Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Speaker phones and FaceTime in public

Call me a dinosaur if you want, but I am amazed at the rudeness of people who think there is nothing wrong with talking on a speakerphone or FaceTime in public.

by Anonymousreply 40May 14, 2024 10:38 AM

Powerless people do discourteous things.

by Anonymousreply 1May 13, 2024 5:07 PM

Me too - what gets me, is in medical offices or in urgent care. Completely inconsiderate!

by Anonymousreply 2May 13, 2024 5:14 PM

I've had several experiences in airport queues where people are FaceTiming and and I'm aware that I can also be seen in the video. I find it infuriating.

And I stand there, seething, rather than saying something.

by Anonymousreply 3May 13, 2024 5:19 PM

I kept running into some tattooed heifer in Kroger the other day holding her phone aloft while listening to the other party talk about her bouts of diarrhea this week and I couldn't make out the rest of her tale of woe. I found it wildly inappropriate and then I wondered if the heifer was some kind of telehealth counselor. I hope we haven't sunk that low.

by Anonymousreply 4May 13, 2024 5:28 PM

I've noticed this is rampant when I go to the supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 5May 13, 2024 5:29 PM

I don't understand. Is it just too difficult to hold your phone up to your ear?

by Anonymousreply 6May 13, 2024 5:44 PM

This seems to happen exclusively in airports, when I've noticed it. I really think that's the only place I've experienced it.

by Anonymousreply 7May 13, 2024 5:45 PM

I don't do this, and I really am unaware of it happening around me often enough to be bothered by it, but how is it any different from hearing a conversation among two people standing together? Seems like a silly thing to get your knickers in a twist about.

by Anonymousreply 8May 13, 2024 5:56 PM

^ in my opinion, they are typically louder and more animated.

by Anonymousreply 9May 13, 2024 6:00 PM

The speaker phone thing is really ridiculous. Worse than the booming bass or rap stuff. I had to open the front door once and yell at a guy “nobody wants to hear your personal business!” It’s all like a see-how-interesting-and-popular-I-am but they’re effing 40 years old.

by Anonymousreply 10May 13, 2024 6:02 PM

I'd put the booming bass (that you can feel in your bowels) as far more annoying above speakerphone calls.

Butt that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 11May 13, 2024 6:06 PM

When people do this in public restrooms I want to call the police on them.

by Anonymousreply 12May 13, 2024 6:10 PM

It's so rude. There are so many people today who are uncivilized pigs who have no idea how to behave when in public.

by Anonymousreply 13May 13, 2024 6:12 PM

For some inexplicable reason this is getting to be the norm on the cardio equipment at my gym. It's getting harder and harder for me to bite my tongue.

by Anonymousreply 14May 13, 2024 6:22 PM

r14 then you have the people who spend most of their time at the gym taking selfies for their Instagram. Why do they think everybody wants to see them sweating their asses off on a treadmill? Just work out and go home!

by Anonymousreply 15May 13, 2024 6:37 PM

I am a complete dinosaur. I do not like hearing any telephone conversation in public.

It is not the same as two or more people having a conversation in public. When you are with a friend or friends, you modulate your voice accordingly. People do not have that with cellphones.

by Anonymousreply 16May 13, 2024 6:53 PM

I see this type of thing all the time now. Two examples from this week:

The girl who was the gate attendant at the airport the other day was blaring explicit “music” from guess which genre and I was shocked. Song was about “popping your pussy”.

I heard a guy who worked at a grocery store meat counter the other day loudly telling a story while working, all “goddamn” this and “motherfucker” that.

There is always a common denominator…

by Anonymousreply 17May 13, 2024 7:12 PM

I hate when someone's FaceTiming and turns the camera on me ("look who's here and wants to say hi!"). I find it rude and inconsiderate. I NEVER FACETIME with people. I find it stupid. Zoom is more than enough twice a week at work.

by Anonymousreply 18May 13, 2024 7:15 PM

R17- Bought of those people are perfect examples of

RIFF RAFF

by Anonymousreply 19May 13, 2024 7:16 PM

R17, I was at the grocery store last week and heard cussing by a group of employees. I was floored that they thought, or didn't even think, it would be acceptable. And, I'm in a more affluent area. I think since it was so hard to find employees, they hired a new group that may not have passed during normal circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 20May 13, 2024 7:21 PM

I see a lot of grandparents talking on FaceTime to their kids and grandchildren. I don’t think they know how loud they are. Or maybe they don’t care.

by Anonymousreply 21May 13, 2024 9:47 PM

I take phone calls in public sometimes, but only if it rings while I'm standing in front of a public entryway.

by Anonymousreply 22May 13, 2024 10:08 PM

I miss phone booths.

by Anonymousreply 23May 13, 2024 10:11 PM

No comment….

by Anonymousreply 24May 13, 2024 10:19 PM

R22 on speaker? It’s one thing to take a call and hold it to your ear, it’s another to make everyone hear both sides.

by Anonymousreply 25May 13, 2024 10:27 PM

Somewhere along the line the world has lost all its standards and taste!

by Anonymousreply 26May 13, 2024 10:28 PM

Mmmm hmm

by Anonymousreply 27May 13, 2024 10:29 PM

BOTH of these people not bought.

by Anonymousreply 28May 13, 2024 10:33 PM

This is just ghastly behavior. There’s no defending it.

by Anonymousreply 29May 13, 2024 10:49 PM

Most of this nonsense can be accomplished with texting.

by Anonymousreply 30May 13, 2024 10:51 PM

They won't text because everything they say is so IMPORTANT we all need to hear it and to hell with us if we don't want to.

by Anonymousreply 31May 13, 2024 10:54 PM

R3 You see you different from me. Start standing up for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 32May 13, 2024 10:57 PM

It makes me feel furious.

by Anonymousreply 33May 13, 2024 10:58 PM

I'm not a big phone talker.

by Anonymousreply 34May 13, 2024 10:59 PM

R31 I know it’s so fucking annoying. And I hate to say it. Well first of all it’s usually it’s a Gen Z thing— of all races and creed. But like any tacky behavior my people are over presented in doing this inconsiderate obnoxious shit. And they usually louder when talk anyway because that’s just our culture to project your voice. I occasionally see white frat boys doing it and bimbo type blondes.

by Anonymousreply 35May 13, 2024 11:00 PM

It seems to be a thing with older ethnic people

by Anonymousreply 36May 13, 2024 11:00 PM

I see it with all races. It’s infuriating.

by Anonymousreply 37May 13, 2024 11:06 PM

I see it a lot with white Karens and white male executive types. That's the demographic I see doing this the most. I'm white btw. It's definitely not a thing limited to one group of people.

by Anonymousreply 38May 13, 2024 11:59 PM

R38 doesn’t go where “THEY” are

by Anonymousreply 39May 14, 2024 12:01 AM

Everybody does this now. It’s not limited to any generation or race, or stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 40May 14, 2024 10:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!