Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Time Bandits' show on Apple TV

Featuring Lisa Kudrow. Taika Waititi's new project, with Jemaine Clement on the writing team. CG looks good!

[quote]Television adaptation of Terry Gilliam's 1981 film, which centers on a young boy who discovers a time-traveling portal in his bedroom.

Ten episodes, starts July 24th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 25, 2024 6:26 AM

Taika Waititi seems like a douchebag, but I really enjoyed Our Flag Means Death. Maybe this will also be good!

by Anonymousreply 1July 9, 2024 6:15 PM

Oh no the cast isn’t all white males!

Let the woke accusations begin!!! 🤡🤡🤡

by Anonymousreply 2July 9, 2024 6:16 PM

My sentiment exactly, r1. I'll miss Rhys Darby, though.

by Anonymousreply 3July 9, 2024 6:17 PM

Gilliam actually bitched about the dwarves getting replaced with regular actors.

[quote]In an interview for the website The Playlist from June 2023, Terry Giliam criticized the show for its "shortage of dwarves" whereas he took pride that on Time Bandits (1981), short actors who usually were hidden inside costumes or relegated to small parts "were out and they were now action heroes." Gilliam claims that he's "very disconnected" from the production after he lost control of the film's rights when the production company Handmade Films was sold to other companies.

He was cancelled in 2021 when he said he identified as a BLT – black lesbian in transition. So he's very much like one of our anti-woke trolls here on DL, endlessly bitching about inclusion.

by Anonymousreply 4July 9, 2024 6:23 PM

R4, I think that's the term for a group of dwarves. A shortage.

by Anonymousreply 5July 9, 2024 6:40 PM

It looks like a show for children, though.

by Anonymousreply 6July 9, 2024 6:41 PM

Our Flag Means Death also kinda looked like a kiddie show from the trailer, maybe the same will be the case here.

I'm just excited to see some historical places. Babylon at 1:23 in particular looks pretty neat.

by Anonymousreply 7July 9, 2024 6:46 PM

What/who is "CG"?

by Anonymousreply 8July 9, 2024 6:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 9, 2024 6:52 PM

I've liked everything Clement has been involved with.

by Anonymousreply 10July 9, 2024 6:52 PM

I'll watch the original movie, thanks. Lisa Kudrow? Bleh.

by Anonymousreply 11July 9, 2024 6:53 PM

R2 the tard woke emoji troll.

by Anonymousreply 12July 9, 2024 7:06 PM

R2 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 13July 9, 2024 10:37 PM

Defacto at r 12, what are you going to do, sue me for definition of character?

Perhaps you don’t remember the total fucking freakout when Star Wars gamergate douches found out that a stormtrooper would be black? That a heroic star would be female? It’s the same exhausting litany every time. MONGO WANT ONLY WHITE MALES IN MOVIE.

by Anonymousreply 14July 9, 2024 11:31 PM

"He was cancelled in 2021 when he said he identified as a BLT – black lesbian in transition."

I'm sorry but that's pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 15July 10, 2024 3:31 AM

Lisa Kudrow is doing Valerie Cherish in Time Bandits.

by Anonymousreply 16July 10, 2024 3:50 AM

It’s really stupid. Is this what Monty Python was like?

by Anonymousreply 17July 26, 2024 1:00 AM

Will the show be like the movie in showing God as the Creator and God’s triumph over evil?

by Anonymousreply 18July 26, 2024 1:05 AM

Absolutely loved the premiere, it's so well written and so well shot. (How do the hell scenes in this look better than the hell scenes in The Sandman?)

And yes, the humour is definitely Monty Pythonesque. Haven't seen that style of humour on TV in ages, it's very refreshing. Some of the barely audible throwaway lines characters say while they're walking away are hysterical.

r16 She's actually doing a fusion of Valerie Cherish and Phoebe (has she ever been in anything else?) and it's a joy to watch.

by Anonymousreply 19July 26, 2024 4:44 AM

This looks absolutely dreadful

by Anonymousreply 20July 26, 2024 12:19 PM

Trailer do be like that sometimes, yes. But it's actually delightful.

by Anonymousreply 21July 26, 2024 12:29 PM

I really like Lisa Kudrow.

by Anonymousreply 22July 26, 2024 12:46 PM

Yeah, she's alright. Hoping she outlives all the other Friends, she was by far my fave.

by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2024 12:51 PM

[quote]She's actually doing a fusion of Valerie Cherish and Phoebe (has she ever been in anything else?)

Blasphemy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 26, 2024 12:52 PM

r24 Oh my god, I totally forgot! I watched Muriel's Wedding earlier this month for the first time, I think it's time to check this classic out as well.

by Anonymousreply 25July 26, 2024 12:56 PM

Just what does Waititi have against little people anyway?

by Anonymousreply 26July 26, 2024 12:58 PM

With one or two exceptions, they aren't the best actors, let's be real. You can put anything in a book, but things get messy when it's time to translate that onto the screen.

by Anonymousreply 27July 26, 2024 1:00 PM

I am R20, and I need to say that I was totally wrong about this show! I have watched three episodes and found each one to be very entertaining. Lisa Kudrow does a fairly good job. The actor who plays Kevin is really impressive in the role.

by Anonymousreply 28July 31, 2024 10:20 PM

I friggin love this show, Lisa Kudrow's asides are hysterical and it's just good old fun adventure time. It's like Kiwi humour meets Monty Python. Love how the Supreme Being is just Taika Waititi and two other Māori guys as his advisers. It was funny hearing Australian and New Zealand accents in medieval England as well. Speaking of the Supreme Being, two little people are introduced as his agents and they are just so charming. I take back what I said about little people mostly being shit actors.

They cast native Central Americans for the Maya episode, which is a refreshing change, and baby they were HOT. I love how they treat these cultures with respect, but in a way that doesn't detract from the humour. You *can* be funny without punching down, imagine that.

The CG pterodactyl looked so good, it made my mouth water. And I agree with r28, the kid is not annoying in any way, which is an achievement in itself. I think it helps that Lisa Kudrow's character shits on him at every opportunity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 1, 2024 8:04 PM

It's very entertaining and easy. A kids show with lots of fun details and lines for adults.

It's pretty shoddy writing and listless direction. The pacing is atrocious. But it's fun.

by Anonymousreply 30August 25, 2024 6:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!