Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sean Baker's Anora wins Palm D'Or at Cannes Film Festival

Anora by Sean Baker (Red Rocket, The Florida Project, Tangerine) becomes the first American film to win the Palm D'Or since Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life in 2011. Jesse Plemons won Best Actor for Yorgos Lanthimos's Kinds of Kindness, while the three leads from Emilia Perez (Zoe Saldana, Karla Sofia Gascon and Selena Gomez) shared the Best Actress prize.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 28, 2024 11:16 PM

I left one of the actresses from Emilia Perez who took Best Actress. Adriana Paz also received it along with Saldana, Gascon and Gomez.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2024 7:11 PM

Has that ever happened before? A four way split for Best Actress? Seems....unusual.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2024 7:15 PM

In 2006, the prize went to all of the actresses from Volver. It's rare, but it's not unprecedented.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2024 7:18 PM

Sean Baker has never made a watchable film. That this one won the Palme D'or likely won't change my mind about that.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2024 7:21 PM

Sean Baker is, however, cute.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2024 7:25 PM

So, they gave Coppola's Megalopolis NOTHING. Sounds about right. How humiliating for him. Now that film will never get an American distributor.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2024 7:28 PM

I think one of Barbara Hershey's Cannes best actress wins was also shared.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2024 7:34 PM

Sean Baker really loves hookers.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2024 7:45 PM

It's Palme d'Or.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2024 8:19 PM

Friendly Persuasion (1956) was another American film that won the Palme d'Or, and it wasn't all that great.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2024 8:19 PM

[quote] It's Palme d'Or.

Who gives a fuck?

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2024 8:21 PM

If we're going back that far, then why not throw in Marty, R10?

I'm happy Jesse Plemons now has a Best Actor prize to go along with Kirsten Dunst's award for Melancholia. I never would have guessed they'd join Newman/Woodward and Bardem/Cruz as married couples with acting prizes from Cannes.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2024 8:33 PM

I didn't correct the spelling, but I do give a fuck about spelling, especially a famous proper noun.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2024 8:36 PM

I look forward to seeing these winners in theaters because the current movie season sucks.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2024 8:47 PM

I liked Baker's previous films. A 3 times Cannes veteran and very strong reviews for the most part seems like a respectable win to me. I've read good things about "Anora" and listened to some enthusiastic reports on the film on Cannes podcasts. A steep step up from shooting his film on his iPhone. Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2024 8:52 PM

I was the one who made the error about the Palme d'Or, and if I'm not offended by R9's correction, I don't see why anyone else should be.

He wasn't rude about it at all, and we're on a site where rudeness is often the default setting.

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2024 8:55 PM

And Baker will be accused of something he did during filming to be canceled by the time of its release.

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2024 9:00 PM

R17, so far the only controversy involving Baker I've heard is when he was caught liking tweets that defended the Kyle Rittenhouse verdict, but there's a slightly judgmental part of me that thinks anyone who does four consecutive movies about sex workers has to have some skeletons in his closet.

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2024 9:06 PM

He looks so humble in that pic. Has he apologised yet for taking the award from an actor of colour?

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2024 9:16 PM

R2, Best Actress was shared by three actresses. The actual name of the film is Emilia Perez.

In 1988,, there was a shared prize for the actresses in Chris Menges’ film, A World Apart, which included Barbara Hershey (a back to back winner who’d won the previous year for 1987’s Shy People), and the British actress Jodhi May and a South African actress Linda Mvusi, who made her film debut in the film and never made another film.

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2024 9:18 PM

R15, Sean Baker has made several films since Tangerine including the Oscar-nominated The Florida Project (2017) and Red Rocket (2021) which was his first film to be in competition at Cannes.

It’s not such a steep step up. He’s one of the best independent filmmakers around.

I highly recommend Starlet (2012) as well. Pretty much all of his films are about sex workers. Though I can’t remember if the young mother in The Florida Project was a sex worker so maybe not that film.

Simon Rex should’ve been Oscar-nominated for Red Rocket. That would’ve been a lot more interesting than whomever they did nominate that year.

by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2024 9:26 PM

Starlet is quite good. It defies standard narrative expectations in the best possible ways.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2024 9:30 PM

[quote]I didn't correct the spelling, but I do give a fuck about spelling, especially a famous proper noun.

I suspect I could could count the number of Americans who care about the Palme d'Or on my fingers and toes.

by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2024 9:33 PM

Jesse Plemons is fantastic.

“Killers of the Flower Moon” would have been infinitely better had he played Leo’s part as originally intended.

by Anonymousreply 24May 25, 2024 9:34 PM

R23 You seem nice.

by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2024 9:41 PM

Come on people!

Someone has to have dirt on Sean. He seems nice and all and the films are ok but what the hell? He's almost has bad an QT and all those shots of feet....

What do we know?

by Anonymousreply 26May 28, 2024 9:49 AM

Just picturing what Jesse Plemons' take on Leo's role in KOTFM make sme sad, because it would've been so much more subtle and less cartoony than what Leo did. I even loved the movie as it was but Leo was def the weakest link and JP would've knocked that role out of the park. You're right r24

Sean Baker seems like a really good guy, I am happy for him. His movies have all been terrific to date

by Anonymousreply 27May 28, 2024 11:28 AM

I think Sean Baker is fantastic. He's creating films that nobody else is.

I loved:

The Florida Project - my favorite one

Red Rocket - great

Tangering - may need to rewatch....sort of forgot what it was all about.

by Anonymousreply 28May 28, 2024 11:41 AM

Cher and Norma Aleandro both won in 1985.

by Anonymousreply 29May 28, 2024 11:56 AM

Tangerine - Christmas classic!

by Anonymousreply 30May 28, 2024 9:49 PM

[quote] "In 2006, the prize went to all of the actresses from Volver. It's rare, but it's not unprecedented."

I can do without the flatulence joke(s) in it, but I love that movie, R3.

by Anonymousreply 31May 28, 2024 9:56 PM

I enjoyed Tangerine but I thought The Florida Project was terrible. Red Rocket seemed similar so I never watched it. Surely I'm not the only one questioning the endless accolades heaped on Mr. Baker's output.

by Anonymousreply 32May 28, 2024 10:00 PM

Willem Dafoe was excellent in The Florida Project. But he always is.

by Anonymousreply 33May 28, 2024 10:17 PM

The fixation on sex workers makes me think there’s some sex scandal brewing under his cute surface.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 28, 2024 11:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!