Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Grace Jones: "Lady Gaga needs ME, I don''t need her"

It seems Grace is getting fed up with all the Lady Gaga comparisons. BTW, girl looks FIERCE in this picture!

---------------------------------------------

The only time she gets irritated by these personal questions is when we get on to Lady Gaga, who wants to perform with Jones. 'It keeps coming. I don't collaborate. You're born alone, you die alone, you get on stage alone. I'm better as a loner. You can collaborate in a film but to collaborate musically is something I don't do very often. I collaborated with Pavarotti because I love him and I could stretch myself and do opera. It's going to add another thing to me. Lady Gaga isn't going to do anything for me; it'll do everything for her. I'm not there to validate anyone; validate yourself.' She is getting worked up now. Am I entering Russell Harty territory? No – she drops into her booming laugh again, puncturing her irritation with self-mockery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 18, 2021 10:16 AM

Love Grace. But it would be quite an event to have Grace and Gaga on the same stage. Not to compare but to celebrate.

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2010 9:41 PM

Perez will have a hissy fit over this.

by Anonymousreply 2May 17, 2010 9:46 PM

Grace is clearly an egomaniac.

by Anonymousreply 3May 17, 2010 9:46 PM

Jones doesn't need Gaga. But if she wanted to be known by anyone under 40, a duet with Gaga would do that for her and sell a shitload of her music on iTunes for her.

by Anonymousreply 4May 17, 2010 9:49 PM

"Jones doesn't need Gaga."

I'd put it the other way around, and I'm an old, old over-the-hill fan of Jones, who thinks she has been pretty tired for a very long time. And I love Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 5May 17, 2010 9:57 PM

Another old timer who likes Lady Gaga and remembers Grace Jones day in the sun.

Ms. Jones clearly has delusions of grandeur. Even at her peak, she never came close to selling the amount of records Lady Gaga has. In fact, I'd say Jones' entire career sales probably can't approach GaGa's sales of The Fame/The Fame Monster.

Pull up to your own bumper, you one hit wonder.

by Anonymousreply 6May 17, 2010 10:40 PM

Grace Jones is an original. And I've loved her since she became known in the 1970s. And no, she doesn't "need" Gaga. But Grace sweetie--and I worked with you in the 1990s--as much as I love you, what's wrong with having some fun? You and Gaga would be great together.

Grace, maybe you don't care about being relevant to the audiences of today...but if you do care, Gaga could be your ticket to 2010 and beyond. Otherwise, if you're going to be kind of bitchy about it, then you're just going to end up as someone who we use to love but don't remember much today.

by Anonymousreply 7May 17, 2010 10:44 PM

she's not perfect. but she's perfect. for you.

by Anonymousreply 8May 17, 2010 10:49 PM

Grace doesn't need to be "relevant" by teaming up with a newbie who still has yet to prove herself as anything more than a novelty act.

One hit album is hardly a cause for celebration.

by Anonymousreply 9May 17, 2010 11:09 PM

R9. I love Grace too. And I'm an older gay who remembers her way back when. But I'm assuming as a performer, Grace she would like to be known to people under 50.

To become relevant today, Grace doesn't have to team-up with Lady Gaga. But she can't keep doing the same thing she was doing in the '70s and '80s. For the most part, younger people simply don't know who Grace Jones is. And that's too bad because Grace is great. So some move toward relevancy wouldn't hurt with or without Lady Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 10May 17, 2010 11:19 PM

Gaga doesn't need Jones. I think she's doing just fine on her own.

by Anonymousreply 11May 17, 2010 11:25 PM

The comparisons between Grace Jones and Lady Gaga are inevitable. There are similarities as well as differences between both of them.

But I don't think the mere mention of a comparison is meant as an insult to either one. If they were to collaborate, it would be quite something. However, perhaps they'd both prefer not to perform together so as to lessen the comparison.

by Anonymousreply 12May 17, 2010 11:37 PM

R8, now you're right on time!

by Anonymousreply 13May 17, 2010 11:47 PM

I wonder what sort of income Grace Jones has?

by Anonymousreply 14May 17, 2010 11:49 PM

[italic]One hit album is hardly a cause for celebration.[/italic]

Two hit albums, and a third on the way, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2010 12:30 AM

I think that Grace Jones is being a bitch about this...

Lady Gaga has always spoken very highly of Grace Jones in interviews.

Grace Jones is gaining a lot of pr over this crap and it will not help her gain a new fan base.

They just have to work together or just have Grace Jones drop this topic.

BTW...

What the hell is wrong with this web site? Really? What the hell?

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2010 12:31 AM

I have only heard one Lady Gaga song. It was some video I watched on You Tube and I was surprised to find out that Gaga was a woman. What's the big deal?

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2010 3:57 AM

Grace Jones is an "old school" performer who still clings on to things like artistic credibility or integrity. What she's basically saying is that a duet with Gaga would cheapen her brand, because it would turn her into a commercial artist which she doesn't want to be.

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2010 4:14 AM

Girls, girls, you're BOTH crazy and fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2010 4:35 AM

R18 makes a good point. It's a generational thing with Grace. She made her mark on her own. She's probably not interested in collaborating with anyone.

If she were alive, it would be like telling Bette Davis that she has to do a movie with Sandra Bullock. She'd probably say, "Why, I don't need to do anything of the sort."

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2010 4:54 AM

Grace Jones still has a career??

She should just suck it up and revive her career with Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2010 5:06 AM

bitch, please.

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2010 5:12 AM

Nobody will know who the fuck Lady Gaga is in 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2010 5:32 AM

R23

That's what they used to say about Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2010 11:46 AM

She should, r21.

by Anonymousreply 25May 18, 2010 12:13 PM

Grace, I love ya! But lighten up so that an entire new generation will know you.

by Anonymousreply 26May 18, 2010 10:42 PM

I think Grace Jones is fine way down in obscurity. She doesn't care about making music anymore. She still has a bunch of fans from the old Studio 54 days.

by Anonymousreply 27May 19, 2010 1:57 PM

Boy did Grace read Gaga! And her fans, they love to make the comparison too, but Grace sees right through all that. Stop using her for validation, take it straight from Ms. Jones!

by Anonymousreply 28July 1, 2013 11:28 PM

[quote] Boy did Grace read Gaga!

Yes, she sure did -- three years ago, when this thread was posted.

by Anonymousreply 29July 1, 2013 11:36 PM

So you're able to read timestamps, congratulations! Grace hated her 3 yrs ago and without any evidence to the contrary, can be assumed to still hate her. Sorry Gagbot.

by Anonymousreply 30July 1, 2013 11:46 PM

R5 has it right. Jones has played her two tricks very well all these years, but versatile, flexible and generous she is not.

One would have thought she could use the money.

by Anonymousreply 31July 2, 2013 12:57 AM

Grace Jones is brilliant.

As for Gaga...meh.

by Anonymousreply 32July 2, 2013 1:08 AM

Of course elder-gays are going to side with the has-been from their youth.

Meanwhile, the one who's on Forbes most powerful list, Lady Gaga, is laughing all the way to the bank.

by Anonymousreply 33July 2, 2013 1:19 AM

So, Grace has a new song on the new Hunger Games film soundtrack which has been curated by Lorde. Anything new from Grace is welcome, even it it sounds like a decent - if somewhat uninspired - b-side from Hurricane. It's on Spotify. Called "Original Beast". Hope that she and Ivor Guest are making progress on her follow up to Hurricane.

by Anonymousreply 34November 19, 2014 10:56 AM

There's no comparison: Grace is original and beautiful and a legend for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 35November 19, 2014 11:29 AM

In light of this, it's funny how Gaga did a total imitation of Grace Jones in her vocal for the verses of "Applause."

It's almost like Jones was a guest vocalist on those lines.

by Anonymousreply 36November 19, 2014 11:37 AM

I'm R34 and I owe you guys an apology. I thought I'd just give everyone a heads up on Grace's new song, searched for "Grace Jones" threads, pulled up several and ended up posting in the wrong thread. Had no interest in bringing up this tired topic. Comparison is the thief of joy.

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2014 1:17 PM

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2014 1:25 PM

Ok r38

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2014 1:35 PM

Grace's last album was a bore. She needs to work with some new producers.

by Anonymousreply 40November 23, 2014 5:56 PM

Turns out, Grace was right.

by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2014 6:12 PM

Rumor has it that Lady Gaga is trying to get a musical show with Grace Jones.

by Anonymousreply 42November 23, 2014 6:19 PM

You have to remember, Grace Jones often gets compared to Lady Gaga, what does she expect? Grace has the same style as Lady Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 43November 23, 2014 6:25 PM

R39, sales mean shit. Lady Gaga has more talent in her pinky thatn Katy Perry has in her entire being.

As for Grace, I've always felt that Gaga has shown more Grace influence than she's ever shown from Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 44November 23, 2014 6:51 PM

R44, Really? I'm not so sure I agree with that.

by Anonymousreply 45November 23, 2014 6:59 PM

[quote]You have to remember, Grace Jones often gets compared to Lady Gaga, what does she expect? Grace has the same style as Lady Gaga.

You make it sound as though Gaga came up with the style and Grace copied it. Grace was the original. Gaga is a pale copy.

by Anonymousreply 46November 23, 2014 7:13 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 23, 2014 7:34 PM

Gaga needs to reinvent herself and kind of STICK to one look.

by Anonymousreply 48November 23, 2014 7:45 PM

Loved Artpop. It was underrated but still debuted at #1 in many countries, sold quite well and she just finished the last show of the tour.

by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2014 7:54 PM

Nobody needs either of them.

by Anonymousreply 50November 23, 2014 8:13 PM

R50 Apparently both Gaga and Madonna needed Grace to copy from.

Gaga's schtick is already old. I'm afraid she's running out of people to imitate.

by Anonymousreply 51November 23, 2014 8:19 PM

You've got a point there, r51.

by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2014 8:21 PM

[quote]You make it sound as though Gaga came up with the style and Grace copied it. Grace was the original. Gaga is a pale copy.

Take a look at the photograph of Grace, you would think that she raided Lady Gaga's wardrobe.

by Anonymousreply 53November 23, 2014 8:28 PM

[quote]Apparently both Gaga and Madonna needed Grace to copy from.

Grace said herself that when Madonna first started to become known that people would tell Grace that they would see Madonna in the audience at her shows.

Madonna copied off countless people and disgustingly tried to pass things off as her own. That's why it's laughable for her to accuse Gaga of copying when she's done it herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 23, 2014 8:28 PM

Lady Gaga in disguise!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 23, 2014 8:34 PM

Cher predated Grace and Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 56November 23, 2014 8:43 PM

by Anonymousreply 57November 23, 2014 9:11 PM

Okay, so who copied who first?

by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2014 11:36 PM

What you people and dozens of other Dataloungers know about Grace Jones isn't good enough.

Somebody had to make a new thread covering ALL of this old info!

by Anonymousreply 59February 18, 2021 6:36 AM

Gaga is more talented than Grace, let's be honest.

by Anonymousreply 60February 18, 2021 6:40 AM

R6 it saddened me to read you only associate and equate talent to record sales. Money. Grace's sales may not amount to a few of Gagas singles. Is this what gay men have come too? Yes, i' m an elder gay now and Grace was my time. At least we were always the forefront of anything new, different, moving forward, outside of the box. The best clubs, best music. Style that set trends mainstream envied and eventually copied, usually badly. You only have to look at the success of Eurovision. Now a bit spoiled by all the straight campery. They just don't get it. My old record collection is full of club hits, Grace Jones etc that was never popular or money making back in the day while straights were buying shite and dancing round handbags to The fucking Birdie Song or its equivalent. Do you think Judy Garland or Dusty Springfield should duet with Rihanna or someone to make them more 'relevant'? Yes, as an elder gay I look at Gaga and am bored because for me, Grace did it first and better. You too will watch the next generation and wonder what are they going on about, seen it, done it. We all do. Watch Graces' videos on YouTube. Despite the huge advance in technology, they're still unique. Watch Grace's live version of la Vie en Rose 30'yrs on from the original. Still a unique take on her own version, in itself a gay classic of a great classic.

by Anonymousreply 61February 18, 2021 9:01 AM

La vie en rose 10'yrs ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 18, 2021 9:07 AM

The original La Vie en Rose. Grace, unique, different, stunningly beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 18, 2021 9:21 AM

These egomaniacs really ruin all the fun. Who cares about who needs who more, geez.

by Anonymousreply 64February 18, 2021 10:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!