Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

If Sharon Tate had lived

would she have beat me for an Oscar too?

by Anonymousreply 75November 21, 2018 5:49 AM

Charlie Manson could beat you for an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1May 20, 2010 5:38 AM

I believe if Sharon Tate had lived, she would have become a better actress. I really do.

by Anonymousreply 2May 20, 2010 12:43 PM

R2, I do, too. The experience of sharing a life with Roman Polanski and his world would have led to such great things for her. (I know, Mary!). Plus, we may well have been spared the hysteria over his dalliances in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 3May 20, 2010 1:02 PM

Not unless she she had survived the attack and clawed her way back. The Academy loves that triumph over personal struggle shit and issues awards willy-nilly for it.

Oh, or if she had portrayed a famous person and gotten the look and the voice just right. Bonus points if any signing is involved. The Academy REALLY laps that up.

by Anonymousreply 4May 20, 2010 1:14 PM

Glenn darling, you really should leave the Oscar discussions to those who know what they are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 5May 20, 2010 1:38 PM

Hell, Pee Wee Herman and Pamela Anderson are better actors.

by Anonymousreply 6May 20, 2010 1:49 PM

since we haven't really seen enough of Miss Tate's work when alive to know what she could or could not have done, there's no way of knowing.

by Anonymousreply 7May 20, 2010 2:11 PM

She was a terrible actress. No depth, no range. Talent does not "rub off" just by being near it, either. She might have gotten better but she was known for being beautiful and nice, not for being a gifted actress. So, I would guess that she would not have gotten any closer to an Oscar than attending the show.

by Anonymousreply 8May 20, 2010 2:35 PM

r7, please. There is ample evidence of her work out there to see where she was "artistically" at the time of her demise. Girl needed a near death experience to gain some depth and..well, you see how THAT turned out.

No matter what gets said, she was pretty much universally known for being nice and beautiful and sweet, qualities that made her an anomaly in Hollywood and makes it especially horrific for the way her short life ended.

For Sharon, the jokes stop short with regard to the Manson invasion. Eternally shocking, sad and terribly frightful. Bless her and all those who suffered at the hands of those crazy, evil people.

Sharon Tate need never have WON an "Oscar" to be in the national zeitgeist/conciousness. Manson pretty much sealed her fate in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 9May 20, 2010 3:47 PM

No she wasn't a classically trained artiste of the highest caliber like myself.

by Anonymousreply 10May 20, 2010 3:52 PM

Who knows? She would have taken some time off to have her baby. Then again, Sharon would have waited years and years to come out and do another film. That's if she had never been murdered by the Manson people.

by Anonymousreply 11May 20, 2010 5:20 PM

I don't recall you ever licking your lips to illustrate depth and craziness, Helen.

by Anonymousreply 12May 21, 2010 3:20 AM

[quote] She was a terrible actress. No depth, no range. Talent does not "rub off" just by being near it, either. She might have gotten better but she was known for being beautiful and nice, not for being a gifted actress.

Don't you hate when that happens?

by Anonymousreply 13May 21, 2010 3:28 AM

If Sandra could beat you, Pia Zadora and Sharon Tate could too, M.

Truth hurts, doesn't it.

by Anonymousreply 14May 21, 2010 4:12 AM

"She was a terrible actress. No depth, no range. "

So?

by Anonymousreply 15May 21, 2010 4:29 AM

If Sharon Tate had lived... Roman Polanski would never have raped that girl.

by Anonymousreply 16May 21, 2010 5:18 AM

Of course he would have! Sharon would have been much too old for him by then.

by Anonymousreply 17May 21, 2010 5:31 AM

If Sharon Tate were alive today, right now she would be clawing frantically at the inside of her coffin.

by Anonymousreply 18May 21, 2010 5:35 AM

SHaron Tate would have been Hollywood's hottest sex symbols. She has a natral beauty and Raquel Welch could not even measure up to Sharon's standards. WHile Sharon has the natural look in face and body Raquel has to spen $$$$$$$ for plastic surgery and other corrective procedures to make her look like a "sex symbol". In addition Sharon did not appear to be narcisssistic.

by Anonymousreply 19February 24, 2011 9:42 PM

She has less acting talent than Farrah Fawcett

by Anonymousreply 20February 24, 2011 9:52 PM

She was the next Marilyn. Well, she shared that honor with Julie Christie.

by Anonymousreply 21February 24, 2011 9:52 PM

Sharon would be long forgotten if not for the tradegy that befell her and Roman would never have been a good husband or father.

by Anonymousreply 22February 24, 2011 9:57 PM

Those couples makes the best looking sons: tall, gorgeous mothers and homely-cute fathers.

by Anonymousreply 23February 25, 2011 1:06 AM

I honestly believe that Roman Polanski was involved in her murder. He gave a good performance when he cried during the press conference to talk about the murders, though. Also, my guess is that the baby was not his.

by Anonymousreply 24February 25, 2011 1:10 AM

I think Sharon would have put her career on hold and devoted herself to her son. By the late 70s Polanski would have divorced her and given her a nice settlement. She would have reappeared on TV in the late 1980s as a curiosity.

by Anonymousreply 25February 25, 2011 1:12 AM

She was a horrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 26February 25, 2011 1:14 AM

Is 'The Fearless Vampire Killers' any good? I find the cover to be creepy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 25, 2011 1:19 AM

This is so cute!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 25, 2011 2:04 AM

She was probably very naive.

by Anonymousreply 29February 25, 2011 2:07 AM

Sharon Tate was a ham!!!

by Anonymousreply 30February 25, 2011 2:19 AM

"I can't see myself doing Shakespeare... I would LOVE to do light comedy."

It's a shame that when people think of the Bard, they think of heavy revenge drama with dense dialogue. He wrote some of the funniest plays ever. Obviously, Sharon had never heard of Rosalind in As you Like It.

by Anonymousreply 31February 25, 2011 9:13 PM

Next?

by Anonymousreply 32February 25, 2011 9:17 PM

Little did Sharon know that the event of her death would be akin to Macbeth or Hamlet.

by Anonymousreply 33February 25, 2011 9:17 PM

She would have got the part of Abby in Knots Landing instead of Donna Mills

by Anonymousreply 34June 15, 2013 10:28 AM

She was, in fact, a very good actress who could do both comedy and serious roles. I think people can only remember her as beautiful, but she was in fact a gifted actress.

by Anonymousreply 35October 5, 2013 1:26 AM

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 36October 5, 2013 1:34 AM

Agree with r46. Or she could have been one of the original Charlie's Angels. Would have easily bested Farrah as the national poster pin up.

by Anonymousreply 37October 5, 2013 1:44 AM

She was a TERRIBLE actress! I knew the minute I saw her in "The Beverly Hillbillies" that something needed to be done.

by Anonymousreply 38October 5, 2013 1:50 AM

While some of her performances clearly show her lack of experience, I believe she was on her way to becoming quite a good actress. (Sure, she's terrible in VALLEY OF THE DOLLS but then everyone in that film is, with the exception of Hel - sorry, Susan Hayward.) Her 'debut' performance in the gothic horror EYE OF THE DEVIL is mesmerizing: her (allegedly dubbed) voice makes her sound stiff and clumsy, yet she has undeniable presence, beyond her striking beauty.

She was fine, if not particularly memorable, in THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS but her last movies earned her good reviews: she definitely showed a flair for comedy in THE WRECKING CREW (an amusing spoof on James Bond starring Dean Martin) and in her very last film 12+1. Had she lived, she might have become quite a gifted comic actress, in the vein of a modern times Marilyn.

by Anonymousreply 39October 5, 2013 1:53 AM

So freaky to think Tate would be 70 YEARS OLD today - same age as Linda Evans, Stephanie Powers, Holland Taylor, Blythe Danner, Sharon Gless, Judge Judy - you get the idea.

Her child would be .....44

That beautiful face, and body, would long be gone

by Anonymousreply 40October 5, 2013 1:59 AM

by Anonymousreply 41October 5, 2013 2:01 AM

It wouldn't be gone, r40. It would be preserved in plastic and botox, just like the rest of them.

by Anonymousreply 42October 5, 2013 2:02 AM

She'd be the center square for the win.

by Anonymousreply 43October 5, 2013 2:04 AM

She'd be in Paris making nudies! NUDIES!

by Anonymousreply 44October 5, 2013 2:05 AM

G,

I understand from Anjelica that Charlie passed you by because you weren't --- worth killing.

And it's very funny that you, of all people, would tell me that anyone could beat me for an Oscar. Among the six of us who have beat you to date, Linda Hunt did it playing a male dwarf.

I guess you should have walked around on your knees in NOBBS - God knows you've had practice.

Come over some time. I've just opened my third awards room in the cottage. It's starting to look like the trophy wing at Notre Dame around here!

by Anonymousreply 45October 5, 2013 2:08 AM

OP, please die.

by Anonymousreply 46October 5, 2013 2:09 AM

If Sharon had lived, she would have done movies like The Last of Sheila (Raquel's part) or Shampoo or Heaven Can Wait.

by Anonymousreply 47October 5, 2013 3:00 AM

'Tony......TONY....Someone......help'

by Anonymousreply 48October 5, 2013 3:05 AM

Tony, why does Miriam not like ME?

Tony, WHY does Miriam not LIKE me?

Tony, why DOES Miriam not like me?

Tony, why does....oh fuck it. Let's shoot the scene.

by Anonymousreply 49October 5, 2013 3:15 AM

[quote]You can't judge Sharon's talent by Valley of the Dolls. That script and the director were just hopeless, the most talented actress in the world would have sucked in it.

So true. They had to have realized at some point how bad it was. I'm reminded of Dyan Cannon who at the premiere of The Love Machine--an even worse Susann adaptation--was laughing so loudly at her own performance, she had to leave the theatre.

Parkins came off best in Valley. Remember, she was only known for playing the town tramp in Peyton Place on TV. So playing a virgin was definitely a change of pace for her.

But, IMO, only Parkins and Tate came across as human. Hayward and Duke were just ridiculous, due to the script and direction.

by Anonymousreply 50October 5, 2013 3:28 AM

What about me ? I just took a dump in my dressing room wastebasket, and stole my sequined pantsuit to wear at my concerts. Who's the loser now?

by Anonymousreply 51October 5, 2013 4:46 AM

Here are the actresses who beat Meryl

Maggie Smith

Katharine Hepburn

Shirley MacLaine

Geraldine Page

Cher

Jodie Foster

Kathy Bates

Susan Sarandon

Gwyneth Paltrow

Catherine Zeta Jones

Hilary Swank

Helen Mirren

Kate Winslet

Sandra Bullock

by Anonymousreply 52October 5, 2013 5:19 AM

OMG, R40, what you have done is unforgiveable. You have begun the self-destruct sequence for the end of the universe.

by Anonymousreply 53October 5, 2013 6:17 AM

R53 Why ???

by Anonymousreply 54October 5, 2013 6:52 AM

by Anonymousreply 55October 5, 2013 7:37 AM

She'd be dragging her tits along the sidewalk.

by Anonymousreply 56October 5, 2013 11:55 AM

Honestly, I believe that Rosemary LaBianca had a better shot at Oscar gold than Sharon.

by Anonymousreply 57October 5, 2013 12:05 PM

by Anonymousreply 58October 5, 2013 3:33 PM

Very few women hold up as well as , say, Raquel, who's 73. If you've ever seen a pic of Tate's mother ( who, granted was a great crusader for victims rights), you'll see what was Sharon's future, physically. Very large woman, with a double chin. The reality is, Tate could easily have been a great grandmother by now, most likely long divorced from Polansky, and probably long retired from acting too, after marrying a movie, or TV executive. Wasn't she discovered by, and the mistress of, producer Martin Ransohoff ?

by Anonymousreply 59October 5, 2013 8:45 PM

She was a horrible actress. Had she lived, she would've been as relevant as Kate Capshaw and Rita Wilson.

by Anonymousreply 60October 5, 2013 8:48 PM

She had a mannequin quality about her- beautiful but stiff and fragile. A wispy demeanor and a weak voice.

She probably would have done a few more big screen movies. Then some TV work between babies and marriages. But I put her in the category of Alana Stewart and Peggy Lipton: Hollywood Wives.

If she only knew how famous she was going to be..

by Anonymousreply 61October 7, 2013 9:52 PM

R58 Cannon's role was loosely based on socialite Babe Paley, so Dyan was out of her element a bit.

I'm convinced The Love Machine was the causes of the Susann-Truman Capote feud. Capote was very close to Babe Paley (until their famous falling- out) and he must have deeply resented Susann portraying Babe as an adultereress.

by Anonymousreply 62October 7, 2013 10:32 PM

I love Dyan Cannon in " The Last Of Sheila". Nothing like Sue Mengers (who she was based on), but did that role well, and looked great.

by Anonymousreply 63October 8, 2013 3:25 AM

A beauty but horrible as an actor thrust to VOTD by her perv husband, no talent, watch her performance in it , tinny, thin, the only quality is her constantly shedding her pajamas by the pool to expose her body, yes a true vixen , who knows maybe with time and direction she could of maybe became somewhat of an actress , many after her have achieved that, oh well rip st.

by Anonymousreply 64December 2, 2014 4:25 AM

Sharon Tate would have been a gigantic movie star in the 1970s, with a career rivaling Jane Fonda's and Faye Dunaway's. She was a breathtaking women, she oozed star power and was a marvelous actress. Her scenes in "Valley of the Dolls" are so touching. Additionally, she had the gift of comedy when she spoke of her bust exercises in Valley of the Dolls. "To hell with them, let 'em droop!" I think, had that lovely lady lived, she would have been one of the finest actresses to grace the screen in the 1970s and 1980s. It's so sad.

by Anonymousreply 65December 2, 2014 4:42 AM

She might have been Ali McGraw.

by Anonymousreply 66December 2, 2014 4:50 AM

It happened to Ann "Kitten With A Whip" Margaret. Two Oscar noms, Carnal Knowledge and Tommy.

by Anonymousreply 67December 2, 2014 4:53 AM

She would be old, ugly, fat and broke.

by Anonymousreply 68January 27, 2015 12:14 PM

I've often wondered, if they'd have lived, would Jay Sebring still be her stylist?

by Anonymousreply 69January 27, 2015 12:38 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 70November 20, 2018 6:35 AM

If Sharon had lived then perhaps by now the Tate-Karen Carpenter sex tape might have leaked.

by Anonymousreply 71November 20, 2018 6:53 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 72November 21, 2018 12:35 AM

She was the standout in Valley of the Dolls. The only one who came close to a nuanced performance.

by Anonymousreply 73November 21, 2018 2:00 AM

R73 agreed. Perhaps she would have gone the Ann Margret route.

by Anonymousreply 74November 21, 2018 2:07 AM

She might have been good in Tess

by Anonymousreply 75November 21, 2018 5:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!