Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

5+ True Crime Mysteries that really capture my mind and scare the fuck out of me-

Barry and Honey Sherman

Lindsay Buziak

Richard Petrone and Danielle imbo

Missy Bevers

The Springfield 3 (his dude Lamont at Large on Youtube, I believe he has the answer-or some great clues- you can check it out yourselves~

and of course that chick from Iowa- the newscaster?

by Anonymousreply 22May 28, 2024 12:11 AM

Missy Bevers, Jesus Christ that video is terrifying.

Conversely, I don’t care at all about Zodiac. If not for the scribblings, it’s not that unusual. Same with DB Cooper. Springfield Three, Asha Degree, Kyron Horman are a few I find fascinating-hope that doesn’t sound crass.

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2024 2:17 AM

Little Kyron- I totally forgot him!!! Absolutely-

And yes, that Missy Bevers video is horrific- I still feel it is in law related, despite their alibi-

Also, I cannot remember her name- Carol- She was a pastor in Andarko? That scared me so much. still unsolved. 2009 or so-

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2024 2:27 AM

For me that Petrone/Imbo case chills me to the bone- more than any-

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2024 2:28 AM

JonBenet Ramsey, of course. It seems unlikely that Patsy herself did it, despite the ongoing Datalounge meme, although she was likely involved in the cover-up. Was it the father? The brother?

by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2024 2:30 AM

I grew up watching Unsolved Mysteries and have had a lifelong preoccupation with mysteries and disappearances. There are so many I am alternately fascinated/terrified by. Off the top of my head, this one creeps me the fuck out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2024 2:34 AM

Also, the Brianna Maitland disappearance. Very strange and gives dark, rancid vibes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2024 2:37 AM

She had a meltdown and just vanished

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2024 2:39 AM

It's probably a cliche by now, but DB Cooper.

I don't think he survived the jump. With that said, suspect William J. Smith looks eerily similar to the composite sketch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2024 2:43 AM

R6- that is one state over from me and i have never heard of this case!

by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2024 2:45 AM

Joan Risch. My gut feeling is a botched home abortion, but who knows?

by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2024 3:06 AM

R10- i heard of her 2 months ago- Also one state over! i also suspect that your theory is correct.

by Anonymousreply 11May 26, 2024 3:08 AM

R2 what’s the Carol in Ardako story. Google brings up nothing.

by Anonymousreply 12May 26, 2024 3:59 AM

The 1966 murder of future Illinois Senator Charles Percy's daughter Valerie in their family's North Shore mansion. Her stepmotrher even said she saw the killer, but they never caught who did it. The coroner believed the family cleaned up the house before the police got there.

by Anonymousreply 13May 26, 2024 4:22 AM

R12-

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 26, 2024 5:18 AM

Joan Risch's uncle was likely involved in her disappearance. After the death of her parents Joan was adopted by her aunt and her aunt's husband Frank Nattrass. Shortly before Joan disappeared she confided in her aunt that she had been molested by Frank. Frank's wife had left him and was refusing to reconcile. Other family members said that when they heard about Joan they thought her uncle might be responsible.

by Anonymousreply 15May 26, 2024 5:30 AM

R15- wow- I have never heard this before--

by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2024 4:28 PM

One of the interesting things about the Joan Risch case is that you can find solid, ample evidence to support nearly every theory, but then you find something that immediately sends you back to the drawing board. For example, in the botched abortion theory, why would Joan have performed this in the middle of the day with the kids nearby? Seems like you would plan a little better to make sure the kids had something else going on. Also, why was there no blood in the bathroom? Seems like the bathroom would be central to a home abortion.

by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2024 4:48 PM

The uncle theory comes from this book. The author found this info in police files and interviews,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 26, 2024 5:26 PM

The investigators proved Joan Risch had checked out many books on murder and disappearance from the local library, one of which was about a woman who had intentionally disappeared from her life after smearing blood on the walls of her kitchen. I have always just assumed she did the same thing given how similar those situations would be.

It used to be much easier for people to just up and leave their old lives before there were computers and credit cards to track you.

by Anonymousreply 19May 26, 2024 5:34 PM

I thought they said they were close to breaking the Sherman case not too long ago, yet predictably nothing came of it. The Toronto police is incredibly incompetent, and consistently so, as proven by the handling of all recent major crime cases including Bruce McArthur. The inquest into the police handling of that case deserves its own spotlight / documentary.

At this point, I assume it's gone cold. Definitely a professional job and it follows that the son Jonathan, who came off extremely suspicious in a recent doc (understatement of the year), is the number one suspect in many people's minds. But the useless Toronto major crimes division can't prove it. The detective in charge of the case is a nepo baby who was pulled off it a while ago and got promoted despite her incompetence. You cannot write this shit.

by Anonymousreply 20May 26, 2024 10:42 PM

The Maura Murray and Brianna Maitland disappearances occurred within a month or so of each other and in the same general region; both also involved a car being crashed/abandoned by the side of the road. Police say it was a strange coincidence and that the two are unrelated. I believe them, but still find it very weird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2024 4:51 AM

The Rachel Cooke disappearance always baffled me and gave me the creeps

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 28, 2024 12:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!