Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who can replace Biden, realistically?

I know this question has been asked, ad nauseam, but it seems more present than ever after the debate. Who could slide into the nomination and actually win?

by Anonymousreply 188July 19, 2024 2:53 PM

Gee, interesting question, OP. We'll have to think about that and get back to you.

by Anonymousreply 1July 6, 2024 11:37 PM

Harris is the obvious choice. Dump will try to grab her by the pussy and her mighty gash will crush his tiny fingers flat.

by Anonymousreply 2July 6, 2024 11:44 PM

Peter Buttigieg

by Anonymousreply 3July 6, 2024 11:51 PM

Harris / Buttigieg ticket.

by Anonymousreply 4July 6, 2024 11:52 PM

I'm thinking Andy Beshear of KY; yes, I know - KY. But he's an average white guy dem that inexplicably got elected in KY without being in the pocket of turtle or firebombing an abortion clinic. I think he's got the kind of broad appeal but he's also a blank slate, making it harder for Shitler to land punches. Not sure what to do about Harris in a way that doesn't upset women & black voters, but somehow she's got to get behind this.

by Anonymousreply 5July 6, 2024 11:54 PM

Whitmer. And that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 6July 6, 2024 11:54 PM

And here we go again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 6, 2024 11:54 PM

Josh Shapiro

by Anonymousreply 8July 6, 2024 11:55 PM

No one in his cabinet who participated in the cover up of his lack of ability to perform his constitutional duties. They'll never get by those questions.

by Anonymousreply 9July 6, 2024 11:55 PM

Harris because she is the only one that can legally use the 100's of millions raised over the last year. Buttigieg because he's smart, quick on his feet, served his country, progressive and he's not afraid to take on BS media like Fox and put them in their place. You still need a white man on the ticket for the undecideds and he's not a flaming queen.

Que the haters who will now start trashing his husband. - You guys are self hating homophobes who do that, you know that right?

by Anonymousreply 10July 6, 2024 11:56 PM

Eric/Adam Unity Party 24’

by Anonymousreply 11July 6, 2024 11:56 PM

Me.

by Anonymousreply 12July 6, 2024 11:57 PM

Hey Boris, This has been settled. It's going to be Harris. She's the only one that has access to the campaign money.

Stop trying to stir shit up. We can see what you are trying to do. FAIL.

by Anonymousreply 13July 7, 2024 12:01 AM

R11 Hey, Eric and Adam, go ahead and give into your lust and kiss. The people demand it.

by Anonymousreply 14July 7, 2024 12:02 AM

Vice President Harris, who was making the decision while the president was incapacitated?

Why didn't you step up and show leadership and make the tough decision to invoke the 25th amendment? How can people trust you as a leader?

Did you participate in the plan to cover up the president's health?

Would you expect your cabinet to launch a cover up for you if you were in the same situation as the president?

Get the point?

by Anonymousreply 15July 7, 2024 12:03 AM

[quote]Que the haters who will now start trashing his husband.

The wife is poorly dressed, unfortunate looking, and weird. We trash Brigitte Macrom too

by Anonymousreply 16July 7, 2024 12:07 AM

So you want Kamala to invoke the 25, well that wont work since the Republicans shot that down in court with Dump. That shit works both ways.

by Anonymousreply 17July 7, 2024 12:07 AM

It's not about how Pete's husband dresses. The fact that you refer to him as "the wife" is a big tell about your homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 18July 7, 2024 12:08 AM

Pete views Chasity as a wife who insisted that he change his name.

by Anonymousreply 19July 7, 2024 12:12 AM

Your homophobia is showing r19. It's 2024, it's totally normal to take your Husbands name if you want. Lots of gay couples do that.

by Anonymousreply 20July 7, 2024 12:14 AM

Harris is compromised. I don't think she is all that popular with women.

by Anonymousreply 21July 7, 2024 12:21 AM

So is Pete and anyone else who knew of the President's condition. Those questions will be asked, over and over again, of anyone in the cabinet who runs for higher office. They're ruined.

by Anonymousreply 22July 7, 2024 12:25 AM

Harris is not compromised. It's not a popularity contest, it's about our democracy. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 23July 7, 2024 12:25 AM

Gavin Only one that has a fighting chance

by Anonymousreply 24July 7, 2024 12:26 AM

Pete can handle it. Bring it on!

by Anonymousreply 25July 7, 2024 12:26 AM

This is off topic, but whatever.

So what is going to happen if Trump drops over dead from a plain old heart attack (or stroke), in say, late summer or early fall?

All his idiot followers will think it's some kind of murder conspiracy, when it would just simply be all of his hamburgers catching up with him.

by Anonymousreply 26July 7, 2024 12:27 AM

Fingers crosssed R26.

"I don't care about his supporters, do you"?

by Anonymousreply 27July 7, 2024 12:32 AM

They'll act the same way Joe's supporters would.

by Anonymousreply 28July 7, 2024 12:33 AM

All those guys waiting for Dump to pardon them will end their terms in tears.

by Anonymousreply 29July 7, 2024 12:35 AM

Trump is intimidated by pretty successful woman. I’ve said it before. He never goes after Hollywood actresses or women who look mad good. I’ve said it time and time again.

by Anonymousreply 30July 7, 2024 12:41 AM

There is an option someone isn't talking about. Let Biden run and select Barrack Obama as VP. There is nothing in the constitution that disallows it. Also, regarding a former president not allowed to run for a third time would not affect Obama should something happen to Biden. He would replace him through other means than running for office.

by Anonymousreply 31July 7, 2024 12:44 AM

There are only 2 slight problems with your proposal, R31.

1. Obama has no desire to reenter elective politics.

2. Obama's wife is vehemently against him (or her) from entering/reentering elective politics.

by Anonymousreply 32July 7, 2024 12:52 AM

Oh well, I tried.

by Anonymousreply 33July 7, 2024 12:54 AM

[quote]All his idiot followers will think it's some kind of murder conspiracy, when it would just simply be all of his hamburgers catching up with him.

Dump only eats hamberders.

by Anonymousreply 34July 7, 2024 1:21 AM

Dump love KFC too.

Notice he has a whole bucket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 7, 2024 1:48 AM

Pete is small potatoes and he'd have never gotten any attention at all if he'd been straight.

Harris with Newsom as VP.

by Anonymousreply 36July 7, 2024 3:28 AM

Only Obama

by Anonymousreply 37July 7, 2024 3:32 AM

Whitmer wouldn't be able to beat Trump.

I do think a woman from Michigan will become president someday, it will be Elissa Slotkin or Haley "Creepy Dollface" Stevens.

by Anonymousreply 38July 7, 2024 4:14 AM

Governors: Shapiro, Beshear, Whitmer, Pritzker, Newsom, Moore, Cooper.

Other Key Players who could do it: Hakeem, Buttigieg.

The Biden Team should have done much work on this. I “get it”, they are on Team Joe, no one wants to think about a loss, but the contingency plan should have still happened ***for the good of the country***. The entire West Wing didn’t even need to know much about it, beyond “because of Joe’s age, and the fluid and swiftly changing campaign environment, we are always developing a minimum of 5 candidates who have the potential to become President.” What would be so terrible about this strategy? I say nothing. If we are going to run 80 year olds, we *must* be realistic and ready to pivot or move the players at a moments notice. Team Biden thought sticking their head in the sand would get them to November. “La la la la, I can’t hear you!” is not a strategy, that’s called stupidity.

James Carville called this all year long, he kept saying that voters are NOT comfortable with Joe’s age, and that the age problem will not just go away, and James didn’t offer lots of ways to solve it be it isn’t fixable. How do you convince voters to vote for a man who is clearly fading into a cognitive fog? How does one sell voters on this? You can’t. That’s why you haven’t heard them address the age issue — there really isn’t much more Joe can do.

All this to say, I do think that if more donors crater for Joe over the next few weeks, he is fucked, and I do mean fucked, and when Joe is fucked, we all get fucked too.

I am debating on how to handle this. Do I not give any money to DCCC, or individual campaigns, to send a message to Dems? Do I not vote for Biden, but do the rest all blue to send a message to Dems? I want the Dems to know that I didn’t sign-off on this shit show with Biden. And I think Biden has decent legacy (until he loses). The Dems need to hear from the base that we are not taking this fucking bullshit from them anymore.

^^^But please know, when the day to vote comes, if it’s Biden, I will likely decide to vote for him simply as an anti-Trump statement. I want to send clear signals to the Dems that I’m not happy , without actually doing anything to help Trump win. Is it even possible to do what I’m aiming for?

by Anonymousreply 39July 7, 2024 4:45 AM

Buttigieg has zero chance of winning. There are still too many ultra-conservative Christians who are homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 40July 7, 2024 4:47 AM

There was a round table of black and white undecided women on CNN. The black women were super bummed but still chose Biden. Tne white women said the world had to see strength. They wanted the world to fear is. So as much as they did not like Trump - they HAD to pick hm because he is an asslicking strong man. I think that these are the Daimler women that would think that Kamala would be “strong” enough. I think Newsom doing his best Matthew McConnahey impression would get the women who “need a man”

by Anonymousreply 41July 7, 2024 4:51 AM

Ass kicking - I don’t have my glasses on. Although I’m sure that he had done ass licking, too!

by Anonymousreply 42July 7, 2024 4:53 AM

Buttigieg is not running for president, but he would make a good VP. He's even sharper and younger than Kamela is. Running a part of the government with a trillion dollar budget gives him some experience that most governors never have.

Not worried about Ultra-conservative Christians, they are voting for MAGA anyways.

by Anonymousreply 43July 7, 2024 4:55 AM

[quote]I think that these are the Daimler women that would think that Kamala would be “strong” enough.

I believe she has what it takes. However, she usually acts ridiculous and comes across as moronic. Not sure what her problem is and why she’s not translating??

by Anonymousreply 44July 7, 2024 4:56 AM

[quote]Tne white women said the world had to see strength.

I see this a lot. Some women are now convinced a President is all about being a strong man, the age of Chivalry is very much in their mind. If they had to pick from the smartest man in the room with the most experience vs the loudest strongest acting guy with no experience, they will pick the latter. Especially the older Boomer types who grew up fantasizing about their ideal man through Harlequin Romance novels.

Of course they are total hypocrites because when it comes to their own lives, they want all the modern rights and respect of women today but want men to rescue them, take care of them, support them, worship them and fight for them like it's 1170 AD.

by Anonymousreply 45July 7, 2024 5:06 AM

Brendad Ickson

by Anonymousreply 46July 7, 2024 6:04 AM

Anyone who can speak, walk and read a teleprompter.

by Anonymousreply 47July 7, 2024 10:35 AM

What any replacement nominee would have in his or her advantage is that he or should would be running against a highly vulnerable & beatable opponent.

by Anonymousreply 48July 7, 2024 10:49 AM

Gretchen Whitmer's got what it takes.

by Anonymousreply 49July 7, 2024 11:24 AM

A woman wouldn't be able to beat Trump. This country is still too sexist to elect a woman as POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 50July 7, 2024 11:58 AM

[quote]A woman wouldn't be able to beat Trump. This country is still too sexist to elect a woman as POTUS.

Hillary Clinton won the popular vote and if she had been just a shade more “likable” (think Amy Klobuchar) I believe she would have won the electoral college as well.

by Anonymousreply 51July 7, 2024 12:23 PM

Realistically, no one.

Can we just stop this? It isn't happening. This isn't Fantasy Football. Nobody's getting pony.

by Anonymousreply 52July 7, 2024 12:25 PM

Harris is the only possible choice, should things inexplicably go that way.

Over $100M in campaign funds is tied to her. Though the Dems still might be off the ballot in OH, if there is a change, which would leave Sherrod Brown in the wilderness and probably tip the Senate to the MAGA party.

So glad we’re considering all possibilities though! Anything to kill our electoral chances!

by Anonymousreply 53July 7, 2024 12:31 PM

Knowing what I know about our country, I don’t think putting a black, woman, at the top of the ticket is going to be the cure-all some people think it will be. Just guessing.

by Anonymousreply 54July 7, 2024 12:33 PM

R51, Amy Klobuchar scores well on likability? Since when? Isn’t she notorious for terrorizing her staff?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 7, 2024 12:41 PM

[quote] Let Biden run and select Barrack Obama as VP. There is nothing in the constitution that disallows it. Also, regarding a former president not allowed to run for a third time would not affect Obama should something happen to Biden. He would replace him through other means than running for office.

And just who would be deciding whether the constitution allows it, the Supreme Court and if Mike Johnson was still the Speaker of the House and Biden died in office they would be more than happy to elevate Johnson to President over Obama who they would rule as ineligible. Completing their goal to make the US a Christian Nationalist Nation.

by Anonymousreply 56July 7, 2024 1:02 PM

[quote] A woman wouldn't be able to beat Trump. This country is still too sexist to elect a woman as POTUS.

I really think that's overlearning the lesson of 2016. Hillary had been an almost 25 year target of attacks from the right-wing media machine, yet still managed to win the popular vote & may well have won the election but for Comey's 11th hour intervention.

by Anonymousreply 57July 7, 2024 1:30 PM

[quote] Over $100M in campaign funds is tied to her. Though the Dems still might be off the ballot in OH, if there is a change, which would leave Sherrod Brown in the wilderness and probably tip the Senate to the MAGA party.

Both Mike Murphy & David Axelrod rejected out of hand the argument that money would be an issue for a non-Harris replacement candidate. There may be other reasons why it would be best to go with Harris, but money isn't one of them. As for placement on the Ohio ballot, my understanding is that the DNC just has to have a new nominee in place by Aug. 7.

by Anonymousreply 58July 7, 2024 1:35 PM

Kim Kardashian

by Anonymousreply 59July 7, 2024 1:43 PM

Oh that’s great, R58, since the Democratic Convention doesn’t even start until 12 days later on the 19th of August, so you’re really cooking with gas there.

Great stuff!

by Anonymousreply 60July 7, 2024 2:07 PM

To those of you still pushing Whitmer she insists she will finish her term in Michigan and absolutely supports Biden:

One of the most prominent names is Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, who has said she absolutely, positively backs Biden and has no desire to be a last-minute replacement to take on former President Donald Trump.

Biden says he’s not going anywhere. Yet, speculation lives on — along with questions of what might happen should Whitmer somehow replace Biden.

The buzz grew louder Monday, when Politico Magazine quoted “someone close to a potential 2028 Whitmer rival” as saying she privately said Michigan is no longer winnable for Biden after Thursday’s debate.

Hours later, Whitmer’s X account posted a succinct denial: “Anyone who claims I would say that we can’t win Michigan is full of shit.”

by Anonymousreply 61July 7, 2024 2:31 PM

R60, my point is that the DNC has until August 7 to have a candidate in place for the Ohio ballot. That's why it had scheduled a late July zoom call to formally nominate Biden. So, if that's an overriding concern, & a replacement choice, if any, is to be left to the delegates, the DNC can innovate - maybe have some candidate debates - & require the delegates make a pre-Convention decision. Desperate times require desperate measures!

by Anonymousreply 62July 7, 2024 2:32 PM

[quote]Knowing what I know about our country, I don’t think putting a black, woman, at the top of the ticket is going to be the cure-all some people think it will be. Just guessing.

Not just that, but a polarizing one that doesn't have many accomplishments under her belt and comes that San Francisco Gomorrah that frightens so many Americans. Fox News would have a field day. It may not be fair, but that's the reality of it.

by Anonymousreply 63July 7, 2024 2:44 PM

R50 I bet money a woman could beat Trump especially a highly attractive woman. Trump is highly unlikeable.

Listen both Trump and Biden are polarizing with huge unfavorable percentages despite having a big group of fangurls. They are like the Beyoncé Knowles-Carter of politics except in the case of Joe, he is talented like the Queen Bey.

by Anonymousreply 64July 7, 2024 4:36 PM

R64 If you're thinking of Gretchen Whitmer. I doubt she could beat Trump. She's not a bad looking woman, but she went a tad overboard with botox and other cosmetic procedures. In a Detroit Free Press article, it mentions that some of her teeth were knocked when she was a child and she has dental implants. She would probably be made fun by many people because of the teeth, botox, of whatever else she had done to her face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 7, 2024 4:54 PM

R65 Bro she is beautiful compared to Trump’s ugly orange ass as I’m guessing most of us on this thread are. She is a good looking woman anyway.

by Anonymousreply 66July 7, 2024 4:56 PM

R66 I agree, she is beautiful compared to Trump and also someone like Marjorie Taylor Geico and Mitch "Turtle" McConnell.

by Anonymousreply 67July 7, 2024 5:07 PM

R55 Most people probably wouldn't about how Klobuchar treats her staff members. Probably other senators and congresspeople are nightmare bosses. Nancy Mace was called out some months back.

by Anonymousreply 68July 7, 2024 5:26 PM

For the reasons stated about, it needs to be Harris at the top of the ticket.

1. She automatically gets the campaign funds already accrued. Nobody else has that advantage.

2. She's already been vetted and any skeletons in her closet have been revealed during the previous campaign.

3. She's a known entity in DC and to the public at large. Agreed, she lacks "star quality" but conversely there will be no surprises with her.

The key then becomes who to bring on as #2. Ideally it would be someone who brings some serious credentials relative to both domestic and global affairs, much the way Biden did when Obama named him his running mate.

I asked the question to ChatGPT. It's response:

1. Stacey Abrams: Abrams is a prominent figure in Democratic politics, known for her work in voting rights and as a former Georgia gubernatorial candidate. She could help mobilize African American voters and energize progressive and younger voters.

2. Tammy Duckworth: A senator from Illinois and a combat veteran, Duckworth brings military experience and a strong record on healthcare and disability rights. She could strengthen Harris's appeal among veterans and moderate voters.

3. Val Demings: Demings, a former police chief and congresswoman from Florida, brings law enforcement experience and could help appeal to voters concerned with public safety. She is also seen as a rising star in the party.

4. Gretchen Whitmer: The governor of Michigan, Whitmer has experience governing a key battleground state. She could help secure the crucial Midwest region and appeal to working-class voters.

5. Cory Booker: A senator from New Jersey, Booker has a progressive record on criminal justice reform and economic issues. He could help energize African American voters and progressives.

6. Julian Castro: Former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development under Obama, Castro has strong credentials on immigration and housing issues. He could appeal to Latino voters and progressive Democrats.

7. Andrew Yang: Entrepreneur and former presidential candidate, Yang has a base of support among younger voters and could bring attention to issues like universal basic income and technology policy.

8. Amy Klobuchar: Senator from Minnesota, Klobuchar ran for president in 2020 and is known for her pragmatism and appeal in the Midwest. She could help unify the party and appeal to moderate voters.

Ultimately, the choice would depend on Harris's strategy for the campaign, the issues she prioritizes, and the demographics she aims to mobilize. Each of these potential running mates brings different strengths and could complement Harris's candidacy in various ways.

by Anonymousreply 69July 7, 2024 5:30 PM

Val Demings should have bigger political career.

by Anonymousreply 70July 7, 2024 5:36 PM

It will be karmala

by Anonymousreply 71July 7, 2024 5:38 PM

Gavin is apparently severely dyslexic. How does this affect his campaigning (teleprompter etc.)? How does he deal with daily briefs etc.?

by Anonymousreply 72July 7, 2024 5:43 PM

That was a pitiful response from ChatGPT, R69. Not a white man in the bunch. Not Shapiro, not Beshear, not Cooper. So very bad.

by Anonymousreply 73July 7, 2024 5:45 PM

Maurice The Pants Man?

by Anonymousreply 74July 7, 2024 5:48 PM

R73 of course the AI was programmed to spit out only BIPOC candidates. Stacy Abrams? Really? She had lost multiple elections, much like Beto.

Garbage in, garbage out.

Andy Beshear or Sherrod Brown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 7, 2024 5:58 PM

Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff said Sunday that President Joe Biden “should take a moment to make the best-informed judgment” about the future of his presidential campaign.

Schiff, who is running for the US Senate in California, stressed the importance for Democrats of beating former President Donald Trump in November. “This is an existential race,” Schiff said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“Joe Biden is running against a criminal,” Schiff said. “It should not be even close, and there’s only one reason it is close, and that’s the president’s age.”

Schiff advised Biden to “take a moment to make the best-informed judgment” about remaining in the presidential race. “If the judgment is run, then run hard and beat that SOB,” Schiff said.

Asked whether Vice President Kamala Harris would make a better candidate than Biden, Schiff said Harris would make a “phenomenal president,” adding, “I think she has the experience, the judgment, the leadership ability to be an extraordinary president.” But he reiterated that the decision about staying in the race was up to Biden, saying, “I don’t think it’s good for the party to get into a debate over okay, if not him, then whom?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 7, 2024 6:00 PM

Does ChatGPT go off data and media coverage from 2019 and 2020?

Cory Booker, Andrew Yang, and Julian Castro ran in the Dem primary 2020. Yang is now hanging around the No Labels crowd. Nobody these days cares about Booker or Castro.

I remember Duckworth being mentioned in 2020 as a possible VP for Biden. I like Duckworth and it sucks that she always get cast aside because of twats like Bernie Sanders, Chuck Schumer, Romney, Ted Cruz etc. But, Duckworth is a moderate though and the media doesn't care about the moderates.

by Anonymousreply 77July 7, 2024 6:00 PM

How about Adam Schiff for VP. He did a great job with Trump's almost Impeached.

by Anonymousreply 78July 7, 2024 6:03 PM

Andy Beshear might be a dark horse for 2028.

by Anonymousreply 79July 7, 2024 6:06 PM

R78 both Schiff and Kamala are associated with the same state: California, the land of liberals and trannies.

The VP needs to be either from the Midwest or the South.

by Anonymousreply 80July 7, 2024 6:07 PM

I hate that I have to hate Biden now for getting us in this mess.

by Anonymousreply 81July 7, 2024 6:10 PM

Yes, that's the issue, isn't it, OP? I realized that during the few minutes of the debate I saw. Replacing Biden is easier said than done because of how obsessed with identity the Democratic party is right now. Harris is objectively awful, but if the Democratic party skips over her, they have to pick someone who checks the same boxes. I'm not sure a white woman or a POC man would be enough to avoid getting the op-eds and social media posts about how racist or sexist the Democrats are for skipping Harris. So that means another woman POC. Of course, that all goes away if Harris agreed to be skipped, but who thinks that would actually happen?

by Anonymousreply 82July 7, 2024 6:14 PM

I don't think Democrat from California will ever be elected president.

by Anonymousreply 83July 7, 2024 6:23 PM

[quote]I hate that I have to hate Biden now for getting us in this mess.

Throw Obama in for not codifying Roe v Wade and Ruth Bader Ginsberg for not stepping down because she wanted to swear in Hillary. And fuck Hillary too, while I'm at it for wearing caftans.

by Anonymousreply 84July 7, 2024 6:25 PM

Mistakes from the past are useless to obsess over r84

Worry about what can be solved NOW

by Anonymousreply 85July 7, 2024 6:29 PM

Here's the deal, If Biden is elected and I expect he will, I really don't expect him to live another 4 years. So? President Kamala. I'm good with that. All the same I don't expect Trump will make it another 4 years either. But his evil legacy will live on

by Anonymousreply 86July 7, 2024 6:33 PM

[quote]Worry about what can be solved NOW

Yes, but can it? 120 days out and it ain't looking good.

by Anonymousreply 87July 7, 2024 6:36 PM

If Trump wins, I don't think he will serve a full four year term. It is a still major worry because he's going to pick a very dangerous person as VP.

by Anonymousreply 88July 7, 2024 6:40 PM

It needs to be an open contest, mini primary. If the UK can do this in 6 weeks then Democrats can have a quick primary. It can't be a coronation of Harris. Plus, a contest would pull all media attention and create excitement around the Democrats, which will really enrage Dump.

by Anonymousreply 89July 7, 2024 6:44 PM

I’d still vote for Biden if they wheel him in Weekend at Bernie’s style as I just don’t see Kamala, Buttigieg, Newsom, Witmer as electable. Before 2016, I would have been more optimistic about the alternative candidates, but Trumps’s election and subsequent hold over a large portion of the population has opened my eyes.

Agree that Biden will not be able to serve out his term and we’ll get President Harris that way.

A longshot scenario: Biden picks a new VP, a younger man, who would be more appealing to conservative voters and convince the undecided. No way it will happen but it would give his campaign a boost.

Ultimately, the election will be decided by voter turnout and I hope that voters will be so terrified at the prospect of a second Trump presidency, that they’ll vote for Biden (or whoever is on the Dem ticket).

by Anonymousreply 90July 7, 2024 6:49 PM

R89 Excellent point!!!

by Anonymousreply 91July 7, 2024 6:49 PM

As I understand it Harris just needs to be on the ticket. Either top or or VP gets the money.

This election is about making sure birth control stays legal with SCOTUS poised to overturn Griswold vs Connecticut so I don’t think traditional concerns about female candidates hold up. Women and the men who are schtupping women of childbearing potential understand that women will protect birth control better than men.

I love Kamala Harris, but she’s a boomer and we’ve had boomer Presidents. She also speaks like a lawyer raised by a scientist which I really like, but most people don’t.

Both candidates can’t be from the same state. We can’t afford to lose a sitting Senator. And I don’t think a vegan, nerdy or Jewish candidate can win yet.

That’s why I think Whitmer - Harris is the strongest ticket. But I will vote for whatever the DNC ticket is.

by Anonymousreply 92July 7, 2024 6:58 PM

Why not Harris/Newsom (as VP)? I realize they're not perfect but they're better by orders of magnitude.

by Anonymousreply 93July 7, 2024 7:12 PM

R93, both from the same state (CA).

by Anonymousreply 94July 7, 2024 7:18 PM

[quote] Ultimately, the election will be decided by voter turnout

In a reversal of past precedent, a large voter turnout would now seem to inure to the benefit of Trump. The polls of likely & registered voters bear this out. As do most of the key elections the last couple of years when Democrats did very well in non-presidential elections that, almost by definition, attract fewer voters.

by Anonymousreply 95July 7, 2024 7:23 PM

A two woman ticket cannot win in present day America r92

Andy Beshear is a millennial and not a boomer and, more important, white and has cock.

by Anonymousreply 96July 7, 2024 7:32 PM

[quote] That’s why I think Whitmer - Harris is the strongest ticket.

I don't think an all-female ticket could win.

If we have to include Harris on the ticket (and we probably do), then I think it rules out two of the most obvious choices: Whitmer (would create an all-female ticket) and Newsom (both from same state). Replacing Biden would be a much easier task if almost anyone other than Harris were the VP.

by Anonymousreply 97July 7, 2024 7:32 PM

R62, you must be either 12 years old or on drugs.

So not even a nominating convention, then? Just resolve it all in a Zoom call? You must be high.

Thank gawd for the strength, character, wisdom and maturity of Joe Biden, is all I’ll say.

by Anonymousreply 98July 7, 2024 7:43 PM

R97, put. the. crack. pipe. down.

by Anonymousreply 99July 7, 2024 7:44 PM

R96, Beshear is late Gen X. He was born in the 1970s, so he's not quite a Millennial.

I do think he would be the best choice for Harris.

by Anonymousreply 100July 7, 2024 7:48 PM

R65, look at how much cosmetic shit other candidates, including Biden, have had done. That's just standard these days for politicians.

by Anonymousreply 101July 7, 2024 7:53 PM

Kamala is Generation Jones like Obama. They have some Gen X traits.

by Anonymousreply 102July 7, 2024 8:03 PM

These are not normal times, R98. And the stakes are too great.

by Anonymousreply 103July 7, 2024 8:05 PM

Too bad Sylvia Browne who was pals with Kamala's ex-boyfriend Montel Williams isn't alive to give us a prediction about the election.

by Anonymousreply 104July 7, 2024 8:11 PM

How about Dr. Jill? She's pretty popular.

by Anonymousreply 105July 7, 2024 8:12 PM

With all attention now on what Biden says, and how he says it, I don't see how he's not the center of attention if he stays in. We've got two historically unpopular candidates. If the attention of this race is on Biden, not on Trump, I fear the outcome.

by Anonymousreply 106July 7, 2024 8:19 PM

OH well. I guess you should have supported a primary with debates. The situation would be so much different.

by Anonymousreply 107July 7, 2024 8:21 PM

[quote]Both Mike Murphy & David Axelrod rejected out of hand the argument that money would be an issue

Oh, well then it's settled, two guy get to say what they want and we should just take it at face value. No chance those guys almost as old as Biden could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 108July 7, 2024 10:22 PM

r104 I see water.

by Anonymousreply 109July 7, 2024 10:48 PM

[quote] A longshot scenario: Biden picks a new VP, a younger man, who would be more appealing to conservative voters and convince the undecided. No way it will happen but it would give his campaign a boost.

It would NOT give him a boost. As long as Biden is top of the ticket he's not winning new voters. Casting Harris aside sends the wrong signal to the Democrats' core voting blocs -- women and POC.

by Anonymousreply 110July 7, 2024 10:51 PM

Yeah the POCcers would be an angry bunch of bees.

by Anonymousreply 111July 7, 2024 10:51 PM

R108, while you may disagree with Murphy & Axelrod, you dismiss these longtime high-level political operatives as just some random dudes at your peril.

by Anonymousreply 112July 7, 2024 10:54 PM

Oh yes, long time political operatives are always right.🙄

by Anonymousreply 113July 7, 2024 10:56 PM

We are grateful for your wisdom r113

Please….you teach us 🙏🏼

by Anonymousreply 114July 7, 2024 10:58 PM

[quote] Their idea goes something like this, according to a memo shared with Semafor that has been circulated to Democratic donors and bundlers as well as officials within the Biden campaign and administration:

[quote] "Biden would step down as the Democratic nominee in mid-July, and announce the new system, with backing from Vice President Kamala Harris.

[quote] Potential candidates would have a few days to throw their respective hats in the ring. The Democratic Party then would begin a primary sprint in which the six candidates who receive the most votes from delegates pledge to run positive-only campaigns in the month leading up to the convention.

[quote] The “blitz primary” would involve weekly forums with each candidate moderated by cultural icons (Michelle Obama, Oprah, and Taylor Swift are among the names floated in the memo) in order to engage voters.

[quote] The nominee would ultimately be chosen by the delegates using ranked choice voting before the start of the Chicago convention on Aug. 19.

[quote] It would be announced with plenty of fanfare on the third day of the gathering. The memo imagines the nominee unveiled on stage with Biden, Barack Obama and Bill Clinton."

[quote] We can limp to shameful, avoidable democracy-ending defeat. Or Democrats can make this Our Finest Hour. While we hope for help from Lord Almighty, the Lord helps those who help themselves,” the memo states, alluding to Biden’s recent interview with ABC anchor George Stephanopoulos in which he said only the “Lord Almighty” could force him from the race. “We need to act. Now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 7, 2024 11:21 PM

[quote] Oh yes, long time political operatives are always right.🙄

Axelrod and Murphy (and you can add James Carville too) have been right about this. They've consistently argued that Biden is too old and that the Democrats should nominate someone younger. They warned us over a year ago that what is happening now might happen. You can dismiss them all you want, but they actually know a thing or two about how campaigns work.

by Anonymousreply 116July 7, 2024 11:32 PM

[quote] The “blitz primary” would involve weekly forums with each candidate [bold] moderated by cultural icons (Michelle Obama, Oprah, and Taylor Swift are among the names floated in the memo) [/bold] in order to engage voters.

WTF?

by Anonymousreply 117July 7, 2024 11:34 PM

I like it! We need some outside the box thinking. Losing to Trump is not an option.

by Anonymousreply 118July 7, 2024 11:36 PM

Taylor Swift? Is this what we've come to?

by Anonymousreply 119July 7, 2024 11:36 PM

Well, R119, Donald F. Trump is poised to return to the White House. So yes, this is what we've come to.

by Anonymousreply 120July 7, 2024 11:41 PM

[quote] The “blitz primary” would involve weekly forums with each candidate moderated by cultural icons (Michelle Obama, Oprah, and Taylor Swift are among the names floated in the memo) in order to engage voters.

The final round will be a thrilling "Lip Sync for Your Life" to Lainie Kazan's Copacabana during the convention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121July 7, 2024 11:43 PM

That’s Donald Jessica Trump to you.

by Anonymousreply 122July 7, 2024 11:43 PM

I'm with r5 - Andy Beshear could be a contender. He's young (46), white and pleasant looking. He could pull in some votes from other red states since he governor of Kentucky. He is quite articulate, without being long winded and comes across as 'presidential' in appearance and demeanor. I like Kammy (Kamala) but many don't and a woman, not to mention her ethnicity, are not a winning combo. If she had 'onions' then yes, but ovaries aren't enough.

Whomever is chosen should Biden step aside, I will vote for but it better be someone who is really capable of beating the ORANGE MENACE.

by Anonymousreply 123July 7, 2024 11:45 PM

I told you that the convention would be must-watch TV with huge ratings. The Paris Olympics were supposed to be the highlight of the summer, but it will end up being the Democratic convention.

by Anonymousreply 124July 7, 2024 11:48 PM

[quote] Whomever is chosen should Biden step aside, I will vote for but it better be someone who is really capable of beating the ORANGE MENACE.

I do not accept that Trump is some electoral juggernaut. Other than a fluke election win against a seriously vulnerable candidate in '16, what's the evidence that he's not ballot box poison? He's very beatable.

by Anonymousreply 125July 7, 2024 11:49 PM

A bowl of Jell-O?

by Anonymousreply 126July 7, 2024 11:52 PM

If Kamala is at the top of the ticket, then her VP will definitely be a man. Most likely a white man. Andy Beshear, JB Pritzker, Roy Cooper, Pete B., would be at the top of the list. Newsom is not as likely, since both he and Kamala are from California.

by Anonymousreply 127July 7, 2024 11:52 PM

Independents will decide the election, and they have been begging to vote for anyone other than Trump and Biden. Whoever we nominate will win.

The CNN poll shows Kamala winning Independents, women and young voters against Trump, while the same poll shows Biden losing to Trump among all 3 of those groups.

by Anonymousreply 128July 7, 2024 11:57 PM

If Kamala is winning them, then they should just vote for Biden then.

I mean, DUH. Doesn't anyone who lives here know how our system of government works?!?

by Anonymousreply 129July 8, 2024 12:00 AM

There’s a whole world outside DL posters, R129. And they may not vote - or choose not to vote - for a variety of reasons that are mysterious to us.

by Anonymousreply 130July 8, 2024 12:03 AM

You want Biden? Vote Biden.

You want Kamala? Vote Biden.

You want Democrats generally in charge? Vote Biden.

You want Putin's puppet and fascist white supremacist rapist pedophile and traitor in charge? Vote Trump or don't vote at all, or waste your vote on a 3rd party.

This is really simple.

by Anonymousreply 131July 8, 2024 12:07 AM

[quote] The final round will be a thrilling "Lip Sync for Your Life" to Lainie Kazan's Copacabana during the convention.

Gretchen Whitmer will do well in the swimsuit competition. J.B. Pritzker -- not so much.

by Anonymousreply 132July 8, 2024 12:17 AM

Perhaps, Biden knows that he won't live long enough to see the end of his second term. Perhaps, his plan is to have Kamala lined up to become President, because we all know a black woman may not be elected on her own merits any time soon. If this happens, Kamala will have many options and a stable of white men to groom for a Vice President. And, if she doesn't fuck it up, she may win a second term.

by Anonymousreply 133July 8, 2024 1:11 AM

Replacement VPs have to be approved by both the House and the Senate. If at anytime the House is Republican led that is an incredibly risky plan.

by Anonymousreply 134July 8, 2024 1:16 AM

Trump

by Anonymousreply 135July 8, 2024 1:17 AM

[quote]Replacement VPs have to be approved by both the House and the Senate.

Not any more, it's an official act. - Don't like it, take me to court. - Kamala

by Anonymousreply 136July 8, 2024 1:20 AM

Realistically, basically or literally OP?

by Anonymousreply 137July 8, 2024 1:25 AM

R134 Well, at least Kamala would be President. Hopefully by then Democrats will have the House and Senate.

by Anonymousreply 138July 8, 2024 1:30 AM

To clarify I mean the replacement PI to replace the VP who has become the President.

by Anonymousreply 139July 8, 2024 2:09 AM

R115, so the voting would be secret? And the results held to be some big surprise on a certain day? Eff that.

by Anonymousreply 140July 8, 2024 3:01 AM

[quote]Taylor Swift? Is this what we've come to?

Taylor Swift should probably be on the ticket, realistically.

by Anonymousreply 141July 8, 2024 3:11 AM

Oprah and Gayle

by Anonymousreply 142July 8, 2024 5:14 AM

Nobody. The incumbent has to run. Stop trying to find sexy hotties to replace him.

Trump is ancient, too- so that is a plus.

by Anonymousreply 143July 8, 2024 11:19 PM

[quote] Trump is ancient, too

All the more reason to nominate a younger candidate. Two of the strongest arguments against Trump are that he's too old and he's incoherent. But thanks to Biden, those arguments are now off the table. We can't effectively make those arguments when we're stuck with an even older candidate who can't speak a coherent sentence without a prompter.

by Anonymousreply 144July 8, 2024 11:29 PM

Sorry but no matter how much bothsiderism Repubs use, Biden is irreplaceable.

It's the reason Trump has disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 145July 8, 2024 11:33 PM

How stupid are you, R145? He disappeared because even a malignant narcissist like Trump knows not to get in the way of his opponent imploding, which is what's happening right now.

No politician is irreplaceable. That's the arrogant delusion that caused Ruth Bader Ginsburg to die on the Supreme Court when she could have enjoyed a few years of retirement. Look how well that turned out.

by Anonymousreply 146July 8, 2024 11:43 PM

Actually r146, Amy Coney Barrett is much more sexy than Ruthie Ginsburg

by Anonymousreply 147July 8, 2024 11:49 PM

Amy Coney Barret looks like she could be Amanda Knox's older sister.

by Anonymousreply 148July 8, 2024 11:57 PM

Considering any politician irreplaceable is unwise.

by Anonymousreply 149July 9, 2024 12:45 AM

Which is why Dems need to move up the nomination of Joe to before the convention.

Lock him in.

by Anonymousreply 150July 9, 2024 12:59 AM

How about Michelle and Barack can be VP. Oprah can be Secretary of State.

by Anonymousreply 151July 9, 2024 1:12 AM

It's not about Biden being irreplaceable in some silly sense of the term. It's whether you can do some "we secretly switched your Biden coffee for some Rando crystals" at the last minute and see if anybody knows the difference.

Yes, there will be questions. Many, many questions. And if you don't think the media will immediately turn around and start going Who This Bitch and Why Do they Suck? you don't know our grand and glorious fourth estate.

by Anonymousreply 152July 9, 2024 1:21 AM

How silly, the Republicans are scared shitless with diversion, if all their machinations about corrupting the SC and the powers of the president, will become resident with Joe Biden to hold REPUBLICANS accountable.

If the Senate shifts to a Senate Supermajority, it will happen in 2026 Midterm.

Republicans are shitting themselves that there will be 1/6 Sedition Congressional Investigations.

Perfect backdrop for replacing Garland with Yates.

by Anonymousreply 153July 9, 2024 10:09 AM

Republicans are not scared shitless. They are confident they will win the White House, likely to take the Senate, and iffy on the House. They have an activist Supreme Court that is eager to undo the last 60 years. Democrats are propping up the oldest candidate in American history, who shows it every day that his campaign is not hiring him from view.

by Anonymousreply 154July 9, 2024 10:23 AM

Republicans are propping up the most corrupt and criminal candidate in history, a delusional liar nonpareil, because those Evangelical Capitalists, who bought the Supreme Court, know they can make the Trump marionette jump. The only thing that changed after Trumps one term was his insurrection, the completion of the purchase of the Supreme Court (Justices can accept GRATUITIES?), the Big Lie, and all of his indictments and convictions.

Those rich White Supremacists have been prepping for this for years, but they had no idea that their puppet would be so defective.

Plus, adding Dobbs and Republicans know they are fucked.

Wait, wait, did Biden sneeze?

by Anonymousreply 155July 9, 2024 10:46 AM

Biden needs to stay in the race and everyone needs to vote for him if we don't want Trump to win.

by Anonymousreply 156July 10, 2024 8:48 PM

Everyone needs to vote for the Democratic ticket whoever is on it.

Biden/Harris - vote the ticket Harris/person x - vote the ticket Person x/Harris - vote the ticket Person x/Person y - vote the ticket

by Anonymousreply 157July 10, 2024 9:31 PM

I will vote for Biden Harris until they win, or I cannot,

by Anonymousreply 158July 10, 2024 9:50 PM

What about Hakeem Jeffries?

by Anonymousreply 159July 18, 2024 7:05 PM

What younger person could outdo Vance?

by Anonymousreply 160July 18, 2024 7:06 PM

R160 There's nobody, unfortunately. Pete Buttigieg is a couple of years older than Vance, but he won't be able to win due to homophobia which is still rampant.

Many of the sane moderate Democrats millennials in Congress are ignored by the media because they aren't extremist loud mouths like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

by Anonymousreply 161July 18, 2024 7:35 PM

Vance was fantastic in his speech last night. The repbulicans really seem to be nurturing the youngsters on the bench. Including them in. I'm betting President Trump's next cabinet will be the youngest in history. I'm betting on Niki for SOS.

by Anonymousreply 162July 18, 2024 7:43 PM

It's a long shot but Jamie Raskin (MD congressman) is super smart and has a knack for putting the liars in their place. He's only 61 - not a contender but, if he and/or Hakeem Jeffries would make a killer team. Mature white man and firebrand black man - both could wipe the floor w/DUMP/Vance.

by Anonymousreply 163July 18, 2024 8:12 PM

A young governor. Kamala will be too tainted. All she's going to get is what did you know about the president's health and when did you know it? Who was running the country? Did you assist in the coverup? Were you too weak to invoke the 25th? How can the public possibly trust you?

by Anonymousreply 164July 18, 2024 8:15 PM

R163 He's too short.

by Anonymousreply 165July 18, 2024 8:16 PM

As to Kamala - she's not popular regardless of her position as current VP. I have always found her way of speaking annoying (choppy/preachy) but she is smart and can think on her feet. I saw her on Late Night w/Steven Colbert some time ago - she was a totally different person and came across as very likeable and somewhat entertaining. I developed a different POV regarding her after that. Still, she can not win in spite of the 'polls' indicating she is even w/DUMP.

by Anonymousreply 166July 18, 2024 8:17 PM

R163 - maybe he could borrow a pair of lifts from DUMP!

by Anonymousreply 167July 18, 2024 8:18 PM

Reply 167 was meant for R165!

by Anonymousreply 168July 18, 2024 8:19 PM

I like them both but a ticket of a Black woman, Kamala and a gay man, Pete, would be an epic disaster. I think they would be a good and effective team if they could get elected but they can't and this isn't the time for experimentation.

by Anonymousreply 169July 18, 2024 8:24 PM

Roy Cooper

by Anonymousreply 170July 18, 2024 8:25 PM

Jamie Raskin, on top of being short, is an ugly Jewish man with lymphoma. It doesn’t matter how smart he is, he’ll never be President.

by Anonymousreply 171July 18, 2024 9:20 PM

Gavin Newsom

He's got the looks and the political outlook that I can support.

by Anonymousreply 172July 18, 2024 9:22 PM

Christian Nationalism would probably play into keeping a Jewish person from winning a presidential election.

by Anonymousreply 173July 18, 2024 9:22 PM

[quote]What younger person could outdo Vance?

Pete Buttigieg, he's smarter, quicker around the same age, also served his country, can handle religious questions, and wears less Guyliner.

by Anonymousreply 174July 18, 2024 9:25 PM

[quote]this isn't the time for experimentation.

It's never the time for experimentation if that's your excuse.

by Anonymousreply 175July 18, 2024 9:27 PM

Newsom needs to fix that hair.

by Anonymousreply 176July 18, 2024 9:28 PM

I know Newsom is unlikely but he can really get under the skin of right wingers and would eviscerate any of them, particularly Trump, in a debate. And he's not afraid of getting down and dirty. Just ask DeSantis.

by Anonymousreply 177July 18, 2024 9:33 PM

R171 - Well, a girl can dream - can't she? Yes, he is not photogenic but those of substance see beyond the package. There are many that are attractive and all polished up but, beyond that, just empty inside. Of course most of the electorate likes shiny and forceful - too bad for the rest of us. Cheers to you ElderLez!

by Anonymousreply 178July 18, 2024 10:33 PM

It is a shame any of those things are disqualifying Icky. I agree.

by Anonymousreply 179July 18, 2024 11:26 PM

ANDY BESHEAR

by Anonymousreply 180July 18, 2024 11:34 PM

Jared Polis. Not sure if he'd even be interested in it.

by Anonymousreply 181July 18, 2024 11:38 PM

R181 He's gay and this country is till very homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 182July 18, 2024 11:41 PM

He was elected the Governor of a very purple, largely rural state, that gave us Boebert, among other things. And those are exactly the states which will be the crux of this election.

by Anonymousreply 183July 18, 2024 11:46 PM

R180 - YES ! I mentioned Andy either up thread or another one. Anyway, he's young, pleasant looking and has some national exposure due to the severe weather events a while back. Very articulate and can respond w/o stumbling - speaks in a concise manner that most can follow. If he were the lead, and Kamala remained VP (or they select someone else) this might work. But if they move Kamala to top spot and him as VP that might be better. Who knows - we must support whomever supports DEMOCRACY. We know the MAGA Lug Nuts and their Orange Klown don't support it and probably don't know the real meaning of it.

by Anonymousreply 184July 18, 2024 11:48 PM

It depends on what Biden does.

Replace Biden?

You mean Biden withdraws from the race but continues to run the country for 6 more months as President while his substitute races across America running for President? How stupid can Democrats be?

I would advise Biden to RESIGN at the convention (have Blinken in the wings), and throw all of his cash and delegates behind newly minted President Harris. No fucking Democratic weasel, Nancy or Adam would be able to mount a convention campaign, and they will have fucked themselves.

That or Biden runs.

by Anonymousreply 185July 19, 2024 12:45 AM

Biden/Harris is the ticket. They're not going anywhere.

And after Trump's rambling, incoherent disaster of a speech last night that dragged on for nearly 2 hours (but seemed like more), suddenly Trump isn't seeming so inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 186July 19, 2024 2:39 PM

Except fundraising has dried up. Post debate, they are at 25 percent of what they projected.

by Anonymousreply 187July 19, 2024 2:44 PM

Republican manipulation at its best. Once Biden or Harris are locked in as President Nominee, DreamWorks has no option but to donate to Dems.

by Anonymousreply 188July 19, 2024 2:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!