Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Samsung: Shitty Products or Just Me?

Years ago, I bought a Samsung TV that just stopped working after a little over a year. Rather than bother with it, I just replaced it. No big deal; I was waiting for a reason to go HD anyway. Last year, I bought a Samsung Blu-Ray player for the HD in the living room. It died a month later. I returned it to Best Buy, where they apologized and said they see a lot of Blu-Ray players get returned. No problem; they swapped it out and all was fine. Today, for no reason, that Blu-Ray player died. Anyone else have issues with Samsung products or did I just get a couple of bad duds?

by Anonymousreply 124July 5, 2021 12:00 AM

Samsung used to be Made in Korea and good quality. In the last few years, they have jumped on the Made in China bandwagon. 8 year old girls work cheaper, but they don't have the same attention to detail, especially when you make them work 16 hour shifts without washroom breaks. The Japanese companies also use China, but for final assembly only. The complex parts are still made in Japan. Buy Japanese, Toshiba, Hitachi, Sony, Akai, Panasonic

by Anonymousreply 1June 7, 2010 12:38 AM

FWIW, I've had both a Samsung TV and DVD player for 7 years with no problem. Maybe my experience is unusual.

by Anonymousreply 2June 7, 2010 12:39 AM

I also had a really cheap Samsung TV which died early on, but jeez it had beautiful color. Samsung = LG, which seems to have an excellent reputation in the marketplace over a wide range of products.

by Anonymousreply 3June 7, 2010 1:06 AM

My Samsung TV (a gift) died after only 8 months. When I did an internet search about it I found it was common for that make of TV. So yes they do suck.

by Anonymousreply 4June 7, 2010 1:12 AM

My samsung Tv is 6 years old and still going strong, as is a samsung dvd player.

by Anonymousreply 5June 7, 2010 2:33 AM

I'm surpised Best Buy allowed you to return it. They have the worse return policies. Usually, if it's broken, Best Buy says too bad.

by Anonymousreply 6June 7, 2010 2:40 AM

Samsung has great phones.

by Anonymousreply 7June 7, 2010 2:48 AM

I have three Samsung flat screens and they're the best tv's I've ever owned. I also have a Samsung fridge and I have the same praise.

by Anonymousreply 8June 7, 2010 2:49 AM

I have had problems with Panasonic TV's - 2 of them died in under a year. Also a panny DVD player - dead in under 1 year of not over usage. Will never buy Panasonic again.

by Anonymousreply 9June 7, 2010 2:51 AM

My brother had probems with his Panasonic LCD tv one years after he bought it. I never buy those warranties that Best Buy gives out but he did. After 5 years of having tv guys come and fix the damn thing, they totally replaced his tv with a brand new model for free.

It's funny how some say Samsung made better products years ago. Both my Samsung tvs are almost 10 years old and still going strong as well as my 15 year old Toshiba. I want to get a new LED tv simply because of the picture quality and was going to get a Samsung but reading the recent problems may have to consider.

by Anonymousreply 10June 7, 2010 3:03 AM

Out of the 7 refrigerators I've had in the last 12 years, my current Samsung is the my favorite.

My current tv is a Panasonic with a really good warranty, which I'll probably use based on my crappy luck with all things electronic.

The previous tv was a Toshiba which just barely outlasted the warranty. The picture will show, however that perhaps it's not just evil electronic companies working against me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 7, 2010 3:11 AM

I think the "Made in China" wave, lowered the quality and price of all manufactured goods worldwide, from kitchen knifes to TVs.

Everything, clothes included, used to last a lot longer 10 years ago.

The Corporations love it, we are buying 3 times as much stuff as we used to buy. (you have to forget about that massive debt most Americans have though)

by Anonymousreply 12June 7, 2010 3:11 AM

No, Sammy makes shitty products, with their most crappy being their bluray players: They require constant firmware updates and most of those 'needed' updates end up bricking the players into worthless pieces of shit.

I bought an Oppo. Expensive, yes, but worth every penny and one of the best players on the market. If you want the best picture and sound, you can't do much better for the price.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 7, 2010 3:22 AM

I have a 27 year old Hitachi tv with-yes-a dial you rotate to turn the channels. It's so old I can't sync my cable company remote with it, but the picture is still decent.

by Anonymousreply 14June 7, 2010 3:48 AM

My friend has a Samsung Blu-Ray player that developed a problem right before it went out of warranty. Samsung fixed it. Three months later its doing the same thing. This time he has to pay (I think it was $129) to have it fixed (by Samsung) because by that time it is out of warranty. Two months later its having the same issues and Samsung wants another $129 to fix it. Samsung said it only had a 30-day warranty once they repair it. My friend refused. He's got a houseful of Samsung products but says no more. Neither will I.

by Anonymousreply 15June 7, 2010 1:02 PM

Even at their worst, Samsung is better than GE appliances.

Avoid at all costs.

Here's how bad they are -- the appliance division of GE has been for sale for nearly two years and NO ONE WANTS TO BUY IT, not even the Chinese. No offers from LG, Whirlpool, Samsung, Haier, Electrolux, etc. NO ONE!

In my opinion, Jack Welch took the much beloved and venerated appliance line that he inherited from former GE CEOs and allowed his accountants to utterly gut the quality and reliability right out of them ... presumably all for the sake of making the quarterly numbers for Wall Street and also to boost his annual bonuses.

by Anonymousreply 16June 7, 2010 1:20 PM

A lot of the companies are doing away with quality control. They found it was cheaper to make us do it. If it breaks then they replace it. It was cheaper than paying someone $15 a hour to check every item they make. Guess they don't care about their reputation.

by Anonymousreply 17June 7, 2010 1:25 PM

OP, check your outlet those devices are plugged into. I had a similar problem with two different brands of TVs and it turned out that the surge protecting powerstrip that I had them plugged into needed to be replaced. There's only so many power surges that one of those can take before you need to replace the fuse.

by Anonymousreply 18June 7, 2010 1:25 PM

Samsung cheats entire globe with cheap quality "Made in China" products marked as "Made in Korea" with same international licenses of certifications given to Samsung Electronics in Korea. And that is why they lack durability. Manufacturing of counterfeit components made at unknown destinations outside Korea as "Made in Korea" is global crime. And Samsung management is expert in breaking laws and passing counterfeits to consumers as original products. They are killing their brand by being greedy. Just place the two products side by side, and one will know the difference.

by Anonymousreply 19May 16, 2011 4:09 PM

Koreans stealing Western technology and using underaged Chinese sweatshop girls to manufacture it....yeah guaranteed formula for shitty products!

Korea is extremely anti-gay, so...... what is the problem? buy Japanese.

by Anonymousreply 20May 16, 2011 6:01 PM

Love Samsung. They're my new Sony. So over Sony.

by Anonymousreply 21May 16, 2011 6:04 PM

R11.... you made me laugh. Excessive cat fur. Sounds like my house!!!

by Anonymousreply 22May 16, 2011 6:12 PM

LG is Korean, too. Great LED TVs.

by Anonymousreply 23May 16, 2011 6:14 PM

I love the the color on Samsungs HDTV's but don't count on them lasting you more than 4 years tops. I have owned 4 of them and they all have had issues, my first one was replaced by Samsung with a newer model because I called their corporate headquarters and wrote a letter to the CEO bitching about our 42' DLP that broke after 5 months of barely any use, Circuit city tried to repair it two times with no success. We got lucky that time that the tv was replaced since we didn't buy a warranty but seriously who expects a tv that is rarely watched to break in under 5 months? This happened 5 years ago, since then the replacement tv we recieved has broken down. We also have a 50' Plasma which has given us a few issues & a 32' LCD with no problems in the last 3 years. I don't think that I would buy another one until they get their quality under control. FYI: I notice a Lot of Samsung blu-ray players being returned at Sams club they end up being sold at a discounted rate. I have a Sony blu-ray home theater system and it's been ok so far.

by Anonymousreply 24May 16, 2011 7:06 PM

My Samsung TV was awesome when I bought it. Two years later, the moment it was out of warantee, it started having issues... trouble turning on, and sometimes when it DID manage to turn itself on, there would be garbage all over the screen (tons of 'stuck' pink pixels). Turning it off and on again woudl clear it, but it's getting to be increasinly annoying.%0D %0D After spending that much money on a 46" HD TV a few years ago, I wasn't expecting to have to replace it again so soon. I don't know if this is something that can be repaired... or if it's worth it even if it can be (why pay $800 to repair a TV?)%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2011 7:23 PM

I'm on my second large SONY, I bought a 46" last May, so far, so good. I bought it at Costco, they add on three years free service to SONY's existing service contract.

The other SONY was a 36" big boxy TV, it lasted 12 years. Then again, it probably would have lasted longer had I not had it on most of the day. I work from home, I leave the TV on as a presence in the room. I'm distracted by music while I'm working, but not by the TV.

I have a 20" Panasonic in my bedroom, which I've had for 15 years and a small Toshiba in my spare room, which was working fine until the crappy converter conked out. I do my ironing in there, I'd put the TV on while doing that.

Someone should recommend a good TV converter, the crappy ones being sold when the government offered those so-called $40 Rebates were total pieces of shit.

Besides the converter I'd bought, my mom gave me hers because she bought a small HD TV for her bedroom, she no longer needed a converter, HD TVs have the comverters built it. Her converter conked out too! I even tried a few different antennas nothing has worked. I can't see adding on cable in room I'm barely in.

btw, my dad has a 19" RCA for about 25 years! It's still working fine. Today, most electronics are built to breakdown much faster.

by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2011 7:40 PM

Inherited my mothers Made in the USA, Electrohome Color TV. She bought new in 1976. It is still working in the bedroom with the CD player. I have been through 5 new TVs in 10 years, all failed outside of warranty. The latest one, RCA, lasted 7 months and I am back to an old 27" tube TV I found at garage sale for $10, until I figure out what to do.

I am not going to spend big money ever again, because no brand lasts anymore. So the first 42 inch TV, that comes down in price is my next TV.

by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2011 7:55 PM

Samsung is crap. My HDTV went out after two years and my bluray player lasted only 7 months before needing attention. Firmware updates and numerous calls to customer service later I am THROUGH with samsung.

by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2011 8:07 PM

That makes sense, R1. One of my tvs is a Samsung. It is 12 years old and still works well.

I also recently bought a Galaxy tab. So far, so good.

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2011 8:13 PM

R27, in 1976 all Electrohome TVs were manufactured in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. It was never a "made in the USA" company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2011 8:20 PM

Samsung makes plenty of extremely bad products. Just look through product reviews. Research before you buy.

by Anonymousreply 31July 25, 2011 8:24 PM

Samsung is all garbage now. They sold out their name to the Made in China crap factory.

by Anonymousreply 32July 25, 2011 9:11 PM

I agree with OP. We bought 8 27" monitors and they all died within two years. While the Viewsonic and Sony keep working.

Getting them fixed under warranty is absolutely a pain. We finally decided we will never buy Samsung again.

by Anonymousreply 33July 25, 2011 9:18 PM

The Nexus S phone is terrific. They now make two GSM models, one that works on AT&T as well as one for T-Mobile, and a CDMA model for Sprint. I think you have to buy the AT&T-compatible model unlocked, though, not subsidized through AT&T.

All other Samsung phones and tablets are mystifyingly bad, but mostly because of the custom versions of Android they run, not because of Samsung's hardware.

by Anonymousreply 34July 25, 2011 9:23 PM

Samsung can samsuck it. I have their Exhibit phone for Tmobile. Most worthless piece of crap I ever bought.

by Anonymousreply 35March 7, 2012 6:24 PM

When it comes to shoddy products, Toshiba is one of the market leaders.

by Anonymousreply 36March 7, 2012 9:26 PM

Actually, I believe that Samsung manufactures most of Sony TVs these days. Strangely, I had some rather shitty experiences (kind of like OP0 with Sony products but not with Samsung.

by Anonymousreply 37March 7, 2012 9:30 PM

All I know is that I bought a camera from Samsung a few years ago and it's a piece of garbage. Freezes up all the time for no reason whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 38March 7, 2012 9:47 PM

"I have a 27 year old Hitachi tv with-yes-a dial you rotate to turn the channels"

I have a 32 y/o old 13" Hitachi -- still going strong, gorgeous color.

by Anonymousreply 39March 7, 2012 9:59 PM

I've two Samsung big flatscreen tvs. One 32", the other 42". Both of them toast within two years. I plucked up courage to phone their head office in the UK and they listened to what happened and agreed to come out and look at the tellys free of charge. Apparently burnt out 'capacitors'(?sp)is a known fault on Samsung tvs and they repaired both in my house within an hour with NO CHARGE! Both televisions are fine now (although for how long who knows lol) and I'm happy with the after care service.

by Anonymousreply 40March 7, 2012 10:15 PM

My LG flatscreen TV is going on 8 years now and now problems (knocking on wood). I never had a Panasonic product last more than a year or two - so I swore never again. Panasuckit.

by Anonymousreply 41March 8, 2012 1:38 AM

My 55" Samsung HDTV is exquisite, and has been completely reliable.

by Anonymousreply 42March 8, 2012 1:44 AM

i meant "NO" problems.

by Anonymousreply 43March 8, 2012 2:02 AM

I honestly, honestly think most Samsung products are engineered to fail. My company bought a bunch of Samsung LCD monitors four years ago in different batches. Guess what, they have been dying in batches right after the warranty runs out. Now, most of them died. On the other hand HP, View Sonic, Sony purchased around the same time or earlier, are still going strong.

We have adopted a no Samsung policy.

Besides, most Samsung products have this very provincial look. It's like they are designed by peasants for peasants while imitating high class.

by Anonymousreply 44March 8, 2012 2:53 AM

You know, a lot depends on how you use your TV -- city miles or highway miles. I put on city miles.

I used to go through $250 VCRs in a year; friends had the same product for eight years. Same with me for old fashioned stereo equipment.

I haven't yet bought a widecreen TV because (somehow) my 9 year old 27" Sony is still going.

by Anonymousreply 45March 8, 2012 2:55 PM

Bad Korean design and bad Chinese manufacturing.

The only stuff Korean companies make that works, is stuff made with stolen Western engineering - like Samsung stealing Apple innovations.

by Anonymousreply 46March 8, 2012 4:41 PM

I worked at Samsung's HQ in Surrey, England for a while dealing with returns and credit notes.

I have never knowingly bought a samsung product since. The sheer volume of products that had failed just outside of their warranty period was astonishing and led me to believe they have in-built obsolescence.

by Anonymousreply 47March 8, 2012 5:09 PM

Look into the large class action suit for Samsung TVs and the known burn-tout capacitor problem.

My 52' flat screen had all sorts of garbage that started appearing after owning it two years. Paid $150 for an authorized serviceman, who promptly told me that the entire screen was shot - THE most expensive part of the TV, natch, would have cost me around $1000 to replace.

I called Samsung and went through a couple of levels of customer service (from initial answer to a manager) bitching and moaning about how the TV was2 years old, I had already paid almost $3000 for their product, and the screen should NOT be dying. They agreed with me relatively quickly (which leads me to believe I was far from the first person to have this complaint), and replaced the screen free of charge, so I was only out $150.00 for the initial service visit.

So awhile I was happy that they rectified it and didn't cause me too much angst, I still get steamed over having to go through the bother of replacing the main component of what was supposed to be a great TV only 2 years after purchase.

However, my Samsung Blu-Ray player also crapped out and stopped playing standard DVDs approximately 1 week after the warranty expired. I don't use it all that much so never had it fixed or complained, but I would certainly think twice about buying Samsung again.

by Anonymousreply 48March 8, 2012 5:35 PM

Even if its made in korea, so what LOLOL?

Since when has Korea been the benchmark of quality products. LG is the worst brand out there formally known as gold star which sold the types of tvs you get at aldi.

Our office had a brand new dishwasher and its been repaired countless times and the trays often fall off.

I will never buy anything LG or Samsung.

by Anonymousreply 49July 22, 2012 7:19 PM

Whatever you do, DON'T buy an HP computer.

by Anonymousreply 50July 22, 2012 7:26 PM

Samsung makes bad products.

They are known to engineer electronics to break at around the 2 year mark.

by Anonymousreply 51July 22, 2012 7:53 PM

The only thing I own made by Samsung is a little 5K BTU room air conditioner. It's four years old. No problems.

Each fall I remove it from my bedroom window, remove the outer case, gently clean it out the AC's "guts" with my garden hose, and store it in my basement.

I put it back in the window the following summer.

by Anonymousreply 52July 22, 2012 8:11 PM

I have an Electrohome air conditioner and TV which I inherited. Both made in 1979. Both still working. I tossed the TV because it does not work on the digital signal. I still have and use the air conditioner.

Just to remind people that things actually did used to last.

by Anonymousreply 53July 22, 2012 8:18 PM

You wanna talk about shitty products? Try RCA. How that company is even still in business is beyond me. Nothing but SHIT.

by Anonymousreply 54July 22, 2012 8:27 PM

I'm typing this as the cable guy is installing my new Samsung LED TV. No kidding. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 55July 22, 2012 8:49 PM

LOL r50!

That's why I bought Asus.

ROFL r55. Sorry.

I have a 5-6 year old Samsung tv that is running most of the time in the background. While it hasn't broken down yet, I always hated the screen. Everybody looks like midgets on it and 30 pounds fatter (which is actually a nice thing, lol) but it also has these "stains" in a few places on the inside. I don't know if it's dead pixels or what.

Next time no more Samsung.

by Anonymousreply 56July 22, 2012 11:37 PM

Just you, OP. Samsung hates fags.

by Anonymousreply 57July 22, 2012 11:41 PM

I've had good luck with televisions from LG and Vizio. Bought my Mom a Toshiba television for Mother's day a few years back and that one seems to work well too. I also like Toshiba laptops - I am pretty rough on laptops and am on my third Toshiba now.

by Anonymousreply 58July 23, 2012 12:01 AM

I've got a 20 year old Sanyo color tv that is still going strong.

by Anonymousreply 59July 23, 2012 12:50 AM

I miss 80s Japanese products.

by Anonymousreply 60July 23, 2012 12:55 AM

Are the Samsung Galaxy phones bad, too?

by Anonymousreply 61July 23, 2012 1:00 AM

I've known three people with samsung tvs that crapped out in a few years. That is enough evidence for me

by Anonymousreply 62July 23, 2012 1:54 AM

What I don't understand is why Samsung thinks that people who bought their TVs and had them die after two years, will immediately go out and buy another Samsung, instead of being so pissed off at the waste of money and try something else.

IDIOTS.

by Anonymousreply 63July 23, 2012 1:58 AM

Are those cheap Vizio tvs any good?

by Anonymousreply 64July 23, 2012 4:31 AM

So what's the consensus? Which companies provide the best products? LG and Sony?

by Anonymousreply 65July 23, 2012 4:46 AM

I have an LG flatscreen, a monitor, dvd/vhs player/burner and a blu-ray player burner. They all work fine and I've had no problems in the 7 years since I've had the oldest product other than their software not being Mac compatible but this isn't rare.

by Anonymousreply 66July 23, 2012 4:52 AM

R61 Loving my Samsung Galaxy Ace mobile!

by Anonymousreply 67July 23, 2012 5:02 AM

Samsung was built on stolen technology and made in China quality, so yeah, their stuff breaks.

by Anonymousreply 68July 23, 2012 9:11 PM

I had a Samsung A900 phone I got in early 2006 that still works. When I got a smartphone, I gave it to a friend who is still using it years later. It has a metal casing and is very durable. For people who only want a phone for making calls, the current offerings are scant and cheaply-made plastic models.

But for anything else Samsung, I can't say. Sounds like their quality has deteriorated over the years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 23, 2012 11:53 PM

For almost two months my Samsung Player BD-D6700 Blu Ray player has stopped working since Samsung did an update through the internet. I believe I'm not alone.

Netflix streaming or any streaming and Blu Ray disks will not play. I have telephoned them many times unsuccessfully to have them fix the problem.

The easiest solution would be for them to rollback the update but for some reason, they either can't or don't know how.

by Anonymousreply 70September 3, 2012 1:27 PM

Samsung is western technology, stolen by Koreans and badly made in China.

by Anonymousreply 71September 3, 2012 1:43 PM

Just about a day after going out of warranty, my Samsung TV started having problems. Never again.

by Anonymousreply 72September 3, 2012 2:46 PM

Samsung actually engineers its products to break just outside of warranty.

by Anonymousreply 73September 6, 2012 1:25 PM

I have both tv and bd player.And both have had problems First the bd stopped playing blue rays and was fully updated by Samsung.Still does'nt play Blue rays.Then the Tv decided it would break down. Power problem.bought a replaceable power unit on the cheap and now works.Have contacted Samsung on many occasions and my conclusion his they do not give a damn.I warn all my friends.colleagues.family not to touch them with a barge pole.And simply go elsewhere

by Anonymousreply 74September 6, 2012 3:11 PM

The last Samsung product I bought was a VCR in the 1990s.I bought it because my current VCR didn't have stereo sound. It broke within 18 months and I went back to my 7 year old non stereo Panasonic VCR.

Never have I bought Samsung since.

by Anonymousreply 75September 6, 2012 6:32 PM

I have a Samsung NC10 netbook that I bought in 2009 and it's still going strong. I don't download a lot of stuff thought. My Samsung SyncMaster 2033 monitor that I bought for $100 at Best Buy in 2010 is also just fine. Guess I got lucky.

Glad I bought a Sony Bravia 40" HDTV in 2007 though. It's as perfect as the day I bought it.

by Anonymousreply 76September 6, 2012 8:36 PM

My Samsung Galaxy Ace is a complete dud. I took first one back after a few days and got given a new phone. Exactly the same; keeps going off for no reason and you have to take the battery out to get it to come on again. Goes completely haywire all the time in ways to numerous to mention here. I have a Samsung tv which works fine. They are happy to sell some cheap dud products though so they can screw money out of people I guess. I will never buy a Samsung product again after my experience with the phone. My Korean flatmate said it tallied with her experience of the company's products

by Anonymousreply 77November 2, 2012 10:03 PM

Depends on what Samsung products you have. I have a Samsung CLP-315W which I love, and a Samsung SCH-R910 cell phone running Android.

Both have been super reliable and indestructible. And both were made in Korea.

Now as to televisions - I have an Element ELCHW402 - power supply died but I ordered a new one for under $100 and TV is now fixed.

In fact on TV's and Blu-Ray players the biggest failure mode is power supply.

It is because the components are mostly sourced out of China and cheap Chinese capacitors in power supplies cause massive problems.

If you're handy with electronics just take out every Chinese electrolytic capacitor and replace them with quality caps and you're good to go.

by Anonymousreply 78November 2, 2012 10:14 PM

As to the phones - I'll give everyone a nice little hint. It may not be the hardware per se, but the software.

Even if it does say it's Android, the carriers modify the fuck out of the software often times crippling it. In addition - different manufacturers ALSO put their mark on the OS too.

by Anonymousreply 79November 2, 2012 10:16 PM

Exactly, Lucifer. I had a Samsung Omnia i920 that was just beautiful, and it was Korean-made. I could deal with Windows Mobile, but Samsung and Verizon completely savaged it with their bloat and garbage. I may as well have been tapping on a deck of cards. I finally swapped it for a Motorola Droid that has been a joy to use.

I like Samsung, mostly. Currently I own a a 22" flatscreen, and a monstrously heavy 27" hi-def CRT. I just sold my 5 yr. old 20" Sammy monitor to go widescreen (with ASUS, not Samsung). I had a Samsung Bluray player that was OK but I ended up swapping it for a WD TV Live, and a Philips upscaling DVD player I found on eBay for a song.

I've owned a lot of electronics in my life, and even in the 70s & 80s, Sony products gave the most trouble. Pioneer was a close second. The national origin of the manufacturer means nothing anymore. Unless it's state-of-the-art unaffordable tech, it's all made in China.

by Anonymousreply 80November 2, 2012 11:13 PM

You should definitely call about the problem, even if your TV is out of warranty. I've had mine for about five years. Shortly after the warranty expired, my screen turned all blue - you could see images clearly, but they were different shades of blue. I called, and they told me that if I registered, they would service the TV. I did, and the repairman basically replaced the entire TV except for the frame.

A few years later, the TV just stopped turning on. After a few Internet searches, I discovered Samsung had used cheap capacitors on many TVs. I called, and they sent a repairman with the caveat that if it was not the capacitors, I'd have to pay for the repair visit.

Obviously, they know their TVs suck. And obviously, despite their service, I would never replace my TV with another Samsung.

by Anonymousreply 81November 2, 2012 11:23 PM

You, OP, are the shittiest Samsung product ever.

by Anonymousreply 82November 2, 2012 11:25 PM

I'm R52.

As a matter of fact today I removed my small Samsung 5K BTU AC from my bedroom window and hosed it out.

Pretty filthy condensation pan; dusty evap coils on the inside.

After I finished, I wiped the case down with WD-40 and put the AC back inside the box it came in. Box is now stored in my basement, ready for Spring.

$77 on sale at Lowe's post-season six years ago.

It's been a champ.

by Anonymousreply 83November 2, 2012 11:34 PM

And for those of you with broken Samsung TV's and monitors - here's a video to show you how to fix them. It's pretty easy to do if you have soldering skills and the gumption to tear apart your TV.

I approach electronics with this in mind, they were assembled somehow which means they can be dis-assembled too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 3, 2012 4:26 PM

My 20 month old Toshiba laptop abruptly died a short while ago. And I thought I had found a reliable brand, since it was my third.

I have a Samsung Galaxy SIII that has been terrific, but, of course, it's quite new.

I think it's just that all of these complex electronics remain too unreliable.

by Anonymousreply 85November 3, 2012 4:45 PM

I've never had an issue with Samsung products.

by Anonymousreply 86November 3, 2012 4:51 PM

Thank you for the video on fixing Samsung TVs, but ideally I would like to buy a brand of products which do not need fixing in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 87November 3, 2012 9:54 PM

I have five (count 'em) Samsung TVs and two DVD players, ranging between 2 and 8-9 years old and have never had the least problem.

by Anonymousreply 88November 3, 2012 11:33 PM

Anytime you have to ask is it me, well let me save you some time, it IS you.

by Anonymousreply 89November 4, 2012 8:08 AM

I hope this doesn't jinx me but my Samsung products are all working great. And my TVis on pretty much 24:7 mostly for the dog when I'm out.

I dumped the blue ray and just use streaming or Apple TV.

by Anonymousreply 90November 4, 2012 12:11 PM

Samsung CS is a fucking nightmare- you would rather slit your wrists than deal with them, trust me!!! I have only had 3 samsung products. one of the first cell phone cams.. it was ok, no major problems. a monitor- not mine- my x's, they were good... and now a piece of junk printer. the problems I have had with dealing with samsung to return it for repair are unbelievable. I have just emailed the president- lets see if I get a response. These people are either completely inept or a bunch of crooks or both. They give you the run around over and over... and most of them don't speak english well enough to understand them.

One of the american reps was HORRIBLE. A supervisor who said he would email me a return receipt never did... he started arguing with me right away and was pissed off at me I suppose. The american rep named Byron could have resolved it all, but instead chose NOT to and to tell me that I would have to do a firmware update which would have been useless.. this was after someone before him told me I would be sent a label to return it... Believe me this junky printer was not worth this aggravation- I will NEVER buy a Samsung product again. NEVER EVER!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 91December 28, 2012 6:10 PM

I hope not OP as I just bought a Samsung bluray player on Boxing Day.

by Anonymousreply 92December 28, 2012 6:26 PM

[quote]Even if it does say it's Android, the carriers modify the fuck out of the software often times crippling it. In addition - different manufacturers ALSO put their mark on the OS too.

I have a T-Mobile S3, but I'm not big on TouchWiz (Samsung's Android "skin") or T-Mobile's crapware. I'm rooted and running CyanogenMod, an OS based on stock Android (AOSP) -- it rocks.

by Anonymousreply 93December 28, 2012 6:41 PM

I agree anything made in china has to be crap we have a zenithink pad made in china total waste of money .I-Pad old iPad 1 brilliant Samsung galaxy s4 you can't get rid of preloaded apps the memory is not what is claimed and this has been proven IPhone does what it says on thee box unless you are one of these people that jailbreak them then blame Apple for making a crap product and land up selling it on ebay

by Anonymousreply 94June 2, 2013 2:30 PM

I've bought a Samsung TV, Blu-Ray, phones, etc. for years never had a problem with any of them. All of them are excellent.

by Anonymousreply 95June 2, 2013 2:35 PM

I love Samsung products, electronics and appliances.

by Anonymousreply 96June 2, 2013 3:36 PM

I'm not very satisfied with my new Samsung over-the-range microwave.

The microwave part works fine, but the vent hood feature is pretty anemic.

Noisy and is less effective at removing kitchen odors than the GE microwave it replaced.

by Anonymousreply 97June 2, 2013 3:45 PM

Apple is the only brand worth buying.

by Anonymousreply 98June 2, 2013 6:38 PM

Samsung is known to engineer its products to break just outside of warranty.

Don't say you were not warned.

by Anonymousreply 99June 2, 2013 8:28 PM

Just spent over an hour on the phone with Samsung trying to get a repairman for my induction range. I have 8 Samsung TV's and numerous Samsung electronics in my home. Apparently my warranty on the stove is expired - so no they won't help. In 2011 they had a recall on their televisions with bad capacitors, I have 3 such TV's but had no knowledge of this and until they died recently, was not aware of it. Not only will they not repair the stove, but I was told to stick it with the TV's as well. My advice: Run, don't walk, from Samsung. They will not stand by their customers and could give a rats ass if you buy their products.

by Anonymousreply 100September 2, 2014 5:23 PM

Was looking for an above range microwave. The cheapest at Lowes were The Samsung's. Online every review was horrible, don't buy, so I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 101September 2, 2014 5:33 PM

My samsung phone is great.

by Anonymousreply 102September 2, 2014 5:37 PM

[quote] My samsung phone is great.

Of course, since its concept was stolen from Apple. Samsung has a long history of intellectual property infringement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103September 2, 2014 6:06 PM

BluRay? Ha ha ha...Who uses BluRay? Does it go well with your Zune? Do you type up your letters on WordPerfect? Ha ha ha.

by Anonymousreply 104September 2, 2014 6:25 PM

I have a Samsung color laser printer, Galaxy Note 2 cell phone, Galaxy Camera, and French-door/bottom freezer refrigerator. All of these are fine and seem to work well. The only Samsung product I've had a problem with is the 7" Galaxy Tab -- it's VERY slow, for some reason. My ASUS 10" tablet is much faster.

by Anonymousreply 105September 2, 2014 7:22 PM

R103, Samsung has sued Apple for copyright infringement and won. It's Apple now in trouble for their icloud being hacked. Can't take the battery out of the apple phone, just so many things.

by Anonymousreply 106September 2, 2014 7:29 PM

[quote]Of course, since its concept was stolen from Apple. Samsung has a long history of intellectual property infringemen

Which concept was that? The bigger screen? The bigger battery life? The ability to swap out the battery? The ability to access files by plugging it into any computer and not have to connect to iTunes? The ability to customize its appearance and how it works to the way you want it to rather than how they want to make you?

by Anonymousreply 107September 2, 2014 8:37 PM

Samsung Galaxy phones are the easiest smart phones to hack into. Blackberry is the toughest, followed by iPhone.

by Anonymousreply 108September 2, 2014 8:46 PM

My Samsung TV is one year old and still fantastic. Guess they've improved since this thread started in 2010.

by Anonymousreply 109September 2, 2014 8:47 PM

I have two samsung lcd tv's. one almost six years old, one four years old. never had any problems and much better color than other peoples tv's i see. you have to figure out the calibration though and that can be annoying. also, you need to be aware that samsung outsources a lot of it's panels to other manufacturers. you arent always getting a samsung panel. and some makers have worse panels than others. look up "samsung panel lottery" and you can see how to check what panel version you are getting.

by Anonymousreply 110September 2, 2014 8:54 PM

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 cell phone last year. It worked fine, and then, without warning, it totally died. I took it back to T-Mobile and it turned out the 1-year warranty had expired just two days before! Luckily they still let me exchange it without paying for a new one. I've been a T-Mobile customer for over 10 years so maybe that has something to do with it.

The other Samsung product I own is my 51-inch plasma TV, which I bought several months ago. It's a fantastic TV -- the color and detail are beautiful -- and so far I haven't had any problems with it. Though after reading this thread, I worry.

by Anonymousreply 111September 2, 2014 10:46 PM

Why was this thread bumped after four years from when it was created and posted?

by Anonymousreply 112September 2, 2014 11:00 PM

No, it is not you. Everything I have ever purchase from Samsung (what I like to refer to as Samjunk) has been a piece of shit. I purposely avoid Samsung products. My Galaxy bricked after a little over a year...my LCD TV got a purple streak in it shortly after the warranty ran out...my sister's washing machine didn't work properly from day one...my neighbor's washing machine died shortly after its warranty period. Dealing with Samsung is a nightmare. They are rude and basically don't give a shit about your product. Well Samsung, I don't give a shit about your company and will spread the word as much as I can about my experiences with the junk you sell.

by Anonymousreply 113September 25, 2014 7:12 PM

I had a Note 10.1 that died after 5 months and Samsung refused to repair it.

Where Samsung is concerned it's definitely a case of buyer beware.

by Anonymousreply 114December 29, 2014 12:34 PM

I bought an early, fairly cheap Samsung smart phone a few years ago. I dropped it about 30 cm onto my soft wallet. That was it. Dead. All my Nokia phones survived much harsher treatment including being dropped on bathroom floors, and more than once.

So I gave Samsung another go and bought a tablet a couple of months ago. I had to reboot it almost every day and then it gave up the ghost and won't turn on. I've had PCs, I now have an iMac and Mac powerbook, and I have a Nokia Windows phone. They have all been much more reliable and sturdy in construction than either Samsung product and

Samsung has seen the last dollar I'll ever spend on them. Having said that, I know many people that are thrilled with their products. That was the reason I tried with the tablet. Perhaps I'm unlucky in my purchases, but twice bitten, forever shy.

by Anonymousreply 115March 1, 2015 5:07 PM

hell yes i have a samsung blu ray and the tray keeps opening on its own in the middle of a netflix movie or pandora for no reason I called samsung and they tell me ways I can fix it but the problem is that I bought a product to last 20 years but they have to make things update nowdays and that programs glitches in these shitty ass products that all these nerds design. Im getting older and I dont want to have to fuck with a product to update it, I want it to work period. If any of you fuckers who design products have a brain you need to go simple and fuck you if you dont! Down with the system I dont need a product to think for me. I have a brain and am not a video game playing drooling goofball who cant get a girl. I work and dont have time for fixing crap that nerds can do at samsung.

by Anonymousreply 116May 10, 2015 10:37 PM

[quote]the problem is that I bought a product to last 20 years

Lower your standards.

Like you did for your relationship(s).

by Anonymousreply 117May 10, 2015 10:53 PM

I had a Sony TV that stoppd working on the one year anniversary of the warranty. Sony was complete aholes and refused to do anything. Will NEVER buy anything Sony again.

Okay so I want an upgraded tablet and have been looking at Sony. COnsumer Reports loves their high end ones. I DO NOT want any Applesheep products ever again. Just not worth the price and you have to buy all Applecrap to make anything work.

Samsung tablets yeah or nay and if NAY what OTHER THAN IPAD do you like?

by Anonymousreply 118May 11, 2015 4:44 AM

I've purchased a Samsung top of the line washer and dryer that cost me $1800.00. Plus I've had a Samsung Blu-ray player and a tv from them and all of them failed and Samsung did nothing to upgrade their lower grade products to take care of the breakdown problems. Their product is such crap. I will never buy another Samsung product again. They don't care about the customer. It's all about the money for them and who cares if our product is inadequate. STAY AWAY FROM SAMSUNG!!!

by Anonymousreply 119May 24, 2015 12:48 AM

[quote]Samsung tablets yeah or nay and if NAY what OTHER THAN IPAD do you like?

Microsoft Surface.

Surface Pro if you can afford it.

by Anonymousreply 120May 24, 2015 12:51 AM

I thought Samsung products were top of the line. Isn’t the Galaxy series of phones, tablets, laptops, watches, and ear pods highly rated?

by Anonymousreply 121July 4, 2021 10:10 PM

Samsung started a cheap shit and then tried to improve their reputation with better products. It’s now back to being cheap.

I still love Sony products

by Anonymousreply 122July 4, 2021 10:14 PM

Yes, Samsung makes shitty products which will croak right after the warranty expires. There horror stories left and right on the internet about shitty Samsung products.

by Anonymousreply 123July 4, 2021 10:40 PM

I'm accessing this on a Samsung laptop. I don't like it. But I separated the screen from the keyboard of my Dell laptop a few months ago (retrieved the HD), so this is all I've got right now. They all go Saath eventually.

by Anonymousreply 124July 5, 2021 12:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!