Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Noel Coward Songs?

I somehow (most of a bottle of wine related) ended up going though Noël Cowards repertoire on YouTube for the first time, and this song is amazing and still feels pretty relevant 70 years one and am looking for more suggestions. So does anyone here have a favourite Noël song?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 1, 2024 12:28 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 29, 2024 4:20 AM

r1 Thanks! I did search but couldn't find one . Though as someone who normally loves Patricia Routledge its impressive how much she mangles that song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 29, 2024 4:27 AM

I loved this double record set...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2024 4:31 AM

'The Stately Homes of England' and 'Mad Dogs and Englishmen' always amused me, and 'London Pride, written during the Blitz, always chokes me up a bit.

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2024 4:33 AM

[quote] and 'London Pride, written during the Blitz, always chokes me up a bit.

r4 That ones amazing. It really transports you back in time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 29, 2024 4:35 AM

Cleo...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 29, 2024 4:41 AM

Cook

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 29, 2024 4:44 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2024 4:51 AM

Not a song...

Fumed Oak from Tonight at 8:30

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2024 4:54 AM

I love Alice is At It Again, but my favourite line of all is from The Bronxville Darby and Joan, which is about two old married dears who hate each other:

With our deep subconscious minds we seldom dabble

But something must impel the words we spell when we're playing Scrabble.

by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2024 2:43 PM

I just realized that all of Henry Higgins’ songs in My Fair Lady were just Noel Coward pastiches.

by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2024 2:47 PM

Rufus Wainwright in lederhosen introduced me to 'If Love Were All', and I love it indeed. The sentiment would surely provoke a scathing 'Mary!' from DL, but its tender realism hits home.

Also it gave us Coward's too-modest self-assessment, as having 'A talent to amuse.' Nice understatement, but he was up there with the best of showbiz multi-hyphenates. Perhaps at the very top.

by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2024 4:10 PM

In terms of pure rhythmic bounce and perfect lyrics, there's nothing to beat Nina (She refused to begin the beguine when they besort her to/And in language profane and obscene she cursed the man who taught her to./ She cursed Cole Porter too.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 29, 2024 5:14 PM

Dear Little Boy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 29, 2024 5:18 PM

Noel & Gertie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 29, 2024 5:41 PM

"Why Do the Wrong People Travel?" from Coward's "Sail Away" recorded on the original cast album by Elaine Stritch in 1961

[italic]"Why do the wrong people travel, travel, travel, when the right people stay back home

What compulsion compels them and who the hell tells them

To drag their clans to Zanzibar instead of staying quietly in Omaha?

The Taj Mahal and the Grand Canal and the sunny French Riviera

Would be less oppressed if the Middle West would settle for somewhere rather nearer.

Please do not think that I criticize or cavil at a genuine urge to roam

But why oh why do the wrong people when the right people stay back home."[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 16April 29, 2024 5:48 PM

Link to R16 (audio only)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 29, 2024 5:48 PM

"Mad About the Boy"

by Anonymousreply 18April 29, 2024 5:52 PM

Doesn’t get any gayer than this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 29, 2024 5:57 PM

This one, especially when Coward himself does it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 29, 2024 6:04 PM

The Stars at Night are Big and Bright Deep in the Heart of Texas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 29, 2024 6:09 PM

Sail Away

by Anonymousreply 22April 29, 2024 6:12 PM

Oops ^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 29, 2024 6:13 PM

Coward's "Why Must the Show Go On," which appears in "A Midwinter's Tale" from 1996(one of my favorite films) is a great sendup of the entertainment industry from back in the day and is used well here. Coward was a great tune- and wordsmith, and this song proves it.

by Anonymousreply 24April 29, 2024 8:41 PM

Sondheim had an odd take on Coward. He said he was cruel, referencing Mrs Worthington (the old softie) and sometime operetta-ish, which isn't surprising, given that he, like his contemporary Ivor Novello, was, you know, intentionally writing operetta in the British tradition.

by Anonymousreply 25May 1, 2024 12:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!