Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bea Arthur and Betty White Sing about Friendship Just Moments after Betty won the Emmy over Bea and Rue

I found this clip from the end of the 1986 Emmy Awards. Betty had won the Emmy for Lead Actress in a Comedy literally just minutes before, which by all accounts, pissed off Bea to no end. There is no evidence of hostility in this clip. Either Bea is acting for the cameras, or she's still in denial and the anger hadn't had time to settle yet.

Also, why does Bea get to sing the whole first part of the song by herself, and the other three just get a line or two? Poor Rue just gets a few words.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377May 17, 2024 8:03 PM

Betty rubs Bea's back and Bea does not reciprocate

by Anonymousreply 1May 1, 2024 11:45 PM

Finally. A real DataLounge thread!

by Anonymousreply 2May 1, 2024 11:47 PM

Eve Arden looks terrible.

by Anonymousreply 3May 1, 2024 11:47 PM

That would suck having to perform after you just lost

by Anonymousreply 4May 1, 2024 11:48 PM

And it sounds like Eve's mike went out.

by Anonymousreply 5May 1, 2024 11:49 PM

The 1986 Emmys should have been a glorious time for the Golden Girls. Instead, it was chilly on the set the next morning because Bea and Susan Harris (nominated for writing the pilot but lost to fellow GG writers Barry Fanaro and Mort Nathan) were pissed about losing. You'd think winning Best Comedy Series is something they would all celebrate.

by Anonymousreply 6May 1, 2024 11:54 PM

Was Beatrice given the opening of the song because she is the one most associated as a Broadway singer?

by Anonymousreply 7May 1, 2024 11:57 PM

I should have been given opening part of the song!

by Anonymousreply 8May 2, 2024 12:01 AM

If Bea had submitted "Guess Who's Coming to the Wedding" instead of "The Triangle," she may very well have won.

by Anonymousreply 9May 2, 2024 12:05 AM

Another frump thread.

by Anonymousreply 10May 2, 2024 12:06 AM

Mort Nathan and Barry Fanaro deserved the Emmy. Susan was just bitter. In truth, Nathan and Fanaro wrote most of the show's best episodes.

by Anonymousreply 11May 2, 2024 12:08 AM

Bea's dress is damn ugly

by Anonymousreply 12May 2, 2024 12:11 AM

Susan deserves credit for creating the show - bravo - but also blame far the horrible Chronic Fatigue Syndrome episodes, which started the decent from quality television to the series becoming a parody of itself.

The last two years (three to be honest) were abysmal.

by Anonymousreply 13May 2, 2024 12:15 AM

All of their dresses looks like they were designed by their worst enemies.

by Anonymousreply 14May 2, 2024 12:15 AM

Season 7 was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 15May 2, 2024 12:17 AM

Susan wrote some good episodes but also some of the most infamous ones - Chronice Fatigue and Rita Moreno's barren nest episode.

by Anonymousreply 16May 2, 2024 12:18 AM

Rue's dress is noticably hideous! I wonder if even as she was singing the song, Bea was plotting her revenge and plotting how she was going to order three bean burritos from Del Taco on the way to the set one morning so that right before the lunch break she would be ready to "drop some friends off" on the floor of Betty's dressing room.

by Anonymousreply 17May 2, 2024 12:18 AM

R13- Sorry but GG was never that good to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 18May 2, 2024 12:19 AM

[quote] Season 7 was horrible.

I stop watching reruns after Season 4. And even some of that is questionable.

When they turned Rose into the Valene Ewing of “The Golden Girls,” it was time to jump ship.

by Anonymousreply 19May 2, 2024 12:20 AM

[quote] Sorry but GG was never that good to begin with.

Then why the fuck are you in this thread?

Go start an “ALF” thread where you can be happy.

by Anonymousreply 20May 2, 2024 12:21 AM

Bea was given top billing in the number because, out of everyone on that stage, she had the best voice, the biggest musical theater career, and the biggest schlong.

by Anonymousreply 21May 2, 2024 12:22 AM

OP- In that video are all of the older guest stars of Love Boat.

by Anonymousreply 22May 2, 2024 12:22 AM

Season 7 was great! Seasons 4-6 have a lot of bad episodes each.

by Anonymousreply 23May 2, 2024 12:24 AM

R23=Posey McGlinn

by Anonymousreply 24May 2, 2024 12:25 AM

I thought that R23 sounded more like an image consultant who eschews labels.

by Anonymousreply 25May 2, 2024 12:32 AM

Harris barely wrote any episodes. She was having health issues from the start.

by Anonymousreply 26May 2, 2024 12:34 AM

She could barely lift her arms in the shower to wash her hair!

by Anonymousreply 27May 2, 2024 12:35 AM

I hated how nasty some of the writing got in the end. Dorothy referring to the other girls as “a slut and a moron” got an easy laugh but really didn’t feel like something she’d have said after all those years.

But I also love some episodes from the final season like “The Case of the Libertine Belle,” “Journey to the Center of Attention” and the lesbian lovers of Miami episode.

by Anonymousreply 28May 2, 2024 12:37 AM

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome screams late 80s, attention whore. It was the nonbinary of its time.

by Anonymousreply 29May 2, 2024 12:39 AM

They gave Susan Harris a producing credit in the 2nd season so she could get an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 30May 2, 2024 12:45 AM

Was Jayne Meadows there with her twin sister?

by Anonymousreply 31May 2, 2024 12:47 AM

Bea's thinking, "Betty, you fucking cunt!"

by Anonymousreply 32May 2, 2024 12:52 AM

Cast list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 2, 2024 12:58 AM

What are Shari Lewis and Lambchop doing there?

by Anonymousreply 34May 2, 2024 1:03 AM

LOL @ Imogene Coca really getting into it!

by Anonymousreply 35May 2, 2024 1:04 AM

R34 You beat me to it! I was just reading about what Shari was doing in 1986 and didn’t find anything. She returned to TV in the 1990s. Sadly, she died in 1998 from viral pneumonia after chemo for inoperable uterine cancer. She was only 65 years old.

by Anonymousreply 36May 2, 2024 1:13 AM

I think I actually like the song they're singing.

by Anonymousreply 37May 2, 2024 1:16 AM

The infamous chronic fatigue episode does in fact contain my favorite Rue performance in the whole series (the whole insomnia /tortured writer bit, "I see little balls of sunshine in a bag!")

by Anonymousreply 38May 2, 2024 1:16 AM

Bea did an interview on the Tonight Show (with Bill Cosby filling in for Johnny Carson) a couple of weeks after this show. Bea spends most of the time talking about her Emmy win for Maude and how the dress she wore to the recent Emmys was one she had worn in public before.

Betty winning was not mentioned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 2, 2024 1:18 AM

What's really strange is that Lucy was on earlier in the evening presenting an honorary award to Red Skeleton.

Yet neither Red or Lucy are in the finale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 2, 2024 1:21 AM

When Betty walks out, I keep waiting for Bea to push her offstage.

by Anonymousreply 41May 2, 2024 1:34 AM

Bea was too tired to push.

by Anonymousreply 42May 2, 2024 1:54 AM

Gary talked her out of it, r40.

by Anonymousreply 43May 2, 2024 3:55 AM

Beatrice tries to upstage Sammy Davis Jr. and George Burns. She is shameless.

by Anonymousreply 44May 2, 2024 4:49 AM

[quote]What's really strange is that Lucy was on earlier in the evening

Speaking of Lucy and songs about friendship:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 2, 2024 5:31 AM

[quote]my favorite Rue performance in the whole series (the whole insomnia /tortured writer bit, "I see little balls of sunshine in a bag!"

That's one of my favorites too, R38.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 2, 2024 5:32 AM

Who is the man next to Dick Clark, not Milton Berle but the other side?

by Anonymousreply 47May 2, 2024 9:31 AM

Rue’s performance in the Chronic Fatigue episode is her best work — she’s spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 48May 2, 2024 10:23 AM

Does anyone remember who was expected to win? Why did Rue and Bea submit shit episodes?

by Anonymousreply 49May 2, 2024 10:30 AM

In the first three seasons, it ALMOST seemed coordinated that 2 of the 3 actresses would submit crap episodes, allowing the 3rd actress to win. Given Bea's resentment over losing, I guess we can safely assume that was NOT the case.

by Anonymousreply 50May 2, 2024 1:22 PM

Rue should have submitted "Nice and Easy," "Adult Education," or "Second Motherhood."

by Anonymousreply 51May 2, 2024 1:50 PM

Or maybe Rue should have even submitted "The Transplant." There were several Blanche-centered episodes in the first season, but I can't remember any hilarious Blanche moments in any of them.

by Anonymousreply 52May 2, 2024 2:15 PM

Honestly, I wonder if Rue would have had better luck submitting "A Little Romance." It's not technically a Blanche episode, but damn she has some moments. "Shrimp?"

by Anonymousreply 53May 2, 2024 2:36 PM

It's a disgrace Betty was nominated over Rue for S6 & S7. Rue deserved a nod for her work in the episodes George returns from the grave, Grammy's plantation, the legendary Rusty Wanker episode or "Made me feel like a lady episode".

Betty's nominated performances couldn't top any of that, sorry

by Anonymousreply 54May 2, 2024 2:41 PM

The Rusty Anchor episode is overrated drivel written by that awful Marc Cherry

by Anonymousreply 55May 2, 2024 2:44 PM

[quote]Rue’s performance in the Chronic Fatigue episode is her best work — she’s spectacular.

And she didn't receive an Emmy nod that season.

Only Betty (Best Actress) and Estelle (Supporting Actress) were nominated for all 7 seasons.

Bea and Rue stopped being nominated after Season 4.

by Anonymousreply 56May 2, 2024 2:46 PM

By season 7, the writing was horrid and mean spirited. I think the ladies, especially Bea, were also tired.

by Anonymousreply 57May 2, 2024 2:46 PM

R54 should create a fan fiction of all three leading actresses nominated for the entire seven-year run and which episodes they would submit.

by Anonymousreply 58May 2, 2024 3:23 PM

R58 I would love to! Someone on here pointed out that there was a lot of resentment that the three ladies dominated the Emmy category for years and there was pressure to nominate other actresses instead. I just thought Betty didn't do much out of the ordinary to merit a nomination every year over Bea and Rue

by Anonymousreply 59May 2, 2024 3:56 PM

R59 I guess in the nomination process, it helps to be popular with the TV academy. And Betty had popularity in spades.

by Anonymousreply 60May 2, 2024 4:07 PM

Does Susan Harris has one last hit TV show left in her?

by Anonymousreply 61May 2, 2024 4:40 PM

I wonder if the other ladies even spoke to Betty after the song?

by Anonymousreply 62May 2, 2024 4:59 PM

[quote][R59] I guess in the nomination process, it helps to be popular with the TV academy. And Betty had popularity in spades.

Not to mention that Bea, Rue, and Estelle all started out in the theater before making the transition to television, whereas Betty was a TV pioneer who began working straight out of high school during the medium's infancy..

by Anonymousreply 63May 2, 2024 5:01 PM

I wonder what was going through Estelle Getty's mind during that performance. Just a year earlier, she was completely unknown and there she is on stage with television royalty.

by Anonymousreply 64May 2, 2024 5:17 PM

For Best Comedy Series, do shows have to submit just one episode? If so, I wonder which shows they submitted for each year the show was nominated.

by Anonymousreply 65May 2, 2024 6:35 PM

Bea is really ugly when she says "unique."

by Anonymousreply 66May 2, 2024 6:55 PM

In "A Little Romance," Blanche has quite a few classic scenes.

1) God, I wish I was dead

2) Shrimp?

3) I went to my senior prom with a yankee!

by Anonymousreply 67May 2, 2024 7:19 PM

If Bea had won first, would the Bea/Betty feud even happened?

by Anonymousreply 68May 2, 2024 8:21 PM

Bea had first billing because she really had the biggest TV resume when the show started - she was the only one of the ladies who had been a lead on a TV show, and I wonder if she had pull around the publicity stuff, like being the one to sing at the Emmys and so forth.

by Anonymousreply 69May 2, 2024 8:28 PM

Didn't Betty have the lead as Elizabeth?

by Anonymousreply 70May 2, 2024 8:30 PM

Bea was never asked to sing at the Emmys again.

by Anonymousreply 71May 2, 2024 8:33 PM

[quote] It's a disgrace Betty was nominated

Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 72May 2, 2024 8:38 PM

Betty is wearing her victory bouffant

by Anonymousreply 73May 2, 2024 8:40 PM

Alternate history.

"It's a tie! The winners are Betty White and Rue McClanahan"

by Anonymousreply 74May 2, 2024 8:45 PM

R28 thats one of my favorite moments. They all mercilessly shaded each other because it was funny and meant to be so. In this case it was because Dorothy was on a bad mood and lackibg caffeine. It wasnt meant to represent realistic friendships. This is a show that changed the character's back stories every episode.

That said, I DID have a problem when they shiwed Sophia joining in on calling her daughter ugly, so I kind of see where you're coming from. But it's one thing for the shade to come from "friends" and another from her own damn mother.

by Anonymousreply 75May 2, 2024 8:48 PM

My only problem with the last couple of seasons is that they became more plot dependent and focused less on them. I missed the late night cheesecake talks where they just randomly talked about anything, they are what made me love the show.

by Anonymousreply 76May 2, 2024 8:52 PM

There was absolutely no warmth from the earlier seasons detected in Season 7

by Anonymousreply 77May 2, 2024 8:53 PM

R48 her best was in the show's second episode. The monologue to Stan is beautiful and touching. Oddly they never gave her alot more material like that. She acted angry more than anything during the chronic fatigue episodes and she never really moved me then. Only other time she did was in the "What'll I do" scene of season 7.

Rue had the best dramatic chops and it's why she had the bulk of the tearjerky momentsm

by Anonymousreply 78May 2, 2024 9:06 PM

R75 I thought it was all because of the stroke that caused Sophia to be mean.

by Anonymousreply 79May 2, 2024 9:07 PM

Season 7 Dorothy was just awful

by Anonymousreply 80May 2, 2024 9:16 PM

The bigger Dorothy's hair gets, the less likely I am to enjoy the episode.

by Anonymousreply 81May 2, 2024 9:36 PM

Bea lost! Bea lost!

by Anonymousreply 82May 2, 2024 9:44 PM

It was definitely Bea and Betty’s show in the pilot so I can see how there would have been a rivalry. Blanche is an afterthought who keeps going into the other room in that first episode.

by Anonymousreply 83May 2, 2024 9:49 PM

That was the longtime Miss America host Bert Parks next to Dick Clark, R47.

by Anonymousreply 84May 2, 2024 9:50 PM

R80 Pure character assassination. They morphed Dorothy from a strong, commanding character filled with agency into a shy, pathetic lonely heart with no life. Dorothy always had dates in the early seasons. Suddenly, she was afraid of her own shadow and terribly unfunny.

Bea’s performance the last few seasons - especially 7 - was so low energy. It was Dorothy on benzos. Gone was the booming voice and theatrical energy. She gave it almost zero effort.

I’m shocked she didn’t protest her character becoming unrecognizable. Maybe she wanted to be seen as softer.

Either way, Season 7 is garbage.

by Anonymousreply 85May 2, 2024 10:01 PM

Arthur’s voice became really gravelly as time went by.

by Anonymousreply 86May 2, 2024 10:06 PM

R80 I love Dorothy but my god she was propped to the high heavens in the last season. She was the smartest, Blanche was jealous of her singing, guys were falling over themselves for her, and that finale? It was a never ending prop fest to her greatness.

by Anonymousreply 87May 2, 2024 10:08 PM

R18 we're not allowed to say that here. The caftan queens will stomp their hooves and stampede until they get blood.

by Anonymousreply 88May 2, 2024 10:08 PM

Season 7 has the most cringeworthy, awful, and unfunny bits in GG history. I'm talking about that horrid Camptown Races scene.

by Anonymousreply 89May 2, 2024 10:20 PM

[quote]Bea’s performance the last few seasons - especially 7 - was so low energy. It was Dorothy on benzos. Gone was the booming voice and theatrical energy. She gave it almost zero effort.

The absolute worst in in the Cheesman episode where they get held up. Bea's reaction is so half assed and weirdly out of sync with everybody else.

She wanted to leave the show after season five because she felt they had said everything they needed to say. In a way she was right. Having her remarry Stan was a waste of time, and the finale was fucking awful and a betrayal to the message of the show. That no matter what, they would always be together.

by Anonymousreply 90May 2, 2024 10:21 PM

Almost remarry Stan I mean

by Anonymousreply 91May 2, 2024 10:23 PM

[quote] Season 7 has the most cringeworthy, awful, and unfunny bits in GG history. I'm talking about that horrid Camptown Races scene.

Awful. All of it.

One of the worst moments was the finale, where Sophia gives Dorothy some horrid speech about giving her confidence to move on in life as she prepared to walk down the aisle.

Bitch, you were in an old-folks home that burned down and she let you live with her instead of shipping you to another one! Meanwhile, you called her ugly and undesirable daily and hooked up her slimy ex-husband with her sister.

Good grief, what shitty writing.

by Anonymousreply 92May 2, 2024 10:28 PM

I liked when she almost remarried Stan but I didn't like when they threw the character under the bus again and made him at fault for the marriage not happening. They never let him grow, and it gave them an excuse to continue using him as a punching bag. That ridiculous shit with the stuffed monkey or whatever that was was in S7 almost cruel in how they ridiculed the character.

by Anonymousreply 93May 2, 2024 10:31 PM

Fat, talentless Marc Cherry seemed to turn Dorothy into his own, personal “Mary Sue:” an unlovable, undateable loser with no sex life who everyone hates.

by Anonymousreply 94May 2, 2024 10:33 PM

r86 blame the booze.

by Anonymousreply 95May 2, 2024 10:33 PM

When I first watched the series I was all about Betty White's performance. On my latest re-watch though I was really struck by Rue. She has the most moments of three-dimensional acting, where I believe Blanche is more than a sitcom character. There's a moment she has at the end of an episode on the phone with her daughter that's some of the most effective one-way phone acting I've seen on TV.

by Anonymousreply 96May 2, 2024 11:00 PM

I realize Susan Harris was probably still in the shower trying to get her arms over her head to shampoo her hair, but how did she allow some of this Season 7 crap to get on the air. Some of the scripts needed her attention badly.

by Anonymousreply 97May 2, 2024 11:19 PM

Speaking of Susan Harris, why did she not return to write the finale? It was her baby, after all.

by Anonymousreply 98May 2, 2024 11:21 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99May 2, 2024 11:31 PM

Estelle Getty was nominated? Her idea of acting was to move herself into position for her line, hold real still, and shout in a monotone the words she had memorised.

Betty White was more an actor than all of them put together but she didn’t deserve to win anything for playing that cliche character. Just compare the writing of, and White’s portrayal of Susanne Nivens to the Blanche role.

Even in her 80s she could turn something otherwise unwatchable into something mildly entertaining.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100May 2, 2024 11:33 PM

Susan Harris oldest son is a hot daddy.

by Anonymousreply 101May 2, 2024 11:51 PM

Harris was probably long checked out by Season 7.

by Anonymousreply 102May 2, 2024 11:52 PM

If you took all the George Aliceson Tipton musical interludes and establishing shots out of the show, you’d have a ten-minute episode. Same goes for all the Harris created/inspired shows: “Soap,” “Benson,” “I’m A Big Girl Now,””Empty Nest”…

by Anonymousreply 103May 3, 2024 12:10 AM

I agree with the poster above that Dorothy’s angry monologue to Stan in the second episode was well-written and delivered. You pretty much never needed to see Stan again after that as it just tied everything up between the two, even that early on in the series. Would that we could have had more of that.

by Anonymousreply 104May 3, 2024 12:13 AM

R104 I'm the op of that post and I'm glad we got more of Stan. I liked the character and his existence helped us shed light on Dorothy and her past and present. I just think they took it too far in ridiculizing him by the end.

by Anonymousreply 105May 3, 2024 12:16 AM

I wonder how the show would have been had Harris stuck it out and write more than three-four episodes.

I think the best TV episodes she ever wrote was the controversial two-parter on “Maude” when Maude gets pregnant and ponders having it or not and at the end of the story, decides to go through with an abortion. (She technically was not TVs first legal abortion as she only makes the decision and that’s it. No going off to the hospital scene.)

by Anonymousreply 106May 3, 2024 12:17 AM

I may be in the minority but I wished the show had kept going in the direction it went in season five. Seasons two to four were such a brilliant concoction of slapstick and seriousness that you really didn't need to do any more. Season five was less laughs but more character development and backstory with some issue episodes. You can see the Susan Harris influence (as well as the popularity of a show like Designing Women) on it that year, but to me, it works. The girls (except Estelle) were great actresses, not just comediennes.

The problem with the last two years in addition to the mean-spirited obvious jokes are the somewhat wretched storylines. With the Miles in the witness protection program only to go back using his fake name and career being the absolute bottom of the barrel. It's like they didn't even try sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 107May 3, 2024 12:20 AM

Dorothy and the fake Beatle story was the bottom of the barrel

by Anonymousreply 108May 3, 2024 12:24 AM

The worse was Rose discovering her long lost father was a monk played by Don Ameche and then never seeing him again. At least if you were going to write something nonsensical out of left field then milk it dramatically for everything you could. Instead it just seemed like a quicky solution to "what the hell are we doing for THIS episode"

by Anonymousreply 109May 3, 2024 12:26 AM

I do on’t remember the season, but Rose and the priest as her maybe dad was dumb

And the HIV scare was heavy handed 80s topicalism. “I could have AIDS!!!”

by Anonymousreply 110May 3, 2024 12:26 AM

R199, you’re right. He was a monk. That was still dumb.

by Anonymousreply 111May 3, 2024 12:27 AM

R110 that was season 6.

by Anonymousreply 112May 3, 2024 12:28 AM

Sophia becoming a nun. Granted, the show wasn’t reality but everything about that was dumb. The Rorshach test. The full habits. Letting an 80 year old into holy orders. It takes more than a week to become a nun.

by Anonymousreply 113May 3, 2024 12:29 AM

R110 I didnt mind the AIDS thing because that happened more frequently than we think with the transfusions and such and it was a plea for tolerance for those that suffered from that awful disease. Kind of hamfisted, but well intentioned.

by Anonymousreply 114May 3, 2024 12:30 AM

Why did Bea hate Betty?

by Anonymousreply 115May 3, 2024 12:35 AM

Betty hit her in the head with a fondue pot, r115.

by Anonymousreply 116May 3, 2024 12:37 AM

[quote]Why did Bea hate Betty?

She hated the hostess pants Betty bought her for her birthday.

by Anonymousreply 117May 3, 2024 12:52 AM

[quote]What's really strange is that Lucy was on earlier in the evening presenting an honorary award to Red Skeleton.

Oh, DEAR.

by Anonymousreply 118May 3, 2024 12:52 AM

r99 When did Martha Raye become one of the Golden Girls?

by Anonymousreply 119May 3, 2024 12:52 AM

Well, he *was* on the thin side, r118.

by Anonymousreply 120May 3, 2024 12:53 AM

120 replies and NO ONE has mentioned that the song they were singing is from the notorious Sondheim flop "Merrily We Roll Along," now a HUGE hit and likely Tony winner on Broadway with Jonathan Groff and Daniel Radcliffe?

by Anonymousreply 121May 3, 2024 12:57 AM

Audrey and Jayne were not twins.

by Anonymousreply 122May 3, 2024 12:59 AM

The only way to rationalize the horrible “Golden Girls” writing is to treat it like a multiverse. Every season is it’s own “Golden Girls” earth.

On one earth, Rose is her high school valedictorian. On another, she never graduated high school because she got sick and missed graduation (why she wouldn’t have just been given her diploma can’t be rationalized).

On one earth, Dorothy got knocked up in high school and was married to Stan for 38 years. On another, her kids are only in their 20s.

On one earth, the girls throw Blanche a birthday party. On another, they have to go to get Blanche’s birth certificate from the state of Florida - even though she was born in Georgia - to find out her birth date.

When the Crisis hits the “Golden Girls” multiverse, Earths 5, 6 and 7 are the first to be annihilated. Then Earth 4.

Only Earths 1, 2 and 3 remain.

And all is right with the universe.

by Anonymousreply 123May 3, 2024 1:17 AM

I always thought it would've been a better idea to have Bill Macy play 'Stan'. Those two had great chemistry together on 'Maude'.

by Anonymousreply 124May 3, 2024 1:21 AM

R115, one of the reasons relates to how she publicly addressed Estelle Getty's memory.

[quote]former casting agent Joel Thurm, 80, reveals it was because Arthur and Rue “Blanche Devereaux” McClanahan thought White’s behavior was “very unkind” to Estelle Getty, who played Sophia on the show.

[quote]“When Estelle would forget her lines, Betty would go out of character and keep the audience laughing by making a gesture with her thumb to her mouth and point to Estelle as if she had been drinking,” Thurm writes.

[quote]The gesture seemed particularly cruel as Getty was beginning to show signs of dementia and struggling to remember her lines, which forced her to rely on cue cards.

[…]

[quote]He also doesn’t believes that White “was intentionally making fun of Estelle but rather trying to keep the audience laughing between takes.”

Reporting on the same book/author from the Daily Mail:

[quote]A month after Betty White's death at 99, Golden Girls casting director Joel Thurm has revealed that her main co-stars Bea Arthur and Rue McClanahan did not like her and called her profane names.

[quote]Thurm appeared on The Originals podcast…

[…]

[quote]he recalled how fellow main castmate Estelle Getty began having issues memorizing her lines.

[quote]Thurm explained: 'And she [Getty] would write the lines on her hand, and … Betty White would make fun of her in front of the live audience.

[quote]Thurm also said 'Yeah, she called her the C-word. I mean, I heard that with my own ears. And by the way, so did Rue McClanahan. Rue McClanahan said it to me in Joe Allen's [restaurant]; Bea Arthur [when she was] on the set of Beggars And Choosers'

[quote]'That may seem like a minor transgression, but it really does get to you … I have no idea how Estelle Getty felt, but I know the other two did not like [White] at all.'

[quote]Back in 2011, White actually addressed the on-set issues with Arthur in an interview with The Village Voice as she said: 'Bea had a reserve. She was not that fond of me. She found me a pain in the neck sometimes.

[quote]'It was my positive attitude — and that made Bea mad sometimes. Sometimes if I was happy, she’d be furious!'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125May 3, 2024 1:25 AM

[quote]Writing several scripts for the show’s premiere season, Zimmerman questioned the way White treated co-star Estelle Getty.

[quote]During those early days, Getty was having trouble remembering her lines.

[…]

[quote]“That’s why sometimes [in] scenes, you’ll see Sophia eating raisins. She actually has the lines on her hands,” Zimmerman explained of Getty’s character. “So, when we would break because of a mistake from Estelle, Betty would go walk over to the bleachers and start making jokes. And, at the time, because I was close with Estelle, I felt, ‘Why is she making fun of Estelle?’ I was very protective,” he said.

[quote]Zimmerman and Getty had cultivated a close friendship while he was writing for the show, and he initially thought White was taking an opportunity to go “off making jokes at the expense of Estelle.”

[quote]Reflecting on the situation decades later, Zimmerman believes White was purposely deflecting away from Getty’s struggles.

[quote]“I think Betty was steering the attention away from Estelle, going up to the audience so that people would be looking at her over there and let Estelle have the moment to collect herself, look at the script.”

[quote]Zimmerman says White “knew Estelle had panic attacks every time we went to go film. You have to understand, Estelle Getty came from the theater, where you rehearse the same script over and over and over and over. In television, you’re always changing lines, sometimes in between takes.”

[quote]“Imagine you’re having these feelings. You’re used to being in a career of theater where you’ve memorized lots of lines, and then you’re in front of a huge studio, cameras […] And she started talking about how, you know, she had to go to therapy to help her work through her fear of those tape nights.”

[quote]Zimmerman also touched on rumors White and Arthur didn’t get along.

[quote]“During our time on set, I never felt tension between the two,” he wrote in the book. “I only heard stories and [bold]recently learned, from producer Marsha Posner Williams on a podcast, that Bea thought Betty was two-faced. Bea liked real people. I had the sense that Betty was more like Sue Ann Nivens, the character she played on ‘The Mary Tyler Moore Show,’ than she was like Rose. More conniving than the innocent airhead from St. Olaf.”[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126May 3, 2024 1:25 AM

Herb Edelman was great as Stan and had plenty of chemistry with Stan. His casting was not the problem.

by Anonymousreply 127May 3, 2024 1:25 AM

Betty sounds like a stealthy, manipulative bitch.

Cluster B White?

Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 128May 3, 2024 1:29 AM

I thought Rue and Betty were very close friends off set.

by Anonymousreply 129May 3, 2024 2:04 AM

Bea costarred with Rue on "Maude," and Betty costarred with her on "Mama's Family." So she had history with both of them (but not with Estelle.)

by Anonymousreply 130May 3, 2024 2:10 AM

I constantly hear about Estelle's problems with memory and dementia, yet she went on playing Sophia for several years after the show ended -- both on "Golden Palace" and then on "Empty Nest." If she had so many problem with lines, why did they keep asking her back?

by Anonymousreply 131May 3, 2024 2:11 AM

[quote] If she had so many problem with lines, why did they keep asking her back?

Because the character was - and is - a pop culture sensation and they were going to milk it, dementia be damned.

by Anonymousreply 132May 3, 2024 2:20 AM

I don't think many of you understand the concept of sitcoms (situational comedies).

Seasons 6 and 7 were perfect examples of it and thus hilarious.

You people are like the film critics who judge every movie, including comedies, as if they were Oscar-bait (i.e. serious and melodramatic).

by Anonymousreply 133May 3, 2024 3:17 AM

[quote] I don't think many of you understand the concept of sitcoms (situational comedies).

And you have no taste. That I understand.

by Anonymousreply 134May 3, 2024 3:54 AM

[quote]Reflecting on the situation decades later, Zimmerman believes White was purposely deflecting away from Getty’s struggles. “I think Betty was steering the attention away from Estelle, going up to the audience so that people would be looking at her over there and let Estelle have the moment to collect herself, look at the script.” Zimmerman says White “knew Estelle had panic attacks every time we went to go film. You have to understand, Estelle Getty came from the theater, where you rehearse the same script over and over and over and over. In television, you’re always changing lines, sometimes in between takes.”

I haven't watched this show (yet) but enjoy reading comments about it, and I don't know anything about the actresses' offstage lives, but this makes sense to me and I'm surprised it was only in retrospect that someone in production realized why Betty White was engaging the audience after Estelle struggled with a line. It's hard to imagine Betty would walk toward the audience after a cut and blatantly mock a fellow actress, let alone insinuate she had a drinking problem. It sounds highly improbable.

by Anonymousreply 135May 3, 2024 5:20 AM

Rue and Betty were besties behind the scenes. I don't believe for a second that there was any tension between those two.

by Anonymousreply 136May 3, 2024 10:46 AM

Raymond Burr should have asked Ralph Edwards how he got so skinny.

by Anonymousreply 137May 3, 2024 10:58 AM

I call BS on the Stan Zimmerman story above. He was only there for the show's first season. Estelle didn't start having memory problems until later in the show's run.

by Anonymousreply 138May 3, 2024 11:29 AM

[quote] Does Susan Harris has one last hit TV show left in her?

Can she concoct another fake disease to exploit?

If so, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 139May 3, 2024 1:56 PM

I am, apparently, a great outlier in this thread.

I find seasons 5, 6, and 7 to be the funniest of the series.

by Anonymousreply 140May 3, 2024 4:58 PM

I think the show was still funny and entertaining in the last seasons but I do think it lost some of it's heart then and some of the plot points like the ones mentioned were dumb.

by Anonymousreply 141May 3, 2024 5:12 PM

Bea had a reserve

by Anonymousreply 142May 3, 2024 5:21 PM

Seasons 1 through 4 are great. Season 5 was good. Season 6 was okay. But Season 7 was unwatchable

by Anonymousreply 143May 3, 2024 5:32 PM

I wish Barbara Thorndyke had moved in with them.

by Anonymousreply 144May 3, 2024 5:37 PM

I was at a taping of a "GG" episode ("The Mangiacavallo Curse") and I can attest to the fact that Betty was the only one of the four who interacted regularly with the audience. Bea was very aloof and ignored the audience completely.

by Anonymousreply 145May 3, 2024 5:44 PM

I'm with you R140. Seasons 6 and 7 were my favorites. I also think Bea looked her best in those seasons. The very short butch hair in the first seasons didn't work for her and made her look manly because of her strong facial features. She looked like a beautiful, statuesque ancient Greek goddess in season 7.

by Anonymousreply 146May 3, 2024 5:44 PM

[quote]I was at a taping of a "GG" episode

You've immediately been elevated to DL royalty r145

by Anonymousreply 147May 3, 2024 5:45 PM

R131, Rue said in some interviews that Estelle didn't have any problems remembering her lines on The Golden Palace and she thought it was because Estelle was intimidated by Bea. Even though Bea and Estelle were great friends, Estelle probably wanted to impress Bea and that made her extremely nervous. I think her memory problems on GG were a combination of panic and dementia but on The Golden Palace, Bea wasn't there so she was calmer and it helped her tremendously. Rue also said that Estelle was at her happiest on The Golden Palace. Dinah Manoff from Empty nest said that Bea was a formidable woman and could be very intimidating so I guess little 4'10 Estelle was very nervous around Bea.

by Anonymousreply 148May 3, 2024 6:11 PM

Pfffft r148

by Anonymousreply 149May 3, 2024 6:16 PM

That's Pffffthawkins to you, r149

by Anonymousreply 150May 3, 2024 6:19 PM

[quote] I don't think many of you understand the concept of sitcoms (situational comedies).

[quote] Seasons 6 and 7 were perfect examples of it and thus hilarious.

[quote] You people are like the film critics who judge every movie, including comedies, as if they were Oscar-bait (i.e. serious and melodramatic).

No dum dum. We’re judging it against its previous and superior seasons.

What the fuck are you talking about Oscar bait? It was an Emmy winning show during its first few years so it should be judged based on its prior quality. The awards dried up when the writing went to shit in the final seasons.

Your condescension is a fucking joke because your brain is barren.

by Anonymousreply 151May 3, 2024 6:24 PM

From a 2007 interview Rue gave to Entertainment Weekly:

"Since we’re talking about writing, did you ever have input on the writing or scripts of The Golden Girls?

Actually, it’s funny, the actors didn’t get to help writers. They were strict about keeping us in separate camps. And the way it worked was, I would say — being a writer myself — ‘This line really doesn’t feel right coming from Blanche. I really think Sophia should say this.’ Betty [White] would do pretty much the same thing. And Bea [Arthur] would say things like, ‘There’s just something, I don’t know, but it’s just not right.’ However, Estelle [Getty], the dear, didn’t contribute in that way because she was so out-of-her-level, above her head. You know, she’d never done anything this high-powered in television.

Well, from what I’ve read, she even had a hard time knowing the lines that she needed to know for the show.

Oh yeah, she was very, very uncomfortable.

But it doesn’t come off in the show at all. How was a huge secret like that masked?

We stayed after the audience left and reshot all of her scenes. It was grinding. It was hard. Poor little thing — Estelle was so humiliated and embarrassed. And then when we went on to do Golden Palace, she didn’t have that problem anymore. And I began to think perhaps it was Bea Arthur’s influence because she wasn’t on Golden Palace. I think she was somehow unconsciously intimidated by Bea.

How interesting. Bea is an intimidating person, but to make Estelle forget her lines?

You might also remember Estelle did Empty Nest for a couple of years after that. She was a regular, and she didn’t have any problem. Maybe it wasn’t Bea, maybe it was just a coincidence that once Bea was out of the picture, Estelle wasn’t scared anymore."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152May 3, 2024 6:29 PM

Bea always came off a bitch on tv and in real life. She was always complaining in interviews about everything. Betty and Rue always seemed like they could be very approachable in real life.

And Tallulah Bankhead was completely right to give Bea a dose of reality in regard to her looks.

by Anonymousreply 153May 3, 2024 6:36 PM

R152, that confirms my suspiscion as to why Sophia became so incredibly cruel to Dorothy in the last couple of seasons. The other women were comfortable "fighting" for the integrity of their characters, but Estelle was not. As such, she wound up saying a lot of things that were out of character for Sophia's established relationship with Dorothy. I love Dorothy and Sophia's relationship and find it an incredibly authentic mother/daughter relationship, which is why the horrible things Sophia says to Dorothy in later seasons are just jarring.

by Anonymousreply 154May 3, 2024 6:46 PM

[quote]I love Dorothy and Sophia's relationship and find it an incredibly authentic mother/daughter relationship, which is why the horrible things Sophia says to Dorothy in later seasons are just jarring.

MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 155May 3, 2024 6:55 PM

Idk why Bea was considered uggly at all but looking at the Maude episodes and she was infinitely more attractive (and almost younger in a way) in the GG than in Maude. Age actually favored her imo

by Anonymousreply 156May 3, 2024 8:03 PM

White and MacLanahan were the only two who could act. Arthur was okay if she was playing a version of herself. Getty was just hopeless.

by Anonymousreply 157May 3, 2024 9:43 PM

[Quote] Tallulah Bankhead was completely right to give Bea a dose of reality in regard to her looks.

Did you witness this exchange back in the 1950s?

by Anonymousreply 158May 3, 2024 10:05 PM

Betty's a cunt

by Anonymousreply 159May 3, 2024 10:36 PM

Bea and Betty dabbled in the homosex

by Anonymousreply 160May 3, 2024 10:59 PM

Dennis Weaver and Robert Stack are about to fly right outta there.

by Anonymousreply 161May 3, 2024 11:12 PM

Bea and Betty were so close during the first few seasons, but something happened around the time of season 4 that severed their relationship irreparably. Betty winning the Emmy first was just the opening salvo.

by Anonymousreply 162May 3, 2024 11:30 PM

R162 hears voices

by Anonymousreply 163May 3, 2024 11:31 PM

R163 yes, and it's Bea Arthur's voice

by Anonymousreply 164May 3, 2024 11:33 PM

Eve Arden looks confused

by Anonymousreply 165May 3, 2024 11:34 PM

Get psychiatric help

by Anonymousreply 166May 3, 2024 11:34 PM

R165 - she can't see through those glasses.

by Anonymousreply 167May 4, 2024 12:09 AM

It would have been funny if Betty would have walked out with her Emmy and a devilish grin and poked Bea with one of its wings.

by Anonymousreply 168May 4, 2024 12:16 AM

The rundown of who liked whom on GG:

Everyone loved Estelle.

Everyone loved Rue.

Everyone loved Bea.

Everyone except Bea loved Betty.

by Anonymousreply 169May 4, 2024 12:26 AM

Who cares. Whats great about all of them is that they were professionals and never let whatever bts issues eclipse the show.

by Anonymousreply 170May 4, 2024 2:15 AM

R146 . Wow, I can’t believe that I read…Bea looked like a beautiful, statuesque ancient Greek goddess in season 7.

That hair, the clothes, the jewellery, her feet, Bea looked like a butch drag queen by season 7. I thought the best she looked was season 4. I’m not sure what happened after that, but in season 5 she looked shattered, and her acting became lazy. Also for season 5 Bea had new teefs to replace the original manky grey stumps. This was when I noticed that her voice had changed, maybe it was the new teefs?

by Anonymousreply 171May 4, 2024 7:29 AM

It looks like Eve Arden was supposed to have one of the Damn Fews. But they didn't have her mic turned on. You can see her mouthing the words though.

by Anonymousreply 172May 4, 2024 10:16 AM

R5 saw it first.

by Anonymousreply 173May 4, 2024 11:48 AM

I agree with you R162. There are pictures of Bea and Betty sitting at the same table with Jean Stapleton back in the 70s when Bea was on Maude and Betty was on Mary Tyler Moore. They look like they're having fun. Bea would have never accepted her role on GG if she had hated Betty from the start. Why would you want to work for years on a sitcom with someone you can't stand? Rue admitted in her book and others have said this too, that Bea would take Betty's hand and go to lunch with her every day. In fact, according to Rue, Bea didn't want to go to lunch in Betty wasn't there. During interviews for the first 3 seasons, Bea and Betty are always sitting next to each other and they always find a way of touching each other's hands or hair. Starting in season 4, during interviews, Rue is sitting between Bea and Betty. So something happened around 1988 that destroyed their relationship. Bea was asked about Betty in a 1998 interview with Dann Dulin and Bea got emotional and didn't want to talk about it so you can see that she seemed sad about something that happened to their friendship. You don't get all misty over someone you can't stand and never cared about. I also don't believe she was jealous of Betty. Bea loved women who were very successful and brilliant at what they did like Angela Lansbury. She even loved and worshipped Tallulah Bankhead who insulted her the first time they met.

by Anonymousreply 174May 4, 2024 12:11 PM

R174 I think it boiled down to personal jealousy. Rue wrote that Betty flirted with the audience inbetween setups and was the audience favorite. Bea believed in the 4th wall and acted like the audience wasn’t there. Even though it was her decision to do that…it still probably hurt her to think the audience preferred Betty to her.

Everyone wants to be loved.

Then Bea stopped getting nominated for an Emmy and Betty continued to get nominated. A nomination comes from your peers. That probably hurt Bea that her peers preferred Betty to her in nominations as well.

by Anonymousreply 175May 4, 2024 12:27 PM

I think that whole Bea would insist on Betty being present at lunch was maybe a case of keeping your enemies close.

by Anonymousreply 176May 4, 2024 1:54 PM

If Betty had any decency she would have refused her later nominations out of solidarity with her peers.

by Anonymousreply 177May 4, 2024 2:18 PM

r177 = the ghost of Bea Arthur

by Anonymousreply 178May 4, 2024 2:33 PM

R175, I still don't think those were the true reasons for the break in their friendship. Why wasn't Bea jealous of Angela Lansbury? Angela was more successful in movies than Bea, more successful in theatre, winning 5 Tony Awards and she was equally successful on TV with Murder She Wrote which ran for 12 years. But they were best friends. And Bea knew about Betty's personality before GG. They were friends in the 70s. I just think something very specific happened around 1988 that Bea never forgave.

by Anonymousreply 179May 4, 2024 2:55 PM

Betty's nominations for s5-7 when Rue & Bea were locked out were for:

Rose fights back: she loses Charlie's pension and has to get a job with Enrique Mas

Once In St Olaf: Don Ameche is her real dad

Dateline Miami: clipshow

by Anonymousreply 180May 4, 2024 5:33 PM

R176 I once read in the magazine Closer that they started this sweet hand holding after their mothers died almost at the same time. That's when Bea started holding Betty's hand and taking her to lunch. She also holds her hand on the Merv Griffin Show in 1985. Bea and Betty also lived in the same neighborhood and would carpool to work. Bea seemed closer to Betty at the start of GG than anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 181May 4, 2024 6:17 PM

[quote]I once read in the magazine Closer

Tell me you were born before 1935 without telling me you were born before 1935.

by Anonymousreply 182May 4, 2024 6:34 PM

Were Mort Nathan and Barry Fanaro the writers obsessed with ebbing and flowing?

by Anonymousreply 183May 4, 2024 6:44 PM

You're waaay off R182. I was born on a beautiful summer day in 1816.

by Anonymousreply 184May 4, 2024 8:05 PM

Bea overheard Betty telling Rue that Bea's twat stank.

by Anonymousreply 185May 4, 2024 9:00 PM

R179 1988 was also the year they went to England to perform. Could there have been a big fight in England?

by Anonymousreply 186May 4, 2024 9:12 PM

I heard Bea and Betty shared a hotel room. Bea wanted to get hot and heavy, but Betty wouldn't put out. They would never speak again.

by Anonymousreply 187May 4, 2024 9:14 PM

Bea overheard Betty telling Estelle that Allen Ludden had a bigger dick than Bea. Bea and Betty would never speak again.

by Anonymousreply 188May 4, 2024 11:17 PM

I don’t think the feud magically started in 1987/1988.

I do think that you can be cordial with someone that you barely know and then a bitter feud can destroy it all.

by Anonymousreply 189May 5, 2024 2:26 AM

Who is that on Eve Arden's left? Jackie Cooper really didn't like him trying to hold his hand.

by Anonymousreply 190May 5, 2024 2:40 AM

It was after Betty received an Emmy nomination for S5 and Bea was shut out for what she believed to be Oscar-calibre work in her Chronic Fatigue episodes. She thought Betty was smirking at her and considering herself and Estelle the stars of the show!

by Anonymousreply 191May 5, 2024 7:29 AM

Betty probably made a wise-ass remark and Bea took offense. It was probably something stupid and Bea held a grudge.

by Anonymousreply 192May 5, 2024 12:50 PM

Betty came to work one day CHEWING GUM!!!!

I never forgave her.

by Anonymousreply 193May 5, 2024 1:37 PM

R193 Smacking my gum and wearing a backwards baseball cap.

See ya' round!

by Anonymousreply 194May 5, 2024 1:41 PM

R193 Bea, if you're floating around naked, I think we'd all be glad if you stayed away.

by Anonymousreply 195May 5, 2024 1:45 PM

R193 "In our father's kingdom, we are all handsome." - Oda Mae Brown

by Anonymousreply 196May 5, 2024 2:38 PM

^^For R195, not R193^^

by Anonymousreply 197May 5, 2024 2:39 PM

R196 Ouch! One of those saggy tits slapped me in the face

by Anonymousreply 198May 5, 2024 2:41 PM

Tittays in tha win' !

by Anonymousreply 199May 5, 2024 4:02 PM

[quote] Rose fights back: she loses Charlie's pension and has to get a job with Enrique Mas

Good grief, how many times did Rose lose Charlie’s pension? Or went broke? Or got sick? Or addicted to drugs? Or almost had AIDS?

It was like “The Perils of Pauline.”

by Anonymousreply 200May 5, 2024 4:13 PM

[quote]Who is that on Eve Arden's left? Jackie Cooper really didn't like him trying to hold his hand.

Looks like Bob Cummings.

by Anonymousreply 201May 5, 2024 4:13 PM

R198 Bea had nice tits on Maude before she had them chopped off and sold to Whiskas cat food.

by Anonymousreply 202May 5, 2024 4:21 PM

Bea had a nice dick

by Anonymousreply 203May 5, 2024 7:12 PM

If you watch early interviews from the show and bloopers, Betty has a way of ribbing people that can be good natured, but if you’ve spent all day taping and just want to get home, I imagine can get tiresome real fast. Especially as they went on and started dealing with Estelle’s issues.

I get Betty wanted to liven things up but I can imagine Bea getting annoyed if you’re making a big deal out of every error.

by Anonymousreply 204May 5, 2024 7:18 PM

I think Betty's relentless cheeriness and always being "on" annoyed Bea to a great degree. Maybe it was tolerable for a few years but by season 3 perhaps it was no longer.

This is embarrassing ... Mary! ... but i have watched all their Emmys oral history interviews. Betty is very positive about just about everything she ever did and everyone she ever worked with. Rue was very surly in her interview and had nothing to say for about 75% of what the interviewer tried to get her to discuss. Bea, interestingly, greatly favored Maude to The Golden Girls. Maude, for her, was a landmark show while Golden Girls was much more trivial in retrospect.

by Anonymousreply 205May 5, 2024 7:50 PM

Betty reminds me of someone who knows they're irritating someone but feigns innocence over it. Could be wrong..

by Anonymousreply 206May 5, 2024 8:00 PM

R198 Betty, you were almost 100 when you died!! Your tits were down to your ankles while mine were only down to my knees when I died so shut up CUNT!!!

by Anonymousreply 207May 5, 2024 9:01 PM

r207 Bosom Buddies!

by Anonymousreply 208May 5, 2024 9:02 PM

My cupcakes were moist and delicious. Men loved my cupcakes. Bea's cupcakes were dry and tasteless.

by Anonymousreply 209May 5, 2024 9:10 PM

Yeah, I always got the impression that Betty could be incredibly passive-aggressive and that would really great after any great length of time together. She said herself that she was very competetive and I can imagine she probably made subtle digs all the time about winning her Emmy first, especially since Bea had been the star of her own hit show before this with Emmy's to her name while up to this point Betty had been a supporting player.

by Anonymousreply 210May 5, 2024 9:52 PM

Ugh that should be grate not great...

by Anonymousreply 211May 5, 2024 9:52 PM

I somehow doubt Betty made many digs about winning the Emmy especially since she writes in her book about how winning was not to be spoken of on set that year since there were so many hurt feelings.

by Anonymousreply 212May 5, 2024 9:57 PM

Betty was always a long time Emmy favorite before 1986, so I’m really not surprised she was the first one of the cast to win. Bea had already won an Emmy for Maude and a Tony, so her acting this way seems petty and ridiculous. It’s not like Bea hadn’t won anything before. Rue had zero awards, and seemed to take everything in stride. She probably considered her win the next year icing on the cake, which is the way any award should be perceived. Your making a ton of money on a hit show is the biggest thing.

by Anonymousreply 213May 5, 2024 10:45 PM

According to Rue's book, Bea was none too pleased the next year either when Rue won

by Anonymousreply 214May 5, 2024 10:58 PM

During the musical finale at the 1987 Emmys, I think the producers went too far by having Bea standing between Betty and Rue who were both smiling from ear to ear with their Emmys in hand.

by Anonymousreply 215May 5, 2024 11:01 PM

We've all been in situations where somebody obtained something you want. Sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet and congratulate the person even though it's the last thing in the world you want to do. It's called being an adult.

by Anonymousreply 216May 5, 2024 11:04 PM

Maybe Bea did congratulate them both once and then wanted to move on.

by Anonymousreply 217May 6, 2024 7:25 AM

Bea asked Betty to lunch one time and Betty dismissed her.

by Anonymousreply 218May 6, 2024 7:29 AM

Tony Thomas is one hot daddy

by Anonymousreply 219May 6, 2024 12:11 PM

Tony has BDF

by Anonymousreply 220May 6, 2024 12:24 PM

Why were they so thirsty for Emmys?

by Anonymousreply 221May 6, 2024 12:53 PM

Just thinking that the Emmys are kind of strange for an actor compared to the Oscars because awards are given while shows are still in production. If two actors are nominated from the same film, everything wrapped months earlier and everyone has moved on by the time anyone wins. In television, an actor showing up on set the next day having won an Emmy while their co-star(s) didn't would be a bit uncomfortable, especially if the other nominees aren't gracious or don't have a sense of humor about it, and in an industry. (And even if they are or do, it would still feel awkward.)

It would be awkward to show up on set the next day after winning an Emmy if your co-stars were nominated too, especially if they're ungracious or don't have a sense of humor about it. If two actors from the same film are nominated for an Oscar, production wrapped months before the awards show and they're no longer working together. In television, the awards are presented during production season so cue the uncomfortable moments for some winners if other actors (or people in production) were nominated and lost.

by Anonymousreply 222May 6, 2024 1:12 PM

"If they're ungracious or don't have a sense of humor about it." is a big part of it.

I just don't get the big deal about these awards in general. Most people act like they validate who you are and what you do, when they're no more than popularity contests.

by Anonymousreply 223May 6, 2024 1:30 PM

[quote] Why were they so thirsty for Emmys?

Such pettiness.

by Anonymousreply 224May 6, 2024 2:12 PM

I suppose one could say Bea's Emmy nominations went through a brief period of ebbing and flowing?

by Anonymousreply 225May 6, 2024 2:34 PM

R223, you have to be incredibly competetive and incredibly insecure to make it in show business...

by Anonymousreply 226May 6, 2024 2:53 PM

Well I've just had a look at their Golden Globes record and it's a DISGRACE! Beaten twice by Cybil Shepard for sucking cock on the Moonlighting set?

The only one with a globe is Estelle for season 1 no less when she was at her worst! I wish I hadn't looked now, I need a cold compress

by Anonymousreply 227May 6, 2024 2:54 PM

Yikes, that should be competitive...

by Anonymousreply 228May 6, 2024 2:54 PM

Bea Arthur is one of the Golden Globes biggest losers of all time, with 9 humiliating losses.

by Anonymousreply 229May 6, 2024 3:07 PM

Shut up you cunt!

by Anonymousreply 230May 6, 2024 3:23 PM

Fuck off you gargoyle

by Anonymousreply 231May 6, 2024 3:37 PM

The Out of the Lanai Golden Girls Podcast has a number of interviews with people who were involved with the show and the Bea/Betty "feud" is discussed numerous times. More or less it comes down to a personality clash, but never interfered with their work. Low-energy, introverted Bea found workaholic, "always on" Betty to be annoying. Christopher Lloyd (the writer not the actor) and Winifred Hervey have also suggested Bea might've been slightly jealous of Betty's status as an "American Sweetheart" type. Also, it's no secret that Bea was never really happy on the Golden Girls. She was there mostly for the pay check. Rue talks about it in her book saying Bea was never happy on the show and as such Bea was distant from everyone-the warmth of Rue/Bea's friendship on Maude was not repeated on GGs.

by Anonymousreply 232May 6, 2024 4:29 PM

R232 I'm sure she wasn't happy because her husband left her for a younger woman and her mother committed suicide when GG started. Bea mentioned in an interview that when her mother died she started drinking a lot. So lots of hangovers and Betty singing first thing in the morning CLANG CLANG CLANG WENT THE TROLLEY, DING DING DING WENT THE BELL!!

by Anonymousreply 233May 6, 2024 5:04 PM

[quote]Cybil Shepard

Two words, and you got them both wrong. Brava!

by Anonymousreply 234May 6, 2024 6:12 PM

I honestly dont get why people care that much about "the feud". It was a personality clash but they always kept it professional and classy. If they had been shading each other non stop then I could get the interest but they never did, to theirccredit. So why dwell on it? The show is what matters.

by Anonymousreply 235May 6, 2024 7:36 PM

[quote] The only one with a globe is Estelle for season 1 no less when she was at her worst!

Someone hasn’t seen Season 7.

by Anonymousreply 236May 6, 2024 7:48 PM

R232, that's what they keep saying but Bea knew about Betty's personality before GG. They were friends in the 70s. Here's what probably happened: They went to the UK in 1988 to give a performance for the Queen. Bea and Betty shared a hotel room. One night, they had too much whiskey and Yorkshire pudding, emotions were running high, canes flew, one thing lead to another and Betty woke up naked on top of Bea. Neither could remember what they had done the night before, Bea accused Betty of molesting her and their friendship ended because of this. The simpletons of the world would never understand or accept that this is what really happened so they keep telling the same story of Bea was an introvert and Betty was an extrovert and blablabla. Bull.

by Anonymousreply 237May 6, 2024 8:25 PM

R237 so much effort for so little payoff.

by Anonymousreply 238May 6, 2024 8:36 PM

R234 who cares, she stole Rue & Bea's golden globes!

by Anonymousreply 239May 6, 2024 9:57 PM

Not quite R239

by Anonymousreply 240May 6, 2024 10:00 PM

The faux Bea/Betty fighting on DL gives me immense pleasure

by Anonymousreply 241May 6, 2024 10:12 PM

Betty invited uncle Milton for a reason

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242May 6, 2024 10:33 PM

Please! My dick is way bigger than Milton's.

by Anonymousreply 243May 6, 2024 10:38 PM

In your dreams, Bea

by Anonymousreply 244May 6, 2024 10:39 PM

R234. Neither is a word. Both are names.

by Anonymousreply 245May 6, 2024 11:05 PM

(Oh dear...I didn't realize that I kind of double-posted. I thought the words I first typed had somehow disappeared so I wrote it out again in (what became) the second paragraph. Sorry for the redundancy and confusion!)

by Anonymousreply 246May 7, 2024 4:02 AM

Make that: signed R222

by Anonymousreply 247May 7, 2024 4:17 AM

The Bea & Betty thing has just taken on a life of its own. Will people still be talking about it years from now?

by Anonymousreply 248May 7, 2024 12:33 PM

Bea started it

by Anonymousreply 249May 7, 2024 1:54 PM

What does Bea say to Betty at 1:43 before grabbing her hand?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250May 7, 2024 4:13 PM

Bea was upset because Betty had a full bosom

by Anonymousreply 251May 7, 2024 5:10 PM

R251 Bea had a full bosom but gave it away. Her loss.

by Anonymousreply 252May 7, 2024 5:59 PM

[quote][R234]. Neither is a word. Both are names.

That's an interesting concept. Names are not words?

by Anonymousreply 253May 7, 2024 10:53 PM

One of the best versions of the GG theme song I've ever heard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254May 8, 2024 12:13 PM

Thats a lovely version, r254

by Anonymousreply 255May 8, 2024 2:26 PM

Bea was a lesbian

by Anonymousreply 256May 8, 2024 3:32 PM

Betty liked the dick and pussy

by Anonymousreply 257May 8, 2024 5:40 PM

R256 How do you know that for sure?

by Anonymousreply 258May 8, 2024 7:46 PM

R257 Same question: How do you know that for sure?

by Anonymousreply 259May 8, 2024 7:47 PM

How do you know the sky is blue for sure?

by Anonymousreply 260May 8, 2024 8:44 PM

Silly R260. I mean did Bea tell you she's a lesbian? Do you know someone who knew her and told you this?

For Betty, I know she was on a list of old Hollywood bisexual stars compiled by an insider but again, no solid evidence.

by Anonymousreply 261May 9, 2024 11:43 AM

R261 Rue said she walked in on Bea eating Estelle's snatch

by Anonymousreply 262May 9, 2024 12:07 PM

After listening to some Marsha Posner Williams interviews on YouTube, I think it's pretty clear Bea couldn't stand Betty, even in the early seasons. When "This is Your Life" was going to feature Betty White and they needed the other three cast members' participation, Bea's first response was, "No fucking way!". Marsha's husband had to twist her arm to do it.

It's not just "different work styles." Bea really did have a strong dislike for Betty.

by Anonymousreply 263May 9, 2024 12:18 PM

R262 I think it was the opposite. Estelle could suck dick and eat snatch standing up.

by Anonymousreply 264May 9, 2024 1:48 PM

R263 She hated her so much she accepted to play Dorothy on GG with Betty at her side. Hmmm....

And I'm not surprised she didn't want to be part of This Is Your Life. Bea didn't like that kind of attention. She was still friends with Betty in 1987.

But in 1988, that "thing" happened.

by Anonymousreply 265May 9, 2024 1:54 PM

I wonder why Bea was such a cunt on Golden Girls?

She had been very successful in Maude, but that was years before, and her next show was a flop. She was nearing her mid 60’s when the Golden Girls started, so to suddenly land a show that was such a huge hit should have been seen as a late in life gift.

She was billed as the star of the show, she got tons more money per episode than the other actresses, she didn’t have the responsibility or workload of carrying the whole show herself, and yet she was a complete fucking nightmare to work with throughout the entire run of 7 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 266May 9, 2024 2:05 PM

I think she was pissed partially at GG's success. Angry people can get crazy like that.

by Anonymousreply 267May 9, 2024 2:15 PM

Bea was one of those bitter old hags who could never accept that her husband left her for another woman. Never mind how miserable and frigid Bea was when they were together.

by Anonymousreply 268May 9, 2024 2:23 PM

[quote] She was billed as the star of the show, she got tons more money per episode than the other actresses, she didn’t have the responsibility or workload of carrying the whole show herself, and yet she was a complete fucking nightmare to work with throughout the entire run of 7 seasons.

This could be her LinkedIn opening statement.

by Anonymousreply 269May 9, 2024 2:55 PM

Bea also seemed to be someone who lied a lot and was never honest about anything. For example, she denied being in the Marines when we have proof she was. She said Maude ended after 6 seasons because she thought 6 was enough and there was no reason to continue but according to Bill Macy, the show ended because Bea's husband left her for a younger woman and Bea was crushed and couldn't go on. She was never honest about her relationship with Betty. Ed Asner admitted that he didn't get along with Ted Knight on MTM. Jimmy Walker admitted that he didn't get along with most of the cast on Good Times. Janet Hubert admitted that she didn't get along with Will Smith on The Fresh Prince. Bea was never honest when asked about Betty. Just tell the damn truth already! In 2009 when she was given an award by Angela Lansbury, she was asked by a journalist how her health was and she said that she was healthy and would do another show if the right one came along... but she was dying from cancer. She could barely stand up. I don't know why she always felt the need to hide her true feelings. I know she was an introvert but she also seemed to be a pathological liar.

by Anonymousreply 270May 9, 2024 2:58 PM

R250 Bea says Betty was the exception when the man is saying until now leading ladies weren't older women.

by Anonymousreply 271May 9, 2024 3:38 PM

Bea’s mental issues turned her into a total ingrate.

She was in her mid-60s and was cast on one of the hottest shows on television. She won an Emmy and had one of the most envious jobs in show business. It’s nearly impossible for a performer of her age - not to mention a woman - to get a lead role in anything and they were nearly begging her to be a part of the show.

And what did she do? Bitch, bitch, bitch.

She was such an exposed nerve. So your husband dumped you. What a snowflake you are! As if that hasn’t happened to millions of people. You’re more successful and wealthy than he’ll ever be. But apparently that wasn’t enough.

She never embraced what made her unique and was so filled with self hatred.

As much as the gays love her, she’s a cautionary tale of how bitterness, paranoia and self hatred are more damaging long term than any perceived enemy.

by Anonymousreply 272May 9, 2024 3:51 PM

In Rue's book, she says after a few years, she too began interacting with the audience with Betty. Why didn't she experience Bea's wrath?

by Anonymousreply 273May 9, 2024 5:13 PM

R273, Because I liked Rue. She was nice and submissive to my greatness. She washed my feet. Betty thought she was my equal AHAHAHAHA! I was a theatre and sitcom GODDESS while she was on gameshows with her gay husband. CUNT!!

by Anonymousreply 274May 9, 2024 6:35 PM

Bea, at least I could keep my husband from straying with bimbos

by Anonymousreply 275May 9, 2024 9:25 PM

Were they all paid the same? I've never seen a discussion of their pay.

by Anonymousreply 276May 10, 2024 12:16 AM

R276 Bea was paid the most followed by Betty. Rue and Estelle were paid significantly less, at least at the beginning of the series. When they did Golden Palace, Betty, Estelle, and Rue had a favored nations agreement, so they were all paid the same.

by Anonymousreply 277May 10, 2024 12:39 AM

Reddit discussion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278May 10, 2024 12:42 AM

It was definitely Betty and Bea’s show in the pilot.

by Anonymousreply 279May 10, 2024 1:15 AM

I don’t think Betty won the first year because of some overwhelming popularity among voters. She simply chose her submission well. In a Bed of Roses was a great show with a good performance by Betty.

Bea probably would have won the first year had they submitted Guess Who’s Coming to the Wedding? It’s one of her strongest performances on the entire run.. She was good in The triangle but that’s more of an ensemble episode..

Likewise Rue should have gone with Blanche and the Younger Man instead of The Way we Met. That was just a bizarre choice.

I do think later in the run Betty got noms simply on name recognition. It’s baffling that she got a nomination for Dateline Miami over Rues work in Journey to the center of attention. Dateline Miami is one step above a clip show.

by Anonymousreply 280May 10, 2024 2:42 AM

R280 I think Rue should have submitted "A Little Romance." I know it's technically a Rose episode, but Blanche is hilarious in that show.

by Anonymousreply 281May 10, 2024 10:23 AM

What other ill-advised submissions did they have?

by Anonymousreply 282May 10, 2024 11:39 AM

Does anyone know their salaries?

by Anonymousreply 283May 10, 2024 11:40 AM

I am reading Stan Zimmerman's book. He was a writer the first year on the show, but wasn't asked back for season 2. It's an enjoyable read.

by Anonymousreply 284May 10, 2024 4:43 PM

Has anyone read Adrienne Boobeau's book There Are Worse Things I Could Do?

She said in an interview that she wrote a lot about Bea and her experience on Maude in this book.

I'm sure it's all positive. Bea was a saint on Maude.

by Anonymousreply 285May 10, 2024 5:51 PM

Bea wasn't a cunt until GG.

by Anonymousreply 286May 10, 2024 6:03 PM

Bea sure was a miserable old poop

by Anonymousreply 287May 10, 2024 6:21 PM

You miserable queens could have been stuck with Elaine Stritch as Dorothy. And either her or Betty would have wound up leaving after the first year.

Because you think Bea was a bitch?. Elaine would have left Betty’s blood all over those walls.

by Anonymousreply 288May 10, 2024 6:23 PM

Hell, Bea was probably even pissed at audiences for preferring Golden Girls to Maude.

by Anonymousreply 289May 11, 2024 12:45 AM

Girls! Girls! You're both bitches!

by Anonymousreply 290May 11, 2024 1:04 PM

You know who might have made a good Dorothy replacement AND added a bit of diversity to the cast: Isabel Sanford

by Anonymousreply 291May 11, 2024 4:11 PM

Isabel could do sarcasm and throw a side-eye pretty well

by Anonymousreply 292May 11, 2024 4:13 PM

[quote] You know who might have made a good Dorothy replacement AND added a bit of diversity to the cast: Isabel Sanford

She was even less fuckable than Bea. If that’s possible.

by Anonymousreply 293May 11, 2024 4:17 PM

If they had cast Isabel on Golden Girls, that would have meant that Isabel Sanford, Sherman Hemsley, and Marla Gibbs would have all appeared on NBC's Saturday night schedule in the 1980's.

by Anonymousreply 294May 11, 2024 4:40 PM

I gay gasped when I saw Lambchop. I love Lamchop!

by Anonymousreply 295May 11, 2024 4:54 PM

Boy is that some tired ass bad staging. And singing. And art direction. And costuming. And casting. She tired. Roll credits.

by Anonymousreply 296May 11, 2024 5:42 PM

[quote]If they had cast Isabel on Golden Girls, that would have meant that Isabel Sanford, Sherman Hemsley, and Marla Gibbs would have all appeared on NBC's Saturday night schedule in the 1980's.

Yeah, but none of them have an OSCAR.

by Anonymousreply 297May 11, 2024 10:39 PM

When did Betty take a dump in Bea's dressing room?

by Anonymousreply 298May 11, 2024 11:51 PM

One of Bea’s issues is that she viewed others’ successes as her defeats.

She should have been thrilled when any of her costars won an Emmy as it elevated the show and its prestige. Not to mention just being happy for a colleague.

Such a mentally tortured woman. She had success that most could only dream of.

by Anonymousreply 299May 12, 2024 12:53 AM

[quote]When did Betty take a dump in Bea's dressing room?

Daily, after her three-burrito lunch.

by Anonymousreply 300May 12, 2024 3:57 AM

I heard Rue left a floater in Estelle's toilet

by Anonymousreply 301May 12, 2024 12:38 PM

R291 There was no need for more diversity. Bea and Estelle were both Jewish women who played Italian-Americans. Betty played Rose from Minnesota of Scandinavian ancestry and Rue played Blanche, the Southern belle. They weren't all WASPs. And even if they had been, who cares? In the 80's people cared about the quality of a show, not how many brown, black and white faces were part of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 302May 12, 2024 2:58 PM

R302 Whatever. Isabel was still funny as hell.

by Anonymousreply 303May 12, 2024 3:08 PM

R303 And unlike Bea, Isabel would have been a delight to work with.

by Anonymousreply 304May 12, 2024 3:17 PM

I was always a delight to work with, you cunt.

by Anonymousreply 305May 12, 2024 3:23 PM

Angela Lansbury on The Rosie O'Donnell Show in 1999:

"We go to the movies together and you know, Bea, she's a very private person and we slip down to the little Santa Monica movie houses and we go see all the movies that you wouldn't want to be caught dead seeing you know, but we go with our dark glasses, these two old gals. Yeah, we watch everything."

I wonder if they went to porn theatres?

Do any of you remember seeing them together in Santa Monica?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306May 12, 2024 4:46 PM

I'm not sure I want to think about Bea Arthur and Angela Lansbury in a porn theater.

by Anonymousreply 307May 13, 2024 12:24 AM

I'd rather think about them in a porn THEATER than in a porn MOVIE.

by Anonymousreply 308May 13, 2024 3:44 AM

Touche r308. Touche

by Anonymousreply 309May 13, 2024 12:35 PM

Wasn't there a post about some DLers who saw Bea and Angela completely drunk in a movie theatre in 1998? They were apparently laughing hysterically while watching the movie The Opposite Of Sex.

by Anonymousreply 310May 13, 2024 2:02 PM

R310. Yes, that story is in Stan Zimmerman's book.

by Anonymousreply 311May 13, 2024 2:22 PM

Stan Zimmerman is a cutie

by Anonymousreply 312May 13, 2024 5:24 PM

This should lay to rest any rumors of Betty and Rue not getting along.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313May 13, 2024 7:43 PM

Susan Harris is just as bad as Bea regarding the Emmys. Susan lost to the writing team of Fanaro and Nathan that SHE hired because she didn't want the day-to-day responsibilities of running Golden Girls. You think she'd be happy that her show won and that they had hired some excellent writers on staff, allowing Susan to stay home and nurse her CFS.

by Anonymousreply 314May 14, 2024 1:20 AM

We went to the Golden Girls pop-up restaurant last summer in Chicago. We had such a good time. It was just like seeing the actual show sets.

by Anonymousreply 315May 14, 2024 12:57 PM

Nobody ever has a Bea Arthur story that doesn't involve her being sloppy drunk.

by Anonymousreply 316May 14, 2024 1:39 PM

R316 Winifred Hervey liked Bea the most.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317May 14, 2024 2:38 PM

Dorothy was the best character on the show, but Bea was insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 318May 14, 2024 9:00 PM

Bea was an old bitch

by Anonymousreply 319May 15, 2024 12:31 AM

I am not interested in doing "Maude and Vivian Meet Sue Ann Nivens."

by Anonymousreply 320May 15, 2024 12:49 PM

I heard the character of Blanche was described in the original pilot script as a "Bea Arthur type."

by Anonymousreply 321May 15, 2024 4:24 PM

The character of Coco was originally described as an Esther Rolle type.

by Anonymousreply 322May 15, 2024 5:23 PM

With next year being the 40th anniversary since GG premiered, I wonder if NBC will do anything special to commemorate the occasion. Might be kind of cool if they did something along the lines of Norman Lear's Live in Front of a Studio Audience.

by Anonymousreply 323May 15, 2024 7:33 PM

Bea's experience in the Marines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324May 15, 2024 8:48 PM

Bea denying joining the Marines. She was such an honest person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325May 15, 2024 8:51 PM

Happy 102nd birthday to Bea.

by Anonymousreply 326May 15, 2024 9:24 PM

That old bitch

by Anonymousreply 327May 15, 2024 9:27 PM

During her interview with The Television Academy Foundation, she was asked if she had any brothers and sisters and she said that she had one sister named Kay who lived in Montreal. She never mentioned that she had two sisters. An older sister named Gertrude and a younger one named Marian Kay who did live and die in Montreal. Her sister Gertrude was born in 1915.

Mysterious Bea.

by Anonymousreply 328May 15, 2024 10:06 PM

In the same interview, she calls Betty White "wonderful." No mention that she'd called to her a cunt to anyone who'd listen.

by Anonymousreply 329May 15, 2024 10:08 PM

R329 Yeah, she didn't talk much about Betty in the interview though. You could tell it was making her uncomfortable. She went on and on about Rue and Estelle though.

by Anonymousreply 330May 15, 2024 10:33 PM

Bea should have just been honest in that interview about Betty. "She's a cunt!"

by Anonymousreply 331May 15, 2024 11:58 PM

I hate that lambchop bitch

by Anonymousreply 332May 16, 2024 12:13 AM

I do wonder if something happened between them sexually and then Betty wanted to just be friends and Bea felt spurned. Betty did have some tig old bitties that people who are into that sort of thing might find irresistable. According to the actress that played Yvonne, Bea was def into the ladies, her in particular.

by Anonymousreply 333May 16, 2024 12:17 AM

In Bea's mind, she was the only leading actress on Golden Girls. Everyone else was supporting.

by Anonymousreply 334May 16, 2024 12:51 AM

No one has ever pinged louder for me than Betty White.

by Anonymousreply 335May 16, 2024 4:40 AM

[quote] Might be kind of cool if they did something along the lines of Norman Lear's Live in Front of a Studio Audience.

R323 Lynnie Greene, the actress who played young Dorothy, is still alive and could now play mature Dorothy.

by Anonymousreply 336May 16, 2024 4:53 AM

Betty's biddies were world class.

by Anonymousreply 337May 16, 2024 4:56 AM

When I was a kid I always thought those flashback scenes were somehow clips from Maud where b and Estelle had just also happened to play a mother and daughter. This is only because I only knew that mod existed but it wasn't in reruns or syndication and or anything so I never actually saw it. And also as a pretty unperceptive kid as far as what people lookedlike I think so I don't know if it was necessarily that Lenny green resembles be as much as I thought she did or just that I was kind of a dumb kid in recognizing people.

It was like when I was in fourth grade and several months into the year my cousin and I happen to run into my teacher and after my cousin remarked about her being pregnant and I had had no idea that she was pregnant. It was the same case with my mom when she had my little sister and brother when I was five and seven I didn't really ever notice.

by Anonymousreply 338May 16, 2024 7:46 AM

R335 Why do you think Betty pinged?

by Anonymousreply 339May 16, 2024 11:30 AM

I wonder how much longer Golden Girls will still be shown? It still appears to be very popular, even with young people.

Maybe they will release a new box set with the original non edited episodes, and cleaned up and upscaled or whatever they do to them these days.

by Anonymousreply 340May 16, 2024 12:39 PM

[quote] When I was a kid I always thought those flashback scenes were somehow clips from Maud where b and Estelle had just also happened to play a mother and daughter. This is only because I only knew that mod existed but it wasn't in reruns or syndication and or anything so I never actually saw it. And also as a pretty unperceptive kid as far as what people lookedlike I think so I don't know if it was necessarily that Lenny green resembles be as much as I thought she did or just that I was kind of a dumb kid in recognizing people.

It was like when I was in fourth grade and several months into the year my cousin and I happen to run into my teacher and after my cousin remarked about her being pregnant and I had had no idea that she was pregnant. It was the same case with my mom when she had my little sister and brother when I was five and seven I didn't really ever notice.

R338 = Rose, in full St. Olaf mode

by Anonymousreply 341May 16, 2024 12:49 PM

R340 The Golden Girls deserves a fantastic box set. You can only buy the series as separate DVDs.

Give the fans a box set with backstage footage, unaired episodes and new bloopers!!

by Anonymousreply 342May 16, 2024 1:03 PM

Susan Harris is going to be 84 later this year. She's older than Sophia.

by Anonymousreply 343May 16, 2024 1:06 PM

I have the Sophia's purse box set. Includes a set of Golden Girls playing cards.

by Anonymousreply 344May 16, 2024 1:12 PM

The box set should also include fresh interviews with the writers, Susan Harris, Tony Thomas, the guest stars who are still living. It can't be a half-assed effort.

by Anonymousreply 345May 16, 2024 1:16 PM

Each box set should include a ticket for a free slice of cheesecake at Cheesecake Factory

by Anonymousreply 346May 16, 2024 1:25 PM

Hell, they should get Cheesecake Factory to unveil a Bea Arthur-flavored cheesecake to mark the anniversary.

by Anonymousreply 347May 16, 2024 1:35 PM

If they do a 40th anniversary special on TV, I hope they don't let that awful Marc Cherry produce it. Let Fanaro and Nathan handle it.

by Anonymousreply 348May 16, 2024 3:54 PM

The box set should also include deep-dive hour long interviews with Deena Freeman, Hallie Todd, and the Jacoby brothers!

by Anonymousreply 349May 16, 2024 6:48 PM

Also, a long interview with Matthew Saks on how Bea felt about Betty.

by Anonymousreply 350May 16, 2024 6:53 PM

R349 They could also interview Yvonne!

by Anonymousreply 351May 16, 2024 7:17 PM

Speaking of Matthew Saks, the could do an extra on the box set where they talk to the four stars' real-life kids about their memories of their moms working on the show. Matthew and Daniel Saks, Mark Bish, the Ludden stepchildren, and the Gettleman boys.

by Anonymousreply 352May 16, 2024 7:34 PM

R351 "Bea stared at my boobs during the entire taping of the show. I was standing right here. She definately hit on me."

by Anonymousreply 353May 16, 2024 7:47 PM

The tall one fondled me.

by Anonymousreply 354May 16, 2024 9:31 PM

Bea was an older, predatory lesbian

by Anonymousreply 355May 16, 2024 11:54 PM

R355, they all are!

by Anonymousreply 356May 16, 2024 11:59 PM

[quote] Hell, they should get Cheesecake Factory to unveil a Bea Arthur-flavored cheesecake to mark the anniversary.

R347 I can see it now, “Bea Arthur Sour Grapes Cheesecake.”

by Anonymousreply 357May 17, 2024 2:24 AM

Oops

by Anonymousreply 358May 17, 2024 2:25 AM

It's funny how the order we all won our Emmys matches the likeability of the actresses.

1. Betty

2. Rue

3. Estelle

4. Bea

by Anonymousreply 359May 17, 2024 2:44 AM

Would anybody like a slice of Betty's "I Won First" Celebratory Cheesecake? Bea?

by Anonymousreply 360May 17, 2024 3:00 AM

I'd prefer one of Bea's "I never liked cheesecake" slices.

by Anonymousreply 361May 17, 2024 10:27 AM

R359 Estelle had the highest likeability of any actress at the time.

by Anonymousreply 362May 17, 2024 12:24 PM

I just finished watching Betty's 1997 interview to the Television Academy Foundation.

Part 5:

Interviewer: "Tell us about Rue McClanahan."

Betty: "Rue Rue Rue, she was awesome, bla bla bla, only good things to say about her and her character Blanche. Love Rue."

Interviewer: "How about Bea and Estelle?"

Betty: "Estelle is the one I've kept in touch with the most since the end of the series."

........................................................................... tumbleweeds.........................................................

Interviewer: Ok, and Susan Harris?

by Anonymousreply 363May 17, 2024 1:12 PM

R362, I'm pretty sure R359 was being facetious.

by Anonymousreply 364May 17, 2024 1:13 PM

R363 The Susan Harris Emmy story is crazy. "If I can't have an Emmy, I'm going to take my toy and go home!" Good grief. She and Bea are like two peas in a pod. These are grown ass women!

by Anonymousreply 365May 17, 2024 4:29 PM

Susan Harris arguably only wrote two great episodes: Break-In and In A Bed Of Rose's.

Transplant and End Of The Curse are decent. Sick and Tired is memorable for Blanche's scenes.

Heart Attack is okay but too short on laughs and I doubt it's anyone's favourite.

The pilot is ok but the poor continuity and direction make it a chore. I agree with others who felt it should have been reshot when it was clear the show was a hit. Wouldn't have taken more than a couple of days.

by Anonymousreply 366May 17, 2024 6:25 PM

The pilot was fine and did what it needed to. But nobody's going to choose it as the funniest episode. R366 Apparently, they did reshoot the pilot as much as they could to eliminate Coco. The problem was that in the first scene none of the characters except Coco was home for Dorothy to talk to. It would have required a major rewrite.

by Anonymousreply 367May 17, 2024 6:42 PM

R366 I don't even like "Break In" all that much.

by Anonymousreply 368May 17, 2024 6:53 PM

R367 not saying it wouldn't need a rewrite but Blanche could have been the one she comes home to as she didn't have that many scenes in the pilot and it could have established her vanity when she responds to Dorothy looking in the mirror and seeing an old woman.

I'm fascinated by the order the shot vs showed the first season episodes. Job Hunting was the second filmed but almost last aired that year.

by Anonymousreply 369May 17, 2024 6:56 PM

"Job Hunting" was apparently a very troubled script that needed a lot of work before it was ready for air.

by Anonymousreply 370May 17, 2024 7:01 PM

R370 I thought it was finished second after the pilot but held back? Do you mean it had some parts re-shot?

I'm fascinated by details such as major edits, troubled episodes, scrabbled ideas etc

by Anonymousreply 371May 17, 2024 7:05 PM

I'm not sure if they reshot anything. Paul Bogart and Betty clashed on this episode. I think I read that nobody thought it was a good episode, not very funny, etc. and pushed it to the end of the season so it wouldn't blunt the show's momentum.

by Anonymousreply 372May 17, 2024 7:10 PM

Here's a blurb from Golden Girls Forever.

“Bea was very happy with Paul Bogart. And he was probably great for other things, but not for Rose,” Betty explains. Two weeks before this episode’s taping, during production of “Job Hunting” (a troubled episode that, although shot as the series’ second installment, was ultimately delayed for airing until the following March) Bogart had urged Betty “to get really mad, and yell and scream,” Betty remembers. But “Jay Sandrich had set such a wonderful course for the character of Rose for me in the pilot, and to me, screaming was more Paul Bogart than it was Rose Nylund. I was very uncomfortable with it.”

Still, a trouper who always tries not to argue with her director—“I figure a director has a more objective view and may know more than I do,” Betty explains—she tried it Bogart’s way. “But it was just so un-Rose. She was scared, but she wouldn’t suddenly turn into a strong New York woman and scream. I just couldn’t find an excuse for it, and I felt like I’d lost the character.” Then, during a run-through of “Transplant” for the writers late in that week, Jay came back to observe the proceedings on the show he had helped launch—and noticed right away that something was amiss. Jay urged Betty to speak her concerns to Paul Witt and Tony Thomas, and when she was reluctant, he apparently did so on her behalf. Soon, Tony walked on to the set. “He told me: ‘Do it the way you think you should,’” Betty remembers. “And the next week, Paul Bogart wasn’t there.”

by Anonymousreply 373May 17, 2024 7:21 PM

Thanks for posting R373! Maybe Bea was annoyed about losing Paul?

by Anonymousreply 374May 17, 2024 7:32 PM

Maybe briefly, R374. But shortly after Bogart was canned, they got Terry Hughes to direct who they all adored.

by Anonymousreply 375May 17, 2024 7:37 PM

More from Golden Girls Forever:

Terry Grossman: Rue adored Paul Bogart, because he was a real actor’s director. But from the writers’ perspective, he was all about the “moments,” and not the jokes. The comedy was suffering.

Just as the show’s first season was starting, Susan Harris had been feeling sick, and so the production order of some scripts was changed. Kathy and I ended up being the guinea pigs, with our episode “Job Hunting” being the first to be shot after the pilot. We found Paul’s working style to be territorial, gathering the cast around him and excluding the writers. That wasn’t how we were used to working on Benson, and we complained to Paul Witt and Tony Thomas. When we shot “Transplant,” written by Susan, Paul [Bogart] did the same thing again—and that was it. He was gone.

by Anonymousreply 376May 17, 2024 7:46 PM

So Paul Bogart directed Rue's legendary flounce down the hall?

by Anonymousreply 377May 17, 2024 8:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!