Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'''Travel is so broadening''

Roughly three-quarters of Americans (76%) have visited at least one other country, including 26% who have been to five or more. About a quarter (23%) have not traveled internationally, though most in this group say they would if they had the opportunity.

To analyze how Americans’ travel experiences relate to their attitudes on other questions, we placed people into three categories:

+Globe-trotters have traveled to at least five other countries. About a quarter of the U.S. public (26%) falls into this category.

+Casual travelers have traveled to between one and four other countries. Half of Americans fall into this category.

+Nontravelers have never left the United States. This category includes 23% of Americans.

Is international travel related to views of global engagement?

International travel experience is also linked to Americans’ views about international affairs and their feelings of connection to other people around the world.

When asked which comes closest to their view, 57% of globe-trotters say the U.S. should be active in world affairs, while 43% say the U.S. should pay less attention to problems in other countries and concentrate on problems at home. In contrast, most casual travelers and nontravelers say the U.S. should focus on problems at home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 27, 2024 2:50 AM

I like traveling overseas but I don’t consider it broadening per se. It might be so for someone who never reads, but do they travel?

For me it’s just fun.

by Anonymousreply 1April 26, 2024 3:37 PM

76% seems really high to me...how many of those are just people who went to some all-inclusive resort in Mexico or the Caribbean? I didn't think that many Americans even have passports.

by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2024 3:43 PM

Of all the things I wish I could afford, I wish I could afford to travel more. I just came back from Mexico, for example, I was struck (among other things) the many symbols, signs and protests about the injustices reaped upon it's citizens by in many cases, their own police force. I don't say that as in an "America is better" kind of way, but more of a better understanding of the oppression people face & why they'd choose a perilous journey to the US.

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2024 3:51 PM

Agreed, the number seems high, or rather higher than is always suggested.

This study at link is now 6 years old but shows a huge increase in the number of passport holders over 30 years:

1990 4%

1997 15%

2007 27%* (U.S. citizens traveling by air between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda were newly required to have a valid passport)

2018 42%

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2024 3:55 PM

I feel pretty good that I am in the 26% who have visited 5 countries or more, but that said, I've visited JUST five countries, and I'd like to be in the "or more" category.

The five I've visited (and spent actual time in, driving around and experiencing some of the culture or natural beauty - not via a resort) are: Italy, France, England, Canada and Mexico.

I've spent quite a lot of time in Eastern Canada (having had a former boyfriend from there) and just a little time in Mexico (outside of Tijuana, we went camping in Baja, CA - that was an experience I'll never duplicate). Canada is NOT just like the US, by the way - it is different.

I'm hoping to cross over into the "or more" category this year, but as of yet don't have a plan as to where. I sometimes like to fly by the seat of my pants on those things. We'll see.

by Anonymousreply 5April 26, 2024 4:10 PM

This hurts the mythology that Americans don’t travel internationally.

by Anonymousreply 6April 26, 2024 4:24 PM

If you count Vatican City I've been to six.

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2024 4:30 PM

Is it really broadening when you just do sex tourism?

by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2024 4:31 PM

In the 65+ age group, only 15% are non-travelers.

by Anonymousreply 9April 26, 2024 4:31 PM

I’ve been to 19 countries in Europe, including Monaco and Vatican City and not counting Gibraltar. Also, Canada, Mexico and Bahamas, of course. Seeing foreign countries in-person makes me have less respect for them, not more.

by Anonymousreply 10April 26, 2024 4:44 PM

[quote]Seeing foreign countries in-person makes me have less respect for them, not more.

Just as Sinclair Lewis said.

by Anonymousreply 11April 26, 2024 4:51 PM

I think travel is broadening for teens and young adults. It also reinforces how fortunate we are in the States for a lot of things, and how sparse our cultural/artistic history is.

Asia- Taiwan, Hong Kong, Philippines, Thailand, Myanmar. I'd love to put Japan, but it was a layover for an overnight

Tahiti/Bora Bora

Bahamas

South America: Argentina

North America: Canada, Mexico

Europe: France, England, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Vatican City, Romania, Austria, Germany

US: Hawaii, California, Arizona, Nevada, Texas, Montana, Colorado, Utah, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Louisiana, Georgia, North Carolina, New York, Massachusetts

by Anonymousreply 12April 26, 2024 5:12 PM

Since r12 added it on his post (and despite the fact I've only been to five countries), I've driven through and/or visited almost every state in the U.S. except Wisconsin, Arkansas, Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Delaware and Rhode Island.

Born in Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 13April 26, 2024 9:29 PM

The “Globe-trotter” definition is hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 14April 26, 2024 9:35 PM

Yes, R14. I don't consider myself widely travelled, but I have 5 countries beat by 5x or more. Many European friends could quickly name 15 Asian countries, 10 in Africa, 10 in South America, 25 in Europe, plus Australia, the rest of the Americas... And none of them through corporate travel or on hurried tours. An American friend who is a school teacher has travelled to 65+ countries and many other friends have done their travel on the cheap.

by Anonymousreply 15April 27, 2024 2:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!