Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mom takes her kids to SEARS in 1977

Mom was looking like Anne Murray and trying to impress other women with her Saturday Night Fever blouse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 27, 2024 3:39 PM

Why don't they wear seat belts?

by Anonymousreply 1April 27, 2024 10:10 AM

you watched that video and that is what you chose to reply with? incredible.

by Anonymousreply 2April 27, 2024 10:56 AM

Judging by those clouds I hope the bought umbrellas.

by Anonymousreply 3April 27, 2024 11:16 AM

R1 Most people didn't wear seatbelts in 1977. States began passing seatbelt laws in the '80s, and even then, there was a lot of resistance. There were safety campaigns such as "You could learn a lot from a dummy" to try to change that. For generations, there hadn't been seatbelts and it was difficult to get people to wear them because they just didn't see a need.

Loved watching this, as short and simple as it was. Really took me back. I was at a mall around Christmastime last year and it was so different compared to 1977. Everybody was fat and covered in tattoos and piercings, with neon hair. I'm talking people in their late thirties and younger. I'm not clutching my pearls, I just find such things aesthetically displeasing.

by Anonymousreply 4April 27, 2024 11:21 AM

OP, I love this clip - thank you for posting. I'm 55 and was about the same age as the girl in the video, and hell yes, I had a pair of brown Earth shoes JUST LIKE the ones her mother bought her. I loved those ugly shoes; they made me feel special on my first day of school. My mother also wore those sandal-style shoes (with Leggs knee-highs, bien sur!) and had a short hairstyle like the video mother--it was practical and not unattractive. (Nowadays, all the suburban MOMS want to keep their hair in highlighted beachy waves down to their bra straps so you know they're HAWT and hot to trot even though they are MOMS.....)

I can imagine people laughing and ridiculing the family in the video, but really, they are well mannered, nicely put together, and unassuming. The mother seems truly interested in taking care of her kids, and the family seems like a cohesive unit, interacting with one another respectfully. Today, if the family went out together at all, each would be locked in a cell-phone chamber of self-imposed isolation, fixated on the screen instead of other people.

Yes, I'm old.

by Anonymousreply 5April 27, 2024 12:07 PM

I bet those kids are all drunk and homeless

by Anonymousreply 6April 27, 2024 2:40 PM

What I miss about that time is that the clothes didn't have logos and labels. All that changed with 80's, Reaganomics, Image is Everything, and fuck you I got mine, mentality.

by Anonymousreply 7April 27, 2024 3:05 PM

It’s a cute video.

That’s a cool cash register!

by Anonymousreply 8April 27, 2024 3:16 PM

Was there really any good reason for a SECOND thread on this video?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 27, 2024 3:25 PM

R9 is our resident Thread Monitor! Love you, R9, but why can't we have multiple threads on the same subject? Not everyone will have caught the earlier thread(s). I look at these threads as second-chance threads, and I appreciate them!

by Anonymousreply 10April 27, 2024 3:27 PM

I wonder who filmed this and why? I can only imagine it was a family member who was doing a project for film class as I can see the shadows from lights. I noticed every once in a while a kid could not resist looking at the camera, which is a big no-no while filming a professional movie.

by Anonymousreply 11April 27, 2024 3:37 PM

Frankly, that other thread sucks, with a lot of hatred being directed towards the family. "They're a bunch of inbred hicks," etc. I prefer this one.

by Anonymousreply 12April 27, 2024 3:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!