Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Space:1999” marathon on Pluto

Who knew other world encounters would be relentlessly pissy? Is this show a peek into the British mindset of the decade (1970s)? It’s a beautiful thing to look at, but so depressing. Kind of like “Gilligan’s Island” but as a spacefaring tragedy. Every potential exodus, every joy by the Alphans gets a massive plotz by arrogant guest starring alien pricks. After every show, I just think “these poor people, screwed again”. Any fans?

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2024 7:46 PM

I love it, and was stoked when I turned on Pluto this morning and it was on. It was bleak and quiet and mesmerizing. A total departure from other sci-fi of the time. I still have my Eagle One Transporter.

And then there were Tony and Alan...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 22, 2024 6:05 PM

oh Alan!!! Occasional and brief VPL.

I haven't seen it since its original run in Canada. Was disappointed when they changed the theme music.

In "college" I had an instructor who looked like Maya and she taught a "Humanities" course in futurism. I was stoned on hash for most of her classes and did well. worked ok for Linear Algebra as well. Macroeconomics not so much.

I always felt sorry for Barbara Bain. So sad and anemic looking. At the time everyone blamed Martin Landau.

by Anonymousreply 2May 22, 2024 6:34 PM

we referred to it as one of those Brit puppet shows without the puppets.

I believe UFO was an earlier attempt at the same. That show had an even cooler theme music

by Anonymousreply 3May 22, 2024 6:40 PM

It's such a strange show.

The central premise made no sense: how would the wandering moon be able to travel as faster than light speeds between solar systems, and then slow down once it was in a solar system?

The most interesting thing about the series was its look, with the off-white uniforms and white interiors. tThe Eagles were really cool short-range spaceships and seemed fairly believable.

Barbara Bain had been so sexy on "Mission: Impossible," and now she was so sexless. But of course no one, not even Susan Sullivan (who resembled her) or Barrie Youngfellow or Pamela Sue Martin could pull off a more fabulous pivot move during the credits of the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2024 6:46 PM

[quote] I believe UFO was an earlier attempt at the same.

UFO's producers saw their highest rated episodes were Moon-centric so planned Season Two would be primarily about their Moonbase. When UFO was cancelled by Lord Lew the Andersons pursued the idea with the 1999 series.

I referred UFO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2024 7:16 PM

oops. Preferred.

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2024 7:23 PM

thanks r5. My older brother's girlfriend had that hairdo, but normal brown. we all called her UFO at the time. I should call her that the next time I see her. They married in 1974.

family folklore has it that she let her bangs grow in order to trim them that way and her mother flipped out when she asked how to dye her hair purple.

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2024 7:29 PM

Good for your sister. I think the Moonbase cut was quite becoming, though I'd hold off on the dye unless she also wore all silver clothing and accessories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2024 7:36 PM

I like that shit when in the mood. I like the show’s introduction and titles, music, etc.

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2024 7:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!