Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

William Hopper (actor)

Was Hedda's little boy gay? Rebel is on now on TCM and he seems like a queen.%0D %0D Any stories out there

by Anonymousreply 41June 7, 2020 1:08 AM

dam

by Anonymousreply 1July 2, 2010 3:29 AM

Yes he was gay and out to his mother. Not really a big secret even when he was alive.

by Anonymousreply 2July 2, 2010 5:14 AM

And he was beautiful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 2, 2010 2:02 PM

Aged very well, too.%0D %0D But funny how both he and Raymond Burr (also gay) spent years together on PERRY MASON. I wonder what went on off-camera...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 2, 2010 2:12 PM

Did he ever marry or have any children?

by Anonymousreply 5July 2, 2010 3:15 PM

According to imdb, married TWICE and one child...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 2, 2010 3:43 PM

I just looked up Perry Mason.....that show was on for ten years and had 25 made for TV movies and a brief spin-off staring BRETT SOMERS!! I love old TV and have gotten all the seasons that are available on Netflix. I think they've released up to season five.

by Anonymousreply 7July 2, 2010 3:53 PM

If you haven't seen the 1985 TV movie, "Malice in Wonderland", you should add it to your Netflix queue. The guy who plays William Hopper (Thomas Byrd) is very cute. Elizabeth Taylor (fabulous in Nolan Miller costumes) is Louella Parsons. And Jane Alexander as Hedda Hopper is campy fun too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 2, 2010 4:52 PM

The TV movies, which were done in the '80s and '90s were terrible for the most part.

Not to be confused with the original TV series, which ran from '57 to '66. Those are surprisingly good, smart, not pandering to morons, and they often have very good and complicated plots. Also the sets,clothes, grooming, hair and makeup from the '50s and early '60s is great to look at.

I believe the whole first season (fall of '57 to spring of '58) is available on Hulu. And keep in mind that in those days a TV season ran for 26-33 episodes! No wonder Burr had a nervous breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 9July 2, 2010 6:25 PM

What I love about the Perry Mason show is how they treat Della. She is actually the one who got second billing. She was like the first real feminist career girl. Perry always treated Della as a competent career woman, respected her advice, she wasn't in love with anyone at the office, wasn't looking to meet a husband, smiled and wasn't offended when Paul called her beautiful, was never the woman in danger, and we didn't know a thing about her personal life. Hell maybe she was a Lez.

by Anonymousreply 10July 2, 2010 6:37 PM

I'd like to see the original PM. Wish they would show them on cable. I hardly rem them.

by Anonymousreply 11July 3, 2010 10:41 PM

Same here, R11.

by Anonymousreply 12July 3, 2010 11:52 PM

A station in L.A. has been airing Perry Mason reruns for 20-plus years.

by Anonymousreply 13July 3, 2010 11:56 PM

I recently came across an episode of the Perry Mason series on TV, and noticed a very attractive young actor. I looked the episode up on IMDb, expecting him to be someone totally obscure - turns out it was the young Ryan O'Neal.

by Anonymousreply 14July 4, 2010 12:03 AM

Interesting he William Hopper was only 55 when he died in 1970.

by Anonymousreply 15July 4, 2010 12:05 AM

KOFY, Channel 20, in San Francisco runs the old black & white Perry Mason TV series every weekday at 8am & noon. I saw them when they were first run during my childhood & they're still good, for all the reasons stated above.

by Anonymousreply 16July 4, 2010 12:10 AM

yea, they don't play em in nyc. it's a shame because they play touched by an angel...yikes

by Anonymousreply 17July 4, 2010 1:47 AM

OMG..... So sick of all the speculation of Raymond Burr and William Hopper (Paul & Perry) being gay. If you ever really watch the show (as my husband and still I do everyday), you would notice that both of these big handsome actors were manly-professionals and gentlemen. As you watch the show you will also notice these guys were really into women. As each of there eyes carefully fuscous on the "assets" of there lady guest. Either way who even cares how they lived off=screen because there good looks and genuine smiles warmed the hearts of the lady fans. Charisse 51 - Texas

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2012 2:30 AM

ah, Charisse, how's that diseased cooch of yours doing? 51? In dog years?

Raymond Burr was gay. Deal with it. If it interrupts your fantasies, pay the hustler a bit more to get you off.

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2012 2:39 AM

Here in No. California we all love the Widow Burr. (Robert Benevides)

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2012 3:17 AM

These old Perry Mason shows now run in NYC if you have Time Warner Cable - they're on AntennaTV.

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2012 3:24 AM

They have cut the episodes to run them now because they ran much longer originally so fewer commercials. If you watch a rerun now on TV, then watch the DVD, you'll see things that were cut that I think add to the story.

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2012 3:54 AM

I don't have cable. But have the HD TV. I have the antenna And there is a channel called MeTV. It has Perry Mason in the morning @ 10:30 am and again @11:30 pm. Who cares ifPerry and Paul were Gay, they were Awesome actors

by Anonymousreply 23February 26, 2013 3:10 PM

The court room where the episodes were filmed still exists. It's in San Pedro, a part of LA near the Port of LA. I was in the chamber for a jury selection. It's surprising how small the court room really is, it looked quite big on the TV programs.

by Anonymousreply 24February 26, 2013 3:25 PM

I live out in the Country. MeTV has old programs such ad rifleman, big valley, that girl, I love lucy, Brady bunch,etc something the whole family can watch. It is Not on Cable. This is thru Antenna. I watch Perry Mason Mon-Fri. I will keep watching as long as it is on. Della is also awesome and we'll respected . To all those who watch Perry Mason. Thank You

by Anonymousreply 25February 26, 2013 3:26 PM

I love Perry Mason, and watch it on ME TV every morning. Hallmark channel shows 2 episodes at 11 a.m. and noon (Central Time), but the last 2 weeks they have shown the 2 hour made for tv movies mentioned above. I liked the first few when William Katt played Paul Drake Jr, cute casting since he is Della's son in real life.

by Anonymousreply 26February 26, 2013 3:41 PM

If you've been keeping up with the last few episodes on MeTV at 11:30pm, you'll notice that Barbara Hale does not appear. Wonder if she was off making a movie or maybe giving birth to her son. They gave her lines to Gertie. Ray Collins hasn't appeared at all in the past 7 or so episodes. He looked rather ill last time.

by Anonymousreply 27February 26, 2013 3:47 PM

There's already at least one lengthy thread about Perry Mason.

by Anonymousreply 28February 26, 2013 3:51 PM

R10, Rosalind Russell was a "career gal" in movies long before Della Street.

She may have appreciated being treated like an equal, but I'll bet Della would be far happier if that included a good paycheck, which it probably did not.

by Anonymousreply 29February 26, 2013 3:55 PM

Della was the epitome of bi.

by Anonymousreply 30February 26, 2013 4:00 PM

For two minutes at least, r8!

by Anonymousreply 31February 26, 2013 4:19 PM

[quote]According to imdb, married TWICE and one child...

The truth:

Burr was only briefly married once in 1948, but Starr noted that Burr and his publicists concocted a biography that included two other wives and a dead son who never existed.

by Anonymousreply 32February 26, 2013 4:26 PM

Like all celebrities with AIDS he got it form drugs or heterosexual sex.

Max Robinson, Arthur Ashe, Magic Johnson, Rhoda.

by Anonymousreply 33January 5, 2015 11:46 PM

Holy fuck. William Hopper was a babe.

by Anonymousreply 34January 6, 2015 12:25 AM

Wasn't he the Bad Seed's daddy?

by Anonymousreply 35January 6, 2015 12:28 AM

Interesting how he retired after the War to become a used car salesman (!) before making a comeback with a slew of well-rememberd films, even if he wasn't the lead.

by Anonymousreply 36January 6, 2015 12:59 AM

I hate him

by Anonymousreply 37May 31, 2017 4:31 PM

[quote]Charisse 51 - Texas — & —Cheryl 53 TN

Charisse, who's from the Lone Star state,

Her smell 'down there', it ain't that great!

But Cheryl's Tennessee-born poon,

Reeks like Dan Boone's skin-cap of coon --

What a rancid fate!

Still they're cuntzins,

Deplorable cuntzins and you'll learn

They seep alike, they ooze alike,

They both neglect their cooze alike --

How your eyes will burn!

Run! Both cuntzins will make your gut churn!

by Anonymousreply 38May 31, 2017 5:30 PM

^ Oops -

Always mixed-up Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett.

by Anonymousreply 39May 31, 2017 5:41 PM

R15, yes only 55. That means when he was on Perry Mason, he started out at age 42 and was only 51 when the show ended.

Yet he looked close to 70, thanks to all the booze and ciggies.

And I should know!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 17, 2019 6:47 PM

I bet Raymond used to strip down to a g-string and dance and make Hopper peform the anal on him.

by Anonymousreply 41June 7, 2020 1:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!