Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rosanna Arquette: Can someone explain her?

I've been watching the Criterion Collection disc of After Hours and everyone on the commentary track, from Scorsese to Griffin Dunne, is praising Arquette to the high heavens, what a great actress she is, etc. I thought she was horrible in this, and I can't seem to remember any film in which she was whiny, nasal, and blown off the screen by every actor she played opposite (including Madonna, for Chrissakes).

Eldergays, why was Rosanna Arquette so lauded back in the day?

by Anonymousreply 35April 30, 2024 6:45 AM

In some John Sandford novel, Lucas Davenport explains that men like women with overbites because it makes them think of blow jobs. I have no idea if that's true, but, if so, it might help explain her popularity.

by Anonymousreply 1April 28, 2024 6:16 PM

Another NYPOST TROLL THREAD! Rosanna Arquette is a secret MAGA!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2April 28, 2024 6:19 PM

Sorry, that should have read any film in which she WASN'T...

by Anonymousreply 3April 28, 2024 6:19 PM

"In Your Eyes" was written about her.

And Toto's song "Rosanna" wasn't written about her, but she was hanging around their recording sessions and needed a female name for the already-written song, so they used hers.

by Anonymousreply 4April 28, 2024 6:27 PM

Toto said it best: "All I wanna do when I wake up in the morning is see your eyes."

by Anonymousreply 5April 28, 2024 6:27 PM

R4 sounds like she was a big slut

by Anonymousreply 6April 28, 2024 6:28 PM

I'm one of the several dispensable male roles that were not part of the play where we were talked about but never heard or seen.

by Anonymousreply 7April 28, 2024 6:31 PM

Who is willing to translate r7 into English?

by Anonymousreply 8April 28, 2024 6:33 PM

I never liked her or understood her supposed appeal. Madonna was better than she was in Desperately Seeking Susan, and Madonna wasn't even trying.

Patricia was great in Lost Highways.

by Anonymousreply 9April 28, 2024 6:34 PM

Looks like a "wrong thread" scenario at r7

by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2024 6:35 PM

R8 it is in English. See R10 for plausible explanation.

by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2024 7:01 PM

Not everything is for you, OP. Hope this helps.

by Anonymousreply 12April 28, 2024 7:18 PM

I have to laugh at that episode of Medium where Patricia had Rosanna as a guest star. Patricia commented about 10 times how beautiful Rosanna was supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2024 7:21 PM

I liked Rosanna in Desperately Seeking Susan, but that seemed to be the only way she could play any role. It worked for Roberta, but that seemed more lucky than anything.

And she was pretty, not beautiful. But she did have enormous breasts for her small frame, so I assume that's the source of the admiration of her "great talent" from straight men.

by Anonymousreply 14April 28, 2024 7:36 PM

[quote] Not everything is for you, OP. Hope this helps.

This is a stupid comment. Hope that helps.

by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2024 7:39 PM

You can see her face still shining through the window on the other side, Rosanna.

by Anonymousreply 16April 28, 2024 7:42 PM

I don’t recall Rosanna getting praised by critics back in the day. She had her period in the 80’s where she was trying to breakthrough as an actress to get to the next level, but nobody thought she was any good. That’s what I remember. Everybody thought Madonna was the more charismatic performance in DSS and that she stole the movie from Rosanna. I remember reading a review of some movie she did where the critic said pretty much the same thing as you OP. She always did the same whiny shtick.

by Anonymousreply 17April 28, 2024 7:46 PM

Proto-Nepo. Her grandfather was the unfunny Charley Weaver.

by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2024 7:48 PM

She comes from a big family of actors and filmmakers going way back who have been making movies both in front and behind the camera for decades.

by Anonymousreply 19April 28, 2024 7:49 PM

She was great in The Executioner’s Song.

by Anonymousreply 20April 28, 2024 7:49 PM

She had the starring role in Nobody's Fool (1986) but the movie was a stinker.

by Anonymousreply 21April 28, 2024 7:50 PM

Medium is a guilty pleasure (and calming in a way), but her sister Patricia is even worse of an actress than she is. Although there was one episode where she was playing a snotty, rich uppity bitch who was inhabiting her body where she did a pretty good job.

The episode with Rosanna as a cougar was laughable.

by Anonymousreply 22April 28, 2024 8:25 PM

She directed the documentary Searching for Debra Winger (2002). She interviewed a lot of good people like Jane Fonda, Vanessa Redgrave, Holly Hunter, Alfre Woodard and of course Winger, though perhaps inserted herself too much in the proceedings. I think she states more than once she had done bad made-for-TV movies just for the money.

There is a funny bit where she talks about an interviewer needling her about Patricia's emergence. "We don't see much of you lately. Are you working??"

by Anonymousreply 23April 28, 2024 8:37 PM

I know somebody that worked with her recently and said she was a nightmare. Total Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 24April 28, 2024 8:51 PM

OP, I completely disagree. I also bought the 4k a few weeks ago and watched it. She is perfect in it. In fact, I think After Hours may be one of the most well cast movies I've ever seen

by Anonymousreply 25April 28, 2024 9:04 PM

That being said, I think Patricia is the better actress of the two, especially in Bringing out the Dead and Lost Highway

by Anonymousreply 26April 28, 2024 9:05 PM

Liked her in Pulp Fiction

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 28, 2024 11:36 PM

R27, I am not a fan of that film, but the acting in it is consistently on point, Rosanna included.

by Anonymousreply 28April 28, 2024 11:43 PM

R4 The rumor about In Your Eyes was started by Rosanna herself.

by Anonymousreply 29April 29, 2024 2:56 AM

[quote] And she was pretty, not beautiful. But she did have enormous breasts for her small frame, so I assume that's the source of the admiration of her "great talent" from straight men.

Yes, I think so. She has the same appeal, to straight guys, as Jennifer Love Hewitt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 29, 2024 3:17 AM

And the cross eyed girl from Euphoria too. The great tits are a straight boy's dream. That she looks slutty unlike JLH is a bonus.

by Anonymousreply 31April 29, 2024 3:26 AM

She was good in Pulp Fiction. Totally believable as the cheap, trampy girlfriend of a greasy drug dealer.

by Anonymousreply 32April 29, 2024 3:36 AM

Looking slutty was my whole career!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 29, 2024 3:45 AM

Surrender Dorothy!!!

by Anonymousreply 34April 30, 2024 6:21 AM

Because of the song.

by Anonymousreply 35April 30, 2024 6:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!