Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Drunken driver who snapped photo going 141 mph before deadly collision imprisoned for 17 years

LONDON (AP) — Darryl Anderson was drunk behind the wheel of his Audi SUV, had his accelerator pressed to the floor and was barreling toward a car ahead of him when he snapped a photo of his speedometer. The picture showed a car in the foreground, a collision warning light on his dashboard and a speed of 141 mph (227 kph).

An instant later, he slammed into the car in the photo. The driver, Shalorna Warner, was not seriously injured but her 8-month-old son and her sister were killed instantly, authorities said. Evidence showed Anderson never braked.

Anderson, 38, was sentenced Tuesday to 17 years in prison for the May 31 crash in northern England that killed little Zackary Blades and Karlene Warner. Anderson pleaded guilty last week in Durham Crown Court to two counts of causing death by dangerous driving.

Shalorna Warner told the court that she remembered her Peugeot spinning, seeing her sister gravely injured and, when the car came to a rest, frantically trying to find her son, who had been ejected from the vehicle by the impact. A trucker who had stopped to help found him on the other side of the highway.

“I knew instantly. I had to pick my dead baby up from the side of the road. I hugged him so tight, a hug I will never forget," Warner said. “No words will surmount the irreparable hole that has been left in my heart and in my life."

Anderson lied to police, saying a hitchhiker was driving at the time of the crash.

Prosecutor Emma Dowling said a roadside breath test showed Anderson was nearly three times over the limit driving after drinking. An empty vodka bottle was found in his car.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 10, 2024 2:09 PM

Absolutely terrible story. Really heartbreaking. What an awful man and he only got 17 years in jail, he’ll do around 8.5 and be a free man.

by Anonymousreply 1July 10, 2024 8:03 AM

[quote] What an awful man and he only got 17 years in jail, he’ll do around 8.5 and be a free man.

And the worst part is that these killers always seem to live, don't they?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 10, 2024 8:11 AM

Roads feel more dangerous than ever. I heard recently that auto collisions are becoming more serious and more fatal again, but the mechanism of these fatalities is unclear. Because of the engineering of modern vehicles, their speed and capacity for rapid acceleration, combined with advanced safety mechanisms (knee, shoulder and side impact airbags), the trauma of a high speed collision is now generalized and harder to treat. Essentially your organs are dislodged from the connective tissue that anchors and supports them, like an egg shaken violently until the yolk and albumin mix.

We are really “removed” from the physics of motion in most cars, and also super distracted. The technology is advancing and that’s usually a good thing, yet if that technology makes you overconfident or inattentive, we might see more serious accidents. My elderly parents live in a beautiful country village, but it’s actually dangerous to walk along the roads there because people drive so fast in the morning, with a giant hot coffee and fiddling with cell phones and a huge touch screen (or two) in the center of their car’s console. You hear a siren and lose power a few mornings each month because another driver lost control of their vehicle and hit a telephone pole, or caused others to swerve off into the road’s soft shoulder.

It’s so upsetting when a cautious driver is traumatized by an inattentive one, and often the driver at fault is uninsured or under-insured, so your own coverage might have to pick up the difference. That’s partly why insurance rates are going up, in consideration of the number of uninsured drivers. A pretty rotten situation. I’d hate to be harmed by someone being reckless. This clown photographing his speedometer isa whole order of magnitude more shocking and serious.

by Anonymousreply 3July 10, 2024 1:15 PM

I don't think he should go prison for 17 years. It was an incredibly reckless thing to do but it was unintentional. He didn't rape anyone or commit an acid attack.

by Anonymousreply 4July 10, 2024 1:43 PM

He should spend life in prison. Drunk driving is treated far too leniently.

by Anonymousreply 5July 10, 2024 1:47 PM

He killed two fucking people R4 - all by his own selfish, stupid decisions and actions.

by Anonymousreply 6July 10, 2024 1:50 PM

Although I do not agree with R4, I can't help but suspect that there was something more going on behind the scenes (i.e., a political motive) that led to this conviction. You rarely see child molestors, homeless ppl who have commited a random act of violence, etc. getting this kind of sentence.

With that said, good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 7July 10, 2024 1:56 PM

Bullshit R4. Driving while drunk is an intentional choice. Driving at 141MPH is a choice. Fuck him.

And of COURSE it was an Audi. The official car of sociopaths.

by Anonymousreply 8July 10, 2024 2:02 PM

What do we do about drunk drivers, then?

Many of them are habitual.

This case goes beyond the pale.

by Anonymousreply 9July 10, 2024 2:04 PM

From the description of his behaviour, I'd have thought he expected to die in the crash himself. Clearly he also expected to kill whoever was in the other vehicle, but he probably didn't know anything beyond that it had a driver.

Most suicides choose a stationary object, but a moving one is more likely to kill you, if your empathy is low enough not to care about the collateral damage, or if you're unhinged enough to actively want to take others with you.

by Anonymousreply 10July 10, 2024 2:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!