Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gay actors who don''t play straight convincingly

I don't watch much network tv, but recently I saw episodes of "Frazier" and "Two and a Half Men" for the first time. The characters of Dr. Niles Crane in Frazier, and Alan Harper in TAHM are both heterosexual. But both actors in those roles seem homosexual. %0D %0D Why was such obvious miscasting allowed? I found it very distracting.

by Anonymousreply 110February 4, 2018 8:34 PM

Stop trolling here, Ramin. You giant douche.

by Anonymousreply 1June 28, 2010 7:21 PM

These characters are written as gay. Even Frasier himself comes across as a gay man. It's not an issue of casting, it's the writing.

by Anonymousreply 2June 28, 2010 7:22 PM

Kelsey Grammer is a big ol' pussyhound and Bush supporter, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3June 28, 2010 7:23 PM

Exercize in futility: trying to get a straight answer from DL.

by Anonymousreply 4June 28, 2010 7:37 PM

Didn't you already publish this screed in Newsweek?

by Anonymousreply 5June 28, 2010 7:40 PM

Someday most people will dispense with the facile idea that gay actors are not playing straight convincingly in an evolutionary leap similar to the one made by similar bigots when they realized that the gay actors they always assumed were too butch to be anything but straight actually loved men.

Rock Hudson anyone?

Sexuality is a lot less predictable than that suggested by the stereotypes so many subscribed to in the 1950s, and a lot less predictable than the stereotypes some, e.g. OP, still subscribe to might suggest.

by Anonymousreply 6June 28, 2010 7:43 PM

Zac Efron

Dominic Monaghan

Hayden Christensen

Elijah Wood

Adrian Brody

by Anonymousreply 7June 28, 2010 7:45 PM

It must be hard for gays to play straight roles, i am straight and i cant & will never play gay, because i will find it hard to kiss a man through acting,

by Anonymousreply 8June 28, 2010 7:51 PM

Jon Cryer and DHP are far cries from Rock Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 9June 28, 2010 8:04 PM

99% of them.

by Anonymousreply 10June 28, 2010 8:15 PM

"It must be hard for gays to play straight roles, i am straight and i cant & will never play gay, because i will find it hard to kiss a man through acting"%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D What the hell is a homophobe like you doing on a gay board? Fuck off. Not all gay roles require you to kiss someone of the same sex, anyway.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 11June 28, 2010 8:19 PM

I think OP might just be a stupid person who cannot articulate himself well. Those CHARACTERS seem gay, for sure. But it is funny, not "distracting." And this has been discussed for all the years those shows were on the air.

by Anonymousreply 12June 28, 2010 8:39 PM

Neil Patrick Harris plays straight convincingly, so does Vin Diesel. Gay actors (most closeted) who can't play straight convincingly, are because they are bad actors, only good for the tabloids. See list above. Timothy Olyphant plays a gay guy quite convincingly. So it works both ways.

by Anonymousreply 13June 28, 2010 8:41 PM

I was convinced that Niles loved Daphne, FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 14June 28, 2010 8:54 PM

[quote]Those CHARACTERS seem gay, for sure. But it is funny, not "distracting." %0D %0D So, r12, the casting is an inside joke for the gay viewers?

by Anonymousreply 15June 28, 2010 8:57 PM

Are you still here, OP? Don't you have to go pick up the kids and get dinner ready?

by Anonymousreply 16June 28, 2010 9:05 PM

That guy on "Caroline In The City" wasn't very convincing, but I think that's because the character started out gay and then several seasons in they decided to make him straight. You don't suddenly give the bitchy Paul Lynde-like sidekick a hard-on for the female lead.

by Anonymousreply 17June 28, 2010 9:24 PM

I own this thread!

by Anonymousreply 18June 28, 2010 9:25 PM

I totally forgot about "Caroline in the City". I'm having a flashback.

by Anonymousreply 19June 28, 2010 9:26 PM

I think it's hilarious when straight men pretend to be gay in movies. They always do an effeminate, excitable voice, the limp wrists, and cookie smelling face. Sometimes subtly, but they never act masculine, they act like girls.

Well I guess sometimes actors(gay or straight) play a gay guy that is supposed to be masculine, it always seems so badly acted. Like Heath and Jake in BBM. They were both bad and their attempts to come across like naturally rugged cowboys were laughable. Heath equates sounding constipated and using a stupid voice with being a tough guy.

by Anonymousreply 20June 28, 2010 9:28 PM

[quote]Gay actors (most closeted) who can't play straight convincingly, are because they are bad actors

THANK YOU.

And I've seen plenty of straight guys do shitty jobs of playing gay (Joshua Jackson's painfully stiff performance - and not in the good way - in "Cruel Intentions" comes to mind). It's not like it doesn't happen in reverse.

It's about bad acting, not sexual orientation.

by Anonymousreply 21June 28, 2010 9:32 PM

The guy that played Bull, the sports talk-show host, on "Frasier" was an openly gay actor and thereby disproves your idiotic argument, OP. Now please fuck off and die.

by Anonymousreply 22June 28, 2010 9:33 PM

I thought Ledger equated sounding constipated with being way deep in the closet - as if the character's life was constipated in a sense.

by Anonymousreply 23June 28, 2010 9:33 PM

I didn't say ALL gay actors, dickwad r22. I mentioned two actors who can't portray straight characters on their series convincingly.

by Anonymousreply 24June 28, 2010 9:36 PM

I think the Alan Harper character in "Two and a Half Men" was written to come across as gay. They make several references in the show to him seeming gay. There was even an episode where he wondered himself if he might be gay and he tried kissing a guy.

by Anonymousreply 25June 28, 2010 9:40 PM

R23, he's just a bad actor doing a bad voice. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 26June 28, 2010 9:42 PM

What about Frasier's brother...is there a gay subtext to his character?

by Anonymousreply 27June 28, 2010 9:43 PM

Remember the "gay" guy on "Veronica's Closet"? I remember that one of that bad show's (unintentional?) running jokes was that the character's sexuality was never determined. %0D %0D Remember how that show was semi-hot for a couple of years...and then died?

by Anonymousreply 28June 28, 2010 9:52 PM

Wentworth?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 28, 2010 10:05 PM

I thought Jonathan Groff was convincing as a straight guy on Glee. I find the fat gay character on Modern Family convincing too and that actor is straight.

by Anonymousreply 30June 28, 2010 10:20 PM

[quote]I thought Jonathan Groff was convincing as a straight guy on Glee.

He really wasn't. I watched his debut episode with 2 friends, and all 3 of us immediately assumed he was Kurt's new love interest.

Again, it was just plain bad acting.

I think Wentworth was plenty convincing on "Prison Break" and in "The Human Stain," though.

by Anonymousreply 31June 28, 2010 10:26 PM

Niles was written as a finicky, fussy and effete snobby intellectual. DHP was great casting and he did an excellent job of bringing the character to life. It would have been character-inappropriate and humor crushing for him to try to interject butchness. The character Niles also happened to be straight, and viewers bought into his crush on Daphne. They have also bought into DHP as a fussy neurotic harmless little straight guy in love with a woman in Down With Love.%0D %0D Most straights automatically assume everyone slightly butcher than Richard Simmons is straight. The possibility of the actors playing straight characters being gay is not something straights are normally looking for and they aren't hyperconscious of signs of gayness like we can be.

by Anonymousreply 32June 28, 2010 10:29 PM

John Goodman plays straight convincingly.

by Anonymousreply 33June 28, 2010 10:31 PM

I thought Groff was convincing on the Pretty-Handsome pilot. He wasn't on Glee.

When Groff had to walk down the smoke-filled corridor in the Bad Reputation music video Rachel made, he did the flounciest walk. Cory Monteith and Mark Salling had to do the same bit (they were her three suitors), which underlined the campness of Groff's walk.

by Anonymousreply 34June 28, 2010 10:35 PM

More...more gays who can't play it straight to save their acting careers.

by Anonymousreply 35June 29, 2010 1:15 AM

I had no idea Groff was gay until that Newsweek article. He played straight convincingly to me.

by Anonymousreply 36June 29, 2010 1:25 AM

John Barrowman and Sean Hayes. And it has nothing to do with sexual orientation. A bad actor is a bad actor.

by Anonymousreply 37June 29, 2010 1:25 AM

And people wonder why gay actors don't come out.

by Anonymousreply 38June 29, 2010 1:28 AM

We gay people analyze each other so relentlessly that we will always think that we cannot portray something 'other' well. But straight men are often not perceptive enough to know that they do not play gay men well either - we are forgiving of the things they get wrong in their portrayals, and their overconfidence in believe they can play us convinces the other remaining orientations.

by Anonymousreply 39June 29, 2010 1:31 AM

[quote]We gay people analyze each other so relentlessly that we will always think that we cannot portray something 'other' well. %0D %0D Wrong. Rock and Wentworth portrayed "other" very well.%0D

by Anonymousreply 40June 29, 2010 1:51 AM

Yeah, it's so wrong, R40, that we're not actually writing in a thread about that exact phenomenon right now.

by Anonymousreply 41June 29, 2010 1:58 AM

R41, are you drunk, or just stupid?

by Anonymousreply 42June 29, 2010 2:04 AM

I don't know, R40/R42, but I'm certainly more clever than you if that exasperated canned coment is all you can come up with.

by Anonymousreply 43June 29, 2010 2:12 AM

I was going to post that "Hugo Weaving owns this thread" then I read that he's been w/ the same woman over 25yrs. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 44June 29, 2010 2:24 AM

I never bought Hayden Christensens love scene in Star Wars. He squirms everytime his kisses a girl.

by Anonymousreply 45June 29, 2010 2:44 AM

I agree that DHP played Niles beautifully...and straight. And, as in most shows where a couple that's been eyeing each other forever gets together, it lost a lot when Niles & Daphne actually had a relationship.

by Anonymousreply 46June 29, 2010 3:05 AM

I love the Niles Crane character. Never fails to crack me up.

by Anonymousreply 47June 29, 2010 3:10 AM

"Again, it was just plain bad acting."%0D %0D %0D %0D Um, no. You're just being an ass. He's a good actor, ask anyone who has seen him in the theater.%0D %0D %0D %0D "John Barrowman and Sean Hayes. And it has nothing to do with sexual orientation. A bad actor is a bad actor."%0D %0D %0D Yeah, Sean Hayes won an Emmy because of "bad acting." You people are such assholes. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 48June 29, 2010 4:27 AM

"Most straights automatically assume everyone slightly butcher than Richard Simmons is straight"%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D Ding, ding, ding. It's hilarious that you all think guys like Barrowman and Hayes are so unconvincing as straight, because I know fangurls who SWORE that they were straight before they came out. Most straight people don't have great gaydar.

by Anonymousreply 49June 29, 2010 4:30 AM

Gay men like Setoodeh are hypercritical of gay actors. Setoodeh is not a macho guy and it's pretty obvious where he developed his paranoia on the issue of passing. A gay individual who has spent years doing things like self-consciously monitoring his own run out of fear it could be too girly isn't going to view things through the lens of an average audience member and is likely to be over scrutinize gay actors.

by Anonymousreply 50June 29, 2010 5:08 AM

[quote]Remember the "gay" guy on "Veronica's Closet"? I remember that one of that bad show's (unintentional?) running jokes was that the character's sexuality was never determined.%0D %0D That character's name was Josh Blair, played by Wallace Langham. On one of the episodes, Josh beds down Millicent, a lusty older woman played by Holland Taylor. After only one night of hot monkey sex, the following morning he awakens next to her to find her dead.%0D %0D In 1999, Langham was charged with one count of misdemeanor battery and one count of committing a hate crime. He agreed to a six-figure settlement with the reporter who accused him of an anti-gay hate crime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 29, 2010 8:07 AM

I forgot to add that he's been married twice and has two children. Not that it means anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 29, 2010 8:15 AM

I suppose we would have said this about Tony Randall.

If Tony Randall had been gay.

But Tony Randall was not gay.

We'd also be saying this about Peter Sarsgaard.

But, hey, Peter Sarsgaard is straight.

So, here's the lesson:

It's all about expectations.

And closed mindedness.

And subscribing to stereotypes.

Object lesson:

Sean Hayes is perfectly cast, convincing, and great as C.C. Baxter.

But that asshole in Newsweek criticizes him for a lack of swagger in this straight role.

Granted, if a role required typical straight swagger, one would probably not cast Sean Hayes.

However, C.C. Baxter, the everyman boy next door created by Jack Lemmon (who would most likely also not have been cast in a role requiring typical straight swagger, notwithstanding that he was straight) has about as much to do with the concept of archtypal straight swagger as Ennis Del Mar has to do with the concept of archtypal gay swish.

Who was often cast as that archtypal straight swaggering dude.

That would have been Rock Hudson, often with straight Tony Randall as his less swaggering sidekick.

So let's just put this one to bed.

by Anonymousreply 53June 29, 2010 9:24 AM

[quote] Yeah, Sean Hayes won an Emmy because of "bad acting." You people are such assholes. %0D %0D Didn't he win an emmy for playing a GAY role??%0D Sorry but he's a shitty actor... I've SEEN Promises Promises. But hey, thats just my opinion so no need for name calling.

by Anonymousreply 54June 29, 2010 12:00 PM

"Didn't he win an emmy for playing a GAY role?? Sorry but he's a shitty actor... I've SEEN Promises Promises. But hey, thats just my opinion so no need for name calling."%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D But it's okay for you to call Sean Hayes names? Sorry, but to get work on the stage you generally have to be a good actor. Sean Hayes and John Barrowman get work on the stage because they are good actors. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 55June 29, 2010 7:44 PM

NPH

by Anonymousreply 56November 11, 2014 9:42 PM

NPH plays a better straight than a gay

by Anonymousreply 57January 17, 2018 11:59 AM

Jim Parsons totally owns this thread, yet Sheldon is so well written as an annoying oddball, that Parson's mannerisms and effeminacy have only contributed to his amassing millions and an impressive collection of Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 58January 17, 2018 5:05 PM

R55: If John Barrowman is so great, why did that stealth anti-gay NBC minstrel show pass him over in the role of a gay man for some breeder hoser who sucked as Harold Hill?

by Anonymousreply 59January 17, 2018 5:08 PM

R17, I agree, but "The Nanny" did just that (not the lead, but same difference), and the straight audience still didn't seem to think it strange. R32 is absolutely right. To me that plot was always just a bit too preposterous, even for a breezy, lightweight show like that..

I didn't really follow "Frasier" religiously, but its straight Niles I found easier to buy.

by Anonymousreply 60January 18, 2018 4:48 AM

R11 The kissing argument makes zero sense anyway. If you aren't attracted to the person you are kissing, their sex or gender are irrelevant, you aren't atrracted so you have to act it out.

by Anonymousreply 61January 18, 2018 4:51 AM

R44 Bisexual people still exist, if anyone's going to base acting on sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 62January 18, 2018 4:54 AM

Chris Pine never seems straight and of course Tammy Cruise in any Love scene

by Anonymousreply 63January 18, 2018 4:59 AM

Tyler Perry.

by Anonymousreply 64January 18, 2018 6:19 AM

Nolan Gould

by Anonymousreply 65January 18, 2018 6:27 AM

r53: put your own bad self to bed

by Anonymousreply 66January 18, 2018 9:32 AM

I can see that someone mentioned Jonathan Groff. He played straight in Mindhunter and he was convincing.

by Anonymousreply 67January 18, 2018 9:37 AM

Chace Crawford

by Anonymousreply 68January 18, 2018 9:38 AM

James Corden

by Anonymousreply 69January 18, 2018 9:58 AM

Almost 70 posts in and you QUEENS didn’t mention ME?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 18, 2018 9:58 AM

Oh I forgot about Tony Randall. Can you really picture him giving the business to a vagina?

Also, I just rewatched “The Jeffersons”. Seems Roxie Roker and the Lionel actor were the only straight actors on that show? Holy shit. As a kid, I did think that Louise was a little... clunky. But watching it as an adult cracked me up.

by Anonymousreply 71January 18, 2018 10:43 AM

George Clooney. Seriously. He looked at Michelle Pffeifer like she was a box of eggs that gone past their use by date.

by Anonymousreply 72January 18, 2018 10:49 AM

Miss Bomer never played straight convincingly to me . I could smell the cookies through his white collar . Thing is , straight friends both male and female never believed me when I told them he was gay and married to a man. Like they don’t believe me with Hugh JackmeOff etc . I don’t get some people’s gaydar at times . Think they’re just wrapped up in the fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 73January 18, 2018 10:53 AM

Neither Boomer nor Groff. Sometimes Quinto cannot convince me either. But British actors seem more capable of it - Armitage, Evans, Pace - they all have performed convincing straight roles.

Maybe it is just that some actors have more difficulty hiding their mannerisms than others.

by Anonymousreply 74January 18, 2018 4:49 PM

R67 He was the least convincing straight character on the show. Should have left out the girlfriend and then I might have been able to suspend disbelief.

by Anonymousreply 75January 18, 2018 4:51 PM

Groff is playing a straight guy on Mindhunter and he's pretty convincing. He has a lot of hetero sex scenes and you're lying to yourself if you don't think they're hot.

by Anonymousreply 76January 21, 2018 4:23 AM

John Mahoney's gay and he was completely convincing as a Frasier's straight dad. There are different aspects to acting--David Hyde Pierce has impeccable comic timing time and a good sense of physical comedy--but I always thought part of the joke of his character on Frasier is that he wasn't really convincing as a straight guy--his wife was invisible and his love for Daphne was much more believable unconsummated. It was very 1930s comedy.

Some actors are good at passing--I always bought Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly as lesbians in Bound, but a lot of straight actors and actresses are awkward in gay roles--though they're better than they used to be. Gay actors generally do better at playing, but a lot of actors tense up a bit in love scenes. I suspect a fair number of them rely on having some genuine physical attraction to be convincing in them. If there is none and the partner's not their preferred gender, it's harder.

Actors with good imaginations and the ability to really commit physically to what they're doing can make love to a wall (of either gender)--classic example is Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive.

by Anonymousreply 77January 21, 2018 4:50 AM

NPH does not play straight convincingly, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 78January 21, 2018 4:51 AM

 

by Anonymousreply 79January 21, 2018 5:10 AM

R76 Maybe to the fraus who fantasize over gay actors having straight sex, however to the rest of us, it was a joke.

by Anonymousreply 80January 22, 2018 1:35 AM

I didn't check out Big Bang until well into the 3rd or 4th season. Parsons hadn'd come out yet and I was astonished. The top rated show in the country and nobody was mentioning the lead was flaming.

by Anonymousreply 81January 22, 2018 2:00 AM

I'm still upset that they made Sheldon straight. I was ok with him being asexual.

by Anonymousreply 82January 22, 2018 2:03 AM

^ Sorry, hadn't, not hadn'd.

by Anonymousreply 83January 22, 2018 2:03 AM

Cheyenne Jackson. I immediately knew he was gay the first time I saw him, when he was playing a straight guy on 30 Rock who makes out with Tina Fey's character.

by Anonymousreply 84January 22, 2018 2:04 AM

I own this thread.

by Anonymousreply 85January 22, 2018 2:04 AM

I agree with the guys who named Parsons as well.

by Anonymousreply 86January 22, 2018 2:05 AM

I love the people who think getting an Emmy or an Oscar proves an actor is good or a film is great.

by Anonymousreply 87January 22, 2018 2:49 AM

Quinto can play straight quite convincing r74.

The Slap was terrible but he was great as that douchey straight guy.

by Anonymousreply 88January 22, 2018 2:58 AM

Str8 is a lie and is therefore not something anyone should be forced to play on or off the stage or the screen.

by Anonymousreply 89January 22, 2018 3:01 AM

I didn't get a hint of gay from Quinto on Heroes.

by Anonymousreply 90January 22, 2018 3:05 AM

Agree with R88, Quinto was very convincing as the hetero douche on The Slap.

by Anonymousreply 91January 22, 2018 3:23 AM

He's Italian. He's likely had some practice.

by Anonymousreply 92January 22, 2018 3:24 AM

Ian McKellen as Gandalf.

by Anonymousreply 93January 22, 2018 2:48 PM

There have always been rumors about Brent Spiner, who played the android Data in ST:TNG. He has a wife (or girlfriend or partner; nobody seems to know for sure) named Lori McBride and a teenage son, which of course means nothing. But he has absolutely zero chemistry with actresses. And although he mentions his son frequently he NEVER mentions his wife/girlfriend/whatever. During one of those question and answer sessions at a Star Trek convention somebody asked him if he was single and he said one word: no. It all seems kind of odd.

by Anonymousreply 94January 22, 2018 3:33 PM

Agree with R88 and R91 re: The Slap and Quinto

Speaking of douchey guys, NPH was fine on that sitcom How I Met Your Mother

by Anonymousreply 95January 22, 2018 3:38 PM

[quote] Miss Bomer

Fuck you, R73.

by Anonymousreply 96January 22, 2018 3:52 PM

Russell Tovey does not give off a hint of gayness, very masculine and straight-seeming.

by Anonymousreply 97January 22, 2018 4:03 PM

What's in r94?

by Anonymousreply 98January 22, 2018 4:05 PM

Danny Pintauro is such a bad actor he can't even play gay convincingly, never mind having to play a str8 dork on a bad (but paradoxically highly rated) 1980s sitcom and failing miserably on a show full of miscast actors. For ABC to inflict both him and arch-homophobe Kirk Cameron on America on Tuesday nights constitutes a war crime for which America is still owed reparations.

by Anonymousreply 99January 22, 2018 4:06 PM

I love our DLEGs like R99. It truly is as if the 28 years from 1990 to 2018 never happened.

by Anonymousreply 100January 22, 2018 4:08 PM

[quote] I love our DLEGs like [R99]. It truly is as if the 28 years from 1990 to 2018 never happened.

Eldergay? He's older than me! He still can't act.

by Anonymousreply 101January 22, 2018 4:12 PM

Eldergay is a state of mind R101, not a chronological thing.

by Anonymousreply 102January 22, 2018 4:16 PM

[quote]It truly is as if the 28 years from 1990 to 2018 never happened.

I wish the dumbing down of popular culture had never happened.

I wish the el-jibbity-ization of gay culture and activism had never happened.

I wish the rampant obesity deliberately caused by government complicity in the junk food industry's malfeasance had never happened.

by Anonymousreply 103January 22, 2018 4:23 PM

[quote] el-jibbity-ization of gay culture and activism

Typo?

What does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 104January 22, 2018 4:27 PM

I love him, but I'm gonna have to say Tommy DiDario. He has a short acting reel on youtube

by Anonymousreply 105January 22, 2018 4:30 PM

[quote]What does that mean?

It means I'm tired of seeing gay culture simultaneously attacked and usurped by wolves in sheep's clothing, so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 106January 22, 2018 4:30 PM

Even more lost by that explanation R106

What does el-jibbity mean? Or was that a typo?

by Anonymousreply 107January 22, 2018 4:33 PM

I will not type out that vile acronym that exists for no other reason than to marginalize and erase gay people.

by Anonymousreply 108January 22, 2018 4:34 PM

ROTFLMAO -- that's fucking hilarious R108

I know you don't intend it to be, but it is.

I will never see those four letters in the same way again.

by Anonymousreply 109January 22, 2018 4:41 PM

Richard Cox in HELLHOLE (1987 with Virginia Madsen)...not very convincing.

by Anonymousreply 110February 4, 2018 8:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!