Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Celebrities who coast off fumes

Mia Farrow has been riding her role in Rosemary’s Baby and her self-created Woody drama for decades. She’s not even a good actress, in fact she’s pretty horrible and affected in every role.

by Anonymousreply 47May 29, 2024 8:26 PM

Melanie Griffith

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2024 10:18 PM

Faye Dunaway

Jennifer Lopez

Pamela Anderson

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2024 10:25 PM

Sharon Stone

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2024 10:27 PM

Ryan Phillippe

All the surviving cast members of "Friends"

Jerry Seinfeld

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2024 10:27 PM

R4 The cast of Friends will always be huge stars to certain generations..just like Liz Taylor was to the baby boomers..and rightly so. I detest how a star can be seen as successful, but once they've peaked, which is inevitable, they are viewed as hasbeens on DL is they stick around... Can you guys explain ur reasoning to me?

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2024 10:46 PM

Ben Affleck

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2024 11:17 PM

Mariah Carey

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2024 11:18 PM

Mel Gibson

Steven Segal

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2024 11:20 PM

Shawn Mendes

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2024 11:21 PM

George Hamilton

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2024 11:50 PM

Janet Jackson

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2024 11:52 PM

Mia is an excellent actress. She's perfect in Rosemary's Baby and all of the movies she's made with Woody. She's a nut job but I wouldn't say she's been coasting.

by Anonymousreply 12May 26, 2024 12:17 AM

Mia was a star from Peyton Place, even before she hooked up with Frank. She was fabulous in PP, which led to Rosemary's. She dropped out after a few bombs in the late 60's (John and Mary, Secret Ceremony) but I never thought she was bad, just the material. I think everything she's done, she's done on HER terms.

by Anonymousreply 13May 26, 2024 12:50 AM

R2, Jerry Seinfeld for sure. He was only tolerable because of his excellent supporting cast.

by Anonymousreply 14May 26, 2024 12:52 AM

Martin Scorcese.

by Anonymousreply 15May 26, 2024 12:54 AM

Liz was a star to the silent generation not the boomers.

by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2024 12:54 AM

Whoopi Goldberg

by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2024 1:14 AM

Joe piscapo

by Anonymousreply 18May 26, 2024 1:16 AM

Mia played the same waif in any number of films, some of them quite good. She was sometimes good with Woody (Radio Days where she shows rare humor), sometimes awful (the insufferable Hannah). she never really had much of a career. I always wondered how she was able to afford all those kids. My guess is that she was, at best, a mixed bag as a parent.

As for other coasters.......

Damon & Affleck (mostly)

Kevin Costner

by Anonymousreply 19May 26, 2024 1:21 AM

[quote] [R4] The cast of Friends will always be huge stars to certain generations..just like Liz Taylor was to the baby boomers..and rightly so. I detest how a star can be seen as successful, but once they've peaked, which is inevitable, they are viewed as hasbeens on DL is they stick around... Can you guys explain ur reasoning to me?

I really shouldn't, because of the size of the chip on your shoulder.

But sure, I'll bite: none of them has done very good work in years and years. I did like Lisa Kudrow in "The Comeback," but that was quite a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 20May 26, 2024 1:24 AM

Diana Ross. She's still performing her concerts like it's 1982. Nothing's really changed in 42 years.

by Anonymousreply 21May 26, 2024 1:37 AM

R13

She was also in Zelig, Hannah and Her Sisters, etc. she didn’t really drop out after RB.

by Anonymousreply 22May 26, 2024 1:39 AM

Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 23May 26, 2024 1:41 AM

Check out Woody Allen’s “Alice” and/or “Broadway Danny Rose” to see what Mia can do. I love her.

by Anonymousreply 24May 26, 2024 1:43 AM

Can someone just remove "ur" as a substitute for "your" from everyone's collective minds so I never have to read it again?

It's so infantile that you can't type just 2 more letters to make the word "your." Are you 12 years old??

Please stop that.

by Anonymousreply 25May 26, 2024 1:46 AM

Mia was an icon of the 1960s. I think she was never a good actor…but she was still an icon. I had an older sister and all the girls wanted to look like Alison McKenzie. When she left Peyton Place it was a shock. Popular young actresses didn’t give up a top television series back in those days. Then she married Frank Sinatra, which was another shock. She made Rosemary’s Baby which was a shocking film in its time. Then she left Frank and took off for India to be with the Beatles. (No matter what excuse she and her sister made, they went to be with the Beatles).

It was an intense acting career and an intense newspaper-headline career for a few years and those years happened to be the headiest years of the 1960s.

So I can see how she could coast off those years for the rest of her life. Every girl wanted to be Mia,

by Anonymousreply 26May 26, 2024 1:46 AM

Ironic that the two men who directed Mia Farrow in her most notable movies are Roman Polanski and Woody Allen, both accused of sexual misbehavior with underage females. If you took them out of the Mia career equation, that would leave Peyton Place, which she was in for what, 2 years?

by Anonymousreply 27May 26, 2024 1:51 AM

She was one of a number of tiresome waif/naifs that Spy once featured.

by Anonymousreply 28May 26, 2024 1:58 AM

[quote] I always wondered how she was able to afford all those kids.

She had a rent controlled apartment for years. She was one of those people who gave “rent control” a bad name. Now everyone in flyover land thinks NYC is full of rich people living in rent controlled apartments, keeping them off the market which makes all other apartments so high priced. It’s not true - fewer than 2% of apartments in NYC are rent controlled and most are near-hovels.

But Mia Farrow, Dustin Hoffman, Nora Ephron, Cyndi Lauper, Charles Rangel, former Governor David Paterson all had apartments for ridiculously cheap rent. Mia’s apartment was 11 rooms overlooking Central Park West. Nora Ephron had an 8 room apartment at the Apthorp, which was the original apartment building that Ira Levin patterned Bramford House on in Rosemary’s Baby.

by Anonymousreply 29May 26, 2024 2:01 AM

I'm assuming Andre Previn paid child support and maybe Frank left her some cash. She took nothing from him when they divorced and asked that they just remain friends. She sat with the first Mrs Sinatra at Franks funeral and Tina and Nancy have always spoken highly of her though they weren't thrilled when Mia threw the possibility of Frank being Ronan's biological father out there.

by Anonymousreply 30May 26, 2024 2:16 AM

Nancy Sinatra actually made jokes on Twitter about Ronan being Frank’s son and she seems to adore him.

by Anonymousreply 31May 26, 2024 2:20 AM

Nancy said if Ronan and Mia, “He is a big part of us, and we are blessed to have him in our to have him in our lives.” And said of Mia, “From the early days until now, we have been like sisters. My mother is also very fond of her. We are family and will always be.”

by Anonymousreply 32May 26, 2024 2:30 AM

R5 DL knows - your example- the cast of Friends are huge stars. That Liz is an eternal hollywood star No one argues this (that’s saved for new celebs) We also know Monica has bad plastic, Phoebe is a cold fish & Rachael is wildly overrated. Liz made a lot - A LOT - of crap. R5 - there can be no other reason to be here but for the bitching. Why are you here?

by Anonymousreply 33May 26, 2024 2:48 AM

Do you think Mia and Ryan O’Neal ever fucked? I know he was a pretty horrible human being. But oh how I swooned over him when I was young.

Here they are on Peyton Place. I actually find him more convincing, more credible, than her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 26, 2024 2:50 AM

R33, I’m sure the actors from Friends are still quite famous and I would guess they’re set for life financially. But if they genuinely qualify as “huge stars” in 2024, the definition of star has become distorted in recent decades.

Go on, call me ancient. It’s fine.

But Matt LeBlance? A huge star? David Schwimmer? Huge star? What drug are you on?

by Anonymousreply 35May 26, 2024 2:54 AM

Brooke Shields

by Anonymousreply 36May 26, 2024 2:55 AM

Lisa Welchel

by Anonymousreply 37May 26, 2024 2:57 AM

Mia is bitch.

by Anonymousreply 38May 26, 2024 5:43 AM

[quote]But if they genuinely qualify as “huge stars” in 2024, the definition of star has become distorted in recent decades.

The only one who is a “huge star” today is Jennifer Aniston. She’s always on red carpets and gets papped everywhere she goes.

by Anonymousreply 39May 26, 2024 10:11 AM

Jennifer Aniston was cute and wore young, up-to date fashion on Friends (despite working as a waitress in a coffee shop).now she’s too old to be cute and she’s all glammed up in sparkly ugly dresses. She’s not the cute girl guys fell in love with in 1995.

Happens to people who look young for their age. One day they look their age and it’s not a good look.

by Anonymousreply 40May 26, 2024 5:09 PM

Jennifer Aniston marrying Brad Pitt propelled her into permanent A-list status. She also has great PR and used all the “Brad left poor Jen for that homewrecking bitch Angelina” publicity to her advantage for many years.

by Anonymousreply 41May 26, 2024 6:53 PM

Joan Collins. "Dynasty." That's it.

by Anonymousreply 42May 26, 2024 8:13 PM

Johnny Depp

by Anonymousreply 43May 26, 2024 10:52 PM

While I'm solidly Team Woody in the endless debate, I'll gladly concede that Farrow is a terrific actress. She's superb in ROSEMARY'S BABY and DEATH ON THE NILE as well as Allen's BROADWAY DANNY ROSE, THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO, RADIO DAYS, CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS and ALICE, and when I caught her opposite Brian Dennehy in LOVE LETTERS on B'way, to my astonishment she made that mediocre material absolutely riveting.

by Anonymousreply 44May 26, 2024 10:57 PM

Woody pulled a Harvey Weinstein. He hired Black Cube to dig up dirt on the Connecticut police who were investigating the sex abuse case.

These are dirty people.

by Anonymousreply 45May 29, 2024 8:20 PM

Hi Ronan (= R45)!

by Anonymousreply 46May 29, 2024 8:22 PM

Jennifer Lopez has had a ROUGH year.

by Anonymousreply 47May 29, 2024 8:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!