Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

William Hopper (actor)

Was Hedda's little boy gay? Rebel is on now on TCM and he seems like a queen.%0D %0D Any stories out there

by Anonymousreply 3601/05/2015

by Anonymousreply 107/01/2010

And he was beautiful

by Anonymousreply 307/02/2010

Aged very well, too.%0D %0D But funny how both he and Raymond Burr (also gay) spent years together on PERRY MASON. I wonder what went on off-camera...

by Anonymousreply 407/02/2010

I just looked up Perry Mason.....that show was on for ten years and had 25 made for TV movies and a brief spin-off staring BRETT SOMERS!! I love old TV and have gotten all the seasons that are available on Netflix. I think they've released up to season five.

by Anonymousreply 707/02/2010

If you haven't seen the 1985 TV movie, "Malice in Wonderland", you should add it to your Netflix queue. The guy who plays William Hopper (Thomas Byrd) is very cute. Elizabeth Taylor (fabulous in Nolan Miller costumes) is Louella Parsons. And Jane Alexander as Hedda Hopper is campy fun too.

by Anonymousreply 807/02/2010

The TV movies, which were done in the '80s and '90s were terrible for the most part.

Not to be confused with the original TV series, which ran from '57 to '66. Those are surprisingly good, smart, not pandering to morons, and they often have very good and complicated plots. Also the sets,clothes, grooming, hair and makeup from the '50s and early '60s is great to look at.

I believe the whole first season (fall of '57 to spring of '58) is available on Hulu. And keep in mind that in those days a TV season ran for 26-33 episodes! No wonder Burr had a nervous breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 907/02/2010

What I love about the Perry Mason show is how they treat Della. She is actually the one who got second billing. She was like the first real feminist career girl. Perry always treated Della as a competent career woman, respected her advice, she wasn't in love with anyone at the office, wasn't looking to meet a husband, smiled and wasn't offended when Paul called her beautiful, was never the woman in danger, and we didn't know a thing about her personal life. Hell maybe she was a Lez.

by Anonymousreply 1007/02/2010

I'd like to see the original PM. Wish they would show them on cable. I hardly rem them.

by Anonymousreply 1107/03/2010

Same here, R11.

by Anonymousreply 1207/03/2010

Interesting he William Hopper was only 55 when he died in 1970.

by Anonymousreply 1507/03/2010

KOFY, Channel 20, in San Francisco runs the old black & white Perry Mason TV series every weekday at 8am & noon. I saw them when they were first run during my childhood & they're still good, for all the reasons stated above.

by Anonymousreply 1607/03/2010

OMG..... So sick of all the speculation of Raymond Burr and William Hopper (Paul & Perry) being gay. If you ever really watch the show (as my husband and still I do everyday), you would notice that both of these big handsome actors were manly-professionals and gentlemen. As you watch the show you will also notice these guys were really into women. As each of there eyes carefully fuscous on the "assets" of there lady guest. Either way who even cares how they lived off=screen because there good looks and genuine smiles warmed the hearts of the lady fans. Charisse 51 - Texas

by Anonymousreply 1810/13/2012

Here in No. California we all love the Widow Burr. (Robert Benevides)

by Anonymousreply 2010/13/2012

These old Perry Mason shows now run in NYC if you have Time Warner Cable - they're on AntennaTV.

by Anonymousreply 2110/13/2012

They have cut the episodes to run them now because they ran much longer originally so fewer commercials. If you watch a rerun now on TV, then watch the DVD, you'll see things that were cut that I think add to the story.

by Anonymousreply 2210/13/2012

I don't have cable. But have the HD TV. I have the antenna And there is a channel called MeTV. It has Perry Mason in the morning @ 10:30 am and again @11:30 pm. Who cares ifPerry and Paul were Gay, they were Awesome actors

by Anonymousreply 2302/26/2013

The court room where the episodes were filmed still exists. It's in San Pedro, a part of LA near the Port of LA. I was in the chamber for a jury selection. It's surprising how small the court room really is, it looked quite big on the TV programs.

by Anonymousreply 2402/26/2013

I love Perry Mason, and watch it on ME TV every morning. Hallmark channel shows 2 episodes at 11 a.m. and noon (Central Time), but the last 2 weeks they have shown the 2 hour made for tv movies mentioned above. I liked the first few when William Katt played Paul Drake Jr, cute casting since he is Della's son in real life.

by Anonymousreply 2602/26/2013

If you've been keeping up with the last few episodes on MeTV at 11:30pm, you'll notice that Barbara Hale does not appear. Wonder if she was off making a movie or maybe giving birth to her son. They gave her lines to Gertie. Ray Collins hasn't appeared at all in the past 7 or so episodes. He looked rather ill last time.

by Anonymousreply 2702/26/2013

There's already at least one lengthy thread about Perry Mason.

by Anonymousreply 2802/26/2013

Della was the epitome of bi.

by Anonymousreply 3002/26/2013

For two minutes at least, r8!

by Anonymousreply 3102/26/2013

[quote]According to imdb, married TWICE and one child...

The truth:

Burr was only briefly married once in 1948, but Starr noted that Burr and his publicists concocted a biography that included two other wives and a dead son who never existed.

by Anonymousreply 3202/26/2013

Holy fuck. William Hopper was a babe.

by Anonymousreply 3401/05/2015

Wasn't he the Bad Seed's daddy?

by Anonymousreply 3501/05/2015

Interesting how he retired after the War to become a used car salesman (!) before making a comeback with a slew of well-rememberd films, even if he wasn't the lead.

by Anonymousreply 3601/05/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!