Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Have you ever sent fanmail to a celebrity?

Who did you write to, what did you say,did you get a response, it is something you still do or just a teen phase?

by Anonymousreply 11203/15/2014

When I was 13 I wrote a fan letter to a soap actress. Her name was Susan Keith and she played Cecile de Poulignac on Another World. She played a mean bitch and I was sort of in love with her. She replied with a very nice letter and sent a picture. She was funny and very touched by my letter. That was my first and last fan letter...

by Anonymousreply 106/11/2010

Only children and mentally ill fangurls write celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 306/11/2010

Parker Posey. I requested an autograph. I even decorated the manilla envelope with my favorite quotes from her movies.

She never wrote back.

(Now that I think about it, she might have thought it dangerous to write me back...)

by Anonymousreply 406/11/2010

I sent an e-mail to Tab Hunter to let him know that the DL was discussing he and Anthony Perkins. I thought he might like to join in and clear up any misconceptions. He did not reply back.

by Anonymousreply 506/11/2010

I've contacted a few in my lifetime (I just turned 30). Those who responded include:

- Dan Wilson, the lead singer of Semisonic; he was appreciative of the praise I heaped on the band...the response actually came within 30 minutes of me sending the original e-mail

- Michelle Stafford (Phyllis Newman on "The Young and the Restless"); I sent her an e-mail shortly after she came back to Y&R; I told her she was doing an amazing job and it was good to have her back on the show; I also said that she deserved an Emmy for her work, and the following year she won a Best Actress Daytime Emmy; she was unbelievably sweet and humble in her reply (she thanked me for all of the kind words)

- Anderson Cooper; I contacted him back in 2003 when he was filling in for Aaron Brown (the big stories at the time were the Columbia space shuttle disaster and Lacey Peterson--who had only been missing for a month); I told him that I enjoyed his work and I looked forward to him getting his own show on CNN; he was quick and his response and absolutely hilarious; I was struck by how gracious and humorous he was, and while the drama that surrounds his personal life is kind of pathetic, I really do believe that he's a genuinely nice guy

- Robin Meade (hosts a morning show on HLN); typical beauty queen; perky and sweet--she didn't seem particularly genuine, but she seemed to appreciate the compliments I gave to her

by Anonymousreply 606/11/2010

I just remembered that I sent an e-mail to Joy Behar when Elisabeth was new to the show. I asked her how she was able to maintain control and not slap the fuck out of her. Joy did not reply.

by Anonymousreply 706/11/2010

I covered both of R3's conditions: I wrote to Melissa Sue Anderson (Mary on "Little House on the Prairie") when I was 11 or so. Never heard back. And while I was recuperation from clinically depression, I wrote to Tom Hulce because of his performance in "Amadeus". Got to meet him in person while he was doing "The Normal Heart" in New Haven.

by Anonymousreply 806/11/2010

I'd write some hate mail to Elton John if I knew his address.

by Anonymousreply 906/11/2010

As a teen I sent one to Johnny Carson, Buddy Ebsen and the show ST. ELSEWHERE. Carson's people sent me a form letter saying thanks and that Mr. Carson reads his mail, but doesn't personally respond. Ebsen replied to me. It was short (1 or 2 sentences). I got a signed cast photo from ST. ELSEWHERE.

by Anonymousreply 1006/11/2010

My list is strange but here goes-

Ann B. Davis sent an autographed photo, as did Mary Tyler Moore, Kathy Garver, Karen Valentine, Patty Duke, and several others. I got a photo and letter from Michelle Lee. Ann-Margret and I still exchange Xmas and birthday cards but I worked for her for a short time. Years ago, my best friend and I were drunk and decided to write to Edie McClurg. We did and several weeks later we each got a letter and photo. In the letter/s, she told us she loved all her fans "drunk OR sober".

by Anonymousreply 1106/11/2010

My friend and I were in a Burger King when we were 13 and I swear we saw MC Hammer. She said it wasn't him. I wrote asking if he was at the Burger King in Seaford NY on that date.

Two weeks later I got an "personal invitation to join the MC Hammer fan club". With bigger stars, I doubt anyone ever reads these things at all.

by Anonymousreply 1206/11/2010

Yes....When I was 10 or so I went through a classic film phase and wrote to Bette Davis asking her to please sign the picture of her that I cut out of a magazine and she returned it and an actual 8x10 glossy autographed photo

I wrote to Gloria Swanson telling her how much I enjoyed Sunset Boulevard as well as her early silent films and she sent me an autographed 8X10 from Sunset and a nice note thanking me for being such a sweet young fan

I always wanted a Garbo Autograph but NEVER got one........

I wrote to many film stars of the silent and golden era of films who were still alive and I got a pretty good 80% return rate...It also helps when you include a self addressed stamped envelope.....LOL someday the collection might make a good retirement fund

by Anonymousreply 1306/11/2010

I wrote a very strange email to Brian Unger when he was a correspondent on The Daily Show, back in the Craig Kilborn days. I don't know what I was thinking, but I told him I thought he was hot. No response, of course. I must have been drunk...

by Anonymousreply 1406/11/2010

As a kid, I wrote to Debbie Gibson, Sigourney Weaver and Jodie Foster.

Never heard back from any of them. The cunts.

by Anonymousreply 1506/11/2010

Some people of note will answer on twitter.

Twitter is a free-for-all

by Anonymousreply 1606/11/2010

I sent a Farside card to Johnny Carson when he retired, to let him know how much I enjoyed him over the years.

by Anonymousreply 1706/11/2010

I also wrote to Bette Davis and she sent me 2 signed 8 x 10 photo's. I still have them.

by Anonymousreply 1806/11/2010

I wrote Cleo Laine when she turned 80. I always liked her music and spent a pleasant 20 minutes once with her while she was stuck on the street waiting for a late car after a performance - talk about down to earth.

However, I had a friend who sent Robert Goulet two dozen roses and picture of himself nude with a teddy bear strategically placed. The delivery was made to Goulet's dressing room where he was appearing. My friend was disappointed that Goulet never called. Of course he was completely drunk during his run, breaking character to tell terrible stories about Carol Lawrence. It was the alcoholism that made him so appealing to my friend, poor dear.

by Anonymousreply 1906/11/2010

Some show business people have question and answer sessions on twitter. Rob Thomas, the singer, has them occasionally. As does Scarlett Johannson.

by Anonymousreply 2006/11/2010

I wrote to Donna Summer's fan club about tour info in 1987, and got a handwritten note back from Donna explaining the fan club was then defunct and a signed photo. I was glad that Donna personally got to read that I was willing to fly wherever I had to to see her in concert. A new fan club started up a few years later and ran until the late 90s when the internet made it obsolete.

by Anonymousreply 2206/11/2010

r15, when did you write them? I heard or read, I have no idea, that Jodie used to write to fans and even call them, before Hickley. In fact, that's why there's recording of Jodie/Hinkley phone conversations, she would take the call.

Missed your chance?

by Anonymousreply 2306/11/2010

That's pretty cool, r22 that she wrote back even with her fan club closed. Can you imagine stars now writing back a personal letter explaining that?

by Anonymousreply 2406/11/2010

How does the internet makes fan clubs obsolete?

by Anonymousreply 2506/11/2010

I wouldn't write a letter, since I don't write letters to anyone, but I send notes on email, Twitter and Facebook to various celebrities all the time. Why not? It's for entertainment purposes only, and sometimes they write you back. They ask you to Tweet them so it's all good.

by Anonymousreply 2606/11/2010

A fan site that has updated every Sunday night for nearly 15 yrs now, r25. That's the new fan club.

by Anonymousreply 2706/11/2010

R26's post from start to finish makes me sad and fearful for the future of our culture.

by Anonymousreply 2806/12/2010

Mariska sent me a pubic hair, just one, but she did fulfill my request.

by Anonymousreply 2906/12/2010

Laura Weber. She very graciously responded with a hand-written postcard. Gracious, because my 10-year-old self had been inadvertently ham-handed in my fan letter.

by Anonymousreply 3006/12/2010

I was a bored child. I have autographed pics from Mary Tyler Moore, Paul Newman, Steve McQueen and tons of 70's movie stars. Individual and cast pics from MASH, Little House, the Waltons and several other big 70's stars like Loni Anderson. In the late 80's, exchanged several letters with James Stewart and Katharine Hepburn; their replies are on their personal letterhead. Have a couple nice letters from Queen Elizabeth's Lady-in-Waiting. When Henry Fonda died, I sent a telgram to Jane expressing condolences; she sent an in-memoriam card with a picture of Henry as Tom Joad on the front and his (Steinbeck's)famous quote on the inside; Jane signed it.

Yes, I was bored.

by Anonymousreply 3106/12/2010

r28, sorry Grandpa, the internet is here to stay. I can imagine what your take on electricity and indoor plumbing is.

by Anonymousreply 3206/12/2010

Sent a letter to Rosie when she was a vj on VH1. She sent me a letter back with lots of humor and thanks. Still have it.

by Anonymousreply 3306/12/2010

[quote] In fact, that's why there's recording of Jodie/Hinkley phone conversations,

Really?? Very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 3406/12/2010

When I was 11 I sent a request to Cheryl Ladd for an autograph. We moved so I don't know if (a) my mother actually mailed it and (b) if she did if the pic came after we moved.

by Anonymousreply 3506/12/2010

Not quite a fan letter but I did send a letter to Elton John when I was a chid. The house he lives in in Old Windsor was the house my grandparents met in (when they were both working for the owner). When it was coming up to their 50th wedding anniversary I wrote to ask if they could visit the house. He was very nice and arranged a tour, champagne and a meal. He was really lovely to my nan and granddad.

by Anonymousreply 3606/12/2010

When I was 12 I sent a letter to Michael Jackson, and he replied asking for my stats.

by Anonymousreply 3706/12/2010

I just found the letter I wrote to Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore when I was in grade school. I told them if they were ever in my small town they could come by and visit. I wrote to Helen Reddy in high school and received an answer. I latter found out it was an assistant that actually wrote it.

by Anonymousreply 3806/12/2010

Because a friend of hers listed her address here on DL I sent Betty Hutton a "thank you for being you" kind of a card.

Then she died.

by Anonymousreply 3906/12/2010

Dorothy Hamill, around 1977 when I was 17. I got an autographed photo in return.

by Anonymousreply 4006/12/2010

Late in her life, when I was a kid, I wrote a fan letter to Ethel Merman, commenting on some of her performances and asking some questions. She wrote me back, in longhand, a great letter answering all my questions. It was written on legal pad paper with a felt tip pen. Very casual and friendly - signed "Regards, E.M." and mailed in an envelope on which she had written "Air Mail". This was many years after the "air mail" distinction was applicable.

by Anonymousreply 4106/12/2010

We've done this type of thread several times before and I never get tired of reading the replies. There are always some that are new to the discussion and many are delightful stories.

As much as I loathe Elton John, I'm glad he was so kind to the nan and granddad of r36.

by Anonymousreply 4206/12/2010

No lie, I wrote Rosie O'Donnell a fan letter when I was a young teenager and she was a VJ on VH1. I thought she was hilarious. She sent me back a postcard w/ her autograph, which I still have. I'm a gay male BTW.

by Anonymousreply 4306/12/2010

When I was 12 I wrote a letter to Shaun Cassidy and Parker Stevenson. I never heard back.

by Anonymousreply 4406/12/2010

Have you ever sent fan mail to a family member?

by Anonymousreply 4506/12/2010

I wrote Lauren Bacall.

Her reply was an envelope of white powder.

I don't feel so good.

by Anonymousreply 4606/12/2010

[quote]Laura Weber. She very graciously responded with a hand-written postcard.

Do you mean Genie Francis?

by Anonymousreply 4706/12/2010

About 20 years ago, I sent fan mail to a local anchor after a particularly interesting noon newscast. First she did an interview with someone about testicular cancer, who was urging men to feel their balls (this was 20 years ago, and kind of made me snicker.) Jill didn't flinch. Then she did a segment with Bobcat Goldthwait. He made a total ass of himself, but Jill remained poised.

She sent me a sweet reply on purple paper, written with purple ink. I sent her a couple of more over the next few years.

Cut to the present. Her morning show has a live chat, and we have become reacquainted. She is still a doll.

by Anonymousreply 4806/12/2010

I wrote a fan letter to the whole cast of 90210 (original) and to my amazement, got a response back in the form of a poster.

I also wrote to Micheal Jackson, Tia and Tamara Mowry and the boy group Immature. They never wrote back.

by Anonymousreply 4906/12/2010

C. Thomas Howell. Got an signed photo EIGHT YEARS later! a

by Anonymousreply 5006/12/2010

Better late than never, r50. I wrote to Olivia Newton-John back in the early 80s, during the height of her fame. About two months later I received a printout of "Olivia from A to Z" about her favorite things etc. Then, about 2 years later I received a personally signed photograph from her.

by Anonymousreply 5106/12/2010

OK, here goes:

As a 10-12 year old gay boy I wrote fan letters to Valerie Bertinelli, Nancy McKeon, and yes....Lisa Welchel.

I got standard letters/autographed pics from all of them. Nancy's was actually a post card and it had a real ugly-ass pic of her. I was pissed she didn't look like "Jo."

The letter from Lisa said it was from her grandmother who took care of her fan mail because Lisa was "too busy" to do it herself. She threw in a pic of Lisa from the show that looked like one of those wallet sized high school pictures you get.

I also wrote to Madonna. She sent me a fold out poster of a pic from the Material Girl video with a letter on the back. The letter was hand-written & started off with "I'm writing this just for you. I'm sitting in my hotel room during a break from the tour" but it looked like a photo-copy. That said, she did reference all of the questions I asked in my letter so I always held out hope that she did really write to ME.

by Anonymousreply 5206/12/2010

I sent a birthday card to Troy Aikman and got an offer to join his fan club.

I think his mom ran or still runs his fan club.

by Anonymousreply 5306/12/2010

I find these responses very entertaining and I have also always wondered how you know how to contact the celebrity...where do you send your request? What address do you use?

by Anonymousreply 5406/12/2010

[quote] but it looked like a photo-copy

How can you not tell if something's a photo-copy or not?

by Anonymousreply 5506/12/2010

[italic]How can you not tell if something's a photo-copy or not?[/italic]

I just meant that it wasn't like she sent me a page ripped out of her notebook or stationery that she wrote on. It was printed on the back of a poster on glossy paper and looked mass-produced.

by Anonymousreply 5606/12/2010

Kate Bush.

In the mid 80s I sent an unsigned birthday card to her, asking her to sign it and post it on to a friend of mine.

And she did.

by Anonymousreply 5706/12/2010

Writing celebrities was a hobby for me. I wrote tons of soap opera actors (Ricky Martin, Sarah Michelle Gellar, etc. They both sent signed photos). I almost always received a response. Jimmy Stewart sent a card not long before he died.

by Anonymousreply 5806/12/2010

I emailed Lily Tomlin a few years back. Of course I told her how much I have loved her forever, and I asked if there would be a CD version of her comedy albums coming out.

Two or three months later I received a very nice reply email, short and sweet. She thanked me for the note, and promised that CD's were in the works.

Now I love her even more.

by Anonymousreply 5906/12/2010

[quote] I find these responses very entertaining and I have also always wondered how you know how to contact the celebrity...where do you send your request? What address do you use?

When I was a teenager I used to write to people for autographs. This was from about 1995-2001.

I used to get my addresses a number of ways. There were books, and at the time a newsgroup (remember those?) where people used to post their successes. I don't know if it still exists. There was also a free website where people would post addresses called StarArchive which I think is now called something else and is no longer free.

For people who were currently working, I'd send to theatres or sets and sometimes to their agents. For people that weren't working much I'd usually send to their homes. In retrospect it was a little eerie that I had, say Estelle Getty's home address.

I collected mostly television stars and some politicians. The politicians ALWAYS sent something because for them, postage is free.

Looking back at the people I wrote to and got responses, it was pretty gay for a teenage boy to send letters to. Some that spring to mind, Isabel Sanford, Linda Evans, Bea Arthur, Jerry Herman, Conrad Bain, Joan Collins, Sarah Jessica Parker, Joe E. Tata, Lisa Whelchel, Nancy McKeon, Charlotte Rae (Mindy Cohn and Kim Fields NEVER answered), Peter Graves, Marla Pennington, Dick Van Dyke, Liza, Whoopi, Dorothy Lyman, Phylicia Rashad, Charlton Heston (yes I know).

I never really asked questions, but I remember writing a really sweet and probably cheesy note to Mary Beth Peil (Grams on Dawson's Creek) and getting a nice note from her. I also remember asking Marla Gibbs if there'd ever be a "227" reunion and her writing back "maybe?"

I have about five binders, but haven't sent out a request in years. I'm not embarrassed about having collected, but it just seems strange as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 6006/12/2010

Not exactly fanmail, but I wrote to a celebrity and got overwhelming response. I got response [bold]by the ton.[/bold]

I wrote to Dear Abby that my military unit would be away from the USA at Christmas time and it would be nice if we could get some Christmas greetings from the folks at home.

Omigod, you can't imagine the result. Tens of thousands of letters/cards and thousands of packages. They arrived by tractor-trailer nearly every day for a month.

Thousands of people baked chocolate-chip cookies. We got three Christmas trees wrapped in wet burlap and plastic to keep them fresh. We got tapes from choirs. Entire schools drew Christmas pictures.

We had about 2,000 guys in our unit and there were volunteers working through the night, every night, opening packages and sorting the letters and cards. The drawings by kids were taped up on the walls of all the passageways. At all hours of the days and nights, there would be guys looking at the pictures and basking in the glow of good wishes they represented.

Several times a day, there would be an announcement of the Operation Dear Abby Mailcall. Guys from every office would come to get stacks of holiday greetings (and cookies) and there would be hundreds of men spending breaks and off-duty time writing replies. We were half a globe away from the U.S. but we knew the folks back home cared about us. Never in my life could I have imagined that one letter would generate so much mail and good will.

by Anonymousreply 6106/13/2010

I sent a fan letter to Wolman Mac thanking him for showing 'The Legend of Bigfoot' and he sent me a Bigbutt whistle prop from the sketch portion of the episode.

by Anonymousreply 6206/13/2010

Not quite in the same vein, but when I was a young adolescent, I wrote to my then favorite author, Madeleine L'Engle, gushing over her books- and wanting to add something personal- I also included some Chinese paper-cutouts that were precious to me.

So she wrote me back a beautiful long-handed letter, carefully acknowledging all of my comments, and I'm embarassed to admit, asking if I had made the delicate cutouts myself. ( I hadn't) She encouraged me in my own youthful scribblings in the most soulful way imaginable. I was walking on clouds for days.

P.S.- Great story R61!

by Anonymousreply 6306/13/2010

That is also a great story, R63!

by Anonymousreply 6406/13/2010

[quote]I just meant that it wasn't like she sent me a page ripped out of her notebook or stationery that she wrote on. It was printed on the back of a poster on glossy paper and looked mass-produced.

I don't get how it could have been photocopied. You said in your original post that she answered your questions.

by Anonymousreply 6506/13/2010

I sent a long fan letter to Joan Crawford after I saw her on TV in "Queen Bee." I must have been around 13 or 14 at the time, and was already acquiring a taste for unrepentant, high-quality bitchiness.

I got a nice typed letter back and a personally autographed photo thanking me for all the nice things I said about her and how much she appreciated my taking the time to write to her.

About ten years later, my mom, with the help of two my aunts during one her of Spring Cleaning Invitationals, tossed out the box of memorabilia that included that letter and picture along with photos and/or letters from Connie Francis, Troy Donahue, Brenda Lee, Roger Smith and Robert Conrad.

I had stored it in the depths of the basement rather than drag it across country to my tiny studio apartment in L.A. They decided that "he'll never want to see this junk again" and away it went.

by Anonymousreply 6606/13/2010

That's OK reply 66, as the movie showed, assistants took care of the fan mail.

by Anonymousreply 6706/13/2010

I wrote to an author whose work I adore and he sent me an early copy of his next book along with numerous other articles he'd written and has kept up email and phone correspondence with me for over a decade.

by Anonymousreply 6806/13/2010

r67. Thanks for the info - I never saw MD. If it was just an assistant signing everything, I feel a little better.

by Anonymousreply 6906/13/2010

I sent a handwritten letter in my best Palmer script to 280 Main Street, Amherst, MA 01002. Emily never answered.

by Anonymousreply 7006/13/2010

I sent a sycophantic letter to Maiah Carey, and she sent me back a basket of puppies, which was nice.

by Anonymousreply 7106/13/2010

I sent a delicate handwritten note to Khloe Kardashian, and in return I received a stool sample and a small vial of urine.

by Anonymousreply 7206/13/2010

I've corresponded to author Ann Rule a few times. She seems like a really nice person.

I did read something on her website that made me think she was really naive, even after studying the behavior of some of the most evil people out there. She met Ryan O'Neal on the set of the Diane Downs movie and said he couldn't have been nicer. She didn't believe the stories about him being abusive!

by Anonymousreply 7306/13/2010

I've told this story here on DL before...

When I was 15 I wrote a letter to the author James Kirkwood after reading his novel 'Good Times/Bad Times', which, at the time, had a profound effect on me. I received a hand written note back from him.

Approximately 15 years later, in a very roundabout way, I met him through a friend from Atlanta. The friend was visiting me in NYC and we were invited to Kirkwood's apartment for drinks. While we were there, I sheepishly told Kirkwood that I had written him a gushing fan letter years ago. He got up, went in to another room, and returned with the letter I had written him. I have no recollection now about what I wrote in the letter, and didn't ask him then what was so special about the letter that he had it at hand.

But, damn, that was cool.

He was a very nice guy, and though I never got to know him well, I did run in to him a few more times and he always remembered me.

by Anonymousreply 7406/13/2010

I sent a fan letter to Jack Webb, star of TV's "Dragnet." Received a 5X7 B&W. His signature was part of the photo.

by Anonymousreply 7506/15/2010

I sent a letter to Douglas Hodge at Christmas after seeing him in La Cage aux Folles in London. He sent me a very sweet note back.

by Anonymousreply 7606/15/2010

In the 70s I sent a fan letter to James Cagney. I was around 10 yrs old at the time. He sent me a signed photo which to this day I am not sure what it says.

by Anonymousreply 7706/15/2010

I remember your story, R74. Thanks for retelling it.

by Anonymousreply 7806/15/2010

Who was the author, r68?

One of the funniest things I've ever read on the DL was a story about the 80s by someone who wrote to David Hasselfhoff during his Knightrider days. He was sent an 'autograph' from KITT instead, which was a tyre track on paper. The randomness totally cracked me up.

by Anonymousreply 7906/15/2010

Any fanmail lately?

by Anonymousreply 8006/17/2010

Yup! Sent a letter to Christopher Reeve and George Michael when I was 11 and 15. No response.

by Anonymousreply 8106/17/2010

As a young gay, I wrote to RuPaul via email. I thought I'd never hear back but I wanted to thank her for being fun and happy and always positive. I felt, at the time, that there were so many gay people who were fighting all the time and we always seemed angry. Just thanked her for showing the world that gays can be fun, too. I think this was when she had her talkshow.

She wrote back saying "I have always believed in sweetness and light and I hope you will carry those with you as you grow older" among other things. I thought it was sweet. If I dig through my old emails I bet I could find it. Bet she didn't really write it . . but is/was she "big" enough to have an email response team?

by Anonymousreply 8206/17/2010

As an adolescent/teen I sent fan mail to a few people, and (as I think I mentioned on another thread), one of my favorite replies was from Deborah Kerr, who sent a hand-written note. (She was appearing in "The Last of Mrs. Cheyney" in Baltimore, so I wrote care of the theater).

Other theater folk who responded included Lynn Redgrave, Glenda Jackson, Patrick Stewart, but I got a very scoldy email from Kathleen Turner's agent telling me NOT to write to her at the theater.

I've also written letters to various authors, and treasure the reply I got from Anne Tyler. Anne McCaffrey also sent a fairly long, detailed response.

I have done a fair amount of freelance journalism, so I have saved some notes from celebs I dealt with professionally. (Usually something like: thanks for the interview).

Email has changed things a bit, and I've had email exchanges with Courtney Love (who mistook me for Kathleen Hanna), Amy Ray (after the Indigo Girls were "disinvited" from an appearance at my former high school), and a few others.

Way back in the early days of the 'net, I once got into an online chat with a guy who called himself "Prince R. Nelson" and didn't realize til AFTER that it was Prince.

by Anonymousreply 8306/17/2010

R83, please tell us the details of your conversation with Prince.

by Anonymousreply 8406/17/2010

I wrote to Blondie when I was 15 and their first album came out. I got a bunch of signed glossies, a press kit from their label and a letter from the president of there fan club, Jeffrey Lee Pierce, who later when on to form The Gun Club, we remained friends until he died. He was a mess, but he was a sweetheart and he introduced me to Grant Hart (Husker Du drummer), which is a whole mess of a story in itself.

by Anonymousreply 8506/17/2010

When I was 14, I loved Steve Winwood's album "Arc of a Diver"--not just the music, but the cover art as well.

I wrote to the record label asking if the cover art was available as a poster.

I was shocked to get an original mock-up of the album art, signed by Steve Winwood thanking me for having "excellent taste in art and semi-excellent taste in music." Ha.

by Anonymousreply 8606/17/2010

Yes, tell us what Prince said, please.

by Anonymousreply 8706/17/2010

I think I wrote a fan letter to somebody when I was a kid, but I can't remember who I sent it to.

I can understand kids doing it but I don't know why any adult would. It's a silly thing to do, writing to somebody you don't know. I have no idea why any adult would write a fan letter, unless it was somebody who collected autographs as a hobby.

by Anonymousreply 8806/17/2010

[59] I hate to break it to you, but I've had long-distance dealings with Lily Tomlin, and she is one of the most selfish, cold-hearted people you could imagine! Anything nice she does is just when it's convenient for her. Anything beyond that, and you can forget it!

Sorry, but I had to let it out---the lady is a jerk!

by Anonymousreply 8903/26/2013

So r81, did you jinx those guys and put a curse on them? Have you written to people who didn't have totally random tragedies after not answering your letter?

by Anonymousreply 9003/26/2013

I don't remember how I got his NY address but I sent a fan letter to Chris NOth who sent back an autographed picture. He addressed the envelope as the handwritting on the pic matched the envelope. The return address was CA but the zip code it was mailed from was NYC.

I sent a fan letter to Kevin Spacey. Got an autographed pic weeks later (this was during the Iceman days) with an apology for being so late.

Also got a signed pic of Russell Crowe during his Gladitor days. Looked like someone else wrote the salutation but he signed the pic. Also included postcards of his band and little pics of him.

by Anonymousreply 9103/26/2013

I wrote to Pamela Sue Anderson when she was on television as Nancy Drew. The bitch never responded. I hate her now.

by Anonymousreply 9203/26/2013

Many stars have a professional fan mail service. They don't even read the fan, but arrange to send a standard 'form' letter back.

And this comes out of their pocket, all the photos, envelopes, mailing costs, etc.

Then you have stars that don't even bother with fan mail, they just ignore it.

Michael Weatherly (NCIS) is one star who doesn't even glance at his fan mail. His explanation is that they are writing to the character they see on TV, not to him.

by Anonymousreply 9303/26/2013

Yes. I went through a period of watching Young and Restless and wrote Jeanne Cooper a letter asking for a photo. I included a short note pertaining to her story line at the time. She replied back with a glossy and personalized message specific to my letter. Still have the glossy, envelope, etc.

I also have signed glossy from Clint Eastwood in the 70's when I wrote to him.

by Anonymousreply 9403/26/2013

Sandra Bullock actually CALLS her fans back

Go to 3:50 at the video

by Anonymousreply 9503/26/2013

I don't do this sort of thing, but I knew a gay college kid in the 1970s that sent Barbra Streisand some God-awful repo Sarah Bernhardt poster. It was embarrassing - total garbage. Well, what do you know, he got a hand-written thank you response from Ms. BS!

by Anonymousreply 9603/26/2013

Johnathan Frid. He sent me a 5x7 as barnabas Collins with a crawled autograph.

by Anonymousreply 9703/26/2013

Theatre Queen

I wrote to Angela Lansbury about Sweeney Todd. I asked a ton of questions about the show, her acting choices, everything she did in the show because I was so obsessed with it and her. She sent me a great handwritten reply. I was shocked how detailed her answers were.

Wrote to Sondheim in the early 80's asking how to get a (then) unpublished song of his I wanted to sing for auditions. He sent me a complete piano score copy with a nice note.

by Anonymousreply 9803/26/2013

[quote]I wrote to Pamela Sue Anderson when she was on television as Nancy Drew.

I was a fan of her's too. I love the episode of "Nancy Drew" where she rips off her top and starts cavorting in the sand.

by Anonymousreply 9903/26/2013

This is embarrassing, but I sent some fan letters to a couple of soap stars when I was a teen.

I had sent Ruth Warrick (Phoebe, All My Children) one and didn't get a reply for like two or three years--I wasn't even living at home anymore. I had totally forgotten I'd written her but I think I had just watched her in Citizen Kane or something. She sent a nice letter saying that her "former" assistant had been hiding fan mail so she wouldn't have to deal with it, and Ruth had found boxes of unopened letters that had been hidden and was striving to answer them all. I thought that was pretty sweet.

My Julianne Moore obsession had started when she was on As The World Turns, so when she was leaving the show, I wrote her. I knew she was already gone from the show so I didn't expect much. Somehow she got it, and wrote me back a lovely, 2 page letter with three autographed pics--including one of her and Valerie Bertinelli from "I'll Take Manhattan". It wasn't just a form letter either, she actually referred to several different things I'd said in my letter. So, I've pretty much loved her ever since.

by Anonymousreply 10003/26/2013

I left a note at a theater that Joan Allen was performing at, and she sent back a very sweet handwritten note on girly paper. It made me love her even more; she was very gracious.

by Anonymousreply 10103/26/2013

I sent Jeanne Cooper a note about how much I loved her perfume and she responded very graciously.

I hope she pull through. Lovely woman.

by Anonymousreply 10204/14/2013

"I sent a birthday card to Troy Aikman and got an offer to join his fan club.

I think his mom ran or still runs his fan club."

LOL, I sent him a fan letter when I was 12. I never got a response, so I assumed he just laughed at it and threw it in the trash. I guess it was his mom who was laughing at it :)

by Anonymousreply 10302/13/2014

Only once. I sent a letter to a celebrity who was dealing with some professional difficulty. I didn't get a written response, but I was amazed when the letter was acknowledged, using my name, in a radio interview. That was cool, I thought.

by Anonymousreply 10402/13/2014

Anyone have a good fan address for Carol Burnett? I'd love to send her a letter telling her how much I loved her comedy and how it probably saved me from destroying myself when I was severely depressed.

by Anonymousreply 10502/13/2014

I wrote Barbara Bush once about a charity she and I both have an interest in.

She came to my house and head butted me personally.

by Anonymousreply 10602/13/2014

I wrote a letter to Mariah Carey when I was in elementary school (one of my "dialing the telephone with a pencil" moments). She never replied, probably because I asked if she was white or black.

by Anonymousreply 10702/13/2014

I wrote Buddy Ebsen, Johnny Carson and the show ST. ELSEWHERE.

Buddy wrote me a short letter.

Carson had a rep respond for him.

I got a signed cast photo from SE.

by Anonymousreply 10802/13/2014

On a trip to England, I came upon John Gielgud in Oxford in 1992 while he was shooting the outdoor procession scene in the "Twilight Of The Gods" episode of INSPECTOR MORSE. I behaved like some sort of loony paparazzi, he noticed, and when they cut for a bit, he cruised me. Hard. I met him, shook his hand, and got his autograph. He was so stately, but kind. What a wonderful experience! Months later, a friend helped me find his home address in England and I sent him copies of the best pictures I'd taken of him. Do you know he took the time to write a thank you note and greeting on personalized note card stock with his signature? I was beyond thrilled and treasure the whole experience.

by Anonymousreply 10902/13/2014

I wrote to several celebs, asking them to record some greetings on audio cassette tapes for a project I was working on. I got tapes from Johnny Cash, Lucille Ball, Helen Reddy, Jane Withers, Loni Anderson, and Carol Burnett. (Sorry R105, I no longer have CB's address.) Johnny Cash recorded an interesting story about when he was in the Air Force. I think he said he was stationed in Germany. Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 11002/13/2014

Oh R109, that's so heartening to hear. I always thought Gielgud would be very standoffish and nasty; no doubt your good looks enticed him.

I wrote to Brian Dennehy many years ago and he replied with a very nice note and an autographed photo. A total class act.

Diane Keaton, on the other hand, either didn't receive my nice missive or ignored it when I sent her a beautifully illustrated note saying how much I'd enjoyed her book on her mother.

by Anonymousreply 11102/15/2014

Yes. Responses from: Julie Harris Donna Douglas Marla Gibbs Karl Malden Kevin Costner--personalized with note Kelsey Grammer Fran Drescher-personalized with a very nice note Charles Shaughnessy Dixie Carter--personalized with a nice note Bea Arthur Jean Smart Delta Burke (with a short note) Whoopi Goldbery (with a short note) Julie Andrews Mary Tyler Moore Valerie Harper--personalized with a nice note Betty White Vicki Lawrence Juliet Mills Dame Maggie Smith Sharon Gless Kaye Ballard--personalized with a nice note Matt LeBlanc Doris Day (it looks printed, not handsigned) Patty Duke (looks printed, not handsigned) NO RESPONSES FROM: Carol Burnette/the other cast members of Designing Women and Golden Girls and Frasier. I did this as a kid and as a teen.

by Anonymousreply 11203/15/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!