Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Charo

Charo, the vivacious entertainer extraordinaire, has captivated audiences worldwide with her unparalleled talent and infectious charm. Born María del Rosario Mercedes Pilar Martínez Molina Baeza in Spain, she burst onto the scene with a magnetic presence that transcended narrow show biz categories.

Her musical prowess knows no bounds, as her mesmerizing vocals and electrifying guitar skills have earned her acclaim in genres ranging from flamenco to pop. A virtuoso dancer, Charo's dynamic performances have left audiences in awe, her rhythmic movements a testament to her unparalleled discipline and artistry.

But Charo is more than just a performer—she's a comedic powerhouse, known for her iconic catchphrase "cuchi-cuchi" and her ability to elicit laughter wherever she goes. Beyond the spotlight, she's a dedicated humanitarian, using her platform to advocate for causes close to her heart.

With a career spanning decades, Charo remains a beloved icon whose influence reverberates through the annals of entertainment history. Her legacy is one of passion, talent, and boundless energy—a true testament to the power of music and laughter to unite us all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 11, 2024 7:07 AM

I ended up sitting near her having dinner with a bunch of queens while connecting in Atlanta once. Exquisitely random. Said queens lorded over her.

by Anonymousreply 1April 30, 2024 10:22 PM

She’s gotta be, what, 50 years old now, right?

by Anonymousreply 2April 30, 2024 10:30 PM

R2 She’s either 73 or 83, depending on what you believe.

Her son, Shel, is a dead-ringer for young Val Kilmer save for the wonky eye.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 30, 2024 10:43 PM

The son has - or at least had - a phenomenal body.

by Anonymousreply 4April 30, 2024 10:53 PM

Carol Burnett and Charo

LMFAO

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 30, 2024 10:57 PM

She IS Charo!

by Anonymousreply 6April 30, 2024 11:07 PM

Even though her naturalization papers give a year of birth as 1951, there's no way she was 14 in this 1965 video of the Ed Sullivan Show.

I love her no matter what her age. Why do people feel the need to lie about their age?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 30, 2024 11:13 PM

If it’s only one or the other, R3, she HAS to be 83.

by Anonymousreply 8April 30, 2024 11:13 PM

Cuchi Cuchi!

by Anonymousreply 9April 30, 2024 11:17 PM

She always talked as though she was juggling a mouthful of marbles - but boy, could that girl sing!

Here's one of, if not the biggest, hit she sang - hold on tight!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 30, 2024 11:19 PM

I saw her in concert. She's a helluva entertainer. And, of course, she said "Since ju are such a special audience, I know you can appreciate this" before five minutes of classical guitar.

Her social media is delightful.

by Anonymousreply 11April 30, 2024 11:21 PM

[quote] Why do people feel the need to lie about their age?

Zsa Zsa's only child, Francesca Hilton once embarked on a brief career as a stand-up comic. Her best line had to be that Zsa Zsa had lied so much about her age that she was now older than her.

by Anonymousreply 12April 30, 2024 11:29 PM

agreed R11, Charo's one of the rare celebs actually worth following on Instagram

by Anonymousreply 13April 30, 2024 11:40 PM

"Oh, that's believable. We've got a truck-stop, a schizo pilot, the woman in red. All I need now is for Charo to walk through the front door." (start at about 5:30)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 30, 2024 11:41 PM

I love her so much. I've seen her on TikTok lately looking amazing. And her son, omfg. Didn't they do a wife swap show with her once?

by Anonymousreply 15April 30, 2024 11:46 PM

Her accent must be a put on by now after being in the US for so long. I wonder how she really sounds.

by Anonymousreply 16April 30, 2024 11:46 PM

She once said something to the effect of, “The world knows me as a classically trained guitarist and the US knows me as the cuchi-cuchi girl.”

by Anonymousreply 17April 30, 2024 11:47 PM

[quote]She released her first guitar album, “Guitar Passion,” in 1994, and she has since been twice voted the greatest flamenco guitarist by the readers of Guitar Player magazine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 30, 2024 11:52 PM

Could people post some more exceptional vintage Charo performances? I'm getting a kick out of the Ed Sullivan one.

by Anonymousreply 19May 1, 2024 12:45 AM

Charo is basically the 💃🏼 emoji come to life, 'Mannequin' style.

by Anonymousreply 20May 1, 2024 12:53 AM

Her guitar passion album was the first album I ever remember listening to. She’s very talented.

by Anonymousreply 21May 1, 2024 1:15 AM

Sometime in the late 1990's, Charo came to San Francisco and appeared at The Stud. When asked what she thought of San Francisco, she said something like, "San Francisco is another planet." When I read that, I always pictured, Charo saying that in a heavy Castlllian accent.

by Anonymousreply 22May 1, 2024 2:11 AM

Charo had a surprisingly warm and delightful feel for comedy on Chico and the Man. In her first scene, however, she smothers the kid with her tits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 1, 2024 3:39 AM

Back in the old days, Charo appeared on the CBS - and Carol played Charo opposite her in the sketch below - love the 'Bob Mackie' bird seed bra that Carol wore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 1, 2024 10:57 AM

I just saw her at the Chiller Expo. Her line was one of the longest! Mostly KweenZ

by Anonymousreply 25May 1, 2024 11:21 AM

Charo and her disco album. I actually purchased this LP way back in days dinosaur roamed the planet. Please to enjoy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 1, 2024 11:33 AM

OP =. CHARO

by Anonymousreply 27May 1, 2024 11:48 AM

Schtick-laden stuff that was ultimately unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 28May 1, 2024 11:48 AM

She needs to be an entry in Eurovision.

by Anonymousreply 29May 1, 2024 11:54 AM

[quote]I just saw her at the Chiller Expo. Her line was one of the longest! Mostly KweenZ

Matthew of Boy Culture went to CHILLER too and said she was great. Everything I've read she was the hit of the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 1, 2024 12:30 PM

About twenty-five years ago I saw he play Babe r in a production of Crimes of the Heart at dinner theater near Rancho Mirage. Patricia Kalember and Marian Mercer were the other two sisters. It was a terrific production and I think everyone left the theater wondering why Charo hadn't done more stage work or even dramatic tv and film work.

by Anonymousreply 31May 1, 2024 3:03 PM

Jerry Lewis telethon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 11, 2024 5:05 AM

Love her! I didn't know she was a classically trained guitarist and was blown away the first time I heard her play. A very talented and charming woman.

by Anonymousreply 33May 11, 2024 7:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!