Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

60 year old falls just short of the Miss Universe Argentina title

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — A 60-year-old woman saw her dreams of becoming the oldest Miss Universe contestant in history melt away in a haze of sequins and selfies Saturday at Argentina’s annual beauty pageant.

Alejandra Marisa Rodríguez, a hopital legal adviser whose entry into the competition had been cheered as a triumph over ageism in a youth-obsessed world, fell short of the Miss Argentina crown. But she did take home the title of “best face," one of several pageant categories including best evening gown, best swimsuit and most elegant.

During the contest she thanked everyone who celebrated her success in the Miss Buenos Aires competition last month. Her win there, after Miss Universe eliminated its long-standing age limit, generated a frenzy of global media attention that vaulted her from obscurity to local fame.

In an instant the soft-spoken lawyer from the city of La Plata, south of Buenos Aires, was doling out moisturizer tips to women striving to achieve her surreally smooth face and promising the public there was truth to the adage that age is just a number.

“As a result of what happened to me, I believe a new door has opened for many people who perhaps did not have it easy,” Rodríguez told The Associated Press backstage after the event, still dressed in her red cocktail dress with slits revealing her legs. “It was adventure and I had no expectations of this other than taking on a new challenge."

For the swimsuit portion of the Miss Argentina contest, Rodríguez chose a modest one-piece suit with a shawl draped over her shoulders, giving the crowd a shimmy as fans whooped and blew air horns.

But the judges preferred Magali Benejam, a 29-year-old actress and model from Cordoba who donned a skimpy blue bikini and sky-high stilettos to win “best swimsuit” and ultimately beat out the 27 other contestants to be crowned Miss Argentina.

Even Benejam's victory would have been impossible a year ago, as the pageant had long capped the age of contestants at 28. This year, for the first time in its 73-year-history, the Miss Universe contest is welcoming any participant over age 18.

For decades, the Miss Universe pageant openly described itself as an extravaganza of unmarried women in their late teens and twenties strutting around for judges to rate their looks and personalities. As more and more people found that troubling, organizers realized how far the contest trailed behind the culture.

Over recent years, as #MeToo and social justice movements swept the globe, Miss Universe raced to persuade skeptics it was more about minds and spirits than bodies.

It stripped away many controversial eligibility requirements, opening the field for married, pregnant, lesbian and transgender women, and it nixed all mentions of "beauty" from its website.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2024 8:38 AM

Not bad for 60.

This year's Miss Universe pageant is going to be a wild ride.

I'm very curious to see the representatives from each country, with the new rules in place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2024 6:48 AM

Who won? Javier Milei?

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2024 6:51 AM

Nepal sent this person last year.

I hope they out-do themselves this year... lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2024 6:52 AM

[quote] Who won? Javier Milei?

29 year old Magali Benejam Corthey.

The usual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2024 6:55 AM

[quote]I'm very curious to see the representatives from each country, with the new rules in place.

What are the new rules?

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2024 7:28 AM

[quote] What are the new rules?

From the article at op:

[bold]the pageant had long capped the age of contestants at 28. This year, for the first time in its 73-year-history, the Miss Universe contest is welcoming any participant over age 18.[/bold]

[bold]It stripped away many controversial eligibility requirements, opening the field for married, pregnant, lesbian and transgender women, and it nixed all mentions of "beauty" from its website.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2024 7:32 AM

Maybe she could go out for "Best MILF Bukake Gangbang"?

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2024 7:39 AM

[quote]and it nixed all mentions of "beauty" from its website.

Then what's the point of having a "beauty" pageant?

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2024 7:54 AM

I didn't realize beauty pageants had gotten 'woke.'

'Wokes' are very anti-beauty/-tradition.

I thought that was a conservative stronghold.

by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2024 8:14 AM

[quote] I didn't realize beauty pageants had gotten 'woke.'

[quote] I thought that was a conservative stronghold.

It might have something to do with the new owner of the Miss Universe Organization being trans.

Things changed a lot since they took over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2024 8:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!