Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Julie London

Sings the Marlboro song...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 28, 2020 8:25 AM

She was very popular when I was a small child, but I never noticed what a real beauty she was. She looks a bit like Suzy Parker.

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2010 3:47 AM

Thanks for that link. I remember some of those ads, particularly the Lark ad set to the William Tell Overture.

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2010 3:54 AM

She was tall & statuesque too -- stunning woman. Hard to believe she was married to Jack Webb.

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2010 4:12 AM

Nurse Dixie!

And she strongly resembles Joan Collins in the link.

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2010 10:54 AM

And I beat the shit out of her!

I also raped Mamie van Doren.

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2010 11:23 AM

In a happy coincidence, she wound up married to her 'Emergency!' costar, though.

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2010 11:30 AM

She was married to "Dragnet" star, Jack Webb.

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2010 11:42 AM

Wasn't one of her husbands Jack Webb?

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2010 11:53 AM

Lovely Julie nearly came to blows with Dorothy Kilgallen when she was a Mystery Guest on What's My Line?

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2010 12:59 PM

She ended up married to actor/jazz musician Bobby Troup. They were together until he died.

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2010 1:10 PM

MARY! Did you see the "Come Fuck Me!" looks she was giving??

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2010 1:23 PM

I'm the biggest Julie London fan. I love her stint as Dixie on Emergency! Back then the poor network didn't know what to do. You had this middle aged woman in a tight nurses uniform become the fantasy of men 16 to 60. Took them by surprise. She may have been the first cougar. Nowadays they would market the hell out of her.

Though she had a very respectable career I suspect if she were a little more ambitious or cutthroat she would have had a more substantial career...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2010 1:41 PM

Those Marlboros finally killed her, but goddamn did she make smoking look hot!

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2010 5:03 PM

Forgot to add that commercials like this one were the reason cigarette ads were banned; they made smoking look glamorous and appealing, and were extremely persuasive.

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2010 5:04 PM

I do believe she had the best album cover ever

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2010 5:36 PM

Smoking is horrible, of course, but it is amazing how much could be said with a cigarette, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2010 5:45 PM

r15 that artwork is actually from her album LATIN IN A SATIN MOOD.

I know Julie was on Liberty, not Capitol, but why doesn't she get the love that some of the other great girl singers get?

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2010 5:48 PM

I have a couple of her records, she had a sexy voice and nice arrangements of some classic songs.

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2010 5:52 PM

Did anyone else's parents have the sexy "Julie is Her Name" LP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2010 6:02 PM

Quite a while ago, at least ten years, in an interview Barbara Streisand was going on and on for some length about how much she loved Julie London. I don't know what brought the topic up as I came in to the interview after it was halfway over. Barbara actually said she was jealous that she would never ever be able to do sultry like Julie London.

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2010 6:11 PM

My name is Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 21May 19, 2010 11:30 AM

Interesting trivia about Julie:

She enjoyed writing occasional poetry (So, was she a lesbian/ bisexual woman in the closet?)

She fell in love with drama while attending high school.

Her favorite song was "Go Slow".

She was known to be a very private person.

She was not a dancer.

Her favorite movie was The Great Man (1956).

Along with Veronica Lake, Rita Hayworth, and Lauren Bacall she was one of four key inspirations that helped compose the character Jessica Rabbit.

One of her quotes: I'm the world's worst. I dislike women in large groups, and as individuals. (Did a woman break her heart and she made such a homophobic statement?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 19, 2015 1:08 PM

She was terribly attracted to me. She once said 'We're opposite types. Marilyn was the sex symbol... I'm strictly the housewife-mother type.' If you ask me, she secretly craved to finger me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 19, 2015 1:22 PM

Then one day she just gave up singing.....There's been a huge resurgence of interest in Julie. It's weird though how forgotten she became for a while when she was so wildly popular.

To understand how sexy she was you have to see her strut her goods live. A full-grown, voluptuous woman. Not trying to look 17.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 19, 2015 1:53 PM

Another live Julie. I wish I lived in a time when I could go see a performance like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 19, 2015 1:56 PM

Julie in Girl Can't Help It.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 19, 2015 2:02 PM

Is that the only song when a writer has been able to work "plebeian" in?

by Anonymousreply 27February 19, 2015 2:06 PM

[quote]Interesting trivia about Julie:...She was not a dancer.

Does that qualify as interesting trivia about anyone apart from someone known as a dancer?

by Anonymousreply 28February 19, 2015 2:14 PM

R28, usually singers with a nice body like Julie's also dance, not only sing, that's why i found it interesting and wrote it, you cheeky!

by Anonymousreply 29February 19, 2015 5:12 PM

[quote] usually singers with a nice body like Julie's also dance, not only sing,

I don't think that's true. Plenty of the "girl singers" of the day had nice bodies and didn't dance.

by Anonymousreply 30February 19, 2015 5:24 PM

I remember one of her albums was titled "Nice Girls Don't Stay for Breakfast," which was rather racy for the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 19, 2015 6:00 PM

It ends with the line, "please pass the jam."

by Anonymousreply 32February 19, 2015 6:04 PM

Yes, but many did dance, that's why i found it interesting. Jesus, move on! From all this interesting trivia you stuck on this!

by Anonymousreply 33February 19, 2015 6:09 PM

None of the trivia was particularly interesting. That one bit was conspicuously uninteresting.

To those who know nothing, everything is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 34February 19, 2015 6:12 PM

R34, fuck you bitch and have a nice day...

by Anonymousreply 35February 19, 2015 6:13 PM

I disagree with R34 (he must be an oldie and he thinks that he knows everything about the past.) I liked that someone brought this thread to life again and i always love trivia. I think that Julie was hot, too, but she was not Marilyn.

by Anonymousreply 36February 19, 2015 6:21 PM

"I'm sure any vocal teacher that listens to me would rather cut my throat than do anything - I do everything all wrong - but I think for me that's the best - because I don't think I have a voice so I think what I project would be style - if I learned to sing I'd lose my style."

by Anonymousreply 37February 19, 2015 6:26 PM

It's an interesting comment. She was very self aware. Notice how in live clips of her, you can see that see sings from her throat. It's not as obvious in recordings because she wasn't a "full voice" singer.

by Anonymousreply 38February 19, 2015 6:31 PM

Loved Julie London from the time I saw her on the Ed Sullivan show. Have several of her albums, but my favorite is 'Round Midnight." She was not just a singer but an actress in several movies and television shows. At the same time she was raising a bunch of kids.

by Anonymousreply 39February 21, 2015 5:05 AM

My dad had the "Julie is My Name" record album, and as a young gayling I thought Julie London was the most beautiful, most glamorous woman I'd ever seen. That is, until my older sister brought home the "Grease" soundtrack and ONJ supplanted her thereafter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 21, 2015 5:57 AM

^^ "Julie is HER Name"

by Anonymousreply 41February 21, 2015 6:03 AM

Here she massacres the Ohio Express

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 18, 2019 6:48 AM

I love her albums. Love those smoky vocals and arrangements. Perfect late night music with a glass of wine.

Her album covers are stunning.

by Anonymousreply 43July 18, 2019 7:08 AM

I was just reminded of her after hearing "I Want You for Christmas" on the radio. I find her voice impossibly beautiful—so smooth, understated, and effortless. Her first several albums are gorgeous. I especially like "Your Number, Please", the album she did with Andre Previn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 27, 2020 6:15 AM

Pardon—"I'd Like You for Christmas", not "I Want You for Christmas" (God forbid I get people confused with that ghastly Mariah Carey travesty).

by Anonymousreply 45November 27, 2020 6:16 AM

Really is a shame many only know Julie London as head nurse Dixie McCall from television show "Emergency", the woman was a damn fine singer and performer.

Here's a clip from "Girl Can't Help It" with Julie London singing the hell out of one of her standards "Cry Me A River".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 27, 2020 6:26 AM

This bio was published a couple of years ago. The writing isn't great, but it tells her story, which is often a sad one.

She was an introvert who never really enjoyed the spotlight. She starting smoking when she was 15 and had a terrible stroke 5 years before she died.

I love her voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 27, 2020 6:31 AM

Julie London "The Man I Love" studio outtakes:

"What the fuck key are we in?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 27, 2020 6:33 AM

R47 she apparently smoked roughly three packs of cigarettes a day, which is insane. I am surprised she lived to be 74 with that kind of record.

by Anonymousreply 49November 27, 2020 6:34 AM

R48 omg, the "I sound like Carol Channing... in drag!" comment is too funny. Nice to know she had a sense of humor about herself.

by Anonymousreply 50November 27, 2020 6:36 AM

Weirdly, the older she got, the more she started to look like Katharine Ross

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 28, 2020 5:16 AM

One of the best singers of all time. Nobody could do sultry like she could.

by Anonymousreply 52December 28, 2020 7:51 AM

I wish they would do commercials like this for cannabis.

by Anonymousreply 53December 28, 2020 8:10 AM

I learned my months as a 5 year old from this helpful visual aid...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 28, 2020 8:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!