Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I think Cybill Shephard has had more fictional characters based on her...

than any other actor. I could think of seven:

Cathy Lucas as Mavis Henscher in The Other Side of the Wind written a and directed by Orson Welles.

A spoof of Bogdanovich's then-girlfriend, actress Cybill Shepherd (who was present for at least some of the filming, and whose brother, Bill Shepherd, was part of the production crew filming in Arizona). A young actress, Henscher has difficulty balancing her acting career with the correspondence course her home state makes her take while working.

Cheryl Ladd as Pamela Verlaine in Permanent Midnight

"Sandra finds him a new job with a different series, No Such Luck, whose star Pamela Verlaine–herself a recovering addict–sternly but sympathetically insists that he kick his habit first. "

Sharon Stone as Blake Chandler in Irreconcilable Differences. (written and directed by Cybill's ex Peter Bogdanovich)-

When Albert sees a young woman named Blake Chandler working at a hot dog stand, he takes her home and casts her in his next film, which becomes a moderate success. When Lucy sees signs that Albert is interested in Blake for more than just acting, she divorces him, further troubling Casey. Albert ensures that Lucy gets custody of Casey, while he lives in a Hollywood mansion with Blake.

A turning point occurs when Lucy, angered both at Albert's procrastination in paying child support and at the sight of a sloppy, overweight woman in a supermarket buying the same comfort food as she is, hurries home and channels her anger into writing a tell-all novel. Meanwhile, Albert's producers are warning him not to attempt his musical remake of Gone with the Wind, which he is calling Atlanta, but Albert ignores their advice, and his budget for the picture skyrockets, mainly because of his own perfectionist attitude and Blake's mediocre singing voice, along with her diva-like behavior on set. Atlanta becomes an embarrassing box-office bomb, costing Albert any assignments in Hollywood and causing Blake to desert him.

Catherine O'Hara as Carol Ward on Six Feet Under. Carol was a neurotic actress that Lisa Kimmel (Lili Taylor) worked for. One of the writers had worked for Cybill Shephard as a nanny. Also creator Alan Ball has worked on her sitcom.

Annette Benning as Carolyn Bernham in American Beauty. Interview with Alan Ball- "...hating his job, you know, having to run Cybill. There's a lot of Cybill in Carolyn. There's a lot of me in Ricky, there's a lot of my dad in the Colonel, and there's a lot of my mom in the Colonel's wife...."

And of course, Cybill Shepherd as Cybill Sheridan on Cybill– Cybill is a middle aged actress who has had a varied, though mediocre career (which, even in her salad days, seems to have consisted primarily of television commercials, soap operas, and B-movies). She now finds that, due to her age, roles are becoming harder to find and that the quality of roles she is offered is diminishing. Her fortunes seem to vary over the course of the series. Sometimes, she has consistent work and appears to be relatively wealthy, other times, she scrambles to find and keep jobs, and seems to be struggling financially; this inconsistency the most successful actors tend to have their professional ups and downs, both financially and creatively.

What say you guys. She's really not that interesting of a person, but str8 dudes love having a piece like her on their arm.

by Anonymousreply 13May 20, 2024 1:50 PM

Maddie Hayes was written for her.

by Anonymousreply 1May 10, 2024 3:04 AM

Bogdonovich did not direct “Irreconcilable Differences.”

But, yes, Cybill has certainly proven an inspiration. I was just thinking of what is essentially the subject of your thread while reading the “Moonlighting” thread.

by Anonymousreply 2May 10, 2024 4:12 AM

Love her

by Anonymousreply 3May 10, 2024 4:25 AM

CSI "Two and a Half Deaths" - the team investigates the death of TV star Annabelle. This character has obvious parallels with Roseanne, but some of the script mimics an episode of Cybill in which she and her friend go to Vegas to waste Dr. Dick's credit card balance.

by Anonymousreply 4May 10, 2024 7:27 PM

I created this thread a week ago. Never really took off.

What is it about her that people find so interesting? Was it simply her beauty?

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2024 1:57 AM

R5 She’s definitely that “cold beauty” type that men are attracted to and blindly chase. I’m guessing with her, the men in her life found something they weren’t completely satisfied with and the neurotic bits. This coupled with her looks makes for a great fictional character but not a partner. Just my take on it.

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2024 2:14 AM

Loved Irreconcilable Differences and Stone walked off with the picture.

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2024 3:17 AM

American Beauty didn't hold up for a lot of reasons.

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2024 4:04 AM

The only part of American Beauty that matters is the video of plastic bag caught in the wind.

The rest is ephemera

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2024 4:14 AM

The plastic bag was stupid.

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2024 4:27 AM

R6 thank you for your astute analysis.

by Anonymousreply 11May 20, 2024 4:15 AM

Sharon’s chameleon-like skills were on strong display in “Irreconcilable Differences,” channeling the essence of Cybill Shepherd while making her own unforgettable imprint on the character.

This was the coming-out party in her ascension to stardom. A brilliant acting tour-de-force.

by Anonymousreply 12May 20, 2024 4:24 AM

[quote]I created this thread a week ago. Never really took off.

You might've had better luck if you'd spelled her name correctly.

by Anonymousreply 13May 20, 2024 1:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!