dining in Houston. Fantastic restaurants and, yes, museums and a thriving theater scene. The Houston Ballet has one of the best Nutcracker's I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 221February 21, 2015 6:26 PM

The Menil Collection is a must see and the Rothko Chapel is right next door

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222May 4, 2018 11:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!